PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Wal-Mart?

bigbarada
12-10-2001, 08:22 PM
A little while back I was at the Super Wal-Mart here in El Paso at around 8:00 AM doing some early morning Star Wars hunting before going to work. When I walked in I noticed a large group of Wal-Mart employees clustered together next to the perfume section and paid it little mind as I made my way to the Star Wars aisle. I figured they were just having an average everyday meeting before starting the day shift.

Coming out of the Star Wars aisle with nothing but a Gungan Warrior (this was a few months ago) I headed over to the magazine section. Before I got there, though, I began to hear this rhythmic clapping. I looked up and saw all the Wal-Mart employees clapping in unison and begin to chant, "Wal-Mart! Wal-Mart! Wal-Mart!...." This went on for a good 30 seconds! Totally freaked me out!

The first thing that popped through my head was, "What kind of brainwashed, Satanic ritual is this?" It was creepy. As in "back out slowly before you get offered as a human sacrifice kind of creepy." I quickly paid for my Gungan and left the store without looking back.

I just want to know, has anyone else observed this bizarre behavior pattern in the animal we call the Wal-Mart Employee? Is El Paso just the center of Satanic Wal-Mart worshiping? I'd urge anyone with the time to spare to go and try to witness, first-hand, this totally disturbing yet hilarious ritual at your local Wal-Mart.

If you do, be sure to laugh loudly and point and maybe snap these people out of the evil spell Wal-Mart seems to have cast over them.

derek
12-10-2001, 09:16 PM
it was probably just a pep rally to get everyone pumped up about the $35 bucks(before taxes) they were about to earn.:)

LTBasker
12-10-2001, 09:32 PM
Or they, like alot of store employees, had just hidden the newest figures so that they could sell them to scalpers and they were gathered around so they could see if anyone went to the SW aisle to become dissapointed from the lack of new SW figures and the employees could get a kick out of it. So you could've just been another victim of greedy store employees.

Hard to sense the dark side is.

Magnolia-Fan
12-11-2001, 12:08 AM
Yes, I too have witnessed this ritual at my local Wal-Mart here in Iowa.

It was in the late afternoon/early evening when there are a lot of customers in the store. I felt sorry for them for being forced to do such a thing.

Suggestion:
We should find out what times they have their shift change pep rally and be there at that time so we can chant along with them.

GNT
12-11-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Magnolia-Fan
Suggestion:
We should find out what times they have their shift change pep rally and be there at that time so we can chant along with them.

How sad is that!:rolleyes: :D

When they say "wal mart over and over again reply with "Toys 'r' US","Toys 'r' US", Toys 'r' US" etc etc that will annoy them :)

hamsterboy
12-11-2001, 01:37 AM
Nah. I'd rather chant "Target,Target."

LTBasker
12-11-2001, 05:24 AM
Chant:

Wal-Mart - They'll laugh with you
Toys-R-Us - They'll be annoyed
TARGET - They'll laugh at you
K-mart - They'll be hurt.
K*B - You'll get hurt.
A scalper store name - They'll pat their wallets.

Obi-Don
12-11-2001, 09:38 AM
Our Wal-mart has gotten so sorry its not funny.Forget about Star Wars toys all together,and just about anything else you came for.Thier scanners don't work,can't find any help and when you do you wish you didn't.If Mr. Walton knew he would be doing back flips in his grave.:( :frus: :mad:

derek
12-12-2001, 04:29 PM
my walmart just got in a huge shipment of the luke and maul deluxe figures. about 50 total, the glowing skull vader wave is plentiful, luke and yoda 2 pack is everywhere, and they just restocked the han, DS trooper, DS droid wave.

you'd think the manager was a star wars fan.:)

El Chuxter
12-12-2001, 04:49 PM
I've seen this at a few Wally Worlds. Frightening.

Last time, I was in the next aisle looking at deodorant or shampoo or something like that. I was in a mean mood and, after they cheered, I said loudly, "Jeez, how pathetic is that? You'd think they just won the damn lottery."

They also cheer at Target occasionally--get there right at opening and you'll see what I mean.

Obi-Don
12-16-2001, 06:11 AM
I don't believe it.I went to Wal-Mart last night or should I say morning and I saw only two figures which I snached up.It really nocked me for a loop because they haven't had any for a long time.

I picked up FX-7 and Queen Amidala royal decoy.

I was lucky this time but I still don't hold out to much hope for this Wal-Mart.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 09:44 PM
bigbarada, I've seen this activity as well. I used to go in before school after they had just opened at 7am. They did the "Wal-Mart" cheer, but continued with chanting the store's individual ID number and following up with "our store's great great great. I've always seen it done in the Radio Grille. :)

Dryanta
04-07-2002, 04:07 PM
For those that don't know I'm a truck driver by trade.
I picked up a load of plastic eating utinsils in Wilton Maine and delivered them to A wal mart distribution center in Red Bluff California.
I get to the security gate and the guard tells me to go thru and check with recieving.The guy in there tells me which door to drop the trailer at and to disconect and pointed to an area of the yard to park my tractor."Please feel free to enjoy our drivers lounge"
Yeah OK ,any way, after an hour or so I figure I'd go find a rest room and maybe something to drink.
I go upstairs and it's empty except for a few vending machines and the much needed rest room.
After I had done my business I proceded to the soda machine.
Just as I was about to drop my first quarter in the slot there was young woman standing beside me from out of no where!!
She said " you don't want on of those.There is a much better beverage downstairs"
Now against my better judgement I agreed and followed the smiling young woman down the stairs and into the dock area.This is where all the other drivers were.An odd mixture of Owner Opertors,Company drivers and Walmart drivers.Even more oddly they were all just kinda standing there.The young woman then procedded to hand me a large disposable cup filled with what I thought was a Walmart brand soft drink.
I took a long drink as everyones attention turned me.Then the smiles started.
Oh man what have I gotten myself into.
All of a sudden I find myself smiling for no reason.Then the clapping started and I found myself doing along.Dock workers,office people and all sort of driver we were all doing it.Then the chant came from mouth.I some how knew it instictively and didn't care.I was the happiest I'd ever been in my life.
I got unloaded and went on my way.Security just gave me abroad smile as I passed through the gate and off I went.
Sam walton himself rode with me for a few days.Always telling me interesting things about the way of the universe and his part in it.He also spent vast periods of time telling me to sell my trucks and come drive for him.I could then help spread the message of falling prices and always low prices,always.
Well about the time I got to my terminal in Mnasfield Ohio It all seemed like a dream,Sam had left me back in Indiana somewhere.I 've never told this story before for fear of ridicule.
Tell your friends about my experience maybe together we stop this from ever happening again.:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

