PDA

View Full Version : Martha Stewart GUILTY!!!

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Well, I for one am glad they didnt let her off because of celebrity status. I hope the punishment fits the crime here. 4 counts of obstruction and what not. Give her a nice long jail sentence.

Darth Jax
03-05-2004, 09:42 PM
i paid no attention to the trial because: i don't care for martha and i never watch the news and i'm too lazy to look for details on the net. however, i believe she was convicted for receiving information that about a major set-back for imclone before it was announced. if i was given such info. i'd immediately dump the stock as well. what do you expect, she just eat the loss when the stock tanks. the ones that should have been punished are the ones giving her the inside information. she merely acted the same that anyone else would in the situation. but if my take on the situation is false and she did something worthwhile of punishing then i'm glad for the guilty verdicts.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Wouldn't it have been great to be there and after the verdict give a good Nelson laugh.

HA-HA! :D

Kidhuman
03-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Well its against the law to do what she did. It is considered inside info. If she is privy to that info then so is every stockholder. The people that gave her the scoop I believe were hung as well. I think one testified for immunity though.

Darth Jax
03-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Well its against the law to do what she did. It is considered inside info. If she is privy to that info then so is every stockholder. The people that gave her the scoop I believe were hung as well.

"legano, illegano, it is a grey area" because she acted in a rational fashion i don't really take pleasure in the guilty verdict. as a rule i love it when 'celebrities' are actually found guilty of commiting a crime, since normally they seem to be held to a different standard than that of normal society.

2-1B
03-06-2004, 01:41 AM
I would have dumped the stock as well.

Lying to the government should not be a crime.

bobafrett
03-06-2004, 10:03 AM
I also heard on the news that the stock of her own company rose $6 a share before the verdict, then dropped like a ton of bricks after the verdict. They halted trading of her stock before the verdict was read. I guess K-Mart stock had a similar rise then fall yesterday, although it didn't drop as bad.

"Hi, this is Martha Stewart, and today we are going to show you how to brighten up your cell by using tissue paper and string, and the jello from your lunch."

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-06-2004, 11:50 AM
There is indeed a large grey area in this case. Let's face it, the majority of us would have dumped our stock if we had a relative or friend call us and say that a major drop in price was imminent. It's human nature. If you were privy to certain information that would affect the price of stock dramatically, you would want to recommend a selloff, because you wouldn't want for example, your mother, to be stuck with a huge financial loss.

I can see why the law is in the books too. It is unfair for those who don't know ahead of time. Martha did violate the law, and she should have been found guilty, but I think a light sentence in her case would fit the bill. Being a multi-millionaire and a hated diva, I think, hurt her in this case.

good shot jansen
03-06-2004, 01:48 PM
you all raise some very good points about human nature.

sam wacksel was a friend of martha's, and in fact, that's why she bought the stock in the 1st place.

when wacksel found out that the fda was going to issue a denial of license for his compay's cancer fighting drug, he began to dump his stock the day before the annoucement was made.

being an executive of the company, imclone, and because he owned greater than 5% of the stock, any major move of his, be it buying or selling of the stock, would have required a public filing with the sec. so wacksel selling his stock was not exactly top secret information.

the real culprit here, is whoever worked for the fda, that leaked the information to wacksel in the 1st place. that's the true insider trading.

anything that happened after that, was pure human nature, noone wants to hang onto a dog, so as soon as they found out that bad news was acoming, boom! time to dump the stock.

wacksel, being the ceo of imclone, got exactly what he deserved. he dumped his stock upon hearing the forthcoming bad news. a typical corporate schmuck, who bailed for his own gain, while leaving those who invested in him, holding the bag. 7 years in prison is a stiff sentence, but the best thing to happen to him, occurred 2 weeks ago. the very drug that started this whole caper, was finally approved by the fda for cancer treatment. imclone has rocketed in price since the announcement, and wacksel, who was removed from the company due to this sorrid affair, does not get to participate in the profits, now that the company is doing well.

martha unfortunately, lied about why she sold the stock. if she had come clean, and said, "yes i dumped the stock, because i heard about the upcoming fda report, i'm sorry, it was a knee jerk reaction", this would have all blown over, with a small wrist slap fine. but instead, she began to weave a tale that was easy for the prosecuter to break down.

you would think after the fall of nixon, people in high places would understand, that it's not so much the incident itself, but how you handle yourself afterwards. if you come clean, say you made a mistake, people tend to be forgiving, but once you begin to stonewall, and continue lying about it, that's what eventually leads to downfall.

jjreason
03-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Very well written, GSJ. People tend to hate liars, I see that everyday in my line of work. The courts will have a lot more mercy on those willing to accept responsibility for what they did - and I don't necessarily mean admit guilt. She can't deny responsibility, and shouldn't have. It will be very interesting to see what the judge hands down as punishment. Assuming she has no previous criminal record I'll be expecting a probationary period or conditional sentence of some kind - jail time would surprise the heck out me. If she's been done in the past, especially for something similar, look out.

