PDA

View Full Version : McFarlane: Movie Maniacs 7 - Sucks!!

Beast
02-16-2004, 01:07 PM
McFarlane announced their MM7 Line-up today. And it sucks arse. Only two figures are really even intresting. And neither of which are truely Movie Maniacs. McFarlane's lost their mojo clearly, with NECA gobbling up all the hot movie lines. They should have just released a Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 line. Pitiful. Here's the Line-Up. :rolleyes:

ROBOCOP
COLONIAL MARINE HICKS
LEATHERFACE
OLD MONTY
SHERIFF HOYT
ERIN
12" LEATHERFACE

4 freakin' figures from the TCM 2003 movie? What the hell? It wasn't even that good. And their doing the entire line-up as basically a TCM 2003 line. With Robocop and Hicks thrown in just to make it a non TCM 2003 Series. Pitiful. McFarlane once so grand in the realm of horror, officially sucks. I'll probably get RoboCop and Hicks. But blah on the rest. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Robocop! I've been waiting forever to have you! Oh my...I cannot wait to see how he turns out, please don't suck.

El Chuxter
02-16-2004, 02:27 PM
If they're doing Robocop anyway, where's the obvious boxed figures that could go with him? An ED-909 would be gnarly, but I'd snatch up a huge Cain figure, too.

Someone needs to knock McFarlane out of his tower. . . with a baseball.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Oh, how i've always wanted my own miniature figure of Jessica Biel to carry around, to pet, to sleep with and to hold. Thank you Mcfarlane, for making me have my own...preciousssssssssss. :crazed:

Reefer Shark
02-16-2004, 04:40 PM
I'll look forward to the Hicks figure. About time we started getting some marines!! He'll go good with the Aliens figures. Robocop could be cool too, but I'm not interested enough to actually get one.

The rest sound lame-o to me also, McFarlane is taking a nosedive with this wave. We'll probably see those TCM '03 figure collect dust on the shelves for years :rolleyes:

Movie Maniacs is done..... They've already done this line to death IMO. The few good horror licenses left are unobtainable it appears......

Beast
02-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Movie Maniacs is done..... They've already done this line to death IMO. The few good horror licenses left are unobtainable it appears......
I agree with Movie Maniacs being done. Because McFarlane seems to be trying to kill it. There are so many movies and characters that still could be tapped for figures. You would think with NECA kicking their arse so much, that MM7 would have been planned to blow people away. It's sad that it sucked so bad that even loyal Toddy fanboys are moaning about it over on Spawn.Com. McFarlane Toys is dead. NECA is snapping up all the hot lines, and putting further nails in the coffin. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-16-2004, 05:00 PM
McFarlane Toys is dead.

Movie Maniacs might be dead, but his sports figures, I believe, will remain very much alive.

Reefer Shark
02-16-2004, 05:15 PM
It kinda sucks...... I have some really fond memories of scoring the 1st 4 or 5 waves too. I remember being sooooo excited to get these figures, hunting all over town for them..... And I remember just being totally stoked when I found the 1st few 18"ers. That Freddy is still one of my favorite toys till this day.

Then we get Aliens/Predator and I'm thinking mabye, just maybe we'll get 18" Aliens/Predators (that would rule!!!). Well I guess there could still be a chance of that happening (I hope!).

Now we get this, a total letdown in the MM line....

You're right JBF.. The sports picks will be around for a long time. And I actually really like those NFL figs! Some of the newer Spawn (statues) are really nice looking as well. I'm not a McFarlane hater, just realizing that he has killed the MM line. :neutral:

Beast
02-16-2004, 05:26 PM
No chance on the 18" Alien and Predator. Toddy did announce 12" versions of both of those. I wonder why he's going 12" now with everything, when McF used to do 18" figures. I wonder if someone else may have snagged the rights for 18" Alien and Predator figures. Hmmm. NECA maybe? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
02-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Hmmm... well the fact that McF's definitely not doing them is a good sigh that NECA is (I hope!).

McFarlane, NECA....... I don't care who does the 18" Aliens/Predator... As long as someone does 'em!

B'Omarr Monkey
02-16-2004, 08:54 PM
I wonder if he's just having a hard time getting the rights to various characters. I remember seeing a picture in Tomart's a few years back of one of his sculptors working on a Gary Oldman Dracula, and there was also supposed to be a Regan from The Exorcist action figure in one of the waves.

I personally would like to see some Nightbreed figures now that the Hellraiser figures have been appearing.

arctangent
02-17-2004, 04:40 AM
i too am only interested in robocop and corporal hicks. the texas chainsaw massacre is imo one of the most overrated horror films of all time (when i watched it i was actually really bored) so four figures from a crappy hollywood remake hold no interest for me.

many people are saying that the movie maniacs line is running out of steam but i have to say, with the exception of the alien/predator lineup, i have only ever bought one or two figures from each line. there are always lots of figures in each lineup that don't interest me, so movie maniacs 7 is no different for me.

i just hope they do a good job on robocop and corporal hicks.