2-1B
04-07-2002, 04:23 PM
Wow, Dryanta - I almost thought you were going Jonestown on us . . . but you survived to type your story, so I knew you must have made it through, with at least some sanity intact. :D

Dryanta
04-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Just in a stupid mood today.Thought someone might get a laugh.
A Walmart joke 'bout got me killed once though.Right after they started popping up everywhere,I told my shopaholic mother inlaw that they had giant Estrogen magnets in the floors of the store to Suck in women from miles away.She didn't see the humor in it.LOL

InsaneJediGirl
04-07-2002, 04:58 PM
I've never seen this happen and knowing WM employees personally(my dad) they claim they have never had to do this..though WM does throw employee BBQs to boast morale.

Dryanta
04-07-2002, 05:16 PM
I've never seen it either.It wouldn't surprise if I did at some point.if it works for them and keeps moral high and people happy more power to them

2-1B
04-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
I've never seen this happen and knowing WM employees personally(my dad) they claim they have never had to do this..though WM does throw employee BBQs to boast morale.

:eek: Why would they BBQ an employee to boost morale? :( :( :(

:D

bigbarada
04-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

ROFL:D Good one, Caesar!

Why indeed? Hmmmmm.......:evil:

"I am the god, Tram-Law! You will bow before me and sacrifice your Employee of the Month! You will chant my name and worship all that is Tram-Law!!!":evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry.:( :sur: :D

LTBasker
04-08-2002, 03:48 AM

Have you ever seen a FIRED Wal-Mart employee walking around? I haven't... :eek: :rolleyes: :p

2-1B
04-08-2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Have you ever seen a FIRED Wal-Mart employee walking around? I haven't... :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Yes . . . at KMART ! :D . . . :rolleyes:

Hehehehe, "Tram-Law". Thanks a lot bigbarada, I'll never go to a WM again without thinking of that. :(
I'll be sure to keep my distance from any 5 Star Cashiers, they sound like a sacrifice waiting to happen. But I won't look like I'm trying to keep my distance. :happy:

InsaneJediGirl
04-08-2002, 09:31 AM
The only reason I could see it would boast morale..is..um..the part that its..food..that you dont pay for.:D :D Well,Actually,IF
you try to work at WM instead of standing out back with your buddies,your paying for it.I'm sure it comes out of the paycheck somewhere.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-08-2002, 11:16 AM
I can't count all the times I've seen that dopey chant. It freaks me out everytime. I used to work for Pizza Hut when I was in high school and if we had to do that to get hopped up for work there would be a lot of loogied-on pizzas out there. :)

I went to a Wal-Mart grand opening one time and it was even worse. The employee chanting came across as a hundred "Rain Men" jumping up and down and blabbing out nonsense. There were about a thousand friggin cases of crappy W-M soda stacked outside spelling out WAL-MART, also. Man, what a bunch of nuts.

The best employee get-together I've ever seen was once at the Cerritos, CA TRU. I went in the store along with about 10 other collectors at opening time. They were just laughing at us as we ran to the racks. Of course there was nothing new on the pegs, those bastards! :Pirate: ARRRRGH!

2-1B
04-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
There were about a thousand friggin cases of crappy W-M soda stacked outside spelling out WAL-MART, also.

That's their altar to Tram-Law ! :rolleyes:

bigbarada
04-08-2002, 05:06 PM

Yes . . . at KMART ! :D . . . :rolleyes:

Hehehehe, "Tram-Law". Thanks a lot bigbarada, I'll never go to a WM again without thinking of that. :(
I'll be sure to keep my distance from any 5 Star Cashiers, they sound like a sacrifice waiting to happen. But I won't look like I'm trying to keep my distance. :happy:

It's the least I can do, Caesar!:D Me and a couple of guys in my last Army unit came up with the whole Tram-Law thing. I even drew up a little sloppy pentagram with the WM smiley in the center. The picture hung in our office for about three days before the joke wore out and we began making fun of something else.

My brother used to work at Tram-Law, until he got so sick of it that he quit. He tried to get fired but they were too short handed. Now everytime he goes into the store his former co-workers ALWAYS ask, "So when are you coming back?" Very creepy and a little cultish.

bigbarada
04-08-2002, 05:19 PM
And just to show that no joke is truly appreciated until it has been run into the ground, here is a recreation of my "Tram-Law" drawing:

2-1B
04-08-2002, 05:33 PM
That's just . . . creepy ! :crazed:

derek
04-08-2002, 06:49 PM
speaking of boosting employee morale, i always find it amazing what a decent wage will do to improve work habits.:)

i always smile at the cheap BBQ's and christmas turkeys billion dollar companies "generously" give out. damn it, i'm sounding like a democrat!:evil:

Dar' Argol
04-08-2002, 08:28 PM
The "Wal-Mart Cheer" is a tool used to pump the employees up in the morning. The cheer varies from store to store. I personally think its just like a bunch of seals standing around going "Ar Ar Ar Ar Ar"(insert seal clapping here).

The BBQ's are usually done around the store's inventory time. Since every store has a different time for inventory, these are done throughout the year. We just had a Steak Cookout a few weeks ago for our inventory.

The best part I think is our X-Mas party. We as empolyees do have to come uop with fund raisers to get the $ to have a ggod one and WM contributes $1000 towards it. It is usually held in a nice hotel/dinning hall. They hold raffles and have door prizes. The first year I went I won a $150 Gift card to WM. Man did that pay for a lot of SW figs!!!:D

DarthChuckMc
04-08-2002, 08:44 PM
I don't work for a "super" retail store, but I do work in retail. I work at Best Buy, and we too.......have an insane cheer.
It varies from store to store. We even have more than one cheer. To start the morning off, we got the "All employees to the yellow dot" call over the PA. Then the blaring of Outkast's Bombs Over Bagdad is played throughout the store. After out morning #'s and such, we end with our cheer.
Sometimes it's "571!!!...WILDCATS!!! x3.
Other times it's "What are we???!!!!.....WILDCATS x3 followed by WILDCATS!!!! x3"
And last....."571!!!!.....FOLLOW OUR LEAD!!!!'

