PDA

View Full Version : The Shield: Season 3!

Tycho
03-07-2004, 11:23 PM
The Shield Season 3 begins this Tuesday night at 10pm on F/X. My F/X channel repeats the same new episode at 11pm too (so you can see it twice when something shocks you!)

This show is not for those who were offended by seeing Janet Jackson's breast!

This is like hardcore corrupt cops in like a reality TV story that's written so well it's actually believable.

Any fans out there?

Is this going to be a closer season? How long until a lot of Vic's team or Vic himself gets killed or caught in the act? How long until the police brutality is exposed? Or will they get away with it? What's the producer / writer saying about police corruption?

James Boba Fettfield
03-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I became a fan after catching the past two seasons in rerun. It quickly surpassed my other favored cop show, NYPD Blue. I'll be sure to join in on the discussions, though, for this season. I hope it continues the greatness that has been the first two seasons.

2-1B
03-08-2004, 12:55 AM
I wish that I could opine but unfortunately I do not get F/X. :(
I hear so many good things about this show and I know that I like Michael Chiklis so I'll have to rent the DVDs or something . . . enjoy season 3 ! :)

kool-aid killer
03-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Ive been catching this shows repeats at night (10 around here) and ive become hooked. Im thinking someone else in Vics team will get hurt, possibly killed. I dont think they will get caught anytime soon either, that would just about kill the show. Tycho, i too often think about what the message is: is it justifiable since the people they do it to are "bad" guys or is it showing what probably does happen behind the scenes in real life precints? At times watching the show i feel what they do is right, but then i think to myself that no cop should have any power to do what they do, and its not exactly humane either.

sith_killer_99
03-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh, I have been seriously jonesin' for new episodes! I became a regular during Season 2 and went out and bought the first Season on DVD! I love this show! Next to Nip/Tuck it's the best thing FX has going for it! :D

In fact I am watching the last 2 eps of Season 2 right now as I type.

BTW, I also have a DVR cable box, so I can record, rewind and be shocked as much as I want!!! :D

:Pirate:

Tycho
03-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Hereby starts real season 3 discussion:

First, does this show ever really make you get ticked off at the characters?

Shane had no business buying that car for his girl. They are supposed to be lying low - but at least he's using credit. But how whipped can he be? She NEEDS a new car to sell real estate? BS. I'm in financial services and while I am driving something fairly nice, when I was new, you can use that for people to give you a break and their time of day to offer you "a chance to prove yourself." Often you get more time of day using that "I'm new, could you please give me a chance?" approach.

Vic always tends to upset me more with his stupidity. He's going to use that cash in a gun-deal? Brilliant. Several things can happen: - they can trace it back to Vic with his prints on the money - plus the officers' "deal money" he requested won't get used correctly (sure that stuff has to be documented) or they can mix money up and return the bad marked money to the police instead of the right pile - then they'll come looking to how that money got mixed up into police funds from the Armenian Mob. 2 - Vic's buddies on the strike team will find he's tapping it and think it's a double-cross and someone will rat on them or take the money and use it more carelessly, getting them caught. 3 - Vic (if he's really smarter than I think he is) can (or accidently can) get that traceable money into the hands of the gun runners, so they think that the gun runners hit the Armenian Mob and ripped off their cash -but the rest of the strike team will still be angry because Vic didn't ask them if they could use the funds, and he wasn't even there when they took the money in the first place.

Next - they're cops. Are they so stupid to think that the serial numbers on the cash is not being traced? That's why there ARE serial numbers on money. Duh. Really Vic - how did you ever pass Police Academy if you're THAT stupid?

Then there's Claudette...when is she going to go all self-righteous? Will it cause justice to be done, or will she screw up Vic's chance to set things right? (If he gets so motivated).

Vic's wife? Is she going to have an affair with the tutor helping their son? Will that set Vic off the deep end? That'd be perfect for his rap sheet he's running up (invisible though it may currently be).

Captain Haceveda (Spelling) - why is he staying now? What difference can he make? I thought he was losing the election? The "Last Year on The Shield" made it look like he's winning the election. And the Chief is going to can him (or force his retirement) if he doesn't win - so is he making his last minute difference? How will that affect Vic?

Is Connie (name?) going to be Haceveda's rat?

Is Julian going to get beaten up for follwing that biggot cop home and beating him up? Will he have charges pressed against him? Or is it over? (doubt it - but you never know).

And is Dutch going to get caught with "bad pictures of kids" or something. He's so clean cut and trying so hard, yet he understands (or admits to it when most of us won't) how he knows how the minds of perverts work. He's so desperate for some action, what's really going on in Dutch's lonely life at home? Maybe he'll free Julian's ex-boyfriend out of the hole and play bad cop with him? I don't think Dutch is that type, but desperation does funny things to people - and it's always the good, nice, quiet ones. Dutch is losing the battle to stress and feeling like he's normal. He's the poster-boy for those not wanting to be a police detective!

This season promises to be another frustrating character study into the lives of those who are armed and stupid. It amazes me how the show hooks you in and actually makes you root for fools you know should go down for their dirty deeds. Sometimes I wish Claudette would snap and go on a shooting rampage in their precinct office! You sort of don't like her do-gooder, party-spoiler character, but if she shot the rest of them, somehow justice would get done - though not the orthodox way mind you. Hehehe.

What do you guys think?

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2004, 01:29 PM
I saw it, but...I'm pushing 40 minutes until I have a spanish class and a review session for early British lit., so I will hold all thoughts I have until a later time.

One thing, of course they're going to do some stupid things with the money. They can't just have them sit on the money for a year and never do anything with it. Where's the fun in watching that? I don't think Vic's wife will be doing anything with their son's tutor. And Claudette, I wish her character would die off or get knocked around like Julian did. Another point, I loved Julian's little revenge he took on the cop. Looks like he's learning a thing or two from Vic and company.

And the foot in the box, what a way to start the season off right.

kool-aid killer
03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
I was puzzled by Acevedas stay too, i thought the heat would come down on Vic with Claudette and him watching over his shoulder now but i guess that wont happen right now. I kind of hope Claudette calls them out, im sure many people in that office suspect them of improper behavior but dont say anything to keep from being branded a rat. Im sure Julien will catch some heat, maybe enough so that he has to turn to Vic in order to help save him, therefore being in debt to Vic. I can see Vic trying to recruit Dutch into being a bit crooked. I think if anybody gets them in trouble for using the cash it will be Shane, that and he doesnt seem to like how well Vic has gotten along with the new guy. How will Vic handle the rapper guy and his boys taking on the Byz Lats? Will he let both sets tear each other up (i doubt it) or take out the rapper who no longer trusts him and could possibly expose his past dealings? This season is off to an interesting start indeed.

Tycho
03-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Heheh - this thread will quickly turn into a "How they can get away with it" thread.

My suggestion: the Gangsta Rappers already broke their end of the deal by hitting the Biz Lats. Great. Vic owes them nothing.

They're using the bad money to buy guns the same time the gangs are, right?

They encourage a double cross, get everyone else killed, and pin the money on one of the dead gangs, and they get out of it.

If they wake up, they'll realize they can't use that cash!

kool-aid killer
03-11-2004, 08:18 PM
According to the "On the next all new Shield..." announcement on FX last night it looks like the Byz Lats end up catching Vic and his crew, but i think he will slip out of it by being rescued by Tavon, therefore making them all in debt to him and possibly cutting him in on their dealings. I suspect at one point somebody will use the marked money and after that has occured Vic will learn of the money being marked. What happens after that (assuming it does play out that way, i have a hunch it will) is up in the air.

Tycho
03-12-2004, 02:38 AM
Let's vote: Do we want to see Vic and the Strike Team profit by crime?

Tough call for me. I'd say "I guess so." They pick on the bad guys to profit from, but if they could make a legitimate income that'd pay for Vic's kid's special schooling etc., that'd satisfy me. The only thing is that these guys are way stupid and have no idea how to make bundles of legal, legitimate money. The only thing is, Vic needs it sooner than later for his kid. (In that case, get a government grant, idiot! There's tons of free money out there, and Vic's kid medically qualifies for it!) Of course a show about a Dad getting an autistic kid a grant for his private education would be on the Lifetime channel, not F/X "sex and violence" timeslot - but "dad" getting himself busted or killed is not going to do the kid any good. Shane can get himself a good time in spite of his debt and income. Now the other guy should try and get some funds or something to fix his face. That's a bit trickier, since it's harder to justify medical need.

