PDA

View Full Version : OTC SA Vintage Recarded?

amidalak
02-17-2004, 09:26 PM
i wonder what the chances are that we will see the SA, soft goods "vintage" style figures recarded on normal OTC cards. it just seems a shame to me that the best figures (imo) hasbro has done in the modern line will be: a) a limited run, and b) only available at $10. there are many of us who are openers who think these figs are the epitome of what action figures should be, and i just don't see why we should have to face the risk of not finding these figures and have to pony up $10 bucks just for fancy packaging we will tear open anyway.

Lman316
02-17-2004, 10:14 PM
That's exactly how I feel about it. At this point, I was only hoping to get the new Obi-Wan (and maybe the Han). But, no, I don't think I'm going to pay $10 just because of the packaging... uh uh. Like said, that's ridiculous as I, too, intend to open my figures.

I was thinking that maybe Hasbro could release those figures later, on the regular card. But I just don't see that happening. Who would pay the $10 for them if they're going to come out again for $5?

Maybe I should just hold out for a new, regular Obi-Wan in the OTC collection.

End...

Silent Chazz
02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Paying $10 when Im an Opener, yes that is crazy. BUT, I only want two figures from this line: ROTJ Han (assuming he's Endor Trenchcoat Han) and ROTJ Boba Fett, so $20 isn't TOOO bad.

jjreason
02-17-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm looking at it this way: up here in Canada, 10 bucks works out to 13 right now with exchange. I've paid 13 bucks a pop for so many different figures over the years it's absurd: McFarlane Sports Picks (13 would be the LOWEST price we'd find up here), Lord of the Rings basic figures, Marvel Legends, the list goes on and on.

I'd be willing to trade ANY of my 13 dollar figures for any of the first four super art vintage packed figures. They look to be worth every penny to me.

JediTricks
02-18-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm probably going to end up getting a case of each wave because I think Hasbro's going to be stingey on these and I don't wanna miss out. It's weird because it's not like these figures are THAT nice, they're only as articulated as the $5 CW Clonetrooper which was clearanced right after its release at Target for $1.18, but Hasbro acts so weird about these things that I wouldn't be surprised if we never see 'em again.

Kidhuman
02-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Which figures are going to be SA and which ones arent? I dont want to shell out 10 bills either, and Iam not an opener. If the Clonetrooper could be done for 5, why not these? Granted SA means nothing when in a "plastic prison", but still, 10 bills is outta hand IMO.

plo koon 200
02-20-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't see these being repackaged anytime soon, maybe three years. Second, I think we are getting more with these figures than the SA Clonetrooper. The Clonetrooper onyl had a lot of articulation and a crummy accessory. We are getting soft goods with these new guys. For that alone that should make them cost $7. So $10 is not too bad when you add in the packaging. Don't forget that it is packaged twice. In the Vintage which should make it worth $8 and then a packaging similiar to that of the 300th Fett but with foil which I think makes it worth $10. And I know that 300th Fett was $10 and his packaging and sculpt do not live up to what we are getting now and it took them three years to repack it.

CrossWizard
02-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I agree, if people paid $10-$12 for a mini Fett statue on a box, paying $10 for a super articulated one in a vintage card with a protective clamshell shouldn't be a problem.

amidalak
02-20-2004, 08:50 PM
pk200, i'm not sure how you figure that just because these figs have soft goods that should make them more expensive, but that wasn't what i was really trying to get at. i'm an opener, and don't care if my figs come on vintage cards, new cards, heck, i don't care if they come in white boxes or wrapped in bacon (mmmm, bacon) so paying the extra money for great packaging isn't really worth it to me. and lets be honest, that's what we are paying for with the "vintage" otc figs, great packaging. limited run, limited selection of figs, special packaging, these things were designed with carded collectors in mind. i wouldn't have too much of a problem with that since i'm not a completist, except for the fact that in that great packaging is the perfect examples of what i think the star wars line should have been since it was restarted. i know it's not likely to happen, but these figs really need to be released on the normal otc packaging at the lower price. let the carded folks have their fancy protective cards at the higher price, give us openers what many of us have been begging for since '95, SA and soft goods figures, at the regular price on the regular card.

JediTricks
02-21-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm with Amidalak on this one, what's the point of offering great figures if the cost is jacked up to keep them in their plastic prisons? If the product is supposed to stay MOMC, might as well have put classic Vintage figures in there instead and put these awesome new figures in the regular basic line packaging. And Soft Goods ain't that expensive, we have lots of figures who have it in the basic lines already and they didn't cost more. Hasbro's even suggested that the packaging is the heaviest cost issue in the line.