Luckily for me, I do Home Delivery, so I usually escape before the meetings.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-08-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
The BBQ's are usually done around the store's inventory time. Since every store has a different time for inventory, these are done throughout the year. We just had a Steak Cookout a few weeks ago for our inventory.

The best part I think is our X-Mas party. We as empolyees do have to come uop with fund raisers to get the $ to have a ggod one and WM contributes $1000 towards it. It is usually held in a nice hotel/dinning hall. They hold raffles and have door prizes. The first year I went I won a $150 Gift card to WM. Man did that pay for a lot of SW figs!!!:D

It's the least they could do for those humiliating brainwash, uh, motivational cheers. When I was at Pizza Hut all we got to do was drink all the Pepsi we wanted.

Rollo Tomassi
04-09-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
I don't work for a "super" retail store, but I do work in retail. I work at Best Buy, and we too.......have an insane cheer.
It varies from store to store. We even have more than one cheer. To start the morning off, we got the "All employees to the yellow dot" call over the PA. Then the blaring of Outkast's Bombs Over Bagdad is played throughout the store. After out morning #'s and such, we end with our cheer.
Sometimes it's "571!!!...WILDCATS!!! x3.
Other times it's "What are we???!!!!.....WILDCATS x3 followed by WILDCATS!!!! x3"
And last....."571!!!!.....FOLLOW OUR LEAD!!!!'

Luckily for me, I do Home Delivery, so I usually escape before the meetings.

Ugh. I use to work at Best Buy and remember getting up for those stupid monthly meetings at the asscrack of dawn on Saturdays, so they could hand out stupid "good job!" awards to the kissasses that worked there and the managers could slap each other on the back about how they were all gonna get bonuses because PSP numbers were up. Then they would tantalize us with promises of $600 bonuses because inventory was on par, and then the week before, when the stupid inventory manager actually started doing his job (as if by that point it wasn't too late) they found out shrinkage was at some ungodly number and if it were possible we'd have to PAY them back. Silly Best Buy.

hango fett
04-09-2002, 10:01 PM
if a wal-mart i went into did that, i would be like, "what the *beep* is going on here? a chant or a sacraficeing ritual to this dog toy they have?" LOL!
never-you-mind
hango

scruffziller
11-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Well get this. I know they charge people on the day shift a $1 to wear jeans on Fridays for the Children's Miracle Network donation. How pathetic, forcing people to contribute to a charity just to be more comfortable on 1 day of the week. I have nothing against giving money to charities, but most of the people I know there need that money for themselves first. Plus I love how they have this new program called "Good Works" and they make it look like WM employees have good financial standing to help the needy. For God Sakes, we WM employees are the needy.:rolleyes:

bobafrett
11-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Oh yes, this was the practice every Friday at the store I once worked at. Luckily I worked overnights, so I was allowed to wear jeans any day of the week. Good thing to, because almost 90% of my pants are "jeans".

scruffziller
11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
When I was on the day shift, I wore jeans all the time because I worked on the grocery side in the meat and dairy. We stocked stuff that got us dirty so it was somewhat let go. We never paid the $1 on Fridays at all. I heard around some people complained that I wasn't paying. But they were chastised when told that we wore jeans all the time. I don't know how that did it but it did.
Now they have enforced no blue jeans on days except on Fridays and you pay a dollar to the Children's Miracle Network. They do allow you to wear jeans on regular days as long as they are black denim.:rolleyes:

The "Wal-Mart Cheer" is a tool used to pump the employees up in the morning. The cheer varies from store to store. I personally think its just like a bunch of seals standing around going "Ar Ar Ar Ar Ar"(insert seal clapping here).

Actually now with the store trying squeeze blood from turnips. By having the
skinniest skeleton crew and with loads of freight coming in and with wanting no overtime(absolutely none, people have gotten in trouble for being ".01(36 seconds)" of an hour over). They have pretty much done away with the cheer on the nightshift. Which is good. Most everyone always does it way less than half heartedly. Some just stand there. I do remember doing the cheer a while back and we usually say after spelling WAL-MART out.

We go----

Whose store is it--- MY STORE
Whose number one---The customer always
What store is number one-- #1491

A friend of mine that I work with during the cheer changed it to.

Whose store is it-- The thieves store(cause we get robbed blind)
Whose number one---The money always
What store is number one---Best Buy or/ who cares

mabudonicus
11-11-2003, 11:48 AM
I just gotta get this off my mind...
The new Wal-mart ad campaign, no doubt hastily assembled in light of recent events (and a seeming shift in sentiment in the mainstream, I've heard more negative things about the company and its business plan lately than I can recall in the past) makes me mad like a cut snake...
Anyone seen any of it yet?? So far I just saw one commercial and I hope that's how it stays...
In the spot, there is some "tender" music playing and this family talking about how their child needed some procedure (transplant I believe) in order to remain alive (sorry for the syntax) and how Wal-Mart was the power that made the operation possible... there are even voiceovers along the lines of "thank god for wal mart"... the commercial made it seem like Walmart was the guardian angel of every employee.... is it really like that??? I mean, someone here noted the "target" turnover rate of 48% (is that right?)... doesn't jibe with the "no child left behind" image presented in the ad..
This is just wrong.... f'rinstance, I really wish walmart would close the 2 local locations as they have ruined our struggling local economy using their well-documented tactics...... (undercutting local businesses for long enough to put them outta business then jacking up the prices once they're the only game in town... it makes good sense, I guess, just too bad that everyone left behind gets the shaft)
So now I'm confused.... is walmart really a sort of all-powerful force for good, or are they trying to hide the reality of a cutthroat, profit-maximizing juggernaut which is lowering the overall quality of the human experience at the same time as they pat themselves on the back for being so great???
Man, walmart is evil and it'll be sweet when come-uppance time hits

Dr Zoltar
11-12-2003, 02:31 PM
You're right. Wal-Mart does indeed suck and do rely on driving smaller stores out of business. The only time I ever shop there is to get a Star Wars exclusive.

I also wonder why Wal-Mart seems to attract the scuzziest people in the area. And why oh why must they feel the need to cram the isles full of product to make it next to impossible to get around?

bobafrett
11-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Before I worked there, y friend and I would go sit inside the exit area and watch the kind of customers that shopped at Wal-Mart. Yeah, we were bored silly.

scruffziller
11-26-2003, 09:07 AM
I heard about an article that said that with all the layoffs going on now around the country, that WAL MART is one of the most safe places to work as in being able to keep your job. Good for me, but sad for the fact that a great deal other jobs can't be more secure as well.:(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-12-2003, 11:31 PM
I don't know if it was 20/20 or some other primetime news show, but they had a story explaining how Wal-Mart keeps up their consistently low prices. There are a couple of reasons, one of them is that there are many Wal-Mart stores, so they have a greater edge in terms of buying power of products. But some other reasons are nefarious (and it has nothing to do with the recent news with the employing of illegals).

Mainly, Wal-Mart strong arms it's suppliers by threatening not to buy their product unless they get the low-rate they want. Just imagine how much business a supplier will lose if they lose a mass-retailer like Wally-Mart? Also, often times they will go overseas and and buy there, just to save a few bucks. So much for Wal-Mart's pride for American made products. They also pay their employees lower hourly rates comparitive to other retail stores like Target. The story went in much more detail then I could ever give, on the clout and bullyish methods of the company. Of course, you could also mention that Wal-Mart has forced the closing of many smaller retail stores throughout the country. Yes, that's competiton for ya, but Wal-Mart is like a growing blob, gobbling up mom-and-pop businesses with its tentacles, stopping at nothing.

The story hasn't really changed my perception of the store, I knew mostly about their tactics employed before, but the story put this into light. The unfortunate part is that Wal-Mart is the only store in 20 miles that carries Star Wars figures :dis: My brother has resolved to never shop there again after seeing that report. While I may not like it, I feel however that Wal-Mart is doing what any company would do, with it's size and clout.

Kidhuman
12-13-2003, 08:37 AM
I love Wal-Mart. I can buy groceries, toys, and much more in a single trip. It is convient to me and I will not stop shoping there. Yeah, buying overseas sucks and doesnt support our economy, but what can ya do? Wal-Mart to me is the best thing since sliced bread. :D :beard: :ermm:

JediTricks
12-15-2003, 12:01 AM
I used to dig WM, but in the last few years, I've become disenchanted with them for a lot of reasons, like how low the quality of their stores and employees and merchandise has become and their stocking practices and other stuff. Now that there is a Target closer to me than ever before and they're building one even closer to that, I've found that Target has become my new WM, and their prices on some of my regular stuff is not only comparable, but also their products are generally higher quality at reasonable prices. So with all that PLUS their bad treatment of employees, I don't see how WM can continue to expect to compete.

bobafrett
12-15-2003, 01:21 AM
I used to dig WM, but in the last few years, I've become disenchanted with them for a lot of reasons, like how low the quality of their stores and employees and merchandise has become and their stocking practices and other stuff. Now that there is a Target closer to me than ever before and they're building one even closer to that, I've found that Target has become my new WM, and their prices on some of my regular stuff is not only comparable, but also their products are generally higher quality at reasonable prices. So with all that PLUS their bad treatment of employees, I don't see how WM can continue to expect to compete.

Not only that JT, but the Target stores are generally cleaner, the employees all wear matching biege pants and a red shirt making them easy to find. I find the employees at Target to be nicer than those at Wal-Mart. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

scruffziller
12-15-2003, 02:30 AM
So with all that PLUS their bad treatment of employees, I don't see how WM can continue to expect to compete.
Because there are alot of dumb, dopey, ignorant, people in the world left.:p

Banthaholic
12-15-2003, 02:34 AM
I've always found Target to be a much classier place than Wal-mart. Around my parts, when you head to Target there's always hot college chicks shopping there.

When you head to Wal-mart, there's a motley crew of people that look like they just got done shooting a Springer episode. Note, not insulting anyone this is just an example of my situation.

Another case in point example. I'm not the trendiest when come to dressing, although I do know I would never wear clothes bought from wal-mart, although even though I never have bought them, I prob would wear clothes from target.

Then it comes down to customer sevice, Target has a desk with people ready & willing to help. I tried to return a figure to Wal-mart last month on a Sat. They had one worker, when asked if they could get help, she said that she was the only one able to do this particular job in the store. Now on a busy Sat, that was shocking. I had to wait 15 minutes just to return 1 item, and when I left the line was a good 10 people long.

I do all my department store shopping at Target, the only items I allow myself to buy from WM is SW. Nothing else, never. Even if I need it & it's cheaper. I'd much rather support other local stores in my community.

Tycho
01-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Wal-Mart's average associate makes about $8.00 an hour with about 32
hours of work a week - a monthly gross of barely over $1000. This makes
it unlikely that she can afford the company's family health plan at $218 a
month or almost 25% of her gross
income. These low wages combined with unaffordable benefits have
pushed nearly 700,000 of Wal-Mart's workers onto their spouses' health
care plan or taxpayer subsidized public assistance. More information.

While women make up over two-thirds of the Wal-Mart hourly workforce,
only one-third of store management jobs and less than 15% of store
manager positions are held by women; there are only two women among
Wal-Mart's 23 senior officers. For
comparison, women comprise 56% of all managers at Wal-Mart's major
competitors. In addition, women have claimed in a lawsuit against
Wal-Mart's that the company's work atmosphere is demeaning to women.
For example, female managers were required to
go to Hooters and strip clubs for meetings and office outings. More
information.

>From 1998 through 2002 the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
has filed more than 40 complaints accusing Wal-Mart managers in more
than two dozen stores of illegal practices, including improperly firing
union
supporters, intimidating workers,
and threatening to deny bonuses if workers unionized. Of those, the board
found illegal practices in 10 cases; 8 cases were settled, and the rest are
pending. Wal-Mart Supercenter CEO, Tom Coughlin, has worked
aggressively to prevent Wal-Mart
workers from deciding for themselves about union representation.
According to NLRB complaints filed in January of 2001, Coughlin
"interfered with, restrained, or coerced" employees before an election at
Kingman, Arizona store. More information.

