PDA

View Full Version : March 2004: Monthly DVD Round-Up!!!

Pendo
03-01-2004, 08:32 AM
What DVDs are you planning to purchase this month?

There's just one DVD for me this month:

29th March
The Best of Most Haunted Live

PENDO!

Beast
03-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks Pendo. I didn't get the darn thing up because DVD Profiler had a massive Database choke. So I can't update my March list. Here's what's on it so far though. :)

March 2nd:
-Nothing-

March 9th:
Schindler's List: Collector's Edition

March 16th:
Married With Children: The Complete Second Season
The Running Man: Special Edition
The Last Unicorn

March 23rd:
Farscape Vol. 4.3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Vol. 7: Return to New York
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Vol. 8: Search for Splinter

March 30th:
Disney's Brother Bear: Special Edition

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Finally The Running Man gets the special edition it deserves.

"I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your God damn spine!"

Beast Wars Season 2 streets on the 23rd, and since it's a short season and priced for around $20, I may have to buy it.

2-1B
03-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Definitely School of Rock tomorrow and the Dawn of the Dead reissue whenever it comes out (I forgot when).

Probably Schindler's List as well.

Binks, what happened with Profiler ? I'm unaware of any problems. Do I need another patch ? :(

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Dawn would be next week.

I would have thought by now they'd announce the details for the box set due this year.

You might be able to find it in stores now, since some Blockbusters have already started selling it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah, just put me down for the Dawn of the Dead re-issue next week. Nothing really else excites me DVD wise this month; sad. Maybe this'll actually make me save my money.........or not. :D

Hellboy
03-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Not a really big DVD month for me.

March 2nd:
Better Tomorrow 1 & 2

March 9th:
Dawn of the Dead

One thing I noticed is the amount of individual 2 episode packs of Batman Beyond and The Adventures of Batman and Robin DVD's that are being released this month. Why can't Warner Bros. just release box sets already, starting with the original Batman TAS. :mad:

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Warner is supposed to release season sets of BTAS starting this summer. No word on Batman Beyond sets.

Hellboy
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I sure hope it does come out this summer JBF because I'm tired of getting angry every time I see all of these television shows being released in full season box-sets less than a year after the programs have aired. Us BTAS fans have had to wait far to long for this series to be released.

Pendo
03-01-2004, 05:59 PM
I didn't get the darn thing up because DVD Profiler had a massive Database choke.
Any idea when it will be back up? I'm getting withdrawal symptons from not updating my DVD list :crazed:!

Finally The Running Man gets the special edition it deserves.
Hope this will be released in the UK soon :).

PENDO!

Beast
03-01-2004, 06:21 PM
From what I'm hearing, they're trying to get it back up. One of their servers went bad, and they're trying to get everything moved over to a better one. And yeah, I'm going thru withdrawl of DVD Profiler also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Interesting. When did this happen? :)

I added a few titles over a week ago and I've been meaning to add this copy of Black Sheep which I scooped up for 9.99 but keep forgetting. I guess I'll wait longer. :D

Beast
03-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Seems to have happened the end of Febuary. Here'e the posts by the owner of InterVocative Software over on Home Theater Forum. :)

All,

Thanks for your concern. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it's not bankruptcy - IVS as a company is alive and well. The bad news is that it's not the NYT article - just incredibly bad timing for a hardware failure. Couple this with a comedy of errors involving our servers and ISPs, and we have the downtime as a result. I had held off responding, hoping to have a resolution timeframe to post, but unfortunately, I still don't have confidence enough to make any specific promises.

We will be back up as soon as physically possible - both of our ISPs are working on the issues, including bringing an entirely new server online and copying the data across. With the sheer volume of data we host, it is not a quick process under the best of conditions.

I'll try to keep this thread posted.

Thanks for your patience.

- Ken Cole
InterVocative Software
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
03-01-2004, 10:22 PM
You guys all may want to hold off on buying that Dawn of the Dead DVD. There's supposed to be a 2-disc set with lots of bells and whistles coming out in the Fall, which I'm guessing will be about the same time that the remake debuts on DVD.

I actually haven't been checking on forthcoming releases for this month, but I know I'm going to get GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA on the 23rd. The Godzilla movies made starting w/Godzilla 2000 have all been really good. I don't know what Godzilla 2000 is like on DVD as it's only the dubbed American cut, but the others all contain their original Japanese language versions.

