PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Performances of the OT

Turambar
02-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Let's discuss how we feel about the best & worst acting jobs in the OT. Here's mine:

the BEST:
1. Alec Guiness. Even though he hated the role, he really did seem to give it his all. In fact, his performance as Obi-Wan is the only reason we care about his character in the PT since Ewan hasn't been able to develop the character all that much.
2. Peter Cushing. I really love his performance. Tarkin is pure evil. Great job!
3. Harrison Ford in ESB. I also liked his performance in ANH, but feel he really hit his peak here in ESB. With the development of the heartless mercenary to someone who is starting to trust and care about people, and to fall in love with a girl, it is a very interesting progression to watch, and Harry pulled it off perfectly.
4. Billy Dee Williams. I really like this one because Lando is introduced to us late in the Saga. Yet, he is able to give us enough feel for his character to really get to know and understand what Lando's all about. So by the time ROTJ rolls around, Lando is near & dear to us.
5. Mark Hammil. I'm sure a lot of y'all will disagree with this one. I've heard all the flack about Hammil overacting and underacting at times, but I really think he was solid in every movie. Every thing about his performance as a naive wide-eyed kid maturing into a man is very believable. I guess the main argument for his good performance is the gazillions of SW fans that were able to relate to Luke and grow with him through his journey.

and now, the WORST:
1. this is easy: "Two fighters against a stardestroyer." (hoth trooper) The line was not even delivered as a question. They could have pulled anyone off of the street and in two minutes had them delivering this line with more authenticity than this poor sap. Who knows, maybe he went to the same acting school as Natalie Portman.
2. how about, "copy. . . gold leader." (a-wing pilot) A single, three-word line, and this dude is barely able to spit it out. He seems to freeze up after the first word even though the cue card is right in front of him. Maybe he couldn't read, or forgot his contacts, but that line adds some comic relief to the death star attack.
3. Harrison Ford in ROTJ. The eye rolling, and wrinkling of the brow really gets old after a while. Again, I think the director in ROTJ did a poor job, simply relying on the actors to go through the motions for their parts. But his performance on endor really adds multitudes to the cheesiness of the movie.
4. This really isn't a knock at her performance, because I though Carrie Fisher did a great job throughout the trilogy. However, I always find it odd how she loses the British accent once Han & Luke rescue her from the detention center.
5. "She'll die before she tells you anything" (imp officer). You can definitely tell that this is a low-budget film when you see the quality of the minor actors they get.

El Chuxter
02-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Gotta disagree with you regarding Carrie's accent. She uses the Coruscant (English) accent when dealing with Imperials because it sounds more authoritative because it reminds them she's technically their superior, and it's what they're speaking. Padme does a lot of the same in TPM & AOTC.

Dead-on on Derek "Hobbie" Klivvian ("Two fighters. . . ?"). That guy reeks.

bobafrett
02-18-2004, 02:19 PM
I thought Mark Hamill's acting in ROTJ was rather lame. It really stuck out like a sore thumb when he was talking with Carrie Fisher on the walkway in the Ewok village. I try to skip through that whole scene, just sappy drivel delivered even worse.

Best acting ANH Alec Guiness. Now I liked Mark Hamill in this one, he seemed very young and alive, although a bit of a whiner, but my kid whines, so I'm used to it.

Pendo
02-18-2004, 04:43 PM
"We're not going to attack?" guy in ROTJ for worst. I still don't know if that was a question or if he was telling Piett what he already knew :rolleyes:. It will be interesting to see if the is a question mark on the DVD subtitles :p.

PENDO!

B'Omarr Monkey
02-18-2004, 09:17 PM
THE BEST:

1. Alec Guinness - Completely anchored these movies because of his performance. Really elevated these about b movies.

2. Peter Cushing - Always great. The fact that I forgot about how likeable he usually is makes his performance as a villain even better.

3. Harrison Ford - The fact that the PT could really use a character like him, just goes to show what an impact he's made. Also, he really acted like he knew how to fly the Millennium Falcon.

4. Peter Mayhew - I was completely sold, and never thought for a second I was watching an actor in a costume.

5. The actor who played Rogue 2. Considering that most of the actors playing pilots delivered their few lines in a really stilted unconvincing manner, he really singled himself out as someone who felt comfortable in the cockpit.

6. R2-D2 - This should probably by my #1. The combination of the costume, Kenny Baker, and Ben Burtt creates a terrific, believable, multifaceted character.

Honorable mention - the voice of Boba Fett. Forget the costume, without that voice, he would have been nothing.

OI also thought Owen and Beru were really good.

THE WORST:

In addition to the "She'll die before she tells you anything" Imperial, and "Two fighter against a Star Destroyer" rebel pilot mentioned in an earlier post, these guys are all pretty bad, and it's pretty much based on one line.

1. THE ACTOR WHO TRIED FAKING JAMES EARL JONES' VOICE IN THE TESB SE FOOTAGE OF VADER LEAVING BESPIN. "Tell my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." Sounded like Darth Vader took too much cold medicine and nothing like JEJ.

2. REBEL PILOT who says "Watch for enemy fighters...stay on target." Between the sneer and the delivery things were not pretty.

3. DENNIS LAWSON TESB "Whoohah! That got him!" No wonder Luke gave him a dressing down.

4. MARK HAMILL TESB . "I'll meet you back at the rendezvous on...(checks his note) Tatooine.What? How could he forget the name of his own home planet? Granted you could argue about his performance in ROTJ in the ewok village, but this line always draws attention to itself for me.

5. THE EWOK THAT R2 zaps in the butt. What was up with those goofy over the top, comical leaps that he was doing. Really looked like someone wearing feety pajamas.

6. "YOU REBEL SCUM" IMPERIAL. I was waiting for him to twist his moustache and then tie Leia to the train tracks.

2-1B
02-19-2004, 01:23 AM
I thought JEJ actually did record that line in the SE ? :confused:

BEST
-Mark Hamill in ROTJ
-Harrison Ford
-Ian McDiarmid
-Billy Dee Williams
-Sir Alec Guinness
-Mike Quinn (Nien Nunb :D )

WORST
-Mark Hamill in ANH
-ANTHONY DANIELS

Pendo
02-19-2004, 05:04 AM
JEJ DID record that line in ESB :crazed:!

PENDO!

B'Omarr Monkey
02-19-2004, 10:48 AM
He did? The line is delivered in a weird slurred sing-song way. I thought for sure it was someone else trying to sound like him. It still doesn't sound right, if you ask me.

2-1B
02-19-2004, 02:20 PM
JEJ doesn't even sound the same between ANH and ESB - so why is it a surprise that he doesn't sound the same in ESB vs. ESB:SE 17 years later ? :confused:

JediTricks
02-19-2004, 10:29 PM
THE WORST:
1. THE ACTOR WHO TRIED FAKING JAMES EARL JONES' VOICE IN THE TESB SE FOOTAGE OF VADER LEAVING BESPIN. "Tell my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." Sounded like Darth Vader took too much cold medicine and nothing like JEJ.Ouch! Sucks to be that guy. I heard his name recently too, what was it? Oh yeah, it was "James Earl Jones" - what a hack, he even tried to rip off the original voice actor's name!!! I thought SAG rules prevented such things. ;)

Anyway, yeah, that's really JEJ, it was confirmed on SW.com a while back even.

I don't really feel like going through the "best/worst actors" thing right now myself, but I will say that the British actors who played the Imperial officers in ANH were all pretty awful mainly due to them having to over-act so the American voice actors could be dubbed over later (and most of them were not so hot either).

B'Omarr Monkey
02-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Okay, okay, okay. My ignorance, my mistake. But go and listen to that scene and tell me I'm wrong to think that could have been an imposter.

Turambar
02-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Okay, okay, okay. My ignorance, my mistake. But go and listen to that scene and tell me I'm wrong to think that could have been an imposter.

I agree with you, though. The new scene is awful. Sounds totally different from Vader in the rest of the movie. Plus, it adds nothing to the movie.

stillakid
02-21-2004, 04:13 PM
I agree with you, though. The new scene is awful. Sounds totally different from Vader in the rest of the movie. Plus, it adds nothing to the movie.

Not only does it not add anything, it actually takes away from Vader's signature means of getting to the point. The original line he seethed, "Bring my shuttle," told the audience everything we needed to know about his feelings at that moment and where he was going. The new dialogue was nothing but a lead-in to provide the excuse for including those pointless leftover ROTJ shots of the shuttle landing in the hangar bay. James should have refused to do the reread.

