PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of "One Pose Figures?"

Jayspawn
12-10-2001, 03:03 PM
Sometimes I really like these, sometimes they are a big pain in the tush. What do you guys think of them? I mean you can only do so much with them. Sure they are great for scenes and all.

Do you like figures with a neutral stance like X-Wing Luke, Bespin Guard, Duros, Tessek? Or "One Pose Figures" like 300 Boba Fett, Lando, DSE Han, BE Leia?

(But I love them all anyway.)

Jargo
12-10-2001, 03:15 PM
Great as statues but crap as figures. fantastic sculpting but big pooey pants of duff articulation and weak standability.

I buy them cuz they look cool but rarely put them on my shelf with the other figs so they're a bit wasted really. I prefer a neutral pose that I can do more with. Plus articulation is better in neutral posed figures like the commtech stormie and the imperial guard. Compare them to 300th Fett and you have a case in point.
it depends on why the figures were made and for which market. One posers tend to be for the colector market and neutral posers tend to be for the kids market. Hasbro were actually suposed to making these things for kids up until this year that is. Now I think they recognise the market is changed and adult collectors buy most of the stuff now. But let's not forget that 'emerging teen market' that Hasbro is SOOOOOOOOOOO keen to engage. :rolleyes: :happy:

Rollo Tomassi
12-10-2001, 03:35 PM
Mostly my figgies just stand around on the shelf looking threatening to the spiders that live in my basement apartment, so a single cool pose isn't as dreary a concept to me as it is to the nine year old who plays with his roughly and chucks them in a toy bucket at the end of the day. I'd rather be the one to choose the one pose, and, if so desired, change it occasionally, but them's the breaks. What I don't get, is why give Boba Fett a holster and removable blaster, if his arms are pretty much in that rifle grasp pose? That seems a waste of overanxiousness on Hasbro's part.

jedi master sal
12-10-2001, 03:43 PM
I fully agree Rollo. It seems that hasbro doesn't take the time to think about static poses. Some and I stress only some of the poses look good enough to want them that way forever. I personally have too many dioramas to repose but would welcome the multi-articulated figs. How about some decent knee bends so they can fit in vehicles? oh well. again we should be happy that we are still getting new figs this close to ep2.

JEDIpartner
12-10-2001, 04:00 PM
How many times have we seen a figure that looks just way too cool to be real... and then you get it home and realise it has no place on our shelves-

EXCEPT WITH THE OTHER OVERLY POSED WONDERS!!!!

I prefer the neutral posed figures that have oodles of solid articulation. No... these will never look like real people poses, but it sure beats the "frozen in time with my cape flailing all over the place hands posed in the let me at 'em stance and hey by the way my orthodontist is gonna love me because I can't stop gritting my teeth" poses like the one for Eeth Koth. For as much as I love the detailing on the 300th figure Boba Fett, you can't really do much with him unless you have him standing in some "Cloud City Escape" Diorama...

Neutral poses with more articulation... please?

bigbarada
12-10-2001, 07:15 PM
The way I see it, the reason the figures are as small as they are is so they can fit into reasonably priced vehicles. However, if Hasbro is going to pose them so they can't fit into any vehicles then what is the point of keeping this small scale? 300th Boba looks nice standing there but can he even fit inside the Slave 1? The Biker Scout looks cool, but he's useless because he can't actually sit on the speeder bike.

One pose wonders are great if you want Hasbro to decide how you display/play with your figures. But if you want to expand upon the movies and make up your own scenarios, you're pretty much screwed.

Wolfwood319
12-10-2001, 07:27 PM
IMO, if its a good pose that works for me, I like it. On the other hand, if its a pose that's a little...off putting, I don't like it.

I liked the DSE Han, the Jar Jar and the 300th Fett, but I don't like the Coruscant Guard or some of the queen figures.

If the pose is straight out of the movie (i.e. 300th Fett), and fits within a certain classification (i.e. Hoth, Bespin, Endor, etc.) I tend to like it.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-10-2001, 08:11 PM
it seems that when they make a figure with a particular pose e.g. 300th Boba Fett, it has a counterpart with a neutral pose. Lando bespin is another example as well as hoth/bespin escape Leia and the biker scout has his pose only for the speeder bike and his neutral pose. However, I do like it when they have many points of articulation like the comm tech stormtrooper too so I can pose them however I like. :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

LTBasker
12-10-2001, 09:37 PM
Hasbro, when producing those figures for the regular SW line, are forgetting two little words which apply to the regular line:

A-C-T-I-O-N F-I-G-U-R-E.

They really need to start adding articulation, then increase production a little and get Episode 1's shipping plan, sells would increase, collectors and everyone else would be happy, stuff could be found, and it would be a very successful line again.

JediTricks
12-11-2001, 12:13 AM
I prefer neutral poses with enough articulation to strike a more active pose, like my Plo Koon (http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/plo-maul); preposed figures, even ones with a little extra articulation, are usually frustrating and unappealing for me. I'd rather decide what makes a good pose than let some Hasbro designer do that for me. And I hate worthless articulation on pre-posed figures like the bicep cut joint on Han DSE w/out wrist articulation... come to think of it, a LOT of pre-posed figures have that exact same dilemma.

LTBasker
12-11-2001, 12:38 AM
Yeah, like with the POTJ Biker Scout, had they released the wave properly, I wonder how many would've actually sold with it being a 1 pose figure with only the basic articulation, it's pose isn't that great either, the Biker Scout figure I would've rather of seen, is one in a regular stance much more like the vintage one with articulated knees, elbows and swivel joint somewhere on it's arms.

The 300th Fett, with his 2nd gun, he doesn't look that great when you want him to hold both. When was he in his action pose anyways? The only time I've seen him in that pose was on his micro-machine figure, in the movie he was just in a regular stance and would put his blaster in that posisition but still be in a stance just little different than his regular one...

Hasbro needs to realize it's not just the figure we want that can immortalize one scene, but a figure that we can make immortalize several scenes.

jedibear
12-11-2001, 02:00 AM
....but I'm just happy to see the sculpts getting better and more detailed and availibity up a notch like it has been (at least around here).

While some of these so-called one-pose figures grate on people, I actually like 'em. The 300th Fett comes to mind and the forthcoming Eeth Koth (sorry, but those last two JC members Koon & Tinn, look pretty dull just standing there).

I know the army/diorama builder want to see more posability and that's great if it dosen't take away from the sculpt's look/accuracy...

jedi master sal
12-11-2001, 08:50 AM
OH I know your probably cringing at the idea. but I have had much success with customizing them and they can get into many different poses than I think Hasbro is capable of making them.(or just doesn't want to spend the money on developing). Anyway, it makes for a more divers and unique display. Of course I would only recommend this to those of you with enough money to buy at least 3 of each fig. 1 to keep in package, 1 to take out and 1 to customize.

okay back to our regularly scheduled posting....

Rollo Tomassi
12-11-2001, 08:58 AM
Quietly mumbled by jedibear
(sorry, but those last two JC members Koon & Tinn, look pretty dull just standing there).

You've obviously not cut open Plo Koon's robe or seen JediTrick's pic of PK takin care of some Sith trash...Plo Koon rocks in the action poses!

Obi-Don
12-11-2001, 09:50 AM
I want the articulated figures so I can pose them how I choose.I agree that some of the others look good,but I would rather be able to pose them my way.

jedi master sal
12-11-2001, 12:27 PM
Actually, Rollo, I have cut open the robe of both plo koon and saesee tiin, also added metal pegs for knee articulation so they can sit, kneel, run, kick. and so on.

I just haven't had the time or opportunity to click a pic of my customs or you all would see them. This was very similar to my education in college ie prop and set design (ART Institute of Pittsburgh). So, I know how to do this quite professionally.

(This is not meant with ill intent just informing you Rollo)

I for one like the static poses of the figs like biker scout because it gives me something to work on and improve. now if hasbro would take notice.

JEDIpartner
12-11-2001, 12:39 PM
YEAH!

Try articulating all those little fingers! YOU CAN'T!!!! The neutral poses are preferred by most of the people I've had the pleasure of chatting with.

jedi master sal
12-11-2001, 01:48 PM
with a little ingenuity you can make articulated fingers. use wire.make a positive mold on plaster. lay in wire as appropriate. fill mold w/latex. paint. attach to fig. (a lot of work though for something not generally needed)

jedi master sal
12-11-2001, 01:51 PM
let me correct my last post

with a little ingenuity you can make articulated fingers. use wire.make a positive mold w/clay. make a negative mold in plaster. lay in wire as appropriate. fill mold w/latex. paint. attach to fig. (a lot of work though for something not generally needed)

okay now its right

master jedi
12-11-2001, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
let me correct my last post

That's what the edit feature is for.:)

Darth Rage
12-16-2001, 03:08 AM
THey/re awesome!

They are already in an action stance, who need to play with them, displaying them is the best thing.

Imagine if they were multi jointed like GI-Goe, most of the detailing will be gone.

JediTricks
12-16-2001, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rage
Imagine if they were multi jointed like GI-Goe, most of the detailing will be gone. Did you see my post with my Plo Koon link? That figure had a neutral pose and I chose its path without it looking all gappy or skinny-limbed. Joe articulation was much different from Star Wars (though the upcoming restart line is virtually identical). Just because one line from 20 years ago had ugly articulation doesn't mean that the modern POTJ has to. Look at Obi-Wan Jedi Training, that figure's left arm has articulation you almost can't see at all at the elbow, and both wrists are articulated without any noticable point at all.

Besides, some of us want to play with our toys or at least decide how they will be posed.

Darth Evil
12-16-2001, 10:10 AM
What happened to the first E1 figure's ability to hold their lightsabers with both hands? None of my POTJ can (aside from Maul), seems like a step backwards, does Dagobah Vader?

master jedi
12-16-2001, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Darth Evil
What happened to the first E1 figure's ability to hold their lightsabers with both hands? None of my POTJ can (aside from Maul), seems like a step backwards, does Dagobah Vader?

He can hold his saber with both hands. I just put a saber in one hand and his head in the other for an instant Star Wars/Sleepy Hollow mix figure.

JediTricks
12-17-2001, 01:25 AM
Obi-Wan Jedi training can definitely hold his saber in 2 hands at once, its wrists, legs and arms are designed with a specific 2-handed saber pose in mind. I think for the "Jedi Duel" style of articulation, that Hasbro wasn't quite convinced it looked good enough at the shoulders and elbows, so they went back to the drawing board and haven't come up with anything better yet (though Jedi Training Obi-Wan is close, the elbow articulation is much better than the 90-degree stuff on the Jedi Duel figures). What's frustrating is how close they seem to perfecting this kind of "neutral pose can be 2-handed saber pose" articulation, yet they aren't moving forward very quickly there.

Obi-Don
12-17-2001, 07:58 AM
The Jedi training are the best redos they have done so far.I have got to the point where I wasn't buying the same figures because how many of one do you need.These how ever look really good and I'm glad I got them.And I like the artiulation they have too.I don't think that the Star Wars figures will ever look like the GI Joe.I would give up some movement to keep that from happening.