PDA

View Full Version : Justice League revamped into Justice League Unlimited!!

Beast
02-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Saw this news elsewhere, and I know that a lot of folks like the series. It appears that the current hour long episode design is being changed into half hour adventures instead. Though some of the guest stars that are going to be brought in should please a lot of the old comic fans. Characters like, Booster Gold, Hawk & Dove, Elongated Man, The Question, Mister Miracle, Big Barda and Zatanna. :)

Justice League Unlimited:

The heroes of the Justice League return in August with a new series, Justice League Unlimited, which incorporates a bold new look and a much larger scope. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern continue to lead the universe’s most powerful superheroes in an effort to stop criminal plots and alien threats that endanger the universe. Now, in Justice League Unlimited, they are joined by an even greater collection of heroes some of whom are well-known, like Supergirl, Green Arrow and the Atom, as well as some that are less familiar, like Booster Gold, Hawk & Dove, Elongated Man, The Question, Mister Miracle, Big Barda and Zatanna. Each half-hour will tell a power-packed story, combining some of the original heroes with new ones as they band together to battle alien invasions, powerful sorcerers, vast shadowy conspiracies and even ancient gods.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
02-27-2004, 05:56 PM
It sounds like theres going to be some great supporting cast members, ie. Zatana, Hawk and Dove, Green Arrow, etc. But i like the show being an hour long. Now they will have to try and squeeze all of this "Action" into a small half hour show. I will definately still watch, but am a tad bit disappointed in hearing about the half hour shows.

Kidhuman
02-27-2004, 07:30 PM
I watched this show once and didnt care for it. What is with Wonder Woman flying? For all I care, it should be canceled.

JediTricks
02-27-2004, 08:11 PM
First off, adding "Unlimited" to the title is almost guaranteed to bring it crashing down (Spider-Man Unlimited, anybody?), but they've been futzing around with this series too long as it is. Putting it on Cartoon Network hurt its chances to begin with, then having the format be half hour shows that are nearly ALL cliffhangers (the promise was nearly every ep in season 1 would be a 2 parter, with several being 3 parters as well) was going to alienate every other episode's casual viewers (as well as give semi-regular viewers less reason to watch the first episode), then CN destroyed any loyal viewer base by screwing with the timeslot nearly half a dozen times, many without warning, and running hard-to-follow rerun times. Then there was the matter of only having a handful of Justice League members, and recycling powers such as flight and strength through 5 of the 7 regulars (WW, GL, Hawkgirl, Supes, and Martian Manhunter all have those same powers, and some of them have others as well). Finally, switching over to the hourlong format seemed to work pretty well, but by then it was pretty much lost anyway as nobody could remember what time it was on and if they had seen new eps recently or not.

Don't get me wrong, adding new heroes and other regulars should have happened much earlier in the series, but unless Warner Brothers stops chickening out on this series and starts airing in on their WB network channels' "Kids' WB" block, the show is destined to stumble.

kool-aid killer
02-27-2004, 08:41 PM
I like the show a lot but have to agree with JT when it comes to the time slot. Its a pain to follow this show. When i first watched, it aired on Saturday at 11, and again at 9 in the night. Then it flipped to just the 9 showing. That went away a couple of weeks ago and it started to air Mon. through Thur. at 9. That went away and it airs currently Mon. through Thur at 9:30. The double epsiodes were a bit of a waste. Some went on for far too long it seemed. Hopefully with the addition of Unlimited to the title, the show will get a consistent time slot.

plasticfetish
02-29-2004, 03:18 AM
I like the show too. I dunno, does it really have a regular time slot? I watch it when I see that it's on and enjoy it well enough. I like the hour long format and the style of the show. Incorporating a "bold new look" sounds like nonsense to me. "Unlimited" sounds like some junior executives big new idea for the year... simply silly. It's a good looking show, changing it too much may lose me. Bringing new characters in sounds like a great idea though. Why they can't simply evolve things in a good way, without some big song and dance I'll never know. (Well, I do know, but...)

scruffziller
03-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Yea it has made me mad that I would have missed the second half because the Replay was off or something because of timeslots. Or they started new eps and missed them and haven't been able to find them again.:frus:

Dr Zoltar
03-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Had the pleasure of taking Dave Johnson, an animator for Justice League, to the airport from the Emerald City Comicon con last Sunday. Nice guy. He said that the new JLU should be pretty exciting chocked full of special guests and surprises. Sorry, can't reveal much more than that!

