PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Video Game Endings

Lord Malakite
02-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Just out of curiosity what is some of your favorite endings to a video game and why?
I have so many of them, so I think I'll mention one of the more recent games to come out, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. While the final battle was by far no way the most challenging, it was definately one of the most interesting. From Ganon's speech about the wind bringing death, to the King stealing Ganon's wish on the Triforce, and eventually link finishing off the mad man by driving the master sword though his skull as Hyrule perished beneath the sea. I felt this was by far one of the most dramatic endings to a game in recent times. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if they had shown its effects on the rest of the world during the credits like in some of the previous Zelda games. Yet it is understandable why they didn't as Ganon had yet to truly establish himself as returning to the new world.

QLD
02-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Final Fantasy II (IV)

It actually wrapped up ALL loose ends in the story. You knew what happened to everyone, and how all of the events in the game effected everyone. The music in the ending was great, as well as the ending battle, and story. The total ending ran around 22 minutes. No other video game ending has even come close to matching this one.

Kidhuman
02-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Most video games that I play are sports related so that rules them out. I would have to say Bounty Hunter. I liked the dialouge and the approach to clone Jango. It gave the reason why Dooku picked him for the clonig process.

Final Fantasy VII was pretty cool also.

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Eternal Darkness.

H. P. Lovecraft inspired story and you learn in the end your characters have all been manipulated by a forgotten foe so that it is now in power after your actions. You have to play the game three times choosing different paths, but in the end it is worth it. It's not a grand ending by any means, but the revelation of what you have done was what raised it for me.

Oh, and Batman for NES. He throws the Joker off the tower after beating him! I love my vigilantes cold blooded and without remorse. No jail for you, Joker!

2-1B
02-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Game Over.
Return of Ganon.

jjreason
02-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Final Fantasy IX. I'd been so worried about Vivi, to see him with a family nearly had me in tears. I know it's not everyone's favorite FF game, but it's mine out of the ones I've played.

Honourable Mentions to Metal Gear Solid (starting with the final speech by Liquid, the fist fight, etc - amazing) and FFVII.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-23-2004, 02:10 PM
I remember the ending to the old Aliens C64 game from the 80's. It played out exactly like the movie with ole' Bishop laying on the deck with all his android guts hanging out grabbing onto Newt to keep her from blowing out the airlock. Pretty cheesy but it took me so long to beat that game it was gold to see the ending.

Hellboy
02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
I remember the ending to the old Aliens C64 game from the 80's. It played out exactly like the movie with ole' Bishop laying on the deck with all his android guts hanging out grabbing onto Newt to keep her from blowing out the airlock. Pretty cheesy but it took me so long to beat that game it was gold to see the ending.

Wow. I haven't thought of that game in a very long time. I spent countless hours with a friend of mine trying to beat it and it was tuff. I remember being stuck on one of the later levels right before taking on the Queen for a long time but I really can't recall much about the ending. I loved the variety of gameplay in the different levels and maneuvering the Drop-Ship sure was fun. Good times. :)

As far as favorite endings are concerned I'm generally not very impressed with them in most games but I guess it beats the old days of the game just going on forever. Off the top of my head a few of my favorites are ICO on the PS2 and Phantasy Star IV on the Sega Genesis.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Wow. I haven't thought of that game in a very long time. I spent countless hours with a friend of mine trying to beat it and it was tuff. I remember being stuck on one of the later levels right before taking on the Queen for a long time but I really can't recall much about the ending. I loved the variety of gameplay in the different levels and maneuvering the Drop-Ship sure was fun. Good times. :)

I bet I know which level cause it was the same one that baffled me forever. After the level where you escape the nest with the four marines, you have to escape the command center by going through this maze of ventilation shafts. The aliens slowly crept up on you as you wound around the maze and whenever they grabbed you, you would detonate a grenade to get free, but by doing so sacrificed a marine, like what Gorman and Vasquez did in the movie. You only had X marines. My problem was figuring out the maze, so I found a way to copy the maze and find the right way out. I just remember it took me like weeks to get it done.

scruffziller
02-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Legend of Zelda Ocarnia of Time.
I really felt like I had lived the game when the closing scenes came.:cheeky:

Hellboy
02-26-2004, 07:23 PM
I bet I know which level cause it was the same one that baffled me forever. After the level where you escape the nest with the four marines, you have to escape the command center by going through this maze of ventilation shafts. The aliens slowly crept up on you as you wound around the maze and whenever they grabbed you, you would detonate a grenade to get free, but by doing so sacrificed a marine, like what Gorman and Vasquez did in the movie. You only had X marines. My problem was figuring out the maze, so I found a way to copy the maze and find the right way out. I just remember it took me like weeks to get it done.

Yep thats the one. :D After reading your description I can picture it. If I remember correctly it wasn't so much how difficult each mission was but the fact that you had to play all the missions in one sitting that made this game really hard. I do remember my friend and I feeling like we had made quite the accomplishment after finishing this game. :rambo:

I wish I still had my C64 so I could look back at some of the more original titles like Aliens that really were fun and challenging. Maniac Mansion was another favorite of mine but I can't remember if I ever finished it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-07-2004, 11:42 AM
The individual endings to the Twisted Metal Games were always filled with irony, one-liners, and great animation. Especially to Twisted Metal II for Playstation in where each driver was granted a wish from Calypso for winning the tournament. 90% of the wishes backfired on the winner and ended up making their situations worse or even killing them.