PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Official Hasbro Coverage Up!!

Beast
02-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Not many pictures, and no big suprises. The OTC Princess Leia looks great. And the Falcon looks sweet. I'm a little bit stunned by the fact that they're re-releasing figures like Boba Fett: Carkoon and Wicket in the OTC collection. But oh well, I don't need to buy those ones, do I. I love the "modern" vintage figures though. And the back of the cards list the figures for ESB and ROTJ, but other then the obvious C-3PO, Darth Vader, and Lando Calrissian in ESB and R2-D2 in ROTJ, I can't make many of the others out. Hopefully someone will have better pics today. Or Steve can give us the lowdown. :)

http://gallery.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php/cat/1096/password/58dff795b4e93ff107f0fb1e6d9d871c

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Banthaholic
02-15-2004, 09:53 AM
I got the list for you JJB

ANH: Luke
Ben
Leia
Han

ESB: Darth
Lando
Yoda
C3-P0

ROTJ: R2
Chewbacca
Han (again)
Boba Fett

Beast
02-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Cool, thanks. Steve just gave it to me also. Some intresting choices there. But they will be good if they are done properly. So, lesse....

Empire Strikes Back:
Darth Vader - Super articulated, of course. So he can kneel and fight. And with a cloth cape, similar to the Dark Side 2-Pack.

Lando Calrissian - Super articulated, of course. So he can be choked by Chewbacca. Basically a better articulated POTJ Lando.

Yoda - Super articulated. 2-Legs. Cloth Robes. Give him his gimer stick and his snake, and he'll kick the butt out of any Yoda, past or present.

C-3PO - Super articulated. Removable Limbs. Jointed knees so that he can sit. And a removable lower leg for the scene where he's standing on 1 leg.

Return of the Jedi:
R2-D2 - Either a great Saber Launcing R2-D2. Or what I really hope, one with lots of doors that can open and tools that can pop out. From the scene on Endor where he gets shot.

Chewbacca - Super articulated. Finally a seperate bandolier. Comes with a decent version of his bowcaster. Should be good if done right.

Han - Super articulaed. Endor Gear, of course. With a nice soft goods camo duster and his trademark pistol. This one should rock.

Boba Fett - Super articulated. ROTJ paintscheme. Basically a better ROTJ version of the 300th Fett w/ more articulation.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Banthaholic
02-15-2004, 10:08 AM
'm really happy with the Princess Leia. After scoring the Yavin wave of figures yesterday, I had to stick in ANH. While watching, I made a comment to myself that it's be cool if they made a nice neutral ANH Leia, with a nice looking dress.
Well low and behold I wake up to see a spitting image of what I asked for!
Look's wonderful!

Banthaholic
02-15-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm sure this will make it up eventually, although I did the work and got the numbers of of the back of the Falcon
OTC Collection
1 Luke Daobah
2 Yoda Dagobah
3 Spirit of Obi Wan
4 R2-D2 Dagobah
5 Luke x-wing ANH
6 Luke –Jedi ROTJ
7 Han Solo ANH
8 Chewbacca Medhanic
9 Leia ANH
10 Darth Vader ROTJ
11 Scout Trooper ROTJ
12 R2-D2 ANH
13 C3-P0 ANH
14 Boba Fett ROTJ
15 Obi Wan ANH
16 Storm Trooper ANH
17 Wicket ROTJ
18 Leia Bespin
19 Cloud Car Pilot
20 Lobot
21 Tie Fighter Pilot ANH

Beast
02-15-2004, 10:36 AM
I can't believe they're re-releasing Wicket. What the heck is the deal with that? He better come with someone else. Or atleast some accessory, like the throne for C-3PO. Because Wicket all by his lonesome on the massive card. Seems like a waste of space. Either that or a really nice Leia: Endor. They could have atleast resculpted him, this looks like a straight re-issue. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
02-15-2004, 11:33 AM
A lot of the stuff looks pretty good - especially the figures. But can anyone tell me why Hasbro has decided to release the old style X-Wing?
I've been wondering about that for a little bit now. I really didn't think that it was that version, but these new pics confirm it for me. Although, I'm probably the last person to complain about it, but I just can't understand it. Why not just use the FX model like they've been using for every other X-Wing release?

End...

Beast
02-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Gah, just read over at Galactic Hunter that the super articulated modern/vintage figures are going to be $9.99 each. Gah. They definatly are worth it for the extrra articulation and the clamshell packaging. But I figured more like $7.99, if they were going to be premium figures. But 10 smackers a peice, yikes. :eek: :dead:

The Vintage Action Figure Assortment will come in several waves, each of which is only shipping once. If you miss it, you're out of luck, so toy runs and preorders may be in order for these action figures. If you recall the individual reissue Masters of the Universe figures from a couple of years back, it's a little like that since the reproduction of the original packaging is replicated right down to the Kenner logo, and then inserted in a large plastic clamshell. If you're having a hard time picturing this, the final product will basically be like a figure that ships directly from Hasbro in a Star Case-style plastic box and will also have some sort of insert with the modern Hasbro information on it.

These figures will start to hit this Summer and have an MSRP of $9.99, which, when you get a good look at them, seems fair. Keep in mind, you're paying for the packaging, which is nearly identical right down to the old style blisters. The back is new, though, and keep in mind everything we're showing is in prototype form and subject to change.

The A New Hope assortment will start with four figures, three of which were revealed last week. Finishing up the first series will be an ANH-styled Princess Leia Organa in her original white outfit, and the other three are of course Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, and Han Solo. The figures bear a very strong resemblance to their vintage counterparts in some ways, especially Han.

The second and third assortments will be from the other two films of the trilogy, and according to Hasbro representatives on hand, the figures have not been announced yet. The prototype cardbacks did list additional figures, though. From The Empire Strikes Back, the figures are Lando Calrissian, Darth Vader, C-3PO, and Yoda. From Return of the Jedi, it looks like we can expect Chewbacca, R2-D2, Boba Fett, and another Han Solo. The other Han is a bit of a surprise, and since Hasbro was mum and the packaging is in prototype stages, you'll need to take this with a grain of salt, although not a very big one.
http://www.galactichunter.com/toy_fair_2004/hasbro.asp

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthQuack
02-15-2004, 11:48 AM
JJB is one post away from 10,000........Sorry just thought that was cool when you hit it.

-Matt

Kidhuman
02-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Yikes and Criminy crickets. Those figures look good, but ten bucks a pop. Lordy. I dunno about all that. If the come with a few accessories or like Ultra size em, then it will be worth it. If the could produce a SA clone and retail for the same price, why not these?

rbaumhauer
02-15-2004, 12:44 PM
First - who from Hasbro put together the SW display? A lot of it looks like the person doing setup had no idea what they were doing.

Second - there are a few odd choices in the Original Trilogy collection, like they have a Tatooine Luke on display, but none are listed as part of the collection. The OTC Vader should have been the MODS version, maybe with a new head/removeable helmet, rather than the "Can't Keep My Cape On" Throne Room Vader. As others have said, Wicket is a very odd choice for the OTC if he's all you get. The R2 should have been a clean version of the Holo Leia figure. Basically, this just means that I'm probably not buying ANY of the rereleases in this series, since I have to save money for the "vintage" figures :)

Third - the "vintage" figures themselves look awesome, but I can't help but bring up the one GLARING omission from the list - Stormtrooper! AGGHH! We get two Hans (which, in a limited series, seems silly), but only one Luke (Tatooine, at that), an ESB Lando (could we pray for a Smuggler version, as I'm not really excited about an SA version of the blue outfit Lando?), and a couple selections that are going to be difficult to pull off and make worth $10 - Yoda and R2. And NO Stormtrooper! AGGHH!

plo koon 200
02-15-2004, 12:48 PM
I have only three words to say about this year in terms of toys. BEST YEAR EVER! Kudos to Hasbro. There is no way in hell I will complain this entire year unless of course distribution sucks. Ten dollars is deal for those new toys.

Soem of you may be complaining but this beats the hell out of the last two years.

plo koon 200
02-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey, when is the Hasbro Q and A? I can hardly wait for it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Maybe somebody can clear up some issues for me cos i'm still confused:

OK, lemme see if i have this right, there are going to be two new waves in the fall; they are:
1. OTC
2. Vintage
?????????????? That right?? Now, are they going to be repacks, new figures, a bit of both!?!? anyone?!? I hope hasbleh shows some more figures than this as that's kind of a letdown. :D

Kidhuman
02-15-2004, 01:35 PM
There are going to be twolines. The OTC collection, and a Super Articulated line of vintage figures that go with the saga line. I think :confused:

Tycho
02-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Of the new stuff shown, THE ONLY THING I HAD ON MY "WANT LIST" WAS THE CLOUD CAR PILOT.

I'll buy 8 (for CC extras walking around, and crew for 3 Cloud Cars I hope they'll eventually make). So maybe I should buy 5, in case there will be pack-ins so Hasbro makes their money's worth out of this guy.

The vintage style packaging looks great and everything, but I'm not a carded collector and I already have these characters.

I understand that new collectors and that old fans who finally come back to SW with the DVD releases will want to have these characters if they never collected before. There's just not a whole lot for me at all this year. Hopefully by Fall-Christmas, between Comic Con and Pre-Toy Fair, I'll see some more new stuff I wanted.

This is not because they are Classic figures and not Prequel ones!

I have a fairly extensive list of Classic figures I want - including the Smuggler Lando that was mentioned before but still never made - however in an "almost anniverary year" for SW (with the DVD celebration) I'm sure they'll release a more recognizeable Lando (blue outfit, POTJ refit with better articulation - which is cool for those who need Lando in this get-up, because the first POTJ one was amazing as it was. It just always should have been SA in the first place!)

But my purchasing this year will be severely and strangely limited:

1 Luke Hoth
2 Hoth Rebels
1 Wampa
1 Rieekan
2 Luke Jedi
1 Bar2-D2
4 R1-G4s
9 J'Quilles
2 Rappertunes
9 Eloms
1 Gold Leader
2 Jan Dodonna
1 Colton Antilles
1 Jabba
1 Bubo the Frog Dog
1 Dengar
1 Ozzel
1 Ultra Darth Vader
1 Madine
1 Ultra Ewok
1 Dagobah Luke
1 Dagobah Yoda
1 Dagobah R2D2
1 Dagobah Spirit Ben
8 Cloud Car Pilots

That's still 55 figures, but usually there are at least 50 individually DIFFERENT figures I have interest in buying each year, meaning that with duplicates and army builders, I add at least over 150 figures to my collection every year.

This year, that's a 63% decline in the amount of figures I'm buying this year compared to all others!

I knew this would eventually happen, as I rarely buy resculpts, but I didn't expect it to happen until 2007 or so, after the last movie.

*Note: I didn't count Clone Wars animated figures, of which I'm buying 2 Dooku, 2 Yoda, 3 Clones, and 2 Durge. (of which I might return all of them, because I don't really need these for anything, do I?)

dr_evazan22
02-15-2004, 02:39 PM
I posted in another thread that they probably released this version of the X-Wing for kids, making it less expensive for parents to buy them. Hopefully it will be a $20 price point instead of a $30 to $40 pp.

I'm still curious about the TIE and which version was used on it: KB style or "classic"?

The Falcon looks a lot better here then in another pic I had seen. Was the engine area a decal? Or [crosses fingers] are there LED's that can be pressed to light the engine up? It does look like there has been some minor retooling of the interior.

I did see one pic of Obi Wan with some soft goods that did look terrible. A sculpted top half and soft goods on bottom. The other soft goods figs actually looked decent (I've never liked soft goods on this scale). We'll see when they come out.

Great job SS! Keep the pics coming.

vadersvette
02-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Not many pictures, and no big suprises. The OTC Princess Leia looks great. And the Falcon looks sweet. I'm a little bit stunned by the fact that they're re-releasing figures like Boba Fett: Carkoon and Wicket in the OTC collection.

Does anyone know what older R2-D2 and C-3PO the new ones are re-releases of? :confused: :confused: :confused:

CrossWizard
02-15-2004, 04:27 PM
ANH: Luke
Ben
Leia
Han

ESB: Darth
Lando
Yoda
C3-P0

ROTJ: R2
Chewbacca
Han (again)
***Boba Fett***

*dances ferociously*

About darn time we get a good Boba Fett with enough articulation so he's not either stuck firing a gun or with some lame action feature.

By the way the "vintage" cards look so ravishing and sexy that I might end up buying doubles just to keep carded for nostalgia's sake.

plo koon 200
02-15-2004, 04:33 PM
I can't believe I am actually excited over a Tatooine Luke.
I must be going insane.

CrossWizard
02-15-2004, 04:39 PM
I wonder if the re-released Falcon has the hyperdrive stalling sound from when they are trying to escape Bespin and the hyperdrive fails.

As for the RotJ "vintage" Han, I'm bummed that they didn't choose to release a different figure like a Stormtrooper, but as long as it's a fine looking Endor or Carbonite Han I guess I'll take it.

Silent Chazz
02-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Im excited over the news that we're getting a SA ROTJ Han. Hopefully this means a GOOD Endor Han with softgoods Trenchcoat. Too bad we have to wait now on SA Luke and Leia in Softgoods Endor Tunics with Removable Helmets. (Must have the ultimate Death Star II Luke.)

vadersvette
02-15-2004, 04:52 PM
I wonder if the re-released Falcon has the hyperdrive stalling sound from when they are trying to escape Bespin and the hyperdrive fails.
That would be pretty awesome. The only problem I have with the MF and the vintage figures is the price. :( :( Also, if I understood correctly, the vintage ones are only available for a very limited time, which sucks for me because distribution has been very poor in my area for the past three or four years. BTW, I think I asked before, anyway, what are the new OTC C-3PO and R2-D2 re-releases of??? :confused: :confused:

JediTricks
02-15-2004, 05:00 PM
They're re-releases of the Millennium Minted Coin C-3PO and POTJ R2-D2, the one named "Naboo Escape" or something.

Silent Chazz
02-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Limited time only? Ugh. We might be getting the Ultimate Endor Han and he'll be in short supply.....thats Hasblo for ya.

jjreason
02-15-2004, 05:47 PM
From looking at the back of the Falcon box, there appear to be only 3 new figures (Dagobah Luke, TPCC Pilot, and Lobot) pictured. The rest look very much like figures we already have.

I'm going to have to wait and see on those SA vintage figs - I'm not down with the animated Clone Wars jobbies and I might pass on those. The Falcon box and ship look nice, so that may be a splurge item.

rbaumhauer
02-15-2004, 08:47 PM
There are actually 7 new figures coming - the Dagobah and Bespin waves (though many of those are, technically, resculpts). There seem to be 13-14 OTC figures, depending on whether you count the TIE Pilot - he's not listed on the Falcon, but he is listed on either the X-wing or TIE Fighter box.

rbaumhauer
02-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Oh yeah, one other thing - the Falcon's engines do light up. Not sure about the stalling sound, though there is a "flyby" sound.

B'Omarr Monkey
02-15-2004, 08:56 PM
With the non-existent distribution in my area and the vintage figs being limited, I guess I'll be paying a lot more than $9.99 for them online. >grmmmble<

Maybe I'm feeling spoiled, though why I don't know since I haven't found any of the yet, but with all they great figures we've been getting from Rieeken, R1, Rappatoonie, and heck, even Wol Cabba****e, I have to say that I'm a little let down by the Toy Fair revelations. I was at least expecting one big crowd pleasing surprise like the Tonnika Sisters or something. Not just a bunch of repackaged figures, which if they don't get snapped up by kids who get jazzed by the DVD release, are going to clog the pegs for ages since none of us will be buying them. Whatever wave comes after them is going to be real hard to find anywhere I'm guessing.

I was hoping to see the cloud car on account of the cloud car pilot release, or news about the sandcrawler, as well.

rust
02-15-2004, 09:30 PM
OTC looks nice *Confetti falls down as I relize Target is opening this summer*, and most likely, I'll be getting a lot of the figd (No ROTJ Luke for me). I may get 1 or two Vintage Figs for customs and SA-ness. But $10? That's a tad too much (Maybe $5 overboard) I wasn't even alive for Vintage (My dad was only 13!), so I dont care much abot the Vintage Rerelease.
-rust

Silent Chazz
02-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Well, I have the Han and Leia as I found em in the 2003 repacks, but, I could use a new Farmboy Luke especially with more Articulation than the Farmboy Luke with Blastshield Helmet. I can always use another Chewie. Also, I don't own a Flightsuit Luke so I'll probably get one now to go along with the OTC X-wing (I'd get the Saga Red Leader xwing but this MIGHT be a little cheaper and at least doesnt have a hole where the Astromech goes).

amidalak
02-15-2004, 11:04 PM
with all the repacks, are we going to see the SA figures from the vintage package line on regular OTC cards, too, maybe sometime later down the line? it just seems a shame that the best figs they have ever done will see a limited run, just because of the special cards (which as an opener, i don't really care that much about.) SirSteve, think you could ask?

B'Omarr Monkey
02-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Don't get too excited about that new Target, Rust. I thought the exact same thing when they opened a new Wal-Mart by me. They filled their pegs with the first Cantina set wave (which sat there until they moved them to clearance) and then pretty much nothing ever since. Zam Wessel occassionally shows up though.

I hope it works differently for you.

jjreason
02-16-2004, 12:50 AM
The TIE Pilot should count, and he's all new. SO by my count that's 21 "OTC" figures, broken down like this:

ANH

TIE Pilot - NEW!
Leia - Old POTF2 New Likeness?
Luke XWing - Old POTJ?
R2D2 - Old????
Obi Wan - Old POTJ?
Stormtrooper - Old Commtech?
Han - Old Commtech?
C3PO - Old MMC?

ESB

Spirit Obi Wan - NEW!
Yoda - NEW!
Chewbacca - Old POTJ?
Luke Dagobah - NEW!
Lobot - NEW!
Bespin Leia - NEW!
TPCC Pilot - NEW!
Dagobah R2D2 - NEW!

ROJ

Vader - Old Saga?
Luke Jedi - Old Saga?
Boba Fett - Old Saga?
Wicket - Old POTF2?
Scout Trooper - Old POTJ?

I guess I'll read on to see if anyone is seeing this any differently. That's not too many new figures.

Oh, and after having actually looked at the "Vintage" style figures, they're a must. I posted above about possibly not getting them, but only the package even resembles vintage. The new figures look great, and will set the bar for things to come.

pegger
02-16-2004, 08:35 AM
That was my impression too jj, when I say the box.....

I think that the R2 is the POTJ one...but I could be mistaken...

since use canucks will most likely have to pre-order these to get them, thanks for the list...

this way, I won't get stuck with figures I already have!

rust
02-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Don't get too excited about that new Target, Rust. I thought the exact same thing when they opened a new Wal-Mart by me. They filled their pegs with the first Cantina set wave (which sat there until they moved them to clearance) and then pretty much nothing ever since. Zam Wessel occassionally shows up though.

I hope it works differently for you.
Well, I figured they'd have to buy the most recent wave right when they open so it would be OTC Wave 1 (I'm assuming). But I think I have a chance with Target because everyone'ss saying Target's better.