PDA

View Full Version : Why the POTF2 X-Wing? At least the X-wing isn't POTF.

Turbowars
02-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Why Hasbro, why would you rehash this hunk of crap after all these years while you have a newish one that is 100% better? I guess you think that all us collectors will just buy it and keep it boxed. As far as we know there might be scrap platic in there.

dr_evazan22
02-15-2004, 01:01 PM
My guess is that they made the older version for a lower price point, to make it easier for parents to buy them for the kids. After all, in the newer and larger version we already have a regular Red 5; a Dagobah Swamp; and now Red 1, for the more serious collector.

A question i have that I didn't see answered in any pics is about the TIE: Is it the newer updated TIE from KB, or the older version with the battery compartment?

Sinister Lord
02-15-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm also unclear as to why Hasbro is reissuing the smaller inferior X-wing. The rationale for this decision is probably something stupid like the size of the box or something. But there are some collectors who will probably buy it just for the retro-designed box, and perhaps that is exactly who Hasbro is catering to with this offering.

Val Da Car
02-15-2004, 02:52 PM
This line appears to be nothing more that an attempt at Cross pollenating Old SW Fans/Collectors (25-49) and new fans (9-24) and their parents into buying into the line for the next year.

With the DVD release in September of this year, and Episode 3 due in May 2005 this should keep interest in the line and make the holiday season more lucrative (maybe even making the SW line the "Hot Toy" this season).

JediTricks
02-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Nostalgia marketing or no, this mold is now 26 years old, there are parents out there who might buy this for their children, where those parents aren't as old as this toy!!! I was shocked to see this image when I was working on the SSG coverage this morning.

plasticfetish
02-16-2004, 03:21 AM
I was going to buy my son an X-wing for X-mas... they were going for $20+ (+ shipping) on eBay, so I passed and got him an A-wing at Target (which he was plenty happy with.) Point being, he'll see this in the store, WANT it, and then I'll buy it for him. So, that's at least one sold.

I'm also thinking that maybe what I'm seeing is a window box there? Does it look like that to anyone else? If that's the case, then I may end up buying two of these... one for myself to keep boxed. I've no problem with this being the vintage version. Boxed up, it'll look super next to a nice loose vintage one.

Kidhuman
02-16-2004, 06:30 AM
I will most likely pick one up as well. Which ever one looks better atthe point of them coming oput is the one I will be getting. The box of the OTC is whats catching my eye on the vehicles.

stad
02-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Why Hasbro, why would you rehash this hunk of crap after all these years while you have a newish one that is 100% better? I guess you think that all us collectors will just buy it and keep it boxed. As far as we know there might be scrap platic in there.

Regardless of any profit motive, I think the scale of these two items warrants the old X-Wing. If they released the new X-Wing with the TIE fighter, the TIE would look seriously dumb, as well as the Falcon also being badly out of scale. While the new X-Wing is awesome in the more accurate scale, they also need to interact with all of the other vehicles.

bobafrett
02-16-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm probably going to pass on this one. I was orginizing my collection (somewhat) last night, and found I have more ships than I thought. The only X-wing I have, is the saga, or the one that looks like it is sinking into Yodas cardboard swamp, and was sold at TRU. I like that X-Wing over this one.

Sinister Lord
02-17-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm definitely going to pass on both the X-Wing and TIE fighter. I already own both of these from the POTF2 line, and I paid $10 for each. I also own the PowerFX X-Wing (paid $10 for that one too) which is a kick-butt version of that ship.

I don't own any version of the Falcon, so I may pick that one up, depending on the price.

DarthBrandon
02-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Nostalgia marketing or not, this mold is now 26 years old, there are parents out there who might buy this for their children, where those parents aren't as old as this toy!!! I was shocked to see this image when I was working on the SSG coverage this morning.

I'm shocked as well too, but the thing that gets me the most is the Falcon they are re-issuing. Let's put a missile here and there, give it a light or two and we've sucked them in again. Give me a break; they know that we want something a little bigger and more detailed than this piece of 26 plus year old junk. They know we'll buy it so why do this, it's not even worth it IMO. Hasbro we want a Falcon that is a significantly larger ship (i.e. a cockpit that fits four figures standing or sitting, now imagine the rest of it to scale with the cockpit done in great detail with laser cannons on top as well as the bottom, ramps that figures can actually go up without interference, you get the idea yet.) I AM WILLING TO PAY $300.00 FOR ONE OF THESE BABIES. STOP GIVING US OLD MOLDS AND COME UP WITH SOME NEW ONES PLEASE (FALCON IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT)

The HOF assortment and most of the new vintage carded style figures are shocking as well, lets put some old figures (or retool one or two) in a new style package and sell them to these suckers, they will buy it because they are collectors. WELL NOT THIS KID HASBRO, YOU CANíT EVEN GET THE FIGURES I WANT HERE SO I WONíT BE BUYING INTO ALL THIS CRAP IMO. Good luck with the hunt for these guys, but for me it's one or two items and Iím out. :D

Turbowars
02-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Hasbro update of their site.

Question: On the vehicles - which are updated, which are not?

Answer: The Millennium Falcon has seen significant modifications, with an enlarged cockpit area, firing front missile, and added thrusters in the back that, with the push of a button, allows the vehicle to make the jump to ďhyperspace"

The X-wing and TIE Fighter have been modified slightly to meet a lower retail price point. Similar to the basic figures, they are being reissued for those kids and fans new to the franchise.

JediTricks
02-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Ugh, what could they have done to make these even cheaper? No electronics, no stickers, no paint, what?

Turbowars
02-27-2004, 11:09 PM
LOL, that's what I was wondering.:stupid: :confused: