PDA

View Full Version : Hall Of Fame? Otc? Wtf?

JEDIpartner
02-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Okay... so I see there is going to be a "hall of fame" series where quite a number of these figures are going to also end up in the OTC. What is the point of that?? Am I just reading this information incorrectly or what?

mm74md
02-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I believe you are right. Along with some rehashes of POTJ. I've already made up my mind that I will only be purchasing the Modern Vintage OTC line.

arctangent
02-18-2004, 11:29 AM
its dear old hasbro yet again trying to screw more money out of us by trying to sell us stuff that we already have!

sith_killer_99
02-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Let's see:

Han Solo CommTech
Han Solo Flight to Alderan
Han Solo Hall of Fame
Han Solo OTC

All the same figure!

That dosen't count the bubble and insert variations. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
02-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Is it going ot be the SA line on the SAga cards? I agree that rehashing the same old figures year after year is getting out of hand, but if it is the SA line on Saga cards, then it is different.

JEDIpartner
02-18-2004, 03:39 PM
It really is sad.

angellus
02-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Look at it this way, we probably won't be able to find them in the stores anyway!

Hellboy
02-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I agree its pretty sad but as long as there are people who insist on having all the card variations there will always be a marketplace for re-packs. I just refuse to play that game and encourage people to do the same by resisting the urge to be a completist. This is just one more reason why my loose collection is more enjoyable to me than my carded.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-18-2004, 07:02 PM
To Kidhuman: No, no, no. The super articulated line is the line on the cards that look exactly like the vintage ones. They are 10 bucks a pop, only on the vintage card. There aren't any plans to rerelease them on any other card.

The Hall of Fame series is figures that have been released before, now with those clear bases, on the Saga gold-stripe card. There are figures from TPM (just Maul), AOTC (HD Anakin, CC Obi-Wan, first AOTC Yoda), and the OT (several main characters). They should be coming out very soon.

There are also more rereleases on the gold-stripe card that don't really qualify as the HOF series (Han brown coat, SC Anakin, ROTJ Boba, Barriss, Aayla, etc) and they are out now.

The OTC has 21 figures - 7 new (Dagobah and Bespin) and more rereleases. Several of the rereleases in the OTC are also in the HOF, but there are some "new rereleases" (like X-wing Luke, Jedi Luke, Wicket [wihtout Logray?!?!?!], and the TIE pilot) as well. The OTC figures are on cards that kind of look like the vintage ones, but not exactly - Han was on one on the Hasbro page and at Toy Fair. These come out in the fall.

Hope I cleared it up . . . maybe?

Anyway . . . the last time they had rereleases, none of them pegwarmed in my area at all. They were here and gone within a month or two of their initial release. This gives new collectors some cool stuff to get, and veterans that have been in the game for a while get a chance to breathe and pay off the stuff we've already bought. :D

Silent Chazz
02-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Ok I have a couple of things to say here. Back in Vintage days Kenner rehashed figures all the time. We got like ANH 1977 figures on ROTJ 1983 cards. Also, I'm actually glad we're getting POTJ Pilot Luke rehashed because I could NEVER find him in stores in my Area, PLUS Hasbro's probably rehashing him to go with the Rehashed X-wing.

Kidhuman
02-18-2004, 10:24 PM
To Kidhuman: No, no, no. The super articulated line is the line on the cards that look exactly like the vintage ones. They are 10 bucks a pop, only on the vintage card. There aren't any plans to rerelease them on any other card.

The Hall of Fame series is figures that have been released before, now with those clear bases, on the Saga gold-stripe card. There are figures from TPM (just Maul), AOTC (HD Anakin, CC Obi-Wan, first AOTC Yoda), and the OT (several main characters). They should be coming out very soon.

There are also more rereleases on the gold-stripe card that don't really qualify as the HOF series (Han brown coat, SC Anakin, ROTJ Boba, Barriss, Aayla, etc) and they are out now.

The OTC has 21 figures - 7 new (Dagobah and Bespin) and more rereleases. Several of the rereleases in the OTC are also in the HOF, but there are some "new rereleases" (like X-wing Luke, Jedi Luke, Wicket [wihtout Logray?!?!?!], and the TIE pilot) as well. The OTC figures are on cards that kind of look like the vintage ones, but not exactly - Han was on one on the Hasbro page and at Toy Fair. These come out in the fall.

