01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
On the movie toys:

I like the leaders, and the deluxes.

The stompers.....eh, whatever..

That gun is a waste of resources.

And, I gave the Minicons to a kid. No Classics in my collection! :lipsrsealed:

Dark Marble
01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey does anyone here have the Masterpiece Starscream? I was just wondering what his size is standing next to the Masterpiece Optimus. I thought I saw a picture of him standing with a couple of the alternators and he was about that size. That's not right is it???

Tycho
01-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey does anyone here have the Masterpiece Starscream? I was just wondering what his size is standing next to the Masterpiece Optimus. I thought I saw a picture of him standing with a couple of the alternators and he was about that size. That's not right is it???

I have Starscream - but as I spend so much on toys, I've never picked up a digital camera (I used to take pics with my old girlfriend's)

That being said, I've had two eyes since birth and I've studied up on how to use them.

Turning them to Starscream - he's smaller than Prime, but larger than Alternators in height. I'd say it's all G1 cartoon size accurate between the MPEs and Alts for their robot forms.

That being said, if there were no size changes in G1 fantasy-land, Starscream should be much bigger. Look at that Cybertron line $50 toy at Toys R Us for a better size example. His jet and cockpit are way undersized next to what a "MASK" sized action figure driver placed in an Alternator would be scaled towards. (I think - it's been so long since I've seen MASK toys).

Now MPE 03 Starscream is AWESOME! However, he is very complicated and fragile. After all expenses, I got him from Japan for $97.12. I don't regret it.

He ships as a jet and I transformed him only once. I was warned in MySpace group by someone that broke a wing on his, that Starscream's light plastic (feels like an Ertyl model kit) couldn't take the stress. So the guy recommended deciding how you want to display him (jet or robot) and leaving him that way. This is the primary liability reason why I don't think Hasbro will import this toy and slap G1 colors on him (though I prefer the more realisitc gun-metal myself). I don't think a change in plastic materials is feasible, because of the small parts and thin allowance for the mold it's designed in.

I don't know if we'll ever get anything better (Starscream's movie design sucks) and this would have to be twice as big to really be better.

In the movie, how Starscream is the biggest Decepticon, larger than Megatron I think, it is representative of a much more accurate scale for robots that turn into their respective vehicles.

JediTricks
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
OH THE HUMANITY!!! http://members9.tsukaeru.net/ty1_toys/toys/MP_03a.htm
(the last picture on the page tells the tale, though I believe I had another link in our thread here which showed MP Prime and Screamer with a couple Alternators)

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Picked up TF:Classics Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp 2pack last night at Target - nice set, can't go too wrong unless you're a real hater on the white-prime repaint, but I don't mind it too much, the paint is a little cheap on him but Skywarp makes up for that by being very nice, the painted face is such a difference from cruddy Starscream's unpainted milky plastic face! Packaging on this 2pack is psychotic though, have to open 2 side panels and then deal with 20 twisties and a few clearbands.

Also picked up all 3 TF:Classics wave 2 Minicons sets. The Predator team is downright bad, total "avoid at all costs" bad, way worse than I was expecting and I wasn't expecting much. The other 2 sets are decent except for the street bike "Dirt Rocket" (dumb name) who has a really halfassed transformation and his legs are extremely crappy and can barely stand him. Still, that means I got 4 crappy minicons and 5 nifty ones.

I'll post more about them tomorrow I suppose.

Dominic Guglieme
02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Really, the critter set is that bad? Wow, that is actually one that tempted me. I look forward to your review.

I assume Dirtrocket (delightful name) is the same mold as Offshoot from the sampler I got. Your description sounds about right. The bike form looks good, but the 'bot is just........:cry:

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Prime Voice Changer looks pretty big:
http://tformers.com/BIG-Side-View-of-Movie-Prime-Voice-Changer-Helmet/7100/news.html

Packaged dlx photos, and I didn't remember there being a guy named Wreckage:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1071949

Packaged Barricade:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1072272
So that ugly doofus thing inside there *IS* Frenzy, that thing looks ridiculous, if they had kept the name as Soundwave there would have been ****ing riots in the streets.

Really, the critter set is that bad? Wow, that is actually one that tempted me. I look forward to your review.Oh yeah, it's pathetic, pure avoid-city. I started my comments on them but am running out of time so will post tomorrow or Saturday depending on which I have more time.

I assume Dirtrocket (delightful name) is the same mold as Offshoot from the sampler I got. Your description sounds about right. The bike form looks good, but the 'bot is just........:cry:Yeah, same mold, I think it's even the identical figure right down to the paint masks, just different (and equally pointless) name.

Tycho
02-01-2007, 09:47 PM
There are 2 possibilities for Wreckage:

1) Bonecrusher has been renamed - though I don't think so. There's a robot in the trailer with spiked shoulders that does not resemble any toy we've seen. However, pics we've seen of Bonecrusher show 3 sets of wheels on the ground and a forth raised on each side - likely spare tires actually. But some of the sculpt is wrong for a mine-clearing vehicle versus this personnel carrier.

2) Wreckage is not in the movie, but Hasbro's attempt to expand on the movie with other characters that "might have" been in it. :rolleyes: (It's OK, I hold some significant Hasbro stock for a while now - at least I'll make money off their cheap ideas)

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, Bonecrusher was supposed to be a totally differently shaped vehicle than this and has a different name, but Hasbro does have one of those butt-ugly CGI headshots on the card front, so maybe they changed the name and the vehicle mode and the colors for Bonecrusher - we haven't seen a single mention of him in a while or a toy of him at all.

figrin bran
02-01-2007, 09:55 PM
wow, frenzy is a false terminator endoskeleton!

Dominic Guglieme
02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Aside from Frenzy, I like all of those toys. I think Brawl was initially Bonecrusher. But, I have no idea about Wreckage.

As for the Minicons, I do not mind "Offshoot" as a name. "Dirtrocket", though, just sounds filthy.

figrin bran
02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
My TF's haul for the day: Classics Ramjet from Target, Windcharger and Brawn keychains from WM (i already have G1 Jumper and Bee from way back)

Ramjet is not as nice as Classics Skywarp but still better than Classics Screamer. the retooled wings and missiles look pretty good though the paint apps, especially on the top stripes near the tail, have a bit of overspray on them. on the back of the package, it says there's a fold out landing gear in the nose region of the plane but it's not actually there on the toy.

anyhow, i think i'm pretty much done with TF's for the rest of the year, unless hasbro brings over those new takara beast wars toys that have been shown recently.

Tycho
02-04-2007, 03:12 AM
anyhow, i think i'm pretty much done with TF's for the rest of the year, unless hasbro brings over those new takara beast wars toys that have been shown recently.

4 words:

Alternator Rumble

Alternator Ravage

JediTricks
02-04-2007, 06:15 AM
wow, frenzy is a false terminator endoskeleton!False like a dollar store knockoff! :p Not a bootleg, that'd be a step up, and Frenzy just looks too ridiculous for my words.

Aside from Frenzy, I like all of those toys. I think Brawl was initially Bonecrusher. But, I have no idea about Wreckage. Brawl's been Brawl in the script for a while, Bonecrusher was initially Devastator though. My guess is someone saw all the posts about "every Decepticon has a name starting with 'B' letter" and freaked. Wreckage's alt mode is a lot closer to what was described for Bonecrusher than Brawl, although Wreckage's alt mode is still very different from Bonecrusher's.

As for the Minicons, I do not mind "Offshoot" as a name. "Dirtrocket", though, just sounds filthy.Offshoot as a name has never had much meaning I think by its misuse every time, but Dirtrocket doesn't work on any level.

Ramjet is not as nice as Classics Skywarp but still better than Classics Screamer. the retooled wings and missiles look pretty good though the paint apps, especially on the top stripes near the tail, have a bit of overspray on them. on the back of the package, it says there's a fold out landing gear in the nose region of the plane but it's not actually there on the toy.Haw! Good job Hasbro packaging goobers! Instead of landing gear there, isn't it a robot face?

anyhow, i think i'm pretty much done with TF's for the rest of the year, unless hasbro brings over those new takara beast wars toys that have been shown recently.Turns out they're not new, just repaints of regular BW figs and the Robotmasters versions of the BW leaders. I fear I'm in the same boat as you over being close to done with TFs for '07. Oh, wait, I still have 6" Titanium TFs!

4 words:

Alternator Rumble

Alternator Ravage5 words:
They both look like crap. :p

First, the thoughts on the "Battle for Autobot City" 2pack with Ultra Magnus and Skywarp. I'm going to start each in vehicle mode even though they're packed in bot mode (Magnus' kneecaps are packed untransformed though):

- Skywarp's silver and black look really good together, the orange canopy works surprisingly well too, but his purple plastic is too much red (except for the nosecone's purple which is a darker shade) and the purple paint color borders on being hot pink in places, it's a little hard to ignore after a moment especially since the original Skywarp's purple was nearly all blue -- still, overall the new colorscheme works well in alt mode and even minimizes the excessive undercarriage bot-kibble a little.

Transformation feels a little cheaper at the legs, feet, fists and shoulder plates, which aren't quite as smooth as Starscream's transformation.

Bot mode has a lot going for it, but a lot of that is the overly-light purple. Still, the black and silver look tremendous, the orange cockpit stands out more now, there's red paint detail inside the intake vents on the shoulders, and most importantly, the face has been painted silver and makes a world of difference from Starscream's milky plastic - opaque plastic makes so much of a difference on this figure it's pathetic they let Screamer out with that other trash. Skywarp's sporting red painted eyes, none of the ones I saw were perfect so watch for this. The joints feel as strong as Screamers' or better, with the exception of the transformation joints for the wrists which are loose and drop back in a little, it looks fine this way. On mine, the right missile launcher barely stays in the right shoulder but barely comes out of the fist or wing holes, my guess is the shoulder needs tightening.

Overall, Skywarp is a lot of improvements over what went wrong with the Starscream mold, and having another seeker is never bad even if he is pushing a hot pink look.

- Ultra Magnus' white, blue and silver is "just" a repaint of the Optimus Prime toy, but I say "just" because that's all he ever was as a toy - the Diaclone version is still Convoy just with a new color and trailer. The original Ultra Magnus was just white and silver in tractor mode, while the original Power Convoy he was taken from was blue and silver in tractor mode, and this Classics version blends them so that the lower half of the tractor is blue while the cab is mostly white with some silver and blue, and this works better than the all-white G1 cab (which I have, strangely). The white paint is well-applied; the white of the molded plastic is a little warmer than the white paint on the translucent plastic, and likewise the painted blue is darker than the molded (the molded blue being a few shades lighter than CL Prime's and a little mellower). The colorscheme works pretty well overall, though I would have liked the blue on the windvane to swoop into the blue at the back of the cab instead of being a stripe down the middle. The black pipes add nothing and detract nothing, take it or leave it. The supplementary paint apps are almost non-existant here, with just yellow details on some of the lights, bronze for the wheel hubs, and most importantly since it's something CL Prime doesn't have, silver for the grill and bumper which looks great where it us but is only at the front surface so there's white showing around the sides. The real downer is the lack of color of any sort around the headlights, in accent areas, etc.. With the windvane "hat" and pipes removed, Ultra Mag doesn't quite work as well as stripped Prime - it works ok but it feels emptier because the white shows off the crevasses more or something.

Transformation and assembly feel just as nice as Prime's, thankfully. The windvane hat is a little more snug in alt mode which is good as it keeps it a little closer to the cab's roof. The pipes gun can still come apart at the hinge to make 2 pistols even though this is still not an intended feature.

In bot mode, Hasbro made a big no-no in my book, because the head is on a blue plastic runner they left it blue and then painted it white, but this means getting the head out risks chipping the antennae, and because white is lighter than blue they had to apply a very heavy coat of it so it's a bit gloppy. Also, while the box pictures show the head sporting a black center to the crest, red light-piped eyes, and a blue facemask; the actual figure's eyes are the same dark blue lightpipe as Prime's, and has a silver facemask that isn't painted in the lower corners because they're on a different part (this gives the mask a T shape which does look different from Prime though). The shoulders sport 2 small Autobot logos which look like afterthoughts and totally out of place, it appears that they wanted to stick larger ones across more of the shoulder but tampographing them over the small dent in the middle killed that -- besides his rubsign, these are the only faction logos on Ultra Mag and they're hidden in alt mode. There are a few new painted details such as the yellow circles on the waist, the silver lower chest with faux-grille, and the blue v-shaped paint on the crotch which isn't all that neatly applied. There's zip on the kneecaps though and this really hurts the look. I thought the white & blue windvane-gun would look better than Prime's version, but it really doesn't; and with no paint on the pipes-gun, its best features are kind of lost in the black plastic. Strangely, the combined over-the-shoulder cannon gimmick looks better here than it does Prime.

Overall, an underwhelming repaint of an awesome mold, there's some homagery and it's still a fun figure but a little more care could have gone a long way. If they ever make a trailer/armor for this, I'd love to see it. As it is now, he does have just barely enough going on to be acceptable as another guy so I'm glad I got him with Skywarp but I probably wouldn't have bothered without.

---

CL Minicons wave 2 (strangely, 4 out of the 9 figures here sport 2 minicon powerlinx holes)
- Predator Team:
- - Overbite is a black robo-wolf with dark metallic purple accents and red eyes, plus a silver 'Con logo on his left side. The package photo has him assembled differently from the actual toy and the instructions, with the hips on the wrong sides which is impossible given how the tail is shown. Overbite has an ok sculpt at the head running back some, the lower set of vents been painted dark metallic purple the way the tops were and it would have added to the cohesion since they're actually separate parts but they didn't so they look separate. The sculpting is ok but not as nifty in the rest of the body, and the tail looks like a boot even though it's not. Beast articulation is found at the rear hips, rear knees, the tail can swing up, and the mid-body is a ball joint that can rotate around and drop down. The wolf's complete lack of articulation in the front body kills the beast mode, the pose of the front legs is so straight that it's awkward and makes other poses come out wonky.
Transformation is another variation on "stand up, you're a robot" seen a lot in Beast Wars - here the head splits to become the arms, the rear legs stand up, half of the rear feet fold over to become heels, and the waist rotates around, it'd be ok if the beast front legs didn't end up kibble sticking straight out his upper back a country mile.
Bot mode looks good from far but sucks up close. From the front he has stylized lines thanks to the arms and legs; his head is red with a white face and his stomach is white, the deco's not really the problem though. First, as mentioned, the beast forelegs are heavy kibble, and the tail just folds halfway up to almost match them. Then the arms have no real hands with the wolf head halves' mouths being closed and no detail at all on the underside. Also, from the side he's got thunder-thighs. But the biggest offense I think is the lack of a FACE!!! He's got a sculpted helmet around the face, but no eyes, no nose, no mouth painted or sculpted, that's crap! What is he, The Blank from Dick Tracy? Articulation is knees with limited backwards range, hips, a ball-jointed waist that can rotate or let the upper body tilt back, and ball-jointed shoulders in the middle of his torso so he can raise his arms and then cross one most of the way in front of his torso (one or the other, not both, they can meet but then they get in the way of each other). Despite the tiny feet, the figure can stand ok. It sounds like a lot of articulation but it adds up to not much.

- - Dreadwing's beast mode is a robo eagle, brown with light silvery-blue and red-orange, plus a purple 'Con logo at the top of the left wing. They really did a disservice by painting the head pure red-orange with nothing else, it sucks the detail right out of it. And the underside sports no deco at all. One of the widest minicons thanks to awkward feather extensions that rotate around to make the wingtips, but they're done so instead of flowing with the wing's top curve they go against it and are on a separate level, it looks bad. There are lots of sculpted lines, but not much tight detail except at the legs on the underside which work better and end in clenched talons. Oh, and they left the bot head staring out the top of the bird's midsection, gamely pretending to be covered by the wings. The head is articulated but cannot move in beast mode, the only articulation is the rotating wingtips and the ball jointed rear halves of the legs. The beast mode feels half-baked.
Transformation is a complicated little number with the wings splitting in half width-wise, the front halves rotating over to become legs (but more often popping off their ball joints), the rear halves with tail halves swinging down to become odd-shaped kibble wings, the legs rotating down to become the arms, and the head rotating over from the back. The beast head could also rotate downwards but it looks bad with an upside-down bird head sticking out the front of the crotch. The wings-cum-legs are trouble to get back into beast mode thanks to wonky placement of the ball joints.
Bot mode is unusual, the hips start up just under the short chest but pull off a more normal look when close to the bird head crotch. The neck-less head (there's a small gap under it) is a long bird-like bot face, red-orange with a silver face. There's a lot of wing kibble, it's a cape and it's large feathers like Mercury's shoes. The usable articulation is limited ball-jointed elbows, side-hinged shoulders, ball-jointed hips, and the head that can look up or down. The figure can stand ok thanks to feet that aren't too small or lacking heels. Overall this is just a phoned-in robot unfortunately.

- - Snarl is a robot tiger, his blockiness doesn't really fit the aesthetics of the others in the team. The figure is a muted dark orange with black, and a little copper accent work that would have worked if it was found in more than 1 small place on each side. Unfortunately, Hasbro cheaped out and didn't include the green eyes or purple 'Con logo that the proto sports, instead leaving them black and cruddy. Most of the sculpted detail is just rounded lines here and there, the thick front legs being even more plain - actually, if you look close enough there is more going on, but somehow it's spread out in such a way on this blocky cat that it's largely lost. Beast articulation is limited to the opening jaw and the tail that can hinge up; his left rear leg can also lift like a dog peeing on a tree if you want to count that. My favorite part is that inside the tiger's mouth when you open it is a blaster barrel on the hinge. The catbot's unusual blocky sculpt and blaster-in-mouth remind me more of Power Rangers than Transformers.
Transformation has several large sections folding down, the front leg piece dropping down and then short legs rotate out from inside/behind them.
Snarl's bot mode is horrendously bad, I can give them the torso, the slightly cat-like square bot head with classic G1 combiner feel, and even the cat-head with entire upper front body as the right arm, but the lower body displaying at the empty cavity side and the left arm being a confused mishmash of the cat butt that has no discernible arm, that's asking too damn much. The chest doesn't have the prototype's 3 bold stripes and the face doesn't have the green eyes so it's just an orange helmet with a black face, which sucks the life right out of it. Is there even a left arm? I don't buy this, the shoulder is supposed to be the rear half of the cat and the arm is supposed to be the rear left leg rotated around, but at best it looks laughable. The legs are functional in that he stands and there are 2 of them, but they're so wide and use the gappy side of the part, the new feet are plain, and the whole thing is wide like he's wearing pants way too big for the top of the bot. Articulation is a ball-jointed waist that can rotate or bow forward, 2 separate limited worthless ball-jointed left shoulder joints, an outer-hinged right shoulder, a ball-jointed inner shoulder, and the opening cat-mouth for the hand. Oh, can't forget about the cat-tail on the left shoulder which, when used, mainly just gets in the way. The right shoulder salvages that arm as best it can by giving great range and letting it raise up, but there's no reason to bother since the rest of the figure is such an ugly bulk. Overall, this is like the Transformer who has to take the little yellow bus to school, there is so much that doesn't work and doesn't look right it's appalling.

Damn, I didn't expect to write that much about these, it's super late, the others will have to wait. But the Predacon Minicon team fails at every level imaginable, not fun, not well-executed, not well-articulated, not well-painted, just not well-thought-out in general and is best purchased for laughing at. I cannot find the love, so the set gets a grade I don't think I've ever given a TF toy before... Grade: F

Tycho
02-04-2007, 08:20 AM
There are 2 possibilities for Wreckage:

1) Bonecrusher has been renamed - though I don't think so. There's a robot in the trailer with spiked shoulders that does not resemble any toy we've seen. However, pics we've seen of Bonecrusher show 3 sets of wheels on the ground and a forth raised on each side - likely spare tires actually. But some of the sculpt is wrong for a mine-clearing vehicle versus this personnel carrier.

2) Wreckage is not in the movie, but Hasbro's attempt to expand on the movie with other characters that "might have" been in it. :rolleyes: (It's OK, I hold some significant Hasbro stock for a while now - at least I'll make money off their cheap ideas)

It's been settled. Bonecrusher is still in the movie. His toy has not yet been shown. Wreckage is not in the movie, but a toy "inspired by," similarly to how Kenner's SW Mini-rigs were "inspired" back in the day.

JediTricks
02-05-2007, 04:16 AM
One thing I forgot to mention in my review of the Predator Team is that the transformation is so lame and simplistic that the instructions literally repeat step 2 as step 3 either as a mistake or to fill space. Also, in my final comment about the set, I wanted to add this: "I've never has a minicon set before that I didn't see some nifty idea I wanted to see brought forward in a larger format until now."

And now, the other sets...

- Clear Skies Team (not a very good name)
- - Nightscream is a 4-legged, winged dragon cast in dark red and mellow orange plastics. He also sports metallic yellow and black paint accents, plus his beast eyes are metallic blue; he sports a black Autobot logo on his right shoulder. He's got a huge wingspan for a minicon, over 3.5"; and he's over 3" long. I've found that robotic dragons tend to not look so robotic because the sculptors blend mechanical with scales too well and that's the case here. He's a European folklore dragon styling, with a long neck, a bulky body, a curved tail, and thin wings. The beast is in a semi-sitting position; articulation is found at the mouth-opening head, ball-jointed neck base (up/down and rotation only), side-hinged wings, and base of tail. It's a solid look, although the powerlinx port as his butt is a little awkward.
Transformation is nifty with the entire sides folding away, the tail rotating around at the base, and the the underside rotating up to become the upper body. The tail ball joint can pop off if not rotated right but it's easy to avoid.
Bot mode is a little unusual, the upper body has a dragon head and tail for arms, the upper chest looks like it's floating over the rest of the thin, almost flat torso; while the legs are made up entirely of the dragon's sides. There's a lot of intricate sculpted details revealed in the mid-torso to help keep this flat piece interesting, but the lack of color transition from the chest to the rest keeps them separate. Colors are the same, a bit more black and yellow included in the upper body, the head being red and the face being all yellow - no blue eyes that the prototype had though. The head is a little impish and reminds me more of something you'd see on a bat-bot than a dragon, though the helmet ends at the front in tiny unpainted horns; the face has a somewhat big nose and simple features. The left arm has mostly an arm shape even with a chunk cut away from transformation, the "hand" is the joint for the tail, they gamely tried to sculpt a claw hand onto the top so I'll give them points there - you'll be best served to fold the tail up till it stops. The right arm is just a dragon neck, no pretense otherwise. The legs look a little odd from the side but taper down nicely and he's a standing champion and has a few nifty poses. Articulation is the ball-jointed shoulders, opening dragon-head hand, movable dragon-tail hand, ball-jointed back (so the upper torso can rotate side to side or bow forward), hinged wings, and standard hips and knees. The right arm is hindered so it can't be brought straight forward, instead curving around slightly.
Overall, it took me a short time to get to like this guy, but now I do, even if he isn't my favorite. Bot mode is a tad unusual but very stable and posable. I'd love to see this one scaled up to a Mega size as there's lots of nifty ideas here.

- - Thunderwing is an F-14 Tomcat, they did a very good job capturing those lines, only the sweeping-back cockpit is really off. It's medium-dark blue with a dull silver cockpit, yellow and then crappy yellow paint accents (they're too thin so they don't match, the nose proves this where it's not as thin and matches), plus gold faction logos on the wings - the colorscheme is borrowing heavily from the Navy's Blue Angels demonstration squad even though they fly F/A-18s. There's an ok level of sculpted details but it feels a tad spartan especially on the underside; the plane has permanently-down landing gear which I don't dig but oh well. Sticking out the back of the plane is a large center engine, the powerlinx port that's also the bot head on the other side, it does a fair job getting away with this. The wings are articulated to sweep forward. The whole thing is pretty solid.
Transformation feels a little simple yet it moves all the parts around. Fold up the rear middle of the plane, rotate the engine/tails around to make legs, split the nose and then rotate the fuselage back, then place the head and chest. If you don't split the nose while separating the fuselage halves, the cockpit arms will pop out of one of the joints. The tail fold-around is a bit old-school, but it works. When transforming back, watch for the alignment tabs in the back of the arms as they only let you rotate the arms into place from 1 direction.
Bot mode feels very old-school to me with its more simplified sculpt, lack of neck, and more classic lines. Now the yellow is on the bottom, the blue on top, and the head has a dark red visor with silver face. Sculpted detail is still spartan and what is there doesn't get much play with the colors it's cast in. The front is a big panel, small head with rounded helmet, tall V-shaped shoulders from the engine intakes, the arms are cockpit halves with a minimal arm shape sculpted inside, the back is mostly filled in with wings hanging straight down behind, and the legs are simple thighs leading to footless shins that have wings out the front and back. The chest has a couple bolt-type shapes and in the stomach what looks like a blaster muzzle. Articulation is limited to just ball-jointed shoulders, they can rotate and angle in towards each other so they cross at the hands. He can stand very well thanks to heels made from landing gear.
Overall, it's not a very impressive bot mode but I find it does have some charm in an old-school sort of way. And I love the alt mode even if the colors are all wrong for this guy. I dunno, I just kind of dig him.

- - Steel Wind is an A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka the Warthog), a slow, low-flying, heavily armed and armored Air Force fighter jet. He's cast in dull silver plastic with dark red accents, blue cockpit, and a bright red Autobot logo just under the cockpit on the left side - these colors would have been more appropriate for Thunderwing I think as the Warthog is most well-known in green. The plane's shape is an elongated and widened, but it's unmistakable with it's rounded fuselage and unusual twin tail design and nose cannon. Plus it's sporting a bunch of bombs and rockets under the wings. The sculpt has the right amount of details, although it has permanently-deployed landing gear under the nose and wing pods (which makes it back-heavy so the nose tips up a little). The one thing I'm not down with is the ball-jointed robo-hips for the midsection, they leave a tiny gap and don't transition well to the torso, they also allow the plane to misalign and twist - otherwise though, it's solid.
Transformation is a treat in no small part because the robot fists actually slide out from the engines, I've never seen a minicon do that before, and so effectively. I also like how the legs form by the wings splitting along the long axis and the front half rotating around. Finally, the rear half of the plane splits down to reveal the head.
Bot mode is awkward with long legs, very long feet, wide narrow shoulders, stubby arms, and an elongated head - if the feet weren't so long and the head somewhat featureless, it'd probably have worked fine. The colors remain the same, the red is dialed back while the head gets a glossy off-black. The legs are heavily armed and extra lumpy for it, but I think it works. The arms are engines and if they had longer biceps it'd be fantastic. The shoulders are the wide and bladelike. The head is an odd, long isosceles trapezoid that's fairly flat and has no eyes, it reminds me of an Easter Island statue but in proportion, the mouth gets lost in the silver plastic and the nose is flat and pointed, it's a very unusual look and no eyes really hurts - maybe it's supposed to be a covering visor, but it doesn't pull it off, Prime can have a mouthplate but this is different. Articulation is limited ball-jointed hips (they can rotate and swing back), ball-jointed elbows, hinged feet, and from transformation the shoulders side-hinge at the chest so they can swing up. The feet aren't flat on the bottom despite being so long, so they have to be worked with for posing; the lack of forward-moving legs and real shoulder joints do hurt this one.
Overall, it's an odd duck, I like most of the alt mode and it has some nifty ideas for a minicon, but there are some elements it cannot pull off and that head fails it. I'd say he's slightly more than the sum of his parts though.

The Clear Skies guys don't have much in common, they're all a little unusual but they all sorta work on their own in my book. I'm sure some collectors will not like this set at all though as it's not for every transfan. Grade: C+ / B-
---

- Dirt Digger Team (another bad name)
- - Dirt Rocket, how is that a good name for a street bike? How is that a good name at all? Anyway, alt mode is a yellow superbike, this isn't the first minicon motorcycle but I think it's the first superbike-style one. Bike mode is very nice, complete and solid, it stands on its own but also can roll. The colors are yellow, metallic purple, black, and silver; the purple 'Con logo is on the top of the tank. I don't love the colors or the purple's fractured-stripes pattern, but it's not outside of the norm for these bikes. Sculpting is decent without being busy and has no kibble, unless you count the powerlinx ports on either side of the engine area (and they're probably a little difficult to use in this location), the only sculpt issues might be the unusually-wide handlebars and a cut-away in the faring side that exposes the empty inside (but this is rarely even noticeable).
Transformation is fairly different from any motorcycle TF I can recall, maybe a slight commonality with BM Thrust at a small level. It has plenty going on but feels unsatisfying, and they cheat by padding the instructions with 3 extra steps that are just about repositioning the arms. The seat folds out to become the arms, the front end of the bike folds down to become the legs, and the gas tank flips up to reveal the head - it's clever but poorly realized here, a larger format might do it some needed justice.
Bot mode has a tiny bit of style yet also a lot of disappointments. The style comes from the seat as arms and pipes sticking up out the back, and from an isometric view it's not too bad. The disappointments come from an unbelievably cheap leg design that's basically just a front of a bike pointing down and split in half showing off how hollow it is, and it that ends in non-feet that are holding him upright at 2 tiny rounded points each so standing is a challenge and posing a fantasy. More disappointments come from the rear wheel being pure kibble sticking straight out the back so he's back-heavy (as if he needed more trouble standing), a hollow chest under the neck-less head, a lack of new sculpted detail (just the head and faux-arm tops), odd proportions, ball joints for hips that are unusual and pop out easy and feel like they're going to break, and a paint job that brings nothing to the robot party. The head is small, rounded, a yellow helmet with a silver face and they didn't add the purple painted eyes the prototype sports. Articulation is ball-jointed shoulder pegs, horizontally-hinged shoulders (they work well together though), annoying ball-jointed hips that point downward, and hinged knees. None of the leg joints can bring much to the party because, besides posing issues, when you move the legs their piecey look and odd proportions really don't look like you've done anything.
Overall, it's a very nice alt mode but a troubled bot mode which is no surprise for a motorcycle minicon - yet here they were a lot closer and fell a lot harder. I don't really like Dirt Rocket that much, but I must confess there is something a little interesting and fiddly about him, and I do want to see the ideas presented here tried at a larger level with more possibilities for finesse.

- - Oil Slick is kind of badass in alt mode, he's a '70s musclecar, the longer hood, swooped sides, fatter lines, and cabin set further back give it a Torino feel or a Monte Carlo, maybe even one of the luxury cross-overs from that era - in any event, it looks pretty tough. The grille looks great, there are separated side mirrors and the overall lines have a real essence about it; the only real drawback is the smaller front wheels. The car is solid and the only gap is in between the taillights. The colors are orange with black windows, medium-purple flames on the front end, and dark gray wheels; center of the roof sports a black 'Con logo. The flames almost seem like primer work which adds more of a tough junkyard feel.
Transformation is simple but I find it satisfying. The whole front end splits and folds down to become the arms, inside them flips out the "hands", then the rear end folds down a little and rotates around to become the legs. I often pop the ball-jointed hips out because I try to transform it in the wrong order.
Bot mode looks tough, a real scrapper. His arms are big thick halves of the front of the car while the doors make up the shoulder kibble sticking up - it totally works though, and I can see someone repainting this as Rumble, he's even got metal pin heads in his chest, if he could kneel it'd work great (even if the head is different). Despite the large arms, the proportions work very nicely in bot mode with wide shoulders tapering down to a narrow midsection then back out to big boots. There aren't a lot of little sculpted details, but it works for this guy. The left hand is a pincher claw (non-functioning), and the right hand is a partly-serrated knife! He'll cut you, man! His head is a purple cut-away visor at the top with a silver face, simple yet effective. The legs look alright ending in boots that have a toe section made from the back of the cabin, but they're hollow in the back save a thin fender wall for the heels and they're designed to stand splayed so he has stability issues - leaning him forward at the hips a little or raising his arms will counter this to a degree. Articulation is limited ball-jointed hips, standard waist, side-hinged shoulder pins, and ball-jointed shoulders. The arm articulation gives so well, tons of range of motion and pose potential; the hip articulation however is limited forward and back to perhaps 30 degrees, past that and they pop right out.
Overall, I really dig this one despite the legs having a few big issues with posability. Alt mode looks awesome and bot mode is a real scrapper, he's got a little G1 cassette-bot homage thing going on, and his right hand is a knife! I want to see a larger version done with better leg articulation and feet/heels, but make sure to keep the cool factor.

- - Grindor, really, that's the name you want to give this guy? It was a stupid name for the skateboard minicon but at least that made a little sense, here it's like they picked it out of a hat. Anyway, alt mode is blatantly an homage to the monster truck "Grave Digger", which itself is an old-school panel truck (the truck version of a station wagon). Grindor is a modernized version of that panel truck, similar lines but a little less rounded at the edges. Grave Digger is black with green flames, Grindor is dark gray with green flames at the front (no side panel deco or red headlights tho'); Grave Digger has a green under-frame and some of Grindor's under-frame is green; and of course, Grindor's also a monster truck. Grindor has a few sculpted interior frame elements and some bot kibble acts as the running board/frame between the wheels. The bot arms hang down the back with a pretense that they're springs I guess, it does sorta work. The right rear wheel has the copyright info sculpted in small as the tire's sidewall text, that was slick; the front wheel hubs are 5mm holes for standard pegs or powerlinx hardpoints (they won't activate 'em, obviously). The sculpted details are pretty good, not great but barely enough. The front windshield and windows are painted yellow while the other windows are unpainted (which would be consistent with a panel wagon); there's a silver 'Con logo on the front cabin roof. Despite being a monster truck with huge wheels, the ground clearance is actually pretty low due to the limitations of being a minicon.
Transformation is simple yet satisfying, almost elegant. The hood swings away in halves taking the front wheels with them, the front wheels peg face-to-face into the rear wheels and then they fold down, the rear of the truck splits and fold back to make arms, and the head folds up (which the stupid packaging photo didn't even bother doing). Again I find a minicon whose ideas feel fresh enough that I'd like to see them attempted at a larger scale.
Bot mode is beefy and tough with wide shoulders, blocky mean head, and thick legs. The only stuff I'd call kibble would be the truck cab as a backpack. The stacked wheel legs work a lot better than they did on Blastcharge from BM, and they end in feet formed by the front-end halves, so it's stable despite being relatively without heels on a back-heavy figure. The head is lifted almost verbatim from Cybertron's Crumplezone with a similar crest, thin eyes, and "chomper" jaw. The body's details seem like they want to use a frame concept a la the monster truck theme, but it doesn't quite pull off, still even without tons of sculpted details it looks alright. The arms look pretty decent, classic TF arms really. The deco is the about the same, a little more green plastic showing and leading into the green flames now at the feet, and some more yellow paint details like the bands around the arms and the crest on the head - the yellow paint is pretty sloppy on the head and is the only paint there, so the dark gray plastic makes it tougher to see his facial features. Articulation is pretty good, it includes forward-hinged shoulder pins, limited ball-jointed shoulders, universal-jointed hips (rotation plus side-hinge), and the feet are side-hinged so that if you splay his legs the feet can remain flat on the ground (at least, I assume that's why it's there, there's no mention in the packaging that it exists and I can't find a better way to use it). The arm ball-joints only rotate the shoulder up and down like a standard joint (plus you can revolve the arm on the long axis so the fist is facing down instead of in), but the inner hinge allows him to cross an arm all the way across his chest for defense or pimp-slapping action.
Overall, despite a crappy name this is a really nifty minicon. The monster truck is cool on its own and then is an homage to one of the most famous ones of all time. The transformation is something clever and effective. The bot mode is a real bruiser and even has some decent range of motion considering the joint limitations. He's not the best minicon ever, but he's good at what he is.

The Dirt Digger Team is my favorite set of the wave even if 2 of the 3 names totally suck, Dirt Rocket is a poor robot, and Oil Slick has some stability issues. I really dig both Grindor and Oil Slick, they've got lots of personality and charm, and they're both tough and mean scrapper-lookin' dudes. Grade: B

Dominic Guglieme
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I am tempted by the beast Minis, purely on the strength of JT's review. (The crotch beak on the bird guy does not hurt either.)

The Clear Skies Team sound better than I thought it would. (Interesting that the F14 here has a new name, while the dragon has the name the F14 had in the sampler pack.)

And, I say again, "Dirrocket" is a filthy name. Filthy, nasty, vile.

figrin bran
02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Movie Preview Protoform Prime and Starscream are available at walmart.com right now.

just thought i'd pass that on in case anyone actually wants them ;)

Chaddymac
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Movie Preview Protoform Prime and Starscream are available at walmart.com right now.

just thought i'd pass that on in case anyone actually wants them ;)
I want them. I miss rocklords. ;)

JediTricks
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I am tempted by the beast Minis, purely on the strength of JT's review. (The crotch beak on the bird guy does not hurt either.)You want to buy a set based solely on me giving it an F? :p I saw the review over at tformers, naturally they thought highly of it - I've not been agreeing with their reviews lately very much.

The Clear Skies Team sound better than I thought it would. (Interesting that the F14 here has a new name, while the dragon has the name the F14 had in the sampler pack.) I swear they're just throwing darts at names on a wall with these things.

just thought i'd pass that on in case anyone actually wants them ;)Yeah, I saw that, they're now listed as out-of-stock... shockingly. My guess is they put up the entries prematurely and don't have them at all, but I did theorize earlier that they'd be available way early so maybe. I don't want them.

I want them. I miss rocklords. ;)Trust me, no you don't. :D Plus, these protoforms are more like Turdlords.

I'm considering swapping Skywarp's head with Starscream's, they're the same deco basically but Skywarp's head has the silver-painted face on black plastic which looks so much better than Screamer's milky silver plastic head with black paint on the helmet.

Figgy B stashed me the other Ramjet at that Target, I picked it up yesterday, Figgy's got a passion for stashin', he's da man!

Ramjet is not as nice as Classics Skywarp but still better than Classics Screamer. the retooled wings and missiles look pretty good though the paint apps, especially on the top stripes near the tail, have a bit of overspray on them. on the back of the package, it says there's a fold out landing gear in the nose region of the plane but it's not actually there on the toy. On mine, the stripes are clean but a tiny bit off-center (REALLY tiny bit). There's a few little paint scrapes, but the only thing I think is a paint issue in my book is the white of the nose - casting the nose in dark gray meant there was no hope for the white paint matching the white plastic, but it's even worse because the white plastic around the cockpit picks up less light and darkens in the center - this would be totally unnoticeable and actually give it a realistic tone if not for the white paint on the nose part. To their credit, the white nose paint is consistent and doesn't seem thick or gloppy despite being a light color on top of a dark plastic.

I guess I'll just slap down a review right now of Ramjet since I'm already in that mindset...

Ramjet's alt mode does a good job emulating the G1 figure, yet remains more his own thing by changing the nose and putting real detail into the delta wings, though they could have been a little bigger. I especially like the jet engine intakes on the wing's engines, and the jagged leading edges to the wings. The larger rounded missiles aren't that bad, a littlle too big but they seat very close to the launcher which is good, I just wish the launcher wasn't set back quite so far. The plane seems physically smaller than Screamer because of the shorter nose and smaller wing surface area that's also set further back - this does let the front landing gear look better when engaged though. The new nose is more like an F-14 and I like it, that and the wings totally changes the feel to something new. There's an alignment issue between the front and rear halves of the wings that prevents the legs from telescoping the last few millimeters, as a perfectionist it bothers me. The one thing I don't like about the new wing engines is the thrust nozzles are way different from the ones on the leg engines.
I'm not a fan of Hasbro's white plastic, it always looks cheap, takes dirt easily, and hides sculpted detail - this is the case with Ramjet but the other paint details keep it from being a problem, and unlike Classics Starscream the white plastic has a visually-solid surface rather than being milky. The dark gray cockpit with white painted lines looks ok, it's true to G1 but not inspiring. The black paint on the intakes looks good, I'm not in love with the red stripes or odd gold on the back of the engines (the red should have more going on), but the red paint and gray plastic of the wings look great. The gold on the underside seems to be the most dominant visual, but isn't any more offensive than the rest of the underside. The underside is still too thick and the white shows off how hollow the middle is, but the lack of color keeps it tamer than Starscream's awful underside even though Ramjet's bot-face is right there uncovered under the nose. The launchers are dark gray with white barrels and triggers, and they painted the vents on the launcher gold. Strangely, Ramjet's the only version of this mold to get the landing wheels/chest turbines painted even though they chose boring dark gray. In bot mode, say goodbye to the red and hello to more gold and this interesting rough gray - the gold looks very striking against the gray but underwhelming against the white. I really wish they had been able include more of the red in bot mode, most ends up facing backwards or is hidden behind the arms, the thighs are especially blank and would have benefited greatly from red details.
Bot mode separates itself very well from the Starscream figure thanks to a new head with new face, and a totally different wing configuration. Without the blasters on his shoulders, he seems more like a grunt, with them he seems a lot tougher. The chest still feels like a blocky facade (which it is) but blends a little better with the rest than Screamer and I'm not totally sure why, maybe the colors.The back winglets work ok, the leg ones less so since there's jointing without a solid idea of where they should be, but it's not too bad. The bot look veers from the G1 with a totally different wing configuration, and the cone-head effect works far better this time around. The head is a smaller cone so it's not totally doofy, the face doesn't take up the whole cone so it has room to look like the cartoon without being that silly tapered look, he looks mean without being dumb. The dark gray face with red eyes stands out nicely from the white cone, but the legs feel far too plain visually compared to the upper body with a lot more going on. Articulation is the same as Screamer - so posability is still limited due to the lack of a real waist - except Ramjet has even less room to turn his head due to the closeness of the cone to the vents, but at least he doesn't have wings to bang into when he raises his arm-cannons. The transformation joints on the back and shoulder plates are a little easier to de-transform this time around, but it's not too bad.
Overall, Ramjet is a worthy remold that even improves on a few issues that Starscream had, and Ramjet's a good G1 homage. Vehicle mode is nifty and different enough but has a few little issues and could use a little more paint details. Bot mode is good but a tad plain and lacking the red that makes him stand out. The cone head works better than I expected but is unhidden in alt mode and can't turn much in bot mode. It's a good entry, and I'd really like to see them redo the wings and paint so he'd be Thrust (I don't like Dirge's wings, he can slag off). Grade: B- / B

Dominic Guglieme
02-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I do like the preview Starscream figure.

And, as for Minicons, dude, crotch-beak. C'mon, man. Crotch-beak. That is the single rudest TF design ever. :yes:

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Boxed photo of Leader-class Optimus, role-play stuff and Ultimate Bumblebee:
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsID=A368F4E4-D56F-E112-4603602417141C66

Leader-class Optimus box has a try-me I fear may lead to breakage, you have to pull a lever down in his chest.

Role-play Battle Rig Blaster's box seems very un-Transformers.

Ultimate Bumblebee has a HUGE battery box hanging behind his butt, and his face looks like an old creepy robotic version of Mickey Rooney. It looks like he's another RID-style shellmaster, not one bit of the vehicle mode seems to make up a crucial robot component. And I hate how the chest hinges stick up so much.

Tycho
02-10-2007, 05:06 PM
I kind of like the Ultimate BumbleBee more than the other products shown.

Right now there is NO (zero) Movie Product that I'll definitely be buying.

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Is it more about your Masterpiece addiction or is it the designs?

What do you like about Ultimate Bee?

Tycho
02-10-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm not addicted to Master Pieces. I'm not yet sold on Megatron MP05.

I no longer like inaccurate size changes in alt-modes (at least THAT extreme anyway).

The Alternators - well, aside from the fact that I pick and choose my purchases, I own 8 and plan on Rumble and Ravage, well that is an addiction.

I'd NEVER have gone back to buying Transformers, I was completely uninterested, were it not for Alts Smokescreen and especially SideSwipe. Then MPE 01 Prime was too much to resist.

I like Ultimate BumbleBee because he's sort of cute. He'll wrap neatly into Camarro form if those are accurate pictures.

I never got Hasbro's interactive R2-D2, but I don't really regret it. BumbleBee adds a transformation effect to the concept of an "AI" toy and I really want to see how that will work out. It might be such a unique item that I'll have to get it.

Also, notice BumbleBee's face does sort of look more "human," than the previous movie pics we've seen. I think that because they can alter their forms, they originally not only appear in protoforms and adopt earth vehicle disguises, but towards the end of the film when they'll decide to stay on earth, they'll adopt more human looking (G1) faces that we all find more familiar. In this way, movie 2 will be set up to be much more the G1 show that many fans want.

It remains to be seen whether the Decepticons would bother with this though. But I could definitely see the Autobots doing so.

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I think you're mistaken about his human face being from the movie, they've shown final shots of his Concept Camaro face and it's the same creepy round mouth weirdness. My guess is Hasbro wanted this to feel more personable when talking and had to design a humanoid face for it (old-geezery though it is).

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Looks like we were both mistaken Tycho, Steve's shot of Ulti-Bee from the side shows the same dumbass movie face we already know, so I was wrong that it the toy looked more human than the movie and you were wrong that it looks different in the movie.
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=7795&cat=2192

Something IS up with his face though as there's this weirdness: http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=7803&cat=2192

Not much else in the gallery, though there is a grown man in a suit trying on the Optimus voice changer helmet. :p

BountyHunterScum
02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Tycho, I actually tried to get Nemesis Prime but due to Hasbro shop's incompetence I didn't get him. I still kinda want him but I will never pay too much for him. They may mass produce him later maybe. If not, who gives a s--t it's not like I buy them anyway since the line is pretty much dead.

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Did I miss something, or were there no new Classics shown at ToyFair? :(

Tycho
02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Tycho, I actually tried to get Nemesis Prime but due to Hasbro shop's incompetence I didn't get him. I still kinda want him but I will never pay too much for him. They may mass produce him later maybe. If not, who gives a sh-t it's not like I buy them anyway since the line is pretty much dead.

OK, first I like SOME of the design ideas presented for Michael Bay's movie and a non-Bionicle robot could come from changing Nemesis Prime into Ironhide (with a headsculpt change of course). But a black pick up truck Alternator was never mass marketed to retail.

The Alt line is not dead, as the Jaguar Ravage and Honda Rumble are on their way so far as I know (though I don't recall seeing any images of them from ToyFair). However Ravage has been released in the UK.

BountyHunterScum
02-12-2007, 08:45 AM
OK, first I like SOME of the design ideas presented for Michael Bay's movie and a non-Bionicle robot could come from changing Nemesis Prime into Ironhide (with a headsculpt change of course). But a black pick up truck Alternator was never mass marketed to retail.

The Alt line is not dead, as the Jaguar Ravage and Honda Rumble are on their way so far as I know (though I don't recall seeing any images of them from ToyFair). However Ravage has been released in the UK.

Heh they release the interesting car outside of the US what a shock. The line has hit a near standstill though since there are no real cars coming out that I know of. Camaro Concept Nissan GT-R Etc.

Chaddymac
02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Tycho, I actually tried to get Nemesis Prime but due to Hasbro shop's incompetence I didn't get him. I still kinda want him but I will never pay too much for him. They may mass produce him later maybe. If not, who gives a sh-t it's not like I buy them anyway since the line is pretty much dead.
I've got a couple Nemmy's I'm trying to get rid of. Thought I bought them for friends, turns out they didn't need them. If you're interested, PM me.

BountyHunterScum
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
I've got a couple Nemmy's I'm trying to get rid of. Thought I bought them for friends, turns out they didn't need them. If you're interested, PM me.

How much are we talkin?

Chaddymac
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
How much are we talkin?
Cost plus shipping. I just want me money back.

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Words fail me.

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=54&p2_articleid=1065

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE ULTIMATE BUMBLEBEE
(Approximate Retail Price: $89.99; Ages: 5 & up; Available: Fall 2007)

Fans of TRANSFORMERS will love seeing BUMBLEBEE come to life on the big screen and this fall, they can experience the ULTIMATE BUMBLEBEE action figure, which is among the most realistic and technical TRANSFORMERS toys ever. The impressively styled Chevrolet Camaro Concept car changes into the beloved AUTOBOTS character, which stands an imposing 14 inches tall. BUMBLEE will “come to life” with robot animatronics action in both car and robot modes. Working headlights, battle sounds, and music, including Devo’s “Whip It”, all add to the interactive experience.

So, in the film, Bumblebee repeatedly poops on people to the outdated sounds of Devo?

Does Megatron pee on humans and say, "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Starscream? I pity the fool!"?

Chaddymac
02-14-2007, 01:56 PM
C'mon, dude. Show some love for the 80's. That was the birthtime for the Transformers, afterall. Besides, that won't be the only clip included, it's probably just the first one they got the rights to.

Tycho
02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh they gotta have BumbleBee play Styxx and "Mr. Roboto." lol

Maybe OingoBoingo and "Weird Science."

How about Quiet Riot and "Metal Health?"

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 03:05 PM
So, I'm in the minority when I say that a Bumblebee who transforms into a Camaro, poops on people, and jams to Devo is more wrong than watching George H W Bush and Barbara making an adult movie?

Tycho
02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Yes. Definitely. That example with the Bushes is just horrifying!

I think it's time to have El Chuxter's head checked (and this is coming from a guy that sniffs Mouse Droids!)

seanmcfripp
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Did I miss something, or were there no new Classics shown at ToyFair? :(

I must have missed them too. Not only that, I don't see any TF sites reporting the fate of Classics. I know the line was only intended to fill in until the movie line, but I thought someone would have at least asked the Hasbro booth about how Classics might continue later on (like a Universe subline or something). And yet, there are no such reports.

figrin bran
02-14-2007, 09:38 PM
So, I'm in the minority when I say that a Bumblebee who transforms into a Camaro, poops on people, and jams to Devo is more wrong than watching George H W Bush and Barbara making an adult movie?

i'll join in this boycott, Chux.

Chaddymac
02-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I must have missed them too. Not only that, I don't see any TF sites reporting the fate of Classics. I know the line was only intended to fill in until the movie line, but I thought someone would have at least asked the Hasbro booth about how Classics might continue later on (like a Universe subline or something). And yet, there are no such reports.
Classics are not dead but we won't see any new ones this year. They'll be on hiatus while the movie toys and some lame Energon recolors come out (most likely under the movie banner). Classics will most likely return next year with a few more recolors and a few all new molds (rumored to include Sideswipe, Prowl, and Cosmos--yes, Cosmos). No definitive word on whether this would be a part of or in addition to the new animated series.

El Chuxter
02-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Y'know what I'd like to see?

Hasbro working with some major Japanese anime studio to produce a more grown-up version of Transformers, based on the Classics design (but working in some G1 and Alternators). Not in lieu of a kiddie cartoon, but in addition to it. Something for those of us who can't watch more than two minutes of any of the 'toons since Beast Wars without bashing our heads against a wall in frustration.

Tycho
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
How cool would a deluxe sized, or "leader sized" SeaSpray be?

I just thought of the minibot today for some reason, and how rare a hovercraft is.

I think it would be awsome if they made SeaSpray in some realistic size and fully articulated him (gave him seperable legs, etc.)

Does anybody like SeaSpray around here?

Chaddymac
02-15-2007, 09:57 PM

I just thought of the minibot today for some reason, and how rare a hovercraft is.

I think it would be awsome if they made SeaSpray in some realistic size and fully articulated him (gave him seperable legs, etc.)

Does anybody like SeaSpray around here?
No, go home :p

El Chuxter
02-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Seaspray isn't my favorite, but he's quite cool. I could go for a "Classics" figure of him.

figrin bran
02-16-2007, 12:57 AM
I'd like a Seaspray but only as an Alternator or MPE :p

only kidding, i'd definitely get a Classics version. Cosmos would be even better though...would love to see what they do with him.

Dominic Guglieme
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM

Dude, Bumblebee does not poop on people. He, in fact, skeets a hot, greasy load on to some soldiers. That is so not the same thing as defecating on them.

Yes, he is a Camaro. Yes, he plays Devo. But, he does not poop at all in the movie-he blows a warm, greasy load. (No, seriously, according to the script I read, he does this. I am being totally serious here. Bumblebee, well, bumble-skeets. :cry: )

On another note, a new Seaspray would be nice, but is unlikely.

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
But, he does not poop at all in the movie-he blows a warm, greasy load. (No, seriously, according to the script I read, he does this.

Thanks for the clarification. And I believe that is the Quote of the Day, sir.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 03:55 AM
Did I miss something, or were there no new Classics shown at ToyFair? :(No Classics, no TF:Heroes, no nuthin'. The movie was the only thing shown there, and all but 2 pieces were in a "no photography" room even though they've been splashed all over the internet long before Toy Fair (probably a contract issue with Paramount). Anyway, it's no surprise there are no Classics, Hasbro said there wouldn't be a 4th wave when the line started, at least not contiguously.

The Alt line is not dead, as the Jaguar Ravage and Honda Rumble are on their way so far as I know (though I don't recall seeing any images of them from ToyFair). However Ravage has been released in the UK.Both have been released in the UK, I believe, and they are the last to be released here whenever Hasbro gets around to it. The line is dead though, at least for foreseeable future of the next year.

I've got a couple Nemmy's I'm trying to get rid of. Thought I bought them for friends, turns out they didn't need them. If you're interested, PM me.Chaddy, think you can spare one for ol' JT?

Words fail me.

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=54&p2_articleid=1065

So, in the film, Bumblebee repeatedly poops on people to the outdated sounds of Devo?

Does Megatron pee on humans and say, "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Starscream? I pity the fool!"?Yeah, this thing seems really goofy, I'm not sure if it's Hasbro's fault or Bay's movie, and from the preview I read about online, I'm beginning to think it's Bay and the movie is goofier than expected (why Autobots would need to HIDE in ROBOT MODE in someone's back yard makes no sense).

So, I'm in the minority when I say that a Bumblebee who transforms into a Camaro, poops on people, and jams to Devo is more wrong than watching George H W Bush and Barbara making an adult movie?Well... I was with you until that part about George Sr naked with his George Washington-lookalike wife.

I must have missed them too. Not only that, I don't see any TF sites reporting the fate of Classics. I know the line was only intended to fill in until the movie line, but I thought someone would have at least asked the Hasbro booth about how Classics might continue later on (like a Universe subline or something). And yet, there are no such reports.At this time, it seems Hasbro has nothing to sell to retailers in that area, so no reason to bring it to Toy Fair. All their current efforts are focused on the horrible movie's products.

Y'know what I'd like to see?

Hasbro working with some major Japanese anime studio to produce a more grown-up version of Transformers, based on the Classics design (but working in some G1 and Alternators). Not in lieu of a kiddie cartoon, but in addition to it. Something for those of us who can't watch more than two minutes of any of the 'toons since Beast Wars without bashing our heads against a wall in frustration.The problem is it has to be aimed at young teen boys at the latest if they want it to survive, but shows aimed at older kids do terribly these days - the current state of cartoons is in the toilet for anything that tries to take its audience seriously, look at the revamped Masters of the Universe, or Justice League's demise (scheduling was the symptom, not the initial cause), and look what they did to Batman. They go where the money is, and the money is in toy tie-ins, and toy tie-ins only appeal to 8 year old boys now, so cartoons only are aimed at those boys. Hasbro could try to buck the trend by putting their faith in making a decent show that's more mature and serious in content, but unless it hits hard every episode will be operating at a loss.

Does anybody like SeaSpray around here?Yeah, Seaspray was pretty cool, I dig hovercrafts even though something with a rubber skirt doesn't lend itself to robots too well. They made a Basic-sized hovercraft in the Cybertron line, but he had long arms which were awkwardly jointed so I couldn't give him as high marks as I wanted to.

Tycho
02-17-2007, 04:03 AM
[Regarding Alts Ravage and Rumble]

Both have been released in the UK, I believe, and they are the last to be released here whenever Hasbro gets around to it. The line is dead though, at least for foreseeable future of the next year.

Some information that came my way on the message boards at TFW2005.com was that Feb. 28th is actually a US release date for Ravage and Rumble (and maybe other TF products). We'll see. But I'd rather have them, shut up about it already, and get off the web while I go transform them.

My most recent purchase was MPE Starscream over a couple months ago now, and I've told everyone that I fear he's too fragile to ever re-transform him. He might as well have been an 'unleashed statue' but I appreciate that he is a fascinating example of design work and engineering, in spite of a crappy example of materials choice. So in other words: he's not a toy.

I'd appreciate getting a couple Decepticons that I can play with.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Don't believe in release dates unless they're for exclusives. Hasbro doesn't generally try to control when retailers release product from their distribution warehouses because it makes the retailers unhappy.

What was my most recent Alt purchase? Mirage, and that was how long ago? July of last year. This line's been dead for 7 months.

Tycho
02-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I think I got Mirage last July myself. I don't remember for certain, but that sounds about right.

Dang it. I don't want much from Transformers, just certain characters that meet my standards:

Ravage
Rumble
Megatron
Blackout
Barricade
Brawl
Bonecrusher
Ironhide
Ratchet
BumbleBee
Skywarp
Thundercracker
Ramjet
Scrapper
Astrotrain

figrin bran
02-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I saw and bought one of the G1 Soundwave reissues at TRU today.

originally i was going to pass since i have G1 SW already but i don't have Laserbeak nor Ravage who are included with the reissue. i'll probably just keep this one MIB.

i also bought Classics Fireflight but haven't opened yet.

Ji'dai
02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I saw several G1 Soundwaves at TRU Friday as well. I was thinking the vintage version was bigger than this. Aren't these G1's the same scale of the original vintage toys?

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 09:21 PM
I saw several G1 Soundwaves at TRU Friday as well. I was thinking the vintage version was bigger than this. Aren't these G1's the same scale of the original vintage toys?
Yes, they're the same molds usually (not Soundwave though, that mold was damaged and this was made from an existing figure, but the difference in size is only marginal, maybe 2%).

A buddy sent me this link:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/imagehosting/3959045d9064067b58.jpg

Those are Legends figures, the $4 figures, but damn are they ugly! That Megatron is so yucky he looks as bad as the movie's Frenzy.

Tycho
02-19-2007, 12:16 AM
People that got Alternator Ravage in Britain and reviewed him on TFW2005 said he is awesome and gave him very high review marks.

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2440

"Beat me up, I beg of thee!"

El Chuxter
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Holy carp! Those bellbottoms rule!!

Here he is, all ready to be adopted as an avatar.

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
He's not even wearing shoes!!!

Tycho
02-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh cool. I've got to get me one of those costumes so I can wear it to Target and Wal-Mart when I ask the employees if they've stocked the toys.

There I'll be wearing my Optimus Prime costume with that Blaster-Cannon role play toy and sniffing a Mouse Droid! I'll make an unforgetable impression to say the least! :crazed: :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
02-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I found 6" Titanium Rodimus Prime and Soundwave at TRU yesterday, unfortunately they're underwhelming in different ways.

Rodimus Prime has a very plasticky head with a soft sculpt based loosely off the G1 cartoon version, but the figure's body is only similar in general deco (colors, flame pattern, and pipes on the forearms), this is a beefier and rounder build. It's not a bad-looking figure from the front, minus the underwhelming head, but his body is designed so the upper body sits way further out than the waist and it looks weird, he's much better looking with his body leaning back so his shoulders are nearly over his hips - this also hides his biggest flaw, that being his torso is empty behind the chest plate, it's like the design called for the front to slide backwards to meet the back and they just forgot to build that part. His backpack also bugs me in that the windshield part moves too easily. Articulation is alright, strong and a few extra points that have use like the lower arm and knee swivels and transformation joints letting the shoulder shrug, but his knees only bend 1 click back. The yellow used for the flames is a might gaudy here, it should have been the orangier tone on the helmet's crest. The rifle is a black and silver version of the G1 accessory, with a very long thin peg because he has thick forearms that'd get in the way of a normal-length peg.

Transformation is clever in theory but floppy and lacks finesse, with the end result being underwhelming (there's that word again). Vehicle mode is like a fat little take on the G1 version. The gun can store on the underside of the rear section in a clever way. One of the problems is that the front half doesn't align very cleanly, everything feels a tiny bit out of whack even when it's not loose. The chest makes up the front end and it's hollow from the side in an unpleasant way, and doesn't align with the windshield quite right. Overall, I don't hate it, but it could have been better in so many areas. Grade: C

Soundwave is a pretty short figure in the line at just 5.5", he'd be taller if his legs held in their telescoped positions better, but then his arms would be too short. He's a lot of die-cast though with the big lower legs, forearms, and main torso all metal. His body takes a lot of visual cues from the G1 figure but isn't as wide and flat, however he's also stockier and it does sorta balance that out. The head is like a slightly-stylized version of the G1 toy, it lacks the nose and the gold visor is just an angled slit now. The figure's hips slide up naturally and this looks better than if they had stayed down, the diaper-effect isn't as bad in person but the crotch does extend too far. It seems like the waist piece decending was supposed to slide up and they just left that feature out. Colors are solid with dark blue, silver, red, even the gold and clear purple chest. The dark blue eats some of the sculpted details, and there's a black line on the middle of the inner lower leg that's totally lost against dark blue. The external tape-box chest works better than it deserves really. His weapons are nifty, black and silver batteries, one plugs into his shoulder and has the multi-rocket look of the original, the other is a handgun and the barrel slides out from inside, each weapon has a plus and minus sign like a battery would, and they can be stowed on his back. In bot mode, Laserbeak is black with red, a very simplified version of the original without its accessories, the head and wings are movable, and the claws can hold onto tabs on either of Soundwave's shoulders.

