PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Tycho
12-03-2009, 01:25 AM
I still like this. Our first Decepticon in the HA assortment.

Now we definitely need to get Hasbro to do Rampage (w. Prisoner Ron Witwicky) and Sideways (w. Isabel Lucas-looking Alice - or maybe both this figure of her, and her undisguised robot form both included as they included Mikaela and Arcee with Mudflap).

I know Sideways and Alice didn't interact in the film, but who else could you package Sideways with? Maybe the Chinese man eating rice?

Most of the other Decepticons are too large to include in the standard HA size range. I know there's Scorponok, but he doesn't transform and I'd rather not Hasbro make up some dumb form for him that wasn't in the movie.

Ravage or Soundwave are feasible for this line though. Most of the Constructicons are not, though Scrapper or Hightower might be adaptable.

If a larger size range / price point is looked at, then Ironhide from the Autobots would be the first one that should be considered.

JediTricks
12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Steve posted the HA Mudflap w/ Chromia & Agent Simmons:
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=3669

If only that face wasn't so fuglo. The body on this fig looks better than the Skids HA.

"Chromia" (blue Arcee actually) looks pretty good, surprisingly.

El Chuxter
12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
So, uh, not to mince hairs, but isn't "Revenge of the Fallen Human Alliance Barricade with Frenzy" so full of oxymorons that it threatens to destroy the very fabric of space and time?

Tycho
12-04-2009, 05:35 AM
So, uh, not to mince hairs, but isn't "Revenge of the Fallen Human Alliance Barricade with Frenzy" so full of oxymorons that it threatens to destroy the very fabric of space and time?

Ignore the title of the line, but continue it anyway.

Ron Witwicky as Rampage's prisoner wouldn't be an "alliance" either, but it needs to be done and so few Decepticons are possible.

figrin bran
12-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I got Masterpiece Skywarp at Walmart today! I was actually hoping for the ESB so seeing so many of the Skywarps was a pleasant surprise.

I also got TFA Electrostatic Soundwave at Target. Although not in G1 colors, I actually like this version better than the other TFA Soundwave.

JetsAndHeels
12-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Went to Walmart last night and was pleasantly surprised with all the stock they put out...picked up the Animated leaders Ultra Magnus and Megatron for $20 each.

Also got the Universe figures of Silverbolt, Blaster, and Blades for $11 each.

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Wednesday, TF Voyager class figures will be half price at TRU, $10.99.

Darth Metalmute
12-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I saw animated Shockwave for the first time this week at a target store in Cleveland. Pretty neat figure but I didn't have the funding to pick it up.

figrin bran
12-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I had a Target 15% off any Transformers/GI Joe/Star Wars purchase lying around so I finally used it on ROTF Leader Class Prime and Transformers Animated Skywarp (which I had not seen at retail until now).

I already own two versions of that TFA Voyager seeker mold with Starscream and Sunstorm but Skywarp's deco is better than either of them. The colors are bright and the metallic painted sections really look sharp.

Tycho
12-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I think I just want to buy toys.

Today and this Christmas season I've been tempted to buy the RPMs and a complete set of Legends figures.

As to Legends, I think they make:

Optimus Prime
Jetfire (do they make him in Legends???)
Ironhide (but he's red, isn't he? Do they make him in black that small?)
SideSwipe
BumbleBee
2nd Mudflap
2nd Skids
Do they even make Ratchet???

The Fallen
Megatron
Starscream
Do they make Sideways as a Legends?
I'd want more Decepticon Legends but I don't think there are, are there?
Wait - they make Grindor as a Legends, right?
Do they make Brawl, or Barricade? What about any of the Constructicons?

I guess I want them so I can have Transformers I can keep in a box and play with. As you know, I take extremely protective care over my regular line TFs and barely mess with them for fear of not keeping them absolutely MINT (though loose).

Anyway, I think I just want TFs to buy.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have enough stuff! But both lines (RPMs and Legends) would be purchased together I'd think.

JetsAndHeels
12-12-2009, 11:53 PM
I picked up ROTF Grindor earlier tonight. He has been pretty tough to find, so I was glad to finally get him.

Tycho, concerning the legends:

*they did make a Jetfire (he combines with Legends Optimus)
*they did make a regular color Ironhide, but it is from the first movie line of legends
*they did make a legends Ratchet
*they did make Sideways
*both brawl and barricade are also as legends, however they are from the first movie (except a repaint of brawl was made for this film, but its a repaint and is named Tankor)

figrin bran
12-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Tycho, don't buy RPMs! I bought them for someone else's kid and got to see them out of package. They are far from Hot Wheels quality and for the most part are completely plastic.

I just transformed the ROTF Prime I got yesterday and sadly it took me over an hour! TF instructions are usually poorly written but this one was even worse than usual.

Tycho
12-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys.

And Figrin, you need to contact Sector 7 to decode the instructions. I'm sure they have the really detailed version recorded on the bottom of a pizza box somewhere.

JetsAndHeels
12-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Instructions? What are those? :)

The last one I actually had to refer to the instructions on was leader Jetfire...and after a few looks at them they were in the trash.

Tycho
12-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Tonight I bought the Tailwinds collection's K-52 Alligator attack hellicopter, an SR-71, and two F-22 Raptor fighters to go with my RPMs.

They're a better scale than what RPMs did for the fighter jets. Too bad their isn't a "super-RPM" Megatron, and no way to get Megatron as the first movie Cybertronian fighter in about the right scale (I don't think they had Legends back then about the time of the first movie)

Tailwinds does make a PAV-Low hellicopter (what Blackout and Grindor really were) but the Alligator looks really good and threatening in a "Decepticon sort of way." Plus, they didn't have the correct helicopter anyway and I wouldn't want it if it's in bright orange Coast Guard colors, as it very well might be. I want it to look like Blackout.

Anyway, it's Matchbox who makes some pretty cool playsets for their cars so I can get a construction site or a city street together should I want to re-create that via pre-made sets. However, I rather like making my own. That takes more time, or course.

Chaddymac
12-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Aww - I like the instructions. And ever since BEAST MACHINES, I've argued that people have over estimated their ability to transform their figures without them. I remember, after a slew of people complained that the "motorcycle drone" sucked, I took pics of my CORRECTLY transformed drone and revealed that the majority of the folks had ignored the instructrions and just transformed him based on the crappy production photography on the box.

I credit myself with the sell through of that figure - a lot of people were ready to pass on it. Yeah, sometimes the instructions suck, or leave out important steps or features, but every once in a while they'll show something I might have missed otherwise.

Besides, they're just nice to have as a companion.

Why am I still typing? Anyway, my $.02.

JediTricks
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
A lot of the instructions lately are drawn from the absolute worst angles though. I always refer to instructions and package pics on my first transformations, but there have been a myriad of figures that have been flat-out-wrong in the instructions over the past decade based on toy design or something of that nature. But I do agree with you, these fans who transform toys without EVER looking at the instructions and then review them based on incorrect aspects really bug the crap out of me.

So, I received an early issue of the Legends-class Devastator set that'll be coming to the US next year. I like how the package looks, compact yet significant, but it's difficult to work with (not impossible, but difficult) if you want to keep using it after opening. The combination is decent, the gestalt bot looks good, I dig any Minicon-sized combiners, but like most of those, this combiner can't move almost at all. 5 of the 7 individual bots are nifty on their own as well, which is a pretty good ratio, and I don't think there's a bad alt mode in the bunch.

Tycho
12-21-2009, 12:47 AM
I saw JT's Devastator in person when he came down to visit.

I was impressed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this.

I bought Legends Megatron, Fallen, and Starscream to go with these.

Now I need to find Legends Prime and Jetfire to join them. These are all the Legends figures I can think of that would be the right scale to Devastator and the vehicle modes of the Constructicons.

I'm sure if you want to display them as regular bots like Scrapper and the likes, BumbleBee et. all would be around the right scale, but not nearly in other modes.

Chaddymac
12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I saw JT's Devastator in person when he came down to visit.

I was impressed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this.

I bought Legends Megatron, Fallen, and Starscream to go with these.

Now I need to find Legends Prime and Jetfire to join them. These are all the Legends figures I can think of that would be the right scale to Devastator and the vehicle modes of the Constructicons.

I'm sure if you want to display them as regular bots like Scrapper and the likes, BumbleBee et. all would be around the right scale, but not nearly in other modes.
Ooh, I want that Devastator. Pretty sure him, Bludgeon, and the last of the HA figures will probably be my only movie purchases. And Bludgeon really doesn't qualify as a movie toy, IMHO.

JetsAndHeels
12-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Picked up Animated Leader Shadowblade Megatron today.

Walmart had a ton of them and they were only $20. He is a pretty solid repaint.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 01:55 AM
NEST sub-series figures showing up at Target stores across SoCal. I picked up Dirge at West Hollywood Target tonight, was the only dlx on the pegs. I got lucky.

His bio is a really odd one, not really a bio at all, just an explanation of how the figure ties into the NEST concept (answer: poorly). I'm opening him in a few, looks good though.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 05:57 AM
First thoughts on Dirge... This figure is craaaaazy! The instructions have to use BOTH sides! Even without the little adjustments that take a few steps, Dirge has a mountain of stuff moving, rotating, folding, even sliding around. One of the most complex transformations for a deluxe in recent memory, but not in a bad way. Alt mode has a little cheating leaving some stuff as kibble on the lower half, but it's not a "fat" undercarriage at least. The whole alt mode design seems like a slightly chibi Harrier. I dig the changeup to the way the nose wheel is stowed, it's minor but makes me happy. Bot mode is a mishmash of colors, the yellow and caramel-bronze don't exactly play well but it's not too garish. It's got twin Mech Alive gimmicks, move the shoulders and a toothed gear pectoral rotates. Some nice sculpting all around but not super-detailed like some. The fake cockpit chest is cute (the real cockpit is the right arm), the Bayformer conehead is a little odd in every way but not terrible, you can split the cone to make the world's ugliest hat. They put a lot of homage into the design, but it's also a good figure on its own and not at all Bayformer-esque in the body design (well, the knees tend to bend slightly backwards for balance but it's really minor) - plus, real missile launchers unlike the G1 turd-weapons, and some kibble turns into a permanently-attached little shield on the forearm. The wings are kibble, but movable. There's some new stuff in the transformation, I dig how the feet reveal from the inlets. Articulation is swivel neck, rotation shoulders, sideways hinge sholders, rotating upper biceps, hinge elbows, no waist, ball-joint hips, rotation upper thighs, double-hinge knees, multi-joint ankles, and some multi-joint articulation to the wing kibble at the lower legs. All in all, very good.

figrin bran
12-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for that review on Dirge, JT. I'll look forward to getting him. At West Hollywood Target in about a week or two when they restock :D

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Sure thing. Best of luck finding him. :thumbsup:

I love the looks on the employees' faces in the days right after christmas when they have to deal with the utter carnage that used to be the toy section. :D I straightened their SW pegs last night without organizing, nearly half the figures were on the shelf or floor. I turn around for 2 minutes and when I come back there are half a dozen figures back on the shelf and floor.

Tycho
12-24-2009, 04:20 PM
There were a lot of Dirges at my Wal-Mart - and Armorhide, too. Both Deluxes looked really good and tempted me. I've had to tell myself "I don't need them" every time I'm in the store. I'm keeping my eyes open for Human Alliance Barricade - that's what I'm doing.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
The only new figure in this wave is Dirge, Armorhide is a repaint from the first movie line.

Dirge comes with a new catalog for the NEST line, new Deluxes and Voyagers but no Scouts at all. Oddly, a few new RPMs too. Dirge also comes with a NEST sticker which I'm pretty sure is part of a mail-in but there's no mention anywhere I could find.

JetsAndHeels
12-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I got Dirge yesterday but have not opened him yet. Probably will tomorrow.

I want that Bludgeon figure pretty bad!!

JediTricks
12-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah, Bludgeon is going to be an on-the-spot buy for me too.

Speaking of on-the-spot buys, someone at TFW posted movie-line Lockdown loose pics:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/revenge-of-the-fallen-deluxe-lockdown-pictorial-review-168937/

Tycho
12-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Can anyone find me a Legends Class Jetfire, please?

JetsAndHeels
12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Can anyone find me a Legends Class Jetfire, please?

I'll keep an eye out for one...although I haven't seen one in a while.

A buddy of mine called me up about 7 this morning and told me he found Bludgeon at his local Walmart. Naturally, I asked him to pick one up for me. I will get it tonight. Can't wait!!

JediTricks
12-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I've been looking and looking through Legends pegs for that Jetfire for you, T. I spotted a mountain of the new Optimus Prime but there were so many that I figured you'd be likely to find it there. Also, TRU has the armored-up Prime keychain that's roughly the same scale and wears the armor better than the Legends. I hadn't actually seen the Legends combine before now, it's underwhelming: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/spoilers-new-images-of-rotf-legends-prime-and-jetfire/14808/
EDIT: Wait, it's not as bad as I thought, there's other ways to do it: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=16426 (posts 5 and 6 are good, post 8 is interesting but blurry, post 9 is HILARIOUS)

J&H, awesome find, best of luck bringing it in. I want a full report by the end of the day. ;)

JetsAndHeels
12-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Allright, I now have Bludgeon in my possession, and I must say, he totally rocks!!

First of all, I will say that the best part of this figure is just his overall appearance. The whole skeleton face/samurai thing really works for him. His face is very menacing...although the eyes do not have any light piping, it still totally works, and it is a look that he pulls off. Another thing I like about how he looks is that in the midst of my Universe figures, he blends right in.

The transformation isn't too bad, except for when I got to the waist. I had a tough time turning it, but once that was done it was smooth sailing. The tank treads come apart (alot like deluxe Rampage's) but the cool thing is they do not get in the way at all.
His back/the gun turret of the tank opens up and serves as a sheath for his sword. There is also a knife stored in there as well.
His hip has an opening for another place to store his sword. Nice addition.

He has pretty good poseability, but his feet do kind of leave him standing sort of awkward in some instances. A few different adjustments will fix that though, so it isn't too big a deal.

Overall I think he totally rocks. I would definately recommend him to anyone, and if you see him you had better get him. From the looks of things (at least based on the store where mine was purchased at) he is going to sell fast.

JediTricks
12-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Cool, thanks for the 411. Congrats on the early get there, that's a winner!

JetsAndHeels
12-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks!!

Also I find it odd that I am giving someone on the West coast a review of a toy...usually you guys see these things at retail first.

El Chuxter
12-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Note to self: start looking for Bludgeon.

Tycho
12-27-2009, 09:07 PM
I really like how Legends Prime and Jetfire look combined in several of those pictures.

Chaddymac
12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks!!

Also I find it odd that I am giving someone on the West coast a review of a toy...usually you guys see these things at retail first.
Is Bludgeon a Wal-Mart exclusive? I've made my monthly trip to the poor excuse for a retail store called Wal-Mart that is near me, and if I'm allowed to wait for it to arrive at Target, I will.

JetsAndHeels
12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Is Bludgeon a Wal-Mart exclusive? I've made my monthly trip to the poor excuse for a retail store called Wal-Mart that is near me, and if I'm allowed to wait for it to arrive at Target, I will.

No, he is not a WM exclusive..it just happens to be the place where most people are finding him right now.

I took a trip to my local WM a little while ago and scored a couple new ROTF deluxes. Got Armorhide and Alliance Bumblebee. I had no intentions of getting another Bumblebee figure, but his paint scheme and deco is pretty sweet, so I took the bait.

JediTricks
12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I made a list of what's next in the ROTF line: http://www.tfviews.com/news/toysandcollectibles/651

Tycho
12-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the list JT!

JetsAndHeels
12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Since he is so photogenic, I decided to take some pics of Bludgeon. Enjoy!!

*Note that the tank turret opens up on his back in robot mode to reveal another weapon and a sheath for his sword.

Tycho
12-29-2009, 05:06 PM
That's kind of a cool figure you got there, JH.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 05:13 PM
That's rad, thanks for the photos.

Why do people wallpaper their bathrooms though? Seems like the wrong environment for it, like all that steam will just take it off the walls.

JetsAndHeels
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Bludgeon informed me before the photos that the room had to be wallpapered, no questions asked. :)

I have no idea why it is like that here, I rent this place.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I figured. I see a lot of rentals with wallpapered bathrooms. They did some work on my sister's place recently and when they cut up part of the wall in there, it revealed like cowboys and horses wallpaper. Totally nutso, it's not like this was "the kids' bathroom", it's the only one in the apartment. Then the landlord gets all miffed when it comes down from the steam, like that wasn't foreseeable.

Here's the breakdown of new figures in the upcoming waves thing I posted:

3 new scouts across 2 waves, and 3 repaints.
4 new deluxes across 3 waves, 6 repaints, 1 wave with no new figures.
2 new voyagers across 2 waves, 1 remold, 1 repaint.
1 repainted leader across 1 wave.

I suppose I want all 9 new molds, I already own 1. But of the 1 remold and 11 repaints, here's my personal breakdown:

somewhat interested in the 1 remold.
2 of the 3 scout-class repaints interest me (Sonar and Divebomb look very good).
and 0 of the 8 deluxe, voyager, and leader repaints will be purchased by me. In fact, of all of them, the only one that doesn't seem totally pointless to me is red Rampage, and I just don't like that mold.

Tycho
12-29-2009, 08:36 PM
I want:

Leader Class Blackout
Leader Class Bonecrusher
Voyager Class Bonecrusher (if a Leader is a no-go, not ever)
Voyager Class Hightower
Voyager Class Scrapper
Human Alliance Sideways with Alice as a human, and maybe as a Decepticon, too
Human Alliance Rampage with Sam Witwicky
"Omni-Class" Human Alliance Ironhide with Major Lennox
Scout Class Arcee
Legends Class Ironhide in black
Life-Size Isabel Lucas
Life-Size Megan Fox
Michael Bay and the writers of Transformers 3 tied to chairs and forced to listen to me for 1 hour before they take any further steps on T3 - and maybe have El Chuxter there alongside me - armed!

JetsAndHeels
12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Leader Starscream looks to be epic. I cannot wait to get one.

Human Alliance Barricade should be showing up soon.

figrin bran
01-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Leader Class Bumblebee????

Tycho
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Leader Class Bumblebee????

What?

The Human Alliance BumbleBee is as large (and as complete) as he needs to be.

I'm not interested in a LC BumbleBee, as much as I like the character. I hope this isn't happening when we still don't have a LC Blackout!

Chaddymac
01-07-2010, 04:59 PM
What?

The Human Alliance BumbleBee is as large (and as complete) as he needs to be.

I'm not interested in a LC BumbleBee, as much as I like the character. I hope this isn't happening when we still don't have a LC Blackout!
It's happening, Tycho - pictures have leaked. Doesn't look like an LC Blackout is in the cards...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/fifth-revenge-of-the-fallen-leader-class-mold-revealed-to-be-bumblebee-168965/

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Leader Class Bumblebee????Yeah, that is crazy town. They are certifiable, especially after the faceplant that was the Supreme version. What I love most about the leaked pic is the shoulders are coming apart, and the back still has roof kibble. Sometimes it feels like they have no sense of priorities on this line.

Chaddymac
01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah, that is crazy town. They are certifiable, especially after the faceplant that was the Supreme version. What I love most about the leaked pic is the shoulders are coming apart, and the back still has roof kibble. Sometimes it feels like they have no sense of priorities on this line.
Thankfully, the movie line could collapse under the weight of Devestator's balls for all i care. WHERE are my Classics?!? And why can't I have my Animated Omega Supreme?

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Classics probably around the end of the year.

Not enough belief at Hasbro that the market will support TF:A Omega Supreme.

Chaddymac
01-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Classics probably around the end of the year.

Not enough belief at Hasbro that the market will support TF:A Omega Supreme.
I love you JT, but those were rhetorical questions. My REAL questions are things like, "What is keeping Hasbro from making a Red Alert version of the Side/Streaker Classics mold?" and "Why is gravity so weak when compared to the nuclear and electrical forces present in an atom?"

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Forces between subatomic particles are greater due to the scaling of the model within the larger universe, as well as scaled to each other.

Hasbro is dumb, would be the answer to your first question. ;)

Chaddymac
01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Forces between subatomic particles are greater due to the scaling of the model within the larger universe, as well as scaled to each other.

Hasbro is dumb, would be the answer to your first question. ;)
Actually, gravity is considered one of the four forces, but is described as too weak to actually affect the bonds of subatomic particles. We have a physicist on set of the BIG BANG THEORY and we discuss these topics at length. He has not yet, however, satisfied my need to understand why this is, if we are to assume that all four forces were born with the creation of the universe, especially since the other three are so close to being equal in strength with one another.

Transformers rule! (to keep this on topic...)

figrin bran
01-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I couldn't even comment further after typing out "Leader Class Bumblebee???". That's how much of a faceplant that was/is.

JetsAndHeels
01-07-2010, 11:27 PM
I hope this isn't happening when we still don't have a LC Blackout!

Dude, we're probably not going to ever see a leader class Blackout. I hope I am wrong, but the odds are not in our favor.

This leader class for Bee is the 5th leader mold...just remember, the 4th is Leader Starscream, and he is going to be one awesome toy.

Chaddymac
01-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Dude, we're probably not going to ever see a leader class Blackout. I hope I am wrong, but the odds are not in our favor.

This leader class for Bee is the 5th leader mold...just remember, the 4th is Leader Starscream, and he is going to be one awesome toy.
Eighth if you count the first movie's Brawl, Prime, and Megs.

Tycho
01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Leader Class by MOLDS - not repaints:

1) Optimus Prime 1
2) Megatron 1
3) Brawl
4) Optimus Prime 2
5) Megatron 2
6) Jetfire
7) Starscream
8) Bumblebee

Autobots = 4
Decepticons = 4

That's why they're making another Autobot I guess.

But Autobots are not that big for Leader Class toys.

From the movies there are still not:

a good Blackout / Grindor
a good Scrapper or Hightower

- all Decepticons.

If they want to do a big Autobot - make a Human Alliance Ironhide to the correct scale and include Major Lennox.

figrin bran
01-14-2010, 03:15 AM
I just watched the trailer for the upcoming War for Cybertron video game. It was probably just a mashup of cut scenes that I saw but those 2 minutes or so were greater than both TF films. I'm sold on the game! I'm sure Tycho will be as well.

Btw, Tycho, I think I may have that Legends Jetfire for you.

Chaddymac
01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
I just watched the trailer for the upcoming War for Cybertron video game. It was probably just a mashup of cut scenes that I saw but those 2 minutes or so were greater than both TF films. I'm sold on the game! I'm sure Tycho will be as well.

Btw, Tycho, I think I may have that Legends Jetfire for you.
Fig - could not agree with you more. Even more exciting, there apparently will be a toyline to support the video game.

Wait, that doesn't make sense. Why would they have a toyline to support a video game? Must be something else they are supporting. I wonder what it could be...?

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/war-for-cybertron-35/first-image-of-war-for-cybertron-optimus-prime-toy-168986/

JediTricks
01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Toys for toys' sake, that'd be nice.

Anyway, the trailer looked cool enough that I put it in the TFV news. The backgrounds seem very monotonous though, which has always been a problem conveying Cybertron, it ends up looking like a gray room with metal floor and spires. And Trypticon, really?

Chaddymac
01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Toys for toys' sake, that'd be nice.

Anyway, the trailer looked cool enough that I put it in the TFV news. The backgrounds seem very monotonous though, which has always been a problem conveying Cybertron, it ends up looking like a gray room with metal floor and spires. And Trypticon, really?
Keep your Trypticon bashing to yourself! That was my favorite part! And I agree with what you say about Cybertron, but I kind of love the fact that the surface of the planet transforms as the characters interact with it. That's really slick.

And I sincerely doubt there are toys just for toy's sake. We still don't know what Hasbro has planned for the Transformers series on Discovery...

figrin bran
01-15-2010, 01:32 AM
If this is how we can get an Omega Supreme, I'm all for it!

Tycho
01-18-2010, 05:17 AM
I got Human Alliance Barricade w. Frenzy at Wal-Mart tonight.

Awesomeness!

figrin bran
01-19-2010, 02:41 AM
Hmm...I may need to pay a visit to WM soon. Barricade would be my first HA TF and if I get him, I may as well get HA Bumblebee as well.

JetsAndHeels
01-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I got Human Alliance Barricade w. Frenzy at Wal-Mart tonight.

Awesomeness!

Hopefully it won't be long until they start showing up here now. I am excited to get it.

Tycho
01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
That was the first time I saw it. The package was crunched in on one side, but who cares? I open all my Transformers.

I will transform Barricade ONCE - as I want to display him in robot mode fighting HA Bumblebee and have Frenzy chasing Megan Fox :love:

"Do robots dream of electric women?"

figrin bran
01-24-2010, 12:43 AM
I've noticed that Target has raised the prices on Movie deluxes back to $13.

JetsAndHeels
01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Stopped by Walmart earlier tonight and there was 1 Human Alliance Barricade sitting on the shelf. I had to do a double take because I totally did not expect to see him there. Needless to say, he came home with me. :)

Tycho
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
JetsAndHeels: how are you liking HA Barricade and Frenzy? I still haven't opened mine, but I'm going to here pretty soon. It looks like a great set.

Meanwhile I love my little Legends figures! Figrin helped me acquire Jetfire, and now I have 5:

Optimus Prime and Jetfire vs. The Fallen, Megatron, and Starscream.

They're sitting here on top of my computer in their vehicle modes.

I intend to get the Devastator set of 6 Constructicons that JediTricks showed me when that's released. Then I think I'm good for Legends figures.

But they are so cool! It's like having GoBots all over again - with cooler characters!

I haven't tried to merge Optimus Prime and Jetfire yet. But I will sometime later. These are nice, fun little figures.

Now I'd love to find an all-black Ironhide pickup truck. And did they make Ratchet?

In keeping with scale, I'd only like to get the bigger Autobots.

JetsAndHeels
02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I love HA Barricade. In my opinion it is the best of the HA line, along with Bumblebee. Open it and begin enjoying.

JediTricks
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Boxed & loose pics of voyager-class Seaspray! http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/new-images-of-seaspray-in-and-out-of-package-169099/

This one looks pretty cool, looks like they put a lot of thought into this figure.

Chaddymac
02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Boxed & loose pics of voyager-class Seaspray! http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/new-images-of-seaspray-in-and-out-of-package-169099/

This one looks pretty cool, looks like they put a lot of thought into this figure.
This may ultimately prove to be unpopular, but I hate SeaS.P.Ray. Powerglide, while I wanted so badly to support him, ultimately came out as weak sauce. I didn't even buy the red version on clearance because I hated the mold so much after I bought it. And i don't want to make the blanket statement that the smaller bots should stay smaller - that's unfair, even if I am partial to that position. But SeaS.P.Ray looks like a movie toy inspired by G1. Which is fine if you love the movie toys, but I am largely "eh" about them. I would rather have a legends class Seaspray, modeled after the G1 version, with better articulation, than this voyager size figure.

To summarize, I find the figure acceptable as a feat of engineering; I find it passable from an aesthetic point of vie; I'm disappointed by the homage; I disagree with the movie/hybrid direction the line is taking (with the exception of Bludgeon and Lockdown who, for whatever reason, shimmer like glitter on pasties to me).

Tycho
02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I actually liked Powerglide a lot. I bought him (the realistic color version of the A-10) and display him fighting my Masterpiece Seekers.

Always dug Powerglide's character - showboating hotshot he was.

figrin bran
02-03-2010, 12:44 AM
JetsAndHeels: how are you liking HA Barricade and Frenzy? I still haven't opened mine, but I'm going to here pretty soon. It looks like a great set.

Meanwhile I love my little Legends figures! Figrin helped me acquire Jetfire, and now I have 5:

Optimus Prime and Jetfire vs. The Fallen, Megatron, and Starscream.

They're sitting here on top of my computer in their vehicle modes.

I intend to get the Devastator set of 6 Constructicons that JediTricks showed me when that's released. Then I think I'm good for Legends figures.

But they are so cool! It's like having GoBots all over again - with cooler characters!

I haven't tried to merge Optimus Prime and Jetfire yet. But I will sometime later. These are nice, fun little figures.

Now I'd love to find an all-black Ironhide pickup truck. And did they make Ratchet?

In keeping with scale, I'd only like to get the bigger Autobots.

Glad to hear that Jetfire arrived.

I look forward to getting Seaspray!

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 02:34 AM
This may ultimately prove to be unpopular, but I hate SeaS.P.Ray. Powerglide, while I wanted so badly to support him, ultimately came out as weak sauce. I didn't even buy the red version on clearance because I hated the mold so much after I bought it. And i don't want to make the blanket statement that the smaller bots should stay smaller - that's unfair, even if I am partial to that position. But SeaS.P.Ray looks like a movie toy inspired by G1. Which is fine if you love the movie toys, but I am largely "eh" about them. I would rather have a legends class Seaspray, modeled after the G1 version, with better articulation, than this voyager size figure.

To summarize, I find the figure acceptable as a feat of engineering; I find it passable from an aesthetic point of vie; I'm disappointed by the homage; I disagree with the movie/hybrid direction the line is taking (with the exception of Bludgeon and Lockdown who, for whatever reason, shimmer like glitter on pasties to me).Wow. I think it's a cool-looking figure and I don't see any movie aesthetic about it to boot. I am a sucker for sea vehicle characters though.

Tycho
02-03-2010, 07:23 AM
I like observing scale.

A Voyager SeaSpray might work with Legends BumbleBee, Sideswipe, Mudflap, Skids etc. Might.

I think it would be really cool if they made some kind of huge, ultimate Transformer like a submarine that would be large enough to fit a Leader Class like Optimus Prime or Megatron inside of it (in their vehicle mode).

We're talking sea vehicles here because JT brought it up.

Now as long as I'm fantasizing - how about an aircraft carrier scaled to various Starscreams:

They could do it for Legends Class Starscream, and make the carrier the size of an Ultimate figure (like that talking BumbleBee from the first movie). The carrier would still be larger, but making it far UNDER-SCALE, it could be done as an Ultimate.

A destroyer is possible as well - like a huge version of Depth Charge. Maybe a Legends Class helicopter could land on it? Did they make Legends Blackout or Grindor?

The issue with that is this: if the Naval vessel was a Decepticon, why wouldn't it try and use its power to take over by wiping out Megatron?

If the vessel was an Autobot, who'd use it? Jetfire is dead and if they bring in Powerglide - that's only one. We've already seen the Autobots prefer C-130's and air transport like that.

I don't think they should go large except for combiners. There, Devastator couldn't stay formed for long as his components like Scrapper, would get sick of acting in a collective - they're Decepticons and not prone to that. I would think an Autobot combiner like Superion or Defensor could hold it together longer simply because the D's are all too self-serving.

That being said, Decepticon combiners I wouldn't mind seeing are Bruticus and Menacor. I don't think Devastator is out of it at all. I think the rail gun blew him apart into his component team, but I don't think it killed any Constructicons.

The movie suggested Starscream ordered a retreat when Megatron was wounded and they saw Prime take down The Fallen.

Having lost the military battle, in the next movie I want to see the D's hire the ACLU to sue Prime in civil court.

One thing the movies have done well for me, is define the factions better. The D's think they are the legitimate government, as The Fallen is a Prime (turned dark side).

They see Optimus as a rebel upstart, as The Fallen, once part of the High Council, took over the legitimate government and made wiping out all other Primes part of his policy and everyone went along with it as they were too scared to do anything until Optimus showed up on the scene to lead them.

If this sounds like I'm a D - I'm not. I'm totally a fan of the Autobots. I just understand how the D's see things.

I think that's cool as it puts even more story behind the fight.

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
The packaging there says it works with Scout-class, which are basics. If you used Legends with it, it'd be the size of a ferry - which does exist, but has a different design slightly. This is a smaller scale, something like a military hovercraft meant to drop a single vehicle on a beach.

Tycho
02-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Hmmm. I may have to buy SeaSpray for use as a human-craft in my dioramas. I think the military had them in ROTF. There should be a cool new military scout class vehicle I could get to use with him.

I have to look at SeaSpray's colors again. I can't use the G1 bright blue and yellow. I need an ugly army green one.

figrin bran
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
No!!!!!! The upcoming "Transformers Prime" animated series will be produced by Kurtzman/Orci. :(

Chaddymac
02-08-2010, 01:14 AM
No!!!!!! The upcoming "Transformers Prime" animated series will be produced by Kurtzman/Orci. :(
Bob and Alex are actually really smart, talented guys. I blame Bay for the movies. As long as this doesn't connect to the movieverse, I think it'll be cool. Besides, in what capacity they'll be producing is still a mystery.

JediTricks
02-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Looks like TF:Prime will also be CGI. I guess Lucas has inspired Hasbro to go back to the ol' CG well with TF. I hope it'll be Clone Wars-esque CG and not ugly cell-shading like Energon was.

Having seen Orci & Kurtzman talk at the '09 Botcon, I have a new appreciation for them as a pair of guys. However, watching their movies and TV shows, and listening to their commentary on the Star Trek IV blu-ray, I really don't have much positive to say about them as writers. They are super focused on the wrong stuff, on acts and cliches and meanings and homages rather than just making work for work's sake. Comparing STIV's commentary with them to STII's commentary with Nick Meyer and Manny "I'm a Fan!" Coto is like night and day - Meyer talks about art and drama and acts not being important, compared to them Orci & Kurtzman come off very much more on the side of it being a job, pleasing the studio by using formulas to get the movie by the audience.

That said, for a cartoon I would think that would probably work in their favor. On the other OTHER hand, listening to the writers from the G1 series talk about writing that, even they had more integrity and ideas that they got to use there than Orci & Kurtzman's TF movies (and said so, which I respected) despite them writing a show they were directly told was to sell toys (although Hasbro let them run pretty loose with the sci-fi and character elements so long as big H could insert their new toy characters).

El Chuxter
02-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Bludgeon is mine. Oyes. I will update when I open him.

El Chuxter
02-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Bludgeon is indeed one sweet figure. I've loved the character for ages, ever since the comic turned him from one of the lamest Pretenders of all into the uber-badarse Decepticon who was the final leader before they were driven into exile. They did a great job with making him as much a skeletal samurai as is possible in a non-Pretender.

My only problem with him is, given the nature of Bludgeon (and what fanboy would go apesnot over him without knowing who he is? I notice Tycho hasn't really gotten excited about him), he should have rotating wrists. I wanted to display him the way I display many of my Joe ninjas who aren't in scenes, holding the sword in a defensive posture across his chest, but it's not possible with the wrist construction.

Oh, and I also saw a TRU exclusive Bludgeon vs Whirl today, and thought it was pretty clever that this version's bio seems to be a continuation of the one on that set. But, really, "Bludgeon was nearly destroyed by a fight with the Metallikato master Autobot Whirl"? C'mon, that's jacked. Whirl may be awesome, but Bludgeon could eradicate all traces of him in less than three minutes. An intelligence score of merely 5 isn't in line with the glory that is Bludgeon, either.

Chaddymac
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Bludgeon is indeed one sweet figure. I've loved the character for ages, ever since the comic turned him from one of the lamest Pretenders of all into the uber-badarse Decepticon who was the final leader before they were driven into exile. They did a great job with making him as much a skeletal samurai as is possible in a non-Pretender.

My only problem with him is, given the nature of Bludgeon (and what fanboy would go apesnot over him without knowing who he is? I notice Tycho hasn't really gotten excited about him), he should have rotating wrists. I wanted to display him the way I display many of my Joe ninjas who aren't in scenes, holding the sword in a defensive posture across his chest, but it's not possible with the wrist construction.

Oh, and I also saw a TRU exclusive Bludgeon vs Whirl today, and thought it was pretty clever that this version's bio seems to be a continuation of the one on that set. But, really, "Bludgeon was nearly destroyed by a fight with the Metallikato master Autobot Whirl"? C'mon, that's jacked. Whirl may be awesome, but Bludgeon could eradicate all traces of him in less than three minutes. An intelligence score of merely 5 isn't in line with the glory that is Bludgeon, either.
I have to agree with you, Chux - Bludgeon is a really, really cool figure. I got mine from Azon yesterday and could not be happier about the purchase. In addition to him being a really cool character, both modes are impressive, the transformation scheme is fun, and the features (katana, dagger, hidden storage place as well as sheathes for both) are spectacular. A really nice figure. Can't wait to pair the ultimate assassin with the ultimate bounty hunter when I find Lockdown.

figrin bran
02-11-2010, 01:42 AM
All the great reviews are making me regret passing up Bludgeon weeks ago. I haven't seen any since.

RUSHBOY
02-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I saw the new voyagers today at Target !! They had the new optimus prime (repaint) and the stealth bomber robot dude (forgot his name!!) They both looked sweet though ! :thumbsup: Also they had the legends 2 packs. The stealth bomber guy is Mindwipe, I just looked it up !

JediTricks
02-11-2010, 04:41 AM
I didn't even realize Amazon had current TFs. I see HA Barricade for $35 and Bludgeon there for $21, I'm going to order them both.

Chaddymac
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I didn't even realize Amazon had current TFs. I see HA Barricade for $35 and Bludgeon there for $21, I'm going to order them both.
Never thought to look for barricade, for some reason - I also bought him there. Thanks, JT! Now if only I could find Lockdown and TFA Cybertron Ratchet

JediTricks
02-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Sure thing.

Yeah, I gotta do road warrioring to find them and some of the other figures that just came out.

figrin bran
02-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Never thought to look for barricade, for some reason - I also bought him there. Thanks, JT! Now if only I could find Lockdown and TFA Cybertron Ratchet

Chaddy, I've been checking TRU.com every so often for TFA Arcee. Today a page for her was put up but it says "out of stock. temporarily not available". However, I don't believe any were available in the first place. I'll let you know if Cybertron Ratchet shows up (does not have a product page currently)

Chaddymac
02-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Chaddy, I've been checking TRU.com every so often for TFA Arcee. Today a page for her was put up but it says "out of stock. temporarily not available". However, I don't believe any were available in the first place. I'll let you know if Cybertron Ratchet shows up (does not have a product page currently)
Found Ratchet at Burbank TRU, but yeah - I saw that page too (been checking everyday because of how quickly exclusives can sell out). Thanks for the heads up, though!

JediTricks
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Toy Fair info coming in. Human Alliance Jazz! There's a pic at the end of the first video on this page: http://tformers.com/transformers-toy-fair-2010-live-transformers-news-updates-now/13054/news.html

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
So Masterpiece Grimmy is going to be a TRU exclusive. On the one hand, he'll be more than he would've been at WM. On the other, the distribution will be better. Wonder if the failure of Masterpiece Skywarp had anything to do with him going to TRU rather than WM?

War for Cybertron is the semi-G1 game based in the distant past, right? Wonder why they couldn't get the name "Straxus"? Can't think of anything else that uses that name, and a Google search shows nothing not TF-related using that name aside from some random usernames on various sites.

JediTricks
02-13-2010, 03:04 PM
TRU exclusive? That's wild! Where did you hear that? Yakface has a pic, I see it.

I suspect they didn't lose the name for Straxus, they probably made a mistake on the slide, that happens quite a bit. That "Darkmount" figure looks boss, but "TF: Generations" appears to be a new line, probably classics 3.0.

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 03:36 PM
TRU exclusive? That's wild! Where did you hear that? Yakface has a pic, I see it.

It was actually a bit further down in the page you linked to. Course, if they're updating as info comes in, it might not have been there when you linked.

JediTricks
02-13-2010, 03:42 PM
No, it was, but they are so slow the image didn't load until after I posted.

Yakface posted a slide with new scouts, Brimstone and Hubcap. Both look AWESOME! Hubcap is a 1920s coupe. Brimstone is a chopper motorcycle. Breacher and Insecticon look cool too.

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Interesting that when I looked at the page earlier, Drift was called something like "Dirt Bag," and the entire Generations section was labeled as "War for Cybertron."

Did you say there's a pic of the US Masterpiece Grimlock? Where is it, if I might ask? Wouldn't mind seeing the Generations figures, too. I could even get Drift if he looks good, though the character is about as lame as a dog with four broken legs.

JediTricks
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
MP Grimmy - http://www.yakface.com/Features/toyfair2010/misc/images/30.html

Only Generations slideshow pic I see is Straxus. TFW2k5 is reporting that the name didn't pass legal, so weird.

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Finally got the page of the Yakface pics to load. I'm going to definitely, definitely, definitely have to get Straxus. I'm not as excited about him as I am Teek, but I've been waiting, what, 24 years for Straxus.

Truth be told, I'm far more excited about the SDCC exclusive GIJoe figure, if their hints are correct....

JediTricks
02-13-2010, 04:56 PM
TFW2k5 has live pics from the booth, and War for Cybertron figs look cool! Man, if they had kept that garbage kibble off Bumblebee's forearms, he'd be the best 'Bee I've seen in a decade.

OMG! OMG!! The first Power Core Combiner 5-figure seems to be... yes, it's Bruticus! And Superion!
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/toy-fair-38/toy-fair-2010-live-photos-from-the-hasbro-display-169158/

The hints are correct, there's a pic of ol' Sarge on the Yak page.

Sorry I didn't attach the Straxus pic, it didn't occur to me at the time. Glad you saw it and dig it though. I think it looks pretty boss, and I don't know squat about Lord Straxus.

figrin bran
02-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Classics (or Generations I should say) Thrust!!! I wish I hadn't bought ROTF Thrust now.

I struck out yet again trying to find TFA Cybertron Ratchet and Arcee today.

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Today I received HA Barricade, Voyager Bludgeon, and SWTF CW Y-wing and Twilight.

I just opened up the Y-wing, figured I'd start with the weakest first. From alt mode, it's got the mark of suck upon it. I stick it out though, and about a third of the way through transformation it starts to get interesting, little clever stuff. By the end, there's a jet-pack (made from blatant kibble, but still) and a decent proportioned Clone Pilot robot, and a few more clever bits, and flip-out holsters with removable pistols in them! The bot mode is nearly charming! I'm shocked.

figrin bran
02-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Today I received HA Barricade, Voyager Bludgeon, and SWTF CW Y-wing and Twilight.

I just opened up the Y-wing, figured I'd start with the weakest first. From alt mode, it's got the mark of suck upon it. I stick it out though, and about a third of the way through transformation it starts to get interesting, little clever stuff. By the end, there's a jet-pack (made from blatant kibble, but still) and a decent proportioned Clone Pilot robot, and a few more clever bits, and flip-out holsters with removable pistols in them! The bot mode is nearly charming! I'm shocked.

Funny thing is that I got that CW Y-Wing TF as well. It rang up at only $6.99 at Target so I figured why not. Twilight was regular price however.

I liked it too, enough for a B+.

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 05:55 AM
My jaw dropped at that price, nice get.

The Y-wing / Pilot has the hardest-to-move hip joints I've ever seen, for a while I thought just the hinges below the hips were the movable parts. But no, he's got real hip joints.

Here's my 411 on the others.

The Twilight gets away with murder, it shouldn't be as nifty as it is. It's not weathered even a little, but it looks right in every other respect, and the only kibble is the exposed right arm folded up on the bottom and the left hand, as well as the semi-visible R2-D2. It's nifty and whooshable. The outrigger cannon actually rotates, and the lower wing really pivots (the upper cannon doesn't pivot but is removable). Transformation is unusual, starting with de-legoforming 2 blasters, R2, and the shield made from the outer wing. Then panels start moving and folding and stuff is sliding, it's unusual, and at the end is an odd but somewhat satisfying figure. If one side of the chest locked the way the other did, it'd be considerably better, and there's a bit of a kibble battle on the arms, but it's not too bad. The head is a stylistic choice I'm not sure about, the deco plus the sculpt makes it a tough one to decide about, but it kind of works its way through that. Having 2 guns, a lightsaber, a shield, and a robot buddy is easily the most accessories any non-Death Star figure in the line has got to date. It's top charm is it really is an Action Fleet-quality ship, and as a SWTF it's fair plus a little different from the norm.

Bludgeon is wild, very cool. The alt mode is decent, nice tank mode, although the tank barrel doesn't quite go straight because it's a sword handle and comes out of the factory slightly bent. Transformation is involved and awkward at first, but more straightforward the second time around. The one sticking point is the midsection, it's just REALLY difficult to move forward or back. The bot mode is precisely what it intends to be, but that also means it has intentional kibble (samurai armor is tough to deal with in toys), the tiny heelspurs, and the hands not having more articulation does put a damper on the fun. The automorph knife sheath reveal is easily one of the most entertaining and detailed things they've done with the concept. And having the long sword (which IMO is too long) and knife slip into slots on the hip armor is really nifty too. All in all, quite nifty.

HA Barricade. Alt mode is very nice. The most effort to date has been made to create a realistic interior, odd since the driver is the only non-human so far. Kibble is confined to the back, visible from the sides and rear below the fenders and bumper. Deco is pretty good. Frenzy is pretty odd stuff, too bulky to really work as the character, red eyes, rubbery parts, and the same odd HA figure articulation but used in weird ways. He can be folded up and stored in the engine bay, not as efficiently as the Deluxe figure but cleaner.

Transformation starts ugly, the first step is "PULL EVERYTHING SIDEWAYS" basically, more car gets pulled away than the deluxe even, which is saying a lot. From there it's a lot of limb and panel unfolding. It's simplistic really, but keeps stuff moving just enough to hide that and not feel like a waste.

Bot mode is the epitome of frustration, it seems like the sculpting isn't that fine, but it is. It seems like it's not that accurate, yet it is. It suffers a bunch of the same problems as the deluxe figure: There's another hollow chest issue on display. The arms are just a big mass of folded up side of car. One of the hands is basically non-existant due to the springing death-wheel gimmick. And most of all, the hips and legs are beyond problematic. The legs seem impossible to work with thanks to the INTENTIONAL FAILURE OF DESIGN known as the hips, they actually lock out the normal hip configuration, making the hip rotation at a downward 45 degree angle, which is UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY USELESS. There's a mountain of leg articulation, and all of it is rendered unusable by the unholy hip design. But with a lot of patience, with some faith that the designers know what they were intending and the instruction writers missed it, with the ability to look past the obvious and dig really deep into the true spirit of a TransFan, perseverance can realize an attractive, triumphant, powerful, BALANCED pose that goes a long way towards redeeming this figure. What do you have to do? Throw out everything you believe about an action figure hip, go the exact opposite, so that the thighs SEEM to be going knock-kneed, and then rotate the lower thigh in a way that seems like it'll flunk, and voila, the disaster that was the Hasbro way is turned into the genius that is the Takara intentions. Yes, the figure still has long kibbly arms, yes his left hand doesn't exist without massive imagination for no reason whatsoever, and yes his head is too narrow. All that is entirely true. But now he looks GOOD doing it, he looks like a robot should, the legs are long and look proportionate against the upper body, the lower legs are under him instead of in front of him, the figure can stand tall and really look right for the first time in any Barricade toy's life. I will post pics tomorrow comparing them because it's IMPORTANT to fans to know what it can be.

What else is going on with Barricade? He's got a fold-out mortar launcher on the shoulder, it's not really disguised at all so there's almost no reason to fold it out, the gimmick is especially labored for the Frenzy interaction. There's 2 fold-out guns under the chest, Frenzy sticks out of the chest cavity and puts his hands near them (the handles are angled oddly, there may be a way to get him to hold them but I don't see it). His left... hand? No, it's not a hand. His left non-hand springs out at the push of the gas cap to become a wheel with 4 flat fingers on either side, then you can spread the fingers into blades (they have unique stops to make an easy equidistant spread) thus having his signature spinny blade, but it's a ways out in front. Frenzy can stand behind his head for no reason, all Master Blaster style. Barricade's eyes are light-piped purple Oh, and he's got a muppet-mouth. Yes, his lower jaw remains still while the rest of his head can move up and down, and he's got sculpted lines to be teeth inside, it mostly works. The jaw isn't stuck, it can move up too, it just has more resistance than the head.

There are a few gaps but surprisingly they can be smoothed over by moving parts only a little. The back kibble isn't so overwhelming as the previous figure either. He's pretty solid and decently articulated, although the hips and legs require creativity for movement - if you've played with Playmates' Star Trek The Next Generation figures with their V-crotches, this is the same thing. The waist is articulation, but it's a SUPER tough joint to the point where I wasn't initially sure it was supposed to move - but it has full range and no transformational purpose, so it is supposed to. The figure is very locked together, tight connections, nothing flops about or really gets in the way once you figure it all out. It's not even that kibbly, from a certain point of view.

Initially, before I realized how the legs could be done "right", this Barricade figure was pretty low, maybe a "D" grade. Once I was able to fix a clear issue that had haunted the original deluxe figure as well, it was easier to smooth out other little issues and see it for what it was meant to be. It still has flaws and frustrations, and I need to spend more time with it to decide how I feel, but it's definitely above "C" grade, somewhere between "C+ and "B".

I can't believe I wasted an hour writing this.

Chaddymac
02-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I can, and for that, I thank you

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I can, and for that, I thank you
You're welcome? :D

I made a correction. The statement about the XMO: Wolverine figures wasn't accurate, that's what made me think of it for the alternate transformation, but as soon as my head hit the pillow last night I knew what this was - it's a V-crotch design. It's been so long since figures used that design that I forgot all about it. Normally, it's used to make an organic limb look more natural, so using it on a Transformer is really odd. But it works, considering that's what it is.

Once I've woken up a little more, I'll take the comparison photos of the height. I took a look at the official Hasbro photo and the legs are half an inch shorter at least and all bunched up.

Chaddymac
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
For the LAists out there, Burbank Target had Mindwipe and Bludgeon and the Ratchet/Lockdown wave. I got the only Mindwipe for a friend. A few of everything else left.

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 04:21 PM
D'oh! Everything at once is frustrating, especially when it's not me finding it. :p Good get tho'.

Chaddymac
02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
My friend passed on Mindwipe - PM me if you want it, otherwise it's going back to Target. I might have an extra Lockdown too.

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 06:13 PM
My friend passed on Mindwipe - PM me if you want it, otherwise it's going back to Target. I might have an extra Lockdown too.
Thanks for the offer. How much was it before tax, do you remember?

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Here are the photos. I'm feeling horrible today, so they are cheap, quick & dirty cellphone shots, sorry.

Here's how Hasbro thinks this figure should look:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266188908311.jpg
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266188862324.jpg

Here's how I think it was actually designed:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266188621430.jpg
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266188673497.jpg

Oh, and I measured it, nearly an entire inch different. That'd be a foot and a half in real scale.

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I dunno what it is, I cannot get this to work. I need to lock down a camera and align the subject, but I'm way too exhausted for that. I took a few more compare photos, but only these are close, and the stupid slight difference in shot angle plus hasbro's angled chest kills what I'm getting at:
Short & dumpy:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266190931370.jpg
Tall & tough:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266191132478.jpg

Here's a couple more shots I wasted my time with:
Studly:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266190464558.jpg
Dudly:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1266190868880.jpg

figrin bran
02-15-2010, 11:50 PM
I picked up the Target Legends Smokescreen/Starscream pack on clearance yesterday for only $4.88.

Tycho
02-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Human Alliance:

Disgruntlement (sort of): I'll be buying 1 MORE HA BumbleBee (at least).

I really like the way my HA BumbleBee looks fighting with SideSwipe and having Skids as a vehilce - the same way I plan to use Mudflap when I get him. I'll add the motorcycle with Arcee and Simmons figure with Epps, Sam, and Mikaela.

I'll need a separate BumbleBee to pose with Barricade. I still have not opened Barricade yet. I realize now that it's because I don't want him to replace SideSwipe in my display like I'd originally intended. So I won't. Now I can happily get to opening Barricade. The HA collection needs Decepticons so badly! [Sideways with Alice (inc both human pretender and robot versions of her) / Rampage w. Prisoner Sam Witwicky - just make them already, Hasbro!!!]

Next, Jazz with Capt. Lennox. *Sigh* I was never one of Jazz's biggest fans, even back in G1 days. But I actually like him, I just liked Wheeljack (for one) much more. Hound and Mirage were also more interesting - by good margins.

I really wanted a Capt. / Maj. Lennox figure, but Jazz is dead. I guess Barricade is as well, but he's a good enemy for BumbleBee - though so would be Rampage.

Jazz best goes with Megatron and Optimus Prime for that final Mission City battle. I don't know if we'll ever see anything close to HA Megatron or Prime however. They do make Transformers that big though: Ultimate BumbleBee comes to mind, as well as Omega Supreme, Ultimate Devastator from the new movie line, too. Prime or Megatron haven't been done that big before to my knowledge though.

Who would a giant HA Prime or Megatron come with? Sam Witwicky (again) works in most cases. Simmons with Prime could work though - from when Prime tried to scare him in the first movie. Sam in a different outfit would be alright, too. Or they could include 2 figures with Prime: Sam and Mikaela.

A HA Ironhide would have always worked best for Lennox.

Secretary of Defense Keller (John Voight) could be made with Megatron (the jet from the first movie) and you could include Glen the computer hacker (Anthony Anderson) with him as well -or in such a high price-point, repack the Deluxe Scorponok. I think he'd be the right size.

A Megatron from the 2nd movie should include The Doctor Insecticon (Scalpel?) and what not.

Anyway, I'm glad the HA is continuing with Jazz, though he's not who I would have asked for. Besides, isn't Pontiac out of business anyway? Or should they include President Obama with Jazz since he's the CEO now anyway? ;)
BTW, Obama is the CIC in Transformers anyway. He's just off-screen in the movie.

JediTricks
02-20-2010, 04:50 AM
First off, Tycho... um, not to rain on your parade, but this just came to me: Barricade fought '76 Camaro Bumblebee, not 2010 Camaro BB, so buying another HA BB will get you the wrong figure there.

So, HA Jazz & Lennox come with a motorcycle, but instead of a robot the bike transforms into a weapon emplacement. I guess this is the scene taking out Blackout. I'm not complaining, the Pontiac Solstice is a pretty dinky car and Jazz was the smallest in the movie.

I transformed all 3 of my HA figures yesterday (I don't have Skids, nor do I intend to) and my opinion of Barricade within the series improved slightly, while my opinion of the other 2 cooled a little more. What is with Hasbro's need to neuter hands in this line? Only Sideswipe gets away with 2, and he's got swords stuck to both of 'em. Bumblebee is needlessly obtuse and frustratingly sloppy in design, stuff like his chest is fully unacceptable, and why not have the chairs fold flat against the forearms at least? The pegs for the figures to stand in the hands of most of the figures is a very Japanese idea IMO, and they put it on Barricade but they didn't include a rotation joint in the forearm anywhere so he has to hold his entire arm straight out to do it - whoops! Barricade is the same height as BB at the head, but has taller kibble (it's in the film, so it's not REALLY kibble, but we all know what the score is). All 3 have decent extra weapons in the form of stuff intended for Human Alliance interaction, BB has the forearm twin blaster and the shoulder mortars or whatever they are, Sideswipe has the shoulder gun and chair cannon/missile launcher, and Barricade has the chest guns and shoulder-mounted rockets.

Tycho
02-20-2010, 05:28 PM
First off, Tycho... um, not to rain on your parade, but this just came to me: Barricade fought '76 Camaro Bumblebee, not 2010 Camaro BB, so buying another HA BB will get you the wrong figure there.

It'll be close enough. And I don't want Hasbro to expend resources doing a '70's Camaro HA Figure while the line severely lacks Decepticons.

The name of the line "Human Alliance" makes it inaccurate if they do Decepticons, but Alice looks like a human most of the time, and Ron Witwicky's "alliance" is coerced by Rampage.

They could do so much more if they go up the scale and issue Ultimate figures with these interactive mini-figures. People paid a lot for Devastator - why wouldn't they for Prime, Ironhide, Megatron, and Starscream?

Chaddymac
02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
I've heard "Human Defiance" bounced around as the Decepticon subline. I like it!

figrin bran
02-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I joined the Bludgeoners Club today!

Also found/bought TFA Cybertron Ratchet at TRU. Oddly there were 10 of him and none of Arcee.

Chaddymac
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
I joined the Bludgeoners Club today!

Also found/bought TFA Cybertron Ratchet at TRU. Oddly there were 10 of him and none of Arcee.
Was that at Los Feliz TRU? I have a feeling they might have been picked off in the back room. Unless someone showed up and just bought all 10 Arcees, because I've never heard anyone say they found even one Arcee there and I know people that have been checking regularly. Besides, they usually sell in closer to even numbers (even though Arcee is more popular). Boo, LF TRU. Tre boo.

JetsAndHeels
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I had a great toy weekend.

Friday I got Mindwipe.

Saturday I got Lockdown, Brawn, Ratchet, Strike Mission Sideswipe.

Plus a bunch of the new CW figures but that is for another thread.

Tycho
02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I've seen Mindwipe in the stores here, Steve. He looks really cool. Let us know what you think when you open him.

I didn't particularly need the figure, but I dig that kind of stealth plane.

El Chuxter
02-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Hmm, Mindwipe looks pretty cool from the small pic I found on Hasbrotoyshop. I might have to consider that one.

JetsAndHeels
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
I will make sure to let you know my thoughts about Mindwipe, Josh. I will probably open him tomorrow, since I am going through a bunch of Armada and Energon figures I just bought from a friend of mine here.

figrin bran
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Was that at Los Feliz TRU? I have a feeling they might have been picked off in the back room. Unless someone showed up and just bought all 10 Arcees, because I've never heard anyone say they found even one Arcee there and I know people that have been checking regularly. Besides, they usually sell in closer to even numbers (even though Arcee is more popular). Boo, LF TRU. Tre boo.

Yes, it was at Los Feliz TRU.

I picked up Lockdown at Target today. He is different enough from the Animated mold that I decided to give it a try. I would've bought Brawn as well but didn't think I'd like it too much.

figrin bran
02-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Lockdown is just as awesome as Bludgeon is! I'm glad I decided to get him.

JediTricks
02-22-2010, 02:42 AM
TRU La Cienega had half a dozen Cybertron Ratchets, zero Arcees which naturally is the figure I'm looking for. I have a very bad feeling about this mess, and it bodes poorly for the other figures coming out in TF:A, not to mention the SW exclusive wave.

I was wondering, has anybody picked up Brakedown? Opinions on it? I keep seeing this figure and keep passing because it looks super bland and the Scout pricepoint is too high at my local Target.

I picked up Deluxes on Target's $10 sale at La Cienega Target: Lockdown, Ratchet, Brawn. Same store also had a single scout Divebomb (red baron repaint of Ransack, I would have bought but low on cash), which meant I missed Skystalker.

Lockdown is very cool. Vehicle mode is a clever reinterpretation of the animated character. Ground clearance is close, and can be bottomed out by positioning the thighs, wheels, or even claw wrong. Transformation is interesting, and would be fun if not for the shoulders popping out of their joints too easily, and their kibble getting in the way. Bot mode is pretty good, but the small number of kibble pieces are a little frustrating on such a skinny figure. The right hand being a permanent hook (a rubbery one) is a weird choice, but it fits I guess. He's tall and fairly well articulated, especially the head and lower body, though his arms are simple ball shoulders and hinge elbows, and he has no waist. Lots of sculpted detailing. The head has great light-piping in bright red-orange, it's intense; the head is meant to be raised up high on its joint and then have its chin pulled away from the neck, the middle of the neck being bent forward a little too, this makes him look more like the character and keeps the neck from looking too flat, which it can too easily. Attaching dlx movie Ratchet's EMP missile launcher gun (a bland, standard-gun type of design) keeps his left arm permanently bent. His blower is smaller and has no gimmick, it can't even attach to this Ratchet figure which IMO is a huge blunder. Overall, pretty good, lots of great detail in both modes, huge, but a little frustrating due to small kibble issues and easily-popped shoulders and hips.

Ratchet is crap in alt mode. Small and mountains of bot kibble sticking out the bottom and even noticeable in the back of the "truck bed", plus there's a nasty gap above the front wheels. Transformation is annoying and very panel oriented, there are a small number of good ideas in a few spots but they are dreadfully lost in execution. Bot mode is pretty weak sauce. It's the movie 1 character, but he's been sick lately and lost weight, then slapped on a few big kibble pieces on his hips and shoulders to make up for it. The chest is way hollow from the side, and somewhat from the front too, and it's awful for it. They concentrated more on the moving fog lights, then gave them no shape and made them dark blue so they get totally lost. The legs have basically no detail, they're blobby, and don't even have paint to help pick up the pieces. The big kibble hip panels have so little detail it's insulting. The arms are in the same boat, but less articulation and the right arm has ugly gears and springs for the gun gimmick. The head is like Ratchet if he were a robot bird, and light-piped in such a dark color that more light shines through the plastic around the eyes than the eyes themselves. Articulation is fair, but a lot of it is limited. The gun is ok, and I like the gimmick concept - mount it to the forearm and the forearm clamps around the side and back, adding another element - but the gears don't lock down, and the springs are so strong they often shoot the gun back off the forearm. I think the most annoying thing about this figure, and there's a lot to be annoyed by, is that it fails little by little everywhere, and any fan could have seen ways to avoid its myriad problems. I'm half tempted to take this figure back for sucking, but then I would have returned both the deluxe and the voyager class Ratchets for that.

Brawn is pretty cool in alt mode, but the focus on the round rail bars would probably be cooler if I owned the new Ironhide with the clip-on weapons system. As it is, Brawn is an armored truck with a satellite antenna and long rifle permanently mounted to the roof, a bunch of thick armored railing around the back, and almost entirely cast in dark olive which combined with the simple deco makes it a bit more drab than it deserves. The rifle can pivot up 45 degrees, but can't turn. No kibble to speak of, provided you don't pick it up and see the bot head and chest sitting right in the middle of the undercarriage. Transformation isn't too bad for something with this much panel action, but the hips pop off way too easily, and the instructions overthink and confuse issues too. Robot mode is an odd, kibbly thing, but not entirely bad. The entirety of the truck ends up as shell parts on the back, shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees, to the point of being shameful. The bot himself is dark silver, dark green, a greenish metallic color, and a few red accents. The head is an odd armored look with black, beady eyes lost in black paint - they're lightpiped but such a dark color and an odd angle that it doesn't come through at all. The figure transforms with twin pistols in hand, they'd be pretty cool if they weren't half-translucent and half the same color as his fists, that was a boneheaded choice. The pistols can store inside the back kibble, there's a small tab which corresponds to a slot in the pistols' grips. The rifle is permanently attached to the back, hinged in several spots to end up over either shoulder. Sculpting is fair, not outstanding but detail everywhere you look, and not all matching. Articulation is decent. I think I like this figure a little, but it is an odd duck and kibbly as all get-out.

figrin bran
02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
TRU La Cienega did not have those TFA Cybertron Ratchets on Saturday.

Everyone and their mother seems to want TFA Arcee. Is it because she's the closest thing to a G1 Arcee?

Chaddymac
02-22-2010, 01:06 PM
TRU La Cienega did not have those TFA Cybertron Ratchets on Saturday.

Everyone and their mother seems to want TFA Arcee. Is it because she's the closest thing to a G1 Arcee?
In answer to your questions, yes. However, the quickness with which Arcee was emptied from the shelves and the ridiculously high ratio of Cyb Ratchet's that remained implies to me that the Arcees went out the back door and onto E-bay. That, or they're at Big Lou's. Someone should check Big Lou's.

figrin bran
02-23-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't want to check Big Lou's, Chaddy, but there sure are a lot of auctions for TFA Arcee.

Chaddymac
02-23-2010, 03:28 AM
No one wants to check Big Lou's, Figgy. No one. *tear*

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 03:57 AM
TRU La Cienega did not have those TFA Cybertron Ratchets on Saturday. Crazy! I hit 3 TRUs today - Los Feliz, Monrovia, and Burbank - and no dice at all either. Los Feliz had 1 Ratchet remaining, it was in some guy's hands when I got there.

In answer to your questions, yes. However, the quickness with which Arcee was emptied from the shelves and the ridiculously high ratio of Cyb Ratchet's that remained implies to me that the Arcees went out the back door and onto E-bay. That, or they're at Big Lou's. Someone should check Big Lou's.Big Lou's, now there's a name I've not heard in a long time. ;)

No one wants to check Big Lou's, Figgy. No one. *tear*Actually, a buddy of mine SWEARS by Big Fat Louser's, I can't get him to stop going to that turd of a shop.

So, a big thanks to Chaddy, he procured me Mindwipe.

Mindwipe is pretty boss, and from the top and sides, one of the nicest TF jets ever: no undercarriage fat at all in silhouette. The underside has the head on display (although it is an esoteric head, so it's not like you're looking at Spike Witwicky hanging under there) and a few mishmashed bits. But it's great to have a stealth TF jet that really is plausible as one. It's a slick-looking jet too, the swept wings and unique cockpit look great. I don't really love the TF writing on the wings, but it's not a dealbreaker. No gimmicks here, but it does have simple landing gear which folds up.

Transformation in the manual is an incoherent disastrous mess from step 2 (step 1 is "fold up landing gear"), and what they suggest is patently impossible without unplugging other stuff first. In fact, it took me 15 minutes to figure out what part WAS supposed to move first since it's a well-held plane. Once I got the idea, I ignored the hell out of the instructions, they kept on being obtuse when I'd check back to make sure I was getting near the toy's basics. Transformation once you get the concept isn't too difficult, but it moves stuff around more cleverly than it even seems. Folding up the torso is confusing thanks to the worthless instructions, the figure seems like it's done when it's not. This would be a slick deluxe transformation scheme, but as a voyager it somehow seems almost simple.

Bot mode is very cool, very themed, and very clean, no slop or waste. I like how the 2 sets of wings look, the tails fold together to become a backpack of sorts, it looks "fast". Then the shoulderpads have the main wings folded around in a close, nasty way that looks right. There are 2 gimmicks in bot mode, and neither feel particularly important. The first is folding the big wings back, it folds up 2 sets of little red feather things that are of no consequence, and when this happens it bends the wingtips in which actually is kinda nifty. The second gimmick is the spring-out knife under each forearm, this is boring for 2 reasons, you have to manually set them ahead of time, they aren't positioned for the spring clip via transformation; and they have like 30 degrees of travel, which is especially meh. They're alright knives, don't get me wrongo, but the spring action is a total flop - no drama. The look has some good detail but is bettter carried by the larger shapes, the sculpted details are ok but not fine enough to carry it by themselves. The head is unusual and a little bat-like (he's honestly cooler than the original character), the face has a visor with 2 tiny silver eyes near the bottom, it is a little hypnotizing :p. Colors added to the game are greenish gold, dark burnt red, , and some translucent vibrant red.

Articulation is pretty good, although he lacks rotation below the elbow which with underhanded knives seemed like a must to me. The legs have no rotation below the hip which is odd, but there's a sweet subtle tilt hinge in the feet, and the shins have extra hinging for chicken-legged action, but that looks way silly so I don't really get why it's there, they don't seem to use it or need it. The head is ball-jointed, the neck hinged, the shoulders rotate and hinge out, upper bicep swivels, double-hinged elbows but range limited to around 90 degrees, wrists hinged for transformation, waist rotates, ratcheting ball-hinged hips, swivel upper thighs, hinge knees that go nearly 180, mid-thigh hinged on chicken-leg joint, ankle hinged, and ankle side-hinged.

Overall, I get the feeling this figure was designed as a Deluxe and scaled up, there's just something about the proportions, transformation, sculpted details, and articulation that seems like it was meant to be a boss deluxe. That said, it's a very keen figure on its own in this scale, a cool customer and a good-looking Decepticon, it just suffers from underwhelming gimmicks and horrible instructions.

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 05:46 AM
My little Transformers website has been tasked by Hasbro with giving away a TF ROTF toy, and the one they chose for us to give away is RPMs Devastator Showdown track set. So if you want this thing, post in the thread over on TFV: http://www.tfviews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=543

Tycho
02-26-2010, 06:21 AM
I got Legends Class Devastator tonight.

This 7 Constructicon assembler team is so much better than any previous Devastator - except that it is so small.

I wish they'd remake Devastator with Deluxe and Voyager Class figures - probably all Voyager Class would work.

That would be Michael-Bay-Awesome!

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Glad you got one. How's your Legends display looking now?

Tycho
02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Glad you got one. How's your Legends display looking now?

Thanks.

Well, Devastator is still fighting to break out of his box.

Prime and Jetfire are combined (BTW - Figrin got me Legends Jetfire - with much thanks) and now (today) I finally saw one on the pegs at Wal-Mart :rolleyes:.

They face The Fallen, Megatron, and Starscream in jet mode.

When I get around to opening Devastator, I'm going to break him down as follows:

Robots:

Scrapper
Hightower
Overload

They do not make these figures in any other way in such that I can display them as 'bots.

Vehicles:

Rampage
Long Haul
Scavenger
Mix Master

I have them in vehicle mode as RPMs, though not Scavenger / Demolisher (his Voyager figure is in robot mode and his Ultimate is part of Ultimate Devastator).

I may Transform Long Haul to robot mode though - since not only do I have the RPM dump truck, but Long Haul looks really good in both modes and adds his green color to the red bot of Overload, and the yellow bots of Scrapper and Hightower.

Since Optimus/Jetfire can't face all the baddies alone, I might get Legends Ratchet and Legends Sideswipe, and use them in the rear so they're smaller in my display, by way of perspective.

I have too many Bumblebees, and Ironhide would need to be black. I may try and find a black Ironhide on eBay as people here are telling me that they made him as a Legend for the first movie. I didn't buy Legends then.

Question, did they make BumbleBee as the 2010 Camaro for Legends back then, just in case? I remember the 1976 Camaro, but I want the 2010.

Also, I think I'll look for Ratchet in the correct green color. This leaves me the option of keeping a green figure (Long Haul) in vehicle form again if only to make the 3 Constructicons that don't have other figures (Scrapper, Hightower, and Overload) really stand out as robots.

It will also be good to have at least one version of Scavenger in vehicle mode. I think the large wheeled robot is definitely different than a 2-legged typical bot, so it's alright with me - but I already have that displayed as his Voyager figure and there is no RPM of Scavenger / Demolisher.

I think Constructicons are cool. Like Decepticon army engineers!

figrin bran
02-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Tycho, isn't 2010 Camaro Bumblebee in that Target exclusive Legends 2 pack? I saw those on clearance at one Target today so you may be able to get it for pretty cheap.

The NEST Bumblebee/Soundwave 2 packs were on clearance at that same store as well so I got one of those since I don't have a movie Soundwave.

So today, after 11 trips to various TRU's and checking her product page on TRU.com daily for the past month of so, I finally have Transformers Animated Arcee!!!! I'm going to open her right now.

Tycho
02-26-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't want another non-movie character Legends figure though.

I'll have to look again to see what that BumbleBee comes with, but I'd buy the BumbleBee off of someone who wants the other figure.

Or I'd sell the other figure. It'd be half of the clearance price. So I guess that's a good deal.

El Chuxter
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh. My. GOD! (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-transformers-war/62342)

I'm guessing it's a new continuity, as it doesn't quite mesh with any previous G1 incarnation I know of, but, damn, that looks sweet! The bit with the Omega Sentinel (might be Omega Supreme, but coloration is a bit different) was freaking awesome. Not that the whole thing wasn't, but that was awesome on the scale of Teek and Jaxxon singing "Baby Got Back."

Want, want, want, want!

figrin bran
02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Chux, while that's a new trailer, we've been talking about that War on Cybertron game for a few months now. Most of us are in agreement that these 30 second trailers completely crush the Bay movies many times over.

El Chuxter
02-27-2010, 01:36 AM
I knew about the game, but hadn't been following the clips. This one made me poop my pants. Twice. The third time, I was smart enough to not put on another pair. :lipsrsealed:

figrin bran
02-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I bought Skystalker today based on great reviews and was not disappointed at all! It gets a solid A from me.

Animated Arcee gets an A-/B+ from me. Not nearly as outstanding as TFA Blurr, my main gripe is a QC problem. At least on my Arcee, the right knee joint was incorrectly molded and there's a tab that prevents the lower part of the leg from extending all the way back. Being able to store her swords on the backpacks is a great addition and bot mode is clearly TFA Arcee's strength. Her clip on wings aren't anything like the ones on the cardback or the instructions so it was a bit confusing figuring out how to put them on her.

JediTricks
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I worked pretty hard to track down Skystalker the other night. It's an ok scout, too much undercarriage stuff for my tastes to be totally satisfied though. As for interaction with Mindwipe, right now I'm not seeing how it helps Mindwipe at all. In alt mode, it makes no visual sense, it's a little fun that they link but it doesn't really have any logic to it. In bot mode, it comes off as a cross between sitting on the shoulder and being a ventriloquist's dummy. It's a nifty addition to Skystalker, but I don't see it adding much to Mindwipe.

--

Thanks to Figrin Bran, I was able to finally score an Arcee.

Bran, your Arcee's knee problem is not alone, mine was like that too, I just shaved it down a bit.

I'm a little annoyed at Hasbro over this figure. The thumbs on the hands are already showing stress marks from holding the swords, they're so long that they're all but guaranteed to fail and break those thumbs off, and there's NO way to replace them because of how hard to find this figure is.

I'm also annoyed because I already need to replace mine for another reason, there's bled white plastic trailing through the right eye on mine.

Finally, I'm annoyed at Hasbro for making her wings larger and moving them up the backpack.

But otherwise, she's a pretty cool customer. Alt mode is cool, and bot mode is quite nifty, very personable. She's quite poseable, they chose the exact right types of articulation for a sword-carrying figure like this, especially the waist, shoulders, neck, and forearms.

The regular-type issues I have are the paint wears off easily from some edges. The transformation back to alt mode gets unattractive around the midsection where the toes and the side kibble don't lock down so they have to be aligned manually. There are a few small ugly sections in both modes where they didn't sculpt the parts covered so they're gappy. The toes come off too easily. And the face is semi-exposed in alt mode. None of these are deal-breakers, but they are issues none the less.

I'd give Arcee a B, it's a pretty good but the limited nature hurts and there are enough little issues that could lead to damage that amplify that.

Chaddymac
03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
You know how they could totally improve Arcee? By making a Classics version!

I'm just sayin'...

How does Mindwipe interact with Skystalker in bot mode? I didn't see that.

El Chuxter
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Classics Arcee is one I would buy, if they kept it relatively close to the G1 robot model.

figrin bran
03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I worked pretty hard to track down Skystalker the other night. It's an ok scout, too much undercarriage stuff for my tastes to be totally satisfied though. As for interaction with Mindwipe, right now I'm not seeing how it helps Mindwipe at all. In alt mode, it makes no visual sense, it's a little fun that they link but it doesn't really have any logic to it. In bot mode, it comes off as a cross between sitting on the shoulder and being a ventriloquist's dummy. It's a nifty addition to Skystalker, but I don't see it adding much to Mindwipe.

--

Thanks to Figrin Bran, I was able to finally score an Arcee.

Bran, your Arcee's knee problem is not alone, mine was like that too, I just shaved it down a bit.

I'm a little annoyed at Hasbro over this figure. The thumbs on the hands are already showing stress marks from holding the swords, they're so long that they're all but guaranteed to fail and break those thumbs off, and there's NO way to replace them because of how hard to find this figure is.

I'm also annoyed because I already need to replace mine for another reason, there's bled white plastic trailing through the right eye on mine.

Finally, I'm annoyed at Hasbro for making her wings larger and moving them up the backpack.

But otherwise, she's a pretty cool customer. Alt mode is cool, and bot mode is quite nifty, very personable. She's quite poseable, they chose the exact right types of articulation for a sword-carrying figure like this, especially the waist, shoulders, neck, and forearms.

The regular-type issues I have are the paint wears off easily from some edges. The transformation back to alt mode gets unattractive around the midsection where the toes and the side kibble don't lock down so they have to be aligned manually. There are a few small ugly sections in both modes where they didn't sculpt the parts covered so they're gappy. The toes come off too easily. And the face is semi-exposed in alt mode. None of these are deal-breakers, but they are issues none the less.

I'd give Arcee a B, it's a pretty good but the limited nature hurts and there are enough little issues that could lead to damage that amplify that.

JT, I thought it was only my Arcee that had stress marks on the hands. Maybe La Cienega TRU got a bad batch?

I also had another QC problem - only one red stripe on her head was painted so I went ahead and painted the other one.

Come to think of it, my Bludgeon has a paint app problem as well whereby the right eye has some overspray of white over the red.

I guess I'll continue to look for another Arcee...I found two of them so I think I can get lucky again. :p Though I'll probably have to pull a Tycho and not ever transform the extra one. :D

Chaddymac
03-03-2010, 02:52 AM
No, the stress marks on the hands are caused by the swords, though on mine they don't seem to have weakened the hands at all. There's also the knee joint issue (one tab keeps one knee from locking in place). Mine also has issues with the wings staying on.

Tycho
03-03-2010, 05:31 AM
I haven't been inspired to open my newest Transformers:

Legends Devastator
HA Barricade w. Frenzy

I guess I don't have anywhere to put them. I might re-arrange some of my bots and create a place.

I'm debating buying Deluxe Ice Cream Truck Skids / Mudflap and an extra Deluxe Sideswipe for "that scene."

I've been getting Scout Class bikes (any) to pretend to be the Arcee Triplets chasing Sideways.

Hmmm. Maybe I should complete this scene with some more bots?

Darth Metalmute
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Did you see that Micheal Bay is pushing aside a small movie project to save the economy by producing Transformers 3? Tosh.0 has a really good take on it, and a good idea of what the premise of the new movie will be.

El Chuxter
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I bet Megan Fox will run around in tight clothing while Shia LeBouf fails his acting class and everyone makes a lot of fart jokes around the newest Decepticon, a horribly racist spoof of Koreans named Nightbeat.

Tycho
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I bet Megan Fox will run around in tight clothing while Shia LeBouf fails his acting class and everyone makes a lot of fart jokes around the newest Decepticon, a horribly racist spoof of Koreans named Nightbeat.

That is cool Chux! I can't wait to see that! When's it coming out?

I think it would be awesome if Ravage weren't dead so that the racist spoof of a Korean Decepticon could eat him!

That alone could add to the plot and intrigue right there. - And while Nightbeat chews Ravage, there could be Michael-Bay-explosions for his farts!

See, I could tie it all up right there.

Then Ironhide could retort a classic line like, "Let's take these guys on! It will be a gas!"

Get it? A gas? Hahahaa. I can think of this stuff, too!

figrin bran
03-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Tycho, you're the only one among us that can have new Transformers just sitting there for what, a month waiting to be opened. :p

Tycho
03-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Tycho, you're the only one among us that can have new Transformers just sitting there for what, a month waiting to be opened. :p

Yeah, well you have to buy stuff when you see it so you know it will be available - even if you're not keen on messing around with it right away.

When I'm in the mood to "get" a new Transformer, I can open one of these any time.

Toys R Us had this pack tonight with Demolisher in white and the Icecream truck twins for $30. Maybe I should have gotten it. I just recollected that now when I got on this thread.

Anyway, when LC Starscream hits, I'll be all over opening that. Same with HA Mudflap and Simmons. They go straight into displays I've already set up.

I didn't ask for HA Barricade, though he's cool and I bought him. (I do want more Decepticons in the HA line - Sideways, Rampage....)

As to Legends Devastator? I got to play with JediTricks' several months ago. I liked the toy a lot. But opening my own would add 7 more figures to my Legends pile which has no real place I'm keeping it (especially now while I'm using all available space to organize my Star Wars stuff and then my Star Trek and Terminator stuff). Almost all my Transformers are already organized. I have a small and selective collection. No need to mess things up.

JediTricks
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
How does Mindwipe interact with Skystalker in bot mode? I didn't see that.The pegs on Skystalker end up on the backs of his knees, and the holes on Mindwipe end up separating so one is on each shoulder. Skystalker can peg into the hole and basically sit on Mindwipe's shoulder. You can either peg Skystalker REALLY close to Mindwipe's head, which looks odd but is more "shoulder" like, or you can have his outer leg dangling which gives more of a "minion" feel. I took a quick cellphone shot to show you, I didn't take the time to tweak the pose this time so it looked as nice as it could, this was more of a quick rough:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1267741382298.jpg

Honestly, this would look really cool with a second Skystalker on the other shoulder, a pair of minion drones sitting on his shoulders or hovering just ahead of them (the peg is on the lower half of the knee, so you can pose him sitting or standing).

JT, I thought it was only my Arcee that had stress marks on the hands. Maybe La Cienega TRU got a bad batch?No, it's the swords, mine developed another stress mark AFTER I first got it home. They should have used a rubbery material for a design like those hands.

I also had another QC problem - only one red stripe on her head was painted so I went ahead and painted the other one. Geez, that's pretty bad.

Come to think of it, my Bludgeon has a paint app problem as well whereby the right eye has some overspray of white over the red. My animated Lockdown has that. So annoying, but it sorta fit his character so I forgave.

I guess I'll continue to look for another Arcee...I found two of them so I think I can get lucky again. :p Though I'll probably have to pull a Tycho and not ever transform the extra one. :DGood luck tracking it. I have to find another for me to replace the one you stashed me with its wonky eye, and then give the original to a buddy desperate for this figure who won't mind the problems.

No, the stress marks on the hands are caused by the swords, though on mine they don't seem to have weakened the hands at all. There's also the knee joint issue (one tab keeps one knee from locking in place). Mine also has issues with the wings staying on.If you're seeing stress marks, that means the plastic is being broken down in that area which is a point of failure. The now weakened area may only look superficial, but could develop over time and take even a small stress to snap off, not unlike the classic GI Joe ARAH figures' thumbs. :( For me, this is super frustrating because I actually dig her swords.

That is cool Chux! I can't wait to see that! When's it coming out?

I think it would be awesome if Ravage weren't dead so that the racist spoof of a Korean Decepticon could eat him!

That alone could add to the plot and intrigue right there. - And while Nightbeat chews Ravage, there could be Michael-Bay-explosions for his farts!

See, I could tie it all up right there.

Then Ironhide could retort a classic line like, "Let's take these guys on! It will be a gas!"

Get it? A gas? Hahahaa. I can think of this stuff, too!It's people like you who fund garbage that are ruining Transformers... and everything else. :p

Chaddymac
03-04-2010, 05:41 PM
The pegs on Skystalker end up on the backs of his knees, and the holes on Mindwipe end up separating so one is on each shoulder. Skystalker can peg into the hole and basically sit on Mindwipe's shoulder. You can either peg Skystalker REALLY close to Mindwipe's head, which looks odd but is more "shoulder" like, or you can have his outer leg dangling which gives more of a "minion" feel. I took a quick cellphone shot to show you, I didn't take the time to tweak the pose this time so it looked as nice as it could, this was more of a quick rough:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/?action=view&current=img1267741382298.jpg
Oh, that's what it would look like. I'll have to play around with that when I get home.

DarkArtist
03-05-2010, 08:46 AM
picked up the Walmart exclusive Legends Devastator....can't wait to open the package and see how each part transforms and combines. sounds like it's going to be a fun little side project

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Found a pair of Arcees at TRU today. One is for my buddy Rick who did me solids and this is repayment. The other is meant to replace the wonky eye on my first one. That does leave me with a 3rd loose one with a wonky eye though. Thoughts?

Oh, that's what it would look like. I'll have to play around with that when I get home.Should be easy to come up with a decent pose or 2 with them with this in mind.

Tycho
03-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Thoughts?

I saw 2 of those Arcees at TRU today. I couldn't pull the trigger on anything though and left empty handed.

However, my thought was: is this her first car she turns into since the 1986 movie even came out? What is this: 14 years too late?

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Yes, this is the first alt mode for Arcee that's a car (which isn't a lame Japanese repaint of a male Alternators figure). It's also the first bot mode for Arcee that looks even remotely like the G1 movie. Both are thanks to the gang who worked on Transformers: Animated, both on the entertainment and toy side, they worked together to get this one done right.

Arcee has been a dedicated (rather than repainted) figure 3 times prior:
- Energon, as a motorcycle
- Movie 1, as a motorcycle
- Movie 2, as a motorcycle

There's also been a Botcon repaint of Beast Wars TM2 Blackarachnia (minus her chest armor), the aforementioned Japanese Alternators repaint from Decepticharge/Windcharger, a PVC mini-figure that didn't do anything, an Attacktix figure, and tragically a canceled Titanium Series 6" figure with thunder-thighs.

El Chuxter
03-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Forgive my laziness, but are there pics of this Arcee who looks like G1 Arcee?

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Forgive my laziness, but are there pics of this Arcee who looks like G1 Arcee?
You won't like it, I bet, it's TF:Animated style. Here's the Hasbro pics of the prototype, which also is sloppily transformed, has different wing orientations, and has more paint than the final version (real robots don't wear 1980s pink lipstick!!!):
http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/d/d0/Animated_arcee_toy.jpg

And pics of the final: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/animated-toysrus-exclusive-arcee-image-gallery-168808/

Oh, I forgot to mention there are also 2 fan-company versions out there as well, 1 of which doesn't suck but also has thunder-thighs.

El Chuxter
03-06-2010, 02:02 AM
I won't like it? I don't have anything against the Animated figures (though I just have one, and which one is such a no-brainer it doesn't warrant any points ;)), and the stylized look can be explained by her being, well, a her. I rather dig it.

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 03:52 PM
I won't like it? I don't have anything against the Animated figures (though I just have one, and which one is such a no-brainer it doesn't warrant any points ;)), and the stylized look can be explained by her being, well, a her. I rather dig it.I thought your G1 purist ways would overwhelm anything else. I guess I misread you.

Hmm, let's see, which Animated figure would you have? Swindle, with his salesman's tie? Bumblebee, because he's just so cute? Samurai Prowl, because even though he's a motorcycle, you dig that he has a sidecar that turns into armor? No. Soundwave, because he's a pimped out Scion Xb with an electric guitar that turns into Laserbeak? Blurr, because he's the raddest figure of all time in both alt and bot mode, and you thought he was so cool in the G1 movie? Oil Slick, because he's a biker robot wearing a green space helmet for no reason? Jazz, because he has nunchucks? Jetfire/Jetstorm, because they combine in a weird manner? Wreck-gar, because c'mon, it's Weird Al as a trash truck? Voyagers Sunstorm or purple Shockwave, because each was only $5 and came with a bonus Activators figure? Ultra Magnus, because he's armed to the teeth and says derogatory things about Optimus Prime? No, it's not any of them.

Oh, I know, cliche-bot, the most obvious Transformer in the world that panders to G1 fans like a ho' on a streetcorner. Yeah, that's who you have, they misprinted the packaging and the name on the box reads "Grimlock".

;)

El Chuxter
03-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I now own two. That's how much I hated Arcee. :p

I prefer G1 by a long shot. I never got into Beast Wars and that arc, but it was well-done from what I saw. RiD seemed downright lousy, and the trilogy that started with Armada, didn't care for the cartoon, which was a bit goofy, though the comic book was actually pretty good, for as long as it lasted. (I'll admit Unicron bringing in G1 characters as his heralds and wreaking havoc was the high point for me, though.)

I do not consider the live action movies to be Transformers. Bad as it was, Rise of Cobra was more GIJoe than either TF film was Transformers.

Animated was actually quite good. I just never collected the toys, and never remembered when it was on, which is a common problem with just about anything new on Cartoon Network. It came out at the point where I'd decided I had to cut back on the number of lines I get--I only got the large Grimlock because I'm just a sucker for Grimlock. The show was really a lot like The Brave and the Bold: it knows it's different from what came before, doesn't try to be a rehash, but works in lots of subtle nods into a fun, well-done cartoon.

I was really on the fence with Soundwave & Ratbat, too. That looked sweet.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Wow, you ran out and bought an Arcee that fast? Nicely done! Most impressive. What a hater. :D

I don't fault you for your take on the movies. I do think you missed out by avoiding the Beast era though, and some of the RID and Armada-Energon-Cybertron toys had charm but it's easy to not like them overall.

Cartoon Network seems to bury Transformers like a turd in a cat box. They did it before, moving it all around the schedule and playing constant reruns, made it impossible to catch. From what I could tell, TF:A was a lot like Teen Titans, not surprising given the team on it. Batman:TBATB I think swings a lot further than TF:A into kiddy territory to be palatable, myself.

Soundwave with Laserbeak is a fun figure if you like style over substance. Soundwave is an oddity on its own, but coupled with Laserbeak as his shredding flying-V guitar, it makes a fun character toy. Ratbat as a keytar isn't quite as cool in my book, it's a funny idea but not $12 funny.

El Chuxter
03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I didn't exactly run out and buy her. I was at TRU and saw her, and couldn't resist.

With Beast Wars, part of the reason I didn't collect was that they came out during my "too cool for toys" phase. I actually did get the RiD Magnus and Prime when they marked them way down, based on seeing the combined form in a storefront window at Universal City. That thing was a pain in the butt.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I would say that those 2 combined took the longest time of any combiner I've ever done, and the other RID combiner - Rail Racer - is a close second. The 3rd would be a tie between the 2 Beast Wars combiners, which are also the most finicky by far.

I had a too-cool-for-toys phase, but luckily it was in the early to mid '90s when all the toys sucked. Unfortunately, it was when I moved to another state so I gave away toys I would later regret horribly, or buy replacements of off ebay.

El Chuxter
03-07-2010, 01:26 AM
For me, it was the late 80s through the mid 1990s. For the first part of that phase, I made exceptions for GIJoes and Transformers, picking up a few choice figures (Bludgeon, Thunderwing, trench knives Snake Eyes). I kept up with all the filecards and could rattle off what was available at any time, though. The "too cool for toys" strangely did not affect McFarlane toys for a while, since they were "collectibles," and I had to snatch up a Phantasm because Mask of the Phantasm was so awesome. After SW re-debuted in 1995, I actually held off for a few months, then slowly started up, picking up some choice Batman figures as well (any Bane or Azrael I could get my hands on, among others). I didn't even realize Beast Wars was a sort-of continuation of G1 until it had been out a while.

Funny thing, though, I bought a lot of Transformers from a guy who was a hardcore TF collector in 1999, including G1 Megatron and Galvatron, whom I'd never had, and got Beast Wars Prime (the gorilla). That's still quite an impressive figure, even though there's nothing to display with it. When the prices dropped, I also got TransMetals Megatron and the dragon Megatron (Beast Machines?), because they were just too cool to pass on.

El Chuxter
03-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Cracked open Arcee, and I really like the design of her, and of the other Animated figures I've seen. I realize it involves sacrificing some realism, but they have a nice balance of posability and relative ease of transformation.

I had to pull out Hot Rodimus so that Chux Jr could see "her boyfriend."

Chaddymac
03-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Chux, it amazes me how, with no effort, you nabbed two of the most sought after Transformers toys currently in release. You, sir, are bad ***. Can I have some of your karma? :)

Tycho
03-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure about the comics which I don't follow, but in the 1986 movie, Arcee's "boyfriend" is Springer.

Arcee didn't seem to respect Hot Rod that much. "You probably didn't understand the situation!"

I bought Mudflap and Skids combiner set that transforms into an Ice Cream Truck so all of you can "suck my popcycle." ;)

I haven't opened them (of course) so I wonder if that moniker is on the reverse side of the toy? It was on the passenger side of the vehicle in the movie because Michael Bay is awesome!

BTW: I'd like one more Scout Class Motorcycle for my scene I'm making of the Shanghai Sideways chase.

I have Reverb (red Decepticon) and the green Autobot bike (name eludes me). I'd like a blue one on that scale, though I'll consider the bike that comes with HA Mudflap and Simmons when they release that. They don't look like they'll match in scale. In any event, the goal is to make the Arcee Triplets in 3 different colors. In the movie, I think they were pink, blue, and green (or purple?) I'm going to go for red, blue (or purple), and green if I can get them. Scout Class bikes seem to work in scale with Deluxe sized cars. I elected not to buy the Ice-Cream Truck 2-pack with white Demolisher at TRU, as then I'd want another (Voyager Class?) Optimus Prime for the whole Shanghai sequence and the spending would just go on and on.

I love Optimus Prime, but I have many Optimus figures now and I'm sure if I just wait, TF3 will come out with a new Leader Class that I'd want to buy instead.

- Can't wait for LC Starscream!!!

El Chuxter
03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
I always interpreted it as a sort of brother-sister relationship between Springer and Arcee. There was a lot more tension between her and Hot Rod--maybe not quite a relationship, but more sexual tension than you normally get between robots.

IDW had an interesting take on her. All Transformers were male until the "undead" Jhiaxxus decided to experiment on a captured Autobot named Arcee, making him a her... and making her homicidal and obsessed with killing Jhiaxxus.

Chaddy, neither Arcee nor Bludgeon are especially tough to find out here in the IE. I don't know if it's lower demand, or fewer scalpers. I actually found the Wheelie Legends wave once, but stupidly didn't get them. I've decided never to pass on a Transformer I want, as I still haven't found those again at a reasonable price, even on the aftermarket. I don't have much to spare this month (we paid for our airline tickets for vacation), but might be able to get some extras come April for anyone who's still needing them.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
For me, it was the late 80s through the mid 1990s. For the first part of that phase, I made exceptions for GIJoes and Transformers, picking up a few choice figures (Bludgeon, Thunderwing, trench knives Snake Eyes). I kept up with all the filecards and could rattle off what was available at any time, though. The "too cool for toys" strangely did not affect McFarlane toys for a while, since they were "collectibles," and I had to snatch up a Phantasm because Mask of the Phantasm was so awesome. After SW re-debuted in 1995, I actually held off for a few months, then slowly started up, picking up some choice Batman figures as well (any Bane or Azrael I could get my hands on, among others). I didn't even realize Beast Wars was a sort-of continuation of G1 until it had been out a while.

Funny thing, though, I bought a lot of Transformers from a guy who was a hardcore TF collector in 1999, including G1 Megatron and Galvatron, whom I'd never had, and got Beast Wars Prime (the gorilla). That's still quite an impressive figure, even though there's nothing to display with it. When the prices dropped, I also got TransMetals Megatron and the dragon Megatron (Beast Machines?), because they were just too cool to pass on.I remember buying the 1st wave of Spawn figures, when they were simple action figures in design rather than barely-articulated statues. There were even vehicles in the line. Spawn's cape was held on via a tab into the middle of his back, and the cape closed via hinging molded into the cape which immediately created stressing coloration. IIRC, that was among the first lines to get me back into toy collecting, that and the TNG line and the Batman:TAS line (I missed out on the Phantasm figure and movie at the time). GI Joe had driven me away with the early '90s line after line of utter failure, bright colors, scale changes (EXTREME!!!), and nerf vehicles. I remember getting back into Joe with the TRU re-releases and the 12" figures and accessory sets.

I also stayed away from Transformers when it got all gimmicky and then during Generation 2, and got into Beast Wars about half a year after it came into being. I remember trolling KB and seeing the Machine Wars line and being interested, but not parting with cash. I must have though, as I own MW Starscream.

Dragon Megatron is Transmetals 2.

Cracked open Arcee, and I really like the design of her, and of the other Animated figures I've seen. I realize it involves sacrificing some realism, but they have a nice balance of posability and relative ease of transformation.

I had to pull out Hot Rodimus so that Chux Jr could see "her boyfriend."Awesome! They're releasing Rodimus Minor in the Animated line at some point this year, the figure looked pretty boss. Oddly, I don't think there's a Hot Rod figure or homage I don't like, I even have the G1 figure (it's a statue). The RID homage was pretty good, the Classics figure is great, even the Energon figure has charm. Titanium Series 6" was a bit meh, but not terrible.
Animated Rodimus Minor:
http://photos.actionfigs.com/animated/p37866-animated-class.html
http://photos.actionfigs.com/animated/p37855-animated-class.html

Chux, it amazes me how, with no effort, you nabbed two of the most sought after Transformers toys currently in release. You, sir, are bad ***. Can I have some of your karma? :)It's just that he lives in the boonies. :p

I'm not sure about the comics which I don't follow, but in the 1986 movie, Arcee's "boyfriend" is Springer.
According to this entry on the tf wiki:

Arcee has the most romantic attachments of any Transformers character: Hot Rod in the movie, Marvel Comics and Dreamwave continuities, Springer after the movie, Chromedome in The Headmasters, and Bumblebee in Devil's Due continuity. Then there is the weird affection shown toward Daniel in "The Rebirth, Part 3", but most fans won't read too much into it, for their own sanity. And now there's the suggestive nature of her relationship with a younger, sexier Ratchet in the Transformers Animated continuity.

Arcee didn't seem to respect Hot Rod that much. "You probably didn't understand the situation!"Hot Rod has given nobody a reason to respect him much.

I bought Mudflap and Skids combiner set that transforms into an Ice Cream Truck so all of you can "suck my popcycle." ;)You are a college graduate who can't spell "popsicle", or use the built-in spellchecker that now is in every browser.

I'd like a blue one on that scale, though I'll consider the bike that comes with HA Mudflap and Simmons when they release that.It's been sighted several times, photo evidence of it at a Target in Washington.

figrin bran
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Chux, it amazes me how, with no effort, you nabbed two of the most sought after Transformers toys currently in release. You, sir, are bad ***. Can I have some of your karma? :)

Exactly! I made 11 trips to 3 different TRU's before finally finding TFA Arcee while Chux just goes out on a whim and finds her. That means it's 11 times tougher for LA collectors!

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 11:20 PM
There are over 10 million people in the greater Los Angeles area, that's more than anywhere else. But the stores don't ship product to us in significantly greater number. Hell, look at the layout of Wal-marts from the center of LA out, there's virtually none until you're nearly out of the county. It's tougher for us because the retailers refuse to recognize the greater need here based on the larger population.

El Chuxter
03-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Whereas, within about thirty minutes' drive from my house, I could be at twelve Targets, and the closest one is about fifteen minutes away. Wal-Marts, I don't even know all of them, but there's at least fourteen (one being two miles from my house).

Seriously, that does not make sense.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Los Angeles I believe has stricter rules about big box stores, Target seems to be doing alright here but WM hasn't gotten a foothold.

BTW, I've started a new round of voting for Transformers Q&A: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=42219

figrin bran
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Have we all seen the preview image for Bumblebee from the upcoming Transformers Prime series?

Animated versions of the Bayformers? I think this may be a line I'll pass on.

JetsAndHeels
03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I finally got an animated Arcee. Haven't had a chance to open her (since I am at work now), but will do so later today.

Also picked up a second Human Alliance Barricade to do a light mod on.

JediTricks
03-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Have we all seen the preview image for Bumblebee from the upcoming Transformers Prime series?

Animated versions of the Bayformers? I think this may be a line I'll pass on.Yeah, I am not at all feeling that Bumblebee. I don't like the face, not very expressive, looks like another mute. And I hate the shoulder design with the wheel in the middle, that is impractical and silly without gaining anything.

J&H, light mod on the top? I'd like to see pics of what you come up with.

Chaddymac
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I am not at all feeling that Bumblebee. I don't like the face, not very expressive, looks like another mute. And I hate the shoulder design with the wheel in the middle, that is impractical and silly without gaining anything.
I'll say I'm going to pass on it, but if the show is entertaining, I'll probably change my mind.

JetsAndHeels
03-12-2010, 10:47 AM
J&H, light mod on the top? I'd like to see pics of what you come up with.

Yeah, a fellow TF collector and buddy of mine that I hang out with did one on his. I am going to try to get some of those cheap lights from Dollar General this weekend and mod it. Hopefully it will turn out decent.

JediTricks
03-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Where do the batteries go?

Tycho
03-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I bought a 3rd HA BumbleBee today. It's a better paintjob on the Sam Witwicky figure so I'm going to return the HA BumbleBee #2 with the receipt from today's purchase.

That 2nd Sam had huge eyebrows. I only opened the first one, so the store will get back a perfectly new and mint-in-box product, just one with eyebrows too big for my taste.

JetsAndHeels
03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Where do the batteries go?

The LED lights have small batteries in them. They are lights that came in a small whistle type thing my friend bought at Dollar Tree. I am still looking for some myself, but haven't found any yet.

figrin bran
03-15-2010, 12:28 AM
I finally got around to buying ROTF Brawn and was not disappointed at all. Had he been packaged in bot form, I sure would not have passed him up so many times.

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Really? I think his bot mode looks kinda wacky with all that kibble flying around, while the truck looks slick. Glad you dig the fig though. And remember, you can stow the guns in the kibble, there's a little tab on each major kibble that corresponds to the guns.

JetsAndHeels
03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
I got Nebular Starscream yesterday at KMart.

Love the new "powered up" paintjob on this guy.

DarkArtist
03-15-2010, 11:13 AM
does anyone know if there is a website that has scans of all the instructions for various transformers throughout the years. i have a few that I have lost instructions too.

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 04:22 PM
does anyone know if there is a website that has scans of all the instructions for various transformers throughout the years. i have a few that I have lost instructions too.
I don't know of a single site that has them, but there are a few resources with them:
Mixed: http://www.unicron.com/tfitem/itemimage_db.php?mode=instructions&year=2007&lineName=Movie
G1: http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/instructions/
Beast Era: http://www.botcollector.com/2KGuide.htm
some newer stuff will be found under "T" for "Transformers - *Product Name*": http://www.hasbro.com/customer-service/toy-game-instructions.cfm
Mixed: http://tfwiki.net/~fortmax/instructions/index.html (http://tfwiki.net/%7Efortmax/instructions/index.html)

figrin bran
03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Really? I think his bot mode looks kinda wacky with all that kibble flying around, while the truck looks slick. Glad you dig the fig though. And remember, you can stow the guns in the kibble, there's a little tab on each major kibble that corresponds to the guns.

I don't mind the kibble on him. The kibble on ROTF Soundwave, however...argh...even at a clearance price I rather regret buying that NEST 2 pack. BB is okay but I should've just bought cannon BB.

Seeing as how no one has really commented on Cybertron Ratchet yet, aside from how available he is compared to Arcee, he is a great disappointment. Alt mode was a good concept but horrible in its execution and has the worst underside I've seen in quite some time. The front "hood" of the vehicle is an especially egregious violation as it's just a thin veneer of plastic. In robot mode, Ratchet's elbow joints are awkwardly connected. Also the EMP generators aren't compatible with regular Ratchet's hands (I think)

figrin bran
03-16-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm looking at purchasing Mindwipe next. I've already passed on him enough times already.

The top of the plane looks great but just how bad is the kibble on the underside?

Tycho
03-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Mindwipe actually tempts me too, but I don't buy all of them. Besides I want two (2) Leader Class Starscreams when they come out. I'll save my TF money for those. (And I might get Voyager Seaspray as well as the Legends Class tank to put aboard him - maybe).

What else? HA Mudflap with Simmons.

And I'd like one more Legends class motorcycle to be made in blue.

I think that's it. But of course, my wishlist includes a Voyager or Leader Class Bonecrusher and a Leader Class Blackout / Grindor.

Dude! Seriously! Helicopters are cool. A LC chopper would sell. It doesn't matter if the character(s) never had any speaking lines or whatever.

Anyway, don't forget FigrinBran's question about Mindwipe's kibble above. I don't know the answer.

JediTricks
03-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't mind the kibble on him. The kibble on ROTF Soundwave, however...argh...even at a clearance price I rather regret buying that NEST 2 pack. BB is okay but I should've just bought cannon BB. That's why I didn't bother at clearance. I don't want to pay $7 plus $13 for this dog of a set just to get red Ravage and a NEST patch.

Seeing as how no one has really commented on Cybertron Ratchet yet, aside from how available he is compared to Arcee, he is a great disappointment. Alt mode was a good concept but horrible in its execution and has the worst underside I've seen in quite some time. The front "hood" of the vehicle is an especially egregious violation as it's just a thin veneer of plastic. In robot mode, Ratchet's elbow joints are awkwardly connected. Also the EMP generators aren't compatible with regular Ratchet's hands (I think)Good to know. I think this confirms my suspicions, it's why I didn't buy him in the first place, it looked "off" somehow. I think Hasbro shouldn't have even-packed him in the case. Or they should have held off releasing him until Rodimus Minor was coming out too.

I'm looking at purchasing Mindwipe next. I've already passed on him enough times already.

The top of the plane looks great but just how bad is the kibble on the underside?Mindwipe is quite cool. No amazing gimmicks, just a solid figure.

The underside of the plane is visually just a tangle of parts, but the great thing is they don't hang down UNDER the line of the plane, it's all contained. I'll try to remember to transform it back and take a picture of that later today.

Mindwipe actually tempts me too, but I don't buy all of them. Besides I want two (2) Leader Class Starscreams when they come out. I'll save my TF money for those. (And I might get Voyager Seaspray as well as the Legends Class tank to put aboard him - maybe).Mindwipe is cool, worth getting. It's going to be a while before we get more new figs, so I think $20 is a good spend for the lean times. Plus, it works with the $8 basic Skystalker you could also buy. ;)

What else? HA Mudflap with Simmons.That is out now.

figrin bran
03-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Alright, since the Target sale ends this Saturday, I decided to pull the trigger on Mindwipe. I saw HA Barricade as well but due to limited funds from picking up some Cobra Island 7 packs earlier, I had to go with Mindwipe.

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Mindwipe is a good choice. Barricade is cool too, but not on sale so it's not like you're stuck in a timeframe situation there.

Maradona
03-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Not sure if anyone needs it, but Amazon has the Matrix of Leadership DVD set on sale for $88. I had waited until now to get it as a replacement for the Rhino sets which I never liked the sound on.

Darth Metalmute
03-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks Maradona!

I have been looking for a complete set for years, picked up 5 of the 6 sets with the silver boxes, but never got season 4. And what a great price. I'll resell my other sets.

clone157
03-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Man, I hate the unadvertised sales at TRU. Yesterday they had all transformers 50% off according to my e-mail.

JediTricks
03-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Man, I hate the unadvertised sales at TRU. Yesterday they had all transformers 50% off according to my e-mail.
It was buy 1, get 1 half off, so really not that impressive a deal.

figrin bran
03-25-2010, 12:24 AM
The stress marks on my TFA Arcee are getting much worse, despite the fact that I haven't been handling her that much.

I guess it's time to take the swords out of her hands.

JediTricks
03-25-2010, 12:37 AM
The problem is the swords going in and out of her hands. If you leave them there, they won't cause more stressing so long as you don't bump or rotate them in her hands. They're a close, awkward fit but they do fit. It's the removing and inserting process that doesn't fit. The problem is that she really is quite a nifty figure holding those swords.

Oh, also, my second one confirmed what I feared, the thumbs are stressed in alt mode holding onto those pegs, the left thumb on mine was stressed a little when I opened her, before even transforming her. They really should have gone with rubbery hands.

figrin bran
03-25-2010, 01:32 AM
The problem is the swords going in and out of her hands. If you leave them there, they won't cause more stressing so long as you don't bump or rotate them in her hands. They're a close, awkward fit but they do fit. It's the removing and inserting process that doesn't fit. The problem is that she really is quite a nifty figure holding those swords.

Oh, also, my second one confirmed what I feared, the thumbs are stressed in alt mode holding onto those pegs, the left thumb on mine was stressed a little when I opened her, before even transforming her. They really should have gone with rubbery hands.

Rubbery hands or else the tried and true fist with peghole.

I haven't removed the swords from Arcee's hands for weeks now so in theory, it should not have stressed so much.

Btw, I'm really enjoying Mindwipe. I'm not even sure if the scales are proper to one another but I have him and Universe Powerglide dogfighting.

Tycho
03-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Has anyone here found HA Mudflap w. Simmons?

When is LC Starscream due out?

JetsAndHeels
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I haven't opened my Arcee yet, due to what I am hearing about the problems with the hands and thumbs. I am going to open her though, she is a really cool toy (a friend of mine had his at his house opened, so I got to try her out). If I could find an extra one I would buy one so I can have one on card.

And FB, you are right about Mindwipe. He is an awesome voyager. He is rivaling Bludgeon as my favorite in that series.

JediTricks
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Rubbery hands or else the tried and true fist with peghole. Fist with peghole wouldn't work because they want a feminine design, the slender hands are important for that look.

I haven't removed the swords from Arcee's hands for weeks now so in theory, it should not have stressed so much. Hmm, not good at all then. I transformed mine last night and put in her swords, you could be right, they were awkward. If so, maybe shaving the handles of the swords down by a hair might help, but I fear they might make them too loose for her to hold.

Btw, I'm really enjoying Mindwipe. I'm not even sure if the scales are proper to one another but I have him and Universe Powerglide dogfighting.Cool, glad to hear it.

I'm also having fun with Mindwipe, mostly palling around with Skystalker.

figrin bran
03-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Well, I brought out TFA Blackarachnia for comparison and it looks like her hands are of a much sturdier plastic than Arcee's.

Could it be that with TFA nearing the end of the road, they decided to just use a lower grade of plastic? And that might explain why TFA Cybertron Ratchet's design was so poorly executed.

figrin bran
03-25-2010, 11:02 PM
I haven't opened my Arcee yet, due to what I am hearing about the problems with the hands and thumbs. I am going to open her though, she is a really cool toy (a friend of mine had his at his house opened, so I got to try her out). If I could find an extra one I would buy one so I can have one on card.

And FB, you are right about Mindwipe. He is an awesome voyager. He is rivaling Bludgeon as my favorite in that series.

Heels, just be extra careful with Arcee. I'm afraid that most, if not all of us that have her need to go the Tycho route and only transform her once or twice. Most likely you'll want to display her in bot mode holding the swords as that looks really awesome.

I like Bludgeon's bot mode more than Mindwipe's but Mindwipe's pseudo F 117 alt mode is awesome!

JediTricks
03-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Well, I brought out TFA Blackarachnia for comparison and it looks like her hands are of a much sturdier plastic than Arcee's.

Could it be that with TFA nearing the end of the road, they decided to just use a lower grade of plastic? And that might explain why TFA Cybertron Ratchet's design was so poorly executed.
I can't speak to Blackarachnia, I didn't buy that one, I have enough of the character from the Beast era. In what way is the plastic better? It's a different shaped hand and digits, so that will add strength to that design, keep in mind.

Tycho
03-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I was wondering, do you think Chevorolette would use some of the BumbleBee customs on one of their silver 2010 Concept Corvettes?

You know: to make a real SideSwipe you could actually drive?

figrin bran
03-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I can't speak to Blackarachnia, I didn't buy that one, I have enough of the character from the Beast era. In what way is the plastic better? It's a different shaped hand and digits, so that will add strength to that design, keep in mind.

The plastic on TFA Blackarachnia and most other TFA toys for that matter seem to be of a higher grade than Arcee and Cybertron Ratchet.

JetsAndHeels
04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I know this thread is supposed to be about Energon and lines after that, but I must share that I got a complete G1 Starscream (my favorite TF character) from ebay a few days ago. I love this toy!! I had it before as a youngster in the 1980's, but either lost it or destroyed it. Anyway I got another one and now I've officially been bitten by the G1 bug.

I have since won 4 more G1 items on ebay since I got Starscream. Let my new obsession begin.

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 04:22 AM
G1 Screamer is tough to get complete, is yours? I see a lot that have missing fists or wings or missiles or plane tails. I never had Starscream as a kid, the way the arms and torso transformed bugged me back in the day. I had a decent amount of G1, but somehow I ended up with Twin Twist and other weirdos along with cool stuff like Ultra Magnus and Metroplex.

BTW, the thread isn't really about those lines and beyond, it's just that we had a TF thread get swallowed by the internet and so I had to start a new thread, and that was the line around at the time.

JetsAndHeels
04-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes, my Starscream is complete. It cost a little more, but in the end it was cheaper than getting individual parts one at a time.

Chaddymac
04-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, my Starscream is complete. It cost a little more, but in the end it was cheaper than getting individual parts one at a time.
This is going to suck for you. I bought G1 Prime about 12 years ago on Ebay and the hobby has consumed me ever since. G1 reissues, originals, classics. If I knew then what I know now, I would've let it go...

Tycho
04-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I once had all the G1 Transformers and kept them mint (loose of course).

My mom got me Starscream for my birthday and kept it hidden once we'd driven all the way to a Garden Grove toy store to get him (and I had to leave him behind because my mom said "for your birthday" - which wasn't then at the time). I don't know how she did it, but she got back there and picked up Starscream for me.

My mom got me a lot of my rare and hard to find toys when I was a kid, God bless her.

Anyway, I always loved Starscream. I am still anxiously waiting to buy 2 of the Leader Class Screamers from the ROTF collection, due out soon I hope.

Good find, JetsAndHeels.

JetsAndHeels
04-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Chaddymac: I know this is going to be tough. I have such an addictive nature with all my toys and hobbies. Plastic crack is what it is.

Thanks Josh. I am also impatiently waiting on that leader Screamer. He is a must have.

I just received 2 more G1 toys in my mailbox.

For a total of $20, I got Fizzle and Battletrap, both complete.

Now I am thinking Astrotrain needs to come home. :)

Tycho
04-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Now I am thinking Astrotrain needs to come home. :)

As a kid, I loved Blitzwing -as a toy. Astrotrain was a better character.

However, Blitzwing is a G1 must-have! He was the perfect Transformer!

Tycho
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I was watching the video for the transformation of new Deluxe Ironhide (due out soon I guess) and it got me thinking of what Transformers I'd buy for the 3rd Michael Bay movie.

I think I will go a size smaller and get:

Del. Ratchet (available now)
Del. Ironhide (coming)
Voyager Optimus (thing is - the rumor is - that Prime will look different in movie 3)

I think for scale, they'd need a Scout Class Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Mudflap, Skids, and Jolt.

For the Decepticons, Voyager Class would work on almost all of them, but you never know if they'll get a new look, too:

Megatron
Starscream
(a helicopter at long last - now Voyager Class Grindor would work, but...)
Deluxe Soundwave
Voyager Bonecrusher from the first movie would also work for scale...

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
A Voyager Bonecrusher is something I would definately be interested in. The movie 1 deluxe is very cool, but it leaves me wanting more.

Tycho
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I bought the Deluxe Ratchet the other day. I'll probably open him soon. I feel like opening a Transformer to play with and I'll definitely open Ironhide when his Deluxe gets released. The Voyager Ironhide was very flimsy.

JediTricks
04-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Dlx Ratchet sucks pretty bad, you'll probably like him judging by your other preferred TFs. ;)

Dlx Ironhide is shorter than dlx Ratchet, but looks like a better figure overall.

Tycho
04-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Found Legends Class Stealth BumbleBee, Soundwave, and Jolt.

I'd never seen these characters before in Legends Class.

I did not buy, but I'm rethinking that decision.

I would like a Scout Class regular BumbleBee. I wonder if they ever made him that way.

And add SideSwipe, Mudflap, and Skids to that Scout Class want-list.

JediTricks
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Hasbro forgot to email my TF site that we were invited to participate in their Hall of Fame voting, but today asked us for an update. So, with a week and a day to go, I've set up a top 5 choices poll over on TFV: http://www.tfviews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=585
If you want to throw your voice in for a specific character, that's one way to participate.

There has never been a scout Bumblebee unless you count the G1 minibot.

El Chuxter
04-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I've not been clear on how this works. Is this voting for a figure, or for inclusion in an ultimately meaningless "hall of fame"?

Chaddymac
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
I've not been clear on how this works. Is this voting for a figure, or for inclusion in an ultimately meaningless "hall of fame"?
Currently, the HOF is meaningless, but Hasbro implied in the last Q&A that they may look at the voting results to determine a future Classics figure.

El Chuxter
04-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Hmmm.... So, despite every fiber of my being crying "Grimlock," I should vote for Soundwave instead, perhaps.

figrin bran
04-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Found Legends Class Stealth BumbleBee, Soundwave, and Jolt.

I'd never seen these characters before in Legends Class.

I did not buy, but I'm rethinking that decision.

I would like a Scout Class regular BumbleBee. I wonder if they ever made him that way.

And add SideSwipe, Mudflap, and Skids to that Scout Class want-list.

All of those were available months ago when the film first hit.

I actually like the Legends Soundwave much, much more than deluxe Soundwave.

JediTricks
04-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Hmmm.... So, despite every fiber of my being crying "Grimlock," I should vote for Soundwave instead, perhaps.
Both are currently on my list. They want a list of 5 characters, so I'm running it the way I would an SSG poll, voters get 5 slots. I was toying with 10 for better selection, but I decided to save myself the trouble.

Tycho
04-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, it's time for a new Scout Bumblebee from the movies, but maybe we should wait and see what he's going to look like in TF3.

My 5 list (all are Bay-Formers) from Michael Bay's hit movies. [Michael Bay is awesome - the stuff of legends!]

1) Leader Class Blackout / Grindor (sell them both as repaints, include propeller noise in sound chip).

2) Voyager Class Bonecrusher from the first movie.

3) Scout Class BumbleBee

4) Scout Class Sideswipe

5) Scout Class Mudflap & Skids 2-pack

JediTricks
04-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Characters, not figures (not even figures that don't exist).

Tycho
04-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Characters

I like Wheeljack, Mirage, Springer, Thundercracker, Cyclonus

as characters that are probably less likely to be voted for than Optimus, Bumblebee, and Starscream.

I guess I can't vote for Alice as a Hall-of-Fame character because she's not G1. But I liked her moves in the movie! :love:

JediTricks
04-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Ok, well now you can vote officially, Steve has asked me to set up a poll for our site as well:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=42451

Go post a ranked list in there.

JediTricks
04-29-2010, 05:09 PM
We need 2 questions for Monday's Q&A: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=42219

Tycho
04-30-2010, 02:55 AM
I saw Skystalker (Scout Class Stealth Fighter) in the stores a few times now. That's a nice Transformer!

JediTricks
05-02-2010, 02:34 AM
That figure has been out for a while, I think I reviewed him early in April. He's a cool figure, and as a drone alt mode he'd fit in pretty well with several scales since military drones come in many sizes, and this is a made-up one.

Transformers are on sale at TRU right now, and also on Buy One Get One Half Off. I got ROTF Brakedown and Scattorshot at bogo50% for both plus they knocked $2 off each, and they apply the sale AFTER the bogo, so I got out of there with both for $8 and change instead of the $11 it should have been. Brakedown is exactly as crap as I thought he'd be. Scattorshot is also pretty lame, but at least has lots of detail and an interesting transformation. But it was nice to actually buy a new figure after a long wait.

figrin bran
06-01-2010, 01:08 AM
There are plenty of Tuner Mudflaps if anyone needs one. :p

How are so supposed to handle August if TF Generations and SW Vintage (along with Pursuit of Cobra) are all being launched then?

El Chuxter
06-01-2010, 02:10 AM
At least it should be very slow until then. :)

Darth Metalmute
06-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I've only seen HA Barricade once, and it was at a Walmart 3 hours away. I couldn't afford it that day, and haven't seen it since. hopefully the BOGO cleans out the inventory so I can finally purchase one.

figrin bran
06-07-2010, 12:25 AM
I finally decided to buy HA Bumblebee today and they forgot to pack instructions with him.

Fortunately, transformation wasn't that complex.

Tycho
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
How are so supposed to handle August if TF Generations and SW Vintage (along with Pursuit of Cobra) are all being launched then?

Save your money now.

August might be cheap for me as I'm not interested in buying a majority of the stuff they are coming out with.

I want:

HA Mudflap
(2) LC Starscreams
Deluxe Ironhide

Regular paint design Voyager Optimus Prime (though I really want to wait to see what TF3 Prime might be made in the Voyager size before I purchase).

Scout Class BumbleBee and SideSwipe, Mudflap, Skids, Jolt (maybe) - if only they'd make them.

Another Voyager Starscream - though I'll wait and see the TF3 products.

As for Star Wars, I'm mostly going to be buying Clone Wars - and not that much of it. No Vintage or AT-AT for me, but extra Cloud Cars, etc.

I finally decided to buy HA Bumblebee today and they forgot to pack instructions with him.

Fortunately, transformation wasn't that complex.

This is a great and fun figure! You just got him now? I've had to own 2 of him.

I've only seen HA Barricade once, and it was at a Walmart 3 hours away. I couldn't afford it that day, and haven't seen it since.

I just saw him sitting at a few stores (not shelf-warming, as there was only 1 of each: Skids, SideSwipe, Barricade.

JediTricks
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Fortunately, transformation wasn't that complex.That's a weird one. Don't forget to tilt the doors, fold up the lower portion of the roof, that stuff is easy to miss. There's something about the legs too, but I can't remember what.

So, what do you think of it?

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I got WFC Bumblebee and Prime in the mail last week from TRU.com.

These are two very cool deluxe figures. If I had to choose my favorite though, it would definately be Prime.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the 22nd to get the WFC game. We also have generations figures coming out. Drift and Thrust are two I am definately buying on sight...not to mention Leader Starscream.

Darth Metalmute
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I got WFC Bumblebee and Prime in the mail last week from TRU.com.

These are two very cool deluxe figures. If I had to choose my favorite though, it would definately be Prime.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the 22nd to get the WFC game. We also have generations figures coming out. Drift and Thrust are two I am definately buying on sight...not to mention Leader Starscream.

I'm definately getting Thrust. I don't remember Drift, so it will be a purchase on sight condition.

Tycho
06-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Drift? Does he mean Dirge?

The classic 2nd wave of Seekers were Thrust, Dirge, and Ramjet.

El Chuxter
06-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Drift is a new G1 character made for the IDW comics. He's quite the Mary Sue in just about every way, and to say he's one dimensional would be a gross understatement. He's a former Decepticon ninja who became an Autobot for some reason and just walks around with his swords and broods, never actually doing anything of any importance despite his being shoved into the forefront of every story. (Really, they fired Simon Furman for this POS fanfic crap?)

This said, however, the design is quite nice, and very much in keeping with G1 aesthetics, so I'll get the figure.

El Chuxter
07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Saw the War for Cybertron Prime and Bumblebee at TRU today. But I passed on them. They had about 30 of each (give or take a couple), and were $12. I figure I can wait for WM or Target, where they'll be $2 cheaper.

JediTricks
07-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Saw the War for Cybertron Prime and Bumblebee at TRU today. But I passed on them. They had about 30 of each (give or take a couple), and were $12. I figure I can wait for WM or Target, where they'll be $2 cheaper.
At TRU until the 3rd, TFs are buy-one-get-one-half-off.

Today I hit 3 TRUs and found the following new items:
Hunt for Decepticons leader-class Hooker Prime
HoD Jetblade
HoD Legends Ravage and case-mates

Generations WFC Prime
Gen WFC BB
Gen Thrust

PCC all 3 wave 1 two-packs

and both new SWTFs, Yoda/Nu-class Republic Attack Shuttle and Captain Rex/Freeco Bike

Of that, I bought...

Legends Ravage is decent, the only Ravage I bought from ROTF and my only Legends figure. If they had jointed the front legs' knees and the head, and the tiny gap in the midsection were closed, this would be a really good figure, not just a "nifty legends figure". That midsection gap probably has a designer cursing the factory tool-designer for missing the point by a coulple millimeters, but it's not a major drawback really since he's already a bit skeletal in general. The feet are jointed, the hips are jointed, the tail is on a hinge, the guns rotate as a pair. Alt mode is a Ravage-is-a-plane thing, it works better than it deserves both for the scale and the concept since it's mostly just limbs folded around, but I had low expectations.

PCC Huffer by himself is ok. I chose him because his bot mode proportions are more normal, and his mustard yellow base plastic color has a realism to it, and I liked his blue minicon better than the others. Alt mode is a truck, it's helped tremendously by the dark mustard yellow, and then has some black and silver accents, an orange hood, dark blue painted windows, and plenty of sculpted rivets. The sky-blue combiner points at the tail help nothing though, and there's a few spots around the midsection where there's bare elements that slow down excitement (not even kibble, just spots where it's not truck). It gets away with a good amount though, the round back of the head is visible in the front bumper for corn's sake, but it doesn't fail it. Transformation is simple, Scout class stuff. Bot mode is ok, has some good and bad. The whole underside of the truck is the chest and torso, it comes off a bit slab-y and the dark blue paint there worsens that without properly hearkening back to the G1 character (it intends to, even down to the yellow stripes on the chest, but somehow misses the mark, and the tiny off-center, slightly rotated Autobot logo in the upper left chest is a major afterthought). The head is new, black with a little silvery blue lower face, and wearing silver sunglasses that somewhat call back to the G1 toy. The proportions are mostly normal TF/humanoid, although the shoulders are set far back which annoys me. Sculpting is a mixed back, the hands have a very interesting sculpt that hints at Bayverse styling, there are some spots that have simplistic sculpting though, and a few that are just kinda blank. Articulation is good for a scout-class, double-hinged elbows are the highlight, although the upper arms run into the shoulders when used so you have to think around it, but it's not too bad. In the middle of his chest is a flip-up minicon hard point and they sculpted lines around the base to give it a little gun-looking touch, I like that.

Huffer then transforms into a PCC core, with a very weird head, reminds me of comic book art, and sports big yellow horns and blue light-piped eyes. The arms fold back and lock into place to make it look less like a lazy transformation, and the legs fold on an inner hinge to actually transform a little. I don't have any limbs to connect him to yet, but 2 things already bug me: A) the connection points are these blue blocks pinned into place, and some of the blocks are stuck at slightly off angles. And B) the shoulders are set higher and further back than even the regular figure!

Caliburst is a bland little clear blue minicon. His regular alt mode is a gun emplacement on sculpted gearing, it's meant to be plugged onto the back of Huffer's truck mode. It's ok, I would like it more if the arms pegged together so when you raised the gun, 1 arm didn't get left behind, and the legs are just kinda "there" folded around to make a base, and they get in the way of rotation in alt mode although they seem to have designed the base to fold down just enough to clear the rotation. Then it arbitrarily rotates the gun around and folds the knees up to make a gun that plugs under Huffer's right arm, it's a bit lazy and fat but it's a gun. Unofficially, the legs can fold back and there's 2 small tabs that seem to have no other purpose in any other mode, so I think they're meant to make a small gun grip that actually fits into the odd shape of the hands (which are just shy of the 5mm powerlink hole). There's a 3rd mode, armor that plugs onto Huffer's chest, it looks ok but again the legs just are kinda "there", and in all 3 alt modes they don't lock down, they just use ratcheting knees and friction of the ball-jointed hips, if they had made the legs lock down I think I would have liked this whole set more. Anyway, the armor was a good idea, but the legs stick out the front and have to cover the minicon head, but the legs are easy to accidentally dislodge so it just looks like Huffer is wearing a minicon on his chest. Caliburst's bot mode is a very clear blue minicon, basic Minicon styling, a sideways hardpoint on the outside of each foot and a 3mm hole on the inside of each foot - why 3mm and not 5? I dunno. Otherwise, he's pretty simple, high shoulders and set a little far back. Oh, and he has a gun his entire height plugged under his left arm, the cannon is gray and has a separate blue tip.

All in all, this set is ok, but feels like there wasn't a whole lot of trying to impress, and TRU's $10 feels steep.

HFD Thrust I didn't open yet, he's got a chrome cockpit interior and very yellow tinted canopy parts. The metallic red paint on the 2 I saw had swirls on the left side on the back and robot leg rear, not sure what's up with that. You can totally see his little white face without opening the packaging.

Oh, speaking of the packaging, all the figures today used the new eco-friendly rattan twine to hold the figures to the trays. Last year, Hasbro at SDCC said in their Star Wars panel that not only is it more "green", but it has more give so won't warp toys as much as the plastic-over-metal twisties of the past, nor will it interfere with paint as much. And it's easy to cut open, and easier to untie since it's a simple knot. I believe the Leader Class Hooker Prime doesn't sport these though.

TF:Gen WfC Bumblebee is fascinating. Bot mode is pretty BB-esque, though it has quite a bit of bustle in the back kibble panel. They took some liberties with the source material, but tried to stay as true as they could, including sculpted cues. He's a little tubbier as a figure, but somehow manages to make it work out. A lot of interesting ideas are found, and what they turn into later is quite clever. Decent articulation, the backpack gets in the way of the waist and hips a little, and the transformation side-hinge thighs can be a bit annoying, and the hands rotate diagonally, but mostly decent. There is a fold-out hot pink blade in each forearm, and a slightly bee-themed pistol, dark dark gray with a yellow front, and it can be stowed in the backpack shell.

Transformation is fascinating, there are more ideas here than possibly any previous deluxe, lots of folding and sliding and flipping around, lots of clever sculpting and paint that suggests one thing then leads organically to something else. It is also very complex, and I suspect anybody new to TF (or hasn't been in it for a while) will find this exceptionally confusing. For the well-initiated, I think this will be a hotly debated
TF scheme. There's one bit that is made overly frustrating from the instructions, where the forearms peg into the shoulders, the instructions leave this done too late so it's hard to access, and they don't seem to mention that rotating the hands makes this much easier, good job as ever, Hasbro instruction monkeys. Once you get past that, it's just a bit of panel massaging and you've got a solid cybertronian car. Transformation back is a little daunting since it's hard to remember where to start (you can start with the shell or the legs), but it all feels more natural from there, and going back and forth afterwards I found much easier than I imagined.

Alt mode is really nifty, it unifies ideas together in a very Tron-esque fashion, and looks good doing it. The yellow painted elements don't quite match the cast ones, but it's close enough for me. A few odd hot pink accents give it an electro-zip style, though it makes the Autobot logo on the car nose/bot chest hard to see. There are also some boss holes for screws and pins, but not too bad. I love the fact that it's wide, not enough TF cars are wide, this is a good Cybertronian VW Beetle. No kibble and it rolls well on a mousepad or something with a little friction. The middle and top and car windows are black opaque plastic, while the side and rear windows are dark smoke translucent. There are a few panels that leave a little gap at alignment, but nothing I'd consider major. BB's pistol stores inside the rear of the car the same as in bot mode, it works well. Unusually for a BB figure, the alt mode is a decent-sized deluxe, a little shorter front to back but wider and a decent tapering height.

All in all, I really like this WfC Bumblebee figure a lot, and I'd probably buy the repaint. It's got a lot of charm and has a very interesting transformation. I suspect this is a figure that will appeal to only certain tastes and not every collector will dig it, but it will work smartly for those who dig such things.

WfC Optimus Prime doesn't quite live up to BB there. He's a smaller scale bot since he's a deluxe the same height as BB, the most telling aspect is the tiny head on Prime. Out of the package, he's got mistransformed shoulders and a bunch of kibble, and his chest isn't gelling too well. Once you get all the stuff into its pace, the figure still has a bit too much kibble even when it's design touches, several panels on limbs that don't lock down and should, and I don't really know how the backpack panel should rest. There's also this feeling to me that it's Prime as a facade, like a robot wearing Prime's elements but it's all a bit too big for him - the forearms and lower legs are fat, the chest is big, the belt is thick, but the upper arms, thighs, waist, and head aren't The head is Prime though, an angry anime Prime with tall ears and cold eyes - the eyes are blue translucent, but because the light-pipe doesn't catch ambient light for crap due to size and positioning, it works only when you jam a light down on the top of his head, and otherwise it looks the same color as the tiny head around it). The chest reminds me of movie 1 protoform Prime. Although well-articulated, posing is a challenge because holding him dislodges lower leg and shoulder kibble panels, and drops the shoulders on their transformation joints, and the feet are jointed too far back so there's not enough heel to work with. There's also the hips being limited by the belt, while the belt is designed to flip up to allow full range for the legs, I don't feel it's that necessary except for sitting poses as the belt is far forward allowing around 30 degrees of motion to the hips - and careful with that belt, it occasionally likes to take vacations from its simple friction hinge. Prime sports a long blaster rifle, not his classic G1 version, this is a little more Gundamy and also a little simpler in sculpt than I am used to, but it does fold up and pop onto his back - a cool feature, but it easily dislodges and springs open, flinging itself away from the storage in both modes. Colors are standard red, blue, silvery gray plastics, but instead of yellow they used the electro hot pink again. The Autobot logos on either shoulder contrast better on Prime than on BB's yellow, but the simple tampos here remind me of a few prior Prime figures where the logos have no sculpting to make them special so they just look like an afterthought.

Transformation has some clever stuff going on, some sliding in the legs and things I didn't expect, but relies too heavily on panels, and even worse for me, requires moving parts only at a specific time or else they get in the way of something else down the line. It gets pretty complex with all the moving limbs and panels, and not in a fun way. It also breaks one of the rules I consider important - Optimus Prime's face should never be face-down in alt mode, and certainly not having his painted chin a few millimeters away from a surface when truck mode is set down, that's a no! That said, I do find the way the panels cover the front and sides to be a bit interesting, I like the pipes, and dig the belt turning into the bumper the way it does (even if it is far too close to the ground). Of course, I have to wonder why Hasbro would go to the trouble of paying to design, tool up, paint, and assemble the flip-around kneecaps that turn into tail lights if they're going to let the clowns who make the instructions throw all that money and effort out the window by ignoring it.

Alt mode is a cybertronian truck, it's a bit art deco, and conforms well to deluxe pricepoint sizing. The truck is a tad generic really but gets a few style points for trying to stay smooth and panel-y. The rear half tries to hide the robot thighs folded over as an engine, but it's not getting that job done. I sorta like this truck, the big front wheels offset by 2 sets of smaller rear wheels, the silver star hubcaps with red rims, the small silver grille in the front leading into the bumper, the big pips out the midsection, the separate front fenders, that all works. I was confused as to the lack of windows for the cabin though, I saw the small recessed silver bot chest and at first didn't get that it's supposed to be the windows, the game design it turns out uses that area and the area above it as the windows which stands out better, but Hasbro's bot design kills that, so it's a truck with REALLY small windows that can't see to the side at all, some disguise! I suspect the windows (or lack thereof) might work better at Voyager class, and some of the other elements feel like they could have worked better there as well, but I suspect this was always meant to be a deluxe. The folded up gun can be stowed on top of the "engine block", but not only does it stick up in the air a bit, but the peg is loose and the gun automorphs itself into the air quite often, so for stowing it sucks.

All in all, this is a mixed bag that I'm not sure I could recommend. A little bit works in bot mode, more in alt mode, but what doesn't work in both really doesn't work, and the same can I guess be said for the transformation as well. The scale isn't a good fit to the character, leaving robot mode disproportionate and the vehicle mode somewhat simple. And finally, there's the underwhelming blaster weapon. I think this will be a sliding scale between mild interest and frustration for most collectors.