B'Omarr Monkey
02-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Well aside from not adding anything, it also detracts from Luke's rescue. The way I remember it, Vader calls for his shuttle, boards it, takes off, reaches his star destroyer, lands, and makes it to the bridge while the Millennium Falcon, already airborne, makes a u-turn to go back and pick up Luke. So much for the MF's impressive speed.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Best Acting
Peter Cushing
Alec Guinness (two acting heavyweights who bought star power to the movies)

Billy Dee Williams (in ESB especially)

Carrie Fisher (portrays a strong willed character nicely)

Trouble Perfomances
Mark Hamill (just a few scenes throughout the trilogy hurt him majorally, especially early on in ANH and the Vader confrontation in ESB)

"The two fighters versus . . ." guy. Irvin Kershner had very few minor blemishes in ESB but this was one of them.

"Imperial Troops have entered the base . . . " guy. Sounded a bit too monotone. Maybe if they guy had a bit more distress in his voice it would have sounded all right.

I'll have a lot more to write about during the Prequel best/worst acting thread. :D

Darth Jax
02-23-2004, 08:58 PM
best:
yoda
lando (esb)
han (anh & esb)
jej voicing vader

worst:
luke (entire trilogy)
vader
lando (rotj)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-12-2004, 11:35 PM
I know this is a bit part, and may be a bit of a stretch to say it is a great performance since it is relatively short, but I find myself quoting her all the time.

In 'The Empire Strikes Back' during the Battle of Hoth, the one female who monitors the battle for the Rebellion delivers her few lines perfectly. Her lines are "Stand by, Ion Control. Fire." She sounds like a robot which is the perfect way to deliver her lines for something as devestating as that weapon. Her pauses are approriately timed too. A small part, but it was something I noticed.

Does anyone else think so or am I just blowing smoke?

CaptainSolo1138
04-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Best:
*Harrison Ford (ESB)
*Billy Dee Williams (ESB)
*Peter Cushing (ANH)
*The midgets inside of Jabba (ROJ)

Worst:
*The guy in ESB who informs Vader that "Skywalker has just landed, m'lord".
*The "She gonna blow" pilot from ROJ.
*Vader's wingmen during the battle of Yavin. Their dialogue isn't especially bad, but the way they walk next to Vader when he orders them to come with him has always bugged me.

CaptainSolo1138
04-14-2004, 12:23 AM
In 'The Empire Strikes Back' during the Battle of Hoth, the one female who monitors the battle for the Rebellion delivers her few lines perfectly. Her lines are "Stand by, Ion Control. Fire." She sounds like a robot which is the perfect way to deliver her lines for something as devestating as that weapon. Her pauses are approriately timed too. A small part, but it was something I noticed.

Toryn Farr (Oh, god...did I really just use a made up EU name?!?!? :eek: :D )
I always thought it was kinda lame, but I guess I never saw it the way you put it. I'll have to pay attention next time I watch ESB. That's what I love most about SW movies: Every time I see one I notice something else or something different. You can't say that for too many movies.

B'Omarr Monkey
04-14-2004, 09:02 PM
I know this is a bit part, and may be a bit of a stretch to say it is a great performance since it is relatively short, but I find myself quoting her all the time.

Ah, you just think she's cute. Admit it. ;)

Actually, her performance is good, especially when you consider all the other bit actors who play seasoned military personel who are constantly tripping over their lines such as "Switch on you targeting computers." The guy sounded like someone just handed him the line, and he had no idea what a targeting computer was, vs sounding like he uses one regularly.

This is why I was impressed by Harrison Ford's scenes on the MF. He actually acts like he knows what all those buttons and switches do, and has been flying that ship for years.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Cute? I'll reserve judgment until I see a pic of her in a Slave Leia outfit ;)

Those are the little things that add up to a great movie, casting the small bit parts with actors who can deliver those lines. There is no need for a Sir Laurence Olivier to perform those parts. Finding an actor or actress to deliver those lines in a decent manner can't be that difficult, yet you look at the Prequels and shake your head at some of the lines. A lot of the fault is the dialogue itself, a little cheesy on the wordings of many of the expressions.