In any case, if they all "get away with it" by sheer dumb luck, it'll make a good story, but stupid characters seem a bit disappointing.

But for the story's sake: I vote "yes, let them profit by crime." Seems to me the only thing they're good at planning.

James Boba Fettfield
03-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I can't see them keeping this money. It seems like the show wouldn't work when all of these guys are rich. Something's going to happen with that money and they're not going to have it anymore. If they do keep it and everything works out, I'll be shocked.

The only thing I want to see them make from crime is the satisfaction of knowing they knocked around a lot of punks and thugs who deserve nothing more than a long beating.

Tycho
04-07-2004, 03:20 AM
DUDE! We have to talk about The Shield!

Man, there are times when David's character gets really annoying, but what those guys did to him was sooooo wrong! I'd want blood! Dude - that's a case for capital punishment right there. You know that picture is going to come back into play.

Holy crap. That was THE MOST SHOCKING EPISODE of The Shield that I ever saw!

If it was me, man I'd test whether those guys were really serious about shooting him. I'd risk trying to slap that gun out of my face. If the guy wasn't committed to shooting...well I'd live and maybe win the day with my dignity. But if he was committed to the kill, I guess it'd be the last thing I'd learn the hard way, but it beats living with the lesson they taught him.

James Boba Fettfield
04-07-2004, 04:30 AM
And to think, he has Vic to thank for those guys even being there.

I can sort of understand why the one guy was doing what he did to him, after what Vic did to him with the pipe to get some information. It was his way of paying back the cops, because you could see that gleam in his eye when he learned David was a cop. Again, just another thing to thank Vic for. I could only imagine what he would do if he learned this stuff about Vic and his strike team.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Yet another SHOCKING episode...I don't know how it's possible, but this show gets better every episode.

Tycho, I agree with yas...David is jerk most of the time, but he certainly didn't deserve that!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that one.

And isn't every rotten thing that happens in this show tied to Vic somehow, somewhere hehe :eek: But I LOVE that guy no matter how bad*** he can be, I love him?? :)

kool-aid killer
04-07-2004, 03:04 PM
So who thinks Tavon will pull out and remember what happened? I was disappointed to see what happened to him, but not suprised.

Crazy what happened to Aceveda. It will be interesting to see how the photo resurfaces... probably during his running for election.

Tuesday night has really turned into my best night for tube watching.

sith_killer_99
04-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dutch suspects something "bad" happened to Aceveda.

Tycho
04-07-2004, 05:40 PM
I didn't see Dutch coming into the investigation, but that's a distinct possibility.

My friend says he thinks Vic will find out what happened to David, and decide that messing with a cop goes too far, and bust those guys good. He'll discover the picture, but keep it a secret for David, making David into his "angel upstairs" like Dept. Chief Gillroy used to be.

This makes Claudette the new heavy. And with her relationship with Dutch...yeah I could see where this might go.

My friend also thinks that maybe Shane will get killed! A main character? But The Shield breaks all the rules. But the idea is that ever since Terry got killed - (1st episode) Shane and Vic have been the 2 hot heads on edge. Shane is always a little less in control of himself though. So would Vic kill Shane? Over Tavon? Nah...

It was still self-defense. Tavon tackled Shane because he said some pretty ugly things to him (not to mention Tavon shouldn't have had his hands on Shane's woman right when he walked through the door - oh talk about bad timing!) But man, the show is getting pretty juicy now!

Deoxyribonucleic
04-07-2004, 07:41 PM
My friend says he thinks Vic will find out what happened to David, and decide that messing with a cop goes too far, and bust those guys good. He'll discover the picture, but keep it a secret for David, making David into his "angel upstairs" like Dept. Chief Gillroy used to be.

This makes Claudette the new heavy. And with her relationship with Dutch...yeah I could see where this might go.

I like, I liiiiiike!!

I don't like though that they made Claudette the "heavy" this season because I really like her character, she's really trying to keep things "right" but I also understand Vic's POV...sometimes you really have to be a criminal to catch a criminal, kinda sucks but it's true.