Wal-Mart is facing 38 state and federal lawsuits filed by hourly workers in
30 states, accusing Wal-Mart stores of systematically forcing them to work
long hours off the clock. Most recently, lawyers have filed a suit against
the
company claiming
that it knowingly hired contract cleaners at hundreds of Wal-Mart stores
who generally earned $325 to $500 for working seven nights a week,
usually for 56 hours or more each week. A July 2000 internal audit of 128
Wal-Mart stores found 127 were out
of compliance with company policies concerning workers not taking
breaks. The audit found workers nationwide didn't take breaks 76,472
times in a one week period. More than 8,000 pharmacists filed a
class-action lawsuit in August 2002, charging
that Wal-Mart owes them $200 million in pay for "off the clock" work. More
information.

Wal-Mart's vast chain has the power to squeeze profit-killing concessions
from vendors and is helping to accelerate the loss of American jobs to
low-wage countries such as China. Wal-Mart has doubled its imports in
the last five years, buying some
$12 billion in foreign merchandise in 2002. Its pressure on American
vendors to lower prices forces companies to move factories outside of the
U.S. and lay off American workers. For example, Master Lock, after 75
years of making locks in Milwaukee,
began importing more products from Asia to lower labor costs and meet
Wal-Mart price requirements. Now its 300 U.S. employees mainly send
parts to Nogales, Mexico, where 800 factory workers produce the
overwhelming majority of its locks. More
information.

"We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress
and prosperity for our community...Our ambitions must be broad enough
to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our
own." ~Cesar Chavez

sith_killer_99
01-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Who is Cesar Chavez?

derek
01-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Who is Cesar Chavez?

he's a labor activist who organized unions for farm workers.

here is a link to a mini biography:
http://www.incwell.com/Biographies/Chavez.html

what's the point of this thread tycho? that wal mart is evil? they did start from humble beginnings and only rose to economic dominance because customers want their low prices. we can't have our cake and eat it too. you can't gripe about wal mart's labor practices and at the same time eat up those $4 action figures, ya know? ;)

dr_evazan22
01-09-2004, 12:31 AM
It's kind of funny that I see this thread tonight, as today I received my monthly Teamsters newsletter. The main focus of this letter was heathcare, with a special mention of WM...

WAL-MART: Undermining the system all by itself
Could one company really escalate the health care crisis by itself? In the case of WM, the answer is yes.
WM is the largest private sector employer in the US. It employs 1.1 million workers. Fewer than half those wokers are in the company's health plan. Nationally, almost two-thirds of employess at large firms have health coverage, according to a recent AFL-CIO study. At WM, it's between 41 and 46 percent.
WM pays its workers substandard wages and makes its plan prohibitively expensive. It also finds ways to exclude many of its employees from the plan.
WM's working conditions are largely responsible for the 90,000 grocery workers currently out on strike. Supermarket employers are trying to cut costs in order to stay competetive with WM.
WM is one of the most profitable companies in the world. These profits come in part from paying workers substandard wages, providing no benefits and using contractors that hire illegal immigrants. WM makes its profits by exploiting workers and communities all over the world. In the process, it's hurting all workers and wreaking havoc on our economy and health care system.

mabudonicus
01-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Are we allowed to hate Walmart if we don't shop there, 'cos I don't and I hate WM...

Though to elaborate on my feelings would not be allowed, I can say that I think Walmart is real evil-like and is indicative of a lot of different stuff that is wrong with things in general.

Oh, and I did see that WM commercial where the child needed the kidney transplant, and that WalMart stepped in and made it happen, like they do whenever any employee has a problem, as based on the contents of the commercial AND the reassuring, triumphant-yet-subtly-encouraging piano theme playing over it.... so I guess I'm just giving in to knee-jerk reactions with my deep seated loathing, what do I know??

There are plenty of other places to talk about the real issue, just no-where that any real good will be done..... sorta depressing..... I'm gonna go and post some swear words somewhere, real colourful-like :D

El Chuxter
01-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Wal-Mart isn't the biggest employer. I am the biggest employer. Wal-Mart is the devil!

Okay, the first two sentences of that aren't true. :)

The WM nearest my house still had a sign hanging in their toy department this morning: "Come to Wal-Marts [sic] Holiday Play Land Grand Opening October 10." That's just sad.

But don't hate 'em too much. Just the other day I saw Peter Frampton working in the sporting goods section. The guy needs the money, so anyone who will help him out can't be too bad.

sith_killer_99
01-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Yeah, but I saw Pete Townsend of the Who working in Automotive the other day. And anyone who would hire him....ah nevermind. lol

2-1B
01-09-2004, 11:38 PM
I thought I saw Pete Townshend working in children's wear . . . perhaps I was mistaken.

Kidhuman
01-09-2004, 11:54 PM
NO Pete rung me up lastnight. He is a cashier

scruffziller
01-10-2004, 01:39 PM
WM's working conditions are largely responsible for the 90,000 grocery workers currently out on strike.
Does that mean WM grocery workers? If so, how on strike? WM has no unions. If 90,000 gone from WM that means, quit. Fill me in.

JediTricks
01-11-2004, 07:16 PM
I believe that's the striking Vons, Albertsons, and Ralphs grocery workers here in Southern Cali, if you read the next sentence, it says that the grocery stores are trying to lower costs to stay competitive with WM.

Dar' Argol
01-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
This makes it unlikely that she can afford the company's family health plan at $218 a
month or almost 25% of her gross.

Now that's a bit unfair. While I agree that WM pays crap, the insurance is not that expensive. Well, for the top line insurance they offer it is, but that is a HMO. WM offers what is called a "Network Saver" plan, in which there are some deductables. My wife and daughter use to be on that and it was only $56 every 2 weeks out of her paycheck. Course I now have BC/BS at my work, and they pay for it, so now they are on that.

Originally posted by dr evazan22
It employs 1.1 million workers. Fewer than half those wokers are in the company's health plan. Nationally, almost two-thirds of employess at large firms have health coverage, according to a recent AFL-CIO study. At WM, it's between 41 and 46 percentWM pays its workers substandard wages and makes its plan prohibitively expensive.

Did it state that the "fewer then half" or lower then 50% of those workers are part-time??? ANd besides it says "fewer then half". So that could be 49% or 32% or even 15%. All of those are "fewer then half" :D. If you are part-time you are not elegible for insureance until you've worked a total of 1000 hours . . . . I think that's right. I'll have to find the old handbook to check. Most part-timers are High school students, who are on their parents insurance, and only work between 15-26 hrs a week. Full time status is concidered 32hrs a week or more. WM has a lot of part-timers . . . which could also explain their lack of customer service, those people just don't care.

Now I am not saying everything WM does is roses, but it seems that when it does come to WM, a lot of people twist the facts to their own use. I worked there 5 1/2 years, it was a great job for me if I got the respect I deserved. I left that company for family reasons. I needed to provide more for my family. That and I found out after I left that the stress was so much between my wife and I (cause we both work there) that she was concidering leaving me. I didn't relise it was that bad. But after I left WM, my stress level dissapeared and everything is great again.

I think the real problem here is the Walton kids. They do not appreaciate what WM is because they have had everything handed to them. All that mattered to them was money. Sam Walton would have never allowed this company to become what it is. Because it was his baby, he worked for it, not the kids. Poor Sam's probably rolled over in his grave sooo many timed now, he's gonna surface in Singapor soon!.

scruffziller
01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
This says it all. This is what are unmanned probes found on Mars.

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Martians need food too, and SW figs. Who else is gonna clothe them?

bobafrett
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
A friend of mine gave me this cartoon. He knows I'm a former Wal-Mart employee.

mabudonicus
02-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Man I loves smiley faces :)
In fact, if you think wal-mart is evil, you hate happiness :D
YEAH.... that's the ticket!!!!!

PS too bad I tend to agree with the cartoon

bobafrett
02-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Well I know it made a lot of new employees mad when they dropped the starting wage at the store I worked for by a whole $1. We had some new employee's start at $8 an hour, then a few days later the new hires were only being offered $7 an hour. I don't know how they justify that, after all they are a multi Billion dollar company.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Well I know it made a lot of new employees mad when they dropped the starting wage at the store I worked for by a whole $1. We had some new employee's start at $8 an hour, then a few days later the new hires were only being offered $7 an hour. I don't know how they justify that, after all they are a multi Billion dollar company.

Yeah Bobafrett, I do remember the justification for that $1 decline in wages. Apparently, one of Sam Walton's daughters was behind payment on her fourth mansion. lol

scruffziller
03-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I understand that in Canada the Wal Marts are unionized and start out at $15/hour. Is this true.

Kidhuman
03-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Heading to Canada :beard:

bobafrett
03-28-2004, 09:25 AM
I can't diss the Wal-Mart anymore. I was hired back at the store I once worked at. I work in the daytime now, and I am working in Lawn and Garden. When I was "fired" about 2 years ago, I was making a pretty good wage, lets just say, I'm not making that much anymore, but I'm also not making what new hires start at.

I'm suddenly thinking about moving North of the border. At least I'll be closer to the Canadian Roch trio "Rush"!

scruffziller
03-28-2004, 10:54 AM
I can't diss the Wal-Mart anymore. I was hired back at the store I once worked at. I work in the daytime now, and I am working in Lawn and Garden. When I was "fired" about 2 years ago, I was making a pretty good wage, lets just say, I'm not making that much anymore, but I'm also not making what new hires start at.

I'm suddenly thinking about moving North of the border. At least I'll be closer to the Canadian Roch trio "Rush"!
I would research the Canadian WM thing further that is why I posted so don't head up north yet.:D I have heard wayyyyyyyyy too many things like this finding out it wasn't true or it was localized to one person.

Well one thing that I have learned about alot of things. You can make an acurate judgement of something's future by considering its past. Watch your back BF and keep a low profile.;)

silentsteel70
03-28-2004, 09:35 PM
First, if anyone on this site still works for WM, I want to go ahead and say I'm sorry to them and i don't mean to offend anyone.
The obessive cult like way WM runs its company and stores are beyond most ppl comprehension. I worked for WM as a Dept Manager for 2 years, from the time I got hired they started its brainwashing procedure...and I mean BRAINWASHING!! From day one they put you on a computer with headphones on to pump info directly into your brain, on how the company WILL be run, there is no deveation from this course or any kind of substitutions at all.

When it looks like you are starting to run your dept. the way you see fit...and not the company...they rein you in and write you up for stupid reasons to cool you off a bit. You are not able to think for yourself, all decisions have to go through the heirarchy...even though you are supposed to be running the dept. Even though the heirarchy don't know what to do with the sales most of the time.

For 2 years WM CONTROLLED ME, WHERE I LIVED, BREATHED, ATE AND SLEPT WM...24/7/365...my wife will swear that I was married to WM and not her...she said that I was thinking of WM all the time up and above my own family...thats what WM does to you!! And they call themselves a family...it's more like a cult...don't the moonies call themselves a 'family'?

This is what their policy is...the policy on a union, if one person says anything about a union...they automaticly get fired...they don't have to give reasons to fire you...they employ everyone on an 'at will' policy that means they hire and fire at will and don't have to give reasons why...by law!

Wm make out they are supporting the american economy by employing americans...(they have been in trouble more times than you can mention for employing illegal immigrants-cheap labor)...they also buy cheap imports from 3rd world countries...from mexican, korean etc. sweatshops...for pennies...and then make huge profits...basically ripping off the 3rd world countries and the american public too!!

I still shop at WM because they are the nearest big store here...they have the monopoly...but one thing is for sure they should start paying their employees what they are worth, and not just the minimum wage, and over stuffing the upper management pockets...the difference between a bi-weekly check of under $500 and one of $1500 is quite a lot...and they don't do anything extra for the money..infact they do less than the regular employees who work themselves to death for nothing!!

If I offended anyone I am sorry...but this is my opinion, and being an american I am entitled to my opinion...apparantly!

Exhaust Port
03-28-2004, 09:49 PM
I understand that in Canada the Wal Marts are unionized and start out at $15/hour. Is this true.
Yeah, but that's about $5/hour US. :D

silentsteel70, I've never worked for WM but the more I hear and the more I read the more the WM demon scares me. It's a runaway freight train that can't be stopped and is only picking up momentum making it more and more dangerous.

silentsteel70
03-28-2004, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=Exhaust Port]Yeah, but that's about $5/hour US. :D

thats about right...around here the WM hire you on starting at $6 and after the taxes and everything are out of your pay...it is probably less than $5 an hour...they stink...you are better off getting a couple of newspaper delivery routes and making your money that way...lol...at least you wouldn't have WM breathing down your neck!!...just the odd old lady complainingher newspaper is 10 mins late....:P

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Basically what you are saying ss70 is that Wal-Mart is like the Borg? :D

I still shop at WM because they are the nearest big store here...they have the monopoly...but one thing is for sure they should start paying their employees what they are worth, and not just the minimum wage, and over stuffing the upper management pockets...the difference between a bi-weekly check of under $500 and one of $1500 is quite a lot...and they don't do anything extra for the money..infact they do less than the regular employees who work themselves to death for nothing!!

Well I for one have strayed clear of Wal-Marts for obvious reasons (see my previous posts, in this thread and on the Saga Forums). I agree with all of your points and are glad you mentioned them, but I think the biggest reason I won't shop there anymore is the fact that Wal-Mart is helping to turn our country into a third-world, strictly blue collar nation. Not just because they are the nations largest employer, and they pay their overworked employees laughable wages, it also contributes in the following way.

People in our country are firmly committed to buying quality goods, but more importantly, they want to do this the cheapest that they can. Wal-Mart swallows it competition buy skimping all that they can in order to charge their famous low prices. Even if that means hiring illegals, or paying slave wages to the companies that they buy their goods or to their own employees. They will nickel and dime anyway that they can in order to keep us, the consumer, shopping at their stores.

This then starts a cycle. Companies who sell to Wal-Mart, know that they won't make as much profit as if they sold their goods elsewhere because of Wal-Mart's immense buying power. They in turn, aren't making as much money so they have to cut cost, whether that means oursourcing their employees to India, cutting wages or having teenage Indonesians making sneakers for subsistence wages or cutting back on health insurance or whatever. In a profit driven society, the goal of the company is to usher in more money, and if taking the above steps means that it will happen, then they won't hesistate to do that.

The companies that try to compete with Wal-Mart will either have to follow suit and take in the above practices, which I think we can all agree, are negative consequences, or be killed.

It's sad, sad, sad. BTW, I do shop at Wal-Mart the Vulcantouch method, which means buying only items I know that they will take a loss on, clearance items. So far, I haven't bought any Star Wars since I started my one-man boycott, but only other stuff. It may seem hypocritcal that I still shop, but that is how I will do it from now on.

Card Dreamer
03-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Okay, lemme thank Chazz for pointing out aWal-Mart ranting thread! I HATE them, having worked for them for 2 years and agree, they SUCK! for a deeper look at why I hate them, pick any one of these rants by me:

http://marina.fortunecity.com/shark/85/Rants/Attitudes.html

http://marina.fortunecity.com/shark/85/Rants/Understocking.html

http://marina.fortunecity.com/shark/85/Rants/Buttkissing.html

http://marina.fortunecity.com/shark/85/Rants/Slave.html

silentsteel70
03-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Yep LBC "you will be assimilated" thats how walmart see everyone...basically everyone who works for walmart ends up being a peeon, as soon as you have been hired that is your new title PEEON!

chrisc
03-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Here at my local Walmart hey were doing a stupid chant the other day at 0730 in the morning. It scared the heck out of me I thought it was some kind of riot starting up. Couldn't even stay in unison. They acted like a bunch of (how can I say this without getting banned) losers. Of course they seem to hire all of this towns rejects to work at Walmart.

mabudonicus
03-29-2004, 06:01 PM
WOW...
Gotta say good to see some of the opinions here. In Canada, we have different "minimum wage" for different provinces, it is (I think) 7.25 Canadian here... I can tell you that there is no way new hires in our town make any more than 10 Canadian an hour, and I truly doubt if new hire is over 8 dollars.. I mean, you don't ahve to pay any more than that per man hour, why bother???

Just wanted to add that. :beard:, being from the country in question and knowing certain "urban legends" are best nipped in the bud :D (Scruff, tell 'em "mabudon says yer full o' carp, buddy, and not like the fish" :beard: )

Oh, and LBC, it's at least a 2 man boycott, I outright refuse to shop there, I will go without until there really is no other choice... loss leaders are a good idea, too, if we had more bread I'd consider it... wonder if that's illegal, in any way, actually ganging up and "mining" such a place, buy ALL the loss leaders and nothing else.. that'd be funny... "I'm sorry, you only have magenta-tag items, you must include at least one red-tag item to complete the transaction"
I can't wait......

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 01:01 AM
If you want to take WM's power away, you have to start with yourself, you have to stop shopping there as much as possible (although I do like the idea of buying ONLY their loss-leaders, that's cute) and talk about this with your acquaintances. You don't need to force them to listen to a diatribe or to do it your way, just explain why you made your choice and let them discuss it with you if they want - let your actions be the strongest example. The power of one individual might seem small next to a corporation that makes hundreds of billions of dollars a year, but they only make that because of each one of us - if we voice our dissatisfaction with their business practices loud enough and in terms they can understand, chiefly the loss of our business, change will eventually happen.

Look at Inglewood, CA, the people there have been telling their city council they don't want WM in their city, they've been protesting because they don't want the LA Forum turned into a Wal-Mart, it will monopolize business and employment in their area and even though they're not doing well in those areas right now, they'd rather be in that spot than taken over by WM, all the while WM is airing national ads touting how great their East LA store has supposedly been for the neighborhood.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Look at Inglewood, CA, the people there have been telling their city council they don't want WM in their city, they've been protesting because they don't want the LA Forum turned into a Wal-Mart, it will monopolize business and employment in their area and even though they're not doing well in those areas right now, they'd rather be in that spot than taken over by WM, all the while WM is airing national ads touting how great their East LA store has supposedly been for the neighborhood.

I detest that commercial. Even moreso than the other inane, happy-go-lucky, everything's-heaven-with-Wal-Mart ads. While I thought the LA riots were horrible and wish that nothing like that ever happens again anywhere, if they do then I hope everyone just flocks to WM and vents their anger there.

I didn't know about the Forum-WM connection, JT. I thought it was supposed to be made into a church and not buldozed into a store. If they do succeed do you suppose they'll have free parking or charge $10 like was done when Shaq was playing there?

scruffziller
03-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Just wanted to add that. :beard:, being from the country in question and knowing certain "urban legends" are best nipped in the bud :D (Scruff, tell 'em "mabudon says yer full o' carp, buddy, and not like the fish" :beard: )

That is good to know the truth. My friend that I work with at WM has a sister living in Canada and had heard this from. He is going to Canada to visit to research it further, but like I have heard a many times, alot of these rumors are myths. He said that $15 Canadian is like $12 American but I don't how true that is.

bobafrett
03-30-2004, 06:37 PM
I had an interesting exoperience today at the store I work for. Myself, and three other employees were sent to another store to get trained on the forklift. We get to the store, and no one there knows anything about us coming there for training. After some phone calls were made by the personal manager at that store, they found out that the manager had set it up for us to be there, but failed to let anyone else know. We ended up getting certified, but we were supposed to take and pass the CBL on Forklift operations before going behind the wheel. Since we were at another store, we didn't have access to the CBL's. We took our time getting back, and I had to go in on my day off, but at least now I have tomorrow off instead. I can sleep in!!!!!!!!

Anyway, the line of communication stinks, and always has since the first day I walked into the store.

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm still a little surprised that they're dumping the Forum myself, it's been a while since I was last there but it seemed like a viable venue to me, moreso than the horrible LA Sports Arena which SHOULD be turned into a WM just so we can go "oh, let's go to the museums and Wal-Mart". ;) I believe that is the plan though, to use the Forum for a new WM. As for parking, I bet they'll convert the parking lot into a WM satellite mall and then there won't be enough parking for anybody, so they'll have to shuttle over from the cheap parking at Hollywood Park. :D

BTW, when the riots happened, I saw people waiting in line to loot Pic-n-Save (the one in Culver City)! So if they'll loot Big Lots, they'll loot ANYTHING. ;)

update - just looked into this further, apparently WM was gathering petition signatures last year to get a measure passed that would empower WM to sorta override control of the area between the Forum & Hollywood Park from the local government, bypass environmental issues normally mandated by the state, make it very difficult for local residents to have public hearings that would answer their questions, and "set minimal standards on traffic, air pollution, job quality, hiring, and other important community concerns that should not be left up to a private corporation." (source: laane.org) Actually, there's much more than that going on, here's an LA Weekly article on the issue: http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=51779

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-30-2004, 10:25 PM
update - just looked into this further, apparently WM was gathering petition signatures last year to get a measure passed that would empower WM to sorta override control of the area between the Forum & Hollywood Park from the local government, bypass environmental issues normally mandated by the state, make it very difficult for local residents to have public hearings that would answer their questions, and "set minimal standards on traffic, air pollution, job quality, hiring, and other important community concerns that should not be left up to a private corporation." (source: laane.org)

Ludicrous. Talk about skirting the issue and squashing debate.

And who would sign this petition anyway (lawyers)? :D How would you present it to the public so that you'll get signatures?

Our city is organizing a meeting of concerned residents regarding the building of a Super Wal-Mart. We have a very pro-business town board who would normally approve the building of the store, but uproar has caused them to waver on the issue. We'll see it what happens in the future.

And mab--you broke another sterotype about Canadians. I thought all Canadians did their shopping at Canadian Tire and not Wal-Mart. :D

Card Dreamer
03-30-2004, 11:25 PM
I just wish every WM would burst into flames. Period.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-31-2004, 12:46 PM
update - just looked into this further, apparently WM was gathering petition signatures last year to get a measure passed that would empower WM to sorta override control of the area between the Forum & Hollywood Park from the local government, bypass environmental issues normally mandated by the state, make it very difficult for local residents to have public hearings that would answer their questions, and "set minimal standards on traffic, air pollution, job quality, hiring, and other important community concerns that should not be left up to a private corporation." (source: laane.org) Actually, there's much more than that going on, here's an LA Weekly article on the issue: http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=51779

That just smacks of elitism. Totally friggin ridiculous. I hope those civil officials are people of good moral fiber who can see past all the crap (and maybe even bribes) that WM will throw at them.

JediTricks
03-31-2004, 08:35 PM
LBC, "And who would sign this petition anyway (lawyers)? :D How would you present it to the public so that you'll get signatures?" basically, 'you' would get a few seed suckers from the area to back you, fill the proposal with 71 pages of mumbo-jumbo so confusing that a presiding judge can't even figure it out, and a good PR department to put a positive spin on what seems to amount to taking away the local government's rights to control the area by saying
Shall the ordinance regarding the proposed development of the ‘Homestretch at Hollywood Park,’ a retail commercial project adjacent to Hollywood Park Race Track, be adopted? instead of the more realistic
Shall the Homestretch at Hollywood Park ordinance be approved, allowing a 650,000-square-foot, permanent retail/commercial development with 22,000 parking spaces with no environmental review, denying the city’s right to impart any changes to the plan? BTW, the first quote is how it's being presented on the Inglewood ballet to the people, the second is the proposed wording that the city council originally voted for, and then a day later reversed its decision upon.

Apparently, a small city above San Diego went through this recently and passed a law keeping WM out, but then another town in California went through the same motions and they voted to allow WM.

ManCan, it seems like they have a mix of both qualities in their city officials and residents. I wish WM would just let the people decide what they want without all the monkeying around, it seems like the way they work now goes against what they claimed they stand for.

vadersvette
03-31-2004, 09:56 PM
I can't stand any of that pep rally "Team Member" or "Team Player" stuff. It's so corny it makes me want to puke :rolleyes:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-01-2004, 12:46 PM
ManCan, it seems like they have a mix of both qualities in their city officials and residents. I wish WM would just let the people decide what they want without all the monkeying around, it seems like the way they work now goes against what they claimed they stand for.

Ideally, that should happen. Unfortunately no big corporation is going to listen to a group of citizens unless it greatly affects how they do business and make money. WM is so phony with the goody-two-shoes commercials then turning around to put the ole screwgie to the communities they so "lovingly" represent.

scruffziller
04-01-2004, 12:57 PM
The way WM operates is like a kid that is throwing eggs at a sweet elderly lady's house and only stops when the squad car rolls by. It seems to me that the only way to get things done around there is to make threats of quitting or calling the home office. What happened to the integrity of doing the right thing first off instead of milking it till you get caught.:frus:

JediTricks
04-01-2004, 05:08 PM
It turns out integrity doesn't pay the bills as well as being a two-faced, backstabbing, lying, cheating, manipulating scumbag. The proof: WM and Microsoft.

Letting the local government and its constituents decide what's best for the people... HA! Don't make walmart laugh.