PDA

View Full Version : Robocop on DVD!

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Part man. Part machine. All cop! MGM Home Entertainment finally brings the long-awaited special edition of RoboCop to Region 1 on June 8th. Available exclusively as part of the Robocop Trilogy box set, the seminal sci-fi action film will be released in its unrated extended cut with a brand-new high definition anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 remix. Extras will include a commentary track (with director Paul Verhoeven, producer Jon Davidson, and screenwriter Ed Neumeier), "Flesh And Steel: The Making of RoboCop" new 36-minute documentary, four deleted scenes, a 6 minute film-to-storyboard comparison (with optional commentary by Phil Tippett), two vintage featurettes, a still gallery, trailers and a TV spot. Also included with this set will be film-only reissues of Robocop 2 and Robocop 3, both with new anamorphic widescreen transfers and Dolby 5.1 audio. Retail for the set is $39.96. Robocop 2 and Robocop 3 will be available individually at $14.98 apiece. Click on the thumbnail for a bettr look at the packaging!

Sucks about Robocop only being available in the boxset, but at least it will be the unrated extended edition! Take that Criterion release!

Also, this is from the davisdvd website.

Beast
02-24-2004, 12:59 AM
I'll pick it up. Pretty good price for the boxset, and I don't own Robo2 or Robo3. Even though Robo3 is craptastic. But since I only own the Criterion version on Laserdisc, this will be a way to get the uncut version on DVD. Without shelling out big bucks for the Criterion DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
02-24-2004, 01:59 PM
R2 and R3 will be available separately? Not R1? Crap! Talk about getting the shaft. R1 is the trilogy, the other two are just footnotes.

I really dig RoboCop. Such a great movie. The social commentary is terrific without being confrontational or in your face. Plus Kurtwood Smith (the dad from 70's Show) is just awesome. Who else would like to see a SE where he throws Ashton Kutcher from that getaway van onto Murphy's car, instead of that generic baddie?

JediTricks
02-24-2004, 06:25 PM
That's pretty desparate, but I'll probably end up getting it since I don't have it on DVD at all. Glad I didn't get the cheapo DVD when it was out. Having R2 and R3 out separately is an insult though, I fully expect to see them in the WM $5.50 bin by next year. :D

Hellboy
02-24-2004, 07:42 PM
I've got the Criterion DVD so I'll be passing on this set. The only thing about my DVD I don't like is it's not presented in 5.1 audio but I'm not going to get an entire box-set just for that addition. I knew this version was rare but I wasn't aware it went for big bucks. I suppose once the set hits it won't be worth much but just out of pure curiosity does anyone know what the Criterion version goes for?

Beast
02-24-2004, 08:53 PM
The Criterion DVD is OOP (Out of Production), so yeah it has become a bit more valuable on the secondary market. Not as much so as 'Silence of the Lambs' Criterion DVD, but close. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darkness Shroud
02-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I got the UK Boxset around about september last year and then about a month or so later they released the single dvd of Robocop. Usually you guys get the dvd's before we do. But if you hang on i'm sure they'll release it the same way in the usa.:) The boxset is good though! Even just for the extras! Forget Robocop 3 i walked out of the cinema on that one.:cry:

El Chuxter
02-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Huh. I didn't know the Criterion set was out of print. I've had it for a while, so I'll be passing on the set. Especially with Robocop 2 available separately. (Who gives a rat's you-know-what about 3?)

For that price, and given what it will likely be on sale for, I'd have forked over the dough to get #2. Kinda like with Superman. I had no desire whatsoever for 3 or 4, but needed the first two, so when I saw the set on sale for just a few dollars more than the first two individual DVDs, I forked over the extra. (With the price the Alien Quadrilogy goes for at Costco, I'll probably do the same there eventually.)

BTW, for your pleasure, here are all of Robocop's lines from Robocop 2, listed in order. :D

CAIN!!

I'm looking for Cain!

Where is Cain??

CAIN!!

Ouch.

Haste makes waste. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Zap.

CAIN!!

WHERE IS CAIN???

Hellboy
02-26-2004, 07:52 PM
The Criterion DVD is OOP (Out of Production), so yeah it has become a bit more valuable on the secondary market. Not as much so as 'Silence of the Lambs' Criterion DVD, but close. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I love my Criterion Laserdisc version of 'Silence of the Lambs'. I imagine the DVD is much the same. Its kind of fitting that these DVD's are worth money since those of us who bought the Criterion Laserdiscs in the 90's had to pay between $50-$150.