PDA

View Full Version : Elektra - The Movie

Beast
02-20-2004, 01:55 PM
I figured it was time for the upcoming Elektra movie to get it's own thread. Since there was a quite a bit of information coming out about the movie. Including Rob Bowman ("The X-Files") being the very likely canidate to take the director chair. As well as finding out what villians will likely make an appearance in the film.

I have to say that the movie sounds like it will be quite good. And I like the intresting choice of villians. And I wonder if the once planned 'Daredevil' cameo will be included or dropped. Since Ben Affleck has been reluctant to redon the red uniform for another go. Unless Kevin Smith was assigned as the director for the planned sequel to Daredevil. Whether that includes doing it for a cameo in 'Elektra' is unknown.

A word of warning, there is a bit of a spoiler here in regards to some of the plot. I noted it with stars and colored it silver, so you can read the rest and avoid reading it if you want. If not, highlight to read. :)

Another superhero production is rapidly speeding towards production today as its been announced that "The X-Files Movie" and "Reign of Fire" Director Rob Bowman is in talks with Fox and Regency Enterprises to helm the "Daredevil" spin-off movie "Elektra".

Using a script penned by Zak Penn, Marvel & Fox are rushing forward to get everything ready for a shooting start in May so as to fit nicely into the three month hiatus that title character star Jennifer Garner will have from her hit TV show "Alias" which wraps up filming of its third season in April.

The plot of "Elektra" will draw heavily from the graphic novels "The Elektra Assassin" and "The Elektra Saga," as she battles the Hand, an organization of killers that trained and then betrayed her. One major character will be Stick, a martial arts trainer who is a famed Marvel Comics figure.

While word on 20th Century Fox’s upcoming production “Elektra” production has been mostly quiet over the past 6 months, the film finally saw concrete movement Thursday morning with the news that Rob Bowman (“The X-Files”) is in talks to direct the film. Now, FilmJerk.com has learned that the "Daredevil" film spin-off is casting a number of lead roles and, more importantly, further details of the plot have been revealed, all in anticipation of a May 3 start of principal photography in Vancouver.

Taking a page from the storylines found in both the "The Elektra Assassin" and "The Elektra Saga" graphic novels, the film finds Elektra (Jennifer Garner) again working for the Order of the Hand, the group that trained – and then abandoned – her. At the request of Kirigi, the film’s villain, she is told to target Harbor Island man named Mark Miller because, she is told, of an act his grandfather performed. A widower, Miller is a likeable man introduced to Elektra by his 13-year-old daughter Abby.

***Spoilers***
After falling for him, Elektra becomes his protector and has to fend off four ninja assassins dispatched by Kirigi. But there is more to Mark Miller than he appears, as he has aligned himself with Stick, Elektra’s former mentor, and both he and his daughter are able to defend themselves. In the end, with Kirigi’s four assassins defeated, Kirigi faces off against Elektra.
***Spoilers***

In addition to Mark and Abby Miller, producers are now casting for several lead roles. According to our sources, they include:

Kirigi: Described as being younger the other Hand leaders, he has designs on leading the clan of assassins. Favoring the old ways, he deceptively wears a Zen monk’s traditional robes and bears a hardened scowl.

Tengu: One of Kirigi's four assassins, he bears animal tattoos that mysteriously move about his skin. Given the ability to morph his tattoos into living creatures, Tengu uses his creatures as scouts to spy on his prey.

Stone: An enormous man whose flesh seems to be made of something akin to stone, he makes the very floor buckle under his large feet. Because of his hardened skin, Elektra's sais seem to have no effect on him.

Typhoid: Perhaps the most interesting part, Typhoid is a woman wearing a kimono and a porcelain white mask. Offering a kiss that is ultimately poisonous, Typhoid can reduce a foe to a feverish corpse.

Roshi: The elderly leader of The Hand's counsel, he has long had an amiable competition with Stick.

We have not received word on how exactly the events come to play out here after her apparent death in 2003’s Daredevil.”
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-20-2004, 04:37 PM
I was surprised that I actually really enjoyed the Daredevil movie, and really look forward to the Elektra one. I hope it's as good as Daredevil :). I don't really follow the Daredevil or Elektra comics so have no idea what to expect from it, which in a way is probably a good thing :).

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
02-20-2004, 04:52 PM
I hope it does well, but I'm not a fan of her character so I'm not too interested in the movie.

Beast
02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
But it's gonna have Stick in it. You have to see it for Stick. After all, he was the original inspiration for the TMNT's sensei, Splinter. Well, him and Yoda. :)

http://marveldirectory.com/individuals/s/stick.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
02-21-2004, 05:48 AM
This movie does not intrest me what so ever. Just me $0.2C.

kool-aid killer
02-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Im kind of on the same page with JBF and -Durge- over this movie. I would prefer to see a better known Marvel hero on the big screen instead of Elektra. That and i have a feeling that this movie is only being made because of the actress who would be playing it and not because the character is interesting.

-Durge-
02-21-2004, 06:01 PM
kool-aid killer I would prefer to see a better known Marvel hero on the big screen instead of Elektra. I agree with you %100.

Silent Chazz
02-21-2004, 07:28 PM
At least now this means theres more of a chance now than there was for a Wolverine movie. However, it wont happen until post-X3.

Beast
07-01-2004, 04:34 AM
Massive Updates to the news on the Elektra film that is now filming. And it has been confirmed that Terrence Stamp (Zod, Chancellor Valorum) will be playing the blind ninja master Stick, who inspired the character Splinter. Here's the massive swell of news, enjoy. :)

Here are a few interesting tidbits of info that we picked up on our visit to the set of Elektra in Vancouver:

- Colin Farrell has offered to do a cameo as Bullseye if the part was good. They talked about bring Ben Affleck back for a cameo, but it looks like there will only be a passing reference to him in the film.

- They are currently in talks with Evanesence to do a song specifically written for Elektra.

- The film is primarily based on Frank Miller’s Elektra stories and the Elektra and Wolverine story.

- Elektra goes through several costume changes in the film, one of which is reminiscent of the traditional red outfit. However, due to the fact that it would be hard to realize on screen (much less fight in), it is slightly different than the comic version. The costume has long pants, but the same top and head cover as in the comics. You can check out the first picture of the costume at USA Today.

Also, here's a brief cast listing matching the actors to the characters:

Jennifer Garner as Elektra Natchios
Goran Visnjic as Mark Miller
Kirsten Prout as Abby Miller
Terence Stamp as Stick
Colin Cunningham as McCabe
Jason Isaacs as DeMarco
Hiro Kanagawa as Kinkou
Will Yun Lee as Kirigi
Natassia Malthe as Typhoid Mary
Bob Sapp as Stone
Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Roshi
? as Tengu

In the process of researching for this story, I found the following post at a Jennifer Garner forum. Most of the information here seems to be correct though there are a couple of errors. MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW, so proceed at your own risk. Enjoy!

A casting agent from the new Elektra movie emailed me and asked me to pop this up on the site:

Title: ELEKTRA
Filming in: Vancouver, Canada

CAST, Joe Pantoliano, Jennifer Garner
PROD, Mark Steven Johnson, Gary Foster, Avi Arad; SCR, Raven Metzner,
Stuart J. Zicherman.
Shoot Dates: May 3, 2004 (in Vancouver).

Breakdown--

Mark Miller: 28-38. A good looking guy, Mark lives on Harbor Island with his daughter, Abby. A widower, Mark is a nice, likeable, friendly man who is introduced to Elektra by his daughter. Seemingly a clueless civilian, Mark is actually Elektra's latest target, having been sentenced to death by The Hand (an organization of merciless and deadly ninja assassins) for something his grandfather did. Protected by Elektra, who has fallen hard for Mark, he is revealed to be less than the agenda-free regular guy he has seemed to be; in fact, he has allied himself with Stick, Elektra's former sensei, and is somewhat capable of defending himself. But Mark is not up to facing Kirigi, The Hand's master assassin and would-be leader, and in the end, Mark is dependent on Elektra for protecting him from certain death.

Abby Miller: 13. Abby dresses like a typical girl her age, but she doesn't act like one. She's confident and street-smart, and clearly has done a lot of her own parenting. Probing and a bit over-aggressive, she's the daughter of Mark Miller; her mother is dead. She forces her way into Elektra 's life, and introduces Elektra to her father, a piece of matchmaking that works out well. Not very feminine at all, but with athletic grace and a well-hidden beauty, Abby goes on the run with her father when Elektra balks at killing them both, and becomes their protector instead. In fact, Abby (like her father) is concealing a big secret: she's well aware that she's a target of The Hand, and has trained with Stick to protect her father and herself. A gifted young martial artist, Abby assists Elektra in her war against Kirigi and his assassins.

Kirigi: One of the members of The Hand, Kirigi is younger than some of the other Ninja leaders, but he's a power-hungry reactionary who wants to lead the assassin clan. He favors the old ways and dresses the part, wearing the traditional robes of a Zen monk. He has the hardened scowl of a warrior and is trailed by an intimidating entourage of killers. Unpredictable and frightening, determined to lead the council of The Hand, Kirigi accepts the assignment to kill Mark Miller, knowing that his chance at leading the shadow world of killers depends on his success. Furious when Elektra eliminates his hand-picked killers, one by one, Kirigi ultimately faces off against the female Gai-jin killer.

Tengu: One of Kirigi's team of four Ninja assassins, Tengu is covered in animal tattoos, which mysteriously shift and move on his skin. Able to morph his tattoos into living creatures that do his bidding, Tengu uses his creatures as scouts to spy on Mark and Elektra. Under Kirigi's orders, he uses his powers of concentration to pursue Kirigi's enemies, but winds up killed in a one-on-one fight with Stick; Kinkou: Another member of Kirigi's team of assassins, Kinkou is a teenage punk in leather, a dangerous killer who can easily maintain his balance on the roof of a speeding SUV. Ruthlessly intent on eliminating Elektra, he winds up stabbed in the stomach by her and is later decapitated by Kirigi for his failure to complete his mission; Stone: The third member of Kirigi's quartet of Ninja assassins, Stone is an enormous man who seems to cause the very floor to buckle as he walks. A man whose flesh seems to be made of stone, who cannot be cut by Elektra's sais, Stone is tough but not agile. He winds up crushed by an oncoming garbage truck.

Typhoid: The fourth member of Kirigi's team of master assassins, Typhoid is a woman wearing a kimono and the porcelain white mask of an actress in a Noh play. A woman whose kiss is poisonous, Typhoid uses her body to kill McCabe, reducing him to a feverish corpse, and later tries to do the same to Elektra. But Typhoid underestimates Abby, and winds up with a broken neck, courtesy of a 13 year old girl.

Roshi: An old Japanese man, who wears the black robes of a Japanese monk, Roshi is the leader of the council of The Hand. An elderly Asian assassin who has long had an amiable competition with Stick, Roshi is challenged for the head of The Hand by the ambitious and aggressive Kirigi. When Kirigi fails in his attempt to kill Elektra, Roshi coolly orders him to commit seppuku, and shows his mastery of martial arts when Kirigi attacks him.

Meizumi: An older high-ranking Asian gangster, a member of The Hand, he is appalled by Kirigi's efforts to take over the leadership of The Council, and supports Roshi against Kirigi. He has already tried and failed to kill Mark and Abby.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-01-2004, 04:40 AM
And here's links to the USA Today Story that offers a peek of Elektra's Red Costume. As well as a link to Superhero Hype's visit to the Elektra Set. Enjoy. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-06-30-elektra-first-look_x.htm
http://superherohype.com/elektra/index.php?id=1648

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Here's a really good picture of the red Elektra costume from the upcoming movie. Looks pretty nice, and I agree with them going with pants instead of the skirt/loincloth dealie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

master jedi
07-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Nice pic JJB. Very sexy. I found a bigger, better quality copy of the pic here (http://superherohype.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Elektra/The_Movie/Movie_Stills&image=elektra1.jpg&img=&tt=).

aceguide
07-02-2004, 07:57 AM
Jennifer Garner works for me!

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 01:27 AM
It doesn't seem unique or interesting at all, just a generic red bustier and some red hip-huggers that don't look like they'd stay on very well during martial arts (especially since Ms Garner doesn't have much in the way of hips). It's not terrible, but I don't think it's a reasonable exchange - I would have rather seen something more exotic and not showing midriff which seems silly (takes all the reality of the pants and flushes it), they could have gone the other way with the same neckline as the comic costume and then just have red leggings instead of bare legs.

Beast
07-16-2004, 03:08 AM
Well, we'll be seeing Elektra even sooner. Originally scheduled for a Febuary 18th release date, Elektra is now coming out an entire month earlier. Elektra will now open on January 14th, 2005. I can't wait for this one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-16-2004, 07:59 PM
That's an odd date, is there something big coming out that valentine's weekend that they're afraid of, or perhaps they realized this film won't be much of a date movie? They should try to grab holiday moviegoers with it, only a month earlier and they've got a built-in audience who will be missing new eps of Alias thanks to poor December programming. ;)

derek
07-16-2004, 08:28 PM
That's an odd date, is there something big coming out that valentine's weekend that they're afraid of, or perhaps they realized this film won't be much of a date movie? They should try to grab holiday moviegoers with it, only a month earlier and they've got a built-in audience who will be missing new eps of Alias thanks to poor December programming. ;)

january is the "garbage dump" of movie releases. studios traditionally release films at this time they have no faith in. all their potential money makers were released between thanksgiving and x-mas, or saved for the summer.

basically, i think this is their way of saying they don't expect anything from electra.
:cry:

JediTricks
07-16-2004, 09:08 PM
That's true, but February isn't exactly a massive success for them either, doesn't seem worth going through all the trouble.

mrmiller
08-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Sneek Peak Trailer

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2005/DEFGH/Elektra/firstlook/

Wow- looks better than I thought it would. Of course I know nothing of the story yet, but the eye candy is looking nice... not that Jennifer Gardner ever looks bad.....but the Marital arts stuff is looking cool.

=MATT=

JediTricks
08-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Did you see that episode of Alias last season where Sydney gets captured and tortured and they changed the camera lens and lighting to show all her freckles and make her look all sick and gross? Yeah, that was one instance where she looked bad. :D

SithDroid
09-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Yeah I saw the trailer and it looks pretty cool. At least Marvel doesn't dissapoint with their movies, now if only DC could get it together.

Beast
11-12-2004, 04:42 PM
The full trailer has been released, and I have to say that it looks pretty bad arse. Can't wait to see this movie, because I thought that Daredevil wasn't as well appreciated as it should have been. Thankfully DVD sales and overseas box office has all but guarenteed will see another Daredevil movie, whether Affleck will be in the suit is another question. But back to Elekrta. You can view the full trailer at the following link.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/elektra.html

And Fox currently has 6 posters under consideration. I happen to like 3 and 5 the best myself. The only one I don't really care for is 6, but that's mostly due to the background. Plus I think she looks better in the crossed arm position on the poster. :)

http://www.mikepepsi.vispa.com/Elektra66/elektra1.jpg
http://www.mikepepsi.vispa.com/Elektra66/elektra2.jpg
http://www.mikepepsi.vispa.com/Elektra66/elektra3.jpg
http://www.mikepepsi.vispa.com/Elektra66/elektra4.jpg
http://www.mikepepsi.vispa.com/Elektra66/elektra5.jpg
http://www.mikepepsi.vispa.com/Elektra66/elektra6.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
11-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Looks alright. I am not really into her character, I will go see it though. Will DD have a cameo in it?

JediTricks
11-13-2004, 03:18 AM
All the poster links are 404 not found now. :(

Pendo
11-15-2004, 01:15 PM
I really enjoyed Daredevil and am looking forward to Elektra. Because I do not follow the comic books it is easier for me to appreciate the movies as I do not know what to expect.

I hope there will be a Daredevil 2 and Affleck reprises his role, he has for Elektra!

PENDO!

mrmiller
12-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Wow! I saw the new trailer for this the other day and I am very impressed. Looks to have a lot of cool action scenes, plus with Jennifer Gardener it's going to be good eye candy even if the storyline doesn't work out.

=MATT=

Rocketboy
01-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Wow (http://www.comingsoon.net/boxoffice/2005/jan14.php), 5th place with $12.5 million.
Did not see that coming.
Elektra even got beat by Racing Stripes!

Comingsoon.net's The Weekend Warrior (http://www.comingsoon.net/weekendwarrior/2005/jan14.php) predicted 1st place with $23 million and the are usually pretty right on with their predictions.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I saw this movie last month and it was decent. I did like Daredevil so I guess I was more open to this film and while it wasn't THAT good, I thought it was not nearly as bad as the many negative reviews I read beforehand. So I did enjoy it. Any word on the DVD yet ? When a movie tanks like this, they usually rush it out to DVD right away. I'll buy it if it's cheap enough. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced Elektra which stars Jennifer Garner and Goran Visnjic. The disc will be available to own from the 5th April, and should set you back around $29.98. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with both English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks. Extras will include three deleted scenes (running to around five minutes in total), a thirteen minute making of Elektra featurette, a Comic-Con Presentation, an Inside the Editing Room feature which looks at the editing for several different scenes and both the theatrical teaser and trailer. Completing this new package will be a soundtrack promo and an Inside Look at the Fantastic Four and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Fox has yet to release the official package artwork I'm afraid, but we'll bring you that very shortly. Stay tuned.

:beard: :beard:

2-1B
02-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I hate those SRPs :rolleyes:

They release the product specs and say "it should set you back around $29.98" when they know darn well that nobody in their right mind would pay that kind of coin for a new single set DVD.

Thanks for the info, Jaymz. :)