PDA

View Full Version : Is this some kind of stormtrooper?

toyboy
03-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone. I found this toy robot at an estate sale. Can someone please tell me what it is? It has the head of a stormtrooper but it also has these ridiculous wrench hands. There is a battery pack on the back which I think powers lights on the chest, but it isn't working. It is about 12" tall and the only markings are "made in Hong Kong" on the back. The cover from the battery pack is missing and may have more information on it. Unfortunately it is lost. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 04:33 PM
The only similarity I see is the head. The body looks like a slot machine. Maybe its a vegas style Stormie.

plo koon 200
03-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Hmm, maybe this is one of those bootlegs that fetches thousands on the net. I honestly have not seen that before but it is cool.

B'Omarr Monkey
03-06-2004, 12:07 AM
It was made in Hong Kong in the 1970s (clearly after SW). There are 4 different versions of this that I know of. Two that are grey with helmet and chest variations, and two that are black with helmet and chest variations. One of the black ones has a tv screen for a chest and comes equipped with a red radar dish on its back. They actually look really cool in the pictures I have (Robots and Spaceships by Taschen books, around $10). No values listed though.

plasticfetish
03-07-2004, 04:32 AM
Yep, these are cool! Odd but cool.

Here's a link with info on the black version of this one...
http://www.toysrgus.com/images-boots/galaxywarrior.html

Do you have the box by any chance?

LTBasker
03-07-2004, 09:03 AM
That first one of the two pics there, wasn't there a robot just like that in Phone Booth? It has a different head, but I remember in the movie the robot would have the two panels on it's chest open sideways, and reveal two "gun/cannon" nozzles and they would light up as it spun around. :crazed:

bobafrett
03-07-2004, 11:29 AM
That first one of the two pics there, wasn't there a robot just like that in Phone Booth? It has a different head, but I remember in the movie the robot would have the two panels on it's chest open sideways, and reveal two "gun/cannon" nozzles and they would light up as it spun around. :crazed:

My brother and I had robots with chest panels that opened up sideways with gun nozzles. It also spun and lit up. This was before Star Wars, so the ones from "phone booth" could be something from that time. I do find it funny when you find some toy, that blatantly rips off some piece of a Star Wars masked character.

toyboy
03-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all your comments. This thing has been a big question mark for me for a while. None of my Star Wars buddies had ever seen it. My hopeful theory was of course that it was the original toy from which Lucas ripped off the stormtrooper idea:D , but, alas:( , it seems to be the other way around. Also, my apologies for posting this thread in a somewhat innappropriate location. I am new to this site. :) I am also somewhat old-school and the new Star Wars jargon confuses me a bit. I will catch up sooner or later!:) As for the box, it was missing at the time I bought it. The battery cover is also missing. Am hoping I can take it apart and get it working again, but it is a project that might wait a while. Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to hearing other comments/opinions. Thanks!

Exhaust Port
03-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Rumor is that this is the final version of the ST that GL is going to digitally insert into the Archive Edition. You've been warned.

plasticfetish
03-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!