PDA

View Full Version : Dutch leads the Rogue's

Jaff
02-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Another pilot? Do we need another pilot? Yes, and then another yes, especially if the pilot's look like this figure. Without a doubt this is the coolest X-wing pilot I have ever seen, and if they ever improve on this pilot figure's outfit then I will be astounded.

First off the figure comes with a really unique helmet, complete with a strap (which makes it difficult to get off the figures head once you put it on), a gun, and another one of those Star Wars stands. The helmet is the coolest of these accessories and has some really great detail, you can really spend some time examining it's paint job in delight. The eye shield is see-through, just like luke POTJ pilot, but this one allows you to see the eyes through the shield better.

Starting off a the head, the facial detail is nice, and does resemble the actor pictured on the back of the package very well. His face is not something to jump for joy though, but the real thing that grabs you is the outfit itself. What an improvement. First off we'll start with articulation. The head moves, the shoulders move, and the gloves twist. One elbow also swivels, and the legs (hips) move. A nice surprise was that the knee joints bend even though they are covered up with the flight gear of the figure thus disguising the articulation. The actual outfit (cloth uniform) is sprinkled with wrinkles and fine material detail. The real surprise is the flight straps which ARE NOT strapped against the body. The chest plate is firmly attatched to the figure, but every single grey strap or tube is attatched to nothing, they just hang in all their glory! It looks awesome. You can (if you choose) attatch the weist part of the strap to the figures belt, or you can let the straps hang all over the place by not attatching it. I let the straps hang because it seperates it from the uniform that much more. The straps are soft plastic so they look well, but the really nice part of the straps are where they wrap around the knee, thus hiding the knee articulation well. The straps then go up the back of the figure just past the belt line. I did test the figure to see if he can sit with the straps all over him, and discovered that the plastic is soft enough not to cause an issue with sitting the figure.

All I can say is this is one great figure. A+

Sidiously Darth
02-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the review Jaff. This figures is on its way to my humble collection. However, I do have one area of contention with your review. Dutch is a Y-Wing pilot, not an X-Wing pilot. :p

Reefer Shark
02-19-2004, 11:44 PM
I just got this figure today, and I have to agree with your review Jaff.

Hasbro has really outdone themselves with this figure IMO! The detail is excellent, and I was really impressed with the knee articulation as well. It's disguised so well, I thought they weren't articulated until I opened it!

When you look at this guy next to the other pilots you really do see a huge difference in detail. Especially with the straps, very well done. :cool:

Here's a comparison pic with Vander, POTJ Luke, and the horrible pack-in Y-Wing pilot:

plasticfetish
02-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Oh wow! That photo sells it. I've never been too impressed by any of the pilot figures, but this one looks amazing compared to those others. (Makes the Y-wing pilot look like he's wearing one of those vintage leather football helmets or something.)

Reefer Shark
02-20-2004, 10:50 AM
(Makes the Y-wing pilot look like he's wearing one of those vintage leather football helmets or something.)
LOL It's funny you say that. The first thought I had when looking at the comparison was "wow, he's wearing a hockey helmet".

Vander really does put that y-wing pilot to shame.....

Kidhuman
02-20-2004, 12:14 PM
That is a greatpic. Iam looking foward tofinding this figure soon. Hopefully I can

B'Omarr Monkey
02-20-2004, 06:17 PM
This is a great figure. The detail is fantastic, including the straps + helmet, and the likeness is dead on. After what seemed like ages of finding nothing but empty pegs this was a welcome find.

TheDarthVader
02-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I have to agree with everyone especially Jaff. This is one of the best saga figures I have ever purchased. After many days of searching, I finally found him at Wal Mart! Yay for me. Now my review: 1. PAINT--the paint is perfect. I can not imagine a figure having better paint. All of the colors are where they should be. The flesh colored paint is awesome and right on. The neon orange paint for the Y-wing suit is great! It is eye catching and has been applied carefully. The blaster's paint is perfect too. And the paint on the helmet CAN NOT BE BEAT BY ANY FIGURE EVER MADE. The helmet, though small, has amazing detail that would blow any other accessory away. I can not say enough about the helmet. I would like to say this: perfection. 2. SCULPT--The sculpt could be much better. The only thing I find flawed is Vander's face but the likeness can be easily seen. It is not far off from the real person's likeness but it could have been a little better. Still, I am not at all disappointed. Everything else is great! 3- ARTICULATION--This figure has it where it needs it...enough said. 4--PLAYABILITY--FUN! FUN! FUN! 5. PACKAGING-- The picture on the card is great (simply awesome).

OVERALL RATING: A+ ONE OF THE BEST FIGURES THIS YEAR

Kidhuman
03-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Well I found him and he is fantastic. Lived up to Jaffs' review.

vulcantouch
03-22-2004, 11:22 PM
-yeah, that's what She said last night :D
as w/antilles & tie pilot, haven't opened my dutch yet. which means i can't be sure if i'd like him better with his helmet on. but i have decided that without it he looks too dorky for me to bother collecting this one :p never been nuts about the reb pilot look (no matter how well-executed its rendition here may be), but vander's helmet & gun are To Die For, so if anyone gets one of each they wanna trade me (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=23286). . . :)
vt

sith_killer_99
04-11-2004, 08:02 PM
What else can I say thia figure rocks! My favorite surprise was the knee articulation and the loose straps! The removable helmet is also a fantastic feature. This is the best Pilot figure to date!

A+ :Pirate: