PDA

View Full Version : Target Cup Sets - Just Plain Stupid

mm74md
03-08-2004, 03:49 PM
I found the first two of this set at a D.C./Baltimore area Target store. Let me say that these are one of the worst ideas ever. Rehashed figures with a plastic cup...all for $10 :eek:

Kidhuman
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
SO you get twopieces of plastic junk then? I thought it was going to be glass cups. Didnt Hasbro learn that no one wanted the force flippers? So instead we get force tumblers?

Mandalorian Candidat
03-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Didnt Hasbro learn that no one wanted the force flippers? So instead we get force tumblers?

Ba dum! Thanks folks! Don't forget to tip your waitress! ;)

Are the cups at least dishwasher safe for those of us who are going to open them up and use them?

bobafrett
03-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Ba dum! Thanks folks! Don't forget to tip your waitress! ;)

Are the cups at least dishwasher safe for those of us who are going to open them up and use them?

Sure they are, just as long as you don't mind peeling the painted image off the bottom of your dishwasher!

Actually I have no idea. I doubt they would stand up in a microwave though. I've bought plastic cups that tell you never to use them in a microwave. Don't know anout these glasses though.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-09-2004, 11:23 AM
I found the OB1 one last night (the figure's the same as the one from POTJ, right?) and the cup looked like it was made from similar plastic to some cups we have at home. Unfortunately they now look like abstract art after a few trips through old washey.

bobafrett
03-09-2004, 02:08 PM
So are these being found in the toy department?

Kidhuman
03-09-2004, 04:24 PM
So are these being found in the toy department?

That they are

TheDarthVader
03-09-2004, 04:49 PM
I found these today. They had one Maul and one Kenobi. They both suck and I am not going to be buying these. If the snowspeeder Luke has a removeable helmet, I will get him...MAYBE. The glasses are crap and could have been better if they'd been made of glass (what a novel idea).

bobafrett
03-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Well I saw the first two Target Cup Sets and I bought them, because I am - Just Plain Stupid! (See I worked the title into my post!) But, yes I did buy the Maul and Obi Wan cups, stupid little habit of mine. Had I seen other regular figures on the Target pegs though, the cups would have still been on the shelf. I needed a SW toy fix.

Lazer Brain
03-15-2004, 10:09 AM
LESS THAN STELLAR...I saw the cups this weekend , and was not impressed. I saved my money and spent it at the flea market.
later

B'Omarr Monkey
03-18-2004, 09:18 PM
I saw Maul and Ben with their cups, and passed on them as well. The images on the cups are not as nice as the Burger King glasses from way back when, and combined with figures that were being clearanced for $1.99 not all that long ago, I just couldn't do it. The packaging was even dull as can be. If they were somewhat harder to come by figures that I could pass on to my kids (they already have these at $1.99 no less) I would have considered it.

The same Target had 3 of the 4 cinema scenes, or whatever they're called (geonosian War Room, Jedi High Council) for $9.98 each, which I only found by accident by bypassing a busy part of the store by cutting behind the stationery aisle, which is where they were all on display. Go figure! These, whicch I'd never laid eyes on before seemed to be a much better deal for $10, and now I know where to look for these cup and figure sets in a few months time, where I may buy them at $2.98 each.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Hmmm, they seem destined to be clearance items. Just can't believe there are few suckers out there that would be duped by this dung Hasbro is putting out. Why a cup too? Why not release these figures with a mini-toilet for which it better suits them?

Darth Alex
04-19-2004, 04:49 PM
As of 4/19/04, the first two cups have yet to hit Central and NE PA.
I can't even find things I don't really need...

IMFETTUP
04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Just recently saw the new cups and had to pass. Don't like the figures and surley don't like the cups! I'll save my money for more exciting things to come!:crazed: When the Slave Leia comes out, I might consider buying.

Turbowars
04-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Funny how most here don't like them, but yet everytime the Targets around here get them in, they sell. Go figure. They kind of look cool, but would be even cooler if they were new figures.

The 'Xir
04-19-2004, 10:55 PM
I picked the set of 'em up last night, I don't know, I didn't think they were that bad! The Maul cup is definitely the better of the two, would it have been better if they were glass? Well sure, but you know how liability Insurance works, and probably why we've never seen any actual glass collectibles out to support the PT! Remember TPM, and the big 32oz plastic cups from KFC/The Hut/and The Bell! Stores and the licencees don't want to be responsible, wether through shipping or at point of purchase, for any accidental breakage and lawsuits to follow!
Hey, I hope you guys don't buy any of these. that's how collectibles become valuable! They sit in stores, get returned to regional wharehouses and/or the manufacturers, are attempted to be dumped to secondary stores to recoup production costs, where they are then sold for a quarter of the price, and the smart ones pick'em all up, while the sets that aren't dumped go back to be repackaged as something else, all which make the original set limited in number and availability, and 20 years from now I'll sell sell my sets to you non-buyers/or Japanese colectors on ebay for $500! :p :D :crazed:
OK maybe not. :ermm:

Rocketboy
04-20-2004, 12:17 PM
I like the cups. Probably because I have many of the original ones.
I do wish they were glass though, but I can see why they are plastic.
First problem with glass is shipping. Just look how bad regular figures get beat up in shipping.
Second, glass items packed with a figure in the toy aisle? Doesn't add up.
I think they could have corrected both of these problem by seeling them online.
I think I'll still pick them up eventually.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Remember TPM, and the big 32oz plastic cups from KFC/The Hut/and The Bell!

Yes. Yes I do remember them. I still have one Anakin cup that I use quite frequently in the AM when I have a SlimFast. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I have that cup. :crazed:

karinations
04-22-2004, 02:35 AM
OK which figures are "new".
Meaning ANY slight difference, paint application or othewise.
None of them look "new" from seeing the pictures.
I'm thinking the Luke pilot one maybe?

-V-

http://www.karinations.com

Mandalorian Candidat
04-22-2004, 10:33 AM
OK which figures are "new".
Meaning ANY slight difference, paint application or othewise.
None of them look "new" from seeing the pictures.
I'm thinking the Luke pilot one maybe?

Nah. They're all rehashed. The Pilot Luke figure is the only one I'm planning on getting but I've seen two different pictures of it. One looks like the red carded POTF2 figure and the other, more recent one appears to be the POTJ version.