PDA

View Full Version : Newbie desparately seeks help

ScottH
03-01-2004, 02:49 AM
Hey everyone-

I'm hoping that some of you can help me, or point me in the right direction.

I have a set of 8 12-back figures, all stored in hard protective cases and displayed on my shelf. I've just noticed that, possibly due to climate/weather changes here in L.A. over the past couple of weeks, that the glue on the right side of my 12-back Chewbacca bubble has come undone. I'm very distressed over this, and I don't know what my best course of action is.

Should I try to repair it? Wtuld trying to repair it just make it worse? The card is in great condition otherwise, and the bubble was fine last I checked a few months ago. I've owned the figure for years.

Any suggestions? Hints? Ideas?

Please help!!! :confused:

Thanks,
ScottH

Kidhuman
03-01-2004, 11:22 AM
You could try dropping some glue in there, but it might make a mess. I really don't know what else to do in that situation. How big is the opening? If it is minor, you might just leave it. If it is the whole way up the side of the card, I feel for you.

mm74md
03-01-2004, 11:47 AM
I'd agree with KH. If it's minor, leave it (lucky dog having those puppies!). If it's really bad, I'd try working with a glue stick/pen. I've seen them with really fine points before. Good luck!

ScottH
03-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the insight.

Unfortunately, the glue has come undone on the entire right side of the bubble, creeping slightly onto the top. I think it could be glued rather efficiently, but I'm don't know exactly what type of glue to use.

I'll try to post an image of the damage later. Perhaps showing the damage can provide more of an idea.

Thanks again,
Scott

Kidhuman
03-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Try using a glue stick. It doesn't smear and wont squish when you press down.

bobafrett
03-01-2004, 01:51 PM
I would just leave it, unless you are going to sell the figure, but if you do, be honest with the person purchasing the figure. You sound hough as if you intend on keeping it with your collection, and I take it that the figure isn't sealed or tied down like the figures of today, so the weight of the Chewbacca figure over time might pull the seam open even further. I guess you should go with the Glue stick option then.

LusiferSam
03-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Your figures are telling you something: Release us from these cards. You need to finish the job and open your figures. :crazed:

But seriously, I'd leave them alone if I were a carded collector. But if it really brothers you might try regluing it. Glue stick might work. Or what I might try is a little watered down Elmers glue and use a small brush to apply it.