JON9000
03-06-2004, 03:36 PM
I think the testimony of those who have worked for her and told the jury what a rotten human being she is was probably most damaging. Martha is a human bull dozer who uses her money and privilege to intimidate and bully every one around her. Well, payback's a beach, ain't it Martha?

:D :evil:

I love it when the high and mighty fall... Leona (I don't pay taxes, taxes are for the little people) Helmsley, Lizzie Grubman, and now Martha. I cannot wait to see Skillman, Ebbers, and more of these losers go down!
:evil: :evil:

Mandalorian Candidat
03-06-2004, 07:02 PM
There was a bit on the 10 o'clock news last night about her potential losses by holding on to the stock. She stood to lose something like $51K. Compare that figure to the value of her holdings ($200+ million) and it's the proverbial drop in the bucket. The average person in my state (UT) makes $24K a year. That loss in proportion is around $4.30.

It may have been the common thing to do, but it just shows that money (even being filthy rich) is probably too important in her life. That guilty skank can cry me a river all the way to the clink.

Turbowars
03-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Nothing will happen to her. The rich get away with everything. Gee lets see for example, OJ:neutral:

Bosskman
03-07-2004, 03:33 PM
I always knew thwere was something EVIL about her. I'm glad she's been found guilty but I doubt she'll do much jail time. Now if only Oprah would get caught doing something illegal..........

bigbarada
03-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Martha Stewart lied and misled investigators, that was a crime and she should be punished according to the law.

However, this sends a very mixed message since she seems to be the only major celebrity who is paying the price for breaking the law. Bill Clinton lied under oath about Monica; but why isn't he in jail? Ted Kennedy drove while he was drunk and, as a result, a young woman was killed; how is it that he's still a 'distinguished' member of Congress? Michael Jackson was accused of molesting young boys, but he was still allowed to leave the country for a concert.

And if Martha is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law because of her crimes, then why are the Enron executives still living off of their ill-gotten millions?

This isn't justice, this is a joke.

Kidhuman
03-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Now if only Oprah would get caught doing something illegal..........

You didnt hear, she got caught smuggling 50 pounds of crack under her jeans :crazed:

BigB, I understand where you are coming from about all those people. It seems the more money you have the less trouble you can get into. For some reason, people actually think kids look up to and admire them. All it is doing is sending the wrong message to kids. I can be famous and do whatever I want.

Exhaust Port
03-07-2004, 11:30 PM
I wonder if as a result of this conviction that she pulls back from her business. Perhaps we'll see a lot less of her person as they do some damage control. Someone would probably think twice when buying a product if the face of a convict was on the package. Removing that image might lessen the impact of her troubles when it comes to the consumer.

JON9000
03-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Today Martha is stepping down from the board of her company, so I guess that's a big yes, Ex-P.

El Chuxter
03-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Who cares about the verdict? I just want to hear her do one of her horribly dull cooking shows while quoting the most profane Snoop Dogg and NWA lyrics there are. :)

Bosskman
03-08-2004, 05:10 PM
When are we supposed to find out her punishment. I can't wait to see her stew in her own juice. (pun intended) I wish there was a web-cam in celebrities jail cells so we could watch them languish. Come to think of it, I think the stocks would be good for her. I'd love to pelt her with rotten tomatoes, no more sun-dried ones for her!

Kidhuman
03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Well, Viacom has pulled her show from there networks today. HAHA

bobafrett
03-09-2004, 01:16 AM
Well, Viacom has pulled her show from there networks today. HAHA

Yeah, well it will be kind of hard to do a show from behind bars. I can't really say much, as I haven't lived a life on the "good" side of the law.

jeddah
03-09-2004, 06:28 AM
....?

Whilst I have been laughing at the jokes about her decorating her cell and "I love to wear the stripes to the left" humour, I wonder what a therapist would make of all this unhealthy schadenfreude being bandied about. Hands up! How many people in this thread are happy people? :rolleyes:

jeddah

mabudonicus
03-09-2004, 10:39 AM
MEEEE MEEEEE!!!!! \m/:beard:\m/
I'm happy!!!
And after seeing the footage of the media's mad rush to get the verdict examined last night on The Daily Show I was pretty much crying, the show rebroadcasts this afternoon and anyone who loves schadenfreude should enjoy it.....
What a shameful spectacle :beard:
Watch it!!! Mabudon says so :D

Kidhuman
03-09-2004, 12:17 PM
I must say part of me is glad. Well actually all of me. She was offered Probahtion if she told the truth and continued to lie. You reap what you sow.

JON9000
03-09-2004, 01:32 PM
....?

Whilst I have been laughing at the jokes about her decorating her cell and "I love to wear the stripes to the left" humour, I wonder what a therapist would make of all this unhealthy schadenfreude being bandied about. Hands up! How many people in this thread are happy people? :rolleyes:

jeddah

schadenfreude? Perfectly normal, if you ask me. The truly perverse version occurs when people see bad things happen to their normally happy friends. That's ugly! As for Martha, it simply reinforces our righteousness when lawbreaking is involved. Now if she'd gotten dumped... lol

Bosskman
03-09-2004, 05:11 PM
You smell that? No it aint Martha's Trout Almondine, it's justice baby, SWEET JUSTICE!!!