PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

JediTricks
05-02-2008, 04:12 AM
I think I had one of those when I was really little, but only had one so I thought it was a He-Man toy.That's a different thing, there were Masters of the Universe rock guys who transformed as well, they were different from the Go-Bots spin-off "Rock Lords" though.

MOTU figs Stondar and Rokkon: http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/toys/html/collector_guides/motu_class/toy_pages/stonedar.shtml
http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/toys/html/collector_guides/motu_class/toy_pages/rokkon.shtml

Rock Lords: http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/rocklords.htm

Yuck!

Adam
05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Ah you are right, that first one was the one I had.

Adam
05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm just taking a guess but since Chaddy mentioned Jazz in reference to "characters coming off the same", maybe he meant how Jazz is yet another ninja bot like Prowl?

He is, but he's still Jazz as the first thing he wants to do after stepping off the Elite Guard ship is study the humans.

Chaddymac
05-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm just taking a guess but since Chaddy mentioned Jazz in reference to "characters coming off the same", maybe he meant how Jazz is yet another ninja bot like Prowl?
Yeah, Fig hit the nail on the head. I just think he's Urban Prowl. Ghetto Ninja Prowl. Prowl with new break-dancing action.

Adam
05-03-2008, 10:39 PM
True, but he also hasn't had a "spotlight" episode to flesh out his character like Prowl has had. If they do one for him, I'm sure he'll be more.. uh Jazzy?

Chaddymac
05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
True, but he also hasn't had a "spotlight" episode to flesh out his character like Prowl has had. If they do one for him, I'm sure he'll be more.. uh Jazzy?
Ha, okay. You're probably right. I'm judging too soon. I guess I just get Ultra Magnus and we've had so much time with Sentinel, (from flashbacks even before the Elite Guard showed up), that I'm impatient with Prowl. I mean Jazz. Damnit. He needs a spotlight episode.

Anyone see "Mission Accomplished"? Do we know who Megatron's double agent is on Cybertron? Also, now that the Elite Guard is gone, will we still GET a Jazz spotlight episode?

figrin bran
05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Ha, okay. You're probably right. I'm judging too soon. I guess I just get Ultra Magnus and we've had so much time with Sentinel, (from flashbacks even before the Elite Guard showed up), that I'm impatient with Prowl. I mean Jazz. Damnit. He needs a spotlight episode.

Anyone see "Mission Accomplished"? Do we know who Megatron's double agent is on Cybertron? Also, now that the Elite Guard is gone, will we still GET a Jazz spotlight episode?

Some fans think Ironhide might be the double agent :shocked:

Adam
05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
That character probably hasn't shown up yet, haven't seen many Autobots based on Cybertron besides the Elite Guard and Arcee. Ironhide doesn't seem to be on Cybertron based on his cameo last episode.

figrin bran
05-05-2008, 12:15 AM
I thought Weird Al's take on Wreck-Gar was hilarious! My favorite part was probably when he nonchalantly replaced the Autobot insignia with a Decepticon one :thumbsup: It was also interesting how he always had a few flies circling around him.

Chaddymac
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Maybe the double agent is Swindle? We know he's coming and they said that if we liked the G1 character, we'd appreciate this one. But probably not Ironhide (although that WOULD be a twist).

Speaking of, anyone hear if Ironhide's getting a toy? He looked like he had Ratchet's silouette with a different head. Even if we never see the character again, I think that'd be cool.

Adam
05-06-2008, 09:27 PM
No idea on the toy. Swindle will show up, ordering some of the human villains around in car form to build a freeze ray type machine which he uses on the Autobots then wants to sell to Megatron. The spy he is not.

Summary for that episode: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=175711

Chaddymac
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Oh - I'll take your word for it. Don't want to spoil the ep.

Anyone have any guesses who the female character is that they said wouldn't have a tragic backstory (ie Arcee, Blackarachnia)? I think this was at Botcon.

Chaddymac
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh, NOW I KNOW who the spy is. I'm an idiot. I knew this was coming and had completely forgotten.

Adam
05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh, NOW I KNOW who the spy is. I'm an idiot. I knew this was coming and had completely forgotten.

Wanna enlighten me there? I think I may know as well, but I wanna see if our theories gel. :P

Chaddymac
05-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Is there any way to spoiler tag text on this board? I don't see the option in the reply to thread section.

figrin bran
05-07-2008, 09:24 PM

I know who it is too. I thought it might be too obvious a choice so that's why I didn't mention it.

I take it that this "Wasp" character is Waspinator? wazzzzzpiannaaaator hate being blown to bits!

Btw, HTS has a few more TFA's for preorder - Leader class Megs, Leader class Bulkhead and Voyager Grimlock.

I have no idea how Hasbro is going to approach the launch of this line so I think I'll preorder Grimlock at the very least. Just like with Clone Wars, it seems there's quite a few fans who are turned off by the animated designs but I'm not sure how plentiful/scarce this line will be at first.

Chaddymac
05-08-2008, 07:16 AM
I think the naysayers have always been move vocal than the supporters in all of our hobbies, but I think this line is going to be a big hit with kids and collectors alike. I've pre-ordered everything through HTS. The prices are good, and gas is expensive. I'd prefer NOT to go hunting.

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Is there any way to spoiler tag text on this board? I don't see the option in the reply to thread section.
The highlight-to-read font color code is f0eded, but for some reason it only works for everybody with quote-marks, like so:

=== spoiler text would be invisible here ===

Here's how the code works, I'm using the "noparse" command to show you, you can copy-paste it exactly:

=== spoiler text would be invisible here ===

El Chuxter
05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
SPOILER!!

=== Masterpiece Grimlock is going to kick so much aise it ain't funny. ===

Adam
05-09-2008, 04:53 PM
It had better, for the price it will be! I just got MP Megatron yesterday actually. :P

Chaddymac
05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm peeved because Megs has come down in price since I got him...but I still love him.

I'm sure Hasbro will import Grimmy, though. That's a no brainer, especially for the 25th anniversary.

El Chuxter
05-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I still need to get MP Megatron. Right now, I've got Starscream holding the mini-Megatron that came with Prime.

Chaddymac
05-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I ordered the Starscream crown set, which is sitting at BBTS in my pile-o-loot until I decide the pile has gotten large enough to ship.

figrin bran
05-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Universe Prowl, Sunstreaker and Tankor are up for preorder on HTS right now!

jedi master sal
05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Say I need "Jolt" a Wal*Mart exclusive Transformer, if anyone comes across it. I only saw it once and had to pass on it as it was a choice between it and SW figs. Had I known it was an exclusive, I wouldn't have passed on it. Any help would of course be greatly appreciated.

I did just get Salvage. Haven't opened it yet, but it looks cool from the packaging.

-Sal

Tycho
05-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Is anyone going to tell me "never," - even for a movie commemorative version - in so far as getting a Leader Class Blackout (or Bonecrusher) being made?

Do you think it's really "never," versus "very unlikely?"

jedi master sal
05-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Is anyone going to tell me "never," - even for a movie commemorative version - in so far as getting a Leader Class Blackout (or Bonecrusher) being made?

Do you think it's really "never," versus "very unlikely?"

I actually think they are likely. heck there were TWO Devastators. Blackout seems like a lock. But what I want to know is where the hell is Leader class Starscream??

Tycho
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
But what I want to know is where the hell is Leader class Starscream??

That's a Transformers 2 toy for 2009 almost certainly.

Starscream was featured surviving the Mission City battle and focused on in the credits. He's a main character in traditional Transformers lore, and Michael Bay has stated the 1st film introduced the CONCEPTS to non-fans and the broadest audience; the 2nd film will focus on the development of the robots' characters. If the Decepticons are going to be done any justice, Starscream has to be a major role in TF2.

That being said, I've never worried about getting a close-to-in-scale Starscream figure by 2009.

I mean, they shouldn't change Optimus Prime's alt-form, so they can just re-release the same 2007 toy. It really only needs improvement in articulation (a turning waist) for the most part. Though parts of his back and arms could "flatten" a bit more, as could they do something about his parts sticking out of his knees. But really, the LC Prime is pretty darn good. Oh - the sound box could add Peter Cullen to it - they should have done that in the first place - and they had room for multiple sounds - truck, Peter's voice, and laser blasts, knife clashes, etc.

Brawl is dead - so that settles that.

If Megatron comes back, they could improve that LC figure in many ways, but he might even have a new alt-mode. It would be less objectionable than changing anything about the movie Prime again.

No other Autobot needs a Leader Class toy. Now if they put in Powerglide like I'd want, HE would definitely use a LC vehicle. But ANOTHER plane?

Blackout might be dead, but a Helicopter is so unique and different that it'd be wonderful - not to mention his blade weapons would be really cool. Of course they could do an Autobot like Springer, but the first movie really played up Blackout, at least visually, if not in personality development.

I just think a LC Starscream is a given. Heck yeah I want it - but I'm not at all worried about getting it. Just hope his paint scheme is cool, too. The first Megatron was horrible and I didn't buy it.

Adam
05-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Hasbro said at Botcon that they would not be simply repainting any main characters from the first movie line to act as their figure in the second movie line. They want to do new sculpts and improve upon the "old" ones.

Beast
05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Has Hasbro ever said anything at all about doing a figure of Dispensor, the Mountain Dew machine from the end of Transformers? I know they just did a Robot Heroes version, but I'd really like to actually get the transforming soda machine it's self.

Chaddymac
05-18-2008, 12:19 PM
They said they weren't counting it out, that they have explored the idea, but as of yet they haven't come up with a compelling way to execute it.

Which is Hasbro code for "Don't be mad, but it ain't gonna happen 'cause we've got our hands full with other stuff, so take your robot heroes present and leave us alone about this. The again, if Pepsi Co pays us a buttload of money.... maybe try writing them?"

Beast
05-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Hmm, what they said at BotCon gives me a little more hope... hope it happens.

"Might see a figure based off of Dispensor, the Mountain Dew machine figure from "Transformers.""

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=9351

El Chuxter
05-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm not dissing anyone's wants, but I find it fascinating anyone would want Dispensor in any form.

Beast
05-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm not dissing anyone's wants, but I find it fascinating anyone would want Dispensor in any form.
Dispensor was cool, dammit! And you liked Speed Racer, so nyah. :p

Chaddymac
05-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd rather have the X-Box robot. That'd be cool. Maybe we'll see Dispensor as one of the 25th Anniversary toys, celebrating The movie. That's their plan, right? Toys from each line over the last 25 years? That's the only explanation for why they're making a new Hotshot...

figrin bran
05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I'll take Dispensor in any form over movie Megatron and Starscream :p (that's not saying much, is it?)

Tycho
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Hasbro said at Botcon that they would not be simply repainting any main characters from the first movie line to act as their figure in the second movie line. They want to do new sculpts and improve upon the "old" ones.

Darn. I shouldn't have bought LC Megatron.

The others I did get I'm alright with. BumbleBee is still amazing!

Adam
05-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I'd rather have the X-Box robot. That'd be cool. Maybe we'll see Dispensor as one of the 25th Anniversary toys, celebrating The movie. That's their plan, right? Toys from each line over the last 25 years? That's the only explanation for why they're making a new Hotshot...

Other than that Hot Shot was a popular character, like Cheetor who is also getting a figure, I guess..

Chaddymac
05-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I've been a fan of TFs since the 80s, and have loved even the most random incarnations. But I cannot, for the life of me, understand why Hotshot was a popular character.

Chaddymac
05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
BBTS is reporting that Hasbro shipped their first wave order for TF:A deluxes. I guess it's time to start keeping our eyes peeled for them to start hitting retail in the next two weeks.

I would like to mention, however, that Hasbro hasn't shipped MY first wave order for TF:A deluxes...

figrin bran
06-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I got tired of waiting for Animated to hit so I used my Hasbro Rewards over the weekend and among other things, got a Premium Series Bumblebee.

The interesting thing I found is that "premium" seems to apply only to the alt mode. The plastic is more grainy and not smooth so it looks less toy like. However in bot mode, the parts of BB that were black are now grey and unfortunately, it makes it look too plasticky.

Adam
06-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Apparently the first three TFU Ultra figures will be given a more G1 accurate look for their counter park Henkei releases. Silverbolt (http://www.post-chan.com/products/detail.php?product_id=1237) Powerglide (http://www.post-chan.com/products/detail.php?product_id=1239) Onslaught (http://www.post-chan.com/products/detail.php?product_id=1238)

I'll have to see better pics of the US Silverbolt to decide on that one. I don't think I'm going to get Powerglide at this point, but if I did, I would probably spring for this red one. I'm ok with the US onslaught.

JediTricks
06-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Onslaught looks way better, there's something that doesn't work for me on the US version. Powerglide I don't think looks good that red at this size. And there's nothing that can save Silverbolt. :p

BTW, Powerglide's photo there looks like a digibash.

Tycho
06-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Onslaught's kind of cool.

Michael Bay might want to look into him for a new Decepticon character.

By the way, Barricade's coming back for Transformers 2, though no explanation has been given for what happened to him after we last saw him on the freeway going between Hoover Dam and Mission City.

But rumors were that test audiences revealed appreciation for the character, so Michael Bay just cut any filmed evidence of his demise and offered no reason within the first film's storyline.

That was NOT awesome, Michael.

El Chuxter
06-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Supposedly, Jazz will be back, too. I don't think that needs any explanation. Most people were probably too dizzied by the blur of flashing gears to notice he was supposedly killed.

JediTricks
06-04-2008, 03:13 PM
By the way, Barricade's coming back for Transformers 2, though no explanation has been given for what happened to him after we last saw him on the freeway going between Hoover Dam and Mission City.

But rumors were that test audiences revealed appreciation for the character, so Michael Bay just cut any filmed evidence of his demise and offered no reason within the first film's storyline.

That was NOT awesome, Michael.Of course test audiences ranked Barricade higher, he's the only Decepticon with any LINES! Nobody else says much of import (except for Megacrap, and his lines are all spaced apart and boring), so it's up to Barricade to represent. If Bonecrusher or Brawl had, you know, SAID something or DID something the way Barricade did, maybe they'd have survived too.

Tycho
06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
"Sir, that tank-thing is getting back up!" - soldier reacting to Brawl.

"We're so dead!" - Capt. Lennox responding to Blackout.

Actions might speak louder than words in so far as the characters go with the Decepticons. I don't think the audience wanted a long expose from any of the villain characters, except more where Starscream and Megatron were concerned.

Besides, Frenzy talked to himself in his own crazy language all the time. What are you complaining about?

Very few of the Decepticons had reason to interact with humans, or speak English. Michael Bay tried to make a more realistic alien invasion rather than a copy of the cartoon.

In that effort, Megatron and Starscream should not have even had that short exchange in English:

"I live to serve you Lord Megatron."

"Where is the AllSpark?"

"The humans have it."

"You've failed me yet again, Starscream."

The dialogue should have been in their "only clue we have is this sound" language and subtitled for the audience, but knowing that's not what the hardcore fans wanted, it's acceptable. Yet there wasn't enough.

When Starscream disguised himself as an F-22, he should have shot the kill shots that took out Megatron after some more dialogue describing their power-struggle was built up. That would have been cool and a very practical tactic that Starscream would have employed, given the circumstances.

El Chuxter
06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I still haven't figured out where Starscream failed. Megatron came, got frozen, got imprisoned by humans, and Starscream came to bail him out. Sounds to me like Megatron is projecting his own failure onto Starscream, who at least took out a few military operations. Megatron didn't have any Autobots to contend with and blew it like a chump, whereas Starscream's crew had a small contingent of them who were aware of and protecting the AllSpark, as well as a much more technological human race.

figrin bran
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
So the working title of the sequel is "Revenge of the Fallen" lol

And in other news, I'm still waiting on those HTS animated preorders. They're not due to ship for another 2 weeks but I'm hoping I might get them earlier.

Tycho
06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I tried to return Wingblade again today. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I reasoned that I bought Long Arm just to have as a towtruck. So what's wrong with having Wingblade in my collection?

Michael Bay still might use a Warthog as a Transformer in a new movie and I doubt it would be any differently colored than Wingblade is already.

matthewilw
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
So the working title of the sequel is "Revenge of the Fallen" lol

And in other news, I'm still waiting on those HTS animated preorders. They're not due to ship for another 2 weeks but I'm hoping I might get them earlier.

2 weeks? I saw everything animated at retail just a few days ago. I came very close to buying voyager starscream and deluxe lockdown, but the animated headsculpts just kill every ounce of enjoyment for me. Starscream is alot more purple than it looks online.

figrin bran
06-06-2008, 09:47 PM
2 weeks? I saw everything animated at retail just a few days ago. I came very close to buying voyager starscream and deluxe lockdown, but the animated headsculpts just kill every ounce of enjoyment for me. Starscream is alot more purple than it looks online.

Yes, 2 weeks. Most of my Animated preorders aren't due to ship until 6/23.

El Chuxter
06-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Grimlock is shipping 8/28, so I guess he's not that much later than the rest.

figrin bran
06-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Grimlock is shipping 8/28, so I guess he's not that much later than the rest.

But many have already found Grimlock at WM's already! For some reason, they're getting in wave 1 and wave 3 of the Animated Voyagers.

El Chuxter
06-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Really? Was he shoehorned in at the last minute or something? I thought he was still one of the later confirmed waves.

(However, since many Joes I've seen in stores are shipping around the same time, it doesn't surprise me.)

RUSHBOY
06-07-2008, 08:23 PM
But many have already found Grimlock at WM's already! For some reason, they're getting in wave 1 and wave 3 of the Animated Voyagers.

I have not been lucky enough to see a grimlock yet, but I have seen all the other transformers animated stuff at my local walmart !
:)

plasticfetish
06-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Saw a few figures from the animated line at Wal*Mart today, and I think that just seeing them in person managed to kill off what little interest in Transformers that I might still have.

Seriously... WTF? I mean... the cartoon doesn't get watched in my house, because even my kid can't stand the way the characters look in "toon" form, but the toys themselves are just idiotic.

And it strikes me as strange to be calling a line of figures "animated," when the source material has always been animated or illustrated. (Aside from that movie thing.)

This all looks like they let the people that design Happy Meal toys take over the franchise. A huge step away from what has always been cool about Transformers, and I have a hard time understanding what it is about this line that would interest adult collectors.

...unless that's the point. Either Hasbro is trying to shake the "collector" community off its back, or they think it's funny to watch us buy toys designed to (maybe) interest a 4 year old.

El Chuxter
06-08-2008, 12:33 AM
And it strikes me as strange to be calling a line of figures "animated," when the source material has always been animated or illustrated. (Aside from that movie thing.)

If you think about it, though, it's not that different from Batman: The Animated Series or Superman: The Animated Series. Animated as opposed to what? There was no other Batman show around, and hadn't been a live-action one for about 25 years. IIRC, Superman first came out a couple of years after Lois & Clark was cancelled, too.

I think it's they know, with a previous iconic cartoon called Transformers, and a movie by just that name as well, they couldn't get away with calling a new show just Transformers.

matthewilw
06-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Saw a few figures from the animated line at Wal*Mart today, and I think that just seeing them in person managed to kill off what little interest in Transformers that I might still have.

Seriously... WTF? I mean... the cartoon doesn't get watched in my house, because even my kid can't stand the way the characters look in "toon" form, but the toys themselves are just idiotic.

I agree. As much as I want to like the animated stuff (despite having no interest in the show) I just can't. I think the last transformer I bought was incinerator and I'm not sure if there is anything left for the entire year that I will buy. Classics might draw some purchases from me, but I don't like the idea of Everything constantly taking steps backwards.

figrin bran
06-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Really? Was he shoehorned in at the last minute or something? I thought he was still one of the later confirmed waves.

(However, since many Joes I've seen in stores are shipping around the same time, it doesn't surprise me.)

Chux, it's not quite a shoehorning of Grimlock into the assortments. Grimlock and Lugnut which are both wave 3 are being shipped to WM's. I've read about this on RS and Tformers.com.

plasticfetish
06-08-2008, 01:26 AM
...but I don't like the idea of Everything constantly taking steps backwards.That's it for sure. I dunno... I've been thinning out my Transformers collection over the last few years anyway, but going back and looking over toys from before Armada... all the way back to the few G1 toys that I own, has really made me miss the time when Hasbro and Takara tried for something a bit more clever with each figure. They didn't always do that with every toy, but they did manage to put out a line of figures that had you curious about all of the characters.

...they couldn't get away with calling a new show just Transformers.How about "Toon-formers" or "Transformers Gang" or maybe "Optimus and Friends" instead? ;)

All I'm saying, is that for years we've been hearing how kids today are "more sophisticated" and don't watch cartoons or play with toys as much. So Hasbro's way of dealing with that is to completely dummy down the Transformers concept?

They may be shooting for that 2-11 year old boy demographic, but I'd be really curious to know how many boys over the age of 5 or 6 are actually watching that show.

Chaddymac
06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I saw about 10 or so each of Animated Ratchet and Blackarachnia at Ghetto Wal-Mart, but nothing else.

Also, I'm completely on the otherside of the "Animated Sucks" argument. First, the show is the most well-written and sophisticated animated series Transformers has gotten in years. Perhaps not as adult as Beast Machines, but I would argue that the very value of its sophistication is its ability to tell stories both kids and adults can enjoy. The last thing it is doing is dumbing down.

And, after purchasing the toys, I can say that Haskara is VERY MUCH still seeking great innovation in the designs, in much the same way as they have with Star Wars of late. There are action gimmicks, but they've done an amazing job of making sure they don't interfere with articulation and posability. Many of them still use automorph technology, like the movie toys. And going a step further, the reason why I find the "animated" moniker appropriate is because what Haskara has attempted here is to create stylized transformers, much like what the Clone Wars line is doing now. Maybe it doesn't grip you the way the movie line did (which, by the way, didn't grip me at all), or maybe you enjoy powerlinks, energon stars, and cybertron keys (all lines that had far more misses for me than hits), but it is remarkably successful in doing what its attempted and its something I wouldn't have thought I'd love until I saw it.

As a fan of both the toys and the show, this line fills me with a brand of joy I haven't felt in a long time, perhaps not since Beast Wars. And since I'm also deeply enamored with Classics, I'll be happy and broke all year long.

El Chuxter
06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
PF, there seems to be this weird trend. On the one hand, we say that kids are more sophisticated than in the past, which is baloney. On the other, we deprive them of Bugs Bunny because it's too "violent" and only air cartoons that talk down to them.

I am ambivalent toward most of the robot designs in Animated, and absolutely hate the human designs, but, the few times I've been able to see it, thought the writing is some of the best I've seen in a new cartoon in ages. Still, like you said, I'm not sure how many non-fans over the age of 6 would watch just due to the weird style.

Figgy, I meant "shoehorned" in that I thought Grimlock wasn't scheduled for several waves yet, and wasn't sure if they rushed him to get him into stores more quickly, sticking him into a case assortment at the last minute. Maybe shoehorned wasn't exactly the right word. Good to hear--maybe I'll see one in the wild, so to speak, so I can be sure it's not junk before Hasbro gets around to shipping him in late August.

JediTricks
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
"Sir, that tank-thing is getting back up!" - soldier reacting to Brawl.

"We're so dead!" - Capt. Lennox responding to Blackout.

Actions might speak louder than words in so far as the characters go with the Decepticons. I don't think the audience wanted a long expose from any of the villain characters, except more where Starscream and Megatron were concerned.So, you liken them to set pieces and then say "well, nobody wanted to see them as characters anyway", that's a hell of an argument. What's the point of making them sentient transforming robots then? Why not just a meteor or a flood or any other pointless task to overcome? It's not a war anymore that way, the Decepticons aren't characters, that's Michael Bay's "Transformers: Autobots Hitting Things".

And it's not like the audience could even make out the majority of the actions the Decepticons were doing, much less the facial expressions or any of the non-verbal cues that audiences need to be able to connect with characters, both heroes and villains. Understanding and recognizing the villains is important to accepting them as an engaging threat.

Besides, Frenzy talked to himself in his own crazy language all the time. What are you complaining about?Which most folks hated.

Adam
06-12-2008, 02:06 AM
The Grimlock/Lugnut wave is pretty much everywhere, I saw them both at TRU today, and I bought my Grimlock at Target.

Actually ended up buying BumbleBee, Ratchet, Prowl, Grimlock, Starscream, and Lugnut. By the end of the day today, I returned everything but Grimlock and Prowl, who are both pretty cool.

The others... they were just ok. I thought about it for awhile though, and all the others I was really not going to care about too much after awhile, much like all the movie toys I bought. I had small issues with all of them. BumbleBee seems too big to me, Lugnut is too small. Starscreams articulation got on my nerves for some reason, and his damn left leg kept popping off. Despite having joints in all the right places, Ratchet just didnt seem to be able to pose too well. I'd rather have the money for TFU when they start showing up next month.

I will still get Voyager Prime whenever he starts showing up, and probably leader Megs, Ultra Magnus and maybe deluxe swoop and Jazz, but that seems it for right now.

figrin bran
06-15-2008, 01:41 AM
I found some of the Animated toys today at TRU and as they had sent me a $10 off of a 50 dollar purchase, I went ahead and bought Screamer, deluxe Prime, Ratchet and Blackarachnia. So around $43 for everything wasn't bad at all. I'm still playing around with them but I'm quite pleased with this line.

figrin bran
06-16-2008, 01:41 AM
I've added Animated Prowl and Lockdown to the collection now as I was able to find both of them at TRU today. Prowl is very well designed especially when you consider that his alt mode is a motorcycle which has not always resulted in great TF's in the past.

RUSHBOY
06-16-2008, 01:56 AM
My local TRU just got the new Grimlock figure from the animated line !!
They had about 8 of them in the morning but I just bought 1.
They had to break the streetdate because Walmart has been selling the animated line for like 2 weeks now .
:thumbsup:

figrin bran
06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
What's a Hasbro line launch without QC issues?

The grappling hook accessory that comes with Blackarachnia has broken already. For some strange reason, it stopped working and so I unscrewed it, thinking that the string just got caught into a snag. It wasn't and so I tried putting all the little pieces back together and it's not functional right now. I'll try again but this shouldn't even happen!

Chaddymac
06-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I've added Animated Prowl and Lockdown to the collection now as I was able to find both of them at TRU today. Prowl is very well designed especially when you consider that his alt mode is a motorcycle which has not always resulted in great TF's in the past.
I have to agree. Prowl is an absolutely awesome figure by any measure, then add in the fact that he's a motorcycle and it's kind of unreal. Have you done the fix yet, to give him more knee articulation? You unscrew the yellow pads on either side of his thigh, switch them, then invert them by 180 degrees. Suddenly, he can bend his knees completely. Just awesome.

I picked up all the deluxes, the first wave of voyagers, and the DVD 2-pack. Some figures are more satisfying than others, but they are all pretty cool. I take that back. I actually think voyager Megs, if only because of his wonky cannon, is a bit of a loser. I look forward to his earth mode version. The 2-pack version, however, is actually pretty well done and very stable. That disappoints me a little. Also, I really appreciate the fact that 2-pack prime is an amalgam of Cybertron mode prime and voyager earth mode prime, and it accomplishes this combination admireably.

Yeah, the only disappointment for me was Voyager Megs. That kinda sucks.

JediTricks
06-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I've been skimming the Animated line news and noticing a lot of QC problems and design failures (mostly due to strengthening issues), very shocked to hear how bad of a launch this has been for Hasbro considering how well the Movie line played out.

I plan on looking for Lockdown and likely getting Prowl, but I absolutely refuse to go out of my way for them, this line fails to capture my interest.

In other news, TF:Universe (aka Classics 2.0) have been spotted in Canada. Woooooooo!!!!

figrin bran
06-17-2008, 12:55 AM
I've been skimming the Animated line news and noticing a lot of QC problems and design failures (mostly due to strengthening issues), very shocked to hear how bad of a launch this has been for Hasbro considering how well the Movie line played out.

I plan on looking for Lockdown and likely getting Prowl, but I absolutely refuse to go out of my way for them, this line fails to capture my interest.

In other news, TF:Universe (aka Classics 2.0) have been spotted in Canada. Woooooooo!!!!

Must be that same new factory that's responsible for the sloppy Indy figures! :p I bet you anything that we revisit the same issues when Clone Wars/Legacy Collection hits!

JT, need I remind you that even the Movie line was not without QC problems...like your Deluxe Brawl for instance. And then more recently, the Premium BB, at least the one I got, seemed worse in quality (paint apps, strenghth of joints) than the BB I got last year.

Tycho
06-17-2008, 02:35 AM
I seriously want a Michael Bay action figure with a steady-cam accessory and director's chair. Then I'd pose him with my Transformers. A dedication to the man who made my dream of a live-action film with Autobots and Decepticons actually happen. And he cast Peter Cullen!!!

No. This post is not a joke. I'm not kidding. Bring on a Michael Bay action figure and I'd buy it. That'd be "awesome!" :thumbsup:

bigbarada
06-17-2008, 09:43 AM

I saw the Animated line the other day (funny, I've always thought that Transformers was an animated line) and most of them looked pretty cool; but I only bought Bulkhead because he's new and just so different from any Transformer I've seen before. He's actually a really well made figure and I don't seem to be having any QC issues at all. Easily the best TF purchase I've made in the last few years.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to find the cartoon playing at 5 AM on CN. I'm not sure how many kids get up that early during the summer, but wouldn't they want the series to run in the afternoons in order to get as much exposure as possible?

I did get up early this morning to check it out and found myself really enjoying the show (maybe it was the sleep deprivation); but it seems to be more along the lines of Teen Titans than Transformers. I don't think I saw a single Decepticon in two episodes aside from a floating Megatron head.

Adam
06-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Takara finally officially announced the next MP as Thundercracker, yay for another repaint. Granted, I knew he was coming but I hoped Grimlock would come first.

Tycho
06-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Any pictures of Thundercracker yet? I don't think I'm down for this one. I bought the more realistically colored Takara MP Starscream and MP Skywarp.
(The former appears the color of fighter-jet steel to me and I don't see green as naysayers claim to).

If a fighter jet was going to be blue, I'd have liked the signature decale work of the Blue Angels squadron or something - though I doubt they'd grant approval for their trademark being used as an "evil Decepticon."

It's time for an F-18 or F-22 Masterpiece. Of course I love Warthogs (still haven't been able to return my boxed Wingblade yet - and he's ridden with me to Toys R Us twice already - though my receipt is good for returns until mid-July I believe).

So I'm just waiting for Classics 2 Powerglide and then I'll assess his size and details when I find him.

Powerglide is another good character for a MP.

They're done with uses for the Optimus Prime mold. Ultra Magnus was never done justice by that anyway.

Megatron is likely a very singular-use production (you'd hope so, as I don't want it being brought out in purple and called Shockwave).

The Seekers are naturally being done from the Starscream mold - that's expected.

Perhaps it will up the profit margin enough to make a new mold affordable in the MP business plan? Then maybe Grimlock will appear.

If they touch any movie character - c'mon, you know a MP Blackout would be awesome! (as would a long-nose Prime)

Adam
06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
I would never buy a MP Bayformer. Ugh.

I found Animated Voyager Prime today. The auto-transform gimmick on mine doesn't really work, but other than that he's great.

JediTricks
06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Transformation videos of TF:Universe Powerglide -
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/bH4R4a55JHw/

and TF:U Onslaught -
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/daAMVQ-UdBQ/

Powerglide has "the sound" and looks like a really wild one.

Must be that same new factory that's responsible for the sloppy Indy figures! :p I bet you anything that we revisit the same issues when Clone Wars/Legacy Collection hits! No, I don't think that's the case, they went with that new factory because their other factories were at capacity, they were making all the lines they currently had, and that includes TF. Plus, I doubt Takaratomy would jump that quick into some new factory if it was this bad.

JT, need I remind you that even the Movie line was not without QC problems...like your Deluxe Brawl for instance. And then more recently, the Premium BB, at least the one I got, seemed worse in quality (paint apps, strenghth of joints) than the BB I got last year.Dlx Brawl is an isolated situation, the gearing made from bad materials was stupid, but it wasn't a sign of a problems across the line, and it wasn't due to redesign failures.

As for paint, that's always been wonky. And loose joints can be due to mold release oil or a thrice-reused mold needing some updating, which cannot be said of TF:A figs.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to find the cartoon playing at 5 AM on CN. I'm not sure how many kids get up that early during the summer, but wouldn't they want the series to run in the afternoons in order to get as much exposure as possible? They buried the last TF cartoon as well, I don't know why they are still allowed to put on new-run projects like this when they treat them so badly.

I did get up early this morning to check it out and found myself really enjoying the show (maybe it was the sleep deprivation); but it seems to be more along the lines of Teen Titans than Transformers. I don't think I saw a single Decepticon in two episodes aside from a floating Megatron head.I didn't like the Teen Titans and this definitely is more than than TF.

figrin bran
06-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I would never buy a MP Bayformer. Ugh.

I found Animated Voyager Prime today. The auto-transform gimmick on mine doesn't really work, but other than that he's great.

Ah! Something else I need to hunt for. I emailed HTS to cancel some of my preordered TF's and apparently they cancelled my Bumblebee even though I didn't specify that one to be cancelled. At least Grimlock is supposed to be shipped out 6/17 so I should be getting him soon.

Tycho
06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm pondering Powerglide as we speak. My video tends to load slower on Verizon broadband than it used to on DSL. :mad:

But I really need to be using broadband now.

Anyway, my boxed Wingblade is next to the computer and from appearances, I think I like his robot mode better than Powerglide's. Not sure yet.

Powerglide has real hands, though. That's a plus!

Hmm. The video loaded. He has a lot of robot bulk on his underside and (at least the guy transforming him) didn't close it up all flush and tight (like say, how a MP would work). His decaling / colors are not really too much like an authentic jet, either.

I might prefer Wingblade. I will still have to see Powerglide in person.

I don't need my Autobots to REALLY start to outnumber my Decepticons. It'll get ridiculous. Thus I don't need both.

JediTricks
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Wingblade, why are you still on about him? He's not that good. Just open him and play with him, kiss your $20 goodbye, and then you'll realize why Powerglide is better in both modes and in transformation.

figrin bran
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Wingblade, why are you still on about him? He's not that good. Just open him and play with him, kiss your $20 goodbye, and then you'll realize why Powerglide is better in both modes and in transformation.

A-ha but you forget, he doesn't actually transform his Transformers :p

El Chuxter
06-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Cartoon Network did a pretty good job of burying Justice League Unlimited and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, also, both of which were stellar shows.

Adam
06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Why do you need to even out your 'bots and 'cons Tycho? In G1 there was like 2 Autobots for every Decepticon! lol

Tycho
06-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Why do you need to even out your 'bots and 'cons Tycho? In G1 there was like 2 Autobots for every Decepticon! lol

Good point, Adam. Do you think that's the way it actually was in the war? I mean across the board, both on earth and on Cybertron? Or because the Decepticons had won, do you think they held any majority?

With the toys, I think that the Minibots strongly contributed to the high ranks of Autobots. Also, they were civilians brought into the war, whereas the Decepticons seemed to be Cybertron's military.

Actually when you think about that last line I just posted, then it would make sense for the Autobots to outnumber the Decepticons, but just not be as powerful.

Optimus..........Megatron
Jazz...............Starscream
Prowl..............Soundwave
Ironhide...........Thundercracker
Mirage.............Skywarp
Ratchet...........Reflector
Hound..............Ravage
Wheeljack.........Rumble
BumbleBee........Laserbeak
Sunstreaker......Ramjet
SideSwipe.........Thrust
Trailbreaker......Dirge
Arialbots..........Stunticons
Protectobots.....Combaticons
Dinobots..........Constructicons (6 there!)
Smokescreen.....Shockwave
Tracks..............Astrotrain
Ultra Magnus.....Blitzwing
Springer...........Octane
Hot Rod...........Shrapnel
Kup.................Bombshell
Blur.................Kickback

The list can go on, but I basically used characters that saw some development in the cartoon. Brawn annoyed me, so I didn't put him on the list just yet. But I have to go right now or I'll starve while sitting here listing Transformers.

Oh, I also didn't use characters that can't exist with others simultaneously - like Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge - as they were made out of parts of the other Decepticons.

JediTricks
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
A-ha but you forget, he doesn't actually transform his Transformers :pYeah he does, once.

Chaddymac
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
I did get up early this morning to check it out and found myself really enjoying the show (maybe it was the sleep deprivation); but it seems to be more along the lines of Teen Titans than Transformers. I don't think I saw a single Decepticon in two episodes aside from a floating Megatron head.

The new episodes "premiere" every Saturday morning at 10am EST/PST (or 9am, I get confused because it replays on Sunday's in whichever the other timeslot is). If you watch TV on a satellite, though, they'd play at 7am and 6am respectively. I'm not sure what time the show plays during the week, but 5am doesn't sound unrealistic (as that would be 8am EST).

I actually like the show. My favorite is still Beast Wars because it was so rich with story telling. But this is actually a smart, very well-written show that has a universal appeal that I would have loved and been able to follow were I still a kid. And while it constantly references the G1 show, I think it stands well on its own and, in many ways, plays much, much better.

bigbarada
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
The new episodes "premiere" every Saturday morning at 10am EST/PST (or 9am, I get confused because it replays on Sunday's in whichever the other timeslot is). If you watch TV on a satellite, though, they'd play at 7am and 6am respectively. I'm not sure what time the show plays during the week, but 5am doesn't sound unrealistic (as that would be 8am EST).

I actually like the show. My favorite is still Beast Wars because it was so rich with story telling. But this is actually a smart, very well-written show that has a universal appeal that I would have loved and been able to follow were I still a kid. And while it constantly references the G1 show, I think it stands well on its own and, in many ways, plays much, much better.

It's playing at 5 AM Central time, so that's 6 AM Eastern.

I actually do like the show a lot. It's silly, but it's a cartoon, it's supposed to be. I would have really loved this show as a kid.

Tycho
06-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I actually do like the show a lot. It's silly, but it's a cartoon, it's supposed to be. I would have really loved this show as a kid.

You know, I think Lucas intends for Star Wars to be taken this way (live action or not). And for all the PT haters, they decided (as children) that ANH and ESB were to be taken so seriously - and ROTS brings it back towards that a bit.

But TPM especially, and Ewoks in ROTJ, etc. get a bad rep from all the "serious fan camps," and they do the same towards Michael Bay's Transformers.

JediTricks
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Actually, I made the argument a long time ago that what's lacking from the prequels is the lightheartedness of the originals. The prequels are about trade routes and embargoes and political maneuvering, all poorly-told and ham-handed, but serious none the less. Hell, the Jedi are the most humorless d*cks in the galaxy according to the prequels and it's one of the reasons there's not much impact in ROTS when they get slaughtered (that and they're all generic nobodies).

Anyway, back to Transformers news, from the Tokyo Toy Show comes these photos:
http://www.fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/report.htm

And check out the 3rd pic, top row... it's a Nissan GTR deluxe! http://www.fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/DSC00324.jpg
That's my favorite modern car right now, and it makes a tough-lookin' bot!

Tycho
06-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I was in one of the last standing KB Toys in San Diego County today and saw the new Transformers Animated figures.

I kind of think they're "cute," like Galactic Heroes are cute, but I wouldn't buy the collection.

I saw BumbleBee and Starscream. The latter was my favorite, but not by enough to buy him. Starscream had a smirk on his face. Hehe.

Actually, I made the argument a long time ago that what's lacking from the prequels is the lightheartedness of the originals. The prequels are about trade routes and embargoes and political maneuvering, all poorly-told and ham-handed, but serious none the less.

Ah, politics - a very clear reason why I would like it. Indeed, watching Palpatine in the prequels is thoroughly enjoyable for me.

Hell, the Jedi are the most humorless d*cks in the galaxy according to the prequels and it's one of the reasons there's not much impact in ROTS when they get slaughtered (that and they're all generic nobodies).

I took it that "real" Jedi are supposed to be stoic and emotionless like Vulcans. Yes, that is different from Han Solo's very emotional psyche. But at least it is different. Wouldn't it have just felt like a copy if everyone acted the same, and were "the same characters," (figuratively speaking)?

figrin bran
06-20-2008, 01:11 AM
You know, I think Lucas intends for Star Wars to be taken this way (live action or not). And for all the PT haters, they decided (as children) that ANH and ESB were to be taken so seriously - and ROTS brings it back towards that a bit.

But TPM especially, and Ewoks in ROTJ, etc. get a bad rep from all the "serious fan camps," and they do the same towards Michael Bay's Transformers.

The problem with that argument is that Bay aims to be taken seriously. We can accuse him of many, many things but making campy Saturday morning serials isn't on that list.

Tycho
06-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Bay will confuse you with his intentions:

in one scene we have Blackout slaughtering US AirForce personnel, showing the movie's going to be hard-core like I always wanted;

then in another scene, BumbleBee is pizzing on Simmons, which wasn't THAT campy, but still...

bigbarada
06-20-2008, 09:52 AM
then in another scene, BumbleBee is pizzing on Simmons, which wasn't THAT campy, but still...

That's more of a reference to the 90s gross-out humor trend and not campy at all.

JediTricks
06-20-2008, 03:51 PM
And check out the 3rd pic, top row... it's a Nissan GTR deluxe! http://www.fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/DSC00324.jpg
That's my favorite modern car right now, and it makes a tough-lookin' bot!So apparently, that's not a deluxe, but a new Japanese series, "Alternity", which uses die-cast like the Binaltech line but is in the smaller, 1/32nd scale (which is the deluxe-sized scale, Movie Bumblebee is identically sized to a 1/32nd-scale Camaro I have). Also, that character is Convoy aka Optimus Prime, so I guess that's the "alternate" aspect of this thing. I still dig it.

El Chuxter
06-20-2008, 09:02 PM
They don't still require pre-teen girls to kiss them to unleash their secret powers, do they? :vomit:

JediTricks
06-23-2008, 04:46 PM
They don't still require pre-teen girls to kiss them to unleash their secret powers, do they? :vomit:
Sounds like the new Animated show.

Tycho
06-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I think I've almost decided to keep (and open) Wingblade and NOT buy Powerglide. I've been looking at pictures of Powerglide and watched the video of the guy transforming him. I wasn't impressed....

figrin bran
06-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I had planned on passing up Animated Lugnut but once I saw that the colors weren't as bright as I thought, I decided to get it. (Yes, I was going to pass on it just b/c of the color scheme). Lugnut is actually better than Animated Screamer in that he has no excessive kibble in either mode.

I also got Voyager Bulkhead but I haven't opened him up yet and am not sure if I want to keep it.

RUSHBOY
06-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I had planned on passing up Animated Lugnut but once I saw that the colors weren't as bright as I thought, I decided to get it. (Yes, I was going to pass on it just b/c of the color scheme). Lugnut is actually better than Animated Screamer in that he has no excessive kibble in either mode.

I also got Voyager Bulkhead but I haven't opened him up yet and am not sure if I want to keep it.

Have you been able to find an animated Grimlock ?

Chaddymac
06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
I also found Lugnut the other day (and also love him). I don't know what the complaint is about the floppy cockpit. If you click it into place, it's as stable as all get out.

I found Prime today. Pretty cool, but I'm having trouble with the auto transform gimmick. I also find his arms to be floppy (or I'm transforming them wrong).

figrin bran
06-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Have you been able to find an animated Grimlock ?

No, I have not. I have Grimlock on preorder from HTS so I'm not too concerned at this juncture. Of course, I'd love to have him sooner rather than later.

JediTricks
06-24-2008, 05:23 AM
I think I've almost decided to keep (and open) Wingblade and NOT buy Powerglide. I've been looking at pictures of Powerglide and watched the video of the guy transforming him. I wasn't impressed....
Boy, you sure know how to call that stuff wrong. Check out this early review: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=180931

Wingblade is much more disappointing than what you see there. And smaller. And just not that good a figure on his own. And if nothing else, the airplane tail is all wrong and doesn't hold together, and the cockpit is for a MUCH larger plane which holds dozens of people.

Tycho
06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks JT. That review / those pics made me want Powerglide again.

I'm a schizophrenic Transformers fan! :crazed:

Adam
06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Just open it already, its been how long now?

Tycho
06-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Just open it already, its been how long now?

About 2 months I think. I believe I bought Wingblade last May.

That Powerglide might be bigger does indeed interest me.

I'm also confused as there seems to be A-9 Warthogs and A-10 Thunderbolts? And they look very similar?

figrin bran
06-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Enough about Wingblade vs. Powerglide already! Just get them both! :p

HTS has Animated Snarl, Jazz, Soundwave and Oil Slick up for preorder right now.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm curious if anyone can put me together a checklist of all the figures from the new animated show that are out. I'd like to pick some or most of these up, but I'm getting into it a bit late, and I'm hoping for some help with out going to several different TF sites. Thanks guys.

El Chuxter
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
There is only one that you need. Everyone needs him. He is the greatest. Despite other characters sharing his name, this is the first incarnation of him (aside from G1 relaunches not published by Dreamwave) to fully capture the glory of this majestic behemoth.

I should not have to tell anyone who it is. Rest assured, that he sees the problems of global warming, and will be dealing with them by kicking the butts of cars and trucks, as they are bad.

JediTricks
06-25-2008, 12:04 AM
About 2 months I think. I believe I bought Wingblade last May.

That Powerglide might be bigger does indeed interest me.

I'm also confused as there seems to be A-9 Warthogs and A-10 Thunderbolts? And they look very similar?Powerglide is bigger than Wingblade, he's also bigger than Classics Jetfire (you can see that in the comparison), because Powerglide's a $25 class figure, not a $20. I had forgotten about that. Powerglide is closer to MP Starscream's size than Wingblade.

There is no A-9 Warthog, the Warthog is a nickname for the A-10 Thunderbolt II. The 9 series name is the YA-9 prototype which never went to production.

I'm curious if anyone can put me together a checklist of all the figures from the new animated show that are out. I'd like to pick some or most of these up, but I'm getting into it a bit late, and I'm hoping for some help with out going to several different TF sites. Thanks guys.I have always used Dave Van Domelen's sightings page for such things, he's got a good eye for bunk reports and anomalies, and generally gets up reports from 3 or 4 different sites within a day of their findings: http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/sightings.shtml
His is the only site I report my TF sightings to, besides you guys.

Tycho
06-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Thank you for the information on Warthogs / Thunderbolts, JT.

I can now spend days dwelling on this until I see Powerglide show up in Toys R Us or somewhere. I hope I can buy him soon!

figrin bran
06-25-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm curious if anyone can put me together a checklist of all the figures from the new animated show that are out. I'd like to pick some or most of these up, but I'm getting into it a bit late, and I'm hoping for some help with out going to several different TF sites. Thanks guys.

Here's what's out in the Deluxe 9.99 class for Animated:

Cybertron Optimus Prime
Bumblebee
Ratchet
Blackarachnia
Lockdown
Prowl

19.99 Voyager Class:

Starscream
Bulkhead
Cybertron Megatron
Lugnut
Chux's alleged "greatest" - Grimlock

(Chux, how does the greatest wind up being Blackarachnia's pawn and even professing "me luv spider lady!")

2 pack of Optimus Prime/Megatron and a DVD. Not sure about the exact price

Kal, you're definitely not too late to get into this line - after all, they've only been at retail for a few weeks and Targets have only recently started to have them on the shelves.

bigbarada
06-25-2008, 02:18 AM
There is only one that you need. Everyone needs him. He is the greatest. Despite other characters sharing his name, this is the first incarnation of him (aside from G1 relaunches not published by Dreamwave) to fully capture the glory of this majestic behemoth.

I should not have to tell anyone who it is. Rest assured, that he sees the problems of global warming, and will be dealing with them by kicking the butts of cars and trucks, as they are bad.

I have a feeling that you're talking about Megatron but really have no clue.

Chaddymac
06-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Here's what's out in the Deluxe 9.99 class for Animated:

Cybertron Optimus Prime
Bumblebee
Ratchet
Blackarachnia
Lockdown
Prowl

19.99 Voyager Class:

Starscream
Bulkhead
Cybertron Megatron
Lugnut
Chux's alleged "greatest" - Grimlock

(Chux, how does the greatest wind up being Blackarachnia's pawn and even professing "me luv spider lady!")

2 pack of Optimus Prime/Megatron and a DVD. Not sure about the exact price

Kal, you're definitely not too late to get into this line - after all, they've only been at retail for a few weeks and Targets have only recently started to have them on the shelves.
Optimus Prime is also out (found him at an LA Target) and the DVD 2 pack is 19.99. Pretty decent price, actually, considering it's the most stable version of Megatron available right now and the Prime is actually a pretty cool figure. And, according to this article on TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/transformers-animated-wave-3-deluxes-found-at-us-retail-165196/), the Wave 3 deluxes (Soundwave, Snarl, Oil Slick, and Autobot Jazz) have also hit retail, although not quite nationwide.

Adam
06-25-2008, 12:49 PM

CARS AND TRUCKS BAD!!!..nature, good!

Adam
06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Another repaint for TFU's voyager assortment, Classics Jetfire repainted as "Treadbolt", who's name IIRC was last used for a bulldozer..

NOW WITH PICS! (Also Powerglide repaint, and animated legends class)
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/first-images-of-universe-animated-legends--universe-storm-cloud-better-image-of-treadbolt-165230/

JediTricks
06-26-2008, 12:23 AM
That Powerglide repaint looks kinda decent, but I just know Hasbro will screw up his face real bad with that yellow, and the blue wings don't do it for me.

Jetfire's repaint is a massive waste IMO, that's so not exciting and such a lame name.

I picked up TF:A Lockdown tonight. I really like his vehicle mode, that is slick as hell, but his ground clearance is measured in micrometers. Transformation is clever but I don't like his upper body design, and I hate getting the front end sections apart. The bot has a lot of character, but I don't care for his limited articulation everywhere. And the paint is already wearing off just getting him out of the package, as well as blacking out one of his eyes. Also, his hands are unacceptable, there's no nice way of putting that, this design seems like someone was careless and unthinking when they did that. There's NO reason it should be this way, and the modders out there are dead wrong about the fix, it should be hollowed out of the hand itself, not cutting away that strength block on the forearm - but of course, in order to get the pin out, you need to essentially destroy the figure in parts, or use the exceptionally risky solder-pin trick (hot soldering iron to the head of the pin, let cool, pull). His hands ruin this figure for me in a way, because I just can't get past how odd his proportions are and having his arms sticking out like he's pretending to be a christmas tree or a fat woman doesn't help at all. Still, there are some charms and clever bits here, and the gun barrels pop out when you push into the forearm, that's cool.

figrin bran
06-26-2008, 01:46 AM
I guess I have to hunt for TFA wave 3 in addition to Voyager Optimus and Grimlock. Hopefully that's all that comes out between now and 7/26 (well, maybe Universe wave 1) as I won't have money for TF's by then.

Supposedly Target is having a sale on TF's next week though I'm not sure if it's only animated or all TF's.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys. I'm just getting back into the game after a while. I stopped collecting them for a while after I completed my Cybertron collection(The only TF collection I have ever managed to complete).

I have seen the Prime/Megs 2-Pack in stores but that's about it so far. I have however read that numerous people have been having issues with the animated figs right out of the package.

El Chuxter
06-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Grimlock is the greatest because he's funny as hell, without compromising what makes him Grimlock--unlike the last season and a half of the G1 cartoon.

Plus, his comic counterpart (aside from the blasphemous "Dinocon" turncoat in Dreamwave's G1 series) is so uberbadarse it carries over.

BigB:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0tzcZ4GTzg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=leHcPpfjtAg

Jedi_Kal-El
06-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I picked up Prime and Lockdown today. I have yet to open them, but they look pretty sweet in package.

Chaddymac
06-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Which Prime? Deluxe?

I have to say, I have a very soft spot for these figures.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Sorry, yes the Cybertron version from wave 1. I've had a chance to open them, and I like them aside from the fact that Lockdown's legs popped off pretty easily when I transformed him.

bigbarada
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Grimlock is the greatest because he's funny as hell, without compromising what makes him Grimlock--unlike the last season and a half of the G1 cartoon.

Plus, his comic counterpart (aside from the blasphemous "Dinocon" turncoat in Dreamwave's G1 series) is so uberbadarse it carries over.

BigB:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0tzcZ4GTzg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=leHcPpfjtAg

That's actually really cool. Pretty unlikely origin, but no worse than every other Transformer origin. Also that fact that they were built using earth technology does a great job of explaining why they are so dumb compared to the rest of the Autobots and Decepticons.

Didn't they start out as bad guys in the cartoon?

Bulkhead is also on the fast track to becoming my all time favorite Transformer.:cool:

JediTricks
06-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Picked up Prowl at TRU the other day. Decent figure, but a few little issues too. The alt mode doesn't form properly because the hips have been widened from the original design or something along those lines, either the front end won't peg into the cowling or the rear end is pushed back away from the cowling (it's a "one or the other" situation), but it's better to have the rear end locked it because there's an ugly gap otherwise. Transformation is nifty, clever stuff all around, even on the simple reveal of the hands. Bot mode is good, loose hip joints though and articulation is a little weak. I don't really care for the head, but it's not terrible. The geared stars are keen, the traffic light is dumb.

figrin bran
06-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Transformers Universe wave 1 found today!!!!

I got Sunstreaker and Tankor (haven't transformed them yet so I can't comment just yet)

Also got Animated BB and Voyager Prime.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I just picked up Animated Ratchet, and I really like his robot mode. Love all the gadgets.

I have to say that when i first heard about the show and the figures I was really skeptical, but they've grown on me big time.

JediTricks
06-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Transformers Universe wave 1 found today!!!!

I got Sunstreaker and Tankor (haven't transformed them yet so I can't comment just yet)

Also got Animated BB and Voyager Prime.Why is it that nobody will say WHERE they found them? I'm assuming TRU, but which one?

figrin bran
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Why is it that nobody will say WHERE they found them? I'm assuming TRU, but which one?

Well, I did reveal exactly where on the LA finds thread. I just figure that it would only be relevant to only 2 of the regulars on this thread, who also frequent the LA finds thread.

In a nutshell, Sunstreaker and Tankor are okay but could've been better. I'll go into more detail once I've transformed both a few more times.

JediTricks
06-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Ugh, I don't like the sound of "okay but could have been better" there. :(

Chaddymac
06-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I found all three at the TRU on La Cienega. I think Sunstreaker's as close to perfect as I can imagine, but Prowl and Tankor/Octane have issues. Tankor I expected, because triple changers almost as a rule are problematic, but it takes some finesse to get everything to lock together in all three modes, though he is solid once you get it right. And his head doesn't seem to come up all the way. Not sure if it's part of the design or if I'm doing something wrong, but it makes him seem stunted somehow.

Prowl is awesome in car mode, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to transform him without the door panels popping off (which, in a way, is a nice homage to the G1 figure - HA!). His head is also on a joint that makes it appear as if he's looking down. Again, it may be limitations in my ability to transform him correctly, but I'm pretty sure I've got it right. He's still a really cool figure and I dig the faux shoulder rockets, even if they are blandly white and unpainted.

Sunstreaker is perfect. I have no complaints and wait with great anticipation for Sideswipe. I'm REALLY hoping they find a way to give Swipe a faux rocket launcher. I remember the original sketches showed the engine accessory as being able to transform into the rocket launcher, but that was clearly abandoned at some point. Although the gray pieces ARE on a hinge and I have yet to figure out why.

figrin bran
06-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Ugh, I don't like the sound of "okay but could have been better" there. :(

JT, the problems lie with Tankor. None of the modes, IMO, are very strong with bot being the weakest. He kind of reminds me of some of the SW TF's actually as the proportions are terrible on him. His arms are too short and the problem is heightened by the plane cockpit shoulder kibble that's protruding upwards.

The other problem is that I got Animated Voyager Prime on the same day, an outstanding figure, I might add, and so that makes Tankor even more of a disappointment. Classics Astrotrain was much, much better!

Jedi_Kal-El
06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
I've heard alot of bad things about Animated Voyager Prime on the TF forums, so the fact that you like him, puts my mind at ease about getting him now.

I was going to get him anyway, but it's good to hear he's not as bad as they're saying he is.

Tycho
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I went to Target today. They had all that Transformers Animated product and I looked at most of it (though didn't see the latest with Sunstreaker that so many of you have liked).

They also had movie Voyager Starscream in the premium format paint scheme and it looked really good and even tempting, but I know he's undersized and doesn't transform accurately. So I'll still wait for a Leader Starscream from Transformers 2.

JediTricks
06-30-2008, 03:43 PM
JT, the problems lie with Tankor. None of the modes, IMO, are very strong with bot being the weakest. He kind of reminds me of some of the SW TF's actually as the proportions are terrible on him. His arms are too short and the problem is heightened by the plane cockpit shoulder kibble that's protruding upwards. Thank goodness. I expected Tankorr to disappoint, I didn't even like Classics Astrotrain, he suffers from modern triplechanger problems so my hopes are low for Tankorr. I was worried there was something more substantially wrong with the others.

I went to Target today. They had all that Transformers Animated product and I looked at most of it (though didn't see the latest with Sunstreaker that so many of you have liked).Because Sunstreaker isn't in the "Animated" line, he's in the "Universe" line.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Because Sunstreaker isn't in the "Animated" line, he's in the "Universe" line.

lol Too funny.

So I have most of the Universe, and Classics lines figures that came out before the movie, and I was wondering if the ones in the new line are going to be worth picking up. I've read the thoughts on Sunstreaker and Tankor, but in anyones opinion, is this a line worth collecting?

JediTricks
06-30-2008, 04:30 PM
lol Too funny.

So I have most of the Universe, and Classics lines figures that came out before the movie, and I was wondering if the ones in the new line are going to be worth picking up. I've read the thoughts on Sunstreaker and Tankor, but in anyones opinion, is this a line worth collecting?
Absolutely! There are some really marvelous-looking designs coming in this new Universe line, Prowl and Sunstreaker are great starts it looks like. IMO, this line is the essence of Transformers - no gimmicks, no crazy styles, just things you might see around you turning into cool robots.

figrin bran
06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I've heard alot of bad things about Animated Voyager Prime on the TF forums, so the fact that you like him, puts my mind at ease about getting him now.

I was going to get him anyway, but it's good to hear he's not as bad as they're saying he is.

Wow, now I'm curious to find out what criticisms people have for Voyager Animated Prime. The only thing I can think of is the axe but I gave him the one from deluxe Animated Prime.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Most of the complaints I've read have been about his transformation, though I have heard some gripes about the axe as well.

figrin bran
07-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Most of the complaints I've read have been about his transformation, though I have heard some gripes about the axe as well.

Well, if you were reading Tformers.com by any chance, it seems a lot of those gripes were from people who didn't realize there was a small switch and thus made it harder on themselves to transform Optimus.

Chaddymac
07-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I hated the axe too. I just gave him the axe to the Prime/Megs two pack. I even modified the weird back/trailer thing voyager Prime has to I can fit the axe in there in car mode.

Wow - I never thought I'd out geek my peers on a transformers message board inside a star wars message board...but yeah. Here we are.

Jedi_Kal-El
07-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah, that was one place I was reading from. Doesn't matter to me though, as long as you're saying he works, that's fine by me.

Jedi_Kal-El
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I picked up the Prime/Megs 2-Pack today, and aside from the punching action, and painted on battle damage, it's a pretty good set.

figrin bran
07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
HTS has finally gotten around to fulfilling some of my Animated preorders. Some I was able to cancel in time while the others will end up being returns as I've been able to find almost everything at retail. I did manage to cancel Sunstreaker and Tankor so it seems like they're not even close to shipping those out yet.

Jedi_Kal-El
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I have yet to see anything past the first wave of deluxe figures for the animated line, but at the same time, I have not been to TRU in quite some time, so I'm not sure what they have to offer.

Wal-Mart and Target on the other hand seem to have a huge glut of the leftover movie repaints that no one seems to want.

figrin bran
07-07-2008, 02:07 AM
McDonald's is giving away TFA toys with their current Happy Meal promo. I have Optimus and Megs and honestly, they're not that great but if you get them with the meal, there's a $5 off a 19.99 TFA purchase coupon on the side of the bag. I'm definitely going to use one on Leader class Megs.

Adam
07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Maybe I just haven't been paying attention to this one.. is it just me or is Silverbolts chest.. pink-ish? http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=8173\

I mean.. honestly... I sure hope that is the lighting.

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Wow, it sure looks that way. Yikes!

I spotted TFA Lugnut and Grimlock at Target today.

Still haven't found any TF:Universe though.

El Chuxter
07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Saw Grimlock at Target. I can wait until the one I ordered ships, but, man, is that one beautiful chunk of plastic.

figrin bran
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Saw Grimlock at Target. I can wait until the one I ordered ships, but, man, is that one beautiful chunk of plastic.

Why not just buy him now and then keep the receipt so that you can return the one you get from HTS? That's what I might do, providing that I find one.

El Chuxter
07-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, he's the only Animated figure I plan to get, so I can wait for a few weeks. Especially since that means more time to make room for him. :D

Also, the paint on the one I saw was sorta jacked up.

figrin bran
07-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Well, he's the only Animated figure I plan to get, so I can wait for a few weeks. Especially since that means more time to make room for him. :D

Also, the paint on the one I saw was sorta jacked up.

You mean you don't even want Snarl and Swoop? :(

jedi master sal
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Grimlock has been easy to find in my area. I'm just not getting any of these animated ones. Though I did get Black Arachnia for my fiancee since she's a big spider fan.

Tycho
07-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I saw a lot of stuff at Toys R Us today:

Animated Leader Class Megatron - was very tempting. Actually to buy him and Voyager Starscream to go with him. I almost did it, too! They're pretty fun figures.

They had a Voyager Class "Cybertron cannon" Megatron as well, but I wasn't sold on it. The Megatron robots in both cases looked good though - with the right head and the cannon on the arm.

There was a very small BumbleBee that was totally cute and a very articulated figure for such a small piece. He DID transform, too.

The Optimus Primes they had were Voyager or Deluxe Class and not terribly impressive. I want to see the Animated Leader Class Prime in person.

They had the T-Universe Prowl and Sunstreaker. I can see what all the fuss is about: these are nice figures.

Hey - more after I rest. But there was one Voyager Autobot who was like a scrunched up cartoon military truck. Both Bot and Vehicle modes were cute.

Oh, Premium Formate Deluxe Movie BumbleBee and Barricade - didn't impress really. I mean they're nice, but I have these figures already.

figrin bran
07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I saw a lot of stuff at Toys R Us today:

Animated Leader Class Megatron - was very tempting. Actually to buy him and Voyager Starscream to go with him. I almost did it, too! They're pretty fun figures.

They had a Voyager Class "Cybertron cannon" Megatron as well, but I wasn't sold on it. The Megatron robots in both cases looked good though - with the right head and the cannon on the arm.

There was a very small BumbleBee that was totally cute and a very articulated figure for such a small piece. He DID transform, too.

The Optimus Primes they had were Voyager or Deluxe Class and not terribly impressive. I want to see the Animated Leader Class Prime in person.

They had the T-Universe Prowl and Sunstreaker. I can see what all the fuss is about: these are nice figures.

Hey - more after I rest. But there was one Voyager Autobot who was like a scrunched up cartoon military truck. Both Bot and Vehicle modes were cute.

Oh, Premium Formate Deluxe Movie BumbleBee and Barricade - didn't impress really. I mean they're nice, but I have these figures already.

Man, why are you guys that don't even collect TFA finding Grimlock and Leader Megs before me? I would've bought both on the spot.

Tycho, there's not going to be a Leader class Optimus. It's going to be a Supreme class Optimus.

Universe Prowl isn't actually that great. The best grade I'll give him is a B/B+. The seam lines in car mode are even worse than Movie Bumblebee and the paint apps are rather sloppy around the front bumper and rear window. On the back of the package, the details on the rear bumper are actually painted but on the actual figure, they are not. They did such a great job with the details on Sunstreaker's rear so I don't understand why Prowl didn't get as great a treatment.

Tycho
07-11-2008, 05:13 AM
For the record, I did not see Grimlock. That would have been a fun curiousity for me.

I don't understand why Hasbro would make an Optimus Prime larger than a Megatron, unless a Supreme Class Megatron is planned for later. Likewise, a Leader Class Optimus might be planned for later, too.

Megatron looks like he turns into an Osprey. That's way cool!

figrin bran
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
For the record, I did not see Grimlock. That would have been a fun curiousity for me.

I don't understand why Hasbro would make an Optimus Prime larger than a Megatron, unless a Supreme Class Megatron is planned for later. Likewise, a Leader Class Optimus might be planned for later, too.

Megatron looks like he turns into an Osprey. That's way cool!

I'm not sure if Megs is an Osprey so much as he is Osprey inspired. In the cartoon, I've only noticed him flying at helicopter speeds and not jet speeds.

jedi master sal
07-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure if Megs is an Osprey so much as he is Osprey inspired. In the cartoon, I've only noticed him flying at helicopter speeds and not jet speeds.

Tell ya what Figgy. I'll get you Grimlock if you get me the Halo 3 exclusive at SDCC. I'll pay you the difference of course. In fact I'll pay up front for the Halo stuff and we can work it out later.

I SERIOUSLY want that exclusive and am going to need some help aquiring it.

I have no problem hooking you up with Grimlock.

Heck, I'll even go a step further....ready for this...

If you can get me the Halo exclusive (again I'll forward the money in advance), I'll buy you the Grimlock and ship it to you for FREE!

-Sal

Jedi_Kal-El
07-11-2008, 01:05 PM

I've wondered that too, about the size anyway. I can understand the Supreme Prime from a marketing standpoint, but to be true to scale, Megs is much bigger than Prime in the show.

Adam
07-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Silverbolt looks slightly better here, but I still don't understand why they would go with that color for the chest.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=8928

El Chuxter
07-11-2008, 08:42 PM
I saw the Universe Sunstreaker, Prowl, and Tankor Octane at TRU today. They look SWEET.

However, they're $10.99, and I'm pretty certain WM and Target will have them for less, and they shouldn't be too hard to find, being the first releases in the line.

figrin bran
07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
I saw the Universe Sunstreaker, Prowl, and Tankor Octane at TRU today. They look SWEET.

However, they're $10.99, and I'm pretty certain WM and Target will have them for less, and they shouldn't be too hard to find, being the first releases in the line.

So should I direct you to the posts where I discussed the huge disappointment that is Tankor/Octane or let you find out for yourself? :p

JediTricks
07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I saw that review on Silverbolt, confirms everything I suspected from the first pictures. Awful awful awful.

I'll pay $10.99 each when I see 'em. WM and Target aren't even putting them on pegs yet. I haven't seen 'em yet though. :(

figrin bran
07-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I found a restock of Universe Classics at the local TRU this morning but the scalpers were all over them.

While they were fighting over those, I was able to pick out the Leader class animated Megs with the best paint app. I used the McDonald's coupon but it ended up only saving me a dollar. Still a dollar's a dollar.

I've only transformed him once so far but my initial impressions are that though I'd give him a high grade, he does lose points for being a lego former.

I say this about every TF copter/rotor powered aircraft (just to include Incinerator into the conversation) but the rotors could've been done better. In this case, they opted to have the two blades "spin linked". The end result is even worse than Blackout and Incinerator as the gears are so tight and ratcheted that you can't spin them rapidly at all. So when is Hasbro going to figure out that free spinning is the best solution.

Bot mode for Megs is very imposing looking and he definitely makes the grade based on that.

Tycho
07-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Glad you liked him. I did too when I was looking at him.

You forgot to mention that he talks and his mouth moves when he says stuff.

How cool is that? I like that feature on the toys actually. I think it worked for the 12" Indiana Jones.

Though the Falcon won't have moving mouths, it will be fun to play with that on the BMF, too.

JediTricks
07-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Spotted TFA Leader Megs at TRU Burbank today. He looks ok, but seems too small for a Leader-class figure. I'm surprised to hear he legoforms, how so?

Found TFU Prowl and Sunstreaker as well, same store, in the middle of the afternoon no less. No Tankors though, why anybody would hoard what appears to be the line's big loser is beyond me, but I'm thrilled to have these 2.

Transformers Universe Prowl - very cool, wish the wheels were fatter and the paint were a little better or more interesting, but otherwise lots of nifty stuff going on, clever transformation bits, good poseability. Side view is a little gappy, I don't like how the shoulders or torso look from here at all, and the whole thing could use better paint. Homage is good stuff, 280z to a 350z, shoulder rockets, even the chest hood, door wings, and rear end legs make it charming. Still, it's nifty

TFU Sunstreaker - alt mode is good but like their last lamborghini attempt (RID Prowl), they kinda thicken up the car vertically. Deco is badly hurt by yellow paint on black part, impossible to do this right on this budget (needs an extra primer coat underneath). Transformation has a lot of weird and wild stuff going on, kinda Alternators-y. Bot mode is cool, one of the best G1 homages yet (and you can see how they're gonna do Sideswipe with this mold which is cool, a good variation) and just clever on its own. No torso gapping which is great, feels like a rough customer. Head is automorph geared to reveal, also reveals the ears, but this leaves the chest at a 1 or 2 degree angle (you can kinda work with it to get out of there, but it doesn't ratchet so it could break). Upper arms slide off, but I don't mind. A real winner.

It's funny, both have paint issues, and both have instructions that don't fulfill entirely (the feet pulling all the way down on Prowl, the beginning order on both is a bit out of whack).

figrin bran
07-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Oops, I forgot about Animated Megs' talking feature.

JT, the part of him that legoforms is the bottom part of the cockpit where the cannon is attached. When you transform to bot mode, you pull that entire section out and then lock it onto either wrist.

Wow, that's hilarious that Burbank TRU had those deluxes at midday because at LF TRU this morning, two of our local scalpers were fighting over them. That's why I wasn't able to stash for you but in the end you still got them. Believe me, it's no loss that you don't have Tankor yet.

On my Prowl's (Universe) car mode, there are some horribly large seams in the front, especially that area between the doors and windshield - is yours the same? And on that piece comprised by part of the hood and bumper that flips to reveal the head, there's no black paint along the seams. Lastly on the rear window, there's an awful lot of white between the seams. Tell me I just happened to get a really poorly painted Prowl, JT and it's not like this across the board! I haven't had the benefit of examining other Prowls closely as the 2 times I've seen Universe deluxes at stores, scalpers have always been present and swooping in on these. They seem to snatch Tankor first which makes me laugh inside a bit.

El Chuxter
07-13-2008, 10:19 AM
So should I direct you to the posts where I discussed the huge disappointment that is Tankor/Octane or let you find out for yourself? :p

I have the original Octane.

It would be really tough to not improve upon that.

JediTricks
07-13-2008, 02:35 PM
JT, the part of him that legoforms is the bottom part of the cockpit where the cannon is attached. When you transform to bot mode, you pull that entire section out and then lock it onto either wrist. Ah, ok. I don't consider that legoforming, it's a weapon, it's not uncommon for that sort of thing to behave that way. It being integral to alt mode is not uncommon these days either. Aren't all the axes on the Animated Optimus Primes the same thing?

Wow, that's hilarious that Burbank TRU had those deluxes at midday because at LF TRU this morning, two of our local scalpers were fighting over them. That's why I wasn't able to stash for you but in the end you still got them. Believe me, it's no loss that you don't have Tankor yet. Scalpers are going to be more desperate with gas so high, I hope it chokes the life right out of their foul deeds.

And yeah, I didn't mind not finding Tankor, the previous triple-changer disappointed and this one looks to be worse.

On my Prowl's (Universe) car mode, there are some horribly large seams in the front, especially that area between the doors and windshield - is yours the same? And on that piece comprised by part of the hood and bumper that flips to reveal the head, there's no black paint along the seams. Lastly on the rear window, there's an awful lot of white between the seams. Tell me I just happened to get a really poorly painted Prowl, JT and it's not like this across the board! I haven't had the benefit of examining other Prowls closely as the 2 times I've seen Universe deluxes at stores, scalpers have always been present and swooping in on these. They seem to snatch Tankor first which makes me laugh inside a bit.Yeah, snaking Tankor is a laffer! Can I interest you guys in buying some rare 1996 pennies too? ;)

First off, on my Prowl, the paint is tacky on the fenders and doors, that's kinda lame. As for gapping, there are a lot of paint issues where the white shows through. I wouldn't say there are huge seams though, there's a small physical gap where the windshield meets the door though, that's bad design. And there's gapping in bot mode. I'd say you probably got a fair version, the paint isn't great, but yours probably is a little higher on the offend-o-meter.

I have the original Octane.

It would be really tough to not improve upon that.And yet, they failed. Compare and despair:
http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=920
http://www.tfu.info/1986/Decepticon/Octane/octane.htm
The new head isn't as good as the old, and the new truck mode looks like it's pooping a plane.

Jedi_Kal-El
07-13-2008, 04:18 PM
You guys are making me wonder if getting back into the Universe line is even worth it. I have most of the first Universe line, so I imagine I'll end up picking up some of these new ones eventually.

Adam
07-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I still kinda like Octankor's robot mode so I might pick it up. It doesn't look THAT bad.

figrin bran
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Ah, ok. I don't consider that legoforming, it's a weapon, it's not uncommon for that sort of thing to behave that way. It being integral to alt mode is not uncommon these days either. Aren't all the axes on the Animated Optimus Primes the same thing?

Good to know! Looks like I'll have to alter my definition of legoforming.

Kal, the Universe line is worth it. Just not Tankor :p

JediTricks
07-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Prowl isn't the greatest, but it's a'ight. Sunstreaker kicks monster *** though. Onslaught, Powerglide, Galvatron, and Sideswipe are coming soon and also look super good.

Tycho
07-14-2008, 01:21 AM
I finally returned Wingblade and await my chance to buy Powerglide. He's the only Transformer currently on my plan-to-buy list.

If I'm disappointed, my TRU actually has 3 or so Wingblades, PLUS my return, if I want to backtrack myself.

Funny thing is, I could almost bring myself to buy the Animated figures - at least the Decepticons.

JediTricks
07-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Part of me wants to bring my Wing Saber figure down to SD just so you can see how much pure Lame it is, but I don't wanna dig it out, track down a Cyber Key to activate the gimmick, and then lose its parts along the way. And bringing Wing Saber would make me bring Optimus so you could see how he's meant to be a backpack, then I'd have to bring the Time Force Power Rangers Megazords they ripped off the design from those, and then I'd have to bring Leobreaker so you could see how he becomes Optimus' giant lion arm, and then I'd have to bring Megatron so you could see how he can become that arm too.

El Chuxter
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Found the three Universe fellas at Wal-Mart today, along with the new Robot Heroes. I snagged the classic G1 Heroes and the Universe figures. Oddly, there was one Tankor, one Prowl, and about ten (no joke) Sunstreakers. The shelf tag said $10.99, but they rang up at $9.99, so I'm not sure if they're increasing in price soon or what.

figrin bran
07-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Part of me wants to bring my Wing Saber figure down to SD just so you can see how much pure Lame it is, but I don't wanna dig it out, track down a Cyber Key to activate the gimmick, and then lose its parts along the way. And bringing Wing Saber would make me bring Optimus so you could see how he's meant to be a backpack, then I'd have to bring the Time Force Power Rangers Megazords they ripped off the design from those, and then I'd have to bring Leobreaker so you could see how he becomes Optimus' giant lion arm, and then I'd have to bring Megatron so you could see how he can become that arm too.

In lieu of that, how about if you drag Tycho to see that currently playing robot movie with minimal dialogue and yet massive amounts of character development? :p

It looks like only Chux and I are into the Robot Heroes as I bought Cheetor/Blackarachnnia and Blitzwing/"Autobot Hound" yesterday. I assume that situation with Hound is yet another one of those instances where they lost the copyright and have to stick an "autobot" in there.

Tycho
07-15-2008, 12:57 AM

It just sounds like you're saying I made a good choice to return Wingblade.

Now, currently awaiting the release of Powerglide. I sure hope he's worth it!

Adam
07-15-2008, 01:06 AM
I'm glad you finally made a decision.

I have problems with the way Powerglide looks, (his feet look out of proportion to me) but I still think he's a better looking figure than Wingblade.

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
In lieu of that, how about if you drag Tycho to see that currently playing robot movie with minimal dialogue and yet massive amounts of character development? :pI don't want to sit next to him while he squirms and complains that there's not enough "awesome". Besides, it doesn't have any G1-homage names that come off completely meaningless because they're applied to generic characters.

It just sounds like you're saying I made a good choice to return Wingblade.It just sounds like I was saying that months ago when you bought that turkey.

I have problems with the way Powerglide looks, (his feet look out of proportion to me) but I still think he's a better looking figure than Wingblade.What, too small for you?

Jedi_Kal-El
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I saw Animated Grimlock at my local Target yesterday. They have about 10 of them but I may have to wait until next week to pick him up. They also have one half an aisle reserved for Animated product, but have yet to fill the pegs. They finally put all the movie product on clearance, but no Universe as of yet.

JediTricks
07-22-2008, 02:02 AM
I hit Target for some SDCC supplies (Ensure, sunscreen, I don't even remember what else) and found TF:U Tankor. Even though I had been adequately warned, I had to know in person, so down went $10. Man, there is officially a new court jester in the Classics line, Tankor has dethroned the previous one, Astrotrain. I didn't like Astrotrain, but he was a sight better than this all-around loser. Whoever designed Tankor here needs to put down the pipe and get himself to an NA meeting, stat. So many poor ideas, a really stupid head, and underwhelming sculpting. And what's the hinged buttplate about? How they could take a weak G1 character and make him worse in every way is impressive, but the figure itself is merely laughable at best.

BTW, my buddies from BWTF.com forums were displaced when they were unexpectedly closed at the beginning of the year. After talking about it for far too long, I finally just decided to start a TF forum myself since I have the space and it was an easy install. I'm not putting a lot of time into it right now, but got a fair group going. Anyway, if you guys want to check it out, have a look: http://www.tfviews.com/forums/index.php

figrin bran
07-22-2008, 02:12 AM
Told ya so, JT!

At least you only paid Target's price. I paid a dollar more at TRU. I've decided to just keep mine in plane mode as that's probably the least offensive of the modes.

That still doesn't explain why at 2 of our local Targets, Sunstreakers and Prowls outnumber Tankor greatly.

Adam
07-22-2008, 06:20 PM
So after a fairly long drought of no TF-goodness, I finally got around to buying some TFU figures today plus Ani-Leader Megs.

I kinda understand what people are saying about Octankor, but I kinda like him. A triple-changer has no business being a deluxe though, why they can justify Powerglide being an ultra but Octane gets stuck in the deluxe class makes little sense to me.

Prowl is pretty much what I expected based on what people have said. My only nitpick is that his shoulders seem to stick out a bit too far.

Sunstreaker is the best of the three no-doubt. I could just tell from alt mode that he was a solid TF. I really cant wait for Sunstreaker, and if they ever do Red Alert hopefully it wont be another Seeker debacle. I had to fix Sunstreaker though as his roof did not line up correctly after the auto-morph.

Blaster had some problems. You might rememeber how Cyb Soundwave's legs were kinda wobbly due to the extra joint meant to allow the legs to form the nose of the plane. They were so wobbly on Blaster that he couldn't stand up. I almost took the legs apart to try and fix them, but I got lazy and just stuffed a peice of a napkin in the joint. It actually works really well, and Blaster stands just fine now. lol

Adam
07-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Here's the TF panel: http://tformers.com/transformers-sdcc-2008-day-3-transformers-panel-report/9906/news.html

Some of the new animated stuff is interesting, such as Swindle and Longarm/Shockwave. I'm very curious to see how that one turns out. Hound and Cyclonus look great. The only thing was not yet revealed untill now that I really cared about was Inferno. I was expecting a little more on the TFU front.

Hasbro hinted that Alts are will be returning. Someone asked about Wheeljack ( I assume for TFU ) and they said they weren't ready to talk about it. One comment I found interesting, someone asked if TFU would see figures from the Japanese series such as Victory, Headmaster, Masterforce. Hasbro responded that TFU celebrates all eras. The questioner asked if that counted as a "maybe," to which Hasbro said "better than a maybe."

Tycho
07-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I saw Powerglide in person in Hasbro's display and he's awesome. He IS smaller than I'd wanted him to be in jet mode, but I like him a lot and will gladly purchase him.

I'm liking more and more of the Animated as I see it, but am resisting the temptation. Leader Class Megatron as an Osprey (or something kind of close to it) is really cool. Voyager Starscream looks great with him.

I wish they had a standard Leader Class Optimus Prime.

But the Animated are totally tempting me. Grimlock looked great too (El Chuxter) - and I think it was his Animated figure?

The Universe assortment's Sunstreaker / Sideswipe DO impress very much. Prowl is also tempting (Universe I think).

I'm just really waiting for the TF2 movie product and hope that there will be more Alternator-type offerings and Masterpieces from Takara that I'll want.

I heard someone from these boards got a really great deal at Comic Con, but I'll let him post about that! ;) (Nice price, though. Wow!)

jedi master sal
07-27-2008, 08:35 AM
I saw Snarl and Jazz (animated). I'm not collecting this line, but they were neat. I was tempted to get Grimlock before. Now seeing Snarl, I'm even more tempted, but Snarl sold quickly, so I'll continue to pass on this animated line.

Beast
07-27-2008, 08:59 AM
What.... still no word of Dispensor?

Jedi_Kal-El
07-27-2008, 10:35 AM
I saw Snarl and Jazz (animated). I'm not collecting this line, but they were neat. I was tempted to get Grimlock before. Now seeing Snarl, I'm even more tempted, but Snarl sold quickly, so I'll continue to pass on this animated line.

I havn't seen anything of Animated past wave 2 in my area yet. Grimlock came and went fast when he first came out so I grabed one up(Yes Chux, he does kick ***). I accquired Animated Bumblebee, Prowl, and Starscream last night in a trade. Although I had a few small QC issues with the Screamer, they're all pretty sweet.

matthewilw
07-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I saw Powerglide in person in Hasbro's display and he's awesome. He IS smaller than I'd wanted him to be in jet mode, but I like him a lot and will gladly purchase him.

Really? I saw powerglide at a local target a few days ago and was actually surprised at how large it was. I thought it would be smaller. On the other hand, Onslaught was actually smaller than I thought so I guess it evens out.

I think I'm going to wait for the black powerglide repaint. I know alot of people hate black repaints, but I wish I could buy all my transformers in black. Plus if I wait for the repaint then I'll have more money to track down that SDCC exclusive Halo set from McFarlane that I want so bad.

Tycho
07-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I don't know about the size and everything.

I passed on some of the Voyager class movie Decepticons because I didn't like the size. Starscream for one - even though his exclusive repaint at Target is really tempting me.

figrin bran
07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I had already spent a ton of money over the past few days but I lucked into all of the Transformers Animated that I've been hunting for weeks and bought all 4 of them. Of course it helps that I had already budgeted for them.

So for a mere $7 and change, I got TFA Snarl, Jazz, Soundwave plus 2 Kashykk Troopers and a Juno Eclipse for $1.66 each. I forgot that I had a $25 Target gift card lying around so I used that along with the $5 off coupon from the McDonald's TF happy meals.

I also lucked into a Grimlock at WM.

Quick thoughts on each one:

Grimlock would be close to one of the best Grimlocks except for his underbelly being completely exposed. No wonder all the shots of him in dino mode are from the side. I wonder why they didn't just copy the underbelly flaps design from the Classics version. Also the knees in dino mode extend backwards like they do on most dinosaurs which is fine except that when you transform him, it makes his arms look strange. Nonetheless, it's still a worthwhile addition to the collection. I'd give him a B+/A-. The back of the box seems to imply that you can remove part of the flames from the sword and stick it out of his mouth but as the sword is attached by screws, I don't really see how it's possible which is a shame because that would've upped my grade to A.

Animated Jazz - A solid "A". Neat looking alt mode, simple but effective transformation. The seam line problem found on a lot of recent Autobots be they Animated or Classics isn't found here. When removed the exhaust pipes become energy nunchuks which was a really, really nice touch. One more thing, Jazz actually has hands! *coughcoughmoviejazz*.

Slag/"Snarl" - Solid "A" as well. I read reviews calling him a brickformer but this was yet another well designed deluxe (wish he could've been a Voyager). Neat alt mode, no belly exposure. I always wanted Slag as a kid but inexplicably picked the real Snarl, the stegosaurus over him.

Soundwave - I didn't want to like him as I wasn't crazy about the alt mode and liked Laserbeak's alt mode even less (and this is from someone that does play guitar and should think this is the coolest thing ever). However, it too is well designed and perhaps because it's a darker color, the seam line problem is minimized enough that it's not a problem at all. They didn't bother to paint Laserbeak's eyes which is a real downer. I give the two a B+

edit: I may need to rescind Soundwave's grade and give him a lower one. The color scheme of the alt mode looks like something out of Tron. Bot mode is very clunky looking and the shoulder kibble is so great that it hampers the shoulder articulation. The face is flattened in such a way that it appears almost 2-D. The revised grade is now B-.

El Chuxter
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I didn't get anything new lately, but a guy at the Con had Masterpiece Megatron for $80 :eek:, so I finally have that bad boy to torment my Masterpiece Prime and kick my Masterpiece Starscream's butt.

figrin bran
07-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I didn't get anything new lately, but a guy at the Con had Masterpiece Megatron for $80 :eek:, so I finally have that bad boy to torment my Masterpiece Prime and kick my Masterpiece Starscream's butt.

Whoa! I would've ponied up the money had I seen it. I'm not sure which day you got it on but had you shown it to us at the Thursday luncheon, I'm sure most of us would've been drooling at MP Megs and not drooling over the Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 02:15 AM
I didn't see it until Saturday. :( It was marked at $85, but the guy brought it down to $80 when I seemed a bit hesitant. Funny thing is, the guy running the booth said he didn't want to have to take anything back on Sunday afternoon, but he actually marked it up to $90 on Sunday, and refused to take anything less than $14 for a GIJoe Duke/Red Star 2-pack.

Tycho
07-29-2008, 04:01 AM
Well, you got the most amazing deal at Comic Con that I heard of, Chux.

Congrats on Megatron!

figrin bran
07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
$14 for Duke/Red Star???? Hahaha.

I'm like the lone person on SSG that never saw any of the Viper/Spirit wave at retail and the Snow Job wave only once and yet even I can find the Duke/Red Star pack quite easily.

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Scored Onslaught today. I went to two Targets, and both had him. No Powerglides, though.

Dark Marble
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Is there a final word on MP Thundercracker and if he is being released in the U.S. as MP Starscream was? I would buy him at $50 but not $100.

Tycho
07-31-2008, 04:23 AM
There's never "a final word" on that. You just have to watch the TF news.

But Skywarp was never released in the US yet and has been out longer on the Japanese market. You'd think that'd be telling for Thundercracker's fate.

Adam
07-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Hasbro said at SDCC they currently have no plans for further MP figures.

Read a little review of Powerglide on shortpacked, it seems that my view that his legs are misproportioned may come from his legs not being fully extended in 'bot mode. Hmmm..

figrin bran
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Scored Onslaught today. I went to two Targets, and both had him. No Powerglides, though.

Chux, how do you like Onslaught? And is he 24.99? I'm on the fence with him so I'd like to hear what other SSG'ers think before plunking down the cash for him.

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 01:54 AM
So, I still have to write up my TF panel writeup for ActionFigs, and to be honest I'm kinda not feeling it anymore because Hasbro wouldn't pony up digital resources the way they did for Star Wars, and I don't have the visual references I was counting on to carry the article. Either I'll have it underway or done tomorrow, or tossed on its ear entirely. :p

Today I hit a pretty decent TFU jackpot. TRU Culver City had Dlx Galvatron, and Ultra Onslaught and Powerglide.

Galvatron is wild, one of the best tank efforts ever and easily one of the most creative transformations of all time. Bot mode looks pretty good, some stuff gets in the way of motion on the right arm, but it can be worked out. There seems to be an abandoned second alt mode, with legs and a weird hook, going for a cannon emplacement thing, no mention in instructions but it ain't so bad.

Onslaught is pretty cool, very beefy and a little chunky in bot mode. Alt mode has good detailing and looks tough, and once everything's worked out it holds in place (except for the top shield accessory, which is only thinly held in place). Transformation is edging towards simplistic but lots of panel movement keeps it interesting. The turret cannons are too small and pop off way too easily. But articulation is good, even sports wrist articulation, and he seems incredibly stable. Electronics are cute but could be better, though the reflectors for the machine gun lights are a good touch.

Powerglide is very cool. The vehicle mode is pretty decent, a little undercarriage stuff but pretty minor compared to most jets, mainly stable (the wings can rotate out of position but that's about it). The main button cycles through 3 different sounds, 1 for each press, and the cockpit and engines light up with each. The nose gun is big and kinda cool, but the missile sticking out the back is "meh" and the gun keeps the landing gear from working quite right. Transformation is amazingly clever, and right when stuff feels like it's just gone nuts halfway through, that's when the transformation sound occurs! Granted, the instructions leave this flopping so it can make the transformation sound over and over (and each depress triggers the transforming-back sound), but if you change the order of what goes where you get a very satisfying single use on the sound. Bot mode is a real beefy, buff guy, the shoulders are set far back like he has something to prove. Everything holds together nicely, I actually tossed him in the air twice and the second time accidentally dropped him about 7 feet with a miss, NOTHING was dislodged or broken. Bot mode is as tall as MP Starscream! In this mode, the button only sets off the machine gun sound. Articulation is very good (although non-articulated wrists, oddly), there's even a little tilt to the feet which the design wouldn't seem like it could do. Color could use a little more red, and some weathering, but the all-red Japanese version I think would really hurt this figure unless it goes really dark. The only element that doesn't do what you tell it is the stomach panel, this one seems like it should wedge in further but doesn't, and can walk itself out with play, but it's not that big a deal. A real nifty set all around.

I saw Powerglide in person in Hasbro's display and he's awesome. He IS smaller than I'd wanted him to be in jet mode, but I like him a lot and will gladly purchase him.In bot mode, he's as big as MP Starscream.

Really? I saw powerglide at a local target a few days ago and was actually surprised at how large it was. I thought it would be smaller. On the other hand, Onslaught was actually smaller than I thought so I guess it evens out.Onslaught has bulk which evens him out with Powerglide, they're both roughly the same size. Onslaught's maybe a head shorter than Powerglide, but he does sport a big ol' shield.

The back of the box seems to imply that you can remove part of the flames from the sword and stick it out of his mouth but as the sword is attached by screws, I don't really see how it's possible which is a shame because that would've upped my grade to A. From what I've seen, the WHOLE sword pops into his mouth to do that, it's pretty basic.

I didn't get anything new lately, but a guy at the Con had Masterpiece Megatron for $80 :eek:, so I finally have that bad boy to torment my Masterpiece Prime and kick my Masterpiece Starscream's butt.Glad I didn't see that, I would have been tempted. I really don't want the figure much, but seeing it for "almost reasonable" would have left me kicking myself.

Read a little review of Powerglide on shortpacked, it seems that my view that his legs are misproportioned may come from his legs not being fully extended in 'bot mode. Hmmm..I found 1 and 1 of the Ultras today. His legs do telescope which gives him better height, but there is a different proportion issue in that his thighs are pretty thin compared to the rest of him, he is a beefy bruiser in every other way.

Adam
08-01-2008, 02:15 AM
You're thoughts on Galvatron have pushed me over the fence, I think I am going to get him at this point. It will be a bit before I can get him or the ultras though, gonna take a bit to recover from last weekend. :P

figrin bran
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
From what I've seen, the WHOLE sword pops into his mouth to do that, it's pretty basic.

No, that does not work because Grimlock's mouth isn't large enough to accomodate the sword's handle. It is doable but the end result just looks like Grimlock in circus trick mode eating a fiery sword and not actually breathing flames. Boo to Hasbro for printing on 2 places on the box "removable burst of flame!"

Congrats on finding Galvatron, Onslaught and Powerglide. Hopefully I'll find them soon as well.

Chaddymac
08-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Also found the ultras today. Haven't opened them yet, but I can't wait.

figrin bran
08-02-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm a member of the "Masterpiece" Powerglide owners club now. There were also 3 Onslaughts but I passed for the time being.

Powerglide more than makes up for Tankor and I just might have to give him a rare "A+".

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Daaaaamn! I can see where there's room for improvement (the milky-silver plastic parts don't quite lock down in bot mode, there could be a paint wash to add something, the wings could hold in alt mode better - although they work fine as is, they could be better) so I'm shocked to hear such a high grade even though I think very highly of this entry.

I found TFA Oil Slick at Target West LA today, bought him. I dig the bike mode, but colors are a little dodgy (not bad, just not great). I love how the saddlebags fold up to hold the barrels, but the barrels are a total WTF accessory - the chain one at least has chain cool though. Transformation has some ok stuff but is generally too simplistic, though I do like his legs folding 180 into themselves for a lot of added bot height. Bot mode has some wicked charm, but could stand a little more creativity in stuff that's not the head (the head could have used a different color for the eyes, but is otherwise quite keen). All in all, not shabby but not Prowl.

figrin bran
08-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Daaaaamn! I can see where there's room for improvement (the milky-silver plastic parts don't quite lock down in bot mode, there could be a paint wash to add something, the wings could hold in alt mode better - although they work fine as is, they could be better) so I'm shocked to hear such a high grade even though I think very highly of this entry.

I found TFA Oil Slick at Target West LA today, bought him. I dig the bike mode, but colors are a little dodgy (not bad, just not great). I love how the saddlebags fold up to hold the barrels, but the barrels are a total WTF accessory - the chain one at least has chain cool though. Transformation has some ok stuff but is generally too simplistic, though I do like his legs folding 180 into themselves for a lot of added bot height. Bot mode has some wicked charm, but could stand a little more creativity in stuff that's not the head (the head could have used a different color for the eyes, but is otherwise quite keen). All in all, not shabby but not Prowl.

Well, I did say "might" give and not "will have to give" :p So I'm reading that a lot of TF collectors don't really like Powerglide so what do I know anyhow? Some of them seem to like Animated Soundwave so again, what do I know?

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Who the hell doesn't like this figure? TF fans annoy me sometimes, this is an awesome figure. We may not agree on how many nits to pick, but it's not in question here that I know of.

El Chuxter
08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
If I ever see one (aside from in a display case), I might let y'all know if I like it. :)

figrin bran
08-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Who the hell doesn't like this figure? TF fans annoy me sometimes, this is an awesome figure. We may not agree on how many nits to pick, but it's not in question here that I know of.

Well, I've been reading more than my share of utterly ridiculous statements over on the Tformers forums. Aside from unfounded Powerglide gripes "no minibot deserves this sort of treatment!", I've also read through a thread where people were crying sour grapes over the amount of space that retailers were devoting to SW CW and Legacy.

Tycho
08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I want to get Powerglide! :mad:

Adam
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I saw Onslaught and Powerglide at TRU today, but couldn't buy them quite yet. Onslaught looks pretty sweet.

I hear that Leader Ultra Magnus is out too.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I've now seen all the Universe that are out to date, but I can't afford them. I have a buddy who's is willing to trade me an Onslaught for my Cybertron Jetfire, but I don't see that happening, as My Cybertron collection is the only one I've completed to date. It's also one of my favorite lines.

I must say that Onslaught is pretty darn sweet looking though, and I do plan to pick him up when I can.

matthewilw
08-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I found ultra silverbolt today at a local target. I had bee waiting to see this one in person to decide but today I decided to pass. I only want him for his alt. mode and even that isn't worth $25 to me. I did find a ton of the target exclusive premium starscream for $13 though.

Tycho
08-09-2008, 07:04 AM
I asked my Toys R Us employees for help. Several of them REALLY know Transformers well and buy them, also.

Our store has not YET received shipments with Powerglide! He has not come in at all!

figrin bran
08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, the employee at Burbank TRU we code named "Dazed and Confused" knows Transformers well. That doesn't mean he's a great guy.

Chaddymac
08-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Any LA hunters seen Grimlock recently? He's the only Animated fig in release that I haven't seen yet. And, with that in mind, anyone seen Silverbolt yet?

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 10:47 PM
No Grimlock around here lately. Picked up TFA Jazz and Soundwave though...

Soundwave - I kinda dig the alt modes here, even the Tron-esque trim coloring and G1 homages. Transformation is an ugly affair with a nifty touch here and there. Bot mode is a huge disappointment, head and body just don't deliver that well, articulation is a mixed bag, and he's super short. Laserbeak is nifty, but when you have Soundwave playing the guitar, all is forgiven, he's a rad shredder! So, ****ty bot mode but fun gimmick.

Jazz - very tiny alt mode but lots of character in it, however door panels don't align quite right with the body all the time. Transformation isn't entirely simple, but feels kinda boring. Bot mode is keen, has good articulation and the nunchuck pipe weapons are cool. Head feels a little simplistic even for this line, but generally this is a decent fig.

I've been hearing a lot of love for Onslaught over Powerglide, and honestly I think that is some ridiculous noise. Onslaught's bot mode is heavily lacking in detail, it's an ok set but it's a tad flawed. Powerglide pretty much rules.

figrin bran
08-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Chaddy, I've only seen 1 Grimlock (which I bought) and that was at a WM. I've seen plenty of Lugnuts though and so I've missed out on Grimlock time and time again.

JT, I'm disappointed that you aren't trashing TFA Soundwave even more! Laserbeak's eyes aren't even painted for crying out loud!

El Chuxter
08-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I've seen several Grimlocks, but haven't been paying especially close attention. All have been at Targets in SoCal and Vegas.

JetsAndHeels
08-11-2008, 10:44 AM
I picked up the Animated Jazz on Saturday night. I think it is a very cool figure. The colors caught my eye initially, but after I had opened it I liked it even more.

To me, the difference between this Jazz and movie Jazz is incredible. This one transforms alot easier (at least for me), and it looks more "comfortable" in Robot mode.

figrin bran
08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Also, Animated Jazz has hands, at least. Not just little cat paws like Movie Jazz.

I'm still on the hunt for Galvatron. Those Universe deluxes don't seem to move as quickly as the Animated deluxes as I'm seeing tons of Sunstreakers, Prowls and Tankors at all of my local stores.

Tycho
08-16-2008, 03:23 PM
I got Powerglide at Target this morning. Wow! I am really thrilled with my purchase. He's an A-10 Thunderbolt to start with. The electronics are really fun. His transformation is really cool. His figure articulation is great.

I was just afraid I'd break him on that one wing joint rotation. They were a bit stiff and I just wasn't sure they were meant to be turned, but I decided to risk it, as there was a stop-notch on each side there, so it LOOKED like it should be turned - and I was right (else his shoulders would be way too low to look right at all).

But this is a great toy.

I am tempted to also get Universe Onslaught, Sunstreaker, and Prowl. Hopefully I'll resist. I don't need to expand my toy collection. With Transformers, I'll have 2009 and the new movie to do that anyway, where I hope to finally purchase my movie-version Leader Class Starscream.

Meanwhile, the Animated tempt me as well: BumbleBee, Leader Class Megatron, Voyager Starscream, Jazz, Soundwave, maybe a few others. I like that military truck, whoever it is.

Anyway, I also hope I can resist buying these. SPACE man! I'm going to run out of space. LESS IS MORE in terms of toys. Regardless of what may come out, the stuff you already have is very cool (to everyone) when it is the only stuff there is to look at! I will appreciate going to some other friends' homes to look at the best from their collections.

figrin bran
08-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Congratulations on joining the Powerglide Owners club, Tycho! :thumbsup:

I don't plan on buying any of the ROTF TF's so I don't feel bad about loading up on Animated and Universe. If Omega Supreme is released as a Supreme Class animated as rumored, I'm definitely getting one.

Tycho
08-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Congratulations on joining the Powerglide Owners club, Tycho! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I've played with him a lot today. It must have been a good purchase.

I don't plan on buying any of the ROTF TF's

Sure you won't. :rolleyes: That movie's going to be Michael-Bay-Awesome!

Then you'll want some.

figrin bran
08-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Sure you won't. :rolleyes: That movie's going to be Michael-Bay-Awesome!

Then you'll want some.

No, because I'll be thinking about how many regretful purchases I made with last year's movie line. The only 3 I should have bought were Leader class Optimus and Brawl and Concept Bumblebee.

RUSHBOY
08-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Anyone getting the TFU Acid storm ? When I saw it at TRU I just had to have it !! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Tycho, I think Onslaught probably should be a purchase for you, the thing is big enough that it's probably in scale to your precious Alternators. The bot mode is a bit simplistic in sculpted details, but it mostly delivers. Sunstreaker rules though, love that sucker!

No, because I'll be thinking about how many regretful purchases I made with last year's movie line. The only 3 I should have bought were Leader class Optimus and Brawl and Concept Bumblebee.Which ones do you regret? I actually found that line paid off better than I expected, I passed on plenty but I only regret getting Swindle, the 2 Protoforms, Dlx Brawl (and only due to his breakage issues, I actually liked the figure somewhat), Dreadwing, Ratchet, maybe Payload a little, and Stockade.

Anyone getting the TFU Acid storm ? When I saw it at TRU I just had to have it !! :thumbsup:I didn't buy him when I first saw him, I don't really "get" what they were going for, and I hate the name. But a buddy of mine asked me to get it for him and I owe him that much moolah anyway, so next time I see one I am getting it to mail off.

El Chuxter
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Here's possibly a dumb question:

About half of the larger (Deluxe-Class? Voyager-Class? Enterprise-Class?) figures are totally new and have no analogue in G1, right?

I can't figure out where characters like that Heavy Load or whatever come from.

I'm likely passing on Acid Storm. Dumb name, made-up character (not that they're not all made-up, but I'm limiting myself to true G1 remakes), and a really doofy paint scheme. I'd rather they mass-release the missing three Seekers. I might at least consider Sunstorm if they were to make him.

JetsAndHeels
08-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I think I am going to try to find a Powerglide...the reviews on it seem to be very solid and from the pics I have seen it is a cool looking toy.

Now that you own one Tycho, do you recommend it?

Tycho
08-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Now that you own one Tycho, do you recommend it?

Most definitely! I don't buy a lot of toys anymore - especially non-Star Wars.

So being THAT selective, I'd still say "get Powerglide" for sure.

JetsAndHeels
08-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Most definitely! I don't buy a lot of toys anymore - especially non-Star Wars.

So being THAT selective, I'd still say "get Powerglide" for sure.

Thanks bro!!

JediTricks
08-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Here's possibly a dumb question:

About half of the larger (Deluxe-Class? Voyager-Class? Enterprise-Class?) figures are totally new and have no analogue in G1, right?

I can't figure out where characters like that Heavy Load or whatever come from.

I'm likely passing on Acid Storm. Dumb name, made-up character (not that they're not all made-up, but I'm limiting myself to true G1 remakes), and a really doofy paint scheme. I'd rather they mass-release the missing three Seekers. I might at least consider Sunstorm if they were to make him.Just use pricepoints by price next time. Anyway, some are taken from later names, some are homages to concepts rather than specific characters, some are new names made up because they couldn't use the originals. In this case, Heavy Load was a dump truck from the build team in the RID line from 2001 (this despite the current repaint not being a dump truck).

Acid Storm is a stupid name, but the character isn't made up exactly, he's based on a specific grunt used in the cartoon that was later named through the fans' interpretation of that episode's dialog: http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Acid_Storm (and I find that whole thing incredibly stupid).

RUSHBOY
08-18-2008, 11:40 PM
I wish they would sell the cartoons on DVD again, it would be nice to watch them again !! Same thing goes for the G I Joe cartoons, would be cool to have a G I Joe the complete series DVD set !!
:laugh:

Adam
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I like Deluxe Armada Prime, but AGAIN? Come on Hasbro!

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/187519-transformers-universe-sandstorm-whirl-deluxe-armada-optimus-prime-redeco.html

JediTricks
08-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, they really went the distance from the original there. :rolleyes: I mean this in the most non-punny way possible, but that mold is past its prime.

Got out Cybertron Cybertron Defense Scattorshot today because we had been talking about him on my TF forums due to the repaint that just came out, I forgot how much fun this mold is, very boss. Granted, the transformation is a snore, but the rest is gold.

Adam
08-25-2008, 11:25 PM
For some reason I thought Treadbolt here was going to be a Decepticon but I guess not.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/transformers-universe-classics-20-treadbolt-in-package-165656/

figrin bran
08-26-2008, 02:42 AM
I found and bought Classics Galvatron today. Not great but not bad. But definitely underwhelming. I also saw an Arcee/Rumble Robot Heroes pack but the packaging was a bit thrashed and on the upper side of the bubble, there was a Maximal and Predacon insignia. I open them anyhow but I just had a bad feeling about that particular pack.

Chaddymac
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I got Galvatron and Acid Rain yesterday. I just love the seeker jet mold and the jungle camo is kinda cool. Reminds me of that harrier jet from the classic Gobots line. I don't remember his name - we always just called him "Leader-2" :)

I agree with you about Galvatron. I'm actually okay with his size, and he looks fine in both modes (especially tank mode) and he's actually reasonably solid in robot mode. But I have yet to successfully transform him without at least two pieces flying off. That said, I'm still waiting for a space cannon Galvatron. All the Galvatrons and Arcees we've gotten have yet to make up for what we did (and didn't) get during the original movie. Although, Armada Unicron was a good start.

JetsAndHeels
08-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I want that Galvatron. Hopefully I can pick him up sometime soon.

figrin bran
08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I want that Galvatron. Hopefully I can pick him up sometime soon.

When you do get him, just make sure you don't handle him too much as the shoulders and knees pop off very easily and it gets really annoying.

Tycho
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
They're Transformers. They're not meant to be transformed!

JetsAndHeels
08-26-2008, 06:44 PM
When you do get him, just make sure you don't handle him too much as the shoulders and knees pop off very easily and it gets really annoying.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-26-2008, 09:38 PM
For some reason I thought Treadbolt here was going to be a Decepticon but I guess not.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/transformers-universe-classics-20-treadbolt-in-package-165656/
Well, Tread Bolt is an Autobot name from G1 (a blue plane), recycled in Energon as "Treadbolt" for a repaint of crappy Scavenger, also an Autobot. But the dark colors and the fact that the last repaint this mold had was a Decepticon do open it towards evil.

I got Galvatron and Acid Rain yesterday. I just love the seeker jet mold and the jungle camo is kinda cool. Reminds me of that harrier jet from the classic Gobots line. I don't remember his name - we always just called him "Leader-2" :)Royal-T (http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/Guardians/Royal-T/royal-t.htm).

I agree with you about Galvatron. I'm actually okay with his size, and he looks fine in both modes (especially tank mode) and he's actually reasonably solid in robot mode. But I have yet to successfully transform him without at least two pieces flying off. That said, I'm still waiting for a space cannon Galvatron. All the Galvatrons and Arcees we've gotten have yet to make up for what we did (and didn't) get during the original movie. Although, Armada Unicron was a good start.The only part I have consistently come off is the left shoulder when transforming back to vehicle mode, but now I'm seeing a bunch of reports of the right arm turret coming off and knees and other issues. WTF?

Adam
08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Well, Tread Bolt is an Autobot name from G1 (a blue plane), recycled in Energon as "Treadbolt" for a repaint of crappy Scavenger, also an Autobot. But the dark colors and the fact that the last repaint this mold had was a Decepticon do open it towards evil.

Right. The color scheme was what I was going off of, and since Hasbro doesn't seem to mind what faction throw away characters like this and Heavy Load are, I just figured he was a 'con. Universe could use more of them if you ask me.

Chaddymac
08-27-2008, 12:45 AM
WTF indeed. I still kind of like him, though.

And my harrier was green, I thought...but that could be my faulty memory. I'll still call him Leader-2 :)

Adam
08-29-2008, 07:34 PM
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=10068

I find this set really weird.

Is anyone going to pick up the Titanium Prowl and Grimlock at TRU?

JetsAndHeels
08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=10068

I find this set really weird.

I find it very blah!! ugh.

I doubt I will get the TRU Prowl or Grimlock. I do not have a TRU less than an hour away, but if I am near one I will take a look.