PDA

View Full Version : Toys R Us: A Wasteland

TeeEye7
12-10-2001, 07:01 AM
While my wife was Christmas shopping for our young niece and nephew this evening, she checked out the SW section only to find there was next to nothing. That didn't suprise me since our local store has been that way for over six months. I've quit going there since it's an exercise in futility.

What did suprise me was that my wife asked an employee we know when more stock was coming in, the answer was that they weren't expecting ANY product 'for quite some time'. jHas anyone else heard this from their TRU? Does this mean nothing until the clones attack or the cows come home?

:confused:

JediTricks
12-10-2001, 10:01 AM
It means your wife was lied to by a TRU employee too lazy and/or rude to deal with a Star Wars collector. TRUs are still getting figures, heck, I recently found a Deluxe Maul there, but I am always hearing ("always" as in, "for the past 3 years") about some loser toy employee telling SW collectors that their store or their chain are no longer getting product, but every time, that store still sees new SW stuff days, weeks, and months later. It's not just TRU, Target and Wal-mart employees do the same thing from time to time because they know there's no one willing to report them to a superior.

Lobito
12-10-2001, 04:41 PM
I was in Toronto two weeks ago, and i went to TRU to find the deluxe Luke Bacta Tank.

Although JT may be right, the thing is that they havent seen SW toys in that TRU'S for 6 months, maybe the way they are managing that particular TRU is the problem.:eek:

Deoxyribonucleic
12-10-2001, 04:53 PM
I've been going every tuesday and thursday at a pretty hip hoppin' TRU for the last 3 months and they have
NOTHING!!! A BIG FAT NOTHING! Maybe if I wear a low cut shirt or something I can go into the backroom and get stuff for everyone because I know they have it!!!!!
They just keep putting out drones of EP1 old stuff and old ben from POTJ. Everyone has it already who wants it! (it's like the darn harry potter books; everyone who wants one pretty much already has one so why keep putting them out!!!) I know, I know, they have to sell them so they won't lose money...but hey it's not our fault sheeesh! BRING ON THE FX-7!

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :o :frus: :o :frus: :cry: :cry: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

Magnolia-Fan
12-10-2001, 07:05 PM
It's because "they don't make Star Wars stuff anymore"!

At least that's what my local TRU guy told me.

I was in my local TRU a while back, and upon finding about 30 E1 Darth Mauls and nothing else on a litte display stand, I asked an employee where the rest of the Star Wars toys are.

"That's all we got. They aren't making Star Wars stuff anymore," he responded.
Knowing this to be untrue, I said to him with a smirk, "What?"
"Well they dont make 'em forever," he replied.

Upon correcting his lie and/or ignorance and explaining to him that although they don't make Episode 1 toys anymore, they still make POTJ toys, he responded by telling me that they "dont get very much of that stuff in."

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-10-2001, 07:40 PM
I understand your frustration.

For the last two months, it has been stop, look and leave for me at Toys R Us. It seemed that they were always the last store to get the newest wave of figures in (compared to Target, K-mart, KB and most Wal-Marts). The only "new" shipment that was worth mentioning (besides an influx of POTJ pegwarmers) over that time, were some Jar Jar Cannons and Battle Droid Transports. Everything else I had bought already or were sitting there for months (i.e. the Dewback and Sandtrooper, Sith Lord 2 pack, tons of Deluxe Darth Maul).

But over the weekend, to their credit, there was a plentiful number of Deluxe Mauls and Bacta Tanks and the Dewback was finally put on clearance.

Hopefully this will continue in the future.

GNT
12-10-2001, 11:46 PM
Ever thought of buying cases from on-Line stores?

Maybe TRU is making room for the Episode 2 stuff and thats why they dont want to put out anyrthing?

TeeEye7
12-11-2001, 07:12 AM
I think Lobito in on to something here. My local TRU did get a new manager about 6 months ago. That's when SW product began to fade away. There used to be peg after peg of stock (albeit old). Now there's a couple of pegs only and hardly anything on them. I think this may be the new manager's strategy.

GNT: An excellent idea, however, I'm not a completist. My collection is very modest by most standards around here. I pass on the majority of figures, buying only that which strikes my fancy.

JT: Not to defend TRU, but the employee in question has always been very helpful (especially in the old Power Ranger frenzy days years ago) and up front with us. I think Lobito is right about the management. I hadn't thought about the change in management before now.

Obi-Don
12-11-2001, 09:31 AM
I believe that JT maybe right.I went to a target and asked where thier STW stuff was and the person told me that they don't carry any SW products any more. What a load of bull.Thats where I got the B-wing and a few of my figures from.Lazy sons of mynocks.Sometimes its a waste of time asking the people there.You have to look for yourself and ask for the manager to get the products in,if they want your bussiness.[Don't count on it making a bit of difference,but it will make you feel a little bit better.]

LTBasker
12-11-2001, 09:32 AM
Everytime I've asked an employee if they've got anything else in the back, they always respond "no." Never once did an R2-D2 w/ Holo Leia hit the shelves at my TRU, I doubt all the cases my TRU got were just the earlier waves because my TRU hardly got any hologram commtech chip ones, I know they did switch the CTC pic in the cases w/o R2, but it would've probably of been the tail end of'em... If my TRU did get any R2s, I doubt many if any hit the shelves. No doubt they're just paying for the cases themselves and then reselling them to some scalper or on ebay. Would it really suprise anyone? Trust no employee! mwhahahaha! err... lost it there. :rolleyes: The newest thing I've found at my TRU, is an .0300 Lando.

JediTricks
12-11-2001, 10:07 AM
As I understand it, TRU managers can make suggestions about what amounts of what toys they receive, but they cannot halt the flow of any line the company wants that store to receive.

It's more likely that the new manager looks the other way while employees sell the figures to scalpers or horde them for themselves, or perhaps he himself is a collector and keeps things from hitting shelves. Some folks have made this hobby quite corrupt and it's frustrating as all get-out.

I would suggest getting the district HQ's phone number and calling with a complaint. Go over the whole store's head.

Jargo
12-11-2001, 03:18 PM
I know this is old news and probably quite boring but a year ago I went to several TRU here in the uk and was told by someone who phoned head office in Warrington that TRU was clearing all the star wars stock comletely and would not be stocking anything until the new movie opened. further to that, they would only be selling the immediate movie tie-in waves and nothing after that.
TRU over hee now has no star wars section at all. Not one peg. Aded to which they reduced the lego section in january of this year and remodelled to take in more electronic goods like PS2 and computer games.

Bleak times for UK collectors..........

Wolfwood319
12-11-2001, 04:21 PM
Not much better on this end either. Of the 3 TRU's I have in my area, all 3 have done away with most of the Star Wars section. A few old episode 1 mini-rig things in a clearence bin, and a peg of remaining POTJ pegwarmers and E1 tatooine mauls. They haven't had anything new in a long time.

I also don't expect many retailers to get many E2 products as they did with E1, with the horrors still fresh in there mind (and in their discount aisles. :D )

If E2 is an utter and complete failure, I can't expect too much SW after that. We've barely been able to hold on with POTJ and Hasbro's poor distribution with that line.

I also don't think that they are many scalpers left. The figures at stores probably just get bought by the collectors within the first few days. And since stores only get in maybe a case or two a month, there isn't a lot of figures to go around.

Most scalpers have gone onto bigger and better things, like Simpsons. Most comic book stores that I go to (and believe me, I've been to a lot over the past year) don't sell that much Star Wars either. They mostly have older stuff for discounted prices. Sure there are still some items that command a good price, like the Sio Bibble wave, but that's about it. And since most anyone can get all the new stuff and most of the old stuff online, there really isn't a place for scalpers anymore.

No, the reason that you don't find Star Wars figures at a store is because they don't get in enough to begin with.

JediCole
12-11-2001, 06:31 PM
The TRU in my area which I most often frequent offers three pegs crammed full of $1.98 "soft goods" Mauls, a tower of (finally marked down but you wouldn't know it from looking at the price tags) 12" Dewbacks, a handfull of E1 toys, and NOTHING NEW! It has been that way for MONTHS! The new X-shelf design of the stores does little to help the situation. This cool new merchandising technique makes the store difficult to navigate and impossible for the casual toy shopper to find anything. We all know the layout by heart, but if you step out of the collector's frame of mind for a moment and just look at how someone unschooled in TRU would view the set up, it is little wonder that TRU is suffering financially. Like everyone else in the store level retail market, they just don't understand the potential. I'm afraid that if prevailing wisdom in toy retailing does not go the way of prevailing wisdom (in the past) of Hasbro in regard to the Star Wars line, we may all be paying MUCH higher prices for our figures (from e-tailers and scalpers).

JediTricks
12-12-2001, 12:17 AM
I think it is on the old forums, or maybe the defunct UBB ones, but a long while back, I made a big long post about how the Azusa TRU here in Cali had just changed to this "new horrible x-shaped floor plan" and how I hoped the other stores didn't follow; that store has always been first with the new layouts and this was no exception. 2 years later, it's appalling how all the TRUs are in this REALLY awful "x-island" layout. TRU has singlehandedly ruined themselves with this design (and getting sued by the gov't with Hasbro for market tampering) and I don't think they get it at all.

Anybody know if the new "flagship" store in New York is like this?

GNT
12-12-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by TeeEye7
GNT: An excellent idea, however, I'm not a completist. My collection is very modest by most standards around here. I pass on the majority of figures, buying only that which strikes my fancy.

Thankyou :) Buy a case,keep what you want,sell what you dont need....simple!