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Watched the first ep of this last night, a self-contained half-hour ep focusing mainly on Green Arrow. Lantern has changed his hair, now he's bald and has a goatee (evil GL? ;)) and the Watchtower and Javeline are all different (the Watchtower was destroyed at the end of the JL toon when Hawkgirl's people took over the Earth). I found it REALLY weird that the title sequence featured Supergirl more than any other character (by 2 to 1 in some cases!) and she's not even a true main character. The art is slightly sloppier than JL, but nothing disasterous - most of the character designs are identical to the JL show (except the aforementioned hairstyle issue on GL). I found it good enough all around, but the music really REALLY sucks so bad.

-Durge-
08-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Who is that white guy in JJB pic?

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me, "good enough all around." I miss the longer format, as the show seems a bit rushed, but it's not terrible. I agree that the animation doesn't seem quite as tight, but I wasn't studying too closely. Mostly I was looking to see how they'd deal with introducing us to new characters as well as telling a story in a half hour -- minus all of the commercials.

So yeah, I'll keep watching. The music really is lame though, I hope it gets better or goes away.

kool-aid killer
08-02-2004, 12:55 PM
At what time did it air? I havent been watching Cartoon Network for a while so i hadnt seen any promos for upcoming episodes. Im eager to see some new episodes, ive liked most of what ive seen of this cartoon series. I even enjoyed the movie with Hawkgirls people invading the Earth. Hopefully i can catch the next showing.

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 04:30 PM
It was on at 5pm Saturday, here in on the west coast. I'd check over at cartoonnetwork.com (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com) to see when it's on next for you. (It says Saturdays 8:30 pm e/p.)

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Someone pointed out to me that Hawkgirl is not in this new league even though she's in the pic at the beginning of this thread, I hadn't even noticed while watching the show. She didn't add much anyway I thought, so no huge loss.

Who is that white guy in JJB pic?You mean the guy with the red burst on his chest 2 characters right of Supergirl? That's "Captain" Atom, Green Arrow had a great line upon meeting him, but I won't spoil it yet.

Hellboy
08-09-2004, 09:37 PM
I usually try to watch a couple episodes back to back so I just finished the first 2. I agree the music was pretty lame and the animation did look a little worse than the old series but other than that I enjoyed them.

One thing I found interesting in the "For the Man Who Has Everything" episode was the character of Loana. I'm not sure how many of you caught that Clark's imaginary wife was a mix of Lois Lane and Lana Lang. I didn't recall him calling her by name but if he did I missed it and didn't realize exactly who she was until viewing the voice credits. Since she was voiced by Dana Delany I just assumed it was Lois so I thought I'd mention it in case it slipped by someone else too.

Speaking of the voice work I have to say I wasn't thrilled with George Eads's work as Captain Atom. He should stick to doing CSI IMO. I did however really like Eric Roberts as Mongul.

Oh yeah the new intro is pretty weak too. Probably more to do with the rock music than anything else though.

JediTricks
08-09-2004, 09:49 PM
I did notice that Supes' imaginary wife sounded like Lois' voice and looked like a cross between her and Lana, it gave me a chuckle. I don't think they mentioned her name at all.

I agree with you about Eads, he was lame as Atom and he's lucky CSI took him back after firing him last week. ;) Eric Roberts was interesting as Mongul.

BTW, I didn't initially realize that this ep "For the Man who has Everything" was a comic story (though I suspected it) and that major liberties were taken with bringing it to the cartoon, but I did feel like the story was really far more hollow than it should have been and would have made a much better 2-parter.

Hellboy
08-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Thats interesting, I had a feeling the story was adapted from a comic when I saw that it was originally written by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. It'll sure be interesting to see if they adapt more stories from comics, hopefully without having to take major liberties like you mentioned though.