Transformation is simple but I think it's just enough to be pleasing. The arms and legs telescope in, the arms and head fold back and then the waist splits to become the speakers. The alt mode is really small and compact, heavy and mainly solid. It translates a little better than I was expecting, but still not that good with the arms doing a poor job acting as the battery hatch (no battery door really hurts this). There are a few tape deck details like the volume wheel and controls, but it's not as much as the original. Again the external tape hatch gets away with itself better than it should. Blue dominates this mode way more than the G1 toy. Laserbeak becomes a black with red lines rectangle, there's no pretense of cassette here, but he does fit in Soundwave's chest box.

Soundwave's disappointments are found in kibble around the fists meant to hide them in alt mode but they do a poor job there and are just ugly, they wouldn't be so annoying if they actually did their job better though. Then there's the lower torso/waist/crotch visual situation. But the biggest failures are largely in the legs: the hips are badly designed so they pop out often and droop, the knees can only be straight or bent around 75 degrees and nothing in between, the middle of the legs telescope in way too easily, and the separate feet don't hold the figure up too well.

Still, Soundwave has character and gets away with far more than he deserves in that alone. Even still, I can't give him anything over a "C". Grade: C

figrin bran
02-23-2007, 09:56 PM
wow, that's pretty generous of a grade for Titanium Soundwave, JT

i'm thinking more of a C-/D no thanks to the easily telescoped legs and huge lower groin area.

A "C" for Rodimus sounds about right...what really brings the figure down in my opinion is all the hollow space behind the chest. from the side, it's just ghastly and from the front, it causes the backpack fins to be too far from the head.

Tycho
02-25-2007, 07:48 PM
The latest word is that Hasbro is going to import MPE 05 Megatron from Takara and make sure that orange tips or any other recoloring is done at the factory.

So I want to list something again (is this indicative that I might have slight autism?)

MPE 01 - Hasbro brings Prime in for mass-market retail.
MPE 02 - Hasbro does not bother with Takaras repaint that calls it Ultra Magnus
MPE 03 - Hasbro doesn't deal with weak plasitic and materials issues with Starscream
MPE 04 - Takara ops for a Prime re-release with trailer, Hasbro goes for talking base
MPE 05 - It would appear that Hasbro is importing and recoloring Megatron.

MPE 06 - rumors are still out there that the line will continue and this will be Grimlock

DarkArtist
02-26-2007, 08:31 AM
picked up the TRU exclusive Soundwave as well as the Titanium version as well. The TRU version brings back memories of haveing go old Soundwave and Optimus battling it out for control of the universe. wasn't a big fan of the Megatron toy since it looked horrible in robot mode so Soundwave became to new baddie to defeat. I remember having Soundwave with all the cassettes transformed and Optimus leading a army with all the Autobot cassettes.

JediTricks
02-26-2007, 03:01 PM
This is the first movie toy review/photo set I've seen that have made me interested in the toys. It's Voyager-size Ironhide and it's got a neo-RID quality, if only it didn't have that fugly head. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=124782

The other toys so far haven't excited me much, but this looks more promising. Transformation looks as busy as an Alternator. I feel almost dirty for even considering it though.

wow, that's pretty generous of a grade for Titanium Soundwave, JT

i'm thinking more of a C-/D no thanks to the easily telescoped legs and huge lower groin area. I can see that, in terms of pure functionality it does weaken the score, but his consistent look I feel brings it back to life. If he had a weaker sculpt and crazier colors, I would have given him a "D" for sure, but I think his look holds up for the character and his accessories sweeten the pot.

A "C" for Rodimus sounds about right...what really brings the figure down in my opinion is all the hollow space behind the chest. from the side, it's just ghastly and from the front, it causes the backpack fins to be too far from the head.Yeah, it really is problematic. That, the not-totally-fit alt mode, and the soft head sculpt I feel doom it to mediocrity. However, the chest thing does look considerably better if you lean him back at the waist slightly (bend the knees too), once the shoulders are closer to parallel with the hips it makes him look like he's got a real chest and the empty stuff is just backpack.

The news on MP-05 Megatron is mixed, supposedly this is being done so Hasbro can import them, but it may never happen. However, with the plug it *should* lower the import cost slightly. If I can get it for $90 or less out of pocket, I probably will.

DA, glad to hear you got and dig G1 Soundwave reissue. How many stickers do you have to apply on the set?

Tycho
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
The news on MP-05 Megatron is mixed, supposedly this is being done so Hasbro can import them, but it may never happen. However, with the plug it *should* lower the import cost slightly. If I can get it for $90 or less out of pocket, I probably will.

Haha. The thread on MP-05 Megatron over at TFW2005 got closed - too many "terrorists" posting about how they plan to circumnavigate US gun laws while using foul language and plotting other criminal activities.

Note to JediTricks: the infamous Tycho had nothing to do with this one. (I behave myself on [most] other sites)

Honestly, the photo or Photoshop job they had in their thread of Megatron with orange tips on his barrel and sighting scope really didn't look that bad. We've yet to see an official packaged product picture (unaltered), but there was still fear of Hasbro painting him green and purple! (I'd say it's within the realm of realistic possibilities).

So the rumor is, the Hasbro version will show up in US retail stores like TRU and Wal-Mart. I guess we'll see.

JediTricks
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
If you want to break the law, the orange plug is the best for you because you can just drill it back out. With the paint you'd have to repaint it (or be damn good at stripping paint).

Phantom-like Menace
03-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I got G1 Soundwave today, and it hasn't been since I got my '85 Snake Eyes a couple years ago that I feel so much like a kid again.

I didn't have a lot of money growing up, so the only time I saw Soundwave in person was on a playground at school, so I wasn't too familiar with anything other than what he looked like. I'd always been vaguely curious where the giant cylinders came from, what they were, and where they stored in his cassette deck mode, but I've never stopped to think about it. They're batteries! And you can actually place them inside him! Nice! It's always nice to have Ravage and Laserbeak, too. It looks like a lot of thought went into that toy.

I'll have to put him on the shelf with Prime and the recent keychains of G1 Bumblebee and friends, but right now he's at work with me (first chance I've had to open him), dealing with hotel guests and the storm.

Dominic Guglieme
03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Two things:

No more Alternators.
http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/sightings.html

(I can hear Tycho sobbing now.)

As for Soundwave, Phan, you got a better toy now than you would have as a kid, so do not waste time mourning the past.

Your Soundwave can hold 2 tapes. The original Soundwave could only hold one. (The toy we are seeing now is based on a later Japanese recolor that was modified to hold multiple tapes.)

I have been meaning to get one, but I do not live near a TrU anymore, so........

My only real gripe with the re-issue is not so much about Soundwave, but 2a few toys that will likely not get made.

For whatever reason, Hasbro seems reluctant to use the Frenzy/Rumble molds. So, between that, and the fact Hasbro is unlikely to ever release a new Buzzsaw, we are unlikely to ever get all of Soundwave's original tapes. (Granted, you could hunt for good copies of old toys, but I would rather buy them new.)

And, never mind the prospects of gettng later tapes.

Tycho
03-02-2007, 03:01 PM
The report is speculative Dominic.

Ravage and Rumble might appear in stores sooner than later. If I can't get them for 2 more YEARS, I'll go to eBay and since no one will be looking for them then, they might not cost a fortune.

However, I think it is more likely that HasbroToyShop will deal with them if they need to (that is - if Wal-Mart / Target / Toys R Us doesn't)

Meanwhile, Alts they could do with some popularity after the movie include:

2007 Camarro (BumbleBee)
2007 Mustang (Barricade)
2007 Hummer (Ratchet)
2007 GMC Truck (Ironhide)

My Meister figure suffices for Jazz... (I call him Jazz anyway)

Phantom-like Menace
03-02-2007, 11:22 PM
As for Soundwave, Phan, you got a better toy now than you would have as a kid, so do not waste time mourning the past.

Your Soundwave can hold 2 tapes. The original Soundwave could only hold one. (The toy we are seeing now is based on a later Japanese recolor that was modified to hold multiple tapes.)

Oh, no complaints whatsoever! I love this toy. In a lot of ways he's even cooler than the G1 Prime I got. Like I said, you can tell a lot of thought went into this toy.

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 04:53 AM
Two things:

No more Alternators.
http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/sightings.html (http://www.eyrie.org/%7Edvandom/BW/sightings.html)

(I can hear Tycho sobbing now.) Ouch! Dang, that's 3 ****ing Alternators releases in a row that got shortchanged (Nemesis Prime and now these 2). To be honest, these aren't a great loss to me, I was curious about Rumble but I'm not mourning a loss there, both figures looked pretty bad.

Your Soundwave can hold 2 tapes. The original Soundwave could only hold one. (The toy we are seeing now is based on a later Japanese recolor that was modified to hold multiple tapes.) I disagree, the 2 tapes thing is acceptable but they had to deepen the cassette slot to accomodate it so it no longer sits flush when closed - I loved that feature. Still, I'll take Soundwave any way I can get him, I never owned the original and always admired it. I wish Hasbro had released ALL the cassette molds though.

My only real gripe with the re-issue is not so much about Soundwave, but 2a few toys that will likely not get made.

For whatever reason, Hasbro seems reluctant to use the Frenzy/Rumble molds. So, between that, and the fact Hasbro is unlikely to ever release a new Buzzsaw, we are unlikely to ever get all of Soundwave's original tapes. (Granted, you could hunt for good copies of old toys, but I would rather buy them new.)

And, never mind the prospects of gettng later tapes.Yeah, Frenzy/Rumble and the later tapes really would have been an awesome release, I mourn their absence more than I do those canceled alternators.

Tycho, DvD there is pretty conservative about what kinds of news he posts, if he says they're solid rumors then you can be confident it's accurate. And he's not speculating, he's reporting somewhat reliable rumors, it's different.

HasbroToyShop totally tanked the Nemesis Prime thing, so I am no longer counting on their stupid arses for my TF needs.

Alts are deader than dead, what a shock - they didn't even sell that well.

Tycho
03-03-2007, 05:51 AM
[Re: Alts Rumble & Ravage] both figures looked pretty bad.

No they didn't!

Tycho, DvD there is pretty conservative about what kinds of news he posts, if he says they're solid rumors then you can be confident it's accurate. And he's not speculating, he's reporting somewhat reliable rumors, it's different.

Well I hope he's wrong this time!

HasbroToyShop totally tanked the Nemesis Prime thing, so I am no longer counting on their stupid arses for my TF needs.

Maybe they learned some lessons?

Alts are deader than dead, what a shock - they didn't even sell that well.

Then unless there are some other good MPEs coming out in the future, I have NO Transformers I'll need to buy. The sad thing is that I'll miss that.

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 02:34 PM
No they didn't!Yeah, they do.

Maybe they learned some lessons? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Doubtful.

Then unless there are some other good MPEs coming out in the future, I have NO Transformers I'll need to buy. The sad thing is that I'll miss that.Either find something you like or move on, I guess. For me, I'll probably pick up a few movie toys depending on what I like but for now I fear my only TF collecting will be Titanium 6".

Tycho
03-03-2007, 04:34 PM
JT:

Blackout looks awesome - he's just not decently sized for my personal Transformers collection.

There's one Optimus Prime I really like - it might not be the Leader Class, I'm not sure though.

Jazz looks tolerable.

Ratchet looks amazing!

Ironhide - well if you pull his head off and do a custom job from the neck up - he'd be pretty cool (just leave those guns OFF in truck form)

Megatron's leader mode might not seem like Megatron, but it's a cool looking toy. But for me - the wrong size as well because I want something comparable to the MPE Prime in that style if I'm going to bother.

JediTricks
03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't see how anybody viewing that Megatron toy can think it looks like a cool Transformers toy.

Adam
03-05-2007, 12:18 AM
The voyager ( I think ) Ironhide and one or two deluxes are the only ones I have remotely liked so far. In some cases, the designs for the heads are so horrible or weird that it kills the entire figure for me. I guess I get to save some money this summer, huzzah!

figrin bran
03-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Alts Ravage and Rumble do indeed look bad! better than the movie toys but that's not saying much now is it?

i thought i might get the 6" titanium Ultra Magnus but after seeing pics, it just doesn't look that great.

JediTricks
03-05-2007, 03:52 PM
The voyager ( I think ) Ironhide and one or two deluxes are the only ones I have remotely liked so far. In some cases, the designs for the heads are so horrible or weird that it kills the entire figure for me. I guess I get to save some money this summer, huzzah!
Pretty much the same for me, but it saddens me to think how Transformers are going to fall off my radar.

Tycho
03-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Here's the real kicker: there will be a whole new generation of kiddies into the Transformers that will think these strange guys that result from bad plastic surgery are cool.

El Chuxter
03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I will not be seeing this film, as there are no purple Transformers.

If El Chuxter is still alive at the time of release, I may hasten his demise by taping his eyelids open and forcing him to watch it while sitting in the purple chair (http://www.alen-clothes.co.uk/furniture/purplebugsofanew.gif).

THIS I COMMAND!!

JediTricks
03-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Here's the real kicker: there will be a whole new generation of kiddies into the Transformers that will think these strange guys that result from bad plastic surgery are cool.
Doubtful I think, the movie's tone is far darker than parents are willing to let kids go to, I suspect, and the on-screen visualizations lack the visual punch that will entice the young'ns. I suspect Hasbro knows this too which is why they're going a totally different visual concept direction with the next TF cartoon, TransFormers: Heroes (supposedly it'll be a simplified neo-pseudo-anime look).

Tycho
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey all you DOUBTERS, TFW2005 is reporting that Rumble and Ravage Alternators are coming in stock and shipping from Action Headquarters (an e-tailer?) and showing up in England, Germany, and other foreign nations.

I think it might be only time until we see a USA release to Wal-Mart / Target / Toys R Us. I'll check AH's prices and shipping, but I think I'll wait. If I'm going to ever overpay for these, I'll do it on eBay some months later. I won't jump the gun only to see these at my local retailers after I've paid $10-20 extra in shipping.

So anyway: "So There!" :P

figrin bran
03-05-2007, 09:50 PM

No. In the same way that many of us viewed Go Bots as lesser versions of TF's, the kids will see the movie TF's as lesser versions of Bionicles.

JediTricks
03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey all you DOUBTERS, TFW2005 is reporting that Rumble and Ravage Alternators are coming in stock and shipping from Action Headquarters (an e-tailer?) and showing up in England, Germany, and other foreign nations.That'd be consistent with what DvD said about them being foreign-released, and not at all consistent with a US release schedule.

I think it might be only time until we see a USA release to Wal-Mart / Target / Toys R Us. I'll check AH's prices and shipping, but I think I'll wait. If I'm going to ever overpay for these, I'll do it on eBay some months later. I won't jump the gun only to see these at my local retailers after I've paid $10-20 extra in shipping.

So anyway: "So There!" :PYes, you sure showed us... that you are once again talking out your ear. While these MAY see a limited US release some time down the road, I'm more confident than ever that they won't see a mass-retail release here, at best an exclusive through a store or even perhaps HasbroToyShop.

No. In the same way that many of us viewed Go Bots as lesser versions of TF's, the kids will see the movie TF's as lesser versions of Bionicles.Heh heh, awesome!

Tycho
03-07-2007, 08:37 PM
So JediTricks, pretending you wanted them, would you buy Rumble and Ravage now from an overseas vendor?

JediTricks
03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Not unless they were under $20 total each. What I'm saying is I don't think either is worth retail and wouldn't pay MORE than retail (and no more than $5 shipping) for them.

Adam
03-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Pretty much the same for me, but it saddens me to think how Transformers are going to fall off my radar.

I await toys from the new cartoon, which I hear will be more uh, traditional?

Chaddymac
03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I await toys from the new cartoon, which I hear will be more uh, traditional?
Me too. I have to say, though, I'm more than a little depressed that Classics is over already. That was the first line where every figure brought joy. Okay, aside from the megs/prime 2-pack. But at least they were new molds.

JediTricks
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I await toys from the new cartoon, which I hear will be more uh, traditional?I fear they're going to go ultra-simplistic to match the show art, but better than crazy bionicle piecey guys with no faces.

figrin bran
03-08-2007, 09:33 PM
those Skywarp/UM 2 packs are sure warming the shelves at every target i go to.

does anyone know if Classics Megs will still ship in future assortments? the current voyager class seems to be only Jetfires and Primes. i passed on it many, many times but since it's the only Classics figure (not counting mini cons and legends) that i don't have, i might consider getting it if still available.

El Chuxter
03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
If you want to clear the shelf space by buying up all the "Battle for Autobot City" sets, throwing away the stupid white Transformer, and sending me all the Skywarp figures for free, I am certain that I can find a home for them in my PURPLE ARMADA!!

Tremble in fear, Batman. Tremble in fear.

THIS I COMMAND!!

Tycho
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
I finally saw a Classics Jetfire in the store (Target no less) and I have to admit, he looked really cool!

Adam
03-09-2007, 12:08 AM
those Skywarp/UM 2 packs are sure warming the shelves at every target i go to.

does anyone know if Classics Megs will still ship in future assortments? the current voyager class seems to be only Jetfires and Primes. i passed on it many, many times but since it's the only Classics figure (not counting mini cons and legends) that i don't have, i might consider getting it if still available.

Might not be the case - they sell at my store we just keep getting them in.

Adam
03-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I fear they're going to go ultra-simplistic to match the show art, but better than crazy bionicle piecey guys with no faces.

What show art?

Chaddymac
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
What show art?
What he said...

JediTricks
03-09-2007, 02:40 PM
does anyone know if Classics Megs will still ship in future assortments? the current voyager class seems to be only Jetfires and Primes. i passed on it many, many times but since it's the only Classics figure (not counting mini cons and legends) that i don't have, i might consider getting it if still available.Wave 2 Revision 1 seems to be the last version of the assortment, and it's just 2 Optimus and 2 Jetfires - the original version of this wave actually did have Megs but they went 1 Jetfire and 1 Megs with 2 Optimus since Megs was slowing down. I'm still seeing Megs around though occasionally, I could stash if you like. And they have him at Frys if nothing else.

What show art?The art from the show, the show that we haven't seen yet and have had only been given vague descriptions of so far. I wasn't saying we had seen art, only that the toys would be based on the show's aesthetic. Sorry for the confusion.

Tycho
03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
There's been a Megatron (classic green / purple gun) sitting at my Sears for over a week I think. I don't know the price, I didn't look. Do you want me to check Figrin? I can walk to that Sears, it's right across the steet, then ship Megatron or meet up with you in Orange County on March 14th. I'm seeing the family accountant that day and I assume it's halfway for both of us (we could meet earlier or later - preferably later) and grab some chow. It would save you shipping cost (box and postage) but might work out the same with gas these days... (yours, don't worry about mine except that I'm not planning to drive in Los Angeles and I get too tired to extend my northbound trip and make it safe for me. I nap frequently throughout the day (just woke up again a little after 2pm here) and there's nothing like taxes to put you to sleep anyway.

figrin bran
03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
There's been a Megatron (classic green / purple gun) sitting at my Sears for over a week I think. I don't know the price, I didn't look. Do you want me to check Figrin? I can walk to that Sears, it's right across the steet, then ship Megatron or meet up with you in Orange County on March 14th. I'm seeing the family accountant that day and I assume it's halfway for both of us (we could meet earlier or later - preferably later) and grab some chow. It would save you shipping cost (box and postage) but might work out the same with gas these days... (yours, don't worry about mine except that I'm not planning to drive in Los Angeles and I get too tired to extend my northbound trip and make it safe for me. I nap frequently throughout the day (just woke up again a little after 2pm here) and there's nothing like taxes to put you to sleep anyway.

it's okay Tycho but thanks for offering! i'm sure i can get them at Fry's at the very least. it's just down the street from Burbank Target so it's no problem at all to go there. plus i'm still not entirely sure if i want it.

Tycho
03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
OK. Yeah, I don't buy the Classics but I admire them - especially Rodimus and Jetfire, maybe Starscream. So I'm curious to see them all loose and rethink purchasing them myself (though I think I have enough self restraint to resist).

But the Classics are lightyears better than most Cybertron or Armada stuff I've seen. So I'm naturally curious.

JediTricks
03-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Megs is worth getting, he's a nifty figure and a return to his gun roots.

Tycho
03-14-2007, 10:53 AM
AFHQ has Alternator Rumble in stock. They're charging $34 USA plus s&h.

I'm going to wait and see if there will be a US retailer release yet. I mean I paid $97.12 for MPE Starscream from Japan (semi-good buy I think - anyway I don't regret it) - but if I pay out too much for Rumble and Ravage only to see them in retail stores later, I'll have overspent by at least $30 between the pair of them, not including s&h and that doesn't thrill me.

So in 2009 (yes 2009) I'll turn to eBay if I don't have them by then. ('07 might be a Transformer 'surge' due to the movie if it does well, and if the Alts haven't seen US release in '07, I think they'd bring those two out in '08 because they've already done the tooling for them.)

If the movie does really well, I still think they could run with Alts for BumbleBee, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, and Barricade.

Did I mention that I like Alts?

JediTricks
03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Good luck with that.

So anyway, Chaddymac was kind enough to sell me a sealed Alternators Nemesis Prime and I picked it up from my mail place yesterday.

First off, let me say that I don't have any issues with Nemesis Prime's existence as a character in general, although I do like the "Scourge" name for him better - I know a lot of transfans think he sucks the big one, but an evil mirror of Optimus Prime seems like a fine and gratefully-flawed villain. I also had planned to not get the Alternators Optimus at all because I didn't think he looked right and I already had 20th Prime with my Alts, instead I had intentionally planned on getting Nemmy here all along as the colors looked better and he'd make an adequate interim leader for my Alt Decepticons - then Hasbro went and screwed that all to hell. Thankfully, Chaddy was good enough to help me out months after my hopes had failed.

That said, this is among the weakest molds in the line, the design just doesn't hold up to any scrutiny that the Alternators line should demand, and I think it was wise of Hasbro to pull the plug on the Alt line at this point, they've sadly lost the touch to do 'em right. I did wait an extra day and messed with the figure some more before making my final decision on him, but it only helped slightly. Then again, I am very glad I have NemPrime here as he's my 5th Decepticon entry, he's a leader, and I'd much rather have him than a doofus without arms or a catbot.

Nem Prime's alt mode is decent to look at, I've always liked these modern Ram trucks since they came out in '93, and I do like the opening tailgate feature, fold-down middle seat with cup-holder detailing, and the sporty lines and red windshield that tie him to strongly to Dead End (also black with red windshield, and also using the Viper engine - because he's a Viper); I would have liked to see the silver sport stripe down the middle though. Other design elements I like include the spoiler (silly though it may be), clear lens headlights and taillights, painted lettering, California license plate, and exposed disk brakes. Elements that I'm not so thrilled with are the gappy cab floor, right door coming off its post, low-opening hood, front steering that's measured in a few scant millimeters (there would have been more if the sliders' gap in the walls had been able to accomodate the tabs that connect the bar to the wheels, I may do a fix on this), mild stability issues, and empty front to the engine (this is a great offense for this set, a big ol' gap instead of a motor or at least facade).

Transformation is a big ol' pile of frustration due to the unwillingness of the legs to telescope down slightly and the shoulders to pop out so they can fold back (the instructions are especially confusing on this one). And there are too many areas where parts just stop moving without locking down or making sense, such as the shoulders, core chest, shoulder armor, and waist plate. Plus, the heels being supported by the spoiler feel like the spoiler will break over this piece of questionable engineering - long tab, thin hinge. The only thing I felt was really clever was the way the front wheel areas slid together. Once I transformed him back to alt mode and failed miserably at first, I was able to figure out what was going on everywhere and finally get a handle on what needs to do what and where and when in both modes, but it took a lot of swearing first.

Bot mode is a mixed bag, on the one hand he is dark and big and looks tough; on the other hand he's covered in kibble to the point of shame, his chest is gappy from some angles, his articulation is less useful than most Alts, and he looks even simpler than he actually is. I love his gun, but he holds it a little high, and it's a tad small for him. The arms have side-kibble that at least is a blaster muzzle (they already had 2 sculpted-in muzzles so he's heavily armed) but then also sport a folded-up seat underneath which is embarrassing. The waist armor plate is a source of misery both in its existence and in the exposed screws, the figure looks better in many ways if the grille is left in its alt mode position, but this makes the hood not lie flat on the chest. The sides of the truck bed are just left out there like a Spychanger - that'd be ok for a $2 figure, not a $20 one. I like how the back window folds under the front one and holds fairly close to the back, but it's still kibble and this line's never figured out how to deal with this problem any better than that. The doors once again end up as kibble-wings, I think this looks better for a villain since it has "cape" factor that good guys don't get to wear, but at the same time this is another area that the designers always drop the ball with on these guys. The shoulder kibble stands straight up and the bumper halves don't fill in jack squat unfortunately, they even look better rotated all the way around so they sorta line up with the doors - at the least, they should have slid sideways to cover the inside of the front fenders.

Articulation is standard neck (it's a ball-joint but not cut to look up or down), standard shoulders, side-hinging shoulders, double-jointed elbows, limited-range ball-jointed wrists, standard hinged 3&1 fingers, standard waist, universal-jointed hips, high standard knees, and ball-jointed boot-fronts; there's also a transformation joint on the shoulders that helps with some arm poses, but it leaves the chest gappy.

Despite all the negatives here, I do like some of the ideas presented here and feel that if they had a few more passes at it to get the shoulders and legs right, add more arm articulation, and find better uses for all that kibble, this mold as Nemesis Prime would have been a winner. If nothing else though, I finally feel like I have a leader for my Alt 'Cons (sorry Shockblast, but you've gotta have 2 hands and/or a face to lead in my book) and that's a big deal in my collection. Grade: C

Tycho
03-17-2007, 03:00 PM
[To Alternator-Obsessed Tycho] Good luck with that.

Rumble and Ravage at Wal-Mart! (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=126659)

Hahaha. I'm so awesome! :D Yeah, did I mention that I was awesome?

Life is good!

Now if Michael Bay doesn't RUIN my life, Alternators will be returning in 2008 or so with BumbleBee (2007 Camarro), Ratchet (2007 Hummer), Ironhide (2007 GMC Truck), Jazz (2007 Pontiac Solstice), and Barricade (2007 Ford Mustang).

Possible Has-broke repaints could be: Cliffjumper (Camarro), Megatron or Red Alert, or Inferno, or Trailbreaker (Hummer), Trailbreaker or a revisioning of Beachcomber (GMC Truck), Blurr (Solstice), and I think Barricade should just be a repaint of Wheeljack / Grimlock.

I am such a genius. I am so awesome.

figrin bran
03-17-2007, 09:25 PM
yes, but it says that they're WM exclusives which means you may never see them at all :p

Tycho
03-17-2007, 11:50 PM
yes, but it says that they're WM exclusives which means you may never see them at all :p

I have it where the folks who actually stock the toys overnight will phone me at gosh-knows-what-hour-in-the-morning to come pick the stuff on my list up - right when they unpack it. This worked for Saga Waves 8,9, 10 - and Sears pulled a case of TAC for me. The only things left for Wal-Mart to look out for me are these Alts and the Snowtrooper Galactic Heroes set (I have the TAC wave 1 stuff and haven't bothered requesting wave 2, as I don't want much from it and am confident I can get that easily enough).

Now there isn't requests for $20 Alts like there are for $7 SW figures or (I imagine) $0.90 Hot Wheels. I'm sure I'll do fine with Rumble and Ravage.

figrin bran
03-18-2007, 11:43 PM
bad news...Sony Wonder, the division of Sony Entertainment that brought us the 20th anniversary of the TF movie is closing its doors which means that those of us hoping for G1 cartoon reissues are left out in the cold.

Dominic Guglieme
03-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Good luck with that.

First off, let me say that I don't have any issues with Nemesis Prime's existence as a character in general, although I do like the "Scourge" name for him better - I know a lot of transfans think he sucks the big one, but an evil mirror of Optimus Prime seems like a fine and gratefully-flawed villain. I also had planned to not get the Alternators Optimus at all because I didn't think he looked right and I already had 20th Prime with my Alts, instead I had intentionally planned on getting Nemmy here all along as the colors looked better and he'd make an adequate interim leader for my Alt Decepticons - then Hasbro went and screwed that all to hell. Thankfully, Chaddy was good enough to help me out months after my hopes had failed.

The Scourge/Nemesis Prime difference lies in the origin of the character.

"Scourge" simply means a fallen Prime, the "flawed" character that JT says he likes the idea of. RiD and Cybertron have examples of theis.

"Nemesis Prime" implies some kind of unnatural, (usually Unicron based) origin. So, yea, Nemesis Prime dumbs up Alternators a bit more, by virtue of bringing Unicron into the mix, and ruining the *one* virtue the line could easily and indisputably claim over the rest of the franchise.

JediTricks
03-19-2007, 08:55 PM
I'll believe Rumble/Ravage as WM exclusives when we see it, at this point I'll take it as more rumor, but WM is very anti-Alternators so I cannot see why they'd take 2 exclusives for a line they detest and try not to carry. Plus, WM is notorious for having items on their inventory that never even make it out of design phase. But I have the luxury of not giving a crap either way whether those 2 weak figures come out.

The Scourge/Nemesis Prime difference lies in the origin of the character.

"Scourge" simply means a fallen Prime, the "flawed" character that JT says he likes the idea of. RiD and Cybertron have examples of theis.

"Nemesis Prime" implies some kind of unnatural, (usually Unicron based) origin. So, yea, Nemesis Prime dumbs up Alternators a bit more, by virtue of bringing Unicron into the mix, and ruining the *one* virtue the line could easily and indisputably claim over the rest of the franchise.Dude, only hardcore transfans, the hardliners, would let a non-core name make such a difference. It's like saying Scourge is a problem because of his BW entry being so different, or Prowl going from a car to a lion to an owl. Alternators has no connection to ACE to begin with, it has no backstory, no characters, no canon to cross-connect it to the Unicron origin. It's only folks who cannot let other elements of TF be separate that have issues with this stuff.

Adam
03-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Finally got around to picking up the Magnus/Skywarp two pack on clearance at Target, now only Ramjet is left and I will done with TF ( except for a few movie toys ) for quite awhile.

Adam
03-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Pardon if this has been discussed, but its in my head so I thought I'd post about it.

So we know that this years botcon exclusives with be Classics based. This is terrible, because I will probably want to buy them! Last years Pre-BW set was nifty, but not something I felt I needed. So I was thinking of some likely candidates. The most obvious is the three remaining seekers. I would be shocked if they were not in the set, people want these 3, theres no doubt. Bumblebee/Cliffjumper could make an acceptable Skids, with a head remold this time of course :P. ( and a weapon ) Give Rodimus a Tracks head. Throw in a remolded/repainted tank Megs as Warpath and I'd be sold. As for the con-exclusive, repainted Starscream as Sunstorm would do well, since I can't go to the con and wouldn't mind missing that one. :D

Tycho
03-25-2007, 01:09 AM
This will be random, but didn't the later years add two dinosaurs to Soundwave's cassette tape arsenol? I'm remembering having a white and blue T-rex and a green and purple stegasraurus. I'm pretty sure.

What were their names? Were they ever in the cartoons?

Tycho
03-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Alternators Ravage and Rumble came in! There were at least 3 of each car (6 cars total) to a case and probably 4 cases of them to be made into an endcap at Wal-Mart this morning at 4am - my connection there phoned me or else I'd be sleeping! They look very nice - especially Ravage, though I haven't opened either of them yet - I want some more sleep!

I may post my review over at ActionFigs.com to help Steve boost the reconstruction in the forums over there, but if I do, I'll link to it. Now I just wanna sleep before it's time to go to Target.

This weekend, the life of a toy collector isn't easy. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
This will be random, but didn't the later years add two dinosaurs to Soundwave's cassette tape arsenol? I'm remembering having a white and blue T-rex and a green and purple stegasraurus. I'm pretty sure.

What were their names? Were they ever in the cartoons?

They were Overkill (an especially violent T-rex, only he had a nose horn, so he should've properly been called a Ceratosaurus) and Slugfest (a majorly mentally deficient Stegosaurus who wasn't smart enough to do much more than shoot at anything that moves). I think they may have briefly appeared in the final season. Not sure, though.

Soundwave added two more cassettes later, a bird named Squawktalk and a gorilla named Beatbox. They combined into a robot named Squawkbox. I never had them, but they looked cheap, and the Autobot equivalent (Grand Slam + Raindance = Slamdance) was quite cheapo.

Yeah, they'd hit bottom in the name barrel by that point.

Tycho
03-25-2007, 01:07 PM
No one is participating with me in this thread over at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135#post135) but if you re-register (Steve had a major forums malfunction over there last week), you could add your 2 cents worth and support the site. However, not to have my voice fall on no ears at all, I copied and pasted my comments from the other site below:

Well Ravage is very sturdy and has some cool aspects to his transformation.

His wheels do not turn in car mode, and other than Hound, he is the only Alternator to not feature that linked sterring yoke.

In beast mode, he is pretty stiff and not too poseable. This is slightly disappointing as Alternators in the past have been very articulate. But how articulated does Ravage need to be? Overall he is the better Decepticon of the two new ones and he's well worth having!

Rumble is rather fragile, light cheap plastic. I don't care for Honda Civics to begin with, so there's not much to say about his vehicle mode, except this to Honda: design better looking cars! But that's not Hasbro's fault. Still they could have chosen a different vehicle to be Rumble after all.

His "working" pile drivers are this: spring-loaded (non-firing) missles basically. There's a very-hard-to-find (VHTF) switch on either arm that pops out the pile driver from one of the read halves of the car. If it hit an Autobot Alternator, I'm sure it would knock it down. But it doesn't pulsate back and forth, it just pops out once and then you have to reset it.

Rumble is also not too poseable. Under his hood and in his truck are his "back cannons" that were characteristic of his G1 look. You have to figure out how to move the tiny clips out of the folding out cannons in order to attach them onto his windshield behind his back. The instructions don't adequately explain this of course.

Rumble is maroon in color, which harkens back to G1 TOYS, whereas the G1 cartoon confused him and Frenzy (Soundwave's other human-form cassette tape warrior) and made the blue one the character of Rumble, and the maroon one, Frenzy. Well, everyone's concerned that Alternators will be ended altogether or put on hiatus as Hasbro focuses on the movie toys. Just the same, a blue one of these called "Frenzy" whom you can pretend is Rumble, (save for the fact that the license plate on the maroon one says Rumble) won't make much difference in the quality here.

For Star Wars collectors, I liken Rumble to the BattleDroid figure: you should buy him and need him to build up your opposition army, but you can certainly imagine better quality.

One other thing: Rumble has blue "Autobot" eyes, whereas Decepticons are supposed to have red eyes. Who'd they consult for these figures? Michael Bay?

JediTricks
03-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I read about them hitting WM, but didn't have a chance to report it back here. I hit WM yesterday but nada, seeing that review, I'll probably get Rumble and hate it, and no chance in hell now of me getting Cat Ravage.

Pardon if this has been discussed, but its in my head so I thought I'd post about it.

So we know that this years botcon exclusives with be Classics based. This is terrible, because I will probably want to buy them! Last years Pre-BW set was nifty, but not something I felt I needed. So I was thinking of some likely candidates. The most obvious is the three remaining seekers. I would be shocked if they were not in the set, people want these 3, theres no doubt. Bumblebee/Cliffjumper could make an acceptable Skids, with a head remold this time of course :P. ( and a weapon ) Give Rodimus a Tracks head. Throw in a remolded/repainted tank Megs as Warpath and I'd be sold. As for the con-exclusive, repainted Starscream as Sunstorm would do well, since I can't go to the con and wouldn't mind missing that one. :DI hadn't heard about that, it did indeed make me a little nervous to think there'd be exclusive entries in the line. I had just been toying with a different idea though, what if they integrated basic figures from the last 2 lines into the botcon Classics-based set?
- CY Clocker as Blurr
- CY Armorhide as Huffer
- CY Scrapmetal as Frenzy and/or Rumble
- CY Shortround as Seaspray
- CY Hardtop as Beachcomber
- EN Battle Ravage into... Ravage
- EN Divebomb into Laserbeak and/or Buzzsaw
- EN Strongarm as Hound (that one is a stretch, but not many folks want a Roadbuster, I'll bet)
- EN Sky Shadow as Powerglide
- EN Blackout as Whirl (if they do this though, Roadbuster's gotta be in)

So, apparently Voyager ($20) Blackout is really small, only about as tall as a Deluxe: http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=63069
And with the other Voyagers in that line: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/goldran/100_1398.jpg
He looks pretty small for a $20 figure, I wonder if he's smaller than Classics Optimus.

Tycho
03-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I read about them hitting WM, but didn't have a chance to report it back here. I hit WM yesterday but nada, seeing that review, I'll probably get Rumble and hate it, and no chance in hell now of me getting Cat Ravage.

Why? Ravage is by far the better of the two. Honestly. If I were told by my mom "that I could only have 1..."

Chaddymac
03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I read about them hitting WM, but didn't have a chance to report it back here. I hit WM yesterday but nada...
Ditto. Nothing at our local Wal-Mart. JT - if you do happen to run across them, be willing to do a poor guy a solid by stashing or picking them up for me?

JediTricks
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
I forgot to mention this, but a security guard at Target Pasadena 1-story I saw last night had a Decepticon logo tattooed in purple across the entire top of his hand.

Why? Ravage is by far the better of the two. Honestly. If I were told by my mom "that I could only have 1..."The front wheels don't turn left-right, the cat isn't very poseable, and it's covered in kibble. Plus, a cassette bot as a car makes NO sense to me, but especially a character we've already done as an Alternator.

Ditto. Nothing at our local Wal-Mart. JT - if you do happen to run across them, be willing to do a poor guy a solid by stashing or picking them up for me?Sure, absolutely, if I have the scratch at the time I'll pick them up for you, if I don't I'll put efforts into a quality stashin'.

Tycho
03-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I have no idea why I'm compelled to defend Ravage - I've already bought him and love him, but I'm compelled:

1) He really does not have noticeable kibble that offends me at all. He folds up nicely and I rather like the figure.

2) I never bought that Tracks repaint they put a cat head on and joked was Battle Ravage. :rolleyes: Ugggh. That was offensive!

3) The wheel turning feature is easy enough to overlook. Even when I display them as cars, I don't spend a lot of time turning their wheels. Ravage makes an awesome Jaguar XK.

4) The Decepticons they could do as Alternators would be very limited due to the nature of what the alt modes of many Decepticons were. The Seeker jets as cars would not be to my taste. Caterpillar could cough up their license or something, so they could go for the non-combining Constructicon, but I think Alt line sizes would be quite small for those. I honestly don't want Megatron as a car (Cadillac, or with a bit less reservation, a Hummer - moreso now in light of movie Ratchet). Unless the line reverts to a 1980's Nostalgia (and they have the Classics series for that), no one uses cassette tapes and Walkmans any more. So we're either left with an almost all-Autobot line (save for Stunticons and Swindle) or some of these guys as Alts can be acceptable.

I agree with you about:

5) Ravage is not as poseable as I wished.

So here I am arguing with you about a Transformer instead of going to the gym before John Edwards comes on 60 Minutes (west coast time 7pm, CBS)

Oh well, the things we do...

JediTricks
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Dude, he's got nearly the entire top of the car on his back, from the front bumper and grille to the hood, windshield, and roof, it's all kibble - how is that not noticeable?

The turning wheels lend authenticity to them, Hound at least mitigates the lack there with working suspension.

Tycho
03-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll see how well my cell phone can take some pictures and then post them if they turn out alright.

I have MPE Optimus, Alts Sunstreaker and Jazz (Meister) fighting MPE Starscream, Alts Rumble and Ravage.

El Chuxter
03-26-2007, 12:13 AM
The humanoid Ravage was a surprisingly good figure, all things considered. My favorite of the three Corvettes.

BountyHunterScum
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Does anyone plan on actually paying $100 for the Ultimate Bumblebee?

Tycho
03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Does anyone plan on actually paying $100 for the Ultimate Bumblebee?

The money is not the issue. I don't have "plans" to buy it, but I will wait until I see the actual product (and the movie might entice me to buy as well).

IF the movie actually turns out good, I'll even buy a Michael Bay action figure.

Heaven forbid.

BountyHunterScum
03-26-2007, 02:52 PM
$100 is too much, I would only want it because it is the new Camaro.

Adam
03-27-2007, 02:09 AM
$100 is too much for that robot design..

BountyHunterScum
03-27-2007, 09:29 AM
$100 is too much for that robot design..

Heck yeah it is, I just want the car to hell with the robot. I liked the Alternators because of what cars they were plain and simple. I liked mainly the Vettes Mazdas RSX's and Mustangs. I have some of the BT versions as well.

El Chuxter
03-27-2007, 04:17 PM
I picked up Classics Devastator last night.

I would advise passing. He is by no means a $30 figure.

Adam
03-27-2007, 04:57 PM
The price isn't bad, it's a deluxe ( $9.99 ) plus 4 basics (4 x 6.99), my Energon one cost me roughly 40 bucks.

Tycho
03-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, Alternator Ravage is on my computer desk (in car form at the moment) right now. In spite of how JediTricks rates him, I am really glad I got this cat!

This is the way you do Ravage!

JediTricks
03-27-2007, 08:45 PM
The humanoid Ravage was a surprisingly good figure, all things considered. My favorite of the three Corvettes.Well, I think partly it's because they chose the Corvette with the unattractive roof/back window, and the convertible version throws that out which works much better. I didn't care for the cat head too much, but it did work from a Beast Wars-style perspective (G1 Ravage did a guest stint on BW).

Does anyone plan on actually paying $100 for the Ultimate Bumblebee?I can't imagine that thing being too popular with its creepy face, permanent weapon arm, and dancing action. $90 plus tax is exceptionally high for a Transformer, the highest-priced TF figure ever that I know of.

$100 is too much, I would only want it because it is the new Camaro.Haw! I was just about to say that! Same exact thing here.

I picked up Classics Devastator last night.

I would advise passing. He is by no means a $30 figure.Well, it's only a repaint from the Energon line, and I paid $38 for all 5 of them, so $30 ain't too bad. It's by no means a great set, but I don't dislike it.

Tycho
03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
$90 plus tax is exceptionally high for a Transformer, the highest-priced TF figure ever that I know of.

MPE 03 Starscream from Japan.

Tycho
03-27-2007, 11:48 PM
This was funny!

Find out what Transformer are you? (http://www.liquidgeneration.com/Media/Games/The_Ultimate_Transformers_Quiz/)

ME GRIMLOCK! (oh is El Chuxter going to be mad!)

"Me dumb. Me Grimlock. Me think me should be leader. But me dumb. Sorrryyyy."

figrin bran
03-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Tycho's quiz said that i'm Optimus Prime.

BountyHunterScum
03-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Ironically most of the assistance I do for my family is related to electronics.

I got Wheeljack.

Adam
03-29-2007, 01:07 AM
It told me I was Optimus, even though I picked a sports car. *shrug*

figrin bran
03-29-2007, 01:58 AM
well, i got optimus even though i picked a jet.

JediTricks
03-29-2007, 05:22 AM
MPE 03 Starscream from Japan.MP-3's current MSRP would convert to $87.59, he's 10,290 Yen.

Tycho
03-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Add s&h JediTricks, because you can't just walk into an American discount store and buy him (though some comic shops might carry him).

Anyway,

Find out what Transformer are you? (http://www.liquidgeneration.com/Media/Games/The_Ultimate_Transformers_Quiz/)

Tycho
03-29-2007, 02:49 PM
This just in:

BinalTech to make an invisible Mirage figure. (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=127904)

I'm not sure this should be a joke - but it's not. The Alternator Mirage will be re-issued completely "clear" so the Transformer appears invisible or using his cloaking device that was so much a part of his G1 character.

Takara seems to be taking a page from Hasbro with its blue holo and ghost figures that they need not worry about paying for paint applications on. Instead, this time they are molding a Transformer completely paintless. :rolleyes:

It might be interesting and although Mirage is my favorite mold / car / figure 'bot in the line to this date (yes, having articulation superceedes Ravage), I'm not really in the market for an "invisible one." BinalTechs are not sold in the United States anyway, so this would have to be special ordered.
On top of that, all Alternators are nearly invisible in American stores anyway.

Adam
03-30-2007, 01:46 AM
well, i got optimus even though i picked a jet.

I totally forgot about that G2 Minicar Prime so my objection is busted. No Jet Prime's that I can remember though!

If I were to buy a movie Optimus Prime figure, it looks like it would be the voyager sized one at this point.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=127945

Looks tons better than the leader one.

Tycho
03-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Looks tons better than the leader one.

I agree, especially since this is the one without the giant battery pack in the back. I think this is the Prime that I cared for back at the time when we were looking at the prototypes.

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Add s&h JediTricks, because you can't just walk into an American discount store and buy him (though some comic shops might carry him).That has nothing to do with the actual price though, I was saying Ultimate Bumblebee at $90 is the most expensive Transformer ever, and that's still true as far as I know - import fees and middleman issues are not part of the figure's original cost.

Takara seems to be taking a page from Hasbro with its blue holo and ghost figures that they need not worry about paying for paint applications on. Instead, this time they are molding a Transformer completely paintless. :rolleyes: Actually, Takara (now TOMY) has been doing "crystal" variants of Transformers for over 10 years now, that came first.

It might be interesting and although Mirage is my favorite mold / car / figure 'bot in the line to this date (yes, having articulation superceedes Ravage), I'm not really in the market for an "invisible one." BinalTechs are not sold in the United States anyway, so this would have to be special ordered.I'm tempted but will wait to see how it turns out, I like this mold and I think it could make a great clear version, but without panache it could make a really poor one.

If I were to buy a movie Optimus Prime figure, it looks like it would be the voyager sized one at this point.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=127945

Looks tons better than the leader one.I thought so too, then I saw this extended album and the figure is so much kibble backpack and such a fugly head that I lost any slight interest: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=7346&dispsize=800&start=0

Tycho
03-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Uggggh! It's like every time I find something I like about this new movie (the new TV trailer), I find something that doesn't sit right with me. The kibble on this toy for example.

Alt Ravage has NOTHING on this guy, JT.

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I just noticed, looks like that Voyager Optimus' fingers can't close: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=7346&pic=Copy_of_P1010030.jpg&dispsize=800&start=20
8th strike, you're out! ;)

This has to be the longest kibble backpack I've ever seen on a TF, it's twice as thick as the regular bot part:
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=7346&pic=Copy_of_P1010020.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

I didn't notice the driver (hologram?) behind the wheel until now, that's an odd one, looks like he flips up to disappear when the door is opened: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=7346&pic=Copy_of_01.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=7346&pic=Copy_of_02.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

Adam
03-30-2007, 11:17 PM
He does look weird when viewed from the side, but I still kinda like it. I don't know if I will get it though.

Tycho
03-31-2007, 12:17 AM
New Question:

If the Autobots were real, which character would you be closest friends with?

I'm going to say I'd be likely to hang out with Wheeljack.

JediTricks
03-31-2007, 03:06 PM
A review of Masterpiece Megatron:
http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=775

Well, my wish list just got 1 item smaller.

Chaddymac
04-01-2007, 12:20 AM
A review of Masterpiece Megatron:
http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=775

Well, my wish list just got 1 item smaller.
Well, that's a shame. You know what else is a shame? For us Classics fans, here's a few more to ADD to your wish list:

http://www.botcon.com/botcon07/brochureri.pdf

Damn exclusives...

Adam
04-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Damn you seeker Jets!

Adam
04-01-2007, 03:04 AM
New Question:

If the Autobots were real, which character would you be closest friends with?

I'm going to say I'd be likely to hang out with Wheeljack.

HOUND! Phun with holograms!

JediTricks
04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Maybe they'll just be LOC or something crappy like that. :(

Chaddymac
04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe they'll just be LOC or something crappy like that. :(
Wishful thinking. Those are Classics. Rumor is that Dreadwind is a Jetfire repaint. And if they remold the wings on Thrust and Dirge, I think I'm going to drop a brick.

seanmcfripp
04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I did some complaining about the Botcon set a while back when talk of it including the remaining three Seekers was just a rumor:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=541068#post541068

I really just don't get it. Hasbro always seems to have some lame, dopey Universe type line that goes right along with the main line, and here they have the perfect opportunity to release repaint upon repaint to us as "Classics," or "Universe Classics," and they're pulling the plug on everything but the Movie line. And even if they were to revisit a Universe type line in the future, they're giving three of the biggest potential sellers to Botcon. I have to admit, as far as con exclusives go, this will be one of the all-time greatest. Problem of course, you'll have a few thousand happy folks, and even tens of thousands more up in arms. In a way, I'm actually kinda looking forward to the aftermarket insanity once these things hit. Remember Keldor and Faker with He-Man fans? OMG, this is going to be fifty times better.

JediTricks
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah, it is definitely wishful thinking, but it'd be the all-time hugest blunder Hasbro could make to take those guys out of mass-retail rotation for an overpriced exclusive set. I predict disaster.

darthvyn
04-03-2007, 02:49 PM
that's really distressing. and totally stupid.

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Tycho, this one's for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xneEZnaM8

While his voices are pretty hard to hear, there's no denying that he's got something great going on there.

Tycho
04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Haha. I love Alternators as you know. I wished they used the new Ravage though. That cat was missing his tail ;)

The opening video with all of them transforming was awesome!

BountyHunterScum
04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I have most of the Alternators. I hope they make good ones eventually like the Camaro concept

Tycho
04-05-2007, 04:59 AM
I have most of the Alternators. I hope they make good ones eventually like the Camaro concept

Movie BumbleBee? I hope for that, too.

BountyHunterScum
04-05-2007, 01:34 PM
They do make a huge one but he is $100 so screw that. Bumblebee should be a slower car wasn't someone else the faster car?

Tycho
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
There were a lot of cars:

Wave 1: SideSwipe (Lambo), Jazz (Porshe - originally, now Solstice), Sunstreaker (Lambo), Windcharger (Camarro or TransAm? was a minibot, so?), Cliffjumper (minibot as well, so hard to tell), Prowl (Nissan 380zx I think), Bluestreak (Silverstreak - Nissan as well, now Subaru), Mirage (formula race car, now Ford GT concept car), Wheeljack (Lotus then, Mustang now)

Wave 2: Red Alert (fire chief Lambo), Tracks (Corvette), SmokeScreen (was? now Subaru Impreza), and many more I'm forgetting.

We got into really fast cars in futuristic designs by Wave 3: Hot Rod and Blurr to be sure, as well as one of Springer's triple-changing alt-modes.

Plus there were vans and SUVs, etc.

I don't know if BumbleBee was the absolute slowest CAR, but there were definitely faster models that were more powerful as robots as well. BumbleBee was a minibot originally. He wasn't ever a licensed Volkswagon product, but that's exactly what he looked like.

He's being framed as a very brave and enthusiastic warrior, if still a less than capable one because of his size in the prequel novel I'm reading. In the new revision of Transformers, Jazz is even slightly smaller, but neither are cowards by any means. Prime and Ironhide just prefer to protect the smaller bots a little bit.

JediTricks
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Haha. I love Alternators as you know. I wished they used the new Ravage though. That cat was missing his tail ;)

The opening video with all of them transforming was awesome!
My guess is he made it before the new one was out or even announced.

BTW, Bumblebee in G1, the toy was originally designed as a Penny Racer version of the VW Beetle (the idea being that it was a child's toy that turned into a tiny real robot) which is why it's chibi. The VW Beetle would be the slowest car of all the G1 originals except maybe Hound, but these are Transformers, it doesn't really track. Still, making him into a Camaro makes NO sense to me.

BountyHunterScum
04-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Prowl was an Police RSX Alternator.

JediTricks
04-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey, anybody know what the hell happened to the TRU-exclusive G1 Reissue Soundwave? It got like 2 sightings and then fell off the earth, it's not even on the TRU website that I can find.

figrin bran
04-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey, anybody know what the hell happened to the TRU-exclusive G1 Reissue Soundwave? It got like 2 sightings and then fell off the earth, it's not even on the TRU website that I can find.

JT, i found a few (bought one) at Burbank TRU back in mid Feb. not sure if Los Feliz ever got any in.

JediTricks
04-07-2007, 12:37 AM
JT, i found a few (bought one) at Burbank TRU back in mid Feb. not sure if Los Feliz ever got any in.
Did you happen to buy them and wish to now part with one? ;)

DarkArtist
04-07-2007, 08:32 AM

pretty much the same with GI reissue Optimus Prime. I had to get the figure in NY for about $45 at the TRU in Times Square. I only saw the Soundwave once and picked it up that day. have yet to see it again as well. I will be in the city this on the 15th so if I see one and you want it let me know. Can't make any guarntees that it will be in the store but then again you never know.

Tycho
04-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen the pics on TFW2005 by now, taken by a moderator over there who has movie Ironhide in hand.

Ironhide's alt form is a GMC Topkick which is near the equivalent of a Ford F650 - a very big truck in other words.

This picture taken next to his True-Alternators (custom stickers on Mirage), shows why I can't buy these figures. Ironhide is pretty nice, but if he were the correct scale for Alts (1:24) he'd be huge next to a Mustang or a GT.

What also sucks is that if they ever make a Deluxe Alternator for movie Ironhide, he'd close in on the scale of my Prime and Starscream (MPEs) and make them look further offscale - especially Starscream.

Anyway, Ironhide will be Voyager class. There are 4 that we know of:

Ironhide
Ratchet
Blackout
Starscream

The "Deluxe" which is really like the basic will be:

BumbleBee
Jazz
Bonecrusher (way off scale)
Brawl (another way off scale)
Barricade

Leaders will of course be Optimus Prime and Megatron (like you couldn't guess)

BoneCrusher and Brawl would be better suited to being Voyager class, and I'm sure they'll be re-issued.

The crap-of-the-matter is:

Megatron
Prime
Starscream
Blackout
BoneCrusher
Brawl

should all be Master Piece Editions

and

Ratchet
Ironhide

should be Deluxe Alternators

and

BumbleBee
Jazz
Barricade

should be regular Alternators

Scorponok and Frenzy can work just fine as very detailed MiniCon accessories.

That's what it will take to get me to buy anything (besides the stock I took out in Hasbro many months ago :D )

Adam
04-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Here's a gallery of what is thought to be the final version of $20 Movie Prime next to the test shot version. I am leaning towards buying this guy.

http://www.fotop.net/heerotoys/Final_ver1

JediTricks
04-10-2007, 04:09 PM
My Titanium 6" Cheetor and Fallen came in the mail yesterday, along with the free Autobot and Decepticon magnets. The magnets are just 2-dimensional images, like fridge magnets (I was hoping for sculpted rubber like a lot of nicer magnets) but what they lack in depth they make up for in size, probably 4" each, I was surprised by how big these magnets are. The only thing that doesn't work for me is the 7-4-07 date printed at the bottom, but it's not too bad. Now my fridge is an Autobot and my foot locker is a Decepticon (no way in hell I'd put these on a car, they'd be stolen in 5 seconds).

Cheetor is pretty simple, your standard "stand up, you're a robot!" catbot, but the lines are elegant and reminiscent of his BM show look. The paint is top notch. The articulation could be better, and I was expecting a little more transformation. The swords are cool. In bot mode, his beast tail doesn't disappear or come off which sucks, and his head is set too low. But I still think this is a pretty decent piece.

Fallen is very cool in many ways, bot mode is bulky and tough looking, the hellfire paint elements are nifty, and the sculpted scratches are a good touch. Transformation is decent. Alt mode is a bit disappointing because the turret isn't close enough to the body and the rear halves of the treads are on panels that have the floppiest miserable hinges.

I will be in the city this on the 15th so if I see one and you want it let me know. Can't make any guarntees that it will be in the store but then again you never know.Yeah sure, that'd be awesome, thanks! :cool:

Adam, your link is non-existent.

Adam
04-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Adam, your link is non-existent.

Yeah I was trying to get to work and must have skipped that step. :P

Here ya go : http://www.fotop.net/heerotoys/Final_ver1

Tycho
04-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Dude this is funny! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGOnNIxa8DE) The best of Optimus Prime (be sure to watch the end credits, too)

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 03:06 PM
"SUPA MODE!!!" and then the Power Rangers music starts playing, awesome! Stupid fatimus prime. I was a little worried with Fatimus started kicking arse, but luckily 20th Prime took care of that.

JetsAndHeels
04-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I picked up the Target exclusive 5-pack of the mini-figures tonight. I am not a big TF collector but I thought these looked pretty cool and for $10 it was a good buy.

Anyone else picked this set up?

figrin bran
04-15-2007, 12:12 AM
$10 is a pretty good price for those TF's especially since each one individually would've been 3 something.

i only have the soundwave from that set and that was a regrettable purchase so i'm not really interested in the set.

Chaddymac
04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I picked up the Target exclusive 5-pack of the mini-figures tonight. I am not a big TF collector but I thought these looked pretty cool and for $10 it was a good buy.

Anyone else picked this set up?
What five pack? Did I miss something?

Tycho
04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
I saw a 4-pack.

Megatron was the Batmobile, LOL.

JetsAndHeels
04-15-2007, 01:16 PM
What five pack? Did I miss something?

Sorry, its actually a 4-pack..a Target exclusive.
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Cybertron-RID-Target-Exclusive-4-Pack-NIB_W0QQitemZ260106699968QQihZ016QQcategoryZ49015Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)is one currently on ebay.

Tycho
04-15-2007, 04:51 PM
It looks like 4 reasons to NOT buy Transformers if you ask me. Only you guys who are regular enthusiasts know what Alternators and MPEs are, and how they far outweigh anything else in terms of quality. I can make exceptions for the Classics, but their proportions to each other are pretty 'off.' Also, they need to quit painting Prime white and calling him Ultra Magnus. The latter character needs a completely redesigned mold to make him look like the classic G1 character that Magnus was (and poseable at that). I've never seen one good Magnus toy, as a matter of fact. The G1 with non-poseable body armor wasn't worth it either, but the look for display was cool and the car carrier functional.

Oh well. No one understands...

darthvyn
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
it was a worthwhile repaint to me, because he also came with another jet. together they should've been $30 according the pricepoint of each of the original versions, but instead it was $20, and therefore literally a greater deal than the sum of it's parts.

DarkArtist
04-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah sure, that'd be awesome, thanks! :cool:

Sorry JediTricks, wasn't able to find one for you, the TRU in Times Square was sold out.

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Okay... So I just read a rumor that War Within Grimlock is finally in the works.

So, the War Within Titanium Series looks like this so far:

Optimus Prime (out of production)
Thundercracker (out of production, but still available on hts.com)
Jetfire (out of production, but still available on hts.com)
Starscream (current)
The Fallen (current or forthcoming)
Megatron (forthcoming)

Wikipedia (of all places) also lists forthcoming Ultra Magnus, Sunstorm, and Skywarp (though I don't recall any but Skywarp actually appearing in the comic).

So if I were to decide to get these, the only one who's somewhat tough to find now is Prime, right? I'm not missing anybody on my list, in other words, correct?

Adam
04-18-2007, 02:10 PM
WWI Magnus is a white Prime repaint again..

Tycho
04-18-2007, 05:10 PM
MPE 06 is SKYWARP! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

He'll have a new headsculpt too! No pictures are yet available. But they are also increasing the amount of metal parts in the mold that MPE Starscream did not have, thereby possibly even making it more palitable for Hasbro to import.

Very nice.

Chaddymac
04-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Okay... So I just read a rumor that War Within Grimlock is finally in the works.

So, the War Within Titanium Series looks like this so far:

Optimus Prime (out of production)
Thundercracker (out of production, but still available on hts.com)
Jetfire (out of production, but still available on hts.com)
Starscream (current)
The Fallen (current or forthcoming)
Megatron (forthcoming)

Wikipedia (of all places) also lists forthcoming Ultra Magnus, Sunstorm, and Skywarp (though I don't recall any but Skywarp actually appearing in the comic).

So if I were to decide to get these, the only one who's somewhat tough to find now is Prime, right? I'm not missing anybody on my list, in other words, correct?
Lucky for you, Hasbro announced an exclusive two pack coming up with WWI Megatron and WWI Optimus Prime. So, even though you haven't gotten him yet, you can get both in one shot if you're lucky.

El Chuxter
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
That's awesome news! Any word on who will have this exclusive? (Please say Target. I've had much better luck with Target exclusives over the past year than Wal-Mart exclusives.)

Also, anyone know the story on this (http://www.hasbro.com/common/promo/032107_155043.jpg)? I found that on hasbro.com/transformers, but when I click on it, it just takes me to the Transformers listings on hasbrotoyshop.com. Is there a code you have to enter? And does anyone know what these magnets are? I'm guessing the insignias based on the image, but that's not necessarily a given.

figrin bran
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Chux, i believe JT has those magnets so he should be able to shed more light on them. i think they're just the Autobot and Decepticon insignias.

Tycho
04-20-2007, 12:14 AM
No one's interested in the retool of MPE Starscream into Skywarp with more METAL parts and some new sculptwork?!

figrin bran
04-20-2007, 12:28 AM
No one's interested in the retool of MPE Starscream into Skywarp with more METAL parts and some new sculptwork?!

well, much like you with Classics, it's just something for me to look out and admire, nothing more. believe me, i'd love to have it but if i did cave in, that would open the floodgates and i'd want Megs and Starscream and Optimus.

El Chuxter
04-20-2007, 01:15 AM
If I couldn't fork over the money to import Starscream or Megatron into the US, Skywarp isn't going to entice me to do so. ;)

He does look damned cool, though.

Tycho
04-20-2007, 07:03 AM
I saw the close ups (though watermarked) of Skywarp's face-sculpt.

He seems to have 1 copy of Starscream's, it might be anyway, and one gritted teeth constipation face. Oh-no!

"Prime - this is Jazz. We need cover-fire from the Ex-lax weapon now!"

:eek:

darthvyn
04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
meh, the "gritted teeth" face looks all jacked up...

www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK10712&mode=retail&picture=aux2

not impressed. i'm happy with my tiny little $10 version ;)

Adam
04-20-2007, 11:55 PM
I'd be more excited about it if they had used the first prototype we saw of Starscream. The mold they went with doesn't look as good.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Sorry JediTricks, wasn't able to find one for you, the TRU in Times Square was sold out.Oh well, thanks for trying.

Okay... So I just read a rumor that War Within Grimlock is finally in the works.There's some question as to what version the scheduled Grimlock will be, not sure it's War Within or G1 or what.

The Fallen (current or forthcoming)The Fallen is out now, I have him.

MPE 06 is SKYWARP! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

He'll have a new headsculpt too! No pictures are yet available. But they are also increasing the amount of metal parts in the mold that MPE Starscream did not have, thereby possibly even making it more palitable for Hasbro to import.

Very nice.Oh man, the face on that guy is so laughable. But the colors are superior, and apparently it has more diecast. Still, seems a little underwhelming with what we know of the MP Starscream mold's issues (fragility, small size).

Chux, i believe JT has those magnets so he should be able to shed more light on them. i think they're just the Autobot and Decepticon insignias.I posted about these already (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=542638#post542638). They're 5" across, pretty big really, flat large classic logo magnets with a small 7-4-07 under each logo.

If I couldn't fork over the money to import Starscream or Megatron into the US, Skywarp isn't going to entice me to do so. ;)That's a fine point.

Tycho
04-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Starscream's size was determined so that his robot form would be smaller than MPE Prime or Megatron - in lock with tradition from the cartoon.

If Michael Bay's Starscream is larger than Megatron, which is one rumor, it is because the F-22 is larger than a Cybertronian Fighter Jet (and obviously larger than a Peterbuilt Semi-Truck).

Alternators are not officially part of the MPE line, but in terms of the robot sizes, the Alts are also proportionate to the G1 cartoon Starscream. The '07 movie robot is obviously maybe 4 times the size of an Autobot car even in robot form.

However, the MPE Starscream (now Skywarp) might be the best we'll ever do.

Does anyone forsee them making movie Alts (Ironhide, Ratchet, BumbleBee, etc.) and then scaling Starscream, and especially "nobodies" like Blackout and Brawl to correspond with that size? Starscream would be nearly the size of the old GI Joe F-14 Tomcat, and his robot the size of an old "Shogun Warrior action figure" - (Godzilla was part of this line - the one with the launching claw hand) So the MPEs might be the best we'll ever get. The Cybertron "Key" Starscream TRU carried for $50+ was larger it seemed (though I wasn't interested in non-realistic stuff) so maybe (even hopefully) I'm wrong. Especially considering 2 things:

1) The movie might be super-successful and Hasbro will sell Transformers like Star Wars

2) Hasbro owns Transformers - they do not own Star Wars. So their profits will be huge by comparison, since they don't have to pay George Lucas for licensing fees. By contrast, Steven Spielberg pays Hasbro for the licensing rights in this arrangement. :D

El Chuxter
04-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Okay, so these are the same magnets they handed out at Comic-Con last year, it seems. I already gots me an Autobot one.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 02:46 PM
From the TakaraTomy movie merchandise catalog comes this:
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=7463&pic=10.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0
Dude, that just blew my mind, Kronoform was so cool to me as a kid, and this comes out and OWNS the concept. I hope it'll get released here!

Check it out, a PS2-style controller turns into a monkey man: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=view&album=7463&pic=17.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

Starscream's size was determined so that his robot form would be smaller than MPE Prime or Megatron - in lock with tradition from the cartoon.Don't hand me that bull, Starscream wasn't just 60% as tall as Megs in the cartoon, they did this because of budget.

Alternators are not officially part of the MPE line, but in terms of the robot sizes, the Alts are also proportionate to the G1 cartoon Starscream. But the Alternators weren't that much smaller than Prime, so there's no logic to that.

Does anyone forsee them making movie AltsLet me stop you right there: no.

Okay, so these are the same magnets they handed out at Comic-Con last year, it seems. I already gots me an Autobot one.Ah, I did not know that. Ok then, there ya go.

Tycho
04-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Don't hand me that bull, Starscream wasn't just 60% as tall as Megs in the cartoon, they did this because of budget.

Takara's budget? But Cybertronian key-feature Starscream was huge. I'm not sure why MPE couldn't have been made so in that case. It's a high-end collectible and you charge what needs to be charged for it.

But the Alternators weren't that much smaller than Prime, so there's no logic to that.

The MPE Prime - and yeah, they're a lot smaller. But the sizing is about right if you use your MPE Prime with the Alts.

Let me stop you right there: no. "We'll see!" [Tycho says with rebellious dissent]

Chaddymac
04-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Okay, so I pre-ordered MPE-05 Megatron from BigBadToyStore when it was first announced and forgot. Then I got an E-mail announcing that it was on its way to me and it was a bitter sweet message. Did I even still want him, after what everyone else had said about him?

Well, with nary a choice about it, I received him on Friday and I have some thoughts.

First of all, whoa is this guy tough to transform. I mean, after doing it a few times it definitely makes sense and you think, "Wow, that's some engineering genius a little bit", but in the beginning, going from the pictures in the instructions, it's more like "You want me to do what with the what now?" It is, however, strikingly similar to the G1 figures transformation. For the most part, it's just tweaked to reach the visage of the Megs we all know and love.

But those tweaks are significant enough to require very special attention to those instructions. There are two points where I'm constantly afraid I'm going to break something. The first is connecting and disconnectiong Megs' firing arm - the one with the heavy cannon (and boy is it heavy - more on that later). I think, because the arm is going to be a weight bearing joing, they required a tighter connection between the shoulder and the torso. Unfortunately, that tighter connection makes it seem like you're forcing two things apart that don't want to be apart (like Britney and controlled substances) or you're forcing two things together that don't want to be together (like Britney and rehab). The second point is the first step in transforming from gun-robot or the the last step in transforming from robot-gun - the former leg assembly hooks into the bottom of the former torso assembly to complete the handle/barrel marraige. Unfortuntately, the hooks with which these two parts meet are small and fragile. Unable to make sense of the directions (until it was too late) I thought the two parts snapped together. In reality, it's more like the hook or slide into one another. So, I'd put more force on one of the hooks then it was meant to bear and *snap* - it broke off. Not a big deal, actually, because there are multiple connections and the rest of them are strong, but it's annoying to have that happen right out of the gate on such an expensive figure. On the one hand, though, that connection isn't really needed. On the other hand, now she ain't so minty fresh. Am I complaining that the hook was there to begin with, that the hook was so weak, or that the instructions mislead me? Who cares, complaining feels good and I'm feeling better.

Aesthetically, Robot Megatron looks much better up close than in the pictures we've seen. Without the Fusion Cannon on his arm, he's actually in pretty good proportion. The lower legs bulk up as part of the transformation, he's got strong die-cast feet, his face/head look good, and his hands have nice articulation. Comparing him to the animation pics in the booklet and on the box, it's a very good likeness, with only the most minor of deviations. That said, the lack of waist articulation does limit his poses and I'm having trouble coming up with a nice looking action pose that doesn't make him look constipated. But he's got multiple hip and knee joints to make up for it and his arms have all the joints they need (although the shoulder joint is a bit limited), and if he's just standing strong, he looks damn good. Now, add on the heavy Fusion Cannon, and the aesthetics change slightly. Yes - it's huge. It looks enormous on his arm, but it's not so terrible that it overshadows the other really cool things about him. The arm joint is also strong enough to hold the cannon up. Really, the size difference between the cannon and the way it's portrayed on the cartoon is only just noticeable and probably wouldn't be commented on at all if not for the fact that the first figure in this line was the irreproachable Masterpiece Convoy. I truly believe this is the best we could've hoped for in a Masterpiece Megatron, at least until they actually figure out how to make our toys mass-shift.

The gun mode is well done and even has a safety switch, but it's oversized. Which, frankly, has the strange affect of making me remember what it was like to be a kid when everything was too big for my hands. At any rate, the gun looks almost exactly like what an oversized WP38 would, and since it would have to be oversized for the robot to be this size, it's acceptable. Hmm...I wonder if I found a way to attach G1 Megatron's cannon to MPE Megatron's arm, would it look proportional?

Anywho, The accessories are awesome and all of them interact with Megatron very well, with the exception of the energy morning star. That chain is too long. I've taken some string and folded it up in half and tied the chain links at both ends together and it looks much better.

My last comment is on the dreaded orange plug. It's dreaded and it's orange, but aside from that, it's not much of anything. It barely changes the appearance of the figure and therefore barely changes his appeal. I would like to know if anyone tries to remove the barrel plug, though. If it's easy enough and doesn't cause damage, I would do it. But at the risk of causing damage, it's not worth it. For all the folks paying a premium for an unmodded Megs, you may find yourself disappointed. For anyone who is on the fence about this figure, your mileage may vary. If you think you'll regret not adding a nemesis for MPE Prime to face off with on your toy shelf, I think this is a great figure to add to your collection. If you think you could go either way and only want the most perfect $100 toys if you're going to spend that much, you might want to pass. I wasn't sure I wanted him and he was on his way to me before I could say "no", but I'm glad I have him and I don't, ultimately, regret the purchase.

Tycho
04-22-2007, 01:40 PM
I really thank you for your review ChaddyMac.

I'm taking that into full account, having memorized your words! It's true.

I'm going to go to my comic book shop and look at this toy which they ordered and see if that helps me make up my mind any.

I have no doubt I'm going to order MPE 06 Skywarp, but Megatron still gives me some pause.

I also don't like a disproportionate alt mode I can never display with my other Transformers (because of the fictional mass shifting), so that is another strike against him on my scoresheet.

I would love for there to be a MPE Megatron in his Cybertronian jet form from the new movie, or something else cool like that (if they fix up his face a little bit so he looks like Megatron and not Michael Bay's $#@!)

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Takara's budget? But Cybertronian key-feature Starscream was huge. I'm not sure why MPE couldn't have been made so in that case. It's a high-end collectible and you charge what needs to be charged for it.Cybertron's Supreme Starscream is a MUCH simpler design across the board, it's transformation is way more simplistic, it's tolerances are much lower in sculpt and assembly, and it had an active cartoon tie-in which lessened the risk. That last part is another HUGE difference, the Cybertron figure was marketed to kids who are in far greater number and have far less discerning tastes than adult collectors, whom the Starscream piece was tailored for.

The MPE Prime - and yeah, they're a lot smaller. But the sizing is about right if you use your MPE Prime with the Alts.It's a huge stretch to make that claim.

Nice post Chaddy. I've heard that complaint about the shoulder joint before so it seems to be very consistent, same with the overly-long chain on the mace. Surprised to hear the fusion cannon isn't as overwhelming as it seems, I will have to see this in person to believe it.

I've read the plug is removable from the barrel, it just slides out, but that'd make it noncompliant with the US law on the matter ("permanently-affixed" is the language referring to the blaze-orange plug) so I don't see how that can be.

Tycho
04-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I've read the plug is removable from the barrel, it just slides out, but that'd make it noncompliant with the US law on the matter ("permanently-affixed" is the language referring to the blaze-orange plug) so I don't see how that can be.

He transforms from non-compliant to legal and then back again :D

Re: Starscream:
the Cybertron figure was marketed to kids who are in far greater number and have far less discerning tastes than adult collectors, whom the Starscream piece was tailored for.

As an adult, I only have a mint-loose MPE Starscream because I transformed it (taking an hour to be so careful with the delicate parts) once and posed him, and don't move him very much at all since then. Fact 1: I refuse to transform him back to a jet again. That's not to "my discerning taste" - that's a desire to not have to repurchase a product that shouldn't have this shortcoming. Fact 2: I'm most interested in Skywarp, so I can probably leave him as a fighter jet when creating a Transformer diorama of sorts (though I occasionally transform my Alts or MPE Prime because they are not so delicate).

It's a huge stretch to make that claim.

I will have Johnny Cochran contact you and submit his "Wookiee Defense."

For the moment, I ask you to consider that MPE Prime is a good size to go with the Alternators because Chewbacca fought on Endor with the Ewoks, and then he celebrated on Endor with the Ewoks, but Chewbacca is a Wookiee. I ask you where were the Wookiees? Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but there are Ewoks on Endor. That does not make sense. If Ewoks are on Endor and Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but Chewbacca is on Endor, your argument does not make any sense. Therefore you must conclude that your opinion of Optimus Prime and the Alternators does not make any sense. :laugh:

Dude, I'm good!

JediTricks
04-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Fact 1: I refuse to transform him back to a jet again. That's not to "my discerning taste" - that's a desire to not have to repurchase a product that shouldn't have this shortcoming.You have the most amazing ability to make no sense whatsoever. Honestly, what the hell are you talking about, how does that have jack squat to do with the adult collectors' discerning taste? I was talking about the type of toys kids are willing to buy, they aren't as discerning in refinement.

I will have Johnny Cochran contact you and submit his "Wookiee Defense."Johnny Cochran is dead, and that was one of SP's early flops.

Tycho
04-23-2007, 11:01 PM
You have the most amazing ability to make no sense whatsoever.

Thank you! :D

Honestly, what the hell are you talking about, how does that have jack squat to do with the adult collectors' discerning taste?

I'd suspect that adults would still like to buy Transformers that they aren't afraid to transform for fear of breaking them. Chaddymac's accident with MPE Megatron would seriously tick me off if I paid that much for the figure only to have even the smallest part crack. That's why I fear playing with Starscream.

I was talking about the type of toys kids are willing to buy, they aren't as discerning in refinement.

That's funny. That's what I thought about the rest of you guys who bought the RiD, Cybertron, BeastMachines, WarWithin, and all that crap that wasn't G1.

Alternators Rule!

Johnny Cochran is dead, and that was one of SP's early flops.

Johnny Cochran is on Endor. This is because Chewbacca fought on Endor with the Ewoks, and then he celebrated on Endor with the Ewoks, but Chewbacca is a Wookiee. I ask you where were the Wookiees? Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but there are Ewoks on Endor. That does not make sense. If Ewoks are on Endor and Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but Chewbacca is on Endor, that's why Johnny Cochran is on Endor. :crazed:

figrin bran
04-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Thank you! :D

I'd suspect that adults would still like to buy Transformers that they aren't afraid to transform for fear of breaking them. Chaddymac's accident with MPE Megatron would seriously tick me off if I paid that much for the figure only to have even the smallest part crack. That's why I fear playing with Starscream.

That's funny. That's what I thought about the rest of you guys who bought the RiD, Cybertron, BeastMachines, WarWithin, and all that crap that wasn't G1.

Alternators Rule!

Johnny Cochran is on Endor. This is because Chewbacca fought on Endor with the Ewoks, and then he celebrated on Endor with the Ewoks, but Chewbacca is a Wookiee. I ask you where were the Wookiees? Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but there are Ewoks on Endor. That does not make sense. If Ewoks are on Endor and Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but Chewbacca is on Endor, that's why Johnny Cochran is on Endor. :crazed:

dude, when is it going to enter your fanboy firewalled head that Alternators are deader than even the SW Ultra Titaniums? :p

Hasbro does have pretty deep pockets but they're still a business and not your personal toy genie ready to grant you whatever toys you might wish.

Tycho
04-24-2007, 02:40 AM
dude, when is it going to enter your fanboy firewalled head that Alternators are deader than even the SW Ultra Titaniums? :p

Takara-Tomy is issuing a transparent "cloaked" Mirage over in Japan / Hong Kong. Much like Hasbro had hologram figures for Star Wars, don't you think that if Alternators die, they can release their "ghost figures" in transparent plastic? :crazed:

Hasbro does have pretty deep pockets but they're still a business and not your personal toy genie ready to grant you whatever toys you might wish.

I'm not hearing you. I'm not hearing you. :stupid:

figrin bran
04-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm not hearing you. I'm not hearing you. :stupid:

search your feelings....you know it to be true

Tycho
04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
search your feelings....you know it to be true

Nnnnoooooooooooo!

JediTricks
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I spotted the movie preview protoform figures at Target Eagle Rock today, they scanned for $9.99 each, I didn't bother getting them though. The deco is even worse in person I think, the paint doesn't really fill right, they're both pretty muted.

I'd suspect that adults would still like to buy Transformers that they aren't afraid to transform for fear of breaking them. Chaddymac's accident with MPE Megatron would seriously tick me off if I paid that much for the figure only to have even the smallest part crack. That's why I fear playing with Starscream.Granted, but that has nothing to do with my "discerning taste" comment.

That's funny. That's what I thought about the rest of you guys who bought the RiD, Cybertron, BeastMachines, WarWithin, and all that crap that wasn't G1.And that is why you fail. You've missed out on so many kickass Transformers because you're a snob fanboy who doesn't recognize how limited the original G1 entries really were due to your nostalgia.

Alternators Rule!Yeah, you can really tell that by the high sales and the fact that the line didn't get canned. :p Honestly, it's a niche line and a limited one at that, they're not all that much fun, a lot of them are kinda samey to each other, there are far too inspired entries. I'd say that Smokescreen and Mirage are really the only special ones.

Takara-Tomy is issuing a transparent "cloaked" Mirage over in Japan / Hong Kong. Much like Hasbro had hologram figures for Star Wars, don't you think that if Alternators die, they can release their "ghost figures" in transparent plastic? :crazed:TakaraTomy's been milking the specialty Binaltech entries forever. This one does look pretty cool, but I think only Mirage can get away with the concept (I think they've done a couple other BTs as "crystal" already).

El Chuxter
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Tycho, War Within is Generation 1. It was a series of comic mini-series (unfortunately cut short by Dreamwave's going out of business, as it was the only worthwhile thing they produced) set millions of years in the past. With a couple of minor exceptions, it could be the "prequels" to the cartoon, the Marvel series, and the Dreamwave series.

Of course, the rumor is that a future series would involve Megatron leading the Quintessons to Cybertron, which would've separated it more from the Marvel and Sunbow continuities, but big deal.

It's most famous (or should be) for Grimlock's quote: "Me Grimlock bad@$$!"

figrin bran
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
And that is why you fail. You've missed out on so many kickass Transformers because you're a snob fanboy who doesn't recognize how limited the original G1 entries really were due to your nostalgia.

JT, the only thing wrong with that statement is that i don't believe that Mr. Tycho owns any G1 TF's anymore nor has he gone at length about how superior the G1 toys are. however, as we're all aware, MPE's and Alternators are his TF's of choice and so he isn't really your traditional G1 Fanboy. if i'm not mistaken, he didn't even pay any attention to TF's until Alts first came out. now having said all that, i really don't understand the reason for the snobby fanboyism. Dude Tycho, we're talking about toys, not vintage wine or impressionist paintings!

maybe to bring balance to the force, i'm going to start posting daily about how i wish for an MPE Beast Wars Tigerhawk!!

(no, i don't actually wish for one, the original one is good enough for non discerning TF fans like me :p)

better yet, how about an MPE Waspinator?? that way if he falls apart, we can just tell ourselves that it's supposed to just like on the show.

seanmcfripp
04-27-2007, 02:31 PM
So what does everyone think of the Botcon Seekers?

http://www.botcon.com
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon07preview.cfm

They're about what I expected, and as such, I think they look pretty sweet. I actually like that Dirge is a straight up repaint of Ramjet, gives him a bit more bulk in jet mode, something a bit lacking on the original. And man, I'm lovin' that Thrust. I'd have preferred the Starscream style gun barrels as opposed to the Ramjet style, but he looks great anyway.

I've never gotten caught up in the hype that surrounds exclusives, but I'm totally getting sucked in by these.

Chaddymac
04-27-2007, 02:48 PM

They're about what I expected, and as such, I think they look pretty sweet. I actually like that Dirge is a straight up repaint of Ramjet, gives him a bit more bulk in jet mode, something a bit lacking on the original. And man, I'm lovin' that Thrust. I'd have preferred the Starscream style gun barrels as opposed to the Ramjet style, but he looks great anyway.

I've never gotten caught up in the hype that surrounds exclusives, but I'm totally getting sucked by these.
I think they're so awesome, I may quit the hobby. It's not gonna get better than this, and I can't even get this.

So sad.

Tycho
04-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Dirge actually looks like the best one to me. They did a nice job on these.

This is seriously the best Transformers line (in general) in a long while and it outdoes G1 that it's trying to be nostalgic for.

Much, or probably all of the Classics line is the best / most perfect line for Transformers that they've ever done. It could and should go on or return after the movie madness as made its impact.

El Chuxter
04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I love the way they look. I will never be able to get them. And that makes me sad.

Hasbro could've done something less... high-demand for Botcon.

JediTricks
04-27-2007, 10:55 PM

I've never gotten caught up in the hype that surrounds exclusives, but I'm totally getting sucked in by these.It annoys me that these Seekers, which would have sold well on the pegs, got relegated to being extremely expensive Botcon exclusives. Thrust looks so cool with those new wings, I would have loved to see that on shelves. Dirge is, as you said, a repaint of Ramjet and it's totally inaccurate to the G1 figure's wings (which don't have tails at all, and the tips fold up). If nothing else, Thundercrackah and Thrust would have gone a long way to carry Classics into wave 4 and 5.

Botcon exclusives are usually far more exotic too, coming from sources that either they had made up or are incredibly arcane, so to go this route feels like a real slap in the face.

figrin bran
04-27-2007, 11:06 PM
*sigh sigh*

i would've definitely bought all 3 of the seekers were they regular releases in the classics line. :cry:

Tycho
04-28-2007, 12:37 AM
I just got home with Masterpiece Megatron from my comic book shop. He's unaltered (yaaay!). I'd told the store owner that I only planned to come in and LOOK when he first got them (he had at least 4-6 unaltered Megs there, straight from Japan).

Well, he was screaming "buy me!" and it was just overwhelming. I lasted 10 -15 minutes before I caved in and bought him though. I need to reserve some pride and post that. 10 -15 minutes.

While I was there, 3 other people were admiring him and 1 nearly buckled and bought the next one.

Then when I got him home and was riding the elevator in my complex building, another guy and this chick saw him in my bag and admired him and the guy wanted to know where he could go and get one - and he seemed set on a plan to go and do that tomorrow morning. They're going to sell out fast I imagine! (Guys that don't even own any Transformers want this one!)

OK, talk about peer pressure to buy and then positive reinforcement to enjoy my purchase!

Now, I've been forewarned, and I don't want to display or fidget with an oversized gun anyway, so I have no plans to ever transform this guy. He's a poseable action figure as far as I'm concerned. I haven't even opened him yet - but I get worn out running around pretty easily these days, so it's comfortable to settle down and type for a while.

ChaddyMac, I need to join you at the table for the Megatron fan club! As to your comment about the Seekers, yes they are cool if you're using them with Minibots, as that's about the correct scale without size changes, but I don't know how bent out of shape I'd be with the BotCon exclusive idea. They'll probably wind up on HasbroToyShop.

In any case, now since I've caved in on MPE Megatron, I might run around and buy the Classics (they are so good) so should I ever join the complaining about the Seeker availability question, you guys have now seen it coming.

I have become a hypocrite at last! :crazed:

JediTricks
04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
How much did you drop on it?

I cannot imagine buying ANY transformer and never transforming it even once.

Tycho
04-28-2007, 07:05 PM
How much did you drop on it?

He cost me $123 after tax. I bought him there also because I like Ed and the girls (including his Japanese wife) that own and work in my comic book shop. It's fun to hang out there, so I was glad to give him my business, as I usually spend $3.22 a week there - and not every week -for my Star Wars comics and that's it.

Next, I paid $97.12 for Starscream, shipped from Japan. That's $26 less, granted, but Megatron was unaltered and I didn't have to take any chances with customs. I saw a rumor posted on TFW2005 that eBay closed all the auctions for unaltered Megatrons because they didn't comply with USA toy gun restrictions (orange plugs). Others that shipped these with them, had either loose plugs added that were easily removed, or they were glued in, as an attempt to permanently affix them. Mine has no such glue residue or orange paint scrapings in the barrel.

I actually got to open him and examine him before I bought him because Ed is so cool with his regular customers in his store.

As I said, while I was there, at least 3 other people coming in for comics, anime, or anything else, completely reversed their course and started making plans in their minds to buy one. I bet he sells the other 5 he got by the end of today. The guy in my elevator when I came home saw Megatron and wanted one. I have no doubt that guy probably bought his from Ed this morning. In fact, Ed was contemplating taking one off the market and keeping it for himself.

I think several of the people who wanted him do not own a single Transformer!

Now there are some things that might disappoint them once they buy:

I cannot imagine buying ANY transformer and never transforming it even once.

I will not break him and likely cannot replace him. I want to now move on my focus towards getting MPE Skywarp as there exists no other Transformer that I'm currently aware I want (I have no plans to buy the movie products, and while the Seekers are tempting from Classics, I'll somehow manage to live without them and preserve free space in my living area - I know I have couches, 2 beds, a desk, kitchen table, etc. in here somewhere.... ;) )

A lot of people elsewhere are going to break MPE Megatron and Starscream both. I don't look at them as toys, but more like SideShow Premium Formats or Attikus Statues, etc. (Starscream ships as a jet though, so 1 transformation is necessary and quite fun to figure out and admire the ingeniousness of their design). Oh, while I haven't attempted Megatron - his instruction book is so thick it's as if Microsoft included it as a supplement to Windows :rolleyes:

Anyway, finally I'll restate: what the heck do I need a handgun that's larger than my MPE Prime or my Alternators (in either mode) for? I don't like the size changes any more, but they are a part of G1 tradition, nevertheless. That being said, I'd probably buy a 1980's Soundwave or Shockwave if they did them for this collection. To be honest, a straight repaint of the G1 Soundwave would probably work fine for the MPE scale, the Laserbeak tape, too. I might try to hunt one down on eBay. I think the original G1 Soundwave would be (as a robot) comparable to MPE Starscream and work nicely. Imagine the vintage Laserbeak sitting on MPE Megatron's arm!

I only want certain Transformers made now - for me, it'll be a small collection:

Vintage Soundwave
Vintage Shockwave (I guess)
MPE Blackout w. scale Scorponok
MPE Brawl
MPE BoneCrusher
Deluxe Alternator Irohide
Deluxe Alternator Ratchet
Alternator BumbleBee
Alternator Barricade with Frenzy
MPE Skywarp (coming)
MPE Thundercracker
MPE Ramjet (I'd like them to start using a new sculpt / type of jet for the 2nd wave)
MPE Dirge
MPE Thrust
MPE Ultra Magnus, with Super-Articulated body armor for traditional look
MPE Springer - triple changer, new real car mode, detailed helicopter
MPE Blitzwing
MPE Astrotrain - very large
Alternator Hot Rod - real car type. Ferrari F-40?
Alernator Blurr - real car type. Lamborghini?
Alternator Kup - real truck type (pickup obviously)
MPE Grimlock - I guess (make El Chuxter very happy)
Alternator Arcee - hmmm? Must she be pink? I dunno here.
Alternator Wreck-Gar - real motorcycle (Harley?)

JediTricks
04-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I will not break him and likely cannot replace him.And that's why I don't want to buy imports like this, if I cannot fully enjoy the figure, what's the point of spending that much? They're not the perfection of a statue, they have obvious seams and unattractive joints that keep them in toy status.

Anyway, finally I'll restate: what the heck do I need a handgun that's larger than my MPE Prime or my Alternators (in either mode) for? Think of it like a Master Replicas version of Megatron scaling himself to Starscream's hand. :D

Tycho
04-29-2007, 04:30 PM
And that's why I don't want to buy imports like this, if I cannot fully enjoy the figure, what's the point of spending that much? They're not the perfection of a statue, they have obvious seams and unattractive joints that keep them in toy status.

Hehe. We hardly ever agree about anything to do with Transformers, don't we JT? Such is the case again...

Since I am not going to be collecting Transformers statues, the figures I do select for my Autobot / Decepticon battle diorama serve as my statues. It's cool that they actually ARE Transformers even if I am not transforming 2 of them (Starscream and Megatron). The rest function well of course, as you probably know, owning some Alts yourself as you may, as well as 20th Anniversary Prime (I'm guessing - I mean who could pass on the best Transformer ever made?)

Think of it like a Master Replicas version of Megatron scaling himself to Starscream's hand. :D

I already have a version of Megatron in gun mode, scaled to Starscream's hand. It came with 20th Anniv. Prime. However, if that could transform, he'd be 1 inch tall (if that)!

If he were scaled to the "real" Starscream, like MR sabers are "real scale," his gun mode would be the size of a car and it would require 2-3 humans to even lift him.

And of course, if he transformed into a real robot, he'd be something like 40-50 ft. tall.

JediTricks
04-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Hehe. We hardly ever agree about anything to do with Transformers, don't we JT? Such is the case again...Only because you're wrong and you stand for everything that has hampered Transformers for the past decade. :p

If he were scaled to the "real" Starscream, like MR sabers are "real scale," his gun mode would be the size of a car and it would require 2-3 humans to even lift him."Scaled Replica".

Tycho
04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Well I got a mint-in-box, unaltered, new Megatron for final cost of $123.90. People have asked me what I paid and then said I got a good price (such was commentary I got at TFW2005). So I guess I did alright. I might be scared to transform him, but I love having him posed in my diorama.

BTW, my toy connection buddy that stocks at Wal-Mart got him and did attempt to transform him and reports that he has had difficulty getting the triggers to lock into position on the gun mode. Obviously I can't relate to the experience, but I enjoy missing that particular frustration.

We both agree that we'll buy MPE 06 Skywarp and keep him as a jet.

figrin bran
04-30-2007, 10:41 AM
TF Classics are starting to clearance at Target or at least at one store that i visited. Deluxes were down to $6 and change, Minicons $4something and Voyager Prime was around $13, i believe.

JediTricks
04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Well I got a mint-in-box, unaltered, new Megatron for final cost of $123.90. People have asked me what I paid and then said I got a good price (such was commentary I got at TFW2005). So I guess I did alright. I might be scared to transform him, but I love having him posed in my diorama.

BTW, my toy connection buddy that stocks at Wal-Mart got him and did attempt to transform him and reports that he has had difficulty getting the triggers to lock into position on the gun mode. Obviously I can't relate to the experience, but I enjoy missing that particular frustration.

We both agree that we'll buy MPE 06 Skywarp and keep him as a jet.IMO, you should take the risk, you should experience the toy fully, you should know what it can do, especially since you could always sell a broken one on ebay for probably half what you paid and buy another one.

TF Classics are starting to clearance at Target or at least at one store that i visited. Deluxes were down to $6 and change, Minicons $4something and Voyager Prime was around $13, i believe.Yeah, I saw that at Target as well, can't believe I forgot to mention it, I was tempted by $13 prime which is silly since I already have him and Ultra Mag. :p

El Chuxter
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Robot Heroes!! (http://www.tfw2005.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1742/page/3)

Ravage being packed with Optimus is weird, but he's so darned cute!

It looks like Hasbro lost the rights to the name "Shrapnel," too.

My only complaint would be that those who were released as Titaniums are in the sasme poses.

JediTricks
05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
I dunno why, but that doesn't work for me at all, the concept doesn't seem to translate to these kinds of robots I guess.

El Chuxter
05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Awww, you don't think RH Ravage is so adowable? He's so cute and cuddwy!

No?

You are dead to me, JT.

You stinking DoomBot.

figrin bran
05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
i guess i will be collecting one of the new TF lines, after all. thanks for the link to the pics of the Robot Heroes!

Tycho
05-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I honestly have little desire for any of the movie product. Bring on MPE Skywarp!

I'm debating whether I'll go for that Alternator Hot Rod (Mirage repaint) - probably not though.

Tycho
05-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Toys R Us had the sneak preview figures today (protoforms).

I've finished reading the prequel novel, so the tie-in half tempted me. But I didn't buy.

They are smaller than I thought they'd be. But Optimus Prime looks like a great action figure with nice paint detail and still manages an "Optimus" look about him somehow. I'm not crazy about turning him into a Rock Lord, but the robot is cool.

Starscream is not so ingenious, more kibble when a robot, and not great paint or color choices. I think his bronze color was chosen entirely to differentiate him from Prime by way of color. Anyway, if they never make any more of these protoform toys, they might have already made too much. TRU had probably 9-12 pegs of these characters alone. I wonder if they'll wind up having them until next Christmas. Even if the movie does brilliantly, kids are going to want the mainstream looks for these characters. However, it is a chance to get Prime and Starscream at a cheaper pricepoint.

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Oh man, my local TRU had a solid WALL of these - way to fail Hasbro, case after case of just 2 figures, and they aren't even in the movie! It was sad and painful to see all those figures there, so I bought them out of curiosity and pity.

These are turdbots, they turn into doody, and it's entirely fair to call them Rock Lords because, like the GoBots Rock Lords, these are mostly shell kibble and the limbs just fold into a vague shape, it's not even an honest transformation.

Tycho, you're completely wrong about the kibble on Starscream, Prime is the one who is really suffering kibble in bot mode while Starscream is far and away the one better off. Prime's backpack/cape/kibble is way bigger and sticks out further, his waist kibble has those big wings, it's shameless. Starscream has a smaller cape/kibble thing and only a buttplate of kibble.

Both figures suffer greatly from poor color choices, though Starscreams is more roboty and fits better with his movie colors. Prime's light blue with silver is very "ungood", it makes him look very plasticky and bland and monotone. The orange translucent plastic on both is cloudy but just clear enough to lightpipe, this looks good on Screamer and bad on Prime.

Both share the same basic cheap transformation and alt mode, though Prime's alt mode looks more like a comet, turd, and even like a head than Screamer who is more angular and pointy and has wings here and there. Prime's supposed to remind one of a truck, it has the details but I think they translate more as a face (as I mentioned above); Screamer's got jet turbines. Neither transformation is anything more than folding arms back and legs up and back. Screamer gets a clever auto-transform head transformation by folding the shoulders forward, Prime gets bupkis.

I wish we had gotten the prototype Screamer head shown on the package, it's much less lame than this mouthy doofus-looking thing. Prime's face is so tiny it's like they're going for something else entirely, but they have just enough of the overall shape to prove it's Optimus.

Screamer's detailing is all straight and pointy and robo. Optimus has some weird pseudo-organic curves that really detract from the "robo" of him and I don't like it at all, the gun and the shoulders are the worst of this. Neither look all that much like the crazy piecey characters from the movie which I find strange. Both have actual "hands" rather than normal fists, and it's a mixed bag. Their guns each have charms, the blast elements don't, and Screamer's missile seems like the odd man out - I wish they had just stuck with blaster cannons on his shoulders, he doesn't seem like Starscream when he's holding a pistol.

Bot modes both suffer weak hip joints which is a shame because they're basically just good for background figure fodder who should just stand there and fill out the ranks as generic Cybertronians. Articulation is alright, basically the same stuff we've come to enjoy lately, but Screamer has this horrible shoulder design with a ball joint that hangs down - he can raise his arms to straight in front of him, but it's an awkward affair the entire time.

All in all, these are kinda "eh" and don't really seem like they fit in the movie realm.

figrin bran
05-05-2007, 09:42 PM
JT, you must be talking about Los Feliz TRU's wall of protoforms. i was speechless when i saw that.

Tycho
05-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Well I'm glad I own stock in Hasbro and not Toys R Us. Meanwhile, what was TRU thinking?

They probably thought the case contained more than just 2 characters.

It is May 5. The movie is not for exactly 2 months now. That (and June 2nd when the mainline releases) is when the sales will start to move. Who knows if they'll move for the Rock Lords, though.

That being said, in the packaging, they still look like cool figures. But they're not part of the Transformers I'm interested in collecting.

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 05:33 PM
JT, you must be talking about Los Feliz TRU's wall of protoforms. i was speechless when i saw that.You know it! :thumbsup: Oh man was that horrific to see, like you I was in shock when it hit my eyes.

Well I'm glad I own stock in Hasbro and not Toys R Us. Meanwhile, what was TRU thinking?Overordered? Actually, I bet Hasbro conned them into taking them and agreed to eat the leftovers (which there will be many).

They probably thought the case contained more than just 2 characters.No chance in hell, just not possible, if they were that stupid they wouldn't have gotten out of the '90s. The execs in charge of that sort of ordering are on the ball with that stuff, nobody would order this much without knowing what it is.

Adam
05-06-2007, 07:25 PM
That (and June 2nd when the mainline releases)

Movie toys have already been found in the US and Canada.

figrin bran
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
You know it! :thumbsup: Oh man was that horrific to see, like you I was in shock when it hit my eyes.

Well, i stopped by today and it doesn't seem like they've sold a single one. to boot, they have one of those mini island endcap additions where a ton of the protoforms are hanging.

This isn't toy related but still perhaps of interest to everyone who reads this thread. Target has a black autobot insignia shirt now for 9.99.

Tycho
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Movie toys have already been found in the US and Canada.

I know. But my local stores have followed the street date on those (if they have them in the back).

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2007, 09:42 PM
These are turdbots, they turn into doody

That has to be one of the greatest quotes I have ever seen. Kudos to you JT.

I saw these things at Target last week. Man, how horrid they look....just horrid.

JediTricks
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, i stopped by today and it doesn't seem like they've sold a single one. to boot, they have one of those mini island endcap additions where a ton of the protoforms are hanging. They added MORE of them? That's insane! All this junk will be good for in a month is scrap plastic. :p

That has to be one of the greatest quotes I have ever seen. Kudos to you JT.Thank you, thank you, but really, the credit has to go to Hasbro for making them look like robot feces.

Tycho
05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Thank you, thank you, but really, the credit has to go to Hasbro for making them look like robot feces.

That's funny. Here I thought they turned into Michael Bay's feces. Wouldn't robot feces have alt forms that were more logical?

figrin bran
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
The LA Times had a short article on the TF film this past sunday and Mr. Bay claims to have spent a lot of time looking at TF toys. obviously not.

Chaddymac
05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
The LA Times had a short article on the TF film this past sunday and Mr. Bay claims to have spent a lot of time looking at TF toys. obviously not.
All this bitterness simply because the movie designs don't match the designs from our childhood. So what? If these had come first, would you complain as much?

Frankly, I've given in. The trailers look awesome and if I'm being honest with myself, they could transform in place and throw things at each other for two hours and I'd still buy popcorn and consider it time well spent.

Quitchabellyachin' and embrace Transformers as they will be in this new medium.

figrin bran
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
i don't expect them to mirror G1 designs or even Cybertron designs but as it's been pointed out many a time on this thread, there's just too many jagged pieces and exposed wiring on the robot modes.

Tycho
05-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Optimus Prime's face / headsculpt is a Transformers icon the same way Darth Vader's is to Star Wars. This is a perfect comparison.

If Lucas had altered Vader's appearance in E3 when Anakin first gets the mask (and he quite realistically could have said that in 19 years, Vader has time to make some changes, there would have been bloody hell to pay.

Perhaps the audience for Transformers is quite a bit smaller than for Star Wars, but with these characters, especially Optimus Prime and to a lesser extent Megatron and Starscream, they need to be treated right.

What if the Fett's didn't wear T-visor helmets in the prequels? Added to Vader having a proto-look?

Alright then. DO NOT F WITH THE TRANSFORMERS!

BumbleBee is a bit too C-3PO, but I can sort of live with it.

Ironhide is - well I don't know. Hopefully I won't have to look at him a lot in this picture.

Ratchet's alright. I actually like the neon green change and he's interesting as a Hummer.

Jazz is almost the traditional Jazz.

But Starscream has proportions like he's Optimus Primal. I expect him to swing from trees and take a girl in his hands and climb the Empire State Building. Not to mention he has Shrapnell's or Bombshell's face instead of his own.

Megatron looks like The Predator's long lost nanny droid. I expect him to say, "S..t happens" and Arnold Schwarzeneggar to come along and blow him up while Danny Glover steals his cannon.

Optimus has flames. Why? Because they couldn't also get Rodimus in this movie?

The rest of the Decepticons are knock-off characters and it doesn't really matter what happens to them. But Frenzy is a knock-off of General Grievous. He'll have to say, "You're a bold one, General Prime. Well, army or not, you are doomed!"

There are things that look like they're going to be way cool - the Prime vs. Bonecrusher fight, for example. I think the movie has a 50% chance of being a hit with me. Where my pre-screening complaints lie are obvious though.

figrin bran
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
very well put Tycho! :thumbsup: