PDA

View Full Version : 'House of Mouse' buys 'The Muppets'!!.....Nooooooo!!!

Beast
02-17-2004, 04:17 PM
For the love of god, no. Disney gobbles up another magical thing like the Muppets. I seriously cannot believe that the 'Jim Henson Co' would sell out to Disney. I'm not the biggest Muppet fan on the block, but I can tell that this news will lead to no good.

Disney to Buy Muppets, Relaunch on TV

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. said on Tuesday it had agreed to buy the Muppets and "Bear in the Blue House" characters from Jim Henson Co. for undisclosed terms.

Disney, which has flirted for more than a decade with acquiring Kermit the Frog and friends, said it would relaunch the Muppets with new television specials and series.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
02-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Egads thats not good. Now with Disney onthe block, someone else might get the rights to them. This is one big mess.

JediTricks
02-17-2004, 10:23 PM
I don't get this at all, Henson's family ends up pulling the rug out from under Disney who was trying to buy the Henson company from its previous German owners by buying it themselves only a year or so ago, why would they now do this, especially right when Disney is under the threat of being taken over by Comcast, willingly merged with Warner Brothers, or shakily purchased by Pixar and private investors? Selling such beloved characters as the Muppets seems like a disasterous move, my inner child is weeping.

stillakid
02-17-2004, 11:25 PM
I don't get this at all, Henson's family ends up pulling the rug out from under Disney who was trying to buy the Henson company from its previous German owners by buying it themselves only a year or so ago, why would they now do this, especially right when Disney is under the threat of being taken over by Comcast, willingly merged with Warner Brothers, or shakily purchased by Pixar and private investors? Selling such beloved characters as the Muppets seems like a disasterous move, my inner child is weeping.

From the looks of things, it feels like Eisner is grasping at straws to keep himself afloat. He'll never let on, that ego and all, but losing Pixar was huge. That event is in the wake of that public feud with Roy. And now the possible hostile takeover doesn't bode well for Eisner's image in the eyes of the stockholders. He's still got his "yes-men" in the boardroom, but that will only go so far. Acquiring a "kid" centered property like Muppets will help shore up the leaks that are gushing from the Disney ship. It's still probably too little too late as I predict that SKG will make a bid for Pixar if for nothing else than to flip off Eisner. Then we'll see the sparks fly! :p

Banthaholic
02-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Back in the 90's Disney & Henson worked together, and I actually enjoyed The Muppets Christmas Story & Muppet's Treasure Island.
After that relatiosnship ended, Muppets from Space happened, and that one didn't do much for me.
Hopefully, creatively they can come up with some good stories for the muppets. I'm actually glad to see they mended their bridge. Before Jim died he was in the process of trying to 'secure' his work with Disney, and the last thing he made before his death was Muppetvision 3D for WDW.

JediTricks
02-18-2004, 01:45 AM
As a fan of The Muppet Movie, I felt that Muppets from Space was the only worthy successor in the franchise, capturing some of the original's heart and humor in a way that the previous, by-the-numbers sequels never did. Now, the franchise and its beloved characters have been dulled and whitewashed to the point where they're really sorta interchangable vague shells of their former characters - that stupid Pizza Hut ad they did for the Uber Bowl sure didn't help any - so it's odd that Disney would buy these characters since that's what they would have done to them anyway given enough time, thus rendering them virtually-unusable assets. But I'm sure Disnicorp will find a way to damage whatever good feeling is left for these beloved characters in no time at all, probably doing a few bad movies with crappy licensing and TV tie-ins thereby torpedoing Kermit & company for an entire generation.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want to think about it. The very notion of Disney buying the Muppets seems tragic and wasteful of Disney money and Jim Henson's creations.

I'm bristling at the idea of Dreamworks partnering up with Pixar, those 2 seem like oil and water to me for some reason, I guess because SKG's kiddie product always feels so bitter and dank while Pixar's usually seems alive and fresh.

darthvyn
02-18-2004, 03:38 PM
wow. just... wow...

this sucks. i love the muppets so much, and really dislike most of disney. ('cept maybe for pirates of the carribean... man, that movie... :Pirate: )

kermit hasn't sounded the same since henson died, anyway... the REAL muppets live on in the original movies, and more importantly in the muppet show.

bobafrett
02-18-2004, 10:55 PM
The thing I'm curious about is didn't Kermit get his start on Sesame Street? Or at least his rise to fame. So I'm wondering what Disney's responsibility is as far as the muppet characters on Sesame Street.

Banthaholic
02-18-2004, 11:08 PM
The thing I'm curious about is didn't Kermit get his start on Sesame Street? Or at least his rise to fame. So I'm wondering what Disney's responsibility is as far as the muppet characters on Sesame Street.
Good question. I read somewhere that Henson is keeping the rights to it's creature department, as well as those Fragle's.

Hopefully Disney will release Muppet Babies on DVD. I recall a good SW episode from that show.

On a side Muppet related note, has anyone seen the Muppet Show DVD w/ Mark Hammil. I got it the other day and all I can say is, actually I can't say much I'm ...speachless...

bobafrett
02-18-2004, 11:12 PM
On a side Muppet related note, has anyone seen the Muppet Show DVD w/ Mark Hammil. I got it the other day and all I can say is, actually I can't say much I'm ...speachless...

I haven't got that yet, but I'ver always been tempted as I used to watch the Muppet show with my family as a kid. I keep seeing the commercial, with a scene with Mark Hamill, and I have been looking around Best Buys and the like to see if I could just pick up that one in particular. I also wouldn't mind the one with John Denver..........."Rocky Mountain high......"

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Sesame Workshop owns the Sesame Street characters, so they're safe from Disney.

bobafrett
02-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Sesame Workshop owns the Sesame Street characters, so they're safe from Disney.

Even Kermit?

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2004, 09:56 AM
This is from the press release:

The transaction includes all Muppet assets, including the Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo and Animal characters, the Muppet film and television library, and all associated copyrights and trademarks, as well as all the "Bear in the Big Blue House" characters, television library, copyrights and trademarks. The parties have signed a binding purchase agreement and expect the transaction to close within two months, subject to receiving the necessary regulatory clearances. The transaction does not include the "Sesame Street" characters, such as Big Bird and Elmo, which are separately owned by Sesame Workshop. The deal also includes non-exclusive production and consulting agreements under which Henson will develop potential new programming featuring the "Muppets" and "Bear in the Big Blue House" for Disney.

That should answer your questions, bobafrett. Sorry for not clearing it up in my last post.

bobafrett
02-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks JBF, but I'm still a little confused. It has been awhile since I have watched Sesame Street, so maybe Kermit isn't on the show anymore. I also realize that I never see Big Bird, grover, cookie monster, Ocscar the grouch, and other Sesame Street characters in the muppet movies (I may be wrong, it's been awhile since I watched any of the muppet films). Anyway, my confusion lies in knowing that I used to see Kermit on Sesame Street, but he is also the main green guy in the Muppets. So if Disney now owns the muppet characters, does this mean that Kermit will no longer be on Sesame Street? Maybe Kermit doesn't do Sesame street anymore, I mean I haven't watched it since my son was around 3 to 4 years old, and he turns 13 in a little over a week. Sorry if I'm dragging this out, just want to make sure I get the facts straight.

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Honestly, I don't know if Kermit will still appear on Sesame Street when they film new scenes.

Lord Malakite
02-20-2004, 12:04 AM
I also realize that I never see Big Bird, grover, cookie monster, Ocscar the grouch, and other Sesame Street characters in the muppet movies (I may be wrong, it's been awhile since I watched any of the muppet films).
Didn't a few of them appear at the wedding between Piggy and Kermit in the one muppet movie.

Kidhuman
02-20-2004, 12:42 AM
I think they did LM. I remember seeing Big Bird in one of the movies

Banthaholic
02-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Yup, the wedding mentioned above is in Muppet's Take Manhattan. There are also Sesame Street appearances in A' Muppet Family Christmas', which by the way is an awesome flick.

Darth Jax
02-23-2004, 06:55 PM
didn't big bird make an appearance in the original muppet movie as well?

darthvyn
02-25-2004, 07:35 PM
well, just saw a commercial with kermit, piggy, animal and a fourth that i forget right now for the pizza hut "four-for-all" with jessica simpson. disney didn't waste any time in exploiting some of my most prized childhood memories to shill for a second-rate fast-food pizza franchise. meh...

James Boba Fettfield
02-25-2004, 07:58 PM
That commercial premiered during the Super Bowl, so I'm not sure if Disney can be blamed for that.

darthvyn
02-25-2004, 11:06 PM
well that sucks even more, cuz if that's what's happening NOW, just THINK about what will happen NEXT! guh...

EricRG
03-01-2004, 01:54 AM
The Muppets have already been seen promoting credit cards on TV, so for me, there's not very much respect left for the franchise these days. :cry:

I still love all Jim-associated Muppety magic and mayhem.

Jargo
03-04-2004, 02:06 PM
The Muppets have always supplemented their income with advertising jobs. I mean what's a resting Muppet supposed to do between gigs? At least with the house of mouse they'll get regular gigs. And they might even put out a decent movie. Can't live in the past. Gotta accept that times change. To ensure that the Muppets actually continue to be present in the public consciousness a deal with the devil was done. The price that has to be paid can be worried about later. Let's just appreciate that Muppet ventures are still gonna happen which is better than no muppet ventures at all. The Muppets are changing to reflect modern society but they'll always be a step out of time because it's old guy who work the muppets. They aint exactly hip to the hop daddio.......