PDA

View Full Version : Sandcrawler Info Thread (MERGED)

billfett
02-18-2004, 06:12 AM
The UK site The Private Universe:
http://books.dreambook.com/tpu/probenews.html

has pix of a new jawa sandcrawler and at least one UK dealer is now listing it as a future properly...

Anyone got any more detail? Did I miss anything on this at Sir Steve's? I don't buy vehicles much but this is a must have!

sicqnus
02-18-2004, 08:04 AM
TPU says it's a scoop...
It is not.
This picture have surfaced on several websites one year ago.
This could be a prototype (repaint - rehash...).
The RA-7 droid is the POTF2 death star droid with a new paint.

The Sandcrawler should be out as a Target exclusive this fall.

Kidhuman
02-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Ugh, it better not be an exclusive. I hate hunting them down. And as an exclusive, it gets shipped in liited quantities on top of that. They should release it to everyone that wants to carry them.

droidekas2
02-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Just release it already!!

We keep getting rehashes of the x-wing, tie fighter, etc.
Why not this one?? It hasnt seen the light of day for years and people want it. Release it.

skeeziks22
02-18-2004, 12:31 PM
If retailers have exclusives they should at least offer them on their web sites. I would think this would allow them to sell a ton more than if they carried them only in their stores. I'd pay shipping for the sandcrawler... besides I have no targets in my area (Alaska).

The Private Universe
02-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Actually if you re read it I don't say the pic is an exclusive, I had it at the same time as GH did when it was out first... What is a scoop is that I have a release date, UK price and that it is available to pre order now in the UK... TPU reported it before anyone else so it is a scoop...

The pic is used for illustration reasons, nothing new about it other than it is being sent out by HASBRO currently to illustrate the sandcrawler to it's distributors etc etc...

TPU has beaten ALL the major US sites to major news over the last 4 plus years, and sometimes by over 6 months... we just don't get the credit for it because a certain major site takes our news and claims it to be theirs, long story, not going into it again... but I am not refering to SSG as this is a decent site with principles.

Pete

Reefer Shark
02-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Feh..... Nice paint job on this thing, but that's about it. This thing is sooooo out of scale it's just silly, much like the Falcon. The only reason I would buy it would be for the pack-in figures (if they're decent).

Now if they re-did the sandcrawler at least closer to the proper scale, I would be all exited about it. But this re-hash is so small it could very well go in the dead action fleet line.

Just my opinion :)

Turbowars
02-18-2004, 10:15 PM
This is a poor excuse of a ship. I can't believe that so many are hot to get this underscale wonder. It just looks so stupid. Anyways, the pack-ins might be cool. I hope Hasbro packs them well, because if they aren't, there will be many Crawlers on the shelves without them.:ermm:

jjreason
02-18-2004, 11:55 PM
I had the vintage one as a kid, with the remote and all. It had decent value when paired with the cardboard and plastic tatooine Sandcrawler playset, where the lever made the figures fall down, the elevator worked on the cardboard crawler, etc. The toy is too small, which is too bad. They need to create it so that a couple of Jawas could fit into the cockpit, and a few more droids could get into the hold.

I will give them credit for the sculpting though, it had a lot of texture to it, much like the Falcon did. If they rerelease it, I'll be there - but only if it comes with figures.

Banthaholic
02-19-2004, 02:13 AM
This is a poor excuse of a ship. I can't believe that so many are hot to get this underscale wonder. It just looks so stupid. Anyways, the pack-ins might be cool. I hope Hasbro packs them well, because if they aren't, there will be many Crawlers on the shelves without them.:ermm:
I never had the vintage one, my cousin did, and I was always jealous of it. About now, I could care less on scale. I just want one of these. The vintage are a bit out of my desired price range, plus a could droid pack-ins might be a nice touch.

bobafrett
02-19-2004, 10:23 AM
I never got a sandcrawler either, so this might be on my list of vehicles to get. I mean I do have some loose jawas to pilot the craft, regardless of its scale size.

skeeziks22
02-19-2004, 12:03 PM
I don't mind the scale... though fitting some jawas into the cockpit would be a nice touch. What I do mind are re-hashed vehicles from old vintage sculpts. Hasbro has been good about this lately... new X-Wing, TIE bomber, Vader TIE Fighter and now a new Falcon (at least partially... OK maybe just the cockpit), but look at all the new ships from EI and II (this proves they can make new ships)... to turn around and put out one of the most desired pieces as a simple re-hash sucks (sucks like the y-wing and skiff re-hashes suck).
And you can be pretty much guaranteed that this will not be remote controlled likely having less features than the original. Pack-ins will make or break this item I'm afraid. No new jawas unless they have clothe capes... give me some new droids...