B'Omarr Monkey
02-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Likewise, I've never bought an entire wave of these figures, but that doesn't mean I'm not hopeful that there will be something in each wave that I want. The name "Movie Maniacs" is becomming increasingly irrelevant, though. Sarah Conner was a bit crazed, but does she fit? Hicks? Robo-cop?

I wonder if Todd M.'s heart is really in this anymore. The Helraiser figures look really good, but I'm not sure how MacFarlane let those go. He already has a toy partnership with Clive Barker. I recognize that New Line Cinema owns the Hellraiser franchise, but as creator/exceutive producer, Clive could certainly have helped secure the toy license.

I'm not distraught though. Other toy companies have picked up the slack and are certainly putting out good product. I was happy to see that someone is going to be making the Zuni Fetish from "Trilogy of Terror" and there's rumors of a life-size "It's Alive" baby. I just wish taht Sideshow would go back to making their 8" line. Their 12" line is fantastic, but at $40.00 a pop, a bit harsh on the wallet.

arctangent
02-17-2004, 10:27 AM
I wonder if Todd M.'s heart is really in this anymore. The Helraiser figures look really good, but I'm not sure how MacFarlane let those go. He already has a toy partnership with Clive Barker. I recognize that New Line Cinema owns the Hellraiser franchise, but as creator/exceutive producer, Clive could certainly have helped secure the toy license.

i don't kow how many hellraiser films clive was exceutive producer for. i know he wrote the stories for 1 and 2 but after that i thought he sold the rights and washed his hands of the rest. the exceutive producer tag might have been part of the deal, i don't know. selling the rights for the figures probably had nothing to do with clive barker though. there is another thread here somewhere dealing with the hellraiser/tortured souls issue and the opinion there seems to be that mcfarlane did the tortured sould lines because he couldn't get the rights to hellraiser.

i read somewhere (can't remember where) that mcfarlane would ideally like to drop the film/horror stuff and concentrate on spawn and sports figures. perhaps he is winding the movie maniacs series down towards this end. mcfarlane's loss will be other companies gains - look at neca. they have hellraiser, freddy and jason, kill bill. i don't think it matters so much who makes these figures as long as they are good.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-17-2004, 10:46 AM
There are a few "maniacs" in this line left, I mean, yeah, Sarah connor was a nutbar and Leatherface is a freakin' bag o nuts, but he should change the name of the line to "movie people who are somewhat not right in the head, but do not constitute the name of maniac" as it wouldn't be such a let down.

On that note, let me propose my idea for a new line of figures from McFarlane or even NECA: The Fugitive!! I mean, c'mon, how long have we gone without a GOOD Tommy Lee Jones figure? What a way to immortalize him in plastic than in one of his greatest roles as Dpt. Gerrard?!?! There could be a few different Kimbles too: bearded convict, dodctor disguise, janitor gear w/ film x-ray!, in his jacket w/ hoodie and maybe that little irish green hat that he wears in the parade and lastly in his pants and suitcoat!! I mean, c'mon, this line would rule!!!! Plus, you could do a box set of Gerrards team, whose names elude me now. :crazed:

P.S.- I got this idea watching "The Fugitive" on HBO last night; blame them for this brain fart. :p

Beast
02-17-2004, 11:12 AM
There were a few reasons why McFarlane didn't take the Hellraiser licenese.

1. With so many fans asking for it, the licenese holders (Dimension/Disney) had risen the price to license the series to an ammount that McFarlane was unwilling to pay.

2. Toddy only wanted to do Pinhead. Where as Dimension/Disney saw that people would like all the Cenobites produced. So that was a major sticking point.

3. Dimension/Disney had some issues with previous dealings with McFarlane. Like the Ghostface/Scream incident when Toddy tried to play games with them.

4. Dimension/Disney, well mostly the Disney aspect of it, didn't want the figures in regular toy stores. Do to they're desire to want to remain 'family friendly.

5. Dimension/Disney also saw the possibilities of Neca's other products. T-Shirts, Lunchboxes, Prop Replicas. Nice ways of making some tasty cash on the Series.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Response from McToys over all the hate for the figure line-up, from Spawn.Com:

First, this is your message board and all of you have the right to your opinion. Post, by all means. However, I will not tolerate the sort of wanton vulgarity and downright meanspiritedness I saw yesterday. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Many of you have taken a year's worth of product -- a lot of very cool stuff in there, from my perspective -- and focused your anger on three figures. THREE $10 PIECES OF PLASTIC.

I am not going to sit here and attempt to explain or justify MM7 to you. (Heck, you'd just accuse me of being an apologist or promoting a conspiracy anyway.) The line is what it is. If you don't like it, that's OK. If you like some of it, then buy what you like.

Bottom line, feel free to discuss all of this to your heart's content. But I'm asking you to do it in as civil a manner as possible without the foul language. Pretend you're talking to someone face to face; always a useful technique.

Have fun.
Dion
LOL. Oh man, that's rich as hell. You would think the whole idea would be to make the fans happy. After all, the fans buy the product. If they don't buy the product it pegwarms like a mofo. And then the stores have to clerance them out. And when the next year rolls around, they look at all the losses they took on figures from McToys. Retailer confidence falls, and then they don't order as much as they did the year before. Which makes it harder for collector's to actually find the figures they do want.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2004, 02:21 PM
From what I understand, they're upset about the swearing and the vulgar language which bordered on hate/anger. I admit, I don't know much about McFarlanes toys. I have 3 figures from the T3 line and an NBA figure. I agree they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them but also, swearing like that shouldn't be tolerated either.

Do you own a lot of McFarlanes JJB? I must admit, on the T-850 with coffin, the quality of the gun was terrible, the handle was so flimsy it ended up breaking. The quality of the figures is ok but the TX was pretty annoying, it took me ages to get the normal gun holding hand into place.

I am VERY interested in the Robocop. I do hope that it's just a regular robocop with no battle damage or anything like that. I hope it's well articulated with a holster in the leg, removeable helmet etc. :)

Beast
02-17-2004, 02:31 PM
I own a few McFarlane figures. It's mostly the company's attitude to fans, and their inferior plastics they use. I don't know anyone that collects the figures, that doesn't have broken figure issues. I think this is just Toddy's way to ensure that MM dies a painful death. So he can blame the fans for it's death. Instead of just canceling it himself. Since all he cares about really anymore, is his sports figures. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2004, 02:39 PM
None of my figures have broken... then again, I haven't done much with them, I displayed them the day I got them and haven't done anything with them. The quality of the accessories really do suck though.

Is NECA the new McFarlane then? on the SPAWN boards, they seem to talk about NECA an awful lot. His sports figures are pretty cool but are they really the bread and butter of his company?

Say, did you enjoy the McFarlane featurette on the T3 DVD JJB? :)

B'Omarr Monkey
02-17-2004, 06:00 PM
I have some figures that broke just removing them from the packaging. The plastic they use is awful, but aparently they use it because it holds all of the detail better than other plastics.

I've bought a few of the Spawn figures from the early waves, the Sleepy Hollow figures (my horse actually has broken leg, and it's still in the packaging. It's the only one I could find so I ended up keeping it), some of the Movie Maniacs, some of the Yellow Submarine, Where The Wild Things Are, and the monster playsets that came out years ago. I wish I'd bought Bob and Doug Mackenzie.

I've come to hate all of the reimagined nonsense like the Oz and Monster figs they've done recently, and generally pass on picking up anything when it first hits the stores. It generally winds up at KB six months later priced around 3 for $10.00 and I've always found what I've wanted.

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2004, 06:21 PM
I have some figures that broke just removing them from the packaging. The plastic they use is awful, but aparently they use it because it holds all of the detail better than other plastics.

What about the plastic that NECA uses? I saw their hellraiser figures and they looked pretty damn impressive and just as detailed as any McFarlane figure.

Did you get the T3 figures? I got the TX, T-850 and T-850 with Coffin. The only problem I had was the accessories. On the T-850 with Coffin, the handle on the gun broke off (and I don't even play with them!). And the interchangeable hands on the TX were really hard to change over.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-17-2004, 07:03 PM
heheheh the gun on my T-850 busted too!! I just got some super glue and he was nearly good as new. The next time he just fell and it shot off. I just kinda adjusted the gun in his hand it looked the same. Other than that, it's a great figure though. :D

arctangent
02-18-2004, 06:02 AM
thanks for that info, jar jar. i have to say that i am only interested in cenobites and characters from the first two hellraiser movies. they went rapidly down hill after that but it is nice that neca are producing lots of great figures for those that want them all.

it annoys me a bit though that people slag off mcfarlane figures for being statues and yet no one mentions the fact that the hellraiser figures are just like that too. i don't really mind about lack of articulation though. i just want figures to look good, whoever produces them.

as for breakage, the only mcfarlane figure i have had break on me was the matrix apu. the left hand control grip broke when i was trying to fit it in mifune's hand. it disappeared onto my living room floor never to be seen again. other than that i have not had a problem (except for knocking some of my tortured souls figures off their shelf which was my own fault).

Beast
02-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Well, we have an answer on the mystery of the crappy line-up. Seems McFarlane had no choice but to make 4 figures from the movie to get the license. This was confirmed by Jon from Spawn.com as well as Randy from Neca. Wow, that sucks. They should have just passed on the line. The 2003 Leatherface is not worth the other 3 crappy figures. :p

When securing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre license one of the requirements was that we would make four figures from the film. A number of you are not happy with this, but it is the way it is. We will have no problem releasing them and when you see the final product it will be of the quality you have come to expect from McFarlane Toys.

In Jon's defense that is the truth. The studio insisted on multiple figure for the TCM line. We at NECA did not see the need for the other characters and were only interested in the new version of Leatherface that is why we passed on this property.

Thanks
Randy
NECA
Reel Toys
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
02-18-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm with you on this JJB. McFarlane should've just passed on this one. The studio would've probably folded with the license issue next year if no one showed interest this year. Then Todd could've just done the Leatherface :rolleyes:

McF could've done the Toybiz/Hasbro thing and re-released some of the HTF Movie Maniacs (like Eve & Patrick from Species, or even Jason X).

LTBasker
02-18-2004, 08:41 PM
You kidding? They about strung them up on rereleasing the Aliens, who knows what they'd do if they rereleased other MM figures. Especially since usually the licenses run out after they do the line(s). (Matrix license is out, and I think they mentioned so is the T2 license)

Thanks for posting that JJB, I don't see why they didn't just say that when they announced the MM7 line, it probably would've made less people upset. True some people would've still been whiny, but not as badly. The Spawn board was in complete chaos over it. They could've gotten around it...they could've done 18"/12"/10" then 6-7" inch Leatherface figures. ;) Unless there was a clause that said they could only repeat a figure twice.

Reefer Shark
02-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Who freaked out about the Aliens re-releases? Was it the members at the Spawn.com boards?

I would believe that, the few times I've visited there I left with the impression that most of the posters are immature brats.... I seemed like almost every post I read was extremely negative in nature :rolleyes:.

Well I for one am happy about the Aliens/predator re-releases! I really wanted a masked version of that 1st Predator :). Too bad they didn't wait on the stealth Predator, he would've been movie acurate with the mask on.

It's interesting about the licenses running out after the line is released, I had no idea about that. Guess you learn something new every day. Thanks!

arctangent
02-19-2004, 04:01 AM
Well, we have an answer on the mystery of the crappy line-up. Seems McFarlane had no choice but to make 4 figures from the movie to get the license. This was confirmed by Jon from Spawn.com as well as Randy from Neca. Wow, that sucks. They should have just passed on the line. The 2003 Leatherface is not worth the other 3 crappy figures. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

having seen the flak mcfarlane are getting over this, i bet neca are glad they passed. unless you are really into the film, i can't see anyone wanting to by these four figures. i have yet to come across anyone on any of the boards i visit who is a movie maniac completist. bet mcfarlane wish they had passed as well now.

Beast
02-19-2004, 09:32 AM
I've read a couple people on the horror board that I'm on, that are Movie Maniac completists. They have all the figures, fish tanks, boxed sets, and 18". And MM7 has officially broken them of that completist nature. Go Toddy, you're making a real killing. You know what's really funny. That Toddy is the guy that passed on doing the Tall Man from Phantasm because he's not visually intresting. Yet, he's making Old Monty, Sheriff Hoyt, and an Erin figure? Bwah? :stupid: :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
02-19-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm sure those three figures will be short packed into cases with the other ones being more abundant. Of course this means that, after three cases get opened and put on pegs, The Robocop, Hicks and probably even Leatherface will all be snapped up right away leaving the lame figures sitting on the pegs keeping any further restocking from happening.

I know that the Mars Attacks license had a similar deal (I actually forget who made the toys) where they had to make the Martain Spy Girl because Tim Burton wanted an action figure of his then girlfriend. This is why there were so few of them. Of course, this is the figure everybody ended up wanting anyway.

I doubt the same can be said of the TCM Erin figure.

Beast
02-20-2004, 05:46 PM
More BS from Jon Goff on the Spawn board. They basically proved that they lied thru their teeth. A while back after the flak that the MM6 All Alien vs. Predator wave recieved. They promised that MM7 would go back to the old ways of doing the line ups. Basically movies from quite a few different sources. Like was commen in MM1-MM5. But his post today seems to indicate that they never had any other figures beyond these for MM7. :rolleyes:

It's mostly a timing issue (not very specific but that's all the info I've got). We weren't going to push back MM7 and the TCM figures need to be made within a certain time period. It only made sense to combine the two.

I'm not going to get into a debate over why or how things happen so I hope that explaination will do. If you are unhappy with the line-up for MM7 I suggest you concentrate on the positive. Robocop, Hicks, a new Leatherface, 12" Alien and Predator and a number of other figures have all been widely requested on these boards and even if none of them are to your liking you can at least take comfort in the fact that, yes, contrary to what a few narrowed-minded individuals may say, we do listen to our fans. Not to mention we are working hard to create a lot (a whole lot) of interesting figures for you in the coming year.
-Jon

Q1) Will 12 inch Leatherface have sound?

Q2) When will pics of MM7 be released?

1) I don't think the 12" figures will have sound.

2) Not for a few months. I have only seen two rough sculpts and two sketches at this point so i will be a while before we have anything ready to show. Rememer, we're dealing with movie licenses here so we can't show images until they have been approved be the studios.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
02-21-2004, 12:33 PM
By the time the TCM figures hit stores will anyone still care? (I mean the 5 people who might care about this license now).

plasticfetish
02-23-2004, 02:37 AM
By the time the TCM figures hit stores will anyone still care? (I mean the 5 people who might care about this license now).
You know, as I've been reading over this thread from the top, that's kind of what I was thinking in the back my head. (Funny.) As big of a "Chainsaw" fan as I am, I've still yet to even see this remake, so for sure I couldn't care less about the figures.

But... I suppose even today I'm still thankful that McFarlane made the first Leatherface figure. Back then, I was pleasantly shocked that anyone would give us one. Sort of wish the same kind of surprise could continue with this line today. Yet, there always seems to be one or two figures in every group that I'm interested in. MM1 - I only cared about Leatherface, but Jason and Freddy seemed good. The Species stuff I could live without. MM2 - Norman Bates I bought, though I ended up buying a second one when the first broke. Michael Myers and Pumpkinhead I liked but passed on, the Crow and the Chucky stuff wasn't for me at all. MM3 - There's a lot of good things going on with this bunch. I was kind of excited to see figures from The Thing. Ash was good, The Fly, Snake Plissken and Edward Scissorhands were cool. Even that Kong set was kind of a neat idea. It ended up that I bought nothing from this wave in the end though. Simply had to edit my toy buying down a bit. (Probably go and get an Ash at some point.) MM4 - had nothing for me. I'm not wild about the Terminator stuff for some reason, (don't know why) it's all decent, but not for me. Evil Ash is good but I passed. Blair Witch, Candyman and (way better sculpt) Freddy I'm not interested in. MM5 - Again, not much for me. The Lord of Darkness seemed very nice, but I passed and wasn't really interested in the rest. Even the Alien and Predator set I passed on because I don't care much for the Predator stuff. MM6 - I was a little McFarlane shy at first... was worried about the quality of the Alien figures, but as it turns out, they're all pretty good. Bought both carded Alien figs and just a week or so ago picked up the Queen set at Tower on sale. I love them all, and am pretty excited about more Alien stuff. Frankly, at this point that's all I care about. If McFarlane Toys wants to honk out an Alien figure every so often, I'll be happy to take a look. I suppose I'm interested to see what Hicks looks like, but I'd really like it if they did some Alien (1) human (or robot!!!) figures. Now, a really good (Alien) Ash that has a removable head or something, would be enough to pleasantly shock me once again. Just as long as it's made well, and the parts that are supposed to fall off, are the only ones that do fall off.

arctangent
03-01-2004, 07:13 AM
i have found this piece of news posted on www.mcfarlaneguide.com :

McFarlane Loses Rights to Key Spawn Characters
Angela, Medieval Spawn, and Cogliostro no more

This story kind of blindsided me yesterday. Apparently there has been an ongoing Court battle between Todd McFarlane and Comic Writer Neil Gaimen for the rights to several characters used and produced by Todd over a number of years.
The battle apparantly began after McFarlane failed to live up to its end of an agreement between he and Gaimen to pay Royalties for Gaimen created Spawn characters Angela, Medieval Spawn, and Cogliostro. The battle came to a head when McFarlane purchased fledgling comic publishers 'Eclipse' and supposedly the rights to another Gaimen created character 'Miracleman', also known as MarvelMan.
After a renegotiation of terms that was supposed to put MiracleMan back in the hands of Gaimen, and Medieval Spawn, and Cogliostro back in the hands of McFarlane, Todd balked again and Gaimen was forced to pursue a Court Trial.
Gaimen publicly states "This suit is not about the money, it's about respecting the rights of the creator and keeping promises." Gaiman has stated publicly that any money he might realize personally from the suit will be donated to charities.
One is reminded of the reasons Todd set out on his own in the first place, and wonders why he would take such a corporate approach in a situation that he was once on the other side of.
McFarlane now has 20 days to respond to the results, which experts say should land a statement around the beginning of March.

so it looks like todd has come unstuck trying to trample over someone else who he probably didn't expect to fight back. i guess jjb was right about mcfarlane's ethics.

Beast
03-01-2004, 10:54 AM
It only slightly mentions it in the actual story. But you know what's really freakin' funny about that story. That's pretty much the exact same reason that Toddy and several other comic creators left Marvel for. The fact that characters they created became property of Marvel Comics. So, nice to see that since Toddy's no longer the little fish in the big pond. He's the Loch Ness Monster, doing the exact same thing that caused the formation of Image Comics in the first bloody place. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
03-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Todd needs to replace Rob Liefeld on that rumoured reality show. ;)

I also wonder if Neil Gaimen is related to Neil Gaiman, the great comic writer?

LTBasker
03-01-2004, 01:07 PM
There was an extension though, now Todd and Gaimen are co-owners of Cog, Angela and Medieval Spawn. Just like it should be, considering Gaimen created them and Todd made the universe. So yeah...

I think that baseball took the place of Todd's actual pair. :p

arctangent
03-02-2004, 05:29 AM
It only slightly mentions it in the actual story. But you know what's really freakin' funny about that story. That's pretty much the exact same reason that Toddy and several other comic creators left Marvel for. The fact that characters they created became property of Marvel Comics. So, nice to see that since Toddy's no longer the little fish in the big pond. He's the Loch Ness Monster, doing the exact same thing that caused the formation of Image Comics in the first bloody place. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

i guess todd has a short memory.

plasticfetish
04-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Pics over at figures.com (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=31&show_article=266) (and the McFarlane site) of the 12" Alien and Predator figures. Very exciting... how do they differ from the boxed set version... or do they? Any one know?

Jayspawn
04-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Yeah I'm pretty much done with McFarlane all together. They've sat on their *** time and time again while other toy companies got the better lines. Then come release time -they release figures, varients and exclusives that nobody cares about. The only reason they're still in business is the sports fans who are hooked on buying versions of an athlete with this or that jersey variation. They're Spawn, Music, Movie Maniacs and Monsters lines are dead.

Its all been done.

gambitguru
04-10-2004, 04:32 PM
i have an extra alien queen if anybody wants to trade or buy pm me
i like the new wave with Sam & twitch does any1 read them?

i think he predator figs were coollol lol lol lol

arctangent
04-13-2004, 04:55 AM
Pics over at figures.com (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=31&show_article=266) (and the McFarlane site) of the 12" Alien and Predator figures. Very exciting... how do they differ from the boxed set version... or do they? Any one know?

apart from the bases, i don't think they do differ. its 12" versions of those two figures.

plasticfetish
04-14-2004, 02:20 AM
Yep, that's what I thought... only bigger.
Mmmm. Can't wait to add another Alien to the shelf. It'll look very nice up next to my silly (but fun) 12" Hasbro Alien "doll" from a few years back. Mcfarlane is very lucky that I'm a complete sucker for Alien stuff.

Wonder when we'll see pics of the Alien vs. Predator figures as well?

Beast
07-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Well, got the first picture from MM7. It's of Erin, the victim chick from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake film. Looks pretty boring, and stuck in basically one pose. I'm really tired of McFarlane doing statues instead of figures. I have a great amount of dread for both Robocop and Hicks. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Binks, i have two words for you: Jessica Biel. :crazed:

This figure is kinda, "eh", but i'm REALLY looking forward to how the rest of the line will look. I know many are tired of McFarlanes "statues" and stuff, but he's been doing it for years, it's time to move on and let it go! I mean, he's been doing it for a while, does it now and will continue to do it. We don't have to like it, but we should let it go. Not gonna change anytime soon, my friends. :D

arctangent
07-02-2004, 05:38 AM
I'm really tired of McFarlane doing statues instead of figures. I have a great amount of dread for both Robocop and Hicks.

hicks will probably end up being fairly immobile but i have high hopes for robocop - they should be able to make him in a similar way to the terminator exoskeleton from a few years back. that had lots of articulation which was hidden by the terminator's design. hopefully they will do robocop in a similar way and use his armour to hide the joints.

or do you think i am being hopelessly optimistic :rolleyes: ?

Beast
07-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Well, all of the MM7 line has been revealed but Hicks. Hicks is on hold until later, due to the sculpt not yet being finalized and approved. But here is Robocop, Leatherface, Sheriff Hoyt, Old Monty, and 12" Leatherface. Robocop looks pretty good, though judging by the color it's the Robocop 2 version. The TCMRedux figures don't intrest me at all. :)

http://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=206

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh, and here's the better picture of Erin. Sorry to post twice in a row, but I only could post 5 pictures per post. I'll definatly get Robocop, he looks badarse. I'll have to wait and see Hicks, when he's revealed. But the Texas Chainsaw figures are a massive dissapointment. Massive amounts of pre-posed stances, especially on Sheriff Hoyt and Erin. Good thing I didn't want or care about them anyway. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
07-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Agreed, Robocop looks good! Also agreed, I couldn't care less about those "chainsaw" figures. (Though I might get Hoyt, 'cause I'm an R Lee fan. ;) )

Bring me somethin' from TCM1 or TCM2 McFarlane and we'll talk!

Thanks for the pics JarJar! My kid's really gotten into Robocop this summer and he's gonna flip when he sees this. :)

Beast
07-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, Hicks has been revealed. And I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in him as well. The facial sculpt doesn't look very much like Michael Biehn, and the armor doesn't even look right. In my opinion, only Robocop is really worthy of my bucks at the moment. Shame really, cause Hicks could have been kick arse. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
07-17-2004, 01:56 AM
Hmmm. My first thought is that he seems way more beefy than the actor. That, and I don't remember him having any tattoo on his left arm. The likeness isn't terrible, but I'd have to put in the DVD to check the gear and all that. Mostly, I'm just not thrilled with it being a total statue.

I'll just stick with the xenomorphs I suppose.

Jedibill
07-17-2004, 01:11 PM
All Mcfarlane toys suck now there nothing more then unplayable statues. he should relaunch the Spawn line in a Marvel legends sort of way with the classics and move on from there never making the same figure twice Comic book versions only no super spawn or skiing spawn just my thought.

arctangent
07-19-2004, 04:41 AM
i think hicks looks ok. i like the shotgun and tracker on his back but he is a bit beefier than michael biehn. apparently mcfarlane may alter this and darken the paint scheme for the release. the big issue elsewhere seems to be the fact that his helmet is missing, which is something else they should sort out. hopefully they will include it loose in the packaging.

as for mcfarlane toys now being 'unplayable statues', when have they ever been anything else? not many mcfarlane releases have much articulation (with the possible exception of the aliens and predators) and this doesn't bother me. i don't play with my figures - they are bought for display purposes.

it is mcfarlanes style not to include huge amounts of articulation. they have always been a sculpt over articulation company - if you don't like it, don't buy the product. i think by changing spawn to a marvel legends style with 30+ poa they would lose more customers than they would gain.

and as for only producing one figure from each comic, every wave of marvel legends now seems to come with an obligatory different version of wolverine.

Jayspawn
07-19-2004, 10:27 AM
*yawn* Whats that? McFarlane has another line on the way? Going back to bed.

Jedibill
07-19-2004, 03:22 PM
I dont buy them and way back at wave 1 and 2 they were toys. If your gonna make toys make them fun and worth the money.

arctangent
07-20-2004, 04:58 AM
well, mcfarlane figures certainly aren't marketed as toys these days.

plasticfetish
07-21-2004, 04:46 AM
I dont buy them and way back at wave 1 and 2 they were toys. If your gonna make toys make them fun and worth the money.I'm not sure which "waves" you're talking about, Movie Maniacs or Spawn in general. If it's Movie Maniacs, then I'd say they were never more toy-like in the beginning than they are now. I grabbed the Leatherface figure, and was really happy to have it, being that no one had done a TCM toy at that point. I think that the articulation was terrible on that figure, but that's not why I bought it. So... that's pretty much how I've come to deal with the entire line's limited articulation. It kind of depends on what you really want from these "toys" and what you consider "fun." I do totally agree with statement about McFarlane toy quality being seriously unpredictable -- and that's putting it mildly. We should be able pay for something, open it, and then not have to glue 2 or 3 pieces back on right away.

Case in point, I just picked up a Predator 2 figure -- the first and only Predator figure that I've bought. There were 2 broken accessories, so I returned it. Too bad. Chances are good that I won't do anymore "impulse buying" when it comes to McFarlane toys. (Should have known better.) I will grab the stuff I really want though, I'll just have to look it over carefully before I buy it.

Jedibill
07-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Don't get me wrong Mcfarlane figures are some of the best looking figures there are but i think thats all they have too offer theres little play value, maybe they are geared more to the collectors then kids but they are sold in toy stores so they shoud be for kids too. I'm not saying the need 67 points of articulation just the basics like elbows and knees and head maybe the waist, 6 to 10 points thats all put them in a package standing tall not preposed with arms and legs that bend in funny places.

plasticfetish
07-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Yeah... I know what you're saying and I personally agree. It'd be great if they did have more articulation. It'd also be great if they could figure out a way to really QC their stuff so that the little (sometimes big) flaws don't end up ruining the lines and their reputation, which pretty much sucks in a lot of ways as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a question... from everyone reading this that collects McFarlane toys or ever has. Of all the toys that you've ever bough from them, roughly, what percent would you say (or by number) have ended up breaking or being broken when you opened up the package?

I may go to the discussion at Comic-con that'll have McFarlane developers there. It'd be interesting to have some numbers to toss out if I ask a related question.

arctangent
07-22-2004, 03:31 AM
with the alien vs predator figures, the aliens have 13 points of 'useful' articulation and the predators have 21 points of 'useful' articulation. interesting use of the term useful there!

as for broken figures the only mcfarlane figure i have that is broken is my matrix sentinel, which was fine until a couple of weeks ago when i picked it up to move it to another shelf and the left arm fell off! which i am pretty angry about.

apart from that, i have never had a figure break or be broken when it came out of the packaging. a couple of my tortured souls figures broke but that was because i knocked them off their shelf whilst drunk, so i don't think that really counts :crazed: !

plasticfetish
08-11-2004, 03:41 AM
I like my xenomorphs and I like 'em big! Found the 12" Alien figure at TRU (Signal Hill, if Deoxy's reading) tonight and it's very, very pretty. My new favorite desk toy!

They had a pile of them BTW, so I'm sure nobody's gonna have a hard time finding these.

Reefer Shark
08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
That's pretty sweet PF. I saw both the Alien and Predator the other day at TRU also. They both looked great, and it was hard to pass up on 'em. The $30 dollar price tag was what turned me off. If they were at least a little different from the 2-pack versions I would be all over 'em.

Although I have to admit your pic kinda makes me want to go get 'em......

plasticfetish
08-12-2004, 02:03 AM
Yeah, $30 seems a bit steep, but that's really only $20 for the alien and $10 for the base and 3 face huggers. ;)

jonthejedi
08-12-2004, 04:13 AM
Found AVP figures at my local Toys R Us yesterday...clumsily displayed on an off-aisle spinner(on top no less). This seems to be all the space McFarlane Toys are getting. Celtic & Scar Predator seem too much alike. I bought the Battle Alien. I didn't see Elder Predator anywhere, so I don't know if he's in this wave or not. Nice packaging & at 9.99@, better price point than Game Stop. Still waiting for my Aliens playset from Action Xpress in Hawaii. Predators all had helments on...will there be variants?

Reefer Shark
08-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey jonthejedi,
Yeah.. Elder Predator is in the assortment, he just seems to be a bit short packed. I stumbled into a huge display of them at a TRU (seriously, probably about 15 full pegs), and I could only find 3 Elders.

The Scar Predators mask apears to be removable, but Scars mask isn't. So maybe we will get a variant of some sort (which definitely would not be neccessary).

I bought all 3 Predators since they seem to be going first. I know I'll have plenty of chances at the Aliens.

arctangent
08-12-2004, 10:15 AM
i believe there will be a scar predator variant with no helmet. i can undertsand why they have done this because the predator from the movie maniacs series whose helmet is removeable doesn't work too well. i have found it falls off if you such as breathe on it, let alone pick it up to reposition it.

if mcfarlane had been feeling generous they could have given both heads in one pack a la marvel legends deadpool. obviously they are not feeling generous.

plasticfetish
08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
I bought all 3 Predators since they seem to be going first. I know I'll have plenty of chances at the Aliens.This is true. I hit the same TRU tonight as the other night, and all of the Predator figures were gone now. They still had a few Alien figs though.

Who else saw the AvP preview show on Fox tonight? Up until now, I was only semi-interested, but now I'm really into it. It looks cool. Could be a lot of fun.

Beast
10-15-2004, 08:32 PM
And more proof that Toddy hates you....

I also have some updated information on our Alien vs. Predator Scar Predator and MOVIE MANIACS 7 Corporal Hicks action figures to share with you today.

We’ll start things off with Scar Predator…

I had previously announced we would be releasing a second, “helmetless” version of our Scar Predator action figure from our recently released Alien vs. Predator line. The possible “helmetless” Scar Predator will actually be part of a future McFarlane Toys AvP line as opposed to the line that we have in stores now.

“Does that mean it will be in Alien vs. Predator Series 2?”

At this point, I can’t give any details as to our plans for our second AvP line, because we are still in the early stages of development, but we will keep you informed as we move forward over the next several months.

On another note, our Corporal Hicks figure, which we originally announced would be released in a total of three separate versions (retail without helmet, retail with helmet, Collector's Club Exclusive with helmet), will now only be available in two versions – one retail, one Collector's Club. Here is a breakdown of the differences between the two separate Hicks figures…

Corporal Hicks (RETAIL)
-No helmet.
-Pulse rifle.
-Detailed base.

Corporal Hicks (COLLECTOR’S CLUB EXCLUSIVE)
-Helmet.
-Shotgun.
-Motion tracker.
-Detailed base including Alien egg sack and dead facehugger.

Sorry for any confusion there may have been surrounding these two figures and thank you for your patience in this matter.

-Jon
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
10-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Mmm, I'd say it's god news that there's only going to be two versions of Hicks. (Too bad the version I'd want is a Collector's Club Exclusive though.)

jonthejedi
11-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Sighted Corp. Hicks(no helmet) at Suncoast, Hot Topic & Game Stop at my local mall...but I'm not paying $13-15 for him. Oh, I want a decent Ripley figure.

James Boba Fettfield
11-30-2004, 10:41 AM
How 'bout that Robocop? Anyone else as interested in that figure as I was? EB Games got him out to me, finally, last week. He's a nice figure in package, not sure how hot he is once he escapes the plastic. I will never know, unless I buy a second to open.

Now if only NECA or someone would do a T-800 endoskeleton soon. I missed out on the McFarlane version, so I would be happy to see something new done. Then I could stage a live action version of the Robocop Vs. Terminator video game.

El Chuxter
11-30-2004, 12:12 PM
I found Robocop at Suncoast on sale (though not marked as such) for $7.99. I had to pick up all three they had for myself and friends who want only him from this craptacular wave.

plasticfetish
12-01-2004, 12:40 AM
I found Robocop at Suncoast on saleAhhh, thanks for the tip... I need to get one of those for the kid for X-mas. He's been using a Cap'n Kirk doll wrapped in aluminum foil as Robocop for about a year now.

Even if the McFar-toy lasts only ten minutes before he breaks it, it'll be fun to see him enjoy it

-----

Saw "no helmet Hicks" at Tower Records, and I'm not impressed at all.

plasticfetish
12-02-2004, 01:54 AM
How 'bout that Robocop? Anyone else as interested in that figure as I was? EB Games got him out to me, finally, last week. He's a nice figure in package, not sure how hot he is once he escapes the plastic. I will never know, unless I buy a second to open.Found Robocop today at SamGoody (my Suncoast didn't have them out yet) and I bought one to open. I'm not crazy. I'm not giving my kid a McFarlane toy before I get a chance to open it up and see if it's broken. Fact is, of the three the store had on the peg, one had a broken leg rattling around inside the bubble. So... Dad gets to play test this one first.

The verdict? Robocop is cool. There's more articulation than I expected -- which is something I don't really count on from McFarlane anymore. The detail and paint are good. It's a heavy figure, and it comes with a weapon and a cool base, though he seems to stand very nicely on his own.

Good stuff! I'll probably go out and buy another now for me, though I'm gonna have to hide them both for X-mas. :)

James Boba Fettfield
12-02-2004, 07:07 AM
I was afraid mine would come with a broken leg after reading reports about this figure on other message boards. Luckily he did not. NOW I AM DONE WITH McFARLANE TOYS!!!!

. . . unless McFarlane releases ED-209, then I will be pulled back in.