Hope I cleared it up . . . maybe?

Anyway . . . the last time they had rereleases, none of them pegwarmed in my area at all. They were here and gone within a month or two of their initial release. This gives new collectors some cool stuff to get, and veterans that have been in the game for a while get a chance to breathe and pay off the stuff we've already bought. :D

Okay. The card han is on, looks mostly like the vintage cards. I am just as confused as ever if not more(if at all possible) If some one could please list who comes out on what and when and for how much. Man, it is confusing the crap outta me. Just release every figure for 5 bucks and call it a day. Make em all SA and call it a day. Isn't that much easier???????????

jjreason
02-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Okay, I'll give it a whirl. This fall there will be two separate lines of figures. The first will continue on with the Saga style figures, at the Saga style price point. The cards will be Original Trilogy Collection cards, with screen shots from the OT on black starry backgrounds. Examples are available in the pics section from TF 2004 (see the repacked Commtech Han? That's the OTC card).

The "vintage nouveau" figures will be on cards that look exactly like the original cards the figures were released upon back in 77-85..... from the front. The only difference will be the figure in the bubble. They even say "Kenner" on them, apparently. On the back of these cards is a write up of the character and a picture of the original vintage figure. The entire card, bubble and figure combo will all be encased in plastic (a la McFarlane figures) straight from the factory. Us openers will have to cut off the clam shell, then peel the bubble off the card to free the treasure therein. :)

There have been 21 OTC announced so far, more may follow. They can be seen on the backs of the vehicle boxes (again, see pics in the TF 2004 section).

There will only be, apparently, 12 of the "VN" figures produced, ever. Also, they will be shipped in much more limited numbers. These are the higher-end, collector's grade, adult oriented (insert stupid collectible cliche here) versions of the core characters from the OT, and will sell at the higher price point. The super articulated Han, Leia, Obi Wan and Luke Tatooine are all visible in the pics section. Luke and Obi Wan have softgoods robes/tunics. The likenesses on these 4 figures far surpass anything we've seen so far (in my opinion) and will be the focus of my collecting energy this fall.

So I guess that's a total of 33 figures between the two collections before the end of the year. Of these 33, some 14 will be repacks as JabbaJohnL stated above, from lines ranging from POTF2 all the way up to really-new Saga (TIE Pilot).

I'm glad the OTC line will contain tons of repacks, I don't buy repacks. I'm planning spending the "money I'll save!" on getting 2 sets of VN figures so I can keep one carded. The vintage look cards almost make me teary eyed.

amidalak
02-18-2004, 11:49 PM
1. HOF-Saga gold striped cards, re-released figs. $4.99

2. OTC-new cards that are similar (not exactly the same, though) to vintage style cards, new and re-released figs. the han card you looked at has a pic similar to the vintage cards, but the pic and the bubble (as well as other things) are different to the vintage cards. $4.99

3. OTC "Vintage"-cards are exact replicas of the vintage cards, including the bubble. all new, resculpted, super-articulated, soft goods accessorized figs, 4 for each movie. $10.00

hope this clears it up for you, kh!

Kidhuman
02-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Yes it does. It makes it somewhat easier to understand. Thanks JJ and Amidalak

arctangent
02-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Ok I have a couple of things to say here. Back in Vintage days Kenner rehashed figures all the time. We got like ANH 1977 figures on ROTJ 1983 cards. Also, I'm actually glad we're getting POTJ Pilot Luke rehashed because I could NEVER find him in stores in my Area, PLUS Hasbro's probably rehashing him to go with the Rehashed X-wing.

you have to remember that this was the dawn of film related toys. in 1977 i was eleven, loved star wars and spent all my pocket money on the action figures (as i recall the very first ones i got were the tusken raider, ben 'obi-wan' kenobi r2-d2 and c3p0, what wonderful memories :classic: ). when tesb came out, the original star wars packed figures were gone. there were lots of kids who were too young when star wars came out but wanted to collect the figures when tesb came out, so the older figures were re-released along with the newer ones. same for rotj. remember back in those days these were toys bought mainly by kids, not by adult collectors.

that is very different to now when hasbro release a figure on a certain card and then, within a short space of time are re-releasing that figure on a different card with a different name ie, the commtech chip han solo and the flight to alderaan han solo. by changing the name they are trying to sell it as a new product when it isn't as far as i am concerned.

i am just glad my collection is loose and not carded, so i don't feel the need to by all these re-releases. i guess it is good for those that didn't get them the first time round though.

