PDA

View Full Version : Metallica Live

arctangent
03-10-2004, 04:01 AM
i have just downloaded one of the metallica live shows from their current tour available from www.livemetallica.com and i have to say metallica still rock live. they have only just started the tour so there are only four dates up at the moment but i just had to have the third show of the tour from LA. cracking set list and they played a long version of am i evil and they played dyers eve in its entirity for the first time ever.

they are making all 34 of their shows available, a la pearl jam, except you have to burn your own cd from the mp3/flac files. pretty good quality for mp3 files too and good value too - over two hours for $9.95.

anyone else bought any of the other shows so far?

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2004, 06:58 AM
What gets me about all of this is that the four guys of Metallica were asked what they thought about Pearl Jam doing this very same thing, and they all laughed at the idea.

Maybe it's because of the Dyers Eve situation. They know fans have been asking for that one for a long time. Whatever their reasoning, they picked a good time to offer this to fans. They're changing up things and bringing out the hardly played songs like Holier Than Thou (didn't James say he thought this song was bad?) and Ride The Lightning and Fight Fire With Fire.

I'm holding off on buying now. I'd rather own the Cincy and Columbus shows, instead of shows I have not attended for this tour. Of course, if they skip over playing Dyers Eve at those two dates, well, I'll be forced into getting their early CA shows.

Now wait for the SKOM documentary to arrive so I can hear some unreleased material, and all will be right with this Metallica fanatic.

arctangent
03-10-2004, 08:01 AM
i don't know why they should have laughed at pearl jam for doing it. i own several of the pearl jam live cds and every one is excellent and completely different. i guess metallica never used to change their set every night like pearl jam but now they have started to, so it now makes sense to them to do this.

i wish more groups would do this. i, for one think its a damn good idea.

evenflow
03-10-2004, 08:59 AM
I think they only reason they are doing all of this because St. Anger sucks beyond belief and they know it. They want to save some face and play old stuff that the people want to hear becaus eif they were only playing St. Anger stuff no one woul dbe going tot the shows.

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Well, whenever they put out an album and tour in support of the album, they don't play just songs off their new album. I think playing Anger, Frantic, Unnamed, and Dirty is good for supporting the album on this tour. Maybe if they only played songs from the Cliff Burton era then that belief might hold true.

And arc, they were asked what they thought about PJ doing the same thing they're doing now and their responses varied, but it looked as if they all agreed that it should be up to fans to bootleg shows.

arctangent
03-11-2004, 03:57 AM
i actually like st. anger as an album. its really grown on me. they do seem to be playing a fairly balanced amount of songs from most of their albums from what i have seen so far.

as for fans bootlegging shows, here in the uk that is almost impossible - security as you go into a show is very tight and at many venues you get body searched and if you are carrying anything the security guys consider unacceptable you are ejected. i used to take my camera into shows in the 80's and early 90's and used to get some pretty good shots but now its not worth the risk of having my camera confiscated and being thrown out of the show. and obviously living in the uk, i can't get to see these shows, so i am glad they are releasing them.

James Boba Fettfield
03-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Don't get me wrong fellow metal head, I'm glad they're doing this, too. I just thought it odd to see them have this sort of turnaround after their comments.

How's the crowd noise on those recordings? I'm guessing it's not there since these are off the soundboard like their Metallica vault shows.

Now if my dream would come true, these guys would release the recordings of their stint as "Bob's Band" and then put out the show of their HQ Party they had for lucky fans. Then Dead Kennedy Roll would finally be available, and I could be a happier Met fan.

arctangent
03-11-2004, 10:05 AM
the crowd noise is there but does fluctuate a bit. mostly its very much in the background. there are times when you can hear them pretty well - they sound fairly loud at the start of and during creeping death, for example but there are other times when james stops singing and you can barely hear them. for what it is and what it cost i am fairly happy with the one i got and if there are others with a sufficiently different set list i would certainly order more.

El Chuxter
03-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Is this related to metallicavault.com?

James Boba Fettfield
03-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Metallicavault.com was free, this costs $10-$13 for each show you download.