PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Site-Updated Information

Darth Alex
02-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Hasbro's Star Wars site just put up a Q & A regarding the summer/fall releases.

What's interesting is the 12 OTC vintage-style have 1 change: a Stormtrooper will be release in the ROTJ wave instead of the Han that was listed on the mock-up card back seen at Toyfair.

I find the line about the New packaging covering all fall releases very interesting. It seems they will designate OTC figures with an extra packaging sticker/logo, but I infer from the comment that Prequel figures will still be made....?
I dunno, maybe I'm reading into it, but I take it that the WHOLE fall line will have the new 'Black' packaging. It doesn't make sense that with the OTCSE DVD Box coming out...why would Hasbro keep making Prequel stuff? Believe me, I'll buy Prequel figures and hope for more, but I just don't see them being done...:ermm:
I also found it cute that Hasbro recanted the new poll as being for the Fan's choice....read it, it's classic Hasbro:sur: . It seems they made a mistake and this new poll has nothing to do with the Fan's Choice. Nice to see them acknowledge both the mistake and the plans to keep offering new Fan's choice figures in the future...

Any thoughts, everybody...?

Darth Alex
02-27-2004, 10:57 AM
BTW, call me loose with the $$$, but the fact that we ARE GETTING A SA Stormtrooper finally is sweet, sweet news:crazed: .
Yes, yes, I know these are gonna be $9.99 at Wally World, and yes, the thought of $10-a-POP to buy a figure I REALLY-REALLY want hurts when these could be eventually issued on a non-jacked up price card, but I will buy many.
Many I say!
I can think of better things to do with $100-$200, but hey, if these are as good as I'm hopin, well I'm sure I'll buy quite a few.
Sooooo...how many Stromtroopers of this price and quality:rolleyes: is everyone planning on buying???
If this figure will ONLY be on this card and it's great, I'll pick up 10-20 pending on if I get back to making dioramas.
If it will get a general release around $5 or will the figure will be in some sort of 4 pack army builder set, then I'd only get a pair just to have when they finally show...

Turbowars
02-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Toy Fair Questions and Answers

Question: Who are the 12 characters in the Vintage figures waves? And when will they be available?

Answer: www.starwars.hasbro.com (http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/) will be doing a weekly spotlight on each of these figures starting in the Spring. However, the 12 figures will be:

Wave 1: Luke, Obi-Wan, Han Solo, Princess Leia - Planned to be available in July
Wave 2: Darth Vader, C-3P0, Yoda, Lando Calrissian - Planned to be available in August
Wave 3: Stormtrooper, Chewbacca, R2-D2, Boba Fett - Planned to be available in September

Question: How will the Vintage figures be distributed?

Answer: Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys ďRĒ Us, among others, are all planning to carry them in multiple ratios.

Question: Are there multiple line looks for 2004? Iím confused between the blue packaging and the stuff I saw coming out in all the Toy Fair coverage.

Answer: Itís simple. The new black and silver packaging is our new line look for all Fall products. Product that is from the original 3 movies also gets an OTC logo. Other product (i.e., the Yoda lightsaber) only gets the black and silver look.

For example, the basic figures will be in the black and silver cards with a scene-specific graphic in the background and the full-size blister. Figures will include the Dagobah and Bespin themed waves, as well as re-releases of many core characters. We anticipate that many new fans will be looking for toys after watching the DVD.

The "vintage" figures will be packaged in the reproductions of the original cards from the 70's and 80's, with the big character-specific graphics and the "coffin" blisters. (These will be the 12 figures listed in first question above.) These figures have enhanced articulation and deco. The package also comes with a protective outer clamshell for added value.

Question: What is the 12" packaging going to look like?

Answer: Similar to the "vintage" 3 3/4" figures, these will come in boxes that are reproductions of the original boxes from the 70's and 80's. Each box will then fit into a contemporary box with a plastic cover to help protect the product.

Question: On the vehicles - which are updated, which are not?

Answer: The Millennium Falcon has seen significant modifications, with an enlarged cockpit area, firing front missile, and added thrusters in the back that, with the push of a button, allows the vehicle to make the jump to ďhyperspace"

The X-wing and TIE Fighter have been modified slightly to meet a lower retail price point. Similar to the basic figures, they are being reissued for those kids and fans new to the franchise.

Question: Will you have retailer exclusives this year?