The black gay guy is boring, he reminds me of the white gay guy on Melrose Place....put in the show for what reason? Can someone remind me? There's nothing he does I find interesting in ANY of the seasons and not because he's gay, just because he's BORRRRRRRRING!!! :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, can't wait to see how this season unfolds!

kool-aid killer
04-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Off all involved, Shane seems to be the least smartest and most likely to do something that will get them in hot water. I have a hard time picturing Vic taking Tavon over Shane, unless Tavon can open up different avenues.

Tavon wasnt feeling on Shanes girl in a suggestive way, he was trying to feel the baby kick, most likely at the womans consent.

DNA, Julien does seem like a boring character. But i suppose his role and the lady's is just to be secondary characters in uniform.

kool-aid killer
04-14-2004, 09:52 AM
So what did you guys and gals think of last nights episode? We see Julien get involved with Vic but not willing to take the plunge. His role seems to be of a conflicted cop who struggles with making choices. We see Aceveda looking for his assailants discretly, and Shane and Lemonhead trying to get the money train numbers. Dutch is struggling to find his rapist, it seemed like the first time i had seen him without the "swagger" he usually has when hes involved in a case. Funniest part was seeing Shane dressed up and mingling with the gigolos.

James Boba Fettfield
04-14-2004, 10:03 AM
I thought the episode was going to be better than what it was. It was cool seeing Julien with Vic looking for the murderer, it just seemed like they belonged together.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
I have to agree with K-AK that it's not as good as I thought, but next weeks looks great, plus there's a marathon tonight of the first six episodes of this season.

I was glad to finally see Julian's character doing something substantial with Vic, he actually does possess a pair of b***s, wow, I'm amazed.

I like the conflict going through Aceveda's mind too, as he tries to run the station but you know the whole time he's got "revenge" on his mind...this guy is a really good actor I think.

Dutch is Dutch, :) he's one of my favorites next to Vic and Shane is REALLY getting on my nerves these days...he reminds me of the character Hudson (Bill Paxton) in Aliens!! :alien:

James Boba Fettfield
05-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Tonight's episode isn't over yet, but I had to post about the big money train revelation! This is getting very scary for the strike team after the big mistake made tonight. Man, I cannot express how great this season has been!

Well, 12 more minutes left of the show, I'll get back to watching the rest of it.

Tycho
05-05-2004, 10:55 AM
I am so thrilled with this show, especially after the previews for next week's show. Looks like David is going to kill the guys that forced him to capitulate before. I can't believe he told his wife, but Aurora is one of those women who have to know everything - and a woman's tears always works. I like the way he's setting those guys up, and it's cool to see him cross so far over the line. A true new direction for the character.

Now I never suspected Shane's girl for being the one to get the $7000. But it's predictable that he's too stupid to tell Vic and the team about it. Or they'll think it was him, instead of her. Then again, if Vic has the picture of David on the gang-banger's cell phone, he could "convince him" that Shane's girl's mom runs the Armenian mob from her rest home in the desert ;)

Still nothing about Tebon whose still in the hospital.

Meanwhile, here's the worst case scenario: Vic's wife was not beaten up by that street thug, but by the dude that's teaching her son - because she wasn't all he wanted, and maybe he did something to Vic's daughter. That's about as sick and dark of a plot as I can think of. I doubt it - but they could go there. And man is Vic going to execute that dude. One way or another, you know that might be coming anyway. Then again, his daughter might just be acting out the typical teenage reaction to divorce and "mom starting to date again." Who knows?

Next week's episode might be the season's best so far!

kool-aid killer
05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
I wasnt suprised that a 1-9'er lynched the boy who was painting the mural. I seen that twist but not Shane's girl taking the money. I would think she would have taken more just to keep her mother set for a longer period of time. She seems like shes going to be a liability to the already boneheaded Shane. Vic did a great job of playing the decoy squad and Claudette off each other, now hes back in his role. I think Captain Aceveda will take care of the two Byz Lats who assaulted him, but wont be able to locate the phone and if/when somebody does, the picture will already have circulated. Next weeks looks to be exciting, im sure i wont be disappointed.

Tycho
05-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Put really simply, I wonder if Dutch arrested the wrong guy? It was a long time following leads, but then it seemed too easy at the end. He saw the figurines…

Did they dust them for prints of the victims? That would prove they belonged to the Cuddler’s victims. He could have just made a big professional blunder.

What’s David going to do now that he’s got his “lover” behind bars? Man don’t you hate that dude? I want David to kill him, kick the crap out of him, or something like that.

What’s with his gang boss? He’s always doing you-know-what with that girl when Vic comes barging in. Heheheh. Good taste.

kool-aid killer
05-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Acevedas friend is annoying to me too. Hes just got a goofy look to him. He looks more like a druggie than a gangbanger. I thought Aceveda was going to shoot him, but from what it sounded like in the interrogation room, he had it all planned out to keep him quiet while in prison. I wonder if thats the end of that or if another turn (such as the photo) will come to play later. It did seem to quick of a capture for the cuddler rapist in that one episode, but i suppose they had to get somebody at some point. Now we will have to just wait and see if its the right one or not. I wonder if Vic will turn on Diagur, who has said he will go to Aceveda to keep his gang afloat, just to keep the Captain off their backs for the money train should the gang boss choose to speak with Aceveda. Or whether they will iron out their differences and continue to be partners in a sense. What about Claudettes admirer? Didnt anticipate that happening anytime soon. What about Julien? Beds going to need some new springs methinks.

James Boba Fettfield
05-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm sure that guy they arrested is the rapist. I can't see an innocent man being so calm about being arrested for rape and murder.

As for that bed shaking scene: :eek:

kool-aid killer
05-19-2004, 01:55 PM
So what happened with last nights episode? Due to having to work until 11 now i will be missing out on the show. I can always catch the rerun on Sunday night, but the lack of comments this morning makes me wonder if this episode wasnt too exciting.

Tycho
05-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Dutch killed his cat. Seriously. He choked it.

It wasn't a great episode. Some interesting parts.

Vic had Danni go undercover as a pill addict to break a ring transporting Rush Limbaugh's pharmaceuticals (joking only about the part about Rush- s.o.s. though). It was a very fast storyline seemingly just to give them something to do, but by breaking that ring, the leader could turn them onto every organized crime operation in Farmington, and so Vic is using him with Aceveda to make their biggest bust in years. If the story developed slower, it might be more interesting, but I think it was put in to move the plot up to the point of doing all that, or just to give the other characters something to do.

Dutch was interviewing the Grandma-cuddler-rapist and that was more interesting. He confessed right away because he said he wanted Dutch to figure out why he did what he did. Turns out he killed a puppy when he was a kid, and seemed attracted to killing things ever since. He didn't think Dutch understood him or believed him, so he wanted to just go to court and plead guilty and get locked up. So Dutch went home and killed his cat??? Whatever. Weird. I used to think Dutch was going to be the one (with Claudette) to clean up Farmington. Now I think that dirty cop Vic will one day play the hero for bringing Dutch with his cat-killing, kid raping, child porn, prostitute murders etc. all down. I think Dutch fantasizes about doing all the things he tries to understand to catch his killers. It could be only a matter of time before his less than mediocre sex life causes him to seek new thrills. It all starts with one cat...

Anyway, the episode would have been better with more of Dutch and less of all this other crap.

Mara's mother's still being a pain, but is supposedly cooperating with Shane to cover it all up. Vic went off on Mara for showing up at the Barn and discussing the money cover up. Shane is denying reality that there is more bad than good coming from his relationship, and he's trying to get Mara to run to Las Vegas to marry him now. I used to think Mara was bad news, now I think her mother is worse.

Vic's youngest daughter is showing signs of autism, and she and Matthew are biting each other, and Matthew will be kicked out of his special school for biting the other children. Maybe Vic's son and Dutch should hang out and look for cats. Anyway, the tutor that his wife was banging is gone to Phoenix and there is no one to replace him. Vic might be coming home to take care of his family, but he's still with that other lady cop, who's bf is now saying he'll commit suicide if his girl leaves him. That'll all blow up at the most inconvenient time.

I suggest that if David likes men now more than his wife, they hook the bf up with him, so Vic can have his little affair :rolleyes:

Anyway, watching Dutch turn into a psychopath is really the drama that will keep me coming back to watch this show now.

derek
05-19-2004, 04:41 PM
yea, last nights episode was kinda slow. but when dutch killed that kat, that was just wierd. it seemed too real and i felt kinda uncomfortable watching it. we've seen thousands of people "die" on TV, but when they kill off a cat, that just seemed wrong. :eek: