PDA

View Full Version : Top ten canceled TV shows

Kidhuman
02-25-2004, 01:54 PM
List of (http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=150652) top ten canceled TV shows of recent times.

I liked most of the shows on the list. The Tick, Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared and of course Family Guy. These shows all died but thatbks to DVD they can live on in our libraries.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-26-2004, 10:36 AM
I would've changed a few of those or maybe added a few. My own personal fave being "Ed" on NBC. NBC just didn't treat this show with the dignity it deserved and due to its cancellation, i really have no reason to turn to NBC, ever again. Farewell peacock; may you drown in your plethora of lame reality TV shows. :D

Silent Chazz
02-26-2004, 11:12 AM
I loved The Tick. Also, Family Guy is a favorite of mine, so I'm glad it's being revived in 2005. Guyute, if you think NBC has a lot of Reality Shows, FOX has a lot of them as well. lol

Turbowars
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Twin Peeks was awesome! What ever happened to Fast Lane? That show was HOT!!

Sentinel18725
03-01-2004, 09:44 PM
I never saw The Tick, but I loved Freaks and Geeks...I thought it was marvelous. I am also remembering alot of old shows from the 80's. I don't know if they were good or am I just being nastalgic....but

Crime Story
The Enforcers (only thing I remember is it having a Genesis song "Line on You" as the theme)...I believe it was about hitmen.
Ed......This was dropped by NBC....they kept bouncing it all over the place and I had no idea when it was on and when it wasn't......
I've heard that Sports Night is excellent...I'll soon see
Houston....the other Magnum type film from the 80's....always on late Friday night
Miami Vice....Michael Mann....do I need to say more.....say, how about a remake of Miami Vice on the Silver Screen with George Clooney and Laurence Fisburn as Crocket and Tubs....... :crazed:

2-1B
03-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Friday the 13th The Series is the greatest cancelled TV show of all time. :)

jeddah
03-02-2004, 03:46 AM
Farscape and American Gothic. I wish AG was available on DVD... :(

jeddah

James Boba Fettfield
03-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Friday the 13th The Series is the greatest cancelled TV show of all time. :)

Caesar, I think I could hug you for mentioning that series. I spent many a Friday nights watching that series as a kid. Cursed items always make a good premise for a show.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Did anybody else watch "errie, Indiana" by any chance? I remember that show was pretty fun to watch when i was a youngling.

Sentinel- i'm glad to see another "Ed" fan on the boards! I'm gonna miss that show. :D

2-1B
03-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Caesar, I think I could hug you for mentioning that series. I spent many a Friday nights watching that series as a kid. Cursed items always make a good premise for a show.

I won't hold my breath but my dream is a DVD boxset of the series. :)

COME ON PARAMOUNT ! ! ! :mad:
It's only 3 seasons long, about 72 episodes in duration . . . just crank it out already ! :crazed:

Of course the best episodes overall are from the first 2 seasons before John D. LeMay left the show. However, I do enjoy many of the episodes with Steven Monarque (as Johnny Ventura).

The show never got a real finale because it was cancelled between seasons - so the show with the Marqui de Sade is the final episode.

I'm not sure how Sc--Fi is handling the syndication anymore but a few years ago they always ran them in chronological order. I managed to record them all on VHS in that order. But I want them on DVD ! ! ! :crazed:

Kidhuman
03-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Did anybody else watch "errie, Indiana" by any chance? I remember that show was pretty fun to watch when i was a youngling. :D

I remember that show. I saw the two epsidoes that aired. :crazed:

Hellboy
03-02-2004, 07:48 PM
I loved American Gothic and Farscape too jeddah. Shame to see them go. I can't even remember if AG had its final episodes aired. If they were I missed them and never found out how the whole story concluded. Gary Cole was awesome.

A few others I enjoyed that got the axe were- Michael Mann's Robbery Homicide Division, Firefly, Boomtown, and now Angel. :cry:

Adam
03-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Ed was great, as was The Tick. I went to Best Buy to get the Tick on DVD and they were sold out. :cry:

Darkness Shroud
03-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Have any of you guys heard if millennium is coming out on DVD in the USA?
I loved the first 2 series. I signed up to a Fox home entertainment newsletter here in the uk and it said it was coming out. As to when i dont know, Just thought i would ask my american friends. :)

vulcantouch
03-14-2004, 11:17 PM
. . . the "cancelled" distinction used here's a bit tricky, cuz if a cancelled show managed to last longer than any realistic expectations (as, in Mr's case, 4 seasons) or longer than is usually considered a short, unsuccessful run (PI's Five seasons), should it really be included in a "killed to soon" lament? by the same token what if it lasted only a few eps but was "only" a mid-season replacement, so never officially got "cancelled" since it never officially became part of a network's schedule?
oh well here's a few i'm surprised no one spoke up for, comedy central should run a "short but sweet" timeslot showcasing such gems one at a time since most of their runs are too short for any other sort of syndication:
Home Movies (http://adultswim.toonzone.net/homemovies.html)- from the Dr. Katz "squigglevision" cats :)
Da Kwitik (http://critic.nohomers.net/cast.html) (jon lovitz, who made a moe's tavern cameo 2nite :) )
The PJ's (http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.11/3.11pages/tvpjs.php3)- the only time in the last 2 decades eddie murphy's been pee-yer-pants funny? :)
Get A Life (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/member-reviews/-/A1KE5LQ9HJSTCE/1/ref=cm_cr_auth/104-7898082-0103965)- the patron saint of ahead-of-its-time antisitcoms :cool:
Dilbert- GAL's chrissy elliott voices dogbert :)
hon mentions: michael moore's TV Nation, The Edge (sketchcom from GAL/Romy&Michelle's dave mirkin; Lookit all the pre-star talent in this cast! (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-487/)), The Oblongs (http://www.angusoblong.net/theoblongs.html)- uneven but scary strong when it hit :cool:
vt

Mandalorian Candidat
03-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Freaks and Geeks is definitely a winner. The setting (1980?) was slightly before I was in high school but I could relate to the protagonists. A great show.

Family Guy is just brilliant, with Futurama close behind. I wish they had been cleaner, but at least they were well written.

Millenium I thought for a while was like X-Files lite but it turned out to grow on me and toward the end I thought it was good. I wish I had watched more of the episodes and kept up with it.

PJs, like FG and F-rama, was LOL great. The animation style was so cool and it was one of the few recent Eddie Murphy-driven projects that worked well. I can't think of a single episode that wasn't good. Plus the endless SW references made it a winner in my book.

KH, I don't know if Twin Peaks was really ever cancelled. I thought it just had a specific life span and at the end of the two years that was it. Still a great show, but I can see non-Lynch fans just not getting it. Sometimes you have to have patience with his style and stick it out to get to the end.

sith_killer_99
03-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Farscape

Futurama
Nowhere Man
Kindred: The Embraced
The Lone Gunmen

and of course, soon to be joined by...

Angel
Tru Calling

There are others, but everyone has pretty much nailed 'em.

JediTricks
03-15-2004, 05:28 PM
VT, I thought you knew, Home Movies is just wrapping up it's newest season with eps 49 and 50 this upcoming Sunday and the one after. Last night's new ep (#48) was good, but slightly uneven. They have been on fire this season as a whole though.

I never felt The Critic was that good, it had potential but mostly stuck with Lovitz-themed watered-down writing, rarely as biting as it should have been. Fox did it no favors by picking it up either.

PJs had some good moments, but the 2nd season didn't even have Eddie Murphy anymore, they got someone to replace him. The gags also were pretty one-note by then too, the same stereotypes over and over.

Dilbert, I liked this show but very uneven writing and I really felt Chris Elliot sucked as Dogbert... of course, I don't think much of him in most of the stuff he does either, he beats comedy over the head, that's his schtick.

I've been watching The Oblongs on Cartoon Network again once in a while, it's still got some funny, but the no-limbed Dad, Bob (ha ha), is often the weakest link and surprise surprise, he's played by "only slightly less-annoying than Chris Elliot" Will Farrell.

I don't remember The Edge, but I miss MTV's The State.

ManCan, what do you mean by "cleaner"? You mean the humor shouldn't have been so "adult" or what? Personally, I adore both series with all my might, I would gladly sacrifice The Simpsons for either of them to return.

Lone Gunmen, that was really good, I hated that they canned it and hated even more how they wrapped it all up on X-Files (which *should* have been cancelled about 2 years earlier).

Sidiously Darth
03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Here's a few I liked that ended to early for me:

Space: Above and Beyond
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - Bruce Rules!!!
Tour of Duty

Phantom-like Menace
03-17-2004, 08:19 AM
I liked this show, but I didn't really like this show until just as it was going out. As they began to gear up for Operation Roundhammer, I was hooked. Of course, shortly after reaching the moon of the Chig homeworld, it was no more.

I'll put in another mention for Angel. I've never sent letters to studios, advertisers, and whomever until this nonsense. I hope desperately I haven't chosen to stand in a hopeless battle.

Why, why can't I just send letters to plead that they renew Survivor or derivative crime dramas so I can just declare victory and go about my day watching DVDs:rolleyes:?

JediTricks
03-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Briscoe County should have lasted 5 or 6 seasons easy, Fox didn't promote it right (seems like we see that a LOT from them) and then killed it. :(

Mandalorian Candidat
03-20-2004, 11:17 PM
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - Bruce Rules!!!

I totally agree. Space was a kick-A show and got really good toward the end. I think I missed a couple of episodes at the end and was really unsatisfied when it ended how it did. It seemed like they didn't rerun the shows at all and every week there was a new one out. I hope they put them out on DVD.

Brisco was also a terrific show. I remember watching it before XFiles when it was still on Fridays. Ahh, the good old 90's.

LusiferSam
03-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Lone Gunmen, that was really good, I hated that they canned it and hated even more how they wrapped it all up on X-Files (which *should* have been cancelled about 2 years earlier).
I agree with you JT, The Lone Gunmen was pretty good and it suck how they end it. But I think the X-Files should have ended with the movie rather then drag us through its slow death.

Firefly is one show I'm glad was canned. It caused Dark Angel to be canceled. The first season was pretty cool. The second was terrible but it look they might have turn it around with another season.

Another Fox show I really liked was Harsh Realm. It was a bit Matrix like, but I really like the story line.

scruffziller
10-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Nowhere Man

WOW!!!!! Another NOWHERE MAN FAN!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!

Did you see the whole sereies? What ever happend lastly? Did they just cut it off???

I found this thread becuae I wanted comment on Freaks and Geeks. Discovered it through NETFLIX!!! I love it.

This show is fall down funny. Bill is hysterical. And the acting can't be more flawless. Like the creator's said on the commentary. It was better to have 1 great season, than to have 8 crappy ones.

UKWildcat
10-29-2005, 04:20 PM
I agree with ya on Freaks and Geeks. That show was awesome! A bad move on NBCs part not to renew that one, its a shame it didn't last. The same could be said with Undeclared, it was a good show, not as good as F&G IMO, but I actually thought it had a chance to last on FOX... I guess not.

Another show I would add to the list now would be Carnivale on HBO. Lost a lot of respect for that network when they didn't pick that one back up. :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, Freaks and Geeks rules! My sister watched it on TV when it was new and we all watched it on the DVD this past year. It's one of my favorite all-time TV shows.

My dad, sister, and I went to see Paul Feig (the creator) this summer at a book signing/reading and he talked about what the future plans for F&G were, including Neil in show choir and Kim getting pregnant. I think it should have at least lasted two or three seasons, one was not enough.

sith_killer_99
10-30-2005, 07:42 AM
WOW!!!!! Another NOWHERE MAN FAN!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!

Yeah, Nowhere Man was the ultimate "Conspiracy Theory" show. It finished one full season as I remember. They did "end" the show with it's surprising final episode, but it was left open for more. I really wish it had been picked up for another season.

The opening of the show was narrated as such:

"My name is Thomas Veil, or at least it was. I'm a photographer, I had it all: a wife, Alyson, friends, a career. And in one moment it was all taken away, all because of a single photograph. I have it; They want it; and they will do anything to get the negative. I'm keeping this diary as proof that these events are real. I know they are... They have to be. "

How cool is that?

This series is due for release in December! Stats say it will have 9 discs with 25 episodes. Here's the link for more info:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releaseinfo.cfm?ReleaseID=5294

:thumbsup:

Oh, and here's the official site:

http://www.nowheremandvd.com/

BTW, Tru Calling has finally been released on DVD Season One and now Season Two. I really loved this show and wish it would get picked back up. It seems a no brainer with all the other paranormal programs that have hit this year! Anyway, for all you Tru fans out there the Season Two set I bought from Best Buy has an unaired final episode with a Christmas theme. I really enjoyed the final episode, but it left me wanting more.

scruffziller
10-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Alright!!!!! I am definately putting that on my Netflix que.

BlueSnags
10-31-2005, 12:24 AM
THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO (my all-time favorite TV show)...should've NEVER been cancelled!!! That show ruled.

jeddah
08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Okay, just killing time over the past few days reading old threads and seeing what is what as I am Summer break from teaching. (and avoiding the rather tumultuous affairs involving petrol bombs in my neighbourhood, but anyway)

It's funny that the early posts mention Family Guy which has gone on from strength to strength. Since then I have really enjoyed V, The Event but most of all (ducking down in a flame retardant suit) Caprica which I thought was sublime and took the BSG universe in a totally unexpected place. I loved the acting, especially Amanda Greystone. I find it so confusing that they keep dreadful vampirotica shows going and going and <yawn> going. I saw a documentary on Sky Arts the other days which said that Sci Fi is the most popular genre on TV and Cinema. Now, I can sort of go with that for the movies, but on TV? That can't be right, surely??

What do you think? Do they mean popular as in 'the most shows produced' or as in 'the most demand for'?

jeddah
NP - Zombie - Fela Kuti

sith_killer_99
08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles!:dispirited:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-09-2011, 12:12 AM
What ever happened to Fast Lane? That show was HOT!!They moved it to Friday when they cancelled Firefly, and I don't think it lasted more than that season. A few years later it was being shown on G4. LusiferSam hates Firefly for hurting Dark Angel (a show I also liked), while I hate Fast Lane for replacing Firefly.

I was also a Nowhere Man fan. Another one that was cool was The Visitor. Sarah Connor Chronicles was good. I wish Lone Gunmen would have lasted longer. I liked those characters.

El Chuxter
09-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Boardwalk Empire.

Just being pre-emptive.

sith_killer_99
09-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Boardwalk Empire.

Just being pre-emptive.

FU! They better not cancel this show, it's actually pretty good and I am looking forward to the new season!

I still miss TSCC! :sad:

El Chuxter
09-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I love the show, which is why I expect them to kill it off prematurely. The network executives have it out for me for some reason, and the road is littered with shows that were my favorites before they were killed off. Heck, they even canceled Deadwood without actually having a reason. I even did a survey about a pilot that would've been the funniest show on TV a few years ago, and I think they set up the whole survey just to find out if I'd like the show or not so they wouldn't have to bother airing it if I did.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Only one that comes to mind right now, from days of yore, was Amazing Stories. Just too far ahead of its time, I guess. Like The Young IJ Chronicles.

JediTricks
09-12-2011, 01:39 PM
They moved it to Friday when they cancelled Firefly, and I don't think it lasted more than that season. A few years later it was being shown on G4. LusiferSam hates Firefly for hurting Dark Angel (a show I also liked), while I hate Fast Lane for replacing Firefly.

I was also a Nowhere Man fan. Another one that was cool was The Visitor. Sarah Connor Chronicles was good. I wish Lone Gunmen would have lasted longer. I liked those characters.Firefly was canceled before Fox even aired it, so it couldn't have hurt Dark Angel too much, especially when Dark Angel took over the slot and was bleeding off 1/3rd of its audience. Dark Angel was hurting because the second season story arc was weak and they threw too many new characters into the mix, making it lighter and less post-apocalyptic. Even Logan was walking again, it wasn't as good.

I also liked The Lone Gunmen, and hated the ending they came up with on The X-Files.