PDA

View Full Version : Server Situation

SirSteve
03-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Some of you may have realized the "busy server" message at times and we are taking measures to correct it. Our host has run out of servers and they opening a new data center next week so as soon as they do, we will have a new (bigger) server to correct this.

Thanks for understanding.

SSG Staff

2-1B
03-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Steve, I expect a 2-1 interpretor droid to be disintegrated over this matter. I know a good EV unit that can do the job.

Thanks for the update. I was having troubles earlier but now I seem free to run around the asylum.

jjreason
03-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Good news, SirSteve! The only time I was getting the busy messages was when I was online at work. My productivity was going through the roof! Thank goodness I will soon be able to get back to spending my "work-time" here at SSG! :D

2-1B
03-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Very good, Reason!
Hopefully you'll be back to non-work in quick time.

jjreason
03-05-2004, 01:27 AM
Thanks, Skeezer, tell your friends I'll be here all week........*big hook comes from stage left, yanks JJ ferociously off stage*

Congrats on 5K!

Sorry to interrupt, Sirsteve. :sheepish:

SirSteve
03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Also, a major server resource hog is the search so I turned it off until we move to the bigger server. I know this is a useful feature for everyone but I think seeing the site is more important than doing searches right now.

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks for spoiling us Steve :D :D :D :beard:

SirSteve
03-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Just an update... we got the new server and we will be moving to it soon. If you notice the site is not loading, that is why. Until the DNS propagates, it will be done for a short time.

SirSteve
03-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Another update... the new server move is done. Everything should be back to normal now. Advanced Searches and Who's Online is now back on.

bobafrett
03-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Hooray! That move didn't take long!

Kidhuman
03-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Three cheers for SirSteve.

dr_evazan22
03-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Great work!

I just wanted to pass along that while accessing SSG tonight I got some Java script errors, a fatal exception when making a reply post in another thread, and then when I clicked on this thread it said cannot find server.

darthvyn
03-14-2004, 11:16 PM
i'm gonna need some time to get used to the URL change... forums.sirstevesguide.com not sirstevesguide.com/forums

everytime i type in sirstevesguide.com/forums, it sends me to the "moving to new server" message...

SirSteve
03-14-2004, 11:27 PM
I updated that page. Thanks.

SirSteve
03-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Great work!

I just wanted to pass along that while accessing SSG tonight I got some Java script errors, a fatal exception when making a reply post in another thread, and then when I clicked on this thread it said cannot find server.
Fixed. Updated some links as well.

Exhaust Port
03-15-2004, 01:49 AM
It was a seemless transition for me. Thanks for the continuing improvements to the SSG experience.

Darth Kirk
03-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Amazing SirSteve, you are awesome.. Keep up the kick arse work..
peace

dr_evazan22
03-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Fixed. Updated some links as well.

I knew there was a reason this is the BEST SW site out there! :beard:

bobafrett
03-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Um, I was just checking out another thread, and my avatar, as well as others, were all older avatars. My current avatar has me in a black and white stormtrooper pic, and the one that showed up, was the first custom one I made. If this was intentional, that's cool. I was just curious as to why in that thread they were older avatars.

Lazer Brain
03-16-2004, 09:41 AM
sir steve , great site , i can look busy once agian at my computer.
i am trying to read the news and when i click on it I get this message:
"You don't have access to the following module due to invalid access level. Please login/use different account." the screen shows me logged in , is there a new 'access' level?

thanks
later

Darth Jax
03-16-2004, 09:30 PM
same situation here. can't read any of the news beyond whats on the front page. shows me as logged in and the forums are working fine.

JediTricks
03-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Anybody getting the "Invalid Level" message, clear your cache and delete your SSG cookies and then log back in, that should take care of it.

Kidhuman
03-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Anybody getting the "Invalid Level" message, clear your cache and delete your SSG cookies and then log back in, that should take care of it.

I am geting the message only when I try to submit anything.

Kidhuman
03-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Love the new added features on here Steve. That lock made me laygh hard

JediTricks
03-20-2004, 03:24 PM
??? What does KH mean? I know we just updated our forums software to gold version, but what lock? I want to be in the loop. :cry: :p

plasticfetish
03-20-2004, 03:48 PM
I just logged on... there's a bunch of new graphics.

New lock, for locked thread. A new little color bar thingy for polls.

Beast
03-20-2004, 03:51 PM
He means the padlocks on the forums that we can't start new threads in. Announcements, Polls, Case Assortments, Just The F.A.Q's, and Links. You don't see them of course, being an Admin with Posting Power. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-20-2004, 04:38 PM
I see all the new graphics now, when I first logged in, I guess my browser had the old ones cached because that's what I was seeing, but I just had a crash and now my browser is showing all the new crazy graphics.

Kidhuman
03-20-2004, 07:41 PM
??? What does KH mean? I know we just updated our forums software to gold version, but what lock? I want to be in the loop. :cry: :p

I see all the new graphics now, when I first logged in, I guess my browser had the old ones cached because that's what I was seeing, but I just had a crash and now my browser is showing all the new crazy graphics.

First off, JT you make the loop, you admin you.

Second, you need to upgrade your comp to gold version. :D :D :beard:

SirSteve
03-21-2004, 02:34 AM
JT is still on Win 95... he has a lot of upgrading to do! ;)

JediTricks
03-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Would it be out of line to suggest that you guys can bite me? ;)

Second, KH, it's called caching, EVERY internet browser does it, how they display is dependent on your settings, mine are set to only load when there's a new page so I don't have to waste my crappy dial up bandwidth on redownloading the same images over and over again, there wasn't a new page technically so it didn't bother.

Finally, how many times have you had to reload an operating system? I haven't needed to in almost a decade. :D

Kidhuman
03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Only once, when I deleted Kazaa and it wiped everything out on me.

The 'Xir
04-04-2004, 03:59 AM
Don't tell me that, 'cause I was thinking of dumping Kaza, it's really bogging down my system and I have broadband! Any suggestions? And what's is the best non-pay file sharing software out there? I tried Limewire but didn't like it!

Kidhuman
04-04-2004, 09:50 AM
DC++ is the best one now. Its free and millions(and millions) of people use it.

Yeah, Kazaa wiped everything out on me, be careful when deleting it.

SWAFMAN
04-05-2004, 01:18 PM
DC++ is the best one now. Its free and millions(and millions) of people use it.

Yeah, Kazaa wiped everything out on me, be careful when deleting it.

What operating system and version of Kazaa are/were you using when uninstalling Kazaa caused the severe problem with your computer?

I've uninstalled & re-installed it a few times, due to corruption problems with the program, and later moving to the spyware-free variants, and I've not had any major O/S problems as a result. But, if I decide to get rid of it in the future, I'd like to know what to watch out for.

thanks!

Kidhuman
04-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Ihad recently downloaded the upgrade. It tolde me I needed to keep the spyware on my computer to use the free version or pay a yearly fee not to have spyware. So I deleted it and it wiped everything. I believe Iwas using 2.0 before the upgrade.