PDA

View Full Version : Did Palpatine arrange for Luke's conception?

Turambar
02-16-2004, 12:01 AM
After viewing AOTC multiple times I've often wondered how the romance between Anakin & Padme evolved. I mean think about this situation:

A kid who was 7 years old when you, a teenager at the time, last saw him for a few days a decade ago and have since completely forgotten about shows up one day. Miraculously this person is now the same age as you! However, the person admits to you something very disturbing (to anyone with sense) they have had a strange lusty obsession with you since prepuberty after having limited contact with you for a few days a decade ago. If this doesn't turn you off immediately, the rest of the time spent with the person, they whine about how unfair their life is, then use tricks to get in your pants that only they can do because midichlorians endowed the person with special powers.
Then ZAP suddenly you are truly, madly, deeply in love with the person who shows more bouts of sudden recklessness, almost dying, before you marry and start a family with this individual.
It does sound far-fetched. But, considering this person is very good looking, and has super powers, and being from an aristocratic family, mayber your parents have kept you repressed sexually. Eventually spending all this time with an attractive superhero works, and you are in love.
This romance never would have happened based on limitied contact and Anakin's lack of charm had not Palpatine encouraged Ani to be sent to guard Padme. Given Anakin's erratic nature and that he is only on the good side by default, Palpy is sure who his next apprentice is going to be.
Is it possible, though, that he is already looking into the distant future? As we learn in ROTJ, the emperor knew if Ani had any offspring, they would be a threat to their father. So perhaps, in AOTC, that is exactly what Palpy is planning. He is breeding this half-man half-midichlorian half-nutcase with a sensible repressed intelligent gal. He understands that the offspring from them would be the ideal balance of talent and sanity. The perfect future replacement for dad when the time comes. . .

Kidhuman
02-16-2004, 12:39 AM
It is possible that he did that I only see one flaw in your calculations..............

He is breeding this half-man half-midichlorian half-nutcase

The math doesnt add up. Even if there were twins. :D

Darth Kirk
02-16-2004, 01:20 AM
After viewing AOTC multiple times I've often wondered how the romance between Anakin & Padme evolved. I mean think about this situation:

A kid who was 7 years old when you, a teenager at the time, last saw him for a few days a decade ago and have since completely forgotten about shows up one day. Miraculously this person is now the same age as you! However, the person admits to you something very disturbing (to anyone with sense) they have had a strange lusty obsession with you since prepuberty after having limited contact with you for a few days a decade ago. If this doesn't turn you off immediately, the rest of the time spent with the person, they whine about how unfair their life is, then use tricks to get in your pants that only they can do because midichlorians endowed the person with special powers.
Then ZAP suddenly you are truly, madly, deeply in love with the person who shows more bouts of sudden recklessness, almost dying, before you marry and start a family with this individual.
It does sound far-fetched. But, considering this person is very good looking, and has super powers, and being from an aristocratic family, mayber your parents have kept you repressed sexually. Eventually spending all this time with an attractive superhero works, and you are in love.
This romance never would have happened based on limitied contact and Anakin's lack of charm had not Palpatine encouraged Ani to be sent to guard Padme. Given Anakin's erratic nature and that he is only on the good side by default, Palpy is sure who his next apprentice is going to be.
Is it possible, though, that he is already looking into the distant future? As we learn in ROTJ, the emperor knew if Ani had any offspring, they would be a threat to their father. So perhaps, in AOTC, that is exactly what Palpy is planning. He is breeding this half-man half-midichlorian half-nutcase with a sensible repressed intelligent gal. He understands that the offspring from them would be the ideal balance of talent and sanity. The perfect future replacement for dad when the time comes. . .

I wouldn't say that Ani is a nutcase, he's hardened by his past and defiant/resentful of the Jedi order.. The love that grows between Ani and Padme seemed to progress in a fashion that seemed possible, especially after having had to rely and trust each other on their many misadventures.. Padme sees in Ani, a sweet and troubled soul that is yearning for happiness.. She seems to be attracted to that aspect of Ani.

Kidhuman
02-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Probably at the same time, Padme had never taken the time ot be alone with someone. Queen at 14, then right into the senate. She finally knew what it was felt like to be loved as a person and not as a political figure. She was given the chance to basically be a kid again. No bodygurads around(normal ones that is) telling her what to do. It was a one on one thing and that helped alot. Maybe Palpy figured on that, maybe Anakin played on that. It doesn't hurt (soryy stillakid) to lebvitae food into someones mouth either. If he is capeable of that, imagine what he could do to you. :crazed: :beard:

jjreason
02-17-2004, 02:08 AM
There may be something there:

Padme never had time for romance until she was forced away from work - by Palpatine.

She was sent home to Naboo where she could relax - by Palpatine.

Anakin was sent with her to keep her safe (but likely as much to keep her company - I don't really think anyone would have considered her safety in jeopardy on Naboo, hence the Jedi can afford to send a Padawan and still maintain their mandate to keep her safe) - by the Jedi Council, but likely at the suggestion of Palpatine.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Palpatine pre-arranged the conception of Luke. I will say he pushed Ani and Padme together, knowing full well they'd fall in love.

Now I'm totally spoiler-free, but any fool can see that it will be this love that Palpatine ultimately uses to bring Ani to the dark side. I think that was his ultimate plan.

Anakin Palpatine
02-17-2004, 05:07 AM
This is why Jedi are suppose to be trained as Jedi at birth. If Anakin had been he would not have any lust for wanting to get in Amidala's pants. He's thinking about her from his past before he was a jedi. I don't get how all those hot jedi aliens are just walking around and how no one has ever tried to get any? I guess when you can use the Jedi mindtrick on a galaxy of blondes, you don't need to run after jedi chicks. Wait, what are we talking about again? Oh yeah, I think he just used the Jedi mind trick on her. Maybe she's not as smart as everyone thought.

Turambar
02-17-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Palpatine pre-arranged the conception of Luke. I will say he pushed Ani and Padme together, knowing full well they'd fall in love.

Now I'm totally spoiler-free, but any fool can see that it will be this love that Palpatine ultimately uses to bring Ani to the dark side. I think that was his ultimate plan.

I see what you're getting at, but from what I can see, Palpy already has Anakin eating out of his hand by AOTC. (I believe there was a thread about whether or not Ani was ever on the good side that dealt with this.)
We see at the end of TPM that Palps has already found his next apprentice and he's gonna start doing everything he can to get this force allstar on his team. By the time AOTC rolls around we can assume that Palps has developed quite a relationship with Ani. The scenes with them together actually show a stronger relationship between them then we see between Obi-Wan & Ani. Throw in the intangibles: he was taken from his mother at a tender age when youngsters develop a strong bond with their parent, he has already shown psychopathic tendencies by wiping out men, women, and children (tuskens), and various other psychological problems (the strange desire for padme, the nightmares, the refusal to go to his master's aid until padme forced him). . . and so on. It seem to me Ani is already waist deep in sithdom.
Although Palpatine does know that Padme's life is in danger so pushing them together and offing the girl would do the trick if played out just right. Still, I don't think it would take something that dramatic to turn him. Palpatine is no fool, either, he sees how off balance the kid is. Palps also always makes a big deal in Rotj about foreseeing this and foreseeing that. So, who knows, maybe he was thinking about the future.