PDA

View Full Version : I miss Tales from the Crypt. (Now with DVD news!)

2-1B
03-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I really do.:)

I wish HBO would revive the series or at least play the old episodes once in awhile. I rented a VHS tape from my local video store, the only tape they had, and I really enjoyed it today. It featured these three episodes:

-Demi Moore as a gold digger who marries Jeffrey Tambor (in a fat suit).

-William Hickey aka Uncle Lewis from Christmas Vacation who gets a body transplant to win the much younger girl of his dreams, played by Kelly Preston. This episode was co-hosted and directed by the Governor of California.

-Lance Henriksen in a HILARIOUS episode of extreme gambling featuring a very tense scene of Russian Roulette.

During a rare visit to KMart last week I noticed a Crypt DVD for $5.99 which features 3 episodes directed by Zemeckis. I couldn't resist and while I haven't watched it yet, I vaguely recall the episodes:

-Scary Larry Drake aka Dr. Giggles aka Benny from LA Law as a crazed killer in a Santa costume.

-Dan Aykroyd and Kirk Douglas as WW2 era(?) soldiers . . . I can't remember the surprise in this story but I think I remember enjoying it.

-The episode which follows the perception of a dead guy who looks like Humphrey Bogart (was this the series finale?).

There are so many good episodes to this show and I'd love to see them all again. I remember the one with Brion James as a lumberjack. He blinds a guy for being intimate with his wife and by the end of the show the blind guy is a master logger and he gets to cut through Brion James and his wife while they are tied and gagged. Good episode ! :)

James Boba Fettfield
03-07-2004, 11:57 PM
-The episode which follows the perception of a dead guy who looks like Humphrey Bogart (was this the series finale?).

No, it was not. The final episode, if I remember, was an animated episode about the three pigs with Bobcat Goldthwait lending his voice to the wolf. It premiered on Fox on a Friday as part of an hour long showing of Tales. The other story in the hour timeslot I believe was a repeat and I think it starred Eddie Izzard. Forgive me if I messed any of this information up, but it's been awhile since I watched the tape I have of that episode.

I'll share my favorites, too.

There was an episode about a boy who was forbidden to go outside by his parents (I think he was adopted or something) and his parents would leave the house every night. The boy forms a strong friendship with the butler, played by the aforementioned Larry Drake. The boy ends up being a werewolf and his parents are vampires. It's a great episode and it's a lot better than my feeble description makes it sound.

Another episode was about a felon being chased down by a cop. To make a long description short, the felon ends up having the cop handcuffed to him and the cop dies. So the felon gets to carry this cop's dead body around with him in the desert.

There's another episode involving a mortician and his nephew. Well, I think it was his nephew. The mortician is a rotten character and he eventually kills his nephew for some dumb reason. The mortician has to cut his nephew's legs so that his body can fit in this coffin (his nephew was tall)....Well, let's just say the mortician gets a very creepy visit from the cut off legs at the end of the story.

2-1B
03-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Interesting . . . so did the show move to Fox after HBO ?
I know there were edited cuts of the show sold off to syndication but this is news to me. :)

James Boba Fettfield
03-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Caesar, I'm not 100% sure about it's move to Fox. I believe toward the end of Crypt's run, the show went to Fox for new episodes. Don't hold me to that, but I'm looking for information right now that will help confirm that.

The show did have syndication with SciFi and AMC, but this was just within the last few years. Fox was showing Tales episodes (obviously cut from their original HBO broadcasts) as part of their Friday lineup. I think eventually Fox was showing new episodes produced just for Fox, like that Three Pigs episode.

I could be wrong about this info, though. It's been quite awhile since all this happened. 7 years or so, I estimate.

James Boba Fettfield
10-15-2004, 03:32 PM
I was just going to send a PM to Caesar about this documentary dvd news, but I thought maybe some others might be interested in it.

Anyway, Dread Central has a story about a Tales documentary dvd being released later this month. It seems to focus on the comics and their influence, but I thought fans of the show would be interested, too.

http://www.cryptdvd.com/

Here's hoping for replies.

El Chuxter
10-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Y'know, just the other day I was listening to Elfman's Music For a Darkened Theater Vol 2 and thinking, "Man, someone ought to bring back Tales from the Crypt."

It's been a generation now. I think quality horror movies in theaters, using the original opening sequence and featuring the requisite intro and epilogue with the Crypt Keeper would be excellent. Kinda like a cross between the series proper and Demon Knight. (Bordello of Blood wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but let's leave it out of this.)

Imagine Elfman's theme playing on theater sound systems, as we take a trip into the crypt on an enormous wide screen. . . then how many of the folks who are too young to know the greatest of the Crypt Keeper would pee in their pants at the end of the intro?

And if they ever get around to releasing the series on DVD, it must have commentary by the Crypt Keeper. Character commentaries are generally a silly idea, but this would work so well.

Lord Malakite
10-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Demon Knight was awsome. :cool:

Two favorite episodes of mine are the guy that retires then tries to find a hobby and the dead detective.

The guy looking for a hobby ends up killing and stuffing all his wife's pets, so she stuffs him in the end. :D

The dead detective is about this detective who gets murdered, but instead of going on to some sort afterlife in heaven like everyone believes, he finds out that he is trapped in his corpse still and is like "This is it?". So the whole episode deals with disposing of the corpse and so forth, from the corpse's point of view. lol

James Boba Fettfield
10-15-2004, 06:44 PM
And if they ever get around to releasing the series on DVD, it must have commentary by the Crypt Keeper. Character commentaries are generally a silly idea, but this would work so well.

If John Kassir (voice of Cryptkeeper) is speaking the truth, then this show is supposed to be on dvd in 2005. I just hope those episodes come uncut and there's not mess ups like what happened with the Ren and Stimpy set. It worries me when they put out syndicated episodes and not the original episodes as they were for initial broadcast.

And Malakite, everyone knows the best episode was The Secret. ;)

2-1B
10-16-2004, 03:45 AM
What was The Secret ? Give me a general outline to see if I recall.

Hey, the WW2 episode with the Douglas family was fantastic ! Even better than I recalled. Heh, they had Lance Henrikson in that one, too.

Thanks for the info, Jaymz . . . man, I'm going to have to check out that DVD. Looks like a passionate tribute to EC.
Can't wait to get Romero's perspective.
You know, I've never been a real fan of comics but I'll bet you that if I was growing up in the mid-50s, I would be ALL OVER these little gems. What a couple of visionaries . . . pushing the boundaries as they did to get themselves banned.
I'm a child of the 80s so my medium of choice is film but in another day I would be an EC reader.

sorry Chux, I can't leave Bordello of Blood out of this because I love that movie, I really do. Well, I'm a HUGE Dennis Miller fan so he really cracks me up in that film but I can see how/why some people would hate it. At many times, it doesn't feel all that "Crypt"-ish to me but the ending makes up for it. ;)

Heck yeah, Bordello of Blood rocks. On the negative side, I have to wonder if the movie wasn't a big mistake in terms of the overall success of the franchise. :(

James Boba Fettfield
10-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Taken from tvtome's site:

Theodore is a 12 year old orphan who gets adopted by an unusual couple who lock him up in the attic. They are always working and he never gets to go and have some fun. Little does he know that his new parents harbor a dark secret. Little do they know he harbors a secret of his own.

It's the episode I described back some months when this thread first started. I don't know why I like the episode so much. I guess it's the ending. There's something about that orphan surprising his step parents with the fact he is a werewolf that makes me happy.

James Boba Fettfield
04-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Title: Tales from the Crypt
Starring: John Kassir (Voice)
Released: 12th July 2005
SRP: $26.98

Further Details
Warner has announced the complete first season of Tales from the Crypt which will be arriving in shops from the 12th July this year. Based on the legendary and gruesome EC Comics from publisher William Gaines, this horror anthology featured stories of murder, the super natural, gore and humor and always had a twist ending of sorts. Some of Hollywood's biggest names took part, either working in front or behind the camera. Each of the episodes will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame along with English 2.0 Stereo Surround tracks. Extras will be included on this one, but Warner has yet to reveal what they will be.

Source (http://dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6365&n=1&burl=)

Notice the SRP. Seems cheap at first, but then you consider the release says it will be the "complete first season." According to TV Tome the first season had six episodes: The Man Who Was Death, And All Through The House, Dig That Cat...He's Real Gone, Only Sin Deep, Lover Come Hack To Me, and Collection Completed.

So this looks like just six episodes being released at first. :ermm: Wish season 2 would be included. I also hope these are the uncut versions and not their syndicated versions.

EDIT-

Making the morning DVD rounds I just went to TvShowsOnDVD and saw this little bit of added info:

Now HBO puts all six first-season episodes onto a single DVD, with a second DVD disc full of special features (the details of which haven't been revealed yet).

Guess that confirms it will just be the six episodes.

2-1B
04-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey it's a start ! :)

El Chuxter
04-08-2005, 11:53 AM
I can live with it until additional seasons are released! :D Hopefully like you said, it's the uncut versions.

2-1B
04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm not concerned - if HBO itself is involved in the DVD release there's no way they'll hack it up. :)

Beast
04-08-2005, 12:05 PM
More news on it over at TVShowsonDVD.com:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3230

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
04-11-2005, 12:14 PM
TVShowsonDVD has posted the following as a rumored list of extras for the Season 1 set:

New DVD introduction from the Cryptkeeper (voiced by John Kassir)
Featurette: "Tales From The Crypt: From Comic Books To Television"
Featurette: "The Cryptkeeper's History Of Season 1"

That second featurette sounds real familiar. Where have I heard of that title before? Oh yeah . . . http://www.cryptdvd.com/

I wonder if that list turns out to be true, if the featurette on Season 1 will have any direct relation to the 2 Disc documentary dvd.

James Boba Fettfield
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
TVshowsondvd received the cover art and here it is.

Ji'dai
04-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Well, I guess that cover art is okay. I like the overall design, it's in keeping with the show's comic book roots. I think it'd look better if the Crypt Keeper was done in comic style instead of just including a pic of the actual puppet.

2-1B
05-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Damnit I love Tales from the Crypt, so let's continue the episode by episode commentary here then, shall we ? lol

http://www.swcollecting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=543

Picking up from there, I finished disc 1 of season 3 and there are some great episodes in there:

The Trap starring Bruno Kirby and Bruce McGill as a pair of brothers. Fantastic pairing, I love the characters and it's nice to have a happy ending once in awhile on this show. :D

Loved to Death - what's up with Andrew McCarthy's eyes? That guy always creeps me out. lol Not a bad episode but not the greatest. I like it.

Carrion Death - some good stuff in that one, some cheeseball as well as some nice gore. :D

Abra Cadaver - I LOVE this one, it is one of my favorites. Great premise and it's kind of freaky.

Top Billing - probably my favorite of the season so far ? Great, great episode. Jon Lovitz is outstanding in this one, I really like him. The ending? FANTASTIC. :D :D :D

Dead Wait - directed by Tobe Hooper and I like it. Spooky when it comes to Gimli and his "condition"...I can take just about any kind of gore and blood without flinching but those worms, man that actually got to me. lol lol lol

Just a note to any new readers, I don't go in depth on these, basically just logging my reaction so I can come back to it as a refresher down the road as others watch these episodes again and post on them.

I'm watching them all in order but feel free to hop in with any comments on any episodes from any seasons. :)

UKWildcat
05-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Damnit I love Tales from the Crypt, so let's continue the episode by episode commentary here then, shall we ? lol
Sure thing Caesar... you are still going to have to give me some time to catch up though. ;)

2-1B
05-20-2006, 05:14 AM
No hurry, I'll be waiting. :D I will watch a few more tonight. ;)

2-1B
05-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Season 3 finished off pretty strong in my opinion with some really good episodes:

The Reluctant Vampire - this one rocks! It's got Malcolm McDowell and George Wendt, not to mention Paul Gleason and especially Michael Berryman as Van Helsing. :crazed: Plus it has a happy ending (well, for a Crypt episode I guess lol )

Easel Kill Ya - Tim Roth stars. Enough said! :)

Undertaking Parlor - pretty goofy and cheesy but I like it. John Glover delivers the cheese and since it stars a group of kids (including Data from The Goonie) there's going to be a goofier element to it. Fun. :) And those huge video cameras are very nostalgic. :D

Mournin' Mess - I like this one, it's one that I remember from my youth. Steven Weber plays the main character, a reporter digging for info on a homeless-charity group. He succeeds in getting to the bottom of what's been going on. lol

Split Second - Another one I recalled vividly from when I was a kid. The logging one with Brion James as a jealous boss.

Deadline - I think this was my least favorite of the last disc of season 3 but still not bad. :)

Spoiled - correction, THIS is my least favorite of this disc.

Yellow - I saw this one recently, it's on the Zemeckis DVD and it's pretty cool. Long, too, it was definitely longer than the usual 25 or so minutes for the other episodes. Good stuff.

I'm looking forward to getting to work on season 4. :thumbsup:

2-1B
05-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Jaymz, I just watched Ritual. It's not as bad as I was expecting it would be but it wasn't very good, either. I don't have much of a reaction to it other than the Cryptkeeper was terrible in this one and he doesn't even have an outro sequence at the end (though if you go through the end credits, there is an outtakes segment with him).

James Boba Fettfield
05-29-2006, 09:08 PM
So it was the real Cryptkeeper (I've seen pics of him from the film and he looked like the real deal) and no funny stuff was pulled by creating new scenes with that...thing they call the Cryptkeeper from the tv series DVD menus?

2-1B
05-29-2006, 09:27 PM
It looked to me like it was the DVD version. :(

Thing is, the movie is from 2001 so it could be a puppet different from the classic TV puppet but still different from the DVD menus...either way, it didn't feel right to me.

And he wasn't even down in his Crypt, for god's sake. :rolleyes: I don't mind his dreadlocks (Deadlocks :D ) and Jamaican accent because it fits with his tradition of playing dressup but why did it have to be "on location" ? :confused:

James Boba Fettfield
05-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Was he in the crypt for Demon Knight? I remember the opening featured him on a movie set directing a film with John Larroquette.

I think that film ended with him in the crypt, though, before he went to the movie's premiere and had his head cut off. I guess I'm saying I don't mind him not being in the crypt for this film, but the different puppet stuff does bother me.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 11:09 PM
That's a good question, I can't remember about Demon Knight so I might eat my words on that one. :confused:

For Bordello he was in the Crypt, right? Isn't that when Bill Sadler is playing the mummy?

James Boba Fettfield
05-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah, he was playing the game where they kept cutting off body parts in Bordello.

UKWildcat
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Ok Caesar... you'll be happy to know that I've finally got back onto Tales From The Crypt. I've started where I had previously left off on the second season with that only being the first disc and Ep. 4. I watched these late last night so my memory is kinda bad and I can't remember the characters names to save my life. I know I'm way behind but I'll try to refresh your memory on the episodes.

'Til Death - Dude needs money for land developing in the swamp, finds rich millonaire girl, voodoo and so forth. I thought the first half of the episode was extremely boring. It wasn't until his wife came back from the grave and chopped the one dudes head off at the dinner table until it got somewhat good. One of the best cheesy/funny parts of this episode was when he caught her on fire near the quick sand and she said "I'm burning with desire". I couldn't help but to laugh at the good cheese. Anyways, I liked how the guy tried to kill himself with the bottle labeled "Poison" but the voodoo lady brought him back at the end so he could be with his now skeleton wife "for life".

Three's a Crowd - Dude freaks out becase he fears that his wife is sleeping with a really close friend that spends tons of money on her/them. The three end up going to a cabin somewhere where the husband gets extremly jealous and goes nuts. This was another so-so episode but the ending really saved the ep. I thought it was great how they he pulled his dead wife into the one cabin/house and they were throwing them an anniversary party, also announcing that he was going to be a daddy. Classic stuff, I loved the ending.

The Thing From the Grave - Young Teri Hatcher is a model and her fiance (Miguel Ferrer) offs the man she has recently fallen for. This was another okay episode. The first half was kinda slow but the ending again made up for it. Young Teri Hatcher (I can't stress this enough as she was much hotter then, than she is now IMO) laying tied to the bed was fantastic. I loved it when the guy Ferrer killed, rose from the grave to get vengence for Hatcher. The best part was when he pulled Ferrer into the grave and started burying him alive, along with himself. It was funny but great at the same time.

Again, I apologize for not being able to remember names and whatnot. Like I said, I watched these episodes right before I went to sleep last night. Right now I am watching Disc 2, The Sacrifice. And it is ANOTHER love story. With exception to "Cutting Cards" (which is my favorite ep. off the first disc starring Lance Henriksen) the entire first disc was basically love stories; I'm looking forward to the rest of season as most of them are not.

I'll keep ya posted on my thoughts and opinions as I progress through this season and the next.

2-1B
06-08-2006, 03:02 AM
Good reviews, kind sir ! Keep 'em coming, your write ups are more informative than my little blurbs. :D

2-1B
03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
It took me awhile to get through season 4 but I finished it off today. Pretty good overall with a few duds in the mix.

2-1B
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Season 5 was pretty good as well, a few duds but enjoyable overall.

Ji'dai
09-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Is anyone familiar with the cartoon series Tales from the Cryptkeeper? It was based on the HBO live-action series and John Kassir voiced the Cryptkeeper in the toon. It ran for a couple seasons in the early 90s and the animation was done by Nelvana (who also did DROIDS & EWOKS).

I saw the Season 1 & 2 DVD (http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Cryptkeeper-Complete-Pleasant-Screams/dp/B002JHD9D2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1252815624&sr=1-2-spell) sets at the local Sam's Club Friday and was tempted to get them but wasn't sure if the stories were any good. I don't remember the cartoon at all.

2-1B
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
It was watered down for the kids (obviously) but I haven't seen it in years...as a kid though, I remember loving the HBO show but disliking the cartoon.

Ji'dai
09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I figured the cartoon would have a lighter tone than the HBO series. Still, that's not always a bad thing. Cartoons for kids can still be watchable so long as they're not too sickenly sweet. I thought it might be fun to watch for Halloween.