Knightfall
08-10-2004, 12:49 PM
I don't much care about the show--as a matter of fact, I think it sucks--but I do care about expanding my animated DC toy universe as much as possible. The new ToyFare has pics of Green Arrow, Aquaman, Dr. Fate, the Atom, Brainiac, Amazo, and Starman, and promises 10 more new characters by the end of 2005. It's about friggin' time we get more Dr. Fate figures.

scruffziller
08-11-2004, 07:57 AM
It's all good!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything I liked about the other show but with more charachters.:)
I thought I saw several guys in the group(in the meeting)that were suppose to be villians.:confused:

What I like the most about Justice Leugue is Batman. He is the best hero on that show because he seems to be the one that is always saving the day and carrying everyone alse regardless of their physical powers. Batman has no physical powers but his mind is his power(and his bank account). And that is friggin' awesome!!!!!:cool:

Dr Zoltar
08-11-2004, 06:18 PM
I'd love to see a Jack Knight Starman appear in an episode.

SPOILER
I know which superhero gets turned into a pig this season. Was able to get that info out of one of the artists on the show.

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Thats interesting, I had a feeling the story was adapted from a comic when I saw that it was originally written by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. It'll sure be interesting to see if they adapt more stories from comics, hopefully without having to take major liberties like you mentioned though.
Wow, it did? I totally didn't notice, that would have been dead-on proof right there and it rushed right by me. :p

And what were they thinking doing this whole "new series with tons of new heroes" thing and then the 2nd ep in has only Bats, Supes, and WW??? :D

I dunno who the superhero pig is, but it's in the 6th ep.

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 10:03 PM
that crack about using only the original heroes in ep 2 went the same for 3.

I figured out why Supergirl was in the opening titles so much, apparently each ep's titles have clips from that very ep intercut with the regular title parts - what a waste of time!

Hawk & Dove was so lame I could not believe it, and using Fred Savage and the kid who played his older brother on "The Wonder Years" to play the title characters didn't even get noticed by me until the credits ran. This show already is starting to feel like a waste.

scruffziller
08-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Hawk & Dove was so lame I could not believe it.
The only thing that could come to mind was that one superhero cartoon by Robert Schmiegl on Saturday Night Live.;) :D (I'd say the name but this isn't the Rancor Pit)

JediTricks
08-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Ace and Gary! :D Yeah, I totally see that, especially the way Hawk was acting and how their outfits looked.

JediTricks
08-29-2004, 08:20 PM
The pig ep was last night, it was surprisingly good. I stopped trying to figure out what Zatanna was saying about halfway through though, I already knew about her backwards-speak spells, but the Closed Captioning was next to useless and they flew by so quickly that I just couldn't keep up after a while. Not a heck of a lot of action, but I don't consider that a drawback because it had a solid story instead.

RooJay
08-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that closed captioning was pretty useless. Apparently the guy that programmed it wasn't let in on the 'joke' and just decided to make up some nonesense words to match what he thought he heard. I think I was pretty well able to make out what she was saying at the time, though.
It was cool to see an animated B'Wanna Beast. Definitely one of DC's stranger characters. His personality seemed a bit off to me, but I've never actually read a full B'Wanna Beast comic so I'm not sure if it was just my perception that he's was mis-characterized. He was pretty cool anyway. I also really enjoyed seeing some of the other heroes pop-up finally, even if it was only just for a second or two. There were some pretty odd choices though - it was cool seeing the original Crimson Avenger in there, but why? There are so many other characters out there that could've served the same purpose that fit the timeline much better. Red Tornado's voice sounded quite a bit different to me than I'd always imagined. Was that Brad Garrett? He sounded a lot like Lobo and Kilowog.
I did love the comedic tone of the episode though, and it was pretty funny to see Batman singing "Am I Blue" on stage in front of an audience! The Medusa scene seemed a bit needlessly comedic, but Circe turned out to be a pretty cool character and I'd like to see her again. Did anyone catch the voice credits? Was that Jeri Ryan doing the voice of Circe as I'd guessed?

scruffziller
09-06-2004, 03:39 AM
I don't know......:( These last few eps seemed to be a snore. I hope it picks up again. Who is the detective with no face?

kool-aid killer
09-06-2004, 12:22 PM
I thought the Detective with no face was cool. I too dont know anything about him (that goes for most DC heroes actually, ive always been more of a Marvel fan myself) but thought he was a interesting character. Im starting to catch more of these episodes, just had to find the right time they aired so i could keep my can home.

