PDA

View Full Version : 2 years 1 month and 2 days...

sith_killer_99
02-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Smoke free and counting.

So, the other day I walked by someone smoking a cigarette and thought to myself, wow...I want a cigarette! After 2 years I still get urges, but I guess when you did something for 9 years, it's hard to let it go.

To be honest, if it wasn't sooo bad for me, and my family, I would light up again in a New York minute! In fact, I have decided that if I make it to 99, I will start smoking again.

Don't laugh, in this day and age it's not too unreasonable, afterall, that's still about 70 years away! :Pirate:

kool-aid killer
03-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Congrats SK99, keep it up. Its an expensive hobby (for the record i dont smoke) coupled with another expensive one (Star Wars toys) and not very good for you either. Stay strong and resist them urges.

Kidhuman
03-01-2004, 10:26 AM
SK99, those urges after a year of not smoking suckered me backin. Be careful my friend.

DarthBrandon
03-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Congrats on your two year plus mark my friend, I know it's hard because I've tried to quit as well, but never made it that far. Did you quit cold turkey? If you did that must of been real hard at first, LMK your secret.

Congrats again

TC & Peace

sith_killer_99
03-01-2004, 11:09 AM
The Army has a smoking cesation program, they paid for the patch(s) and all my other "stop smoking" aids. There is a big push to reduce smoking/smokers in the Army, it affects readiness and productivity (though, there are cases for and against the "productivity" debate).

Every time I get the urge to smoke I just think about my daughter, she's why I quite. I stopped smoking the day she was born. My wife quite while she found out she was pregnant. I didn't smoke around her, but she could smell it on me after she quite. She did quite cold turkey!

My family has a history of emphyzema, it killed my grandmother at age 67, and my mom has been diagnosed with it as well as COPD and a bunch of other health problems. She finally quite right before Christmas, it was her gift to the family.

Beast
03-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Congrats, SK99. I know how hard it is to quit. My mother was a smoker since she was 16. She's now 85 years old, healthy as a horse, and she's been smoke free for 5+ years. We were really proud of her when she broke the habit. You think after 9 years it was tough to quit. Try being used to something for so many years, and then quitting. It's hard for everyone, but thankfully you saw what it was doing to yourself and others. Bravo man, bravo. Glad to see that you wanted to be sure your daughter wasn't exposed to the filthy habit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
03-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Yes, Congratulations on quitting SK99! Don't give in though, keep those positive thoughts about your daughter in mind. You have to be an example for her, and as a father I know that things that I do around my son, will influence what he does as he gets older. Right now he and I are working on getting me to quit drinking Diet soda. It sounds harmless, but if I doon't have at least 2 sodas in a day, I get pains in my stomach, almost like withdrawel from a drug, or smoking. You've made it this far, keep up the good work, and maintain a healthy lifestyle so you can be around for your important times to come in your daughters life! I'm also proud of your wife for giving up smoking when she found out she was pregnant.

silentsteel70
03-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Yes, Congratulations on quitting SK99! Don't give in though, keep those positive thoughts about your daughter in mind. You have to be an example for her, and as a father I know that things that I do around my son, will influence what he does as he gets older. Right now he and I are working on getting me to quit drinking ...Diet soda. It sounds harmless, but if I doon't have at least 2 sodas in a day, I get pains in my stomach, almost like withdrawel from a ...drug, or smoking. You've made it this far, keep up the good work, and maintain a healthy lifestyle so you can be around for your important times to come in your daughters life! I'm also proud of your wife for ...giving up smoking when she found out she was pregnant.
First of all WAY TO GO SK99!!!
I quit for 3 years and 3 months, then I flew to the states and lit up as soon as I got outa the airport!! that was almost 4 years ago...and I am still trying to quit again! So beware the dreaded weed (tabacco) I have found it harder trying to quit the second time, the first time I did it cold turkey, this time I think I am gonna need some serious help..I can get down to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day...and I think I am gonna crack it this time!...then they creep up to where I was before :cry: .. but you have inspired me to try again SK99...the ciggies (or ***s where I come from!! LOL) are going in the trash!!

dr_evazan22
03-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Congrats sk99!

Right now he and I are working on getting me to quit drinking Diet soda. It sounds harmless, but if I doon't have at least 2 sodas in a day, I get pains in my stomach, almost like withdrawel from a drug, or smoking.

My drug of choice is Coke. I would drink it like water at home, at work where ever... In Jan I resolved to not purchase anymore for home, instead only drinking water, or if I really need to have a "carbonation fix", a beer. I do still drink it at work or out to eat, but I figure I've cut caloric intake by at least 500 calories a day. And like you, I get some mean hunger pangs.

Banthaholic
03-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Congrat SK99 & keep up the good work!
I'm a marathon runner, so just the notion of smoking doesn't do to well for me anymore.

Funny story: Actually, when I started dating my girlfriend, after 2 months you could tell we were getting preety serious, although I had one problem, she smoked. I saw a future with her, although I couldn't see myself, or the future mother of my children as a smoker. So, I gave her an ultimatum. She had a choice, either quick in a month, or find a new boyfriend. Yes, I know it's harsh, but I knew that if I was to invest my future with her, I knew that I would resent her for her nasty habit.

Well she quit, been 2 1/2 years since then, and she thanks me all the time for giving her motivation to quit. When we go anywhere in public know, shes just repulsed by the smell, and wonders how I stayed with her those first months when she smoked.

When you get that urge, think of your daughter, don't give into the darkside ;)