PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Adam
06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
So yeah Prime was pretty badass. I am probably going to breakdown and get the leader Prime.. and HA Bumble Bee. I was thinking about Sideswipe, but I think I'll wait to see how the HA one turns out.

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm glad I got Leader Prime when I did. I have a feeling they are going to start flying off the shelves now that the film is out.

So anyway, I saw it earlier today, and I will list my thoughts in the movie thread.

After the movie I picked up another Deluxe Ravage at WalMart.

Adam
06-25-2009, 12:24 AM
For those that have leader Prime, do his arm blades seem a little short? It seems like it to me from pictures and its bothering me enough that I'm rethinking the purchase.. the blades were a big reason I was going to get it.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2009, 12:30 AM
I think the blades are very proportional to his arms and the rest of his body, based on the movie. The blades are probably somewhere around the 3" mark or so, give or take.

It's an awesome figure though. I can't recommend it enough.

Tycho
06-25-2009, 05:22 AM
I concur! I love having Leader Class Prime from ROTF. I'm going to put the 2007 in truck mode and love his one as my prime Prime action figure! :D

Tycho
06-25-2009, 01:06 PM
UPDATE: I opened and transformed MixMaster.

I like him. He's a threatening looking 'bot but I wish there was something you could do transformation-wise with his rear sets of double wheels that hang off his arms.

I'm really glad to have the Constructicons.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I picked up Titanium Thrust at Target today. I love this figure.

Tycho
06-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I opened and transformed Rampage (the bulldozer) today. I am somewhat disappointed.

This is not a fun toy.

He come apart easily and doesn't snap together into place correctly when you transform him. I don't think he'll break, but I don't recommend this toy for kids.

Rampage does look cool like a crab droid from ROTS or something in robot mode.

I saw JediTrick's Rampage before I opened mine and still am making the choice to keep my own. I don't regret it. He displays well, but Rampage was not my best purchase. Too bad, because a bulldozer is sort of an exciting Constructicon offering.

Thus far, I think MixMaster is the best Constructicon out there right now.

I guess a Voyager Long Haul will happen - and he's likely going to be the best altogether (of the Constructicons), but I'd really like to see a Voyager Scrapper and a Deluxe Hightower or Scavenger.

I'm still getting that giant non-transforming Devastator, I think. He'll be handy to display the Constructicons' vehicle modes and as the combined Devastator, too.

Adam
06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
I picked up Titanium Thrust at Target today. I love this figure.

Oooh I forgot that was coming. I am actually kinda of tempted to use this to replace the botcon Thrust I never got, kinda like how Titanium Thundercracker stands in the for Classics verson. How much are they this time around? Last Titaniums were like $20 bucks at Toys'R Us.

figrin bran
06-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Mixmaster does look a bit tempting, I do have to admit. There is also a G1 green repaint coming and so I don't know which one I would buy, if any at all. The green one looks better in alt mode to me but robot mode on the movie version looks better.

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 12:47 AM
JediTricks, I opened Voyager Megs earlier this afternoon. Here are my thoughts:

I really like him. He is not a perfect toy by any means, but for the Voyager pricepoint, he really works. The thing I like most about him (and this is just something I like personally) is his green and silver fading. The coloring on him makes his details really stand out.

There is some kibble on his back when you have him in robot mode. The wings from tank mode fold back, so they are exposed back there when you have him standing up. That is only noticable when you have him posed to the side though, so its not an issue.

For a Voyager toy, his proportions are very good, and his gimmicks don't really get in the way. This helps to make for better posing as well.

Overall I would give it an 8 out of 10.Thanks for the info. I ended up buying him as well and will post my review in a moment.

As far as transformation, it was fairly easy. I had a little bit of trouble getting him back into tank mode because a couple of the tabs on his legs were tough to line up, but it wasn't time consuming at all.You mean the ONLY tabs on the whole toy? :p

It apparently applies to all of the original 13 (including Vector Prime) as well as Unicron and Primus. It IS pretty goofy, and ultimately confusing.NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Vector Prime, really? He suuuucked! Primus and Unicron I can accept, but VP? That guy was so lame. And now they're different roles in different universes with the movie making The Fallen pretty different, but it's the same guy from the other universe? And they've killed Unicron twice yet without mention he just springs back, does that mean all of the original 13 are immortal across dimensions? Man this is a mess.

So Thrust is coming to the movie line as a repaint of Breakaway. Now there's a toy I might buy depending on how compatible he might be with Universe seekers. I feel dirty for considering that Thrust figure after such a disappointment with Breakaway, but I'll probably buy it anyway because the head and colors and new wings.

Target exclusive Superion has been really tempting to pick up everytime I'm at Target but he seems too puny. And at the risk of sounding like Tycho, if the planes were deluxes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.I have the originals of that mold, it's fun but not outstanding. Still, the set looks decent and is an ACTUAL combiner unlike Devastator, so if you have the funds and don't have the original, you may wanna check it out.

I opened and transformed Rampage (the bulldozer) today. I am somewhat disappointed.

This is not a fun toy.This is what I told you when I brought him to your place, but you and Halley were like "but he looks cool, I like him". I decided not to press the issue.

Once you've monkeyed with him enough, the only parts that come off regularly are the dozer blade halves and even that is manageable. However, the chest pistons regularly flop about even when you lock it down in either mode (robot mode doesn't lock so much as wedge).

Oooh I forgot that was coming. I am actually kinda of tempted to use this to replace the botcon Thrust I never got, kinda like how Titanium Thundercracker stands in the for Classics verson. How much are they this time around? Last Titaniums were like $20 bucks at Toys'R Us.Oops, I forgot to check the price. I saw them at Target as well, Thrust and Hot Zone. They are $21 on the website.

So, here's my Voy Megs review:

I had wanted a Megatron figure to go at least against my m1 Voy Prime.

Alt mode:
Megatron is a cybertronian tank, which means he's got treads and a cannon and is otherwise a big tangled mess of plates - oh, and Megatron's head at the very front between the treads peeking out behind a cage. Adding to the mix are jet elements, there are thrusters and stubby wings; the rear of the vehicle seems to be large jet engines, but they are mainly hollow and look more like closed, spring-loaded feet (and yet they aren't). Sculpted details are plenty, but feel a little shallow. The tank's overall look is wide and sleek and round, it borrows more than a little from Batman Begins' The Tumbler, especially the front end. The cannon pivots up and down, and can rotate on its Z-axis so it could look left or right as well (but not up at the same time). The whole thing rolls on 4 small wheels under the treads, minimal ground clearance but the wheels do roll. And the vehicle is fairly solid.

That all sounds good, right? Well, unfortunately, all is not paradise. While exciting at first look, a closer inspection reveals some ugly truths, the greebles on the front of the cannon are warped and its red projectile looks like a club, there are big cuts into the tops of the larger set of tank treads, the whole thing is slightly off-center and not in an intentional manner, a lot of the look comes from 2 panels on arms floating out at the front, and the vehicle mode is mainly a single big shell piece sitting on top of a robot doing a yoga pose. The color is a grayish, greenish, bluish affair with a few touches of a mettalic version of that (which looks a lot better than the plastic version), lots of black, a little silver, gold, and red translucent accents. The silver is sprayed only in a few places as a true accent, and there just isn't enough to go around.

All in all, I like the alt mode for how it looks and what it's trying to be (fast flying tank? cool), but I am frustrated by what it truly is, which shows when you keep looking at it.

Transformation:
Surprisingly, the shell is held on by just 2 pegs on either side into the tenuously-attached treads, unpeg them and the once-solid tank is now ready to flop apart by your command. It's a rather basic transformation, rotate the treads around and fold a few ways, fold the shoulders out, flop up the back kibble, and rearrange the neck a little. There's just not enough going on for a $20 figure. And considering how little is going on, why have the backpack vague or leave no stops for the toes or right shoulder? And I really hate how the right arm just folds around like Megs is holding it behind his back in alt mode, very lazy.

Robot mode:
This is a small voyager-class figure, putting him next to voy OP is embarrassing, Megatron is over a head shorter, standing just 6.5" tall. On his own merits, it's more silver spray on gray-green, a few bland gray plastic joints and such, a moderately-detailed chest with a lot of cutaways, a giant right arm, a tiny left arm, digitigrade tank tread legs, and a wide backpack/cape that used to be a flying tank. The whole robot mode looks simplistic, like a FAB or something designed for younger kids who won't be dropping $22 on this thing. A Decepticon logo ends up on his right front thigh armor, it feels out of place. Megs gains an uncovered face of sloppily-applied silver, gold, the gray-green plastic, and red. The face is a little more recognizable than the M1 version, but it looks like he's smiling which is offputting (he's actually got a mouth full of pointy teeth and then it's supposed to be separate plates next to that, but the cuts look smiley), the eyes have the eyebrow line, and the eyes, mouth, and sides of the face are light-piped. The figure is designed to sit the head right onto the body with no neck, which makes him look more kiddified, but it can be raised up to look acceptable. The left arm is the tank cannon, and it's small with the cannon opening vaguely pretending to be robot fingers. The right arm is a big, vaguely crab-like affair that's sculpted to be a cannon with a big movable crab-thumb, but the cannon is a tad underwhelming. The chest is pointy things with a few small cutaways revealing caramel gearing inside. The body tapers down to the waist, and then the hips and legs are uniformly big and chunky and limited in detail. The thigh armor is made up of spring-loaded panels front and back, the leg itself is the fatter tread now bent in the middle ending at a separate toe piece, and with the smaller tread jutting out the back as a heel. I like the tread-legs, it's what sold me on the whole concept really, but it doesn't quite impress as much in person, and the toes far too often end up flipping up which looks silly.

The back has a big hollow near the top that's ineptly covered by the face-cage halves. There is a shameless amount of backpack shell attached by a hinged panel to the lower back, which officially folds halfway up to stick far out and fold back on either side. The official Hasbro instructions say to fold the backpack shell halves all the way back, leaving you with more backpack than figure. If you fold out the sides back out, you could call this a cape, it juts out about 30 degrees back like a cape in the wind, but it reveals how little of an actual torso is there. You can fiddle with it so that the backpack sits up as high as it goes and closer to the body, this is "angry winged" mode I guess and it works for that, adds a lot of width and bulk and danger, as well as bringing the cape closer, but it's still blatantly a big piece of kibble. Honestly, the best thing to do is leave it where it started, fold the sides partway back, giving you a cape that holds against the body and hiding Megs' lack of back. The alt-mode "tongue" which normally would fold all the way into the cape can be used to hold the cape upright in any of the 3 positions by folding into the back gap.

Mech Alive:
The inside of both biceps is cut away to reveal the internal peg's details, which change as you rotate them, but this gimmick is pretty flat. The main MA gimmick is that when you turn the waist, the caramel gears in the chest all rotate. To me, this is just stupid, it requires peering into Megatron's chest to see it, and all you get is some over-scaled gears turning and an obviously hollow chest that cheapens the figure. Finally, there's the right arm, straighten the elbow and from his cannon forearm folds a blade. It's a nifty exercise, but the end result is a rather underwhelming green-gray plastic blade with silver spray on some thin supports. I think the biggest problem is that the blade itself is not much to look at, they gave it the same sculpt as the rest of the arm, and the angle makes it seem underwhelming. So it's more fun to scissor out than actually leave out. If I didn't mention before, the left arm is a spring-loaded missile launcher, the missile translucent red and has a bit of a scepter thing going on, but not really in an exciting way.

Articulation:
Megs is fairly articulated, but not in a satisfying way. The head sits flat and officially has no articulation, but raise up the neck and he has a semi-limited ball joint on a hinge giving him a decent range of motion (just don't raise the neck too high or it looks terrible). The shoulders are universal joints, but they end up rotating on transformation joints more than on official robot shoulder joints, making him look odd. Upper arms swivel, elbows hinge (the right elbow hinges all the way to 155 degrees, it looks cool, and it's a generous ratchet so it's easy to have sword out or sword in at any angle), the right thumb is hinged. Waist rotates, backpack is on a dual-hinge plate and has hinges just off the center panel with a few movable winglets here and there. Hips are universal joints, ratcheting sideways and "frontways". The upper thigh rotates, and the digitigrade knees are on limited hinges backwards. The leg articulation doesn't work well with the rest of the figure thanks to limited range and non-movable heels, so ultimately Megs isn't all that poseable.

Overall: C
There's something about every aspect of this figure that says "almost". The tank looks exciting at first but doesn't have much going on. The transformation is bland and way too simplistic. Robot mode is small and not impressive, looking more like a kiddie toy than a $22 Transformer. The bot mode is saddled with odd proportions and a big backpack of kibble, underwhelming moving gimmicks and detailing, and suffers weak articulation. I guess he could be somewhat menacing when put next to smaller figures, but the lower body doesn't share that opinion. The deco isn't hideous, it's cold but it's not silver enough, so while it works in tank mode, it's pretty bland and underwhelming in robot mode. "Underwhelming" seems to be this figure's mantra, it's not horrible, just not good either.

Adam
06-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah I just saw on another forums that they are $20.99. This sucks, but I also read that Target is supposed to have some coupons in the toy ailse next week, one of them being Buy two and get 10% off.. so I may try that if the Titaniums are effected by that.. but its probably RotF stuff only. There's also a buy a RotF game and get a scout free... I kinda want the PC version so hopefully that applies.

figrin bran
06-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah I just saw on another forums that they are $20.99. This sucks, but I also read that Target is supposed to have some coupons in the toy ailse next week, one of them being Buy two and get 10% off.. so I may try that if the Titaniums are effected by that.. but its probably RotF stuff only. There's also a buy a RotF game and get a scout free... I kinda want the PC version so hopefully that applies.