(BTW, if you're reading this Hasbro, please re-release these new Vintage figures without soft goods on regular packaging for $5 a piece without limiting their release numbers and get a massive boost in collector morale :D)

Kidhuman
02-21-2004, 08:48 AM
I am with you guys as well. I dont care about the card back. I would just want the packaging normal, regular amount produced, and SA. 10 beans is a little steep. I canty even begin to imagine what the price on Ebay is gonna be when the employteees get there hands on these before they make the pegs.

Sidiously Darth
02-21-2004, 01:07 PM
If Hasbro wants to charge $10 each, then the figure needs to be removable from the package without damaging the package. This way the carded people are happy and us openers can sell the empty packages or to others who want more packaging.

Reefer Shark
02-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Nice idea Sidiously Darth, :cool:
They could do 'em like those DC figures that came out last year. Use the removabe clamshell with the cardback in the package behind the figure. They could simulate the vintage bubble with the clamshell so you don't have to tear the cardback up to open them. I would love it if they did that!

At this point though, I'm with JT.... I think I'll be buying these waves by the case. I want one set sealed, and then I'll pick out the ones I want to open. Then trade or sell the rest.

I don't usually keep sealed figures (a very small percentage of my collection is still on card), but this packaging looks so cool I'm not gonna resist (much like the animated figures, I have a sealed and open set of those too :crazed: ).

plo koon 200
02-22-2004, 11:29 AM
pk200, i'm not sure how you figure that just because these figs have soft goods that should make them more expensive, but that wasn't what i was really trying to get at. i'm an opener, and don't care if my figs come on vintage cards, new cards, heck, i don't care if they come in white boxes or wrapped in bacon (mmmm, bacon) so paying the extra money for great packaging isn't really worth it to me. and lets be honest, that's what we are paying for with the "vintage" otc figs, great packaging. limited run, limited selection of figs, special packaging, these things were designed with carded collectors in mind. i wouldn't have too much of a problem with that since i'm not a completist, except for the fact that in that great packaging is the perfect examples of what i think the star wars line should have been since it was restarted. i know it's not likely to happen, but these figs really need to be released on the normal otc packaging at the lower price. let the carded folks have their fancy protective cards at the higher price, give us openers what many of us have been begging for since '95, SA and soft goods figures, at the regular price on the regular card.
I got the $10 price because the SA Clonetrooper has a real cheap accessory and nothing else. I'm sayng because of the level of articulation that the soft goods really are an add on. And I think Hasbro was actually, somewhat, trying to satisfy both worlds of openers and carded collectors by giving good packaging while at the same time great articulation. Unfortunately Hasbro is being dumb and making them a limited run, which you can argue will mean less of these figures will be found loose.

amidalak
02-22-2004, 11:50 AM
i still don't really follow that, but we can agree on one thing, hasbro is being dumb! :D

Kidhuman
02-22-2004, 12:30 PM
i still don't really follow that, but we can agree on one thing, hasbro is being dumb! :D

Ithink we can allagree on that when it comes to this line

plasticfetish
02-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Just kind of responding to the air here, but...

I'm assuming that with this set of figures, the $10 price tag has mostly to do with the limited nature of their release. As well, I can see Hasbro thinking that $10 might scare off some of the more casual scalpers. Not to mention the most obvious fact, that we'll pay $10 for something "special" like this.

I'd really dig it, if they put out both carded versions, and maybe a box set with all 12 figures for openers to open. Carded = $10 and box set = more reduced $75 ($6ish a figure.) The box set could even come with a special bonus figure. It would be nice also, if there was some kind of fan club :rolleyes: where you could buy them bagged for $5 each.

mosnab
02-23-2004, 03:26 PM
I really hope that these "super articulated" vintage OTC figures get recarded on the regular OTC line. I am pretty much an opener 100 percent of the time, but this is one set I wouldn't mind having a set of each (carded and loose). However, like many of the rest of you, I don't want to spend up to $240 to have two versions of 12 figures. Plus, if they are finally making the main characters the way many of us have hoped they would, why would they make them so limited to get? Hopefully that isn't the case. I do really like the idea of the "12 pack" if they don't recard them individually. I know I would buy one at least, and that is only seeing the Obi, Luke, and Han. If the rest are anywhere similar though, they should be pretty great.