PDA

View Full Version : DISH sucks!

CaptainSolo1138
03-10-2004, 12:08 PM
With their new changes to the channel line up "for the good of the customer" I can't watch Comedy Central at work now (insert lazy joke here, I don't care :D )! How am I supposed to go on without "Insomniac" and "Chappelle's Show"??

Mandalorian Candidat
03-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Have you looked at channel 101 (FYI station)? The CEO explains their side of the story about how they (Viacom) are jacking up the cost of their package (CC, MTV, VH1, Nick, Noggin) 40%, which is several times the rate of inflation. If Dish accepts then our bills go up (according to them). I don't know what Viacom's side of the story is (it's probably at the other extreme) so I'd like to hear it.

They're trying to make up for it by giving us a $1 credit (whoop-de-do) and four channels-some lame video station, a Disney cartoon station, and two others. Why don't they just give us TMC, FX, or some other good stations that we would have to pay more to get?

JON9000
03-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Satellite and cable rates are awful. I live alone so I don't have either. But I see echostar's point, 40% in one year is robbery. There is no justification on Viacom's part for this. It's gouging, and I think Echostar is doing the right thing by shooting the hostage, at least for awhile!

Kidhuman
03-10-2004, 06:39 PM
I have DirectTV and am glad they still have the channels. Whilwe I dont watch MTV, Ido watch Com. Central some.

QLD
03-10-2004, 06:43 PM
I think part of the issue is, that Viacom was forcing them to take all of their channels in one package, in order to be able to broadcast some local CBS affiliates.

JediTricks
03-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Cable rates are already outrageous, how Viacom thinks they can raise their fees to cable's alternative so high and expect to walk away unscathed is beyond me. That's the problem with this media-gianting, there's just too much of a monopoly to be had here. Just in broadcast, with the FCC easing restrictions on how many stations someone can own recently, Viacom now controls channels 2, 9, and 13 here in LA; then add cable or satellite to the mix and you've got Spike, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, and TV Land (plus half of those have digital cable offshoots such as MTV2 and The "N"), that's just off the top of my head, there might be more.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-10-2004, 09:56 PM
You're kidding, JT, right? I know radio was deregulated so multiple stations in a market could be owned by a single company but aren't TV stations still one a market per owner?

When Disney bought ABC/Cap. City they had to sell KCAL-9 cause channel 4 is owned by ABC. Having a single owner for more than one station is garbage because that centralizes media and thus what can be aired. It's like too much government interference. One entity with that much power is not a good thing.

JediTricks
03-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Channel 7 is actually the one owned by ABC, not 4.

Yes, there were congressional hearings last year and I believe Fox owner Rupert Murdoch testified in favor of relaxing the regulations of media ownership, which indirectly allowed him to purchase DirecTV (also, promises were made in regards to giving more local access to viewers which turned out to be a sham). Apparently, after the relaxation of said regulations and media giants started buying stuff up, there were court ruling ping-ponging the decison from standing to repealing.

And yes, when Disney bought ABC, they had to sell KCAL 9 because Disney owned it before they bought ABC and couldn't have 2 stations in 1 market at that time. I don't know when KCAL 9 got sold, but I know there were no buyers for years before it eventually ended up in Viacom's hands. And when Viacom bought CBS, I think it was after the relaxation of said FCC regs, and strangely, KCAL 9 and KCBS 2 here in LA started sharing staff including on-air news staff.

2-1B
03-11-2004, 02:09 AM
I almost started a thread on this yesterday but decided not to since there would be too many expletives in my post. What an absolute joke . . . I just might call those phone numbers and have a go at somebody over this.

I could not care less about MTV but Comedy Central and VH1 are enjoyed by me on occasion.

Man Can, you're right about F/X - that should have been dropped in immediately.

Charlie Ergen for president ! :crazed:

darthvyn
03-11-2004, 02:47 AM
i caught the daily show tonight, and it started with jon stewart talking about how dish was "taking away" CC and such... it was a funny little monologue, about how he couldn't care less if the daily show was unavailable, but when you take away people's spongebob you get pandemonium, saying they took spongebob away in haiti, and you see what happened there...

anyway, it was very depressing to see jon stewart shilling for his parent company... and i'm pretty sure i heard a little bit of him die right there on the set while he did it...

flirting with credibility no more...

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Channel 7 is actually the one owned by ABC, not 4.

That's right. I'm getting my UT and LA channels mixed up.

I just found out last night that CBS was removed from the local channels that DISH offers. The CC/MTV/Nick thing really ticks me off, but this is over the top. It's a freaking free channel that you can get as long as you don't live in a cave or on a mountain! What a bunch of crap.

I was reading my school newspaper and they print that Viacom issued a statement that DISH recently raised viewer fees by $3 and that DISH is unwilling to pony up six cents per subscriber to continue Viacom channel distribution.

I remember that the fees did go up a couple of bucks, but most of that was due to an increase in local taxes. Before that my prices were fixed for a year.

The truth must lie between the two disputes because I don't see DISH stopping programming for 6-8 channels over 6 cents/month.

CBS needs to be put back on ASAP and DISH needs to give us some decent compensation in the meantime like F/X or one movie channel.

EDIT BELOW

Just now I went looking for viacom's complaint outlet on their web site and found the following press release... (http://www.viacom.com/press.tin?ixPressRelease=80254210)

At least the negotiators were working to get this resolved. Now I can watch CSI tonight static free!

Capitan_Moroni
03-11-2004, 11:39 AM
I turned on the TV this morning to watch ER and the dispute is over. Those channels are back. :classic:

darthvyn
03-11-2004, 11:56 AM
it's still upsetting that a corporation can own that much property and just squeeze blood from a stone like that... i don't know...

mabudonicus
03-11-2004, 01:25 PM
I guess mentioning Wal-Mart would be too off-topic,here :beard:, eh Vyn??

This is the kind of thingthat came up in the "goodbye to childrens programming" thread, I mentioned that the monopoly was expanding and that the stone-squeezing was set to begin, and this looks like the first volley... with the level of vertical integration of Viacom's holdings most of the "reasons" for this are baloney, plain and simple...
being able to justify nutty stuff like this doesn't matter, whatcha gonna do??

jjreason
03-11-2004, 07:43 PM
I guess it's starting to look like more government sanctions will have to be imposed to regulate the ownership of media. Political backtracking, yes, but how else can they monitor it? Maybe they don't want to. I'd hate to have to ask myself whom I trust more - government regulators of media or the mass media itself, that's a scary thought.

It's becoming more important than ever to stay in touch with reality - people that understand what's wrong with the media and their message, and aren't afraid to speak out a little bit - so we don't just swallow it hook line and sinker.

Hellboy
03-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Well I'm glad the problem has been solved for you DISH subscribers. Fortunately I have Directv because I wanted to get the NFL Sunday Ticket and they have exclusive rights so I wasn't effected. Problems like this and raising subscription prices at a much higher rate than inflation are why I ditched my local monopoly cable company years ago. Hopefully this practice won't start becoming the norm in the world of Satellite television.