PDA

View Full Version : Toys R Us ?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-09-2001, 03:58 PM
I have just noticed this, even though this situation has gone on for years now . . .

Everytime I go to Toys R Us and end up purchasing a product there, the cashier always asks for my phone number (which is fine and dandy). I've been buying things there for years, and they must have entered in my phone number hundreds of times. Curiously though, I have never been contacted by the store or received mailings or coupons, something I assume they would need our phone numbers for.

So does anyone know what they need our phone numbers for? I know KB which asks for your zip code, uses it to identify the location of their customer base. Maybe some of you have received mailings and some other offers while I have been deprived. :confused:

Rollo Tomassi
12-09-2001, 04:30 PM
I've always given them made up digits. My favorite is 326-3827:D

SWAFMAN
12-09-2001, 07:00 PM
LBC - best guess on the phone number question is that TRU looks at the first three digits of the phone numbers to determine where (generally) the customers coming into the store(s) live. This tells them what locations they are reaching successfully with their advertising, and helps them to spend their $ more efficiently. A more 'big brother'-ish concept would be that they are databasing all your purchases by your phone number, but I don't know what TRU would do with that data. We sure as hell can hope they're passing it along to Hasbro with the recommendation that MicroMachines and Action Fleet be revived! But don't hold your breath.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-09-2001, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
LBC - best guess on the phone number question is that TRU looks at the first three digits of the phone numbers to determine where (generally) the customers coming into the store(s) live. This tells them what locations they are reaching successfully with their advertising, and helps them to spend their $ more efficiently.

and...huge retail chains like TRU and Barnes and Noble do this when they are deciding whether or not to open a new store in close relations to other stores. They don't want to take business away from the stores already open, but also try to reach a customer base that has to travel farther by opening a store in a new location to cater to their needs (HAHA)

derek
12-09-2001, 07:54 PM
i'm with you rollo, fake telephone numbers all the way! i hate this ever evolving info grab. i almost got into an arguement at a tire store a while back because they wanted to "start a file" on me just to get a tire repaired.:)

JediTricks
12-09-2001, 10:56 PM
I often pay with a credit card or debit card, so I always give my real number. However, it's really irritating after a while because they NEVER get my whole phone number down on the first take, even though my phone number is 6 of the same number and one different! The stores I like are the ones where the cashier simply keys in "000-000-0000" instead of asking. ;)

Rollo Tomassi
12-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Typed with his eyes closed by JediTricks
The stores I like are the ones where the cashier simply keys in "000-000-0000" instead of asking.

I used to work at a Best Buy when they asked for ZIP codes and the cashiers would just type in their own code instead of asking and some district muckity muck was in the store that day and raised holy hell, so we all got in trouble.:D Ahhh..good times...:rolleyes:

I seriously don't understand asking for the full phone number. If it's marketing research, all they would need is the area code (Which really helps here in Iowa:rolleyes: "Oh. You're shopping in the 319 area code? Yes. EASTERN IOWA needs another Toys R Us...Way to narrow it down guys...) The rest of the phone number has no bearing on your location. Its all very suspicious...:(

GNT
12-10-2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
A more 'big brother'-ish concept would be that they are databasing all your purchases by your phone number, but I don't know what TRU would do with that data.

A more 'big brother'-ish concept would be to lock as many customers in the store until they run out of money and have to leave ;)

Its all very suspicious...

If people have been going into the same store for a few years, they'll probably want your whole number so that they could call you for a date :)

JediTricks
12-10-2001, 09:39 AM
The area code and first 3 digits of your phone number can limit down their research to a much smaller area than state or even county, so area code alone won't cut the mustard while your first 3 digits as well can whittle down your area to a 8 block area in some places.

It's still annoying as heck though.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-10-2001, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the information gang.

I always thought giving my number was for mailing purposes (I vaguely recall someone telling me that--either an employee or someone on the forums plus that was my guess anyway) but now I know why :)

hamsterboy
12-13-2001, 01:47 AM
I don't konw how it works,but I've been told it has something to do with taxes(doesn't everything?)

Obi-Don
12-16-2001, 06:23 AM
I either give a wrong # or tell them they don't need my # to sell a product.

Unless she is a babe:D Then my wife steps in and handles it.:frus:

master jedi
12-16-2001, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
I either give a wrong # or tell them they don't need my # to sell a product.

Unless she is a babe:D Then my wife steps in and handles it.:frus:

Next time don't take your wife with you.:D