PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Animated Movie- yuck

JON9000
03-06-2004, 06:03 PM
I watched this film for the first time in since I saw it in the theater this past week. I remember being extremely let down by the film, and I was curious if time (and the knowledge that Optimus doesn't really die) would make it cooler for me.

Alas, it was almost unwatchable. The episodes of the show were better (at least during the first 2 seasons). First, by that point in the continuity, there were a lot more transformers that didn't have any part in the flick- that was my biggest gripe. Devastator was the only one of several really big robots to make an appearance. They could have brought out all of them to take on Unicron. Also, I didn't like the fact that they were disposing of my favorite older transformers just to make room for the new toys.

Story wise, it just seemed contrived to kill off the old to make room for the new, and the individual elements just sucked. Why were the Quintessons there at the time? It was also repetitive... how many times did Glavatron think he had destroyed the Matrix only to be tortured by Unicron? Did anyone else find the Junkions incredibly annoying? And U Got the Touch is a God-awful song.

The best part of the DVD was the chapter selections- "swear word"- too funny.

If understand that this is a cult fave, so if anyone has a differing opinion discussing the merits I would be interested to hear...

Kidhuman
03-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I love this movie. The only bad thing about it is the soundtrack sans Weird Al.

kool-aid killer
03-07-2004, 12:30 PM
The potential was there, but i think this movie suffers from a bad story. I liked the opening battle on Earth, but i was hoping that it would involve death on both sides. I thought it was lame showing the Autobots that were heading to Earth on the ship getting blasted yet no Decepticons seemed to be kicking the can. The music was bad too. The Junkions arent my favorite characters but i didnt mind them too much. I would have liked to have seen all Autobots and Decepticons fighting Unicron too. I watch it every now and then, but wouldnt list it among my faves.

darthvyn
03-07-2004, 12:43 PM
the TF movie rocks your socks off! c'mon, though... it was the 80's - what do you expect from the soundtrack? (dare to be stupid is definitely the best song in the movie.)

Kidhuman
03-07-2004, 01:09 PM
the TF movie rocks your socks off! c'mon, though... it was the 80's - what do you expect from the soundtrack? (dare to be stupid is definitely the best song in the movie.)

BUt it had that horrible song that Marky Mark sang in Boogie Nights............

You got the touch................WTF is that?

Exhaust Port
03-07-2004, 02:57 PM
I love this movie. Other than Robotech, this was the only cartoon I remember watching as a kid where major characters were killed off. I really liked that they didn't pull any punches with the plot and let characters be killed. The plot was a lot better than your average TF TV plot.

The downside was the aftermath that it created. TF sucked in my opinion after the movie. I never really got into the new TF universe.

plo koon 200
03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
The movie was great. The plot and animation far beat the cartoon.

El Chuxter
03-08-2004, 01:17 PM
You got the touch................WTF is that?

The best damn use of music in a movie ever, that's what!

What's wrong with you people? The animation is flawless, the new character designs are more creative than many of the original characters. The story is a bit clunky, but there are so many bits that make up for that.

You cried when Prime died. Admit it.

And how about the line, "Coronation Starscream? This is bad comedy!" Best. Line. Ever!

Kidhuman
03-08-2004, 05:37 PM
The best damn use of music in a movie ever, that's what! Ever!

SUrely you cant be serious, and I will callyou Shirley. I swear I pee myself every single time I hear it. That song is just downright, and utterly ridiculous. I wouldn't even line a bird cage with the sheet music to that song.

JON9000
03-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Wow- looks like mainly defenders of the movie here! About the quality of the animation... it was definitely a step up from the TV show, and the Unicron sequences were kinda cool, as well as the final fight between Prime and Megatron. But it has its chintzy moments too... The Dare to Be Stupid Dance, the miscoloring of parts of Starscream, Skywarp appearing in Hot Rod's vision, then it being Starscream...

I think it was a rush job for the most part. But hey, if folks love it, I'm all for that... I'll stick to the episodes though!!

