PDA

View Full Version : Tanus copies J'Quille

Jaff
02-14-2004, 07:52 PM
If you've seen pictures of Tanus Spijek then you should know that the figure is identical to J'Quille's body with the exception of his face! After seeing the picture I wasn't sure what to think, but after opening the figure you really can appreciate this figure even though they try hard to disguise the obvious usage of J'Quille's body.

So let's start with the body, and it's surprises. First off the tint is much darker, a blackish grey, and to make the chest of the figure seem different two jutting bumps (they look like stomach brests) are placed under the figures brestline. The only other difference is that the body does not have J'quille's front pouch and belt line. Although this is the only difference there is a surprise, and you would not notice this surprise if you do not open your figures. Not only does Tanus have a long furry tail, but the entire backside of the fig has a SKUNK line starting from the tip of the tail to the top of the head. You may be able to see the white skunk trail from the top of the bubble, but I didn't notice it in the package. It was a real neat surprise.

Then there is the head of Tanus which looks awesome. He just reminds me of Steve the Sloth from Ice Age and although I chuckle at the figure for that reason I do take the detail and the incredible way that Hasbro has managed to make this figure look different from J'Quille. When standing them next to eachother they really do look different.

The only real downside to this figure is it's stupid soft plastic rifle. I just threw the gun in a box with J'Quille's (both guns are identical).

This fig gets a B+

Kidhuman
02-14-2004, 08:11 PM
I have yet to see him,. but if he is just like J'Quille, then I dont see the bother to hunt him down as a priority.

plasticfetish
03-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Of the two, J'Quille and Tanus, the only one that I've found so far is Tanus. Found him this morning at Target as a matter of fact. It's a really cool figure... in fact it's just about as weird looking as it gets, and that's great.

Agreed. What's up with the lame gun? It's so thin at one point and it doesn't really fit the strange claw hands at all. Kind of seems like something Hasbro had sitting around from the G.I Joe line or something... not very original or appropriate.

I didn't buy him for the gun though, and now I'm really looking forward to finding J'Quille -- if I can -- 'cause these fill in the Jabba shelf perfectly.

Sidiously Darth
03-20-2004, 03:18 AM
I'm impressed that someone found Tanus hanging on a peg. I for one have not seen him except the one I received in the mail.

KH, don't kid yourself. You know you'll be after both of them. They are both worthy of collecting even though both have some of the same basic body parts.

My questions deals with this Elom's gender. What is he/she? The 2 hairy sacks in front are quite odd. Plus the added tail gives this figure a bit of distinction from J'Quille.

Here's a couple of pics to help you with these "attributes". I think these 2 figures are very different in many ways. :p

plasticfetish
03-20-2004, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I was very happy... and surprised.

My questions deals with this Elom's gender. What is he/she? The 2 hairy sacks in front are quite odd. Plus the added tail gives this figure a bit of distinction from J'Quille.
Well, I suppose I should change my, "Found him this morning..." to found her. Looks pretty evident to me what those are. Yep, sure enough.

Tanus Spijek (http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/eloms/img/movie_bg.jpg)

Sidiously Darth
03-20-2004, 04:10 AM
By George, I think she's got them. :eek:

Kidhuman
03-20-2004, 07:30 AM
KH, don't kid yourself. You know you'll be after both of them. They are both worthy of collecting even though both have some of the same basic body parts. :p

Yeah, I saw that when I picked her up the other day. Great looking figure, and not just cause of the external features. :D :beard:

AmanaMatt
03-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Not to be an idiot, but the 'external glands' on the J'quille (that's the right one, correct?) fig cracked me up. I do not mind the reuse of the body as these two figs are really similar, however, it seems that articualtion won out over the sculpt a bit. The one thing missing for me is sculpted fur to kinda hang over the arms and legs - similar to how the Chewie that came with the destroyed c-3p0 last year had- if they had this hanging off the arms and legs more, this would be near perfect - as it is, the joints are way to noticeable.

Due to this, I'd give the figs a 'B' or 'B -,' I am torn.

plasticfetish
03-21-2004, 02:22 AM
Not to be an idiot, but the 'external glands' on the J'quille (that's the right one, correct?) fig cracked me up.
No, they're on Tanus. J'Quille (http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/whiphid/img/movie_bg.jpg) has none... that we can see.

And yes, very funny.

JEDIpartner
03-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Oooh... nice boobs on that figure! :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
03-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Oooh... shhhhh!

Hellboy
03-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah I like this figure too. I'd say she's a step above J'Quille though due to the detail in the face.

Grade:B+

I love all of the aliens from Jabba's Palace but I'd sure like to see a greater variety of characters from other scenes in ROTJ being produced. When I look at my shelf with all my ROTJ figures close to 75% of them are related to this theme. Hopefully the focus on Endor later will change that.

Bosskman
03-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Elom is an awesome figure and I will get him, but those boobs are as disturbing as the scrotum on the back of Tessek's head. Yikes.