Answer: Keep an eye on www.starwars.hasbro.com (http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/) for retailer exclusive updates. (As a reminder, until we announce product on our official site, speculation on exclusives is just that.)

Question: What's with Luke and that pose in the Dagobah wave?

Answer: The Luke figure in the Dagobah wave comes with an extra set of arms and head, so he does NOT always have to be posed doing a headstand. Also, the Yoda figure is meant to interact with the Luke figure (similar to the Wampa and Luke Hoth). The backpack fits on Luke and Yoda separates at the waist so that he looks correct when sitting in the backpack.

Question: Why isnít there a new sculpt option in the latest Fans' Choice Poll?

Answer: First, we should clarify a slight error in our original posting of this poll. This is not Fans' Choice #6, and there will be no burst on the package when it is released. An error was made in the editing process, and the sixth option was inadvertently removed instead of "#6". That was quickly corrected, and we apologize if anyone who had already voted would have chosen differently.

We are currently hard at work on our Episode III line for 2005. Since it takes approximately 12 months to create a new figure and the DVD was not announced until Toy Fair, we didnít have enough time to run a Fansí Choice poll for the OTC line with all new figure options.

Most of the figures in the basic line will be re-releases of figures for kids and new fans looking for toys after watching the DVDs. We thought it was an appropriate time to consider a re-release of a figure that fans have asked us about and decided to ask the fans for direct input.

We certainly plan on bringing you more Fans' Choice polls in the future.

Kidhuman
02-27-2004, 12:25 PM
If it's not a fan's choice then why the heck are we voting on it?

CrossWizard
02-27-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm happy as heck for the modern vintage Stormie, but something tells me that figure is gonna give me nightmares and trouble unless I pre-order it online.

Beast
02-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Good news all around from Hasbro. Glad to hear that this isn't really Fan Choice #6, and it's just a chance for us to decide what figure gets recarded. So hopefully we'll see a real Fan Choice #6 later this year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
02-27-2004, 01:54 PM
I'm excited to hear that we are getting a super articulated Stormtrooper, but I have yet to find a single SA Clonetrooper. Also good news about the OTC stormtrooper!

B'Omarr Monkey
02-27-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm glad that the Fan's Choice #6, turned out to be a mislabling situation. With the 12 months they say it takes to get a figure produced, I hope they give us an official Fan's Choice poll soon so that we get something new that we want before the glut of Ep. III figures come in next spring. It would be a nice way to bridge all of the OT primary character resculpts and rereales we'll be getting in the Fall, and the pretty much exclusively Ep. III figures we'll be getting all next Spring and Summer.

Banthaholic
02-27-2004, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Turbowars]Toy Fair Questions and Answers

Question: Why isnít there a new sculpt option in the latest Fans' Choice Poll?

Answer:
We are currently hard at work on our Episode III line for 2005. Since it takes approximately 12 months to create a new figure and the DVD was not announced until Toy Fair, we didnít have enough time to run a Fansí Choice poll for the OTC line with all new figure options.
QUOTE]
If it takes 12 months to produce figures, and that if they are running the OTC for the DVD release, how were they able to produce the vintage SA line. Kind've two sided on that one, Hasbro.
They are re-releasing at least 15 figures in the OTC, which implies, wither they a) didn't know about the DVD release in advance like the rest of us, and quickly put together a line. b) knew about the impending release (who didn't) and wanted to save some money, hense the rereleases.

My true question is, the way Hasbro makes the rereleases sound, it was a last minute decision, to accomodate the DVD release. Well, what if the DVD's wern't released, what did they plan to release. Nothing? Of course not, they intended to rerelease all of it from the start. A little of twisting of the truth, me thinks.

Kidhuman
02-27-2004, 09:48 PM
If it takes a year to make new figures, and the DVD wasn't announced unitl toy-fair, then how are they coming out with all these new figures? They had to have a heads up then. They could of run a fanns choice for it.

JediTricks
02-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Bantha, I think the Cloud City and Dagobah waves were what they had in store for us in that time frame.

I can just picture Hasbro with this Fan Choice poll problem:

"Hey Randy, doesn't that poll say it's 'fans' choice number six'?"
"Oh son of a #%&! You're right. Hang on, lemme call the webmaster..."
*ring* *ring*
"Uh... hel... hello?"
"Hey, this is Randy..."
(interrupting) "Andy, from Micro Machines?"
"No, damnit, Randy, from Star Wars!"
"No dude, Andy doesn't work in the Star Wars division anymore, he works in Micro Machines now. I'll transfer you, hold on."
"No! Don't! Wai..."
*click*
*ring* *ring*
(muttering) "... razafrackin' muthafatherin'..."
" This is Andy in Micro Machines, I'm not in to take your call, but if you leav..."
*slam*(muttering continues) "...farging icehole bastage..."
*ring ring*
"Yelllllo!"
"This is RANDY, calling from the STAR W...
(interrputing) "Yello?"
...ARS division! Damnit, can you HEAR ME?!?"
"Hello? Is somebody there?"
"%#$& DAMN IT!!! CAN YOU #@%$ING HEAR ME?!? THIS IS RANDY FROM STAR WARS!!!"
"Oh, hey Randy, how's it going? And why are you yelling?"
"Perhaps because you couldn't HEAR ME?!?"
"Ohhh, that! Yeah, I had the phone upside-down. Hey, weird coincidence, I just got a call for Andy, the guy who you replaced."
"... razafrackin' farging muthafatherin..."
"What was that Randy? I didn't catch that."
"Nothing. Anyway, you know that poll you just put up?"
"Pole? No, we don't have any poles around here Randy, except for the flagpole out in front of the building next to Mister Potat..."
"NOT FLAGPOLES, YOU NINNY!!! Web polls, voting, today's Star Wars Fan Choice poll!"
"Ohh, right, yeah. What about it?"
"You called it 'number six', but it's not actually a true fans choice poll, so we need to fix that."
"Fix what, Randy?"
"The fans' choice poll!"
"Oh, no problem, I already put that up."
"... I know that. There's a problem with it."
"Oh?"
"Yeah."
"..."
"..."
"Soooo..."
*growling*
"Hey Randy, do you hear a bear on the line?"
"..."
"So, uh, Rand-man, what's the problem?"
"What did I tell you about calling me that?"
"Oh, gee, sorry about that. So, what'cha got for me Rand-man?"
"The Star Wars poll..."
(interrupting) "Don't worry, I already put it up."
"I... know... that."
"Then what's the problem?"
(to himself) "... calm down, just calm down, got to calm down..."
"What's that?"
"NOTH!... I mean, nothing. Anyway, there's a problem with the latest Star Wars poll."
"No prob, I already pu..."
(interrupting) "I KNOW YOU ALREADY PUT IT UP!!!"
"oh, geez, sorry man."
"Anyway, the poll is called 'number six'."
"Yeah, so?"
"Well, it's not really the actual sixth Fans' Choice poll, we're just letting the fans choose which older rare figure they'd like to see put on the new cards."
"Sounds like a 'Fan's Choice' poll to me."
"SHUT UP!!!! JUST SHUT UP!!!"
"Wow, where's this coming from?"
"SHUT... YOUR DAMN... PIE HOLE!!!"
"Eep!"
"ANYWAY!!! So the poll shouldn't be titled 'number six', got it?"
"..."
"GOT IT?!?"
"You told me to be quiet."
*grumble* "... just take off number six."
"Do you mean I should take off choice number si..."
(interrupting) "AAAAAH!!! SHUT THE &%$# UP AND JUST DO IT!!!"
"Ok dude, number six is gone."
"... thank you!"
"Oh, no problem, Rand-man! Any time, glad to help buddy. :)"
*click*
*sobbing*
*off the hook noise*
*weeping* "Got... to... compose myself."
-hours later, when everybody at Hasbro is just going home-
"Hey Randy, did you talk to the web designer?"
"Uh... yeah. Why?"
"Well, he didn't change the title. Instead, he took down one of the choices."
"WHAT?!? Wha... what d...d...do you mean???"
"Dude, maybe you should sit down and relax for a second, those throbbing veins sticking out of your forehead don't look so good."
"WHAT DID HE DO?!?"
"Well... er... *gulp* ... instead of taking 'number six' off the title, he took off the sixth choice in the poll."
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!"
*ring* *ring*
"Hey there, you've reached the web design division, we're not in to take your call righ..."
*slam*
*POP*

Turbowars
02-27-2004, 11:22 PM
"You really are a funny guy!"lol

mark2d2
02-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Actually, I think it's very likely Hasbro didn't know about the DVD release all that sooner than we did.