El Chuxter
03-08-2004, 05:48 PM
It was sorta a rush job as I understand it. That's also related to the reason why the later characters from the toyline and cartoon didn't show up: lead time. The movie included the original first generation Transformers, Shockwave, the Dinobots, the Constructicons, Blaster, Perceptor, the Insecticons, Blitzwing, and Astrotrain, plus a veritable army of characters created for the movie: Kup, Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Springer, Arcee, Cyclonus, Scourge, Galvatron, Wheelie, the Sweeps, Unicron, the Quintessons, the Lithonians, the Sharkticons, Ratbat, Ramhorn, Rewind, Eject, and Steeljaw. (I think that's all of them.) Also, later episodes of the cartoon retroactively stuck Metroplex in there, though it was clearly "Autobot City" and not Metroplex.

But where were Tracks, Hoist, Beachcomber, the Stunticons, the Combaticons, and countless others who showed up in the second season?

They weren't there because they'd not been made up (at least in the cartoon) when the movie went into production. The cartoon had a far shorter lead time (and it really shows like a sore thumb in some episodes).

As to why Perceptor and the Triple Changers could show up and not Omega Supreme or other "early" second generation characters, I have no answer.

But to answer your question, KH, just about everyone I know loves "The Touch" and how it's used in the film. It's cheesy, but who cares? (Also, the soundtrack doesn't entirely suck outside that and Weird Al; there are a few awesome hair metal classics by Spectre General and NRG, both of whom were never heard from again.)

And I notice no one denies crying when Prime passed on. :cry:

Though one thing is sure: there is no one in the world who wouldn't pay a year's salary to have a cameo in the movie and kick the crap out of Daniel repeatedly. He makes the kids on Armada look appealing.

Kidhuman
03-08-2004, 06:22 PM
But to answer your question, KH, just about everyone I know loves "The Touch" and how it's used in the film. It's cheesy, but who cares? (Also, the soundtrack doesn't entirely suck outside that and Weird Al; there are a few awesome hair metal classics by Spectre General and NRG, both of whom were never heard from again.)

Ok, thats cool, I can never tell if your serious or not though. You wise acre you.......:beard:

mabudonicus
03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Ahhh yeah, it was GREAT!!!
I saw it in the theatre and it was awesome (although no-one would see it with me)....

Something got in my eye when Prime died, I think..... :beard:

There was a lot of "death" on both sides, it just wasn't really showcased.... I thought it was cool how "grim" most of it was...
And that's Sammy Hagar singing that "lame" song :beard:..... okay, so that probably doesn't change anyone's stance, but I do agree that somehow, in the film, with that awful synth and all, it was awesome
Really, it was... you had to be there, though :beard:

kool-aid killer
03-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Dont get me wrong, the animation was cool and seeing some robots get popped (though no Decepticons did) was even better (lately ive been thinking that Transformers would have rocked as a more adult oriented cartoon, get your minds out of the gutter im not talking Arcee and Hot Rod, but showing more Autobots/Decepticons getting smashed) but the story was wack. And the music was too. I hit the mute button in some parts to save myself from powerbombing my little brother.

Exhaust Port
03-08-2004, 11:26 PM
I'm suprised that the movie music is taking such a hit. I really thought it was great stuff back in the 80's and even now still find it entertaining. <pops his TF soundtrack into the CD tray>

JON9000
03-08-2004, 11:33 PM
The Unicron music was okay, but it sounds just like the Ivan Drago music from Rocky IV.

Another thing... I saw robots routinely get blasted on by Megatron's arm cannon and brush it off in the show. In the movie Prowl takes like, what, 2 licks from a constructicon's wimpy blaster and dies? :confused:

Tycho
12-22-2006, 08:01 PM
OK, nothing screams warfare and at least passion like a heavy metal soundtrack with a screaming vocalist!

What do you think: rap or country-western, even New Wave or some Alternative band who makes their statement with tattoos and piercings rather than music is going to provide more appropriate music?

Vince DiCola did do the Rocky music, and his instrumentals are perfect here.

Weird Al was the worst choice, but his song is possibly tolerable - it's the scene where Transformers would actually dance to it that's hard to stomach.

Arcee was never interested in Hot Rod, though I don't think that comment was meant to suggest it. I don't know why there were female Autobots, but there are. She was Springer's girl if anything like that was going on.

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Re-reading my comments from earlier, I have to add something on:

After watching the bonus features on the new DVD, I was wrong about the second-generation cars not having been created yet. Though many of the characters who aren't in the film weren't created in time, the Autobot cars had been. A scene that was never animated featured Ultra Magnus pulling up, unloading most of them (in car mode), and then them being offed about as easily as the Autobots on the shuttle. I recall Tracks and Red Alert being in that lineup clearly, and think it mentioned Inferno and Smokescreen as well.

DarkArtist
12-29-2006, 08:47 AM
I like the movie. to this day when ever I watch it the scene with Prime dying still brings a tear to my eye, the Vince Dicola music is right on target.
as far as the other comments, I still listen to the soundtrack every now and then, I mean C'mon Dare and the Touch are corny but also have a somewhat decent beat. and let's not forget Instruments of Destruction, great song.

this is a movie where either you like it and still watch it, or you believe the movie never happened and Transformers ended with G2 series.

Tycho
12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
I would have liked to see this:

Seasons 1 and 2.
The movie.
Rodimus Prime growing into his role a little bit more.
The Return of Optimus Prime.
The ascendancy of a lot of Season 1 /2 type looking characters (real vehicles, not futuristic models)
The tragic deaths of much of the overly futuristic season 3 characters.
A return of Megatron or reformation of Galvatron into something more practical.
Ditto that for Cyclonus and much of the Decepticon forces as well.

JON9000
01-07-2007, 10:02 PM
The real problem with the movie was that it ruined the transformers for me as a kid.

no more robots in disguise. The series and continuity became robots who simply change into other robots.

I loved a Porsche or Lambo that turns into a Robot. I didn't give two carps about a robot that transforms into some car nobody ever saw- Rodimus douche.

El Chuxter
04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Tycho will love this:

The soundtrack is being reissued on 5/29/07, with three additional score pieces, and an alternate version of the theme. (Not sure if it's an alternate version by Lion, a TV version, or maybe the version played in the movie--Lion's version with overdubbed robot voices singing the chorus.)

Tycho
04-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks. I just might pass. Then again, I love Spectre General's and NRG's tunes for the that soundtrack, and Vince DiCola's stuff was sweet.

Hmmm. I do like the fact that I'll have a choice whereas before I didn't.

El Chuxter
04-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I didn't realize until I went looking for the new one that the older CD release (the one we both have) is out of print. Amazon.com has a used copy for $50, though. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I had to watch the Battle of Autobot City this afternoon, to remind myself that the concept of Transformers didn't suck, just the new movie.

To anyone who still hates it, I advise you to try to overlook the fact that an entire line of figures was killed off to make room for new ones. Forgive Hot Rod for interfering with Prime's battle, as Prime himself did. It really is an awesome movie.

DarthQuack
11-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I first saw it when I purchased the 20th anniversary version a few months ago, and watched all of the Rhino G1 stuff in order. I didn't think it was that bad, I loved the 2 parts of curse words as well....

JON9000
11-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Chux, love ya, but I still think it sux. I really dig the transformers, but there is just too much here to overcome.

The climax of the film, emotionally, is OPTIMUS PRIME dieing. You don't go on for another hour. You just don't do it.

The movie is passable, in spite of the bazillion continuity problems, right up to the point Starscream gets blasted down. Then the repitition begins and things get really ugly, culminating in a practically literal ultimate deus ex machina style ending using no less than the macguffin of the story.

Add Daniel to the mix and an 85 minute movie seems to go on for hours.

If anybody loves this film and hates the prequels, I just cannot fathom from where y'all are coming.