PDA

View Full Version : Captain Antilles: dead-on

Old Fossil
02-19-2004, 10:25 AM
I was shocked to find Antilles, Dodonna, and the new TIE Pilot at my local Wal-Mart the day before yesterday. I had really wanted Gold Leader, but he'd already been snagged, so I brought these three home, and found the Antilles figure to be most satisfactory in nearly all respects.

I would say the likeness is accurate, but that's hard to say, given that the only time I saw Antilles in the movie was when he is being strangled. But I like the figure's face, anyway; the expression fits him being strangled, or reviewing his troops, or just watching television. The removable helmet is a great thing, and the helmet even has a small antenna on the side. He can look up or down, with a tendency to look up.

Additional articulation at the shoulders, elbows, and wrists makes for a figure that can hold a number of poses. I have kept him with his hands behind his back, a la the Imperial Officer; this pose reminds me a little of the rows of Rebel technicians we see at the Yavin IV awards ceremony, so Antilles could conceivably become an army-builder figure. With a little effort, one can actually pose this guy with Vader in mid-strangulation; I used the Bespin Duel Vader, and the latter is sufficiently heavy (with a RealStand) to keep from toppling over when clutching Antilles' throat.

There is no knee articulation, and (like Dodonna and the TIE Pilot), no waist articulation. Unlike Dodonna, however, Antilles has a working holster, half-hidden by his wonderfully detailed jacket. Takes some doing to get the blaster in its holster, but it can be done. The dark brown stripes on his pants are actually sculpted, and only add to this figure's overall quality.

All in all, I think Antilles is a high mark in this wave, and the entire Saga line. We can only hope all Star Wars figures approach this standard.

My grade: A+.

arctangent
02-19-2004, 10:34 AM
it may be different with the actual figure in front of you but i still think from the photographs he looks about twelve years old! :crazed:

Sidiously Darth
02-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Just received mine in the mail today. I think it's an excellent sculpt, maybe a little skinny but that's no big deal.

The easiest way to holster his blaster, raise the left leg into a seated position, slide blaster into holster and return leg to standing position. The top of the blaster hides perfectly behind his coat.

I haven't placed him in the grips of a vader yet but I have several doubles to choose from.

Overall, I'd say this is a really great figure.

Boba Fetish
02-26-2004, 04:00 AM
Twodot Tatooine - Antilles has waist articulation below the belt. Weird place but it is there, and the same joint appears on Dodonna a little below where the belt is sculpted.

plasticfetish
02-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Looks like a great figure! Spotted an auction for a prototype here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3177639743&category=2476
...the photos show how nice the detail is.

So, the neck is super long on this figure. I'd kind of wondered if it would retract into the body or something to make it look more normal when not being strangled, but it's not so bad as is.

Just waiting to find one now. Holding my breath. Turning blue...

Old Fossil
02-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Twodot Tatooine - Antilles has waist articulation below the belt. Weird place but it is there, and the same joint appears on Dodonna a little below where the belt is sculpted.

I see the joint you're talking about... the TIE Pilot has it, too. But it won't move on any of those three figures, or maybe a half millimeter at most. It IS weird... are your figures able to 'swivel' at the waist?

plasticfetish
03-13-2004, 04:33 AM
Oh man! I found this figure today at my local ToysRus and I've gotta say... I love it. I'll probably cough up a longer review with pics pretty soon, but for now I'm sitting here looking at it and thinking what a great job Hasbro did with this one. Super!

I'm gonna answer my own question about the neck extending thing, and the answer is yes. The neck extends out for when Vader is choking and back in for when Antilles is posed standing with blaster in hand.

It looks great and has nice detail all around. It feels super, is very solid without the kind of bendy weakness that I've seen on recent figures, like Jabba's Palace Luke. It's got some really nice, sensible articulation... though I do have a minor problem with the left arm not looking so good when turned to a straight position (un-bent), but it's no big deal at all.

I usually don't like grading the figures because, well... one man's "B" is another mans "A" is another mans "D", but in this case I'll toss out an "A" for Antilles.

Grab this one by the neck as soon as you can!

Hellboy
03-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Wow, this figure was worth the wait. Not much I can add that hasn't already been said. Good likeness, decent articulation, and nicely detailed. I highly recommend him.

Grade: A

Kidhuman
03-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Great looking figure. I like it alot.

plo koon 200
03-20-2004, 10:42 PM
I have yet to find it.

AmanaMatt
03-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Great figure, I'll agree...just wished the actual face was based on the actor and not some (clearly) kid. Was this likeness from some fan contest or was that speculation?

I do love how his eyes are kinda rolled in the back of his head, so it brought me some (dare I say) perverse satisfaction.

(Off to get help.....)

vulcantouch
03-22-2004, 09:58 PM
-as w/new tie pilot, i got one of these & am saving it unopened for now just in case; as w/tie pilot's chestplate, i only like this fig's helmet enuf to bother with, i plan to use it to replace my saga reb trooper's less-detailed helm (anyone ever remove the glued-on latter? how'd it go?). so if anyone here gets an extra antilles helmet they wanna trade me (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=23286). . . :)
vt