PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 07:13 PM
I found Backstop at Target and Cybertron Defense Red Alert at WM last night...

TF:CY Backstop - let me start by saying that the pictures don't really do this figure justice, it's WORSE! "Backstop" is a pretty odd choice for this figure's name, it kept making me think of "doorstop", which turns out is all this figure is competent for anyway.

Backstop's alt mode is a rhino, purple-gray for the main color with regular darkish gray for the legs, a red horn and some other accents, yellow eyes and tail and faux-hips, silver at the key slot, and off-black toes and a couple other accents. The general shape is like a rhino with a huge upper head for the key-slot, and a tail which sticks out a little too much. The overall skin shape is rhino-like, but the top areas are smooth which I don't care for; there are plenty of good sculpt details, but look too carefully and you'll notice the hand under the neck, it's a little odd. The designers kinda screwed this figure from the right, that's where they put the 5 screw holes (it looks like a lot on a small figure such as this) plus the copyright text on the rhino's upper right torso, that sucks bad. The articulation is weird all around here, the head rotates like a confused dog, the knees are hinged, and the hips are restricted ball joints but WAY down below the actual hip, making it hard for any decent walking poses. The key inserted into the head actually looks fairly natural there, like a dino. The key gimmick causes the horn to jut forward about an inch, it's ok but not super exciting or dangerous-looking.

Transformation has some interesting ideas but comes off very simple and goofy for a basic. The instructions spend way too much time straightening out the left arm, the only real surprise involved is that the shoulder slides out. After that, lower the right hand, fold the legs together, pull down the waist, flip over the head panel. I like some of the ideas here, but as a basic there's just not enough resources to utilize them well, as a deluxe or mega I think a lot more could have been accomplished with the leg idea and head reveal, all the arms and legs would have had more to do... but alas, it was not meant to be I guess.

Bot mode is pathetic, goofy, silly, embarassing. Backstop's overall shape is squat, wide, kinda helpless, like that kid who always got picked last for kickball in grade school. The simplistic red head is revealed from the upper torso, or rather, in it, and has no articulation and a constant downward gaze. There's more red and corn-yellow plastic brought into the mix which helps differentiate it from the alt mode, but it's a little garish at times. The left arm stars alright but ends in a butt-hand, it doesn't look too bad in front of him but down at his side it looks kinda lost. The right arm is the rhino head plus a red forearm with an open hand, it looks like a weird combo. The detail of the new waist and hips is pitifully non-existant, though the lower torso does gain a tapered shape from losing the rhino hips. The legs look like they're going sideways mainly because they still have toes pointing that way, if they had left the alt mode toes off it would have been much less of a problem (the left hip still would have that kibble, but it'd be less directional by itself). Articulation is crap, you have standard left shoulder, a universal right shoulder joint, both elbows hinges inward, the right hand has a hinged middle finger from transformation which can lift up, standard hips, and the knee/ankles can hinge left and right some which is of no use at all except in alt mode (which this ain't); there's also a little rotation play of the legs thanks to the ball joints inside, but it's not intentional for this mode and can stress the armatures which make up the hips and can lead to breakage. So basically, you can pose him wanting a hug, touching his chest, or having just fallen on his butt, always looking down like he knows how bad he sucks and is embarassed about it. The key gimmick is pointless here, his shoulder horn pops out to the side, can't really use it - if they had made the head higher and able to turn, and if the waist could turn, then maybe it wouldn't be so worthless.

Overall, this is one figure to avoid except as a total goof. He looks completely silly and dopey in bot mode, he has nothing really to offer at all. I bought it so you wouldn't have to, purchase at your own peril.

TF:CY Cybertron Defense Red Alert - The first CY Ultra I've actually kept (I bought Jetfire but returned him due to defect and disappointment - though this Cybertron Defense Red Alert actually had a defect too but WM is so very far away and it wasn't as compromising). Cybertron Defense Red Alert is a mighty robot, ridiculously well-armed and very cool, though me thinks this mold would be better suited as a Decepticon.

Alt mode is an 8-wheeled armored missile-carrier vehicle, the missile itself is nearly as big as the vehicle, this ain't no puny payload, it's a long-range WMD - Weapon to Massacre Decepticons! The vehicle's got decent if not stellar details, some armor plating, open window-slits at the front, some rivets and gratings, and a small twin cannon on top of the cockpit which is hinged; there's also a minicon-style dead hardpoint at the middle on either side. The overall shape is a long vehicle with that "armored vehicle" angled front end. Also, there's a bot-mode-only gimmick, the big gun/tool that flips out, the key slot is blocked in alt mode but if you can get the barrel to activate it makes a mean-looking cannon right at the front of the vehicle. The vehicle's chief color is white plastic, then blue in the middle, some dark bronze painted accents, a small red Autobot logo on a "V" tampoed to the cockpit roof (the Vanguard team logo I guess, but that's the Japanse line's thing), very dark blue-gray wheels, and some not-as-subtle-as-it-should-be dark gray weathering paint spewing from the wheel wells -- the white color is too plain, it loses a lot of the details and just looks kinda "eh", the weathering should have been better and should have been EVERYWHERE. The missile launcher is hinged and can tilt up about 70 degrees, the 8.5"; missile can slide off the launcher track completely which is fantastic. The missile itself is big and rocket-like, has great sculpted detail, is titanium-colored plastic with lots of dark blue-gray paint and a translucent red center ring. The bottom of the missile has 6 sculpted exhausts and is also the speaker grill for the sound effects, designers added a small crescent sticking out the back so it couldn't be placed standing straight upright (for fear that a child would fall and impale himself on it).

The vehicle's key gimmick involves the missile, the front halves of which pop open to reveal a huge translucent red cannon with a spring-loaded projectile at the tip, the red plastic catches the light great and looks amazingly wicked with lots of tech sculpting, the projectile is dark blue opaque plastic and also the tip of the closed missile - the missile can pop open without the vehicle OR the key thanks to a tab on the bottom. There's also lights and sounds once you add 2 AAA batteries, when you open the missile there's a "beep beep beep" sound, and when you slide it off the launcher there's a launching sound, and both times the center ring lights up - it's not bad but not enough of the cannon lights up and neither sound is really great.

Transformation isn't simple the way a lot of Ultras are, it's not Alternator-complex but there's plenty to do - even if it's all fairly straightforward. My Cybertron Defense Red Alert had a quality control issue that ended up chewing up the right shoulder's transformation joint, some designer put a screw hole behind this hinge and mine was assembled with the screw seated wrong so it didn't screw all the way in, this caused the screw head to gouge the hinge and cause the shoulder to not fold all the way in - since WM is *so* far from me, I opted to tap out the hinge pin and straighten the screw so it could be screwed in all the way, once this was done the hinge had enough surface left to stop in the right places, and the shoulder now goes all the way into place - this was likely an isolated incident.

Cybertron Defense Red Alert's bot mode even without the mega weapon is a bruiser, with a blocky look, wide shoulders set deep back and at the same height as the head, big boots, and a high waist, it's definitely not the previous Red Alert figure, this almost looks like a smaller bot wearing bigger bot arms and legs - the high waist, smaller thighs, small center chestplate, and head set low in the chest and looking like a small head wearing a big helmet all give this impression. There's a bit of backpack going on high up, but I don't find it very noticable or distracting. The chest plate is reminiscent of regular Red Alert even with the vents, but the head is weird because it does sorta remind one of Red Alert with the similar helmet shape, red light-piped visor (it works great BTW) and similar mouth, but the mouth is set WAY deep beind the long visor and chin sections, it's odd and looks like a bad-guy face. The articulation is fairly impressive, standard neck, standard shoulders, bicep-swivel, hinged elbows, rotating wrists, rotating waist, and universal-jointed hips and knees; plus the weapon launcher track is still hinged at the back, and it slides from the center to sitting over the right shoulder. The sideways ratchets on the hips have play after the first click so if you go for wide-stance poses they end up a little wider than expected, the knee hinge ratchets have a little play at the start so he leans back a little at times, but nothing disasterous. The fists have standard pegholes even though Cybertron Defense Red Alert doesn't come with handheld weapons. The big boots are actually partly a facade, they could be construed as kibble even but they don't look it from the front, the boots have solid toes and ample heels so the figure can stand without trouble even with the missile. There's a rifle/tool formed from the middle of the front end, it pegs into the side of either forearm (in fact, you don't have to remove it during transformation), insert the key and the barrel flips over to reveal a pump-style cannon, and there's a claw tool and a mallet tool in the boots behind the facade fronts similar to the previous Red Alert figure - the claw is hinged to open and close, the mallet has a spring-loaded head - both tools are a little tough to get out of their boot storage holes. The main missile launcher sits over the right shoulder now and points forward or can be hinged, it looks crazy deadly up there, and I'm glad the missile is removable or it'd be overwhelming after a while. The twin cannon on the cockpit now ends up just below the knee and is hinged to point forward. The figure's colors add more blue to the party, but it's still not a colorscheme that best suits this figure, I think this really would make a much better Decepticon really (the vehicle design and that big missile cannon makes this look more like Megatron than this line's actual Megatron!) and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a repaint as a Decepticon.

Overall, I don't like this figure quite as much as the original Red Alert in this line, but this is an awesome figure none the less, he's super-armed and ready to destroy! Uh, in the name of saving people, I mean. He's got good articulation, a tough alt mode, a wild mega-weapon, and even his regular weapon is huge, can't go wrong with Cybertron Defense Red Alert.

Cataclizm1
12-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Cybertron Defense Red Alert reeks of so much awesomeness and he is definitely recommended!

JediTricks
12-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, CDRA's biggest problem is his white plastic, pretty much everything else rocks.

I found Wreckloose yesterday at WM and bought him, here's the review, my condolences:

TF:CY Wreckloose - This is a long review because I kept getting sidetracked while writing so it got drawn out, but basically the lizard mode is ruined by poor color transition, the hat is doofy, and the bot is ok but suffers many little issues. Bottom line: some good tries, but overall it's lame.

Wreckloose's alt mode is a lizard, a monitor I think, but except for a few obvious areas it's techno sculpt does a fair impression of an organic lizard. I like his spikes running down his back, the barbs near the end of his tail, the "patched ripped skin" sculpts, and the mid-body's unique design. I can forgive the blatant robot fists behind the front feet, but there are a few things that bug me about this design: the eyes are too small, the opened mouth is all wrong for a lizard, the robot hips too obvious due to the gapping, the robot facade knees not well-integrated, the head halves don't close that well, and most annoyingly, the feet aren't articulated so the lizard can only stand tall instead of being able to lay low on his belly - that's all without his hat, which I'll cover a little later. Articulation is universal-jointed front hips, ball-jointed rear hips, ball-jointed knees (with a second hinge joint on the front legs), opening jaw, rotating midsection, ball-joint-as-hinge mid-section, hinged mid-tail, and the tip of the tail has a little up-and-down play.

Normally I don't separate color comments, but here it's worth separate mention. Colorwise, he's an odd duck, he's far from Hasbro's worst colorschemes but what he's got doesn't really work. His lower half is very light pea soup green, the top half is black and so are his feet, there's a lot of copper plastic and not-quite-matching paint, there's silver rips, his front legs are hunter green, his tiny eyes are neon green and there's a small gold stripe just under that - the light soup green and black are a heavy contrast and except for the neck which got special paint for this, there's no transition from one color to the next and that doesn't work. Not only is the "black, no green!" lack of transition jarring, but the heavy use of copper details seems out of place, I suppose they were going for a specific striped look but the bot's false-knees kill that, and really there's a lot of out-of-place copper plastic here. Strangely, I guess they thought the sculpting for the "skin rips" wasn't good enough because all 5 have silver paint making more ripping, and they all work except for the one on the left side of his head which is too uniform.

And now that I've covered the basic bot, I'll mention the key-gimmick hat. By itself, the hat is a pointy, indescribable mass, plug in the key and the sides pop out into antlers, they claim these are blades but they look like antlers. In terms of color, the hat is equal parts hunter green and copper plastic & paint, and the front left side has a Decepticon logo painted on - I don't know why they chose this but the blades are copper plastic which makes them look even more like brown antlers. The hat tabs clumsily into the top of the lizard's neck, there are spikes up the spine so it's supposed to mesh with the lizard, and you can sorta see another kind of lizard there but mostly what you see is a dopey hat because as if the shape wasn't goofy enough the colors of this thing don't blend in with the lizard's colors at all -- I believe they were going for the hat changing the monitor into a frill-necked lizard, that'd even explain the antler gimmick, but if so it's pretty vague and the color mismatch only worsens it.

Transformation seems clever with the tail becoming the legs and the head splitting into wide shoulderpads, but it practice falls a little flat, it uses cheap tricks seen with a lot of basic beast Transformers.

Wreckloose's robot mode is a basic humanoid figure, the head is small with a broad alien face and a large horn, the body has long legs, big thighs, wide shoulderpads, long thin feet, vestigial lizard legs hanging off the front and back of the right leg... wait, what? I'm having a hard time getting past that one, the lizard legs are just right there, both on the same leg, nothing much you can do with them and the back one has to be moved to use the knee articulation, it's just too weird - the fists have lizard feet above them over the forearms, and although they get in the way elbow articulation, they're way easier to get past than those birth-defect lizard legs. Wreckloose's long, narrow feet lead to some stability issues for more action-oriented poses, but he can stand on his own. The fists have regular pegholes, but the hat accessory uses a tab which is a tiny bit too large to fit in the fists, like I really wanted him to hold an antler-hat anyway! But now he has no true weapon, instead the hat is made to tab into the underside of either forearm to act as a shield, or into a screw hole in the middle of his back for storage - storage locks up the shoulderpad articulation, and forearm shield mode doesn't look much like anything and is unwieldy, but at least you can pop out the antler blades so it looks like a not-anything weapon. The color balance has shifted, now the right leg is light pea soup green and the left is black which overwhelms the whole robot and makes it seem like the Batman villain Two-Face if he were an alien. The only new element is the head, it's cast in the same light soup green plastic with the horn and lower mouth painted copper and the even tinier-than-alt-mode eyes that neon green, as a result the whole head seems lost, the soup green plastic seems totally wrong for the head and the eyes are lost because of their small size and similar color.

Articulation is fairly good although some joints don't work in concert with others, there's standard neck, hinged elbow, rotating forearm, standard waist, limited ball-jointed hips, hinged knees, ball-joint-as-rotation "boots", and universal shoulders. The shoulder design is somewhat like Energon Scorponok's shoulderpads with arms decending from them, the instructions ignore the shoulderpad rotation joints altogether, instead relying on the true shoulders' universal joints as the only shoulder joints, but because of the stupid lizard feet kibble behind the hands greatly hindering elbow movement you end up with a less poseable arm - plus, why would the designers even bother putting a rotation on each shoulderpad or a hinge above each elbow? Those points of articulation would be totally superfluous for the beast mode, so I think they had to be designed to be main elements of the arm articulation, allowing the upper and lower arms maximum range of motion - including adding a side-hinge at the true shoulder that is lost in the official transformation.

Overall grade: the gray area between D+ and C-
This figure isn't awful, he's more "meh", I wouldn't recommend him but I wouldn't totally condemn him either.

Adam
12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I likes Backstop for some reason. I wasn't going to get him, but bought him anyway. Wreckloose is a'ight.

I'm still on the hunt for Crosswise. I'm going to pass on Thunderblast/Chromia but may pick up Brimstone.

JediTricks
12-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Backstop has some funny charm, but I don't think Wreckloose does.

I'm on the hunt for all 3 myself, but I haven't seen any traces so far. I am not expecting great things from Chromia... er, "Thunderblast", but I do like her alt mode. The deluxe-size figures are generally my favorite so I won't turn any of these 3 down.

kool-aid killer
12-13-2005, 09:44 PM
I just seen Wreckloose and the Fat Rhino bot today. I almost picked them up, but ive got to save for presents more than indulge my toy habit. I thought the Fat Rhinos bio was funny, since it said that Scourge knocked him off, Scourge is like five times his size (at least toys wise) so it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

Cataclizm1
12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
FYI the new Alt Sunstreaker and Skids as well as the new Beast Wars 10th aniv. figures are appearing at various Walmarts in the US. I can't wait to find them all!

JediTricks
12-20-2005, 01:52 AM
A friend of mine (the one who sent in the news about the new SW Titaniums) found the BW anniversary packs and new-packaging Tracks at WM in Vegas last night.

Tycho
12-20-2005, 02:37 AM
FYI the new Alt Sunstreaker and Skids as well as the new Beast Wars 10th aniv. figures are appearing at various Walmarts in the US. I can't wait to find them all!

I'm in for Sunstreaker. I'll wait for a repaint on Skids for a character I'm more into.

Did anyone see the Mirage alternator prototype featured on some sites? Sorry I don't have a link handy, but I'll probably be buying this! It looks like a totally new sculpt.

Yes - Sunstreaker (my first repaint, but it's Sideswipe's brother!)
No - Skids (but I want a repaint if it's a good character like Ratchet or Ironhide)
No - Optimus Prime (but there is a kit sold to add a trailer to 20th Anniversary Prime)
Yes - Ironhide if they repaint Optimus Prime's pickup truck form (this has not been announced, it's my idea)

To this date I have no Decepticons as I want new sculpts, preferably fighter jets or military vehicles, and I would buy repaints from amongst Thundercracker, Starscream, Skywarp and good figures of Soundwave, Megatron and maybe some others. Shockwave (Shockblast) was a waste IMO, and Swindle wasn't a combiner and Ravage wasn't a Jaguar in any form. Dead End wasn't a combiner either, nor was Drag Strip. And I don't think the Stunticons will be featured in the movie either.

El Chuxter
12-20-2005, 08:31 AM
How can you not like Skids? You have something against pacifist Autobots? :p

darthvyn
12-20-2005, 11:09 AM
How can you not like Skids? You have something against pacifist Autobots? :p

he's a "false autobot."

El Chuxter
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
he's a "false autobot."

Wouldn't Mirage be a false Autobot, too? Got anything against Mirage, you Mirage-hater? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::D

Tycho
12-20-2005, 12:44 PM
he's a "false autobot."

LOL! That made me laugh. Don't even get me started on the False Decepticons!

darthvyn
12-20-2005, 12:50 PM
hound is definitely a "false autobot" - he's constanly talking about how he feels like a human in a robot's body.

false decepticons. don't think too hard about a cyclical concept like that or you'll put yourself in the hospital again!

JediTricks
12-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I don't understand the big love for Sunstreaker, what's the deal with that?

Did anyone see the Mirage alternator prototype featured on some sites? Sorry I don't have a link handy, but I'll probably be buying this! It looks like a totally new sculpt.It'd kinda have to be, it's a Ford GT, totally different car from anything they've done to date.

Adam
12-20-2005, 03:50 PM
:p
Did anyone see the Mirage alternator prototype featured on some sites? Sorry I don't have a link handy, but I'll probably be buying this! It looks like a totally new sculpt.

Saw it in person at botcon. Looks to be a good one.

BTW, those Star Wars TF figs were found in Houston:p

Also, Cyb Galvatron was also spotted.. in Texas again.

I have to go now. :)

Tycho
12-20-2005, 04:11 PM
I remember where I saw Mirage now. It was in ToyFare where they had a picture of the prototype from BotCon. Mirage was a cool character. I don't know if a Ford GT is cool, but I'll get it. I saw an unpainted proto. I hope they use the blue and white traditional paint scheme.

kool-aid killer
12-20-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't understand the big love for Sunstreaker, what's the deal with that?

Sunstreaker had probably the coolest vehicle mode in the G1 cartoon, with Sideswipe coming in a close second. You cant have one without the other, its like a toilet without any paper.:frus:

JediTricks
12-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, but they're not doing a Lamborghini for the Alternators figure, yet folks are still excited about this.

Tycho, the Ford GT is a *very* cool car, it's a direct homage to the Ford GT-40 of the '60s which won a ton of road races. Here's pages with images of both:
New Ford GT - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_gt
Original GT-40 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT40

Tycho
12-21-2005, 04:44 PM
That's a very cool car and I especially like the dark blue paint scheme for what Hasbro intends to do with Mirage. The red n' white one could be a repaint for Hot Rod (maybe).

Cataclizm1
12-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Picked up Alt. Sunstreaker and Skids at Walmart Torrance! YAY! (Last ones.)

Adam
12-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I picked up Skids and Prowl, Sunstreaker was no where to be found. :cry:

BUT they did have one Galvatron so I snagged that up. Also saw, and chuckled at the Star Wars TF's that were there.

Tycho
12-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Watch - they make Yarna Dal Gargon a Transformer when this line is flopping, and she'll turn into a 6-wheeler :D

Adam
12-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Watch - they make Yarna Dal Gargon a Transformer when this line is flopping, and she'll turn into a 6-wheeler :D

Hah! I was thinking Jar Jar turning into a Bongo but that works too. lol

kool-aid killer
12-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I got Cybertron Snarl for Christmas. Ive yet to open him but he looks to be a decent figure. I like his paint scheme, for the most part. Now i feel a urge to go pick up the rest of the animal/beast Transformers that have come out in this line.

El Chuxter
12-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I found Sunstreaker along with about five of Tracks in the new packaging yesterday. (I suspect maybe the Sunstreaker was there because he looks a lot like Decepticharge in car mode.) I've not opened him yet, but he looks like exactly the same mold as Dead End, only more G1-accurate deco. I would've totally have waited for this instead of getting Dead End had I known he was in the works. Well, no, because Dead End still looks sweet in car mode. I'm just an addict.

Cataclizm1
12-29-2005, 02:34 AM
Been messing around with Alt. Skids and Sunstreaker a bit. I definitely like Skids alot better than i thought I would. The flames look alot better in person than in pics. The car mode is so sweet with all 4 doors opening as well as the trunk and hood. The frosted windows are kind of lame though. Robot mode is very cool and when you finish transforming him you just sit in awe of how that boxy car became this robot. Transformation is pretty complex, but not quite as hard as the Grimlock mold. I find that he stands alot more balance if you fold down his shin guards down to the feet. His gun is super tiny, almost as small as Hound's. Sunstreaker is pretty nice, being just a Dead-end repaint and all. Definitely recommend both figures!:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Hound's gun is bigger than Skids', if you count only the actual handle and barrel parts.

Anyway, I got Alt Skids and SW:TF Obi-Wan last night at Target. I'll talk about Obi-Wan in the SW:TF section of the forums though - but I will say to Tycho that I suspect this is your kind of line, it's a small side-line so not a major investment, and an imaginative extension of Star Wars, Obi-Wan really does seem like a Star Wars mech, plus it's a fun toy.

At first, I really didn't like Skids much, he makes the xB look even more boring, his gun is incredibly small, his bot mode is pretty kibbly with a lot of backpack, the back/chest doesn't lock into 1 position, there's no waist articulation, and from a few bad angles there's gap issues. In alt mode, the grill logo is loose, the frosting on the windows doesn't line up that well, the driver door hinge is too tight to the point where it won't close all the way, and on mine the steering wasn't linked on one side (I corrected this, but it could have just as easily broke while attempting it). Also, what's the point of opening the hood just to reveal that tiny engine cover and bot kibble, or the trunk to reveal the feet? The instructions make the transformation seem far more complicated than it is (it's not entirely fluid, but they make it out to be woefully convoluted), but the transformation is alright if you can forgive the end results (and one of the feet popping off occasionally).

Bot mode despite not having waist articulation is well-articulated with lots of range of motion, this is ultimately what salvaged my opinion of him, he can take some fairly cool poses without trouble. There is a lot of backpack and it's up behind the head, this is not cool especially when there are extra joints on some of the parts which never get used in transformation or any other time (what are they there for? It's not for assembly, this would make it cost MORE) and the front seats don't fold down all the way and seem intentionally removable (if you leave 'em they're the butt-plate). All in all, I think my initial frustration was not just in how the end result looks, but in how much leftover stuff seems like it still needs to be done and how there's transformation joints that might lead to this but I can't see how - it's like he's not fully baked yet, like he was supposed to have another pass in the drawing board or something.

Chaddymac
12-31-2005, 02:17 AM
I posted this on TFW. I hope no one minds the repost...

Found the new Alts, the SW TFs, and the BW 10th anniversary figures today at a St. Louis Target (while on vacation, y'all). It doesn't help you guys much, I'm sure, but I can tell you that the SW TFs are mostly overrated and if you've read the reviews, that's saying a LOT. That said, I'm a SW and TF fan, so I've got them for the novelty. Plus, the Obi-Wan one, which I thought would be my least favorite, is actually my most. And Grievous, which I thought was the neatest looking, is the most frustrating. Vader falls somewhere in between and I think will be typical of the line. Whatever. It'll be the perfect bridge in my fantasy home with the "museum" room when I have to display my Star Wars and TFs together.

Huge fan of Skids, way bigger than I thought I'd be, and Streaker oozes with so much nostalgia my head hurts.

The BW TFs are actually really quite impressive. Hasbro went all out. I realize that for most of these they seem like slight recolors, but it's pretty high quality and very extensive. So far, Waspinator is my favorite. He's dynamically colored with great attention to detail is gives the toy the treatment the character deserved. Dinobot looks to be the standout in the next wave. But Rhinox and Cheetor also deserve accolades. They may not have had as dramatic an effect as Waspy did, but the new wash and well-chosen shades make them look like very high-quality toys. Combined with the DVD and Transmutate part, the figures just about seem worth the $15 pricetag. And I've bought the Cheetor mode 3 times already (counting Tigatron) and the Rhinox mold three times already (counting the Japanese and a loose American version). No regrets...except for that second Rhinox. I wish I'd waited.

Looking forward, my big disappointment is that they're giving us Transmetal Rattrap instead of basic Rattrap and it doesn't look like they did a whole lot to make the new Rattrap worth the purpose. Ideally, I'd have loved to see them do a Rattrap/Terrorsaur 2 pack and give them a show-accurate treatment--but that may have been too much to ask at this price-point. Plus, someone I know mentioned that Hasbro lost that Rattrap mold. I thought they outgrew that? Whatever...

Are these 6 the only figures celebrating the anniversary? Maybe Hasbro will import the Japanese leaders that have been recolored. They look awesome...

JediTricks
12-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Ah, I suspected you already posted info about these when I asked you to in the Just Found LA thread. :p

TM Rattrap really is a mistake, did they recolor that thing at all? The only saving grace would be to have the backpack actually rotate around and the wheels removable as shields (that'd just be for cool factor). The original Rattrap figure is pretty awful though, not only was he a basic rather than a deluxe but he was an auto-changer.

I think Hasbro said they're releasing new versions of BW Primal and Megs with Cyber Keys this year, that may also be 10th anniv pieces.

I am hoping to track down SW:TF Vader today, but I'm not gonna buy Grievous until I find him on sale or something.

Chaddymac
12-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Ah, I suspected you already posted info about these when I asked you to in the Just Found LA thread. :p

TM Rattrap really is a mistake, did they recolor that thing at all? The only saving grace would be to have the backpack actually rotate around and the wheels removable as shields (that'd just be for cool factor). The original Rattrap figure is pretty awful though, not only was he a basic rather than a deluxe but he was an auto-changer.

I think Hasbro said they're releasing new versions of BW Primal and Megs with Cyber Keys this year, that may also be 10th anniv pieces.

I am hoping to track down SW:TF Vader today, but I'm not gonna buy Grievous until I find him on sale or something.
I did indeed!

FYI, the Transmutate part that features the lower torso and his right leg (I think it comes with Rhinox)--the leg does not rotate. It will brake off. Mine is hanging on by a thread.

Hasbro should have warned us. He, she, it looks cool, but they definitely skimped.

JediTricks
12-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Transmutate is a statue?!? Well, that seals it, no way in Unicron's 5th belly am I buying these things!

darthvyn
01-10-2006, 08:03 PM
well i picked up sunstreaker the other day... not much to say, except that he looks even cooler than sideswipe. i wish i had dead-end, though, cuz that translucent red plastic looks HOT.

El Chuxter
01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
vynnie, you should've really told me what Alternators you needed several months ago. Dead End was clearanced out all over the place around here. :(

Chaddymac
01-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Transmutate is a statue?!? Well, that seals it, no way in Unicron's 5th belly am I buying these things!
well, not a complete statue. she-he-it has 5 joints if you count the neck as 2. And I'm going to mod the leg I broke. It won't take much to give it articulation...it was a clean break.

figrin bran
01-11-2006, 02:26 AM
i would be shot down so quickly if i posted this suggestion in any other thread but what if they made 3" titanium SW transformers like the japanese world's smallest transformers? maybe with the lower price point they would be better received? or maybe not.

Tycho
01-11-2006, 03:30 AM
i would be shot down so quickly if i posted this suggestion in any other thread but what if they made 3" titanium SW transformers like the japanese world's smallest transformers? maybe with the lower price point they would be better received? or maybe not.

Not. The size is small right now as it is. The organic SW characters are too robotic (Obi-Wan, Anakin) and making the scale even smaller would make this sin even worse. Plus you're re-writing SW to say that these characters can either turn into their ships or pilot "RoboTech" versions of themselves that they can harness the Force through. It might work that way for General Grievous, possibly Darth Vader, but that wasn't in line with who Luke and Obi-Wan were, etc.

If they made Transformers large enough to hold the organic 3 3/4" figures in their cockpits, that might be a different story. I remember the Voltron line from the mid-80's where the SW-sized figures actually fit in the lions that formed Voltron. I had the Castle playset, everything. Going there it might actually work, but we're looking at either a much larger price point, or cheaper molds and less Transforming creativity. Unfortunately, this isn't the market for this sort of thing.

darthvyn
01-11-2006, 03:25 PM
vynnie, you should've really told me what Alternators you needed several months ago. Dead End was clearanced out all over the place around here. :(

D'OH!!!!

eh, maybe i'll ebay him... i'm still hunting for the newest guys, anyway...

well, if you see him anywhere, gimme a holla.

JediTricks
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
well, not a complete statue. she-he-it has 5 joints if you count the neck as 2. And I'm going to mod the leg I broke. It won't take much to give it articulation...it was a clean break.
Hmm, weird. I read more about it too, why make 1 leg articulated and the other not?

i would be shot down so quickly if i posted this suggestion in any other thread but what if they made 3" titanium SW transformers like the japanese world's smallest transformers? maybe with the lower price point they would be better received? or maybe not.It's an interesting idea, but I don't think Hasbro's Titanium Series division has the chops to sculpt something so complicated, even if it didn't transform, so far their work has been pretty soft when not based on other division's molds. If they did pull off regular Titanium Series Transformers (not based on SW) though, they'd be popular as hell so long as they were articulated and looked right (if they transformed they'd be the next Alternators :p).

JediTricks
01-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Found me a TF bonanza yesterday, the newest TF:CY Deluxes and later SW:TF Darth Vader/Vader's TIE Advanced x1. I put comments on Vader in the SW:TF forum, but the bottom line is that he's alright, not fantastic but kinda cool.

Strangely, Brimstone had a tri-lingo Earth Map while his case-mates had the regular English-only version. The tri-lingo map looks dreadful with all that tiny text.

TF:CY Thunderblast - for some reason, I can't get her other name, Chromia, out of my head.

The alt mode is pretty decent, it's an impeller-driven boat, basically a big jet-ski... with missiles and torpedoes and a deck-mounted machine gun... if it were driven by Bratz dolls. Yes, the colorscheme is purple, silver, translucent orange, and pink, plus a small-ish painted Decepticon logo behind the gun. The boat seems like it'd be a thick boat if it were real, and compared to other deluxes it looks smaller but actually ain't. There is no bot-mode kibble, so the hull is complete and smooth. If the seats are in scale, then the missile launcher box on top is MASSIVE, holding 4 30-foot-long missiles (except that they're pretend, only the warheads are actually there). The missile box can rotate and tilt up and down, and it is removable; the machine gun on the deck can rotate but is not removable; and the clear orange torpedoes peg onto holders on either side of the boat.

The gimmick is odd, insert the key into the missile box and the top pops open while the warhead face drops down, all of which reveals a short cannon which can spring-fire a torpedo. It's a little odd to see a big weapon turn into a slightly smaller but larger-bore weapon, but I do like the way it does so.

Transformation is a shellmaster and borders on embarassing, it's on par with Beast Machines Megatron but doesn't feel quite as insulting. Open the boat hull though and you feel like you're a border agent who just found an illegal immigrant, there's a robot huddled under there. The rest is unfolding the legs, then hinge down the backpack shell cape (which the instructions do a poor job of explaining).

Bot mode is a slender she-bot with long legs and high-heeled boots. Garish orangey-gold, silver, and bluish-gray are added to the main colors; the only translucent orange now is her light-piped eyes. Thunderblast's head is believable as a female but not exclusively so; her bot-bust is big and ends in a matrix-shaped chestplate with pink paint in the center. Her articulation is standard neck, ball-jointed shoulders, upper-bicep swivel, double-hinge elbows, standard waist, ball-jointed hips, and hinged knees - there's also a mid-thigh diagonal-cut joint which can be used, but it's more a transformation joint. The arm joints can do a lot, but her cape limits how she can be posed while still standing so poses are a mixed bag. Her cape won't allow the missiles to remain pegged onto her back, but her missile-box gun can be. Her gun pegs into her forearm and has a tab which slips between her open hand (either arm), and thankfully it doesn't look too big - until you put the torpedo into it in gimmick mode.

Overall, Thunderblast is kinda interesting, I kinda like her and she will appeal to some, but most fans will rightfully knock it for its weaknesses. If they had done all this as a Basic, it would have been a little easier to accept; as-is, I like the figure but can't recommend it.

TF:CY Brimstone - Bot mode is a pterosaur, not the first we've gotten of these but a somewhat different take, accenting the head and integrating the wings better, the look comes off sleeker than it deserves really. The details are all mechanical but do good work suggesting organic, the 'front' of the body has vented intakes, the neck has hoses, stuff like that; the only stuff that seems like bot kibble are the top of the bot head sticking out the top of the ptero's body, and the bot waist which is sideways and the lower part of the front of the body - the bot leg that makes up the underside to tail of the ptero also is kibbly but kinda works. The head is a little thick for my tastes but it does allow for a mean character, the jaw is short and is lined with short teeth. The wings have a good span and are flat with a solid design, even a little claw sculpted to the front. Articulation includes the jaw, head hinge, neck rotation and up-and-down movement, the wings can flap up and down, the claws are hinged some, and the legs have a couple different limited ball joints which can be configured however you'd like to allow different movements (the "hips" are also articulated so they can move from the wings). Aside from the translucent smoke for the wings which looks good, the colors really screw up this alt mod, we've got light tan which is mega-plain and downplays the sculpted details, some purple accents, and awful neon yellow plastic which makes up nearly half the bod - talk about a horrible clash of colors - there's also a small painted 'Con logo on the right wing.

Key gimmick is pretty cool even though it's a hair-trigger, insert key and out of each wing pops a large blade, the blade is smoke-trans plastic and the leading edge is painted the same metallic as the front of the wing tip, so they conceal nicely. The blades stick out about as far as the head in alt mode, but in bot mode they're the very front of the figure so they're much more imposing.

Transformation is quite simple, really just pull up the head, reposition the arms, and pull down and reposition the legs - only the leg reveal is of much interest, I do like how they pulled it off.

Bot mode is lanky until you get to the wide upper body and wings, giving the figure a tall look. No new detail is added, which is a shame because without the dino head the front of the chest becomes very plain. The yellow head has a small black "mug's" face with narrow red slit eyes. Brimstone's articulation is standard head, ball-jointed shoulders and elbows, hinged thumbs, palms, and claw-sets, rotating lower torso, ball-jointed hips, rotation upper thighs, and hinged knees - the shoulders are on a joint separate from the wings so you can move the wings but keep the arms in their location. The claws aren't too big, but they are big enough to look mean, I haven't figured out how I want them posed yet.

All in all, I like Brimstone more than I thought I would, his colors are a crime against the sighted, and there should be more detail in the bot mode's chest and the transformation is simple, but he's pretty cool.

TF:CY Crosswise - this is a very cool alt mode. I don't like the grill, it makes the car look less sporty but at least they downplayed its rounded shape and added a detail in the front, and other than the grill this thing has remarkable smooth-yet-fast rounded lines; there is no bot kibble at all. It really looks fantastic, except for seeing the bot's arms behind the windshield and the key slot on the back, this is all realistic sportscar (they changed the lines a tiny bit from the Bugatti Veyron to avoid licensing I guess). The car has a very low ride and the plastic wheels don't roll on smooth tabletop, though they do on my wristpad. Mine holds together very nicely and aligns well, at first a tiny bit of the roof in the back and the hood where it meets the windshield were tough to get properly aligned but after a few passes they now cooperate. The pistol accessory can be plugged into the back to look like more engine and a tall, narrow spoiler - plug in the missile and you get a dark green translucent flame - this looks good but I slightly prefer the sleeker lines of the car without. The colors are very nice, all black plastic with silver accents, translucent dark green windows, a little red paint, and an Autobot logo on the hood - except for the faction logo this is a very clean look... marred by them painting the trans-green headlights opaque gold for no reason (they did the same thing with Override).

The key gimmick is extremely cool, insert the key and twin rocket launchers rotate out from the engine compartment very fast. The black launchers aren't big but have great shape and nice detail, the 4 rockets in each aren't removable but are painted gold. In alt mode when everything's properly aligned, the launchers sit on top of the roof so clean it looks like the popped straight up out of the cabin, and the gimmick works even when the gun accessory is attached. In bot mode, the launchers flip over the shoulders which is great too.

Transformation feels almost baffling at first, especially with such a large instruction sheet and how to get the rear halves of the car sides off the doors (the instructions tell you to tilt in the doors, but don't explain how to do this without breaking it since there are several tabs in play). Once you get that stuff figured out, the rest becomes clever and the transformation is alright. Transformation back to alt mode is a little more frustrating with how the arms get into the car mode and how the rest of the car has to line up around that in order.

Bot mode feels like classic Transformers, and not just because of the hood-chest, but also the helmeted head, classic-styled face and waist, and wider body. Crosswise gets away with having emptiness under the hood-chest because there's a central column and plenty of filled in space in the back, so it looks decent even when other TFs weren't able to get away with this. A little more gold is added to the colors, the helmet has a gold top, silver face, and a translucent green visor and "lights" at the top. Although the upper body especially is wide, the proportions feel good The figure should seem kibbly with the doors on the shoulders, the roof & windshield on the left forearm, and the rear halves of the car off the backpack with the running boards up in the air, but somehow it gets away with this too as the roof hinges around to become a non-removable shield, the doors on the shoulders are a bit kibbly but can be positioned around some (the instructions say to have them horizontal but I like 'em better vertical with the windows facing back), and the running boards seem like they belong AND can be rotated to pointing forward aside the hips to become guns - there's even gun-detail sculpting on the inside of 'em. Articulation is decent, there's standard head, the neck can lean back to look up, and ball-jointed shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees - plus the inside of the shoulders are hinged, the feet and heelspurs are positionable, and there's also articulation for the kibble.

All in all, I really like Crosswise, he's not quite Red Alert but he's definitely up there. If the shield were removable and the running boards could be held as rifles, he's be even more awesome, and transforming back to car mode could be better, yet he's still quite the cool customer. He's good enough that I'll buy any reasonably-colored repaint, and I'll definitely recommend him.

JediTricks
01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Found him at Target yesterday, someone grabbed case-mate Downshift tho'.

TF:CY Cybertron Defense Hot Shot - (CDHS for short) Vehicle mode is a narrow armored vehicle with a twin-cannon turret on top, the main colors are Hot Shot's blue plus some black, dark red, silver accents, and a V-Autobot logo painted above the driver's top hatch -- no weathering though, but he doesn't need it the way CD Red Alert did, and CDHS's colorscheme seems police-authentic. Like CD Red Alert, CDHS's alt mode has open slots instead of windows for the front compartment and side doors in the middle. The overall shape is very much armored anglular, with plenty of sculpted details, rivets and vents and even hand tools, there's a minicon hardpoint on either side down by the bottom on some enginey-tech stuff, even the peg handle of the knife sticks out the angled back like an exhaust pipe, it's a pretty complete look all around. There's an odd open drawer shape on the left side, it looks like it should move but it won't, it seems to have no purpose but it holds the cyber key so closely (albeit horizontally) that I'm convinced this is its purpose. The turret is a cool addition, it can rotate, it's shape reminds me a lot of Armada Demolishor's upper body, this turret has guns which can rotate at the back, and it's hinged so it can be in the middle of the vehicle or right above the cockpit. Also, the front bumper halves can swing open to become cannons, and also reveals 8 mini-missile pods. The few small complaints I'd have are that the side doors clearly have something right behind them, the boxes angled off the back are not the best way to hide the feet (not that it looks kibbly though), the robot waist transformation joint won't let the middle of the vehicle close up that last tiny millimeter (barely noticable, but I'm a nitpicker), and on mine, the front wheels are symmetrical so both sides' tread bite towards the road, but the back wheels are identical so one bites away instead - a very easy mistake to make at the factory since they look nearly identical.

The key gimmick is one of the less interesting ones, insert the key into the turret and the tops of the guns flip up to reveal a bank of non-removable mini-missile pods, this reminds me of last wave's Thunderblast except even sillier since there you were trading 4 missiles for 1 big missile/cannon whereas here you're trading 2 guns for a bunch of teeny missiles. Luckily, CDHS's is not hampered by the "eh" gimmick.

Transformation seems simple when it's really not, just about everything is based on pulling pieces out and splitting, but there's plenty to pull out and do. The instructions make the leg/hip transformation seem more complex, but basically just pull out the back of the vehicle and it'll move the waist into position in the same motion. Pulling forward on the vehicle's front end is so short that it's easy to miss it actually moved; it's also easy to forget to extend the lower arms.

Robot mode has a tall feel from the overall shape plus with those high shoulders, but is actually the same overall height as regular Hot Shot while a head shorter for the actual body, so I guess this makes CDHS a small deluxe bot, yet I don't get that feeling from him. Robot mode takes a lot of visual cues from his previous incarnation, the chief details of Hot Shot's head and chest are played into CDHS in color and sculpting yet at the same time everything's different, such as the head with a longer, more "adult" face. If you look from the top of the shoulders, there is some empty space but it's easily forgiven here since it's not the pass-through kind. CDHS's colors are all the same except for the lack of translucent, the yellow paint on this guy is all fairly sloppy, and there's no Autobot logo, but the rest looks good. CDHS's articulation is good, but could be better - he has head, universal joint shoulders, hinged elbows, universal joint hips, and hinged knees - if there had been rotation above and/or below the elbow, that would have been better, same with the knees, but what he really could use is a ball joint for the shoulders instead of universal for the added range of motion (plus it would have been cheaper to make). The articulation and bot itself feel very solid, no weak hips or fall-off parts here; the range of motion allows a lot of character. Like before, there are kibble panels on the outside of the forearms, not as big this time but they do keep his elbow articulation from going past 45 degrees. CDHS has a long knife tabbed between his boots, it can fit in his hand or be pegged into a hole on the front of his fist, and it looks good in both configurations. The turret can hang down at the small of his back where it's out of the way, but it is meant to be up behind his head so the turret can fold forward so its cannons flank his head, these are the only blasters he has here. Activating the gimmick does the same as before, and you can manually open the shoulder panels & the bumpers on the shoulders, and rotate the front of the shins around to reveal a total of 86 mini-missile pods including the 2 unpainted ones on either hip, plus with the gimmick activated and the bumpers open you also have 4 blasters pointing into the sky: Take that Starscream! Ok, so those skyward blasters aren't terribly practical, but still.... And except for the pods on the hips and the ones under the bumpers now facing up, all these pods are painted yellow.

Overall, Cybertron Defense Hot Shot does for me what this line's original Hot Shot didn't, CDHS is exciting and cool. Yes the range of motion could be better and he could have more weapons, but this is a pretty tough Autobot with a solid vehicle mode, nifty weaponry, and a very cool bot mode. I like him a lot, I'd definitely recommend him.

Adam
01-27-2006, 11:09 AM
There is an image floating around from the new club mag that show Alt Mirage in color. Alt mode too. Also first look at 10th Primal and Megs outside of Botcon, as well as the Red Alert repaint named Cannonball we saw via art on the club's website awhile back.

Megs look hawt. Can't really get a good idea on Primal, the pics angle is throwing me off. Cannonball is... interesting. Mirage looks like a winner.

I also just noticed the little blurb and apparently, Cybertron's 2nd half subtitle looks to be "Primus Unleashed!", like Unicron Battles was to Armada and Powerlinx Battles was to Energon.

El Chuxter
01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Any word if we could get a figure, albeit way out of scale, of Primus/Cybertron as shown in the DK Visual Guide (to my knowledge, the only picture ever of Cybertron's robot mode)?

Tycho
01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Alternators:

Sunstreaker - bought
SKids - skip due to weak character
Blaster (repaint) - Buy when available. Blaster is cool! Silver's a good color.
Optimus Prime - skip because 20th Anniversary is more traditional and I have it
Mirage - Buy when available. Mirage was always cool!
Rumble - skip due to senselessness of making a former cassette tape, this (Decepticons are largely jets or military vehicles, some construction machines)

Possible repaints: Rumble might do it - but repainted as an Autobot most likely. Maybe just maybe I'll track down all the Stunticons, but I'm not too keen on Dead End (I have Sideswipe and now Sunstreaker and I don't typically buy repaints, but they are brothers).

Swindle looks cool, but seems like a waste of time since I doubt they ever do Brawl, Vortex, and especially Blast Off traditionally. I've heard rumblings that Onslaught will be a Hummer, but this would be more acceptable to me were it Megatron (with a military cannon attached).

I'm still really waiting for an even $70 Starscream to Alternator scale and I'd buy the repaints as Thundercracker and Skywarp!

JediTricks
01-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Here's the scan: http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=15704295&selected=

Alt Mirage looks very decent, first Alt I've been really excited about in ages.

Megs and Primal look good, but they're deluxe-sized so I'm not really sure about them.

Cannonball does look pretty iffy, they should have put new stuff on top of the car and given him a new head. Decepticon Pirate indeed.

Any word if we could get a figure, albeit way out of scale, of Primus/Cybertron as shown in the DK Visual Guide (to my knowledge, the only picture ever of Cybertron's robot mode)?You mean other than this Primus figure that's coming out later this year?
http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc?&port=33301&req=PRODUCT&code=primus#
or am I misunderstanding you? (btw, I think e-hobby mistransformed the robot mode.)

Tycho
01-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Dang! Mirage has me drooling!

El Chuxter
01-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Very cool indeed. I didn't realize such a figure was in the works. The coloration is different from the DK image, but pretty close otherwise.

Though the image I found on an online search has a background that makes me believe the image in that book originated in Dreamwave's More Than Meets the Eye miniseries....

JediTricks
01-28-2006, 05:32 PM
A little update on Cybertron Defense Hot Shot... over on the BWTF forums, someone in reference to my review's questions about "the drawer" on CDHS mentioned that Remy had a photo of the knife clipped to the outside of the drawer. It turned out that the knife just slides right back off whenever you tip it back, but it led me to come up with a different way for it to hold the knife, so I made this page to explain:

http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/cdhs/

Adam
01-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Primal and Megs should be Mega's, not Deluxes. At least that's what I remember them being at botcon.

Tycho
01-29-2006, 12:47 AM
In light of the "success" of the Star Wars Transformers, Hasbro is going to make a famous car line:

"In-Bred" will transform into the General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard.

"Bay Watch" will transform into KITT from Knight Rider. His repaint will be called "Speedo" and transform into KARR.

"Sucker" will transform into the A-Team van.

More will be announced soon.

Chaddymac
01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
A little update on Cybertron Defense Hot Shot... over on the BWTF forums, someone in reference to my review's questions about "the drawer" on CDHS mentioned that Remy had a photo of the knife clipped to the outside of the drawer. It turned out that the knife just slides right back off whenever you tip it back, but it led me to come up with a different way for it to hold the knife, so I made this page to explain:

http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/cdhs/
neat, JT! I picked up Downshift. This guy is surprisingly a lot of fun and I just can't help falling in love with his vehicle mode!! The big guns are a little...well, big. And they don't really belong on a Dodge Charger, but the whole package is worth the buy. I'm happy with him.

JediTricks
01-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Primal and Megs should be Mega's, not Deluxes. At least that's what I remember them being at botcon. Really? That'd be nice, but they say they're the 3rd wave of the BW 10th Anniv line which has been all $15 pricetagged deluxes, so that's how I made that assumption, plus they kinda look like Deluxes in the photo.

Tycho, don't badmouth the General Lee or KITT! I love them cars.

Chaddy, that's awesome, where did you find him? It better not have been Duarte Target. :D

Tycho
01-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Tycho, don't badmouth the General Lee or KITT! I love them cars.

Oh I do too, but Hasbro's already taken it too far with SW Transformers.

Next wave in the famous auto line:

Stiller - Transforms into Starsky & Hutch's car
Bat-Trap - Transforms into the Batmobile
Web Slinger - Transforms into Spider-Man's Uncle's sedan
X-Box - Transforms into Wolverine's motorcycle
X-Caliber - Transforms into the X-men's jet
Californicator - Transforms into the Terminator Skull Crusher Tank
Mr. Fusion - Transforms into the Back to the Future flying DeLorian
Snow Job - Transforms into Miami Vice's white Ferrari Testarosa

Help Hasbro come up with some more of these gems....

darthvyn
01-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Web Slinger - Transforms into Spider-Man's Uncle's sedan

or the spider-mobile (http://www.samruby.com/Spiderverse/Spidermobile/spidermobile.htm)

actually, if they did these well, this is a series that could sell! that's a very big if, however...

JediTricks
01-30-2006, 04:14 PM
I have never seen such a heavy backlash of b****ing from SW collectors in all my life, here we have the stupid SW Custom Choppers and Unleashed Battlepacks hitting shelves RIGHT NOW yet all SW fans can do is complain about this line. This is HARDLY the worst thing Hasbro's done, even to the Transformers line, look at Go-Go-Gobots for Primus' sake! It's embarassing to be a SW fan with such behavior from fellow fans.

Tycho
01-30-2006, 04:20 PM
It's embarassing to be a SW collector, be with some of your non-collector friends in a store, see the SW Transformers, and be asked "are you going to also collect THOSE???"

El Chuxter
01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
I think everyone's complaining about the Custom Choppers and Unleashed Battlepacks just as much as about the SW Transformers, but you're a big TF buff so you notice that more. ;)

JediTricks
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
No way, I *guarantee* you for sure that nobody is complaining about those a fifth as much as they are these, this is easily the worst I've ever seen, worse than Playskool SW/Galactic Heroes, worse than Jedi Force (which really friggin' deserved it), worse than Force Battlers, worse than Attacktix, worse than the SW potatoheads, worse than Choppers, worse than the Unleashed Battlepacks, worse than the Clone Wars animated line.

It's embarassing to be a SW collector, be with some of your non-collector friends in a store, see the SW Transformers, and be asked "are you going to also collect THOSE???"What? This from the guy who collects the Jedi Force line, the G.Heroes, the SW Potatoheads?!? Ridiculous, maybe it's just because they know what you collect. I've listened to people eyeing the SWTFs in Target many times, people are interested, they carry them around, they look at them, they consider them, the only time one can even find them usually is when they're hidden on the bottom shelf because the pegs are always sold out.

plasticfetish
01-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Two quick bits of blabber...

1) I'm not accepting the chopper things as a part of my reality, so there's nothing to complain about. They don't exist. (What choppers?)

2) As much as I don't care for them, (and to be honest I stopped seriously collecting TFs a while ago anyway), the SWTFs are selling really well near me. Also, my kid has looked at them and likes them, so...

Tycho
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
There is nothing abnormal about a grown man who plays with Mr. Potato Heads.

So stop picking on me! :upset:

JediTricks
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Stop unduly picking on SWTFs, you've had your ample say on the matter in general. (that's really more a broad statement than a directed one.)

Chaddymac
01-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Chaddy, that's awesome, where did you find him? It better not have been Duarte Target. :D
Found them at the Target in Culver City. That place has been a mess for weeks. There was just the two, as well.

plasticfetish
01-31-2006, 04:52 AM
The other day was new magazine day, and so here's some scans for you guys...

Tycho
01-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Another Opitimus Prime? This one looks pretty good. What collection, scale is it?

Who is the other guy? Don't tell me it is a SW Transformer that turns into the Death Star?

El Chuxter
01-31-2006, 11:55 AM
My guess would be Primus, the god of the Transformers and arch-enemy of Unicron the Chaos-Bringer, who sacrificed himself to destroy Unicron by trapping them both in barren planetoids. Only it didn't work quite as planned, and we got Cybertron (and Primus' children, the Transformers) and a big ol' planet-eatin' SOB.

Tycho
01-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I am a dork and was just thinking how cool it would be to have a Transformer turn into the ZZ Top car!

What other famous rock n roadsters could they do?

El Chuxter
01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
They could make a James Dean who transforms into a battle-damaged, uh, whatever type of car it was that he drove. :eek:

JediTricks
01-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the 411 Chaddy, I hope I track that one down today.

Thanks for the scans PF, THS Convoy looks pretty good, but I still don't know about the forearms and the alt mode. THS (Transformers Hybrid Style) Convoy painted: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5472
http://www.fantofan.jp/news/mag/figureking/fk96-6.jpg

Tycho
01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
So what is he? 20th Anniversary Prime repainted or made with metal and they added a trailer? I need to find out if you can buy that trailer separately. I think you could from some source but it escaped me while I was in the hospital.

And I have only Sunstreaker here. I have to find my other T's in storage.

El Chuxter
01-31-2006, 09:27 PM
I found two new Alternators today: Rollbar and Ricochet. I wasn't even aware of these, but there they were. (It's somewhat rare for figures to completely sneak up on me anymore. :))

Rollbar is a orange repaint of Swindle, and Ricochet is a black Smokescreen with a mediocre fire effect. I couldn't justify getting these at $20 each. They didn't look stellar in vehicle mode, and robot mode, well, I can't have three figures that look exactly alike standing together.

A simple head swap or name change could've done it, though. Like if the Swindle repaint were green, yellow, and silver, and named Brawn, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. But I don't remember the original Rollbar very well at all (Throttlebot, right?), and don't remember Ricochet at all. So these stayed on the shelf.

I have a feeling many will think like me, and these will be easier to find than most other recent Alternators. Shoot, Sunstreaker may have been Viper #3, but it was based on an Autobot we know and love.

Tycho
02-01-2006, 01:14 AM
I agree with you Chux. BTW, what is up between you and Hayden Christensen? Your avitars make it look like you two broke off your love affair. Was Obi-Wan holding him back again? ;)

Adam
02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
So what is he? 20th Anniversary Prime repainted or made with metal and they added a trailer?

Nope, this Prime is teeny tiny. 10 cm, but has great articulation and is fully transformable.

darthvyn
02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
I found two new Alternators today: Rollbar and Ricochet. I wasn't even aware of these, but there they were. (It's somewhat rare for figures to completely sneak up on me anymore. :))

wow, that is weird. we must be slipping in our old age...

ricochet looks kinda cool. i love how the first comment on this page below says something about how the back liscense plate says "new jersey" on it...

http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5394

i actually really like the colors on rollbar.

http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=Transformers%2FAlternators%2FChecklist&pic=69.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60

don't know if i'm gonna get either of these, though.

EDIT: i found alt.prowl today... he's better than i envisioned, but not by much. i can't get the arms back under the hood, i'll have to scrutinize the directions. the protruding chestpiece doesn't bother me as much as i expected it to, but the legs lack of articulation is kinda a drag. i found this (http://www.tfmaster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2896) demonstration of how to swap them around so the knees bend more, however, it makes him look more like grim/jack. i think i'll stick with the way it is for now. it seems easy to do, and easily reversible - but i just got him. if it still bothers me in a month, i might do the switch...

Tycho
02-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Hopefully this picture will post. It is definitely "Energon and Beyond."

Don't let your imaginations get too carried away guys...

JediTricks
02-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Found Downshift last night at Target, he wasn't on the pegs but CDHS was, I was crushed with disappointment but only seconds later looked to the right and saw Downshift sitting on the shelf nearby: huzzah!

TF:CY Downshift - once again we're seeing G1 Wheeljack's head on another character's name because Hasbro gave away the Wheeljack name to a totally different Armada character and ever since it's been screwed up, they haven't lost the name, but the main line (Armada/Energon/Cybertron) is stuck for now. However, on this Downshift figure, I'm not really sure having Wheeljack's head on this muscle car makes any sense anyway.

Downshift's vehicle mode is based on a late '60s/early '70s muscle car, more specifically it's roughly an early-'70s Plymouth Barracuda, the haunches of the rear fenders and the green and black paintjob suggest this, though some of the lines have been changed for various reasons, giving it a mid-'70s feel as well. Overall I'd say the shape is very muscle car-cool with great aggresive-yet-squared lines, a nifty grill, the hood scoops, and even the right kind of taillights - it's unusual to see a classic car Transformer, I suspect this was some designer's pet project. Vehicle mode even has an empty upper cabin with the top halves of the dash, steering wheel, and seats sculpted in place adding to the realism; the roof is even subtley sculpted to be a landau top. I don't like the engine block sticking out the top of the hood and cutting into the windshield, it's too small and too far back, they needed something to cover the head here, but I think they should have just continued the hood's lines with a new panel instead. The wheels are only "alright", but they do keep the ride hight low without being a bottom-scraper, and there's even a few underside details sculpted in. The vehicle is very solid and except for the tech details on the back window and the hole near the back of either rear fender, the disguise is complete - you can even open the doors partway while leaving the black panel behind them in place. Colorwise, you have green with a black hood, roof, and side stripe, plus silver accents, orange translucent for the windows and headlights, a dark gray stripe that blends perfectly with a piece of the articulation, red taillights, and an Autobot logo tampoed on the front of the hood -- everything about the deco looks great, although there is one odd black panel just ahead of the rear wheelwell that should have been painted green. The total package is a very exciting car.

The accessories are a pair of large missile-launching blasters, usually the missiles make TF guns look worse but in this case they have sculpted vented barrel details which make the guns look better. The guns have a standard peg at the top and bottom, but the bottom one is meant for vehicle mode where the guns peg into the rear fenders and are designed to line them up against the body a certain way, they even create voids above the wheels. The green, black, and dark gray goes perfectly with the car, and they're held in such a way that it wouldn't be hard to believe them sliding out from the car body rather than pegging in. As if there wasn't enough classic car theme on Downshift, the triggers on the guns form low angled fins for the car!

The key gimmick is interesting, and I love how they hid the key slot: in keeping the car's lines as pure as possible, the middle of the rear window has some silver tech detail but no slot, you actually have to flip the window panel up to create the slot. Inserting the key causes the front grill to pop forward and open into translucent orange jaws, Hasbro calls this a capture claw but in my mind the real interesting element is the big pointy thing in between, to me it's a big hidden blaster. The key can be stored in the slot without leaving the gimmick activated.

Transformation is fun, it's not terribly complex but I find it very satisfying. Open the doors, separate the rear end, swing it and waist all the way around then straighten the legs, fold down the arms from the doors, flip open the heelspurs and doors hiding the feet, and finally fold down the upper cabin to create the back and reveal the head which turtles up via spring power while allowing the Wheeljack-ears to fold down.

Downshift's bot mode is straightforward but again, I find it very satisfying... with one caveat: Wheeljack's head still seems out of place on this green and black muscle car-square body, so it's odd that this Downshift's head is even more like the Wheeljack character than Energon Downshift, though both share the "square head with round shape" concept. The body has wide shoulders/shoulderpads formed by the horizontal doors, a horizontal car front end chest, and moderately-large boots formed by the rear end -- I'd call it an "average" transformer body type, tough but not bulky, with stuff sticking out but not to excess unlike some other Transformers of late and what's great is that nothing feels like kibble here, everything seems justified to me (except maybe the underside of the now-vertical engine block behind the head). The shoulders are set back a little, and with the long hood chest the arms can't reach past that. There's plenty of sculpted detail, especially revealed at the waist, except the shoulders and arms which are a little plain. The colors remain essentially the same, adding more dark gray plastic and a little dull gold paint on the knees and for the eyes; also, there's translucent orange plastic from the windshield and engine block underside seen from the front which makes the translucent orange ears on the head get lost in the look. Downshift has rotating shoulders with a very limited hinge from transformation, a second hinge for the arm proper, a hinged elbow, ball-jointed hips, universal knees (they rotate at the boot rather than the thigh-end), and limited head articulation (a couple degrees to the right, even less to the left) -- the articulation isn't exemplary, but except for the neck what he does get works well for him. I don't mind the lack of waist articulation, but I wish there had been a mid-bicep swivel. The key gimmick works exactly the same as vehicle mode, which is pretty cool since the cab with the key slot is now rotated down 90 degrees. The guns can peg into his fists, but are also designed so they can clip to his shoulders which looks good and balanced too.

Bottom line, Downshift is an odd homage but a very cool bot in his own rite and has a great alt mode which isn't hurt by the key gimmick or the external accessories. I know some fans won't like him because he has Wheeljack's head, and some won't like him because he's not super-articulated, but I think he's a pretty killer toy, Downshift is awesome.

darthvyn
02-09-2006, 08:53 PM
picked up alt.skids the other day... he's actually really cool. very complex and different transformation from other alts, and the pics definitely don't to him justice. recommended.

Tycho
02-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm waiting for a character that I care about, but yes, the mold looks good. I'm still hoping for an Ironhide repaint or something.

I passed on Richchet and Rollbar(?) the other day. Talk about ugly repaints. I'm proud to say I didn't buy Grimlock but waited for Wheeljack, and Sunstreaker is the only repaint I own.

darthvyn
02-10-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm proud to say I didn't buy Grimlock but waited for Wheeljack, and Sunstreaker is the only repaint I own.

yeah, i can't say the same... at this point i have smokescreen and silverstreak, sideswipe and sunstreaker, grimlock and wheeljack, windcharger and decepticharge, jazzmeister and shockwaveblast, hound and swindle, tracks and ravage, and then prowl and skids. in fact, the only guys i don't have at this point are dead-end and swerve.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Dead-End is one of my favorites! Great vehicle mode. I only have a few repaints/remolds: Dead-End, Battle Ravage (kinda regret that now), Shockblast (another of my favorites), and Decepticharge - the rest really turned me off, Wheeljack being the closest to a purchase but I didn't like how Grimlock turned out.

Adam
02-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Now this is still a rumor. However the enquirer has been right about a few things lately so I thought it worth posting.

http://www.insidepulse.com/articles/46468

" The TF Movie Toy

Hasbro will be re-releasing 20th Anniversary Prime for the 20th Anniversary of the original TF movie. It is said to have "movie related accessories with a new movie deco." Now, this could be just a straight re-release, but my guess would be they give us either the Takara non-battle damaged version or a complete new redeco. Could we get a white Prime for when he dies? Or will it be Magnus? I think my first guess is the most probably. What about the new parts? My honest guess is that we won't get anything new except maybe a copy of the movie. Honestly, what else could they put in from the movie? It's slated to be released in October

I checked up on this one with my buddy Chris, who works at TRU, and he said they have a new SKN for a 20th anniversary Prime (not the old Prime) in their computers.

The TF Classic Line:

Deluxe
Optimus Prime (with out Trailer)
Bumblebee
Starscream
Hot Rod
Astrotrain
Grimlock
TBD (To be Decided)
TBD

All of these are set to be released in October except for Grimlock, Astrotrain, and the 2 TBDs, which are set for February.

Voyager
Megatron
Jetfire
Prime with trailer
Soundwave

Megs and Jetfire are set for October and Prime and Soundwave for Feb "

I can't wait to see what these look like! Especially Jetfire. I also think its highly likely we will get an Ultra Magnus in the Voyager line as well. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Hasbro's too cheap to release new molds for just the movie anniversary, especially since they gotta crank out new ones next year for the live movie. My bet is minimal repainting in new packaging, maybe a pack-in like movie trading cards but probably not.

Found this over on Dave Van Domelen's site, Maisto is apparently releasing RoboRods: http://www.maisto.com/RoboRods.html

These are quite truly pathetic! :D Maisto has been on a bad downward slide for years now, this may be the death knell.

BTW, the 1/18th asian alternators wannabe line with Toyota cars is getting released here in the US, that should be cool even though they're stealing Has/Tak's transformation schemes.

JediTricks
02-14-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm adapting my action figure review style to Transformers, I'm dumping the packaging note altogether 'cause I don't care about that aspect, these are meant to be opened and enjoyed.

TF:CY Cybertron Defense Scattorshot

Voyager-class (aka Mega, $20 pricepoint) Cybertron Defense Scattorshot - CDS in this review - is the 3rd and final member of the Cybertron Defense team (the Vanguard team in the Japanese version. Like his teammates, Scattorshot got a new heavily-armed and -armored form. Scattorshot was originally a Scout-class (aka Basic) figure, so this is a big change.

Paint-Deco: 5/5
CDS takes his colorscheme from his previous self, Scattorshot was mainly blue with some dark blue and dull tan/mustard, same with CDS, it was good then and still good now. Scattorshot had 2 large gray missiles, CDS has 2 large light-blue/gray rocket boxes. There's also some silver and gold painted accents, I especially like the work on the individual rocket tips and faded silver on the brush-cutter. CDS's head is dull tan/mustard which is different from Scattorshot's blue head, the blue was better to me; the face has a nifty translucent yellow visor and goggles surrounded by dark blue, and the lower face is silver. The Autobot logo has the Vanguard-"V" like the other 2, and is on the front quarter of the figure's right rocket box.

Vehicle Mode: 4.5/5
CDS' alt mode is a rocket tank, the tank itself is low and then there's a massive turret on top with a huge rocket bank box. The tank seems a little small, but I don't think it's meant to be in scale with either of the other CD members; like the other 2 CD guys, this vehicle mode is solid. The tank is nicely detailed, and has a set of long facade tracks on either side - 4 small wheels actually do the rolling work. The front of the tank has a large brushcutter, a big angled plate with huge teeth, the cutter blade halves can be lowered and raised and they even sculpted (non-moving) hydrolic rams. The middle of the top of the tank is a hole showing off the back of the legs and the ground, the turret distracts from it but it's still not great. The massive turret rotates at the back and can elevate past 45 degrees, but doing so reveals the upside-down bot head; the upper left quarter of the rocket box has a section cut out exposing the cannon inside, this is for the gimmick mode's aesthetic. The figure comes with a rifle, oddly it doesn't have a dedicated storage point, but with the standard peg-hole on the back, you can attach it to either of the minicon hardpoints near the back of the tank, mine fits perfectly on the tab sticking out the rocket box's right side (but I have heard someone else's doesn't), and my favorite storage location is to set it between the bot's forearms so it makes a cannon under the turret - this is loose though so you can't raise or turn the rocket box or it'll fall off.

Cyber Key Gimmick: 5/5
CDS has 2 separate gimmicks, there's a key slot on the back of both halves of the rocket bank, the bulk of the right side of the box springs over sideways popping up a translucent yellow targeting reticule, from here you slide the lever on the side all the way forward to reveal a spring-loaded missile launcher with twin dark gold missiles shaped like gun barrels. The left side of the box springs open the same way, but partway through the action releases a spring-out barrel, creating a big cannon. In robot mode, the cannon half of the box slides forward so it fits over CDS's fist; the missile half doesn't slide, so it looks more like an over-the-shoulder weapon, too bad the reticule faces away from the figure. These are among my favorite key gimmicks in the line, lots of thought went into making these cool, each has a tab which sits just above the fist hole as a facade grip, and they even included a large working hinge on each purely for looks.

Transformation: 2.5/5
CDS has a very simple transformation: swing around 2 panels, fold down the feet, fold the shoulders forward, swing out the fists, and swing up the head. Yet somehow, it doesn't feel entirely unsatisfying, there's just enough going on to make it acceptable, especially with such a nifty finish result.

Bot Mode: 5/5
CDS looks big and tough without being ridiculous. Not counting the missiles on regular Scattorshot's back, in bot mode CDS is twice as tall as his former self; CDS is also taller CD Hot Shot (vastly if you don't notice CDHS' tall shoulders), and nearly eye-to-eye with Ultra-class CD Red Alert; CD Scattorshot is a decent-sized Mega. Bot mode has a few visual connections to little Scattorshot - the circles on the shoulders, the tank treads on the shins, the visor - but is chiefly his own man... er, machine. CDS's head has the visor and goggles, but this time the goggles are small and the visor stands out so you know what's what. There's some good detailing all around, armored chest, a couple pipes, they even sculpted the backs of the tank treads on all 4 halves, the whole thing looks great, there's even tech detailing in the void in the back where the head was stowed. Bot mode has big boots - starting with knee armor and ending in big feet with 8 toes made up from the brushcutter - it's not way over the top and is further offset by the long rocket box halves on the outer side of each arm. The rocket banks are longer than the arm but don't stick out too far above or below the arm so it looks good there, it looks like serious weaponry coming your way. The rifle has great details and fits well in either fist, it has a sight and a pump-like grip under the 2 secondary barrels; you can still store it on the minicon hardpoints (this does get in the way of the rocket banks tho') or peg it into either hole on the left arm's box half or either peg on the right arm's box half, but like the way it looks pegged into either screwhole in the lower back - it doesn't stay in too great because the holes are too big and the slight angle is what keeps it in play, but with the barrel sticking up just above the head it looks totally cool. The gun can peg into the underside of the fists. The rocket bank gimmicks make for fantastic weaponry on this bot, now he has the regular rifle, the huge rifle, a twin missile launcher, and 22 rocket tips all brought to bear - CDS is a dangerous muthah!.

Articulation: 4.5/5
Bot mode has 16 points of articulation: head, universal shoulder, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, waist, universal hips, hinged knees, and rotating boots, plus the transformation allows the fists to swing in and the feet and heelspurs to angle down. The mid-thigh looks like it rotates but does not (I wish it did, it and the wrists are the only real articulation missing). All CDS's articulation works great, almost nothing is impeded, even the head with its fold-around transformation can look 45 degrees either way; the only joint that gets impeded is the bicep swivel because the rocket banks are in the way on each arm until you bend the elbows (or on the right side, slide the box forward). Nearly everything's a ratchet, and no joint is loose.

Overall: A
Cybertron Defense Scattorshot is the best of the team, and one of the more nifty figures in the whole line. The colors are good, the articulation is great, the weaponry is awesome, the details are nice, and the gimmicks are very slick. CDS is tough without seeming like a slow, overgrown brute, it's been rare to get great Transformers over the $10 point, but like CD Red Alert and Optimus Prime in this line, CD Scattorshot is a real winner.

Adam
02-25-2006, 10:15 PM
TFU Build team has finally been released, picked up the set on sale no less. $16.99 a peice.

JediTricks
02-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Still at Target? I was there on Friday (4 of 'em) but didn't see 'em. I'd definitely buy the 2 sets.

JediTricks
03-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Spotted the TF:Universe Decepticon Build Team 2packs at Target Eagle Rock on Friday, I didn't have the scratch and the amount of purple made me a little apprehensive.

I hit a bunch of Targets yesterday and Friday and found a lot of TF:CY Lugnutz figures, but not a single Scrapmetal which concerns me. I bought Lugnutz, my opinion is he sucks. Great alt mode (despite garish orange and gold color), interesting transformation, awful bot mode with monster kibble the likes of which should never be foisted on a Transformer again, the front end hangs off the shoulders getting in the way and not being of any use, the entire rear end becomes one of the most offensively poor backpacks of all time, and the torso needs to peg onto it to avoid flopping so naturally the pegs don't hold at all. Very disappointing even from the low expectations the intial photos suggested.

JediTricks
03-05-2006, 09:52 PM
And here's my review...

TF:CY Lugnutz - here's a figure the preview photos looked kinda odd, maybe not even good, but interesting. Unfortunately, this figure's bot mode doesn't live up to even "interesting", coming off as a mess, and it kills the figure. I hate his name though, it's silly and easily made fun of, plus it makes no sense since motorcycles don't use lugnuts to hold their wheels on, his Japanese name "Roadstorm" was perfectly fine too. I don't care about his "interesting" character bio because the toy just doesn't deserve it.

Paint-Deco: 3.5/5
Orange with gold flames sounds garish, and it is. They're just both too loud for each other, but it's not entirely outlandish for a Harley Davidson like this, and it is well-applied. The paint is consistant with the plastic it matches. There's also black plastic, and metallic gray and darker gray plastics, they look alright but not stunning. There's silver paint here and there which just contrasts how uninspiring the gray plastic looks. The left saddlebox isn't orange at all, just black and silver, so it's unbalanced. The headlight is blue and the taillight is red, they look good, and the licenseplate is white with a well-centered purple Decepticon logo. Lugnutz's head is black with a dark silver face and yellow sunglasses-shaped eyes. In the vehicle mode, the colors are balanced, but in bot mode all the orange ends up above the waist which only makes bot mode's failures further stand out.

Vehicle Mode: 4.5/5
Lugnutz's vehicle mode is basically a Harley Davidson-style motorcycle, big fenders, wide seat, saddleboxes off the rear fender, it's a classic look. This bike is a little stretched in the back, but does a good job of hiding that. It also hides its robot roots well, the oiltank and rear half of the seat is actually the thighs, the transmission and footboards are the lower legs, the gas tank is the torso and head, and the engine is the arms, even from the bottom this bike doesn't belie its robot-in-disguise elements; the only thing that doesn't get hidden well is the gimmick stuff from the saddleboxes. There are great details like the exhaust pipes leading into the gimmick's tailpipe (though it doesn't line up quite as perfectly as it was designed to, there's 2 milimeters of gap between them even though there's a peg and hole meant to meet up), wide handlebars with levers, and the engine looks pretty nifty; Lugnutz's gun "Dutch" tabs oddly into the saddlebox and transmission to create the left side tailpipe, another headlight, and the footpeg which holds the bike upright. Oddly, the tread patterns on the front and back plastic tires go in opposite directions from each other. The front forks don't turn, but the wheels spin freely.

Cyber Key Gimmick: 2.5/5
This is a disappointment, it's a very plain gimmick and disrupts the look of the saddelboxes on the rear fender, the only credit I can give it is that the action crosses inside the fender even though the wheel should be in the way. Insert the key into the left box and a grenade launcher springs out the right box. The launcher is dark gray plastic, no paint whatsoever, plain sculpting with 3 grenades exposed under the main launcher waiting to load up. In bike mode, it ends up aiming up above the handlebars; in bot mode it stops early hitting the torso and points straight ahead.

Transformation: 2.5/5
There's enough to do with this basic that it's interesting, but the way things are moving is a little unsatisfying. And the way the torso locks into the backpack is not only cheap but ineffective as the whole thing easily pops back apart.

Articulation: 2/5
Lugnutz has 10 POA: limited ball-jointed shoulders, double-hinged elbows, ball-jointed hips, and hinged knees. Luggy can stand on his own even with all that hunchback kibble, but it ain't pretty. The legs have plenty of range but can't take most alternate poses lest he fall down. The arms are limited due to their horrendous kibble running into the horrendous kibble of the backpack, the ball joints don't allow any movement except when the arms are down or up, and when in front of the figure they actually have to angle in towards the torso. Bottom line, poseability is downright pitiful.

Bot Mode: 1.5/5
If you didn't have to look at the front end halves hanging off either shoulder, and you could overlook the backpack wider and deeper than the figure itself, Luggy would seem like a very cool, lean robot, but sadly it was not meant to be. This robot's face has a lot of character in it despite being relatively simple, the wraparound sunglasses are a good touch. The arms from the engine look pretty nifty, but the legs being so long make them seem pretty stubby - which is too bad because the legs are nothing special. I loathe how the torso comes together, if you look from the side at all there's a big empty hole where the main body should be, and the tank raised up around the head seems wasteful. The lower torso matches the legs in that it's not as interesting as the upper body. Oh, and have I mentioned enough how awful the kibble about the shoulders and the over the top backpack are? "Dutch" the gun doesn't inspire either, it's like a trombone with a tailpipe at the end, if he could hold it sideways to how he does it might be nifty, but it only fits in his right fist. The right arm can only be out in front straight, can't be bent, and when straight out it's at an angle plus the gun is at even more of an angle so he can't even look where he's pointing the thing. So you have a robot who is made out of just 1/3rd of the vehicle, and they chose to throw the other 2/3rds of the bike up around the shoulders for no reason whatsoever and gave him a gun he can't really use that well.

Overall: D
As nifty as the vehicle mode may be, it's done in by an unattractive gimmick and a disappointing robot who can't do much. These are Transformers, the transformation means something and the robot mode means something, yet this figure delivers on neither. There was a good idea in there somewhere deep down I think, and a deluxe might have made better use of the front and rear ends, but this basic figure is just a mess.

Chaddymac
03-05-2006, 10:55 PM
I agree with the review, JT. That said...I couldn't keep my hands off of Lugnutz (may the teasing begin...)

Seriously, though, there aren't enough motorcycle transformers and I guess when you consider how crappy the transformations tend to be it's pretty obvious why. But the last two we had was a dirt bike and a ninja cycle, so I'm glad to get a roadhog in the mix. Roadhog...that would've been a decent name...

I haven't found the Build Team yet, but you can bet I'll buy it when I do. Decepticons are supposed to be purple. Crayola should rename purple "Decepticon". And the Devestator nostalgia is irresistable. Irresistable!

JediTricks
03-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Roadhog would have been better, that's a good one. It's like they're not even trying with these names anymore.

I don't get them, why have the entire rear end turn into a backpack? That's a LOT of backpack! Ok, let's say it's because of the gimmick, why not turn the rear end into the central torso instead? The figure doesn't even HAVE a friggin' central torso for the most part! And how about making the front end into SOMETHING? Even just removable pieces that become blade weapons!

Not every 'Con has to be purple, and the original Devastator was mostly green with purple, not purple with green: http://tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Devastator/devastator.htm

(ps - I had forgotten how sh***y that gestalt figure actually looks :p)

Chaddymac
03-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Roadhog would have been better, that's a good one. It's like they're not even trying with these names anymore.

I don't get them, why have the entire rear end turn into a backpack? That's a LOT of backpack! Ok, let's say it's because of the gimmick, why not turn the rear end into the central torso instead? The figure doesn't even HAVE a friggin' central torso for the most part! And how about making the front end into SOMETHING? Even just removable pieces that become blade weapons!

Not every 'Con has to be purple, and the original Devastator was mostly green with purple, not purple with green: http://tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Devastator/devastator.htm

(ps - I had forgotten how sh***y that gestalt figure actually looks :p)
Damn...the hypnosis is wearing off. Where's Aaron Archer? We need to put him under right away or he may realize how much Armada and Energon sucked too.

Adam
03-21-2006, 02:00 PM
MP-03 is official. Masterpeice Starscream.

Tycho
03-21-2006, 04:58 PM
What does MP Starscream mean? I know what MasterPiece stands for.

But is this a "scaled to Alernators (sort of)" size replica of an F-15 Eagle that transforms into a G-1 Replica of the offficial Starscream? Or is it one of those Cybertron bad copies? Any pictures yet?

(I love Starscream!)

Meanwhile, Skids, Ricochet, Rollbar, and (unlikely as I'd have thought) Sunstreaker are really pilling up the dust at my stores. I fear Mirage will not ship on time because of these bad repaints being so undesirable. I could care less for the pickup Prime, but I'd buy that character repainted (as Ironhide or Kup, for example). I'd also buy Skids as an American version of Broadblast (Blaster) - didn't like Skids original issue color (nor Scions for that matter) to begin with, but the Japanese Broadblast looks alright I guess.

Anyway, I hope Alternators don't choke right now. I at least want Mirage!

Adam
03-22-2006, 01:48 PM
MP is like the 20th Anniversary Prime. This insert was included with the just released Hybrid Style G1 Convoy (Optimus Prime).

http://www.tfw2005.com/news/data/upimages/1142799568.jpg

Most likely will be in the same scale as Masterpeice Prime.

Tycho
03-22-2006, 04:35 PM
That will be so awesome! I can't wait until there are more pictures and a scale shot showing Starscream next to MP Prime or some Alternators.

JediTricks
03-22-2006, 07:27 PM
I picked up Cybertron Swindle yesterday at TRU - el sucko.

Bossk77
03-22-2006, 07:41 PM
All i have to say is they really need to go back to metal and screws. Ball joints are fun and all, but you cant fix them when they wear down. Plus they hurt more when you beat your sibling with them after they break the arms off of your 15th optimus prime G1. (all previous broke for the same reason) Ah the memories. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
With ball joints, you put a coat of clear nail polish on to bulk up the joint, that's the general tip I've been given from those in the know. However, I've never had one wear down the way you describe and I've been collecting ball-jointed TFs for a decade now, either they're already loose when I get 'em in the package or they ain't.

Bossk77
03-22-2006, 10:58 PM
With ball joints, you put a coat of clear nail polish on to bulk up the joint, that's the general tip I've been given from those in the know. However, I've never had one wear down the way you describe and I've been collecting ball-jointed TFs for a decade now, either they're already loose when I get 'em in the package or they ain't.

I havent tried the nailpolish trick. with screw joints you just put a piece of paper in the joint and screw it back in, problem solved. The nice thing is that Hasbo has the Transformers made for sale in the American market produced with tighter joints. The Japanise, for some reason like joints looser. Hey Tricks, what is your fav Transformer that you own and why?

I am torn between my G1 Scorpinok, G1 Scourge, and G1 Predaking.

Adam
03-23-2006, 01:18 AM
I picked up Cybertron Swindle yesterday at TRU - el sucko.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Swindle is great! Esplain!

JediTricks
03-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Hey Tricks, what is your fav Transformer that you own and why?I'm not sure I have "a" favorite, I have a lot of current Cybertron and Alternators line figures I like right now, and some G1 favs too, but I couldn't even whittle it down to a list of top 3 I suspect. 20th Anniv Prime is probably near the top though, that sucker rocks. But that's an easy answer, you know? There are a lot of other ones I dig a lot too, he's just the "crown jewel" piece. Nearly all my favorites have great robot modes, great articulation, fantastic transformations, and very nice alt modes - character bios are not really my thing, so it's all about the toy for me.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Swindle is great! Esplain!I've previously said that I think Hardtop sucks bad, crappy alt mode, uber-lame gimmick, kibbley bot mode, and awful colors, so Swindle had the chips stacked against him.

I was hoping his colors would work better, but Swindle's bright yellow is an eyesore, there's no 2 ways about it. And the dark maroon goes SO poorly with it. The only colors that work even a little are the brown and the dark gray.

Swindle's alt mode still sucks, uninspired shape, awful cockpit, horrid empty sad lower rear-end. The key gimmick still sucks too - long gun into slightly longer gun.

Robot mode is still flawed on the same merits as the original. Also, one of the reasons I got this figure is because I saw that the blank chest plate finally had some detail, a faction logo, but the clowns at Hasbro put it way up at the top instead of at the middle, so it looks very last-minute. The yellow head elements are gloppy paint. The body in yellow loses too much of its badly-needed detail. Yellow, maroon, brown is a bad robot color combination.

Tycho
03-23-2006, 06:05 PM
20TH Anniversary Prime is the best there ever was. I got him only thanks to El Chuxter. I hope I still have him. All my Alternators except for Sunstreaker who I got after my accident, were packed up and put in storage (I hope). I have a lot of stuff I'm going through in there right now, but don't work on it too often as it's rather depressing. I hope Prime is in there and OK. What's more, his weapons would be separate from the truck (the mode he was last in before my accident I believe). I'm mostly finding my Plamates Star Trek stuff in my organizing missions in storage as of lately.

I only had a few Alternators, so I really want them back and to display in my new place:

Optimus Prime (20th)
Sideswipe
Smokescreen
Hound
Meister
Tracks
Wheeljack

That's it I think. Mirage is the next purchase I plan on - and MP edition Starscream when they release him. (My first Decepticon!)

Tycho
03-24-2006, 01:06 AM
What Transformer are you?

This was on the boards at MySpace:

http://www.quizilla.com/users/hotrodimusprime/quizzes/Transformers%20Generation%20One%20Personality%20Te st

I was actually Optimus Prime. I was both honored and surprised. I answered the survey honestly, but many of my answers were more "Perceptor" than "Prime" I thought (not intentionally making them that way either). But nevertheless I am very "Optimus Prime" like. Let us know who you get.

El Chuxter
03-24-2006, 01:09 AM
It won't come as a surprise to anyone who knows me, but

You are Grimlock. Arrogant and fearsome, you would take over Optimus Prime's job in a second. Sometimes it's kind of hard to tell which side you're on in the first place. You are extremely deadly and are always quite easy to resort to violence. Matter of fact you haven't really ever resorted to anything else. You will go down in history as the guy who said, "Me, Grimlock, kick butt!" Rock on with your slow yet powerful self!

Okay, I clicked on answers that said "me" instead of "I" on purpose knowing I'd get that result. :D

Bossk77
03-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I came up being Prime too... My wife however thinks i am SMOKESCREEN:lipsrseal

Adam
03-26-2006, 03:04 AM
I've previously said that I think Hardtop sucks bad, crappy alt mode, uber-lame gimmick, kibbley bot mode, and awful colors, so Swindle had the chips stacked against him.

I was hoping his colors would work better, but Swindle's bright yellow is an eyesore, there's no 2 ways about it. And the dark maroon goes SO poorly with it. The only colors that work even a little are the brown and the dark gray.

Swindle's alt mode still sucks, uninspired shape, awful cockpit, horrid empty sad lower rear-end. The key gimmick still sucks too - long gun into slightly longer gun.

Robot mode is still flawed on the same merits as the original. Also, one of the reasons I got this figure is because I saw that the blank chest plate finally had some detail, a faction logo, but the clowns at Hasbro put it way up at the top instead of at the middle, so it looks very last-minute. The yellow head elements are gloppy paint. The body in yellow loses too much of its badly-needed detail. Yellow, maroon, brown is a bad robot color combination.

I must have missed your original review. I also dissagree with your review, except for the key gimmick. It does suck.

Tycho
03-28-2006, 11:37 AM
This is the first "real picture" of Optimus Prime from the live-action movie for next year. I can't say if it is real or not. I can comment that while I appreciate the "darker look," I miss "the red."

Prime also looks, while invulnerable to humans, like an easy target for Megatron. The fuel tanks on the outside of his legs (even though traditional Prime) always bothered me as a vulnerability to him.

Meanwhile, if this is a real shot, it would appear the T's are built out of real earth vehicles after "The Ark" crashes, or however they're going to do it. I had thought that T's were made from Cybertronian metals and that was why they were less vulnerable to both T-arms as wall as of course more conventional earth rounds.

Prime's sculpt does look great however. He still looks like my Autobot hero.

JediTricks
03-28-2006, 04:23 PM
What's the source on this? Totally new to me, I wonder if it's fake, I haven't seen it posted anywhere else, and there's no joint system around the shoulders or elbows, I think they'd add that.

That colorscheme suggests it's Ultra Magnus, not Optimus Prime.

I don't think the fueltanks on his legs are really meant to be fueltanks, just supposed to LOOK like fueltanks.

Maybe it's the angle of the image, but he looks kinda tubby, like Energon's Optimus Prime.

EDIT: TFW2005 confirms it's a fanmade image, made by blasphemy3_d from the CG Society Forums (http://www.cgsociety.org/), it's fakity fake fake.

El Chuxter
03-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Holy crap, that is beautiful!! Maybe it's not 100% done, so the red will be added later. Prime in any color other than red is kind of odd, but that design still rocks.

Where'd you find this, T-Dog?

Edit: Never mind. JT beat me to the punch with the info this is fake. Hopefully the real deal is just as nice, though.

JediTricks
03-28-2006, 05:11 PM
There's a video this guy created to go with it, looks pretty slick, TFW2005 is hosting the video: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-1143510931.html

Tycho
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the vid-link JT. I'll have to watch it later.

I found my picture in the Transformers group at MySpace. I don't recollect the original poster's source. But thank you for the info on it, JT.

Adam
03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Did we ever discuss the the new Astrotrain toy for the Transformer Classics line this fall? I can't remember, and am too lazy to look back. :lipsrseal If we did and all of this is redundent, please ignore.

Also ignore the tformers.com watermark, the pictures are actually from the Japanese patent website which I will get to in a sec.

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=5711&dispsize=800&start=0

Anyway, like I said, these come from the Japanese Patent site, which should be an amazing resource. Not only do they have protos of new unreleased figures but they have them as far back as RiD and Beast Wars. We should see some new pictures from this site before long. For info on how to utilize this go here:http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3423

Chaddymac
03-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Did we ever discuss the the new Astrotrain toy for the Transformer Classics line this fall? I can't remember, and am too lazy to look back. :lipsrseal If we did and all of this is redundent, please ignore.

Also ignore the tformers.com watermark, the pictures are actually from the Japanese patent website which I will get to in a sec.

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=5711&dispsize=800&start=0

Anyway, like I said, these come from the Japanese Patent site, which should be an amazing resource. Not only do they have protos of new unreleased figures but they have them as far back as RiD and Beast Wars. We should see some new pictures from this site before long. For info on how to utilize this go here:http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3423
Yeah, that Astrotrain is awesome-ish. I mean, neither mode REALLY looks like either mode...not even as well as the original. But the fact that it's not a panel-former is interesting. I'm looking forward to the rest of the line. With this, the movie toys, and the Titaniums, the future of TF's is bright.

JediTricks
05-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Alternators Prowl gets his redeco in the US as Camshaft... sorta:
http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5973&mode=flat
The colors are only vaguely similar to G1 Camshaft (another Omnibot). And notice that the license plate refers to it as Bluestreak, which makes no sense at all since they already released Silverstreak in this line. The spoiler is a good addition, almost makes this thing seem halfways sporty, but it's a lame duck none the less.

darthvyn
05-21-2006, 05:20 PM
wow. alternators are tanking hard... hopefully i can stop collecting them after mirage and prime come out. i've already passed over ricochet and whatever that red jeep's name was... other than that i have them all so far, but i'll be skipping camstreak. what a pice of carp.

Tycho
05-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Groan.

Alternators have produced some of the only 7 Transformers I would buy (plus add in 20th Anniversary Prime). But the ones I would NOT buy are outnumbering those I would.

Mirage and Rumble are the only ones I plan to get now.

I'd be interested in a US version of Broadblast (the Scion), and a repaint of Prime's pickup as Kup or Ironhide.

but....

BOUGHT..........................................NE VER GOING TO BUY

Sideswipe.......................................Si lverstreak
SmokeScreen..................................Dead End
Hound............................................S windle
Tracks...........................................R avage
Meister..........................................S hockblast
Wheeljack.......................................Gr imlock
Sunstreaker....................................Win dcharger
.................................................. ..Swerve
.................................................. ..Decepticharge
.................................................. ..Skids
.................................................. ..Richochet
.................................................. ..Rollbar
.................................................. ..Optimus Prime (as pickup)

I'm sure I forgot someone on my "never buy list" but the never-buys almost outnumber the buys by twice the amount of them!

Rumble will be my first Decepticon unless the Masterpiece Starscream is coming out sooner and is really good. Anyone hear anthing more about that?

JediTricks
05-22-2006, 02:19 PM
wow. alternators are tanking hard... hopefully i can stop collecting them after mirage and prime come out. i've already passed over ricochet and whatever that red jeep's name was... other than that i have them all so far, but i'll be skipping camstreak. what a pice of carp.Yeah, Hasbro's really choked the life out of this line. Prime is out now, I saw him at Target on Friday, passenger door was melted so I didn't even consider buying it. The plastic looked really thin and I hate the bot mode from the pictures I've seen, so I doubt I would have bought him anyway. All the Alt line holds for me now is Mirage and Rumble.

Dominic Guglieme
05-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Ah, here we are.

JT, in reference to the other board (I cannot post a link yet):

Look at Trypticon. That is the ultimate "fall over and splay" transform. Having played with the old Fort Max, I can tell ya, the toy is blah.

Soundwave: We agree substantively, but disagree on terms. Ug, that plane mode bugs me more and more. Is it too late to change my grade?

And, you are right, shipping on Metroplex is prohibitive.

JediTricks
05-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey there Dom, glad you found us. :cool:

Look at Trypticon. That is the ultimate "fall over and splay" transform. Having played with the old Fort Max, I can tell ya, the toy is blah.http://www.tfu.info/1986/Decepticon/Trypticon/trypticon.htm
Never even seen this one before. I'm surprised that it doesn't have an actual robot mode, reminds me of the GoBots line base in that fashion. The base mode looks way more transforming going on than Cybertron Menasor though, from the pic there it doesn't look like a bot crawling on its belly the way Menasor does.

I have the same feeling about Soundwave's alt mode, I gave it a 2.5/5 originally and I'd probably stick with it, but I might go as low as a 2/5 instead. You can certainly change your rating if you wish.

Seems like the CY line started strong, got better for a while, but has been petering out lately - it's still better than Armada or Energon, yet to me it feels like Cybertron is over.

darthvyn
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, Hasbro's really choked the life out of this line. Prime is out now, I saw him at Target on Friday, passenger door was melted so I didn't even consider buying it. The plastic looked really thin and I hate the bot mode from the pictures I've seen, so I doubt I would have bought him anyway. All the Alt line holds for me now is Mirage and Rumble.

i forgot about rumble... i'll hit that, too. and if they make a scion tC, i'm all over that like a sauce. i'm probably going to end up getting prime, too, cuz it's prime...

JediTricks
05-23-2006, 01:31 PM
A Scion tC would be cool, they're not going to do one unfortunately because Toyota doesn't market it in Japan. That's so lame!

Check it out, Masterpiece Starscream prototype photos: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5983&mode=flat

Tycho
05-23-2006, 01:32 PM
I saw the next line of Star Wars Transformers today:

Palpatine as the shuttle looked good
Clone Pilot as the ARC 170 was awesome actually.
Jango Fett as the repainted Slave-One was as you'd expect a repaint to be.

I've never bought any, but I do remotely like a few of these:

Luke / X-wing
Vader / TIE
Maul / Infiltrator
Clone / ARC 170
Palpatine / Imperial Shuttle

I'm still not going to buy them though.

JediTricks
05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Where did you find them T?

I'm surprised you're not raving about Masterpiece Starscream there.

Tycho
05-24-2006, 02:32 AM
I haven't seen Masterpiece Starscream! Is that out? When is it coming? To what stores?

I saw the Star Wars Transformers at Target today (Palpatine, Clone Pilot, Jango).

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 02:43 AM
So far, no news of the US release, but it'll happen probably just like Masterpiece Prime did.

I linked to MP Screamer 2 posts before, here's the link again: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5983&mode=flat

Tycho
05-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Starscream looks pretty darn good. I think he's as big as MP Optimus Prime to say the least (sort of Alternator Scale). That's what I want. I wished we's see the painted pictures.

Then if this mold is good, I actually would be Skywarp and Thundercracker repaints (with new head sculpts of course).

darthvyn
05-24-2006, 12:17 PM
A Scion tC would be cool, they're not going to do one unfortunately because Toyota doesn't market it in Japan. That's so lame!

is hot-rod/rodimus prime as popular in japan as optimus? if they made a tC into hot-rod, and if he's a draw, it might happen... it "worked" with the pickup...

Check it out, Masterpiece Starscream prototype photos: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5983&mode=flat

yeah, that looks sweet... can't wait to drop my money...

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Starscream looks pretty darn good. I think he's as big as MP Optimus Prime to say the least (sort of Alternator Scale). That's what I want. I wished we's see the painted pictures.Ha, funny you mention his size, Tformers posted the translations of the article and here are the numbers...

In Japan, he'll cost 10290 yen, that'd be $91 here.

The jet mode is 320mm, that's 12.5" long.

The bot mode though is 220mm, that's only 8.7" tall.

is hot-rod/rodimus prime as popular in japan as optimus? if they made a tC into hot-rod, and if he's a draw, it might happen... it "worked" with the pickup...It didn't work with the pickup actually, Takara didn't end up releasing it after all that fuss, stupid jerks forced us to have Prime instead of Ironhide or another truck-bot and for nothing. I don't know if Hot Rod is popular there, I've never heard he is.

EDIT - That was quick, Alternators Nemesis Prime boxed pictures already: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5990&mode=flat

Tycho
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Ha, funny you mention his size, Tformers posted the translations of the article and here are the numbers...

In Japan, he'll cost 10290 yen, that'd be $91 here.

The jet mode is 320mm, that's 12.5" long.

The bot mode though is 220mm, that's only 8.7" tall.

Starscream needs some Viagra! How tall are regular Alternators? - It sounds like Starscream will only be about an inch to an inch and a half taller than them? MP Optimus is at least a 12" figure!

If the jet is 12.5" long, where does his height disappear to? He should be getting even larger (taller) when he turns into a robot. Maybe whoever measured him transformed him wrong?

And I still want to see full-color pics of Starscream. My Decepticons are non-existant now, and Rumble and Starscream will hardly be an army when their release-day comes.

Meanwhile:

It didn't work with the pickup actually, Takara didn't end up releasing it after all that fuss, stupid jerks forced us to have Prime instead of Ironhide or another truck-bot and for nothing. I don't know if Hot Rod is popular there, I've never heard he is.

I don't know what all this is about - such as who Takara is - a Japanese toy company that makes these things for Hasbro for their US release I guess.

Ironhide or Kup would have done so much better. Rodimus Prime (for as much as well all loathe his character) would have also been cool for a pickup - Hot Rod should always be a sports car of some sorts (Lamborghini Spyder?) But I thought Hasbro doesn't even have the name Hot Rod, like they lost Jazz and Blue Streak (resulting in Meister and Silverstreak, and previously, Hot Shot).

That sucks. Some of us are buying these because Alternators give us the "G-1's" that we always dreamed of. For the exact same reason, we are not buying Optimus as a pickup truck. That and melted doors or whatever JT has reported. Grrrrrr.

EDIT - That was quick, Alternators Nemesis Prime boxed pictures already: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=5990&mode=flat

Nemesis? I thought that was a Star Trek movie? Nemesis Prime? I THINK that's a lame name. Megatron, Soundwave, and Starscream are the main baddies in Transformer-Lore, followed by Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge. Let's stay away from the Lame-Bots and fire whoever thought of Richochet, Rollbar (though I think he was once a mini-bot), etc.

I'll still take Skids repainted as Broadblast (Blaster) - that came out nicely for BinalTech (didn't buy Skids here and still have plenty of opportunities, just don't typically dig Scions -and definitely not in THAT color!)

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
How tall are regular Alternators? - It sounds like Starscream will only be about an inch to an inch and a half taller than them? MP Optimus is at least a 12" figure!Alternators are around 7" tall, Prime is 11.75" tall.

If the jet is 12.5" long, where does his height disappear to? He should be getting even larger (taller) when he turns into a robot. Maybe whoever measured him transformed him wrong?I dunno about "taller", after all the jet's nose folds away and the wings fold up, I don't know if the legs telescope down at all. It does seem like losing 4" is a lot though.

And I still want to see full-color pics of Starscream.This is a full-color pic of Screamer right now, Takara's prototypes are clay-gray.

I don't know what all this is about - such as who Takara is - a Japanese toy company that makes these things for Hasbro for their US release I guess.Takara is who created the toys known as Transformers, Hasbro merely partnered up with them, rebadged Takara's various transforming robot lines under the new brand name "Transformers" which they released here in the US. Soundwave, Bumblebee, and Megatron are from an entirely different Takara line than Optimus Prime, Wheeljack, and Starscream. Takara is Hasbro's partner in the Transformers line, you'll see Takara's copyright on Transformers just as you do Hasbro's, Takara does a lot of the design work on modern Transformers so they can release them in Japan. Takara's design work and Japanese releases on Alternators shares the high cost of the expensive new molds required for these things, Hasbro is partly at Takara's mercy in Alternators-related issues, for example if Takara won't market a Scion tC robot because the Japanese don't recognize the car, then Hasbro cannot afford to create a mold for it because they'll have to pay for the whole mold.

"Nemesis Prime" is a name Hasbro's been using lately for when they repaint Optimus Prime figures as "evil", before it was "Scourge" but then they started using the name for an unrelated character. Nemesis Prime is always black, teal, and tan.

Da18thcustomizer
05-25-2006, 12:01 AM
I dont particularly care for TF's but goodness...

That MP SS looks NICE. Id prefer it all grey like that though as opposed to painted.

Adam
05-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Actually JT Prime is getting a BT release. Originally he was to be released as Ginrai, (AKA Powermaster Prime in the US). That was cancelled and he's now coming out as part of the radio drama that is going on in Japan right now. He comes with a mini anime figure (like the BT-A's) and a surf-board weapon. No I'm not making that last part up.

How could you possibly say that Cybertron feels done? Primus is still coming. And personally I am really aniticipating Quickmix too. I refuse to judge him on those poorly Transformed shots we've seen.

I picked up Metroplex this weekend and he used his giant axe to knock Red-Alert down from his spot as "best-friend." He comes packaged in his "worker-mode" DONT LET IT FOOL YOU! His fully extended combat mode is very articulated and looks awesome. He's as tall as a supreme figure. He's pretty stable, I have him posed with one foot kicking in the air similar to the picture in this here gallery: http://members9.tsukaeru.net/ty1_toys/toys/MegaloConvoy.htm ( Metroplex's colors differ slightly from Megalo Convoy's. ) Seriously, don't miss this one if you a fan of the Cybertron line. I can make no excuses for the alt mode, except for the fact that it is actually is based on something. http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/Trencher.htm

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Check it, loose Cybertron Demolishor & Dlx Prime (from the Armada line), loose Titanium Megatron, and loose Mirage: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=5992&dispsize=800&start=0

And FanToFan has a scan of MP Starscream from a different magazine, more angles: http://fantofan.jp/news/mag/figureking/fk100-3.jpg

Actually JT Prime is getting a BT release. Originally he was to be released as Ginrai, (AKA Powermaster Prime in the US). That was cancelled and he's now coming out as part of the radio drama that is going on in Japan right now. He comes with a mini anime figure (like the BT-A's) and a surf-board weapon. No I'm not making that last part up.
Oh, from the KISS line, right, I saw a picture, wasn't sure if it was confirmed or fanwishery though.

How could you possibly say that Cybertron feels done? Primus is still coming. And personally I am really aniticipating Quickmix too. I refuse to judge him on those poorly Transformed shots we've seen.
Cybertron feels done to me because Primus is not as big a deal to me really, doesn't feel like the impact Unicron did with Armada. As for other figures, except for the new-mold minicons and Deluxe Unicron, I don't know of anything else I want (not that I have a unicron fanship going, just coincidence), I just saw Nemesis Breaker a couple days ago and it didn't get my $20, the Armada repaints are a no-go, plus I don't care for the looks of any of the Gigantions - Metroplex looks "meh", Menasor looks downright awful, and Quickmix doesn't look so appealing either. Unless there's stuff I don't know of or forgot, the line feels like it's wrapped up.

Quickmix has a Hasbro photo: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=5894&pic=1.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0
Looks simplistic and unappealling to me, and I hate the colors with all their subtlety of a brick to the face, I don't even like his minicon and I like nearly all the minicons. I'll grant you that Hasbro seems to have the shoulders upside-down, but nothing else looks incorrectly transformed.

As for Metroplex, I completely doubt I'd like the figure, his alt mode is halfassed at best (not as bad as Menasor, but what could be?!? I can't even think of a minicon whose alt mode is lamer), I know it's based on a real thing but only in the most general fashion as his bucket wheel and digger can barely get away from the central part which looks only like a robot bowing down to me. Plus he has hollow pieces on his legs, his arms are WAY too short for the full height mode, and I don't like his colors. If he were a deluxe, I'd consider buying him, if he were a $20 I'd struggle with the thought, at $50 though there's no chance in hell.

Adam
05-25-2006, 07:55 PM
You are crazy.

Do you display your Cybetron stuff in vehicle mode? If not, then why does the alt mode even matter?

The arms on Metroplex do not look short at all, and are what I would refer to as proportional to his combat mode. And really the hollow arms and legs comment seems silly to me as they are not very noticible unless you are really close to the thing.

How dare you say my new best friend looks "meh"! That is a lie and you are a liar for saying that. :razz:

I was going to post the link to the really good shots of classics Prime, Hot Rod, Starscream and Astrotrain.. but now I'm not gonna.
(They're not hard to find anyways) :p

Dominic Guglieme
05-25-2006, 08:17 PM
The good news: I got Metroplex.
The bad news: My change box (used for discretionary
purchases) is
pretty much empty.

Hookay, a big toy means a big review.

Oddities and musings:
-The toy is packed in a sort of "not quite" mode. The
feet are not set
to either of the 'bot mode options. I actually muddled
my way to
"battle mode" first.
-The instructions and poster were not sealed into a
baggie. This is
odd. They just floated freely in the box. Normally,
I would suspect
tampering. But, as the key and Minicon (the most
theft-tempting items)
were intact, I assume the lack of a baggie is a
factory error.
-Normally, I do not count twist ties. In this case, I
started, and
then gave up. Of course, as many Star Wars collectors
can tell you,
better to many twist-ties to deter theft than too few.

Metroplex, robot modes, and vehicle mode:
That is not a mis-type. This toy has two bot-modes,
and the shifing
from mode to mode is actually quite complex, and
rewarding. For all of
the complaints from some nattering nabobs in the
fandom, this is not a
simple toy by any means. Unless one sets the bar for
complexity at
Alternator levels, this should satisfy the "fiddle
tooth" of most
collectors. Lotsa flippin', shiftin', and foldin' a
goin' on here.
The differences between the two forms are essentially
height and
proportion. The "standard" mode is the shorter, and
bulkier looking of the
two. The "battle" mode is much taller and thinner
looking. (As an
aside, it might have been better if Hasbro labelled
this "reach" mode, as
the toy generally has a "construction" rather than a
"combat" aesthetic.
In both forms, the feet are broad (but not absurdly
so). This makes
engineering sense (to balance the high center of
gravity, and contextual
sense as the broad feet make Metroplex more evocative
of a piece of
construction equipment that is balanced for lifting
heavy loads.
In "battle" mode, "Sparkdrink", (the ax) fits nicely
on the robot's back. While both modes display nicely,
the "battle" mode displays a bit better, and has the
virtue of displaying well at, above, or below
eye-level. And, while admiring this form, one has
many options for poses, as Metroplex has more
articulation than one might expect of a toy
prematurely damned for being simple.
The vehivle mode is a good balance of being
functionally evocative, yet alien. It does not look
like any specific bit of construction equipment, but
clearly conveys a function. The option of keeping the
robot head visible (ala Beast Machines Tankor) only
sweetens the mode.
The Minicon:
Drill bit is not a recolor, or even a retooling of the
old Leader1/Clench/Caliburn mold. It uses simiplar
parts, and engineering elements, but is in fact a new
toy. (Think Generation 1 Prowl compared to Jazz. The
engineering on the two is similar, but with clear and
substantive differences.) The "official" alternate
mode is similar to that "sort of gun" mode Leader1 et
al had. But, it is possible to just ape the old "gun
buggy" mode.
While Drillbit has standard socket compatibility. the
most meaningful interface point between Drillbit and
Metroplex is on the shovel end of Sparkdrink, and uses
a non-standard connection.
Sparkdrinker:
Why the leader of a planet devoted to constuction has an ax named "Sparkdrinker is a mystery. Granted, most of the context for the Gigalonians notes a war, this seems a bit extreme.
In any case, this is a handsome toy. It provides an aesthetically pleasing, and beautifully engineered key-slot. To my knowledge, this is the only key port that is explicitly designed to hold the key without triggering the gimmick. Similar to Armada Demolishor, the key is needed to "prime" the gimmick, and then to fire it. This more than makes up for the rather over-blown complain about the non-spinning bucket-scoop end. Much like the treads on pretty much any tracked character, this is a fixed molded piece. If non-moving treads to no bother you, this should not either. And, at least this *looks* like it moves, rather than obviously being a fixed piece of plastic.
The Minicon attaches nicely to the scoop when Metroplex is in vehicle mode. It looks like the Minicon is supposed to be "softening" up particularly difficult bits of ground during excavations.
The biggest over-all problem with Metroplex is that the figure is out of scale with the rest of the line. (The Japanese packaging shows Metroplex to dwarf most of the other characters, making them look like Minicons.) But, like the non-moving bucket-scoop, this is hardly an unprecedented problem.
Grade: A
-Not a perfect toy, but a worth-while one all the same.

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
You are crazy.
Do you display your Cybetron stuff in vehicle mode? If not, then why does the alt mode even matter?Yeah, sometimes I do display them in alt mode, and why? Because the name of the line is TRANSFORMERS, not ROBOTS. :p

The arms on Metroplex do not look short at all, and are what I would refer to as proportional to his combat mode.Maybe it's the overly-long legs then: http://tformers.net/i/r/Metroplex/MetroplexRFPC.jpg

And really the hollow arms and legs comment seems silly to me as they are not very noticible unless you are really close to the thing.It was the first thing I noticed about this figure in photos, it bothers me. Empty Robot Syndrome is what cheap garbage at Big Lots suffers from, not Transformers.

I was going to post the link to the really good shots of classics Prime, Hot Rod, Starscream and Astrotrain.. but now I'm not gonna.
(They're not hard to find anyways) :pBOOOOOO!!!!! :mad: (http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/buddykiller/) And by the way, they are incredibly hard to find right now, I've never seen the TF forums be more *****y about this before, I'm guessing Hasbro sent out letters of warning BEFORE the fragging pics went up.

-The instructions and poster were not sealed into a
baggie. This is
odd. They just floated freely in the box. Normally,
I would suspect
tampering. But, as the key and Minicon (the most
theft-tempting items)
were intact, I assume the lack of a baggie is a
factory error.Actually, it's not a random error, DvD had the same thing. Sometimes they just do that, some figures don't come with bagged instructions.

Nice review Dom, won't change my mind about this thing though. ;)

UPDATE: ****in' finally found them pictures of the TF Classics! I sure was mad until I found them, took me a whole hour from when I started this post too. I think they look great, all the comments that Hot Rod is the best are right. I just wish they'd hurry up and get here!

Adam
05-26-2006, 03:56 AM
Sorry, it took me less than 5 mins to find them so I didn't think it would take you that long. :D

If I made you mad, that really wasn't my intent, apologies.

Dominic Guglieme
05-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Correction: The ax blade can in fact spin manually, but not automatically. My mistake.

Adam
05-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Transformers.com has posted pics of most of the images we saw yesterday, except the secret one. But its ok because they showed us some super clear Megatron pics!

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=news&newsid=70BEDAAE-D56F-E112-412B14A6033C14A1

Also, the Prime repaint is going to be called "Galaxy Force Optimus Prime." I LoL'ed. I am going to pick this one up though, I do like what they did with it, and Prime is worth owning two of.

http://www.tfw2005.com/news/data/upimages/gfprime2.jpg

Tycho
05-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Not that Starscream shouldn't always look that good, but his $9.99 jet or whatever it will cost looks a lot like the $90 Masterpiece or whatever that's coming out eventually.

Rodimus a.k.a. really Hot Rod looks really good. I wished this was an Alternator somehow. A Lamborghini Spyder would work I think.

LOL - will Megatron shoot Nerf darts?

Adam
05-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Bumble Bee : http://adctalk.com/index.php?showtopic=2015275

JediTricks
05-28-2006, 03:07 AM
If I made you mad, that really wasn't my intent, apologies.I wasn't mad at you, I was mad at the situation. Plus, I said I was mad so astute readers of the post would remember my "Mad" smilie and click the link to the pics. :p

Lamborghini won't let them do TFs apparently, just like the Germans. :(

Thanks for the link to Bumblebee, Adam! :cool: He looks good in a Mini Cooper/Toyota Yariss/1970s Honda Cvcc sort of way, but the silhouette photo's arm kibble fooled me into think he was Megatron. Will the jet ski be a minicon or what? Looks like it won't transform at all.

The return of Rubsigns is cool, I hope they work better this time though. :p

Astrotrain looks ok, but a bit plain in bot mode and the junk around the rear end in vehicle mode is too blatantly a bullet train halved.

Megatron looks unbelievably plasticky in both modes, gun mode is such a Nerf gun it's almost embarassing (except no opening to actually fire nerf darts, probably for the best that way). I would like to see the gun have a 3rd mode, a cheap tank or bot-scale field artillery situation. Megs' bot mode can be made or broken with paint, right now it is leaning towards "broken" in my book.

Optimus looks great, that thing on top of vehicle mode seems to serve no purpose from what I can tell, doesn't even seem to be part of bot mode. The headsculpt and proportions look great, but the kibble on the forearms may be too much, I hope not. They better release a trailer for him down the line.

Hot Rod is unquestionably the star, that alt mode looks tremendous with such a great length and curve, very classy and 1970s euro-supercar. Bot mode looks decent if perhaps a bit mature.

Starscream looks very nice in alt mode and cool in bot mode, he's stockier in a classic way as a robot. His guns better be removable so they can go on his forearms.

darthvyn
05-28-2006, 08:25 AM
yeah, hotrodimus looks the best, close second is either starscream or optimus... the others are meh, with megatron (totally unfortunately) bringing up the rear so bad that hot-rod is about to lap him. bumblebee looks awesome. totally on board for this series, without being a completist.

it looks like the aero-scoop on top of optimus possible turns into his gun or something? it definitely has break lines, as in definitely transforms. maybe it turns into his back, like the jetpack they sometime show him with or something.

Adam
05-28-2006, 12:21 PM
According to some line art I saw a week or so ago, it plugs into his back.

JediTricks
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
My guess is it's a shield as well, probably fits onto his forearms.

Energon's Divebomb seems to be getting a repaint, but it's not a good colorscheme IMO:
http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=6018&mode=flat

Adam
05-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I can't decide if these rubsigns are a good thing or not. The only figure that has a non-rub faction symbol is Megs right now. The others look kinda funny without them now that I think about it.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 02:05 AM
The one on Megs' chest looks particularly garish to me though. And nothing says "robot in disguise" like a bigass faction symbol plastered across its side. :p

Adam
05-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah, but I don't care about the disguise factor. They are toys, I know they are not just cars.

JediTricks
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
They're still "robots in disguise", it's the central theme of the line.

Check it, TF Titanium Series techspecs (of sorts):
http://www.hasbro.com/titaniumseries/default.cfm?page=techspecs&phase=transformers

They blatantly misnamed the 2nd megatron on the page, it says G1 Megs but it's obviously Cybertron Megs.

Adam
05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
They're still "robots in disguise", it's the central theme of the line.

I'm quite aware of that. I only hope these come with sticker sheets like in G1 for those of us who don't care so much about that aspect.

Dominic Guglieme
05-31-2006, 04:37 PM
I am not a fan of stickers, as they tend to break down too easily.

JT has a point on the Titanium Megatron. But, the Ark entry more than makes up for it.

And, "disguises" went out the window in the late 80s. Shifting and folding (like a puzzle) became the new theme.

JediTricks
05-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Stickers?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Every time Hasbro includes a stickersheet instead of a paint job, an angel gets his wings... cut off.

Late '80s my ***, they went out the window at the end of '85. :p Nothing says "robot in disguise" like a neon whatchmacallit with a robot hanging underneath. ;)

Adam
06-01-2006, 12:36 AM
whoa (http://www.tfw2005.com/news/data/upimages/abrams_deco.jpg)

darthvyn
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
whoa (http://www.tfw2005.com/news/data/upimages/abrams_deco.jpg)

so... what... is that from the movie? that looks pretty sweet, if it's real. the drawing looks kinda cheap-o, though. like it's fan-made.

JediTricks
06-01-2006, 02:49 PM
This is almost certainly a Hasbro color code sheet, they send it to the factory to determine which colors go where on the toy. I don't believe this is the movie version, it's too soon and the design is a little un-movie-like. My guess is it's an Alternators figure, and a good-looking one at that. I ain't so thrilled about the desert color for Megs' base coloring, but I'll take it over no Megs tank alternator.

Oh, here's a photo of Classics' Astrotrain in train mode: http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=6036&mode=flat

It looks as bad as I feared, maybe worse - there's no bottom to the middle!

Dominic Guglieme
06-01-2006, 08:05 PM
That Megatron......hoooo yeah!

As for Astrotrain, it might be mistransformed in the picture. But, that is the actual, correctly transformed toy....then JT and I finally agree on a toy.:sleeping:

figrin bran
06-01-2006, 10:24 PM
i don't buy too many TF's but i definitely want Rodimus, Starscream, Prime, Bumblebee and even Astrotrain. i draw the line at nerf foam dart megs though.

or put it this way, the astrotrain that JT passes up in the local stores will be mine :)

Adam
06-02-2006, 02:47 AM
So.. Kiss Convoy will not be made of die cast. Sucks for those who wanted it to be.

Almost didn't post this cause its so blurry, but what the hey.

http://www.tfw2005.com/news/data/upimages/grimlock5kk.jpg

JediTricks
06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Target's exclusive 2packs, both TFU and CY, are now $4.24 at my store, that means it's the lowest it'll go. I picked up the last Overbite & Repugnus set. Repugnus isn't that good, and they assembled his mouth wrong. Overbite is worth the $4.24 though, a little weird but pretty nifty none the less.

Classics' Rodimus test shot on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6063173376

I like the side alt view, but that spoiler looks stupid big. The back shot of bot mode says "I'm Cybertron's Hot Shot" a little much, but I'm still on board. :D

Titanium Series Optimus 6" in packaging:
http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=6048&mode=flat

Damn that looks badass, real clean for a packaging too. I love the "collect them all" and it's 1 guy. :D

Classics' Megatron alt mode UNPAINTED test shot:
http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=6047&mode=flat

I know it's not painted and won't be all that clear green, but it still looks so darn plasticky.

As for Astrotrain, it might be mistransformed in the picture.It's a Hasbro photo... so yeah, it could be. ;) I don't think it is though, I think they got it right unfortunately.

But, that is the actual, correctly transformed toy....then JT and I finally agree on a toy.:sleeping:Woo!

I saw that Classics Grimlock colorsheet earlier, bot mode looks a little thin for the character, but all in all it looks quite promising.

Kiss Convoy goodbye! ;)

Tycho
06-03-2006, 12:04 AM
The Megatron toy, especially if an Alternator (the first Abrams one versus a known car company) is completely Mega-nificent! Gosh I'd want one, plus the MP Starscream, Alt. Rumble - it's time I built up some Decepticons (having 8 Autobots and plans to buy Mirage, and a possible repaint of Skids or Prime if they are popular Autobot characters (like Blaster, Ironhide, etc). Again, I'd buy Starscream MP repaints for Skywarp and Thundercracker as that is tradition (Rollbar, Richochet, Skids, Swerve, etc. are not!)

El Chuxter
06-03-2006, 12:14 AM
I will definitely be getting WW Prime, since it'll be nice to be able to afford a figure of that design!

Classics Grimlock looks sweet! I'm happy to see the classic coloration combined with the more modern recreation of the Tyrannosaurus. I hope the rocket launcher is removable, though.

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 02:08 AM
The one thing about this being Alt Megs is that if it is the case, his vehicle mode will be under-scale for sure. That won't keep me from buying him, but it'll definitely keep me from displaying him in alt mode next to the other Alternators' alt modes.

Tycho
06-04-2006, 03:05 AM
You think he'll be underscale? Should I wait for a MP Megatron like Starscream and Prime were done up as?

JediTricks
06-04-2006, 04:40 PM
No, do not wait, I have been seeing a lot of buzz that TakaraTomy is having problems in Japan selling the Transformers line and may pull out, look at Alternators Convoy disappearing and Kiss Convoy having no die cast metal, if TakaraTomy doesn't/can't continue marketing Alternators and Masterpiece sets, Hasbro won't continue to offer them because of the expensive mold costs.

Tycho
06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I have no idea who / what Convoy or a KISS (the rock band?) Convoy is.

I do propose an SSG Covert Ops mission however: we send JediPartnr back to Japan to buy Transformers to keep Tomy/Takara in business and we use MySpace to make new Japanese friends and secretly subvert them into buying Transformers. Then we'll be alright and Ironhide, Kup, HotRod, Springer, Blur, Ultra Magnus, Cyclonus, Scourge, some form of Soundwave, etc. will all be possible - and maybe Mirage will eventually ship!

They can also very cheaply repaint the MP Starscream as Thundercracker and Skywarp (repaints I'd actually buy).

JediTricks
06-04-2006, 05:34 PM
you, my friend, aren't paying attention, as we've already explained this here. Convoy is the Japanese name for Optimus Prime, Binaltech (the Japanese brand of Alternators) Convoy was supposed to be the Japanese release of Alternators Optimus, except it didn't happen. Kiss Convoy (actually Kiss Play brand Convoy specifically, I don't know why it's called that) is the Japanese release of Optimus which comes with a little statue of a girl from Transformers, plus a surf board accessory that turns into a weapon/comb/thing.

Ironhide may be a good example of why Alternators' future is in question, the current Alt Optimus Prime figure was supposed to be Ironhide (I believe) but because there aren't pickup trucks in Japan, Takara didn't want to release a truck Alternator unless it was a majorly-recognizable character for their market, so they turned Ironhide into Optimus/Convoy... then Takara didn't even release the damn thing.

Tycho
06-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, see what happens when I pay attention? I get depressing news!

That pickup would have been perfect for Ironhide or Kup, too!

I hope the Binaltech Broadblast (Skids repaint) gets a US release in that color (I keep turning down Skids) and the US version is "Blaster."

darthvyn
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I hope the Binaltech Broadblast (Skids repaint) gets a US release in that color (I keep turning down Skids) and the US version is "Blaster."

skids is really cool... don't pass him up for another version that may/not happen...

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Which would be more depressing though Tycho, knowing in advance or having it sprung on you by the time it's too late?

I doubt we'll get Broadblast here anytime soon, they'll probably remold the head and give it a totally different paintjob that fits with a Decepticon theme.

Adam
06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I think that mold would fit Ironhide well. I doubt the Dodge Ram will ever be Ironhide, Hasbro tends to not release repaints that are too similar to earlier versions.

Tycho
06-06-2006, 01:20 AM
I think that mold would fit Ironhide well. I doubt the Dodge Ram will ever be Ironhide, Hasbro tends to not release repaints that are too similar to earlier versions.

That sucks. Although wouldn't a metallic rust color (Ironhide) be different enough from basic cherry red (Prime)?

JT: depressing news is depressing news no matter when it's sprung on me - look at when Enterprise was taken off the air after all that struggle to keep it on.

I hope Skids doesn't get a Decepticon rehash. Broadblast / Blaster is still my best hope. However, an all-black Soundwave done out of the Scion mold might work. Might.

darthvyn
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I hope Skids doesn't get a Decepticon rehash. Broadblast / Blaster is still my best hope. However, an all-black Soundwave done out of the Scion mold might work. Might.

nah, the messed up if they were gonna make it into soundwave... the back hatch should've been the chest if they were gonna do that...

Adam
06-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Picture time! Some Classics in package as well as some Alternator and Cybertron releases.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=100598&p=683424

and

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=100598&page=3

Chaddymac
06-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Picture time! Some Classics in package as well as some Alternator and Cybertron releases.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=100598&p=683424

and

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=100598&page=3
that's hot.

Dominic Guglieme
06-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks Adam. That Bumblebee looks great.

Oh, here is my latest TF:

Transformers Cybertron Mudflap
This one is tough to grade. On trhe one hand, it was 5 bucks on deep discount at Target. (Credit JT at sirsteves for the heads up on that one.) On the other hand, the discount was a major factor in making this purchase.
The vehicle mode is fantastic, and nicely detailed. (The stabilizing anchors, as one would see on a real crane, are a nice touch.) The wheels roll easily enough. And, a touch of retooling could yield an interesting Gigalonian.
But, that is about all this toy really has going for it. The transform is simple, and the robot form suffers for it. There are a few sizeable chunks of kibble that would be forgivable on a basic, or even a deluxe. (I have seen Minicons that manage a similar transform with a bit more grace.....) And, the key gimmicks only make the arms more clumsy, while not being terribly inspired or inspiring.
Grade: C Not great, not terrible. Get this toy on sale, or if you are really hankering for a new TF during a lull.

Adam
06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Classics Hot Rod again: http://www.tfw2005.com/official-images-of-transformers-classics-autobot-rodimus.htm

El Chuxter
06-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Somehow, he doesn't look as sweet in that pic as in Hasbro's. :(

The gun rather sucks, too.

Adam
06-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Just take the "flame" missle out. Energon Rodiumus and Cybertron Crosswise suffer from this too. Classics Hot Rod's won't look as great but it will improve without the missle.

Tycho
06-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Has anyone ordered that 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime TRAILER for their American version. JustiToys wrote me and said they only sell it wholesale, and that eBay was my best bet.

What did someone here pay for it? What kind of quality is it?

JustiToys said it was hard plastic and could carry 2 Alternators inside its trailer (probably Tracks' or SmokeScreen's width, not Sunstreaker's or Wheeljack's)

Adam
06-08-2006, 01:17 AM
I don't really know, but it may be cheaper for you to buy MP-04 ( Takara's MP Prime w/trailer.) when its released as opposed to the 3rd party trailer.

Tycho
06-08-2006, 02:02 AM
I don't really know, but it may be cheaper for you to buy MP-04 ( Takara's MP Prime w/trailer.) when its released as opposed to the 3rd party trailer.

Maybe, but (thanks to our very own El Chuxter), I already have MP Prime and he needs a trailer.

Adam
06-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Maybe, but (thanks to our very own El Chuxter), I already have MP Prime and he needs a trailer.

I know that :P. The point still stands that it will probably be cheaper to get MP-04 then the 3rd party trailer. Just keep one prime in truck mode. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey Dom, glad to see you got Mudflap for so cheap. That's pretty much how I feel about the guy too, except I paid full price and don't like the blue color either, so my grade was even harder.

Get this, I spotted LOC figures at TRU yesterday! First time I've ever seen them in person, I passed 'em up though.

I have to say, having seen these latest Hasbro pics of the TF:Classics, I don't really love the Classics line as much as I originally thought, the little "flip for robot mode" thing is stupid as hell, nobody uses the flipper on the SW Transformers and this will be stolen or broken lickety split. The figures' colors also are unbelievably shallow relying on plastics only, look at Megatron's & Starscream's faces, there's something not good about the decos on these. And some of the molds don't look as good anymore, like Rodimus and Starscream, they're good but not quite exciting to me anymore.

I do dig Bumblebee's trailer transforming into a jetpack, that's nifty.

I don't really know, but it may be cheaper for you to buy MP-04 ( Takara's MP Prime w/trailer.) when its released as opposed to the 3rd party trailer.I thought the rumors on that shifted from "trailer" to "talking base".

Adam
06-09-2006, 02:47 AM
I thought the rumors on that shifted from "trailer" to "talking base".

The talking base is for the Hasbro rerlease. Takara is releasing a trailer.

JediTricks
06-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh, is that right? I hadn't heard that. Stupid f'ing Hasbro!

Tycho
06-10-2006, 04:06 PM
OK, so anyone want to reveal how you get a trailer? (preferably without re-buying Optimus Prime if you already have a perfectly good one?)

Chaddymac
06-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Now that we've seen the TF The Movie main page, I'm thinking that megatron color sheet is from the Alternators line. The eyes give it away. Especially since we've seen the Classics Megs and Alternators is due a Megatron.

JediTricks
06-10-2006, 06:45 PM
That's the general assumption, so I hope it's correct. Over on BWTF I said I thought Megs as a tank would be 1/28th scale to fit in the packaging, one of their members pointed out that to fit the packaging it'd be 1/35th scale! :eek: That's significantly smaller, I hope they're going to offer this as a larger set, like $30, but I'm expecting small-tank Megs. ;)

And the 6" Titanium transforming Optimus and Megatron show off their transformations on the Hasbro site now:

http://www.hasbro.com/titaniumseries/default.cfm?page=action

Once the flash in the main body loads, I *strongly* suggest you click "music off" in the upper right. :D Now choose Transformers, then Forged Metal Figures, then you can click on Optimus or Megatron. The middle of the screen will display the figure and have it transform to and from over and over. Under the figure is the bio note for the figure, you can scroll it down to read the whole thing.

Optimus' transformation looks really cool, very involved compared to what I thought these were gonna be.

I'm not quite as impressed with Megatron's transformation, it looks like the legs do most of the bulk work and the smaller turret gets stuck with the all of the upper body. It's not bad, but I like a little more balance.

El Chuxter
06-10-2006, 07:26 PM
My God. A War Within Optimus Prime that I can afford, and now he transforms? This is truly, truly good news indeed.

Dominic Guglieme
06-12-2006, 08:18 PM
If that "flip disk" is rooted into the packaging as well as it is on the SWTF line, it ain't getting stolen by nobody.

I agree in in general about Classics though. Thus far, pretty underwhelming, with Starscream being the same price-point as Bumblebee. Although, Bumblebee looks good.

All the same, I think Cybertron is my last big romp through Transformers.

JediTricks
06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
The larger the flipper, the easier to remove it will be.

So apparently 6" Titanium Megatron is not War Within the way Hasbro's site bio suggests, the packaging bio is different and clearly has him in the TF-GI Joe crossover!
http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=48908
How crazy is that?

Oh, and get this madness, one of the TF sites is reporting that Alternators Nemesis Prime will be an SDCC exclusive! What kind of bullmonkeys is that?!?

matthewilw
06-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh, and get this madness, one of the TF sites is reporting that Alternators Nemesis Prime will be an SDCC exclusive! What kind of bullmonkeys is that?!?

It's too bad too, because I was really looking forward to that one. Even if they offer some on the hasbro site, the average person doesn't have a chance at snagging one. I just hope that preorder I have at action-hq for him somehow comes through...I was willing to pay the $55 price tag for a preorder, but I'm not about to pay a scalper for it. Maybe I can find someone who may be willing to get me one at SDCC. Oh well.

I swear hasbro is trying to kill this line. Target stores in my area have stopped carrying alternators all togethor(along with a few stores that no longer carry titaniums either-despite how popular they are), and all the wal-marts here are clogged with that stupid Scion.

Adam
06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
You should be able to get Nemesis Prime via the Hasbro Toy Shop/Store, if they produce enough..

JediTricks
06-14-2006, 08:25 PM
That's the key, "if they make enough", that's bullcrap. Plus it's supposedly $5 more than other Alternators, so IF I'M LUCKY I'd get to pay $5 more PLUS shipping for an unchanged-mold repaint? Wowee, thanks Hasbro! :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
06-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Hmmm. In the store, this would've been $20, and I may have bowed to the temptation. But as an exclusive, for a character I don't know, I dunno.

Adam
06-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Target computer's seem to think they are getting Classics in week 24, IE end of July/early August transition. Way earlier than we last heard..

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Titanium Series 6" Jetfire & Alternators Mirage:
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=6107&dispsize=800&start=0

Mirage looks good, I love that they got the doors and hood to open correctly, and the bot mode looks way better on the cardback, I hope that's the case in person. The chrome wheels look a bit cheap, but oh well.

Jetfire looks... well... not great. Bot mode seems cheap, and vehicle mode is a big brick with a long nose and thin wings, the transformation looks minimal and the whole thing looks small to me.

Adam
06-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Yeah, he doesn't look as nice as he did in Hasbro's Photoshop-phun pictures. I will still get him though sadly.

JediTricks
06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
At $20, I'm going to wait and see.

I'm comparing the hasbro photos to these, in bot mode, it's not very different, but the hasbro shot has great paint and this toy is missing half that paint and what it does have is cheap looking (I *really* wish Hasbro would step up production-level paint quality). In alt mode, really all Hasbro's photo has going over this is the slimming angle, and again, the paint.

BTW, while going through my TF image folder, I found the single reason I am going to get Cybertron Menasor - his minicon goes in his chest! I had totally forgotten about that, no review so far has mentioned it.

Adam
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Last I heard they were around $15 actually. BBTS preorder for them is around 16 bucks, and I don't see them charging lower than Target or Wal-Mart anytime soon. :lipsrsealed:

Anyway's, here is a REVIEW and gallery of Classics Astrotrain (pre-production sample):

http://www.tf-1.com/articles/other_frame.php?art=classicastro

I think he is keen.

JediTricks
06-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Correction to my post about Alternators Mirage, I was drifting off to sleep last night when I realized that Mirage's hood does not open correctly, the Ford GT hood opens from the middle and hinges from the back, the toy is backwards. I was so dazzled they got the door and hood SHAPES right it. :p Here's a photo of what I'm talking about: http://www.rtl.nl/components/automotor/gekopwielen/service/2005/02/wp4-ford-gt-1152-2.jpg

Last I heard they were around $15 actually. BBTS preorder for them is around 16 bucks, and I don't see them charging lower than Target or Wal-Mart anytime soon. :lipsrsealed:

Anyway's, here is a REVIEW and gallery of Classics Astrotrain (pre-production sample):

http://www.tf-1.com/articles/other_frame.php?art=classicastro

I think he is keen. Really, $15? That seems too cheap, are these things REALLY small or something?

Interesting review on Astrotrain. My first impressions were that the paint looks horrid and very much like production-level paint; also, that I loathe when they make landing gear permanent, as on the wings here. However, reading further, robot mode looks better than I expected (though I really wish Hasbro would stop using white plastic, it looks shoddy every time), its "deluxe" roots are coming out this way but can't stop the pricepoint. The robot head is a little plain for my tastes, but I've seen worse. The train mode is somehow even WORSE than I thought though, and you know I thought it suuuucked before.

Chaddymac
06-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Correction to my post about Alternators Mirage, I was drifting off to sleep last night when I realized that Mirage's hood does not open correctly, the Ford GT hood opens from the middle and hinges from the back, the toy is backwards. I was so dazzled they got the door and hood SHAPES right it. :p Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:
Technically, it's the hatchback that's opening wrong, at least in the pictures on the back of the box, since the hatchback is supposed to hinge from the rear. It doesn't say the hood opens at all...

But whatever. I'm looking forward to a new alternator anyway.

JediTricks
06-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Technically, it's the hatchback that's opening wrong, at least in the pictures on the back of the box, since the hatchback is supposed to hinge from the rear. It doesn't say the hood opens at all...

But whatever. I'm looking forward to a new alternator anyway. Chaddy, it's a rear-engine, the thing in the back *is* the hood. A "hatchback" means there's a rear hatch that accesses a rear cargo space. The, er, "trunk" on the GT is the small space in the front of the car between the airflow channels.

Chaddymac
06-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Okay, we were talking about the same thing.

JediTricks
06-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Just wanted to be sure that anybody reading understood as well.

Alt Camshaft photos: http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=49163

His licenseplate says "BLU STRK" and it's from Hasbro's home state of Rhode Island.

Tycho
06-20-2006, 06:30 PM
What's the deal?

When (and what make / model) will become of an Alternator Bumblebee and Ironhide? How about Blaster (Broadblast?) or on the Decepticon side: Soundwave?

What's the planned release time for the MP Starscream? Is it close to being Alternator Scale? Will Hasbro repaint it and switch heads to make Skywarp and Thundercracker?

You know, a Q&A with Hasbro on Transformers for ActionFigs.com would be wonderful, in the same vein as the Star Wars team has been doing for the fan sites in the galaxy far, far away.

Dominic Guglieme
06-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Tycho has a point there.

I am curious about the new Demolishor. How much of the old molding has been sacrificed for the newer one? I know SSG submits questions to Hasbro, any chance of us submitting TF questions?

On the Titaniums front: Interesting that 2 of the toys (Megatron the Ark) make direct references to the Generation 2 comic. That kind of fanwank is usually reserved for conventions, not general retail.

JediTricks
06-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I will look into Hasbro taking questions for Transformers, it'd be separate from these SW ones because the SW ones are going to the SW brand PR guy, each brand gets its own team for that stuff.

The bio on 6" Megs being wrong, I'm wondering if perhaps the other bios may also be stuff they aren't sticking with. Then again, isn't that Ark shuttle from the comics only?

Adam
06-20-2006, 11:56 PM
JT, you will be the awesomest person on the entire globe if you can arrange a Q&A dealie like the Star Wars one for TF's.

Anyway, according to TFW2005, there are TWO new 2-packs on the horizon, one looks to be a Target exclusive the other a TRU one. Target's is supposed to be G1 Prime Vs Megatron (Green Tank) according to an annonymous Hasbro source. $19.99. No idea on the Prime. TRU's is Primal and Megatron, not sure here either. Could the new mold Primal and Meg's not be getting a mass release? I sure they do.

JediTricks
06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Don't expect miracles, it's still Hasbro. ;)

I can't say I'm totally surprised that the Beast Wars Anniversary new molds might get released only through TRU, the first 2 waves of BWX aren't selling around here very well.

My guess is the Target set is either a naming mistake (it happens) and it's the Titaniums, or it's Classics Optimus vs... Armada Megs?

Dominic Guglieme
06-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Generation 2 Megatron was also a tank. By the by, what is wrong with the bio on Titanium Megatron JT?

If the BWX leaders areTrU exclusives, that will make my life needlessly difficult. (Good job Hasbro!)

Oh, here are some reviews:

Swindle:
This is a recolor of the mold used for Hardtop a few months back. While the toy is not greatly improved over the previious, it is a bit better, and it retains the virtues of the previous use of the mold. The vehicle mode fits neatly together, an the bot mode is poseable enough. The transform is better engineered and executed than many toys 2 or 3 times lager.
While the name is re-used, the profile indicates this Swindle is a new character.
Grade: B Worth picking up.

Wave 4 Minicons:
Street Team:
Over all, these are better than the originals. But, the bulk of the flaws from the old ones carry over. The real improvements are paint based, and there is an interesting bio note on the profile for Sureshock to sweeten the deal. Highwire is the weakest of the bunch, retaining the fragility of the previous uses of the mold, and benefiting the least from new paint. Grindor is about the same, while Sureshock's new paint work is fantastic. The merged form looks fantastic, and is the best of the variants (US and Japanese) I have seen thus far.
Sureshock's bio note inidcates the character is male, in contrast with the old Dreamwave sourcebook. It looks like Cybertron the toyline has retconned another point of plot.
Grade: B Not perfect, but worth considering. The problem is that the above are packed with the recolored Space Team.
Space Team:
This set is easily superior in terms of paint to the previous uses of the mold set. But, these toys are at least as fragile (if not more so) than the originals. (The combined rifle form fell apart several times while I was assembling it.) Scrapiron benefits the most from the new paint. But, Backblast does not look too shabby either.
Grade: C/D Good paint, applied to mediocre molds, and avoidable fragility. Be wary.

JediTricks
06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
A scan of MP Starscream, looks like this is a new prototype, now he has that lame hip armor going on, but the alt mode is greatly improved, especially the underside.
http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=6127&mode=flat

Generation 2 Megatron was also a tank. By the by, what is wrong with the bio on Titanium Megatron JT?The Titanium Series website refers to him as War Within Megatron, which he isn't, I believe every single word of the bio online differs from the bio on the actual packaging, which refers to the figure as Megs from the TF/GI Joe crossover.

If the BWX leaders areTrU exclusives, that will make my life needlessly difficult. (Good job Hasbro!) I doubt it, TRU exclusives for Transformers have never been that much of a problem, you have Starscream/VP if I remember correctly.

Your review of Swindle is pretty generous. :p

Dominic Guglieme
06-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I got the VP/SS pack before TrU left Boston mind you. The only way I can get to a TrU now is with a friend of mine, if we are going toy-hunting.

I forgot about the online Megatron bio. The toy resembles neither Megatron very well.

And, as for Swindle, how seriously can I take you? You do not even like Hardtop. You probably do not like ice cream either. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
06-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh, I forgot all about TRUs closing in your area! That does change things a bit. Maybe the new TRU website will fare better for you.

Of course I don't like Hardtop, he suuuuucks and Swindle suffers the same problems (except for coloring, though I don't like Swindle's colors much on their own either). And I have a half-gallon ice cream in my freezer right now that's about a 3rd of the way gone after just a week, so there. :p

EDIT: Check it out, saw this on bwtf forums, Classics Prime test shot on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-CLASSICS-OPTIMUS-PRIME-PROTOTYPE-RARE_W0QQitemZ280000449523QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4696Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's some weird stuff going on with his forearms and back, but the top-becomes-rifle is cool and the pistol-becomes-smokestacks is good too. I hope the alt mode looks good without the top thing.

Tycho
06-22-2006, 09:02 PM
It's hard to appreciate those when Alternators exist and the 20th Anniversary Prime was made and MP Starscream will one day be on his way.

darthvyn
06-23-2006, 12:42 PM
i dunno... the prime looks awesome, but that may very well be the only one i get... and with alternators taking a nose-dive (i haven't even been hunting for any in like, 4 months...) this may be the next series that we cling to...

Tycho
06-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Alternators will not take a nose dive!!!

Optimus Prime (though it should have been Ironhide) will ship in greater numbers

Mirage is coming!!!

Rumbe is going to rock!!!

Masterpiece Starscream will come out at some point and be gobbled up by Alternators' fans as the scale should be pretty close.

Hot Rod looks the most interesting of any of the Classic Redeux because they look like children's toys and Hot Rod always did look like a child's toy.

I buy Alternators because they are adults' toys :lipsrsealed:

El Chuxter
06-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I think he was referring more to the ridiculous number of repaints, most with names of characters we don't care about or have never even heard of.

JediTricks
06-23-2006, 03:17 PM
It's hard to appreciate those when Alternators exist and the 20th Anniversary Prime was made and MP Starscream will one day be on his way.Alternators are a flawed medium, they're not that fun, they're not very solid, they have a horrible release pattern, and they've gotten consistantly worse since the first release. Masterpieces like Prime and Screamer are very expensive. I like Alts, but I have to recognize their limitations and issues, I have to recognize that they're no longer as fulfilling as they should be.

Alternators will not take a nose dive!!!Throw a fit, why don't you? :p Alts already have taken a nose dive, sales are in the toilet, product worsens with nearly every release, the line goes half a year without a new mold, interest is dying.

Tycho
06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm telling you: wait for Mirage and Rumble to start things shakin' again!

They'll be so much better than that Neon-plastic crap on blister cards that substitutes as "Transformers" these days.

(Energon, Cybertron, Unicron Wars, Beast stuff, whatever - I ignored all of it since G1).

Alts RULE!

[Edit: the author of this post chose to ignore Richochet, Rollbar, and Skids. They along with Dick Cheney will not be called upon to testify.]

JediTricks
06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
After Nemesis Prime becoming an exclusive, I have some doubts as to whether we'll see Rumble get released at all, the line is in bad shape.

By the way, who are you to judge any other Transformers line, you snob? :p You don't own any of 'em, you haven't bought one single thing that we've heard about.

Dominic Guglieme
06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Of course I don't like Hardtop, he suuuuucks

You have no sense of human decency. You bring shame to our noble species. You monster!

Alternators are a flawed medium, they're not that fun, they're not very solid, they have a horrible release pattern, and they've gotten consistantly worse since the first release. Masterpieces like Prime and Screamer are very expensive. I like Alts, but I have to recognize their limitations and issues, I have to recognize that they're no longer as fulfilling as they should be.

For once, I am agreeing. For the price point, Alternators are lacking in pretty much every category. The engineering is convoluted, but hardly sophisticated.

I have a good many Minicons that equal Alternators, and some that actually exceed them in terms of engineering. (And, no, this is not modifying for price-points. Thunderblast really is that good.)

That the "mature prestige" line is mostly used for copyright holding only ads insult to injury.

Throw a fit, why don't you? :p Alts already have taken a nose dive, sales are in the toilet, product worsens with nearly every release, the line goes half a year without a new mold, interest is dying.

Alternator sales are dropping? I cannot imagine why. Seriously, I played "clearance chicken" at TrU before the local one closed. I missed Shockwave. But, that is because someone bought the last one before the price dropped under $10. Just about every Alternator I have seen is a "would be better at a lower price". Smokescreen was good enough, for an intitial offering. But, 2 inferior retooling later, I have seen nothing better in the line.

Vector Prime has interesting molding, and a unique aesthetic. Or, $20 would get me a Landmine and Redalert, both of which are better engineered than your average Alternator.

Tycho
06-23-2006, 06:55 PM
By the way, who are you to judge any other Transformers line, you snob? :p You don't own any of 'em, you haven't bought one single thing that we've heard about.

That's exactly my point :pleased:

Adam
06-23-2006, 08:47 PM
I weap for your soul. Go along and play with your Galactic Heroes figures. ;)

JediTricks
06-24-2006, 03:23 PM
You have no sense of human decency. You bring shame to our noble species. You monster! Noble? HA! And don't blame me for Hardtop having a halfassed sculpt and abysmal coloring, I saw the prototype art, there was something better there and someone choked it till it turned mediocre.

That's exactly my point :pleased:That you're judging without real evidence? Not a point I'd be pleased with myself over if I were in your shoes. :p

JediTricks
06-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Alt Mirage pics from Remy

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act411/

Nice to see the front "trunk" does open, and unlike the hood it opens accurately. I'm a little concerned that the trunk isn't fully closed in any of the vehicle mode pictures, hopefully that's just something weird with Remy's though. I was all digging the vehicle mode undercarriage till I noticed the face, I hate road-gazers - why Hasbro, why??? The overall vehicle mode looks really slick, especially with doors open, I wish the Alternators line had covered more exciting cars like this in the first place.

Bot mode doesn't look as bad as some other early photos had suggested, but there's still a bit too much shell stuff, especially in the back. The white of the arms and guns is weirding me out, Hasbro has been using that awful stark white plastic too much lately and it still sucks here. The gun splitting into 2 different guns is cool. I'm tired of the high up knees-in-the-thighs. All in all, I think I'm gonna dig this one.

Dominic Guglieme
06-26-2006, 04:35 PM
What's wrong with Hardtop's sculpt? The toy is more complex than many Voyager scale toys.

Oh, and DvD reports Wave 5 Minicons are coming. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Ben just put up a review of the new minicons, I think he got them in TRU, so they ARE out.

Hardtop's sculpt issues are heavily about the alt mode: it's overly blocky and narrow and plain where the art was fuller, more rounded and exciting; the rollbar design is oversized and too thick; the cockpit is cheap looking; there's no back end at all, just some legs up in the air and cheesy tabs hanging down with wheels on the outside; all this gives the feeling that the alt mode is just a generic brick that a robot transforms out of which they stuck car kibble onto.

The bot mode isn't free from issues either though, he suffers a lot of totally useless car kibble (which again plays into that "just a generic brick" argument); there's too many flat blank areas without sculpting, especially the chest which is transformed into this generic shape; and the deco sucks bad. And his key gimmick bites the big one. Part of what kills it for me is that they had some good ideas buried in there and just let them languish.

Dominic Guglieme
06-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Yee may have gotten those from online dealers. Brick on mortar is likely a month or two a way.

But, yes, they can be purchased. (I want them now. :yes: )

matthewilw
06-29-2006, 12:15 AM
I was lucky enough to find alternators Optimus Prime and Mirage at a local wal-mart last night. Despite my low expectations, optimus prime is still very disappointing. There's just too much empty space in both modes that makes him a very frail figure, and the plastic itself seems very weak.

Mirage, on the other hand, I can honestly say is my new favorite alternator. He is a very sturdy figure in both modes,has a decent transformation, and I never once felt like I was going to break something when first transforming him. The only thing I don't like about mirage is his weapons. I love the idea of dual guns, but the fact that they are different sizes really bothers me. I can't stand that they are different, especially when they could have easily been the same size/shape. I extremely glad I was able to get mirage so soon after his release, I was worried I would never find him. The only problem now is the lack of any good alternators to look forward to. Oh well, I'll just have to spend my time waiting on those new BSG titaniums!

Tycho
06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Wow! I'm going to have to go out hunting for Mirage now!

Great find! I definitely want that car.

The only problem now is the lack of any good alternators to look forward to.

Can you say "Rumble?"

I like two different guns myself. It means Hasbro wasn't cheap and reused the same part twice, but put in even that small amount of extra effort on Mirage. Hopefully, I'll find mine soon, too.

Adam
06-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Here's a size comparison shot of Titanium WWI Prime for you JT.

http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=49670

JediTricks
06-30-2006, 05:21 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! Remy's pic makes the Titanium Series Forged Figure look like 4.5", that's gonna be a hard pill to swallow (not for me, but for a lot of other collectors).

Adam
06-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Nah I don't think so, I know of a LOT of people who can't wait for this one.

Chaddymac
06-30-2006, 10:17 PM
I can't wait. Then there's Thundercracker and Jetfire too...whoa...

Tycho
06-30-2006, 10:27 PM
I've asked before: any info on Masterpiece Starscream?

Any Alternators planned beyond Prime, Mirage, and Rumble? What's the word about Megatron for Alternators?

Adam
06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
If we knew anything new we would have said something. :D

JediTricks
07-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Nah I don't think so, I know of a LOT of people who can't wait for this one. I hope you're right about that and about the price, $15 for a figure only a few heads taller than a SW figure is easier to cope with than $20.

By the way, I spotted all the Titanium Series 3" figures at TRU Los Feliz tonight, but no Ark Shuttle. They're REALLY small and not that well detailed, I suspect these will bomb.

Tycho, that picture Adam linked to with the 3 Primes (http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=49670), the smallest one is the THS-02 Prime I was telling you about in PM, the one with the transforming trailer.

Tycho
07-01-2006, 12:32 AM
JT, inspite of that Prime being so small, it looks like it can transform and it's t-scheme is even based off of MP Prime. That toy looks awesome! I might have to look into that line for a few main-character studs like that Prime.

JediTricks
07-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Yes, it can transform and it is based off MP Prime. So far, THS-02 is the only really good one, THS-01 is just the smaller Galaxy Force Convoy (Cybertron Prime, a great figure full sized but not worth getting a mini version of) and THS-03 is still being voted on.

Tycho
07-01-2006, 12:56 AM
What does THS stand for?

figrin bran
07-01-2006, 01:37 AM
By the way, I spotted all the Titanium Series 3" figures at TRU Los Feliz tonight, but no Ark Shuttle. They're REALLY small and not that well detailed, I suspect these will bomb.

i've been looking forward to these so if they bomb it won't be on account of me.

Tycho
07-01-2006, 09:15 AM
BTW, I had the idea to start a wave by wave "vote for your favorite Alternator" thread at actionfigs.com. (well I'm going to type it up as soon as I'm done announcing my idea here). Come vote! :)

JediTricks
07-01-2006, 01:41 PM
What does THS stand for?Transformers Hybrid Style.

First Remy put up the Megatron photos:

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act412/

I didn't love what I saw, the accuracy was dubious, the key gimmick tail looked kinda meh, the beast mode seemed a tad spindly. It was alright, but not awe-inspiring.

Then today Remy put up the Optimus Primal photos:

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act413/

What the hell happened here?!? From bad colors to ugly articulation to a giant surfboard accessory to a fat chest to the odd head, this thing has "WTF" written all over it. And if that weren't bad enough, he's SMALLER than $10 Beast Machines Primal?!? Bah!

Maybe these will be fun toys on their own, fun, overpriced toys ("oh, but they have comics and micro ships, and Primal has a big surfboard", what-f***ing-ever), but the BWX aspect seems to be lacking.

BAD HASBRO! NO! BAAAAD!

Tycho
07-01-2006, 04:17 PM
JT, that's typical of what I think when I look at most Transformers except the Alternators of course.

Adam
07-01-2006, 09:23 PM
The larger titanium are supposed to be more around six inches. I still firmly believe that they will retail $15 or cheaper. http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=700&company=0&category=1979

All of those are either 16.99 or 17.99 and BBTS always has to charge higher than Wal-Mart or Target.

figrin bran
07-01-2006, 10:51 PM
i picked up the 3" titanium primal and jazz today. i've only opened up primal so far but he has four points of articulation which i wasn't expecting. even though technically speaking, he should come with a maximal logo stand, the autobot logo stand is really nice. there isn't even a foot peg on them and so you can actually use it for decorative purposes - hang it from your car window or something like that.

the little insert that came inside the package lists the larger titanium figures as being 6"

i never owned the first BW versions of Primal and Megatron and i want the Axalon and the Predacon ship and so i'll probably buy both of those. though i do admit, the colors for primal are really bad.

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 12:43 AM
6" is a bold claim, I hope it's true but Remy's photo definitely looks more like 4.5" (the old Batman size).

I spotted an Alternators Optimus Prime at Target in Duarte, CA today, didn't want it so I stashed it for anybody in the socal area willing to go grab it.

I picked up CY Menasor, haven't opened him yet.

Tycho
07-02-2006, 01:48 AM
So is Mirage shipping with Prime? Anyone else get Mirage yet? From what store?

Adam
07-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Wow, you seriously picked him up because his minicon goes in his chest right?

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 01:56 AM
So is Mirage shipping with Prime? Anyone else get Mirage yet? From what store?Dude, I *just* told you yesterday in PM he was showing up at Walmart, remember I mentioned Dave van Domelen's sight for those sightings? BTW, all the Mirage sightings so far have been WMs in SoCal no less.

Anyway, Mirage does ship with Prime in the current case (Case 14), it's 1x Mirage, 1x Optimus Prime, 1x Tracks, and 1x Meister. If you see a Tracks & Meister in the new white packaging, it means you just missed Mirage. That Prime I saw tonight at Target however didn't have any Tracks or Meisters, so I don't think I missed Mirage there.

Wow, you seriously picked him up because his minicon goes in his chest right?Pretty much, yeah. :D Also, there's just not enough bad guys in the CY line.

Tycho
07-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Dude, I *just* told you yesterday in PM he was showing up at Walmart, remember I mentioned Dave van Domelen's sight for those sightings? BTW, all the Mirage sightings so far have been WMs in SoCal no less.

Anyway, Mirage does ship with Prime in the current case (Case 14), it's 1x Mirage, 1x Optimus Prime, 1x Tracks, and 1x Meister. If you see a Tracks & Meister in the new white packaging, it means you just missed Mirage. That Prime I saw tonight at Target however didn't have any Tracks or Meisters, so I don't think I missed Mirage there.

Thank you for the info again, JT. I forgot. It's late. And the info about Tracks and Meister shelf-warmers will prove very helpful, too.