-rolling dome thing
-droid with all the crazy arms
-how 'bout the "drunk" white droid with the silly expression on his face that you see inside when we first see 3PO and R2 waking up.

Someone has names for these guys...

jedihunter25
02-20-2004, 01:27 AM
The pic at the beginning of this forum is about 1 1/2- 2years old and I think it's just a prototype (or maybe someone doing a paint job on a vintage one) . About 6 or so months ago there was news on Hasbro re-tooling it here in the forums and on Galactic Hunter. I'll try looking it up.

jedihunter25
02-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Here's the old forum where there was talk of retooling it-http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20157&highlight=sandcrawler

Over at Galactic Hunter they have a poll on what you wanted them to ask Hasbro about at Toyfair and the Sandcrawler won. Unfortunately, they haven't gotten any news yet- but they are working on it.

sicqnus
02-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Got it in the mail today from ToyPalace (and Hasbro DE) :

PS (E): The best at the end: Sandcrawler with Droid and Jawa is confirmed by Hasbro today ! Expected Shipping date is Autumn 04. Price will follow next week !

PS(D): Und das beste am Ende: Der Sandcrawler mit Droid und Jawa sind von Hasbro definitiv bestätigt worden. Liefertermin: Herbst 04. Preis folgt nächste Woche. Helau !

Liedeweg 65, Kuenzell, Germany 36093
Web Site:
http://www.toy-palace.com

At last.
Thanks Hasb'. Just in time for the DVD release.

Sicqnus.

bobafrett
02-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Got it in the mail today from ToyPalace (and Hasbro DE) :

At last.
Thanks Hasb'. Just in time for the DVD release.

Sicqnus.

I just got that same e-mail from the ToyPalace. I went to check the Hasbro website, and found nothing at this time, maybe later on today it will be posted there. This is good news!

Banthaholic
02-20-2004, 01:51 PM
This is good news!
No, this is great news! :crazed:

Gonk 1979
02-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Got an email fromwww.ToyPalace.com today. Apparently Hasbro sent them a confirmation email that the Sandcrawler has a store exclusive distributor and will ship in Autumn 2004. You can also hear it at www.Rebelscum.com.

Details to come!

Kidhuman
02-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Well its about time. Ijust hope its a store near me that is getting it.

Silent Chazz
02-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Yes, it is about time. However, I find it rediculous about everything being a Store exclusive nowadays. Thanks to the only store in my area being a stupid Wal Mart, Im screwed once again. Thanks a lot Hasblow!

Beast
02-20-2004, 03:23 PM
It's either a store exclusive, or not be made at all. Stores don't want to carry large and expensive vehicles and playsets anymore. Because they take up too much shelf space, and don't move well enough to sacrifice the space for them. Making them exclusive allows them to be an incentive to a particular store to carry Hasbro's Star Wars merchandise. As well as get traffic in the stores to buy other merchandise. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-20-2004, 07:41 PM
"Uttinnnnnniiiiii!" I am beyond stoked. I can't wait.

This will be amazing.

How much do you wanna bet it's going to be in cool, back-in-black, retro vintage packing? My "dream" toy in my "dream" packaging.

What more could I possibly want?

PS --- Why on earth is anybody complaining it's an exclusive? As long as it's NOT Walmart, you'll be able to internet order it.

Silent Chazz
02-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Mainly because ordering off the net is next to impossible for me right now (stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill waiting either on my credit card to get here or a stupid turn down letter). Also, it takes me a long time to get a trip into Amarillo, TX sometimes, where I WOULD be able to get something like this. This happened recently as I went and thanks to my not going in such a long time, all I could find Clone Wars wise was Anakin's Jedi Starfighter at the TRU and some of the Wave 1 Animated figs at Target. Meh, oh well.

Dar' Argol
02-21-2004, 06:03 PM
I merged the 2 Sandcrawler threads together see that they are talking aobut thesame thing.

Kidhuman
02-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Chazz, open upa checking account and get a debit card. It works the same way. You can order just like a Credit Card.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-22-2004, 12:41 PM
This better pan out this time! I'd be okay with a reissue of the vintage one with better paint, I mean I don't have a lot of space left. :p

I was just looking at the Action Figure Archive. Was the only sandcrawler the remote-control one (the cardboard Land of the Jawas version not counting)? If the RC function was still left in, that'd be great, but that might increase the price a bit.

