PDA

View Full Version : SuperSize Me!!

Kidhuman
02-15-2004, 03:22 PM
So, this filmaker decided to do a film on what would happen to you if you ate McDonalds for 30 days 3 times a day. I thought it was an interesting article. He gained 25 pounds over the course of the trial. He said his body was basically giving out on him, and his girlfriend was begging him to give it up. I thought it was a pretty interesting read.

Article Here (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4078903/)

Exhaust Port
02-15-2004, 11:24 PM
I've run across a few articles about this guys movie project. Man, I don't know how he did it. Even if it doesn't kill you, I can't eat the same thing for more than a few days in a row.

I do like how McD's try to spin it so it's not really their fault that the food starts to kill him. :rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-16-2004, 12:17 AM
I was amazed to hear how a perfectly normal man's health was shot to hell because of only a one month steady diet of fast food. Not only did his weight balloon, but seemingly non nutrition related problems like his libido were affected. A wake-up call for those of us who like to eat out a lot.

Kidhuman
02-16-2004, 01:14 AM
I was amazed to hear how a perfectly normal man's health was shot to hell because of only a one month steady diet of fast food. Not only did his weight balloon, but seemingly non nutrition related problems like his libido were affected. A wake-up call for those of us who like to eat out a lot.

I agree. It is definitely a wake up call for those people. I myself amlazy around dinner time and order a couple times a week, but that is about to be cut back. I couldnt imagine gaining 25 lbs in a month. NO wonder his libido changed. His insides must of felt like a nuclear bomb went off.

Darth Kirk
02-16-2004, 02:56 AM
This article simply proves the fact that if one sandwich, minus the 'light' menu choice(s), is approximately 800 calories, without the fries and drink, can you imagine what the caloric intake will be of the average American who will eat 3 times a day, and splurges on a lot of fast food.. What also scares me are all the ancillary health issues that popped up after eating the fast food repeatedly.. Of course the weight gain is the culprit, but the actual food itself, is also to blame for his ailments.. Thanks for the article kidhuman. :)

-Durge-
02-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Very intresting.

bobafrett
02-16-2004, 01:36 PM
It's a wake up call for me, I eat out, and fast food in particular. Being as I work at a pizza delivery establishment, I eat a slice of pizza 4 times a week. I've gained 35 to 40 pounds in the last year and a half alone. My son has been trying to keep me on course with a diet of less fast food, or at least more healthier choices like a broiled chicken sandwich as opposed to somthing fried in fat, or with a lot of breading. Oh, and I think my Libido is shot. And here I thought it was just because I was getting old.

InsaneJediGirl
02-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Interesting,I luckly dont visit any fast food places too often.However,when I do,its kind of scary that I take in enough calories for at least two meals during one normal day,especially since one burger is near 800 calories alone.:crazed:

Exhaust Port
06-13-2004, 05:01 PM
I just saw this movie last night and all I can say is NEVER EAT FAST FOOD AGAIN! Now I'm not the most frequent eater of fast food to begin with but I definately think twice about indulging ever again.

Granted what this guy did was extreme but it showed in a short time what can affect someone long term. One point that was briefly touched on was the social exceptance of eating this crap. Today smokers get abused from all angles for their habit but having someone weighing 400 lbs and stuffing sticks of lard in their mouth won't draw a second look. I hadn't really thought about it but that's true. The narrator made the final point on this topic that at some point habitual eating will become another social evil.

There was the expected comments from fat people saying that they didn't appriciate the "barrage" of images of thin people because it established an "unrealistic" body image. I find that an odd statement from people admitting that they are at an unhealthy weight and must lose those extra pounds. But some how by advertising people minus said pounds is mean?

It would be no different than someone who had issues with their height being angry that the social norm was of taller people, as if it would be a reminder of their shortcomings (no pun intended). The difference being that height is something that can't be altered where as weight is a product of ones environment.

-------

I would recommend the movie but don't do so on full stomach. :dis:

Darth Jax
06-13-2004, 05:51 PM
try Super Size Me. and EP you'd even posted there.

Exhaust Port
06-13-2004, 06:12 PM
I thought I remembered a previous thread about this but my search came up empty. I guess SuperSize is one word. :) Please feel free to merge this appropriately. Thx.

Kidhuman
06-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Glad to see someone actually saw this movie.I have been wanting to see it ever since I posted that thread.

Rocketboy
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm still kicking myself for not seeing it when I was in Chicago a few weeks ago.
Naturally, it's not playing around my area.

I've actually given up most fast food myself. Since March 20, with the exception of Subway, I've only had fast food 4 times - once on the way to Chicago, on the way to and from a concert (gotta have that after concert Taco Bell!), and one other time.
I came to a point I realized that I was eating the crap 5 or more times a week and I had enough. It's not that good (especially McDonlads), it gets expensive, and it's pretty damn unhealthy.
I don't feel any better or feel like I've lost any weight or anything, but it does feel good not to be wasting my money on that stuff.

Dr Zoltar
06-14-2004, 02:27 PM
I agree that most fast food places are pretty scarey. My wife and I gave up going to most of them about 2-3 years ago when we decided to try and lose weight. The closest I come now to fast food is Subway (even some Subway stores have questionable employees) or pre-made sandwiches at the grocery store. I haven't stepped foot inside a McDonalds since 2002.

By the way, I hate the new McDonalds ads. The whole "I'm lovin' it" just reeks of the same thing KFC tried to do with their "Kitchen Fresh Chicken". What's next? A romantic candle lit dinner at Burger King?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2004, 04:51 PM
I agree that most fast food places are pretty scarey. My wife and I gave up going to most of them about 2-3 years ago when we decided to try and lose weight. The closest I come now to fast food is Subway (even some Subway stores have questionable employees) or pre-made sandwiches at the grocery store. I haven't stepped foot inside a McDonalds since 2002.

By the way, I hate the new McDonalds ads. The whole "I'm lovin' it" just reeks of the same thing KFC tried to do with their "Kitchen Fresh Chicken". What's next? A romantic candle lit dinner at Burger King?
Hey, but you gotta love those new KFC commercials where they sing things like "Every day is Ladies' Day, here in Chicken Capital USA!" and "The only carb I care about is under my hood; I'm on the Dale Jr. diet, I eat what tastes good!" That is just dumb as hell, to me.

I don't think this movie is playing near me but I want to see it when it comes out on DVD.