PDA

View Full Version : Which movie order is better to view?????

Bugstar2
02-18-2004, 01:16 PM
For someone who has never seen any of the movies before and once all 6 movies are out on DVD, which will be the best order for him/her to watch them (ie,: 123456 or 456123). The "123456" sounds logical since the story unfolds step by step. However, the "456123" will have surprises like "No Luke, I am your father", or when Luke (and audience) don't know that that annoying little green creature is actually Yoda, or not realising C-3PO was created by Darth Vader (Anakin). These are just some of the many surprises if viewed as "456123". The surprises disappear when viewed as "123456", but you see Darth Vader as a human that had some anger problems which led him to the dark side, and not just as a villain who was introduced in Chapter 4: A New Hope. Interesting, huh?? People who have seen the movies are already biased. I want to know what is the better order for a person who has no idea what these Star Wars movies are all about and want to watch them.

bobafrett
02-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Well, unless chapter III knocks my socks off, I'm going to go with just 4,5,6. I haven't been that big a fan of the first and second films. In fact I even own the DVD's of I & II, but hardly even view them. My VHS tapes of IV, V, and VI get viewed a lot more often. When the DVD set comes out, I'll be watching even more, even if it is just the SE.

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2004, 01:56 PM
I say 4-5-6-1-2-3. It's how audiences were introduced to the characters and story, so that's how I would show a newcomer to the series once the films are completed.

And I'm going to move this to the Classic Trilogy forum, since I think this belongs there.

Pendo
02-18-2004, 03:49 PM
For me it all really depends on Episode III. Although I know it's probably not going to come true, I still pray that George decides to preserve the secrets of the OT. The movies ARE supposed to be watched 123456, however the revelation of Luke's father has been one of the most important surprises in movie history and if George destroys it then I will be forced to always think of them as 456123.

I want to be able to one day watch each movie from Episode I to Episode VI, but Episode III is the decider on if I do this. Perhaps if George makes Episode VII - IX I may watch the movies as 456123789 :crazed:!

PENDO!

Hellboy
02-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Well made points Pendo. When all is said and done I think my viewing order will depend on what is and isn't revealed in Episode III as well. I would prefer Luke and Leia not be addressed as such in Episode III though so watching 123456 is an enjoyable option.

El Chuxter
02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Regardless, I think a first-time viewer should always see them in 4-5-6-1-2-Clone Wars-3 order.

stillakid
02-18-2004, 06:25 PM
I think it should be ANH, then the Christmas Special, then ESB, then ROTJ, then the Ewoks Adventures, then Episode I, then Triumph the Insult Dog at the Episode II premiere, then The Man Show Cutting in Line at the Hollywood Premiere of Episode II, then AOTC, then anything else. :D

2-1B
02-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Um, for someone who has seen these movies dozens of times . . why would you care if the PT gives away the secrets you are about to see in the OT ? :rolleyes:

Ohhhhhhhhh I know, I know, the new audience thing, yes, yes, I perfectly understand that and am not disputing it (good call, Chux).

But seriously, Pendo, I don't understand where you are coming from. :confused:
If Episode 3 preserves the secrets, then you don't want to watch them 123456 . . . but even if E3 DOES give away the farm, when you start off your marathon with part 4, well you still know what secrets are about to be revealed.
I don't get it.

Pendo
02-19-2004, 04:23 AM
But seriously, Pendo, I don't understand where you are coming from. :confused:
If Episode 3 preserves the secrets, then you don't want to watch them 123456 . . . but even if E3 DOES give away the farm, when you start off your marathon with part 4, well you still know what secrets are about to be revealed.
I don't get it.
I think preserving the secrets is an important thing for a few reasons.

First is a case of good movie making. The Star Wars films are supposed to be viewed as one big movie, so why reveal a movie secret only half way through the movie when it is supposed to be revealed towards the end? It's like on What Lies Beneath (poor example but the only one I could think of off the top of me head :p). Harrison Ford plays the bad guy in this, but we don't realise he is one until the end of the movie. But if we were shown that he murdered that girl at the begining of the movie then what's the point in having the surprise at the end of it?
The same with The Others, if we were shown that the family were dead then the surprise at the end will have no feeling to it.
By showing that Anakin is Darth Vader in Episode III just results in bad movie making, revealing the secrets of the movie before it is time to show them, and destroying the powerful emotion that the audience feels when Darth Vader says "I am your father".

Although we already know that Darth Vader is Luke's father, it does not mean that preserving this secret is not important. We DO have to think about future generations watching this movie, our kids watching this movie for the first time. Have you forgotten the chills you got when Vader revealed himself to Luke? Wouldn't it be wonderful for our children, and other children to feel these chills also?

When I watch a movie, whether I've seen it or not, I like to pretend I've not seen it before. I kinda blank out the ending of the movie. I still know what's going to happen but I try and recreate the same emotions I got from my first viewing. I want to watch the movies in 123456 order, but to get the same chills in ESB then Anakin must not be revealed as Vader before its time.

PENDO!

stillakid
02-19-2004, 08:01 AM
It's "kinda" like being asked to watch Back to the Future 3 before watching #1. Not exactly obviously, but the point is that despite the titles in the Star Wars saga (labeled as episode numbers), George told the story beginning at #4. For a variety of reasons, the story unfolds from that point and continues forward through to episode 3 despite the seeming conflict with the episode numbers in the titles. There is a conflict between the linear story timeline and the way that the audience is receiving the information. Some murder mysteries are set up this way...by actually telling the reader who did it early on then watching the detectives stumble through the story. This takes the emphasis off the "who did it" element and onto something else of the author's choosing. The problem with applying that same logic onto Star Wars is that it wasn't built like that from the start. A variety of "surprises" and secrets were an integral part of each episode (in 4,5, and 6) so by "giving them away" in preceding episodes (1 - 3), it naturally destroys the original intention of the way the OT was written and filmed.

Now somebody can claim that it's okay with them, they already know the secrets, et al... so it doesn't bother them. That's fine and there's nothing wrong with that on an individual level, but taking that kind of personal stance doesn't take away the fact that by revealing certain information in new episodes which just happen to take place before the established timeline still ruins the original intent.

This raises the question: Could George have actually achieved this anyway? We've talked about it all before and I think that what it boiled down to was "mostly." Definitely he could still hide the fact that Luke is related to Darth Vader. He could still hide the Luke/Leia relationship. He could hide Vader's true identity. I don't believe that he could have successfully hidden Yoda away enough to preserve the "surprise" in ESB when Yoda tricks Luke. But the rest, yes, he could have done. But no matter what he does in episode 3, he's already let too much out of the bag. Any nincompoop could figure out Anakin's alter-ego just by what we see and hear in 1 and 2. Add that to the "spoiler" information that suggests that George is intent on giving away every other OT surprise and that shows us that he A) meant for audiences to view them "out of order", or B) doesn't give a rat's arse about linear story continuity and is just making these off the cuff.

But still, either way, the Prequels are as good as EU material anyway so you can squeeze them between readings of some Zahn novels and a viewing of the Christmas Special with Maude. :D

2-1B
02-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Great, exactly as I expected. :rolleyes:
I wasn't talking about future generations, I specifically stated that. :rolleyes:
I've also stated that I agree with Chux about future generations watching them in production order. Yet, I couldn't really give a **** about them.

Pendo, if you can successfully watch the OT and "blank out" the fact that Vader is Luke's dad during ANH, well . . . more power to ya . . . I guess. :confused:

JediTricks
02-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Unless Ep 3 pulls off a miracle, I can't imagine sitting through the films in chapter number personally. I would of course suggest 4, 5, 6, Star Tours... and if they're desparate... then 1, 2, 3 to newbies, but for myself, I haven't seen anything in the prequels that makes me feel like they truly are chapters 1 and 2 to the SW saga, for me they might as well be 320 years before ANH.

scruffziller
02-22-2004, 12:50 PM
I may watch the movies as 456123789 :crazed:!

PENDO!
*GASP*!!!!!!! :eek: You're going to watch 7, 8, and 9!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Well made points Pendo. When all is said and done I think my viewing order will depend on what is and isn't revealed in Episode III as well. I would prefer Luke and Leia not be addressed as such in Episode III though so watching 123456 is an enjoyable option.
I would say that you should watch them in both orders on a regular basis. We have seen 4,5,6,1,2, and soon to be 3 Watching it 1-6 will bring a unique insight that you won't get with 4,5,6,1,2,3.

Kidhuman
02-22-2004, 03:13 PM
I agree with Chux and Caesar. Newbies watch 4-6, then 1-3. If you seen them all it doesnt matter. The one thing I am looking foward to, is taking a day to dirtbag it, sit in my bed with soda bottles galore, donuts, chips and what not and watching 1-6 in that order. Oh yeah, and a shotgun if anyone bothers me. :D :beard:

Darth Kirk
02-23-2004, 02:36 AM
For someone who has never seen any of the movies before and once all 6 movies are out on DVD, which will be the best order for him/her to watch them (ie,: 123456 or 456123). The "123456" sounds logical since the story unfolds step by step. However, the "456123" will have surprises like "No Luke, I am your father", or when Luke (and audience) don't know that that annoying little green creature is actually Yoda, or not realising C-3PO was created by Darth Vader (Anakin). These are just some of the many surprises if viewed as "456123". The surprises disappear when viewed as "123456", but you see Darth Vader as a human that had some anger problems which led him to the dark side, and not just as a villain who was introduced in Chapter 4: A New Hope. Interesting, huh?? People who have seen the movies are already biased. I want to know what is the better order for a person who has no idea what these Star Wars movies are all about and want to watch them.

Bugstar2 do you even like Star Wars??.. You called C3PO unrealistic and Yoda annoying.. Just wondering if you like this epic..

sith_killer_99
02-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Ah, this one is easy:

ANH (Original Theatrical Release) Han shoots first.
ESB (Original Theatrical Release)
ROTJ (Original Theatrical Release)

Then

ANH Special Edition
ESB Special Edition
ROTJ Special Edition

Then

ANH DVD release
ESB DVD release
ROTJ DVD release

Then

EP1 DVD
EP2 DVD
EP3 DVD

This is subject to change, if GL releases the OT in any other formats they will of course come before any viewing of the PT. lol

Pendo
02-24-2004, 03:26 AM
*GASP*!!!!!!! :eek: You're going to watch 7, 8, and 9!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DLMAO :crazed:!

I hope that oportunity never comes :D.

PENDO!

plo koon 200
02-24-2004, 08:38 PM
I think 1-6 and I have introduced newbies this way, at least they have only seen 1 and 2 and I think this is truly the best rote to go. They actually enjoy 1 and 2 not knowing about the OT first. I think with us and most everyone else the enjoyment of the PT is not as great because we begant with the OT films.

Bugstar2
02-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Bugstar2 do you even like Star Wars??.. You called C3PO unrealistic and Yoda annoying.. Just wondering if you like this epic..

Some great insight from everyone here. Thanks and I will continue to view your opinions.

And Darth Kirk, I loved Star Wars ever since I viewed it with my parents in the theater in 1977 (I was 7yrs old then). I was just stating things like how Luke felt about the little green creature messing around in Luke's belongings and annoying Luke. Luke felt he was "wasting" his time with what he felt was an annoying and a deterrent from seeking the Jedi Master, Yoda. The audience felt Luke being annoyed and watching 123456, I feel the audience won't get that true annoyance feel.

Does that sound clear. . . or are you annoyed and confused :-)

bobafrett
02-27-2004, 02:17 PM
That sounds perfectly clear to me. Before I ever went to see ESB, I had no clue as to what or who Yoda was. If I had a new person, who had never watched the movies, I would go 4,5,6 then 1,2,3. I mean I want them to see and feel that look of horror on Lukes face when Vader reveals to him that he is his father. If you start watching EP I, you already know that Anakin is a "Skywalker", then you get to EP IV you an already figure out that Luke is living with his Uncle and Aunt, why? Because Dad's out terrorizing the galaxy from behind a mask.

Kidhuman
02-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Yes Yoda was annoying Luke at first, but it was part of the test. Yoda knew he was coming, Luke had no idea that a Jedi Master could be so short and hideous looking. Luke failed the "patience test" because of "annoying Yoda." At first yes, he was annoying, but then we found out who he was and what he was doing, so it made sense.