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2004, 10:40 PM
The box set is supposed to be from 3-5 discs large. I hope they can get Argento's cut of Dawn (Zombi) in the Anchor Bay set. The Document of the Dead dvd would be sweet, too. Hope all those rumors become true.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Yeah, i know all about the SE of DOTD in the fall as JBFF and I were chatting about that daily for about a week sharing news and gettin' giggly like two girls drunk on their dad's liquor. I'm just getting this to hold me over until Fall as I never got the other DOTD release on DVD and my VHS is warn out.

I can't wait for that box set in the fall though!! wohoo!!! :D

2-1B
03-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Yeah, why can't they just do the 2 disc Dawn right away ?
IMO, Day got a wonderful release and I'd like the see the same right away for Dawn.
Oh well.

B'Omarr Monkey
03-02-2004, 07:28 PM
I get tired of the no-frills releases that are subsequently followed 6 months later by some box set with great extras. I almost picked up the Cronenberg version of "The Fly" at blockbuster a few weeks ago for $10.00, but got something else instead. It was a good choice since I learned that same day that a deluxe version is being released later this year.

At $10.00 it would not have been a catastrophe, but I think about all the suckers who bought the first release of "The Fellowship of the Ring" only to find out that if they waited 3 months there was going to be what was probably the sweetest DVD set of all time, for that movie.

Beast
03-02-2004, 07:47 PM
But I think about all the suckers who bought the first release of "The Fellowship of the Ring" only to find out that if they waited 3 months there was going to be what was probably the sweetest DVD set of all time, for that movie.
You would be wrong. New Line from the beginning has informed the customers that there were extended cut special editions of the movies coming out months after the theatrical cuts. They didn't just spring it on them from nowhere. It was a part of the marketing campaign from the beginning. So I don't consider the people that bought the theatrical editions to be suckers. Since not only were they informed well in advance, but the 2nd disc in the theatrical sets include extras not found on the EE sets. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-02-2004, 07:48 PM
And after King Kong is completed, Jackson is releasing the LOTR films in a boxset with better high def transfers. But this is the way of the DVD format, I suppose.

evenflow
03-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Married With Children and Brother Bear for me.

2-1B
03-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Add Shattered Glass to my list - I'm gonna buy it blind. :)

Today I scooped up School of Rock and on a RARE stop at KMart I was fortunate enough to secure a pre-street copy of Dawn of the Dead. :)

Beast
03-03-2004, 04:18 PM
More on DVDProfiler being down. Hopefully things get rectified soon. :)

DVDProfiler database confirmed only temporarily down...

We have all been a little concerned because of the sudden disappearance of our collections this past week. Finally a posted note on the problew. whew
Looks like the InterVoactive folks are frantically trying to bring it back up.
For our comfort, here's a copy of Jesse's post:

"Hi, yes I'm the Jesse Slicer of InterVocative Software. I'll cut right to the chase. Our server got hit hard with some strange network resource-consuming something or another. The web is not functioning, our email is not functioning, FTP is not functioning and our remote administration is not functioning.

We are working closely with the very helpful folks at SkyNetWEB and they determined that we need to reinstall the operating system. The good news is that it is on a completely different physical drive than all of our data and you can rest assured that none of the web or collection data is affected.

With response to John St, our server is not co-located with them yet. We have a dedicated server with them but within a month will have a much better co-located server designed from the ground-up to scale very well with respect to the future of DVD Profiler and other products we have plans for.

Apologies to everyone for any downtime and we hope to have everything smooth again in the next day or two. We'll be playing catch-up on a bunch of stuff this weekend, so I thank you in advance for your patience. "

Happy Collecting,
Looks like life is still good.
Bill
(PlanoLogic)
www.BrowseDVD.com

Beast
03-04-2004, 11:57 PM
A bit more about the DVDProfiler situation. Note that this has not been confirmed as of yet, so take it with a grain of salt. This news is a major blow to DVD fans who have enjoyed the program. If it does indeed turn out to be true. :(

Hello all, I imagine this post may be deleted, but I cannot bear to keep my silence any longer. Let me just say for the record that I do not work for Intervocative Software nor do they have any knowledge or control of my actions here.

The IDSA has issued them a demand for all copyrighted images to be taken offline. Since this is a major part of their program, and the major reason individuals have been paying money for the "premium" version of their program, they have hired legal representation and are currently trying to figure out a way to bring their site and program back, and keep the value there for "premium" customers. If and when it does come back however, it will likely be without the "cover scans."

They have been keeping this under wraps but at this point it looks grim for users of the program who like to download the cover images. They will probably make this public very shortly anyway.

I apologize to Intervocative Software about my posting, but I do believe you have been doing your loyal customers an injustice with the misleading message that you currently have posted on your site, and they deserve to know what is happening.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
03-05-2004, 03:07 AM
I REALLY can't see that being true IMO. I hope it is not ture anyway :rolleyes:.

I think it's just server problems :).

PENDO!

Beast
03-05-2004, 03:23 AM
Well, several of the studios lately have been making a stink about their artwork. Especially sites making money off of using their artwork. And DVDProfiler was selling premium subscriptions with High-Res cover scans. So it's possible. I hope it's bull. Plus, someone was mentioning over at HTF, that DVDProfiler was going to stop accepting artwork that was watermarked by DVD sites. Since there's been some possible stink raised about that. So they could be searching the database and deleting any images that include watermarks. I just hope they're back up soon. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrhat
03-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massicre 2003 March 30th!!!!!

B'Omarr Monkey
03-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Add Shattered Glass to my list - I'm gonna buy it blind. :)

I just watched this tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit. I recommend that Hayden choose a lighter character to play in his next movie. His performance here was really good, but there was a lot similar to how he played Anakin. The other performances were all excellent as well.

Beast
03-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Further news on DVD Profiler. Yes, the above story was indeed false. Here's the latest closed news and the update on when the program will be up and functional again. :)

Temporarily Unavailable

DVDProfiler.com is temporarily unavailable. We experienced a serious hardware failure and are working to resolve the issue.

Our new servers are in place and in the process of configuration and restore. As portions are reinstated and tested, they will become available.

Restore of full functionality is expected by end of day Monday.

Thank you for your patience and concern. Please be assured we are taking the necessary steps to prevent future service interruptions.

With kudos to Sonja for a very imaginative story, let me say that if we have legal problems, it's news to me.

We have been adamant in our support of copyright protection, refusing to include spines in our cover images, and prohibiting bootleg titles in our database. We have no plans to eliminate cover scans from our premium features. The studios have been supportive of our efforts, with many pre-release titles added by studio employees directly.

Future enhancements to our copyright protection are planned, but they will not significantly impact owners of the original DVDs, and they're completely unrelated to our server issue.

The main reason for our extended downtime is that we were forced to have our old server shipped to us for repair before we could access the current data. That is done, and the copy/reinstalls are well under way.

- Ken
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Great news, Binks ! :)

Thanks for the SG review, B'Omarr. :)

Yeah, I'll probably get the unremarkable TCM'03 just to complete my collection. :rolleyes:

Beast
03-06-2004, 10:24 PM
DVDProfiler seems to once again be working for me. Not sure if the server issues have been fully fixed, or they just are slowly bringing some of their features back online. I was able to download the latest update so far. So good luck folks. I'll update if everything goes peachy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I'll probably get the unremarkable TCM'03 just to complete my collection. :rolleyes:

I preordered that, too. The $30 set, but I'm not too sure why I did.

Hellboy
03-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Well I didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread concerning this question so I figured I'd post it here.

As most of you are aware of by now the Divimax edition of 1978's Dawn of the Dead came out this week. I was going to get this DVD mainly for the re-mixed sound and new transfer figuring it would be the "director's cut" but unfortunately its the theatrical version. I own the DC version on laserdisc (which is approximately 15 min. longer) so sadly I passed on the purchase of the DVD. I know the rumor is Anchor Bay will release the movie again later this year with supposedly all 3 cuts of the film but does anyone know what the differences between the "director's cut" and the "Argento cut" are?

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2004, 06:18 PM
The main difference to note is that Argento cut a lot of the slower movie scenes out and his music is different. Argento has Goblin do the soundtrack. Zombi is a faster paced film, and very action oriented. Think of it as all the great gore from Dawn set to Italian punk music.

Hellboy
03-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info JBF. I for one enjoy the slower scenes so I guess the director's cut will probably remain my favorite version. I know Argento used Goblin on several of his own films like Suspiria, which by the way is one of my favorite horror movie scores, but on my laserdisc Romero, Argento, and The Goblins are credited with the score. Are The Goblins and Goblin one in the same?

James Boba Fettfield
03-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Venturing a guess, I'm going to say it's a mistake on whoever typed out that name. The band were talking about is known as just Goblin.

I did a search for The Goblins and it is a band. It appears they formed sometime in the 1990's, but they're not the Goblin band from Argento fame.

In conclusion, the band name The Goblins incorrectly listed on your laserdisc is supposed to be Goblin. As far as I know, this other band called The Goblins never had anything to do with horror film soundtracks.

Hellboy
03-11-2004, 06:47 PM
I figured that might be the case. I read the names off the back of the disc jacket so out of pure curiousity I just threw in my LD to see if the credits listed them as just Goblin or The Goblins. For whatever reason the credits say Music by Dario Argento and The Goblins. Strange.