How is this possible if the toys take 12 months from start to finish?

Easy! Hasbro was planning all along to do this whole retro-Vintage line whenever the OT DVDs were released. They've probably been toying with it ever since the Special Black packaging on figures such as Boba Fett and Artoo --- your basic dry-runs. It's just good business sense that they were developing this line for a while now. After all, they could have sat on this stuff for another year or two and who would have known. It's an idea that wouldn't get "stale" if it was kept under wraps until the time was right.

It also explains away some of the odd double releases we seem to be getting. The Kay Bee TIE Fighter. The OTC TIE. Toys R Us's Red Leader. The OTC X-WING.

At any rate --- I simply can't wait till this stuff starts showing up. 2004 just MIGHT be the best collecting year. Ever! In the modern era. :D

PS --- They're using the "vintage" vehicle molds to ride the wave vintage nostolgia! I just wish they'd kept the electronics in the smaller ships. Then I'd have definitely boughten those as well!

PS 2 --- The news about the "Vintage" Stormie has me very, very happy.

Turbowars
02-28-2004, 12:00 AM
ahhhh who asked ya?;)lol

AmanaMatt
02-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Ok, I hope that Stormtrooper replaced within the OTC 12 list is awsome. Of the pics show, only Vader and C-3p0 seem quite good. Yoda looks decent and the rest: ok. Does anyone think these will hit shelves? I am thinking online for the 12 OTC here.

I hope Fett is based on ROTJ, as the 300th one is an excellent ESB version. If he is, I am hoping for an accurate gun this time around.

amidalak
02-28-2004, 08:16 AM
where did you see pics of the rest of the line, i've only seen the obi, luke, han, and leia (from the back of the card)? i didn't think that hasbro had released pics of any of the rest.

Banthaholic
02-28-2004, 09:12 AM
here you go
http://thejawa.com/nuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=123

mark2d2
02-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Wow! Threepio looks amazing!

As does Vader!

Yoda? Soft goods! With a snake! Yee-Haw!

Can't wait for this line now. Totally awesome!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear about the stormtrooper. Even though I'd like a better Endor Han, they put out a trenchcoat with the accessory set in 2002. It's not the best, seeing as how it's one color and not camoflagued, but still. Too bad the SA stormie will be $10, so I can't buy too many.

I have some questions on the cards. If the cards will be exactly like the vintage ones, there might be some problems. Here's the different ways the problematic ones were packaged, according to the Action Figure Archive, with a star next to the one they will probably use (not counting the POTF series):

C-3PO
Star Wars card - I don't remember
*The Empire Strikes Back card - I don't remember (maybe)
C-3PO with Removable Limbs
*The Empire Strikes Back card - On Chewie's back (maybe)
Return of the Jedi card - On Chewie's back
R2-D2 with Pop-up Scanner
The Empire Strikes Back card - On Hoth with C-3PO
*Return of the Jedi card - On Hoth with C-3PO

I guess C-3PO's not much of a problem, but the one on Chewie's back would look kind of dumb. The only time R2-D2 was on a ROTJ card was when the ESB scanner version was rereleased. But this would look dumb, since he's pictured on Hoth. The only ROTJ picture was during the POTF era when Pop-up Lightsaber version was on the card where he's messing up on Endor. I wonder how he will be packaged?

Also with Boba Fett, for ROTJ he was on the card where the painting of him is pointing the flamethrower at the front, which looks weird as it is a painting, and also on the card where he's pointing at Luke on the Skiff but the bottom half of the picture is poorly airbrushed and also looks weird.

Beast
02-28-2004, 12:46 PM
C-3PO will probably be the on Chewie's back version. Since this version hopefully is one with removable limbs. Since that would fit ESB the best. What with him appearing in pieces in most of the movie. Hopefully the lower leg is removable as well. Since I really want a C-3PO from the Falcon at the end. :)

R2-D2 should hopefully be the POTF card. Since the figure is 10.00, this would be a perfect time for them to give us a cool battle damage version with all his doors and tools. Since it would fit with his POTF card perfectly, as you said that's pictured on the card. That's atleast what I'm hoping for. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Funny, I've been wondering a bit about the cards myself.

Threepio is NOT a problem. If he has removable limbs, then he will go on the second Empire Strikes Back card with Chewie. If he does not, and the new photos out today seem to suggest this, then he will simply be on the first ESB card --- which is the same as the original 12 back other than the film logo change and losing one of the silver "race tracks."

As for Boba Fett --- I predict they will go with the painted flame option. A) It's actually a pretty cool painting in a retro cheesy way. And B) This was the image they used of him for all three films. And is more iconic.

Now we come to R2-D2. Yeah, this guy is more problematic. Your points about Hoth are well taken. (Though the photo isn't THAT obvious it's Hoth, I mean, the background is very, very blue.) Personally, I hate the POTF card. It's just kind of ugly. (Smaller picture, way less cool logo. Yuck!) Notice it doesn't say ROTJ anywhere. . . Also, it's problematic as it would introduce the Coin issue. And doing only one Coin in the line, would look kinda dumb. All in all, this card would stand out like a sore thumb. So, by mere default, it'll be the ROTJ card with the ESB photo. Or --- and here's the route I REALLY hope they choose to go --- they could just CHEAT. Fudge things by using original generic Artoo pic from his initial release and build and otherwise accurate ROTJ card around it. This could actually be quite interesting as it would present a Vintage Card that has never existed previously. And, depending on which Artoo Detoo they chose to put out, just truly might be the best bet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah . . . I personally like the POTF card the best, but I think it'd be better if they stuck with the cards from the three movies. I could see them putting it on either the regular ANH card or the POTF card, but the ugly-*** ESB/ROTJ card is the only one that is true to the old line. I just hate the picture, it looks like he scared the s*** out of C-3PO with his scanner or something, and he only used the scanner on Hoth.

Anyway, here are the R2s I think they should still make.
Attack of the Clones (not in the OT, but still)
*R2-D2 (Goenosis Droid Factory) with Booster Rockets and Datalink. The things are either removable or permanently attached to his legs, just not with the stupid feature. His legs need to be able to move back a bit. I think it's would be cool if he had a rocket effect like Carkoon Boba Fett, but a taller one (since he was higher off the ground). And he should come with the base depicting the part when he hotwired the thing to get Padmť down, and the thing Padmť couldn't get out of (and make it an Ultra figure). When a button is pushed, a door opens and a datalink could either come out or be connected to a hole behind the door and plug into the base.
The Empire Strikes Back
*R2-D2 with Sensorscope, Fire Extinguisher, and grabbing arm. The sensorscope would pop out when either his head was turned or a button was pushed. Another button would open a door, one for a grabbing arm that could be attached to a hole right behind the door and another for a fire extinguisher effect to be added. So this figure could be on Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin, or the Falcon.
Return of the Jedi
*R2-D2 (Tatooine Rescue) with electric shock and pop-up Lightsaber. The shock would be a small thing that could be added to an open door for Leia's chain or Teebo's butt. When a button is pushed or his head is turned, Luke's saber could come out a bit. I don't want it to shoot out unless it's only the hilt, but that won't happen for safety concerns, so I'd rather it just be removed manually after it comes up.
*R2-D2 (Endor Shield Bunker). This would be the one from the POTF card. When a button is pushed, all his doors and things open. I doubt they could make it, so it'd be better if they just sculpted him with all that stuff already out or open. Little smoke clouds or explosions could be attached. As you can tell by now, I'm a fan of effects. :D Too bad they haven't used any in a while.

CrossWizard
02-28-2004, 08:01 PM
You forgot some important R2's, like "Door closes in front R2D2" with a Bespin door that shuts when you place the figure on it's base, preventing it from following Luke or "Fall off Jabba's Sailbarge R2D2" with an actual ledge of Jaba's barge so you can push him off.

Beast
02-28-2004, 08:29 PM
There's also R2-D2: Death Star Trench Battle Damage. That one would be one of the other R2-D2's that never get any love. Toss him in a 2-Pack with one of the Rebel Base Technicians from ANH. And you have a sweet 2-Pack. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-29-2004, 11:59 AM
There's also R2-D2: Death Star Trench Battle Damage. That one would be one of the other R2-D2's that never get any love. Toss him in a 2-Pack with one of the Rebel Base Technicians from ANH. And you have a sweet 2-Pack. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
I always forget that one! They should also give it some of those ladders from the accessory set that got cancelled and a thing to lift him in and out of the X-wing.