PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Chaddymac
06-02-2012, 09:15 AM
JT - when will you learn to just ask me first? If you ever want to fondle the FE version (and trust me, you do) I have him. His car mode also suffers from a little bit of "lines that seem to need constant massaging to line up", but the playability and robot mode totally make up for it. Plus, he's
sexy - you want to massage him.

JediTricks
06-03-2012, 10:13 PM
JT - when will you learn to just ask me first? If you ever want to fondle the FE version (and trust me, you do) I have him. His car mode also suffers from a little bit of "lines that seem to need constant massaging to line up", but the playability and robot mode totally make up for it. Plus, he's
sexy - you want to massage him.
Fine, I need to see your FE Cliffjumper sometime in the next 5 weeks to see if I'll bother buying the SDCC zombie version. :p

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2012, 10:11 AM
After what has seemed like a long drought, I scored Ironhide and Dreadwing yesterday. That leaves only one figure left on my want list, and I think we all know the one I am referring to. :)

Chaddymac
06-10-2012, 12:12 PM
After what has seemed like a long drought, I scored Ironhide and Dreadwing yesterday. That leaves only one figure left on my want list, and I think we all know the one I am referring to. :)

Indeed....

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
I decided to take the 25 minute drive up to Virginia after work today, completely on a whim. There is a small town just a few minutes over the border called South Boston. I have had some luck there in the past, so I figured why not give it a shot.

Best decision I made all day.

I go inside, hit the toy aisle, and there is vehicon, staring me right in the face. Apparently a fresh case of wave 3 had just been stocked, because the last couple of times I tried this particular store it was bumblebee and cliffjumper city. Today was obviously a different day.

The drive home was one of the happiest ones I've taken. You know the type, where any song on the radio sounds good, and you turn it up and sing to it just because you're in a great mood.

Knowing this quest is finally over, well its a thing of beauty.

I'm now at home, the keys are hung up, and supper is almost done.

Best of luck to those of you still looking..let my humble story inspire you. If I can find one, anyone can.

El Chuxter
06-11-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm very glad you found the all-Fleetwood Mac station on your drive home, J&H! :D

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm very glad you found the all-Fleetwood Mac station on your drive home, J&H! :D

Fleetwood Mac is a good group!! :)

Tycho
06-12-2012, 03:48 AM
Optimus Prime and BumbleBee visited Qualcomm Stadium right down the street from me today.

They had a promotion where you could meet the Autobots to advertise Universal Studios' new Transformers The Ride.

Hasbro was on hand to give away free BumbleBee Deluxe figures. Who'd have thought they had enough?

Chaddymac
06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
You think that's where they all went? Several stores cleared out a host of their BB's in my area. I wonder of they are taking this promotion on tour in CA and decided to write off buying back a bunch of BB's as promotional cost. Hmm...

JetsAndHeels
06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
If that is the case, they need to get that ride to tour the entire nation. :)

Are they giving away movie figures or the prime figures?

JediTricks
06-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Fleetwood Mac is a good group!! :)My roommate used to blast Rumors every weekend, now I cannot stand Fleetwood Mac in any of its varied forms.

I picked up TFP Cyb Cmdr Ironhide, a very mixed bag, I couldn't recommend it without reservations but right now I don't feel like detailing why. Some kibble issues stemming from a lazy transformation, and just a bit too simple overall. There, that's the review. :p

JetsAndHeels
06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
My roommate used to blast Rumors every weekend, now I cannot stand Fleetwood Mac in any of its varied forms.

Unfortunately experiences like that can turn us against certain music. I totally understand where you're coming from.

I picked up TFP Cyb Cmdr Ironhide, a very mixed bag, I couldn't recommend it without reservations but right now I don't feel like detailing why. Some kibble issues stemming from a lazy transformation, and just a bit too simple overall. There, that's the review. :p

I got him and Dreadwing last week, and I agree with what you're saying. Not to mention my Ironhide was loose and kinda flimsy right out of the package. I still like him, but there are some areas that need improving for sure.

Dreadwing, on the other hand, is really nifty. He's got a deluxe-esque transformation, but still it works as a scout size. I'm looking forward to the voyager.

JediTricks
06-13-2012, 06:47 PM
I hear ya. I don't dislike Ironhide, but I couldn't take responsibility for someone spending money they worked hard to get on him either.

I have another big music thing like that, and most people claim it's blasphemy, but I generally cannot stand The Beatles from overexposure as a kid.

El Chuxter
06-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Have you heard all the various incarnations of FM, JT? The original lineup is closer to early Led Zeppelin than Stevie Nicks, and the Welch era was mostly pop but produced some pretty cool prog-rock numbers (I love "Hypnotized (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SqYMgKhsk)" particularly).

I have to disagree with you if you're speaking from experience--they're awesome in all versions. Even that album with Dave Mason that most fans pretend never happened.

Tycho
06-14-2012, 12:13 AM
If that is the case, they need to get that ride to tour the entire nation. :)

Are they giving away movie figures or the prime figures?

Movie figures. Looked like BumbleBee in ROTF (not DOTM) packaging, mind you. At least that's what I saw.

Tycho
06-14-2012, 12:27 AM
I answered JetsAndHeels question above.

Then I thought of a NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC.

Anyone purchasing those Hercules or Giant 3rd party Devastators?

I'd just like to own a couple of the combiners - probably in the yellow Giant's colors, to add to my Voyager / Deluxe BAYFORMERS.

I have:

BF Voy Long Haul
BF Voy Scavenger
BF Voy Mixmaster
BF Del Rampage (G1 Bonecrusher)

If the "3P Giant" Scrapper is perhaps on the Del scale size, with the Hasbro ROTF figures, I'd be interested.

They also make Hook. G1, but not a Bayformer, they'll probably never make Overload (the flatbed truck) that was the closest to the G1 character as BF HighTower had no G1 equivalent he paid homage to.

G1....................................ROTF
1) Scrapper............................Scrapper
2) MixMaster..........................MixMaster
3) BoneCrusher......................Rampage (Bonecrusher's name was used as a mine-clearing vehicle in the first movie)
4) Scavenger.........................Scavenger (Demolisher also scanned the same form for use in ROTF)
5) Long Haul.........................Long Haul
6) Hook................................Overload (not the same vehicle or character)
.......................................HighTower (important as one of Devastator's arms in ROTF)

I would like to see the comparison pictures of Scrapper (Giant toy preferably) next to ROTF Mixmaster et. all in both modes.

Hook is another contender for the same.

I hope Scrapper is about Deluxe sized, and Hook is about Voyager sized.

I have requested this over at TFW2005, but it is such a large community over there that I think my post could have been lost, unless it was deliberately ignored. I'm not really known on the boards over there, but someone did sell me a loose HA Barricade and Frezy set.

I'm looking for one more, btw: HA Barricade and Frenzy (loose or boxed, complete).[not to mention Soundwave and Leadfoot toys from DOTM].

Chaddymac
06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
I per-ordered the green Maketoys Giant. All of those figures are around deluxe size to maybe a little smaller. The Hercules figures are deluxe to maybe a little bigger. The result is that Giant is about an inch or two shorter than Hercules. There's a really great video review series evaluating each with a compare and contrast that was on the TFW homepage earlier this week.

Tycho
06-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Are the 3rd party Constructicons sold separately, or only as a set?

Chaddymac
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
The green Make Toys are sold as a set, the yellow ones are sold in pairs. Hercules is sold as individual figures. They are relatively expensive, and I think Hercules is especially expensive.

Darth Metalmute
06-14-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm saving up to get those, but will probably quit half way through. Probably go which ever route is cheaper. I believe the set sold in pairs goes for 100 buck a set, so three hundred total. I thought the other set was 600 total.

I picked up Cyberverse Dreadwing two weeks ago and the wing fell off. Looks like a faulty screw. I can "snap" it back in, but it cannot be played rough with. I might fix it later but since I basically just have them on display at work and only transform him when I'm board, fixing it is not on my priority list. I do think it is a very nice figure outside of that.

Tycho
06-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Darth Metalmute - get a sunglasses repair kit. They are useful for their obvious intention, but they also have extra little screws that might work on a Cyberverse - that is if the screw socket isn't stripped or weakened instead of the screw.

Actually, Lowes or Home Depot will have those screws too.

Darth Metalmute
06-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks. I need to pick one up for my glasses, might as well kill two birds with one stone.

JediTricks
06-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Have you heard all the various incarnations of FM, JT? The original lineup is closer to early Led Zeppelin than Stevie Nicks, and the Welch era was mostly pop but produced some pretty cool prog-rock numbers (I love "Hypnotized (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SqYMgKhsk)" particularly).

I have to disagree with you if you're speaking from experience--they're awesome in all versions. Even that album with Dave Mason that most fans pretend never happened.Yeah, I've heard the major versions, they all are grating, although Stevie Nicks era is by far the most intolerable.

I per-ordered the green Maketoys Giant. All of those figures are around deluxe size to maybe a little smaller. The Hercules figures are deluxe to maybe a little bigger. The result is that Giant is about an inch or two shorter than Hercules. There's a really great video review series evaluating each with a compare and contrast that was on the TFW homepage earlier this week.It looks like more than an inch difference: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/tfc-toys-hercules-vs-maketoys-comparison-reviews-175230/

The thing that grabs me with Herc over the MT Giant though is the way the individual figures look, the individual figures on the MT Giant don't really fit that well with the established TF look that I prefer. On the Giant, the sculpting style, the faces and the proportions on the limbs, that sort of thing, seems fairly different. Also, a couple of those figures had gaps which I don't care for, I know some fans have no problem with that, I'm a bit picky about that one though. And 2 of the vehicles had kibble trailers which means legoforming, again, I'm picky there.

I'm saving up to get those, but will probably quit half way through. Probably go which ever route is cheaper. I believe the set sold in pairs goes for 100 buck a set, so three hundred total. I thought the other set was 600 total.

I picked up Cyberverse Dreadwing two weeks ago and the wing fell off. Looks like a faulty screw. I can "snap" it back in, but it cannot be played rough with. I might fix it later but since I basically just have them on display at work and only transform him when I'm board, fixing it is not on my priority list. I do think it is a very nice figure outside of that.Maketoys' Giant (the green set) is going for $355 to $400, the yellow sets if you can get them go for around $130 a pop which would be $390. The Hercules figures are each $100, and there's 6 of 'em, so $600 for a complete bot. It's hard not to want to save $200 on third-party stuff, I totally feel that. I'm passing on both merely because I'm cheap. :p

Sucks about Dreadwing, that's really odd. Does the screw not have threads? If it has threads, the problem isn't the screw, it's the screw-hole which is a different mess. You may want to write Hasbro, see what they say. They can't promise to replace the figure though, only try to replace the figure and if they can't, then change for another figure of comparable value. Or you could hold out try to buy a replacement then return this one.

Thanks. I need to pick one up for my glasses, might as well kill two birds with one stone.Totally different sizes, eyeglass kits have much smaller gauge screws than TFs, like half the thickness. And finding a donor screw from another Cyberverse figure is rough, I just looked at all my Commanders and Legion, most don't have screws, they have pins instead.

Darth Metalmute
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Sucks about Dreadwing, that's really odd. Does the screw not have threads? If it has threads, the problem isn't the screw, it's the screw-hole which is a different mess.

The screw has threads, but its hard to try to screw it in based on the location. It looks like the the initial hole opening might be to big. I can pop it in and it stays; it's tight but not sound and can easily be removed. I'm wondering if maybe the screw isn't long enough.

Thanks for the link to the third party devastator comparisons. For as much as Hercules gets right, that cement mixer just doesn't look right. The maketoys figure Devastator head is terrible.

Adam
06-17-2012, 12:31 AM
For awhile, Hercules could easily be had for under 600 - including shipping. I' m not familiar with recent prices though since I finished my set at Botcon. EDIT: I see that Captured Prey sells them for under 100 individually and $515 for the full set. A good deal compared to other sites.

I "accidently" bought Yellow Giant this week as well. I was picking up the Iron Army set on tfsource and they had full sets of Giant available from cancelled preorders.. I was not going to get it since I spent way too much at Botcon but I figured this may be my last chance to get the Yellow version for a decent price. So against my better judgement I went ahead and snagged it. Both sets are really great and I agree with TJ's assesment of them for the most part. (Actually talked to him quite a bit at Botcon, really cool person)

Herc is still my fav of the two though ;)

(Wow its been a long time since I've posted here..)

JediTricks
06-19-2012, 12:01 AM
The screw has threads, but its hard to try to screw it in based on the location. It looks like the the initial hole opening might be to big. I can pop it in and it stays; it's tight but not sound and can easily be removed. I'm wondering if maybe the screw isn't long enough.

Thanks for the link to the third party devastator comparisons. For as much as Hercules gets right, that cement mixer just doesn't look right. The maketoys figure Devastator head is terrible.Sounds like the hole is stripped, to be sure I'd suggest removing the opposite screw (I'm assuming there is one) and trying it, if it grabs then the problem is the screw, if not then the problem is the hole. It's really difficult to find a screw that's too short to get traction though, you shouldn't need to bottom it out to get it to hold. If it's the screw, you can probably track down a replacement. If it's the hole, you can use superglue on the threads but I have a feeling it won't hold even there and you'd not like your figured glued that way - superglue leaves haze on plastics from its fumes, and chews up plastic pretty bad around the area, and can even fog translucent pieces.

I'm not seeing the issue with the cement mixer shape, care to elaborate? I hadn't noticed the more generic look of the Maketoys head, I suspect they were trying to be more cautious about stomping on the Hasbro/Takara IP.

For awhile, Hercules could easily be had for under 600 - including shipping. I' m not familiar with recent prices though since I finished my set at Botcon. EDIT: I see that Captured Prey sells them for under 100 individually and $515 for the full set. A good deal compared to other sites.

I "accidently" bought Yellow Giant this week as well. I was picking up the Iron Army set on tfsource and they had full sets of Giant available from cancelled preorders.. I was not going to get it since I spent way too much at Botcon but I figured this may be my last chance to get the Yellow version for a decent price. So against my better judgement I went ahead and snagged it. Both sets are really great and I agree with TJ's assesment of them for the most part. (Actually talked to him quite a bit at Botcon, really cool person)

Herc is still my fav of the two though ;)

(Wow its been a long time since I've posted here..)That's a heck of an accident. :D I am surprised at how many folks want the yellow MT Giant when they planned to do like 5 different colors of it. I mean, I get the yellow is more realistic, but... but it's Devastator!

WB, btw. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
So while some of you are discussing your high-end 3rd party pieces, I will continue to stay on the cheap end of the fandom.

Amazon had a special on the KO Ravage usb drives. I got one for $10.47 shipped. Anyone else here have one?

El Chuxter
06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Amazing how all these third parties can make obvious knockoff Transformers that are better than what Hasbro makes itself, but Hasbro usually doesn't seem to give a $%^&.

I can't fathom Warner Brothers being cool with, say, IDW or Image making Batman comics that are better than Grant Morrison's and Scott Snyder's bizarre crap.

(For the record, I love both those writers on other books. I friggin' hate them both on Batman. Of course, even Larry Hama didn't get a pass from me when he wrote substandard Batman comics. Guys like Alan Grant set that bar way, way too high.)

Adam
06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Amazing how all these third parties can make obvious knockoff Transformers that are better than what Hasbro makes itself, but Hasbro usually doesn't seem to give a $%^&.

I don't think its a case of them not caring, its just there's not much they can do about it at this point since all of these third party groups are based in China.

Anyone thinking about going for "Hegemon?" I'm thinking about it after my finances recover a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1qwiK4alzk&feature=player_embedded

Chaddymac
06-19-2012, 04:28 PM
How do you delete a post?

JediTricks
06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
So while some of you are discussing your high-end 3rd party pieces, I will continue to stay on the cheap end of the fandom.

Amazon had a special on the KO Ravage usb drives. I got one for $10.47 shipped. Anyone else here have one?I feel ya there, I'm only speaking academically on the high-end stuff as there's no way I'm spending that much coin for ANYTHING Transformers.

I see that price on the KO Ravage, it's a cute idea but it's like double the size of the real one, and I barely use flash drives anymore, and I have G1 Ravage re-release, Classics Ravage, Alternators Ravage v1, Energon Ravage, and ROTF Legends Ravage, so I have plenty of him. Also, the software on the real version seems like a must-have if one gets the drive itself.

I can't fathom Warner Brothers being cool with, say, IDW or Image making Batman comics that are better than Grant Morrison's and Scott Snyder's bizarre crap.

(For the record, I love both those writers on other books. I friggin' hate them both on Batman. Of course, even Larry Hama didn't get a pass from me when he wrote substandard Batman comics. Guys like Alan Grant set that bar way, way too high.)Hasbro gives a huge care on the matter, they've been doing quite a bit to stem the tide of KOs and 3rd party, and have had angry words. They barred all 3rd party from Botcon this year. Why Hasbro doesn't just defeat them at their own game by playing to that market though, I can't answer, it's like Hasbro is intentionally throwing away money - I think the recent slate of Masterpieces is them trying to address that aspect though.

I don't think its a case of them not caring, its just there's not much they can do about it at this point since all of these third party groups are based in China. They have a team in China working on it finally, but this is a symptom of Hasbro doing business with China - they hire unscrupulous factories over there to make their toys, train them on designing TF product, it's too far for them to have enough oversight, so eventually when a market demanding related product appears and Hasbro doesn't respond to that market, it leaves Hasbro open to all these contractor factories and designers and such cashing in on those markets. Hasbro really should have kept a tighter rein on them from the beginning with heavier oversight, now the horse has left the barn and they're just now gathering parties to close the barn doors.

Anyone thinking about going for "Hegemon?" I'm thinking about it after my finances recover a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1qwiK4alzk&feature=player_embeddedI hadn't heard about that one, I like the thought behind it, but at $100 it looks too fiddly for my tastes, I'd consider it for $50 though. I don't know why these companies bother putting the blaze orange caps on the barrels, the law in the US says they have to be PERMANENTLY AFFIXED to be legal, so they will not pass inspection anyway.

Chaddymac
06-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Amazon had a special on the KO Ravage usb drives. I got one for $10.47 shipped. Anyone else here have one?
I have one. He's pretty neat. Doesn't have a high capacity and the you have to be careful with the mouth joint, but otherwise, he's the shizzle.

Chaddymac
06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I agree with JT on Hegemon, but not even for $50 is he enough for me. These 3rd party products can be really disappointing in hand. A few are extraordinary, but mostly they are over-priced and not satisfying. The fact that Hegemon's plastic "feels cheap" makes it a no for me. HasTak will release a better MP eventually, and that will be enough.

I'll tell you, the MP's Takara is releasing this year? I want and need to be patient for a domestic release. But every time I look at a picture, my resolve is weakened just a little more. By December, I'm pretty sure I'll have ordered Red Alert, Sideswipe, Soundwave, and the Cassette Armada. And THEN I'll be happy...

JediTricks
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
I have one. He's pretty neat. Doesn't have a high capacity and the you have to be careful with the mouth joint, but otherwise, he's the shizzle.I saw your first post just before mine without the quote and couldn't figure out what you were talking about! :D I was trying to find a mouth joint on Hegemon. :p

I agree with JT on Hegemon, but not even for $50 is he enough for me. These 3rd party products can be really disappointing in hand. A few are extraordinary, but mostly they are over-priced and not satisfying. The fact that Hegemon's plastic "feels cheap" makes it a no for me. HasTak will release a better MP eventually, and that will be enough.

I'll tell you, the MP's Takara is releasing this year? I want and need to be patient for a domestic release. But every time I look at a picture, my resolve is weakened just a little more. By December, I'm pretty sure I'll have ordered Red Alert, Sideswipe, Soundwave, and the Cassette Armada. And THEN I'll be happy...I noticed the trigger area on Hegemon was REALLY cheaply made, one side displays hollows, that is always a bad sign. Cheap plastic definitely would doom a piece like this, and it's shocking to see cost-cutting measures on an item selling for $100.

I have to wait on MPs, the import prices are simply too steep for me to enjoy those figures.

Chaddymac
06-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I saw your first post just before mine without the quote and couldn't figure out what you were talking about! :D I was trying to find a mouth joint on Hegemon. :p

That's why I'm trying to delete it! I was like, "Oh, no - now that's not going to make any sense at all."

Darth Metalmute
06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm not seeing the issue with the cement mixer shape, care to elaborate? I hadn't noticed the more generic look of the Maketoys head, I suspect they were trying to be more cautious about stomping on the Hasbro/Takara IP.

It's probably nothing, but I don't care for the look of the cement mixer cab. The windows are too small and the cab is too rectangular. The maketoys version is better, but still not right.

I bought the real one a couple of years ago and love it. Never used it in the computer yet. :wink: However I did grab a piece of shale from a bridge site I was working on and made a nice, small diorama. The price I paid was way too much for 2g though. I might have to pick up the KO one for 10.

JetsAndHeels
06-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm glad to hear those of you that have the Ravage usb drive like it. I should have mine soon, so I'll post my thoughts on it once it gets here.

JT, speaking of the legends Ravage, that is by far one of my favorite figures in that scale. It definately beats the deluxe one.

Also a random thought: it does not matter what pose or situation you have ROTF Ejector in...the dude just looks like he's upto something. :)

JediTricks
06-21-2012, 12:12 AM
That's why I'm trying to delete it! I was like, "Oh, no - now that's not going to make any sense at all."Ha! Awesome.

It's probably nothing, but I don't care for the look of the cement mixer cab. The windows are too small and the cab is too rectangular. The maketoys version is better, but still not right. Oh! I was looking for problems with the mixer drum, I do see what you mean about the cabs on both, both scale wrong - the MT makes the truck too small, the Herc makes the truck too big.

JT, speaking of the legends Ravage, that is by far one of my favorite figures in that scale. It definately beats the deluxe one.I remember seeing and experiencing the Deluxe at Botcon '09, and then seeing the Legends in the case, and it was an easy choice to make - the Legends scaled to the figures, had darker colors, and even a better alt mode. Up until then, I had been prepared to buy the Dlx because of how decent the Movie 1 Scorponok was.

Also a random thought: it does not matter what pose or situation you have ROTF Ejector in...the dude just looks like he's upto something. :)That figure is crazy, his face is hilarious. ROTF got by far the best Scout-class line of the movies.

Adam
06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Fan's Project's next release is finally up for pre-order on their website.. fansprojectcore.com. It's an original character with a powermastery theme, the "heart master" that was shown at botcon last year.

JediTricks
06-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Fan's Project's next release is finally up for pre-order on their website.. fansprojectcore.com. It's an original character with a powermastery theme, the "heart master" that was shown at botcon last year."Steel Core" is the name? That figure looks good, if it had been $40 I think I would have bought it, but $80 is too rich for my blood. I appreciate how much thought went into that design, I'd like to experience it, but I just can't see paying that much for a relatively modest-sized figure (it looks Voyager-class), nor a figure that has exposed screwheads.

El Chuxter
06-22-2012, 01:25 AM
This is a bit off-subject, but not really. I just finished reading IDW's More Than Meets the Eye Volume 1 (the first collection for one of the two new ongoing series, as well as the one-shot "The Death of Optimus Prime"). This is the best TF comic I have read in ages. It took some serious cajones to end the war and go with two very different ongoing series, and a semi-humor book in the vein of Giffen & DeMatteis' run on Justice League wouldn't be what I would expect of a TF book, but it works. It really, really works. I would highly recommend checking it out.

Adam
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
"Steel Core" is the name? That figure looks good, if it had been $40 I think I would have bought it, but $80 is too rich for my blood. I appreciate how much thought went into that design, I'd like to experience it, but I just can't see paying that much for a relatively modest-sized figure (it looks Voyager-class), nor a figure that has exposed screwheads.

$83 shipped is cheaper than other voyager sized or even deluxe 3p stuff though. TFC Herc members and that igear Arcee that came out recently, as an example of each.

For me, a lot of it has to do with it being a Fan's Project release. They have yet to let me down.

Tycho
06-23-2012, 11:39 AM
I saw a bunch of new Transformers Prime figures including a Cyberverse Commander Ironhide.

He was a red pickup truck with a different transformation from the last Cyberverse DOTM Ironhide figure.

I didn't need him and can't afford toys right now anyways, but he was pretty cool.

I like Ironhide.

Adam
06-24-2012, 12:08 AM
That Ironhide is just OK. He's probably the weakest of the commander class though.

Chaddymac
06-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey, Adam - don't you need a new signature now?

JediTricks
06-25-2012, 12:11 AM
This is a bit off-subject, but not really. I just finished reading IDW's More Than Meets the Eye Volume 1 (the first collection for one of the two new ongoing series, as well as the one-shot "The Death of Optimus Prime"). This is the best TF comic I have read in ages. It took some serious cajones to end the war and go with two very different ongoing series, and a semi-humor book in the vein of Giffen & DeMatteis' run on Justice League wouldn't be what I would expect of a TF book, but it works. It really, really works. I would highly recommend checking it out.Right now, I'm so far behind that I haven't even finished the extra material in Last Stand of the Wreckers, but I appreciate the recommendation and am glad you found something in there to enjoy.

$83 shipped is cheaper than other voyager sized or even deluxe 3p stuff though. TFC Herc members and that igear Arcee that came out recently, as an example of each.

For me, a lot of it has to do with it being a Fan's Project release. They have yet to let me down.Oh, no doubt it's not the highest priced item out there, just that I'm picky, that's why I said it was too rich for MY blood.

Hey, Adam - don't you need a new signature now?Ha! Good point. My carded Wedge says you're right.

Adam
06-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Hey, Adam - don't you need a new signature now?

I still don't believe he exists until I have one so it stands (with a slight edit) until I do!

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
So Prime wave 4 has started to hit in Walmarts across the country. I'm going out today in search of airachnid and dead end.

JediTricks
06-25-2012, 02:22 PM
I still don't believe he exists until I have one so it stands (with a slight edit) until I do!http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Vintage-Figure-Rebel/dp/B007VOKBUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340652147&sr=8-1&keywords=wedge+antilles

That's how I got mine last week.

Chaddymac
06-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Fairly reasonable price after these years of absence.

Also, sorry for the salty language. I was eating pretzels at the time.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Just got back from doing my rounds. Didn't find the new wave of prime figures, but I will be trying some different places tomorrow.

Adam
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Vintage-Figure-Rebel/dp/B007VOKBUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340652147&sr=8-1&keywords=wedge+antilles

That's how I got mine last week.

I guess I have no excuse to not jump on that with free shipping. Thanks!

JediTricks
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Also, sorry for the salty language. I was eating pretzels at the time.That was a really bad pun. :p NOT EVEN IN THE RIGHT THREAD EITHER! :D

Chaddymac
06-27-2012, 09:03 AM
That was a really bad pun. :p NOT EVEN IN THE RIGHT THREAD EITHER! :D

Really? I'm a mess.

JediTricks
06-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Really? I'm a mess.
You posted that link in the LA Just Found thread and that's where that discussion was held about the ripoff SDCC prices. S'ok tho.

TFW2k5 posted pics of a few new FOC TFs, holy crap are they small deluxes! FOC Jazz is a whole head smaller than RTS Jazz, and Shockwave is the same height. So dumb! http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-generations-classics-30-35/generations-foc-jazz-and-shockwave-pictorial-reviews-175346/

JetsAndHeels
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
I gotta have that Shockwave.

Darth Metalmute
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I gotta have that Shockwave.

Me too. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find. Similarly, I was worried about WFC Soundwave, but luckily he turned out to be a dine a dozen.

Thanks for the amazon link JT. I picked up the Old Republic Sith as well.

JetsAndHeels
06-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Me too. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find. Similarly, I was worried about WFC Soundwave, but luckily he turned out to be a dine a dozen.

Maybe he will be like everything else when it is new..harder to find at the beginning, but hopefully easier as time goes on.

I say that with extreme caution, because in my mind all I'm thinking is "vehicon".

Chaddymac
06-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Maybe he will be like everything else when it is new..harder to find at the beginning, but hopefully easier as time goes on.

I say that with extreme caution, because in my mind all I'm thinking is "vehicon".That's what we're all thinking.

JetsAndHeels
06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Found the wave 4 figures today. Picked up airachnid and dead end.

Adam
06-29-2012, 12:44 AM
TFW2k5 posted pics of a few new FOC TFs, holy crap are they small deluxes! FOC Jazz is a whole head smaller than RTS Jazz, and Shockwave is the same height. So dumb!

They are a bit smaller, but RtS Jazz is also kinda tall for current deluxes. He's bigger than deluxe G2 Prime!

Found the wave 4 figures today. Picked up airachnid and dead end.

I picked up Halloween Wheeljack today too as well as Greybee. Deadend's colors are insane and that's why I like it. I think I may repaint his rims though. Green rims are just.. wrong. I think Greybee goes well with the blade Bumblebee Micron that came out a few weeks ago. It makes him different enough for me: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n-7AdzyUGH8/T-0tPRUb5eI/AAAAAAAABhA/bv9rkIwpK7o/s720/DSCF1903.JPG

JediTricks
07-01-2012, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the amazon link JT. I picked up the Old Republic Sith as well.I hope Generations this year will be easy to get since it's held its pegspace but avoided flooding it with too much old product (so just treading water with old product), new product will be a breath of fresh air to the pegs.

Sure thing, glad to help out. Malgus huh? I haven't gotten him yet, let us know what you think.

I say that with extreme caution, because in my mind all I'm thinking is "vehicon".
Vehicon, any Star Wars vehicle in the last year, most SW figures after wave 1, etc.. Hasbro is the spinner of myths rather than producer of toys these days.

Found the wave 4 figures today. Picked up airachnid and dead end.Nice find, where and how are they?

figrin bran
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I hope Generations this year will be easy to get since it's held its pegspace but avoided flooding it with too much old product (so just treading water with old product), new product will be a breath of fresh air to the pegs.

Sure thing, glad to help out. Malgus huh? I haven't gotten him yet, let us know what you think.

Vehicon, any Star Wars vehicle in the last year, most SW figures after wave 1, etc.. Hasbro is the spinner of myths rather than producer of toys these days

Not to mention Renegades Storm Shadow, Avengers 3.75" Black Widow, the entire WM Avengers 6 " wave...

EE delivered my TFP first edition entertainment pack with deluxe Optimus, Megatron, Jack, Raf and most importantly (sarcasm) Miko. Optimus which is essentially the SDCC exclusive from last year is pretty solid. I don't care if he's under scaled, he will replace Voyager prime in my display as will deluxe Megatron.

JediTricks
07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
How is that Megatron? I've been thinking of buying a Voyager Megs, but cannot find them for $20 anymore, only TRU still has 'em and they want $27.

figrin bran
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
How is that Megatron? I've been thinking of buying a Voyager Megs, but cannot find them for $20 anymore, only TRU still has 'em and they want $27.

The silver paint really makes a difference over the voyager Megs. It's decent but I wouldn't say great...head is too small as is the cannon. That being said, I have a feeling you might not like the Voyager version all that much.

Btw, JT I finally have a Evac deluxe for you. I guess I can get it to you at SDCC and we can work out details.

other TF related thoughts from me as I haven't posted in here in a bit...

- I finally got a TFP Vehicon though I had to pay a bit more than retail. It gets a solid A from me and the way the entire length of the car unfolds to become the legs is an engineering marvel. The odd angled elbows don't bother me as much as I thought they would.

Now that I've seen photos of the "Jet" vehicon, I'm a bit disappointed in them since they seem more like flying cars, like the original Vehicon mold but with wings at the sides. The colors look good though and I'll get one at least, providing they're a bit easier to find than Car Vehicon. Man, those short packed Hasbro toys have been extremely, extremely difficult to find this year.

- In light of that, I fear having trouble finding FOC Shockwave. I could preorder a set of the 3 wave 1 FOC's for around $16 each which isn't that bad but right now I'm not entirely sure I want them, mainly due to the shrinkage of the deluxe scale.

Chaddymac
07-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Now that I've seen photos of the "Jet" vehicon, I'm a bit disappointed in them since they seem more like flying cars, like the original Vehicon mold but with wings at the sides. The colors look good though and I'll get one at least, providing they're a bit easier to find than Car Vehicon. Man, those short packed Hasbro toys have been extremely, extremely difficult to find this year.

That is a fair point, but that's essentially true of the show model as well. So, points for show accuracy, in my book.

JediTricks
07-03-2012, 01:38 PM
The silver paint really makes a difference over the voyager Megs. It's decent but I wouldn't say great...head is too small as is the cannon. That being said, I have a feeling you might not like the Voyager version all that much. Thanks for the info, kind of disappointing but not surprising.

Btw, JT I finally have a Evac deluxe for you. I guess I can get it to you at SDCC and we can work out details. Sounds good, thanks!

other TF related thoughts from me as I haven't posted in here in a bit...

- I finally got a TFP Vehicon though I had to pay a bit more than retail. It gets a solid A from me and the way the entire length of the car unfolds to become the legs is an engineering marvel. The odd angled elbows don't bother me as much as I thought they would.

- In light of that, I fear having trouble finding FOC Shockwave. I could preorder a set of the 3 wave 1 FOC's for around $16 each which isn't that bad but right now I'm not entirely sure I want them, mainly due to the shrinkage of the deluxe scale.At least you got a Vehicon, that's good. The Jet Vehicon seems like how they are on the show, though, except they have longer wings on the show.

I feel similarly on FOC Shockwave and the smaller scale. I wanted figures from WFC and FOC to interact, not to look like parents and children.

Chaddymac
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info, kind of disappointing but not surprising.

Sounds good, thanks!

At least you got a Vehicon, that's good. The Jet Vehicon seems like how they are on the show, though, except they have longer wings on the show.

I feel similarly on FOC Shockwave and the smaller scale. I wanted figures from WFC and FOC to interact, not to look like parents and children.

*gasp* I never thought of that. Babimus Prime! Shockwee! Lil' Jazz! It's like Muppet Babies! Bought!

JediTricks
07-03-2012, 02:38 PM
*gasp* I never thought of that. Babimus Prime! Shockwee! Lil' Jazz! It's like Muppet Babies! Bought!"Shockwee" got me to laugh. The character takes himself SO seriously, I can totally see a Muppet Babies-style version being pouty and stamping his feet and shaking his widdle cannon-arm. :D

figrin bran
07-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Scrap! (TFP show reference ;) ) I need to pay better attention when watching.

And Bot Shots already fills that kiddie niche!

Not that I want any of them and especially not Airarachnid but I don't think I've heard of any TFP wave 4 sightings yet?

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Sorry for the late reply. My internet has been down since Sunday night when we experienced some rather severe storms..I have never seen golf ball size hail fall like rain until then.

To answer your question about wave 4 JT, they are pretty decent figures. There aren't really any surprises, as we have already seen them before, except for airachnid. She is hands down the weak spot in this wave. The alt mode helicopter is solid, and I like it, but when you transform her into robot mode you will notice that the legs don't quite support the figure and the head is very limited in its movement. The head is on a ball joint, but you can't really rotate it fully because the cockpit of the copter folds back when you transform it, so that gets in the way of any real articulation in that area. If you plan to get it I look forward to your thoughts, because in all honesty its lacking in those areas, but yet I find myself not hating it like a lot of folks are over on Tfw2005. If you are familiar with Peaugh's video reviews, you know he is usually an optimistic reviewer, looking for the good in any figure. Well if you take a look at his take on airachnid, he doesn't keep that tone too well. :)

Dead end and Shadow Strike bee are just repaints of molds we have already seen, but Dead end does have a different head. What I like about Dead end is how the colors just pop. He looks like a rastafarian jack-o-lantern, and I love it. Add the neon green swords and he makes a perfect compliment to Wheeljack.

Shadow bee is completely the same mold, but with new grey paint. What I like about it is how a few extra paint apps to the body and head make the features more evident.

Now I am awaiting the wave 4 revision case, as it is supposed to have 2 vehicons in it.

JediTricks
07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Scrap! (TFP show reference ;) ) I need to pay better attention when watching.

And Bot Shots already fills that kiddie niche!

Not that I want any of them and especially not Airarachnid but I don't think I've heard of any TFP wave 4 sightings yet?I got the reference. It's easy to not notice the air Vehicons, they move very fast in their scenes usually. I saw them clearly in an episode, was able to pause and compare, but didn't think to screenshot it, so all you get is this:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:WingedVehicons.jpg
and
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:PrimeVehiconJets.jpg

oh, and this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/twinsticks/jv.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc474/etarnows/Prime-Con-Job-012.jpg
and the japanese toy in color:
http://i.imgur.com/Sq6uD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QsbWx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4TdQ6.jpg

Yes, there have been sightings, and here comes one now...

Sorry for the late reply. My internet has been down since Sunday night when we experienced some rather severe storms..I have never seen golf ball size hail fall like rain until then.

To answer your question about wave 4 JT, they are pretty decent figures. There aren't really any surprises, as we have already seen them before, except for airachnid. She is hands down the weak spot in this wave. The alt mode helicopter is solid, and I like it, but when you transform her into robot mode you will notice that the legs don't quite support the figure and the head is very limited in its movement. The head is on a ball joint, but you can't really rotate it fully because the cockpit of the copter folds back when you transform it, so that gets in the way of any real articulation in that area. If you plan to get it I look forward to your thoughts, because in all honesty its lacking in those areas, but yet I find myself not hating it like a lot of folks are over on Tfw2005. If you are familiar with Peaugh's video reviews, you know he is usually an optimistic reviewer, looking for the good in any figure. Well if you take a look at his take on airachnid, he doesn't keep that tone too well. :)

Dead end and Shadow Strike bee are just repaints of molds we have already seen, but Dead end does have a different head. What I like about Dead end is how the colors just pop. He looks like a rastafarian jack-o-lantern, and I love it. Add the neon green swords and he makes a perfect compliment to Wheeljack.

Shadow bee is completely the same mold, but with new grey paint. What I like about it is how a few extra paint apps to the body and head make the features more evident.

Now I am awaiting the wave 4 revision case, as it is supposed to have 2 vehicons in it.Sorry to hear about crazy murderweather!

The new figure is the bad one in the wave? Ouch.

Wave 6 also a Vehicon.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear about crazy murderweather!

The new figure is the bad one in the wave? Ouch.

Wave 6 also a Vehicon.

We were fortunate. There were some homes that had trees on them.

Just be aware that airachnid is kinda flimsy, the legs have a hard time supporting the figure, and of course the head issue I mentioned. Having said that, she is not the worst figure I have bought, but she is also not the best.

I want at least 2 more Vehicons.

figrin bran
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I guess if my FE and RID Arcee feel a thirst for revenge, they'll have to take it out on TFA Blackarachnia ;)

JT, I sort of remember that first screen shot from the Convoy episode and they like sort of like Stealth bombers to me and so I guess that's what I was expecting. I'll still plan on getting at least one and at least there will be other proper jets in the TFP lines like Dreadwing and hopefully Skyquake? Hopefully Voyager Breakdown is announced at SDCC too since Hasbro has been so hush hush about it but the Takara mold definitely exists.

JediTricks
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I know what you mean, I turned down Cmdr Dreadwing the other day because he was half the price of the Voyager and had arms in the middle of vehicle mode, then I realized as I left the store that they haven't had a good track record with these larger figures so far.

Adam
07-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Commander Dreadwing is a great little figure. I find him to be very cyberjetty.

My cases of AMBreakdown and Vehicons come in tomorrow or Friday.. I am excite :joyous:

JediTricks
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
To answer your question about wave 4 JT, they are pretty decent figures. There aren't really any surprises, as we have already seen them before, except for airachnid. She is hands down the weak spot in this wave. The alt mode helicopter is solid, and I like it, but when you transform her into robot mode you will notice that the legs don't quite support the figure and the head is very limited in its movement. The head is on a ball joint, but you can't really rotate it fully because the cockpit of the copter folds back when you transform it, so that gets in the way of any real articulation in that area. If you plan to get it I look forward to your thoughts, because in all honesty its lacking in those areas, but yet I find myself not hating it like a lot of folks are over on Tfw2005. If you are familiar with Peaugh's video reviews, you know he is usually an optimistic reviewer, looking for the good in any figure. Well if you take a look at his take on airachnid, he doesn't keep that tone too well. :)I picked her up today but haven't opened her yet, thinking she might go back or someone else might buy her off me if they're really desperate.. I've been thinking about your comments, and was looking at pictorial reviews but didn't think to check out Peaugh's video of her, thanks for the advice.

Commander Dreadwing is a great little figure. I find him to be very cyberjetty.Blame Hasbro, their packaged look has the wrong transformation with the arms pegged under the wings like fuel tanks and the biceps just sitting out there between the fuselage and the outer wing, it looks terrible. I saw photos today of Dreadwing with his better transformation, definitely seemed more tolerable that way. Do his arms lock onto the sides of the legs/jet engines that way though, or are they just "there" via friction?

JediTricks
07-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Found a bunch of the Cyberverse vehicles today at Walmart...

Cyberverse Star Hammer with Wheeljack (known on the show as the Jackhammer)

For $20, you get an exclusive Wheeljack Legion figure who sports 2 clear versions of his swords, and the Jackhammer vehicle which sports a slide-to-change gimmick, 2 missile launchers, and a light-up feature. The price is an entirely acceptable value.

At first, I didn't like the Jackhammer at all, there's a lot of compromises that hamper its looks and have it feeling cheap, but after about 15 minutes of messing around with it, it grew on me quite a bit. It really is the kind of value that is otherwise missing from the line, it doesn't feel like a ripoff, it doesn't feel hobbled by budget or a big empty box, it doesn't feel like you're paying a premium for a small figure simply because he's a popular character, the vehicle doesn't feel like a cheap hollow piece of junk built to bilk an extra $15, hopefully Hasbro sees good sales here and recognizes that value still means something to consumers of all walks - hardcore collectors, kids, parents, fans of the show.

PACKAGING: a nice size window box, wide and not too deep or shallow, it feels like the right layout for the price, moreso than the Voyagers. A Try Me hole is right up front, very large, which lights up the cannon on top of the cockpit, but doesn't trigger the main gimmick, and like every other TFP light-up feature, it really doesn't look good in the package. The Jackhammer is in "battle mode" with the wings spread and the cannons raised. Wheeljack is in robot mode tied into his own tray off the right, and this seems to have been an afterthought because there's a spot for him in the main tray beneath - this was wiser, highlighting the figure in the set. 2 swords and 2 missiles are tied to the main tray, and the Jackhammer is tied in 4 spots plus it sports a 5th tie for the Energon Booster light-gun. The Energon Booster's cable/hose is exposed in a clear plastic sheath, and at first glance it almost looks like someone ripped wiring out of the vehicle.

Speaking of the Energon Booster, the packaging highlights it in photos in 2 spots on the box art, and both times even with photoshop help it really doesn't look like it's doing anything, and there's a reason for that which I'll get to later.

WHEELJACK ROBOT MODE: This is a nice figure for Legion, it's got almost as much going on as the deluxe version. Lots of painted details - even the little Autobot symbol on his chest, the only place that could have used more paint I think is the arms, which are white aside from bot-mode accents on the outside; the only real problem with the deco is the head, it's entirely painted a muted silver-gray and the only thing breaking it up is blue eyes, there's no white or lighter gray, so the head looks cheap.

Sculpt is good, there's enough going on, but I do feel like it's soft in the sculpt or in the molding compared to other Legion figures. The robot mode lacks the back wings and the knee spikes, the feet are more G1-style than the animation model, the arms are just the sides of the car, the chest is more window than chest plate, but overall I think it works pretty well. The back of his head is hollow though, and unpainted white. There's 2 pegholes in his back to stow his swords, but there's also enough gap that you can with a little care get both swords slid into his back-cavity. Wheeljack scales nicely to Cyb Commander Bulkhead.

Articulation is ok for a Legion - ball-jointed shoulders and hips, hinged knees, and hinged ankles to point his toes down; the shoulders are a little awkward from the way they're limited on a rotation axis due to the moving inner shoulder piece de-transforming when you try to counter the problem, but otherwise the arms and legs have good range of motion. The figure stays together nicely, although the shoulders as I said are easy to move down when you don't want to. Wheeljack stands well too thanks to long heelspurs and a slight spread-leg foot position, it's not a lot of foot surface so there's not a ton of single-legged stability, but you can get him to stand on 1 foot with a high kick.

WHEELJACK TRANSFORMATION: This is nearly as good as the deluxe, the body splits down the middle and hinges open at the top, then the waist unpegs from the chest to fold back under the car, the shoulders swing far back, the feet fold into the nose of the car, the legs come together and the arms become the car sides to lock it all up. Nothing pops out of position or gets in the way, yet it's not too simple either. Going back to bot mode is a breeze, the only issue is that the shoulders feel like they want to lock into something that they don't.

WHEELJACK VEHICLE MODE: Pretty good, and it even fills in the car nose where the deluxe left that gap. Ground clearance is decent, the nose is low but everything else is good and it rolls adequately. The vehicle mode holds together ok, but the design seems like the tolerances required to keep the front end tight were higher than the factory could deliver so it spreads a tiny bit at the fender and hood seams where they meet the windshield and doors.

Sculpting is alright, there's a lot of detail still and it feels authentic - although the windshield is still much larger than it should be, and the flares behind the side windows is fatter. The one area that compromises is the spoiler, they sculpted it but it's not hollow beneath so it's a brick at the back of the car. Sculpting is still soft, but it doesn't hurt as much as bot mode. The wheels are not softly sculpted, and have nice detail on the tread and hubs, they're actually side-specific, but they're on the wrong sides so they're cutting into the wind instead of away from it, a really small thing of course but funny. The swords can be pegged into the roof, although not in the orientation shown in the instructions - blades angled down - so only flat or up.

Paint is good, but without the extra colors in bot mode, the lack of gray on the hood and the rear window louvers leaving white plastic stands out a bit; the wheels are cast in gray plastic with metal hub pins.

WHEELJACK ACCESSORIES: Not as good as they could be, but ok. A mirror twin set of swords cast in rigid blue plastic, about the same hardness as Cyb Starscream's. They're very low on detail, with just the general shape of the blade and a very small bit at the hilt. They do sport a 3mm peg handle plus shorter pegs at the hilt, facing the side and facing out from the hand.

INSTRUCTIONS: The instructions are pretty small for a set like this, Wheeljack's entire instructions are on the back, and while for once nothing's explained wrong, there's a number of things missing. For one, there's no mention of Wheeljack's swords at all in robot mode, and the final image in his transformation shows the swords attached to the car in a way they can't be used because there's no peg for that.

More importantly though, there's a few really nifty features on the Jackhammer which are entirely ignored and deserved mention. The Energon Booster light gun has a long cable/hose, that cable/hose has a hatch which it can be fully stowed in and is a massive improvement visually. They've also ignored that the Energon Booster can be slid into the back of either missile launcher to light up the missile from the back. They don't mention that the vehicle sports several 3mm and even a pair of 5mm holes to attach weapons to. They ignore that the gun on top of the cockpit can be removed to be hand-held and attached elsewhere, they downplay the same on the Energon Booster (although the package mentions it can be plugged into Cyb Commander figures). And finally, they don't mention the clip on the right wing and rail on the left wing, these are Cyberverse playset connection points, why not play this up since there's the DOTM Ark and Energon Driller as well.

JACKHAMMER FLIGHT MODE: A mixed bag, but leans towards ok. In terms of accuracy, it's recognizable but there are a lot of compromises here -- they widened the wings' stance I think so that the battle mode could hold Cyb Commander figures, as the fat missile launchers could have been done inboard; there's those fat missile launchers and their red armatures; the cockpit doesn't flare out to the sides because those missile launchers need to swing forward; the nose is fatter and missing the facing "pinchers"; the wings don't drop below the underside; and it's just generally more a cockpit box and then a lot of ship behind it, so it's not as sleek as it should be. The cannon on top of the cockpit only further obfuscates things, removing it gives the ship a lot of its personality back, but there is an argument for leaving it on which I'll get to in a moment. The wings are recognizable, big cutters at the front and angled gundam-like "feathers" at the back; the outer sculpting and paint is pretty good, the inner sculpting looks like shallow mold cavities but it's not terrible, if they had painted it though it'd look a lot less cheap. There's a lot of sculpted detail, almost too much actualy as the Jackhammer is a bit sleek and this comes off busy. The cockpit has plenty of detail even on the inside of the hatch, but a control panel screen - even a sticker - would improve things over the blank spot where it should be. The underside also gets sculpted detail, thankfully, but there's not a lot of thought given to where the ship gets its propulsion, just a small pair of hover vents.

In terms of features, it rolls on shallow red wheels on the underside, and if you don't like to look at them the rear pair can be popped out easily (the front one can be removed, but it's surrounded so it'd be a chore). There's a large firing missile launcher on either side. An autobot symbol highlights the button which lights up the Energon Booster (I'll detail that separately) and in stock configuration that continues into the cannon above the cockpit, light-piping its nose and a narrow stretch in the midsection. There's no real moving parts aside from the transformation and the opening cockpit, unfortunately no variability on the wings. The cockpit canopy opens forward, and there's a clever thing with the Energon Booster light in how it attaches to the rest of the cannon (assuming you don't move them to other areas), they sculpted it so that the front half of the cannon goes with the canopy while the light gun half stays on the main body and the canopy just barely clears it. The size is good for whooshing, it's mostly solid except for the missile launchers which wobble a bit on their armatures.

The cockpit holds Wheeljack cleanly, there's even enough space for him to wear his swords on his back crossed to the sides while sitting in the seat, but you'll not be able to fit a second figure in there at the same time, and no Cyb Commander I own will fit without removing all their limbs. I could juuuust barely fit Legion Evac in there, it wasn't pretty how contorted he was and it seemed his hips were about to break; Arcee fit in there ok with the wings folded forward; but Breakdown's shoulders were way too wide to let him in.

Moving the cannon from the top to the nose hints at the hidden guns seen on the show since the cannon is flanked on either side by a smaller round gun.

JACKHAMMER BATTLE MODE: A chunky slider towards the rear causes the ship to widen at the rear lower area, which slides the lower parts of the wings out so they angle about 30 degrees up to the top of the ship, and also triggers the missile launchers to jump forward so they sit just above and to the side of the cockpit. At first, I really didn't like this look, it's complicated and messy, the wings looked good angled like that but the cannons so far forward and just looked terrible to me as a vehicle - they're really meant to be an attack platform at this point, but they ruin the flight look. Apparently someone on the design team agreed with me, because the gearing which drives them forward is soft enough to allow them to be pushed back, and even though they can't take the flight mode position due to the wings, there's a midway stop so they sit higher but much further back. The missile launchers in either position wobble a bit more than before with nothing to brace them now, mine has the metal pins vary in how loose they are, the left side is acceptable, the right side front was not, and they're hidden behind the wings so tapping them in is a chore, and they still will wobble from the inherent play in their design. The ship's overhead and side profiles look pretty decent in this configuration, even if the cockpit is still a bit boxy.

As a battle station, it's really just a pair of flat surfaces behind a pair of massive cannons. The flat surfaces for the figures to stand on have the hexagonal waffle holes reminiscent of the DOTM Ark playset's floor. The gaps are wide enough to allow Cyb Commanders to use the cannaons, and the flip-back control grips have 3mm pegs at the top and bottom, so no matter how short a Legion figure is it should be able to man these guns. Cyb Commanders look ok using the guns, it's not too cramped. Wheeljack has to be slightly de-transformed at the shoulders to get his hands to line up with the grips, just a little oddity as it doesn't look too bad. The cockpit canopy opened helps convey a battle station concept, Cyb Commanders can stand in there and just barely peer out the gap at the top, fire around the sides.

The deco is acceptable, the base plastic is gray; then there's red plastic for the armatures, gun grips, and wheels; red paint accents on the wings; metallic off-black at the front of the wings; dark metallic gray for the missile launchers and floor extensions; clear blue for the fronts of the missile launchers, the cockpit canopy window, and the removable cannon and Energon Booster light gun; clear flexible hose stuffed with a red wire, a black wire, and a white string attached to the Energon Booster; and finally clear yellow with a hint of green for the missiles - they pick up light very well.

ENERGON BOOSTER LIGHT UP GUN: This is a feature they talked about a bit at Botcon last year, the idea being a modular light source built into these playsets to illuminate accessories, Cyb Commanders, and even Voyagers. On the Jackhammer, this is found as a pistol at the back of the cannon at the top of the ship, the pistol tethered to a flexi-hose with wires stuffed inside. Press a button and it lights up, the button here has an added clicker for audible feedback, better than nothing I guess. The pistol has some sculpted detail, and sports a 3mm peg at the top and bottom, minicon-style 5mm hollow pegs (the kind with 3mm holes in the middle) at either side and at the front, a small fin, and inside is a green LED. I'm not sure why they went with a green LED over a blue one, I could assume cost since they are a few cents cheaper, green doesn't shine through as well as blue would have but it does contrast in it better... when it works.

I do have to credit Hasbro with including a string in the flexi-hose alongside the wires, if the gun is pulled too hard the string should help keep the wires from ripping out. And I can't say enough about including an opening storage hatch to put the excess into. But I have to say, using a clear hose over an opaque or even blue-tinted one was a massive mistake, exposed wiring just looks bad.

The pistol is small enough to be held by Legion figures and not look odd. The LED is pretty bright for a green one, clear blue plastic obviously leaks a lot of the LED light out the pistol, this becomes a notable issue when using it to light up accessories or figures, it works ok for the blue of the Autobot Cyb Commanders but does absolutely nothing to the Decepticon red of Starscream's torso. Some Cyberverse figures' accessories peg into the tip easily while others don't clear it at all. The green light doesn't do anything for Starscream's accessories, gives a marginal light to the area around the peg on Breakdown's accessory, lights up Bumblebee's accessory ok but that's one that only pegs into its grip not its rear peg, it does a marginal light effect on Ironhide and Bulkhead's accessories, and it does a fair job lighting up the clear hollow cannon that comes with the Jackhammer.

The Booster lights up Ironhide's chest windshield green, and Bulkhead's chest windows it does a small job but that's partly stacking a second set of slightly more opaque windows on top of the original ones, those light up quite well - I just don't know why you'd want to light any of this up green.

I already explained how leaving the light gun at the top of the cockpit connected to the cannon lights that up, removing the cannon leaves the light gun up there with a bare LED that's pretty bright.

An undocumented feature is the light gun can be plugged into the back of either missile launcher to light the missile up before it's fired (it's angle-specific, so it only fits in with the fin facing up). If you get the hose cleared right (either a lot of slack, or very little), you can leave the light gun in the launcher during transformation. Since the missile is yellow-green and the LED is green and the missile is dome-shaped, I was expecting it to really get brilliant, but it only does a middling job lighting up, good enough but not really impressive. You can see a lot of light lost not just out the back but through the light gun and through the missile launcher housing as well.

OVERALL: I'll call this a B, perhaps a little generous of a grade but it holds its own on value and concept even if the exeuction doesn't do everything it wants or you'd hope. Wheeljack is as good as a Legion figure could expect to be, I think; yes he's missing elbow articulation and he could be sharper, but the broad strokes make for a satisfying little Transformer.

The Jackhammer has some good ideas, even some clever ones, and its presence makes Cyberverse feel more like a working system. At the same time, there were compromises and cost-cutting measures, so it feels like it's about 75% of the way there. In some ways it's better than I expected, in others it's right along what I feared, but for the price it's certainly not terrible - at this price it's not even a risk assuming you can tolerate Cyberverse in the first place. I can find fun in it, and that's enough to let what works breathe.

JetsAndHeels
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
That's a very good and in depth review, JT. I don't have the Star Hammer yet (I have the driller w/Knockout), but have been thinking about getting it. Based on what you have said here, I will probably pick it up soon.

Speaking of Wheeljack, I think he may just be the best deluxe in the Prime line so far. Vehicon is nice, but Wheeljack has everything going for him..a great transformation, awesome alt mode, the storage of his weapons, etc. I love that figure.

I feel the same way about Dead End, since he is basically the same, just with awesome jack-o-lantern halloween colors.

Chaddymac
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Completely agree with your review JT. Definitely worth a buy if you like the cyberverse system, IMHO. And I particularly enjoy having transforming robots who pilot ships. Always have. One of the reasons I loved the Master concept.

figrin bran
07-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Today I saw Shadow BB, Star Hammer, Energon Drill, Cyberverse Commander Nightwatch Optimus and Ultra Magnus. Only bought the latter.

Oh I also saw those movie deluxe Optimus w trailer on clearance at Target.

Chaddymac
07-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I posted this in the wrong thread, so I will replace it with "looks like Knock Out is becoming easier to find - saw three at North Hollywood Target yesterday, along with the usual red and yellow blur."

JediTricks
07-08-2012, 12:19 PM
That's a very good and in depth review, JT. I don't have the Star Hammer yet (I have the driller w/Knockout), but have been thinking about getting it. Based on what you have said here, I will probably pick it up soon.

Speaking of Wheeljack, I think he may just be the best deluxe in the Prime line so far. Vehicon is nice, but Wheeljack has everything going for him..a great transformation, awesome alt mode, the storage of his weapons, etc. I love that figure.

I feel the same way about Dead End, since he is basically the same, just with awesome jack-o-lantern halloween colors.Thanks! :thumbsup:

Wheeljack was my first TFP deluxe, so it's basically his fault I kept buying, he was good enough to convince me there's more to the line. Turns out he might have been lying. ;)

Completely agree with your review JT. Definitely worth a buy if you like the cyberverse system, IMHO. And I particularly enjoy having transforming robots who pilot ships. Always have. One of the reasons I loved the Master concept.Right on!

Today I saw Shadow BB, Star Hammer, Energon Drill, Cyberverse Commander Nightwatch Optimus and Ultra Magnus. Only bought the latter.

Oh I also saw those movie deluxe Optimus w trailer on clearance at Target.How is UM?

Ha ha, what a surprise, those boring trailers didn't move.

I posted this in the wrong thread, so I will replace it with "looks like Knock Out is becoming easier to find - saw three at North Hollywood Target yesterday, along with the usual red and yellow blur."Yeah, KO is everywhere on this side of town, like 1 or 2 per store.

JediTricks
07-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Any questions for Transformers team? We have a short interview with them in 2 days, but nothing yet to ask. I can come up with some, but I'd rather represent you guys. So if you have any, post 'em here:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/46011-Questions-for-Hasbro-at-SDCC-Marvel-TF-GI-Joe

Adam
07-16-2012, 03:38 AM
I saw photos today of Dreadwing with his better transformation, definitely seemed more tolerable that way. Do his arms lock onto the sides of the legs/jet engines that way though, or are they just "there" via friction?

They do peg into the legs in jet mode.

Any questions for Transformers team? We have a short interview with them in 2 days, but nothing yet to ask. I can come up with some, but I'd rather represent you guys. So if you have any, post 'em here:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/46011-Questions-for-Hasbro-at-SDCC-Marvel-TF-GI-Joe

...damn. Just now saw that.

JediTricks
07-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Got Zombie Cliff, Joe Shockwave, and Bruticus at SDCC, more comments coming but first tastes...

Zombie Cliff's packaging is awesome, and the blister inner package is hand-painted.

Shockwave's box is HUGE!

Bruticus is a mixed situation, some good and some not-so-good, but the instructions for each figure neglect to show you how to transform to combiner mode, only out of it. Brawl is transformed differently in Hasbro packaging and photos than he should be which greatly affects his stability. Scramble-citying works nicely.

They do peg into the legs in jet mode.Ugh, awesome, another figure Hasbro doesn't understand.

...damn. Just now saw that.
Drat, oh well.

figrin bran
07-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I picked up Terrorcon Cliffjumper at SDCC as well and am rather impressed by it. Of all the FE molds that I own (deluxe Arcee, Starscream, BB, Optimus, Megatron), I think I like Cliffjumper's mold the best. And now by comparison, the deluxe TFP CJ is even more disappointing.

Getting back to your question, JT, Cyberverse UM is okay, much better in bot mode than in alt. Truck mode utilizes the axe/cannon to cover up a gaping hole towards the back.

I passed up Shockwave/HISS so I hope JT's upcoming review doesn't make me regret it.

JetsAndHeels
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
With Hasbro's news that the FE stuff will be back later this year, I can hold out hope that I will finally get a CJ, Optimus, and Bulkhead.

Chaddymac
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
I got FE Vehicon from a friend who was traveling through Singapore. I have to say, he's a lot cooler than I thought he'd be. I don't have the RID version to compare, but he's a really awesome toy. I'm glad I have him. Maybe he can just be Makeshift when I get the RID Vehicons I pre-ordered on BBTS.

JediTricks
07-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Our SDCC interview with Hasbro Transformers is up:
http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1268-ActionFigs-com-s-SDCC-Hasbro-Transformers-Interview

Also, my own TF site's interview is up:
http://www.tfviews.com/news/main/hasbro-q-and-a/1375

I just today opened up SDCC Zombie Cliffjumper. The packaging is so good I knew the item inside couldn't live up to that, the light pours through the clamshell's hand-painted face in the eyes and mouth and open wounds, it's so cool. The figure itself is alright, it's much better than the RID version but the mold is panel-esque and fiddly, although it's also clever in some ways. The head looks good, the light-piping doesn't work in natural light, it needs a flashlight to push through the VERY purple lighting, which is odd because the chest doesn't have that same problem despite being the same plastic - I think it's the smaller path that's bent. Paint is good, transformation is cool, chest is hollow from the side. All in all, outstanding packaging, fair figure.

figrin bran
07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I lucked out and saw FOC Shockwave in stock on TRU.com so I ordered him along with FOC Optimus and the new TMNT Raph, Don and Mikey to get free shipping on the order.

I've had very, very little luck with the short packed deluxes this year and so it'll be so great to not have to hunt for Shockwave at retail.

Adam
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Our SDCC interview with Hasbro Transformers is up:
http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1268-ActionFigs-com-s-SDCC-Hasbro-Transformers-Interview

Also, my own TF site's interview is up:
http://www.tfviews.com/news/main/hasbro-q-and-a/1375

Thanks for those JT. I wish I had not missed the deadline for questions, along the same lines as your last questions in the TFviews interview, I would have thrown out a question about using the subscription service to get some of those unreleased molds out there since they are supposedly made to order. :-/

El Chuxter
07-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure that I understand the answer to your question about Marvel comics characters. I'd assume you were asking about guys like Straxus--Scrounge would be an obvious choice, as would Emirate Xaaron, Master Mouth, or a slew of other comic-only characters. But his answer seems to indicate he thought you were asking about Marvel characters in Transformers. Obviously, there's not going to be a Spider-Man vs Megatron two-pack. But what Marvel characters appeared there? Circuit Breaker is the huge one, and Death's Head would be close behind. There's also the aforementioned Spidey, Nick Fury, an off-hand comment about Godzilla, and the Savage Land factoring into the Dinobot origin. That's it, so far as I can recall (though Robot Master could be a bit iffy, since he's based on real-life Marvel editor Danny Fingeroth). Everything else is owned by Hasbro. Even the Neo-Knights. Heck, I think even G.B. Blackrock would technically be Hasbro property; unlike Circuit Breaker, he didn't first appear in Secret Wars.

If Hasbro really wanted to push it, I believe Circuit Breaker appeared in TF as Josie Beller prior to her superhero appearance in Secret Wars.

Damn, that's another Hasbro Marvel question that would've been good: 3.75" or Legends Death's Head.

Adam
07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Death's Head was already announced for the 3.75" line at Toy Fair though.

El Chuxter
07-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Adam, you just made my day and made me decide upon the first Marvel figure I will get for reasons other than custom fodder. (I'm assuming it's the REAL Death's Head, and not one of the characters to take that name later.)

:D

Adam
07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm not really sure which Death's Head it was since it was on the panel and I don't think revealed afterwards. One of the tformers.com guys in the crowd yelled "DO CIRCUIT BREAKER!" and the Hasbro guy on stage joked he though someone was going to say that. (All second hand info of course since I wasn't there.)

Adam
07-30-2012, 05:23 PM
After a few days of fiddling (and boy do I mean fiddling) with SDCC Bruticus I have come to the conclusion that he's just ok. Instructions don't even show you how you are supposed to convert the limbs for either arm or legs. This is fine as the arm modes that Blast-Off and Vortex are packaged as are pretty terrible and too long. It's seems clear that those are the intended transformations though as it does give them elbows to varying degrees of success. I find the combined mode looks better making the arms shorter. It sacrifices some of the articulation some what but I'll take it over the horrible looking arm modes they come as. Swindle and Brawl look pretty good as the legs although Brawl doesn't succeed as well because the hinge joint on his "toe" cannot support much weight. This limits what you can do with him pose wise. Brawl could really have used a strut to support the "toe." Swapping arms to feet and so forth doesn't really improve or worsen Bruticus's disposition. Blast-Off and Vortex make fine feet although Vortex seems slightly shorter than BO and I can't get Bruticus to really stand straight using that configuration. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Swindle is the best looking arm and Brawl can be finagled to look decent. Most pictures I've seen of Brawl as an arm leave him looking shoulder heavy and thin on the arm, but I somewhat solved this by swinging his legs down to make the arms appear a bit thicker. It's not really a great solution but it looks better I think. Onslaught makes a fine and sturdy torso. Don't really care for how his robot mode arms just kinda tuck under the shoulders though. I ended up twisting his legs inward which faces two of his alt-mode tires out. Just looks better that way I think. Probably the worst part of this set are the combiner ports. These things are super tight, which is good, but really feel like its only a matter of time before they snap off while removing the limbs. The first few times, its kinda freaky how hard it is the get the limbs to disconnect.

Individually, I feel like 3 of the 5 are worth owning outside of the combiner aspect. Swindle is the best of the bunch in all three modes. His robot mode is the tallest which is weird as he is traditionally portrayed as being the shortest of the Combaticons. Brawl is second for me as I really like his robot mode, although its a bummer that the combiner kibble just hangs off his rear and there is nothing you can do about it. He's also pretty small comparatively which is the opposite of how he was portrayed in WfC. Vortex ranks third, as I find his limb modes around the same level as Brawl but I like his robot mode less. I would like it more if his helicopter blades could fold flat against the side of his arm or better yet stayed on his back like the actual character model. Blast-Off is close to being good bit his shoulder really kills it. Side-to-side movement is fine but he cant lift his arms enough to adopt a standard point and shoot pose. The shoulders are not integral to arm mode so I can't cut it slack; it should be better. Onslaught is the weakest individually his arms just kinda suck and look awkward and tiny. He's actually similar to Blast-Off in that he would be passable if not for the arms. Since he only has one combiner mode though he *really* doesn't get any slack cut; again there's little reason why he could not have been better.

Overall the set is ok, and if someone really only wanted one I would have suggested the Amazon G2 set as its cheaper than retail especially with free shipping. Since I am a sucker I will probably end up with all four versions. I like Swindle, Brawl and Vortex enough to pick up individually and Onslaught I will get to swap out the SDCC version. Probably will just pick up Blast-Off since I'll have the rest anyway.

El Chuxter
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
So, it looks like I need to actually start looking for these figures. :)

figrin bran
08-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Now that I've had FOC wave 1 for a little over a week I think I would rank them like this

1. Jazz (surprise!)
2. Shockwave
3. (and this is an extremely distant third) Optimus

Optimus' and Shockwave's alt modes are extremely lackluster. Optimus' bot mode is just as bad. Much has been made of Shockwave's puny bot mode but what gets most of the low marks from me are the hollow legs. It's been a pet peeve of mine with the TF Prime deluxes but none of them thus far are hollow on the order of Shockwave. It's as if he doesn't have inner legs at all. So by default, Jazz winds up being the best simply by having an average bot and alt mode.

JediTricks
08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I've put up a photo review of SDCC Bruticus on my Transformers site, it went through a ton of delays and was a mountain of work to get in order, but is finally done, so check it out and let me know what you think:
http://www.tfviews.com/news/toysandcollectibles/1390

---

Thanks for those JT. I wish I had not missed the deadline for questions, along the same lines as your last questions in the TFviews interview, I would have thrown out a question about using the subscription service to get some of those unreleased molds out there since they are supposedly made to order. :-/Sure thing. Yeah, I could have used more firepower, definitely, but I guess that's for next time.

I'm not sure that I understand the answer to your question about Marvel comics characters. I'd assume you were asking about guys like Straxus--Scrounge would be an obvious choice, as would Emirate Xaaron, Master Mouth, or a slew of other comic-only characters. But his answer seems to indicate he thought you were asking about Marvel characters in Transformers. Obviously, there's not going to be a Spider-Man vs Megatron two-pack. But what Marvel characters appeared there? Circuit Breaker is the huge one, and Death's Head would be close behind. There's also the aforementioned Spidey, Nick Fury, an off-hand comment about Godzilla, and the Savage Land factoring into the Dinobot origin. That's it, so far as I can recall (though Robot Master could be a bit iffy, since he's based on real-life Marvel editor Danny Fingeroth). Everything else is owned by Hasbro. Even the Neo-Knights. Heck, I think even G.B. Blackrock would technically be Hasbro property; unlike Circuit Breaker, he didn't first appear in Secret Wars.

If Hasbro really wanted to push it, I believe Circuit Breaker appeared in TF as Josie Beller prior to her superhero appearance in Secret Wars.

Damn, that's another Hasbro Marvel question that would've been good: 3.75" or Legends Death's Head.I didn't entirely understand Archer's answer either, but it could go either way.

You are right about Circuit Breaker/Josie, but I doubt Hasbro wants to fight to get rights to a non-robot old-timey comics character in this line.

Now that I've had FOC wave 1 for a little over a week I think I would rank them like this

1. Jazz (surprise!)
2. Shockwave
3. (and this is an extremely distant third) Optimus

Optimus' and Shockwave's alt modes are extremely lackluster. Optimus' bot mode is just as bad. Much has been made of Shockwave's puny bot mode but what gets most of the low marks from me are the hollow legs. It's been a pet peeve of mine with the TF Prime deluxes but none of them thus far are hollow on the order of Shockwave. It's as if he doesn't have inner legs at all. So by default, Jazz winds up being the best simply by having an average bot and alt mode.No kidding surprise, Jazz is the only one I've passed up so far.

I like Optimus and Shockwave's altmodes, and Optimus I don't think is a bad bot, just small and simple for the price. Shockwave's legs don't bother me at all.

Downloaded the FOC demo, but have only had time to play the single player modes (Bumblebee and Vortex, both are truncated segments), and I am not impressed so far. The visuals are muddy, the "store" system for weapons is obnoxious and takes you right out of the game (it's a cute idea to build up weapons bit by bit, but the expression feels all wrong, like a mobile app trying to upsell you), and it just doesn't feel as Transformersy as WFC did. Hopefully that's just the demo being mediocre. I did try out the build-your-own-character system, it's not quite as cool as presented, just mix-n-match parts from existing bots, not all that inspiring, and the color choices available are horribly limited despite a massive palette of choices.

Oh, and Bran, some thoughts on the GI Joe Shockwave HISS Tank set:
- only custom part is a removable Shockwave gun mode emitter which plugs into the tank's main cannon in place of its spring-loaded missile, the set even comes with the missile, the tank is identical in sculpt to the mainline release.
- only custom accessories are Soundwave, his tape minions (all 3 are the same cassette sculpt, Laserbeak/Buzzsaw style from the look of the cassette) and the sled and the 3 Energon blocks. Soundwave is a Joe backpack as well as a huge boombox, but looks pretty good.
- Destro is alright, but the big purple flack jacket covering his lower face is kind of annoying and the huge Decepticon logo on it makes even less sense. There's way too many Decepticon logos in this set actually, his chest, the money briefcase, and at least 5 on Shockwave himself.
- The purple of the tank looks really good.
- The Shockwave emitter piece is cast in milky gray/silver plastic, box art shows the sculpted cut-ins painted purple like the G1 toy, but they went lazy and left them unpainted here.
- box is big and designed like a giant comic on the outside, looks great but feels incomplete since there's only the outside's art to tease you.
- construction BAT comes with an extra pistol.
- both figures and all of their accessories that aren't TF-themed are reuses of previous stuff.
- overall, not worth the price of admission but a cool set for the shelf or for a GI Joe collection I suppose.

El Chuxter
08-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Who's out so far from FOC? I've seen Jazz and Optimus a few bazillion times already--I'll want to at least get Jazz at some point, but $15 is a bit much, and it's especially high for Optimus, given how similar he seems to the previous one.

Is Shockwave just absolutely im-frickin'-possible to find or what?

Darth Metalmute
08-16-2012, 06:05 PM
I spotted my first shockwave today. TRU has s buy 1 get one 50% off sale. I should have taken advantage of it, but optimus looks bad/small, and even though jazz looks great i passed.

JediTricks
08-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Who's out so far from FOC? I've seen Jazz and Optimus a few bazillion times already--I'll want to at least get Jazz at some point, but $15 is a bit much, and it's especially high for Optimus, given how similar he seems to the previous one.

Is Shockwave just absolutely im-frickin'-possible to find or what?Jazz, Optimus, and Shockwave are the only FOC figures on shelves right now.

They're all small and not worth $15, barely worth the $12 they're asking on HTS. I like Shockwave and OP, but they're both lesser items in a lot of ways. I haven't bothered with Jazz, I don't like how he looks.

Shockwave is 2 per case, Jazz is 2 per case, Optimus is 3 per case. A revision is coming with Shockwave at 3 per case. He's just popular.

I spotted my first shockwave today. TRU has s buy 1 get one 50% off sale. I should have taken advantage of it, but optimus looks bad/small, and even though jazz looks great i passed.Yeah, you really should have, that's the best way to do it, $22 for the set is $11 per figure. Maybe you can go back?

El Chuxter
08-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Wow. I could seriously build an army of Primes right now. I guess everyone wants Shockwave for the same reason I do--he's the first Classics Shockwave of any sort.

JediTricks
08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Wow. I could seriously build an army of Primes right now. I guess everyone wants Shockwave for the same reason I do--he's the first Classics Shockwave of any sort.
I think they want him because he's the only cool-looking FOC figure. His weapon emitter looks zip like classic Shockwave though, I have him standing under the GI Joe HISS Tank's barrel and they're not recognizably the same ideas.

El Chuxter
08-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Under?

Dang, I knew these were small, but... wow.

JediTricks
08-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Under?

Dang, I knew these were small, but... wow.Yeah. The HISS Tank is pretty big for a modern Hasbro $20 tool, but there's even a bit of room between Shockwave and that barrel. I'll take a photo to show you.

(pardon the poor lighting and focus, it was a quicky phone photo)

Darth Metalmute
08-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah, you really should have, that's the best way to do it, $22 for the set is $11 per figure. Maybe you can go back?

I picked up 1 shockwave, but didn't pick up any other. They really didn't interest me. I'll get a chance to open him tomorrow.

JediTricks
08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I picked up 1 shockwave, but didn't pick up any other. They really didn't interest me. I'll get a chance to open him tomorrow.Oh, that's fine then, Shockwave is the good one to have, as long as you got him that's all that matters.

Darth Metalmute
08-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh, that's fine then, Shockwave is the good one to have, as long as you got him that's all that matters.

I really like him too. Outside of every ones typical complaint, size, my only problem was that vehicle mode was too short and wide compared to the picture on the blister.

JediTricks
08-18-2012, 06:31 PM
That vehicle mode definitely seemed like it was going to be more substantial in photos, but I still like it. I won't bother picking up the remold though, I think it's Jetfire or Silverbolt or something.

I transformed all my ANIMATED figures today into vehicle mode, they had been scrapping in robot mode this week but it just seemed like a thing to do. I still haven't found Soundwave though. I forgot how oddball some of the transformations in that line are, especially Ultra Magnus' shoulders and everything about Blurr, but I really love that Blurr figure in both modes so it's totally worth it, and I actually was able to remember prior frustrations I had in those areas and work around them for the most part. I found new appreciation for Oil Slick of all things, and got Jazz to twirl his nunchucks before transforming him. Still a great line.

El Chuxter
08-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I found some purple guy on a Fall of Cybertron card. It said Shockwave, but he had a red eye. I got him anyway. :)

El Chuxter
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
So, what's the deal with Shockwave's gun? Any particular reason it can go from something similar to his classic cannon to a 3-barreled blaster?

I'm a bit let down that there's no way to give him his classic gun arm. I figure he probably has both hands in the game (anyone want to bet Grimlock eats a hand?), but some small snap-on dealio would've been cool.

JediTricks
08-19-2012, 01:35 PM
So, what's the deal with Shockwave's gun? Any particular reason it can go from something similar to his classic cannon to a 3-barreled blaster?

I'm a bit let down that there's no way to give him his classic gun arm. I figure he probably has both hands in the game (anyone want to bet Grimlock eats a hand?), but some small snap-on dealio would've been cool.In the War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron games, characters don't carry handheld weapons, their forearms transform into whatever new weapon programs they find (complete with ammo limits), so the tri-barrel blaster is supposedly one of the weapons Shockwave can use in the game.

BTW, his accessory can replace his hand, fold the hand away and the accessory snaps over the forearm into a tab on the back of the former wrist. You can see that going on in this shot I took: http://tfviews.com/Bruticus/midsize/Bruticus%20Size%2006.jpg

As for his little blaster-hand though, they already did a big one so no reason to bother with a little one.

El Chuxter
08-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I was too tired to notice that last night.

Would it kill Hasbro to put some mention in the instruction manual of the little features they throw in like this so we don't have to figure them out? :)

JediTricks
08-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I was too tired to notice that last night.

Would it kill Hasbro to put some mention in the instruction manual of the little features they throw in like this so we don't have to figure them out? :)Hasbro doesn't even seem to know what its designers and what TakaraTomy's designers are doing half the time.

figrin bran
08-24-2012, 04:21 PM
MP Thundercracker was found in Kansas apparently

Let the hunt begin

JediTricks
08-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Culver City and La Cienega TRUs had tags for it, $69.99, dated 8/15 and 8/14 respectively. Empty shelves though.

El Chuxter
08-25-2012, 06:41 PM
I was thinking maybe I should track down MP Skywarp and get Thundercracker to have a full complement of Seekers. Then I read the price and saw pics of the ridiculous deco on him. No way. My Starscream will fly alone. Unless Hell freezes over and they make Ramjet next; I can't pass on that bad boy.

JediTricks
08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
So, Thundercracker's instructions are NOT for this mold, it shows features that aren't on this mold (no transforming face is a big one), and very wrong transformation (the feet, the crotch panel that no longer moves, the sides of the legs and arms). So basically, you're out in the cold on this figure, and the very last step is the one that you really could use that help on.

Chaddymac
08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Did you figure it out, JT? You're right - the instructions are totally for the original. Doesn't not have any of the new arm/leg transform stuff that can be a hair complicated and was the whole reason updating the mold made sense.

JediTricks
08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Did you figure it out, JT? You're right - the instructions are totally for the original. Doesn't not have any of the new arm/leg transform stuff that can be a hair complicated and was the whole reason updating the mold made sense.Step 5 is the last step where it matches up, step 6 is similar but clearly different, then it avalanches into 21 more steps of confusion since this mold matches very little of what's shown there. I was able to fiddle my way through transformation to vehicle mode without too much drama, but getting him OUT of vehicle mode was a challenge because the first step is really not obvious and the wing fuselage sections that are tabbed into the body aren't that well attached to the rest of the wing part. There's also some tabs at the hips which require doing things in a certain order, but that stuff wasn't too bad. Naturally after I got it transformed back to robot mode, I found these MP-11 instructions: http://cavecollection.blogspot.com/2012/05/transformers-mp-11-masterpiece.html :p

I will say that this is the first Hasbro MP to really look overly Hasbro, everything has a plasticky look to it and paint in a few small spots is sloppy, there's fit and finish stuff like sprue marks and the like which haven't been put to the Masterpiece level of detail. That said, it's still a big flying Seeker, and this one can stand on his own. I don't mind the goofy tail art and fuselage art as pilots sometimes customize their craft in real life, but it could have been better thought out too.

I'll post more thoughts on MP TC later.

Adam
08-30-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm pretty happy with him, goofy tampos and all.

Chaddymac
08-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm pretty happy with him, goofy tampos and all.

I agree. They're fun, and mostly non-obtrusive.

El Chuxter
08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/08/phil-jimenezs-jlatransformers-crossover-pitch-was-undeniably-epic/

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Chaddymac
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
WHOA. Aww...

JediTricks
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Ouch, that's a bummer to not see progress to the page, sounds and looks awesome. The Batwing is there as a transformer in the background even, this should have happened!!! Mirage should have been the Invisible Jet, even though he's usually a car.

MP TC is still standing, amazing! His head looks a little disembodied from the way the neck is set, it's one of those little things nobody would notice until they see it, then it's ALL they can see. :p

El Chuxter
08-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah, and I was especially impressed to see Aquaman was fighting Piranacon and Submarauder. Makes me think the dude who drew the proposal knows his stuff; otherwise, where would he come up with those two?

JediTricks
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah, and I was especially impressed to see Aquaman was fighting Piranacon and Submarauder. Makes me think the dude who drew the proposal knows his stuff; otherwise, where would he come up with those two?
Maybe he did research on TFwiki for the only G1-era sea guys. :p Isn't Aquaman also pulling Seaspray's head in his hand?

El Chuxter
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Could be Seaspray, now that you mention it. I didn't put too much thought into it, since there are several guys on both sides with that head style. Wouldn't make sense to behead Seaspray and beat up Submarauder, unless the Atlanteans were against all Cybertronians. But that would seem like too much plot to throw into a teaser image for a proposal, I'd think.

figrin bran
08-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I see Optimus more as a blue lantern, nonetheless that would have been such an awesome crossover. I'm going to stick my Lego Supes, Bats and WW minifigs on the same shelf w. some TF's as a tribute to this epic that never was.

How is it that Airachnid is nowhere to be found now? I thought people hated that deluxe figure.

Chaddymac
08-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Much like the Newsroom, it seems that people love to hate it. Although, I don't hate her that much. The copter mode is really slick looking. If she's been $9, I doubt anyone else would've hated her either.

JediTricks
09-01-2012, 02:57 AM
I did a full photo review of MP Thundercracker: http://www.tfviews.com/news/toysandcollectibles/1573

Could be Seaspray, now that you mention it. I didn't put too much thought into it, since there are several guys on both sides with that head style. Wouldn't make sense to behead Seaspray and beat up Submarauder, unless the Atlanteans were against all Cybertronians. But that would seem like too much plot to throw into a teaser image for a proposal, I'd think.Atlanteans are kinda anti-everything, it wouldn't surprise me if they were hatin' on Autobot as much as Decepticon.

I see Optimus more as a blue lantern, nonetheless that would have been such an awesome crossover. I'm going to stick my Lego Supes, Bats and WW minifigs on the same shelf w. some TF's as a tribute to this epic that never was. Ha, awesome on the LEGO guys.

How is it that Airachnid is nowhere to be found now? I thought people hated that deluxe figure.

Much like the Newsroom, it seems that people love to hate it. Although, I don't hate her that much. The copter mode is really slick looking. If she's been $9, I doubt anyone else would've hated her either.I suspect that whole Airachnid wave was lightly ordered after the first wave choked pegs horribly, and stores are probably going to order right past it when they start ordering more. I returned her at $15 mainly on Peaugh's negative review - he is usually the only video reviewer I can ever stand AND he's fair while staying as positive as possible, and he DUUUUUUMPED on Airachnid so hard that I couldn't help but see the same flaws and wonder where my $15 was going on that figure (at the time, TRU was charging $15 while the other stores were charging $12), so I offered her on the forums and when nobody bit I returned her for cash. Peaugh actually THREW her into frame for the opening! I was dying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6gq5E0FZWg

So naturally now she's friggin' scalper-bait. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
09-02-2012, 05:57 PM
This book is a thing of beauty. It's the only book I'm following in floppies (not even Hama's Joe gets that treatment) and the only reason I'm actually making the drive to the nearest comic book shop this week and dealing with their @**hole employees.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=13460

The panel of Spike's eyes when Topspin reminds him he was Fortress Maximus... wow.

Darth Metalmute
09-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I sure hope they make a Transformers: Prime Shockwave. I really liked what they did with him.

Adam
09-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Just picked up Prime Sgt. Kup and Rumble. Both neat (if little) figures, both with some minor shoulder issues. I will talk them up some more tomorrow after work! (Also got Commander Skyquake, Battle Tactics Bulkhead, and Legion Tailgate. Oh, and MP Thundercracler and Arms Micron Swerve. :eagerness:)

JediTricks
09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Wow Chux, a real funnybook huh? I didn't follow the original Marvel books, so would this continuation be difficult for someone like me to follow?

Shockwave was quite the design in TFP last week, but I do wonder if they'll bother doing him above Commander-size since he's currently a 1-off character.

Kup is the Ironhide mold (or vice-versa), that's so weird, I'm not sure if i'll buy him when I see him in stores.

I am curious to hear thoughts on Rumble, the pics have been confusing so far and he wasn't at SDCC if I remember correctly.

Adam
09-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Rumble is a solid figure, if you can get over his massive kibble shoulders. The roof parts actually clip on to the shoulder so its not like they're just hovering there.. although I kind of prefer them lowered and hovering over his arms like shields. His pile drivers/cannons cover his hands and are fairly well done. They each have a 5mm hole on the underside of the barrel but I can't see what for. You can peg them both together, but it doesn't really look good (or even intentional) and it can be really difficult separating them. The drivers can be pegged onto the back of his shoulders or on his waist under his arms, although the latter version doesn't look that good IMO. As I mentioned yesterday he is pretty small; his head comes up to Knock Outs headlights in robot mode. The bulkiness of his shoulders makes up for it some what, and his small stature works for me since Rumble was always a small bot anyway. The sides of his vehicle mode stick up out of his back and can get in the way of the shoulders a bit, but it really only hinders more "dynamic" arm poses. The back kibble can be moved out of the way I guess, but then its kinda sticking out a bit. Shoulders and hips are ball jointed, knees are hinged, and and elbows are hinged ratchet joints. No wrist swivel. Head has the standard "revealer" gimmick for this line. The car mode could pass for an Arms Micron release with its woeful lack of detail paint. This is most likely because the entire roof is a transparent red piece, and had to be painted. Still, with figures getting smaller and the increased price point, its disappointing when the head lights are painted black and tail lights are not painted at all. Hasbro can do way better than this. Despite paint problems in alt mode, robot mode fairs much better, and I guess I personally would prefer paint for robot mode over alt mode since he will spend 90% of his time that way. I think he is a good figure with some minor flaws, specifically the way his shoulders are designed and his lack of detail paint apps in alt mode.

Darth Metalmute
09-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Shockwave was quite the design in TFP last week, but I do wonder if they'll bother doing him above Commander-size since he's currently a 1-off character.

I can't believe hes dead. Shockwave is too important of a character to kill off.

El Chuxter
09-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Wow Chux, a real funnybook huh? I didn't follow the original Marvel books, so would this continuation be difficult for someone like me to follow?

I don't think it'd be too tough. #80.5 does a good job of hitting the main points of the original series, and Furman's been pretty good so far about explaining past events in dialogue (as if #80 came out a month before #81 and nothing was different). There's also a reprint (100 Page Giant?) that reprints, IIRC, #76-#80, which are insanely expensive (although, for some reason, they apparently have to blur out Circuit Breaker or something, so I'm told).

The original series would definitely help, though.

JediTricks
09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Warning: MP-1 Optimus' Megatron Gun Disintegrating

After I photographed Starscream and Thundercracker last week, I picked up the Megatron handgun accessory I had given Starscream from the original Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Anyway, I had disassembled Megs to make sure nothing would break when I had moved and hadn't put it back together for quite some time. The gun, barrel, and scope all went on fine, but then the attachment slide on the stock instead of slipping over just crumbled into tiny pieces! It's only the hard plastic of that hinge which disintegrated, the soft PVC of the stock itself is fine, as is the rest of the hard plastic on the other accessories. I did nothing to break it, and upon close inspection it appears it truly was just disintegrating, that the plastic had broken down and was coming apart. I've never had another Transformers accessory do that. Anyway, I suspect it's either related to age or to the pressure from the rivet used to hold it to the stock, but either way it's something to watch out for, and it's not fixable.

Rumble is a solid figure, if you can get over his massive kibble shoulders. The roof parts actually clip on to the shoulder so its not like they're just hovering there.. although I kind of prefer them lowered and hovering over his arms like shields. His pile drivers/cannons cover his hands and are fairly well done. They each have a 5mm hole on the underside of the barrel but I can't see what for. You can peg them both together, but it doesn't really look good (or even intentional) and it can be really difficult separating them. The drivers can be pegged onto the back of his shoulders or on his waist under his arms, although the latter version doesn't look that good IMO. As I mentioned yesterday he is pretty small; his head comes up to Knock Outs headlights in robot mode. The bulkiness of his shoulders makes up for it some what, and his small stature works for me since Rumble was always a small bot anyway. The sides of his vehicle mode stick up out of his back and can get in the way of the shoulders a bit, but it really only hinders more "dynamic" arm poses. The back kibble can be moved out of the way I guess, but then its kinda sticking out a bit. Shoulders and hips are ball jointed, knees are hinged, and and elbows are hinged ratchet joints. No wrist swivel. Head has the standard "revealer" gimmick for this line. The car mode could pass for an Arms Micron release with its woeful lack of detail paint. This is most likely because the entire roof is a transparent red piece, and had to be painted. Still, with figures getting smaller and the increased price point, its disappointing when the head lights are painted black and tail lights are not painted at all. Hasbro can do way better than this. Despite paint problems in alt mode, robot mode fairs much better, and I guess I personally would prefer paint for robot mode over alt mode since he will spend 90% of his time that way. I think he is a good figure with some minor flaws, specifically the way his shoulders are designed and his lack of detail paint apps in alt mode.Good to know, sounds... challenging to spend $15 on for me, I like alt modes a lot and don't like kibble.

I can't believe hes dead. Shockwave is too important of a character to kill off.In this show, he wasn't terribly important, but I suspect they didn't kill him, he's either back on Cybertron (where he belongs :p) or he's lost in transwarp and will reappear when the Autobots need a break most.

I don't think it'd be too tough. #80.5 does a good job of hitting the main points of the original series, and Furman's been pretty good so far about explaining past events in dialogue (as if #80 came out a month before #81 and nothing was different). There's also a reprint (100 Page Giant?) that reprints, IIRC, #76-#80, which are insanely expensive (although, for some reason, they apparently have to blur out Circuit Breaker or something, so I'm told).

The original series would definitely help, though.Thanks. I'm not surprised Furman is so tight with the original run that he could knock it out so easily. Maybe I'll thumb through it next time I get to the shop.

Tycho
09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Warning: MP-1 Optimus' Megatron Gun Disintegrating

After I photographed Starscream and Thundercracker last week, I picked up the Megatron handgun accessory I had given Starscream from the original Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Anyway, I had disassembled Megs to make sure nothing would break when I had moved and hadn't put it back together for quite some time. The gun, barrel, and scope all went on fine, but then the attachment slide on the stock instead of slipping over just crumbled into tiny pieces! It's only the hard plastic of that hinge which disintegrated, the soft PVC of the stock itself is fine, as is the rest of the hard plastic on the other accessories. I did nothing to break it, and upon close inspection it appears it truly was just disintegrating, that the plastic had broken down and was coming apart. I've never had another Transformers accessory do that. Anyway, I suspect it's either related to age or to the pressure from the rivet used to hold it to the stock, but either way it's something to watch out for, and it's not fixable.

Thanks for the warning.

I'm not sure you didn't have it in adverse temperature conditions, however.

My little Megatron gun (that came with MP1 Optimus Prime as an accessory) is fine.

However, I display and do not play, relocate, or change my Transformers.

Chaddymac
09-05-2012, 04:15 PM
However, I display and do not play, relocate, or change my Transformers. Nor should you. :p

El Chuxter
09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
My Megatron's fine as well. I know you'd sacrifice the playability, but is it something that can be glued in place?

Thanks. I'm not surprised Furman is so tight with the original run that he could knock it out so easily. Maybe I'll thumb through it next time I get to the shop.

He also stated before the series started up that he'd re-read every Marvel issue, making notes of all the unresolved plot threads (which Budiansky was notorious for leaving around) and mapping out where every character was as of #80. In the first issue proper, a really obscure character named Berko (whom Furman had never used) shows up, and I had no doubt that he wasn't lying about that.

I think he wanted to avoid the issue Hama ran into--he used Sneak Peek in a situation that was logical, forgetting that he'd killed Sneak Peek years ago in one of the more poignant issues (Dusty carries his body back because he'd promised SP's mom that he would if anything happened to him). It was probably just a brainfart, but it evolved into a pretty cool cloak-and-dagger subplot because he had to come up with an explanation almost instantly.

I don't know if anyone's reading TFRG1, but it's selling out. Sadly, I think that's because comic stores are underordering it, and you've got people like me who want closure to the original series without the EXTREEEEEEME!!!!!1!!!! bloodbath that was G2. I really think, based on the new issue (and I hate using this term here because it sounds cheesy) that there's more to the story than meets the eye.

Adam
09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Good to know, sounds... challenging to spend $15 on for me, I like alt modes a lot and don't like kibble.

I'd say definitely try him out if deluxes get a price drop for the holidays. I think he is a pretty strong deluxe outside of the flaws.

Darth Metalmute
09-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm not too fond of Shockwave's voice in FOC: Transformers. Its the same voice as Knock-Out from Transformers: Prime.

JediTricks
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the warning.

I'm not sure you didn't have it in adverse temperature conditions, however.

My little Megatron gun (that came with MP1 Optimus Prime as an accessory) is fine.

However, I display and do not play, relocate, or change my Transformers.Well, I'm sure I didn't have it in "adverse temperature conditions" (seeing as ABS is thermoset plastic, I'd need to heat my apartment above 400 degrees to get it to disintegrate), and it never ever was in direct sunlight.

My Megatron's fine as well. I know you'd sacrifice the playability, but is it something that can be glued in place?It's disintegrated, there's now 6 or 7 tiny pieces, there's very little material left at that hinge, it'd require building an all-new hinge out of sculpy or something along those lines, and it's got to be removable because the darn thing doesn't even fit in most poses. I'm going to live without, I guess.

I'd say definitely try him out if deluxes get a price drop for the holidays. I think he is a pretty strong deluxe outside of the flaws.I must confess, that's a confusing statement.

I'm not too fond of Shockwave's voice in FOC: Transformers. Its the same voice as Knock-Out from Transformers: Prime.It's not actually Knock-Out's voice actor, it's TFP Starscream's voice actor doing an imitation of G1 narrator Vic Caroli, and to be honest it makes NO sense to me at all - Shockwave is now narrating all of Transformers? I didn't like a lot of the voice work in FOC though, so perhaps it's the game director's fault, too many generic-game-guy voices for characters instead of actors that sounded like Transformers.

Darth Metalmute
09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
It's not actually Knock-Out's voice actor, it's TFP Starscream's voice actor doing an imitation of G1 narrator Vic Caroli, and to be honest it makes NO sense to me at all - Shockwave is now narrating all of Transformers? I didn't like a lot of the voice work in FOC though, so perhaps it's the game director's fault, too many generic-game-guy voices for characters instead of actors that sounded like Transformers.

I didn't care for most of the voices either. Between watching the Shockwave TFP episode, and listening to him in FOC, for the life on me I can't even remember what G1 Shockwave sounds like now.

JediTricks
09-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I didn't care for most of the voices either. Between watching the Shockwave TFP episode, and listening to him in FOC, for the life on me I can't even remember what G1 Shockwave sounds like now.
It is odd, especially since they did a fairly good job with it only 3 years back on TF Animated.

figrin bran
09-10-2012, 04:37 PM
I thought I was adding Masterpiece Thundercracker into my cart on TRU.com around 30 min ago but of course, they sold out.

JediTricks
09-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I thought I was adding Masterpiece Thundercracker into my cart on TRU.com around 30 min ago but of course, they sold out.Sorry to hear that. None at my 2 TRUs today, but I am gonna try again tomorrow and will stash you one if I see it, or perhaps have them hold it behind the counter if you prefer.

Adam
09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I must confess, that's a confusing statement.

I was saying despite the two flaws that I mentioned, he is a pretty good deluxe.

figrin bran
09-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Today I struck back! Just ordered MP Thundercracker off of TRU.com!

In the meantime, I bought some Kreon micro changers during my fruitless searches and actually like the
quite a bit. Hopefully that product line doesn't tank before giving us a great lineup of characters.

JediTricks
09-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Preordered 2 Vehicons from HTS. I actually had 3 added to my cart but I guess there's a limit because it dropped it to 2. My notification email came in while the shuttle was flying overhead, so as soon as it passed I jumped onto HTS and grabbed 'em. :p

Also picked up FOC Jazz at TRU, the figure is pretty middling and Hasbro did an unacceptable job leaving the side windows unpainted (they even used black paint for the rear end), and the vehicle rear end is pretty lazy just leaving it open. That said, it's not outright terrible, although I confess I bought it for the character who was awesome in the game, not the quality of the toy itself.

Chaddymac
09-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, the Japanese version fixes the paint issues and then some. Bummer, cause I'm not paying that much for good paint.

JediTricks
09-21-2012, 05:56 PM
And with that, the HTS preorder is sold out. I roll my eyes.

The Japanese Jazz is better? Frustrating! If this mold was better, I'd do it, I really liked the character in the game, first version of Jazz I've liked since G1. Voice and personality were both right.

figrin bran
09-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the Vehicon alert JT! Ultimately I decided against getting any as I've two already and just ordered MP TC yesterday. I'll buy them IF I see at retail and since I found remnants of that TFP deluxe case with the DVD episodes, I might stumble upon some eventually.

Adam
09-30-2012, 03:29 AM
So I never really even talked about Kup at all, did I! I am getting Arms Micron Ironhide in a few days so I will just wait to comment until I get him as well.

El Chuxter
10-01-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm very uninterested in the MP offerings this year. Thundercracker is marred by some downright idiotic stickers, which might sound like a minor deal, but he's $70. Prime, well, the first is still one of the best figures ever made, and the simple addition of a trailer won't be nearly enough to entice me to spend a ton more for a new one.

Chaddymac
10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm very uninterested in the MP offerings this year. Thundercracker is marred by some downright idiotic stickers, which might sound like a minor deal, but he's $70. Prime, well, the first is still one of the best figures ever made, and the simple addition of a trailer won't be nearly enough to entice me to spend a ton more for a new one.
It's more than just the trailer. It's a better toy and is stronger in both modes because of the design changes. But I suppose if you are happy with the first one, the second won't appeal to you. But I do think that it eclipses the original.

JediTricks
10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm very uninterested in the MP offerings this year. Thundercracker is marred by some downright idiotic stickers, which might sound like a minor deal, but he's $70. Prime, well, the first is still one of the best figures ever made, and the simple addition of a trailer won't be nearly enough to entice me to spend a ton more for a new one.Thundercracker's pilot art - tail and fuselage - aren't stickers, they're painted. I think the tail art might be easy to scrape off as it's white paint on black plastic, the easiest to remove. The "say cheese" Reflector fuselage art is another thing altogether.

MP Optimus is not the same as the one from 5 years ago, it's an all-new figure that's got different stuff going on, an all-new sculpt that's less simplistic and features more of the character than the truck (and yet the truck mode also looks better). It's also a shorter scale though. But it has Roller, where the original MP trailer didn't. I bought the TRU exclusive preorder after seeing Chaddy's import version for only a few minutes.

It doesn't matter, you won't be able to find 'em anyway. :p

El Chuxter
10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I know he's all-new.

Thing is, it'd have to be one hell of an improvement to justify the price he'll cost if I am lucky enough to find him. Roller and the trailer aren't worth the cost.

Tycho
10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I saw but didn't buy the Cyberverse Cmdr. Ultra Magnus yesterday.

I'm really tempted but...

1) really just want figures that fit into display dioramas I plan on doing one day with mostly my movie TFs.

2) Hasbro doesn't make characters in the Cyberverse Cmdr Class scale that would go with Ultra Magnus from the TF age I wish to represent, meaning Cybv. Cmdr. Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Springer, and Rodimus Prime (with reg. sized CybV. Kup and Blurr though they do make Hot Rod - came as a bonus with that ROTF Bumblebee vs Soundwave WalMart exc.

Look, I'm into the whole toy hobby because I think these things are great, but I want to display certain on-scale pieces with one another in diorama type set-ups and that's all I have room for. I'll appreciate the rest as cool things in other people's collections which I can admire - like these MP Primes with trailers, etc. (because they ARE awesome!)

But a G1.5 set of Cyberverse scale figures makes a lot of sense to me.

Chaddymac
10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
No Arcee, huh?

Tycho
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't think they had a Cyberverse Arcee there.

First, while I haven't paid attention to pictures of that figure (I'd want a Deluxe or Cyberverse pink (or red) car from G1.5 and am considering that 3rd party deluxe), I'd imagine she's a motorcyle. Correct?

I'd used any and all repaints of the Knock Out Scout Class motorcycle for my movie-verse Arcee triplets - whatever the 3 most diverse and distinct color changes that were made were - and also employed the bikes that came with some Human Alliance cars like Jazz and Mudflap and Skids.

Unfortunately that's the way Michael Bay let her be presented - in triplicate.

I'd have rather she either have a real role (and she belongs with Gen 1.5 anyway!!!) or she not have been in the movie. If Bay had wanted to have the loss of a female programmed Autobot, there was Elita-One he could have used to help establish Optimus' murderous rage he displayed towards Decepticons starting by ROTF.

We went from "I'm sorry Brother" (Brother in Arms I imagine) concerning the elimination of Megatron in movie-one, to his repeated attempts to destroy Megatron's whole head and CPU in ROTF and finally in DOTM where he stepped on the fallen body and turned his heel, scrapping every piece of the basically pulverized Megatron into bits so small you couldn't rematerialize them as wing nuts.

If Elita-One had been established as a character and killed by Decepticons, then OK - it's like when Obi-Wan embraces an attack of the Dark Side to cut Maul in half to avenge Qui-gon. Good characters can be pushed too far and go bad. Anakin became Vader to save Padme, supposedly - but the writing was lacking and that too was not developed enough to be whole-heartedly believeable.

In fact, if Prime is going to stay being characterized by this, I think Shai LeBouf should be in TF4 long enough to be killed. Since Prime owes his life to Sam, I think this would keep him as "Michael Bay's angry Prime."

JediTricks has often complained to me that Prime is out of character (because of his anger and vengefulness). I've commented back that I enjoy this badazz Prime, but maybe we'd both be satisfied were there a believeable reason for it? Sam dying would pile it on for Prime (and BumbleBee).

Now you can retcon the movies to a flashback where Elita-One is built up and killed by Megatron, Grindor, BoneCrusher, The Fallen, or Demolisher (5 of Optimus' most brutal kills in the movies - as by comparison, he isn't show attacking Starscream with the same fervor, though maybe he just never got the chance and cutting Screamer's arm off sufficed in the time Prime had).

In Star Wars, Anakin is supposed to be set off by the loss of his mother, and the fear of losing Padme the same way. This is paramount for reasons giving rise to Darth Vader. He is also impatient with Obi-Wan, who learns temperance by contrast, having almost died himself by giving into his rage over the death of Qui-Gon. (Maul did disarm him and throw him into the reactor shaft, briefly gaining the upper hand until Obi-Wan reconnected with the Force).

A good story could be about Prime reconnecting with the wisdom of Cybertron's forefathers, the ancient Primes, as it's remembered in the Matrix (amidst the next big invasion or super-weapon crisis). This could be the inner-turmoil Prime faces against a Unicron or Galvatron type of backdrop.

Movie 4 still confounds me - with no Fallen, Sentinel Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, or Soundwave.

Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge could be entirely independent characters of the G1 predacessors - not built from their scraps - as this time Optimus didn't even leave their scraps (for anyone who actually did not see DOTM).

JediTricks
10-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I know he's all-new.

Thing is, it'd have to be one hell of an improvement to justify the price he'll cost if I am lucky enough to find him. Roller and the trailer aren't worth the cost.Roller, the trailer, the more intricate design on OP, the more character-accurate design coupled with a better truck, gun transforms, there's enough that I felt justified in ordering from the website. There are drawbacks too though.

My Vehicons shipped from HTS today, that's cool.

I opened TRU-exclusive Chinese Generations Cliffjumper. I'd already experienced this mold with TFP Zombie Cliff, but the G1-styled head and nice paint won me over. The head is almost weird with how G1-cartoon it is, and its eyes light pipe very blue. The new deco looks not terribly different from the TFP look, and this mold still has the same problems it did before - wonky shoulder articulation, hollow chest, fiddly transformation, tons of seams in alt mode - but the flip-over blasters make good glass gas nozzles, and sculpting really can pass for Generations.

Chaddymac
10-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I opened TRU-exclusive Chinese Generations Cliffjumper. I'd already experienced this mold with TFP Zombie Cliff, but the G1-styled head and nice paint won me over. The head is almost weird with how G1-cartoon it is, and its eyes light pipe very blue.

Just occured to me - would the head fit on Classics Cliffjumper?

figrin bran
10-02-2012, 11:06 PM
MP Thundercracker arrived this past Saturday but I think I will wait until my birthday next month to open him up.

I would love to have MP Optimus. I missed out on the preorders and despite the price tag, I'm sure he won't be easy to find in our local TRU's.

Chaddymac
10-02-2012, 11:58 PM
MP Thundercracker arrived this past Saturday but I think I will wait until my birthday next month to open him up.

I would love to have MP Optimus. I missed out on the preorders and despite the price tag, I'm sure he won't be easy to find in our local TRU's.

I read on another board that the second shipment of Op will come in late October to mid November and be in much higher quantities. Initially, TRU ordered a limited number, but decided thry wanted to make a big push for the holidays. Rather than push the release date, they put out the initial batch and will follow up later with a more significant shipment. Do not go the scalper route!!

Tycho
10-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Yes they did have Arcee (a motorcycle) in Cyberverse format sitting there.

I had to go back for cat food.

More interesting to me was a Mirage Cyberverse figure that might substitute fine for Dino from DOTM.

I didn't buy though. Don't know if I need that or not. It's something that I could find on eBay years later and might pay $12 for instead of the $5 I could get it for today. but I'm not worried.

figrin bran
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I read on another board that the second shipment of Op will come in late October to mid November and be in much higher quantities. Initially, TRU ordered a limited number, but decided thry wanted to make a big push for the holidays. Rather than push the release date, they put out the initial batch and will follow up later with a more significant shipment. Do not go the scalper route!!

Good to hear! And don't worry, I'll sooner go without than go the scalper route.

Maradona
10-05-2012, 07:11 AM
I read yesterday that Fortress Maximus is being rereleased for the Encore line. $329.99 on BBTS. Am I correct in stating that this is the equivalent of Hasbro reissuing the USS Flagg for GI Joe? I wonder if the Enocre line will have a variant Grand Maximus red colored reissue in. I think that only leaves Trypticon and Scorponok left to reissue for the Transformers on the larger side, but I might be wrong.

Tycho
10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Does anyone own:

Deluxe Shockwave: Fall of Cybertron (think that's the current one shipping)

Cyberverse Cmdr: Ultra Magnus

Cyberverse Galaxy (or whatever the basic line is called): Mirage

How are these figures?

I'm thinking about buying them and trying to find an excuse (*really necessary diorama to create) to buy them.

I like these characters. That's why.

El Chuxter
10-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Shockwave is awesome. I wish he had a classic-style arm cannon, but that's a minor consideration.

Darth Metalmute
10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
I have Shockwave, but not the others. Shckwave is great, but smaller than Soundwave from WFC.

Adam
10-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I read yesterday that Fortress Maximus is being rereleased for the Encore line. $329.99 on BBTS. Am I correct in stating that this is the equivalent of Hasbro reissuing the USS Flagg for GI Joe? I wonder if the Enocre line will have a variant Grand Maximus red colored reissue in. I think that only leaves Trypticon and Scorponok left to reissue for the Transformers on the larger side, but I might be wrong.

I would almost throw Overlord in with those. He's pretty big.

JediTricks
10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Just occured to me - would the head fit on Classics Cliffjumper?Good idea, but I don't know, my Classic BB is not around, and I think that mold requires a screw to get its head off. Worth looking into if you have that Classics Cliffjumper mold though, if it's not an instant swap it might be an easy custom. Of course, maybe the head is too small what with TFP figures (even FE molds) being a smaller scale.

I would love to have MP Optimus. I missed out on the preorders and despite the price tag, I'm sure he won't be easy to find in our local TRU's.I don't know how you can have enough patience to not open up TC. Congrats though on getting one.

No idea at this point, I suspect it'll move quick but I can see outcomes where it might not be scalper-fast.

I read yesterday that Fortress Maximus is being rereleased for the Encore line. $329.99 on BBTS. Am I correct in stating that this is the equivalent of Hasbro reissuing the USS Flagg for GI Joe? I wonder if the Enocre line will have a variant Grand Maximus red colored reissue in. I think that only leaves Trypticon and Scorponok left to reissue for the Transformers on the larger side, but I might be wrong.The Flagg is 7 and a half feet long. As big as Fort Max is compared to other TFs, he's only 2' tall.

Does anyone own:

Deluxe Shockwave: Fall of Cybertron (think that's the current one shipping)

Cyberverse Cmdr: Ultra Magnus

Cyberverse Galaxy (or whatever the basic line is called): Mirage

How are these figures?

I'm thinking about buying them and trying to find an excuse (*really necessary diorama to create) to buy them.

I like these characters. That's why.I have Shockwave, it's very good.

I have Cyb Ultra Magnus, it's not that great, kind of middling. Design has too much clear stuff in bot mode and is a bit heavy on the kibble. Also doesn't remind me much of the G1 character. And the shoulders don't stay in place well, the hips don't stay on well.

I don't have Legion Mirage, it's a repaint of movie 2 Sideways with 2 new holes added, so if you have that Legion / Legends figure then you already know what this is... except in red.

figrin bran
10-08-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't know how you can have enough patience to not open up TC. Congrats though on getting one.

I have a lot of things to worry about currently so I haven't really had time to sit down and open it up. Plus it would be nice to have something as great as this to open up on my birthday ;)

I picked up Cyberverse Skyquake yesterday. Paint apps on him are much, much sharper than on my Cyberverse Dreadwing who has quite a bit of paint bleed on him.

Tycho
10-09-2012, 10:36 AM
I never owned a little Sideways from ROTF.

I think those Legends class figures (think those were the ones smaller than Scouts) didn't work for me - mostly because they were all the same size whereas characters like Prime, which I did buy, should have been much larger than Sideways (which is why I did NOT buy).

What I want is a transforming Dino (Mirage?) from DOTM in that size and now they make the slightly larger Commander Class Cyberverse, which is more appropriate for Megatron (and Starscream from DOTM should have an F-22 figure that size as well!)

But there were to be no Ferraris :(

JediTricks
10-10-2012, 03:15 PM
My pair of TFP Vehicons arrived in the mail yesterday. The Vehicon is an excellent figure. I paid $20 per figure with shipping and tax from HTS, so that's not a bad price - it'd have been $16 with tax if I found it in store. The figure is small like other TFP figures but the sculpt and transformation almost make the value work on this set.

Alt mode looks great, even if they did pointlessly skimp on paint (really, the grille paint mask would have cost that much more?!? C'mon! You're already using that paint either way), the ground clearance is a sliver, but it does clear - the wheels don't roll that well due to their odd hub design but they work on mousepads or anything with traction. The gun fights to attach to the fenders, it's a tight fit, but after a little effort it fits and looks alright.

Transformation is a delight. Not too many steps, not too simple. The whole thing is a shellformer, but the shell parts turn into boots and decent-looking ones at that. The arms are challenging to transform back to alt mode due to the odd jointing, but otherwise this is a good one in both directions.

Bot mode is nearly perfect. They saved most of the paint for this mode, with silver and purple in a lot of places. The eye visor lightpipes a nice purple color. The bot looks good, the arms are a bit odd at the elbow but a little posing and it gets away with it. The gun attaches to either forearm, but the left one is far easier than the right; it also has a standard peg he can hold in either claw.

I'd say this is the second-best figure in the line so far, nipping at Wheeljack's heels.

El Chuxter
10-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I paid attention to Prime Wheeljack for the first time today. He actually looks more like G1 Wheeljack than the Classics/Generations/Reveal the Shield/Whatever It Is This Week figure.

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Ugh, the images and panel details coming out of NYCC for TF are bad bad bad. Beast Hunters looks like almost a total wash except for Smokescreen's Cyberverse vehicle, but everything else looks terrible. No news on MPs except they're looking into it. It just feels like they're entirely on the wrong path now. The weird stuff they're doing with Beast Hunters, there isn't a single figure in there - new or revisited - that looks any good at all, and to bring back that awful Bumblebee figure YET AGAIN is just a slap in the face to the brand.

Tycho
10-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Why don't they make a fully transforming Masterpiece Ultra Magnus with no removeable building block or add-on parts for the trailer (but fully transforming) like the Titanium?

Then do Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, and a triple-changing Masterpiece Springer at the largest scale possible (maybe a PAV-LO or Black Hawk converting into a military truck like DOTM Megatron, but for Springer's 2nd alt mode)?

Maybe make a ROTF MP Fallen while they're at it?

Adam
10-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Why don't they make a fully transforming Masterpiece Ultra Magnus with no removeable building block or add-on parts for the trailer (but fully transforming) like the Titanium? Takara seems to split between toy accuracy and matching the cartoon for their new MPs. (Sideswipe/RedAlert) So who knows. We DO know that Magnus was considered at one point at least when they released a blurry picture of a mock up of the armor.

Darth Metalmute
10-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Finally found Vehicon. It was the first edition one. Can't wait to open it.

Tycho
10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Good find.

Would people here be interested in a masterpiece Cyclonus? Gen1.5 style.

Darth Metalmute
10-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Finally got a chance to open Vehicon. What a complicated transformation. The figure and vehicle look nice, but it felt like it took 20 minutes to transform. Does anyone know how to get him to hold his gun?

Edit: Just figured it out thanks to JT's previous post and some experimenting. The fact that they threw a peg onto the gun and placed peg holes behind his wrist threw me off.

El Chuxter
10-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I want Rung, Overlord, and the Decepticon Justice Division.

I guess Hasbro'll get on that right after they make Krake and IDW-accurate versions of Croc Master and Crystal Ball. :(

Chaddymac
10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
I want Rung, Overlord, and the Decepticon Justice Division.

I guess Hasbro'll get on that right after they make Krake and IDW-accurate versions of Croc Master and Crystal Ball. :(

I count myself lucky that they made MP Soundwave and his minions. If they make a new improved Megatron like they did with MP-10, then that genie I ran across last year was the real deal.

Tycho
10-29-2012, 11:51 PM
C'mon guys. Where are the 1986 Cyclonus fans clamoring for his SWEET MP edition?

He'd be easier than a completely attached and transforming (no "Lego Parts") ARMORED Ultra Magnus that forms his trailer without detaching parts (like the Titanium does) to begin with.

Then what about Galvatron (very nicely resculpted and not blocky like the original) and Scourge? The latter could be a real hovercraft type of vehicle, or maybe more like the drawing board plans for a new, larger styled space shuttle). It could be offered in the realistic white and the repaint in the Gen 1.5 baby blue.

Then an actual triple-changing Springer with a much cooler ground mode than before - something that looks like an actual vehicle - perhaps an armored personnel carrier, and converts into an actual helicopter from reality, and on top of that, is colored like the real military vehicles (but an alternate "80's Neon-Green" could be available as the repaint).

Anyway, we have Rodimus and the Deluxe Kup and Blurr were great. Now bring on Arcee and maybe make Wreck-Gar as a Cyberverse Commander and he'll sort of be able to stand in an actual scale with the others in their respective sizes.

JediTricks
10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't want MP Cyclonus, and after seeing the mediocrity of MP Sideswipe, I don't think I want MP anything else if it's that expensive and mediocre.

Adam
11-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Mediocrity of MP Sideswipe? :cold:

I got mine the other day; he's pretty damn near perfect. I've seen some people have had paint issues but still admit the figure is fantastic otherwise.

figrin bran
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm still not finding TRU MP Prime but I did get an FE Vehicon in the process.

Also received FE Optimus and Bulkhead in the mail. Voyager Dreadwing along with deluxe Kup and Vehicon should be arriving from HTS pretty soon.

Tycho
11-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I really like Deluxe Kup - you're talking the Generations one?

JediTricks
11-05-2012, 05:14 PM
TRU just billed me for MP Prime and the sent an email saying they had to delay and wouldn't know when he's shipping, could be a month. I don't really know what the hell the point of that was, maybe they got in an early batch and billed everybody, then realized they didn't have enough to go around and Hasbro wasn't clear on the timing of the next batch, but that's just a guess. I'll hold on, if I see it in stores I'll pick it up there instead but won't actively hunt.

Mediocrity of MP Sideswipe? :cold:

I got mine the other day; he's pretty damn near perfect. I've seen some people have had paint issues but still admit the figure is fantastic otherwise.Glad to hear you like yours. It looks mediocre to me based on images and info out there at its $70 pricetag, it's smaller than an Alternators, doesn't have working doors, has a bulk of kibble under the vehicle mode tail, lacks die-cast metal and rubber tire elements, and has those weird hollow boots, so at the $70 plus import right now that comes off as mediocre to me.

Bran, you gonna open FE OP and Bulkhead? I'm curious how the US releases on those are, I want them both.

No Tycho, he means Kup from the TF:Prime line, based on the Ironhide design.

Tycho
11-05-2012, 07:15 PM
No Tycho, he means Kup from the TF:Prime line, based on the Ironhide design.

Well, I liked that one too, especially since the original was a RED Ironhide like back in the G1 days. I always liked the character and Peter Cullen created the voice for him as well Prime, back in the day.

I think when G1.5 came around, Kup was supposed to be the surrogate Ironhide.

Ultra Magnus was a brave and courageous soldier, but he didn't exhuberate a lot of smarts from experience the way Kup did.

Don't get me started on Rodimus Prime....

Actually, if Kup and Ultra Magnus led the Autobots in the G1.5 era, things would have gone a lot better - with Springer as a field sergeant / air commander.

Hot Rod / Rodimus ought to have been left high and dry on a repair bay auto lift in his alt mode with his transformation cog removed.

El Chuxter
11-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I saw the FOC Combaticons today. Grabbed them all and tossed them in the cart (they had one of each), then noticed the shelf tag. $15.47. :eek: I had almost $80 worth of figures in the cart, and they were five figures who didn't look like they were worth that much. I put them all back. These Deluxe suckers were $10 two years ago, and they've shrunk since then, too. I might eventually get the four limbs and display them with the old Classics Onslaught (who's scaled properly, even if they don't combine), but, holy crap, that was way too much for those figures, especially with Swindle being the only Combaticon anyone gives a fart about.

Tycho
11-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I agree with your post to a large extent.

Michael Bay's movies might have injured interest in the Combaticons, too:

Megatron became Onslaught by alt-form (in a way)
Blackout and Grindor replaced Vortex and were both destroyed
Devastator was still incorrectly named - because it was Brawl even on the toys and then the "real" Devastor came in ROTF
There has not ever been a space shuttle (for Blast Off) but if there is one, it should be Astrotrain anyway.
There is not Jeep, however Hound would be a great Autobot choice, so maybe Swindle could be a HumVee to change it up.

That the Deluxe are now $15 in a bad economy means what?

1) Hasbro deliberately priced the movie Deluxes at or even below cost to generate new repeat business - kind of like giving out free samples of cocaine to hook in new addicts.

2) Hasbro's costs went up so they passed them along to us.

3) Hasbro's employees are living beyond their means, so they want us to bail them out. C'mon - buy Bruticus to pay for Aaron Archer's flat screen. You know you want to!

El Chuxter
11-05-2012, 11:55 PM
After tax, more than $16 apiece. $80 for a combiner with an undersized torso is way outrageous. That's convention exclusive pricing there, not what I expect to see at Walmart.

El Chuxter
11-06-2012, 12:09 AM
BTW, why is it that Hasbro has never done a proper TF/Joe crossover line? That'd seem like a major no-brainer. Sure, there'd be some major tooling costs for the TF's, but Joes could be existing parts, and they could sell them at a higher price to make up for the new, larger molds.

Tell me you wouldn't drop $100 easy for a 3.75"-scaled Generation 2 Megatron that transforms and comes with Cobra Commander (and, heck, to make the deal sweeter, kitbash a Dr. Biggles-Jones from the ROC Cover Girl and Rex Lewis, too).

Darth Metalmute
11-06-2012, 05:30 PM
After tax, more than $16 apiece. $80 for a combiner with an undersized torso is way outrageous. That's convention exclusive pricing there, not what I expect to see at Walmart.

You should have put them in Layaway. That way, when the price drops, you could pick them up.:encouragement:

figrin bran
11-07-2012, 11:11 AM
JT, it seems that all of the FE Optimus, or at least the ones BBTS received, have a panel under the side windows that was not painted red. Makes the alt mode look not very good at all so I guess I'll keep the mainline TFP Voyager Prime in truck mode. The FE bot mode is excellent though.

I haven't played around with FE Bulkhead as much but he doesn't seem like the vastly superior upgrade to the other Voyager Bulkhead that others claim him to be. There's still gaps from the side in bot mode.

Anyhow, I ordered MP Prime from TRU.com yesterday...however, the card I used got hacked with 2 unauthorized charges yesterday and with my lack of luck, I fear my order may not go through.

JediTricks
11-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Got FE Starscream yesterday at TRU. A pretty nice figure, looks way better than the Voyager release, articulation is very expressive, and paint is pretty good. Vehicle mode takes a hit with

I saw the FOC Combaticons today. Grabbed them all and tossed them in the cart (they had one of each), then noticed the shelf tag. $15.47. :eek: I had almost $80 worth of figures in the cart, and they were five figures who didn't look like they were worth that much. I put them all back. These Deluxe suckers were $10 two years ago, and they've shrunk since then, too. I might eventually get the four limbs and display them with the old Classics Onslaught (who's scaled properly, even if they don't combine), but, holy crap, that was way too much for those figures, especially with Swindle being the only Combaticon anyone gives a fart about.That Swindle figure ain't much to talk about either, it's a rather lame mold. I feel ya on the pricepoint angle, especially with these compromise-laden figures. And there's a rumor the price on them is going up to $20.

BTW, why is it that Hasbro has never done a proper TF/Joe crossover line? That'd seem like a major no-brainer. Sure, there'd be some major tooling costs for the TF's, but Joes could be existing parts, and they could sell them at a higher price to make up for the new, larger molds.

Tell me you wouldn't drop $100 easy for a 3.75"-scaled Generation 2 Megatron that transforms and comes with Cobra Commander (and, heck, to make the deal sweeter, kitbash a Dr. Biggles-Jones from the ROC Cover Girl and Rex Lewis, too).I suspect either the holdup is the producers of the original crossover comics being varied (Marvel, Dreamwave, and Devil's Due), or they don't see a mass market crossover appeal at the pricepoint (Megatron as a tank that can also transform would be much more complex than the average HISS toy).

JT, it seems that all of the FE Optimus, or at least the ones BBTS received, have a panel under the side windows that was not painted red. Makes the alt mode look not very good at all so I guess I'll keep the mainline TFP Voyager Prime in truck mode. The FE bot mode is excellent though.

I haven't played around with FE Bulkhead as much but he doesn't seem like the vastly superior upgrade to the other Voyager Bulkhead that others claim him to be. There's still gaps from the side in bot mode.

Anyhow, I ordered MP Prime from TRU.com yesterday...however, the card I used got hacked with 2 unauthorized charges yesterday and with my lack of luck, I fear my order may not go through.Ugh, that's frustrating to hear about FE Optimus. I am not sure I'd ditch it for that, though.

The front of RID Bulkhead is so far off the mark that the FE looked like it couldn't avoid being superior, so I'm quite surprised to hear it.

Sorry to hear about your card being hacked, that sucks!

Chaddymac
11-07-2012, 04:56 PM
The front of RID Bulkhead is so far off the mark that the FE looked like it couldn't avoid being superior, so I'm quite surprised to hear it.

I have an FE Bulkhead from Canada and he's awesome. Just the fact that he doesn't have fakey transformation panels makes him superior to the PRID release IMHO. I have BBTS' FE Prime in my pile'o'loot. Waiting for the next set of Generation figures to have him shipped. I'm disappointed that the panel is unpainted, but I'll survive.

figrin bran
11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
What I should have said is that FE Bulkhead > the other Voyager Bulkhead but still isn't perfect. And despite the unprinted panels, I do recommend FE Optimus, even if you only keep him in bot mode. To me he has more character than just about every recent Optimus Prime mold.

El Chuxter
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I suspect either the holdup is the producers of the original crossover comics being varied (Marvel, Dreamwave, and Devil's Due), or they don't see a mass market crossover appeal at the pricepoint (Megatron as a tank that can also transform would be much more complex than the average HISS toy).
Hasbro owns the rights to almost all of them and licenses them to IDW. IDW's been quite good about reprinting everything they can. The only issue is the Dreamwave stuff, which is somehow still in limbo because of their bankruptcy, but, somehow, IDW was able to reprint the More Than Meets the Eye guidebooks.

I didn't mean this should even be a full line, just one or a few high-end pieces. Not just repaints like the Comic-Con stuff. It'd have to be expensive but, aside from the Masterpiece reissues, they don't put out much, if any, higher end collector-geared stuff. Even the things like the PIT or Unicron or the BMF Falcon are technically just really large toys for kids that happen to be nicely done.

G2 Megatron with Cobra Commander and Dr. Biggles-Jones. I'm serious. (Yes, I know she's insanely minor, but she actually built that G2 body in the comic, and it would be a cool way to release a character who otherwise would never be produced.)

JediTricks
11-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I have an FE Bulkhead from Canada and he's awesome. Just the fact that he doesn't have fakey transformation panels makes him superior to the PRID release IMHO. I have BBTS' FE Prime in my pile'o'loot. Waiting for the next set of Generation figures to have him shipped. I'm disappointed that the panel is unpainted, but I'll survive.

What I should have said is that FE Bulkhead > the other Voyager Bulkhead but still isn't perfect. And despite the unprinted panels, I do recommend FE Optimus, even if you only keep him in bot mode. To me he has more character than just about every recent Optimus Prime mold.Thanks for the feedback, guys. I am big on seeing a figure transformed to alt mode and back, so that panel will bother me quite a bit. I'm not sure at this point, I already have the SDCC dlx-sized TFP Optimus which scales well to the RID Voyager Megatron, but that FE Optimus did look like a really nice sculpt and I think TRU lowered their price below $27 recently.

Hasbro owns the rights to almost all of them and licenses them to IDW. IDW's been quite good about reprinting everything they can. The only issue is the Dreamwave stuff, which is somehow still in limbo because of their bankruptcy, but, somehow, IDW was able to reprint the More Than Meets the Eye guidebooks.

I didn't mean this should even be a full line, just one or a few high-end pieces. Not just repaints like the Comic-Con stuff. It'd have to be expensive but, aside from the Masterpiece reissues, they don't put out much, if any, higher end collector-geared stuff. Even the things like the PIT or Unicron or the BMF Falcon are technically just really large toys for kids that happen to be nicely done.

G2 Megatron with Cobra Commander and Dr. Biggles-Jones. I'm serious. (Yes, I know she's insanely minor, but she actually built that G2 body in the comic, and it would be a cool way to release a character who otherwise would never be produced.)It's not that simple, apparently, or we'd already have 'em. We did have the Megatron based on that series in the Titanium line, but it wasn't very good or very Joe.

Tycho
11-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Mark Wahlberg is confirmed for Transformers 4!

Maybe they'll do Beast Wars and there will be Optimus Primal and Mark's character will have to prove to the government that he's not dangerous and he came to life only because they were working on a cure for Windows 8.

El Chuxter
11-10-2012, 12:27 AM
We did have the Megatron based on that series in the Titanium line, but it wasn't very good or very Joe.

There's a Legends figure at Big Lots and Dollar General now of him as well. Isn't one of the China/TRU exclusives also a Megatron who's a repaint of ROTF Bludgeon with a new head?

Adam
11-10-2012, 11:53 PM
We did have the Megatron based on that series in the Titanium line, but it wasn't very good or very Joe.

Wow, what the understatement that is! That toy was absolute TRASH.

Glad to hear you like yours. It looks mediocre to me based on images and info out there at its $70 pricetag, it's smaller than an Alternators, doesn't have working doors, has a bulk of kibble under the vehicle mode tail, lacks die-cast metal and rubber tire elements, and has those weird hollow boots, so at the $70 plus import right now that comes off as mediocre to me.

I understand why anyone would not jump on it for $70. That being said I'm totally fine with how much I paid for it. I think the lack of working doors and the bulk under the alt mode is just a side effect of keeping the figure in scale with MP-10 and still achieving the G1 accurate in both modes look they were going for. MP Sideswipe may be smaller than Alternators, but he is much better figure by far than anything from that line. I'm pretty glad there is no die-cast; its a highly overrated aspect of older Transformers IMO. Rubber tires would be nice, but it doesn't bother me either way and I have trouble understanding why its such an issue for some. Oh well.

I got Prime Ultra Magnus and Thundertron off of Amazon and they arrived today. Magnus is perfectly OK, although his shoulders could be better articulation wise. Although they are ball-joints they are limited. His hammer is the first "mech tech" weapon from this line that is not complete junk. It actually resembles a gun in one mode and makes a suitable hammer in the other. It has a tab that locks the thing into hammer mode which is VERY much appreciated. Magnus doesn't quite reach the level of the FE voyagers, but he is a pretty decent one. Thundertron I like quite a bit. He is surprisingly stable using the peg leg. The peg leg makes no sense in some respects though since the beast mode has the foot pegged on.. so why does he need the peg leg?? Still it's neat, and it works pretty well. The removable foot as a claw weapon is pretty meh though. I removed the spring from the claw/sword mech tech weapon which allows the sword to be extended without springing back. It's actually pretty good like this. I may eventually look into removing the battery box so it is not quite so bulky. Two decent mech tech like weapon in a row?? *gasp* I like how the claws that rest over his shoulders peg in to the back and do not interfere with the arm articulation. Bot mod articulation is pretty good in general. One quibble I have is that the sliders the hips are on to go from beast to bot mod doesn't seem to lock in in bot mode so they tend to separate while I messed with him. Beast mode is pretty limited in pose-ability due to the way the robot arms and beast mode arms interact. Beast mode looks OK as a whole, but could certainly benefit from more articulation. Thundertron is a bit above Ultra Magnus in my book, possibly pretty close to the FE voyagers in robot mode.

Chaddymac
11-11-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree with your reviews of Magnus and Thundertron (does that mean I should give in and buy Lambor?... Ugh, maybe...) Anyway, Magnus would rank higher if the plastic had a little more heft to it and if the ball joints ANYWHERE on the figure were at all tight. I agree, though - why all mechtech weapons don't have a locking tab, I'll never know. RID Megatron would be a much cooler figure in my book if he did.

JediTricks
11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
I understand why anyone would not jump on it for $70. That being said I'm totally fine with how much I paid for it. I think the lack of working doors and the bulk under the alt mode is just a side effect of keeping the figure in scale with MP-10 and still achieving the G1 accurate in both modes look they were going for. MP Sideswipe may be smaller than Alternators, but he is much better figure by far than anything from that line. I'm pretty glad there is no die-cast; its a highly overrated aspect of older Transformers IMO. Rubber tires would be nice, but it doesn't bother me either way and I have trouble understanding why its such an issue for some. Oh well. What about it is better than an Alternators figure? I have only seen pics, so I don't know, but the sculpting doesn't look crisper, it doesn't look better-articulated, I'm quite curious to hear where there is value in this piece because I'm sure at some point I'm going to have to decide on getting it in a US release.

I agree with your reviews of Magnus and Thundertron (does that mean I should give in and buy Lambor?... Ugh, maybe...) Anyway, Magnus would rank higher if the plastic had a little more heft to it and if the ball joints ANYWHERE on the figure were at all tight. I agree, though - why all mechtech weapons don't have a locking tab, I'll never know. RID Megatron would be a much cooler figure in my book if he did.After your purchase of MP-10, I am surprised to hear you hadn't bought Lambor already, in fact I said something the other day to Bikerscout about maybe Chaddy bought one and will show it off. :D

RID Megatron doesn't need a locking tab for his sword, the blades are on friction-slip posts, you can just swing them out without the gearing. It's Optimus and Starscream and Dreadwing's weapons that seem like they need the help most, and that's part of why I haven't bought them (I was considering Dreadwing until I saw that horrible kibble they left under the fuselage in vehicle mode, and he has the same crap shoulder design as Megatron it seems).

Chaddymac
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
After your purchase of MP-10, I am surprised to hear you hadn't bought Lambor already, in fact I said something the other day to Bikerscout about maybe Chaddy bought one and will show it off. :D

I just bought him. He'll be here Friday. Expect the announcement for Sideswipe's stateside release to be imminent, as that is my lot in life.

JediTricks
11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
I just bought him. He'll be here Friday. Expect the announcement for Sideswipe's stateside release to be imminent, as that is my lot in life.
You are too funny, man! At least you won't hear about Sideswipe releasing until February at the earliest. ;)

Chaddymac
11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
You are too funny, man! At least you won't hear about Sideswipe releasing until February at the earliest. ;)

Hopefully they announce Soundwave and his tapes as well. That'd be sweet.

Adam
11-13-2012, 02:14 AM
What about it is better than an Alternators figure? I have only seen pics, so I don't know, but the sculpting doesn't look crisper, it doesn't look better-articulated, I'm quite curious to hear where there is value in this piece because I'm sure at some point I'm going to have to decide on getting it in a US release.

Well he is certainly more poseable and looks much better than his Alt counter-part, which is the one I had in my head for my earlier comments. Comparing him to lets say, Smokescreen, I think Sideswipe fairs better articulation wise. The waist joint has full 360 degree rotation, even in the wider leg stance pose I have him in right now. Speaking of the legs, they have much more range at the hips; he can easily do a high kick pose and can hold it with some weight balance/fidgeting. Sideswipe doesn't have the double hinged elbow that Smokescreen has, but he does have an upper arm swivel at the base of his shoulder. I prefer that swivel over the double hinge elbow. The hands are similar, and both toys weapons plug in similarly albeit with different shaped pegs. Sideswipe's hands are better proportioned though, where as Smokescreen's always seemed a little too large. The wrists on Swipe are swivel as opposed to Smoke's ball-joint. I'm not sure I really have a preference on that aspect. Both heads have a 360 rotation; Smoke has a better up and down range, but Sideswipe's range is enough to be satisfying.

One of the big aspects for this toy is his transformation: much like MP-10 the transformation to and from bot mode is complex enough for a Masterpiece toy, but never frustrating. That is a big problem I always had with Alternators. Some of them I had to practice in order to get their transformation down, and even afterwards there would be some frustrating bits. Sideswipe to me is fun to transform, and I've probably converted him more in the short time that I've owned him than other TF's I've owned for years.

Chaddymac
11-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Well he is certainly more poseable and looks much better than his Alt counter-part, which is the one I had in my head for my earlier comments. Comparing him to lets say, Smokescreen, I think Sideswipe fairs better articulation wise. The waist joint has full 360 degree rotation, even in the wider leg stance pose I have him in right now. Speaking of the legs, they have much more range at the hips; he can easily do a high kick pose and can hold it with some weight balance/fidgeting. Sideswipe doesn't have the double hinged elbow that Smokescreen has, but he does have an upper arm swivel at the base of his shoulder. I prefer that swivel over the double hinge elbow. The hands are similar, and both toys weapons plug in similarly albeit with different shaped pegs. Sideswipe's hands are better proportioned though, where as Smokescreen's always seemed a little too large. The wrists on Swipe are swivel as opposed to Smoke's ball-joint. I'm not sure I really have a preference on that aspect. Both heads have a 360 rotation; Smoke has a better up and down range, but Sideswipe's range is enough to be satisfying.

One of the big aspects for this toy is his transformation: much like MP-10 the transformation to and from bot mode is complex enough for a Masterpiece toy, but never frustrating. That is a big problem I always had with Alternators. Some of them I had to practice in order to get their transformation down, and even afterwards there would be some frustrating bits. Sideswipe to me is fun to transform, and I've probably converted him more in the short time that I've owned him than other TF's I've owned for years.
Squee! I can't:
A) Wait to get mine!
B) Hold back my enthusiasm for this mold!
C) Believe I spent over $80 for him
D) All of the above

JetsAndHeels
11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Masterpiece Prime is awesome. I got mine last week and absolutely love it.

JediTricks
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Amazon charged my card for G2 Bruticus today, and I just got an email that it shipped and will be here Friday. It never rains but pours - final wave of SW TVC, MP Prime showing up later today, and now G2 Bruticus all in the course of 2 weeks despite them supposed to have shipped a month apart each.

EDIT: AAAH! Annoying! They're using FedEx Smartpost which means I'm at the mercy of the Post Office to deliver Bruticus, maybe it'll show up at 9am Friday, maybe it'll show up next week.

Hopefully they announce Soundwave and his tapes as well. That'd be sweet.Yeah, that'd be nice, something to look forward to. But I bet they wouldn't announce that until Botcon or SDCC.

One of the big aspects for this toy is his transformation: much like MP-10 the transformation to and from bot mode is complex enough for a Masterpiece toy, but never frustrating. That is a big problem I always had with Alternators. Some of them I had to practice in order to get their transformation down, and even afterwards there would be some frustrating bits. Sideswipe to me is fun to transform, and I've probably converted him more in the short time that I've owned him than other TF's I've owned for years.Thanks for the 411. I'm still not convinced I am hearing 4x the value on Swipe, but I'll keep it in mind.

Adam
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
I can't fault anyone for waiting for a Hasbro release. I started wholesaling Arms Micron figures awhile back so its a little cheaper for me to pick up the MP's as well.

El Chuxter
11-14-2012, 09:11 PM
EDIT: AAAH! Annoying! They're using FedEx Smartpost which means I'm at the mercy of the Post Office to deliver Bruticus, maybe it'll show up at 9am Friday, maybe it'll show up next week.
Friday? You overestimate them. The Smartpost BS makes it take at least a day longer than either FedEx or the Postal Service would take alone.

JediTricks
11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Friday? You overestimate them. The Smartpost BS makes it take at least a day longer than either FedEx or the Postal Service would take alone.I know how it works - FedEx delivers to the PO who delivers it to me, but Amazon Prime is fast, the package is already in California and might be delivered in a few minutes, or Saturday, Monday, or who knows. If it doesn't get here today, I'm going to complain to Amazon about the inadequacy of using Smartpost for Prime shipping though, it's unacceptable that a hefty annual fee for free 2 day shipping gets occasionally saddled with a shipping method known for its inability to deliver in a reasonable manner.

My MP Prime finally showed up, they didn't even ring the doorbell, I had checked the door 5 minutes prior to find nothing, and then got an email saying it was delivered and there it was. TRU's shipping method wasn't that great, just 1 airpack and it got punctured when they closed the box, luckily nothing was actually wrong with the packaged item within.

First impressions:

The packaging is a bit awkward, it's a rectangular window box attached to a cardboard flared base. Prime is off to the side holding the matrix chamber open, while his trailer and goodies take up the rest of the box. The main tray is lopsided at the bottom which makes standing outside the box impossible. Getting most out was easy, Prime also has rubber bands running through his chest holding a small tray over the matrix in his chest and getting those bands out requires transforming partway. The instructions are hard to find, they're in the window box but under the thick back insert at the bottom.

Prime and the trailer have rubber wheels. Prime has die-cast toe chunks and heelspurs, and the matrix is die-cast with a clear blue plastic crystal at the center.

The trailer is pretty nifty, although hard to open the main halves. The swing out base legs with the geared feet that drop down are a nice touch. The trailer interior has a lot of sculpted relief detail but no paint, and feels like it could have another thing going on, the fold-down seats are an odd touch but not unwelcome. There are no missiles for the manned repair / battle pod, but the trailer has fold-down doors on the top to let that pod stick out the top with the trailer closed around it.

Prime's truck looks really nice, easily the best truck mode so far. This set is a good representation of the experience of that original G1 Prime. The truck of course takes a lot of liberties - the high rear deck and the tiny side windows and sculpted doors - but overall it just holds up as being a nice-looking solid truck-like thing. The truck isn't as solid as it looks, there are a few panels that need massaging, but mainly it's not difficult. There are some fit & finish issues from using so much plastic though, panels that don't seat or line up quite right including the back of the truck. They left the toe chunks/truck tail unpainted. There's still no actual 5th-wheel although the pretense of one was barely sculpted on the legs. The trailer has the swivel with a pair of prongs that plugs into the truck.

The transformation is interesting, not as frustrating in the chest as MP-1, but still has a lot going on that requires things happening at specific times.

The bot looks pretty good, the proportions are more towards the cartoon look, which means smaller head, and the only real difference to the cartoon look is the smaller rectangular windows for the chest rather than the big square ones on the show. The arms seem a touch too long, but largely it looks good. It's quite different from MP-1, and considerably smaller which gives it more of an accessible feeling, a toy you could reasonably pick up and pose and interact with. The only die-cast metal are the toe chunks, heel spurs, and a small part of the spine/torso. The matrix requires the crystal at the center to be facing inwards for the chest to close fully, and even then it doesn't quite get there by a few millimeters. The chest doors don't close that well in general though, sitting at slightly mismatched heights due to the hinge pin shot through the plastic at slightly different angles - this is a common Hasbro manufacturing issue but on a bigger figure that costs this much, it stands out that much more. Sculpting is pretty good, the arms seem a tad toyetic in their sculpting, but otherwise it holds up with a good amount of detail that's not over the top.

Articulation is very good although not to the level of MP-1, and some of the designs are more on the toy side than the genius of that previous figure - simple hinges instead of double joints. The ankles are very weak though, they don't lean back, only forward which is an odd choice, and they lean forward far too easily. The sliding shoulder joints allow for a lot of range of motion. The head is a vertical hinge on a horizontal swivel.

Fit & finish issues creep up also such as the back panel that holds the folding gun not closing quite as nicely as it should, some seams like the upper arms and the rear of the gun and few other areas not closed all that tightly, the panel for the neck doesn't have a stop so it's nearly always dislodged backwards or forwards, and on mine there's several areas where paint has worn off after a single transformation - mostly the die-cast spine piece, but also the outside of the front fenders which end up inside the chest. Then there's the fact that the robot mode feels a little loose in the torso, it's only held together by a single tab snapped onto the faux grille stomach and while nothing falls apart, it doesn't feel as solid as it could - but it's a design conceit that probably was necessary, and the figure isn't floppy for it.

Surprisingly, for once the instructions not only get everything, they get everything right. The transformation is relatively clear, and the gimmicks are all on the page. The only thing lacking is transformation from truck to robot, but one can reverse-engineer that from the robot to truck instructions.

Overall, my first impression is that this is a good set. While each is good, no one element is worth the price of admission on its own, but together it all makes for a quality Optimus Prime experience.

Chaddymac
11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Since I have the Japanese release and not the American, I'm curious - does the US release have loose smokestacks too, or will they stay up when you position them?

JediTricks
11-16-2012, 10:21 PM
So, stupid post office delivered it this morning... TO THE WRONG ADDRESS! I'm going to go down there tomorrow with the tracking number, and then write a stern letter to Amazon complaining about the use of FedEx Smartpost.

Since I have the Japanese release and not the American, I'm curious - does the US release have loose smokestacks too, or will they stay up when you position them?They stay up fine on my US release. That's gotta suck if they don't stay up because the bottom curved part on each can end up hitting other parts in some poses.

JetsAndHeels
11-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Picked up Voyager Ultra Magnus and Thundertron earlier this week. While Thundertron is neat just because he is different, Ultra Magnus is very cool. If you like the cyberverse commander version, get the voyager.

figrin bran
11-17-2012, 11:18 PM
I found and bought GDO Sandstorm and TFP Rumble today. Now I just need the aforementioned TFP Voyager Ultra Magnus and I'll be done with Transformers Prime...don't think I'll be interested in Beast Hunters except for maybe a deluxe Smokescreen.

I briefly thought about saving MP Prime for Christmas to open up but couldn't wait that long. I have him out of the box but haven't attempted to transform yet.

El Chuxter
11-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Beast Hunters??? Is this a new line?

Chaddymac
11-18-2012, 12:04 PM
That's the subtitle for Prime Season 3.

Darth Metalmute
11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
I have this feeling Toledo is dead to the Hasbro toy line. I haven't seen any new Transformers or Star Wars single figures since the Phantom Menace line came out earlier is year. Is saw the first edition line once, and I'm glad I decided to pick up my vehicon, but this year has been disastrous to my collection:frus:, but profitable to my wallet.;)

figrin bran
11-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Alright, I'm not really done with the TFP collection as thanks to Target's 11.99 sale on deluxes, I picked up 2 more Vehicons along with Generations Onslaught, Blast Off and Swindle. I guess I may as well try to find Brawl and Vortex within the next few days before the sale ends.

I guess there's considerably less interest in Vehicons now because they were impossible to find a few months ago. Or else packing 2 per case has made a huge difference?

Chaddymac
11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Both is my guess. I'm hopeful we see Jeticons in the Beast Hunters line.

El Chuxter
11-20-2012, 09:15 PM
I scored all five Combaticons at Target today. I would've passed on Onslaught, but my daughter really seemed to want to make Bruticus, which is too awesome a request to deny her, particularly with the influence of other kids at school making her less interested in cool stuff all the time. :D

Also found Swerve and Cliffjumper at TRU. And learned something: when I asked if they had the others (Wheelie and Springer) in stock, I was told that they didn't, but the store could order them for me with free shipping. Which I took them up on, needless to say; shipping from their site would've probably been an arm and a leg without hitting some threshold I wasn't at.

It's nice to have a Cliffjumper who's not merely Bumblebee in red, and Swerve is someone I would've scoffed at before reading the More Than Meets the Eye series (which is definitely worth checking out--seriously, man, the three TF ongoings are three of the best books out there right now), but he's so endearing and awesome in that series, I couldn't pass on him, even if a Kup repaint doesn't make the most sense for him.

JediTricks
11-21-2012, 01:30 AM
So it turns out SmartPost and the Post Office didn't wrong me at all, I had apparently ordered it to my mailbox place address instead of my home address and forgotten about that since it was 5 months ago, and my mailbox place forgot to call me to let me know it had been received. So I have my FOC G2 Bruticus set from Amazon, and it's pretty darn nice. It's so compact compared to the out of control SDCC box, yet it outshines it by being so well authentic to G2 in packaging and in inspiration. This may be one of the only TFs I keep unopened, despite actually liking the deco scheme better than I had expected.

El Chuxter
11-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Went to TRU to get a Thomas the Tank Engine set, and saw the China/TRU G2-styled Megatron. He looked amazing. I will not deny that. And, at $22.99, he was rather reasonable for the scale.

However, I had to pass. Kickarse G2 head or not, this is the third use of this sculpt, and I have both the previous versions. It fits Bludgeon like a glove. It fits Banzai-Tron pretty well, too (not like the guy ever did anything except in the IDW version of the comic, and I think he died pretty quickly there). But it's not Megatron. Megatron is simply not a master of Metallikato, and the mold does not suit him.

figrin bran
11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I found Hot Spot yesterday and was able to use the 20% off coupon.

Also saw a total of 6 TFP Vehicons at two Targets. A few months ago, I wouldn't have imagined being able to army build them so easily (I passed them all up btw)

Adam
11-25-2012, 01:44 PM
I too found Hot Spot, and picked him up along side Powerdive. Saved about $10 with a $10 for $20 Groupon.

Darth Metalmute
11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
I went to 6 different area stores this weekend and found nothing. In fact, my TRU finally broke out the Kup/Wheeljack/Warpath wave. So I'm assuming I see the Combaticons around July of 2014.

El Chuxter
11-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Just so I'm clear, there's:

Deluxe
Swerve (Kup repaint)
Wheelie (Jazz repaint)
Cliffjumper (Prime Cliffjumper repaint)
Springer (????)

Voyager (?)
Megatron (ROTF Bludgeon repaint)
Hot Spot (Inferno repaint)

Scout
Laserbeak (???)
Sandstorm (???)

Legends/Legion
Motorbreathmaster (Optimus Prime repaint)
Thundercracker (Starscream repaint)

I know that can't be all. Who am I missing from this list? (By that, I mean "who did I leave out"? I'm happy to pass on several of these, particularly that weird so-called Laserbeak.)

Chaddymac
11-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Laserbeak is pretty cool. Reminds me of his Cybertron mode from G1. I have him hanging out with my X-9 Jaguar from Beast Wars.

Tycho
11-25-2012, 11:19 PM
What is Deluxe Springer's alt mode?

TFW2005 was showing a 2nd party kit (why do they call 'em 3rd party? Hasbro is the 1st party so the next customizer company has to be the 2nd party, right?)

Anyway, the kit turns Prime Voyager Megatron into Galvatron (animated). Pretty cool, huh?

These characters need more figures:

Ultra Magnus
Springer
Galvatron
Cyclonus
Scourge

Yeah.

El Chuxter
11-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Looking around, I also see evidence of Bluestreak, Hoist, Brawl, Dead End, and some fellow named Powerdive. Is Powerdive new, or what? He looks cool enough I might get him; I had to get the realistically-styled Lugnut because he was just way too cool. (Of course, he was at Ross and cost a lot less, too.)

It's not that I dislike Laserbeak; he's just not Laserbeak to me.

Tycho, Springer transforms into a helicopter (he's not a Triple Changer this time around). Poking around the interwebs, it looks like he's based on a movie-continuity figure named Tomahawk (from the Hunt for the Decepticons sub-line), with a new head, different rotor transformation (Springer can use the rotor as a sword, same as the original, but it looks like Tomahawk keeps it attached to his back), and maybe a few other tweaks. I don't have him in-hand yet, but the photos online look sweet.

(And the TRU exclusives so far seem to be cheaper than the equivalent non-exclusive figures. Deluxes are $14.99, whereas even Target and Walmart are charging $16 for them. Not to mention, being older molds, they're slightly larger.)

Chaddymac
11-26-2012, 09:34 AM
TFW2005 was showing a 2nd party kit (why do they call 'em 3rd party? Hasbro is the 1st party so the next customizer company has to be the 2nd party, right?).
The customer is the second party. It's about the primary relationship (hasbro and consumer), where the 3rd Party company is outside the primary relationship. It's like first-person vs. third person. First is "I, me, my, mine", second is "you, your, yours", third is "he/she, him/her, his/hers, theirs" and proper names.

Tycho
11-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for explaining that.

In another thread, BigBarada and I were talking about the movie Christine.

I think a new Decepticon that transformed into her would be kind of cool, don't you think?

Maybe Arachnia, though I'm unfamiliar with the character. However, "Alice," from ROTF could come back.

If Arcee was introduced as misunderstood, so at first she was threatening, like when BB was stalking Sam as "Satan's Camaro," then OK.

Chaddymac
11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
(And the TRU exclusives so far seem to be cheaper than the equivalent non-exclusive figures. Deluxes are $14.99, whereas even Target and Walmart are charging $16 for them. Not to mention, being older molds, they're slightly larger.)

While out of town for the holiday, I got into some of my older figures which are being stored at my parent's place. I could not believe the quality of plastic and paint apps (not to mention the afforementioned size). Compared to the FOC figures... I'm very angry with Hasbro. Raise the price and cut the quality? We should not be supporting that. I have been so far removed from the older figures, I didn't realize how royally we were being screwed. I am genuinely considering only buying Japanese MP's from here on out.

El Chuxter
11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I've only gotten Shockwave and the Combaticons and haven't opened the Combaticons. Shockwave isn't too bad at all, he's just a tad undersized given the price hike. I see no reason at all to get Optimus, and no reason to get Jazz unless he goes on clearance.

Got and opened Springer and Wheelie today. I was mistaken about one thing; the sword isn't the rotor. Springer's pretty cool, though I don't care for the spindly movie-aesthetic legs, and I can't get the shoulders to lock in place (so the proper "vents" aren't showing when I re-position his arms). You definitely should pick him up, T.

Wheelie, though, is a bleeding gift from Primus himself. G1-accurate or not, this figure is freaking beautiful; an improvement on the Jazz mold the way Blurr improved upon Drift.

I want to take a picture of Classics/Generations Grimlock, Wheelie, Blurr, Springer, Kup, Hot Rod, Cyclonus, Wreck-Gar, Junkheap, Scourge, Jazz, Cliffjumper, Perceptor, and Galvatron; Animated Arcee; and RiD Unicron. I just need a proper Magnus, but the forthcoming Fall of Cybertron looks like he'll work nicely. Assuming Prime and Jazz don't totally clog the shelves, he's slated for early next year, right?

Tycho
11-26-2012, 11:23 PM
I hear you about Springer, Chux.

I got the Scout Class (ROTF style Japanese packaging) Dead End tonight (with my Mando-Kin fighter 2-pack) at TRU.

They have had 3 shelf-warming MP Thundercrackers.

No new figures really, but the Scouts.

There was Brawl - repaint of the police transport that fits on Voy Seaspray.

A dunebuggy thing with the guns - repaint of the green one, this one in tan.

But besides Dead End, there should have been a 4th vehicle in the case, right? Who did I miss?

I'd like more Scout cars since they make Deluxes like the Dreads from DOTM look like Voyagers by comparison.

El Chuxter
11-27-2012, 12:05 PM
If you get Generations Cliffjumper, BE CAREFUL. I'm not sure if it's a carryover from the Prime mold, but the plastic is incredibly brittle. I actually broke off (not snapped off :() the front grill assembly when trying to decipher those ridiculously unhelpful instructions. I was able to fix it to my satisfaction (so I don't have to risk not finding another); it seems solid enough to transform carefully and I rarely transform them from robot mode anyway. But he's also got stress marks in other spots that I don't even remember touching during transformation (like the pipe-ish connector-looking thing under his right hand).

Bottom line: be gentle with him. He's not as rugged as he'd have you believe. ;)

figrin bran
11-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Chux, Prime CJ isn't as brittle as you are describing. I've not opened any of the TRU GDO exclusives yet so I hope brittle plastic isn't the case for all of them.

I had quite the Cybe Tuesday TF haul! Caught word that Amazon had TFP Voyager Magnus so I got one for 21.99 and added FOC Vortex, which I needed anyhow to complete FOC Bruticus, to qualify for free shipping.

And then since I have not seen any of the GDO deluxes at all, I checked TRU's site, saw them in stock and took advantage of the 3 for the price of 2 sale on deluxes. I got Springer, Wheelie and Cliffjumper. Hopefully a 3rd party company will make a Prime CJ head so I can stick it on the Generations version. I tried using a rewards coupon but was unable to (????). I know that had I purchased these at a TRU store, they would have taken the coupon on top of the sales promotion. Oh well.

I opened up TFP Kup and he's pretty solid but severely underscaled, shorter than Arcee in bot mode.

Adam
11-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Looking around, I also see evidence of Bluestreak, Hoist, Brawl, Dead End, and some fellow named Powerdive. Is Powerdive new, or what?

He was repainted from Highbrow from the Hunt for the Decepticons subline with the alternate head that was in the instructions for the original. His arms are a little different but he's a neat figure. The shark deco is well done.

Chux, Prime CJ isn't as brittle as you are describing. I've not opened any of the TRU GDO exclusives yet so I hope brittle plastic isn't the case for all of them.

It's been a common problem with the new run of FE Terrorcon Cliffjumpers so I wouldn't be surprised if the GDO version also had issues. The new run of the FE voyagers have horrendous QC problems. Prime is missing paint apps and I've read about many Bulkheads that are breaking out of the box! It's really sad, as they are both really great figures.

Tycho, here is a gallery of Springer I did back in July if you're interested in seeing more (I forgot to fully twist his vents in all those bot mode pictures though. :-/): http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/630096-generations-gdo-deluxe-springer.html

ALSO, some enterprising fan from Asia figured out a fairly easy mod to Springer to give him a pretty convincing third car mode. There are a bunch of takes on it, this being one of them: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/630096-generations-gdo-deluxe-springer-11.html#post8089564

Tycho
11-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks Adam. That paint scheme on Springer looks great. Searching through the thread on TFW I also found the unofficial custom car mode.

It was a pretty darn good job to make him a triple changer. Now Hasbro should!

A Masterpiece or Leader Class Springer should be large enough to hide all the non-essential parts for the alt modes.