PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23

Lord Malakite
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
What time and channel does the new transformers air?
I don't have cable, so I can't tell you the when. If I'm not mistaken though the channel should be "The Hub" (formerly "Discovery Kids").

El Chuxter
11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Transformers: Prime starts on Monday night (not sure of the time), and GIJoe: Renegades starts next Friday night on The Hub. (If you had Discovery Kids, it should still be the same channel number.)

JediTricks
11-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I got Terradive. Interesting figure, I like the svelte profile, not a lot of undercarriage junk hanging down, but on the other hand, the view from underneath is pretty mediocre. The colors and plastic feel a bit knockoffy to me, but the design and sculpt are solid work. The transformation is interesting, complex, and perhaps a bit fragile. Bot mode is interesting, not a lot of wings which is a good change. The weapon is a long, very thin spear-into-trident which isn't terribly threatening, but is a decent style choice.

And I opened Dirge. Aside from a serious paint chip on his chest (which was not visible in the package), he's as awesome as I expect a Seeker to be. I need Thundercracker and Sunstorm and that purple dude and my collection will be complete. (Did the purple dude ever get a name? Rainstorm, maybe, since that trio seems to have a fetish for names with "Storm" in them.)Sunstorm is not the yellow Rainmaker, according to Hasbro. The blue and yellow Rainmakers haven't been named yet, only the green one has a name, Acid Storm.

I picked up Dirge on Tuesday, he's alright, definitely the most garish of the bunch, but blame the original for that. I am growing really cold on this Starscream mold though, the last year of Classics has been raising the bar on design and that mold feels so outdated. But it is cool to be 1 step away from completing the Seekers.

Pictures of the Megatron and Optimus Prime figures from this Happy Meal set are out now. If my math is correct these should start showing up at McDonalds on Black Friday. Below is the list of figures supposedly in the set.

Optimus Prime
Megatron
Bumblebee
Starscream
Ironhide
Grindor/Blackout

I am utterly confounded, these come out the same day as the new cartoon but they're FROM THE MOVIE THAT'S ALREADY BEEN OUT ON DVD FOR A WHILE?!? STUPID!

Hard to say. The McDonalds site is simply promoting these (thus far in the "upcoming" toys section) generically as just "Transformers". All of the discussions I've seen at this point on TF websites also appear to be stumped at this point. Did find some poor quality pics of Megatron/Optimus and the other characters though while searching. Below are the poor quality pictures of the remaining figures (I'll edit my above post to include the poor quality Megatron and Optimus pictures).Those are DEFINITELY from the movie, they're all movie designs, not even close to the Prime designs.

What time and channel does the new transformers air?The Hub (formerly Discovery Kids), starts airing on Nov 26th, then a few more episodes on the 29th I think, then... more waiting.

Chaddymac
11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I still love the Classics seeker design. How would you improve on it? Or are you just anxious for more new molds?

El Chuxter
11-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I just want more. I agree with JT that Dirge is a bit weird-looking, but it's not a flaw in the figure. I could never figure out why they essentially made Thundercracker with wooden wings back in the day. (The conehead bit wasn't part of the original figure, though it was easy to mis-transform them that way.)

Pretty odd that he's not Sunstorm, JT. Wasn't the name "Sunstorm" made up for that yellow "Rainmaker" Seeker? And the green one is "Acid Storm." Bizarre.

Chaddymac
11-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Pretty odd that he's not Sunstorm, JT. Wasn't the name "Sunstorm" made up for that yellow "Rainmaker" Seeker? And the green one is "Acid Storm." Bizarre.

That's what I always thought.

JediTricks
11-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I still love the Classics seeker design. How would you improve on it? Or are you just anxious for more new molds?How would I improve on it? First off, this crap with the conehead Seekers having their faces visible in vehicle mode has to go, that is just lazy design. I have a real problem with the underside of the vehicle mode being just a hollow robot chest, the chest would need to be formed another way. The legs are also extremely lazy and plain, the boots are wobbly as well, so there'd be something added to the foot design and the transformation. The wings don't have good clearance with the blasters attached to the arms, that would need to be addressed (probably via a better wing hinge that can fold back to accommodate instead of just plopping down). The landing gear is pretty mediocre, might as well address that. I'd make the undersides of the wings a little better looking. And I'd slim down their missiles and missile launchers a little, they're kinda awkward. If I could budget it, I'd add better articulation as well. I'd give the coneheads different launchers (Ramjet is the only one who has them in the Classics line). And Starscream needs a new paint job, the first one has the awful milky gray plastic head problem, the second one is a bit over the top in bright coloring.

Pretty odd that he's not Sunstorm, JT. Wasn't the name "Sunstorm" made up for that yellow "Rainmaker" Seeker? And the green one is "Acid Storm." Bizarre.No, there was an orangey-yellow and white Seeker in the original first episode (the yellow Rainmaker is all yellow) that a Japanese fan latched onto, eventually he was hired in an official capacity and created the Sunstorm name and character for an e-hobby exclusive set, which then got carried into the Dreamwave comic series and history.

The name "Acid Storm" was forced upon the character because the original name for the toy was going to be "Rainmaker" and when that didn't pass the legal team's approval, "Acid Rain" which also didn't pass legal.

El Chuxter
11-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Ah. I figured they were the same guy, what with all the insane number of miscolorations in the Sunbow cartoon.

Lord Malakite
11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Those are DEFINITELY from the movie, they're all movie designs, not even close to the Prime designs.
What I meant was maybe those toys are supposed to be based on Prime, but they are based on an earlier design concept for Prime (sort of like that BK Russ Cargill toy was based on his early artist conception, which can be seen in deleted scenes). From what I've seen of the Prime characters like Optimus, Bumblebee, an all silver Starscream, etc., they are different from their movie counterparts. But they also appear to be at least loosely inspired by their movie appearances. Maybe early into the show's conception the Prime characters even more closely resembled their movie counterparts than they do now in the final product. It would be safe to reason then that changing a toy mold would be harder to do within the given time frame before the start of a Happy Meal promo for the TF Prime premiere than it would be to change character's appearance in the TF Prime show itself.

El Chuxter
11-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Given the total lack of cross-promotion on both Prime and GIJoe: Renegades, I think it's just more likely that the figures are based on Revenge of the Balls--I mean, Fallen.

Tycho
11-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I saw that Autobot WWII era bomber plane in the store (Target) today.

It really looked nice.

I'm tempted to start a couple "military Transformers" collections.

One would be old-school, like this Autobot plane, and the scout-class bi-plane that came out with the ROTF figures. Forgot his name, but JT showed me the toy. I think his name was recycled from a G1 Insecticon.

Anyway, the other collection would be modern military. I guess I'd buy the Deluxe size Seeker jets. I've seen Dirge and Thrust in the stores and they are nice. The old Generations Starscream from a couple of years back was cool, too.

I could just go ballistic, seeking out and finding this stuff!

And then what?

I don't have enough room to display what I've got.

When I get my big display cases moved in, I think I'm going to set up "Egypt" in one of them, and arrange my ROTF Transformers and then put a framed picture of Michael Bay on top of it. :yes:

JediTricks
11-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Highbrow is the voyager WW2 plane, Divebomb is the red repaint of the scout WW1 plane.

The idea of merely regurgitating movie scenes is so boring and limited to me.

Tycho
11-21-2010, 05:25 PM

The idea of merely regurgitating movie scenes is so boring and limited to me.

I could sympathize with that.

But it does provide some reference for me to "draw the line," else my Transformers collection could get as crazy as my Star Wars collection.

The military hardware collection is, however, one of my alternate ideas.

And yes - it's Highbrow that I saw (Coolness!)

Getting him and Divebomb - or maybe the previous coloring of the bi-plane that you brought to show me, JediTricks - all in a scene - perhaps with Hubcap - would be awesome.

There are many more examples of modern military hardware in the Transformers line - realistically colored, too. (Example of non-realisitc coloring is say, traditional animated Starscream - which is why I bought the dark paint scheme version of the Masterpiece from overseas).

We all have our tastes, but I agree with JediTricks that just regurgitating movie scenes can get boring (and limiting). Still, it will be a cool challenge to design a pyramid and an "Egypt diorama" to display my figures in.

People should be well aware that one major characteristic of me (Tycho) buying the toys is for building displays with them.

A lot of people have many different reasons too: carded collectors, enthusiasts who just like touching the toys and transforming them, and maybe there are even some who can still actually "play" with them (make Autobots and Decepticons shoot each other and fire the spring loaded missiles and so-on in their own made-up adventures with them).

I used to do that last one with my G1 toys back in the day.

Now I've made up my own novel to publish instead. It's become work, but I play too, dressing up as my characters and riding horses and charging the enemy in realistic battle-re-enactments.

Eventually, I will get into modern chase videos with car and boat stunts I hope.
That will come closest to Michael Bay's driving BumbleBee through the glass windows of that warehouse when he rescues Sam and so on. Unfortunately, I wrote a Jaguar into my story. That will be expensive to fix. Maybe I should just crash my Ravage Alternator!

JediTricks
11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Ferrari is bringing back the Lancia Stratos next year! Why is this Transformers news? Because G1 Wheeljack was a Lancia Stratos, and since Bay is forcing the next movie to have a Ferrari Autobot, they could conceivably be able to extend to extend that license to the Stratos.

El Chuxter
11-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Those of you in SoCal, be on the lookout for Skullgrin, Thunderwing, and Cybertronian Cliffjumper. All three found at Target in Redlands today (one Cliffjumper, two of the others). No "Reveal the Shield" figures; I suspect because there's so much movie crap already.

El Chuxter
11-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, my mama always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So, that in mind....

1) He's an MFin' figure of Thunderwing,

2) He's better than the original figure.

As much as I love Thunderwing, I can't not be a little disappointed. He's way too small, first. Though I'm not going to go as far as Tycho and pass entirely on updated figures because of scale issues, he looks funny being so little. Thunderwing is supposed to be a hulking menace.

And the transformation. Yeesh. I thought the original 1984 Seekers were overly simple. This figure is like a freaking Go-Bot. "Fold over wings, extend legs, and, voila!"

Still, he does look pretty nice, scale issues aside.

Also today at Ross, I saw a Wal-Mart repaint of Powerglide in G1 colors. Even having the first, I was tempted. It looked awesome. There was also Hardhead and some dude I'd never heard of, a black Silverbolt (and not Darkwind or Dreadwing, whichever is rotting at TRU).

I'm not too keen on the flat-out repaints of characters, though. I made an exception for Banzai-Tron, since we never saw an awful lot of him in any media (the early IDW comics were his biggest role, IIRC, all two or three panels of it) and the mold is so awesome. And Crossblades and Blaster (I think that's who they were) were unique in the Classics department, though obviously repaints of something. Never got Countdown, but it's not like I couldn't get a few dozen at most TRUs still. The Powermaster jets and Autobot Headmasters are a bit too high profile to simply be repaints of characters from the other faction.

Chaddymac
11-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, my mama always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So, that in mind....

1) He's an MFin' figure of Thunderwing,

2) He's better than the original figure.

As much as I love Thunderwing, I can't not be a little disappointed. He's way too small, first. Though I'm not going to go as far as Tycho and pass entirely on updated figures because of scale issues, he looks funny being so little. Thunderwing is supposed to be a hulking menace.

And the transformation. Yeesh. I thought the original 1984 Seekers were overly simple. This figure is like a freaking Go-Bot. "Fold over wings, extend legs, and, voila!"

Still, he does look pretty nice, scale issues aside.

Also today at Ross, I saw a Wal-Mart repaint of Powerglide in G1 colors. Even having the first, I was tempted. It looked awesome. There was also Hardhead and some dude I'd never heard of, a black Silverbolt (and not Darkwind or Dreadwing, whichever is rotting at TRU).

I'm not too keen on the flat-out repaints of characters, though. I made an exception for Banzai-Tron, since we never saw an awful lot of him in any media (the early IDW comics were his biggest role, IIRC, all two or three panels of it) and the mold is so awesome. And Crossblades and Blaster (I think that's who they were) were unique in the Classics department, though obviously repaints of something. Never got Countdown, but it's not like I couldn't get a few dozen at most TRUs still. The Powermaster jets and Autobot Headmasters are a bit too high profile to simply be repaints of characters from the other faction.
Agree, though the third party Hardhead Headmaster expansion kit is AWESOME. Totally makes him a different character.

Tycho
11-24-2010, 02:05 AM
I saw Cliffjumper in Target. Cool. But I didn't buy. I don't collect that line.

I also saw Thunderwing. He was tempting, too - for that military vehicle scene I kind of have amongst my desires to set up a display of. However, if I like the military stuff so much, I have to ask myself, why not also just buy GI Joes?

Answer: I have only so much room - even if I can get a big 5 bedroom house one day - and I don't need to keep going overboard. Until 2000-whatever (2001?) I wouldn't even collect another toy line besides the Star Trek and huge amount of Star Wars that I'd already amassed. Alternators were too much for me to handle and I caved in and started buying Transformers again.

Alternators and the Masterpiece figures (certain ones - especially Optimus Prime who I'll forever owe El Chuxter for finding for me!) will always be my favorites!

I wasn't able to resist Tomahawk tonight (Autobot Helicopter). I love the military toys! I think I can use him as a non-Transformer vehicle fighting Devastator in my pyramid diorama I want to build.

It would still be totally cool to add a Michael Bay action figure to this scene, posed like he's directing the Transformers in it!!! :yes:

Darth Metalmute
11-26-2010, 11:04 AM
I picked up WFC Soundwave and for three bucks more Red Alert at TRU Wednesday.

Soundwave is a pretty sturdy figure and has a sharp looking robot mode. I don't care for the vehicle mode, but it looks correct and is not too difficult to transform. I still can't help but think that it is wasted in the deluxe size and that this would be an awesome figure as a voyager class.

Red Alert is a good rendition of a G2 figure. Solid looking vehicle form and robot form. Outside of looks, I found this to be one of the biggest pains in the butt to transform. The feet are very hard to pull out of their casing, the arms have a weird connection and in the packaging one of the arms were put on incorrect, and the two gun parts don't stay connected.

JediTricks
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I forgot to mention that I picked up Highbrow the other day.

He's an interesting transformer, kind of a cross between a Gee Bee R and a P-38 Lightning in alt mode, so 1930s-style fighter that's a main cockpit fuselage with a center wing that leads to 2 outrigger booms. The top is military green while the underside is sky blue, an early-20th-century attempt at camouflage. The whole thing is covered in rivet holes, and the only paint is a "P+10" either side of the cockpit, plus an odd white bug-like outline logo on the top of either side of the rear horizontal stabilizer. The underside is mostly skinned, but there are areas of exposed technology, most of which feels appropriate for the plane. The center fuselage here has what appears to be a large center intake, as if it were a 3rd motor just missing its propeller. It's bulbous at the front with a pair of small machine guns at the top, and tapers back to a small canopied cockpit. Underneath is what I guess is a pair of intercoolers and a very oddly-designed 2-wheeled landing leg. The main wing is thicker than a real wing would be, designed to look like radiators at the front (which would kill aerodynamics), and is pretty stubby compared to the real P-38. The booms each have a dull-gold engine block that can be pressed down to spin the propeller with 4 blades; I have to give them credit for making the props counter-rotate (the left is counter-clockwise, the right clockwise), but the 4 blades bother me because that config looks so dull, the real P-38 had 3 blades per prop, as did most planes of that era, and the Gee Bee R had a 2-blade prop - luckily, the transformation allows 2 of the 4 blades to rotate 90 degrees and stop behind the first pair, so it can be shown in a 2-blade look. The underside of each boom has a fold-down wheeled landing gear, and the boom then ends at the tail with its single horizontal stabilizer spanning both booms and then a rudder. To the outside of either boom is a very small wing, the underside has 4 non-removable rockets, the top has a hole to plug in a large gatling gun. It's not perfect, it's a tad small, the tail is hard to align nicely, the props don't freespin after a press, there's a couple exposed screws on the top, and the green paint doesn't quite match the green plastic, but overall it's a very cool and unique alt mode, which is why I spent so much time talking about it.

Transformation looks complex and difficult, it's an oddity to be sure, but conceptually once you understand the "why" then it's actually fairly direct and simple. The instructions are contradictory about what to do with the cockpit fuselage shell halves, showing 1 transformation with them down at the sides and then pictures of them up like tiny wings, but ultimately there seems to be no "correct" answer. The hip armor folds down to have the rockets touching the thigh, it's meant to go all the way flat which requires a bit of pressure, but visually pays off having it not stick out, and it appears they designed it to be rotated back part way, though like the shoulderpads this is mistransformed in-package.

Bot mode is pretty short for a Voyager-class, but has a lot of personality to make up for it. Another ROTF figure with a wider body from the hips down, but he has enough bulk at the arms to somewhat re-balance that. The color scheme is now mostly sky blue and flat gray plastic with a lot less of the military green - this is the underside of the plane, after all; there's no faction logo (the weird white bug outlines end up hidden at the big toe on each foot), but the face adds gold and he's wearing a glossy brown helmet with goggles sorta like a WW1 pilot. The face is an odd triangular design but has normal facial features, the eyes are clear light-pipe (I would have preferred color) with a small trapezoid like windows on a DeLorean. The leather helmet folds down to cover part of the face, with the goggles over the eyes which light-pipes a little oddly. The back is interesting, there's a backpack formed by the cockpit, the cockpit separates from the fuselage shell parts and its underside has an unskinned jet motor, very well detailed, my guess is the shell halves unfold to become little wings for part of a jetpack, but the concept doesn't quite sell without a narrative to carry it (and it doesn't have that narrative on the packaging). The jet motor isn't the only detailing, there's a lot strewn about, there aren't any blank surfaces, which unfortunately highlights the low amount of detail at the chest - there's actually more than it seems, but the light blue color and the landing gear take away from it. Each forearm has the propeller and engine spinner segment, and below that an offset fist made from some plumbing (that bit was clever despite being so simple, some time was put into sculpting that to integrate). The forearms unfortunately have a tab of kibble that just detracts from the looks and gets hunt up by the hip armor, and the offset fists don't stand out against the larger propeller and blue motor fuselages, so it's a bit of a weirdy there despite good intentions - the fists are offset mainly so that the engines can be turned sideways to present the spinning props as hand-replacement weapons, and it bites off a little more than it can chew in execution. The arms look a lot better out in front, especially holding the gatling gun accessories. Speaking of which, the guns look great from the outside, lots of detail, the 5mm pegs are a bit short but they work, I do think they're a bit large in vehicle mode but a good fit in bot mode, but the inner side is hollow which sucks - it's mainly only noticeable when holstered to the hip armor though. The legs taper down and use the fuselage shell to bulk up the otherwise spindly lower legs; they end in a foot that has 2 large thin toes made from the wingtips and rudders of the rear stabilizer, with the majority of the rear stabilizer used as the main foot and folded-up heel (it folds up mainly so it doesn't look like a plank).

Articulation is very good, the head rotates, the shoulders are universal joints (hinge and rotation), the upper bicep rotates, the elbow hinges well past 90 degrees, the shoulder and hip armor plates are hinged, the hips are universal joints, the mid-thigh rotates, the knees are only a little high and hinge 90 degrees, the ankles are forward-facing universal joints so the feet rotate to match the leg spread and can dip down, and the toes are hinged with transformation joints to add more stability if needed. The spinning propeller hand-replacement weapons seem effective, they get an extra side-hinge so they can face forward. The 1 big problem with articulation is that the hip spread hinges are a little stronger than the waist halves, so moving the legs often results in the waist de-transforming instead, spreading apart.

Highbrow is an odd duck, a very nifty and unique vehicle mode, and an equally unique bot mode with lots of detail and articulation, yet both modes are small for the pricepoint, and the bot mode has a few design issues. I found it easier to like this figure after spending a few days, at first it was cool, then a little WTF, and finally landed on "eccentric". I like Highbrow, but I suspect this figure won't be for everybody's tastes.

Tycho
11-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Transformation looks complex and difficult, it's an oddity to be sure,

This is one reason why I think he looks so cool!

Part of the playability with the line, and what you've got to admire, is the engineering / designing that goes into these things.

They may make it already, but jets and cars that transform sideways or turn inside-out would be an awesome new step for Transformers to take.

The figures could wind up being shorter than usual, and they will have to figure out how to cost-out good articulation and weapons, features, etc.

Possibly why Highbrow is shorter is he may have been intended for the Deluxe line at one point, and couldn't fit in there for cost reasons.

If you had a Deluxe Autobot car that transformed side-ways, or inside-out, and you wanted to retain a normal standard of height and articulation, you might have to add doubled-up panels in the transformation to extend legs and arms, yet retain some thickness for aesthetic reasons.

So you package them at a higher pricepoint.

I'd be OK with Hasbro doing this - but publically discuss this so we don't have to listen to all the complainers talking about why " a Deluxe figure " is Voyager classified, etc.

Who would I have designed in such a manner? Probably new characters - just like Highbrow might be (I don't know if he is, but I suspect).

The traditional characters should maintain their traditional transformations. But that's just my preference. You have some leeway with Megatron who's now (in the movies) always changing his alt-form.

El Chuxter
11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
So, these "Reveal the Shield" figures.... Do the stores consider them movie figures? Meaning does every store around have to clear out a crap-ton of Skids and Mudflap before I might find Jazz or Tracks?

Chaddymac
11-30-2010, 10:23 PM
So, these "Reveal the Shield" figures.... Do the stores consider them movie figures? Meaning does every store around have to clear out a crap-ton of Skids and Mudflap before I might find Jazz or Tracks?
I heard that Hasbro gave the RTS figs the same assortment number as the HFD figs, so... maybe.

El Chuxter
11-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I was afraid of that. This makes me sad.

Tycho
12-01-2010, 12:48 AM
This is a funny look at how Revenge of the Fallen should have ended! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdZ-yjxHLI)

ROTFLMAO

JediTricks
12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I was afraid of that. This makes me sad.Well, it's a double-edged sword, RTS replaces not only HFTD but Generations, so it actually should have more pegspace in time.

This is one reason why I think he looks so cool!

Part of the playability with the line, and what you've got to admire, is the engineering / designing that goes into these things.

They may make it already, but jets and cars that transform sideways or turn inside-out would be an awesome new step for Transformers to take.

The figures could wind up being shorter than usual, and they will have to figure out how to cost-out good articulation and weapons, features, etc.

Possibly why Highbrow is shorter is he may have been intended for the Deluxe line at one point, and couldn't fit in there for cost reasons.

If you had a Deluxe Autobot car that transformed side-ways, or inside-out, and you wanted to retain a normal standard of height and articulation, you might have to add doubled-up panels in the transformation to extend legs and arms, yet retain some thickness for aesthetic reasons.

So you package them at a higher pricepoint.

I'd be OK with Hasbro doing this - but publically discuss this so we don't have to listen to all the complainers talking about why " a Deluxe figure " is Voyager classified, etc.

Who would I have designed in such a manner? Probably new characters - just like Highbrow might be (I don't know if he is, but I suspect).

The traditional characters should maintain their traditional transformations. But that's just my preference. You have some leeway with Megatron who's now (in the movies) always changing his alt-form.Couldn't read the rest of the words in that sentence you quoted, huh?

The engineering generally doesn't impress me. I've got engineers and toolmakers in my family, I know what goes into making this stuff, it's clever but in some ways it's less complex than a simple button in the space shuttle. Each is a neat thing on its own, but it's more the expression of the concept in the vacuum of the brand that I'm interested in, not the overall. Heck, I've built transforming robot/vehicles with LEGO all my life, it's not a new concept.

Highbrow isn't smaller because he's more complex or because he was planned as a deluxe, he's smaller because - like with a lot of TFs lately - Hasbro has gotten cheap and is shrinking the figures to cost-save. First they push up the pricepoint a few bucks, then the shrink the figures down when they can't go higher than the market will accept.

And using existing transformation schemes on classic characters is lazy. What's the point? We already have been there and done that, there are more ideas now, more complexities, more nuances, and still almost no jet transformers that avoid having a mountain of robot kibble junk hanging underneath.

Tycho
12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I know why they push the pricepoint up (to make more profit) but what I don't know - is if size (specifically the minute difference between Voyager and Deluxe sizes) matters much in cost of the plastic.

Can someone enlighten me about this?

JediTricks
12-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I know why they push the pricepoint up (to make more profit) but what I don't know - is if size (specifically the minute difference between Voyager and Deluxe sizes) matters much in cost of the plastic.

Can someone enlighten me about this?
Yes, smaller toy, less material.

figrin bran
12-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Yes, smaller toy, less material.

Also, less tooling/molds to make deluxes than voyagers.

JediTricks
12-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Also, less tooling/molds to make deluxes than voyagers.
You misunderstand, we're talking about both deluxes and voyagers being shrunken from previous iterations to save on costs.

Tycho
12-04-2010, 01:27 AM
You misunderstand, we're talking about both deluxes and voyagers being shrunken from previous iterations to save on costs.

I'm confused now. I don't know what we were talking about.

However, if they're shrinking figures, why not make a Scout Class BumbleBee like I want, already?

(and SideSwipe, the Ferrari, and other normally Deluxe-size Autobots and Decepticons).

figrin bran
12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I bought Thunderwing and Cybertron Cliffjumper at Target today. Didn't really feel like getting Skullgrin.

El Chuxter
12-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Truth is, if they hadn't slapped the Skullgrin name a new head, I would've probably passed, too. I always had a soft spot for the big berzerker for some reason.

El Chuxter
12-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Saw "Reveal the Shield" stuff today finally, at a K-Mart in Temecula, CA. They had the Mind-whatever dude and the movie Outback. Unfortunately, none of the ones I wanted, which sucked extra due to a pretty nice sale they have on now.

El Chuxter
12-11-2010, 09:07 PM
And I saw Jazz at another K-Mart. I passed; the sale isn't worth it if you only want one figure, and their prices suck.

clone157
12-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Just picked up Blurr. Does anyone else think that this mold would have worked better as an Arcee?

TheDarthVader
12-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Can someone help identify this transformer? I came across it and I have no idea who he is. I can't remember.....is it cyclonus? no...who could it be?

Darth Metalmute
12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Its Megatron from the Cybertron series.

Although he might have been res-erected as Galvatron in that series.

TheDarthVader
12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks a lot for the information!! I still can't find another picture that matches him on the web. I don't get it. Can someone post a link to a website that has a picture for this figure? I would greatly appreciate it. I would like year made and more detailed information.

AFCollector
12-14-2010, 02:10 AM
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Megatron_%28Armada%29/toys

Check down at "Energon", that looks like the one you posted to me. :)

TheDarthVader
12-14-2010, 10:40 AM
That is it! Thanks man!!

Darth Metalmute
12-14-2010, 10:04 PM
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Megatron_%28Armada%29/toys

Check down at "Energon", that looks like the one you posted to me. :)

That's right, Energon. I lost track of the mini-con series order.

JediTricks
12-15-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm confused now. I don't know what we were talking about.That is why you fail.

However, if they're shrinking figures, why not make a Scout Class BumbleBee like I want, already?I am going to start deleting these repetitive posts of yours that just bound in to talk about the same stuff over and over with only the thinnest of threads connecting them to the real conversation.

Its Megatron from the Cybertron series.

Although he might have been res-erected as Galvatron in that series.
Actually, that is Leader-class Megatron from the Energon series, and Galvatrons in that era were always purple for the main color.

I got Thunderwing, he's ok, fun in a whooshable way, but dead simple, lazy soft sculpting, and crappy head. Leaving the arms to the side of the vehicle mode really puts a damper on it, but the little drone is a step back towards the right direction.

TheDarthVader
12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
I recently picked up Dirge. Very nice figure with a great sculpt and more like the old school Dirge. Nice paint and great look.

Tycho
12-21-2010, 06:58 PM
I am going to start deleting these repetitive posts of yours that just bound in to talk about the same stuff over and over with only the thinnest of threads connecting them to the real conversation.

Threads also comprise clothing. I have one blue Autobot T-shirt. That is Transformers clothing.

But I think I would like to get some other cool Autobot-wear.

I'm an Autobot fan, no matter how much I wish for more LC Decepitons (like Blackout) and Human [Nemesis] scale Decepticons (like Rampage and Sideways).

I am going to start deleting these repetitive posts of yours that just bound in to talk about the same stuff over and over with only the thinnest of threads connecting them to the real conversation.

I'm sorry. Did you say something? :D

El Chuxter
12-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Picked up Tracks yesterday at Target. Curiously, they were out of Jazz. I'm leaning toward "no" on Fallback; he's too movie-styled. If he were a repaint or retool of Legends Brawn, I'd get him, but he's not.

JediTricks
12-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Fallback is a repaint of movie Brawn, which is why he's movie styled. Reveal The Shield is a combination line with Generations-style figures and movie-style figure, I gather.

My order from HTS of Tracks and Jazz showed up the day before xmas eve. I had been hearing a lot of guff about how bad Tracks is, and a lot of lauding for Jazz, so I started with Jazz.

Jazz's alt mode is really a mix of 2 different vehicles, the nose to the end of the hood is an amalgamation of Porsche Boxter and Pontiac Solstice but curiously everything from the windshield back is a Nissan 350Z. That is extremely odd because they've already got a 350Z in the Classics line that 3 characters are done as, first Prowl, then Smokescreen and finally Bluestreak. And it's the 350Z's weakest point, the rear end is vague and bloated. Then Hasbro went so cheap on deco they should be rapped on the knuckles by a nun, they put almost no paint on the car after the B-pillars, so the back window and lights and bumper line are all white except for the racing stripe running across the fenders - they didn't even complete the racing stripe down the middle! There's also no paint on the wheels or grille, but it's not as offensive, although the Japanese version's pictures just hit the web and it has ALL of that stuff painted in. At least when making a new 350Z for no reason they moved the spoiler up to above the rear window which looks quite good. Jazz's forearms are visible from the sides under the doors, and nearly rub the ground even when done right. A gimmick in this mode is opening the doors to reveal a pair of speakers - though not like the loudspeakers from the cartoon, more like bookshelf speakers. Portions of the front fenders have a tiny bit of alignment issue from transformation, as do panels that make up the rear end, but it's not horrible. The color of the plastic is white with a slight hint of translucence that seems a touch milky, while the roof is painted a brighter white over translucent blue. On the top of the roof is a rubsign, and it's been die-cut, no more square block around the shape. Ooh, 3 decades later and we get an advance! The alt mode has a good personality overall, the spoiler offsets the rear end in a way that makes it beefy but still a slick sports car.

Transformation is a variation on the G1 original, adding a little automorph for the head, but making it impossible to fold the door wings back which the original did. Unfortunately, the chest doesn't lock down, nor do the shoulders, which makes posing and play a tad frustrating. Transformation back to vehicle mode is straightforward except for alignment issues with the forearms and the roof which can be easily missed, but aren't a huge deal.

Bot mode is ok, but a number of things keep it from really popping, the aforementioned deco issues and non-locked-down chest, and there's something about it that doesn't exactly feel like Jazz to me, partly due to the door wings, but mainly the face. The head is clearly Jazz's, but there's a really peeved frown on his face which is then amplified by the overpronounced chin sculpt. It's a good sculpt really, just not Jazz's thanks to that expression. This robot mode has a lot of gappy areas that are just barely covered over, from most normal angles it's not a big deal, but from lower angles and close up the chest gap is very cheap-looking, as is the back of the thighs being totally hollow. The figure has some good sculpting, the forearms are black plastic with white paint which makes its details pop out, but unfortunately the rest of the white bits are cast white plastic so they just eat the sculpted details, of which there are plenty but largely lost to poor deco - there are even 2 modern-style car speakers sculpted into the back of each door. And the areas that aren't white are black which looks so plain compared to those areas on the G1 figure which had color to really bring those designs out (those were stickers, these are sculpted elements and don't even get as much attention, how dopey is that?). Articulation is good for a deluxe, ball-jointed head can really move, swivel waist, hinge & rotation hips, ball-jointed shoulders, swivel biceps and thighs, double-hinged elbows and knees, ball-jointed wrists, hinged feet with independent heels. Moving the figure is a bit frustrating though, the ball-jointed shoulders are tight but the chest and shoulder panels are not, so they're likely to get dislodged and then everything requires fiddling again. Likewise, the knees being double-hinged too often ends up with the thighs behind the shins rather than above them, throwing off the balance and visual appeal. The independent heels often get pushed back as well, so every time a pose is messed with, it seems like every bit of the figure needs readjustment.

So, what's good about Jazz's robot mode then? Well, it's a tall figure for a deluxe yet doesn't sacrifice bulk. Decent proportions, no weird skinny bits anywhere. The speakers pop out of his door wings and can be removed on their 3mm clips to be attached to his blaster, that's fun. There's good sculpting on most areas, extra details on interior surfaces, and a ton of touches harkening back to the original G1 figure such as the lined details on the shins, and the shape of the forearms and hips. The soles of the feet are angled for a nice wider stance. His rubsign ends up on his back in the proper orientation, and is his only faction symbol.

Bottom line, Jazz is a mixed bag, there are good things going for this figure but some cost-cutting issues and a few design choices really hold it back from being all it should be, especially at the deco and hollow bits. It's also hard to get past the un-Jazzy facial expression. Design issues also make it hard to pose without other things going wrong thanks largely to the free-moving chest. And why they went back to the Nissan 350Z for alt mode is beyond me. I'd grade this figure a "C+" that could have easily been a higher grade.

"Turbo Tracks" (they couldn't get legal clearance I guess for just Tracks) is so very different from his wave-mate Jazz. When I was a kid, I really dug car toys that flew, the Omnibot Overdrive was simple but really hit home with me. I never got Tracks as a kid, but I quite liked how the pictures looked of his flight mode, they really got that right. This new Tracks carries the spirit of the original yet is its own thing.

G1 Tracks in alt mode was a 1970s Corvette, blue with a garish flame deco on the hood. This new Tracks is a darker blue car, it's wider and beefier than any Corvette, but still has some of its styling, though I'd say the designers here crossed the Vette with a Camaro and added a few angular touches to boot - I think it's a fine automobile they've created, it has its own special style that doesn't remind me of any other TF (yet - they're reusing this mold with a few changes as Wheeljack down the road). The deco has tribal orange and yellow flames on the hood, they are garish, but it feels apt to a modern day show-off. There's also a decent amount of deco around while retaining a clean look, silver wheels and headlights, dark gray grille, red tail lights, dark smoke windows, and white pipes under the doors. Almost all the blue is plastic except for the roof and A-pillars which are painted and don't quite match - mine has 2 shiny lines on the roof from where the clear bands held the part down, the rattan strings didn't harm the paint but these clear bands did. On the roof is the die-cut rubsign, well-hidden among the dark blue, it's the only faction logo on the figure. There aren't many seams in alt mode, but there is some panel massage needed to get the rear end and doors to line up.

Flight mode is in the instructions, although I found the bit about rotating the thin panel at the rear end to be a bit vague since it rotates along the car's Z axis (the length of the car), basically it's just folding stuff out of the way to pull the doors down. What you end up with is... underwhelming, the doors don't impress as wings at all, they have not enough color or shape to carry the concept, the hinges add too much bulk, and they sit too low - well under the wheel line. You can slide them out slightly, hinge them up, fold down the rear wheels, to be hover fans, but in the end it's still lacking. I give them credit for trying though.

Transformation looks complex, in the instructions they make it quite complex. It's actually somewhat elegant though, there's enough to do that it's not simple, but it's major stuff, and there's some automorph with the head and shoulders - this doesn't lock down though, but it's not as bad as Jazz's chest. Tracks' instructions totally fail to show an important aspect about the backpack though, the wings slide out but then they're also designed to hinge up 45 degrees which allows clearance for the backpack to peg down. Oddly, Jazz and Tracks both share a different snafu in the instructions, where tabs holding the windshield to other parts aren't identified and they expect you to just slide parts away which are locked down. Tracks' transformation back to alt mode is fairly direct, although the hips can get out of alignment a bit easily requiring more massage, and the arms and hands have a specific orientation and alignment with regards to the elbow hinges. Oh, and it's SUUUUUPER easy to forget to stash the gun until it's too late.

Tracks in robot mode is a very cool customer. There's plenty of new details and some new paint brought to bear. The end result takes plenty of cues from the G1 figure but feels nicely modern as well. The first thing that's striking is the head with its red face and dark gray eyes, the sculpt is very reminiscent of the original. There are wings beyond his shoulders, rear wheels at the shoulders, the windshield and roof as the chest with the rubsign present, and the flip-down tab-style feet. The pipes/thrusters also can clip onto 3mm rails behind his head, and while the rear section of the car is still a backpack, this one folds all the way down instead of hanging out behind his head. This new Tracks comes off a little wider than the original, the backpack adds a bit of that but I don't find it offensively so, and the blaster can be stowed inside. The figure's proportions are good, no long or oversized arms, knees in the right place, then big boots but that's a standard Transformers thing. Tracks doesn't have as much sculpted detail as Jazz, there are some flat spots on the insides of things, but largely it's not a big deal as he's got it where it counts. He's about a head shorter than Jazz but not short for a deluxe, and he's got enough bulk to counter it.

Tracks has a black and silver handgun that is clearly the shoulder weapon from Wheeljack, who the mold is getting used as in a few months. His hands are 5mm holes, but they're sculpted open with a high thumb which can be an issue for shorter 5mm pegs. He's got very good articulation, ball-jointed head, ball-jointed shoulders with a shrug hinge, swivel biceps and thighs, double-hinged elbows, swivel wrists and waist, limited range hinged knees, and hinged feet that have independent ball joints at the front and rear section. The feet joints are a little light, no one joint can do it by itself so they have to work in concert - luckily, they have a great amount of range to really plant for that. The wings and shoulder thrusters/cannons also can move a bit. The chest doesn't lock down but isn't the problem Jazz's is, it doesn't move as often and when it does it only slides down a little bit.

Overall, I really like Tracks, there's a fine-looking alt mode, a keen transformation, a great robot mode, and even a flight mode of sorts. There are a few little issues, but the figure has a lot of personality and thought put into the execution. I'd grade it "A-".

Chaddymac
12-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I think I love Jazz a bit more than you, JT, but I share your confusion ahout why Tracks isn't getting more love. My only Jazz complaints are the lack of deco. The mold is what I've wanted for decades! It would've been cool if his doors folded away somehow, perhaps with an extra joint (maybe some third party retailer will come up with something like they did with the Staracream Coronation set), but I'm not having a problem swinging them behins him. I transform the speakers out and there's plenty of room.

Re: Tracks' flight mode; I did a slightly modified version that actually harkens back to the G1 version and covers up the gap left by opening the doors. Swing out his arms so that they lay over the doors. It will swing the wheels down as part of the transformation. I like it so much more, I wonder if it wasn't somehow the original intention.

El Chuxter
12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
People dislike Tracks? Are they daft? What do they want, a $10 action figure that actually whines if you get fingerprints on it?

And I still wonder why there's a combo line replacing the movie line with the same SKU, but the Generations line will continue. Do they want some sales under this SKU to make up for all the Skids and Mudflaps no one wants? More likely, I'm afraid it will make Reveal the Shield figures a bit tougher to find, as stores will be iffy about ordering them (which seems to be the reason the GIJoe Cobra Fury went to Ross before normal retail outlets, as best I can figure).

JediTricks
12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
It would've been cool if his doors folded away somehow, perhaps with an extra joint (maybe some third party retailer will come up with something like they did with the Staracream Coronation set), but I'm not having a problem swinging them behins him.His doors actually are jointed in a way that they could fold all the way back, but his roof is hinged in a way which will not allow it. Why they used pins instead of friction for the roof joints, I'll never understand, then we could have popped that roof off. As for leaving them back, they just don't look as good, still look like doorwings to me.

Re: Tracks' flight mode; I did a slightly modified version that actually harkens back to the G1 version and covers up the gap left by opening the doors. Swing out his arms so that they lay over the doors. It will swing the wheels down as part of the transformation. I like it so much more, I wonder if it wasn't somehow the original intention.Interesting. Do you slide the hands out of the forearms or leave them there? I just tried it, the alignment on the arms doesn't look nice in anything I've come up with, just looks like arms. I fold the forearms all the way back and it fills a little better and squares off, but it's still got those hands.

People dislike Tracks? Are they daft? What do they want, a $10 action figure that actually whines if you get fingerprints on it?

And I still wonder why there's a combo line replacing the movie line with the same SKU, but the Generations line will continue. Do they want some sales under this SKU to make up for all the Skids and Mudflaps no one wants? More likely, I'm afraid it will make Reveal the Shield figures a bit tougher to find, as stores will be iffy about ordering them (which seems to be the reason the GIJoe Cobra Fury went to Ross before normal retail outlets, as best I can figure).I think folks problem with Tracks is mainly the backpack getting hung up by the wings which is the fault of the instructions, the figure isn't the problem.

I think they rolled Generations into the mainline because neither line was selling strongly enough this last year to get retailers to buy 2 separate lines. Reveal the Shield is a subline of the mainline, it turns out, not a new thing, so it'll keep pace with the existing ROTF line, which should clear out all the old junk for the holidays - TRU sold off a ton of the '09 ROTF figures for $6 this holiday.

---

I was watching some G1 cartoons last night after reviewing Jazz and Tracks and playing War for Cybertron, and it got me thinking about what all the Classics lines have delivered for the G1 faithful in this particular style (no reissues of other lines). Rounding 5am, I came up with a list of figures I had. In no particular order...

Autobots:

Optimus Prime
Ironhide
Jazz
Hound
Tracks
Bumblebee
Sunstreaker
Sideswipe
Prowl
Jetfire
Powerglide
Inferno
Hot rod
Mirage
Grimlock
Ultra Magnus

(To be clear, I didn't really want to include Magnus, it's a cop-out without his trailer, but what ya gonna do?)

Decepticons:

Megatron
Starscream
Skywarp
Thrust
Ramjet
Dirge
Astrotrain
Octane
Ravage
Onslaught
Galvatron
Cyclonus

(I'm not counting the OP vs Megs 2pack since Megs there is G2. I don't care if Inferno is claiming to be G2, it's too slight a difference to matter.)

Comics characters:

Straxus
Drift
Thunderwing

Figures in the line that I don't have:

Cliffjumper
Cosmos
Wheelie
Warpath
Beachcomber
Brawn
Acid Storm (I really have a hard time counting this as anything)
Bluestreak
Smokescreen
Ratchet
Silverbolt
Red Alert
Blurr
Skullgrin.

(I'm not going to bother listing the Ultra-class repaints or anything from a convention.)

Figures coming soonish:

Wheeljack
Thundercracker
Windcharger
Rumble
Perceptor
Wreck-gar
Grapple

Recent figures in other lines that pretty much count here:

Huffer (PCC)
Seaspray (ROTF)

All told, that's 54 Classics-styled G1 characters! That's a heck of a run, I had no idea I had that many. The Legends minibots situation is a downer, but again, what ya gonna do? I honestly don't know why Hasbro is dragging their feet at re-releasing some of these figures and their repaints. At the very least Starscream could use another pass with better paint, Skywarp was missed by many, Smokescreen deserves a better pass, Ratchet and Ironhide deserve figures that don't have a million ugly seams, and I'd like to see Hasbro finally get a blue Bluestreak done mainly just for a better-looking Bluestreak figure than the rather unfortunate Silverstreak they did (I know he's not supposed to be blue in color but in language).

Who still needs to be done? I'm thinking mainly from the cartoon, so Trailbreaker, Gears, Soundwave (!!!), Laserbeak, Shockwave, Reflector, Slag, Sludge, Swoop, Snarl... and then we'd get into combiners so I'll just stop here.

El Chuxter
12-30-2010, 06:24 PM
In fairness, Thunderwing was a G1 toy before he appeared in the comic book. Part of the big deal with him is how they made such a POS toy into such a badarse super-Decepticon.

I'd definitely count Bludgeon as a "figure in another line who pretty much counts," and possibly Banzai-Tron, too, since the character was so insanely minor and didn't transform.

Chaddymac
12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Interesting. Do you slide the hands out of the forearms or leave them there? I just tried it, the alignment on the arms doesn't look nice in anything I've come up with, just looks like arms. I fold the forearms all the way back and it fills a little better and squares off, but it's still got those hands.

I tuck the hands close to the hood of the car, open towards his body. They're relatively hidden there.

As for the other g1 figs, I think you're spot on with your list of what would be cool to get. As for re-do's, I think Galvatron and Powerglide are good candidates. They just weren't good molds. Starscream WAS re-released with better colors. Did you know about it, or was this not strong enough for you? http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/universe-classics-20-decepticons-263/starscream-1898/

Tycho
12-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Cool list, JediTricks. I love listing things!

I've made a list of the Dark Of The Moon purchases I plan to make:

(these are not confirmed toys yet, but highly probable).

Voyager Class collection (includes others that are scaled right):

HAVE ALREADY: Optimus Prime, Del Ironhide, Del Ratchet.

Want:

Leader Class Silverbolt (if he does appear)*

Voy Megatron
Voy Starscream
Del Security Truck (Deception) - could be Shockwave
Del Dreads (x2) Chevy Suburbans (Decepticons)
Legends Soundwave - is this the right scale for SW? I think they made this.

I'm not sure what Silverbolt will be if he appears, and if he'll be larger than Starscream - so this 'want' might be reduced to a Voy Silverbolt. Not sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leader Class Collection:

ALREADY HAVE: Leader Starscream

Want:

Ldr. Megatron
Voyager Security Truck (Decepticon)
Voy Dreads (Chevy Suburbans) x 2 (Decepticons)
*** I am not sure of Soundwave's scale size
*** I am not sure of Shockwave's scale size - he could be the security truck

Del Autobot Wrecker 1
Del Autobot Wrecker 2
Del Autobot Wrecker 3
Wheeljack (the blue Mercedes that transforms into "Einstein?"
Del SideSwipe as a convertible
Del Ferrari (Hot Rod?)
Leader Silverbolt
Legends Wheelie (if the size looks correct)

JediTricks
12-31-2010, 04:45 PM
In fairness, Thunderwing was a G1 toy before he appeared in the comic book. Part of the big deal with him is how they made such a POS toy into such a badarse super-Decepticon.True enough, but the only reason anybody gives a crap about the new Thunderwing figure is the comics character, so I mentally put him in that box.

I'd definitely count Bludgeon as a "figure in another line who pretty much counts," and possibly Banzai-Tron, too, since the character was so insanely minor and didn't transform.This was suggested on TFV as well, and for me it doesn't quite work because Bludgeon's figure takes a lot of aesthetic from the movie line he's in, specifically the limbs. I'm on the fence though as he is a skeletal theme in a way.

I tuck the hands close to the hood of the car, open towards his body. They're relatively hidden there.I thought you meant IN the hood at the door openings. Then I realized you meant outside, but they still look like arms to me. What worked with the original is that the arms looked like something else there, here they just look like arms and it's driving me nuts. I tried folding them up, they don't look like arms but they don't look like much of anything, then I dod the "in the hood" idea from the miscommunication and they do fill the hole a little but they don't look right either. I took quick-n-dirty pics of each with my ipod:
http://img571.imageshack.us/i/img0063c.jpg/
http://img88.imageshack.us/i/img0064iv.jpg/
http://img709.imageshack.us/i/img0065vt.jpg/
http://img841.imageshack.us/i/img0066dg.jpg/

As for the other g1 figs, I think you're spot on with your list of what would be cool to get.Cool, thanks! Seems like Hasbro sneakily delivered a lot of those G1 main guys without us noticing how close to complete it is.

As for re-do's, I think Galvatron and Powerglide are good candidates. They just weren't good molds. Starscream WAS re-released with better colors. Did you know about it, or was this not strong enough for you? http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/uni...arscream-1898/ (http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/universe-classics-20-decepticons-263/starscream-1898/)I kinda like Galvatron, but the mold could use a little tweaking. Powerglide I find ok but not outstanding, kinda reminds me of Seaspray in that way, they went big with a minibot but didn't deliver big quality.

I did know about that re-release, but the colors are garish, the gray is very white and eats the detailing, and the red is way over the top, so it comes off looking quite cheap. Hasbro thought it'd be cartoon-accurate, but they cheaped out so it just looked bad all around. They thought it'd be as good as the Henkei version:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Henkei_Starscream_toy.jpg
but it just turned out awful:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Universe2008_deluxe_G1Starscream.jpg
and honestly isn't as good as v1:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:ClassicsStarscream_toy.jpg

Cool list, JediTricks. I love listing things!

I've made a list of the Dark Of The Moon purchases I plan to make:

(these are not confirmed toys yet, but highly probable).

Voyager Class collection (includes others that are scaled right):

HAVE ALREADY: Optimus Prime, Del Ironhide, Del Ratchet.

Want:

Leader Class Silverbolt (if he does appear)*

Voy Megatron
Voy Starscream
Del Security Truck (Deception) - could be Shockwave
Del Dreads (x2) Chevy Suburbans (Decepticons)
Legends Soundwave - is this the right scale for SW? I think they made this.

I'm not sure what Silverbolt will be if he appears, and if he'll be larger than Starscream - so this 'want' might be reduced to a Voy Silverbolt. Not sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leader Class Collection:

ALREADY HAVE: Leader Starscream

Want:

Ldr. Megatron
Voyager Security Truck (Decepticon)
Voy Dreads (Chevy Suburbans) x 2 (Decepticons)
*** I am not sure of Soundwave's scale size
*** I am not sure of Shockwave's scale size - he could be the security truck

Del Autobot Wrecker 1
Del Autobot Wrecker 2
Del Autobot Wrecker 3
Wheeljack (the blue Mercedes that transforms into "Einstein?"
Del SideSwipe as a convertible
Del Ferrari (Hot Rod?)
Leader Silverbolt
Legends Wheelie (if the size looks correct)That sure is a list of things that might exist or might not.

El Chuxter
12-31-2010, 05:18 PM
The ROTF Bludgeon figure also owes a lot to the IDW re-design, which, IIRC, pre-dated the first live action TF movie. Here's pics of him in his shell (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/1/13/IDWBludgeonShell.jpg) and out of his shell (http://images.wikia.com/transformers/images/4/49/Bludgeon.jpg) (since the head is missing the lower jaw, which seems like a nod to IDW Bludgeon's mysteriously missing jaw).

JediTricks
12-31-2010, 06:03 PM
That doesn't help the toy's aesthetics fit in with the Classics line though. And Don Figueroa designed the IDW one based on an unused Unicron Trilogy figure he worked on.

Chaddymac
01-01-2011, 02:09 AM
That doesn't help the toy's aesthetics fit in with the Classics line though. And Don Figueroa designed the IDW one based on an unused Unicron Trilogy figure he worked on.
Yeah, I was talking about the 3rd and 4th Tracks pics, but I like you're idea with 1 and 2. That's clever!

Tycho
01-01-2011, 04:56 PM
That sure is a list of things that might exist or might not.

Well it's good to dream - and limit yourself before one runs out of money, SPACE for the toys, or probably both.

I forgot about my hopes that Human Alliance continues:

Human Nemesis Shockwave (security truck?) vs Simmons? (only Decepticon again?)
Human Alliance Ferrari (Hot Rod?) with Carly?
Human Alliance Wheeljack (blue Mercedes?) with Lennox?
Human Alliance Sideswipe (convertible) with Epps?

(Sam will probably come with another re-issue of BumbleBee).

So we'll see what they make.

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

I did some searching. Fortunately, I can read German.

They are making a LEADER CLASS IRONHIDE for DOTM!

I have pictures of both the Voyager and Leader Class toys for Megatron! (some posted below)

There are new Insecticons being made. The first 3 G1's and they will transform from robot to bug and COMBINE into a train engine (like Astrotrain). I have pictures and will post them shortly. I think I get to put up 5 at a time.

I have first chosen to post HUMAN ALLIANCE HOUND. Well it sure looks like Hound versus any other 'bot we've seen in the films. It appears he'll come with Major Lennox (in the photo below).

I have DOTM packaging images, too. Let's see what I get up...

El Chuxter
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Hound is an AWE Striker now, and comes with Duke? :D

Tycho, I don't know if those Insecticons are Hasbro concepts. "Hearts of Steel" was a sort of Elseworlds/What If? Transformers story set in the 19th century. IIRC, Guido Guidi was the artist on that series, and those images look more like the sort of concept art submitted to Hasbro for a comic series. It'd be awesome if they make them, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd expect Hearts of Steel figures based on, well, anyone else first.

The local Wal-Mart here sucks. They did not restock any toys during the entire holiday season, aside from some random 2008 Rise of Cobra vehicles that suddenly showed up for more than they retailed for originally. Today, they had the TIE Bomber in the garden center (it hadn't been there last time I was there, on Christmas Eve), and had finally restocked the Transformers Deluxe figures.... with the same crappy figures that are clogging shelves. The Christmas rush of parents who don't give a crap if it has the brand name on it was their only chance to get rid of those g*****n Skidses and Mudflaps, and they waited until afterwards. Anyone who knows better can go next door to Ross and get the stupid things. Crap in a hat.

I'm also slightly concerned about Jazz--not yet to the point where I'm going to beg folks to look for him. I've just seen the RTS wave or remnants thereof five or six times, and not seen Jazz once. Actually, I take that back; I saw it at K-Mart for their laughable prices before Christmas, where they were sold out of Tracks, for a change.

Tycho
01-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Chux, the Awe Striker vehicle that turns into a robot - is that a Transformer toy or did this German site post a GI Joe toy?

Thanks for the info on the Insecticon train. If those become toys, I'd prefer them to be less kibble. The bots look like they turn into a train and I can only imagine the insects look like they are a train. Only ants run on a straight track (sometimes).

Megatron's packaging is legit I'm sure.

Darth Metalmute
01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm also slightly concerned about Jazz--not yet to the point where I'm going to beg folks to look for him. I've just seen the RTS wave or remnants thereof five or six times, and not seen Jazz once. Actually, I take that back; I saw it at K-Mart for their laughable prices before Christmas, where they were sold out of Tracks, for a change.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but try a Kohls if you have one. My local Kohls gets Star Wars and Transformers figures in much faster than my Target, TRU, or Walmart, if those other stores gets them at all. I picked up WFC Soundwave, Thrust, Red Alert, Jazz, and Tracks at Kohls.

The big problem with Kohls is that their prices are super high. However, they have so many crazy sales there that it usually brings the price down to TRU level.

El Chuxter
01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
One of my sightings of everyone in the wave but Jazz was at Kohl's. :(

Tycho
01-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Chux, the Awe Striker vehicle that turns into a robot - is that a Transformer toy or did this German site post a GI Joe toy?

Let me repeat myself, in purple.

El Chuxter
01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
I dunno. Transformers have been known to mix in a few Joe vehicles from time to time (they even had a Transformer version of the Snow Cat called, creatively enough, Snow Cat), so it's most likely a Human Alliance toy of some sort. Unless they're actually planning a crossover line, which I don't consider likely.

Chaddymac
01-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I dunno. Transformers have been known to mix in a few Joe vehicles from time to time (they even had a Transformer version of the Snow Cat called, creatively enough, Snow Cat), so it's most likely a Human Alliance toy of some sort. Unless they're actually planning a crossover line, which I don't consider likely.
Yeah, I think it's a TF3 HA figure. Beachcomber?

JediTricks
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I was talking about the 3rd and 4th Tracks pics, but I like you're idea with 1 and 2. That's clever!Thanks. The square shape is what I really wanted to get out of it more than anything, I think that's what's so cool about the original's jet mode.

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

I did some searching. Fortunately, I can read German.

They are making a LEADER CLASS IRONHIDE for DOTM!

I have pictures of both the Voyager and Leader Class toys for Megatron! (some posted below)

There are new Insecticons being made. The first 3 G1's and they will transform from robot to bug and COMBINE into a train engine (like Astrotrain). I have pictures and will post them shortly. I think I get to put up 5 at a time.

I have first chosen to post HUMAN ALLIANCE HOUND. Well it sure looks like Hound versus any other 'bot we've seen in the films. It appears he'll come with Major Lennox (in the photo below).

I have DOTM packaging images, too. Let's see what I get up...Those are both photos of Voyager-class Megatron, no Leader-class included. You can gauge scale on the rattan strings holding the figure in, and the level ranking of 2 (that's a level of complexity for transformation). If that site is calling it Leader-class, then they are not to be trusted. The packaging back is pretty blank too, that's weird. The figure itself is pretty blocky and monotone and not impressive IMO.

I don't believe there will be a leader-class Ironhide, especially with that misclaim of Megs one above being LC, coupled with a new voyager-class Ironhide was just shown off.

For Insecticons, you have art from Guido Guidi, the artist on the Hearts of Steel comic book, of which no action figures have ever been made, and this is clearly concept art for the comic, not a toy. Here's more of the same concept art: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Hearts_of_Steel_1ri.jpg
Foreign sources are often like this, mixing hopes into 'real news'.

Hound is an AWE Striker now, and comes with Duke? :DHaw! Too funny. I don't like the looks of that HA fig Tycho included, it's small and it's a belly-dragger in alt mode. It certainly wouldn't live up to Hound's credibility, it's more like a minibot.

Chux, the Awe Striker vehicle that turns into a robot - is that a Transformer toy or did this German site post a GI Joe toy?It's not a GI Joe toy.

Thanks for the info on the Insecticon train. If those become toys, I'd prefer them to be less kibble. The bots look like they turn into a train and I can only imagine the insects look like they are a train. Only ants run on a straight track (sometimes).There is no chance that Hearts of Steel Insecticons image will become a toy, that's art for the comic.

Megatron's packaging is legit I'm sure.Yes. It's ugly packaging and sloppy and pointlessly curved, so it's definitely Hasbro. :p

Chaddymac
01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
For Insecticons, you have art from Guido Guidi, the artist on the Hearts of Steel comic book, of which no action figures have ever been made, and this is clearly concept art for the comic, not a toy. Here's more of the same concept art: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Hearts_of_Steel_1ri.jpg
Foreign sources are often like this, mixing hopes into 'real news'.
Actually, I think Mastermind Creations IS working on the Insecticons. They already cast Prime (aka Knight Morpher) in plastic, and I think Tycho stumbled upon their announcement from earlier this week about Shockwave and the Insecticons.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MMC10000&mode=retail

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/mastermind-creations-hearts-of-steel-km-03-cyclops--km-04-assassin-squad-images-171176/

Tycho
01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
For TF3, Shockwave is probably (underwhelmingly) a security truck (armored car? SWAT Van? of some sort. Uncreatively, the alternate form mimics his rank and function in the Decepticon army.

Meanwhile, Beachcomber HA? I'm not sure we need that. I might buy this if only I will need to use the vehicle as a human operated machine in a diorama. I've not heard that Beachcomber is in the TF3 cast at all. Not that I dislike him. He's always been cool.

JediTricks: I'd welcome and all-new mold to a Voyager Ironhide. Previous Voyager offerings of him (well the old mold) really disappointed, as the chest did not hold together and he was too loose. That's why I was so excited to scale down and grab the Deluxe. If this Ironhide is cool and lives up to my expectations, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

If Silverbolt is in the movie, he is actually the ideal candidate for a Leader Class Autobot (other than Prime - who most of us have at least 2 versions of already).

DARN IT! It does not look like a big helicopter Decepticon is in the 3rd movie so I can finally get a Leader Class Blackout / Grindor - something that should have been made a long time ago!

NEW UPDATE: DOTM Megatron vs. Optimus Prime video! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z2Hm11fqwc&feature=player_embedded)

These are the Voyager toys. I am disappointed that Megatron looks considerably smaller than Prime, especially in Alt mode. You'd think he might be a larger Decepticon truck?

Cool video. I love the use of the old Hasbro music! Makes me want to watch my G1 DVDs

El Chuxter
01-04-2011, 11:17 PM
If Beachcomber is in TF3, he will be mentally impaired, super-violent, and somehow based on an Arabic stereotype. He will also likely be gay and try to hump Sam's leg a few times.

Hey, just going by the awesome respect they showed for Skids and Wheelie.

Chaddymac
01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
If Beachcomber is in TF3, he will be mentally impaired, super-violent, and somehow based on an Arabic stereotype. He will also likely be gay and try to hump Sam's leg a few times.

Hey, just going by the awesome respect they showed for Skids and Wheelie.
Well, Wheelie? I kinda think they improved on the G1 version. :)

El Chuxter
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
It was a lateral move. :) I just meant he showed no resemblance to the original at all.

Skids, though, were he real, would drop his whole pacifist shtick to beat the crap out of Michael Bay.

Chaddymac
01-05-2011, 05:08 PM
It was a lateral move. :) I just meant he showed no resemblance to the original at all.

Skids, though, were he real, would drop his whole pacifist shtick to beat the crap out of Michael Bay.
Were that possible. If only that were possible.

JediTricks
01-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Actually, I think Mastermind Creations IS working on the Insecticons. They already cast Prime (aka Knight Morpher) in plastic, and I think Tycho stumbled upon their announcement from earlier this week about Shockwave and the Insecticons.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MMC10000&mode=retail

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/mastermind-creations-hearts-of-steel-km-03-cyclops--km-04-assassin-squad-images-171176/
Yes, you're right, there are customs, but they're not official products, Guidi's art wasn't meant for toy designs, and those figures won't be readily available to the casual consumer, and they won't be priced like a regular set.

Meanwhile, Beachcomber HA? I'm not sure we need that. I might buy this if only I will need to use the vehicle as a human operated machine in a diorama. I've not heard that Beachcomber is in the TF3 cast at all. Not that I dislike him. He's always been cool.It doesn't look like that toy is actually from a movie product (the small size and belly-dragging don't suggest any real-world vehicle that they'd use in these films). I'd guess they're branching off HA into "offscreen" characters and vehicles at a lower pricepoint.

El Chuxter
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Saw Jazz, once again at K-Mart. Still not willing to pay their prices for him, since the wave still hasn't shown up widely around here.

figrin bran
01-12-2011, 11:25 PM
I picked up the Rodimus/Galvatron 2 pack from Walmart the other day. Have not gotten around to opening it up yet though.

DarkArtist
01-18-2011, 08:09 AM
I picked up the Rodimus/Galvatron 2 pack from Walmart the other day. Have not gotten around to opening it up yet though.

pikced up the same pack yesterday in Target but I thought it was Rodimus vs Cyclonus? anyway awesome pack...very easy to transform both roots and the inclusion of a metal (yes metal) Matrix of Leadership is awesome...the only down side to the set is that the Matrix doesn't fit anywhere on Rodimus or Cyclonus and therefore is sorta useless...

Tycho
01-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I saw the Rodimus / Cyclonus pack at Target this morning. I was tempted for a few seconds there.

Ultimately, I turned it down.

I think I'd love it were Cyclonus either Voyager or Leader Class, next to "Hot Rod's" Deluxe Class. I think that woul be more accurate.

However, you can pretend Hot Rod is already Rodimus Prime (in robot mode - they pretty much look alike) and it would make for a good pack.

Maybe I'll buy that the next time around?

Hmmm. Maybe I'll go back to Target right now and see if it's still on the shelf...

Then I could add Kup and Blurr (Blurr should be Scout Class to keep it all in scale then) - and the Masterpiece Grimlock would fit with this group - as could the Osprey version of Springer - I think - isn't he a Voyager figure?

Is there a Voyager figure of Galvatron? What size is Scourge? Voyager would work...

Nah - see how much I'm spending now....??? $$$$$! Too much probably.

Hmmm - but it's not THAT much. I can go pick up Rodimus / Cyclonus and return them in 90 days, too...

Chaddymac
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I saw the Rodimus / Cyclonus pack at Target this morning. I was tempted for a few seconds there.

Ultimately, I turned it down.

I think I'd love it were Cyclonus either Voyager or Leader Class, next to "Hot Rod's" Deluxe Class. I think that woul be more accurate.

However, you can pretend Hot Rod is already Rodimus Prime (in robot mode - they pretty much look alike) and it would make for a good pack.

Maybe I'll buy that the next time around?

Hmmm. Maybe I'll go back to Target right now and see if it's still on the shelf...

Then I could add Kup and Blurr (Blurr should be Scout Class to keep it all in scale then) - and the Masterpiece Grimlock would fit with this group - as could the Osprey version of Springer - I think - isn't he a Voyager figure?

Is there a Voyager figure of Galvatron? What size is Scourge? Voyager would work...

Nah - see how much I'm spending now....??? $$$$$! Too much probably.

Hmmm - but it's not THAT much. I can go pick up Rodimus / Cyclonus and return them in 90 days, too...
Galvatron and Scourge are both deluxe. And Galvatron bites the big one, IMHO.

JediTricks
01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Hasbro is giving us the opportunity to ask 1 question of the TF: Prime production teams. We must submit our question by Friday. What should we ask?

Chaddymac
01-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Hasbro is giving us the opportunity to ask 1 question of the TF: Prime production teams. We must submit our question by Friday. What should we ask?
Since TF: Prime (which has mentioned Unicron by name) has been positioned as a follow up to the WFC game series storyline (which shows Optimus receiving the Matrix of Leadership from some consciousness at the core of Cybertron), our curiosity is piqued: will the TF: Prime series explore the mythology and origins of our robot heroes and villains?

JediTricks
01-18-2011, 06:28 PM
"...Or are they leaving that to other materials like WFC and Exodus?" Is that basically what you mean, or are you being more general about it?

Chaddymac
01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
"...Or are they leaving that to other materials like WFC and Exodus?" Is that basically what you mean, or are you being more general about it?
I want to know if it'll be covered in TF: Prime - they may not be able to comment on Exodus or WFC (either because they don't have permission, or because they aren't privy to it). But you can re-word it if you think you might get more info out of them. Mostly, I just thought it was worth suggesting as a question to ask.

El Chuxter
01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
We could ask how exactly they're in the same universe when even I, with my limited knowledge, can see a few huge discrepancies.

Chaddymac
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
We could ask how exactly they're in the same universe when even I, with my limited knowledge, can see a few huge discrepancies.
Like the fact that Megatron had already infused himself with Dark Energon in the game? And the power that Dark Energon has? Just to name a few.

I don't care too terribly much. Nothing will ever be as good as BEAST WARS and I've accepted that.

JediTricks
01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
The TF:P question is due soon, I'm going to mail it in in the next 10 hours or so. Any additional feedback would be helpful.

I want to know if it'll be covered in TF: Prime - they may not be able to comment on Exodus or WFC (either because they don't have permission, or because they aren't privy to it). But you can re-word it if you think you might get more info out of them. Mostly, I just thought it was worth suggesting as a question to ask.Interesting point about them being hands-tied on WFC and Exodus. I'm so used to discussing such things with Hasbro, who are free to talk about them since they are the licensor, that I hadn't considered it. Still, I am under the impression that Prime is part of that canon and they should be able to directly work with and address that aspect. So, if I added a segment like the one below, would it be helping or hindering what you're getting at? Feel free to be honest.

Since TF: Prime (which has mentioned Unicron by name) has been positioned as a follow up to the War for Cybertron-canon storyline (which shows Optimus receiving the Matrix of Leadership from some consciousness at the core of Cybertron), our curiosity is piqued: will the TF: Prime series explore the mythology and origins of our robot heroes and villains? Is working within a newly-established canon that started with Exodus and War for Cybertron an additional challenge - even a hands-tying situation - where you have to either work in the "now" of your portion of the story or work more carefully within this new canon when telling stories that involve these characters' pasts?
Also, in doing a little research, it appears that previous convention and Q&A comments show that Prime will be carrying the weight of the new canon storytelling for both past and present, so we *could* draw assumptions that they'll be playing heavily in the past, but it could be that they only refer in a tertiary manner through dialogue and actions but never show.

We could ask how exactly they're in the same universe when even I, with my limited knowledge, can see a few huge discrepancies.I have no problem adding that, so long as you can cite examples.

Like the fact that Megatron had already infused himself with Dark Energon in the game? And the power that Dark Energon has? Just to name a few.

I don't care too terribly much. Nothing will ever be as good as BEAST WARS and I've accepted that.Good, but more would be better.

Chaddymac
01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm good with that - I'm not precious about it.

JediTricks
01-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for clarifying. I had a really hard time deciding between yours and Maradona's in the cartoon's thread, and I ultimately went with Maradona's question in part to answer a question a lot of fans on the fence want to know, and in part because I fear they'll just give an overly-easy answer to yours.

Tycho
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I got Deluxe Blurr today. I might return him.

I'm into scaling my Transformers collection. Blurr would best go with Masterpiece Rodimus Prime. I'm not sure I could justify buying that. I'm with OPTIMUS Prime all the way.

The other figures that could work with this would be Deluxe Kup (a bit smaller than I'd like for this group).

However, it would require Masterpiece or Leader Class Cyclonus and Sourge. How likely are they to be made? (sarcasm aside, it would be cool though - huh?)

Galvatron is a whole 'nother issue.

For a different scale, I'm also looking for the Rodimus / Cyclonus 2-pack.

Scale-wise, here's what I'm thinking:

Rodimus Deluxe
Cyclonus Deluxe

Kup Deluxe could go with these - he is a pickup truck, and like Ironhide, tends to be a larger bots than cars.

Scourge Deluxe would be a great addition to this group.

Masterpiece Grimlock might find a place with this set, too.

More Decepticons are needed.

Now my TRU has Deluxe Thrust and Dirge still. I'm not sure this "futuristic" collection needs (almost) every day type of Seeker jets though. Plus Ramjet might be only available as that BotCon figure, and thus very expensive to get.

Meanwhile, Blurr would be a Scout figure if he were sized correctly with this group.

I discussed Galvatron above, but the blue version of Skullgrin or Cybertronian Megatron might each work, just pretending they are Galvatron.

Probably the Deluxe "Dinobot" would work for Grimlock.

Though I've found Wreck-Gar (Deluxe), no figure of him but a Legends Class might be the right scale size.

Springer is another matter, too. I'd love a Voyager or Leader Class Osprey for him!!!

The Japanses Knock-off toy of Arcee that looks just like she did in the movie is the best version I've ever seen for this character.

As a matter of fact, I think there's a Japanese version of Blurr that's better than what I just bought, and I should return mine.

I have to check whether the Kup figure (that looks like a real pick-up truck) is the same in its American and Japanese versions.

These Japanese figures might be much better for me to purchase altogether.

And I still would need more Decepticons, not to mention a good Ultra Magnus - who is himself and not some kind of Optimus Prime repaint.

Chaddymac
01-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I had a really hard time deciding between yours and Maradona's in the cartoon's thread, and I ultimately went with Maradona's question in part to answer a question a lot of fans on the fence want to know, and in part because I fear they'll just give an overly-easy answer to yours.
What was Maradona's question?

Tycho
01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I've been on eBay and TFW2005 looking at all the pics of this 2nd generation of Autobots and Decepticons in their most recently updated form.

Then I look at my cool, realistic Transformers from the Bay movies, and my Alternators and select Masterpieces.

I don't think I really collect this cartoony TF stuff (like Hot Rod).

I think I just wanted something to buy.

Blurr might go back to the store.

Post if you want him. I think I have to clear my PM box and there isn't room for more messages at the moment.

Anyway, I also don't think any of the Cyclonus figures have been that great either. Am I dreaming, or is the 80's G1 Cyclonus the nicest one they've ever done? I think the 2-pack one I was considering is kind of kibbley or bulky at the least - and I have to wonder why they cannot streamline a purely fictional representation of a jet?

Meanwhile, the new Scourge coming out is an improvement over a hovercraft considering what the Sweeps need to be able to do (as spacecraft), but it's not that great either.

This whole thing probably got started because I really like what they're doing with Deluxe Kup (Sergeant Kup) that's coming out here shortly.

He could easily fit in with the Transformers types I already collect. Maybe I should return Blurr and just stick with that?

JediTricks
01-21-2011, 04:04 PM
What was Maradona's question?
- - Since the mini-series premiere of TF: Prime, fan reactions have been mixed to this latest series, and some were wondering... Will the tone of the show, the characters (both robot and human), the attempts at humor, the action, even the art be maturing as the series progresses, or is what we saw in the premiere pretty much the intended baseline level for the show?

Tycho, I want that Blurr figure.

Chaddymac
01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
- - Since the mini-series premiere of TF: Prime, fan reactions have been mixed to this latest series, and some were wondering... Will the tone of the show, the characters (both robot and human), the attempts at humor, the action, even the art be maturing as the series progresses, or is what we saw in the premiere pretty much the intended baseline level for the show?

Tycho, I want that Blurr figure.
Ah... That's less a question than it is a criticism. What do you say to that? "Thanks for telling us the show needs to be better. We'll take that under consideration"?

Chaddymac
01-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Ah... That's less a question than it is a criticism. What do you say to that? "Thanks for telling us the show needs to be better. We'll take that under consideration"?
Not that I'm being critical of you for making that choice. I'm just sensitive to it because I work in entertainment and if someone posed that question to me, I would read it as an insult hidden in a question.

JediTricks
01-21-2011, 04:33 PM
It is both a criticism and a question, and I have no problem with that after the fan reaction to this project. I wasn't kidding when I called it mixed, some fans seemed to dig it initially then hate it by the end, others didn't like it from the get-go, and a few seemed to like it more as it continued, but I think largely there was a sense of "what, really?!?" that I'd rather give the producers an opportunity to address while they can still keep those viewers around. I missed out on TF:Animated because of the underwhelming premiere, and yet they had planned massive growth for it and just hid it from the audience through style choices. Maybe TF:P could be doing something similar, or maybe it's just a quick moneygrab as I fear it looks to be, but either way I think fans would rather hear it now than follow it disappointedly or NOT follow it and miss out.

Chaddymac
01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
It is both a criticism and a question, and I have no problem with that after the fan reaction to this project. I wasn't kidding when I called it mixed, some fans seemed to dig it initially then hate it by the end, others didn't like it from the get-go, and a few seemed to like it more as it continued, but I think largely there was a sense of "what, really?!?" that I'd rather give the producers an opportunity to address while they can still keep those viewers around. I missed out on TF:Animated because of the underwhelming premiere, and yet they had planned massive growth for it and just hid it from the audience through style choices. Maybe TF:P could be doing something similar, or maybe it's just a quick moneygrab as I fear it looks to be, but either way I think fans would rather hear it now than follow it disappointedly or NOT follow it and miss out.
I see what you were trying to do. I think I read it with more of an accusatory tone where your intention was to give them a forum to tease their plans for the rest of the series. I hope they aren't turned off by it.

Tycho
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
JT, you can probably get the Blurr figure off me for cost and s&h of course.

However, please keep looking (and at HTS, too). It's cheaper to get it that way. I can always return the one I got, but I'll check with you first, before I do that.

I am still toying with the idea of keeping him myself but my decision keeps wavering.

I think I need to watch the 86 movie again, plus my 3rd season G1 DVDs (2nd Season was divided into 2 box sets, from the Insecticon / Triple Changer / Constructicon / Dinobot era).

Chaddymac
01-27-2011, 06:53 AM
I know there are some LA / SFV area folks in here. Anyone run across Wreck Gar, G2 Prime, RTS Bumblebee, Perceptor, Scourge, or Kup? Seems like they hit the Culver City Target, but not anywhere else in the area (at least from what I'm hearing).

Tycho
01-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Ooo! I'm going to try and go to Target today!

In San Diego, I've seen Wreck Gar, G2 Prime, RTS Bumblebee, and Perceptor. At Toys R Us, I believe.

Funny - I didn't want these but would have bought Scourge or Kup on sight if I'd seen them. But I didn't. :(

Darth Metalmute
01-27-2011, 05:35 PM
I went to my TRU to check if they got the newest transformers in today and unfortunately they did not. But what they did have, however, was the steal of the day. On a lower shelf in the back was none other than one Barricade Human Alliance figure. I took it to the register and it rang up at 11.98. After my Reward coupons, I paid 2.11 for it.

Funny thing about it was, it had a white, non-TRU price tag on it for 37.99. It's almost like someone returned it from K-mart.

clone157
01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
I went to my TRU to check if they got the newest transformers in today and unfortunately they did not. But what they did have, however, was the steal of the day. On a lower shelf in the back was none other than one Barricade Human Alliance figure. I took it to the register and it rang up at 11.98. After my Reward coupons, I paid 2.11 for it.

Funny thing about it was, it had a white, non-TRU price tag on it for 37.99. It's almost like someone returned it from K-mart.

I've seen that quite a bit myself recently. I know they were doing a "store within a store" concept in conjunction with Albertson's grocery stores. Since they went under, I thought it was just TRU getting their product back. Haven't found that good a deal yet, though.

DarkArtist
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
so I've been on a Transformers kick lately and have made a couple of purchases within the last 2 weeks.

Combiners Series Bombshock with Comboticons - love the new redesigned look of the combiner robot... it's no Bruticus but it's still way cool. Bombshock is a nice addition as well.

Scout Class Breacher and Oil Pan - again nice looking vehicles but Breacher is amazing as both a APC and a Robot. Oil Pan is okay is robo form but better in vehicle mode.

Generations Optimus Prime - not as hard to transform as Bumblebee was but a nice Prime to add to the Prime Shine. I'm thinking of investing in another so that I can display both in Vehicle mode as well as Robot Mode.

and I recently purchased a series of WST combiners... I got Devastator, Defensor, Bruticus, Menasor (combination of the stunticons and the technobots), Six-Liner, Six-Wing, Superion, Landcross, Six-Builder and Lion Kaser. they look really neat and they transform the same way as the orignal G1 versions did. they are a little larger then the WST scale but about 2 sizes smaller then the G1 versions. still they are a nice addition to the ever growing Transformers collection.

Chaddymac
01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
so I've been on a Transformers kick lately and have made a couple of purchases within the last 2 weeks.

Combiners Series Bombshock with Comboticons - love the new redesigned look of the combiner robot... it's no Bruticus but it's still way cool. Bombshock is a nice addition as well.

Scout Class Breacher and Oil Pan - again nice looking vehicles but Breacher is amazing as both a APC and a Robot. Oil Pan is okay is robo form but better in vehicle mode.

Generations Optimus Prime - not as hard to transform as Bumblebee was but a nice Prime to add to the Prime Shine. I'm thinking of investing in another so that I can display both in Vehicle mode as well as Robot Mode.

and I recently purchased a series of WST combiners... I got Devastator, Defensor, Bruticus, Menasor (combination of the stunticons and the technobots), Six-Liner, Six-Wing, Superion, Landcross, Six-Builder and Lion Kaser. they look really neat and they transform the same way as the orignal G1 versions did. they are a little larger then the WST scale but about 2 sizes smaller then the G1 versions. still they are a nice addition to the ever growing Transformers collection.
I've never heard of these WST combiners. Do you have any pics? Where did you get them?

DarkArtist
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I've never heard of these WST combiners. Do you have any pics? Where did you get them?

they are Japanese knockoffs of the Combiners series of Robots. they are okay and roughly in scale with the WST Transformers. I'll try to take some pics of them tonight and see if I can post them on the site.

the plastic on these is real cheap so the connectors some time break off. as such i already have to fix Menasor and Six-Wing.

also finally got around to transforming Skids and Mudflap as the Ice Cream Truck. it's a neat little set. I got one back over a year ago and didn't get a chance to sit down and check it out. finally took it off the shelf yesterday afternoon and decided to play around with it without using the directions.

Tycho
02-03-2011, 08:10 AM
I've been finding Perceptor (kind of really cool, but I don't need to buy him, I think) and Deluxe Optimus Prime, Wreck-Gar, re-pack of the classics BumbleBee Deluxe, etc.

Sergeant Kup - whom I'm after - does not appear to be shipping with them.

My intentions are to get a Deluxe Scourge (not out yet, right?)

The Masterpiece Rodimus Prime (not out in the US yet either, right?)

Search for an ideal Deluxe or Voyager Galvatron (any suggestions? Or wait?)

And look to Japanese knock-offs for specialty Voyager Springer, Deluxe Arcee, and Leader or Masterpiece Ultra Magnus (that completely transforms and doesn't just add armor like the less than stellar one we got in the 80's).

I'd also love LC or MP sized Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Sourge, too. Hope we'll see those.

Damned stupid Generation 1.5 got me hooked into 2 scales even. I am so weak...

El Chuxter
02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Saw Wreck-Gar at two different Targets today. One each. One Target had two of the movie-styled Bumblebees (why, God, why?), and the other had the G2 update Prime (again, why, God, why, though at least I can see some appeal with this one). No sign at either store (or any other store) of the first wave.

Still haven't seen Jazz at normal retail. Since it's been about two months since I saw him the first time, I'm worried.

Of course, "normal retail" has gone from $9-10 to $12 in that time, so I figure I'll go to the K-Mart, where I'm sure one is still languishing at $13, and it's not such a dramatic markup. :)

figrin bran
02-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I've not found Jazz nor Tracks nor the most recently released waves at retail. I saw scouts on clearance at Target though and got Crankstart for $7.55.

El Chuxter
02-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I finally got Jazz at K-Mart. The Deluxe figures were marked as on sale for $10.99. Not sure if this is an unadvertised special for this week or a price drop. I'll crack him and Wreck-Gar open tomorrow and post some thoughts on them.

Tycho
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
They had Jazz, Wreck-Gar, Percepter, the first ever Tracks I've seen, amongst others at Target this morning. I bought a Deluxe Optimus and I'm going to track down a Deluxe BoneCrusher from the first movie for him to fight.

There was no sign of Sergeant Kup, whom I really want, though.

El Chuxter
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Opening these two at the same time is a bit of a mixed bag.

Jazz is a massive disappointment. He seems like not a lot of effort went into designing him. Visually, he looks more like a character from Animated, with the more basic color scheme. Transformation is simple, and suffers greatly when there's nowhere to lock the upper body in place. The speaker gimmick is weak and looks pretty awful in both robot and car modes (at least the way they picture it; I found a different configuration for robot mode that doesn't look too bad). The instructions say the speakers are interchangeable and show him holding one as a gun, but I'll be damned if I could figure it out.

Wreck-Gar is the opposite end of the spectrum. The figure is bloody awesome, and the only drawback I can see is the attachment on the back side of his battle axe.

Trouble is, Jazz should've been among the first waves of Classics way back when, and is long overdue. He's always been one of the most beloved and important characters in the line, and for them to botch him this badly, especially when they could've simply retooled the feet on the excellent Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen mold... especially since that's how they more or less how they did it 27 years ago! Wreck-Gar, to be relatively minor and to feel like he's only being made now because several other movie figures have come out or are due soon, really shines.

I'd say that, if you're only buying one, get Wreck-Gar. Of course, if you're buying any Transformers at all, then chances are good that you simply like Jazz more as a character.

JediTricks
02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Opening these two at the same time is a bit of a mixed bag.

Jazz is a massive disappointment. He seems like not a lot of effort went into designing him. Visually, he looks more like a character from Animated, with the more basic color scheme. Transformation is simple, and suffers greatly when there's nowhere to lock the upper body in place. The speaker gimmick is weak and looks pretty awful in both robot and car modes (at least the way they picture it; I found a different configuration for robot mode that doesn't look too bad). The instructions say the speakers are interchangeable and show him holding one as a gun, but I'll be damned if I could figure it out.Jazz's transformation isn't especially simple IMO, it's based on the original transformation but the lower legs rotating around gives it something to do IMO.

The speakers clip onto the barrel of the gun, that's what you were seeing.

JediTricks
02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Our question for the TF Prime production has been answered, by none other than Duane Capizzi (The Batman, Jackie Chan Adventures, Big Guy & Rusty, Darkwing Duck, MIB the cartoon, and more)...

http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/214-Transformers-Prime-Cartoon-Producers-Q-A

This would have been posted sooner, but there was a mixup in sending us the wrong answer initially, luckily it was caught and quickly corrected.

JediTricks
02-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Picked up Blurr and Perceptor last night at Target.

Blurr is pretty good, but the head isn't very Blurr to me, and the Drift body doesn't have quite enough motion to feel like the fast, nimble Blurr character. Still, on its own, it's a cool figure.

Perceptor... well, a mixed bag with several points of annoyance and even failure. I'll detail below:

- I don't care that this is under the mainline badge and RTS gimmick, it's clearly a Generations figure.

Vehicle mode:
- Halftrack truck with lightbar on top.
- Front end doesn't quite align with main body.
- Red is dominant, some detailing keeps it from looking cheap, though it could use a little more here since it's vast expanses of red.
- Rolling is fair, but bot shoulders stick out the bottom of the front bumper and drag on ground.

Transformation:
- Instructions spend a third of the time explaining something that isn't possible at that stage since the wheels cannot pass the hinge; and that section is really is just "rotate strut around, rotate wheel in".
- Instructions explain but confuse about the lower legs.
- Something ugly about this transformation even before the atrocious backpack/shoulder problem, the lower legs come together with the kibble so oddly.
- Aforementioned backpack problem is vague, doesn't lock down when correct due to design missteps.
- Back to vehicle mode is frustrating the first time, the feet are easy to forget to leave out of the way.

Bot mode:
- Looks a lot like Reflector. Deco, sculpt, cheesy chrome bits, shoulder cannon, robot proportions, it's quite G1.
- Face sculpt based on G1 cartoon, but this is longer and thus looks cheaper, a bit like a older doofus.
- Eyes are painted yellow which is STUPID AS HELL since they're set deep in the head and already were lightpiped yellow plastic, so the paint actually covers up the color of his eyes by being thick and deep in shadow!
- Kibble backpack also houses shoulders on struts, backpack is supposed to lock into strut on head and into a tab in the back, but the tab doesn't hold so any rotation of the arms can easily dislodge the entire backpack and shoulder assembly, which is a huge problem on this figure.
- I don't like "floating" shoulders either, although these at least are in the right place.
- Chrome and clear chest opens to show the detail inside and access the rubsign, but the rubsign sits on a section smaller than its shape, so it's essentially a loose sticker that bends when you use it.
- Lightbar turns into shoulder cannon that reminds one of the microscope on the original. A nifty touch, and they added a flip-up targeting reticle.
- Shoulder cannon is on a hinge designed specifically to move, yet in no mode can this work, it always bumps into something. It seems like an idea to use the chest-tray and the cannon to fudge the microscope mode of the original character, but got abandoned partway through.
- Legs telescope quite a bit, thighs are very thin to make working knees, but telescoping causes a little floppiness so care is needed to pose the knee joint.
- Hands are sculpted open but meant to hold 5mm pegs. This figure seems like it needs a gun for those hands. The right arm can bend up to support the shoulder cannon, but that cannon is permanently attached so that's all he can do.

Bottom line:
- Some interesting ideas but feels half-baked.
- Very slaved to the G1 character, almost to the point of overkill in the deco.
- Has some personality despite unlikeable head.
- Suffers from extremely problematic engineering issues when posing legs and especially arms.
- I kinda like this figure despite flaws, but hard to enjoy and impossible to recommend without many caveats.

El Chuxter
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Wonder if they'll re-use it for Reflector, as they've been kinda keen on doing that lately.

It also seems they incorporated bits of the (kind of stupid) "Perceptor as heartless sniper" from the post-AHM IDW comics.

El Chuxter
02-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hasbro unveiled nothing at Toy Fair for guys like me who dig the classic stuff, right?

JediTricks
02-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Wonder if they'll re-use it for Reflector, as they've been kinda keen on doing that lately.

It also seems they incorporated bits of the (kind of stupid) "Perceptor as heartless sniper" from the post-AHM IDW comics.Yes, they are planning a reuse as Reflector. And you're not the first to suggest the IDW sniper angle, so I guess that's right too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hasbro unveiled nothing at Toy Fair for guys like me who dig the classic stuff, right?Correct. They had a pretty mediocre unveiling, IMO.

El Chuxter
02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
I'll soon know about Perceptor. I just found him (and finally caved on Laser Optimus as well--he was one of the few G2 figures I had, and was quite an improvement over the original sculpt back in the day).

Funny thing, I've been seeing Wreck-Gar, Laser Prime, and the occasional Cliffjumper and Bumblebee 47 at just about every Target. But never a Perceptor. I went into the one in Hemet, where I don't go very often anymore, and they almost had more Perceptors than all other characters combined! No kidding; six Perceptors out of fifteen figures total. They also had Soundwave; IIRC, this is only the second time I've seen him.

Still waiting to open them both. Chux Jr likes to "help" me with my Joes and especially with my Transformers, and I'm sort of dangling these over her head to get her to behave. :D

Tycho
02-15-2011, 01:40 AM
I want Sergeant Kup to ship!

I got (I assume - I haven't opened it yet) Deluxe Bonecrusher from 2007 in the mail today (he's to fight the new Deluxe Optimus Prime).

I won the 3-pack of Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Rodimus off eBay and I think I'll be returning the Cyclonus / Rodimus 2pack version if they're the same thing.

Can't wait for Scourge as well - and to see if I win Voyager (or Deluxe?) Springer from a few years back. Helicopter only - he's not a triple-changer in this version.

El Chuxter
02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Methinks I like Perceptor more than you do, JT. He's not perfect, but a far cry better than Jazz. I'm not sure what the instructions were getting at with the window panels on his lower legs, but he looks like the pictures. :D

Laser Prime is pretty sweet, too. I'd forgotten that the "flames on the cab" originated long before Michael Bay peed on adapted the characters for his embarrassingly bad student movie series.

figrin bran
02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
I finally have Jazz and Tracks. A friend found them for me and mailed them. Retail has been pretty bleak for finds lately...

Darth Metalmute
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Anyone want the Hot Rod vs Cyclonus set, but isn't interested in the comic book? I'd like to get the comic, which is an "off-camera" scene from the 1986 movie pitting the two against one another, but have no interest in getting the figures again.

Still interested in the Comic?

Chaddymac
02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Our question for the TF Prime production has been answered, by none other than Duane Capizzi (The Batman, Jackie Chan Adventures, Big Guy & Rusty, Darkwing Duck, MIB the cartoon, and more)...

http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/214-Transformers-Prime-Cartoon-Producers-Q-A

This would have been posted sooner, but there was a mixup in sending us the wrong answer initially, luckily it was caught and quickly corrected.How do you feel about the answer, JT?

El Chuxter
02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Still interested in the Comic?
If you've got one you don't want, I very well might be. :)

JediTricks
02-25-2011, 03:42 PM
How do you feel about the answer, JT?
Honestly? I think it's way off-base, the thing about "antics" is all that Miko is, she's 100% antics and in the pilot miniseries she drove it forward several times. Bottom line though, their answer let us know in no uncertain terms that they think it's fine and it's going to stay the way it is, so fans like myself can avoid watching it without feeling like we might be missing out. What did you think?

With Target selling PCC 5packs for $10, I bought Double Clutch knowing it was a POS, and even though it lives up to the shame and is actually even WORSE, for the price I paid it has a few small redeeming features. But man, it is terrible in combiner mode and not even that good in robot mode, and the drones are problematic as well.

A buddy talked me into picking up Laser Prime, the alt mode's junky coloring had kept me away previously, along with the weird head, but it's a really good transform and a very good bot. The head isn't as bad in person, it's got light-piping and seems a little manga-esque, but it kinda works here, matches the light-piping in the shoulders and biceps. I had to trim down a tab on the right shoulder though, seems totally pointless there anyway.

Chaddymac
02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Honestly? I think it's way off-base, the thing about "antics" is all that Miko is, she's 100% antics and in the pilot miniseries she drove it forward several times. Bottom line though, their answer let us know in no uncertain terms that they think it's fine and it's going to stay the way it is, so fans like myself can avoid watching it without feeling like we might be missing out. What did you think?I thought it was the only answer they could give. I'll still watch because it's just entertaining enough to remind me it's not the Unicron Trilogy and I should be thankful. I also know enough about the TV process to recognize that just spending time in the world will lend itself to greater depth and better writing. And seeing as how this is harmless as it is, better would be icing for me.

Tycho
02-25-2011, 05:27 PM
I have obtained some Transformers as of late.

Today I found Scourge at TRU to go with my eBay purchase of Rodimus, Galvatron, and Cyclonus in a 3-pack, and the Voyager Springer figure (non-triple-changer). This will make a great display. I think I am done. I'm not sure there are any other figures that can go with this scale, though maybe City Commander Ultra Magnus if I can afford him - though he might better belong with my other just-found? Masterpiece Grimlock is a possibility here, too. I don't own Grimlock but passed on him many times. Hmmmm.

Today I also found Sergeant Kup! Finally! (at TRU at the same time) This looks like an excellent figure. He will go with Blurr (Deluxe) and the Masterpiece Rodimus Prime, which I may wait for a US version to purchase at a better price. These figures lack Decepticons to pose with them. I wonder about my chances of Hasbro producing a Leader Class Cyclonus, Sourge, or Galvatron - or the same for a Takara-Tomy Maserpiece. (The latter might happen because they made Rodimus - however, for Galvatron, I'd want something better looking than his G-1 cannon toy being reproduced. Cyclonus was always the coolest looking!)

Darth Metalmute
02-28-2011, 07:36 AM
If you've got one you don't want, I very well might be. :)

It's yours. Send me a PM and I'll get it off to you.

JediTricks
03-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Still looking for Wreck-Gar, Kup, and Scourge. I had Kup in my HasbroToyShop cart a few minutes ago, but after a browser crash, they now say it's sold out. So very frustrating.

Yesterday, my mom took me out for a day off of my troubles, and we hit Target where I picked up PCC Leadfoot. Another PCC mediocrity, but kind of a laff, and no major problems for once.

figrin bran
03-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I found Wreck Gar at Target yesterday. Picked up the deluxe Optimus from TRU on Saturday as well.

Slowly but surely, I'm starting to make finds once again.

DarkArtist
03-02-2011, 08:30 AM
won a mint condition 1987 Throttlebot Goldbug from ebay the other day for $10.00 with shipping. he arrived yesterday and looks great. he'll make a nice addition to the collection.

still waiting on my WST's from ebay, hopefully they will be here by the end of the week or early next week. Still have yet to have a chance to post some pics, hoping to get a chance this Sunday at least to snap off a couple of pics and then hopefully next week I'll be able to post them

El Chuxter
03-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Found Kup and Scourge at TRU today. They were $12.99, but I've decided that paying an extra dollar for items I really want and think are worth the price is the way to go, given the incredibly shoddy distribution of all three Hasbro lines I collect lately. (Though coupled with the price hikes, it's made me more selective on which Star Wars and background/resculpt Joes I get.)

Won't be able to open them for a few days, though.

figrin bran
03-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Perceptor is now mine as I found one at Target this morning. I ordered Kup and Scourge from HTS yesterday so I guess I'm caught up for the time being.

El Chuxter
03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Aren't Thundercracker, Grapple, and Wheeljack out, with Warpath soon to follow?

How tough would it be to get a Target exclusive Revenge of the Fallen Shadow Striker? I didn't see too many on eBay, and have no interest in the Bumblebee. However, I opened Kup this morning and watched the movie with my daughter this afternoon, and, well, if Hasbro isn't going to re-release Wheelie, I might just have to buy one and paint it myself. Shadow Striker looks to be considerably cheaper, even getting the full set, than getting Wheelie. It's just, like I said, I have no interest in the Bumblebee and don't want to give it to my kids, since that might make them question my telling them that the live-action movies are bad. (I'm more concerned with them watching movies with gratuitous nut shots, leg humping, and masturbation jokes than anything else, no matter how much I hate those movies.)

Kup, by the way, is one of the nicest Transformers figures I've seen. Some minor kibble issues, but the fact that he can be posed in a variety of positions and remain balanced is a major plus. I can just imagine him telling my Classics Optimus Prime that, at his age, he feels like a piece of ****. (Look it up on YouTube if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

I just have no clue who the repaint head could be. Gears, maybe? Trailbreaker? The mold could actually work for Arcee, but the head in the instructions is definitely not her.

Tycho
03-14-2011, 02:56 AM
OK. I need:

Ultra Magnus - a good, poseable figure - probably that darn City Commander custom kit figure. I guess he's to scale with Deluxe Kup and Blurr? (Maybe)

If there is another, smaller Ultra Magnus, he can go with my Deluxe Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Rodimus figures.

Rodimus Prime - masterpiece, to go with the above figures.

Cyclonus, Galvatron, Scourge (Leader Class or Masterpiece) - un-maid, unannounced, as of yet.

These are my most-wanted Transformers.

Along with Leader Class Blackout.

I will be buying the Leader Class Ironhide. I think he will be on scale with a Human Alliance Jazz. Maybe I'll buy an extra Human Alliance Barricade for them to fight?

Darth Metalmute
03-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I can just imagine him telling my Classics Optimus Prime that, at his age, he feels like a piece of ****.

That is a great clip. "From now on, you will be piece of **** "

figrin bran
03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Kup arrived from HTS today.

I've seen listings on HTS for Thundercracker and Wheeljack but they're "out of stock" so I'm not sure if they were ever in stock in the first place or if they're there just as placeholders on the page.

JediTricks
03-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Placeholders, as with Windcharger.

I got Kup from HTS yesterday, and my RTS Lugnut from the same order just shipped right now.

Kup is an oddity, the vehicle mode is nice but way lacking in paint to highlight its sculpt. It's not much of a throwback to the G1 alt mode, but it's got charm. Transformation is a tad odd and can be frustrating, especially back to alt mode when the spring-loaded chest elements don't cooperate. Bot mode is nice but the face is a really odd expression, the limbs aren't as thick as Kup's should be, and the shoulders are a mess. Still, some good stuff here, and the base deco is a great nostalgic color.

happy
04-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I have not seen any new Tranformers in any of the major retailers since January. We have plenty of Revenge of the Fallen crap, but I would really like to finish out my Generations.

I have found nothing new since I stumbled across Jazz and Tracks at Kohl's by accident.

Does anyone know what the deal is?

El Chuxter
04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
A large part of the problem is that the "Reveal the Shield" figures share an assortment number (?) with the same Revenge of the Fallen garbage that's been rotting for well over a year. What retailer is going to order new stuff when stuff with the same stock number didn't sell?

They also seem to have put quite a bit more faith in their War For Cybertron figures than actually panned out. I've seen some of the newer figures, but, mostly, it's WFC Prime, WFC Bumblebee, WFC Megatron, and WFC Cliffjumper. (Soundwave seems to sell better, probably because they never released a "normal" Soundwave.) Then there are figures that most folks aren't familiar with (Straxxus/Darkmount, Skullgrin, and Thunderwing--I love 'em all, but they weren't exactly released at the height of TF popularity back in the day), and that bizarre "Classics Bumblebee with movie paint scheme." That Bumblebee, the more obscure figures, and the WFC figures are the vast majority of what I see. (Of the newer figures, G2 Laser Prime appears to be poised to move into that territory if they ever ship enough of him.)

JediTricks
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I still haven't found Wreck-Gar, Thundercracker, Scourge, Wheeljack, and now one of the other sites is reporting that the basic assortment, already released in Canada, Windcharger and Rumble, have been canceled in the US due to the big retailers not ordering. Hasbro got too ahead of the market in '10 with Movie/RTS, Generations, PCC, the kiddie lines, and Legends and Basics fighting for space on pegs. Now we're left with a disastrous mess.

I received RTS Lugnut from Hasbrotoyshop last week. It's an interesting figure, at first it's like "wtf?!?" because it's mistransformed and parts are floppy, but correctly transformed it's not too floppy (the shoulders dislodge a little too easily) and pretty interesting. Bot mode is pretty beefy, a tad kibbly behind the head and on the back, but fairly decent otherwise. The articulation is an oddball, but works with some thought, and the fact that the arms are made out of the wings is most impressive. Unfortunately, the singular weapon is the lamest, most tacked-on piece of junk ever, just a crappy missile-launcher flipping out of his back, nowhere near as good as the battle mace of the Animated figure. This non-animated version doesn't have giant bombs for hands, instead he has 2 large flat fingers and a large thumb on large forearms which spring forward to punch of kill everything (the instructions and packaging are totally ignorant of this, they think it's for transformation :rolleyes: ). Oh, and oddly, this figure suffers basically the same problem with the chest-window-split as the original, only here it's rubbery so it's a little more annoying. Transformation is interesting. Alt mode is ok, but exceptionally wide at the wings with lots of detail, while the body ends up a tad sloppy on the lower midsection. Still, a nifty figure, and it grows on you over time.

El Chuxter
04-12-2011, 02:35 PM
If I can't get Rumble, I will be very perturbed. Possibly perturbed enough to say, "Eh, I don't have a full set, so why bother actively hunting any others?" I'm serious. I'm sure a number of other folks feel the same way. Hasbro runs a pretty significant risk here. Making Wheelie, Warpath, and Cosmos nigh unavailable is one thing. Simply not releasing Rumble in America could lead to riots in the streets. I exaggerate, but not by much. They probably could've gotten away with not releasing Windcharger, but Rumble is a different story. I hope he winds up here somehow. I don't know if they do the "online shared exclusive" thing, but the aforemetioned Legends in a set with these Scouts would be a possibility that might actually excite people.

Forgot to mention a while back, but, thanks to Metalmute, I have the Rodimus vs Cyclonus comic. It's definitely a Furman story, with all that means, and fits nicely within the framework of the 1986 movie. The only weird thing is that characters are drawn with their 2011 character models (except Magnus, for some reason). I can understand why they did it, but it still seems weird to have a cut scene with totally different-looking characters.

Darth Metalmute
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Has anyone seen any New prime episodes lately? I set it up to tape them all but haven't seen one in weeks.

figrin bran
04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I just ordered Thundercracker and Wheeljack from HTS. I didn't want to risk not ever seeing them at retail!

JediTricks
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Has anyone seen any New prime episodes lately? I set it up to tape them all but haven't seen one in weeks.
If you're taping it with a VCR, then you need to change it to the new Saturday timeslot. If you're DVRing it, I cannot imagine why it's not there, an ep aired last Saturday and another is coming this saturday. Before the April 9th ep, the last ep was March 11th.

I just ordered Thundercracker and Wheeljack from HTS. I didn't want to risk not ever seeing them at retail!Gah! Why does this come up NOW when I'm at my brokest?!? Oh well, I scraped it together like a chump, with DISC10 I got it down to $14.76 per figure (I also ordered Scourge), that's a bit of peace of mind in the "never finding them" department (of course, there's still the "defective Hasbro product" department to get through). Now to track down Wreck-Gar and then continue grousing about Rumble and Windcharger.

Darth Metalmute
04-15-2011, 10:34 PM
If you're taping it with a VCR, then you need to change it to the new Saturday timeslot. If you're DVRing it, I cannot imagine why it's not there, an ep aired last Saturday and another is coming this saturday. Before the April 9th ep, the last ep was March 11th.

Thanks. I was DVR'ing it but it appears that the machine has cancelled taping all episodes. Not removing it from my series, but deciding not to record it. I hate Buckeye Cablesystem.

JediTricks
04-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Trusting computers is a dangerous game. Still, I can't imagine going back to doing it the way we did with VCRs.

You guys voting in the Transformers.com hall of fame voting? I know we didn't get our prelim level votes in, but it's currently between Jazz, Grimlock, Waspinator, Shockwave, and... Erector, a gag vote based on name alone. It's one vote per person per day for the next week.

El Chuxter
04-16-2011, 12:42 PM
The fact that Grimlock didn't make it in last year tells me the "Hall of Fame" is irrelevant. Sorta like Black Sabbath not getting into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for years, despite essentially inventing heavy metal.

AFCollector
04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
You guys voting in the Transformers.com hall of fame voting? I know we didn't get our prelim level votes in, but it's currently between Jazz, Grimlock, Waspinator, Shockwave, and... Erector, a gag vote based on name alone. It's one vote per person per day for the next week.

Yeah I was very disappointed in the appearance of "Erector" (whoever the hell that is) and the response he got from the fanbase. I made sure to vote for Grimlock, though Jazz and Shockwave both would be great additions. Most of my fellow Transfans also tossed in a vote for the King, though a couple held out for Shockwave. :)

El Chuxter
04-16-2011, 11:43 PM
I went to two Targets today, and one had Reveal the Shield Deluxe figures on clearance. No joke. I'm guessing that they wanted to clear out the old ROTF crap, and this was an unexpected side effect of them sharing the same SKU. They only had Bumblebee and Perceptor, and they were only $8.38 (or thereabouts). But, still....

happy
04-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I finally found Kup and Scourge at Walmart over the weekend. $12!!!

figrin bran
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
I went to two Targets today, and one had Reveal the Shield Deluxe figures on clearance. No joke. I'm guessing that they wanted to clear out the old ROTF crap, and this was an unexpected side effect of them sharing the same SKU. They only had Bumblebee and Perceptor, and they were only $8.38 (or thereabouts). But, still....

I saw Movie/Hunt for the Decepticons TF's on clearance at my local Target. No Reveal the Shield but only because they haven't restocked in months. I picked up Voyager Pay Load for $14.98.

JediTricks
04-22-2011, 01:38 AM
That sucks, what will happen to figures after Warpath?

Also, I need mega help finding Wreck-Gar, that figure is just not appearing around here, and HTS won't restock him.

I'm quite mad at Hasbro for the mess that the TF brand finds itself in right now.

Chaddymac
04-22-2011, 08:40 AM
That sucks, what will happen to figures after Warpath?

Also, I need mega help finding Wreck-Gar, that figure is just not appearing around here, and HTS won't restock him.

I'm quite mad at Hasbro for the mess that the TF brand finds itself in right now.

I bought the Windcharger wave from the Fan Club. I don't want any of the other basics, but this may be my only shot at getting him. I'm heartbroken.

I'll keep an eye out for Wreck-Gar. I've stumbled onto him once or twice.

If they decide to cancel Rumble and Frenzy, like they did thhe Animated voyagers, I'll be very disappointed.

AFCollector
04-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm in a similar mindset JT, Hasbro has done a wonderful job of ensuring my money stays in it's account this past few months, simply due to them not releasing their product in a manner which enables me to purchase it. I refuse to pay gouged prices for $8 figures on ebay or purchase ENTIRE WAVES of figures I do not want in order to get hold of one. I don't even mind paying HTS's ridiculous S&H fees on the rare occasion they HAVE the figures I want, but that's a blue moon kind of thing recently.

It's the same with the Star Wars figures too, I just can't find the ones I want, and refuse to purchase whole waves or pay $30 for a figure that should be on the shelf.

TheDarthVader
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a Wreck-Gar. But I will only trade for a wheeljack.

JediTricks
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I bought the Windcharger wave from the Fan Club. I don't want any of the other basics, but this may be my only shot at getting him. I'm heartbroken.

I'll keep an eye out for Wreck-Gar. I've stumbled onto him once or twice.

If they decide to cancel Rumble and Frenzy, like they did thhe Animated voyagers, I'll be very disappointed.The fan club had Windcharger? I had no idea! Did you actually get him yet? Isn't Rumble in that wave, or were they trying to stretch it out, another wave with only 1 new mold and the rest is repaints nobody is buying the originals of?

BTW, Frenzy was not planned for US release, as far as I know.

I'm in a similar mindset JT, Hasbro has done a wonderful job of ensuring my money stays in it's account this past few months, simply due to them not releasing their product in a manner which enables me to purchase it. I refuse to pay gouged prices for $8 figures on ebay or purchase ENTIRE WAVES of figures I do not want in order to get hold of one. I don't even mind paying HTS's ridiculous S&H fees on the rare occasion they HAVE the figures I want, but that's a blue moon kind of thing recently.

It's the same with the Star Wars figures too, I just can't find the ones I want, and refuse to purchase whole waves or pay $30 for a figure that should be on the shelf.Agreed, although Star Wars is a slightly different problem, the line isn't being mismanaged except by raising prices beyond what the market will bear. With Transformers, it's running 3, 4, even 5 lines at a time on pegs when the second movie - the line's current foundation - underperformed at merchandising for 2 years, and putting out massive amounts of existing product as repaints to keep the SKU from being dropped while they stretch new molds wafer-thin across the release windows. And the thing with cases that retailers don't order so fans have to, that's unacceptable, there should be a lot more consideration for fans AND for protecting investments in tooling.

I have a Wreck-Gar. But I will only trade for a wheeljack.Thanks, but I don't have Wheeljack right now. I think Tycho said he should be able to get one for me, but I'll keep an eye out for Wheeljack just in case.

El Chuxter
04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I've seen Wreck-Gar a few times, and will keep an eye out for him. If all the local Targets are clearancing RTS figures like the one was, though, that might be tough.

AFCollector
04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
The Collector's Club store has the WAVE up for pre-order ( http://www.transformersclub.com/shop/index.cfm?do=list (http://www.transformersclub.com/shop/index.cfm?do=list) ) but nothing in stock at the moment. This again is the "buying a wave for 1 item" thing that's really startin to **** me off.

I got an email today from an online shop that advertises these "rare" figures, again, in their respective 'waves', for $15 and UP for each figure. Pretty ridiculous.

(http://www.transformersclub.com/shop/index.cfm?do=detail&productid=2381)

Chaddymac
04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
The fan club had Windcharger? I had no idea! Did you actually get him yet? Isn't Rumble in that wave, or were they trying to stretch it out, another wave with only 1 new mold and the rest is repaints nobody is buying the originals of?

BTW, Frenzy was not planned for US release, as far as I know.

They just posted the case and no, no Rumble is in it. And I know Frenzy was never mentioned, but I think we all (reasonably) assumed that a repaint of Rumble would eventually show up. I've got my pitchfork and rope ready for Botcon...

El Chuxter
04-23-2011, 12:42 PM
If nothing else, they need to get through their heads that the "retro" Transformers and GIJoe lines appeal entirely to adults, and cater to us in those lines. There are too many figures that either aren't getting released, or are released in such small numbers.

Chaddymac
04-23-2011, 12:56 PM
If nothing else, they need to get through their heads that the "retro" Transformers and GIJoe lines appeal entirely to adults, and cater to us in those lines. There are too many figures that either aren't getting released, or are released in such small numbers.

What would be your suggestion for how to solve the distribution problem for what we can all admit is a largely collector targeted market? Pushing for online distro? That's actually part of how I justified buying the case from the fan club. If they hard pushed the online distro, it would probably mean figures like Windcharger would have to run close to fan club exclusive prices, if not more because they are original molds. With that in mind, $50 isn't really too much to spend, especially when I'm getting figures in exchange. Maybe I'll keep some of them; Maybe I'll sell some at a loss.

I think there were just too many new figures in too short a time. And it hurts me to say that, because I love every one of them. Except Bumblebee. Why we needed another him, I don't know. I would have preferred a Cliffjumper with an officially remolded head.

El Chuxter
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm referring to their weird philosophy that they have to push "core characters." It's a bit more noticeable with the Joes, where they have crap-tons of Arctic Destros everywhere, because adults are burnt the heck out with Destro and Duke. But insisting on so heavily pushing the WFC Prime and Bumblebee, as well as that weird b*****d movie/Classics Bumblebee repaint, there'd be more space for stuff that moves better. They should probably also consider that a character like Darkmount, who was a comics-only character with two whole issues in this country, or one like Thunderwing, who was a pice of carp toy who rose to prominence very late in the comic book series, probably won't sell as much as, say, Jazz.

Chaddymac
04-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Fair criticism. Still, I'm not sure what the solution is. Pushing WFC Prime and Bumblebee were their best bets, since the figures were supported by the video game. I wish their gamble had paid off, because it would have meant greater support for the line in general. Unfortunately, I fear that the economic realities of our hobby mean we either prepare to pay way more than we want to for these figures, or we accept the next forms of entertainment as the future of the line. No more classics.

Dark, dark days ahead.

happy
04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
I went ahead and purchased a case from BBTS. Between my buddy and myself we needed every character in the case: Wheeljack, Thundercracker, and Warpath - 2 each & 1 of Kup & Scourge.

JediTricks
04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
The whole situation is disgusting, and a big turnoff to the collecting hobby. Right now, I'm in my new place with zero figures, and Hasbro is making it WAY too tempting to keep it that way. 1 new mold per case on basics is the very essence of mismanagement and greed, expecting US COLLECTORS to continue to float their mistakes!

El Chuxter
04-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Did they announce a resurrection of the TF Q&A as well, or is it still MIA, presumed dead?

Chaddymac
04-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Did they announce a resurrection of the TF Q&A as well, or is it still MIA, presumed dead?

I totally forgot about that. It's been so long since we got any answers. Heck, it's been a while since the Star Wars Q&A. Was it officially killed, or just suggested so?

JediTricks
04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Did they announce a resurrection of the TF Q&A as well, or is it still MIA, presumed dead?As far as I know, they haven't. I haven't gotten anything to my site, but Hasbro's PR people are still in contact about other TF matters. Steve hasn't said anything, and none of the big TF sites have either. So I think either it's being reworked or killed.

El Chuxter
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Too bad; this fiasco would be ripe for questioning.

Chaddymac
04-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Too bad; this fiasco would be ripe for questioning.

Perhaps that's not a coincidence.

AFCollector
04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking it's not. They are so dead-set on pushing these "movie toys" that they simply don't care about these RTS/Generations/Classics figures anymore, some of whom I heard about over a YEAR ago.

I'm not in the toy industry at all but I'd love to know why things are announced and it takes forever for us to get them, and THEN in incredibly limited quantities. It's almost enough to make me give up on this type of collecting altogether. Boycotting the movie toys doesn't help, since plenty of people are going to buy them so it just ends up being me going without.

JediTricks
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
For Hasbro not to use the movie popularity to push other product is unwise, but not unusual. Still, going from 4 lines at once to 1 is pretty goofy.

HTS delivered me some goodies, Thundercracker, Scourge, and Wheeljack.

Thundercracker is exactly what one would expect, and somehow anticlimactic after all the troubles. It's a fine figure, although clearly the mold has degraded to a point where another run would be in knock-off quality, but it's not special in its own, it's just another cool Seeker. It's also the first Seeker to use the original head transformation in years, I had forgotten how much more satisfying this is compared to the "rotate head" design on the coneheads. Anyway, it's Thundercracker and it's cool, and now we're done with this mold, it's time to look ahead and do away with the vestiges of the pre-movie Classics toolings with their inferior designs.

Scourge is pretty wild, a satisfying new alt mode that has one of the most unusual transformations ever in a deluxe (once you've got the hang of it, it feels more natural, but that first pass is a big question-mark the whole time). The end result is very faithful to the character, even the 2 guns that hide in the wings (which unfold and bend to be more like the character wings, but Hasbro instructions don't seem to know this) turning into a gun-only version of his G1 targetmaster. Well-articulated and well-detailed, the deco is simple but effective, right down to the silver-and-purple Decepticon logo on his chest looking like the classic sticker, but the white isn't actually character-accurate. The only drawback on the figure is the loose hips, a pretty common problem lately in TF figures. Ultimately, it's a satisfying figure on its own and a good throwback, everything a Classics should be.

Wheeljack is... well, just what the doctor ordered. Alt mode is terrific, the changes from Tracks make a nicely different car, just from a new color scheme and some spoilers it becomes much more Wheeljack. Flight mode still sucks and makes no sense here anyway, so it's easy to ignore. Transformation is mostly the same as Tracks, although the legs are quite different despite the instructions' confusion. Bot mode is Wheeljack all the way, just changing the legs makes him stockier, a little shorter, puts the wheels down the way the G1 figure had it, and it just comes together so nicely. The back isn't Jack, but that's ok since it's an homage, it still feels like its own man rather than just a Tracks repaint. The head is alright, it's not a standout but it's not a blob, though they went cheap with the lightpiped gray eyes and ears. The wrenches are nifty, each has 2 clip rails, 1 hinged clip, and can be stowed on the back of either lower leg. The gun is the same as Tracks, but that figure's gun was just Wheeljack's shoulder-mounted missile launcher anyway, so there ya go. The hips on Wheeljack are a bit loose, but unlike Tracks, the toes aren't this time, so it'll have a better time on the shelf not falling on the floor. There's just something that carries so much weight about this figure, so much personality. And it's a fun toy as well.

AFCollector
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I agree with you on all accounts JT, I'm baffled by their cutbacks completely.

I got these same figures with Kup from BBTS recently and ordered the Kup replacement head from iGear, which is pretty awesome for $12. Fits like a dream and makes him look SO much better than he did with the stock head.

I am happy I got Thundercracker to complete my 3 Seekers set. They just seemed lonely without their brother. :(

Scourge is one of the cooler transformations I've seen in awhile, and he looks great in either mode. Very clean, not alot of extra parts floppin about.

Tycho
04-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Huh! Very cool. I bought Scourge but never opened him yet. Sounds promising.

He's to go with my Galvatron, Cyclonus, Rodimus 3-pack, and the Voyager Springer that I added.

I'm not sure if the City Commander Ultra Magnus I want to budget for will look the best with these figures, or the Masterpiece Rodimus I plan to buy? (MP Rodimus goes with Deluxe Kup and Blurr)

AFCollector
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Well the MP Rodimus is HUGE compared to the Deluxe figures, he's roughly 10 inches with the Deluxe figures being about 6, I tried putting them together, but they just look rather silly, so instead I have Fansproject's Protector (their version of Rodimus Prime), standing with their Warbot (Springer), the CC Ultra Magnus and Kup together, and they look really good.

Chaddymac
04-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Well the MP Rodimus is HUGE compared to the Deluxe figures, he's roughly 10 inches with the Deluxe figures being about 6, I tried putting them together, but they just look rather silly, so instead I have Fansproject's Protector (their version of Rodimus Prime), standing with their Warbot (Springer), the CC Ultra Magnus and Kup together, and they look really good.

Add MP Grimlock and Classics Legends Wheelie and all that's missing is a new Arcee :)

AFCollector
04-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Well, I do have those actually, but as far as Arcee goes, I got ahold of the "Impossible Toys Valkyrie" which is basically G1 Arcee. I do not recommend it, it is pretty horrible. I am saving up for iGear's MGT-01 which reports say is far superior. It's not HasTak I know, but the only figure they seem interested in putting out of her is that damned bike.

Chaddymac
04-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Well, I do have those actually, but as far as Arcee goes, I got ahold of the "Impossible Toys Valkyrie" which is basically G1 Arcee. I do not recommend it, it is pretty horrible.
I actually bought that mold too and ended up returning it with a restocking fee. It was probably the most expensive piece of crap I'd ever held in my hands. Let me know if the iGear one is any better, but I'm still hopeful for a Classics version.

El Chuxter
04-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I know I was lucky to find one, but I'm pleased with displaying Animated Arcee with my Classics. The general aesthetic is different, sure, with softer lines, brighter colors, a cartoony face, and less detail, but it can easily be explained in my mind by saying girl Transformers look different from boy Transformers.

Truth is, she looks better displayed with the Classics than Octane Tankor does.

Tycho
04-29-2011, 03:24 PM
AF Collector, I'm alarmed by how big you say MP Rodimus is.

I haven't bought him yet, but I'm waiting to get the cheaper American version when it comes out. Now I've heard that it won't include the trailer part - which is fine. Rodimus' vehicle was dumb. A camper van with hot rod decales? Why not a garbage truck with racing stripes, next?

I won't be displaying him as a vehicle anyway. But isn't Rodimus Prime supposed to be bigger than Kup and Blurr, now that he's no longer Hot Rod?

Any you're saying that City Commander Ultra Magnus is scaled to the Deluxe Autobots (Kup and Blurr)? That will work.

There will be a new Masterpiece that everyone's quiet about. You think it'll be Cyclonus or Galvatron? I can only hope.

El Chuxter
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
There will be a new Masterpiece that everyone's quiet about. You think it'll be Cyclonus or Galvatron? I can only hope.
I'd heard he was a complete remold of Optimus Prime, smaller and with a human driver. And $300. I think I'll pass.

Chaddymac
04-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Tycho - Rodimus is tall, but the masterpiece scale is completely out of scale to the deluxe size class.

AFCollector
04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah. Here's some pictures to help give you an idea of size/scale.

CC Ultra Magnus uses the "White Prime" body to build around, much like the original G1 version did, you have a white Optimus Prime in the middle of all of that. (Or the actual one if you don't have UM laying about).

The new MP figure is indeed a smaller scaled Optimus with a trailer and some other extras. As he's been done before, and it was fine, I am going to pass on this one too. It's a mistake imo, but it's not up to me who they produce. Someone obviously said "We need another MP Prime!" and someone else listened. They just re-released the original MP Prime too. Boneheads.

Links to Pictures:
1. "Protector" Rodimus, Wheelie, Kup and Magnus
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/BrotherCaptainRivera/HNI_0012.jpg

2. Magnus and Kup
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/BrotherCaptainRivera/HNI_0013.jpg

3. "Protector" Rodimus, Wheelie, Kup
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/BrotherCaptainRivera/HNI_0014.jpg

4. Masterpiece Rodimus, Kup
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/BrotherCaptainRivera/HNI_0015.jpg

As you can see, the MP figures aren't really built to scale with any of the others, not even themselves really. The Deluxe Kup looks like a mini-bot next to the Masterpiece Rodimus, and he's in full Rodimus Prime mode there, which is a smidge taller than the Hot Rod transformation.

Sorry for the grainy pics, the only thing I have to take pictures with is a 3DS. ;x At least I didn't try and force 3D on you like SOME movie-makers. ;p

Tycho
04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for posting those pictures!

No. Thank you VERY VERY much!

I like that Protector Rodimus better, too. Good choice. Where did you get that? And how much is he? What is he? (A knock-off or real Hasbro product?)

The City Commander Ultra Magnus looks like a must-have! What's your opinion of him. Getting him together is awfully expensive. Will Hasbro ever make an Ultra Magnus this good and poseable?

The TF 3 movie trailer is up now, too. And it looks awesome! Lots of shooting and stuff blowing up with big robots fighting each other - exactly what I want!

Chaddymac
04-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting those pictures!

No. Thank you VERY VERY much!

I like that Protector Rodimus better, too. Good choice. Where did you get that? And how much is he? What is he? (A knock-off or real Hasbro product?)

The City Commander Ultra Magnus looks like a must-have! What's your opinion of him. Getting him together is awfully expensive. Will Hasbro ever make an Ultra Magnus this good and poseable?

The TF 3 movie trailer is up now, too. And it looks awesome! Lots of shooting and stuff blowing up with big robots fighting each other - exactly what I want!

Here's a link to the Protector trailer (the core robot is Classics Rodimus and is sold seperately): http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FPJ10016&mode=retail

It's made by the same people who made the City Commander armor set. And you are right - that set is hard to come by and resells at a high price, even without the core robot of Magnus, and he's even harder to find.

I don't see Hasbro doing this in the classics scale anytime soon. Magnus is still a popular character, and has appeared with unique molds in RID and Animated, but this is the most G1 Magnus I think we'll see for a while. Too bad it's a third party piece.

AFCollector
04-29-2011, 05:48 PM
The "Protector" Rodimus is from the same folks that made the CC Ultra Magnus, Fansproject. You can find it online, I got mine here: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FPJ10016&mode=retail For around $83~. His left-hand gun is part of the add-on kit (it's a targetmaster-esque figure, turns into a little robot), his right hand gun is "Blesser" which was an offer from Fansproject for the first 1500 people to donate to the Japanese Red Cross Tsunami effort, it's a recoloured version of the left-hand weapon.

Just like the CC Magnus, it requires a base figure to form around, it's just a suit of armour really. You attach the pieces to the Classics Rodimus, which you can get from the "Battle in Space" box with Cyclonus.

Magnus has some good poseability to him, his feet angle a bit to accomodate several stances. The base figure's joints are used for his legs, so pretty much any stance it can have, the CC figure can too. The arms are very poseable as well. Also, depending on which one you get (whether it has the add-on kit or not) there are multiple faceplates as well. The one in the picture has the add-on kit, the shoulder launchers and gun do not come with the plain stock version.

It's Hasbro's inability or refusal to make the figures I want that made me turn to these 3rd party figures. I do not believe they will make the figures we so desperately want, either they don't care, or some marketing guy keeps saying "No that won't sell" and someone listens. Obviously the sales of these 3rd party figures has gone well, since they tend to sell out pretty quickly.

ALSO: Be very wary of knock-offs of the CC Ultra Magnus set. I have seen one of these in person and there are some very significant differences in the materials and workmanship, very inferior in both areas. Fansproject's website: http://www.fansproject.com/ has a good guide on how to spot the knock-off. People charge as much or MORE for these poorly crafted items so be very careful.

Tycho
04-30-2011, 02:53 AM
My comic book shop offered me the japanese rodimus prime for 165 dollars because it has the box damaged- just a cut across the top. From your pics, I think it's too big for my figures. But this is a great price should I get it? Will they make a masterpiece cyclonus or galvatron that fits the scale?

AFCollector
04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
$30~ off for a cut on the box? Yeah that's not a bad deal. I'm not big on boxes, I rarely keep things packaged, so if it were me? I'd have gotten it. Paid full for mine. ;/ If you want it at all, cause it is a pretty awesome figure, then yeah, I'd pick it up. There's been no mention by Hasbro whether they intend on ever bringing us the rumoured "American Version" of him. They did eventually do it with Grimlock and the Seekers though, so it's possible I guess, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you want some better pictures of him to help you make up your mind: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/toys/Masterpiece/Rodimus+Convoy/

I've no idea if they'll do Cyclonus or Galvatron. They seem hell bent on redoing things they've already done. A fairly obvious choice for a new MP figure after Rodimus WOULD have been Galvatron...yet they chose to do another Optimus, so who knows what happens in those marketing meetings?

Chaddymac
04-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Hasbro hasn't elaborated on it lately, but they did officially confirm a TRU exclusive version of Rodimus coming to the US without his trailer.

AFCollector
05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
It's almost like they heard us :p

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/masterpiece-rodimus-convoy-second-release-in-september-172049/ (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/masterpiece-rodimus-convoy-second-release-in-september-172049/)

I haven't had any "issues" with mine, no weak joints or anything, but anything so intricate made of plastic and metal is bound to have issues from time to time I guess. From this article though, it does not sound to me like the "American Version", it just sounds like a re-issue of the Japanese one to me. Am I misreading?

Chaddymac
05-02-2011, 07:16 PM
It's almost like they heard us :p

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/masterpiece-rodimus-convoy-second-release-in-september-172049/ (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/masterpiece-rodimus-convoy-second-release-in-september-172049/)

I haven't had any "issues" with mine, no weak joints or anything, but anything so intricate made of plastic and metal is bound to have issues from time to time I guess. From this article though, it does not sound to me like the "American Version", it just sounds like a re-issue of the Japanese one to me. Am I misreading?

You are not, but it does make me hopeful that the American version will have the QC issues resolved.

JetsAndHeels
05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've posted.

I stopped by one of my local Targets today, gave the associate the dcpi for Sentinel Prime, and got one. They also had deluxes in the back, but said they were unable to sell those until the 16th. If you want a Sentinel Prime, it may be worth your while to go by Target and give them the dcpi. The number is 087-06-2294.

Tycho
05-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Jets and heels it's good to see you back. I've been trying to get in touch with you for a long time.

happy
05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I will be buying zero Dark of the Moon figures.

JetsAndHeels
05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Jets and heels it's good to see you back. I've been trying to get in touch with you for a long time.

Hey Josh. Hope you are doing well.

I'm getting married the 28th of this month, so things are moving at about a thousand miles per hour.

Staying on topic, Sentinel is a pretty good figure. He does have a few issues (mainly in alt mode), but overall I think he's worth picking up.

I won't be getting all the DOTM toys, but some are definate pickups for me, like deluxe Starscream, Voyager Shockwave, etc.

TheDarthVader
05-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I will be getting voyager shockwave too. And that is about it...Sentinel Prime and Shockwave.

Darth Metalmute
05-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Finally found Kup and Scourge. These two were on my "might pick-up" lists, but I ended up picking them both up. I was going to pass on Scourge but he was one of the TF's I had originally. He looks cheep in vehicle mode and you feel almost like you have to break him to transform him. His robot mode is decent but I probably shouldn't have let nostalgia make the decision to get him. Kup was also an original TF I had. Outside of the thick legs, he is a great figure. I have him displayed on my shelf at work.

JediTricks
05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Target Culver City had 3 DOTM Cyberverse-class figures (they're the ones between Legends and Basic) on pegs, the same Optimus Prime as the preview figure they had just clearanced out, Ironhide, and Sentinel Prime. Sentinel Prime looked pretty well-sculpted and painted, OP was the same as the preview which Hasbro ended up sending me last week, it's ok but not something that made me go "wow!", and Ironhide looked complex but a little weak in the sculpting department. I'm too broke to buy figs so I didn't even bother finding out if they'd sell them to me.

Still need help finding Wreck-Gar and Warpath, I really resent Hasbro for handling Transformers so poorly the last 7 months.

I'm getting married the 28th of this month, so things are moving at about a thousand miles per hour.Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

JetsAndHeels
05-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Still need help finding Wreck-Gar and Warpath, I really resent Hasbro for handling Transformers so poorly the last 7 months.

I was extremely lucky and was able to grab a Warpath off of HTS on the day they had him in stock for like 10 minutes. :rolleyes: Other than that, the only choice you may have is to go in with somebody and get the case off of BBTS or something.

I am also ticked at how Hasbro has treated the TF toys. I have given up on any hopes of getting a Windcharger for less than 50 bucks.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Thanks man!! It has been a busy few months preparing. I am ready though!!

AFCollector
05-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Other than that, the only choice you may have is to go in with somebody and get the case off of BBTS or something.

I am also ticked at how Hasbro has treated the TF toys. I have given up on any hopes of getting a Windcharger for less than 50 bucks.

And for that reason alone I decided I can live without these figures. Hasbro distributed them poorly, yes, but these people snapped them all up, these online "retailers" then sell these $12 figures for $20-30, well they can live with their purchases in my opinion. Let them sit and look at their unsold figures they wasted money on in hopes of doubling their investment. Do not support gouging.

I am saddened my collection will not be joined by these figures, but I will not pay 2 to 3 times more for a toy that should be available at my local store.

El Chuxter
05-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Tonight while visiting a Target, I realized: I'm here because my daughter wanted to stop by. I didn't care. I am no longer surprised to see absolutely no new Star Wars, Transformers, or GIJoe toys. Hasbro really risks losing me completely. And the Transformers, with product having been made but not shipping to the US, is in the most danger. I'm hoping some Generations and RTS product gets put out with the Bay Movie 3 toys, but am not holding my breath.

Tycho
05-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Best wishes to you jets and heels. I'm going to definitely buy a second kup. I will be displayed him as as vehicle and a robot. I'll have to get an extra classics hot rod because the masterpiece is too big. I'm going to buy some of the dark of the moon figures but not all of them. And I'm going to get to leader class iron heights. Sentinel prime interest me. But shockwave in vehicle mode does not. I'll probably by multiple megatron's.

Tycho
05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
My target with in stockton. I use the number chet and heels provided but they wouldn't stockton. The store harley has anything. The store hardly has anything. No new star wars and no new transformers.

Tycho
05-10-2011, 04:24 PM
My target with in stockton. I use the number chet and heels provided but they wouldn't stockton. The store harley has anything. The store hardly has anything. No new star wars and no new transformers.

Apparently, here's another one of my attempts to use voice-to-text from my Droid in a night club. I need to translate:

My Target wouldn't stock the figures. I used J&H's sku for Sentinel Prime and the guy went in the back and returned saying they had them, but they couldn't be put out before the street date next Monday.

My store was empty again, today.

ToysRUs.com has free shipping for orders over $100.

Some of these are pre-orders, but they'll ship a day ahead of the official release time.

I got:

Leader Sentinel Prime
Voyager Megatron
Deluxe Starscream
Deluxe Crankcase (Dread)
Deluxe Roadbuster
Deluxe Kup (from the earlier assortment - I want 2 of him and already had one)

Legends Size (there's a new name for 'em (Cyberverse or something - and they're slightly bigger than Legends, too) - Sentinel Prime, Megatron, Ironhide.

They make Bumblebee, SideSwipe, and some of the Wreckers and Crankcase, too - I think. But I want to see them in the stores to judge their scale.

I really want to get the Human Alliance Roadbuster!!! HTS is out of stock right now.

They have to make Decepticons that interact on the HA scale!

JetsAndHeels
05-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, Josh. :)

Yesterday I scored a couple of the HA Basics...Icepick and Sandstorm.

Today after work I am going to try to find a deluxe Starscream. Some folks in my area have mentioned seeing him around.

JetsAndHeels
05-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Wow, no posts about the DOTM launch date yesterday?

Here's the rundown on what I got so far:

Deluxes-Starscream, Bumblebee, Crankcase, Jolt, Barricade, Sideswipe, Roadbuster, Topspin, Ratchet

Voyagers-Prime, Megatron, Ironhide, Shockwave, Skyhammer

Leader: Sentinel Prime (got him on May 2nd)

Cybertech Scouts: Megatron, Powerglide, Blackout, Sentinel Prime

HA Basics: all of wave 1

HA Regular: Bumblebee with Sam

I said earlier I wasn't going to get much. Yeah, I totally blew that. :)

Chaddymac
05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
The only figure I'm interested in is Scout Powerglide and maybe the new regular size HA figure molds. How is Powerglide?

JetsAndHeels
05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
How is Powerglide?

He's a cool figure. Fits in good with the classics line.

The weapons are a big plus. They transform and integrate in both modes. I originally wanted him for the classics-feel to him, but the weapons are now my favorite aspect of him. Armed to the teeth, no joke.

One gripe, but it isn't too much to take away my enjoyment of him....PG has landing gear, but the back half of the alt mode is too heavy so it can't sit flat on them.

I say if you find him, buy him. You'll be glad you did.

El Chuxter
05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Did the stores restock any Generations/Reveal the Shield stuff? It'll come as no surprise that I couldn't care less about the movie stuff.

JetsAndHeels
05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
They didn't here, Chux. Of course that doesn't mean other areas didn't.

happy
05-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Maybe no one is posting about DOTM finds because no one is looking for the crap.

Darth Metalmute
05-19-2011, 07:42 AM
They did not have any Generations/Reveal the Shield stuff at my Target Chux either. Going to check out the others today.

Honestly, the area for DOTM was small and already picked over which I found surprising.

EDIT: Just got back from TRU.... It's official my TRU is a joke. They dedicated half an isle to Transformers yet on 2 pegs width to the new movie. Everything else is overstock from previous waves. And by previous waves, I mean mid 2010.

I did pick up Scout? Blackout. He looked pretty cool. Transformations a pain, but not a bad figure.

figrin bran
05-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I bought a few DOTM toys today

Deluxe Starscream
Cyberverse Sentinel, Ironhide, Blackout, Powerglide, Megatron

Tycho
05-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I really want:

HA Roadbuster
Leader Ironhide (has anyone found either of these yet?)

I have not seen:

Scout (Cyberverse?) Powerglide or Blackout - but want them, too!

Deluxe Top Spin - didn't even know he was out. I have a Cyberverse Top Spin. Do they make a CV Roadbuster?

Haven't gotten all I ordered from TRU.com yet, also. So more stuff is coming in the mail I guess.

JetsAndHeels
05-20-2011, 11:04 AM
HA Roadbuster and Leader Ironhide aren't at retail, but I know HA Roadbuster had made an appearance on HTS.

As far as cyberverse (legends) Roadbuster, it is forthcoming.

Tycho
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I just got deluxe topspin today he looks great. Have people open their new figures yet? What do you think?

JetsAndHeels
05-20-2011, 01:57 PM
So far I have opened:

Deluxes-Roadbuster (I like him), Starscream (I love him), Barricade (I like him), Crankcase (not really good, but I may have gotten a dud since the joints are loose).

Voyagers-Optimus (not bad), Megatron (I like him), Shockwave (Love this guy!!)

Cyberverse Commanders-Blackout (awesome), Powerglide (pretty nifty)

Battle Droid
05-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Got DOTM Deluxe Crankcase today, and someone clipped his middle fingers.:upset:

AFCollector
05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
That's actually a common problem and most likely a running change in the toy itself. Some figures are shipping with the clipped fingers and some w/out. There's a few posts on some of the Transformer's boards that go into better detail about it.

Tho let's be honest, that finger was way too freakin long to begin with.

I would almost bet that it was done by an employee that wasn't paying attention when the toy pieces are removed from their sprues or something, and got through so many of them it was deemed unprofitable to dispose of them and they were used anyway.

Darth Metalmute
05-20-2011, 09:17 PM
So far I have opened: Shockwave (Love this guy!!)

Haven't seen this one yet. Had been to several different stores and all they have is prime, Ironhide, and Megatron.

Haven't seen Commanders (Scout?) powerglide yet either.

figrin bran
05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I just got deluxe topspin today he looks great. Have people open their new figures yet? What do you think?

I've opened up

Deluxe Starscream - outstanding!

Cyberverse commander class Sentinel, Ironhide, Megatron, Powerglide, Blackout - to be honest, I like all of them with Powerglide and Blackout being the best, imho.

Darth Metalmute
05-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Finally found Powerglide today, 200 miles south of my house. I will be kicking myself for not picking it up but it was either that or a birthday present for my daughter.

Tycho
05-23-2011, 07:15 PM
I found Laserbeak (deluxe) today. While I don't like the alt mode's look, I love the G1 bird reference.

I also found the Deluxe Bumblebee with all the weapon effects on him. I swore I wouldn't be buying a lot of Bumblebee products this time around. Yeah. That worked. There's also a NASCAR version of him that I might pick up, too. *groan*

I don't know if I posted it, but I got the Cyberverse commander class Blackout and love him too, Chux. I haven't run across Powerglide that I know of - or maybe I bought him the other day. Can't remember. I've gotten so busy that it's hard to remember these things now.

AFCollector
05-26-2011, 09:59 AM
I managed to sell off my Impossible Toys "Arcee" and use that money to purchase iGear's go at it, and let me say, VASTLY. SUPERIOR.

The plastic feels sturdier, the transformation is tighter and holds together even when posing it, not to mention that it comes with a stand, though she doesn't need it to stand on her own, unlike the Impossible Toys version which wouldn't stand up to save her life. Her weapons aren't chintzy little plastic blobs, she comes with stickers for decoration and the instructions are actually clearly taken photographs of the toy being transformed.

I am glad I got rid of the other one and got this instead. Pictures and further reviews can be found at http://shop.igeartoys.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

Chaddymac
05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
How does she look with your CHUG figures? Is the diecast a good addition or is it obtrusive? I was so utterly disappointed in the Impossible Toys version, and the iGear version is so expensive, I just don't want to get burned again.

AFCollector
05-26-2011, 04:57 PM
She's sitting on the shelf with my Warbot (Springer), Kup (with iGear head) and Blurr and she looks great. Same height and everything. Transformed she's a bit shorter than Blurr but still looks like she's supposed to. The die-cast parts are completely invisible. They're merely the knee joints and chest piece so you can't really even tell they're there. My only complaint, and it's a non-issue, is that there's no instructions on where to put the stickers. I figured some of them out by the shape, but the rest I haven't a clue. There's also a nice large indention on her vehicle mode hood for the insertion of a rub-sign or (as I did) a regular Autobot insignia.

I have her on her stand now, but as I said, doesn't even require it, she can stand on her own just fine, unlike the IT version which couldn't if her life depended on it. If you're on the fence about it, I'd say make the jump. She's totally worth the purchase.

JediTricks
05-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Movie line figures are on sale at WM, deluxes are $10, Voyagers are $18.50, and Leaders are $42.

Stupid movie line has now crowded out ever finding Wreck-Gar or Warpath, although the previous pegwarming Generations waves seem to keep hitting for some reason. And the movie line looks TERRIBLE, nearly every figure looks small and chintzy and overwhelmed by an action gimmick weapon. I've had a hard time finding ANY interest, the first day it came out I looked at everything while on my way to an errand, and nothing caught my eye.

Since then, I've slowly bought a few pieces, cautiously after lots of research. First it was Backfire & Spike, I had seen a ton of pics of the other little Human Alliance basic sets and they looked dead awful, but this one looked ok. And it is, the instructions don't seem to know what's going on in weapon mode (like how the figure sits UNDER the now-moved engine block, or how the front wheel splays), but the rest is decent with good paint and a big orange cannon for weapon mode and lots of detail.

Next it was Skyhammer, and this figure is excellent. Fantastic detailing, not a bayverse aspect anywhere, an incredible transformation, possibly the best helicopter TF I've ever owned. His colors work really well, he has almost no kibble, good articulation, and the rotors-as-chest is very clever. The weapon is a bit obnoxious, but not as bad as some I've seen in this line, but the blade not locking is stupid, so I just bypassed that and figured out a way to lock the blade (use a tool like a flat-head screwdriver to stop the rack gear, then manually engage the blade, it'll use friction to hold at the end). His styling is almost Gundam with the small waist and tall legs, but he's got plenty of his own style. The instructions, while necessary due to the complexity of the transformation, are also at times baffling and have things out of order, and use a prototype that doesn't quite match, and tries to suggest something but just implies removing the rotor instead which is impossible since it's riveted on. Oh, and his rocket pods are positionable and removable, a nice touch, even though they look great behind his back.

Today it was Dlx Starscream based on the comments I read in this thread. It's not a bad figure, but it's a bit small, and the chest ends up quite gappy. The bayverse digitigrade legs certainly make him stumpy, but the fact that they got so much design accuracy into this deluxe is impressive none the less. I also like his weapons, which was unexpected.

All in all though, these are the only figures tempting me right now. I am looking for leader Ironhide, and wee Powerglide, but that's about it. I'm still not sure of 'roid-abusing Shockwave.

El Chuxter
05-27-2011, 08:28 AM
So, just to keep a running tally, the Classics/Universe/Generations figures we'll never see (or see in insanely small numbers) due to shoddy distribution, not even counting weirdness like the HTS exclusive Overkill (that looks nothing like Overkill) are:

Wheelie
Warpath 1 (Legends)
Rodimus 2 (Legends)
Cosmos
Wheeljack
Thundercracker
Warpath 2 (Deluxe)
Grapple
Rumble
Windcharger
Wreck-Gar (I'm still looking for you, JT, but have actually seen more Kups lately)

And that's not counting the inevitable, semi-confirmed repaints, like Frenzy and the Junkion stooge.

Really, that's a pretty sizable chunk of basically unavailable figures. That's big enough proportionally to make one give up on classic Transformers, or Transformers altogether if they don't collect movie stuff.

I really wonder if Hasbro thinks about this when packing cases with Skullgrin. Or even Thunderwing. I love both characters, but they're hardly remembered as widely and fondly as Wheeljack.

And they definitely have some sort of grudge against poor ol' Warpath.

AFCollector
05-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Well the first 4 were released quite some time ago (if we're talking about the same legends class figures that is). I picked them all up with the legends Cliffjumper from BBTS in like 2008. HasTak seems to like limiting the production of these things after awhile, creating a false "limited edition" feel to them. This applies with all their toy lines lately. They'll crank out a wave, distribute it willy-nilly and you might see the items, but you probably won't.

Wheeljack and Thundercracker are slowly trickling into the stores. I've read reports of people picking them up periodically in stores. Same with Warpath, but on an incredibly miniscule scale.

I have no hopes of seeing Windcharger or Rumble ever, or Warpath for that matter, and I agree with you. It's a minor thing in life really, not being able to purchase a toy for a collection, but as a collector, it's frustrating that this company is limiting the release of these items as they are. Hell, I remember seeing pictures for Windcharger 2 years ago. I have no idea how long it takes to produce and distribute toys, but...why tease us with pictures 2 years before telling us: "Oh hey, we're not actually LETTING you purchase him. Sorry! ::snicker::" They did the same thing with the Transformers:Animated Rodimus/Ironhide figures. I have magazines with pictures of them from 2008, and we didn't get him until 2010. I guess I'd have to have a talk with someone in the industry to fully understand it all, but from a consumer standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to me.

The movie stuff is unfortunately pushing out the stuff the classic collectors want, and to make it worse, plenty of classic collectors buy the movie toys, giving Hasbro the impression that we ALL want them. The only way to get them to realise that there are 2 camps here, is for the sales of the movie toys to decline to a standstill by collectors. (It'll obviously never cease completely, I don't expect a child to be deprived of a toy they want.) This will never happen though, because someone will always "step over the line" as it were, thinking "this one purchase won't hurt anything". I'm keeping my money in my wallet, not even purchasing Star Wars or Marvel figures. It's my 1-man protest, not that it'll impact anything, but I can say I tried.

Darth Metalmute
05-27-2011, 12:25 PM
I finally found Thundercracker, yesterday. Unfortunately, it came a day after I got sick of the hunt for him and purchased one on ebay. No other figures from that wave were on the rack.

Finally opened up Powerglide. Great figure, but having a problem keeping his nose down in vehicle mode.

Chaddymac
05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Finally opened up Powerglide. Great figure, but having a problem keeping his nose down in vehicle mode.

Me either. I just pull the landing gear all the way back.

I wish he had a more classics head sculpt, which could turn, and his hips weren't so far apart, but he's pretty cool. I would ask to have the G1 wing transformation, which is my favorite aspect of the toy, but I'm trying not to be greedy.

On second thought, Dear Santa...

figrin bran
05-31-2011, 12:47 AM
I picked up Thundercracker and Skyhammer recently. To me, Skyhammer is hands down the best helicopter TF I own. And like an idiot, I tried following the directions and attempted to pull off the rotor. ;)

Tycho
06-01-2011, 02:28 AM
I bought Skyhammer, but haven't opened him yet.

I doubt he's in the movie, but maybe I'll want him for my display as a human-helicopter anyway?

I might want to consider removing the Autobot emblems.

Tough situation to be in for a guy who loves Blackout.

Anyway, Kup is still shipping to stores, so some of the later figures like Warpath and Wreck-Gar that you all have been looking for, could still turn up.

I got Cyberverse Powerglid and opened him up. Great figure and cool transformation!

I also got Human Alliance Roadbuster (2 of 'em) from Wal-Mart. I haven't opened one yet, but I'm really excited about this one! He looks great and there's a lot of detail on the NASCAR!

JediTricks
06-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Skyhammer is likely going to be the best figure in the line, he's that good. I am so tired, spammer posting inappropriate material keeping me from sleeping, making me delete, why did I have to check one last time?!? Anyway, Skyhammer is very good. The head is very "hero" though, doubt you can ever get him to look Decepticon, a repaint with a new head will probably come from Hasbro. But as a human helo, well, he's not an American design, I think he's based loosely on the Russian Hind helicopter, not sure where that could fit in.

I picked up Powerglide, very nifty, combined gun sucks but the rest is good. The landing gear is really odd, I had it working fine earlier, just barely keeping the nose down, then I adjusted his arm to see if it was a 3mm rail-system clip (it is) and now his thighs touch the ground instead of the wheels, which DEFINITELY keeps the nose down, but IMO isn't right.

I picked up Megatron today, a surprisingly decent figure, a few things in the figure that aren't in the instructions (the vehicle mode lets the trailer rotate if you keep the wheels from folding in, and the fusion cannon's claw mode can be locked in place by rotating the ladder), but unfortunately, the very confusing instructions back to alt mode ended up causing me to break the tiny Mack Truck bulldog right off the nose. I'm going to try to get WM to replace it, but I foresee forgetting that step again in a few years and off ol' doggy will come. That part of the transformation is downright ugly, getting the grille and bumper and arms to line up or spread apart, which is too bad because everything else on this transform is fun and clever. His coloring does suck though, super bland, and he's pretty small for a Voyager, but I'd recommend him.

I came into this thread to warn you guys about being careful on the Mack hood ornament and rambled on. Just like the old days!

JediTricks
06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Here's the photos from yesterday's trip to Botcon: http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6139-transformers-botcon-2011.html

I took notes at the Saturday Hasbro panel, will try to have them up tomorrow since I'm going back today for more convention fun.

Not a lot of reveals this time, and zero really big stuff, nothing Tycho was looking forward too.

Generations is continuing through the year.

Chaddymac
06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Here's the photos from yesterday's trip to Botcon: http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6139-transformers-botcon-2011.html

I took notes at the Saturday Hasbro panel, will try to have them up tomorrow since I'm going back today for more convention fun.

Not a lot of reveals this time, and zero really big stuff, nothing Tycho was looking forward too.

Generations is continuing through the year.

I thought the Unicron reveal was a pretty big deal. And the fact that Generations is continuing. And the Prime figures looked amazing, IMHO. But yeah - they teased another Arcee and I just want them to show her to me.

Also, I was impressed with Masterpiece Rodimus. Looks better in person than in pictures.

Darth Metalmute
06-06-2011, 07:41 AM
What exactly makes the new unicron a "masterpiece" edition? Looks like the same on that came out with armada with a new paint scheme.

Does the Masterpiece Hot Rod actually convert to Rodimus Prime? Truck and all?

Chaddymac
06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
It also has a new head sculpt to be more movie accurate. Maybe it's not fair to call it Masterpiece, but I found the head sculpt and deco to be the only real complaints I had about the figure.

MP Rodimus does not come with the trailer like the Japanese version, but does come with his Targetmaster (and a matrix too large to fit in his chest, sadly...)

AFCollector
06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, the "American Version" is coloured to look more like the toys, and as Chaddy said, no trailer and comes with a targetmaster "Offshoot", whoever that is. Last I remember, HR's targetmaster pal's name was "Firebolt". Personally, I like the original release better. That's just me though. Pictures: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-rodimus-prime-in-package-pics-back-shots-too-172359/

The Unicron looks fantastic though, I was unable to get the 2010 Anniversary release of him so I'll be definitely picking this one up.

Is this the Arcee you were talking about? It's the one from the "Prime" cartoon: http://cdn.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/1/botcon-saturday-078_1307237664.jpg Or was there another one you meant?

I also saw some pictures of 3rd party versions of Huffer and Powerglide which look near exact to their cartoon versions, as well as iGear's "Not-Ironhide and Ratchet" both of whom look fantastic.

Chaddymac
06-06-2011, 02:42 PM
"Offshoot" was used because they don't have the TM for "Firebolt". I was foaming at the mouth for Ironhide and Ratchet. Huffer and Powerglide were cute, but looked a little too much like Stikfas to me. I preferred the Seaspray/Powerglide that Fansproject had on display at the TF Source booth.

AFCollector
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Damned TM's screwin things up again. ;/ Freakin hate that.

Yeah, I saw pictures of those two as well. I do like the Generations/Universe Voyager class Seaspray from last year, but there's just some transformers that will always be "minibots" to me and these guys are it. I did see Windcharger displayed though, and I thought it funny, as it didn't really see a US release. Gives me hope though that maybe we will sooner or later.

Fansproject and iGear are the two 3rd Party companies that really attract my attention. I've yet to buy anything from either of them that wasn't stellar. I only wish that Hasbro would take a clue from them.

iGear's facebook posted a teaser picture up, and from what I can tell they plan to make their own versions of the mini-bots. Pictured fully are their "Not" versions of Seaspray and Huffer, and from left to right I can see silhouettes of Beachcomber, Brawn and either Windcharger or possibly Wheelie, and on the bottom: (Possibly) Pipes, Powerglide and Cosmos. Link to picture: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=207436765964983&set=a.206974059344587.50264.100000959844909&type=1&theater

JediTricks
06-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I thought the Unicron reveal was a pretty big deal. And the fact that Generations is continuing. And the Prime figures looked amazing, IMHO. But yeah - they teased another Arcee and I just want them to show her to me.

Also, I was impressed with Masterpiece Rodimus. Looks better in person than in pictures.True enough, but except for Prime, they downplayed a lot of stuff like Generations continuing and Unicron's re-release, and did way too much of that "can't reveal until after the movie" junk. Hell, I found figures at Target during Botcon that weren't in their presentation or in their booth.

It also has a new head sculpt to be more movie accurate. Maybe it's not fair to call it Masterpiece, but I found the head sculpt and deco to be the only real complaints I had about the figure. The head is new to the US, but it's the Japanese resculpt from last year.

It's "masterpiece" the same way the Japanese recognize Leader-class ROTF Starscream and Bumblebee as "masterpiece", they're the ultimate they're gonna do and they cost more than $40. :p

It was so weird at Botcon seeing major dealers right across from Hasbro selling knock-off and fansproject items that Hasbro was frothing about last year. IMO, Hasbro needs to better address fan needs when there's a cottage industry around this stuff, until they do then I understand why these guys do this, but still, Hasbro's IP is getting really abused at this point and I was surprised to see them do absolutely nothing about it at their own convention.

After the con on Sunday, I dropped by Target and found DOTM Laserbeak (a figure they didn't have in their booth at the con, wtf?!?). He looks really bad on card and small, I was absolutely not going to buy him, but I was coming down off the botcon high, so I looked him up to see what was up, and basically the hover vehicle mode and the guns sold me the figure. The guns are dope, they're each a gatling-style gun that have flat grips at the back and 3mm handles on top (plus, since those won't work with a lot of figures, 5mm pegs underneath). They combine to be a great-looking huge gun and have a mechtech gimmick where the gatling barrel on the larger one flips around 1.5 times to become a bigger single barrel ringed with prongs. The pegs are pretty short, most of my voyagers need major adjustment to hold it from either peg, and in doing so the gun gets slightly de-transformed (merging the guns is hard, the barrel of one has to pass through 2 holes in the second and it has to be aligned perfectly or it'll stop cold with the barrel half-transformed, and can't be forced).

Laserbeak himself is a figure Hasbro clearly doesn't understand, missing several little touches in the instructions. He's a small bot and an even smaller vehicle mode (yes, he has a vehicle mode, he's a hover-vehicle like the Scorpion Gunship choppers from Avatar with a little windowed cockpit and everything, but then they put a HUGE bird face paint job on either side which isn't subtle enough, leaving one confused. The hover fans spin at the top which is nice. The guns are packaged above the fans, but it's clear they're meant to go underneath (again, like the Avatar choppers) which looks way better.

Transformation seems really easy, but Hasbro also doesn't notice things like the fans closing down on a second hinge, or the wingtips folding into the fans, or the cockpit locking the rotated hips down, or the tail locking down in alt mode (although I don't like that look, it looks better with that panel closer to the midpoint).

The final mode is a a robot condor the way only the Bayverse could do it, ugly as sin and with a ton of pointy things. Most of the bird is pretty interesting taken out of context of the character, but it's impossible to get past the buggy-eyed baby-bird robot face with its hinged mouth, that is just a huge WTF. Hasbro delivers on it though, the long crane neck and tail are jointed so it has a lot of personality potential. The wings could use a few more joints, mainly because the joints they have are blocked by the mold's transformation so you have to separate the fan halves to free them, and then they only swing except at the fan base. There's a lot of range in the wings, but it requires a lot of thought. Laserbeak can spread out quite a bit, but is still the bulk and material of the average Basic from a few years ago, and isn't really painted more than one of them - he's not hurting for paint, but they could have at least added silver below the wings to match above.

Laserbeak has 7 mechtech 5mm holes in vehicle mode and 6 in robot mode, including one above and below each fan (below for alt mode, above for robot mode, it reminds me of the ones on G1 but only in the slightest way really), one in each foot as well, and one below the cockpit. The robot heels are also 5mm pegs, so he can perch on a lot of movie and pre-movie figures.

Laserbeak is not a figure I'd actively recommend for most collectors or casual fans, but I don't think he's a bad figure, just quite unusual and not an exceptional value. I do like his weapons a lot and that's a problem, I'd recommend them in a heartbeat, but they're not worth $12 (unless they're made by iGear or Fansproject ;)).

I also bought Voyager Shockwave last week, kind of a mixed figure. Alt mode is a lazy mess, and the one potentially interesting part - the side doors shown on the prototype - got cheaped out to mold gaps instead. At first I didn't like this figure at all, the mechtech gimmick doesn't fold all the way back in and is difficult to lock open; the power cable to the weapon limits its range and its hinges make it MORE difficult to use instead of less the way they should; he looks like a Skeleton Warrior figure on steroids; and the sharpness of the sculpting isn't as tight as the other figures in the line. After transforming a second time and figuring out the VERY frustrating power cable to the big gun, it turns out you can leave it plugged in on both sides and transform the figure which is downright clever considering how much position-swapping there is here. The blade on his other arm can be plugged into the gun as a bayonet, and the gun itself has a 5mm peg so it can be removed and hand-held by any figure, though it can't be mounted on his left arm (the packaging shows it that way, and all the jointing on the gun and back connector to the gun make it seem like they were going to have it ambidextrous early in design and then killed it later) - at least his hands fold back from transformation so you can fake that it's his gun-hand all the way. The alt mode almost needs the mechtech gimmick side-guns folded out to justify the laziness of the whole thing, the tank's gun looks centered in packaging but is really just left off to the right which I think sucks, leaving the middle empty until you activate the mechtech. I kinda like the figure now, but it's another "I can't really recommend it" figure as a transforming toy, although it does have a lot of presence so as a character purchase I'd say it's not the worst purchase.

Darth Metalmute
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
For anyone in the Northwest Ohio area. At the Walmart on Central and Holland Sylvania, they have a ton of Kups, Scourges, Thundercrackers, Warpaths, and Wheeljacks. On a side note, they are on 9.99 racks but are actually 11.88. The deluxe movie figs are the 9.99 ones but the generations wave has overwelmed the stock.

JediTricks
06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
For anyone in the Northwest Ohio area. At the Walmart on Central and Holland Sylvania, they have a ton of Kups, Scourges, Thundercrackers, Warpaths, and Wheeljacks. On a side note, they are on 9.99 racks but are actually 11.88. The deluxe movie figs are the 9.99 ones but the generations wave has overwelmed the stock. I think I just fainted.

HTS has Leader Ironhide, I ordered using the disc10 coupon code for 10% off. They also had Voy Battle Blades Prime from Hunt for the Decepticons for $10, so I added that.

figrin bran
06-23-2011, 12:24 AM
RTS Windcharger is showing up at Ross, apparently!

I saw DOTM Leader Ironhide at TRU this past weekend...wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be so I figured I'd hold off until reading reviews.

JediTricks
06-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Yeah, when I saw the reports on Windcharger, I literally lept from my computer, threw on pants, and hit the local 3 Ross stores in West LA. But nada on any of those basics, though other classes were here and there, I posted them in the LA Just Found thread. I've been trying every few days since, nada. I have heard TJ Max may also be getting those cases. The thing is, since the entire wave was produced and turned down by retailers, it should be hitting en masse, yet it isn't which is odd.

El Chuxter
06-23-2011, 10:38 AM
The thing is, since the entire wave was produced and turned down by retailers, it should be hitting en masse, yet it isn't which is odd.
Patience. Sometimes they're slow to hit. I read reports of the Target-exclusive GIJoe mini-vehicles hitting Ross and had to scour every Ross within 50 miles for a while before I found them. Once they showed up, no problem at all.

I have seen some stuff I'm pretty sure are remnants of both the Scout and Voyager cases, though.

JediTricks
06-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Patience. Sometimes they're slow to hit. I read reports of the Target-exclusive GIJoe mini-vehicles hitting Ross and had to scour every Ross within 50 miles for a while before I found them. Once they showed up, no problem at all.

I have seen some stuff I'm pretty sure are remnants of both the Scout and Voyager cases, though.Sorry, can't be patient, the item is 1 per case as it is, it'd be hard to find no matter what. And I don't live out in the boonies like you do, I live in collector AND scalper central - my nearest TRU, Target, Ross, TJ Max, Big Lots, and a second Target are all in walking distance from Big Lou's scalper store.

I saw the voyager remnants the first day out, but they are all gone here now.

El Chuxter
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Wait, what's one per case? Grapple, Windcharger, or both?

That makes perfect sense. I mean, really. Who would toss in some low-demand classic character reissue and expect him to be nearly as popular as a random, made-up repaint of Seaspray? :rolleyes:

I've got a feeling I'm just going to pick up every one of each I see (assuming I do see any), and find the extras nice homes among the folks here.

AFCollector
06-23-2011, 06:17 PM
The scout cases I've seen are 2 figure per case so far. I'm still hunting for a Windcharger myself, all but given up. I haven't seen any new Star Wars or Transformer figures (Barring the movie garbage) in several months, just kind of depressing. Hope you guys have better luck than me! :)

El Chuxter
06-25-2011, 01:10 AM
I can't say they were here in abundance, but I just found Thundercracker, Wheeljack, and Warpath at Wal-Mart as well about a half hour ago. I wasn't even looking for toys, or planning to go out, but the handle on the toilet broke and, well, we must have two functioning toilets.