PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Giant Reveals E3 Sidious/Palpatine

Sith Lord 0498
02-15-2004, 07:31 AM
I was looking through the previews of Gentle Giant's upcoming lines for 2004 over at Rebelscum, and imagine my surprise when I clicked on what I thought was a thumbnail for the ROTJ-era Emperor Palpatine. The image I saw was Chancellor Palpatine wearing the Emperor's robes--with a young face!! I can only conclude this is the Episode III version of Darth Sidious, and it is further proof for any doubters left that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person.

-Durge-
02-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Very, very, very intresting. Thanks for the heads up.

Darkness Shroud
02-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Wow! I like that. I really do think i would buy that when its available. Great picture!:)

sith_killer_99
02-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Weird, he looks younger there than he did in EPII. This looks like it was taken straight out of EPI.

It's a great piece. :)

Pendo
02-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Oh mega wow, looks like Sidious won't turn out to be someone else then :D!

:p

PENDO!

bobafrett
02-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Very cool! Funny that I did not see this when I was browsing the GG collection. Must have been added since I first viewed the pictures.

The 'Xir
02-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Great Info! But, as far as the piece itself, it looks weird! What's up with his Hulk-hands? They're huge! Sidious/palps has witch-like long scrawny little fingers! Everything else looks ok though I guess.

Sith Lord 0498
02-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Darkness Shroud, you really should consider buying one. According to Rebelscum, this is one of the new "Bust-Ups", which are miniature versions of the regular size busts and ONLY $5.00 EACH!!! I know I'll be ordering most, if not all, of them.

I thought the same thing when I saw it, sith killer 99. But even the latest images of Palpatine from E3 make him look younger. Wonder if they did tone down the makeup for this one. Can't imagine why though. Oh well, guess we'll chalk it up to another continuity problem!! :D

And lastly, the "Hulk-hands" issue. I think it's just the forced perspective of the photo. It looks like his left hand reaches outward toward the camera--thus appearing bigger. His other hand looks right though.

Sith Lord 0498
02-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Here's another pic that gives the bust a little better perspective. It even captures Palpatine's facial mannerisms perfectly.

sith_killer_99
02-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I just saw these "Bust Ups" at RS and they look great. It looks like they will be releasing 2 per month as follows:

Wave 1

3/24
Princess Leia
C-3PO

4/24
Luke skywalker
Han Solo

5/24
Chewbacca
Yoda

Interesting, that they would just release 2 a month. If these do end up at retail for $5.00 each I will definatly pick 'em up!

Oh, and if Gentle Giants wants any ideas for wave 2...

Sandtrooper
Stormtrooper
Snowtrooper
Clone Troopers
Boba Fett
Darth Vader

Sith Lord 0498
02-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I just saw these "Bust Ups" at RS and they look great. It looks like they will be releasing 2 per month as follows:

Wave 1

3/24
Princess Leia
C-3PO

4/24
Luke skywalker
Han Solo

5/24
Chewbacca
Yoda

Interesting, that they would just release 2 a month. If these do end up at retail for $5.00 each I will definatly pick 'em up!

Oh, and if Gentle Giants wants any ideas for wave 2...

Sandtrooper
Stormtrooper
Snowtrooper
Clone Troopers
Boba Fett
Darth Vader

Where did you find these release dates?? I checked the Gentle Giant Toy Fair coverage at RS, and it stated we wouldn't see these until September when the OTC from Hasbro and the Trilogy DVD hits stores. Here's the passage:

The packaging shown may change when this line hits stores in September, but the plan is keep a similar style to Kenner's vintage line of action figures, a common theme for the fall, when the DVDs are released. The lower left corner is designed to be a window to see the set inside, although it is possible that collectors will get duplicates. The idea is that fans will be able to trade the micro-busts with their fellow collectors in order to acquire unique pieces, and to build a community among collectors similar to the trading cards of the past.