PDA

View Full Version : what is a "yes man" ?

derek
12-09-2001, 06:37 PM
in regards to the interview of former ILM employee mark austin, the subject of lucas surrounding himself with "yes men" has risen. we all know the classic definition of a "yes man" as one who suppresses his own opinions for fear of losing favor with their superiors.

but in regards to an artist or technician hired to create certain computer generated film sequences, does the said employee have any right expressing displeasure to his employer regarding the "greedo shoots first" discussion, for example? or are they there simply to perform a certain task and keep their opinions to themself?

we would all regard it honorable if an ILM employee would stand up to lucas and say,"george, you're losing it. there is no way greedo should of shot first." but in reality, the CGI artist was not hired for that purpose. now, if lucas had hired someone specifically to "help out" in the script writing process of a film, i would have no problem with the hired writer speaking his mind.

bigbarada
12-09-2001, 07:12 PM
Good point. I have noticed that people who regularly overstep their bounds become bothersome very quickly. It's not the ILM artist's job to question the story or the merits of a sequence. He/she is just there to provide artwork.

However, as a counterpoint, Lucas should regularly seek the opinions of others when it comes to the merits of his stories and ideas. You can't write in a vacuum, meaning that if you involve yourself too much in a story then there is a danger of getting lost in it. You always need that detached objective person (read: someone who's paycheck you don't sign) to pull you out and show you what's not working.

In other words, don't blame the ILM workers and McCallum for just doing what they're told, that's their job. Blame Lucas for being too independent and not accepting his own shortcomings.

derek
12-09-2001, 07:42 PM
the thing is, when lucas was making episode 4, everyone(industry folk) thought he was crazy. but now that he's a billionaire, even those not on his payroll, like speilburg and ron howard, gush at what a genius he is.

JediTricks
12-09-2001, 10:42 PM
Mr. Austin and other ILMers are hired for their expertice in their fields, or at least to hone their skills until it becomes a expertice, so in that respect, anybody who DOESN'T share their opinion on how something will play out that they are working on is a "yes man". As for production and writing issues, Lucas was never the only guy at the top, he worked with Gary Kurtz before ROTJ, and Kurtz, in his role as producer, definitely questioned lots of outlandish stuff Lucas thought up. So I think Mark is right.

Obi-Don
01-02-2002, 12:33 AM
Me and my wife were talking about this tonight after watching a movie called "Saving PVT. Ryan" The thought we had is GL should let the director who did this movie.I believe it was Speilberg.Direct the new ones, they would be awesome.GL has a great mind and is a wonderful story teller, but he sucks as a director.No offence GL.Love you,Mean it. We believe with these two together there would be no stopping the kind of quality of these movies.

jeddah
01-02-2002, 09:20 AM
Lucasfilm is not a meritocracy, it's an Empire; why would he listen to anyone else under those circumstances? If Pisarro (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/****arro/orchard.jpg) didn't think Seurat's (http://www.oir.ucf.edu/wm/paint/auth/seurat/gravelines/seurat.gravelines.jpg) idea of impressionism wascool, he would not needed to have listen either. I am not comparing fine art with film, but they were contemporaries and Pisarro was somewhat mentored by Seurat. Seurat had created his own empire and needed no-one else, much in the same way as GL has.

Just a lateral thought (or perhaps a brainfart, for which I apologise) ;)

jeddah

2-1B
04-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Star Wars Insider #41, pg 12

"With some film directors you have a totally collaborative involvement, but on Star Wars, we don't question what George wants, we just do it. And that's because this is his vision and it's the right one, and our job is to help George bring his vision to life."
-- Rick McCallum

:D

SWAFMAN
04-07-2002, 01:05 AM
Rick McCallum must've been the nose model for the Ewok characters

Dar' Argol
04-07-2002, 01:06 AM
Caesar, this obsesstion with rick has got to stop! I could stand the first Rick Av, the second I was begining to accept, but QUOTING HIM AS WELL??? We, your friends her at SSG, have come together to help you. This intervention is for your own good.

Rick McCullum is not a good man, he is bad. Repeat after me:

RICK IS BAD. RICK IS BAD. RICK IS BAD.

We are only doing this for your own good:D.

Someone call the institute now!

Wolfwood319
04-07-2002, 01:08 AM
I think Rick got it right on the nose, and at least he's honest about it. The way I feel, if your an ILM or Lucasfilm employee, and don't like the way things work, quit.

SithDroid
04-07-2002, 01:47 PM
Well if McCallum says that is what happens, then it must be so.

Caesar, with the new Rick McCallum avatar you have, I felt as if Rick was posting that himself.

By the way Caesar, I like the Rick Avatar. I find it quite humorous that someone would actually use it. Keep them coming. I get a laugh out of it everytime.

JediTricks
04-07-2002, 11:02 PM
ANH was a collaboration between director/writer Lucas, producer Gary Kurtz, and artistic design genius Ralph McQuarrie; the film is considered to be the cinematic turning point in Hollywood in just about every single way. Lucas was argued with and questioned many times and the film is the only Star Wars film to have been nominated for a Best Picture academy award.
ESB was a collaborative effort between director Irvin Kershner, producer Kurtz, and writer Lawrence Kasdan; the film is considered by a majority of the SW fan community to be the best SW film to date. Lucas' vision was supposedly not even in the building for the making of this film.
I cannot imagine why some Star Wars fans deify Lucas to the point where anybody who disagrees with him is not only wrong, but deserves to remove themselves from the project. Despite what McCallum and the modern LFL propeganda machine might have us think, no one man has unerring, infallible vision and Lucas did not create Star Wars alone.

Wolfwood319
04-07-2002, 11:23 PM
I wasn't saying that people who disagree with Lucas should quit. I was commenting that if people don't like the way things work over at Lucasfilm (i.e. them having no say in the project whatsoever) then they should quit.

People may not like what Lucas has done in recent years, but unfortunately for some, Lucas is the man at the helm.

2-1B
04-08-2002, 03:21 AM
Regarding Kasdan and ESB:

I've been digging through some old Insiders lately, and yesterday I read their 2000 ESB 20th anniversary issue. They have an interview with Kasdan, and I got the impression he was really tiptoeing around some of the issues we have been discussing. Without quoting (I don't have it handy), he was certain to praise George for the story (not specifics, just the 3 Act function). But he was also very clear in crediting Irvin Kershner for making the movie the way he did. He balances that with ROTJ, and how he didn't think Richard Marquandt was successful in "putting his stamp on it" like Kershner did.

It's not incredibly in depth, but it's a good read. I recommend that issue to anyone, there are a lot of good bits (interview with Clive Revill, for example).

:)

JediTricks
04-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I wasn't saying that people who disagree with Lucas should quit. I was commenting that if people don't like the way things work over at Lucasfilm (i.e. them having no say in the project whatsoever) then they should quit.Ah, but McCallum's post that you were agreeing with in your earlier comment wasn't talking about how things work, McC was saying "...on Star Wars, we don't question what George wants, we just do it. And that's because this is his vision and it's the right one..." You don't have to read between the lines to see that McCallum is taking his role as yes-man very seriously.

Wolfwood319
04-08-2002, 07:53 PM
I was referring to the case with art designers, etc. Like Mark Austin. Not Austin in particular, but those who have jobs like his. They might want to have their input in the creative process, but in reality at ILM they have little to none. I was saying that those that don't like the way that is, they shouldn't be there, because that is the way things work at ILM. Its George's way or the Highway, it seems, and I respect that.

You can't say that Lucas's vision of Star Wars is the wrong one, can you?