PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Hypocrites (re: Pipe text)

TheDarthVader
03-06-2004, 11:58 AM
What is going on? In 2002 Hasbro "fixes" the Dexster Jettster figure so that the package no longer reads "pipe". And they never packed him with the pipe that he was supposed to come with. Now, just two short years later, they have no problem with cranking out thousands of Jabba the Hutts with "Hookah Pipe" printed on the side and coming with the accessory. What is going on here? This is a hypocrisy. It is clear that the Dexster stunt was a ploy to introduce a true variant figure and nothing more!

Beast
03-06-2004, 12:48 PM
You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

There is no hypocrisy about it. When the movie was in production, the character designs included a pipe. It's even in some of the very early renderings of the character. But the pipe was dropped from the character. It takes 12 months for a figure to go from planning to final product. During that time, it was discovered that the pipe was dropped from the character.

Packaging had likely either started printing, or they missed removing the mention of the pipe until it was too late. No worries though, they could easily cover the mention of the 'pipe' up with a small sticker. Instead of throwing out all the printed cards, and having to redo them. As for the accessory, it was simply not included in the final toy. The later runs of the card, had the mention of the pipe removed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthzirock
03-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Sheesh, now I've seen it all: Dexster Jetster Pipe Conspiracy Theory! :crazed:

Beast
03-06-2004, 12:58 PM
What next, the moon landing hoax*. :crazed:

*Inside joke from another forums. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthChuckMc
03-06-2004, 01:03 PM
No more pipe for Potato Head :(

HASBRO ruins everything......j/k of course :D

jjreason
03-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Interesting. There was no real need to ship Jabba with the pipe, the frog bowl would have been fine, yet they chose to do so. It does kind of fly in the face of the decision by (whoever) to keep Dexter pipe-free. If Greedo can shoot first, Jabba and Boba can show up in A New Hope, and the Death Star can explode that much more vibrantly - there's no reason why Jabba can't become a non-smoker. Not that I care that much, but hearing the rationale behind the decision to include it for one but not the other would be interesting.

DarthChuckMc
03-06-2004, 01:24 PM
I think Lucas just got too PC in the last 25 years to include a smoking frog in his Prequels.
We still get the good old fashion arm chopping, but smoking is bad, mm'kay.

darthzirock
03-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Interesting. There was no real need to ship Jabba with the pipe, the frog bowl would have been fine, yet they chose to do so. It does kind of fly in the face of the decision by (whoever) to keep Dexter pipe-free. If Greedo can shoot first, Jabba and Boba can show up in A New Hope, and the Death Star can explode that much more vibrantly - there's no reason why Jabba can't become a non-smoker. Not that I care that much, but hearing the rationale behind the decision to include it for one but not the other would be interesting.

OK, am I the only one who gets that the Dexster figure was pipe-free because Lucas decided to make the character in the film pipe-free? You never see him with a pipe in AOTC, never. So, once the pipe was eliminated in the film, it only made sense to eliminate it from the figure, too. We still see Jabba with his hookah in ROTJ, so they decided to keep it for the new Ultra Jabba, especially since they were just re-using the old molds from the Vintage Jabba Playset, anyway.

Kidhuman
03-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Smoke em if ya got em, and NO Dex, you cant bum one from me.

bobafrett
03-07-2004, 12:41 AM
OK, am I the only one who gets that the Dexster figure was pipe-free because Lucas decided to make the character in the film pipe-free? You never see him with a pipe in AOTC, never. So, once the pipe was eliminated in the film, it only made sense to eliminate it from the figure, too. We still see Jabba with his hookah in ROTJ, so they decided to keep it for the new Ultra Jabba, especially since they were just re-using the old molds from the Vintage Jabba Playset, anyway.

You might not see Dexsters pipe, but you do get a glimpse of his plumbers crack! :eek: That's no moon!

JediTricks
03-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah, that's how I see it. It's not a question of Hasbro being PC, otherwise why make a drug dealer action figure in the form of Elan Slezbaggano (who, I might point out, actually comes with MORE drugs than what we saw in the film!), it seems like a question of Hasbro being accurate.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-07-2004, 06:51 PM
I know why they didn't include the pipe, but I don't know why they didn't include a buttcrack, or why they added an electrocuted butcher knife. :D

Jabba has a pipe because he did in the film, Dexter doesn't because he doesn't. It's pretty simple, and not hypocritical.

TheDarthVader
03-07-2004, 08:22 PM
I feel ashamed now. I see the point but still...have we not seen accessories in the past that comes with figures that were not "seen" in the movies???? I believe we have (without a doubt)! Remeber POTF2's Luke with grappling hook gun? I mean...what the heck? I guess my only arguement now would be: Jabba will always have a pipe in ROTJ and with that ultra figure. Why not allow Dexster to have a pipe as well? I don't think kids would start smoking pipes because of that. Besides, kids watch ROTJ too and Jabba clearly smokes on his pipe. I watched Jabba do it when I was young and it did not make me think, " Hey I am going to start smoking a pipe now."

darthzirock
03-07-2004, 11:43 PM
I feel ashamed now. I see the point but still...have we not seen accessories in the past that comes with figures that were not "seen" in the movies???? I believe we have (without a doubt)! Remeber POTF2's Luke with grappling hook gun? I mean...what the heck? I guess my only arguement now would be: Jabba will always have a pipe in ROTJ and with that ultra figure. Why not allow Dexster to have a pipe as well? I don't think kids would start smoking pipes because of that. Besides, kids watch ROTJ too and Jabba clearly smokes on his pipe. I watched Jabba do it when I was young and it did not make me think, " Hey I am going to start smoking a pipe now."

Um ... TheDarthVader? You're not finding new figures at retail, are you? Obviously, this hobby isn't taking up enough of your free time if you are obsessing over the motivations behind whether or not an action figure comes with an accessory that was originally shown in prototype form, then gets yanked after said accessory is removed from the film. I recommend either volunteering at a homeless shelter, signing up for Big Brothers, or reading to the elderly at a nursing home. ;)

Now ... just to throw some gasoline on this fire. Jabba was "bad." Jabba smoked a pipe that was loaded with who-knows-what. Jabba was justifiably murdered for his evil ways, which included smoking. Dexster was "good." He was a friend to Obi-Wan and gave him helpful information ... as well as a hug and a free cup of "Jawa juice." (Um ... was anyone else disturbed by the prospect of just what would come out of a freshly "juiced" Jawa? :eek: ) Dexster smoked a pipe that was loaded with who-knows-what. Hey, wait a minute! Dexster's "good"! He can't be doing that! We all know that only vile gangsters that feed really hot almost-naked green-skinned dancers to big ugly monsters smoke! Begone, digitally rendered prop that is now an indicator of severe character flaws! Oh, and begone from our toys, too ... here, have a nice, friendly electrofied cleaver!

Silent Chazz
03-08-2004, 12:20 AM
a Little OT but, I think the Waitress Droid said "Juri Juice" just with a different accent and stuff. Juri Juice has been in the SW universe before, as in at the Mos Eisley Cantina. I used to play the SW CCG by Decipher and those cards sure had some cool tidbits about different aspects of the SW Universe (and mind you Lucasfilm okayed everything).

TheDarthVader
03-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Um ... TheDarthVader? You're not finding new figures at retail, are you? Obviously, this hobby isn't taking up enough of your free time...

Just the opposite! :D I am caught up with the figures until the new line comes out. I found the Antilles wave about a week ago. But, at any rate, everyone is right. It isn't a big deal. I just wanted to hear some comments. :D :evil:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-08-2004, 04:47 PM
No, it's Jawa. Look at the subtitles on the DVD, had to check on it once myself.

sith_killer_99
03-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Yep, Jawa Juice it is. I remember this being discussed heavily before the DVD release.

So there we are Jawa Juice for everyone! :D

:Pirate:

Mandalorian Candidat
03-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Yeech. Like from a Jawa run through a juicer? Is it easy to remove the pulp?

In the book they call it ardees or something like that. Maybe it sounded to close to Hardee's and they didn't want to make the audience feel ill. :D

Kidhuman
03-08-2004, 08:31 PM
In the book they call it ardees or something like that. Maybe it sounded to close to Hardee's and they didn't want to make the audience feel ill. :D

He will performing this weekend at Harrah's folks. Go out and see him!! ;)

Iknow for one I cant live without Jawa Juice. Wakes me up on those cold mornings.

jjreason
03-10-2004, 06:13 PM
I always took it to be a slang for coffee.