Kidhuman
02-19-2004, 09:33 AM
you have to remember that this was the dawn of film related toys. in 1977 i was eleven, loved star wars and spent all my pocket money on the action figures (as i recall the very first ones i got were the tusken raider, ben 'obi-wan' kenobi r2-d2 and c3p0, what wonderful memories :classic: ). when tesb came out, the original star wars packed figures were gone. there were lots of kids who were too young when star wars came out but wanted to collect the figures when tesb came out, so the older figures were re-released along with the newer ones. same for rotj. remember back in those days these were toys bought mainly by kids, not by adult collectors.

that is very different to now when hasbro release a figure on a certain card and then, within a short space of time are re-releasing that figure on a different card with a different name ie, the commtech chip han solo and the flight to alderaan han solo. by changing the name they are trying to sell it as a new product when it isn't as far as i am concerned.

i am just glad my collection is loose and not carded, so i don't feel the need to by all these re-releases. i guess it is good for those that didn't get them the first time round though.

I am gonna have to agree with you. Kenner kept putting them out for those reasons. Another reason is that they actually got played with. I must of went through 4 Obi-Wans, 6 Luke Tatooines, 9 Vaders, etc. There were only 77 figures for the most part as well, and 95 total I believe.

Now I have close to 300 carded figures from 95 til present. I dont buy all these rehashes and such. I have a couple of em and that is about it. As far as the new OTC line goes, some of these figures are cool. I like the card backs. I know Han is the CT version, but I happen to like the card. I have preordered a case of these and Han happens to be in it. I mostly got the case because it has the Dagobah wave in it. A few of these re-releases are nice, but it is mostly for the card back that I will get some of them.

AS far as the SA line goes, what ever I find from them is the ones I will get. I know havingto resort to Ebay is gonna be a pain and prices will be outrageous.

InsaneJediGirl
02-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I wouldnt mind the Hall of Fame so much if they didnt release figures that just came out a year ago.Take the CTC Stormie,that needed a re-release and thanks to HOF we'll get him again(if I can find one that is;)).Things like Han CTC and that same monkey faced Leia are just wrong though.What really needs a HOF release is the second CW Wave.Where is that Hasbro?:crazed:

arctangent
02-19-2004, 10:11 AM
I am gonna have to agree with you. Kenner kept putting them out for those reasons. Another reason is that they actually got played with. I must of went through 4 Obi-Wans, 6 Luke Tatooines, 9 Vaders, etc. There were only 77 figures for the most part as well, and 95 total I believe.

quite right too kh! this was in the days before this sort of thing became collectable. no one cared about the packaging - as a kid the first thing you did when you got them home was rip them out of the packaging so you could play with them - which is why so few of the original toys survive in their packaging. if you needed an new obi-wan you didn't come out of the toy shop saying 'ooh, its on rotj packaging, not tesb. that'll be worth a fortune one day'.

Now I have close to 300 carded figures from 95 til present. I dont buy all these rehashes and such. I have a couple of em and that is about it. As far as the new OTC line goes, some of these figures are cool. I like the card backs. I know Han is the CT version, but I happen to like the card. I have preordered a case of these and Han happens to be in it. I mostly got the case because it has the Dagobah wave in it. A few of these re-releases are nice, but it is mostly for the card back that I will get some of them.

not many people bought those toys to keep in their packaging, unlike today when it seems the bulk of collectors like to keep their figures carded. hasbro know this and are taking advantage of that fact, although if you like a re-released figure in its new packaging then there is no problem with that.

i guess i look at it from the point of view of someone who takes their figures out of their packaging to display on my shelves, so what the packaging looks like means very little to me really.

Silent Chazz
02-19-2004, 01:59 PM
I wouldnt mind the Hall of Fame so much if they didnt release figures that just came out a year ago.Take the CTC Stormie,that needed a re-release and thanks to HOF we'll get him again(if I can find one that is;)).Things like Han CTC and that same monkey faced Leia are just wrong though.What really needs a HOF release is the second CW Wave.Where is that Hasbro?:crazed:

What REALLY Needs to happen is Hasbro needs to make ALL THREE Waves of Clone Wars in HOF and when shipping them, demand that all WalMarts out in the middle of nowhere all over the Country take these cases. lol

JediTricks
02-20-2004, 12:11 AM
HOF is already out, I saw 'em at Kmart. It's weird how so many of these will be rehashed yet again in the OTC line. I don't understand how Hangar Duel Anakin is a "HOF" figure but not the Gamorrean guard who I know for a fact kids want figures of. Seems like Hasbro isn't using this OTC line to its best effect, they should have more cool, quality, secondary-character-yet-still-iconic figs like 2-1B, Bib Fortuna, and the Gam Guard should be there for the kids just getting into this stuff who want figures for their OTC core characters to play with.

Kidhuman
02-20-2004, 12:17 AM
I agree JT. Rehashing the sameold figures yearafter yearis boring. It was a good sculpt the first time around and maybe merited rehashing 4-5 years down the line, but three times in three years is absurd. Give us the iconic figs mentioned above.

JEDIpartner
02-20-2004, 10:01 AM
The problem...

HOF figures will also be recarded as OTC figures in some cases. I can't understand why they didn't just wait and put them out on just OTC cards. THAT'S the problem I'm having. We get POTJ Cantina Han carded as "Flight to Alderaan" last year on a SAGA card and again on the HOF card and again on the OTC card. This figure has been reissued 3 times in the past year!!!!

amidalak
02-20-2004, 11:37 AM
not that i'm crazy about all the rehashes either, but the easy way to understand it is main characters sell. the kids buy them, the casual collectors buy them, people who are buying gifts for others buy them, the darn things just flat out sell and don't warm pegs. those of us who are more serious collectors get irritated by this, i think, because of the perception that we are not getting something new because of the rehashes. i don't really think that is the case, in fact, i think we get new figs in large part due to the fact that hasbro is still able to make money on the main characters. add to that the fact they are no longer trying to redesign the main characters and using existing molds/plans, this saves them money and time, allowing them to give us figs that are more obscure and that will not sell as well to less serious shoppers, but that we beg for. the rehashes, i think, are also an attempt to bring in younger, first time buyers who are just becoming familiar with SW. this is good imo, because i think that if we don't get some young blood in this hobby, much sooner after ep.3 than we like we may see our beloved toy line disappear. so, rehashes are kind of a necessary evil, even though they suck for completists.

Kidhuman
02-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Plus while hasbro isnt making new molds and all, they are able to keep costs down on figures. Selling them is basically allprofit to them. They dont need new molds and such. Rehashes are good every so often, but it is kinda getting out of hand with the Han character. Rehash a different one already.

Springer
02-20-2004, 12:19 PM
I agree. See thats my main problem not that they are releasing old figs but that they are using the same one over and over, at the very least wait a few ears That Leia and Han need to both be put to rest at this point. Reissue Bespin Capture Han or Leia with hood there are any number of figs that they can use that wouldn't be quite as annoying to us, but still get the same results to Hasbro.

amidalak
02-20-2004, 01:42 PM
no disagreement about that, the potj bespin han is my favorite han solo fig ever!

JediTricks
02-21-2004, 03:41 AM
I think justice can be done to older figures if they're rereleased in new cases every 9 months if demand appears to warrant it, and every 15 months if demand's a little lighter. POTF2 CTC Cantina Han is a very nice figure and until they put out a better Han from ANH, I don't mind seeing it available to kids and new collectors (and they DO sell in my area), but this will be the 3rd recard of this figure in 12 months (Saga, HOF, OTC) on a figure that was glutting shelves only 3 years ago (due to that Stormtrooper/Holo R2 snafu), that seems excessive when there's still no POTJ Bespin Han re-releases or Ugnauts or Ree-Yees for quick example.

Oh, and as confusing as it is to see CTC Han in the HOF line out just before the same figure in the OTC line, I'm more confused by Hasbro calling the other new line "Vintage" - these aren't vintage-style sculpts or materials, couldn't a more reasonable name have been chosen? :confused:

jjreason
02-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I hear that. They totally should have gone with "Flashback" - that would have rocked. :crazed: