PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4

James Boba Fettfield
02-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Taken from http://www.the-magicbox.com:

Appearance:

* The game can be played in first person view and two other view perspectives.
* RE4 supports 16:9 widescreen (which is mandatory) and 480 progressive scan. When the game is played on a regular screen, there are black borders on top and bottom.
* When the game plays in 3rd person view, the main character Leon stays in the far left side of the screen, making it like playing a first person shooter.
* The controls remain the same in the series, but the health and ammo indicators will be onscreen.
* The entire world is in full 3D, there are no open door animation and pre-rendered cutscenes, all scenes are rendered in real time.

Background Story:

* The story of RE4 takes place in 2004, six years after the incident of RE2
* The Umbrella Corp and the zombies have disappeared
* Leon is appointed by the president to guard his daughter, but before he takes the job, she has been kidnapped and taken to a village in South America, where all villagers are in an eerie trance, trying to hunt down Leon.
* The enemies will react to their body wounds, e.g. shooter the enemy's foot will make him hobble.
* The villagers are armed with weapons such as sickles, axes, pitchforks and other sharpen objects, and they have intelligence like in Sony's SIREN. For example one may pretend running away, luring you into his traps.
* It is possible to shoot an object thrown at you with the right timing.
* There is an action button which serves for different purposes, such as moving objects, kick the enemy and keep the enemies in distance.
* There are certain levels that are in complete darkness, you can only rely on moonlight illumination on the villagers.
* There are gigantic bosses who can catch Leon and hurl him through the air.
* Leon will have a sniper and hand gun as weapon.

No zombies and Umbrella? Villagers in a trance? Protecting the president's daughter? So this is called RE4, but the only thing RE about it is the character of Leon? I hope this information is wrong, because this doesn't sound right.

There are some pics of it at http://www.creature-corner.com/news4/feb16re4.php3

I hope this turns out better than I think it will.

AmanaMatt
02-21-2004, 06:16 AM
For some reason, I have a hard time getting into this series, though some of the pics seem cool.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-17-2004, 10:42 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/adventure/residentevil4/screenindex.html

New screenshots and a huge report on the game are available; above is a link for the screenshots, which look alright. From the summary, it seems that this game is going to suck serious arse. No Umbrella and no Zombie action and he's protecting the Presidents daughter? Lame. The whole plot just sounds really crappy; however, the new aiming system is quite nifty from what i understand, but i think i'll pass on this one. I'll just stick with playing the classics on my PS2 and then get "Outbreak" when it hits the shelves. :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't feel as bad about the game after watching a trailer for the game. Sure the slow zombies are gone, but it looks like the monsters remain. These villagers look to be fun as well. I will miss the zombies, but I think the development team will not let me down on this one.

QLD
04-07-2004, 12:17 AM
I will probably give it a whirl. But it seems to me lately that the RE series has jumped the shark.

Lord Malakite
04-07-2004, 12:48 AM
No Umbrella and no Zombie action and he's protecting the Presidents daughter? Lame.
Actually, Umbrella is behind the events of RE4 according to Resident Evil's creator in a recent interview.

mrmiller
05-02-2004, 12:42 PM
I just hope it's better than outbreak. That game had huge potential, and was a big time dissapointment. I'm still looking forward to RE4, but if they don't get that right RE may be on it's way out.

=MATT=

Dar' Argol
05-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Outbreak really disapointed me. Thank the maker I rented it. Usually when I rent a game, I don't put it down until either A) I have to take it back or B) I beat it. I played Outbreak for 2 days and didn't touch it again! And I can't put my finger on what was wrong, but it just ticked me off. Maybe the online play is where this game is strong, but I don't have broadband to play it. I like the idea that if you "die" online you becaome a Zombie to turn on your friends . . . he he he.

So I went out and rented Hitman: Contracts . . . . now there's a game I didn't put down :D!!!

Hellboy
06-10-2004, 06:54 PM
OMG, I just wet myself!!! :eek: :nerv:

I just watched the RE4 demo video that was played at this years E3 and my jaw is still on the floor. Not in my wildest dreams did I think the game was going end up looking this different and amazing.

If you're even the least bit interested you have to see this, it's that good. You can download the trailer here.

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/015/015821/vids_1.html

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, i hereby take back all bad statements I said about this game. One of the roomies got it about two hours ago and it's just JAWDROPPING. The graphics are superb and the new aiming system is fantastic once you get used to where the laser aim is aiming. I wasn't a fan of the plot.........until you get into the village and start getting attacked. These bastids are a PAIN IN THE NALGAS to take down. I think we put about 8 bullets into one of them and he still kept coming!!! These guys are much spookier than the zombies, though, i still miss them!! These folks come at you with everything: pitchforks, knives, axes and this dude came at us with a chainsaw!!!! he even had this bag over his head. It was just incredibly scary as hell.

The weapons are great so far and we have been finding bullets everywhere. We picked up a chainsaw, but have saved it for desperate situations. The kicking feature is great. Once you put a few bullets into them and get close enough, you kick'em and their head just detonates. The actions are better as you can jump over fences and as we did, jump out windows and do barrel rolls, so it doesn't hurt you. Just awesome.

Best RE game ever. I can't wait till it hits the PS2 around Christmas. I guess i should beat Nemesis and Code Veronica in the meantime. Cheers! :D

Hellboy
02-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Well over the past few weeks this game has become my new addiction. I've logged some pretty serious hours into it and it seems I'm quite near the end. Let me start off by saying this game does not and will not disappoint Resident Evil fans in any way. It literally takes everything that was dated with the old format and improves upon it. Gone are the days of shuffling inventory between storage chests or having to backtrack through old areas (for the most part) to further your progress in the game. The fully 3-D environments are impressive and the level design is amazing. The voice acting is actually quite good for once and the A.I. is more formidable than ever. One of the coolest things is the rag-doll physics of the ememies as you blast them with a much improved assortment of weaponry. The graphics need to be seen to be believed and have some of the most realistic looking fire effects to appear in a video game, argueably one of the best looking console games ever.

While it isn't as creepy as the Silent Hill series IMO it is incredibly atmospheric and there is rarely a dull moment. Best Gamecube game so far IMO and I'd wager it will be considered one of the years best games when all is said and done.

plasticfetish
02-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Very cool! I'm playing through RE Zero right now -- I'm looking forward to playing RE4 next.

Hellboy
03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Alright I know I've been hyping this game up but I continue to be incerdibly impressed. Over the weekend I finished the game and was thrilled to find out upon completion you unlock 2 more games. While these aren't full games they aren't just mini-games either. The first game is called 'Mercenaries" and is basically a timed killing spree. You start off in one of 4 areas playing as Leon but the more enemies you kill the more stars you get (no pun intended ;) ) resulting in more unlockable characters. In the other game you're playing another character altogether (who I won't reveal because its definitely a spoiler) who die-hard RE fans are sure to recognize. This charcter figures prominently into the RE4 storyline and the mission in question takes place concurrent to Leon's adventure covering terrain that you played through in the regular game but from a new prospective and with an entirely different purpose. Great stuff. :classic:

Jedi Destroyer666
03-21-2005, 07:39 PM
For some reason, I have a hard time getting into this series, though some of the pics seem cool.
I have the same problem with resident evil games. I always get bored of them very quickly and didnt like the past controls. RE4 Im impressed with though..

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-29-2006, 12:56 PM
For my fellow PS2ers, the game has FINALLY hit 19.99! I picked it up today with much glee. Now, I just need to e-bay RE: Nemesis and then have a marathon beating Nemesis, Veronica X and then RE4. :crazed:

JON9000
10-29-2006, 05:50 PM
This is one of my all time favorite games. I was hoping it would never end. I've played 1, Nemesis, and 4- 4 is easily the best.

Oh, and for a bunch of pixels, Ada is ahem, pretty well-rendered.

Lord Malakite
11-01-2006, 01:54 AM
For my fellow PS2ers, the game has FINALLY hit 19.99!

On that note I also have some news to report to fellow GCNers who may have been holding out, the "Resident Evil 10th Aniversary Collector's Edition" is now on sale ($39.99) exclusively at GameStop and EB Games stores. This special bundle includes three RE games: Resident Evil (GCN Remake), Resident Evil Zero, and Resident Evil 4.

JON9000
11-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Maybe once Wii is out they'll port the original RE and RE zero onto the PS2, sorta like how they ported 2 and 3 onto the Nintendo.