Actually, those are the coupons I was talking about in post #3486 of this thread. I got those on the endcap this past Sunday and they are good on any Transformers purchase. However they expire on 7/11 so you have to act quickly on them.

Adam
06-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Totally missed that, sorry!

Just saw a repaint of TFU Leo Prime, dressed up more like Leo Convoy... actually looks kinda good. The mold still kinda stinks though.

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60046

figrin bran
06-26-2009, 01:54 AM
No worries! This thread has really picked up momentum lately and so posts can get buried within a day.

Tycho
06-26-2009, 02:40 AM
You know why the Masterpieces are so good (most of the time)?

Tomy-Takara waits until they've designed something really good before they issue a toy.

We only have a few molds:

Optimus Prime (poorly re-used for Ultra Magnus)
Starscream (re-used for Thundercracker and Skywarp)
Megatron
Grimlock

I think they ought to tackle a triple-changer like Blitzwing or Astrotrain, possibly Springer (but his car-mode needs to change and be a contemporary earth vehicle).

I'm sorry to say but I don't know if Transformers can be treated like any other regular toy movie property and have a cheap "line" rolled out for each movie.

BTW, in the store I've noticed Ratchet has been improved upon. The ROTF one supposedly has an arm cannon to his left. The axe is still on his right as it was before.

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Yeah I just saw on another forums that they are $20.99. This sucks, but I also read that Target is supposed to have some coupons in the toy ailse next week, one of them being Buy two and get 10% off.. so I may try that if the Titaniums are effected by that.. but its probably RotF stuff only. There's also a buy a RotF game and get a scout free... I kinda want the PC version so hopefully that applies.I have the coupon sheet, it says "Any Transformers Purchase" on the top sheet, and says "Transformers products" on the actual coupons, no limitations mentioned to even toys, much less a specific line or brand. The coupons work online as well, the codes are:
TF2STR02
TF2STR03
TF2STR04

Adam
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Interesting.. have to think about that.

figrin bran
06-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I think they ought to tackle a triple-changer like Blitzwing or Astrotrain, possibly Springer (but his car-mode needs to change and be a contemporary earth vehicle).

I'm sorry to say but I don't know if Transformers can be treated like any other regular toy movie property and have a cheap "line" rolled out for each movie.

And yet you're going crazy over the ROTF "cheap line"? :confused:

Tycho
06-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I totally went on a(n) (unsuccessful) hunt for Leader Class Jetfire this morning - on like 4 hours sleep. Uggh.

I'm going back to bed soon if I can.

The movie line's not bad at all. There are some gems like SideSwipe and HA BumbleBee especially!

Adam
06-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Today, pictures popped up of a possible Binaltech/Alternators Bumble Bee. It's transformation seems very similar to the Classics BB, but at a larger scale.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/alternators-10/binaltech-prototype-bumblebee-images-168026/

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Today, pictures popped up of a possible Binaltech/Alternators Bumble Bee. It's transformation seems very similar to the Classics BB, but at a larger scale.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/alternators-10/binaltech-prototype-bumblebee-images-168026/
Link doesn't work.

Adam
06-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Must have been taken down. Sorry.

*Edit: Actually it turns out to be fan made, but was first reported as being an official prototype.

If you still want to see it the thread was moved here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/243584-fan-made-alt-bt-bumblebee.html

JediTricks
06-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow, it's very nice. Simplistic bot mode but effective.

Tycho
06-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I opened Mudflap, Skids, and SideSwipe today.

SideSwipe is easily the best because he is sleek, a Corvette, and a warrior - not to mention a G1 nostalgia character.

But Mudflap is better than Skids. I like his transformation better (they are different, not repaints) and Mudflap fires a missile. Skids has some kind of spring-loaded punching hand. It works well, but I just love firing missiles better.

Now I am watching Premium Format Ironhides on eBay. They seem to go for about $41. I'll pay $45 plus s&h I guess - but that robot mold was stretching it to say it was even worth the $20 stores ask for Voyagers. I don't know if the PF ones cost more, but I wasn't in the market for it in 2007. Now here we are in 2009, I want a black Ironhide again, and I'm not really into a tan "desert" Ironhide with decales that were never seen on him during the movie.

JediTricks
06-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey gang. The next round of Q&A is only 2 weeks away, and we have 3 question slots to fill. Please participate in the TF Q&A thread, the odds are good you'll get your question asked. http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=684321#post684321

figrin bran
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I saw Mixmaster the other day and if according to some, Universe Inferno isn't worthy of Voyager class, Mixmaster seems even less so. The alt mode looks Deluxed sized to me!

JetsAndHeels
06-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah, Mixmaster is kind of a small figure...I am glad I got him though.

Tycho
06-30-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm very glad I got MixMaster, too.

figrin bran
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
And I'm glad to be saving money by not buying anymore movie toys :p

Adam
06-30-2009, 12:35 PM
universe inferno isn't worthy of voyager class

lies! All lies!

JediTricks
06-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I saw Mixmaster the other day and if according to some, Universe Inferno isn't worthy of Voyager class, Mixmaster seems even less so. The alt mode looks Deluxed sized to me!That is how I feel about both, actually. I doubt I'll own either.

Saw The Fallen at Target yesterday, I can't remember the last Voyager-class figure packaged in robot mode.

Adam
06-30-2009, 09:51 PM
SILENCE! Inferno is awesome!

Anyway.. another fan company called Master Mind Creation is making a Heart of Steel Optimu- I mean "Knight Morpher Commander." Kinda neat.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/all-news-21/mmc01-knight-morpher-commander-heart-of-steel-optimus-168044/

Also the Superion upgrade set is starting to ship.. must resist.

figrin bran
06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Adam, for the record, I loved Universe Inferno. It's just a certain someone around here that doesn't.

Hmm...I may want to check out the Superion upgrade. I've been holding off on buying it and since it's on sale this week...

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I found the new wave of scouts at WM today. I picked up Scalpel.

Also my local family dollar store had a Transformers Universe Sharkticon figure for 10 bucks so I grabbed that.

Tycho
07-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Saw The Fallen at Target yesterday, I can't remember the last Voyager-class figure packaged in robot mode.

I got boxed pictures of Voyager Long Haul and he will also be packagedf in robot mode, curiously enough.

JediTricks
07-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Devastator has been reviewed in video and pics:
http://forums.tformers.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=115090

Dude likes it but all his arguments come off like it sucks, and he even admits it's only worth about half what it's MSRP is.

It sure doesn't look that big next to Bumblebee or combined Optimus Prime (his Prime has a fantastic custom paintjob).
SILENCE! Inferno is awesome!Everyone says that, but never makes a convincing argument for why he's $20 awesome.

Anyway.. another fan company called Master Mind Creation is making a Heart of Steel Optimu- I mean "Knight Morpher Commander." Kinda neat.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/all-news-21/mmc01-knight-morpher-commander-heart-of-steel-optimus-168044/

Also the Superion upgrade set is starting to ship.. must resist.I think I see why Hasbro is getting so upset. The fans deserve this stuff and go to any lengths to get it, and someone else makes money, it's partly Hasbro's fault but the end result is someone making money off their investments.

Adam, for the record, I loved Universe Inferno. It's just a certain someone around here that doesn't. Again, no frame of reference to love it. I don't own it, I don't see a reason to drop $20 on it, that's a problem. It looks very standard, but while that's fine for a deluxe, it's not for a voyager.

I got boxed pictures of Voyager Long Haul and he will also be packagedf in robot mode, curiously enough.
Hmm, I hadn't seen him packaged, but I was planning on getting him either way.

Way too many good figures are being held back for post-July waves it seems like.

Tycho
07-03-2009, 11:55 PM
These look to be from TheArker.com. I don't know if I should be reposting them, but I gave the correct site credit.

Human Alliance SideSwipe, Human Alliance Skids, and Voyager Long Haul.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm looking forward to getting Long Haul. Can't have too many Decepticons!!

JediTricks
07-04-2009, 12:29 AM
All 3 sets look good in package, but that pose on Long Haul slightly diminishes how good the robot looked in person.

JediTricks
07-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Here's a look at the still-not-confirmed new Arcee, which may or may not be a Scout class figure but is definitely different from the Human Alliance and Deluxe ones (article has links to those others as well): http://tformers.com/transformers-another-iteration-of-revenge-of-the-fallen-arcee-figure/11925/news.html

The joints on that figure are definitely scaled to Scout-class. The robot mode looks better than the deluxe, which is kind of pathetic when you think about it.

Chaddymac
07-05-2009, 01:18 AM
I was at the Burbank TRU this afternoon and picked up an HABB. Someone else picked up the other one while I was there (are you on here?). Anyway, I too will add my praise to this awesome figure, who is fantastic with or without Sam.

To anyone else who has HABB, are you having trouble like I am with getting his chest to stay in place in robot mode?

Tycho
07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
To anyone else who has HABB, are you having trouble like I am with getting his chest to stay in place in robot mode?

No. Everything's fine here now. How are you?

Actually, HA BumbleBee is so close to being Alernator quality that he easily makes my best Transformer purchase of the year.

I want HA Barricade (confirmed), SideSwipe (shown), Skids / Arcee (shown), Rampage (not even rumored), Sideways (not even rumored), Ironhide (really wishful thinking), Optimus Prime (beyond Hasbro's accecptable cost-range, I'm sure).

figrin bran
07-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I guess I'll be buying Swerve, the red repaint of movie Sideswipe to make up for Sideswipe not being red in the first place.

JetsAndHeels
07-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I guess I'll be buying Swerve, the red repaint of movie Sideswipe to make up for Sideswipe not being red in the first place.

Same for me, but Sideswipe was all kind of kick booty in ROTF. He is also one of my favorite of the deluxes.

Tycho
07-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I want my Leader Class Starscream THIS YEAR instead of next year. (No, I still haven't seen pics of him, but will do so at Comic Con - or heck, Hasbro might have the actual toy).

I want a Leader Class Blackout (or call him Grindor - whatever).

I want a Leader Class (or at least Voyager class) BoneCrusher. (There was a mine clearing vehicle that looked just like him in ROTF's desert battle scene, too - but he probably got wasted by Ironhide, Ratchet, or Sideswipe.

I want a Human Alliance Ironhide with Mjr. Lennox.

I want a Human Alliance Mudflap with Simmons.

I want a Human Alliance (Decepticon) Rampage with (prisoner) Ron Witwicky.

I want a Human Alliance (Decepticon) Sideways with ally Alice (in human form).

I want a Scout Class Arcee.

I want it all and I want it right now!

JetsAndHeels
07-10-2009, 04:12 PM
I want that Leader Class Starscream too.

I would have preferred Hasbro made him available now, instead of Jetfire.

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Human Alliance Sideswipe and HA Skids & Arcee:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/a-new-look-at-human-alliance-sideswipe-w-sergeant-epps-and-skids-w-mikaela-and-arcee-168110/

Sideswipe's alt mode looks so cool, I love that gull-wing door. Bot mode is only fair, there's something simplistic, and the swords look crappy.

Skids looks whatever, it's bulky as hell. Arcee looks ridiculous, they actually mangled the vehicle mode to make it stand up, and it looks like the Chromia body, not Arcee.

Darth Metalmute
07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I was at my local Toys R Us today and finally saw the HA Bumblebee. I took it up too the register and it rang up $34.99. I told the employee at the register that it couldn't be right. She looked it up and confirmed the price. I ended up putting it back.

Please tell me that's not the correct price. I realize TRU charges a slight bit more but I figured it would have been $19.99 tops.

JediTricks
07-10-2009, 09:58 PM
It's MSRP is supposed to be $29.99, not $19.99.

Chaddymac
07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
IMHO, worth every penny.

Tycho
07-11-2009, 03:56 AM
Yes. The Human Alliance BumbleBee is actually worth what they are asking for it (About 30). You get a Voyager sized figure ($20 anyway) and an articulated action figure (usually about $8 nowadays). To tool them up and articulate them that much costs the same whether they are little figures or 3 3/4". So just buy him because BumbleBee will probably never be a clearance sale item.

Voyager Optimus Prime is no where around here anymore. Obviously we finally got a movie that was a fair deal about HIM, and kids and everyone really took to liking him. This Optimus is the only really affordable on in a mainline toy (besides Legends I guess - if you call that mainline).

But anyway, figuring that Hasbro will probably NOT make a Fallen Leader Class figure, (since The Fallen never transforms in the movie anyway) I thought I'd get Megatron and Optimus in Voyager Class and finally open my Fallen figure and set up a battle. (Voyager Class Starscream remains a possibility, too). But maybe it's not important to set this up and I should just return my Fallen figure? To have Revenge of The Fallen dioramas but no figure of The Fallen?

Maybe The Fallen will have some behind-the-scenes footage on the DVD extras, like a conversation with Michael Bay between takes, the minasucle evil director explaining to the giant evil robot that they had to cut his character-developing exposition scenes to make room for more explosions in the movie and keep it under 3 hours of pyrotechnics?

figrin bran
07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
It looks like they've raised prices on ROTF toys at Target. Deluxes are $13.09 while Leader class is 51.99!

JetsAndHeels
07-12-2009, 12:43 AM
It looks like they've raised prices on ROTF toys at Target. Deluxes are $13.09 while Leader class is 51.99!

That sucks!! Good thing I have everything I want until the next waves show up.

JediTricks
07-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Which Target? Some of the local stores in our area charge more than others and more than national.

Either way, it's patented bullcrap.

figrin bran
07-12-2009, 01:46 AM
JT, the $13.09 Deluxes are everywhere - La Brea, Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank. I was out at Valencia Target yesterday and am pretty sure it was thirteen and change there as well.

The $51.99 Leader class was at La Brea though I didn't really check at the other stores.

JediTricks
07-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Wow, that is grade-A horse****. This line isn't even doing well enough to make that move.

figrin bran
07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Oops, correction, that's $13.69 for Deluxes at La Brea. Of course, all they have are Wheelies.

Adam
07-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Wow. I'm glad I don't really want anything right now. Those prices suck.

El Chuxter
07-13-2009, 12:56 AM
If Wheelie didn't sound like Joe Pesci, and, instead, said silly rhymes like, "Friends find, look behind," would he be pegwarming this hard?

Classic Wheelie may be the least popular character in G1, but his last figure still eludes me.

JediTricks
07-13-2009, 03:36 AM
Oh geez, that is even MORE expensive, ridiculous!

Darth Metalmute
07-13-2009, 07:53 AM
It's MSRP is supposed to be $29.99, not $19.99.

That seems a little high for a plastic Transformer of that size. But I guess it's been a while since I have bought one. The last Alternater (metal) I bought I thought was around that price.

IMHO, worth every penny.

Yes. The Human Alliance BumbleBee is actually worth what they are asking for it (About 30). You get a Voyager sized figure ($20 anyway) and an articulated action figure (usually about $8 nowadays). To tool them up and articulate them that much costs the same whether they are little figures or 3 3/4". So just buy him because BumbleBee will probably never be a clearance sale item.

I guess I better go back and pick him up. It looked from the packaging and the pics on the internet like a really well done figure.

Chaddymac
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
If your Alternator had metal, it wasn't an Alternator, it was a Binaltech. And I never saw a Binaltech for less than $50.

JetsAndHeels
07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
A forum member on another site I frequent has found the devastator set at a Target in Colorado. He also reported seeing the next wave of deluxes.

I don't plan on buying that devastator, but I am interested in finding the new deluxe figures.

Darth Metalmute
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I wen to pick up HA Bumblebee and they had one of this figure. Its the airplane that releases Optimus in the opening of the movie. I don't remember seeing any pictures of this one and thought it was weird since my area TRU hasn't even gotten wave 2 of the voyager figures. Seems like a pretty cool figure that comes with a mini-fig of Optimus.

JetsAndHeels
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice find on that Stratosphere figure.

Let us know if it's worth the purchase.

JediTricks
07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
That seems a little high for a plastic Transformer of that size. But I guess it's been a while since I have bought one. The last Alternater (metal) I bought I thought was around that price.Unlikely, all Alternators were $20 and had no metal (aside from screws and such). The japanese Binaltech were more expensive even without import pricing.

Cool find on Stratosphere, I had hoped to find him on the big sale Target was having, as he's got some wonkiness in the reviews I've seen, but I'm still looking forward to buying him.

figrin bran
07-14-2009, 12:49 AM
JT, there were Stratospheres at La Brea Target during the sale week. I just didn't think anyone would want it.

Darth Metalmute
07-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I probably mis-spoke of the metal, but what were the alternators made of? it's gotta at least be a better form of plastic.

I didn't end up picking up Stratosphere as I was purchasing the HA Bumblebee and 60 dollars was to much mid-paycheck. I probably should have put HA Bumblebee back since there were six of those and only one Stratosphere. I still might do that a lunch, see if it is still around.

Chaddymac
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I probably mis-spoke of the metal, but what were the alternators made of? it's gotta at least be a better form of plastic.

I didn't end up picking up Stratosphere as I was purchasing the HA Bumblebee and 60 dollars was to much mid-paycheck. I probably should have put HA Bumblebee back since there were six of those and only one Stratosphere. I still might do that a lunch, see if it is still around.
No, I think they are the same quality all around. Detailed, good transformation, solid modes, quality materials. The HA interior is less detailed due to the parts inside, but otherwise pretty on par. Admittedly, it is more expensive, but factor in the action figure and inflation and it's about right for 29.99.

figrin bran
07-16-2009, 12:55 AM
The remaining Transformers Animated toys that were previewed at Botcon have shown up with listings on KMart's website. I really hope that they aren't exclusive to them.

Tycho
07-16-2009, 06:53 AM
I ordered Reverb (Scout Class Motorcycle) and Voyager Prime and Megatron (the former is vhtf in stores now) from HTS. (Most of them will fight The Fallen since he will never get a Leader Class figure (it makes no sense - he didn't transform in the movie and the toy's alt mode is as bad as 1st movie Leader Megatron so why make this even larger and more expensive? LC Blackout or BoneCrusher would be better alternatives).

I didn't have a discount code, but all was retail price and shipping was only $8 - I figure I'd burn that in gas looking and don't want to waste my time doing that anyway.

Also, HTS had Leader Class Jetfire but he's out-of-stock right now. I'll have to watch that though. WHY is Jetfire's LC more expensive than Optimus or Megatron's? I know they could get that price considering the situation in brick-and-mortar stores right now, but Hasbro charging $4 more? Strange.

JetsAndHeels
07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Reverb is a cool figure. He is basically a repaint of Knock Out, but I really dig his coloring, and he is a decepticon so that's basically a win for me.

About that LC Jetfire...not sure why he's more online, but at retail where I have seen him the cost is the same.

Tycho
07-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Reverb is a Decepticon? Ooops. I wanted to use him WITH Knock Out, chasing Sideways.:rolleyes:

And it figures: Target had Voyager Prime back in stock this morning.

Maybe I'll cancel my order with HTS?

JetsAndHeels
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Yep, Reverb is a 'con. You should still get him though, he's very cool.

If you don't have Scalpel already, I recommend him also. I have my Sam figure from HA Bumblebee use him in microscope mode!!

The scouts are definately some of my favorite figures from the ROTF line.

Tycho
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I saw JediTricks' Ransack, the old-fashioned bi-plane. It is by far the best one!

I think Knock Out is the only Scout I own. I'm looking for another Scout Motorcycle, but it must be an Autobot. I think the Human Alliance Arcee will be the right size.

JediTricks
07-16-2009, 03:12 PM
H.A. Sideswipe pics:
http://www.wretch.cc/blog/akaolu/27171540
Yowza! The backpack is ugly, but damn if that toy doesn't look cool, and that vehicle mode looks perfect.

What's with the hinged nose?

JT, there were Stratospheres at La Brea Target during the sale week. I just didn't think anyone would want it.
RATS!!!

I probably mis-spoke of the metal, but what were the alternators made of? it's gotta at least be a better form of plastic.Not that I could tell, it seemed to be regular TF plastic, just thicker because the tooling designs were originally for die-casting metal. Yellow plastics in Alternators still had awful bleed-through from colors behind them. Actually, now that I think about it, Alternators had some parts made from a different plastic because those parts were super brittle and often risked breakage.

The remaining Transformers Animated toys that were previewed at Botcon have shown up with listings on KMart's website. I really hope that they aren't exclusive to them.Expect that to be the case. Kmart has a strong relationship with the TF brand right now.

I ordered Reverb (Scout Class Motorcycle) and Voyager Prime and Megatron (the former is vhtf in stores now) from HTS. (Most of them will fight The Fallen since he will never get a Leader Class figure (it makes no sense - he didn't transform in the movie and the toy's alt mode is as bad as 1st movie Leader Megatron so why make this even larger and more expensive? LC Blackout or BoneCrusher would be better alternatives).

I didn't have a discount code, but all was retail price and shipping was only $8 - I figure I'd burn that in gas looking and don't want to waste my time doing that anyway.

Also, HTS had Leader Class Jetfire but he's out-of-stock right now. I'll have to watch that though. WHY is Jetfire's LC more expensive than Optimus or Megatron's? I know they could get that price considering the situation in brick-and-mortar stores right now, but Hasbro charging $4 more? Strange.Did you try the one-time-only Transformers code of TF2009?

Reverb is a Decepticon? Ooops. I wanted to use him WITH Knock Out, chasing Sideways.:rolleyes:Yeah, Reverb is a Decepticon, but you can probably scrape the logo off.

And it figures: Target had Voyager Prime back in stock this morning.

Maybe I'll cancel my order with HTS?Yeah, that one isn't too hard to find in my area. HTS is a pain in the butt because they charge tax in this state as well as their high shipping.

Tycho
07-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Voyager Class Optimus Prime is made cheaply and has a handful of parts that fall off of him. His best redeeming value is that he is the same scale to The Fallen and the only Starscream released as of yet.

I'd avoid him unless you are a Transformers diorama builder.

The Fallen is what he is: an action figure for diorama filler. I've never transformed him, but is there really any reason to?

Darth Metalmute
07-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Nice find on that Stratosphere figure.

Let us know if it's worth the purchase.

I got paid yesterday and went back to see if Stratosphere was still there.
He somehow still was, so I picked him up. However, after seeing that the new Star Wars Legos were in finally, I ended up putting him back again after a tough decision. The thing that broke the decision was Stratospheres legs/feet. The vehicle mode is cool, and the figure from the waist up is really neat looking. The feet are the hull of the plane and are huge, Sideshow Bob-ish. Yet they are connecting by what looks like one screw each, meaning if you get one with a weak/loose joint it's not going to stand up.

If anyone in the Toledo area wants Stratosphere, I left him behind the Classic G1 Optimus Prime's at the Reynolds TRU.

Thanks to everyone who talked me into the price of HA Bumblebee. I haven't even transformed him yet and he is by far the best transformer I've gotten since the Ultimate G1 Prime a few years ago.

JetsAndHeels
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
The Fallen is what he is: an action figure for diorama filler. I've never transformed him, but is there really any reason to?

No, there is no reason to even try to transform him. I tried it with mine, but it was a total pain. In robot mode he's pretty nifty, so in robot mode he shall stay.

Darth Metalmute, I can understand your issue with Stratosphere's feet. That is the main reason I have not purchased him.

Glad you got that HA Bumblebee after all. Best ROTF purchase I have made besides Leader Prime.

Tycho
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
In robot mode he's pretty nifty, so in robot mode he shall stay.

I like The Fallen's "mech alive" feet that automatically adjust to whatever surface you have him posed standing on.

Glad you got that HA Bumblebee after all. Best ROTF purchase I have made besides Leader Prime

Amen to that!

Darth Metalmute
07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Glad you got that HA Bumblebee after all. Best ROTF purchase I have made besides Leader Prime.

My only complaint about HA Bumblebee is they didn't put the seats on a hinge so they could fold down against the arms.

Tycho
07-18-2009, 06:43 AM
I got Leader Class Jetfire tonight! He's awesome!

I went downtown to the Padres game for dinner at the ballpark and then made some new friends and wound up in the Hard Rock Hotel's night club until waaaaay late. Then when I got my car back I thought "what the heck?" and I checked two Wal-Marts on my way home. On my 2nd stop, I got very lucky! They probably had 3-4 of him and the rest Optimus or Megatron, so Jetfire is going to move into those stores rather slowly as the other Leaders have to sell through to move the inventory.

I am so glad I found him. The top of his head AND his eyes light up when he talks (like an Aussie-Cybertronian). Of course he says, "I am JETFIRE!!!!" just like Optimus and Megatron leave no question about who they are either.

Just to be different, I want a talking Skids or Mudflap who say "I am retarded!!!" :D (But I liked them in the movie, myself.)

Mvader91
07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I got Leader Class Jetfire tonight! He's awesome!

I went downtown to the Padres game for dinner at the ballpark and then made some new friends and wound up in the Hard Rock Hotel's night club until waaaaay late. Then when I got my car back I thought "what the heck?" and I checked two Wal-Marts on my way home. On my 2nd stop, I got very lucky! They probably had 3-4 of him and the rest Optimus or Megatron, so Jetfire is going to move into those stores rather slowly as the other Leaders have to sell through to move the inventory.

I am so glad I found him. The top of his head AND his eyes light up when he talks (like an Aussie-Cybertronian). Of course he says, "I am JETFIRE!!!!" just like Optimus and Megatron leave no question about who they are either.

Just to be different, I want a talking Skids or Mudflap who say "I am retarded!!!" :D (But I liked them in the movie, myself.)
Found a Jefire myself freakin awesome fig. I agree i thought skids and mudflap were pretty funny as did audiences every screening i've seen. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Voyager Class Optimus Prime is made cheaply and has a handful of parts that fall off of him. His best redeeming value is that he is the same scale to The Fallen and the only Starscream released as of yet.

I'd avoid him unless you are a Transformers diorama builder. What parts are falling off him? I have one of the repaints of this mold from the first movie, the only part that comes off is one of the shoulders during transformation if I use it as leverage to move the surrounding panel. But in robot mode or vehicle mode, the parts stay on with mine.

The Fallen is what he is: an action figure for diorama filler. I've never transformed him, but is there really any reason to?From the pictures I've seen, no.

Tycho
07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
What parts are falling off him? I have one of the repaints of this mold from the first movie, the only part that comes off is one of the shoulders during transformation if I use it as leverage to move the surrounding panel. But in robot mode or vehicle mode, the parts stay on with mine.

Those panels that sort of move as his mech-alive thing - they're kind of on the sides of the truck cab - well they transform right off my transformer and then I have to figure out which way they go to re-attach them.

JetsAndHeels
07-18-2009, 01:47 PM
The only Prime I bought from the first movie was the robo-vision one from Target. Not a bad figure, except for some minor issues with his feet.

Leader Prime from ROTF however, awesome figure. I can't say it enough, he is definately my favorite piece from this line. Hasbro will have to do something very spectacular if they hope to top this one when the 3rd film comes out.

JediTricks
07-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Buster Prime is the Japanese Leader-class Prime from this movie with a premium deco and extra parts that combine to form a big buster cannon. The deco on that figure blows the existing US version out of the water, and the gun is cool. Check it out here, but hurry as that photo from the Japanese toy show have a "no photographs" sign right on the image:
http://tformers.com/transformers-transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-hit-tokyo-toy-show-2009/12018/news.html

Those panels that sort of move as his mech-alive thing - they're kind of on the sides of the truck cab - well they transform right off my transformer and then I have to figure out which way they go to re-attach them.That's odd, the Automorph panels on mine only popped off once, to which I found that there was an assembly flaw. Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that! I literally remembered it while typing the first sentence there, looked it up and sure enough: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=607756&postcount=2672
So what happened on mine was pretty unusual, a metal friction pin wasn't fully seated and came out.