RooJay
09-06-2004, 06:49 PM
The next one should be pretty cool. From what I hear it features Booster Gold - one of my favorites - helping out against Mordru! With definite Legion of Super-Heroes ties hopefully at least some of the 30th Century's greatest will show up as well! I also can't wait for "The Return", the upcoming Lex Luthor/Amazo episode, and I also hear the Atom starring episode premieres soon (written by none other than comics' own Warren Ellis!) as well as the first Justice League Unlimited two-parter featuring a time travel story that takes the League first to the old west (anyone who's ever read The Justice Riders knows how cool this could end up being!) and then to the futuristic Gotham City to team up with the future Batman and his team, the JLU (might remember them from the classic Batman Beyond episode, "The Call".)

JediTricks
09-06-2004, 08:03 PM
He is "The Question", and I'm told that originally he was a reporter and some trauma turned him into the skeptical superhero, and that in his comic origins he only wore a faceless-mask and had a real face underneath.

scruffziller
09-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I thought the Detective with no face was cool. I too dont know anything about him (that goes for most DC heroes actually, ive always been more of a Marvel fan myself) but thought he was a interesting character. Im starting to catch more of these episodes, just had to find the right time they aired so i could keep my can home.
He seemed to come off as to be the "Batman" when Bats was not around.

RooJay
09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
The Question was created in 1967 by comic great Steve Ditko (who also created or helped create Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, The Creeper, Hawk and Dove among others). Vic Sage was an investigative reporter in fictional Hub City. Becoming frustrated with the difficulty in bringing down the local criminal element through normal channels due to the rampant corruption in the city, he creates the persona of the faceless vigilante, The Question. Having been trained by master Richard Dragon (who has recently received his own monthly book - well worth a look if you're a fan of action comics!), he is an accomplished martial artist. Originally published by Charlton Comics, the character was later purchased by DC Comics where he has appeared in his own modestly successful monthly comic (36 issues, two annuals and five quarterly issues from 1987 to 1990), the occassional mini-series, guest appearances in various books, alongside his former Charlton comrades Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Nightshade, Judo Master and Peacekeeper in the L.A.W. mini, and frequently teams with Batman and various members of the Gotham family; most recently and notably with the Huntress. His exploits at DC Comics were most notably presented by the team of writer Denny O'Neal and artist Denys Cowan.

Any other questions? ;)

kool-aid killer
09-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks for giving me a name to put with the face (or lack thereof) JT and you too Roojay for giving me some background info on him. Justice League is probably my favorite toon on right now, but i kind of miss the days when it was just the seven of them for the most part. But i do like seeing other DC characters get some airtime, new heroes are exciting to learn about.

RooJay
12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
The last episode was bomb, yo! It was great to see all the old 'mulit-cultural' Superfriends revamped. Longshadow, the revamped Apache Chief, was an awesome character whom I hope get adopted into the regular DCU like they did with Harley Quinn; I've always had a particular affection for that character, and while Manitou Raven is cool, he's just too different to substitute. I'd love to see this guy show up in the comics, albeit with a real history rather than the implanted memories the animated character has. Hopefully the JL can find a cure for him and we'll get to see him as well as the others again. I do admit that I didn't care much for Wind Dragon, however. I thought he would have been much cooler if he were actually called Samurai and was more of a redesigned version of the old Super Friends character. The only other criticism I had was for the new "Wonder Twins" - was it just me or were both characters voiced by women?! They made it clear that Downpour was a male yet his voice sounded far too similar to his sister's. It was quite confusing at times trying to tell which one was which. They were much cooler than the original Wonder Twins, though.
Aquaman was pretty awesome in this episode as well. He seemed to be more of a core member of the team and his action scenes were pretty cool to boot. I also enjoyed seeing Amanda Waller show up and her mention of "The Squad" was a great shout out (she was obviously referring to the Suicide Squad - the government controlled team of convict super-villains that are sent on missions expected to have very low survival rates.) Nice use of Maxwell Lord as well. The best scene of the show though, was Batman's defiantly boasting to Waller after she threatens to have her soldiers open fire weapons that, as he says, "Mine are bigger".