PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

figrin bran
08-29-2008, 08:25 PM
I bought Animated activators Optimus today. I actually find that subline to be rather fun and they have great articulation for that size of toy. The price isn't that great so either I find them at WM or I don't buy them at all.

I saw a local scalper walk out with Acid Storm today...hahahaha sucker! That's almost as good as when 2 of the local scalpers were fighting over the Tankors.

Here's hoping J&H becomes a member of the Powerglide fan club :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Here's hoping J&H becomes a member of the Powerglide fan club :thumbsup:

I am sure I will. Perhaps we should mention our membership in our signatures? :)

figrin bran
08-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure which thread to discuss this in but have any of you picked up any of the Marvel TF's? I've been eyeing the Spidey and Iron Man ones for weeks now. I like that that Iron Man alt mode doesn't have too much undercarriage kibble unlike a great deal of regular TF's. However since they're 14.99 each, they're not real must buys for me.

El Chuxter
08-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Me, pick up another G1 Grimlock figure?

From the comic where he says, "Me, Grimlock. Bada**!!"

I dunno. Maybe. :D

JediTricks
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=10068

I find this set really weird.As do I, what a turd that set is! Screaming Yellow Zonkers with extraneous junk.

Is anyone going to pick up the Titanium Prowl and Grimlock at TRU?I have been hunting, but to no avail so far.

I'm not sure which thread to discuss this in but have any of you picked up any of the Marvel TF's? I've been eyeing the Spidey and Iron Man ones for weeks now. I like that that Iron Man alt mode doesn't have too much undercarriage kibble unlike a great deal of regular TF's. However since they're 14.99 each, they're not real must buys for me.I've been eyeballing the Hulk/Tank one, that tank looks cool. But at $15, I'm holding off as well. Didn't realize the IM/Jet had limited kibble, have to look at that again now.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I got Animated Leader Megs as a belated birthday gift, and I have to say, he's just $40 worth of awesome. As of now, he's my favorite from the animated line.

JetsAndHeels
08-31-2008, 11:19 AM
I got the $20 animated Megatron yesterday. Have not opened him yet, but will later today.

And I did open Powerglide Friday night. He is one bada$$ toy. Glad I got him.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-31-2008, 03:26 PM
I got the $20 animated Megatron yesterday. Have not opened him yet, but will later today.

And I did open Powerglide Friday night. He is one bada$$ toy. Glad I got him.

Voyager class Megs is ok, but he does have issues. His cannon for one is way too big. His upper body is too small compared to his cannon and legs, and I hate the way the cannon attaches to his arm. He's not completly terrible, but Leader Class Megs blows him away.

I havn't had alot of money, but I'll get Powerglide eventually. In fact, I don't have any of the new universe offerengs right now.

JetsAndHeels
08-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Voyager class Megs is ok, but he does have issues. His cannon for one is way too big. His upper body is too small compared to his cannon and legs, and I hate the way the cannon attaches to his arm. He's not completly terrible, but Leader Class Megs blows him away.

I opened the Voyager Megs earlier, and I agree with your points on him. That cannon is so darn bulky!! I hate that wrap-around piece on his right wrist...and I was also having trouble with his legs. Some of the parts were coming apart when I hardly applied any pressure at all.

I'm not having buyer's remorse for getting it, but I have definately seen some far superior pieces.

Adam
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Roadbuster Ultra Magnus(animated):

http://linearranger.com/tmp/TFRoadBusterUltraMagus01.PNG

It looks good too me. Might grow on me more.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-31-2008, 06:39 PM
I have not even seen the first version of Magnus in stores yet, and now I'm seeing pics of all the repaints.

Target is going to have a mostly yellow repaint of Ratchet coming out too.

Adam
08-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Ya, he is linked two pages ago.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-31-2008, 10:52 PM
That's what I get for taking time off.

Adam
09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Toy collecting is a full time hobby sir! No time off!

El Chuxter
09-01-2008, 01:31 AM
I've seen Acid Storm and Galvatron twice. Once at TRU, where they were overpriced, and once at WM. (I prefer not to buy any toys I don't expect to be HTF there, as they are Satan. However, if they get GIJoes, it's fair game. :D)

Surprisingly for someone who's passing on all the "Classics" that aren't G1 characters, I liked the look of Acid Storm enough to seriously consider him. The paint scheme is nice, there were a lot of generic Seekers in the cartoon, and, well, it'll sorta cover up the fact I can't take out another mortgage to get Thrust, Dirge, and Thundercracker.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Toy collecting is a full time hobby sir! No time off!

I meant time off from the forums, not collecting, my good man.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2008, 08:46 AM
it'll sorta cover up the fact I can't take out another mortgage to get Thrust, Dirge, and Thundercracker.

The dumbest decsion they ever made was making those three exclusives.

Edit: Forgive the double post, I'm a bit rusty.

Adam
09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
But Chux, Acid Storm technically is from G1! Background generic seekers ftw!

Oh and another Deluxe/legends pack, this time a nifty "stealth" Lockdown:
http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18&p=48#p48

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I've seen the Stealth Lockdown pics. I'm actually looking forward to him more than I am Blazing Lockdown.

figrin bran
09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Animated Swoop, Sentinel Prime and Elite Guard Bumblebee have been found at WM's. Let the hunt begin anew!

I thought about buying Silverbolt today but put it back on the shelf.

El Chuxter
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I picked up Galvatron and Acid Storm today. (I consider Acid Storm to be somewhat EU, and somewhat canon. Kinda like Momaw Nadon, where he appeared, but someone else made up the name and backstory.)

For anyone who has Galvatron, what the hell do you do with his back? The instructions sucked badly (would it kill them to put words in there?), and the photo on the package was mis-transformed. I'm not sure if I got it right.

figrin bran
09-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Chux, I think that you rotate those two sections in the back so that the orange wheels face upwards. There are notches on both sections where they fit onto that back panel.

It'll be the day when the instructions are crystal clear!

Jedi_Kal-El
09-01-2008, 10:30 PM
It'll be the day when the instructions are crystal clear!

Sure, and unicorns will be spotted flying about. :D

I saw that the next wave of deluxe had been found too. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before they show up here.

El Chuxter
09-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Chux, I think that you rotate those two sections in the back so that the orange wheels face upwards. There are notches on both sections where they fit onto that back panel.

I guess I had it right, after all. I actually gave up on the instructions and wound up taking most of the parts apart, and reassembling him to look like the picture... then realizing the upper legs weren't rotated properly.

Adam
09-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I was planning on skipping Dropshot, but this gallery from seibertron.com has changed my mind, I'm starting to really dig his color scheme.

http://www.seibertron.com/toys/gallery.php?id=1572&size=0&start=0

JetsAndHeels
09-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I hate the instructions. They are too vague!!

I picked up Blackarachnia from the animated series yesterday. She is a pretty cool figure. Not as cool as animated Jazz, but still I like it.

El Chuxter
09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I have a box which I believe is the Powerglide that shipped from Hasbro last week.

Either that or they're sending me random large packages.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
I was planning on skipping Dropshot, but this gallery from seibertron.com has changed my mind, I'm starting to really dig his color scheme.

http://www.seibertron.com/toys/gallery.php?id=1572&size=0&start=0

He looks cool, but I still like Cybertron Defense Scattorshot better. I don't know, the fact that I have the complete Cybertron collection is holding me back from all the repaints. The Irony to that, is when the first universe line was out, I kept wishing they'd use better character molds than they were.

JediTricks
09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I've seen Acid Storm and Galvatron twice. Once at TRU, where they were overpriced, and once at WM. (I prefer not to buy any toys I don't expect to be HTF there, as they are Satan. However, if they get GIJoes, it's fair game. :D)Dude, it's a buck, and it's going to the retailer that is keeping the toy industry from completely collapsing, and it saves you spending gas money. I don't know why I am ok with $10 TF figures being a buck more at TRU but not $7 Star Wars, it's weird. :p

Oh and another Deluxe/legends pack, this time a nifty "stealth" Lockdown:
http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18&p=48#p48Ugh, I kinda want that but I so don't want to spend the extra money for those Legends turkeys. Oh, wait, I hadn't seen the problem with the toes being opaque, that totally kills it for me, alt mode needs to be all clear! Here's the official Hasbro pics: http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/animated-decepticons-191/lockdown-stealth-with-bumblebee-legends-and-optimus-prime-legends-1939/

I thought about buying Silverbolt today but put it back on the shelf.Good choice, I still think they owe fans an apology for that one, no way should any of us buy it. At $25, there's no excuse for that, it's not like the more disposable $10 pricepoint where they can do something like Tankorctane and get away with it.

For anyone who has Galvatron, what the hell do you do with his back? The instructions sucked badly (would it kill them to put words in there?), and the photo on the package was mis-transformed. I'm not sure if I got it right.Technically, you pitch the "feet" upwards and lock the halves onto the square pegs on the back, this locks them down to a degree. But this gets in the way of the right shoulder, so I fold the panel down and rotate the treads around so they face up, it's floppy but it has full clearance on the right arm.

I picked up Galvatron and Acid Storm today. (I consider Acid Storm to be somewhat EU, and somewhat canon. Kinda like Momaw Nadon, where he appeared, but someone else made up the name and backstory.)And yet I bet you don't think of Lobot that way, despite his name being Kenner and his backstory coming even later. :p

http://www.seibertron.com/toys/gallery.php?id=1572&size=0&start=0I love this mold from the original use, but this recolor is a tad lemony for me (I've seen different pics where it looks that way). If they do a darker, more Decepticon colorscheme, or a more realistic one, I'll probably buy it, but this lemon and maroon desert thing is not my cup of tea.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I don't know why I am ok with $10 TF figures being a buck more at TRU but not $7 Star Wars, it's weird. :p

That issue for me boils down to a Transformer generaly being a bit bigger than your average SW fig, plus most times you get a bit more bang for your buck with TF.

El Chuxter
09-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Lobot was actually named in ESB. Every time two Bespin residents are onscreen, if you turn it way up, you can hear one ask the other, "Dude, where is that pimp, Lobot?"

If TRU with its carpy selection and high prices are keeping toys alive, then they've actually been dead for years. I wouldn't mind paying $1 more, if I actually knew I could get stuff there. I just happened to see Galvatron and Acid Storm while with my parents, looking for baby gifts, and figured they'd be at Target later (and cheaper), since none of these TF Universe Deluxe figures have been hard to find (though I hear some say Grimlock was, I never saw that).

Jedi_Kal-El
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
While my TRU pretty much blows when it comes to SW or GI Joe selection, it's TF section is usually well stocked, and usually with the latest items for the most part. They've had pretty much all of the Animated product before the others, and have kept new stock circulating.(yes this is TRU I'm talking about STG)

JediTricks
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
That issue for me boils down to a Transformer generaly being a bit bigger than your average SW fig, plus most times you get a bit more bang for your buck with TF.Yeah, that's really it. Transformer deluxes have been $10 for over 15 years and have earned that pricepoint, while Star Wars was hovering around $5 for a long time, even in 2005 for a minute, and doesn't seem to be product worth an extra buck or so.

El Chuxter
09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
The killer is GIJoe, which is owned by Hasbro, and, without any changes in styling (and, in fact, more re-used molds and parts as time goes on) have increased from $4.99 to as much as $7.99 in under 18 months.

Jedi_Kal-El
09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
That's pretty much the same with the SW figs. I mean anymore they add at least 2 to 3 repaint/repack waves of figs that were $5 a few years ago, yet now they're asking 7 to 8 bucks for. At least when they've done that with TF the price has stayed the same.

Adam
09-10-2008, 12:42 AM
I picked up Fracture and Breakaway of the newly released wave two Wal-Mart exclusive "movie" deluxe repaints. These were supposed to be Universe releases, but Wally wanted them in movie packaging. It's interesting to note that while both of these are homages, neither of the names could be used.

Fracture is a repaint of Classics Mirage, and resembles the Gobot Crasher (http://tfu.info/Gobots/Renegades/BlackCrasher/crasher.htm). This figure originated on the Allspark forums. The concept was proposed by a forumer, and Hasbro designer Joe Kyde (who posts there) did a digi-color of Mirage. Two years later, she is released in a color scheme very close to Kyde's original. I do notice that the red around the seat that becomes part of the back in 'bot mode doesn't match the red on the legs too well. Not terrible, but noticeable. The Mirage mold is great, and this color scheme is great on it. You should buy her. Yes. You.

Breakaway utilizes the Cybertron Hot Shot/Exillion mold and is painted after G1 Getaway (http://tfu.info/1988/Autobot/Getaway/getaway.htm). The molde choice is pretty appropriate, and the paint apps help the vehicle and robot mode match the original enough.

There was a third toy in this wave that I didn't buy, Crankcase - a Cybertron Red Alert painted to resemble micromaster Crankcase (http://tfu.info/1988/Decepticon/Crankcase/crankcase.htm). (The only one that got to keep his name.)

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=9906&pic=DSCF3546.JPG&dispsize=800&start=20

Adam
09-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I read on another board that apparently Fracture has an alignment problem on the front end in vehicle mode. Mine sure does, and it prevents its from rolling smoothly in vehicle mode. Bummer.

JediTricks
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
An alignment prob, like how? This mold was smooth the first time around, surprised to hear there's a problem now.

Tycho
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Transformers 2 movie spoilers (impact on the toys which will no doubt be in stores a month before the movie debuts anyway):

It looks like Tracks (Trax) and the combiner Devastator (made out of 7 construction vehicles) might be in the next movie. This might be cool. It might be Power Rangers.

jedi master sal
09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Wait, so which ones are from the newest movie wave? I picked up three (FRACTURE, BREAKAWAY, and CRANKCASE) on Wednesday, all WM exclusives, plus I found a Grindcore. I passed him up the first time, but not now.

I wasn't going to get these, but I thought they looked darn cool, especially Fracture. I had no clue this was a fembot...l.o.l.

jedi master sal
09-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Transformers 2 movie spoilers (impact on the toys which will no doubt be in stores a month before the movie debuts anyway):

It looks like Tracks (Trax) and the combiner Devastator (made out of 7 construction vehicles) might be in the next movie. This might be cool. It might be Power Rangers.

Hmm, I think you mean Long Haul... See here!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_G96gxvrHqrE/SMhXYc30tII/AAAAAAAADEU/a6dnw6guZ7I/s1600-h/LongHaul3D.jpg

This is awesome. I can't wait to get a buildable bot, so long as it's HUGE!

El Chuxter
09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Tycho, I think it was confirmed about the seven-robot Devastator. One is Long Haul, but Bonecrusher is apparently not one of the others. Given that there were six original Constructicons, and one was taken away, but there are seven in the movie, I expect Michael Bay will say the other two are called Kup and Unicron.

It's also confirmed that I won't even be bothering with this cinematic abortion even on cable.

Ji'dai
09-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to find that local WMs have rolled back prices on TF Animated and Universe deluxe to $7.77 (from $9.96). I picked up Animated Jazz, Prowl, and Oil Slick this afternoon, having had my eye on them for some time now. Great price, I think.

Thought about getting Animated Bumblebee but I'm leaning toward getting that WM exclusive three-pack set that includes that version. Also spotted Animated Swoop, Sentinel Prime, and Elite Guard Bumblebee too but passed.

Had TFU Sunstreaker and Prowl in my hand tonight as well but put them back.

JetsAndHeels
09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Early this morning (around 12:30am) I rolled into our local Wal-Mart and they had a ton of transformers stuff. Pallets full of the movie toys (I went ahead and got a premier edition Ironhide), pallets full of the Bumblebee 3 pack, and an entire endcap of the new animated figs. Plus on the clearance aisle they had the robot heroes marked down to $5 each.

I was searching for Galvatron, but was pleasantly surprised to see all the other stuff, and I could not pass up on Ironhide.

El Chuxter
09-13-2008, 01:21 AM
I was going to mention WM's price drop, too. I had to pick up Duke/Red Star from the Joe line and almost carped my pants when I saw these guys were about $2 less than I paid for them.

Of course, WM is evil, so I'm not going to bother taking anything back and re-buying them to save $2.

Chaddymac
09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Any of you people with the Wally World sightings from the west coast?

Tycho
09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Tycho, I think it was confirmed about the seven-robot Devastator. One is Long Haul, but Bonecrusher is apparently not one of the others. Given that there were six original Constructicons, and one was taken away, but there are seven in the movie, I expect Michael Bay will say the other two are called Kup and Unicron.

It's also confirmed that I won't even be bothering with this cinematic abortion even on cable.

Michael Bay left some bad blunders in his wake in terms of the Constructicons.

"The tank" was supposed to be renamed "Brawl" for the movie - as he was only named in an English subtitle script when Starscream called all the Decepticons to mobilize. But while Bay once said the DVD would be corrected, it was not, and the tank was still called Devastator. So what? In the movie continuity, are they going to put "the tank's brain" in a flash drive to download into the joined combiner? The Combaticons had a tank named Brawl - and that could've remained the same, even if Bruticus couldn't be done for the films (Blastoff's size would be a huge problem for the transformation anyway. Swindle's too I guess - for exactly the opposite reason).

Then BoneCrusher was the Constructicon bulldozer. But in Michael Bay's movie, he was a mine-sweeping vehicle that Optimus Prime seemed to permanently deactivate.

Now what is Michael Bay going to do to correct any of this? Probably nothing. I don't think he cares. He didn't want to make the first movie. Then when it turned into his biggest box office success ever, he suddenly loved being the man behind this franchise.

But the franchise is not respecting its roots. As much as I rave about finally having big transforming robots on the movie screen like I always wanted since I was a kid - everything is a lot less than perfect.

Some clever writing and a completist's reboot of the continuity for a new movie-continuity could correct things (for the movies - but not by G1 standards) but I'm not holding my breath.

Chaddymac
09-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Since when?!?! Aren't you the same Tycho begging Hasbro for a Michael Bay figure to add to your dioramas and to worship?

Tycho
09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Since when?!?! Aren't you the same Tycho begging Hasbro for a Michael Bay figure to add to your dioramas and to worship?

Yes. To his credit, the awesome Michael Bay ACTUALLY MADE an awesome Transformers live-action film - something I've always wanted. And he at least listened to the fans beg and plead for the awesome Peter Cullen to star in the film as a totally awesome Optimus Prime.

For that, I am grateful to the Awesome Mr. Bay.

Now, does he really need me to straighten some things out? Yup. Sure does. But I am also awesome!

I can help him. Yes I can. :yes:

We'll have to make a few changes to keep continuity with the errors he already made.

Since Devastator has appeared in the film as the tank, I will have the Constructicons merge to form a new combiner I call "Corrector." Maybe, I'll make it more Decepticon-sounding by spelling it Core-Wrecktor! Yeah. That would be awesome.

The bulldozer should stay a part of it, but since BoneCrusher was used as a mine-sweeping vehicle, I would name the new bulldozer Constructicon "Retraction!" or in Decepti-spelling (and considering a bulldozer's treads) "ReTracktion." That would also be awesome.

So now with my semi-new characters of Core-Wrecktor and ReTracktion, I'd almost be all set.

Jazz would not be coming back from the dead, for sure.

And now, I have to take some time to figure out how the heck I would explain the AllSpark with what's been done in the first movie.

Ah - OK. Organic life was dying on some planet, but they were so advanced, they built a replacement planet (called Cybertron) and found a way to transfer their life-energies into nearly immortal machines. But they had to feed on the power generated by a captured quantum singularity that their scientists contained in the device called the AllSpark. Only metaphorically does it give life (well originally - the Dewbot just presented a problem). So some of what comes next - Megatron trying to hoard control over the AllSpark and it being lost into space can still hold true. Maybe the thing's AI gained sentience and it can then pass that on to Mountain Dew soda machines?

I don't know. But Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orcci should be checked for brain damage!

El Chuxter
09-14-2008, 01:28 AM
If they weren't laughed out of Hollywood after writing Catwoman, their careers are (sadly) safe.

Which means screenplays are not safe.

JetsAndHeels
09-14-2008, 12:37 PM
I finally found Galvatron last night. Yee-ha!!

Oh yeah, and I returned that Ironhide I bought. It is a total POS.

Adam
09-14-2008, 01:04 PM
An alignment prob, like how? This mold was smooth the first time around, surprised to hear there's a problem now.

There were similar problems with Mirage from what I read, but it was isolated. The "nose cone" doesn't fit into the wheel part that becomes the backback in robot mode.

Adam
09-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Wait, so which ones are from the newest movie wave? I picked up three (FRACTURE, BREAKAWAY, and CRANKCASE) on Wednesday, all WM exclusives

Those three are the newest from Wal-Mart's exclusive "off-screen" line.

crazydave75
09-14-2008, 01:18 PM
does anyone know where i can get the revoltech garage kits of shockwave and ultramagnus?

Chaddymac
09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
If they weren't laughed out of Hollywood after writing Catwoman, their careers are (sadly) safe.

Which means screenplays are not safe.
As someone who's been doing the Hollywood thing for a while, I'd like to say that the success and failure of a project is a group effort. There are always a lot of hands in the fire and I'm surprised more by the successes then when someone gets burned. As for Alex and Berto (who may very well be one of my favorite people on Earth) I never read their Catwoman draft, but I know that a LOT of people wrote on that movie, even though they didn't all get credit. But their original draft of THE ISLAND was fantastic, their work on TRANSFORMERS was pretty good, and FRINGE is one of the best written pilots I've ever had the pleasure of working on. Plus, I hear Star Trek is great. So, at the risk of coming off as too passionate, I'm glad they weren't laughed out of Hollywood.

Adam
09-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Check out this gallery for the city commander upgrade set for Classics Ultra Magnus. I pre-ordered this last week, and it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/classics/ultra-magnus/1585/

Adam
09-14-2008, 07:54 PM
'member that Armada Deluxe Prime repaint that popped up on ebay? Turns out its not a single carded release, but part of a bizzare five pack of the other Armada deluxes that were released in Cybertron. The other four seem to have no changes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=9761

JetsAndHeels
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
That Ultra Magnus looks pretty darn sweet.

All of the Wal-Marts must be unloading their TF's stuff. I went into another store earlier this evening after watching the game and they had a bunch of pallets of the toys. I actually found the 1st versions of brawl and bonecrusher from the movie line, so I picked them up for $7.77 each.

JediTricks
09-15-2008, 04:21 PM
You get the feeling that TF doesn't know what the hell it's doing right now, and it's kinda spinning out of control with these weird box sets and rehashes and release schedules?

figrin bran
09-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I just ordered Animated Swoop and Sentinel Prime from HTS. They're listed as "in stock" so hopefully I actually receive my order and it doesn't get cancelled as has been the case with many SW collectors' orders lately.

For anyone ordering TF's from them, use "TF2009" to save 10%

Tycho
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
I saw the Animated Swoop in Target the other day. He looked pretty cool.

If I didn't have too many toys already, I'd probably collect a lot of the animated line.

There's some nice stuff. Leader Class Megatron and Voyager Starscream are still the most tempting for me in the animated. Although I really like Jazz.

figrin bran
09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
I just got shipping notice from HTS for Swoop and Sentinel. I'm shocked that they're actually "in stock" and coming out to me so soon. No backorders, no order cancellations, what's going on HTS? :razz:

With my luck though, I'll probably find both at retail this weekend. However, they've been slow to restock on TFA deluxes lately and I got tired of seeing the same old Oil Slicks at my local stores.

Chaddymac
09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I REALLY want to order them from HTS, but can't get the AAA discount to work. And, call me cheap (because I am) but the only way I WON'T feel bad if I see them in stores this weekend is if I get free shipping. And the %15 discount always JUST covers the shipping charge. But then again, you probably read about me complaining in the LA Just Found Thread, so I'll shuttup now.

Anyone collecting the Joe DVD gift sets? I'm trying to decide if they're as cool as they seem - they keep catching my eye when I go to TRU.

El Chuxter
09-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Four figures (or three figures and a Weather Dominator), a (roughly) 100-minute DVD of classic 'toons, and a MASS Device component for $20? They're the best bargain Hasbro has released in ages.

Plus, they're the only way to get Diver Baroness, classic Serpentor, Dusty, Alpine, Quick-Kick, and a Lady Jaye that doesn't suck.

Chaddymac
09-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Damn. Where can I go to look at the other sets? I am SO not a Joe guy, at least not since 92.

El Chuxter
09-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Only two are out now. The other three will be forthcoming later this year.

JediTricks
09-18-2008, 04:45 PM
The AAA discount isn't working for me either, and without it, I'm not ordering anything from HTS unless I can save on shipping.

Chaddymac
09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
The AAA discount isn't working for me either, and without it, I'm not ordering anything from HTS unless I can save on shipping.
Here-here!

Back to GI Joe - are there images of the upcoming sets?

Adam
09-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Er.. anyways back to TF stuff. :P

I think these originally showed up on tfw2005 but I'm having trouble accessing that site so here we go. First looks at Ultra Bruticus (a RiD reference *gasp*) and Voyager Vector Prime. And some new robot heroes I think. Inferno looks better preportioned in this shot as well.

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=10184

figrin bran
09-20-2008, 01:26 AM
I definitely want Inferno, Hound, Cyclonus and animated Blurr. Cheetor is quite disappointing though and I might just stick with my BW Cheetors.

Adam
09-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I can wait to pass judgement on Cheetor since he is mistransformed.

figrin bran
09-22-2008, 09:33 PM
HTS delivered my Animated Swoop and Sentinel Prime today, just a little under a week since I placed the order for them.

I'm pleased with both of them though Sentinel's shoulders are hampered by limited articulation.

JediTricks
09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
I started a thread in this forum for Hasbro Transformers questions, as they have a bi-monthly Q&A going: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=38950

Blurr and Swindle look really cool, Inferno looks good, Hound looks good, Cyclonus doesn't look too shabby, but poor poor Cheetor. Oh man.

Adam
09-22-2008, 11:57 PM
JT I was kinda wondering, and maybe you can answer this.. the news post on TFW about the Q&A seems to imply that only certain sites will be able to submit questions. It says: "TFW2005.COM has been selected to send in questions..." and I haven't seen any other tf news site mention the Q&A on their front pages.. so whats the deal?

Also, it seems that Hasbrotoyshop will be getting some exclusives and I can say that I am skipping the three revealed, theres supposedly another Mirage repaint in the bunch.

SE01-Optimus Prime (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=500&ID=22908)
SE02-Megatron (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=500&ID=22909)
SE04-Overkill (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=500&ID=22907)

Prime seems unchanged, and I hear that mold sucks so no go there. Megatron looks cool color wise, but I don't like the way that mold looks. Overkill.. bleh.

Some non-photoshopped shots of Inferno and Vector Prime in and out of package have shown up as well. I gotta say, Inferno looks better that the PSed pics, and VP looks decidedly worse.

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=10197&dispsize=800&start=0

Tycho
09-23-2008, 01:58 AM
I want a Voyager Class Wheelie with flames painted on his sides. And maybe electronics with some his phrases from the 1986 movie.

Adam
09-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Pics of SE03 - Dragstrip (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/destro_prime/speceddragstrip.jpg)

Yay more combiner characters who don't combine..

JediTricks
09-25-2008, 05:23 PM
JT I was kinda wondering, and maybe you can answer this.. the news post on TFW about the Q&A seems to imply that only certain sites will be able to submit questions. It says: "TFW2005.COM has been selected to send in questions..." and I haven't seen any other tf news site mention the Q&A on their front pages.. so whats the deal?They are being selective in who they are sending invites to, but I'm not sure yet how selective they are in allowing participation. I am actually working on that front right now for my personal TF site, and haven't heard back yet. But ActionFigs.com was invited, which is why I posted the thread for the questions here, and am running that (for now, we'll see how I do).

Also, it seems that Hasbrotoyshop will be getting some exclusives and I can say that I am skipping the three revealed, theres supposedly another Mirage repaint in the bunch.

SE01-Optimus Prime (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=500&ID=22908)
SE02-Megatron (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=500&ID=22909)
SE04-Overkill (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=500&ID=22907)

Prime seems unchanged, and I hear that mold sucks so no go there. Megatron looks cool color wise, but I don't like the way that mold looks. Overkill.. bleh.Optimus is a sucky mold, but there is a LITTLE more paint there. Megatron looks a'ight in his G1 colors, but it doesn't look like $16 a'ight, and the alt mode seems to be extra plain now. Overkill is downright painful. The Mirage repaint is Dragstrip:
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=695&ID=22928

Unimpressive but not horrendous.

Some non-photoshopped shots of Inferno and Vector Prime in and out of package have shown up as well. I gotta say, Inferno looks better that the PSed pics, and VP looks decidedly worse.

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=10197&dispsize=800&start=0Man, you are not kidding on either front.

Adam
09-30-2008, 08:59 PM
TFU Deluxe wave 3 (Ironhide, Silverstreak, Sideswipe) were found in the US today. LET THE HUNT BEGIN ANEW!

figrin bran
10-03-2008, 01:54 AM
HTS has Sideswipe, Bluestreak and Ironhide in stock! Use TF2009 to save 10%.

Chaddymac
10-03-2008, 02:24 PM
By the way, I spoke to HTS and AAA about the discount and AAA said that HTS is updating their server, so the link is broken and the discount won't work. If you go to AAA now, you'll notice it NOW says that the discount is temporarily unavailable.

Oh, sure. You're welcome. Any time ;)

JediTricks
10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Woo, way to go. Way to... aww, that's not what we wanted. :p

Make sure to post in the TF Q&A thread in this forum, questions will be put together and sent in on Sunday night.

BTW, I launched my TF site's news section, it's a start: www.TFviews.com (http://www.TFviews.com)

figrin bran
10-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I got TFU Sideswipe and Ironhide from WM for 7.77 along with Animated Blitzwing.

I like Sideswipe a bit better than Sunstreaker actually. Ironhide, I'm slightly disappointed in. First off, alt mode has far too many seam lines, especially in the windows. Bot mode is okay but there's not much to change my ever growing opinion that Universe isn't everything that it should be.

Adam
10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
HTS has Sideswipe, Bluestreak and Ironhide in stock! Use TF2009 to save 10%.

OR you can use "Fall20" for 20% off and free shipping. (good till the 13th) It doesn't work on all items but it did for the Ironhide I ordered.

I've been playing catch up the last few weeks and have picked up: TFU's Powerglide, Silverbolt, Onslaught, Galvatron, Acid Storm, Sideswipe, and Bluestreak. I also got a Crossover's Green Hulk. I painted his head with some more black, and will be getting some reprolabel faction stickers at some point and will slap a Decepticon symbol on him. Oh and I also got the City Commander upgrade set for Classics Ultra Magnus. It's really, really cool. :)

El Chuxter
10-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Figgy, this is the first G1 Ironhide who has a head. I don't care if he turns into a lump of doodoo, I want him. :mabs:

Chaddymac
10-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Oh and I also got the City Commander upgrade set for Classics Ultra Magnus. It's really, really cool. :)
How did you get the City Commander set already? Trade show? I'm still waiting for mine to ship from BBTS.

Adam
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Laftoys.com got them in already.

figrin bran
10-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Figgy, this is the first G1 Ironhide who has a head. I don't care if he turns into a lump of doodoo, I want him. :mabs:

Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you! When Animated Ironhide comes out, it's going to blow the Universe version out of the water. :p

El Chuxter
10-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I got the Universe version yesterday, and my only complaint is that hella weird weapon he has.

Adam
10-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Couple of new galleries for voyager Inferno.
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=10291&dispsize=600&start=0

This one gives you a size comparison with Nemesis Prime (Classics Optimus):
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-images-of-transformers-universe-generation-2-voyager-inferno-165968/

The transformation actually seems remenicient of Energon Inferno.

JediTricks
10-09-2008, 04:16 AM
The more I see of this one, the more I fear it's going to underwhelm. There's something simplistic about the more recent shots.

BTW, finally found SWTF Grievous Starfighter today (Target) and bought it. Way too much shellmaster, but a few good ideas buried in there too.

Tycho
10-12-2008, 04:25 AM
I saw the Star Wars Transformers TIE Bomber / TIE Pilot today.

It was kind of cool. I wonder if they used parts of the Vader TIE Transformer for it though?

Anyway, I don't buy these, but I look.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
None, the TIE Bomber is a totally different design. The wings on the Vader one are different (well, one of them anyway, it turns into a cape, a very pitiful cape).

Anyway, our first Q&A is up, all 5 questions got answered:
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=2471

Also, my own TF site got answers too:
http://www.tfviews.com/news/main/hasbro-q-and-a/128

So far, no other site has put up their Q&As yet that I know of.

Adam
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
With Classics/Universe going on hiatus again, it looks like I'll have more money for Star Wars and Gundam models next summer. :sleeping:

figrin bran
10-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd rather have an Ultra class Galvatron than Onslaught...argh.

I bought Silverstreak from WM yesterday at the unbeatable 7.77 price. All the paint app issues I harped on with Universe Prowl, have for the most part been rectified with Silverstreak. This is actually one of the better Universe deluxes out there right now along with Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.

I still haven't seen Animated Swoop or Sentinel Prime at retail. I got mine from HTS and that was weeks ago.

El Chuxter
10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Awesome.

I don't see why every home doesn't have one.

Dark Marble
10-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I know! Grimlock was one of my favorite toys when I was a kid. I got him for my birthday and waited a month hoping that I would find him when my birthday finally rolled around. I had him for years and really can't remember what happened to him...

The price on this looks to be a bit much but I will probably be looking to pick up this one just for the memories! :love:

figrin bran
10-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Universe Cheetor is up for preorder on HTS. However, since it's due to ship in late Dec., it's best to just hold off because 1) HTS might cancel your preorder and 2) He'll probably show up at retail first and if we're lucky, Walmart will still have their Deluxes on sale for 7.77.

JT, when are you going to get TFU Ironhide? I'm waiting on your potentially scathing review of it!

Chaddymac
10-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I can give you mine - He barely fits together in either mode, the blue on his face is lame, and his weapon doesn't work nearly as well as I'm sure they imagined it would.

That said, Silverstreak improves on Prowl (his head no longer looks downward at an odd angle and the painted rocket launchers are a nice addition) and Sideswipe has an awesome pearly finish to the plastic and is just generally awesome. Also, Animated Swoop is a really cool figure. I was surprised by how a deceptively simple little guy would have so much going for him.

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 02:46 PM
BW Dinobot, Armada Hot Shot, and Disneyized Mickey Prime all look very cool:

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergundam/article?mid=14962

I would have liked to see some semblance of Hot Shot's shoulder weapon given another chance though.

I love how they Disneyized the Optimus Prime truck w/ trailer mode, that looks spot on. A bit shellmastery, but I'll still get it.

I'd rather have an Ultra class Galvatron than Onslaught...argh. I said the same on my board and a couple of 'em jumped down my throat. Apparently the designer for Onslaught wanted him to be real big, though why he didn't design a better figure with more detail and complex transformation to get there is beyond me.

I still haven't seen Animated Swoop or Sentinel Prime at retail. I got mine from HTS and that was weeks ago.I saw Swoop at Culver City Target recently, but I don't care too much about the Animated Dinobots.

Awesome.

I don't see why every home doesn't have one.Because it's $140 and has a simplistic transformation and isn't out yet.

Why would anybody bother blurring out that site's url? It's still right there messing up the pic. Some sites can be so rude.

JT, when are you going to get TFU Ironhide? I'm waiting on your potentially scathing review of it!"Why don't you win the lottery too?" ;) You find him for me and I'll have him, I've been looking, he's hard to find despite the blue face being corrected soon and rather mixed reviews on all the sites out there.

I can give you mine - He barely fits together in either mode, the blue on his face is lame, and his weapon doesn't work nearly as well as I'm sure they imagined it would."Give" you say? ;) I don't pay full price for opened figures, it's one of my collecting rules. But if you're displeased, maybe we could work something out.

Geez, I'm sorry I passed on Silverstreak now, you guys are praising it to high heaven! I didn't like the Prowl mold that much, colors aside, so I figured why bother... now I'm regretting that. Of course, my opportunity was through HTS who hasn't gotten me half my friggin' order still.

El Chuxter
10-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Dissing a Masterpiece Grimlock, JT?

Man, every time I doubt you're a Doombot, you say something like that. I'm watching you. :mad:

Chaddymac
10-19-2008, 12:31 AM
BW Dinobot, Armada Hot Shot, and Disneyized Mickey Prime all look very cool:

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergundam/article?mid=14962

I would have liked to see some semblance of Hot Shot's shoulder weapon given another chance though.

I love how they Disneyized the Optimus Prime truck w/ trailer mode, that looks spot on. A bit shellmastery, but I'll still get it.

I said the same on my board and a couple of 'em jumped down my throat. Apparently the designer for Onslaught wanted him to be real big, though why he didn't design a better figure with more detail and complex transformation to get there is beyond me.

I saw Swoop at Culver City Target recently, but I don't care too much about the Animated Dinobots.

Because it's $140 and has a simplistic transformation and isn't out yet.

Why would anybody bother blurring out that site's url? It's still right there messing up the pic. Some sites can be so rude.

"Why don't you win the lottery too?" ;) You find him for me and I'll have him, I've been looking, he's hard to find despite the blue face being corrected soon and rather mixed reviews on all the sites out there.

"Give" you say? ;) I don't pay full price for opened figures, it's one of my collecting rules. But if you're displeased, maybe we could work something out.

Geez, I'm sorry I passed on Silverstreak now, you guys are praising it to high heaven! I didn't like the Prowl mold that much, colors aside, so I figured why bother... now I'm regretting that. Of course, my opportunity was through HTS who hasn't gotten me half my friggin' order still.
I meant I'd "give you" my review, not the figure. I may not love him, but I still paid for him :-)

El Chuxter
10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I got Silverbolt (with correct accessories), Blades, and Blaster yesterday.

Silverbolt is amazing. The transformation remains simple, but the figure is a masterpiece.

Can't say the same for Blaster, and I've not opened Blades. I think I might pass on all subsequent Universe figures that are existing molds repainted to look like G1 characters. Blaster is really quite disappointing.

figrin bran
10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Target has quite a few TF toys on sale this week

all deluxes for $8
Universe Voyagers for 17.99
Universe Ultras for 22.49

I got an Acid Storm and animated Oil Slick from them today.

JediTricks
10-20-2008, 05:01 PM
New Deluxe & Voyagers:
http://www.tfviews.com/news/toysandcollectibles/175

Samurai Prowl looks like the same bike plus a sidecar, but I'm pretty sure it's all new, there are a lot of little visual changes. My guess is it'll be smaller than the current version.

Waspy looks great, if simplistic.

Wreck-Gar looks keen, but like a deluxe oversized to be a Voyager.

Dinobot looks great in alt mode but a little simplistic in bot mode, and Smokescreen looks decent, I think I'll get that.

Dissing a Masterpiece Grimlock, JT?

Man, every time I doubt you're a Doombot, you say something like that. I'm watching you. :mad:Judge the toy for its own merits, not the merits of its name. Look at MP Megatron, it's skinny and weird in robot mode, $90? I don't think so.

I meant I'd "give you" my review, not the figure. I may not love him, but I still paid for him :-)How generous! ;) Be careful what you say in the future. :D

Silverbolt is amazing. The transformation remains simple, but the figure is a masterpiece.

Can't say the same for Blaster, and I've not opened Blades. I think I might pass on all subsequent Universe figures that are existing molds repainted to look like G1 characters. Blaster is really quite disappointing.What is good about Sbolt?

Blaster is a mold that was contentious to begin with, some folks dig it, others don't, but the general consensus when it was released is that it largely came up lacking.

Adam
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I can't believe they are releasing the Leobreaker/Ligerjack mold again. It's only ok as the kitty-arm for Cybertron Prime, its kinda cruddy by itself. AND they wasted money on a new head sculpt. If this Hasbro's attempt to homage Leo Convoy it's a pretty poor effort. Again, I'm shocked that CD Scattorshot is being used again, only half a year after the last one. At least he looks a little better than Drop Shot I guess.

Smokescreen looks off to me in robot mode, but that might be the photoshop.

Chaddymac
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I can't believe they are releasing the Leobreaker/Ligerjack mold again. It's only ok as the kitty-arm for Cybertron Prime, its kinda cruddy by itself. AND they wasted money on a new head sculpt. If this Hasbro's attempt to homage Leo Convoy it's a pretty poor effort. Again, I'm shocked that CD Scattorshot is being used again, only half a year after the last one. At least he looks a little better than Drop Shot I guess.

Smokescreen looks off to me in robot mode, but that might be the photoshop.
I think Smokey's roof/window piece is misplaced. Otherwise, he looks alright to me.

JediTricks
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
And what a new headsculpt, friggin' Prime as Leobreaker? STUPID! I honestly don't get why they'd release this one again, it is a piece of junk. And the coloring overall doesn't work for that mold, looks like the American Cat.

Yeah, CD Scattorshot is way overused now, too bad because a little of that mold goes a long way.

I think Smokey has a new head and the black grille changes the look a lot. Oh, and his hood is out of position in bot mode, too high up out of the groove.

El Chuxter
10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
What is good about Sbolt?

Pretty much his simplicity. He's well-articulated (not the best, but quite poseable), and a striking update of the original character. The transformation doesn't suffer for this, and his plane mode is nice--again, not the best in and of itself, but better than the original (who was one of the best of the time).

I like most that I could figure him out rather easily without the useless Hasbro instruction sheet (I've pretty much given up on using them, as they're more confusing than anything else), and could just switch him back and forth at any time. A lot like the classic Transformers. Some of the smaller Classics figures have been like this, but most of the larger ones are kinda a pain to convert.

figrin bran
10-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I guess I'll be getting Universe Dinobot and Smokescreen. It looks like D-bot still has belly kibble in dino mode, though at least it's not the rib cage grill that's on all the BW versions.

I'm more excited about the Animated offerings and definitely want Wreck-Gar and Waspinator - I still insist on calling him that even though it's just "Wasp" on the show. I guess Chaddy might be the only one who knows but we have not seen Waspinator in beast mode on the show, correct? And we've only seen his Cybertronian bot (maybe alt too, I forget) mode, correct?

I don't mind "simplicity" in the Animated line as that's part of the aesthetic but at least to me, it's not a great selling point in Universe. I've picked up Silverbolt on numerous occasions at the stores but have always put him back down.

El Chuxter
10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I just know that (not counting Acid Storm, who was a re-release of a sculpt I already had), I've given up on the instructions and referred to the picture on the package for at least four of the last six Universe figures I've bought. It's much worse with the larger-scale figures. It is a refreshing change to have a nice plane, follow a few simple steps, and have a nice robot.

Chaddymac
10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, we haven't seen Wasp's evolution into Waspinator yet. We've only seen his Cybertron mode, which is exactly like Bumblebee's cybertron mode, only green. I was hoping we'd get a Cybertron Wasp so we could recolor him as Bumblebee, but alas - twas not to be.

That's a great episode, btw ("Autoboot Camp" was the name, I believe).

JediTricks
10-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Pretty much his simplicity.To me, that's a giant negative.

He's well-articulated (not the best, but quite poseable), and a striking update of the original character. The transformation doesn't suffer for this, and his plane mode is nice--again, not the best in and of itself, but better than the original (who was one of the best of the time).How could his transformation suffer when he's a box under the plane? ;)

I like most that I could figure him out rather easily without the useless Hasbro instruction sheet (I've pretty much given up on using them, as they're more confusing than anything else), and could just switch him back and forth at any time. A lot like the classic Transformers. Some of the smaller Classics figures have been like this, but most of the larger ones are kinda a pain to convert.Hmm, seems like what you like about it is it's a little better than the oldschool one but not anything like the modern TF. To me, that's a drawback, so I will stay away from this one. Thanks for the 411 tho'.

I guess I'll be getting Universe Dinobot and Smokescreen. It looks like D-bot still has belly kibble in dino mode, though at least it's not the rib cage grill that's on all the BW versions.Yeah, I saw that kibble and thought "WTF?!?". Maybe those forearm claws are removable though.

Jedi_Kal-El
10-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Can't say the same for Blaster, and I've not opened Blades. I think I might pass on all subsequent Universe figures that are existing molds repainted to look like G1 characters. Blaster is really quite disappointing.

I'm not really interested in any of the Cybertron repaints becuase I have all the Cybertron figures. The irony there is when Universe came out the first time, I remember wishing they'd use some better molds. No that they have I don't want any of them.

figrin bran
10-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Animated Skywarp and Shockwave are listed as "in stock" at HTS. The "MDCREW" code will save you 20% though it does not include shipping.

Adam
10-23-2008, 01:28 AM
When I meant that Smokescreen looked off, I was referring to his colors. I think its the photoshopage going on, but something about it doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure the actual product will look fine.

Adam
10-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Someone with more money than I is going to have to take this and repaint it into G1 Roadbuster (http://www.tfu.info/1985/Autobot/Roadbuster/roadbuster.htm).

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=CMS10063&mode=retail&picture=aux1

Tycho
10-29-2008, 12:36 AM
What it would take to interest me in Transformers (TOYS) again:

From Michael Bay's movie:

LC Starscream (probably a TF2 product anyway)
LC Blackout
LC Bonecrusher (with removeable head)

Mini-Con (transformable) Frenzy (converts to boombox)

The return of Alternators and:

Alt Camaro BumbleBee
Alt Solstace Jazz (not really necessary)
Alt (Deluxe Alt?) Topkick Ironhide
Alt (Deluxe Alt?) Hummer Ratchet

Takara Masterpiece

Michael Bay Optimus Prime
Michael Bay F-22 Starscream

Life-size Doc Johnson-made Mikaela (Megan Fox) blow-up doll

12" Hasbro Michael Bay action figure transforms into douche - works as combiner with Megan Fox doll

In any event, I need more cool Decepticons. Suggestions for Masterpieces? How about a MP Triple Changer like Blitzwing or Astrotrain?

figrin bran
10-29-2008, 01:22 AM
I got shipping notice from HTS for my Animated Shockwave so I should have him within a few days.

I used my final McDonald's coupon on Animated Ultra Magnus. He was actually a bit tough to transform thanks to some very tight hinges though I'd take those any day over ultra loose joints and hinges *ahemTransformersUniversedeluxes*

I did notice at Target that the aforementioned Transformers Universe deluxes are now NCF. Which might mean they aren't on the next planogram????

Adam
10-29-2008, 01:27 AM
The DPCI could just be changing. They may be marking the 25th Anniversary stuff under a new DPCI for some reason. I'll have to check my store next time I'm up there.

figrin bran
10-30-2008, 02:17 AM
Animated Shockwave/Longarm arrived today!

He is everything that TFU Galvatron should have been. The chest insignia can flip from Autobot to Decepticon which I thought was a nice touch. And for once, the light piping works rather well on the red eye.

Chaddymac
10-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Animated Shockwave/Longarm arrived today!

He is everything that TFU Galvatron should have been. The chest insignia can flip from Autobot to Decepticon which I thought was a nice touch. And for once, the light piping works rather well on the red eye.
I got mine today too. I can't wait to open him!

Tycho
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Are people here planning to buy that Masterpiece Grimlock from Takara?

El Chuxter
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Does a bear dookie in the woods?

RUSHBOY
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I saw the 25th anniversary Optimus Prime at WM, it comes with a dvd and a comic book !! They also had 2 of them at TRU but are not allowed to sell them until 11/25 . As usual WM doesn't care about the streetdates .

Tycho
11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I saw that at Wal-Mart as well. But having now owned the Masterpiece Optimus Prime since 2004, I couldn't believe how dinky the vintage had been and I was left with no desire to own it, whatsoever.

The Masterpieces and Alternators really spoiled me.

I dare say a lot of the live-action movie toys were a lot better as well:

Deluxe BumbleBee for certain!

Transformers (in some respects) have come a long, long way.

Hard to believe, but that 1984 Optimus Prime was once my favorite toy, a long time ago.

figrin bran
11-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I saw the 25th anniversary Optimus Prime at WM, it comes with a dvd and a comic book !! They also had 2 of them at TRU but are not allowed to sell them until 11/25 . As usual WM doesn't care about the streetdates .

My local TRU put 2 of the Primes out on the shelves yesterday. However, I did not attempt to buy one nor will I be adding it to my collection as I have my G1 version.

Adam
11-03-2008, 01:03 AM

It's because there is no street date for it.

I did notice at Target that the aforementioned Transformers Universe deluxes are now NCF. Which might mean they aren't on the next planogram????

I think the store in question mis-marked them, the movie toys should be going NCF, not TFU.

Dark Marble
11-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Are people here planning to buy that Masterpiece Grimlock from Takara?

Hey Tycho,

I am planning on buying the Grimlock. Prime, Starscream, and Grimlock were my favorites as a kid so I will complete the trinity in masterpiece form. I saw a picture of the prototype Grimlock today sitting in front of the Original 80's G1 Prime and from the looks of it MP Grimlock doesn't look all that big.

Maybe the picture does not convey the scale very well, heck I couldn't really understand the scale of the new Falcon until I got it. But, for the extra hefty price tag Grimlock is going for right now I thought he would be bigger than MP Prime. But...it looks smaller. Hopefully I am wrong :sad:

Tycho
11-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah. I saw the same pic you're talking about Dark Marble. I thought the same thing, too.

We want Grimlock to be HUGE!

Adam
11-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey Tycho,

I am planning on buying the Grimlock. Prime, Starscream, and Grimlock were my favorites as a kid so I will complete the trinity in masterpiece form. I saw a picture of the prototype Grimlock today sitting in front of the Original 80's G1 Prime and from the looks of it MP Grimlock doesn't look all that big.

The fact that he is actually sitting on his rear, as opposed to standing on his legs, probably doesn't help convey his actualy size.

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I hope that's the case, but even so, it looks to be about twice as tall standing as OP, which is not all that big, it'd be about as tall as Starscream. At $140, that'd be an outrageous price to pay.

Chaddymac
11-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I hope that's the case, but even so, it looks to be about twice as tall standing as OP, which is not all that big, it'd be about as tall as Starscream. At $140, that'd be an outrageous price to pay.
I'm waiting for the Hasbro import. I anticipate seeing pictures of it at Toy Fair next year. Happy 25th, Transformers.

JediTricks
11-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Same here, and hopefully they'll put a realistic pricepoint on it.

Jedi_Kal-El
11-12-2008, 12:55 AM
My local TRU put 2 of the Primes out on the shelves yesterday. However, I did not attempt to buy one nor will I be adding it to my collection as I have my G1 version.

I have to agree with you about not picking him up. He's really nothing to write home about. I have the comic and the DVD, and I can get a much better version of G1 Prime from Japan if I want to spend the money. Basiacally, I'd be spending 70 bucks on a talking belt buckle.

JediTricks
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Q&A is coming up again in a few weeks, so if you guys could hit the TF Q&A thread with some questions, that'd be outasight.

Tycho
11-18-2008, 05:32 AM
TFW2005 has pictures of ROTF's Soundwave figure.

His head looks like Soundwave but with Galvatron's type of crown ringing it.

Looks like he transforms into a satellite and it doesn't look like anything in particular. Translation: he's a robot with repositionable parts (that's different from a Transformer in my book).

Anyway, the pictures are clear for unofficial bootleg shots, but don't expect "Toy Fair" quality high resolution pics. Still, it's disappointing.

Who does Soundwave go with?

In terms of prior movie figures:

Leader Class Decepticons matched up with Leader Class, Voyager, and Deluxe Autobots.

Some of the Voyager Class Decepticons were in scale to each other I suppose.

Now I don't know how big a satellite is supposed to be, but not very large I imagine - unless it's like the Hubble Telescope. But besides Astrotrain or Cosmos, what other Cybertronian would Soundwave interact with (rhetorical question)? I heard he'll also use a pickup truck mode in the movie, however this toy does not look like it could transform into a truck at all.

Jedi_Kal-El
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
It's really dumb that they refuse to go in a G1 direction with Soundwave. I know Frenzy could transform into a boombox, but, they've really just strayed away from what Soundwave was for the most part.

El Chuxter
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
A friend just alerted me to this important bit of history:
Optimus Prime was named by Batman guru Denny O'Neil! (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/10/12/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-72/)

Wow. I knew about Budiansky's involvement, but had no idea O'Neil had anything to do with it.

He penned the legendary "Green Lantern/Green Arrow: Hard-Travelling Heroes," he wrote and edited some of the best Batman stories ever created, AND he named Optimus Prime. Amazing. The guy might be the most underappreciated scribe in the business.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 03:32 AM
I found Ironhide at TRU, bought him. Figgy was right, I didn't really get that until I experienced the figure for myself. It's good ideas, poor execution. Mine is bluefaced and has a paint error too, the lower part of a side window is unpainted. Alt mode is very cracky everywhere. It's also too narrow especially on the lower half, and the back end doesn't look like something you'd see on a vehicle like this. The underside is largely empty which causes the whole thing to be a little fragile, easy to cave in. Transformation is very clever, but ends up with some big problems by not thinking through a few things. Bot mode has a lot of backpack, a sunken in neck, hollow lower legs and skinny upper legs, screw holes, and stability issues in the upper body. The articulation is decent tho. The weapon is largely a brick, but the gun at least looks cool. I'd grade it a "C" probably.

Ha, I knew about Denny O'Neil's involvement, but I hadn't remembered that cover, it's really badass! Prime's much darker looking and he's crushing enemies in his bare hands! Too bad he's not crushing the geezer and child on the left, man, what the hell were they thinking putting the Witwicky boys on the cover?

Adam
11-23-2008, 02:33 AM
This picture includes MP Grimlock next to G1 Grimlock, which is the best picture scale wise so far. It's a little small, but big enough to compare the two.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/3048822629_f683722736_o.jpg

figrin bran
11-24-2008, 12:51 AM
I found Ironhide at TRU, bought him. Figgy was right, I didn't really get that until I experienced the figure for myself. It's good ideas, poor execution. Mine is bluefaced and has a paint error too, the lower part of a side window is unpainted. Alt mode is very cracky everywhere. It's also too narrow especially on the lower half, and the back end doesn't look like something you'd see on a vehicle like this. The underside is largely empty which causes the whole thing to be a little fragile, easy to cave in. Transformation is very clever, but ends up with some big problems by not thinking through a few things. Bot mode has a lot of backpack, a sunken in neck, hollow lower legs and skinny upper legs, screw holes, and stability issues in the upper body. The articulation is decent tho. The weapon is largely a brick, but the gun at least looks cool. I'd grade it a "C" probably.

Ha, I knew about Denny O'Neil's involvement, but I hadn't remembered that cover, it's really badass! Prime's much darker looking and he's crushing enemies in his bare hands! Too bad he's not crushing the geezer and child on the left, man, what the hell were they thinking putting the Witwicky boys on the cover?

Oh man, sucks that you had to pay TRU's 10.99 price to find all of that out. Even paying $7.77 myself, I was still disappointed. A "C" seems rather generous in my opinion.

I picked up the Animated Grimlock and Megatron activators over the weekend.

Tycho
11-24-2008, 02:03 AM
This picture includes MP Grimlock next to G1 Grimlock, which is the best picture scale wise so far. It's a little small, but big enough to compare the two.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/3048822629_f683722736_o.jpg

I don't yet know if I'm going to buy the Masterpiece Grimlock.

The difference here is that once I decided I wanted Optimus Prime, I went for it and had no questions about whether I'd buy Starscream or Skywarp.

(Ultra Magnus was "not in this lifetime!")

With Megatron I waited to see the product in person at my comic book store. Then I had to buy him!

You know, I might take that approach with Grimlock.

RUSHBOY
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I found the Target exclusive Autobot Ambush set for 29.99 !!
It comes with Roadbuster, Dirge and a comic book . I like this set better than the way too expensive 25th Optimus Prime (which they also had.)
:thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I picked up Animated Stealth Lockdown at my Target tonite. Really nice for a repaint, and almost seems sturdier than the original. Rescue Ratchet on the other hand is pretty ugly.

figrin bran
11-25-2008, 12:43 AM
I actually thought Rescue Ratchet looked better than Stealth Lockdown but as much as I like the animated line, I'd rather get a second Universe Ironhide than either of those repaints. And mind you, TFU Ironhide gets no better than a C- from me.

I've been thinking of getting Tread Bolt but didn't want to pay TRU's price and haven't seen one since.

With all of those Animated Megs/Optimus 2 packs stacked up high at every Target, you'd think they'd be a Black Friday schedule but it's not on the ad at all. I've been meaning to get one of those as well and was hoping for a sale.

Lastly, I hope all of the ROTF toys are like that Soundwave because they'll be easy passes for me!

Adam
11-25-2008, 02:47 AM
I'd rather get a second Universe Ironhide than either of those repaints.

Well then you may be getting your "wish" as BBTS has put up preorders for TFU Deluxe wave 6. This includes Ratchet! HOORAY! (This wave also has Hot Shot, Dinobot, and Smokescreen.)

I too saw the new TFU comic packs. There are aspects of both that I like, but I can't justify spending money on them right now.

Jedi_Kal-El
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
There have been some unpainted prototype photos of Ratchet on some of the different sites. I don't have a link at the moment, but he does have a better looking head than Ironhide.

Tycho
11-29-2008, 10:03 AM
TFW2005 posted some comparison pictures of MP Grimlock next to MP Prime.

Unfortunately, in robot mode, Grimlock is a head shorter than Prime. WTF?!

This is one of those moments when the ball was dropped.

Dinosaur mode does suggest that Grimlock is bigger in this form, but I'm nevertheless disappointed.

Did any of you have the Shogun Warriors action figures when you were kids? They were huge - like 26" figures or something: Mazinga shot 5 missiles from his hand and had a lazer sword. However, Godzilla was one of the Shogun Warriors. A lever on his neck made him flick out a tongue with fire painted on it, and his right paw would shoot off like a missile for "extra Godzilla punch-power." Other than that, Godzilla was big, green and poseable.

I had hopes that Grimlock could be about this big himself. It's a Masterpiece, so "so what" if we have to pay $200 for it to be the right size. Medicom sells Star Wars 11" figures for almost that much ($150). And a Transformer that actually does something isn't worth more? c'mon!

figrin bran
11-29-2008, 08:37 PM
I had some Shogun Warrior toys as a kid but they were smaller versions.

Anyone get Springer + Ratbat from Target yet? I've been eyeing that set a few times over the past few days but wanted to know what other TF collectors thought of them.

I did pick up the WM Animated 2 Optimus/Blackarachnia 2 pack. I've been wanting that Prime and hoping that since Target had tons of the Optimus/Megs 2 pack at every store that it would be a Black Friday special. The grapple hook on my first BA broke anyhow so I could use another one. Plus my Voyager Prime could use the deluxe Prime's axe. Also I noticed that the Animated Voyager Primes now have the Autobot insignia on the shoulders whereas the older ones did not.

El Chuxter
11-30-2008, 01:31 AM
I saw both the Target exclusive sets, thought they looked like arse, and saved $60.

JediTricks
11-30-2008, 02:20 AM
If you're going to be part of Q&A, the cutoff date is Sunday night (aka, tomorrow/today depending on your POV). We don't have many questions, so almost anything asked will get used.

Oh man, sucks that you had to pay TRU's 10.99 price to find all of that out. Even paying $7.77 myself, I was still disappointed. A "C" seems rather generous in my opinion.
Wow, you are close to failing it, there's nothing about it you like? Dang, that's extreme.

TFW2005 posted some comparison pictures of MP Grimlock next to MP Prime.

Unfortunately, in robot mode, Grimlock is a head shorter than Prime. WTF?!

This is one of those moments when the ball was dropped.

Dinosaur mode does suggest that Grimlock is bigger in this form, but I'm nevertheless disappointed.

Did any of you have the Shogun Warriors action figures when you were kids? They were huge - like 26" figures or something: Mazinga shot 5 missiles from his hand and had a lazer sword. However, Godzilla was one of the Shogun Warriors. A lever on his neck made him flick out a tongue with fire painted on it, and his right paw would shoot off like a missile for "extra Godzilla punch-power." Other than that, Godzilla was big, green and poseable.

I had hopes that Grimlock could be about this big himself. It's a Masterpiece, so "so what" if we have to pay $200 for it to be the right size. Medicom sells Star Wars 11" figures for almost that much ($150). And a Transformer that actually does something isn't worth more? c'mon!Yeah, I think TakaraTomy has lost sight of what Masterpiece means. Starscream is pretty small, Megatron is pretty skinny, and Grimlock is pretty expensive.
I'm not sure I would want a Shogun Warriors-sized one, they were 2 feet tall and had only 2 points of articulation usually (shoulder left and shoulder right), they were hollow vinyl and had limited play potential. But Grimlock should be bigger than Op, that's just KNOWN.

I cannot believe how repaint-crazy some of you guys are going.

Tycho
12-01-2008, 02:19 AM
My local newspaper's business section featured a big picture of movie-Optimus Prime on the front page of Saturday's paper and recommended him (and Transformers) as holiday presents for kids - naming them "staples of the toy industry" and "you can't go wrong with Transformers."

It seemed to suggest that if we buy more Transformers, we'll start to reverse the downward spiral of the economy. I would normally like that suggestion. I'm not sure what Transformers I'd want to buy right now.

I really need to see the return of Alternators and check out more ROTF movie figures (beyond Soundwave - who I'd like a size comparison picture for - from the actual movie - so I'll know if I want that deluxe figure of him or not).

figrin bran
12-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Surprisingly those 25th Optimus sets are all gone at my local Target. Moreover, most of those TF exclusives are sold out except for the Legends multipacks. People are even buying those Movie 2 packs - why??? Haven't they been in stores long enough?

Wow, you are close to failing it, there's nothing about it you like? Dang, that's extreme.

Well, I would probably give a C- and not a Fail. Much of that is probably me displacing my disenchantment with the Universe deluxes onto this one figure. The line seems to have more misses than hits and there's little to argue against it being just a stopgap line for Hasbro.

Tycho would appreciate this especially since I'm rehashing his whole thing last year about women and TF's - so I have this G1 TF shirt from Target that has Optimus, Jazz, Bumblebee and Hot Rod on it and on 2 separate occasions, I've had people, females at that, comment/compliment on it. Both of them couldn't have been older than their mid 20's.

Tycho
12-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Can I borrow your shirt, dude?

figrin bran
12-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Can I borrow your shirt, dude?

Haha, those shirts are warming the shelves at Target for some reason.

figrin bran
12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
HTS has some great $10 deals of the day on TF's!

TFU Silverbolt, Animated Voyager Bulkhead, Lugnut, Grimlock, Animated Optimus/Megs 2 pack. You can also use TF2009 to save an additional 10%.

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Surprisingly those 25th Optimus sets are all gone at my local Target. Moreover, most of those TF exclusives are sold out except for the Legends multipacks. People are even buying those Movie 2 packs - why??? Haven't they been in stores long enough? It's the holiday season, people are going mad house.

Well, I would probably give a C- and not a Fail. Much of that is probably me displacing my disenchantment with the Universe deluxes onto this one figure. The line seems to have more misses than hits and there's little to argue against it being just a stopgap line for Hasbro. Close to a "D" which is essentially a fail. :p I do see your point though, this figure seems like it represents a lot of the lesser aspects of the line without being ridiculous farce a la Decepticon Triple-changers.

Tycho would appreciate this especially since I'm rehashing his whole thing last year about women and TF's - so I have this G1 TF shirt from Target that has Optimus, Jazz, Bumblebee and Hot Rod on it and on 2 separate occasions, I've had people, females at that, comment/compliment on it. Both of them couldn't have been older than their mid 20's.Right on. Who knew that TFs were chick bait?

figrin bran
12-05-2008, 10:52 AM
More pics are up of Universe Dinobot on TFormers.com. The chest kibble looks strange in that there's a pair of claws surrounding it but at least it's minimized compared to BW Dinobots. It'll be a definite purchase on my part.

Pics are also up for a G1 repaint of Animated Shockwave as well as Sunstorm. Now I wish I hadn't bought the first animated one! Of Shockwave that is, Sunstorm is new obviously.

Tycho
12-06-2008, 11:32 PM
OK, I read up on Ironhide (TF Universe). Sucks. He looks good in the package - like the way the G1 Ironhide was always supposed to look. Yeah he's got a lot of "transformation cracks" in him, but the thing is, that indicated a cool transformation to me. No? Huh? Too bad.

Jedi_Kal-El
12-07-2008, 12:22 AM
OK, I read up on Ironhide (TF Universe). Sucks. He looks good in the package - like the way the G1 Ironhide was always supposed to look. Yeah he's got a lot of "transformation cracks" in him, but the thing is, that indicated a cool transformation to me. No? Huh? Too bad.

He's not as bad in robot mode, but still not great. Just think though, we're going to be getting the mold at least one more time for Ratchet.

Tycho
12-07-2008, 01:18 AM
You guys will (get Ratchet).

I'm very picky about what Transformers I'll buy - and even then I've made some stupid choices.

El Chuxter
12-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I actually don't think Ironhide is that bad, aside from the poorly-done weapon.

Jedi_Kal-El
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I actually don't think Ironhide is that bad, aside from the poorly-done weapon.

As I said, he isn't bad. I also don't care for the weapon, or the way his head sits, but the head can be fixed. I would hope at least with Ratchet that they give him a different weapon, but this is Hasbro we're talking about.

figrin bran
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
You guys will (get Ratchet).

I'm very picky about what Transformers I'll buy - and even then I've made some stupid choices.

No. I will not. :razz:

I don't plan on buying any ROTF movie TF's either.

El Chuxter
12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
From what I know of, I'm planning to get Ratchet, Cyclonus, Hound, Inferno, and, uh, I think that's it. Maybe a few of the Legends who were actually small the first time around (Brawn, Beachcomber, and Wheelie, especially).

I'm really looking forward to next summer. I love collecting toys, but with SW mostly in Clone Wars and rehash modes, and GIJoe and Transformers both supposed to go on hiatus for the movies, I should be saving a lot of money.

Adam
12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't get the Ironhide hate. The alt mode is pretty cracky, but I like the bot mode a lot.

I also like the bot mode on the deluxe Hound I bought today. :)

Tycho
12-08-2008, 02:23 AM
I haven't seen Hound personally, but he's usually cool any way they present him. Does he still turn into a Jeep? I always thought Hound was a great design for a great character.

figrin bran
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I haven't seen Hound personally, but he's usually cool any way they present him. Does he still turn into a Jeep? I always thought Hound was a great design for a great character.

Yes, still a jeep. He comes with Ravage as well. You should look into getting this one, Tycho! :thumbsup:

Tycho
12-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I have the Alternator Hound and love him!

Adam
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Ravage is a neat little addition. I wish I had that TRU reissue Soundwave to go with him.

TheRealDubya
12-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm really looking forward to next summer. I love collecting toys, but with SW mostly in Clone Wars and rehash modes, and GIJoe and Transformers both supposed to go on hiatus for the movies, I should be saving a lot of money.

I hear you. I'm actually really looking forward to a summer NOT spent looking for toys.

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Bot mode for Ironhide is ok, but skinny limb parts, odd articulation choices, a dipped head, too much backpack, exposed screws, and a lack of structural integrity bring it down some. I stand by my "C" grade for him, it's a passing grade but nothing to get excited over.

JediTricks
12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Our TF Q&A is back: http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=2471

Tycho
12-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Do you guys want Transformers that turn into the James Bond vehicles?

The Lotus and Aston Martin, and BMW would be cool starters (for Alternator types of cars).

They could make the speedboats and snowsleds, choppers, torpedo drill, and stealth ship, etc. too.

Jedi_Kal-El
12-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Do you guys want Transformers that turn into the James Bond vehicles?

The Lotus and Aston Martin, and BMW would be cool starters (for Alternator types of cars).

They could make the speedboats and snowsleds, choppers, torpedo drill, and stealth ship, etc. too.

That would be kinda cool, but they'd have to figure out a way to integrate the two to make it work.

Tycho
12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
All the bots would be wearing metal tuxedoes when they transformed! :D

Jedi_Kal-El
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
As long as the Odd Job version comes with his siganture hat.

Adam
12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Repaint happy-Hasbro strikes again. That Silverbolt repaint is going to shelfwarm SO HARD. I like the CD Red Alert redeco though..

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-images-of-universe-darkwing--countdown-166412/

Tycho
12-18-2008, 10:28 AM
TFW2005 has pictures of Revenge of the Fallen's Jetfire toy. It's a Cybertronian jet not too far off from Megatron's first movie appearance.

It didn't impress me and it's probably too small for me to want to purchase, as I like stuff like this to at least be leader-class size (still hoping for Starscream and would love Blackout and Bonecrusher from the first movie).

So far, what I've seen from ROTF has not impressed me:

Jetfire, Soundwave as a satellite.

Bumblebee is fine - but he's nearly a repaint.

I may be purchasing very limited Transformers from the next movie. I'm not altogether sure.

Jedi_Kal-El
12-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Repaint happy-Hasbro strikes again. That Silverbolt repaint is going to shelfwarm SO HARD. I like the CD Red Alert redeco though..

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-images-of-universe-darkwing--countdown-166412/

The Silverbolt is shelfwarming, most of the paces I visit, and after seeing the pics of Darkwing, I'm not impressed.

JediTricks
12-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, that looks pretty much terrible. Hasbro needs to dial it the f back on these repaints, there's a HUGE hole where Transformers should be over the next 5 months thanks to this crap.

El Chuxter
12-19-2008, 09:19 AM
More to pass on! My wallet thanks you, Hasbro.

I've got Brawn, Inferno, and Beachcomber on order, so that leaves Hound/Ravage, Wheelie, and Cyclonus. That's it for the non-repaint (and non-Seeker) Classics 2.0 as of now, right? Oh yeah, Ratchet and Smokescreen. Still, pretty close to done (again).

Chaddymac
12-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I kinda like Darkwing as a compantion for Dreadwing (the botcon exclusive) Also, I've got a soft spot for the G1 Season 3 figures and Dreadwing has that goofy vibrant purple and iceblue that those figures were so known for. But, you can't market based just on nostalgia, so it's kind of a stupid move on their part. Yeah, they've got my buy, but it probably WILL shelfwarm.

Chux: I got Beachcomber, Brawn, and Bumblebee yesterday and have the rest on order as well. Beachcomber is fantastic. I'm really impressed with this figure. I'd give him a 10, Brawn a 7 (reasonably good execution, but some missteps that hold the figure back from really competing with Beachcomber), and Bumblebee a 5 (nice effort, but a LOT of problems).

Adam
12-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Funny that the pacifistic Beachcomber comes with a gun while the others don't seem too..

Chaddymac
12-21-2008, 11:06 AM
It shoots golden water from the golden lagoon.
Or, that hippy bastard finally got his head in the game.

Jedi_Kal-El
12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, that looks pretty much terrible. Hasbro needs to dial it the f back on these repaints, there's a HUGE hole where Transformers should be over the next 5 months thanks to this crap.

I agree with you there JT. While the Classics side of the Universe line was quite nice at first, the slew of endless repaints is really starting to turn me off to the entire line.

El Chuxter
12-23-2008, 02:58 AM
The only thing I can figure is that they're going after people like me who might buy the first repaint or so. But it only takes getting burned once or twice ("That ain't Blaster; I don't care if he is orange!") to keep such folks from buying the later repaints. That Silverbolt repaint is so going to shame the Neimoidian Warrior.

Chaddymac
12-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I agree that there have been a lot of repaints in Classics, but I think they have a line that's doing so well, they just don't have the product to support it. And, like with the first TF movie, they've got THREE lines in production right now. They couldn't possibly have the resources to continue releasing brand new molds in the kind of volume you and I would like.

However, if they're going to continue with these repaints, I would rather have had a Ghost Starscream or Sunstorm before a second Starscream with the same name. Even if I bought it anyway...

JediTricks
12-23-2008, 07:55 PM
They shouldn't plan stopgap lines like Universe 2.0 to consist of such few new molds if they look at a damned calendar in advance though. "These figures will take us to January. And somehow the brand will continue till May?"

Chaddymac
12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, I think they DO plan the line with repaints in mind. It's a good way to amortize costs, regardless of how far out they've planned the line. And I gotta say, if I have to endure a few repaints to justify awesome figures like Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Hound, Ravage, The Seekers, and Cyclonus - count me in for the long haul. I'll even buy a few of the repaints.

El Chuxter
12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
If the plan on repaints, why not Jazz (repaint of Silverstreak) or the remaining Seekers?

figrin bran
12-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Out of all the toylines we collect on this board, it seems like Transformers have sold the best during the holiday season here in Los Angeles. I've been to 3 different Targets this weekend and cannot find a single TF deluxe. No animated, no Universe, no Movie. Voyagers and Leader class were very scarce as well.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure what's going on there, I noticed that as well but it seems like they used repack. Culver City Target actually pulled most of the pegs and turned them into shelves for all the various Hasbro brands' Ultimate Battle Pack sets for this year, GI Joe, TF, and SW. I haven't been to TRU much and WM not at all the last month, but TRU had a lot of older product so it's not surprising it didn't move.

El Chuxter
12-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Palm Springs Targets are a different story. All the movie stuff is gone, most of the Animated stuff is gone, and the larger Classics stuff is rotting. One Target (but just one, oddly) had the exclusive two-packs marked down to $21. Still didn't convince me to get them. Maybe at $17 or lower, I'll get Roadbuster.

Jedi_Kal-El
12-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Except for some of the known peg warmers, my stores are pretty dry as well. One of my Wal-Marts does still have a few Movie voyagers on the shelf, but not as many as they did a month ago. Target is cleaned out, and I havn't been to TRU in some time. Didn't expect to find Shockwave or Skywarp before christmas, and will probably not see them for another two weeks. I also have yet to see EG Bumblebee. Aside from that, the latest waves of Animated and Universe havn't shown up here yet.

Chaddymac
12-30-2008, 10:55 AM
While I was in St Louis for the holiday, I saw essentially the same thing as in LA. Lots of empty pegs. That said, one Target got in the latest wave of Animated deluxes right before I left, so I did walk away with Blur, Swindle, and Blazing Lockdown. So, the good news is that empty pegs mean less clog. Hopefully, I'll be able to find Universe Cyclonus (since Hasbro neglected to include him in my order when they shipped it, then promptly sold out).

Adam
12-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Hopefully, I'll be able to find Universe Cyclonus

He's pretty awesome. :P

Chaddymac
12-31-2008, 06:08 PM
He's pretty awesome. :P
I am bitter.

Adam
01-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Don't be! I wasted 20 bucks at the same time on Titanium Grimlock, who is nothing compared to Cyclonus.

Chaddymac
01-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Bitter and jealous. And angry. Boo, HasbroToyShop. Boo.

figrin bran
01-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Deluxes are still $7.77 at WM and Animated Deluxes are still that price at Target, correct?

figrin bran
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
To answer my own question, Animated deluxes are 7.79 at Target. I bought Blurr and Siwndle from them this morning.

I like Blurr but he has a streak of paint chipped off on his face so that it looks like he has facial scarring. Swindle suffers from Bonecrusher syndrome (and is painted a similar shade of green too to boot) in that his proportions just don't look right on a deluxe. If he were 10.99 or even 9.99 I would've passed but at only $8 I figured why not?

El Chuxter
01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I found Hound today at Target. He looks pretty nice in-package, but I haven't opened him. Another guy was walking out of the aisle with the only Cyclonus when I got there. :(

Jedi_Kal-El
01-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Another guy was walking out of the aisle with the only Cyclonus when I got there. :(

I hate it when that happens. Happens alot too, no matter what time you enter the store.

Chaddymac
01-05-2009, 02:20 AM
I found Hound today at Target. He looks pretty nice in-package, but I haven't opened him. Another guy was walking out of the aisle with the only Cyclonus when I got there. :(
Not the one on La Cienega, right? That wasn't me, was it, Chux?

El Chuxter
01-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Nah, San Ber'dino.

El Chuxter
01-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Hound sucks more than any Classics/Universe Classics Deluxe figure, by the way. Nice try, but no banana. Ravage kinda sucks, too, but at least he's just a pack-in. :(

figrin bran
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Hound sucks more than any Classics/Universe Classics Deluxe figure, by the way. Nice try, but no banana. Ravage kinda sucks, too, but at least he's just a pack-in. :(

Somehow I doubt that. Even though you liked him, I don't think any Universe figure could be worse than Ironhide. From pics, I've seen, Hound doesn't seem that bad at all. My guess is that I'll probably give him a B+ or even A- when I have him.

Btw, Animated Swindle gets a B- from me while Blurr gets an A-. I didn't really want to give that high a grade to Blurr especially for a non A list character but the only real flaw he has is that there's quite a bit of a gap in the back in alt mode, much like Classics Hot Rod. However, since it's a futuristic car design (though some would say rip off of the Mach 5), it's not as bad.

El Chuxter
01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Ironhide can at least stand up in robot mode.

Chaddymac
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more, Chux. I think Hound is one of the best Universe figures, and I think Ravage is both fun and an inventive design. And I can't imagine why you'd have problems standing him up - mine seems to work perfectly. My only gripe is that the shoulder gun/weapon thing doesn't click into the right shoulder as well as it does into the left, but that could just be a problem with my figure. Other than that, I think he ranks up there with Prowl, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, and my new love - Cyclonus.

El Chuxter
01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Do you know where I could find photos of him in robot mode from various angles? The instructions kinda went south when they asked that I rotate the wheels in a way that they physically couldn't rotate without breaking something, so maybe I totally blew the last few steps.

I really, really wish they'd put words in these instructions like in the original line.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I really, really wish they'd put words in these instructions like in the original line.

That might instigate a price increase.

Chaddymac
01-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Do you know where I could find photos of him in robot mode from various angles? The instructions kinda went south when they asked that I rotate the wheels in a way that they physically couldn't rotate without breaking something, so maybe I totally blew the last few steps.

Don't know if this helps, but here's a pretty detailed gallery: http://tformers.com/gv.php?mode=album&album=361&start=20

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Have I mentioned yet how annoyed I am with TF:U Cheetor, or that I can't find Cyclonus still?

I ordered TF:A Blurr & Swindle on HTS today, using the 10% off Transformers coupon code (tf2009), it's still more than stores but saves me a little shopping time.

Ironhide can at least stand up in robot mode.You're doing something wrong if you can't stand Hound up in bot mode, he's no trouble to get standing, his feet even sideways-tilt to match the surface. His legs are a little far forward, but they curve back to match this.

I couldn't disagree with you more, Chux. I think Hound is one of the best Universe figures, and I think Ravage is both fun and an inventive design. And I can't imagine why you'd have problems standing him up - mine seems to work perfectly. My only gripe is that the shoulder gun/weapon thing doesn't click into the right shoulder as well as it does into the left, but that could just be a problem with my figure. Other than that, I think he ranks up there with Prowl, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, and my new love - Cyclonus.I would say Hound is in the top or second tier, he's a very nifty figure but needs more detail and that shoulder weapon situation doesn't work right on either side for mine, the tab isn't shaped to hold on properly (it's supposed to point straight out, but the tab is too long). But no question, it's a nifty set.

I really, really wish they'd put words in these instructions like in the original line.Geez, you are getting old Chux! The front wheels are on hinged struts, the wheels hinge around the tip of the strut. The rear wheels don't rotate at all.

Don't know if this helps, but here's a pretty detailed gallery: http://tformers.com/gv.php?mode=album&album=361&start=20That gallery is wrong about how the midsection is posed, and how the front wheels are positioned at the shoulders.

figrin bran
01-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Have I mentioned yet how annoyed I am with TF:U Cheetor, or that I can't find Cyclonus still?

Would that be TFU Hunchback Cheetor? :p

I bought Hound but got swindled by an accessory thief :(

I really should've known something was wrong with excessive tape on the sides but I thought everything was inside the bubble. Everything except the holo projector which I only realized after I opened it up.

You know for a Universe toy, Hound does an awfully good impression of an Animated toy :p (therein probably lies the reason for JT thinking he needs more detail).

Anyhow, I'm so disappointed that I don't have Hound's weapon and that I got fooled by some thieving fruit tart that I don't want to comment any further.

Chaddymac
01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Would that be TFU Hunchback Cheetor? :p

I bought Hound but got swindled by an accessory thief :(

I really should've known something was wrong with excessive tape on the sides but I thought everything was inside the bubble. Everything except the holo projector which I only realized after I opened it up.

You know for a Universe toy, Hound does an awfully good impression of an Animated toy :p (therein probably lies the reason for JT thinking he needs more detail).

Anyhow, I'm so disappointed that I don't have Hound's weapon and that I got fooled by some thieving fruit tart that I don't want to comment any further.
I'm sure you'll find another one.

Tycho
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm fiddling with my old Transformers and appreciating them 1 at a time.

I transformed Alternator Sunstreaker from a Dodge Viper into a robot, and I currently also have out Tracks (still in blue Corvette mode).

I really loved Alternators and I think they're cool. They're what got me back into Transformers. The quality was really there.

figrin bran
01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I probably own 10 times the amount of Transformers that you do, Tycho, and yet I don't own a single Alternator.

clone157
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I probably own 10 times the amount of Transformers that you do, Tycho, and yet I don't own a single Alternator.

Are you crazy? They were uber-cool. Second to the universe line, but that's cause of price.lol Too bad Universe will be on hold until after the (unimpressive) movie line dies out again.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Are you crazy? They were uber-cool. Second to the universe line, but that's cause of price.lol Too bad Universe will be on hold until after the (unimpressive) movie line dies out again.

Alternators are super cool, and as far as the unimpresive movie line dying out, if the last line was any indication it won't happen for a while.

Tycho
01-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Yeah: I really wanted the Alternators to have an Ironhide and Ratchet. A larger size Alternator if need be.

The closest I could get to better-scaled Seekers were the Masterpieces (of which I have Starscream and Skywarp) and I also bought Megatron and Prime (the No.1 out of 100 Best Toys of the Century - or whatever he won 1st Place for in Toy Fare, I think).

I'm waiting to see Grimlock in person before I make a decision on him.

I bought the Universe Powerglide as many of you know, as his size approached the Masterpiece jets halfway decently (not perfectly however) and I just love Warthog jets and Powerglide's G1 character.

The movie line still needs Leader Class Starscream and Blackout. The former might happen for ROTF, but I don't know if we'll get the helicopter. Choppers are cool. I want to have a big one to fly around and attack my Autobots with. Bonecrusher would also be nice in a Leader Class movie figure, but he's less of an interest for me.

I don't know what I'll be buying from ROTF if anything.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Alternators Prime was supposed to be Ironhide.

Tycho
01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah. I know the story behind that (Ironhide / Prime switch).

Tonight I'm having difficulty transforming Alternators Wheeljack. Part of me appreciates having a challenge. He's like a puzzle. Specifically, I'm having trouble getting the front arms under the hood and the doors alligned.

I'll get it though. I'm just tired and decided to put him down rather than risk breaking him.

I like tough-to-transform bots though, especially when Hasbro was creative with figuring out how they'd work (movie BumbleBee's roof separating into his arms, for example). That and great articulation are 2 things I look for in a Transformer, amongst other stuff.

I also watched a little bit of the Animated show when I couldn't sleep last night. It was pretty cool. That clutzy new giant Autobot (the green guy) is a different element. I'm not sure whether I like him or not. But I'm surprised Optimus tolerates him destroying humans' private property, even if it is by accident. Prowl tried to get him under control, though. With Prowl's new form, I didn't even recognize him until they said his name.

Anyway, it seemed Megatron was a detached head in need of repairs, and he was helping a scientist dude realize the Dinobots. I finally got tired and didn't watch the end. However, it was interesting. It further pushed me over into the "maybe" category for ordering Masterpiece Grimlock. But I still think that my plan to see him in person at my comic book shop is probably for the best.

Chaddymac
01-15-2009, 04:44 AM
...It further pushed me over into the "maybe" category for ordering Masterpiece Grimlock. But I still think that my plan to see him in person at my comic book shop is probably for the best.
If you're on the fence, maybe you should wait for Hasbro's inevitable release. Will probably be cheaper.

Bosskman
01-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Masterpiece Grimlock is one I'm definately not going to pass up.

Tycho
01-16-2009, 11:14 AM
I figured out how to handle Alternator Wheeljack's arms finally - and I've now successfully transformed him into a car. The Mustang's awesome. I just thought I'd share that.

Mirage is up next. He goes from Ford GT to robot, but right now I'm still admiring the car.

figrin bran
01-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah. I know the story behind that (Ironhide / Prime switch).

Tonight I'm having difficulty transforming Alternators Wheeljack. Part of me appreciates having a challenge. He's like a puzzle. Specifically, I'm having trouble getting the front arms under the hood and the doors alligned.

I'll get it though. I'm just tired and decided to put him down rather than risk breaking him.

I like tough-to-transform bots though, especially when Hasbro was creative with figuring out how they'd work (movie BumbleBee's roof separating into his arms, for example). That and great articulation are 2 things I look for in a Transformer, amongst other stuff.

I also watched a little bit of the Animated show when I couldn't sleep last night. It was pretty cool. That clutzy new giant Autobot (the green guy) is a different element. I'm not sure whether I like him or not. But I'm surprised Optimus tolerates him destroying humans' private property, even if it is by accident. Prowl tried to get him under control, though. With Prowl's new form, I didn't even recognize him until they said his name.

Anyway, it seemed Megatron was a detached head in need of repairs, and he was helping a scientist dude realize the Dinobots. I finally got tired and didn't watch the end. However, it was interesting. It further pushed me over into the "maybe" category for ordering Masterpiece Grimlock. But I still think that my plan to see him in person at my comic book shop is probably for the best.

Tycho, that Animated series is a mixed bag - some outstanding episodes but some kiddie fluff eps as well. I actually think Corey Burton does a better Megatron than Frank Welker! I'm not a big fan of Bulkhead (as a character. but as a toy, the Voyager is pretty good) but he's infinitely more tolerable than Bumblebee!

Tycho
01-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Frank Welker was in the credits for one of the Star Trek movies. I forgot which and who he voiced, but I noticed it the other night.

I want to say he did one of Chekov's screams, but Walter Koenig is famous for his Chekov screams. I don't see why they'd need a voice actor to replace him on that.

Welker might have played the whales in Star Trek 4 though. Like I said, I'm not sure. OH!!! Now I remember - I think he was Klingon Captain Kruuge's Targ (dog)!

JediTricks
01-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Welker is a voice in Star Trek 3, he's the voice of young Spock (he cries out, but doesn't speak).

I got a bunch of TFs this week. 2 TF:U deluxes from Target, and 2 TF:A deluxes from HTS.

First up was TF:U Cyclonus and Dinobot.

Cyclonus is pretty cool. His alt mode is decent, a little more blocky than the original but looks good none the less, lots of little guns sculpted everywhere. However, the rear section is somewhat gappy and unsure of itself, the leg halves don't really want to go anywhere that much. Transformation is super clever, lots of fun stuff, I'd love to see more of these elements recycled into other figures. Bot mode is great, very tight design, minimal kibble, lots of attitude, great way to get the wings into the cartoon look, just brilliant all around. He comes with Nightstick, his Targetmaster companion, who is now more minicon-esque with actual articulation. Nightstick is pretty simple but acceptable, he even plugs onto Cyclonus' untransformed wrist stump. I'd give this set an "A-".

===

Dinobot is a mixed bag, what works does so well, what doesn't work really doesn't. Alt mode is a more cartoon-accurate raptor, but he still has kibble issues. His forearms and bot claws are now under his thorax (on the original BW figure, it was his horrible legs), Hasbro makes this worse by packaging the bot mode hands out instead of the claws. Also, the robot thighs are left very obvious, so the figure only looks good from the right side (the left side is covered in screw holes). Annoyingly, this figure is less poseable than the original, his legs barely move at the hip and knee which leaves him a rather "leggy" raptor.

Transformation is almost "stand up, you're a robot" but has so much going on that it doesn't feel unsubstantial, I really appreciate the conceptual engineering that went into a transformation to get a cartoon-accurate bot mode. However, the actual toy suffers because of too many small panels just not getting their jobs done, which I'll elaborate on in a little bit.

Bot mode looks great in the sculpt, this is recognizably Dinobot from the cartoon, they pay homage to the leg design, the feet, the hand claws, and of course the head. Dinobot could be a little wider at the shoulders, more beefy, and the chest design isn't all that show-accurate in general, but it gets the idea across pretty well. Strangely, the thighs, which were a problem in alt mode, are still a problem, this design looks too standard TF, too robotic and not particularly character-accurate, so it leaves one to wonder why they went this route at all. Articulation is mixed, the arms have a fair amount, and the hips and ankles are ball joints, but the knees have limited range and there's no rotation at the thighs which kills the best poses. My biggest problems with this bot are first the secondary colors, the horrendous yellow-gold plastic used everywhere, this color is absolutely fugly; also, instead of Dinobot's signature blue bot mode coloring, they went Decepticon purple in plastic and paint (even on his face!), that is a total "WTF" moment. But most damning is the panels that make up the chest, there is absolutely no cohesion to this design, the shoulder panels require the torso panels to hold them in place, but the torso panels cannot possibly do this, so moving the arms usually dislodges something. Then there's the spring-loaded panel that covers the bot face in alt mode, this thing is supposed to slip across several sections inside the torso, but that interior design has too many bumps and gaps so instead it forces the raptor head to stick further out leaving it less stable and more unattractive (when it doesn't pop the raptor head completely off).

In terms of gimmicks, the figure has a rotating panel on his chest with tiny Maximal and Predacon logos painted on, as well as regular raptor sculpting, it's tough to rotate because it's so small, but it's nifty. The figure sports traditional robot-style hands with 5mm holes that can rotate around to make up the signature claw-hands, it's a clever gimmick if a little tough to work with at times. The whole rear quarter of the raptor becomes a weapon again, this time it's a stationary (boo!) representation of the original weapon, and it's a spring-loaded missile launcher. This larger weapon can be clipped by its firing tab to the back of Dinobot's collar to be worn on his back, or held in his right hand only through friction bumps that are specifically cut to only be used in that 1 hand with that 1 orientation - this is such a strange choice because they could have easily NOT done this, made it a 5mm handle, and thus held in either hand in either orientation. The sword is a red/orange translucent missile, it's got the basic shape of the cartoon sword but is shorter and they had to blunt the tip because it's a missile; it can be held in either the hand-style fist or the character's claws, but I do wish it was longer and not clear.

Overall, I like what they were thinking with Dinobot, and I'd love to see some of these concepts reused down the line, but here they just don't seem practical enough to make up this torso, there are too many little issues so that he's a likable figure to look at, but not to pose or play with. The drawbacks mostly seem to come down to odd choices: why did they leave a problem under the alt mode again, why did they limit the range of motion on the knees, why did they use that thigh sculpt, why did they go with those horrible color gold and purple colors, why did they design in a handle limitation to the larger weapon. Those choices detract heavily from this figure, and they didn't need to. My grade would be split, for the "fun" collector: "C", and for the "character" collector, a generous "B-".

===

Then it's TF:A in the mail.

Swindle looks kinda cool in alt mode, a jeep crossed with a hummer. The big TOW missile launcher on top is silly-oversized, and leaving the back window unpainted sucks, but generally it's a likable design. The missile launcher doesn't want to peg into its holes though, the peg is a touch too small so the launcher just flops about. Transformation is quite clever, lots of folding and panels without being a shellmaster - I love how the forearms get created, this has to be used again for more figures - but the chest panel's double-hinge requires more force than seems possible. Bot mode has some good ideas in it, and is mainly a good design overall, but maybe I'm having bad QC because the lower chest panel absolutely will not stay closed, it just flops open no matter what, and the missile launcher will not stay in the forearm peg. The clear plastic upper arm pieces don't want to work together either, the right bicep slips out of its shoulder groove, and the left shoulder won't stay upright, stupid clear plastic never works right! I wish I liked this figure more, but the extensive use clear plastic is already causing trouble, and I loathe this figure's overly simple giant head design. Grade would be "D+" for mine, if I got one with the missile launcher peg working and the chest locking down and no upper arm troubles, it might be a "C+" or even maybe a generous "B-".

===

Blurr is almost everything I'm looking for in a Transformer. I love the speedy futuristic alt mode with its hollow rear wheels, Tron-esque "electro lighting" paint, and pop-out saw, I really hope to see this get another color scheme soon so I can buy another version; this is a toy car I'd buy even if it wasn't a Transformer. This alt mode is quite different in overall shape from the original G1 character, less alien, but they both convey similar themes - futuristic, sleek, fast, blue. In package, the robot feet are pushed against the rear wheel, so make sure you move those feet away slightly so they can spin. If you look carefully, you can see the glossy black cockpit is translucent plastic with sculpted circuit detailing on the inside, nice touch. The only complaint I'd have about the alt mode is that the rear end is too gappy if you look straight in, they could have used the fold-away panel over the bot face to add some triangular blocks thus making it look more "whole" while still allowing the see-through rear wheels.

Transformation is one of the most challenging deluxes I can remember, and it doesn't help that the instructions are vague about where the front fenders separate from the body so they can fold back, which makes it very difficult to even get started. In fact, why they started with the front fenders instead of the rears, which are easier to get going and unlock the front fenders, is beyond me. Once you get those sorted out, it's still a bit difficult but you start to get those "aha, I see what they're getting at" moments as the limbs switch orientations, the back becomes the front. Finally, the instructions totally leave out a step rotating the feet, the feet still work when you don't have them but they look worse. I have some trouble transforming this figure back to alt mode because the forearms and hands don't want to get under the canopy piece, and I always hate the way the hips rotate around (they've been using this more and more the last few years).

Bot mode is tall and extremely thin, beyond "lanky" even. There's a fair number of edges showing from the alt mode, but they somehow get visually absorbed into the overall look so it all works. Blurr clearly is a hand-to-hand fighter - they didn't give him a gun at all, just a shield with saw - but he looks like it, like a lithe master of some unknown martial art that focuses on speed and agility over strength. The head, although possessing notes of the G1 toy and cartoon designs, is really its own man and quite different from most TFs, he seems like an alien to regular TF and even TF:A designs IMO, though he does still fit the TF:A aesthetics. The rubbery antenna on his head is an interesting choice, mine came slightly warped but is slowly going back to the normal shape. Articulation is very good, ball-jointed head, elbows, foot front, foot back, and hips; limited ball-jointed shoulders; hinged knees and front feet; and rotation waist, biceps, and boots. The upper body posing is good, the lower body posing is very good, ultimately with some creativity the figure ends up incredibly stable in almost any 2-footed pose (I don't foresee any 1-legged poses working at all though). Just like in alt mode, bot mode is rock solid, nothing comes off or pops out, only the shoulder tabs want to transform back yet they're held in place pretty well.

In terms of gimmicks, there's the removable shield with clear blue spring-out saw, this can peg into the side of the forearm (the hands aren't sculpted to hold stuff), or onto the figure's back via an extra set of holes. The head also has light-piping, and from the sides rather than the back or top.

Bottom line, I love this figure, Blurr looks great in alt mode, is fascinating in bot mode, and has an incredibly clever transformation. It's going to be tough for kids to figure out the transformation, it's tough enough without the instructions being vague, so they will need help. For the rest of us, this is a real winner, my grade is "A".

figrin bran
01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
JT, I'm glad you gave Animated Blurr an "A"! :thumbsup:

As I'm trying to pass on all ROTF toys, this weekend was probably my largest TF haul for the year - TFU Cheetor (despite the negative reviews, I still wanted it), a duplicate Hound because my first one had the holo projector stolen, Dinobot, repaint Starscream and Cyclonus.

In short, Cyclonus = awesome. I like the Dinobot character a lot so I always want his figures to turn out great but they never do for the most part. I also like the Cheetor character a lot and this one might be the worst one I own!

JT, I'll have to check if my TFA Swindle has the same issues that yours does.

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Blurr is hard not to rate highly, I keep wanting to take him with me from room to room like when I was a kid. And he poses like a Gundam figure or something, VERY dramatic, so many choices - though now I do wish he had a gun, it'd just make him cooler.

No ROTF? Not even gonna be picky and get a few good ones? Not even Sideswipe, the 2010 concept Corvette? I'm gonna be picky but I will not be able to pass that one up, and a few others.

So, what did you think of this new Dinobot figure? It's not clear if you are referring to the new fig or not.

Do you own Transmetals 2 Cheetor? That figure sucks worse than this one in many ways. Other than that, I'd say you're spot-on.

Thanks, I am very curious about Swindle because I haven't seen anybody else complaint about that.

Chaddymac
01-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't have a problem with my Swindle. He's perfect. Might just be a QC issue.

I also love Dinobot. I'm not sure why people have found reason to complain. He's a better match for the animation model on both robot and beast mode (though I do wish he had the spinning tail weapon instead of the launcher, and the longer bone sword). Has anyone tried taking the original bone sword from BW Dinobot to see if it fits inside the tail yet? I may have to dig mine out of storage to test it out...

figrin bran
01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Blurr is hard not to rate highly, I keep wanting to take him with me from room to room like when I was a kid. And he poses like a Gundam figure or something, VERY dramatic, so many choices - though now I do wish he had a gun, it'd just make him cooler.

No ROTF? Not even gonna be picky and get a few good ones? Not even Sideswipe, the 2010 concept Corvette? I'm gonna be picky but I will not be able to pass that one up, and a few others.

So, what did you think of this new Dinobot figure? It's not clear if you are referring to the new fig or not.

Do you own Transmetals 2 Cheetor? That figure sucks worse than this one in many ways. Other than that, I'd say you're spot-on.

Thanks, I am very curious about Swindle because I haven't seen anybody else complaint about that.

JT, unfortunately it looks like you have a bad Swindle as mine doesn't have any of the QC issues you mentioned. The lower chest panel can come undone but the two notches on the side as well as the discs around the hips should hold it in place quite well. From seeing it on the show, I never liked the head design to begin with but my main criticism would be his height. Or lack thereof. Compared to just about every other TFA figure, he's just a short little runt and the large head tends to distort the bad proportions. I had him on the shelf next to Blurr and it looks like Blurr could beat him to a pulp!

From looking at the designs for TFA Perceptor, I think his toy might turn out very similar - SUV w. huge microscope on top. Huge head as well.

Transmetal 2 Cheetor is the one where you fold out side panels for the rocket jets thus leaving a huge gap in the body, correct? Mine was a funky repaint version - dark magenta-ish so it's not a figure that I ever held in great esteem.

As for TFU Lakers variant Dinobot, I'd probably give a B- for many of the same reasons that you listed, JT. Too many panels, raptor head pops off easily when I transform it to bot mode, one side of the raptor mode has an excessive amount of screws showing, limited articulation in bot mode and raptor mode, thorax kibble. (Speaking of that, I think it looks better with the bot hands out.) However, bot mode, despite non accurate colors looks pretty good. I'll have to try the sword from the older Dinobot.

For ROTF, maybe just one or two. Maybe Sideswipe and Jetfire but I'm not planning on investing heavily into the line.

Chaddymac
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
...From seeing it on the show, I never liked the head design to begin with but my main criticism would be his height...

...Transmetal 2 Cheetor is the one where you fold out side panels for the rocket jets thus leaving a huge gap in the body, correct?...

Actually, that's Transmetal Cheetor. Transmetal 2 Cheetor had a rocket on his back and looked vaguely werewolf-ish, ala Gingersnaps.

Also, I LOVE the Swindle head, if only because the light piping reveals cat-like irises. That's a really nice touch.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't have a problem with my Swindle. He's perfect. Might just be a QC issue.I bought another Swindle, it also had QC issues, different ones, so I frankensteined the old arms onto the new one and returned the original to Target as defective. Oh, and I also noticed that the grille on the first one I got had been assembled wrong, with the top half on the bottom so it didn't match the way the new one does. But the new one has weak, droopy shoulders and backpack hinge, and the bot stomach plate doesn't align properly in alt mode. If I liked this mold more, I'd go after a 3rd pass, but I don't so f' it.

I also love Dinobot. I'm not sure why people have found reason to complain. He's a better match for the animation model on both robot and beast mode (though I do wish he had the spinning tail weapon instead of the launcher, and the longer bone sword). Has anyone tried taking the original bone sword from BW Dinobot to see if it fits inside the tail yet? I may have to dig mine out of storage to test it out...He's got ugly yellow gold and purple secondary colors, alt mode has kibble issues, his torso doesn't hold together all that well, the raptor head doesn't go into the chest well, the knee articulation is limited, the alt mode only looks good from the right side. Those are reasons to complain.

I don't think the longer sword could fit, that one went past the tip of the tail proper, this new version has nearly half the tail a solid fold-away piece.

Transmetal 2 Cheetor is the one where you fold out side panels for the rocket jets thus leaving a huge gap in the body, correct? Mine was a funky repaint version - dark magenta-ish so it's not a figure that I ever held in great esteem.No, that's TM1 Cheetor, one of the funner molds. TM2 Cheetor is... well, it's this: http://tfu.info/1999/Maximal/TM2Cheetor/cheetor.htm

(Speaking of that, I think it looks better with the bot hands out.)
Whoa, why? To me it looks like something punching its way out of his gut.

Chaddymac
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
He's got ugly yellow gold and purple secondary colors, alt mode has kibble issues, his torso doesn't hold together all that well, the raptor head doesn't go into the chest well, the knee articulation is limited, the alt mode only looks good from the right side. Those are reasons to complain.

I fixed the raptor head/chest problem on mine, though it required a sharp knife. I cut grooves into the plate that holds the robot head so that the raptor head can hinge further. Once i got the raptor head in far enough, the spring plate wasn't strong enough to pop it back out. Now, he looks great and it doesn't affect the beast mode at all.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Hmm, not sure what you mean there. Can you take photos?

Here's what I don't get about Hasbro TF designers, they could have simply sculpted the back of his head to match the dino design, then turn the head around. But instead, they go through this convoluted spring-loaded panel, then they make a channel it's supposed to go in, then they add or move the screw set and it ends up creating a gap that catches the panel which they didn't actually need in the first place. Can you really tell me anybody would have been miffed by a camouflaged head back design?

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 10:05 PM
It's like the dang Dinobot toy was listening to me and decided it needed another knock against it. It's sitting here on my laptop off to my side near the floor when I hear a slight "click", and I know what it means, the stupid sword has fired into the tail. I look down and sure enough, the tail has pushed itself open slightly. Now the button won't contain the sword at all, I was able to get the tail to stay closed but the sword/missile won't stay in the launcher. And let me tell you, this spring is REALLY strong compared to most of the weak firing TFs out there.

Hasbro QC: run by accident.

figrin bran
02-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Now that Hasbro has officially revealed the ROTF toys, I think I'm only going to buy Sideswipe.

I don't like "Devastator" at all and certainly not enough to spend $100 on the combiner set. And apparently, it's just non transformable vehicles for the combiner. There are also transformable "Constructicons" but they cannot combine.

Animated Arcee doesn't look bad and I'll look forward to getting her.

Adam
02-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Well. Looks like after I get the remainder of TFU, my only other TF purchase for the foreseable future will be MP Grimlock. More money to spend on Gundam models I suppose..

figrin bran
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I just got Universe Inferno today! A must buy for everyone!

Tycho
02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Does ActionFigs have the pics of the ROTF toys up yet? I have a lot of threads here on SSG I'm participating in, so one site at a time for me...

plasticfetish
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
so one site at a time for me...No excuses. You've got a new kidney, and you should have plenty of energy to use your mouse-clicking finger to look and see what's over at that site.

Just curious... have you had any craving to watch a Cubs game yet?

figrin bran
02-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Tabbed browsing is the way to go, Tycho!

Tycho
02-17-2009, 07:40 AM
No excuses. You've got a new kidney, and you should have plenty of energy to use your mouse-clicking finger to look and see what's over at that site.

Actually now I've looked at DST Star Trek and Playmates Terminator stuff. I want to see Playmates Star Trek stuff, but basically, I already have from online ordering sites that posted pics.

Last but not least, I want to see the Transformers toys coming out for the new movie. I've seen some, but crave seeing the rest.

Incidentally, I do not have more energy after the kidney transplant. Mostly because I suffer from insomnia and my doc wants me to get so tired that I cure it myself rather than add another pill to my regimen of nearly 40 pills a day as it is (19 different medacines though).

When I stop being so tired, I bet I'll feel much better.

Just curious... have you had any craving to watch a Cubs game yet?

Not really. But I used to live near Chicago back during high school and the Cubs were (still are) my Grandpa's favorite team. I don't know the players nowadays though. Padres fan here - except I'm not sure if I'll know any of their players this season until things get underway in April - or maybe later. I like going to live games and don't watch much baseball on TV.

El Chuxter
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Any Classics beyond Ratchet, or is that the end for that line for now?

Chaddymac
02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Any Classics beyond Ratchet, or is that the end for that line for now?
Interesting you ask that quesion as there's been some debate about that - Hasbro has claimed that there will be 10 releases in Universe in the deluxe line this year. Even taking into account the fact that we've had a few hit retail already (Cyclonus, Cheetor, G1 Starscream, Dinobot, Smokescreen, Hound/Ravage), and we know that Hot Shot and Ratchet are coming, that still leaves 2 unknown figures. My bet is on Red Alert (from the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold) and something else we haven't heard of yet that I can't think of.

El Chuxter
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Red Alert would make sense, as would Jazz. They're both in the Legends size, and could be easy retools from existing molds. (Sure, people would complain that the original Jazz had legs facing the other way, but....)

Chaddymac
02-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Red Alert would make sense, as would Jazz. They're both in the Legends size, and could be easy retools from existing molds. (Sure, people would complain that the original Jazz had legs facing the other way, but....)
I'd actually complain more about not using a new head mold than the legs facing the other direction, but that's just mii.

El Chuxter
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
A new head would be a pretty easy change, though, without affecting the basic structure. Then again, they had no problem altering Sideswipe to give Sunstreaker a somewhat more G1-accurate transformation.