On yours, either you're doing the Automorph wrong (it's not entirely intuitive) or perhaps the mold is deteriorating with use or maybe they changed plastics, and the friction bumps holding the panels onto their hinged struts aren't doing their jobs. But yours is the first one I've heard having this problem, so perhaps yours has too much mold-release oil.

The only Prime I bought from the first movie was the robo-vision one from Target. Not a bad figure, except for some minor issues with his feet.That's the same mold, it's just that this is 2 years later and the 3rd repaint of that mold. I also mentioned the feet, great minds are thinking alike as usual. :D

JediTricks
07-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Wave 4 deluxes have been found at Target in San Diego. http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/revenge-of-the-fallen-wave-4-deluxes-found-at-us-retail-168161/

Tycho
07-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Haha. That's the MiraMesa Target right near where my sort-of-girlfriend lives. (She's not my imaginary girlfriend because if she was, I'd imagine she lived over at the beach.)

JediTricks
07-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Now wave 5 has been sighted as well. Chino Hills Target, they also had the new Magnaguard Fighter SWTF.
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/251524-rotf-deluxe-wave-5-found-southern-cali.html

At this rate, Hasbro's going to burn through their whole '09 TF line before the summer ends.

Tycho
07-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks but no thanks to Hasbro.

MY future (somewhat fantasy) Transformers purchases:

2 Leader Class Starscreams
1 Voyager? (or Deluxe?) Class Long Haul
2 Leader Class Blackouts (or Grindor)
1 Scout Class Arcee
1 Scout Class Mudflap
1 Scout Class Skids
1 Ultimate Devastator

1 Human Alliance Barricade
1 Human Alliance Rampage (w. Ron Witwicky)
1 Human Alliance Skids
1 Human Alliance Mudflap (w. Simmons)
1 Human Alliance SideSwipe
1 Human Alliance Ironhide (w. Lennox)
1 Human Alliance Sideways (w. Alice)

JetsAndHeels
07-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Haha. That's the MiraMesa Target right near where my sort-of-girlfriend lives. (She's not my imaginary girlfriend because if she was, I'd imagine she lived over at the beach.)

Well then tell her to sort-of get over there and buy you some loot. :)

figrin bran
07-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Target has a great G1 shirt on sale this week for a mere $5! It has Optimus, Bumblebee, Hot Rod, and Grimlock!

El Chuxter
07-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I got that last week for $7.50, and got them to refund the difference today. It's sweet, especially at that price.

JediTricks
07-20-2009, 11:53 AM
And now the next wave of Voyager figures has been found, the one with Long Haul.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/revenge-of-the-fallen-voyager-wave-5-released-at-us-retail-168165/

Tycho
07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks. I need Long Haul.

JediTricks
07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks. I need Long Haul.
And I need to be a millionaire to get all this stuff.

figrin bran
07-26-2009, 11:42 PM
I saw the Ice Cream Truck, Jolt and Blazemaster at Target yesterday.

Tycho
07-27-2009, 05:12 AM
I got Long Haul tonight. Very good quality. His spring open blade weapons are great!

JediTricks and I went Star Wars hunting at 2 Wal-Marts down here in San Diego. They got a ton of Transformers (new stuff - especially in Deluxe like Arcee (JT got her) and the Ice Cream Truck.

I also bought a Legends Mudflap to be on-scale with Devastator. I'm now looking for Skids.

We saw the red 'vette, with these figures, too.

Adam
07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
The red vette? Swerve is out?

TheDarthVader
07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Can someone help me out with something? How many 25th anniversary figures has Hasbro made? I have the optimus prime and am getting the comic con soundwave. Are there any more yet? (Not counting the takara encore figures.)

Adam
07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Perceptor and the Insecticons will be hitting sometime in the fall.

Tycho
07-30-2009, 03:35 AM
At Comic Con, Hasbro revealed that they are making Human Alliance Mudflap with S7 Agent Simmons.

However, he will not come wearing his signature S7 jockstrap.

JetsAndHeels
07-30-2009, 08:15 AM
However, he will not come wearing his signature S7 jockstrap.

And that is something we are all thankful for. :)

Adam
07-30-2009, 03:22 PM
My eyes still feel a burning sensation from that part of the movie..

Chaddymac
07-30-2009, 07:31 PM
2 HABB's at TRU Burbank. Didn't hide them because they seem to be trickling in all over the place now. Had it been HASS and this would've been a different post, though.

Adam
07-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Saw one of those today finally. Looks pretty neat, but I decided not to buy any rotf stuff, even swerve so I passed.

Tycho
08-01-2009, 04:08 AM
I saw the Toaster-bot (Scout Class). Pretty funny if you ask me.

figrin bran
08-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I saw the $100 Devastator at Target and TRU today.

Tycho
08-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Ooooh. I gotta get that!

JediTricks
08-03-2009, 03:41 PM
The red vette? Swerve is out?Yessir, 2 per case unlike Arcee who is 1 per case.

So, during Comic-Con I picked up a number of figures at local stores, as Tycho said, and saw even more. Here's what I picked up and my thoughts...

scout Dune Runner - decent, though my fellow fans are overselling this figure a bit. Better than most scouts, but bot mode isn't all that great looking and articulation feels hampered by other stuff.

dlx Arcee - a little more stable in both modes, but shocking pink color is harsh. Bike mode feels a little unfinished on the right side, but mainly good. Bot mode is another weirdy but solid and better design balance. Still not a recommendable toy though.

dlx Dead End - not quite as good as I hoped in bot mode, tolerances don't hold stuff together as well and colors a little noisier than expected, but still decent. Alt mode looks great. Sideways is the better of the 2 though.

dlx Blazemaster - nice alt mode but uuuuugly colors. Transformation is a disaster, instructions are beyond useless. Bot is gappy in the midsection, has terrible arm articulation and non-hands (a thumb surrounded by 2 panels, horrible), a few panels that won't decide where they want to go, the rotors become sloppy kibble that's no fun. Awful, avoid at all costs.

voyager Long Haul - very cool in both modes, very accurate too. Big vehicle, big bot, very good articulation, heavily armored, nifty. Good sculpting, solid, deco is a little minimalistic but adequate. Swords are whatever but not a huge drawback. Mech alive gimmick in chest simple but works. All around winner.

Tycho
08-04-2009, 11:55 PM
The funny thing is that when JT and I went shopping (we're both in our 30's like probably a majority of the people who post here) - we met these two guys that work at Wal-Mart who were probably in their 50's who were collecting Star Wars. We spent a while talking with them. It was so different to see this age group involved as well - as it's much more common to watch kids get into it like we did when we were little.

JediTricks
08-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Only 1 guy was an employee, I think. And they were into GI Joe as well as SW.

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Here are some of my mini-reviews of some, not all, of my recent acquisitions...

Long Haul (voyager)
This figure seems a little like a "mature" version of Energon Demolishor, which is a good thing, but he's not as much a hunch back and he has no missile launchers.

Alt mode: giant earth mover. Green. Detail from the front is very good, from the sides it's a little cut away to reveal bot mode if you look for it, but it gets away with it. Truck bed can tilt up, nice touch. Fairly solid. Big.

Transformation: lots of big chunks moving about, almost no panel action, plenty to do. Seems simple in theory, but execution keeps you busy.

Bot mode: nearly perfect iteration of concept art. Big brawler type of guy. Odd fat bird mouth. Undocumented Mech Alive feature, turn head and a gear in the chest turns, foolish coloring on that gear is black. Kibble isn't too bad, the dually wheels end up over the shoulders like turbines, the truck bed ends up on back, pegs down, but rear section becomes buttflap. Only real problem is that there's a big rollbar up above the figure's head that juts up and out to the front which is a little odd but no dealbreaker. Wrap-around bumper on legs is very clever. Arm kibble reveals spring-out clear blades, fat with hooks and tf glyphs. The clear color does them NO favors unfortunately, and this guy seems too bulky to bother using swords. Color is green with green and some more green, no weathering though which would have made it 100% accurate to concept art. Big.

Articulation: decent, most of what you'd need for a bot. No swivel wrists or movable fingers, no movable waist. The 2 sets of moving pistons on each elbow is cool though.

Overall: A-
Fairly satisfying voyager-class figure that's also pretty accurate. Deco could have used weathering, hands could have used a little more articulation, top kibble could have been movable, cockpit could have been whole, but for what it is, it's pretty nifty.
--

Blazemaster (deluxe)

Alt mode: Dauphin news helicopter in dark blue, gold, and white. Garish. Landing wheels fold up, nose sticks and requires excessive force without folding flat. Big blue window in front but secondary non-clear windows unpainted. Lots of seams, nose doesn't want to finish the last 2% of the transformation. Rotor has spinny gimmick. Mostly kibble-free except trench on the underside.

Transformation: these may be the absolute worst instructions they've ever done, and that's saying quite a bit. There are so many moving parts shown from the wrong angles and flipping about, nothing seems like it should go in a specific place, it just kinda stops and hovers there hoping it's done. The panels around the head are the worst, they don't go out as far as the Hasbro pictures think they do, and they flop about. The shoulders don't really make enough sense since the articulation is neutered but the joint could be doing more. It's just a huge mess of a transformation.

Bot mode: ugh, this is no good. The "hands" are just kibble panels with a thumb. The elbows are limited articulation, the shoulders don't make much sense and don't move, the core is hollow, the back tabs over the spine in a tenuous manner, the tail becomes a backpack in an interesting but unsatisfying way, the legs are spindly chicken legs. It's just lame lame lame, lots of halfassery and limited points of articulation. Still ugly coloring too. And it's not entirely stable. The rotor comes apart to clip half onto the other forearm for no apparent reason, no fun at all and it easily drops out.

Overall: D
The Dauphin helicopter mode is alright, but ugly coloring and I don't think I've ever seen one used as a news chopper. Transformation is a miserable, confusing chore. Bot mode is a lazy mess that would be incompetent as a scout, so is downright shameful as a deluxe.
--

Dead End (deluxe)
When I first saw dlx Dead End at Botcon, I thought it looked amazing and way better than Sideways from which it's retooled. Then I bought Sideways on a whim after being shown the alternate transformation, and that figure became awesome, so the tides turned.

Alt mode: same as Sideways in sculpt, of course. Glossy deep black plastic and paint really dazzle. The black wheels with red stripe coupled with the red racing stripes and dark purple tinted windows give this more of a tuner look than Sideways' factory look. Dead End's tail lights are painted to have a clear definition between the reverse lights and brake lights, nice touch. The dark gray Decepticon logo on the front of the driver door is a nice subtle touch.

Transformation: it's the same exact transformation as Sideways, but there's an issue. The alternate, superior backpack transformation on Sideways used a little friction to hold those tabs onto the very narrow slots, and on Dead End they have smoothed out this area so the backpack easily unpegs with the slightest nudge.

Bot mode: Throwing the darker maroon and gold-caramel colors from the G1 character into the mix has made this a very different bot, but it's more of a visual tangle than I was expecting, and reflects more upon Sideways than I had hoped, not in a positive way (it looks more like Sideways if he wasn't as good). The torso with its single silver paint stripe seems pretty barren, and the arms only have red plastic with a few gold bits (the small detail panel on the left forearm is painted copper) with the black gearing almost impossible to see inside the arms. The silver saw on the right hand seems lost next to the silver fingers, so I swapped it with Sideways' black saw which was lost on his black arm, the swap was very easy and helps them both. Dead End's dead is a movie take on G1 heads, I guess, it's blocky and has a big reddish-pinkish translucent grille visor that lightpipes like crazy, followed by a sizable dark gray jaw, and stick-out gold red & gold ears. The head seems wrong for this sleek body, more of a bruiser's head, but the arms were already like that so if you play with the doorwings and a few other bits it can make a bruiser upper body out of that, though the legs remain spindly and bird-like. The neck-plate doesn't seat as well as Sideways and there's a bit more visual gap from the side as well, I think it's more about the colors than anything. Frustratingly, the figure has a harder time standing, and the head doesn't tilt up at all so it's a little frustrating getting him to stand.

Articulation: Same, although the neck doesn't look up that crucial 3 degrees which hampers things. The shoulder joints are much tighter here and work against the inner transformation joints quite horribly.

Overall: B-
I wanted to like this remold better, but in person it doesn't quite deliver as well as I hoped. The colors and new head don't really go with the sleek black alt mode too well, and there are some joint tolerance issues holding this back. Between this and Sideways, definitely go for Sideways.

Tycho
08-09-2009, 05:07 AM
I got Devastator from Wal-Mart tonight: $107 after tax.

Wal-Mart wanted to sell me a Product Protection Plan on him even :rolleyes:

I haven't opened him yet, but in Try Me packaging, Devastator talks and growls, probably says "I am Devastator!" (just in case we get him confused with Wheelie) and his mouth opens wide enough to swallow a Legends or maybe even a Scout Class figure.

I'll update this post after I open him and do some transforming of his components.

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Today's the last day to get a question into the TF Q&A, so if you haven't posted yet in that thread, do so now: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=38950

I got your phone call about Dev. I was busy sleeping. I cannot fathom why you're so eager and excited on this one.

Every figure that's Leader-class or bigger says its name this year, it's kind of stupid, like they think that $45 Optimus isn't iconic enough or is some sort of baby's toy.

Target jacked up the price on Leaders to $52. No chance in hell now Target jerks!

Received my Human Alliance Bumblebee from HTS finally, the same day I find one at Target for the same $30 price, d'oh! Nice figure, Tycho has his transformed wrong, with the last step not done (the back window folds up against the roof). It's got some issues, but I'll get into that later.

Picked up scout-class Dirt Boss, could be in scale with HA BB which is pretty funny. Likable design but some issues hold it back from greatness.

Tycho
08-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Actually, in messing with Devastator, he says a few things like "I am THE Decepticon!" or something and "Crush the Autobots!" plus he laughs and growls.

Wow. A few more speeches that sound like they were written by Grimlock.

When I open him, I'll see if Legends Class Mudflap is in scale to Devastator before I open Mudflap. The Deluxe Class might be better. I'm not sure yet but haven't opened anything yet either.

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 05:28 PM
No, Mudflap legends is probably a little too big, like 25%, so Deluxe would be about 500% too big. I think that Legends purchase you made will fit the bill for your needs though, and when Skids comes out in the next wave of legends, you'll have your diorama.

Tycho
08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I also bought Scout Dune Runner to go in the diorama - and possibly purchase multiples of him, just to use as other vehicles (not Cybertronians) in the scene.

Like I said, nothing is open so I can return what won't work. I can always buy a few Matchbox cars if need be. Hot Wheels tends to make mostly sportscars.

Tycho
08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Scavenger - way too big. I think that a 7-vehicle team could have averted this problem.

Mixmaster - again, way too big.

Long Haul - way too SMALL! This dumptruck should be huge - larger than Mixmaster's cement mixer, I'd think. Instead he's Deluxe size when at least the standard figure is a Voyager.

HighTower - wasn't he in Police Academy? Well, he's fine. I'd say that either a Deluxe or Voyager would satisfy him having an individual figure. Probably a Voyager would work.

Scrapper - he's too big. This should be a Deluxe figure if he gets an idividual one made.

Rampage - he's fine. His Deluxe figure is also about right.

I'd have had Long Haul form an arm of Devastator if they were going to make him so big. They have claws for hands underneath HighTower. They could have done the same with Long Haul if they wanted Devastator's arms to be bigger than his legs (sort of ape-like if you ask me). But then the movie and toy designs wouldn't correlate.

The Legends Class Mudflap (and later to be released Skids) are the correct size to fight Devastator. The Deluxe would be too large, except next to Scavenger and Mixmaster.

Devastator only looks to be assembled in the packaging. He's not. Which makes him easier (cough-cough) to remove from the box.

I have now transformed all the components to vehicles. They are really, really simple transformations probably with the intentions that a child could do it, and not just one of those 35-year-olds-going on 5 years old who might splurge to buy this thing.

Overall I don't regret my purchase, but I'm not as excited about it as Human Alliance BumbleBee or Leader Class ROTF Optimus Prime.

JediTricks
08-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I also bought Scout Dune Runner to go in the diorama - and possibly purchase multiples of him, just to use as other vehicles (not Cybertronians) in the scene.

Like I said, nothing is open so I can return what won't work. I can always buy a few Matchbox cars if need be. Hot Wheels tends to make mostly sportscars.
Dune Runner seems too big for Dev, but I like him next to Starscream or even Long Haul, that's closer to their scales and there aren't enough regular bots in the scout-class size this time around.

Remember, Hasbro makes $4 Hot Wheels-sized cars from the film, if you want accuracy and don't mind spending $4 for a Hot Wheels car.

Long Haul - way too SMALL! This dumptruck should be huge - larger than Mixmaster's cement mixer, I'd think. Instead he's Deluxe size when at least the standard figure is a Voyager.Long Haul is an earthmover, about 20 times as large as a regular dump truck, so he should indeed be WAAAAAAY bigger.

I have now transformed all the components to vehicles. They are really, really simple transformations probably with the intentions that a child could do it, and not just one of those 35-year-olds-going on 5 years old who might splurge to buy this thing.You guys are always complaining that new figures are too hard to transform, well here ya go. ;) Nah, I'm kidding you, I saw how painfully simple that thing was, it's ridiculous. And they have some nerve asking $100, I bet we get another Queen's Naboo Starship debacle and it drops to $50 or $60. That box was a $50 figure in the last few years, and those were more complex than this sounds to be.

Tycho
08-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Well, I put Devastator together and I have robot-mode Mudflap and vehicle mode Dune Runner as prisoners in his claws. I took pictures of the Constructicon set in both modes. I'll post them when I download my camera.

Overall, I'm glad I bought this set.

I'll be getting a Legends Skids when they make him, and probably buying 2 more Dune Runners to use as military vehicles, and possibly a Desert Brawl Deluxe figure. Otherwise I may look to those military vehicle replicas.

But so far as yet, all the things in my Transformers dioramas are actually Transformer-brand toys. Not that it matters: I use other line figures in my Star Wars dioramas.

Tycho
08-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Just got Human Alliance Sideswipe with Epps at Target. Will open him later.

figrin bran
08-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Just got Human Alliance Sideswipe with Epps at Target. Will open him later.

So what did you think of it?

It's one of the few upcoming ROTF toys that I'm actually considering purchasing.

I just saw photos of the red Powerglide Universe repaint. I'm not sure if I like it better than the grey one.

Tycho
08-11-2009, 12:32 AM
I think I'll get to opening SideSwipe tonight. Not sure though.

figrin bran
08-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Must not be that great then! :p

Tycho
08-11-2009, 01:31 AM
No. SideSwipe is sitting right over on my kitchen counter (boxed still) but I've been entertained posting online and trying to beat the LA Dodgers with my Padres on Nintendo. (I'm still losing, but only by 3 runs. I know which pitchers to throw at them now. I just need to change my batters. I even put Tony Gwynn Jr. in at 2nd base to surprise them. I am trying EVERYTHING to beat those darn Dodgers!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!)

UPDATE: I finally won and beat those Dodgers 4-3! .....and I opened and transformed SideSwipe.

SideSwipe is another great Human Alliance figure. He is not as good as BumbleBee in bot mode though. He has too much kibble on his back and it is too gaping wide for the space between the kibble and the rest of his body in bot form.

What's way cool is that you can slide his blade hands into a locking position so that when you turn the wheels on his arms, the blades spin!!! That is awesome! SideSwipe also launches a missile and has a double-barred shoulder mounted machine gun.

He gets as tall as BumbleBee - even taller if you include his doors - when you transform his wheeled feet properly. SideSwipe has breaks and foot extensions so he does not fall over.

The concept Corvette is so sweet! It blows every Alternator's car mode away except for the interior being cramped with transforming parts and therefore not as appealing in details.

I suspect when we finally see Barricade he could be done better, but Mudflap and Skids will have their challenges.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 02:15 AM
I picked up a few more TFs today: Ice Cream Twins, Scalpel, and HA Sideswipe. Here's my quick-take on the first 2, then a mini-review of the 3rd.

Ice Cream Twins: I couldn't resist an ice cream truck TF, especially this one, even though they still have those racist stereotype faces underneath. It's basically 2 kibbly scouts in 1 combiner, Skids is the more satisfying transformation and bot, while Mudflap is left with more kibble and less thought of what to do with it. I broke Mudflap's feet following the instructions, they don't flip up as claimed, but the break isn't major so I think he can stay with it. Both figures have spring-loaded heads during transformation, although Mudflap's head came deployed in package and it made NO difference to the alt mode (unless you count seeing it through the windows, which are otherwise kibble-free).

Scalpel: holy crap is this thing wild! It comes mistransformed in bot mode, a rather disappointing affair to be quite honest. Transforming back to microscope mode is a lot of "really?!?" but then it works (except for the housing halves that become the thorax, they pop off too easily and often), and you begin to see how friggin' crazy this guy really is. It's only once you get where stuff is supposed to go, how it folds away, what it does, where it couldn't be, and what the microscope becomes that you realize there's more going on. The microscope is great too, but then it's really transforming time, and time to throw away the instructions while you're at it because they're just dead wrong. The real bot that results is a bizarre, poorly-articulated, evil mantis of a robot, but he can really stand, he is fairly stable, and he's just indescribable. Definitely not for most collectors though.

HA Sideswipe:
Alt Mode: Concept Stingray Corvette, and it is sooooo sweet! Nearly perfect in every respect, even the brake disks are painted silver and the calipers painted red inside the wheels. The silver paint is a little richer but basically the same. The headlights are painted blue behind translucent clear, the brake lights red behind clear. The windows are dark blue. The exhaust pipes just clear for whatever reason. The lack of seams anywhere is a huge benefit to this alt mode, although it is a bit telling for bot mode. And for god's sake, the doors really swing-wing forward, and they do it so swank! The only let-down would be the rather spartan and kibble-laden interior, with Sgt Epps' butt hanging off the outer side of the driver's seat. I do like the little foot-wells created by the back of the thighs though, that's clever. Man is this thing sexy to look at, and in comparison to HA BB, it's about the same length and width, but a much more believable height (BB in alt mode is way too high). Sure, if you look behind the rear wheels underneath you can barely make out some arm kibble, same from the back, but you have to work to find it.

Transformation: Starting with annoyance of folding parts that don't really have clearance, moving on to big panel chunks, then some unfolding and then surprising levels of compaction. It's not a pleasant transformation and it leaves too much shell parts on the back rather than filling in the rear of the torso. Getting it back is a little easier right up until the arms have to go back in, then it's a real battle of wills.

Bot Mode: Oh Sideswipe, how I wanted to dig you more than this. The bot mode is narrow in the shoulders and hips, has "chunky" sculpting, low and weak articulation, and lacks the finer details that BB enjoys. The sculpt is fair, some nice parts, but a few too many simplistic parts detract from that, and why the face has a flip-up nose-mask I'll never get. There are some clever bits, like the real wheel feet that work (although the instructions leave out a step that I consider crucial, hinging the insole around), and the spinning hands/swords is fun in a "why is this here?" manner, but there's not enough going on it the majority of the bot mode. Unlike BB, there is only 1 spot for the figure to hang out on, the driver's seat which ends up just behind the head so he can man the shoulder guns. The other seat turns into a missile launcher he cannot use. There are pegs on the upper arms, maybe he's supposed to sit there, but I'm not buying it. The eyes are light-piped, they're painted blue over clear plastic again, it shines through though and mainly works. The legs telescope down, and then they telescope back in a little too easily, although you can neuter the rear traveling piston to act as a brace. The paint seems simplistic even though there are a few fine details. Oddly, the tailpipes end up hidden behind kibble around his back rather than acting as the mortar launchers behind his head as seen in the movie. So why do these pipes move here?!? The figure might have not had such a weak effect if there had been an actual torso behind the facade plate in front rather than a big, obvious gap. Also hurting are the narrow hips which just don't look right and don't move enough, and the weak shoulders that can't even stay upright all the way.

Overall: C+
I wish I could give this a better rating. The alt mode alone is damned fine, a true winner. The transformation is unsatisfying however, and the bot mode is fair at best, not as fun or detailed as HA Bumblebee. I sure do like that car mode though, and the bot mode has a nice Transformers panel look about it, but I can't in good conscience give it anything higher than that C plus.

figrin bran
08-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the HA Sideswipe review, JT.

I guess what I said earlier to Tycho holds true!

Must not be that great then! :p

At that price, I'd like something better than a C+

Darth Metalmute
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Scalpel: holy crap is this thing wild! It comes mistransformed in bot mode, a rather disappointing affair to be quite honest. Transforming back to microscope mode is a lot of "really?!?" but then it works (except for the housing halves that become the thorax, they pop off too easily and often), and you begin to see how friggin' crazy this guy really is. It's only once you get where stuff is supposed to go, how it folds away, what it does, where it couldn't be, and what the microscope becomes that you realize there's more going on. The microscope is great too, but then it's really transforming time, and time to throw away the instructions while you're at it because they're just dead wrong. The real bot that results is a bizarre, poorly-articulated, evil mantis of a robot, but he can really stand, he is fairly stable, and he's just indescribable. Definitely not for most collectors though.

I've seen Scalpel several times and have picked him up. All times I have ended up setting him back down. The microscope mode is the only thing I htought that looks good.

Speaking of techinical transformers, JT you added a while ago actual working objects that transform, i.e. usb card to ravage and mouse to grimlock. Do you know when or if the U.S. will see these items?

Chaddymac
08-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I've seen Scalpel several times and have picked him up. All times I have ended up setting him back down. The microscope mode is the only thing I htought that looks good.

Speaking of techinical transformers, JT you added a while ago actual working objects that transform, i.e. usb card to ravage and mouse to grimlock. Do you know when or if the U.S. will see these items?
Likely not. But you'll be able to import them from several retailers, including BBTS.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1997

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the HA Sideswipe review, JT. Sure thing!

I guess what I said earlier to Tycho holds true! Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ;)

At that price, I'd like something better than a C+I know what you mean, if I didn't dig the car so much and enjoy the idea of it transforming into a bot, it'd be a pass. But I love the alt mode so darn much.

I've seen Scalpel several times and have picked him up. All times I have ended up setting him back down. The microscope mode is the only thing I htought that looks good.If you like the idea of a microscope turning into a Decepticon Praying Mantis bot that's too wild, then it's a win. If you don't like the bot mode, it's a really hard figure to recommend though, but I didn't think I'd like the bot mode and turned out loving it, so it's one where if you get a chance to fiddle with one (or buy it from a store that will take a return), then it's worth a shot.

Speaking of techinical transformers, JT you added a while ago actual working objects that transform, i.e. usb card to ravage and mouse to grimlock. Do you know when or if the U.S. will see these items?So far, still a no. We don't have the Soundwave MP3 player or Rumble/Frenzy headphones or Optimus Prime trailer ipod dock either, unfortunately. Chaddy's advice about getting them from an import place is your best bet (consider supporting SSG by clicking the BBTS sponsor link on the front page), the new ones on his link are coming out around August 25th, I believe.

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 02:51 PM
A few updates on my HA Sideswipe review.

First, I need to take back what I said about the loose shoulders. It turns out that, although the instructions completely gloss over this, there are clips to hold the shoulder upright into the shell. This makes a considerable difference to the strength of the design. Now, only the left elbow is loose, the rest of the joints are very tight.

Second, there is a peg on each forearm which seems to be made to hold the hole in the back of the human figures, so they can dangle off Sideswipe's forearms for whatever good that does. But there's also a handle hidden inside the backpack kibble which is intentionally there for human figures to hold onto, it's even hinged. Very strange.

Third, also not mentioned in the instructions, but there are 2 tiny fold-out tabs on Sideswipe's midsection to give a wee bit more shape. Doesn't fill in the gappy back though.

Fourth, the instructions have the arms unfold too early, leading to a considerable amount of the frustration and clearance issues hampering the transformation. If you wait until a few steps later, the arms get much more clearance when they start.

Fifth, Epps is a really crummy-looking figure, the legs are too long and the torso too short so he looks like a Yuzzum.

Does any of this change the figure's grade? It might be hovering between "B-" and "C+", but it's still a big kibble backpack and still a hollow torso, still limited hip articulation, and still not a dazzling amount of detail, so for the price I've got to stick with my original grade.

Chaddymac
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
A few updates on my HA Sideswipe review.

First, I need to take back what I said about the loose shoulders. It turns out that, although the instructions completely gloss over this, there are clips to hold the shoulder upright into the shell. This makes a considerable difference to the strength of the design. Now, only the left elbow is loose, the rest of the joints are very tight.

Second, there is a peg on each forearm which seems to be made to hold the hole in the back of the human figures, so they can dangle off Sideswipe's forearms for whatever good that does. But there's also a handle hidden inside the backpack kibble which is intentionally there for human figures to hold onto, it's even hinged. Very strange.

Third, also not mentioned in the instructions, but there are 2 tiny fold-out tabs on Sideswipe's midsection to give a wee bit more shape. Doesn't fill in the gappy back though.

Fourth, the instructions have the arms unfold too early, leading to a considerable amount of the frustration and clearance issues hampering the transformation. If you wait until a few steps later, the arms get much more clearance when they start.

Fifth, Epps is a really crummy-looking figure, the legs are too long and the torso too short so he looks like a Yuzzum.

Does any of this change the figure's grade? It might be hovering between "B-" and "C+", but it's still a big kibble backpack and still a hollow torso, still limited hip articulation, and still not a dazzling amount of detail, so for the price I've got to stick with my original grade.
JT - you seem dissatisfied with your purchase. That makes me sad. I will make the ultimate sacrifice and buy him off of you. No need to thank me - everyone's a hero in their own way.

Tycho
08-17-2009, 03:00 PM
There were 2 HA SideSwipes in my Target this morning. (2 BumbleBee's also - must have just been stocked).

figrin bran
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
JT - you seem dissatisfied with your purchase. That makes me sad. I will make the ultimate sacrifice and buy him off of you. No need to thank me - everyone's a hero in their own way.

Or you could just buy the one on the shelves that I won't be buying. Sadly, I'm looking for any reason whatsoever to not buy ROTF toys these days. I've only bought 7 thus far and 5 of those were either Legends class or Robot Heroes.

Chaddymac
08-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Or you could just buy the one on the shelves that I won't be buying. Sadly, I'm looking for any reason whatsoever to not buy ROTF toys these days. I've only bought 7 thus far and 5 of those were either Legends class or Robot Heroes.
I've only bought two - Leader prime and HABB. I intend to buy all the HA's, because even if the figures aren't perfect, I think it's a line worth supporting (since it could potentially translate into broadening the line to other continuities - oh, who am I kidding? I just like the damn things). The only mainline figure I'm looking for is Scalpel and maybe the ice cream twins, but I refuse to hunt for them.

Tycho
08-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I've meant to post my comparison pictures of the Devastator / Constructicon set next to Legends Mudflap and Scout Dune Runner.

You can see here that Mixmaster and Scavenger are waaaay too big. Making Devastator a 7-Constructicons team might have resolved some of that.

Scrapper might be too big as well.

Strange choices by Hasbro because when you look at what they did for the individual robots, Rampage and Long Haul are the legs, but the first is a Deluxe and the second is a Voyager. And in real life, an earth-mover (dump truck) is way bigger than the bulldozer.

Tycho
08-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Now I, Retardicus Prime, command Mudflap to transform and attack!

But Dorkatron, also a role filled by me, orders the Constructicons to merge and form Devastator!!!

Tycho
08-19-2009, 02:17 AM
As I continue to make a dork out of myself (moreso than even as per what's usual) I'll post details:

(be sure to check the photos on the previous page if they did not display on this one, for better shots of all of Devastator and his component Constructicon vehicles vs. Legends Mudflap and Scout Dune Runner)

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 09:18 PM
JT - you seem dissatisfied with your purchase. That makes me sad. I will make the ultimate sacrifice and buy him off of you. No need to thank me - everyone's a hero in their own way.Way to throw yourself on the sword there, champ. :p No, I'm moderately happy with my purchase.

There were 2 HA SideSwipes in my Target this morning. (2 BumbleBee's also - must have just been stocked).Same here.

I've meant to post my comparison pictures of the Devastator / Constructicon set next to Legends Mudflap and Scout Dune Runner.

You can see here that Mixmaster and Scavenger are waaaay too big. Making Devastator a 7-Constructicons team might have resolved some of that.

Scrapper might be too big as well.

Strange choices by Hasbro because when you look at what they did for the individual robots, Rampage and Long Haul are the legs, but the first is a Deluxe and the second is a Voyager. And in real life, an earth-mover (dump truck) is way bigger than the bulldozer.Dang, scale is totally crap, worse than I expected even. Seeing Dune Runner and Mudflap in there is sad because they should play well in alt modes, but cannot when the combiner itself can't play well. I suggest sticking to bot modes for all concerned.

BTW, quick suggestion, when you're that close to the toys while photographing, put the camera into Macro mode. Most of your photos came out fine, but one of them is a little blurry. Cameras don't focus closer than a foot unless they're in macro mode.

figrin bran
08-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I saw two HA Sideswipes today.

And walked away from them. I like alt mode as much as the next guy/girl but I don't really like bot mode and that has nothing to do with JT's review. I also don't own HA Bumblebee and I like both modes but obviously not so much that I've felt compelled to buy one.

JediTricks
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Ok, so now we have yet another name for the 3rd motorcycle, this time Elita-One.

figrin bran
08-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Target.com has a tiered special deal on selected Hasbro toys currently whereby I could get Leader Class Optimus and HA Bumblebee for only $53 with free shipping.

I have until the 29th when the deal expires to decide if I actually want them or not.

figrin bran
08-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I bought Swerve yesterday. I haven't opened it yet however.

Darth Metalmute
09-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Likely not. But you'll be able to import them from several retailers, including BBTS.http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1997

So far, still a no. We don't have the Soundwave MP3 player or Rumble/Frenzy headphones or Optimus Prime trailer ipod dock either, unfortunately. Chaddy's advice about getting them from an import place is your best bet (consider supporting SSG by clicking the BBTS sponsor link on the front page), the new ones on his link are coming out around August 25th, I believe.

Thanks for the idea. I pre-ordered one from BBTS when I preordered the last titanium line from them. I'm disappointed that for that price its only 2 Gig, but it transforms into Ravage so it evens out.

figrin bran
09-04-2009, 12:46 AM
I saw Bruticus at two different Target locations today.

As I didn't buy Superion, I'll probably pass on him as well. I guess I was hoping the former would go to clearance but they never did.

JetsAndHeels
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Guys, I am getting tired of looking for the Ice Cream truck and having no luck. It seems wave 4 has been completely skipped in these parts.

Is there anyone on here who can find me the Ice Cream twins? I will pay the cost plus shipping. Thanks in advance.

Tycho
09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I wish I'd know J&H. I saw several the other day at my Wal-Mart, but I skipped them because this ought to be a Voyager figure in my opinion: the size of 2 deluxes combined.

Anyway, I just got Legends Skids (new- just released). He's on scale to Devastator, so I wanted him to make that scene.

Hey, so it's movie-accurate, would anyone else join me in petitioning Hasbro to make Devastator's testacles?

figrin bran
09-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Guys, I am getting tired of looking for the Ice Cream truck and having no luck. It seems wave 4 has been completely skipped in these parts.

Is there anyone on here who can find me the Ice Cream twins? I will pay the cost plus shipping. Thanks in advance.

I just saw one a few days ago too though I haven't seen one for weeks prior to that. The next one I see, I'll pick up for you.

JetsAndHeels
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I just saw one a few days ago too though I haven't seen one for weeks prior to that. The next one I see, I'll pick up for you.

Thank you very much.

El Chuxter
09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Hey, so it's movie-accurate, would anyone else join me in petitioning Hasbro to make Devastator's testacles?

No. I have no desire to see a Michael Bay figure.

El Chuxter
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Unless, of course, he's in a new, decent Mystery Men line, and comes complete with a brewskie.

Chaddymac
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I laughed so hard a little pee came out. Good show, Chux!

DarkArtist
09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
found the Twins Ice Cream truck the other day. haven't had a chance to transform it yet but happy that I finally have one.

looking forward to getting the Human Alliance version of Skids

JetsAndHeels
09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I am going to try my luck again this weekend and attempt to find the Ice Cream Truck. I have a little bit of hope now that it is starting to show up in more stores.

JetsAndHeels
09-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Well, I finally found it!!

I followed a tip from a poster on the Transformers forums, and drove over to Raleigh and sure enough, wave 4 was on the pegs. I got 2 Ice Cream Trucks (one to leave in truck mode and one to transform), Jolt, and Blazemaster. I also picked up Legends class Skids.

Also picked up the Darth Vader TF Crossover figure.

Figgy, thanks for the offer on getting me the Ice Cream Truck, but I now finally have it!!

figrin bran
09-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Cool, thanks for letting me know Heels and congrats on finding that Ice Cream Truck.

JetsAndHeels
09-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Cool, thanks for letting me know Heels and congrats on finding that Ice Cream Truck.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Tycho
09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
looking forward to getting the Human Alliance version of Skids

Me too. When is that supposed to be coming out?

SideSwipe is becoming ever more present in the stores.

I'm still tempted to buy 2nd figures of both him and BumbleBee to have one displayed in each mode, but it's not all that necessary.

I'm also eager to see pictures of the first Decepticon, Barricade with Frenzy!

I've never seen what that set is going to look like.

At Comic Con, Hasbro said they will continue with Mudflap and Simmons.

I'm hoping they'll take it further and do Sideways with Alice, Rampage with Ron Witwicky (prisoner), and maybe go all out and make Ironhide with Lennox.

More Decepticons would always be appreciated, too. Maybe Wheelie could be included as the mini-figure with one of them?

figrin bran
09-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Target has lowered the price on ROTF deluxes back down to 11.89. I guess they figured all those Wheelies weren't going to move at 13.09.

JetsAndHeels
09-26-2009, 03:46 PM
It's Saturday, rainy, and college football is on. What better way to enjoy some leisure time than to sit in the easy chair and open some toys?

I opened and transformed the following:

Ice Cream Twins x2
Jolt
Blazemaster
Dead End
Swerve
Arcee
Animated Sentinel Prime
Activators Fireblast Grimlock
Activators Soundwave
Star Wars Crossovers Darth Vader
Legends Sideways
Legends Skids

Cool toys...just hate having to clean up the trash. :)

figrin bran
09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
It's Saturday, rainy, and college football is on. What better way to enjoy some leisure time than to sit in the easy chair and open some toys?

I opened and transformed the following:

Ice Cream Twins x2
Jolt
Blazemaster
Dead End
Swerve
Arcee
Animated Sentinel Prime
Activators Fireblast Grimlock
Activators Soundwave
Star Wars Crossovers Darth Vader
Legends Sideways
Legends Skids

Cool toys...just hate having to clean up the trash. :)

J&H, that's a lot of trash generated indeed! Sometimes I'll go so far as to cut up the bubbles into much more manageable pieces.

JetsAndHeels
09-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I just put it all in an oversized trash bag and threw it away this morning on my way out.

I finally found Voyager Long Haul this afternoon. Rejoice!!

JediTricks
09-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, first up, questions for Hasbro are due in 1 week, so please post any real questions:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=38950

Sorry for my non-participation lately, I've been occupied with real-life stuff. However, I have been sticking in the game, here's all the TF goodies I got over the last MONTH (yes, it's been a month without me posting in here):

- Leader-class Optimus Prime. Birthday present. Robot mode is incredibly accurate, although perhaps a little wide, but nails everything. Having only 1 line is a disappointment, what were they thinking? The swords get in the way which is too bad, and not having a gun is odd. The hands being permanently stuck in that weak gun-holding pose is rough, but the figure has good articulation otherwise and stands quite tall. Paint is decent but the corners cut are a little annoying. The shrugging/stretching/yawning action doesn't wow me.

Transformation to alt mode is a bit of a chore, I'm not as annoyed by most transfans with it, but it's not satisfying as the M1 version and there are a few bothersome steps. Transformation to robot mode still isn't as "whole" as most, but not as annoying as to alt mode.

Alt mode is very realistic compared to the M1 version, a lot of detail and stuff, no kibble, not even on the underside really. There's a button on the back for rumbling sounds, I dig this, but again, multiple sounds might have been better.

Overall, decent to look at, even to pose, but not so much to play with.

- Nightbeat, from HTS. The repaint of Dead End (Scout) looked better to me, less toyetic, due to the deco so I waited. The alt mode doesn't quite align as streamlined as I'd like, but definitely looks less cheap than the red & black original. Transformation is ok, but a few elements get in the way and others don't lock down as well as they should. Bot mode leaves me a little cold, some good ideas but not quite landing together, and that head design fails me in so many ways. Fair, but not great.

- Ejector, from HTS. He's a wacky toaster-bot! Robot mode is ok, not quite as locked down in the shoulders as I'd like, and I just don't get the second pair of arms, but the movable mouth/upper-face is fun and he just has tons of personality. Transformation is fair for scout. Alt mode is ok, but the back seems like they neglected something.

- Jolt, from HTS. I got conned into thinking this was a good figure from some buddies on my TF board. It's pretty meh. Alt mode is boring and covered in seams. Transformation has stuff going on, but not quite as clever as it should be. Robot mode is boring and goofy looking and poorly detailed. Not a terrible figure, just an uninspiring one.

- TF:Universe Inferno, from TRU. No idea what this was doing out, but another figure I was nagged into getting by claims of how great it is. First thing out the gate is this sucker needs more deco, especially the clear bits, but just everywhere you look it's not quite enough. Alt mode is good from the front, but the back half is just panels and limbs, not doing a good enough job hiding this, reminds me of Energon Inferno, which this figure borrows a few ideas from. Transformation has some clever stuff in the mid-body, but the majority is limb positioning which doesn't dazzle me. Robot mode is decent, has a lot of G1 cred, and does a good job hiding the various kibble panels. Very articulated, but the hips are an odd type of jointing that is very high, the shoulders are ultra-tight ratchets, and many of the leg joints are a bit too loose. I do like the foot being instep-hinged though, that is quite clever. One thing I don't like about bot mode is that there's no back, the hips and shoulders are behind the majority of the bulk, and this is worsened by the clear elements showing all the way through the torso. The head is a bit under-sculpted, but I do like the painted light-pipe eyes, they really stand out. All in all, it's a fair figure but as I suspected, it's just trying to do the basics, nothing clever or unique or new.

figrin bran
10-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I saw two just released ROTS multipacks at TRU yesterday. One was a Fallen/Megatron/Soundwave set, Soundwave with an improved metallic silver deco and the other was Hoist/Mixmaster G1 repaint.

Tycho
10-05-2009, 02:05 AM
I ordered the Mikaela, Skids, Arcee HUMAN ALLIANCE figures from ToysRUs.com. It's been shipped to me already though I haven't received it yet.

They sell the set for $34. It includes a representation of Megan Fox as directed by Michael Bay! How awesome is that?!

DarkArtist
10-05-2009, 07:23 AM
I ordered the Mikaela, Skids, Arcee HUMAN ALLIANCE figures from ToysRUs.com. It's been shipped to me already though I haven't received it yet.

They sell the set for $34. It includes a representation of Megan Fox as directed by Michael Bay! How awesome is that?!

i spotted one at TRU Saturday night but left it on the shelf for $$$$ reasons... hoping to get one for Christmas though. set looks great, and a mini Megan Fox figure is the icing on the cake... Arcee looks nice as well and in scale to Skids so that to is a plus.

JetsAndHeels
10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I saw two just released ROTS multipacks at TRU yesterday. One was a Fallen/Megatron/Soundwave set, Soundwave with an improved metallic silver deco and the other was Hoist/Mixmaster G1 repaint.

I saw both of these over the weekend. They're not bad looking sets, but both were easy passes for me, as I am only really wanting the HA Skids and the Walmart Universe exclusives (which I found, woot).

El Chuxter
10-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Speaking of WM exclusives, what's the deal? I saw Powerglide (in a more accurate-to-G1 color scheme) today, and the box listed three Deluxe figures (Starscream, Dinobot, and I think either Bumblebee or Hot Rodimus).

Adam
10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Haha Universe packaging. I saw Powerglide the other day too, along with Hardhead. Didn't see the Silverbolt repaint though.

JediTricks
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Stupid Universe packaging trying to sell figures they released so many months ago!

JetsAndHeels
10-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I bought Hardhead, he is a really cool figure.

Tycho
10-09-2009, 03:57 AM
I got my HA Skids, Arcee, and Mikaela.

I'm not impressed with Arcee, but I'm glad I have her.

I didn't transform Skids. I'll wait and display him as a robot if/when the Comic Con announced Mudflap (w. Simmons) comes out.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying SideSwipe as a robot - because eventually he'll be left in that sleek Corvette mode!

The Mikaela figure is great to own. Everyone else can have their own personal reasons as to why. :D

Adam
10-10-2009, 02:20 AM
I haven't seen this one yet. Hopefully she doesn't suffer from the bug-eyes that Epps does.

JetsAndHeels
10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I haven't seen this one yet. Hopefully she doesn't suffer from the bug-eyes that Epps does.

LoL, the Epps looks like he got nailed in the crotch.

I got deluxe Thrust on Thursday night. He is awesome.

Also got the 20th anniversary Prime figure from a friend. I put a pic of it in the October hauls thread.

figrin bran
10-11-2009, 12:27 AM
It looks like Target has lowered their prices on some ROTF toys to match WM's. I saw deluxes for $10 and leader class for $35. I'll probably end up buying an Optimus down the road then.

Adam
10-15-2009, 01:45 PM
So, remember awhile back when fansprojects showed some line art for a Springer Defender? Some images of the prototype in alt modes have been released.. I like it.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/first-prototype-images-of-fansproject-tfx-defender-168633/

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Pics leaked of Leader Starscream:
http://tformers.com/transformers-new-looks-at-revenge-of-the-fallen-leader-starscream/12466/news.html

And Hasbro shots of Human Alliance Barricade, and a bunch of 2010 movie figures:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/2010-revenge-of-the-fallen-product-images-leaked-168637/

Barricade is fairly disappointing in that Hasbro shot, the earlier photos at the cons looked better.

Brawn looks really cool.

Scattorshot I'm not digging.

Lockdown looks ok, but the prototype looked so much better.

Mindwipe looks better than the prototype. I'll get him and Skystalker who attaches in alt mode.

Ratchet not quite working as well as I thought it would.

LoL, the Epps looks like he got nailed in the crotch.Like a cartoon character though, his crotch like a foot higher than it should be.

Tycho
10-15-2009, 09:37 PM
JT you were so right about the LC Starscream! He looks great. I'm going to buy 2 of him!

I'm excited for HA Barricade myself. We need Decepticons in this line and I see the opportunity for Rampage and Sideways as well.

JetsAndHeels
10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
That Leader class Starscream has the potential to be an epic figure. I am definately picking one up!!

I know that it isn't a new release toy or anything, but I did finally get HA Sideswipe last week...the back kibble doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Overall its a very well done piece and I am now searching for the HA Skids with Arcee.

And on a related note, tonight I purchased a 2nd Legends class Jetfire to combine to my Legends class Optimus Prime. They are pretty cool in combined mode!! I love the legends class figures.

Tycho
10-16-2009, 01:24 AM
J&H, I just ordered HA Skids and Mikaela from ToysRUs.com - I think. Or it was HTS. Anyway, they shipped rather promptly and I'm very satisfied.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2009, 01:32 PM
J&H, I just ordered HA Skids and Mikaela from ToysRUs.com - I think. Or it was HTS. Anyway, they shipped rather promptly and I'm very satisfied.

Congrats, I hope to have mine soon as well.

figrin bran
10-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Powerglide along with other TFU Ultra class is only $12.99 at TRU this week!

Too bad most of us already have him.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Powerglide along with other TFU Ultra class is only $12.99 at TRU this week!

Too bad most of us already have him.

Yep, that is an awesome price, but I have all the ones I want.

figrin bran
10-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Movie Voyagers are only $15 at Target this week.

El Chuxter
10-19-2009, 01:30 AM
So's a case of Tampax, but that doesn't make me want to buy them. :p

figrin bran
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I found and bought ROTF Thrust today. Haven't gotten around to transforming it yet but I like the alt mode (don't have Breakaway so this is the first time that I have this mold).

JetsAndHeels
10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Thrust is a really cool figure. I think you will like it.

Later this week I am meeting a friend in Raleigh, and he is selling me a MISB SDCC Soundwave. Can't wait to get it.

figrin bran
10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Thrust is a really cool figure. I think you will like it.

Later this week I am meeting a friend in Raleigh, and he is selling me a MISB SDCC Soundwave. Can't wait to get it.

Thrust isn't bad at all. Great alt mode like I said previously and there are some pretty good ideas on him like how the cannon gets hidden when you transform back to jet mode. The head is a bit small though. The best part is that it was only $10 and not $13.69 any longer.

JetsAndHeels
10-27-2009, 01:30 PM
I have both the deluxe and the titanium versions of Thrust. I actually like the deluxe better.

Adam
10-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Couple of prototype images are popping up.. no bot modes so not sure if they are movie line or something else. Although the red one sure does loke very G1 Jazz-ish to me.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/unknown-transformers-prototypes-surface-168711/

Tycho
11-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I saw Deluxe Gears in Wal-Mart this morning. They had a few of him.

He looks to ship with the news helicopter.

I didn't buy anything. I don't have use for these figures.

I want more Human Alliance (oh - HA Skids made it to Wal-Mart, too) like Mudflap and Barricade (and the not-yet-planned-by-Hasbro Rampage and Sideways).

I want Leader Class Starscream, and the never-planned- LC Blackout and LC Bonecrusher (or at least Voyager Bonecrusher).

And I want a SideShow Premium Format Figure of Michael Bay, motion-captured saying "Awesome!" and triggering a detonator to something.

JetsAndHeels
11-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Picked up the following TF's over the weekend:

SDCC Soundwave
HA Skids
Leader Jetfire

All 3 are great toys.

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Picked up Stratosphere on the $15 sale. That's a goofy set, very odd but mostly in a fun way. Ugly transformation though.

Leader Class Screamer alt mode pics:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/new-images-of-transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-leader-class-starscream-168716/
The prototype pics Hasbro showed on the con circuit this summer didn't have as much fat to the underside kibble. These designers are getting so lazy!

Tycho
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
That LC Starscream is still sweet though! Put me down for at least 2, maybe 3!

I have no plans to buy much other Transformers products, so I'm really looking forward to this one!

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 03:10 PM
2 or 3? Don't you at least want to see if they'll make a re-release without the tattoos before committing to extras?

The funny thing to me is over on TFW2k5 they're saying the whole plane looks fat, but from the intakes forward on the side view, and from the top view, this thing is pretty much spot-on: http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/military/f22raptor/f_22_raptor_2.jpg

Tycho
11-02-2009, 04:03 PM
2 or 3? Don't you at least want to see if they'll make a re-release without the tattoos before committing to extras?

Good idea. I actually would prefer Starscream without the tattoos.

I checked and I only want 2:

1 with tattoos to display in robot mode in the pyramid battle with The Fallen.

1 without tattoos to display as a jet in the Mission City battle from the first movie.

How long do you think it will take Hasbro to release a repaint of Starscream?

Furthermore: will the repaint be just without tattoos or will he be remade in G1 colors? (I don't need that)

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, they released LC Brawl and LC Desert Brawl within a season of each other, so as little as 4 months, but they were trying to cash in on the movie and were closer to it at the time. That said, this isn't coming during a movie year but there is a movie on the horizon from its release. I would guess if they're gonna do one, it'd be between 9 months and a year, unless he appears even more differently in the next film, in which case it may not happen at all. Was there a question in the Q&A about this? I don't remember, it should be asked.

As for G1 colors, I highly highly HIGHLY doubt it'd be faithful to that, they wouldn't look good on this mold.

Darth Metalmute
11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
BBTS sent me my ravage USB drive.
It's nicely done. It's bigger than I thought it would be.
They sent it in a box that was 10 times bigger than it.
I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Tycho
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I decided I'll buy 2 (two) Leader Class Starscreams.

I will open 1 and keep the receipt for the other (boxed) one.

Then in 3 months, I will buy a third LC Starscream and return my 2nd (boxed one). Thus I'll have 3 more months to await a Hasbro repaint (with no tattoos). Thus I'll now have 6 months total time to wait for a non-tattoo'd Starscream. If I need 9 or 12 even, I can use the store return priviledge policies in my favor (this will help in the event of discount sales, too).

When I open my first LC Starscream, I WILL TRANSFORM him!

No - really. I'm not kidding. Well - maybe.

I want the tattoos one in robot mode, so we'll see how he ships. It is highly likely he will ship as a robot, as all the other LC figures have.

So maybe I won't transform him afterall - but this IS Starscream and I'm darn curious!

Darth Metalmute
11-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Here is the picture of the Ravage USB memory stick.

JetsAndHeels
11-03-2009, 01:38 PM
That's pretty cool..makes me want one!!

JediTricks
11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Another LC Starscream gallery, this one is VERY detailed in both modes:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/revenge-of-the-fallen-leader-starscream-image-gallery-168723/

He's got 2 left hands, a regular claw and then one made up of mini-missiles (non-firing) and knives.

The undercarriage is a little fatter than the other shots suggested even though.

I dig the pop-out forearm weapons.

JetsAndHeels
11-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Looks good. I'm definately getting one!!

Tycho
11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm really wanting this. Starscream was always my favorite Decepticon. He has a lot of character and brought a lot of his personality out in the original G1 show. ROTF brought some of that to the table in the movies. Still love it in ROTF when Megatron beat Starscream with his own severed arm after the fight with Prime in the forest. That was funny. (But he only hit him once with it that I recall. Though he did knock Screamer over, he should have hit him several more times and then more people would be talking about that.)

NOTE: in the movie, there were elements to the Decepticons that were there, hinting back to G1, but too subtle: like when the Constructicons resurrected Megatron, they used parts of one of their own they slaughtered at the bottom of the ocean to repair him (hence the one stunted arm on the "new" Megatron). Being that it is dark in the bottom of the deepest crater in the ocean, and that the scene was very brief and hard to discern, this was also lost to many in the audience that didn't "study" Michael Bay's work like I did. (There were no farting, recreational drug use, masturbation jokes, or dogs humping in this scene for another example.)

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Check it, a gallery of Voyager Mindwipe:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/revenge-of-the-fallen-voyager-class-mindwipe-image-gallery-168727/

I think I'm gonna like that figure, I wasn't sure at the cons but this looks pretty good. And not much undercarriage bulk, although it is a little kibbly.

Tycho
11-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree. That figure is kind of cool. Makes me consider buying it. Hmmmm.

JediTricks
11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Someone posted a japanese video of a taken-apart LC Starscream, tampering with the electronics to get the talking gimmick to work: http://tformers.com/transformers-leader-starscream-video-reveals-lights-and-sounds/12596/news.html

Movable jaw is wild! Why does Hasbro keep doing only 1 line per figure??? It sounds pretty decent though.

Tycho
11-06-2009, 02:26 AM
What does he say? No wait! Let me guess: "I am Starscream!" ?

I bet that's why it will say "Starscream" on his packaging, too. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 03:56 AM
You would be wrong actually. "No one defeats Starscream!"

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Picked up movie Thrust at WM yesterday. The colorscheme helps this mold a lot, but the tiny head stuck in the cockpit makes it a fail, even with the mod. All the wings end up as backpack kibble, some of it not even locked down. It's an ok figure, but not great.

JetsAndHeels
11-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Picked up the TRU re-release of Perceptor. Looks like a cool figure. Will open it tomorrow.

Tycho
11-09-2009, 10:08 PM
You would be wrong actually. "No one defeats Starscream!"

Uh yeah, but I saw this movie where Optimus Prime cuts his arm off and then Megatron gives Starscream a beating with it.

JediTricks
11-10-2009, 05:14 AM
and yet he lived.

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 07:44 AM
I saw a better movie once where Starscream shot off his own foot, and was still in good enough condition to kick Megatron around and assume control of the Decepticons.

Chaddymac
11-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I saw a better movie once where Starscream shot off his own foot, and was still in good enough condition to kick Megatron around and assume control of the Decepticons.
And then he got zapped into ash leaving nothing but his jeweled crown behind to be crushed by his murderer.

That movie was awesome.

Tycho
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I really loved that movie too! :thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
As great as that movie was, it killed Transformers for me (as a kid).

Every episode after that stunk. They killed off all my favorite Transformers.

Everyone complains about the live action movies pushing a toy product, well that was the main purpose of the original movie.

JediTricks
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
That was the main purpose of the cartoon series as well. The difference is the series didn't massacre everybody you loved to replace them with a bunch of goofy-looking nobodies in a single episode.

Chaddymac
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
That was the main purpose of the cartoon series as well. The difference is the series didn't massacre everybody you loved to replace them with a bunch of goofy-looking nobodies in a single episode.
I actually would never complain about the media being designed to sell me toys. Mostly because it worked.

I hated the second movie because it wasn't entertaining. I got bored. The most memorable thing about the second movie was the fact that Skids and Mudflap were insulting racist stereotypes that (and this is the cardinal sin) weren't funny. There's a lot that's memorable about the original Animated movie. Petrorabbits; bah weep grahnna weep ninny bong; Prime's death scene; "One shall stand, one shall fall"; "the insecticons are in our way," "wrong, they're our way in"; a giant transforming moon - I could go on, but you can't argue they didn't pull out all the stops.

TF2? eh.

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Check this out, one of the guys on my TF forums came up with not 1 but 2 very cool fanmode semi-gestalts, the ROTF Constructicons (and a couple friends) turning into Devastator:

http://www.tfviews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=424

How can Hasbro tell us they can't do something like that in real life??? The second one with Dirt Boss as the head is really nifty. Collectors would have gone nuts for something like that (with better arms, obviously, though he almost gets away with it). And what would it have taken to add a few pegs and connectors to the figs to let them do this? Not very much! Plus, he even did a little Build Hurricane thing with the chest on the second one.

Seems to me Hasbro got lazy on this and really kept fans from what could have been awesome, movie-accurate or not. And it's not like their cheesy $100 boxed version is any more movie-accurate anyway, except for the head which is a total BFD eye-roll anyway.

JediTricks
11-15-2009, 03:25 PM
For anybody who hasn't seen these yet, this guy has made a bunch of quick stop-motion videos of TFs changing and moving and transforming back. They're simple but surprisingly effective:

http://www.youtube.com/user/quizzley7

Chaddymac
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Nice find, JT!

Darth Metalmute
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I picked up HA Skids today. It was on sale a K-Mart of all places for 29.74.

I like the fact that the seat comes with a hinge so it can fold down.
Anyone know if they will rerelease Bumblebee with the same option?

Chaddymac
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I picked up HA Skids today. It was on sale a K-Mart of all places for 29.74.

I like the fact that the seat comes with a hinge so it can fold down.
Anyone know if they will rerelease Bumblebee with the same option?
I wouldn't hold my breath... Maybe for TF3.

figrin bran
11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Since ROTF deluxes were on sale at Target, I decided to pick up Gears figuring I could shoehorn him with the Universe TF's I own.

Tycho
11-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Gears looks cool. Is he?

JediTricks
11-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Gears is a repaint of movie 1 Stockade, a figure I don't like but a lot of folks do. It's the simplistic robot mode and transformation that bugs me, as well as the blatant laziness of the windows. Still, I suspect you'd like him, Tycho, he's got big bruiser arms and a punching gimmick.

TRU extended their doorbusters all day, so I picked up TF Animated Megatron for $20 (as well as an AT-TE for $50 - yes, it's finally happened). Megs is pretty cool but PAINFULLY simplistic in transformation. But there are clever bits and the vehicle mode is decent. I think I would have been underwhelmed at $40, but am happy at $20.

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I was going to try to pick up a Leader figure at TRU also, but things were so hectic there at midnight Friday I couldn't. The store was nothing short of chaotic, because of the way things were organized. The management had it set up so that the lines for electronics zig-zagged through the actual merchandise aisles...so you can imagine how difficult it was to try to get to the goods.

I asked 2 different employees to help me with the matter, but things were so busy it wasn't possible.

JediTricks
11-28-2009, 03:04 PM
At both my TRUs, they had zig-zags taped throughout the front half of the store, but by mid-day it was totally unnecessary, sales were barely looking more than normal. It was like that at Best Buy as well, the second one had rented people-gates outside showing how it was the early morning but by mid-day, totally pointless. The only section that was busy was the computer area really.

Did you get anything good for your troubles?

As to Megatron, I compared him to Ultra Magnus, they're the same size and Megs is bigger in alt mode, so that's a very good thing, not usual for Leader-class Megs these days to stack up against an Autobot. The barrel of Megs' gun rotates which makes a big difference to the alt mode look, and with the gun panel removed, the alt mode has a secret hidden nose-wheel that folds down. All in all, this is a decent fig, I'm really glad TRU extended their doorbuster hours, and I bet so are they, we spent another $30 on top of the $70 in sales items we got.

Tycho
11-28-2009, 04:05 PM
With the A-Team movie coming out soon, I propose they make Transformers cross-overs!

BA could become the famous van!
Faceman would become his white Corvette.
Murdoch would become a helicopter.
Hannibal should become a wrecking crane!

Then they could do military vehicles and make them turn into Decker and the other dude.

Updates could make new A-Team versions of the strike unit with:

BA as a bulldozer
Faceman in another sportscar form
Murdoch as a jet plane
Hannibal as a garbage truck

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Did you get anything good for your troubles?

Nope...after all that frustration and the fact that the store was a madhouse, I just wanted to get out.

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Nope...after all that frustration and the fact that the store was a madhouse, I just wanted to get out.
That sucks, sorry to hear it. And then they went and extended doorbuster prices for the whole day anyway.

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Any more questions you'd like us to ask Hasbro about the TF line? We're really low on questions this round and Tycho already had his turn at taking over Q&A, so anything you ask will likely get used at this point.

Post it in here or better yet in the Q&A thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=707315#post707315

El Chuxter
11-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Dunno if you'd want to ask or not, but maybe we could get Hasbro's thoughts on IDW rebooting their comic series three times now, or, if we don't want to be so abrasive, are the hybrid G1/Movie designs appearing in the comic Hasbro's idea or IDW's?

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 04:46 PM
What do you mean rebooted 3 times? Which ones? I know they just rebooted with AHM, but there's another?

El Chuxter
11-29-2009, 10:38 PM
There was the original premise, to be entirely set on Earth. People didn't like the humans, and the second series was something of a soft reboot, set on Cybertron.

Megatron: Origin was written for publication at Dreamwave and fits more into that continuity. It's pretty incompatible with the rest of the IDW universe. I don't even count it.

All Hail Megatron was a total reboot, then retconned (clumsily) into the previous continuity. Continuum actually re-wrote quite a few of the events of the pre-AHM stories.

Now, this series seems to be set a few years after AHM, with Earth totally rebuilt from the Decepticons practically destroying it, and the Autobots in hiding on Earth for reasons I'm not sure about since I'm waiting for paperbacks. So definitely two hard reboots, three if you count the retconning of AHM into the previous continuity.

Tycho
11-30-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm curious Chuxter: I know you can write. Ever want to write and put your own "fix" to the Transformers comics and continuity issues?

JediTricks
11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
There was the original premise, to be entirely set on Earth. People didn't like the humans, and the second series was something of a soft reboot, set on Cybertron.

Megatron: Origin was written for publication at Dreamwave and fits more into that continuity. It's pretty incompatible with the rest of the IDW universe. I don't even count it.

All Hail Megatron was a total reboot, then retconned (clumsily) into the previous continuity. Continuum actually re-wrote quite a few of the events of the pre-AHM stories.

Now, this series seems to be set a few years after AHM, with Earth totally rebuilt from the Decepticons practically destroying it, and the Autobots in hiding on Earth for reasons I'm not sure about since I'm waiting for paperbacks. So definitely two hard reboots, three if you count the retconning of AHM into the previous continuity.Ok, then I am glad I used the term "several". They've been soft-rebooting since the beginning of the Spotlight series, and it's gotten super messy with everything floating around AHM, especially Spotlight Drift.

El Chuxter
11-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Spotlight Drift can be ignored, as can almost anything else involving Drift. I'm certainly not against a comic publisher adding their own characters to the mix (Jhiaxxus and Straxxus come to mind immediately), but to hype a character who does absolutely nothing but stand there and essentially say, "Look at me! I'm cool!" and misrepresent Hasbro's intentions of making a toy of him, well, that's a bit different.

JediTricks
11-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Drift's toy is due out in, I think, 5 months.

I'm not as down on Poochy, I mean, Drift, as some folks, and I will buy the figure because there is some cool factor to it, but the character is such a joke in action and over-the-top unearned backstory that he really does earn that Poochy title.

El Chuxter
11-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Really? Okay, I'll take that part back. It's been a couple of years since they said he was going to be the "first new comic book character to become a toy," despite constant insistence by Hasbro that they had no plans to make him. Will he be in a revived (yet again) Universe line?

Doesn't change the whole "this guy's cooler than Wolverine!" thing, when he literally does nothing and has no personality.

JediTricks
11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
They showed the Drift toy line-art at Botcon on the Hasbro Designer Sunday panel, said it would be in the movie line technically, but assured that it'd be faithful to the original source. They're doing non-movie styling with Bludgeon as well, and the Universe 3.0 line is still about 10 months out (they consider the line paused for the movie, not canceled and renewed).

Drift has NEVER used his sword so far. :p Can you imagine Marvel showing Wolvie's claws for a whole year without doing anything with them?

El Chuxter
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Bludgeon? Are there pics of him? Now that's one I'd like to be based on the IDW design, missing jaw and everything.

JediTricks
11-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Bludgeon is coming out soon, here are pics and vids of the fig picked up in Asia:
http://tformers.com/transformers-/12595/news.html
http://tformers.com/transformers-/12693/news.html
http://tformers.com/transformers-rotf-voyager-bludeon-katana-combination-video/12702/news.html
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/en_US/shop/details.cfm?guid=734DC732-19B9-F369-D9ED-2DD47B87EDDE&product_id=25558&src=endeca
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/revenge-of-the-fallen-nest-battles-recon-ironhide-and-bludgeon-available-in-asia-168818/

El Chuxter
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Sweet.

I'd say more, but I need to mop up the drool. That's one I'll definitely have to get.

Tycho
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
I already have several tanks (2 LC Brawls and 1 Del Dessert Brawl I just use as a generic military tank, but since it's for a Transformers display...)

What I don't have AT ALL is a helicopter. A LC Blackout / Grindor is so necessary - then I think I'm almost done collecting Transformers.

I'd like:

an SUV - Trailbreaker perhaps? Or a re-imagining of Motormaster?
Scrapper that can transform
Hightower that can transform
Bonecrusher in a Voyager or LC size

Human Alliance Decepticons to include Rampage and Sideways.
An Ultimate Class Human Alliance Ironhide (with Lennox)

I'm not sure what else I'd be interested in, though I'd like to see Wheeljack, Mirage, and Hound make the next movie for their characters. I don't know if Michael Bay will allow them to develop as characters, but he'll film them with a shakey-cam while a girl wearing a low cut blouse leans over them, and then bends over them wearing short-shorts while Furbies explode behind them and someone farts (hopefully not the girl bending over).

JediTricks
12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Steve just added Hasbro photos of HA Barricade w/ Frenzy:
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=3680

I can't believe they left his rear window halves on his forearms, and the arms are even more slabs of the side than the deluxe.