Turbowars
02-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Well if Hasbro removed all the electronics from other ships, I highly doubt they would leave them in the Crawler. It better come with 2 or 3 pack-ins.

Turbowars
02-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Don't know how reliable this is but here'a size of the crawler box and price.

"wholesale toy distributer" in the UK

"box size is 30 by 18 by 14 cm"
"£26.99 + vat(shipping)" = aprox. $52 US +(shipping)

Kidhuman
02-25-2004, 05:50 PM
So we can expect this thing to be around 30-40 bucks at stores then?

Turbowars
02-25-2004, 06:11 PM
So we can expect this thing to be around 30-40 bucks at stores then?Who knows, but I think it will be more like 49.99

skeeziks22
02-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Well if Hasbro removed all the electronics from other ships, I highly doubt they would leave them in the Crawler. It better come with 2 or 3 pack-ins.

As long as they make use of the space I won't mind. I wasn't a big fan of the added "holographic" Darth Vader in the AT-AT. Hopefully they use the space for better uses and add some new features. A few NEW exclusive figures would be nice as well. Something more than another R unit droid.

Turbowars
02-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Jawa Sandcrawler Pre-Order Special

The Sandcrawler has been officially announced by Hasbro and we were able to order our quantities. The release date is Autumn 2004 (perhaps even a bit earlier).

The Sandcrawler will be released in the new black Trilogy packaging and is expected to be in our warehouse in autumn 2004. Two exclusive figures will also be shipped along with the Sandcrawler - 1 x Droid and 1 x Jawa. The picture on our website is NOT the final product. We will post the correct product photo as soon as it is available.

OUR PRICE: EUR 59,90
http://www.toy-palace.com (http://www.toy-palace.com/)

skeeziks22
02-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Sounds good to me. Hope something is unique about the jawa... a clothe cape maybe? I assume no pics of the figures have popped up so far?

Turbowars
02-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Sounds good to me. Hope something is unique about the jawa... a clothe cape maybe? I assume no pics of the figures have popped up so far?Yeah, they said they had nothing new to show, just the one that has been floating around for sometime now. I think both figures will be rehashes. They will just use the Death star Droid with a goldish finish and hopefully they will use a Commtech Jawa, but I can see them using the Jawa from the Beast packs.

Kidhuman
02-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Maybe they will give us the big jawa. One can always hope.

skeeziks22
02-27-2004, 02:09 PM
After reading the Q&A on the front page here I agree that these will be re-hashed figures. Doesn't sound like they are working on much more than EII, plus the 12 "vintage" figures... though those 12 are probably done, just waiting to show them to us. I'm guessing we've seen everything else for '04 already.

BoShek
02-28-2004, 09:40 PM
I'll never forget being a small kid and seeing the HUGE remote controlled Sandcrawler in Sears as a kid. Too bad it cost too much back then, I might have one now.

mark2d2
02-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Man, a new Jawa would so be icing on the cake.

New cloth cape = watch Mark2D2 Drool!

But a rehash will do, I suppose -- as I'm desperate!
Hopefully, "Sandie" will ship with the Commtech (ofcourse!)
Although the beast pack is the one Jawa I don't have. . .

Still kinda' wondering whatever happened to the 3rd figure.
I thought that that had been "confirmed" in a Hasbro Q & A.
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I don't believe so.

Or maybe the third figure was nixed by the retailer.

At any rate ---- we will soon know.

PS --- Gosh darn it, I sure wish they'd do a new Jawa two pack!
Or even just reissue the commtech. Hmmmm, ebay here I come.

arctangent
03-01-2004, 05:40 AM
i have had an email from www.r2dtoys.com who also have the sandcrawler available for pre-order at £34.00, rising to £39.00 if you don't pre-order. delivery is 'soon' apparently.

arctangent
03-01-2004, 09:56 AM
i have just received the latest newsletter from r2dtoys and their 'soon' has now changed to 'sometime in the autumn' for release for the sandcrawler. bit of a long time to wait.

Kidhuman
03-01-2004, 10:31 AM
It will most likely coincide with the OTC line. Thats why the long wait.

Silent Chazz
03-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Look at it this way. We're FINALLY getting the Sandcrawler after all these years. Who cares if we have to wait till Fall, we're still geting it finally. lol