PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

plasticfetish
05-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Optimus Prime's face / headsculpt is a Transformers icon the same way Darth Vader's is to Star Wars. This is a perfect comparison.Not quite perfect. Good, and I get your point, but there's a long history of Optimus having different looks over the years.

Mostly, I just wouldn't expect them to model a film character after an old toy or a design from a not so great '80s cartoon. It shouldn't be a big shock that they're trying to really push the complex detail thing here.

Tycho
05-09-2007, 02:38 AM
My friend had seasons 1 & 2 of the 80's cartoon on DVD from an earlier release. I also own the 86 movie of course. Now it's my opinion, but one that's widely shared amongst near 30-something fans - that this cartoon WAS so great. I'd say I only had '84-'87 to be into Transformers and then it was baseball and girls, and the usual transitions one gets into as they get out of elementary school and head towards Junior High School and playing in your room with your toys gives way to a larger world.

There were 2 things happening with Transformers at that time - the coolness of some metal parts and rubber tires and realistic designs were giving way to neon colored stuff out of someone's twisted imagination (Some additions like Slugslinger, Misfire, Springer, Hot Rod, Kup, etc. were cool - but it started getting way out of hand and further and further away from what was introduced by the after-school cartoon I entered the hobby for (as Star Wars faded out of the public's consciousness for a while). So I let it all go as I turned to growing up.

I don't know that the neon stuff, the HeadMasters, Target Masters, Beast Wars and Beast Machines and all that stuff held a good audience. I was out of the scene by that point. But all of us had wanted a live-action movie made with machines or models, or whatever they had to do (this is before CGI was really perceived of course).

The hope was for them to do the original, traditional. That is why whatever incarnations of Prime came later or whatever - they were never Prime to me.

I hope I have continued to explain this well. I suspect I represented other people's similar sentiments too.

figrin bran
05-09-2007, 03:33 AM
I don't know that the neon stuff, the HeadMasters, Target Masters, Beast Wars and Beast Machines and all that stuff held a good audience. I was out of the scene by that point. But all of us had wanted a live-action movie made with machines or models, or whatever they had to do (this is before CGI was really perceived of course).

I hope I have continued to explain this well. I suspect I represented other people's similar sentiments too.

yes and no. it's been stated/argued on this thread so i know i'm not the only one that feels that Beast Wars is the greatest TF animated show (and incidentally is what got me back into TF's). never mind the animation, which i feel still holds up pretty well, none of the other series can match it in terms of storytelling.

i can't say i ever wanted a live action movie, however.

plasticfetish
05-09-2007, 04:06 AM
That is why whatever incarnations of Prime came later or whatever - they were never Prime to me.Don't get me wrong, I fully understand and appreciate the iconic significance of the "classic" Optimus Prime. It's just that I think it would be very corny for them to go and do a live version of the old cartoon. What made it fun to watch was the originality... and now we're a few years past that, so there needs to be something a little different on the big screen.

Chaddymac
05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.transformersclub.com/_images/TransSunset&Vine2.PDF

JediTricks
05-09-2007, 04:26 PM
http://www.transformersclub.com/_images/TransSunset&Vine2.PDF
Yeah, here's the other version:
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsID=6D4001FF-D56F-E112-4CC7471ADAA8ADCB
I have press access to that, but friggin' 7 in the morning, I usually wake up around 10-11. And it's not like the building hasn't been covered for a while neither. I still haven't decided if I'm going.

I received yesterday the movie Optimus Prime leader class figure so I can review it for ActionFigs.com, that'll probably be tomorrow or Friday, but I am shocked to tell you that, while not much of a representation of the movie character, it's a surprisingly decent figure.

I just heard that Alternators Ravage doesn't have turning front wheels or opening trunk & hood - what the hell?!? How is that even an Alternator then?

Tycho
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I just heard that Alternators Ravage doesn't have turning front wheels or opening trunk & hood - what the hell?!? How is that even an Alternator then?

You are correct. I just like Ravage anyway. I'm really glad I have him. I'm not sure how you'd define "Alternator" but you make a good point. A charactersitic of all the others (save for Hound on the turning wheels, but his are "shock absorbant") is not descriptive of Ravage.

Yet even before they made him I was saying how cool it would be to have a Jaguar TM that turned into a jaguar. :p

So I got what I wanted for the most part. I also think sleek black sports cars look cool - but it's a %@!#% to keep it clean regardless of whether it's supposed to be an Alternator or if it's the real thing.

Anyway, I'll be interested to read what you write for a review on ActionFigs on the Leader Class Prime. Here's the challenge: CONVINCE ME to buy it. As it stands, I'm not planning on purchasing movie figures.

figrin bran
05-09-2007, 11:18 PM
i would go to that event but then i'd be late for work.

matthewilw
05-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Movie toys have already been found in the US and Canada.

Well, it's even closer than you think if you're in Texas. I actually found the entire first wave of movie deluxes at a target in New Braunfels (between Austin and San Antonio) earlier this evening. I didn't have the cash to buy all the ones I wanted but I did get bumblebee, wreckage, and Brawl. Overall I really like them as toys. Bumblebees feet just plain suck though.
Looking forward to Blackout and Ironhide.

plasticfetish
05-10-2007, 01:51 AM
at a target in New BraunfelsNear the Snake Farm? (Can't Resist.)

Adam
05-10-2007, 02:10 AM
Hm, haven't seen them in my area yet. The only ones I really want to get my hands on are the real gear ones. There's a few deluxes I want, and the two voyagers I want are not in the first wave so I'm not in a big rush. I work at Target anyways so I'll get them soon enough.

Tycho
05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Pictures of the 7" Unleashed Optimus Prime have surfaced. I'm actually not linking to them or posting them because I don't like them. Go to TFW2005 if you want to view it. I'm actively trying to ignore that it exists.

I posted over there what I finally found hit the nail on the head: The new design of Prime has G1.5 written into it: the flames are like Rodimus and the head with the face shown beneath the mouthguard is like Ultra Magnus. I am not so much a fan of these characters. OPTIMUS PRIME is the hero figure of Transformers, and his G1 Cartoon vision is what I subscribed to. Yeah, I know he's been re-imagined etc. but I can't help my tastes being for what I like. I've argued that to some extent prejudice, or at least preference is natural. We can't help our feelings. My feelings as they pertain to Transformers is that I specifically appreciate G1 Optimus Prime.

Michael Bay has helped oversee the wounding of that which I love - possibly its destruction. I'll wait until July 4th or shortly thereafter to declare that as I don't know the answer as of yet.

But here I've written a review for a piece I refuse to post or link to a picture of. There is something not right there, don't you think?

Anyway, it's getting to a point where I'd mark 2007 Transformer pictures (Alt Ravage and MPE Megatron excluded of course) as offensive images and I'd vote for suspension of forumites posting them!

In fact, I recommend we make a "2007 Transformers Pit" forum like the Rancor Pit, so that objectionable material that some people might find offensive is kept out of the regular Transformers forum!

Photoshopped pictures of Michael Bay being dismembered will be acceptable for the general audience however. If you want to add flames, images of him being set on fire should also be acceptable. However, any image of Michael Bay and an Academy Award in the same picture will get a forumite permanently banned! :upset:

These kinds of products and the abuse of Optimus Prime should not be tolerated. If Muslims can riot over images of Mohammed, why must Transformer fans be well-behaved?

This morning, at about this time, the big Transformers building-sized poster thing is going on with the tours of Sector-7 mobile command or something. For an encore, they should toss Michael Bay off of that building with a rope around his neck! I'd have driven up to see that. :rolleyes:

Just maybe, I'll be proven wrong July 4th. I hope so. But there are days....

figrin bran
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
i don't know if we need to go to that extent, Tycho...

However, we should find it objectionable that the Big H is even making Unleashed TF's in the first place. if you had a choice between TF's that could actually transform or this preposed robot with the vehicle on the other side of a plastic base separated by flames, which one would you want?

wake me up when the Robot Heroes line comes out b/c i'll actually want those.

Tycho
05-10-2007, 12:31 PM
You know, I'm a fan of the Galactic Heroes line and love the little Star Wars guys. But the Transformers ones (Robot Heroes) do not look that cute.

I like the look of "Lil Formers" - the fan-made comic featured on TFW2005. That's how Hasbro should have done Robot Heroes if you ask me.

Next, as far as the Unleashed goes: they won't do more 7" new Star Wars like Qui-Gon and Lando, or cool options like a Royal Guard or Gamorrean, but they'll make 7" Transformers from the badly designed movie incarnations? OKaaaay. What's wrong with that picture?

I love Transformers (tranlation: I love an old cartoon from the 1980's) and I love the 13 select Transformer toys I own (very select as I own everything I actually want).

But Transformers does not have as large of audience as Star Wars. The only reason TFW2005 has more registered members than our Star Wars site is because there are a lot of big Star Wars sites to choose from: SSG, Rebelscum, GalacticHunter, YakFace, TheForce.Net, and so on, not to mention the Official Site has forums and so forth. Transformers has ultimately less locations so the fandom is more concentrated - presumably 18,000 in one place! (that's big - but again it's in one place).

This movie might blow Transformers up as big as Star Wars, but I doubt it. SW was directed by one man - it's visionary (Lucas) who pulled together a team with the likes of McQuarrie, Johnstone, Burt, Tippet, Oz, Kirshner, Ford, etc. He created and directed a lot of it.

Michael Bay was not even a Transformers fan. He seized an opportunity to raid a ready-made franchise for himself. And Spielberg, as talented as he can be, did the same. I don't think Transformers was on these guys' consciousness before. As far as Spielberg? Michael Crichton created Jurassic Park.

Furthermore, Peter Jackson did not create Lord of the Rings, and Sam Raimi did not create Spider-Man.

There is no comparison to Star Wars - but Hasbro is running the Transformers franchise in the same established pattern as they'd ultimately refined it for ROTS. That's why I'm going on about Transformers vs. Star Wars. Unleashed, Robot Heroes....they used to make PlaysKool products for Transformers like the JediForce (Rescue Heroes) stuff - I'm sure that will come back. :rolleyes: Optimash Prime is already enroute (Potato Heads). I can't wait for M&Ms to jump on this and start advertising "transforms in your mouth, not in your hands." :rolleyes:

I bought my stock in Hasbro and I've done VERY well with it actually, as I bought when it sold for cheap during a sales slump and I've held on for a good ride. I'm not jinxying myself by posting negative stuff about the products. First, Hasbro's direct customers are Target, Wal-Mart, TRU etc. and they're the ones who believe this line is going to be the next Star Wars. :rolleyes: Fine. Let them buy. It makes me money. But ultimately, they might be being sold a lemon as I don't think consumers will respond to this as well as they did for Star Wars in 2005.

The trick with the stock market is to buy low and sell high. I think I've got it figured out for Hasbro and I know what I'll be doing with my shares.

JediTricks
05-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Anyway, I'll be interested to read what you write for a review on ActionFigs on the Leader Class Prime. Here's the challenge: CONVINCE ME to buy it. As it stands, I'm not planning on purchasing movie figures.I'm not sure what your criteria is, I mean you buy crap like Alternators Ravage, so anything's possible. I suspect this actually would be up your alley if it weren't THIS character - if this guy was named "Trucksimus Nova" or something you'd be more likely to buy him.

Anyway, I'm going to be shooting him later today and then write up my review, so either tonight or tomorrow.

i would go to that event but then i'd be late for work.Yeah, I dunno what they were thinking with this, 1 day's advance notice, Thursday early morning right when everybody has to be going to work and kids are at school - great call, way to use those resources wisely. :rolleyes: I came SO close to going to cover it for AF, but my neighbors caused me to not sleep until 5am so I didn't go - and apparently I was spared a waste of time, the figure was a regular protoform, the show was dumb, no photos, nothing else going on: http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=189&itemid=11057

Hm, haven't seen them in my area yet. The only ones I really want to get my hands on are the real gear ones. There's a few deluxes I want, and the two voyagers I want are not in the first wave so I'm not in a big rush. I work at Target anyways so I'll get them soon enough.Yeah, Real Gear is the line I'm most excited about at this point, I'm not sure what I'll get from the regular line but when I see the Real Gear I'll definitely buy 'em.

Pictures of the 7" Unleashed Optimus Prime have surfaced. I'm actually not linking to them or posting them because I don't like them. Go to TFW2005 if you want to view it. I'm actively trying to ignore that it exists.
http://tformers.com/First-Look-at-Transformers-Optimus-Prime-Unleashed/7589/news.html
Oh man, I couldn't believe that, so funny, and you can tell he's kinda small based on the size of the base and the fact that the back has vehicle mode. The vehicle mode on the back thing isn't that bad an idea for an Unleashed, but the concept as a whole is just pathetic, and they should have waited for the final version of the CG character because this isn't a representation of it!

Oh, and check this out, this auction shows how much is gray, it's way too much: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280113592384
(I attached a copy because auction will eventually go away)

Anyway, it's getting to a point where I'd mark 2007 Transformer pictures (Alt Ravage and MPE Megatron excluded of course) as offensive images and I'd vote for suspension of forumites posting them!That's really funny! :D

In fact, I recommend we make a "2007 Transformers Pit" forum like the Rancor Pit, so that objectionable material that some people might find offensive is kept out of the regular Transformers forum!A friend of mine was super gung-ho about this movie, and he kept chugging through all the negative stuff, eroding a little at a time but standing steadfast that it'll work, then they showed Optimus' ridiculous mouth and immediately he switched to boycott mode.

This morning, at about this time, the big Transformers building-sized poster thing is going on with the tours of Sector-7 mobile command or something. For an encore, they should toss Michael Bay off of that building with a rope around his neck! I'd have driven up to see that. :rolleyes: The rope would just give him a chance to survive, if you do it without the rope though, it's a 30-story building... :p

i don't know if we need to go to that extent, Tycho...

However, we should find it objectionable that the Big H is even making Unleashed TF's in the first place. if you had a choice between TF's that could actually transform or this preposed robot with the vehicle on the other side of a plastic base separated by flames, which one would you want? That's what we said about the SW Unleashed and that crap has a strong fan following now. That's the audience Hasbro wants, "adult" fans who don't transform figures but want small plastic representations in "cool" styling of the characters. If it had been G1 as a lead-in to it, I bet it would have worked too.

wake me up when the Robot Heroes line comes out b/c i'll actually want those.They've been sighted.

You know, I'm a fan of the Galactic Heroes line and love the little Star Wars guys. But the Transformers ones (Robot Heroes) do not look that cute.TOTALLY agree!

Next, as far as the Unleashed goes: they won't do more 7" new Star Wars like Qui-Gon and Lando, or cool options like a Royal Guard or Gamorrean, but they'll make 7" Transformers from the badly designed movie incarnations? OKaaaay. What's wrong with that picture?There's a movie to offset risks, the audience will be growing fast and with them the number of casual consumers goes up too, they're the percentage is likely to buy this crap. SW has no movie and its casual consumers numbers go down because of a lack of exposure.

Plus, and I hate to use this, but Hasbro doesn't have to pay licensing so the risks are offset by higher profits - Hasbro said the SW Unleashed didn't continue only because there wasn't money in it, likely that's because some of the profits went to Lucas instead of Hasbro.

plasticfetish
05-10-2007, 06:13 PM
then they showed Optimus' ridiculous mouth and immediately he switched to boycott mode.I think he's got a purdy mouth! ("Trucksimus Nova" is very funny.)

Tycho
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
El Chuxter - you will understand. I'd like to report JediTricks for posting the offensive image above! :D

It made me cringe and unduly educated me about the pitfalls of ruthless capitalism practiced by Hasbro.

Look at their unsavory behavior - buying out all of George Lucas' stock because they're planning to dump Star Wars in favor of trying to make all their own money on crap like this!

plasticfetish
05-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Look at their unsavory behavior - buying out all of George Lucas' stock because they're planning to dump Star Wars in favor of trying to make all their own money on crap like this!That would make sense if Takara-Tomy didn't still own the Transfomers brand...

Tycho
05-11-2007, 12:28 AM
That would make sense if Takara-Tomy didn't still own the Transfomers brand...

Doesn't Hasbro Co-Own it?

I thought it went like this: Takara made transforming robots for the Japanese market.

Hasbro and Tomy partnered, helping Tomy compete in Japan and emerge in the United States.

Hasbro invented names and characters for the robots and authorized a cartoon show. "Transformers" became a copy-righted property and "big red truck that turns into a robot" became the Autobot Leader Optimus Prime with a fictional history that establishes Orion Pax, etc.

Even if it is a co-owned property, so is Star Wars. Buying out Lucas' toy shares of Star Wars (not his licensing rights mind you) brings Hasbro one step closer to owning all of it that they can.

Another thing to consider that I didn't think of, is that Lucas might have floated Hasbro a lot of cash to keep them stable between the E1 fiasco and slumping sales as E2 wavered. Remember that E3 was the far most successful prequel for the toy line? I think TPM made more money all around, but that was because it drew in even the curious before they knew what to expect, and the retailers over-bought it to the extreme.

JediTricks
05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I think he's got a purdy mouth!Well, that's disturbing.

("Trucksimus Nova" is very funny.)Thanks! I actually wasn't sure about it and went back and forth on what to do there a few times before committing. See how much I anguish over little offhand comments yet blast through huge databursts (posts, editorials, etc.) and such without a second thought? :p

Look at their unsavory behavior - buying out all of George Lucas' stock because they're planning to dump Star Wars in favor of trying to make all their own money on crap like this!That makes no sense, by buying Lucas' stock back into the company, they will be $200 mil poorer and thus have LESS capital to take those kinds of risks.

That would make sense if Takara-Tomy didn't still own the Transfomers brand...They only co-own it, Hasbro has a lot of power and control over the brand, it's an in-house brand as far as they're concerned, they have a weird little agreement. Tomy (as TakaraTomy is known in the US) licenses the concept and general G1 likenesses to Hasbro, I believe, but Hasbro owns the names and brand and a lot more.

Even if it is a co-owned property, so is Star Wars. Buying out Lucas' toy shares of Star Wars (not his licensing rights mind you) brings Hasbro one step closer to owning all of it that they can.That's so incorrect it's scary, SW brand is totally owned by Lucas, Lucas could pull up stakes at the end of their contract in 2018 and take the tooling from Hasbro to Mattel or anybody else if he wanted. That's exactly what DC did with Batman, the tooling Kenner and then Hasbro made for the Batman license went back into production under Mattel, and some still is flowing.

Tycho
05-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Australia is seizing Masterpiece Megatrons (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=133030)

With trouble like this, and many USA sources including orange plugs, I don't wonder why I never have transformed mine and keep him "loose-mint."

I'm just really glad to have him (unaltered even) and I leave it at that.

figrin bran
05-13-2007, 03:41 AM
I saw Bonecrusher and Swivel at Target today. Both look okay in vehicle mode but where are the heads? Swivel's looks like a giant camera lens.

Tycho
05-13-2007, 05:44 AM
I wonder exactly why Hasbro decided against having a June 2nd street date for these?

Possible answers:

1) They own the property, so they want to make as much money as they can by generating even earlier excitement.

2) There will be no midnight madness for Transformers toys. ONLY Star Wars can command such a turnout of hundreds of people per store and $1,000 sales tickets per individual customer. Never underestimate the Power of the Force (it's so true though!)

3) Spider-Man (though the toys look incredible) might not be doing so well for them? Maybe they want to push the envelope with Transformers? They do own more of Transformers than Spider-Man, as they still have to pay Marvel royalties to use their license for Spidey - though it costs significantly less than what they have to pay George Lucas for Star Wars.

Anyway, all this points towards Star Wars being the ultimate, undefeatable toy license for all history (not that we didn't know that). But here we are in a Transformers thread knowing that one ticked-off bi-polar teenager with a lightsaber could topple either Optimus Prime or Megatron while only standing 1/20th or less of their size. Darth and Goliath indeed.

Adam
05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Do you mean Swindle FB?

First wave of deluxes arrived at my store this weekend, but we are apparently going with the June 2nd street date. Bummer.

figrin bran
05-13-2007, 10:07 PM
yes, i guess Swindle is the name actually.

at least from what i've seen, SM3 toys are doing quite well. My local WM was completely sold out of the basic figures last weekend and everywhere i go, the better Spidey figures in the line are all gone.

Tycho
05-14-2007, 04:42 PM
TFW2005.com hit 20,000 registered members over the weekend! Geeze!

That's over twice the membership here (but there are more Star Wars sites out there and if our members were combined with Rebelscums, Galactic Hunter's, etc. - you get my point: The Force is stronger than the AllSpark).

However, 20,000 is impressive. SSG has about 8,000 Star Wars members here with about only 3% really active - basing that on the hardcore SSGrs that kept with the membership through MySpace and SWCollecting.com during the Action-Online power struggle. (Between 1-200 of us that can't get enough of each other and have to be here discussing whether Darth Vader or Superman would win in a fight).

JediTricks
05-14-2007, 07:55 PM
A quick preview, my review goes up later today, and the photos are in the ActionFigs.com gallery:
http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2424

Tycho
05-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Wow! It looks like you should like him and it will be a very positive review.

Nice photography work, too. I'm impressed. Are you turning over a new leaf, JT?

By the way, ( :D ) , notice how Masterpiece O1 Prime is not featured in these photographs, so the movie Optimus can actually look good. ( :D )

I don't know if a comparison of Primes will be part of JTs review. But this does look like a great figure. I'd definitely want one if not for MPE 01 - and the pics are helping me want one in spite of MPE 01.

Adam
05-14-2007, 09:12 PM
He looks allright, not sure I'm willing to part with 40 bucks for him at this point though. I still like the voyager one better, even if its not as accurate.

figrin bran
05-14-2007, 10:36 PM
However, 20,000 is impressive. SSG has about 8,000 Star Wars members here with about only 3% really active - basing that on the hardcore SSGrs that kept with the membership through MySpace and SWCollecting.com during the Action-Online power struggle. (Between 1-200 of us that can't get enough of each other and have to be here discussing whether Darth Vader or Superman would win in a fight).

"can't get enough of each other"??? ah, quit flatterin yerself! :p

plasticfetish
05-14-2007, 11:59 PM
A quick preview, my review goes up later todayNICE photos JT!

So, I like what I'm seeing. Is this going to be the figure (line?) that get me excited about Transformers again?

JediTricks
05-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Well, I found movie Swindle (the packaging explains he's from the movie game, not the movie) at Target and bought him. It's kind of weird and ugly, the camera head and chest are weird (the chest is really an extending cannon), huge boots, doors and roof/windshield are all kibble. I'm not really sure what to make of this weird thing really, if the paint and plastic lined up better I'd probably have more positive to say off the bat, and the red with trans smoke plastic doesn't match for crap. I dunno here, I'll have more to say on him tomorrow.

Wow! It looks like you should like him and it will be a very positive review.Yup, that is indeed the case.

Nice photography work, too. I'm impressed. Are you turning over a new leaf, JT?Thanks, it's not that I'm turning over a new leaf, it's that I was able to use some photography equipment for once, I had to shoot over there though, it took a long time so it's not something I plan on doing on a daily basis. :p

By the way, ( :D ) , notice how Masterpiece O1 Prime is not featured in these photographs, so the movie Optimus can actually look good. ( :D )It's a totally unrelated item, different cost, different KIND of toy, different everything. I chose to include the previous Leader-class Optimus instead, since it's among my favorite Primes and was close-by and happens to be the last $40 OP as well. I did accidentally mistransform the alt-mode on that figure which is a little embarrassing (I forgot the side windows).

I don't know if a comparison of Primes will be part of JTs review. But this does look like a great figure. I'd definitely want one if not for MPE 01 - and the pics are helping me want one in spite of MPE 01.No, I decided to judge this on its own merits, I only included the Cybertron OP for size comparison. I think you'll probably want to get this figure, don't worry about hurting 20th Prime's feelings. :p

He looks allright, not sure I'm willing to part with 40 bucks for him at this point though. I still like the voyager one better, even if its not as accurate.I don't like how much kibble that thing is sporting, and I just don't like the overall detailing on him, the head and chest and legs. The Leader one seems a lot better to me, though no cool shotguns - I doubt I'll buy the Voyager.

NICE photos JT!

So, I like what I'm seeing. Is this going to be the figure (line?) that get me excited about Transformers again?Thanks, especially coming from mr. database. :cool:

I dunno if he'll do that, but I did mention something similar in my review about it salvaging my waning TF interest.

JediTricks
05-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Ok, the review is up.

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=1306

BTW, I added the 2 videos I took showing off the electronic features, I had to reshoot them because the first time I took them, the harder photography lights washed out the LEDs (Prime's eyes didn't show at all) which is a tragedy because the originals had almost no noise and these reshoots are super noisy.

seanmcfripp
05-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Nice review and pics, JT. Also nice to see Prime transformed properly and consistently throughout the photo shoot. Seems like most of the other site reviewers who rushed up their galleries of Prime had him changing ever so slightly as they were posing him (toes flipped out one pic, but not in the next, or rear wheels hanging off hips in one pic, then properly connected in the next). I also like that you used the proper elbow joint for the arms. The other sites all seem to be using the upper joint around the bicep area as the elbow, which gives the appearance of overly long forearms.

I'll be honest, I really like most of what I see for the movie line. All of the Autobots look pretty sweet, and I especially like that they're fairly close in scale with each other. The '08 Camaro BB which popped up on Ebay recently looks particularly nice with transparent windows and a cool arm cannon that changes to a sword type thingy. I'm a little disappointed that the scales of the Decepticons are going to be all over the place. I'm not saying I want Starscream to be perfectly scaled with the Autobots, but I would like his jet mode to be at least a little bigger than Ratchet's Hummer. I like that Brawl is getting the Leader class treatment, and I'm encouraged by a little news tidbit on Seibertron.com stating Takara may release a Leader SS and Voyager Bonecrusher, which at least shows that Takara and/or Hasbro is taking the scale thing into consideration. I know it's not realistic for Hasbro to release all their baddies at the higher price points, but if I had my way, I'd like to have seen this:

Voyager:
Bonecrusher
Brawl

Leader:
Megatron
Starscream
Blackout

This way, the tank and Buffalo would be at least as big as a Hummer and Top Kick, and the Raptor and Pave Low would be bigger than everything else, except Prime's truck, which I can live with just fine. Then release all the wierd video game characters you want at the Deluxe pricepoint (which they're already going to do from what it looks like).

I can't wait for June 2nd. Let me re-phrase that: I can't wait 'til my local Target gets the movie toys in and I can trick an associate into bringing them out for me, hopefully prior to June 2nd. :D

Adam
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I can't wait for June 2nd. Let me re-phrase that: I can't wait 'til my local Target gets the movie toys in and I can trick an associate into bringing them out for me, hopefully prior to June 2nd. :D

If you feel like possibily getting some poor guy/girl fired..

Adam
05-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Hasbro has OFFICIALLY lifted the street date on DELUXE movie figures. Looks like I'll be picking some up at work on Thursday. :lipsrsealed:

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsID=903DC8AF-D56F-E112-454B1BE01FE35448

Also, here is Remy's gallery for "Robo-vision" Optimus Prime, which is the voyager one with different paint apps. It's also the one I'm going to pick up.

Guess it would help if I posted a link!

http://tfkenkon.com/g/?mode=album&album=Collection/act442

Tycho
05-15-2007, 03:31 PM
What Hasbro officially said is they were lifting the street date on movie figures with the letters X, Q, T, Y, and Z in their names.

Characters with 1,7,or 9 in their serial numbers may also be stocked.

If the packaging could be considered maroon in color, you may stock it. If it is red, then it must be reserved for June 2nd.

If the shipping container the toys arrive in opens from right to left, its contents might be immediately stocked for sale. If it opens from left to right, you have to wait unti 12:36:09 on June 2nd before you can bring this stuff out from the backroom.

Any employee chewing gum may not handle the Transformers. However, an employee with epilepsy who enjoys pistacchio ice cream may stock any movie item they see fit to.

People who have pets at home will not be allowed to purchase Transformers until June 2nd, except for people who have lizards or fish. The registers must be programmed to reject the sales of Transformers to anyone also purchasing dog food.

You must also park your car near the lawn and garden entrance to Target, as only the registers at those exits will be programmed to sell Voyager or Leader Class Autobots or Decepticons.

When checking out with Transformer purchases, customers must declare their allegiance to the Autobots or the Decepticons. People who say they identify with the Autobots, must not be sold any "Real Gear" items.

Customers must demonstrate proficiency at singing the Transformers theme song if they are to be allowed to make purchases before June 2nd. Please broadcast their performance on the store's PA system.

These are just some of the rules. Please explain them correctly!

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 06:16 AM
More thoughts on Swindle: still weird, and alt mode goes from good to bad with soft sculpting all the way. Bot mode suffers badly from camera-headed neck not telescoping up at all so it gets lost in the torso. Also, red color eats detailing and doesn't match up well with red paint, and translucent smoke plastic is INCREDIBLY BORING. Transformation is good at pretending it's not very basic even though it is, but ultimately it could have had more. Chest cannon is blah and points down slightly. Some good ideas in here but could have been way better, and the neck & deco doom is.

Movie-styled Arcee, she's totally awful: http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-movie-DELUXE-class-Arcee-test-shot_W0QQitemZ280114379828QQihZ018QQcategoryZ753QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I could almost forgive the bleh body design, even almost forgive the kibble wheel halves, even maybe that ridiculous color, but that ugly as sin head... what the f-???

Nice review and pics, JT. Also nice to see Prime transformed properly and consistently throughout the photo shoot. Seems like most of the other site reviewers who rushed up their galleries of Prime had him changing ever so slightly as they were posing him (toes flipped out one pic, but not in the next, or rear wheels hanging off hips in one pic, then properly connected in the next). I also like that you used the proper elbow joint for the arms. The other sites all seem to be using the upper joint around the bicep area as the elbow, which gives the appearance of overly long forearms.Thanks, I appreciate that you noticed. I tried to keep it consistent by shooting in the order I wanted it to be seen, that way I wouldn't have to keep transforming it back and forth and end up missing the aforementioned toes (easy to miss if you aren't into that transforming part like I am :D ) or the shoulderpads, or even the waist positioning (it folds down and back for transformation). The rear wheels on the back of the thighs is a toughy because they don't really want to let you move the knee joints, they want to fight and pop out, they fold back 90 degrees in the middle but it's not a perfect solution.

As for using the elbow joints, I actually tried to use both in concert, I think of the middle part of the arm as a large elbow rather than a bicep and forearm. It's funny, on a TF forums I visit, someone criticized my photos for not using that top elbow joint enough. :p I agree with you though, we have plenty of forearm on this thing, so why make that longer with the only elbow be up near the armpit? Plus, the upper elbow joint is much tighter than the lower one, the lower one WANTS to be used. But since the swivel articulation is in between them, you sometimes have to use only 1 elbow or another depending on the type of rotation you want to get (I prefer mid-bicep rotation so the lower elbow was a must).

I'll be honest, I really like most of what I see for the movie line. All of the Autobots look pretty sweet, and I especially like that they're fairly close in scale with each other. The '08 Camaro BB which popped up on Ebay recently looks particularly nice with transparent windows and a cool arm cannon that changes to a sword type thingy.Yeah, I like the looks of more than I expected to in this line, though I'm still not sold on any of them till I see 'em in person. I just saw that '08 BB today and it's WAY better than the '76 version, not just because the car is cooler but they used it much better than that '76 BB.

I'm a little disappointed that the scales of the Decepticons are going to be all over the place. I'm not saying I want Starscream to be perfectly scaled with the Autobots, but I would like his jet mode to be at least a little bigger than Ratchet's Hummer.I know what you mean, that is what the Ultra class should have been for, the $25 size makes a big difference from the $20 size, anybody who owns Cybertron Defense Red Alert and CD Scattorshot from the Cybertron line can attest to that - both great figures, but very different sizes even though they're only $5 different.

Also, here is Remy's gallery for "Robo-vision" Optimus Prime, which is the voyager one with different paint apps. It's also the one I'm going to pick up.

Guess it would help if I posted a link!

http://tfkenkon.com/g/?mode=album&album=Collection/act442The paint is noticeably superior, if I were to get this figure that would absolutely be the version I got. I just don't like how the robot looks though, the big eyes and narrow mouthplate are a big turnoff, and the kibble ain't helping.

seanmcfripp
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
If you feel like possibily getting some poor guy/girl fired..

Ok, I guess Adam is trying to make me feel bad here. Maybe someone can clear up this whole street date thing for me once and for all. What exactly are the consequences of "breaking" a street date, specifically in the toy industry? Are people really getting fired over this? Is Hasbro really in a position to penalize or sanction a retailer for selling something early?

Oh, and JT, a question about movie Prime: Does the arm cannon "flip-out" design seem to work as intended? Let me clarify: you have two basic positions you want the cannon to be in, one being the retracted, unarmed position, and the other being the extended, armed position. Between the two, in theory, you have 180 degrees of movement, right? Well from what I've noticed in pictures on some of the other reviewers' sites, the cannon never quite makes it all the way in either position. For the retracted position, the cannon should be parallel and flush against the forearm, but I'm not seeing that in most pictures. Looks like it even happens on yours too:

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=13739&cat=2424

Instead of going the full 180, it stops just short at like 177. Now in the extended "armed" position, as far as I can tell everything looks ok on yours:

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=13725&cat=2424

The cannon and forearm make a nice clean line.

I know with sprocket and gear designs like this that they have to be installed a certain way for them to work properly. There are basically two ways to orient a sprocket while it's being installed: tooth (male) exactly due north, or a groove (female) exactly due north. Just that little change in orientation is enough to throw off the whole system (all you engineers, mathematicians, or to a lesser degree, anyone who's ever worked with LEGO Technic stuff knows what I'm talking about). Whenever I encounter toys with simple gear and sprocket designs like this, one is likely to be muffed up every now and again. Seems like it also happens with ratchet joints on TFs more than I care to see.

Anyway, if movie Prime is messed up, I'd like to be able to fix it. JT, do you see any way to easily remove the lower forearm panel to get to the gear assembly? It's a simple recalibration on most toys, the problem is getting to the gears without destroying the toy.

Adam
05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't know how it is at other stores, but I know at Target, an employee can be fired for selling product out of the back that is street dated. I assume that is typically for thinks like electronics like DVD's, games, games systems and the like. I've never heard of someone being fired for breaking street date on toys, but we also don't get that a whole lot so its not out of the question.

Wasn't really trying to make you feel bad, sorry 'bout that.

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Do the Robot Heroes also have a 6/2 street date?

It looks like that's about all I'll be getting for the rest of the year, aside from the Prime, Megs, and Grimlock War Within Titaniums.

Tycho
05-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Here's a video of the New Optimus Prime (Leader Class) in action! Incidentally, it also illustrates why non-toy collectors think that we're psychopaths to be into this stuff. Pretty funny actually. (Prime takes on R2D2 in part of this video).
(link removed for swearing in video -JT)

Incidentally:

TARGET's RESET IS COMPLETE AT MY STORE. Transformers are going on the outermost isle. In the center is Star Wars, next to that, Marvel Legends, at the end is Spider-Man 3. Hasbro has a wall of wealth going there. The Transformers were not yet stocked (other than the Protoforms).

I did get Transformers "Stackers" in the food section. I got Optimus Prime's crackers, Turkey, and American Cheese. BumbleBee comes with cheddar. I didn't intend to purchase this, but it was Optimus Prime's cheese, alright?
Anyway, with a product like "Stackers," don't you think Ultra Magnus would be the best Autobot to represent? (and Devastator for a Decepticon?) But neither of those two are in the new movie - hence my Optimus Prime all-American cheese. I think it comes with a happy meal type of Transformers toy too, but I just bought it because Optimus Prime was on the package and I was going to get some cheese anyway.

Adam
05-16-2007, 04:28 PM
The guy in the video kinda scared me!

Chaddymac
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
The guy in the video kinda scared me!
I couldn't keep watching. I felt too much shame.

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Ok, I guess Adam is trying to make me feel bad here. Maybe someone can clear up this whole street date thing for me once and for all. What exactly are the consequences of "breaking" a street date, specifically in the toy industry? Are people really getting fired over this? Is Hasbro really in a position to penalize or sanction a retailer for selling something early?When a retailer is proven to have broken a street date that they're contractually bound to abide by, the contract has provisions to punish the retailer for their failure - generally it's a monetary fine. In April '99, I accidentally got Kmart in trouble with LEGO when I bought a TPM LEGO set there that had a paint defect that I asked LEGO to replace, the operator mentioned to me that Kmart shouldn't have done that and had to be reported - but they sent me my replacement parts promptly (mispainted heads).

Oh, and JT, a question about movie Prime: Does the arm cannon "flip-out" design seem to work as intended? Let me clarify: you have two basic positions you want the cannon to be in, one being the retracted, unarmed position, and the other being the extended, armed position. Between the two, in theory, you have 180 degrees of movement, right? Well from what I've noticed in pictures on some of the other reviewers' sites, the cannon never quite makes it all the way in either position. For the retracted position, the cannon should be parallel and flush against the forearm, but I'm not seeing that in most pictures. Looks like it even happens on yours too:

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=13739&cat=2424

Instead of going the full 180, it stops just short at like 177.

I know with sprocket and gear designs like this that they have to be installed a certain way for them to work properly. There are basically two ways to orient a sprocket while it's being installed: tooth (male) exactly due north, or a groove (female) exactly due north. Just that little change in orientation is enough to throw off the whole system (all you engineers, mathematicians, or to a lesser degree, anyone who's ever worked with LEGO Technic stuff knows what I'm talking about). Whenever I encounter toys with simple gear and sprocket designs like this, one is likely to be muffed up every now and again. Seems like it also happens with ratchet joints on TFs more than I care to see. I think the gears are properly lined up and if you slide it through its positions it will stop where you want it, but in the retracted position there's a small amount of play which lets the gun sag slightly in retracted position (if the arm is level or higher, the gun obviously won't sag though). The thing is a little unusual in the gearing, there's the rack gear that's the slider and the regular wheel gear under the gun, but between the wheel gear and the gun is a slip-plate that locks into the wheel gear in only 1 position, so you can't manually ratchet the gear.

Now in the extended "armed" position, as far as I can tell everything looks ok on yours:

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=13725&cat=2424

The cannon and forearm make a nice clean line. Yeah, it goes over the hand cleanly and I really appreciate that part working. Most of the other sites try to pose the hand and I suspect it causes the gun to stop a few degrees early - there actually IS enough room to pose the hand a little, but it's real easy to go past that and make it stick out.

Anyway, if movie Prime is messed up, I'd like to be able to fix it. JT, do you see any way to easily remove the lower forearm panel to get to the gear assembly? It's a simple recalibration on most toys, the problem is getting to the gears without destroying the toy.This is actually a separate panel, it's held together by 2 screws and maybe 1 stubby metal pin, but I think all you'll need to do is remove the screw which is acting as an axle for the round gear, slide out the gear and replace it with a new alignment in relation to the rack gear by 1 tooth. I dunno if that'll come up short when deployed though.

Here's a video of the New Optimus Prime (Leader Class) in action! Incidentally, it also illustrates why non-toy collectors think that we're psychopaths to be into this stuff. Pretty funny actually. (Prime takes on R2D2 in part of this video).Darn it, his automorph is slower than mine, I want mine to be slower like that! Oh well, no big loss I guess.

He sure blew it by not reading the instructions, took forever and he mangled the vehicle mode.

I had to pull the link 'cause he swore. :(

Tycho
05-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I had to pull the link 'cause he swore. :(

JediTricks fellow:

My name is Don Imus. :D Is it always necessary to pull the links many of our fellow forumites will enjoy because there are "words" (in that case twice I think - repetition of a word in the 1986 PG-13 cartoon movie as a matter of fact)? What's the protocal for that (as far as the site is concerned)?

Shouldn't exceptions be made for something as innoculous (is that the right word) as those two usages of that word in a video of this nature (a guy transforming a toy)?

Is there a way to rip the video and "bleep" the two offending words for reposting of it? Is that hard to do? An infringement of the "copyright" of the original video's publisher?

seanmcfripp
05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Today's been a fun Transformers day for me. A local department store in my neck of the woods called "Boscov's" put out a bunch of TF movie stuff, so I picked up Jazz and Barricade. Of course when I get back to work, the new trailer is online, and I'm having a blast watching it over and over again. What a 180 I've done with Starscream. I was right there in the beginning with hating the monkey design, but the more I see him in action, the more I'm understanding the choice of a simian-like design. He does some crazy stuff in the trailer. I'm even liking his toy, the more I see of it. Anyway, here's a quick review of Jazz and Barricade:

Jazz
My initial impression of the toy from online pictures was that Jazz was going to be too bulky. After seeing him in person though and actually getting him transformed properly (something most sites have totally muffed in their galleries), I don't think he's bulky at all, and in fact I find him to be one of the cooler Deluxes I've acquired in quite some time. There are disks on the outside of his ankles that are meant to simulate wheels, keeping in line with the actual movie design, but the instructions don't indicate that they have to be rotated in such a way that they touch the ground. There's even a little tab on the disk the fits into little notches on the outside of his foot when it's rotated around properly. If this little part of the transformation isn't done, the mid part of his lower leg looks too "fat."

The automorph feature works nicely, where you push the roof portion of the car into his back, his head then pops up and his chest/grille pops into place. I also love the light piping effect for his visor. Funny thing how light piping on TF toys either works great or it totally sucks. Anyway, he's got a nifty gun/sword combo, and the trunk can pop off his back to make a shield for his shoulder. For anyone that's worried, the trunk looks good either way, not overly obtrusive on his back, and actually pretty functional as a shield on his shoulder. Some of the promo still photos show that he has a mini gattling gun in the film, so I would liked to have seen that on the toy somewhere, but since Hasbro strayed from the design of the sword from the film and went with a gun/sword hybrid, I'm ok with we got instead.

I do have to gripe about the arms though. The forearms are lame as all get out. You get two panels that kind of flop around and don't come together in any meaningful way. Very lazy design.

The car looks great, and while the deco may appear plain at first, closer inspection reveals a few nice little paint apps to bring out the detail. I particularly like the thin silver paint app around the edge of the rims to break up the black between the tire and the rest of the wheel. The Solstice seems a bit big and bit wide when compared to Barricade's Mustang, but they're close enough in scale to where it's not all that big of a deal.

Overall, he's a great toy. Nicely articulated, very sturdy, and fun to play with. And he surprisingly looks a lot like the Jazz we've all known and loved over the last 20 years. Definitely not the worst $10 you'll ever spend.

Barricade
Like Jazz, my initial impressions were not so great after seeing online pictures of the Decepticons' Hunter/Scout. And again, most folks taking the photos are muffing up the transformation. The thing people don't or can't seem to realize is that Barricade is designed just like the other movie Decepticons, in that he's meant to look and move like an alien monster. All of the film's baddies have an animal-like look and feel to them, and Barricade is no different. With that in mind, the end result of the toy design is fantastic. A lot of folks are griping that the knee design is bad and he can't stand up straight. Uh no, he's got weird alien legs that make him all crouchy and pouncy (very appropriate for a quick strike character like Barricade), and the toy follows the movie's design very well. Once you understand that he's not really supposed to be able to stand up straight and that the articulation in the legs is doing what it's supposed to do, you can pose him like crazy. And don't forget to flip up the little pieces on his toes.

Another gripe I hear is that his arms are too long. Again, I think folks aren't really looking at the character as he appears in the film. He's definitely got long arms, and really long fingers that sprout out from behind two car wheels. The toy reflects this nicely. Sure, there's a bit more bumper from the back end of the car that ends up just under his hands in robot mode, but if you separate the thumb and fingers (again, something most online pictures screw up), he looks very close to his movie counterpart. No one seems to be doing anything with the wheels on his shoulders either for some reason. The shoulder wheels are on a ball joint and can moved into several interesting positions. I like rotating the wheels inward, then bending them out a few degrees to get a nice angular look. The spring loaded punching feature on the left arm is nice little bonus, and otherwise totally unobtrusive.

Yet another gripe I hear: The chest is too wide. Not so. After you spit the hood apart as far as it will go, then the head pops up, then you can then slide the hood almost all the way back together. There's a support piece behind his head that fits over the hood nicely and keeps everything in place. Oh, and for some of you who've asked, yes, Frenzy can be kept in his chest in robot mode. Frenzy, BTW, is a nice sturdy little figure and makes a cool little weapon. I can just imagine Barricade cornering some poor Autobot, then spitting this nasty little thing out of his chest to do some damage.

And don't let me forget his car mode. Ahhh, the Mustang. What a sweet, totally impractical car. The first time I saw one of those leaked, on-set pictures of the 'stang, I immediately thought of Mad Max's black-on-black Falcon Interceptor from the first Mad Max movie. The latest generation Mustang has many of the same lines as those fabulous old first generation Mustangs/Torinos/Falcons. The black on black paint job for Barricade seals the deal for me. I get all goosebumpy at the thought of Michael Bay shooting this car like George Miller did way back when for the original Mad Max. I can't wait to see this thing tearing down the road, the movie theater's speakers overloading with sounds of rumbling V-8s. Meanwhile, the toy is about as detailed and accurate as you can expect from a TF at the Deluxe pricepoint. When he's parked on my desk, something just drives me pick him up and start zooming him around.

All in all, Barricade is awesome. I wish he had a ranged weapon of some kind, but I guess that really would fit his role as a scout/hunter. I'd be happier maybe if Hasbro tried to work in that spinny claw thing he's supposed to do in the film, but the spring-loaded punching gimmick is a nice substitute. With his eyes glowing red (again, really good light piping), he looks really nifty standing on my desk. I can almost hear Keith David's voice growling at me, "Where is the Allspark?!" A very, very cool toy.

So, my first two movie toys, and I'm stoked. I can't wait for the rest.

JetsAndHeels
05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the great reviews sean. I am looking forward to getting some of these toys once they hit here also. I passed on the preview ones..they just didn't appeal to me at all, but when the regular line hits I am definately going to get some of those.

Adam
05-18-2007, 01:18 AM
I picked up Jazz, Bumblee, Barricade and Wreckage after work today. They are ok, not great but not bad either.

Adam
05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Hasbro has a series of non-transforming movie based action figures on the way. I was mildly interested at first, but now it appears these figures are pretty much Revoltechs and now I'm very interested in them

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=134296

plasticfetish
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I was mildly interested at first, but now it appears these figures are pretty much Revoltechs and now I'm very interested in themHmmm, be cool if we could see the back of the card, to see if they're really Revoltech, or just a Hasbro version. If they're the "real deal" I'm all for 'em... if they're a knock-off of the idea, I'll pass.

JetsAndHeels
05-21-2007, 05:38 PM
If they're the "real deal" I'm all for 'em... if they're a knock-off of the idea, I'll pass.

I agree..I like the look of these, and would definately buy them if they are Revoltech.

figrin bran
05-21-2007, 11:01 PM
check out the grin on Robot Heroes Megs (sorry if this pic has been posted before) http://tformers.net/g/albums/7672/rh01.jpg

El Chuxter
05-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Awwwww, he's just the cutest widdle intergalactic despot, idn't he?

JediTricks
05-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Picked up 3 more at Target, they had Scorponok too but I just can't bring myself to do it. I also ordered Brawl & Barricade from HasbroToyShop with the 25% off and free shipping coupon code: FNFSPR7

Anyway, my thoughts on the 3 in-hand:

Transformers Movie Bumblebee - interesting ideas that really can't fully deliver as a deluxe, car mode is nice but too many seams, pointless automorph, opaque instead of trans is a sucktastic choice, robot mode has some interesting stuff but is kinda ugly overall.

Transformers Movie Jazz - not to scale with Bumblebee unfortunately, slightly bigger in both modes than it should be. Car mode is nice but no rear window is lame and weapon is not integrated so it snaps onto spoiler. Transform is decent, automorph kinda a wash. Bot mode has nifty lookin' bulky legs but stumpy torso, crappy arms, kinda goofy head; ok articulation. Arms totally doom this thing.

Transformers Movie Wreckage - decent alt mode, messy undercarriage, snow colors are kinda "meh", transform is simple in theory but has some keen stuff going on, automorph is kinda just "there", bot mode is very slick with cool weapons and a big gun in his chest, but the head is always looking 30 degrees down. Only thing that's movie-like is his hands.

BountyHunterScum
05-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok we have ourselves a little s**t sandwich this year too. SDCC Exclusives will be available on Hasbrotoyshop. I hope I can score the Alternator Rodimus this time unlike last year.

Transformers Alternators Ford GT Rodimus
Transformers Titanium Menasor
G.I.JOE Destro figures (Pimp Daddy Destro)
Battlestar Galactica Titanium vehicle 3pack
Star Wars Obi-Wan & Yoda w/ collector coin
Star Wars 501st Legion R2-KT
Stan Lee Marvel Legends (http://www.toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=212&itemid=11315#)
She-Hulk (presumbly their Legends figure...maybe FF costume?)

Adam
05-24-2007, 08:45 PM
I have no faith in hasbrotoyshop.com and doubt I will even try to get Rodimus from them.

Tycho
05-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Rodimus should be called Hot Rod, if it were not for Hasbro screwing up with their hold on copyrighted names.

Hot Rod is an idiotic character who's interference got Optimus Prime killed in the 1986 movie, and somehow, as Rodimus Prime, with all the wisdom of the Matrix, couldn't figure out how to do anything but hope Optimus came back (which he did) to get Rodimus out of the jam he got the Autobots into.

"Until all are dumb!" - He even got that quote wrong!

There's a great video of this called, "The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime," which I'm sure most of you have seen. I can't link to it because of the dirty language. But Optimus says it best, "You've run this organization into the ground, HOT ROD! Give me back that $#@#!@! Matrix!"

Anyway, the Ford GT mold was designed to be Mirage and it is one of the best Alternators I own. I don't own any repaints (save for Sunstreaker who is refitted to a large degree) and I will be buying MPE Skywarp. However, I cringe at getting Hot Rod (when I was a kid I thought he was cool, I admit - but even then I didn't like Rodimus Prime).

I doubt I'd get anything Gen 1.5.

Ultra Magnus would be really complicated to do right. The MPE repaint of Prime was a load of crap even if Prime is the single best Transformer ever made.

Springer, needs to be done if they do Gen 1.5 and he needs to be a Triple-Changer. Only a MPE would get the size of the chopper right. But I just don't see it happening. I liked the character, but was he really that popular with others?

Anyway, if some kind of Gen 1.5 evolves that I actually like, I'll punish myself by buying Hot Rod sometime in 2009 or something.

UPDATE: TFW2005 has videos of the Ultimate BumbleBee in action.
1) The Ultimate DumbleBee (not a spelling error) is transforming him.
2) His car mode making coughing sounds.
3) His robot mode dancing and playing "Whip It," talking - it's kind of cute actually.

I'm not really down for buying this. Almost everyone on TFW's forums are saying they'll wait until clearance sales or won't budge on this at all.

seanmcfripp
05-29-2007, 02:41 PM
My local Target got in the Voyager and Leader class stuff last night, so I decided to pick them up and get some people fired. :D Actually, I was suprised to see the stock guy bring out Ironhide and Starscream, as I seem to remember all the June 2nd intel reports stating that Ratchet and Blackout make up wave 1. He checked all the Voyager cases and said they were all Ironhide and Screamer, so go figure. Anyhoo, quicky thoughts on them:

Ironhide: I thought this would be one of my favorites, and while he is a very cool figure, I ended up liking Starscream more. The Top Kick mode is awesome, and Ironhide very well may be king of the redneckmobiles when it's all said and done. Lot'sa folks in my neck of the woods are gonna march down to the local Chevy/GMC dealership and wonder why they can't buy one of these things. I can't wait to see someone do up a school bus in an Ironhide deco. His bot mode is pretty slick too, but I'm not too crazy about his feet. They look great, but they're not as sturdy or as poseable as I'd like, thanx to the automorph feature (which works great btw). The floppiness of the hood/doors that make up his shoulder armor is a bit of a let down too. His arm weapons are pretty spiffy though, and the overall look of his bot form is nicely done.

Starscream: There's really no reason why this thing shouldn't be deemed one of the worst alt modes ever. You basically have a jet-like vehicle with some F-22 details on top, and absolutely nothing that resembles a jet underneath. There are no thrusters or intakes. There are two huge cannon/claw type weapons under the wings, which go completely against the real life Raptor's internal weapons design. You have a big robot head sticking out of the back. This has got to be the most kibbly, least aerodynamic TF plane Hasbro has ever come up with. And yet, I can't stop playing with the stupid thing. I've been swooshing it around all morning. I can't really describe why I like it so much, it's like it just kinda feels good in my hands or something. And as much as my brain tells me how much it sucks, my eyes keep telling me how cool it looks. Go figure. Anyway, his monkey mode is really cool too. Nicely articulated, and very sturdy. Make sure you bump the shoulders up into place. Most TF sites seem to be forgetting that part, making him look extra monkey as a result. The claw/missile hands work surprisingly well. With the missiles plugged in, they actually do a pretty good job of approximating fingers, especially as seen in the movie design. I really thought I was going to hate Starscream, and I really should hate him, but for some reason, he's great.

Prime: Can't say much more than all the other great reviews out there. A very, very cool toy. BTW, the flip out arm cannon feature works great.

JetsAndHeels
05-29-2007, 03:15 PM
My local WM had put out some of the new TF toys Sunday night...they placed the cyber stompin figs and some of the regular deluxe ones...I went back yesterday and they were all gone. Guess someone noticed or tried to buy and then the workers returned them to the stockroom.
That's ok, I can wait until Saturday.

I did however pick up the Optimus Prime Classic Voyager figure.

El Chuxter
05-29-2007, 03:51 PM
I saw Blackout and Jazz at a KB over the weekend, if anyone still gives a carp about these.

Beast
06-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Anyone collecting the Transformers Robot Heroes should know that Wal-Mart's going to have an exclusive 5-Pack of Repaints. It comes with Metallic versions of Optimus and Megatron, a Hologram version of Mirage, Skywarp (repainted Starscream), and Cliffjumper (repainted Bumblebee). Pretty cool set if you're getting these. Just thought I'd pass it along. :)

http://hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=ps_results&product_id=20193

JetsAndHeels
06-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info Beast.

I am really liking the look of the titaniums also. I'll definately get some of those tomorrow morning.

figrin bran
06-01-2007, 11:52 PM
The metallic Robot Heroes set looks pretty good...too bad my local WM's won't get them in as they never seem to get in any of the exclusives.

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Just got back from making a walmart and target run...neither store had any of the figs out, but I did get the prime/ravage rh 2 pack. I will check back later at another walmart, guess I was there too early for them

Tycho
06-02-2007, 09:16 AM
I went to Wal-Mart to check them out. They'd stocked everything by the time I arrived - about 4am. (No new Star Wars had come in though).

Here are my thoughts: I liked the non-Transforming Cyber-Stomper big talking toys for the kids the best. I love how it shouts: "I am OPTIMUS PRIME!" I talked along with it while passing employees thought I was crazy. But a girl who was stocking came by and joined me and together we were saying (in unison with Prime): "Autobots: transform and roll out!" And we played with the Voice Changer helmet too - which sounds even LESS like Peter Cullen (that man IS Optimus Prime)!

Anyway, I like stuff being to scale with each other and not having a lot of kibble.

Barely OK in size:

Leader Optimus Prime
BumbleBee
Jazz
Ironhide
Ratchet
Barricade

- you could buy all of the above and have a fairly in-scale collection.

Needing Leader Class Size or even a Deluxe Leader Class size:

Megatron (no toys of him were present btw - the only one missing)
Starscream
Blackout w/ Scorponok
Brawl
BoneCrusher

- It might be possible to buy the above toys and get MiniCons of Jazz, BumbleBee, Ratchet, Ironhide to go with them. I'm not sure if a Voyager-size Optimus Prime (also not there) would then be appropriate. But the MiniCon figures I've seen really suck.

I like my solution better: hold on for Alternators of the Autobots and MPEs of the Decepticons or don't bother buying anything (except for stock in Hasbro because they're obviously doing well with retail stores ordering quantities like what I saw (of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four stuff (not stocked yet) as well.

All this being said, I spent 1/2 hour looking at the figures in detail. Enough so I wouldn't have to go to Target later (there's nothing they'll get in which I'll need in so far as Star Wars right now, so....)

Ironhide, Ratchet - very impressive actually. I like their look. Ironhide's kibble doesn't seem too irritating to me. I like him in black.

BumbleBee - alright. I could live with that if I hadn't seen Alternators that were better.

Jazz - he's kind of large and fat for a car, isn't he? I thought a Solstace was small?

Leader Prime? - maybe he ought to be sturdier quality. I played with him in his Try-Me packaging, but the Cyber-Stomper impressed me more.

Starscream - really pathetic kibble. This one's not cool.

Blackout - might be cool if there was a collection he was scaled to. I'd love a MPE of this character.

Brawl - too small for a deluxe. I've heard there would be a Leader (or was it Voyager Class?) figure on the horizon. This is necessary for a combat tank.

Barricade - he's pretty good except his hands or lack of, are horrible. Wal-Mart had their exclusive 2-pack vs. BumbleBee so I could see him in robot form. Barricade would be impressive but his hands ruin the figure.

BoneCrusher - never should be a Deluxe figure. He needs to be Voyager-Class at least. It's a nice design though. People who aren't concerned with a uniform scale will probably like this figure.

Scorponok - Deluxe. I didn't see him. Morbid curiousity made me slightly interested. I'd never transform him into a robot, but I wonder how his scale would match up with my Alternator cars. So purchasing him remains a possbility.

They had the Real Gear which was interesting, but not inspiring of a purchase. Equally rating were the Robot Heroes. I looked at some other stuff for kids which launched missles - Brawl was featured amongst them.

In any case, MPE Skywarp remains the only planned purchase of mine that I have for Transformers in the near future.

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm planning to get Jazz & Bumblebee...the rest of the deluxes I can pass on for now.

I will also get some of those titaniums. I love the look of them, from the hasbro website at least.

Adam
06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Picked up a few things:

"Robovision Prime" - Not quite as shiny as I thought he'd be but still better looking than the regular voyager. Transformation was pretty easy. Although slightly back heavy, mine doesn't have standing issues. I saw the leader Prime as well, he is ok, but doesn't impress me enough to part with 40 of my dollars.

Ironhide - Don't like him as much as I thought. He is back heavy and his feet don't really lock in to place so he can easily fall backwards if not posed right. His hood peices around his head are on springs and I'm not too fond of how they rest there.

Starscream - I had heard good things about him so decided to pick him up. Kinda wished I hadn't. He is allright, but I still think he looks bland, like they took the proto and added some black in places and called it a day. I'm not sure what Tycho is talking about with kibble, one thing this figure does do nicely is fold up all the peices so that there isn't any kibble.

Longview - This is an awesome little guy, and well worth the 7 bucks.

Snapshot - Again, another neat little figure in the real gear line, although I don't like him quite as much as Longview. He doesn't have a faction symbol and although the package says he's a 'bot, I think of him as Reflector.

Booster - Laserbeak! Seriously they should have just called him that. If/when I get a MP Megs, this guy is going on his arm.

Tycho
06-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Picked up a few things:

Starscream - I had heard good things about him so decided to pick him up. Kinda wished I hadn't. He is allright, but I still think he looks bland, like they took the proto and added some black in places and called it a day. I'm not sure what Tycho is talking about with kibble, one thing this figure does do nicely is fold up all the peices so that there isn't any kibble.

Kibble is usually defined as vehicle parts sticking out on the robot. Starscream is the opposite. He is a fighter jet with huge arms and legs tucked underneath him instead of streamlining into a fighter jet shape.

Booster - Laserbeak! Seriously they should have just called him that. If/when I get a MP Megs, this guy is going on his arm.

Now that sounds cool. I'll have to take a better look for Booster the next time I'm in a toy section. I didn't see him this time, but I really didn't look through the real gear that hard.

Adam
06-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Kibble is usually defined as vehicle parts sticking out on the robot. Starscream is the opposite. He is a fighter jet with huge arms and legs tucked underneath him instead of streamlining into a fighter jet shape.

Ah, now I get it. My thing is, once I get them out of their packages, I rarely tf them back into their alt mods, I'm far more interested in their robot forms. But you are correct about his alt mode, its certainly not the best in the line.

Picked up a couple more:

Voyager Blackout: Not as big in robot mode as I expected. I used to hate they way this guy looked untill I found out his backpack kibble was removable. Looks tons better without it.

Voyager Ratchet: I think I swore awhile back I wouldn't get this guy but release fever has me and I gave in. And I'm glad I did! He is actually my favorite of the movie figures ( not counting real gears ). Unlike Ironhide and Prime he's not back heavy. His axe looks a little lame but its still a neat feature to go with his sheild/grabberclawthing. If they end up making the classic red and white colored repaint, I'll probably refer to this guy as Brawn and disreguard that he is an emergency vehicle. :P

On a similar note, the obvious Ironhide repaint would be a red one, so I would probably refer to the black one as Trailbreaker at that point. :P

Adam
06-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Also in case you missed it, here's some pics ofan upcoming real gear and some deluxes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=135783

Longarm looks pretty decent, I'll probably get him. Can't really tell about Payload, and FB Jazz looks like a repaint so I'll most likely skip. '08 BB will be bought. Arcee looked pretty bad in earlier pictures and doesn't look much better here. Dreadwing can rot.

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Just got back from my afternoon out..hit wm and target again, this time they had finally stocked the TF merchandise. I hauled in the following items:

Optimus Prime Robovision (target)-this was sort of my "escape clause" so i wouldnt drop the $45 on the movie leader prime figure. Haven't opened it yet, but I like the look of it alot

Deluxe Jazz
Deluxe Bumblebee

Robot Heroes Optimus prime/ravage
Robot Heroes bumblebee/soundwave

I didn't see any of the new titaniums at either place..hopefully those are on their way bc i really like the look of them.

DarkArtist
06-02-2007, 05:58 PM
went to wally world this morning and picked up Opti-Mash Prime potato head. was thinking of going to Target and getting the transformable plush optimus and bumblebee as well.

figrin bran
06-02-2007, 10:32 PM
I went to Wal-Mart to check them out. They'd stocked everything by the time I arrived - about 4am. (No new Star Wars had come in though).

Here are my thoughts: I liked the non-Transforming Cyber-Stomper big talking toys for the kids the best. I love how it shouts: "I am OPTIMUS PRIME!" I talked along with it while passing employees thought I was crazy. But a girl who was stocking came by and joined me and together we were saying (in unison with Prime): "Autobots: transform and roll out!" And we played with the Voice Changer helmet too - which sounds even LESS like Peter Cullen (that man IS Optimus Prime)!

right on Tycho! i actually kinda liked the Cyber Stomper Prime and might get one if it ever goes on sale.

i picked up all of the Robot Heroes sets. if you guys haven't gotten them yet, try to buy them at TRU as they're only $4.99 there. WM has them at 5.88 and Target at 5.99. my favorites are Shockwave and Ravage.

i also picked up a Brawl since it looks like it might fit in with the rest of my TF's. i actually stopped by my local Target twice today just to see if they might restock on TAC+Saga Legends and all the Robovision Primes were sold out as were the Deluxes and Voyagers.

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I wanted to get the optimus/unicron robot heroes set but didnt see it. I will check again for it tomorrow while I am out.

Also, FB did your stores have the new movie titaniums? I want those but couldn't find them today.

Kidhuman
06-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I saw the Bumblebee Unleahsed today, thought it was cool. I might go and buy the Potoato Head Prime, it looks much better than Spudder-man

figrin bran
06-02-2007, 11:15 PM
I wanted to get the optimus/unicron robot heroes set but didnt see it. I will check again for it tomorrow while I am out.

Also, FB did your stores have the new movie titaniums? I want those but couldn't find them today.

Heels, i didn't see any Optimus/Unicron or Thundercracker/Jazz. and apparently, i forgot to buy Mirage/Starscream.

none of the stores i went to had the movie titaniums even though they had pegs for them.

also, i forgot to mention, at the $1 bins at Target, they have some TF movie stuff...magnets, pencils, stickers, tatoos, frisbees, drawstring sacks. i picked up some of the sacks and magnets.

seanmcfripp
06-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Did anyone else notice kids going nuts to get this stuff? I hit up two Targets and a Toys R Us throughout the course of my Saturday (hoping I'd luck into a Megatron), and all three stores were mobbed with parents and kids buying up Transformers movie stuff. The second Target I hit was actually later in the day, around 2:30, and I kid you not, they had sold through every single Deluxe they had. Unbelievable. Hasbro must have marketed this June 2nd toy release thing perfectly through commercials, because everyone in those toy aisles (kids and parents alike) knew exactly what they were looking for, calling out characters by their specific names. And dang if the Bumblebee thing didn't stick...every gd kid wanted a Bumblebee. I heard Jazz's and Barricade's name a few times too.

plasticfetish
06-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Did anyone else notice kids going nuts to get this stuff?TFs have always been a hit with the kids, but whenever there's a show, and in this case a big movie, to go along with the toys, it's just that much more exciting. (Worst mistake they ever made, was downplaying the cartoons and putting them on at weird times, etc.)

-----

Visited a local TRU yesterday, and they had a huge wall display for the line. Target has everything out as well. My son went to a birthday party yesterday, and there were a few new Transformers given as gifts. :)

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Just picked up Barricade at WM. I passed on him yesterday on my first trip, but after looking at him today I figured it was worth the purchase. Hopefully I do not change my mind once I open him.

figrin bran
06-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Heels and anyone else who bought any TF toys yesterday at Target, the prices have gone down for the week so you can go get price adjustments.

JetsAndHeels
06-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Heels and anyone else who bought any TF toys yesterday at Target, the prices have gone down for the week so you can go get price adjustments.

Thanks i appreciate that info.

Beast
06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Apperantly from what I'm hearing... the Optimus Prime w/ Matrix of Leadership / Unicron and Jazz / Skywarp Robot Heroes are showing up in limited quanities at some stores. So it's much like what happened with the Spider-Man SHS packs of Spider-Man / Dr. Octopus and Spider-Man / Rhino sets that were only turning up at Toys R Us at first.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
US-release G1-colored Masterpiece Starscream: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=135639
The red really shows off how long his torso is, looks weird. Still, US release, yay!

I decided I had to see the toys on June 2nd, ended up buying Ironhide and Ratchet. There were NO deluxes anywhere I went, that size is primo popular! No Leader Primes either, except 1 goback at TRU. Voyagers were very easy to find at TRU, only 1 at Target. Everybody had tons of Real Gear and Legends and Cyber Slammers and FABs. Target had a lot of the exclusive Cybertron repaint basics, nobody was noticing them at all. Target's price for Real Gear is cheaper than TRU's by a buck.

Ironhide is kinda interesting, I don't like the Topkick C4500 conversion even a little and Hasbro left HUGE junk hanging underneath in the form of the weapons which serves also to unbalance the look of the rear which is lacking support for the rear axle. But it's alright, and it looks good in scale with Bumblebee and alright with Optimus. Transformation is a mess in part because Hasbro has you do stuff that's not really in the right order - the first is flipping the front bumper down, you have to lift off the damn hood panels before it will move but they don't move them for a while. Automorph moves a lot of pieces in the lower leg which is cool but the left foot doesn't lock down enough. Bot mode is a Decepticon, no questions, they're just wrong. The face is nasty looking and it's got an aggressive stance. The figure's ok but too fragile, you have to think before picking up and I hate that. The back kibble is excessive but if you don't mind a long cape can be hugged closer with some creative aligning. The chest kibble is totally unacceptable though, these huge panels springing next to his head so he can't see anything that's not straight in front of him. It's the kind of figure I worried this line would produce, it's ok but problematic.

Ironhide made me notice something about the scale of the line so far. Jazz is out of scale to Bumblebee, but in scale to Leader-class Prime. Ironhide is out of scale to Prime, but in scale to Bumblebee. So Jazz & Prime look right together, while BB and Ironhide look right together. But BB & Ironhide don't look bad with Prime, yet they do with Jazz.

I also bought Ratchet - he's going back to the store, Hasbro messed up a panel and it keeps falling off, I don't like this figure much at all so they can hand me cash instead. Ratchet's alt mode is ok but too many obvious seams. Transformation is nutty and the Automorph is downright crap. Bot mode is too simplistic and too much kibble gets in the way of being an ok figure. The claw weapon downright sucks. I don't like Ratchet's head sculpt. The axe is unimpressive.

Ok we have ourselves a little s**t sandwich this year too. SDCC Exclusives will be available on Hasbrotoyshop. I hope I can score the Alternator Rodimus this time unlike last year.

I have no faith in hasbrotoyshop.com and doubt I will even try to get Rodimus from them.Adam has the right idea, just because HTS claims they'll have something, you cannot count on them for SDCC exclusives. Last year, it was Alternators Nemesis Prime, they had a banner ad for him on their page for a week and then the show comes and goes and he NEVER went online. DO NOT COUNT ON HTS!

My local Target got in the Voyager and Leader class stuff last night, so I decided to pick them up and get some people fired. :D Actually, I was suprised to see the stock guy bring out Ironhide and Starscream, as I seem to remember all the June 2nd intel reports stating that Ratchet and Blackout make up wave 1. He checked all the Voyager cases and said they were all Ironhide and Screamer, so go figure.That's because wave 2 is also out, both Voyager and Deluxe.

Ironhide: His bot mode is pretty slick too, but I'm not too crazy about his feet. They look great, but they're not as sturdy or as poseable as I'd like, thanx to the automorph feature (which works great btw). The floppiness of the hood/doors that make up his shoulder armor is a bit of a let down too. The right foot on mine locks down making it sturdy enough. The left foot there's something wrong, I popped it 1 tooth in the gear and it locks down with the heel pointed further down, not really useful. I totally agree about the floppy hood/doors chest.

Starscream: There's really no reason why this thing shouldn't be deemed one of the worst alt modes ever. You basically have a jet-like vehicle with some F-22 details on top, and absolutely nothing that resembles a jet underneath. There are no thrusters or intakes. There are two huge cannon/claw type weapons under the wings, which go completely against the real life Raptor's internal weapons design. You have a big robot head sticking out of the back. This has got to be the most kibbly, least aerodynamic TF plane Hasbro has ever come up with. Alt mode means a lot to me, which is one of the reasons I had no trouble passing on this one. Glad to hear I made the right call.

Here are my thoughts: I liked the non-Transforming Cyber-Stomper big talking toys for the kids the best. I love how it shouts: "I am OPTIMUS PRIME!" I talked along with it while passing employees thought I was crazy. But a girl who was stocking came by and joined me and together we were saying (in unison with Prime): "Autobots: transform and roll out!" Dude, you make me sick. :p Cyber-stomper indeed.

Barely OK in size:

Leader Optimus Prime
BumbleBee
Jazz
Ironhide
Ratchet
Barricade

- you could buy all of the above and have a fairly in-scale collection.Except not, because Leader Prime is in Jazz and Ratchet's scale while Bumblebee is in Ironhide and Barricade's scale. They can play in the same sandbox, but technically they're different.

Needing Leader Class Size or even a Deluxe Leader Class size:There is no such thing as a "deluxe leader class", the class after $40 Leader is called "Super" and is $50.

Megatron (no toys of him were present btw - the only one missing)I don't think he's shipping yet, haven't seen any sightings.

Starscream
Blackout w/ Scorponok
Brawl
BoneCrusher

- It might be possible to buy the above toys and get MiniCons of Jazz, BumbleBee, Ratchet, Ironhide to go with them. I'm not sure if a Voyager-size Optimus Prime (also not there) would then be appropriate. But the MiniCon figures I've seen really suck.There are no minicons, only Legends figures which are something altogether different.

I like my solution better: hold on for Alternators of the Autobots and MPEs of the Decepticons or don't bother buying anything (except for stock in Hasbro because they're obviously doing well with retail stores ordering quantities like what I saw (of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four stuff (not stocked yet) as well.How is that a solution? It's never going to happen.

Ironhide, Ratchet - very impressive actually. I like their look. Ironhide's kibble doesn't seem too irritating to me. I like him in black.The packaging photo downplays that kibble in bot mode, and I don't like the kibble in vehicle mode.

Jazz - he's kind of large and fat for a car, isn't he? I thought a Solstace was small?It is, he's a bigger scale than Bumblebee, in the movie he's the smallest bot at 13', 3 feet shorter than BB.

Leader Prime? - maybe he ought to be sturdier quality. I played with him in his Try-Me packaging, but the Cyber-Stomper impressed me more.You have no idea what you're talking about, he's extremely sturdy and unbelievably cool.

Starscream - really pathetic kibble. This one's not cool.Agreed.

Blackout - might be cool if there was a collection he was scaled to. I'd love a MPE of this character.Never going to happen.

BoneCrusher - never should be a Deluxe figure. He needs to be Voyager-Class at least. It's a nice design though. People who aren't concerned with a uniform scale will probably like this figure.I hear he's a good dlx figure, I am still trying to track him down.

Scorponok - Deluxe. I didn't see him. Morbid curiousity made me slightly interested. I'd never transform him into a robot, but I wonder how his scale would match up with my Alternator cars. So purchasing him remains a possbility. Seek professional help for your mental disorder. As a side note, TRU has a 2pack of Blackout & dlx Scorponok for $25, you can see him there, he sucks, nobody wants this 2pack even though Scorponok can attach out-of-scale to Blackout's belly and use the gearing that spins Blackout's rotors to also spin his claws.

In any case, MPE Skywarp remains the only planned purchase of mine that I have for Transformers in the near future.What about US-release Masterpiece Starscream?

"Robovision Prime" - Not quite as shiny as I thought he'd be but still better looking than the regular voyager. Transformation was pretty easy. Although slightly back heavy, mine doesn't have standing issues. I saw the leader Prime as well, he is ok, but doesn't impress me enough to part with 40 of my dollars.You chose poorly, Leader Prime is the awesomest! And his transformation is more movie-accurate than Voyager Prime's even though Voyager Prime does more pretending at looking like the movie version.

Ironhide - Don't like him as much as I thought. He is back heavy and his feet don't really lock in to place so he can easily fall backwards if not posed right. His hood peices around his head are on springs and I'm not too fond of how they rest there.Agreed.

Kibble is usually defined as vehicle parts sticking out on the robot. Starscream is the opposite. He is a fighter jet with huge arms and legs tucked underneath him instead of streamlining into a fighter jet shape.Kibble can be robot parts pointlessly visible in alt mode as well, so Screamer suffers heavy kibble in alt mode to the point of pain.

Now that sounds cool. I'll have to take a better look for Booster the next time I'm in a toy section. I didn't see him this time, but I really didn't look through the real gear that hard.He's from wave 2, not all stores are getting them yet.

Voyager Blackout: Not as big in robot mode as I expected. I used to hate they way this guy looked untill I found out his backpack kibble was removable. Looks tons better without it.Good or no?

Voyager Ratchet: I think I swore awhile back I wouldn't get this guy but release fever has me and I gave in. And I'm glad I did! He is actually my favorite of the movie figures ( not counting real gears ). Unlike Ironhide and Prime he's not back heavy. His axe looks a little lame but its still a neat feature to go with his sheild/grabberclawthing. If they end up making the classic red and white colored repaint, I'll probably refer to this guy as Brawn and disreguard that he is an emergency vehicle. :PThey are doing a rerelease in white & red. I don't like this figure.

Also in case you missed it, here's some pics ofan upcoming real gear and some deluxes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=135783

Longarm looks pretty decent, I'll probably get him. I really like how Longarm looks, but I would have preferred him a Decepticon. I'll definitely get him.

Can't really tell about Payload, and FB Jazz looks like a repaint so I'll most likely skip. '08 BB will be bought. Arcee looked pretty bad in earlier pictures and doesn't look much better here. Dreadwing can rot.Payload, you're right, no idea. FB Jazz sadly does seem to be a repaint, I was hoping for new forearm design at least. '08 BB has always been a Go. I suspect Dreadwing isn't as bad as you folks are making out.

Optimus Prime Robovision (target)-this was sort of my "escape clause" so i wouldnt drop the $45 on the movie leader prime figure. Haven't opened it yet, but I like the look of it alotGet Leader Prime, he's $40 of excellent!

right on Tycho! i actually kinda liked the Cyber Stomper Prime and might get one if it ever goes on sale. NO! Bad! :p

I saw the Bumblebee Unleahsed today, thought it was cool. NO! Bad!

Heels and anyone else who bought any TF toys yesterday at Target, the prices have gone down for the week so you can go get price adjustments.Rats! The only 1 I bought at Target I'm returning 'cause of a defect and he sucks. Maybe I can find receipts for Dlxs I bought last month.

Beast
06-04-2007, 04:06 PM
No love for the Robot Heroes, JT?

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Anyone seen the WM exclusive set of Robot Heroes yet?

Adam
06-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Too bad about Ratchet, I actually like him quite a bit.

As for Blackout, I do like him, but if you take off his backpack in robotmode, he's pretty much a deluxe figure. So its hard for me to recommend him.

I still don't care for leader Prime.

Tycho
06-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I love my Japanese version of MP Starscream, JT. It was a calculated move to import him in spite of rumors back then that Hasbro would update him in traditional Starscream colors. I wanted something closer to a real fighter jet's look.

I've been having a big fight on my hands with people at TFW2005 who insist he's green. :rolleyes:

I just make trouble wherever I go...

Anyway, Starscream will make trouble as well. I've posted that a Transformers friend of mine from MySpace broke his Starscream's wing joints from stress fracturing due to repeated transformations. So I only changed him to a robot once and then left him as I want him posed for my battle diorama display. I like that he is a real Transformer and could change back into a jet if absolutely necessary, but mine is mint / loose and in perfect condition, so I'd rather not press my luck.

But as a toy, Hasbro is in for some complaints with breakages with this one for people who aren't so aptly warned. And it's an expensive toy to break. Mine was $97.12 total (shipped etc.) from Japan. A US version might be cheaper, but still: I wouldn't want to even waste $50 for something that'd be ruined only hours to at most days after coming out of the box.

I have my realistically colored statue and I stand by it quite satisfied. Screamer is larger than my Alts and smaller than the other MPs I have as Leaders - so in terms of the scale for G1 cartoon representation - he's perfect for representing the characters I used to love watching do battle after school.

BountyHunterScum
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
No one is going to paying $80+ for Ultimate Bumblebee, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes marked down to 75% off at some point.

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Slightly off subject, but I realized today that, in the age of the internet, two of the biggest long-missing holes in my comic collection, "Another Time and Place" (the epilogue to the G1 comic) and "Alignment" (Furman's epilogue to G2) must be floating around online.

And so, if you've not read them:
Another Time and Place (http://www.seibertron.com/comics/uk/anothertime/index.php)
Alignment (http://www.transforce.org.uk/alignment.pdf)

I enjoyed AT&P much more than Alignment, though both are good. Alignment did give me a new appreciation for one aspect of TF I've long ignored, which is why I'm posting here under toys (and not under comics).

The G1 comic continuity eventually becomes Beast Wars!

So I guess Cheetor and Rat-Trap really do exist. Is the whole series out on DVD?

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Sorry for the double post.

I've done some looking, and it appears Seasons 2 and 3 of Beast Wars (as well as Beast Machines) are still in print and readily available, but Season 1 appears to be tough to find. All the sites I've seen it on have it backordered except amazon.com, which says "Usually ships in 4-6 weeks." (In my experience, that means they really don't have it.) Used copies appear to be expensive and in high demand on eBay.

Why would this be? I've read that Season 1 isn't as good as the other two seasons, but is it really that bad?

It looks like it's available from the two rental sites, but that seems just weird that the first season is unavailable but later seasons are still in production.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
No love for the Robot Heroes, JT?I dunno what it is, maybe because they don't transform, or maybe they just don't quite seem funny/cute enough for my tastes, but these things have consistently left me cold. I haven't gotten into the Marvel versions either though.

Too bad about Ratchet, I actually like him quite a bit.If they have another at the store and he's on sale, I may buy him again just to give him another try. I'll mess with mine tonight before returning him.

As for Blackout, I do like him, but if you take off his backpack in robotmode, he's pretty much a deluxe figure. So its hard for me to recommend him.Wow, ok, that just saved me a $20 purchase, good to know! If I see him at Target on sale, I may buy anyway.

I still don't care for leader Prime.That's unfathomable, why not?

Anyway, Starscream will make trouble as well. I've posted that a Transformers friend of mine from MySpace broke his Starscream's wing joints from stress fracturing due to repeated transformations. So I only changed him to a robot once and then left him as I want him posed for my battle diorama display. I like that he is a real Transformer and could change back into a jet if absolutely necessary, but mine is mint / loose and in perfect condition, so I'd rather not press my luck.

But as a toy, Hasbro is in for some complaints with breakages with this one for people who aren't so aptly warned. And it's an expensive toy to break. Mine was $97.12 total (shipped etc.) from Japan. A US version might be cheaper, but still: I wouldn't want to even waste $50 for something that'd be ruined only hours to at most days after coming out of the box.Hasbro doesn't release products in the US unless it can pass their significant drop testing, so my guess is either we're getting the metal version of those pieces, or they've re-engineered them with different build or materials.

No one is going to paying $80+ for Ultimate Bumblebee, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes marked down to 75% off at some point.Yeah, I really have to wonder if there's going to be a market for $90 Bee, or more specifically, who at Hasbro thought there would be.

Slightly off subject, but I realized today that, in the age of the internet, two of the biggest long-missing holes in my comic collection, "Another Time and Place" (the epilogue to the G1 comic) and "Alignment" (Furman's epilogue to G2) must be floating around online.

And so, if you've not read them:
Another Time and Place (http://www.seibertron.com/comics/uk/anothertime/index.php)
Alignment (http://www.transforce.org.uk/alignment.pdf)

I enjoyed AT&P much more than Alignment, though both are good. Alignment did give me a new appreciation for one aspect of TF I've long ignored, which is why I'm posting here under toys (and not under comics).

The G1 comic continuity eventually becomes Beast Wars!

So I guess Cheetor and Rat-Trap really do exist. Is the whole series out on DVD?Yeah, didn't you know that? G1 continuity eventually evolves over many generations into BW. Starscream's indestructible spirit eventually visits 1 of the characters, and the very same G1 Ravage character causes some trouble for our Beasties.

Sorry for the double post.

I've done some looking, and it appears Seasons 2 and 3 of Beast Wars (as well as Beast Machines) are still in print and readily available, but Season 1 appears to be tough to find. All the sites I've seen it on have it backordered except amazon.com, which says "Usually ships in 4-6 weeks." (In my experience, that means they really don't have it.) Used copies appear to be expensive and in high demand on eBay.

Why would this be? I've read that Season 1 isn't as good as the other two seasons, but is it really that bad?

It looks like it's available from the two rental sites, but that seems just weird that the first season is unavailable but later seasons are still in production.Season 1 isn't bad at all, I think it's not around because it's more popular. Also, it was released in '03 by Rhino while the 2nd season was '04 and the 3rd season was '05, which is closer to now.

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I knew the cartoon evolved into Beast Wars. I didn't know the comic evolved into it as well. Based on a little reading I've done, the descendants of the Swarm figure into BW, so the comic actually may be a better fit than the 'toon.

Season 1 might be more popular, but it doesn't explain why not a single site actually has it. Except amazon.com, who, like I said, have their typical "we're going to list this, but chances are we can't get it" page. I saw a couple of auctions for used copies that had several bids and were in excess of $70, and sellers asking $90+ on other sites. :eek:

Oh, and now I know how my favorite Dinobot commander dies. Thankfully, he makes it to the very last battle between Autobots and Decepticons, and shows the others the way to defeat a greater evil with his sacrifice. :dead:

figrin bran
06-05-2007, 02:06 AM
i picked up Robovision Optimus and BoosterX10/"Classics Laserbeak"

i've actually seen Leader class Megs at Targets though they only had one of them.

Tycho
06-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Hasbro doesn't release products in the US unless it can pass their significant drop testing, so my guess is either we're getting the metal version of those pieces, or they've re-engineered them with different build or materials.

I hope so. As to MP 03, I suppose (if I had a glutton for punishment) I could drop mine and see if he breaks - and for an encore I'll then play "dodge 'em" on the freeway. But it's not a drop test, but rather the joints wearing and breaking free, and that cheap light plastic that feels like an Ertyl model kit.

Perhaps he doesn't break - I don't hear too many complaints about him at all. But once is enough to frighten me. I'm into getting a collection of the stuff I like here, not replacing the stuff I already have. You can see that attitude prevalent in me with my not wanting to buy SW figure resculpts as well.

[UPDATE]: There's a Peter Cullen variant to CyberStomping Optimus Prime! I'm going to have to get this. The first movie product I really want to buy!

Adam
06-05-2007, 02:07 PM
There's a Cullen variant of the voice changer helm too. Both of the "real movie voice" sticker on them.

Beast
06-05-2007, 09:03 PM
The Wal-Mart exclusive "Robot Heroes - Decepticon Sneak Attack" 5-Pack is up on Wal-Mart.Com. In Stock. $9.96. You can even get it shipped to store for free, it appears. :)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5839305

Chaddymac
06-05-2007, 09:29 PM
so cute...

JediTricks
06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
i've actually seen Leader class Megs at Targets though they only had one of them.Yeah, I saw 1 of him last night at Target and another at Kmart. This figure is super plain with almost no paint and terrible bland plastic, plus an ugly face.

I hope so. As to MP 03, I suppose (if I had a glutton for punishment) I could drop mine and see if he breaks - and for an encore I'll then play "dodge 'em" on the freeway. But it's not a drop test, but rather the joints wearing and breaking free, and that cheap light plastic that feels like an Ertyl model kit.Drop tests accommodate the possibility of joint damage and material damage over short-term use, that stuff all fails when dropped just as it would if it broke during posing.

So, I returned Sucko the Clown, I mean Ratchet, to Target yesterday and got my money back plus money back for the sale on the 3 deluxes I found a receipt for (swindle I guess must remain my full-priced failure). All they had there was Robo-Vision Prime down to $20, I passed. I hit another Target and they had Bonecrusher and Blackout, both $2 off on sale right now, so I bought 'em.

Bonecrusher is crazy! First off, they use a STICKER for a part of his deco, when was the last time that happened?!? Second, they ship him mistransformed in vehicle mode, the bomb-scoop arm is supposed to be off to the right side of the truck, and the rear wheels are totally misaligned - this part is confusing as hell until you figure it out because the rear wheels can be transformed that way, but they pitch out to the back this way which is dopey.

His transformation is totally nutso, they added some stuff that is pretty advanced for a deluxe and nothing ends up where you think it will. The top of the truck becomes the arms, the undercarriage becomes the torso and legs, it's all very interesting once you realize their instructions are as much a hindrance as a help. I don't think there's any automorph going on here.

Bot mode is not too bad, and the tines on his can be brought to bear over his head so he's pretty tough. He's got weird proportions and no elbows, and his head sculpt is painfully simplistic. His hands fold into much longer forearms but this looks weird. He seems a little small, but very scrappy. A wild Decepticon!

Blackout's alt mode is a licensed Pave Low from Sikorsky, and fairly accurate. Some of the figure uses paint wash which works nicely, I wish the whole thing had it. The rotor blades are mistransformed in box, they hinge in the middle in 2 blocks of 3 to make each block's rotors symmetrical. There's a tiny nose wheel that folds down. The back of the chopper has a pop-open cage for the included Scorponok minion (gray plastic with cruddy black wash, spring-loaded tail to help eject him) that works well. A plunger out the back spins the rotors, they don't spin freely, and turns a peg on the underside to drive the Deluxe Scorponok figure's gimmick as well when he's attached.

Transformation has a lot of clever stuff going on, starting with the Scorpy cage rotating around the chopper tail. There's a lot of folding going on, the automorph is somewhat lame and doesn't always engage but isn't actively bad.

Bot mode, the upper half of the chopper ends up as a big backpack, the belly is the legs, the nose is the chest, the side wings the arms - it all works pretty well if you don't mind the big backpack. If you do, the backpack can be removed leaving a small $20 figure but a well-armed one since the rotor's main engine can fold down, the backpack plugged onto the shoulder, and he can hold the blades in front of him as a spinning weapon - it even has a handle! The face works surprisingly well, the only movie Decepticon I feel that way about, the black wash brings out the complex design, and his eyes have a small sculpted pattern and light-pipe red in a most effective and freaky look. The figure's not as kibbly as I expected, the shoulder missile pods can even be set behind the head which tightens things up. All in all, a real surprise win.

El Chuxter
06-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Why exactly are so many of you, the ones who think this movie will suck more than Slicker's Mom greeting a Navy ship on shore leave, buying all the toys?

Not trying to be a jerk. Just curious.

JetsAndHeels
06-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Why exactly are so many of you, the ones who think this movie will suck more than Slicker's Mom greeting a Navy ship on shore leave, buying all the toys?

I'm actually holding out hope that it will be good. I am looking forward to July 4th.

figrin bran
06-06-2007, 10:38 PM

ummm, the same reason why we buy prequel SW figures? :D

Beast
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
ummm, the same reason why we buy prequel SW figures? :D
But the Prequels were good. :D

Adam
06-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Well, I may have to get FB Jazz now. The repaint is obvious but I'm a sucker for the nostalgia.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4000

This came from Target's robovision site, code Energon.

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 01:42 AM

ummm, the same reason why we buy prequel SW figures? :DThat's not a bad answer. :p That's pretty much it really, I like Transformers toys, and the toys don't always fail the way the movie versions are failing. That Leader-class Optimus Prime is one of the best Transformers I've ever gotten.

Well, I may have to get FB Jazz now. The repaint is obvious but I'm a sucker for the nostalgia.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4000

This came from Target's robovision site, code Energon.I saw that and Screamer's retooled head to sorta look like him. Jazz didn't do it for me, I'm just not feeling that mold enough to buy it twice and I don't think the Solstice looks that good in those racing designs. Screamer I think looks pretty bad still, and the new colors seem to accent the undercarriage junk even worse now than before.

Dominic Guglieme
06-07-2007, 03:55 PM
To answer your question about "Beast Wars", season one is objectively the best written set of episodes for the series. It had more stand-alone episodes and less fan-wankery than the second the third seasons.

I cannot account for the rarity beyond what others have speculated though.

I do not think the movie will suck. I am 100% *certain* the movie will suck, based on having read the script, the prequel novel, the prequel comic, the comic adaptation and most of the novelization. (Well, there is a small chance this could all be an elaborate practical joke, with a "more than meets the eye" theme, intended to cover what will actually be a master piece. But, more likely, it will be the cinematic trainwreck of '07.)

That being said, if the late Beast era, and much of AEC taught me anything, it is that good characters=/=good toys. And, the reverse holds true.

I liked Armada Prime as a characer. I traded away the toy and have not ever missed it. I hated every episode of RiD and liked none of the characters. There is not a single RiD toy I have fiddled with that I wholly dislike. If I were going to complete a single TF line, that would be it. (Skybite is probably my least favorite, and it still looks good.) I hate every scrap of "Universe" context. Actually, a few character profiles aside, the convention context has been pretty shabby since '01 or so. But, damn if there are not some good toys. Getting back to the Beast years, I hated most of my Beast Machines toys, but the show held my interest enough for me to buy bootlegs of season 2 before it aired in the US. I really dislike most Generation 1 toys, as they were dated when they first hit US retail 20+ years ago. But, damned if I am giving up my G1 and G2 comics. (I have reprints of the originals I am selling.)

The movie designs are actually pretty good. I like Bay's design aesthetic, if nothing else about the man and his products. I like most the toys, having a few of my own, and having fiddled with some of a friend's collection.

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
To answer your question about "Beast Wars", season one is objectively the best written set of episodes for the series. It had more stand-alone episodes and less fan-wankery than the second the third seasons. Season 2 has a broader scope, but they do start getting a tad esoteric - although I'd argue they did a great job using the esoteric elements to cover up the "look, new toys to buy!!!" elements. :p

What parts of the overall in season 2 do you find fan-wankery? I haven't watched in a long time, so I'm remembering only the "feel" of season 2.

I do not think the movie will suck. I am 100% *certain* the movie will suck, based on having read the script, the prequel novel, the prequel comic, the comic adaptation and most of the novelization. (Well, there is a small chance this could all be an elaborate practical joke, with a "more than meets the eye" theme, intended to cover what will actually be a master piece. But, more likely, it will be the cinematic trainwreck of '07.) Preach on!!!

That being said, if the late Beast era, and much of AEC taught me anything, it is that good characters=/=good toys. And, the reverse holds true. Savage/Noble being the first toy that doesn't live up to the character in my mind, literally it was instantaneous.

Getting back to the Beast years, I hated most of my Beast Machines toys, but the show held my interest enough for me to buy bootlegs of season 2 before it aired in the US.Whereas I'm the opposite, I found BM to be almost unbearable but thought highly of the toys.

The movie designs are actually pretty good. I like Bay's design aesthetic, if nothing else about the man and his products. I like most the toys, having a few of my own, and having fiddled with some of a friend's collection.I was with you until the Bay design praise. You like the CGI bots, or do you just mean the Hasbro interpretations of them? I can understand the latter, not so much the former.

figrin bran
06-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Season 2 has a broader scope, but they do start getting a tad esoteric - although I'd argue they did a great job using the esoteric elements to cover up the "look, new toys to buy!!!" elements. :p

What parts of the overall in season 2 do you find fan-wankery? I haven't watched in a long time, so I'm remembering only the "feel" of season 2.

Whereas I'm the opposite, I found BM to be almost unbearable but thought highly of the toys.

I was with you until the Bay design praise. You like the CGI bots, or do you just mean the Hasbro interpretations of them? I can understand the latter, not so much the former.

Maybe Dom is referring to the "transmetallization" that took place during season 2 of BW? Primal on a hoverboard? sounds like fan wankery to me

For me, BM was bearable - i would actually stay in every sat. morning to watch. i think i only have 3 toys from the line - Deluxe Jetstorm, Blackarachnia and Optimus Primal. i'm not sure why i never got Thrust or Tankor.

JetsAndHeels
06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey FB, how you liking your robo-vision Prime? I think its a cool figure, but I was dissappointed with that "message" you get when you use the decoder. :)

figrin bran
06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey FB, how you liking your robo-vision Prime? I think its a cool figure, but I was dissappointed with that "message" you get when you use the decoder. :)

i like the figure but might shell out for Leader class Prime especially if i keep reading good reviews about it. haven't actually tried the decoder message yet.

JetsAndHeels
06-07-2007, 10:40 PM
haven't actually tried the decoder message yet.

Remember the part in "A Christmas Story" where he used his orphan Annie decoder ring?

Yeah, it's that kind of a message.

Adam
06-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Don't even need the decoder really, they can be read with the naked eye.

Dominic Guglieme
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Season 2 has a broader scope, but they do start getting a tad esoteric - although I'd argue they did a great job using the esoteric elements to cover up the "look, new toys to buy!!!" elements. :p

Season 2 starter relying too much on Generation 1, and treating it as a good unto itself. Looking back on it, this was the start of the insularity that now plagues the franchise. Having a broad scope does not make something well written, but it can cover a lack of ideas.

Savage/Noble being the first toy that doesn't live up to the character in my mind, literally it was instantaneous.

Whereas I'm the opposite, I found BM to be almost unbearable but thought highly of the toys.

I disliked the toys of show characters because they did not translate well from animation to plastic. The show was flawed, but had more focused and intelligent writing than most of Beast Wars and Generation 1. (I think the fact it was so focused did not leave much room for fan-fic is one of the things that alienated most fans.)

The non-show toys had some appeal though.

I was with you until the Bay design praise. You like the CGI bots, or do you just mean the Hasbro interpretations of them? I can understand the latter, not so much the former.

Most of the visual associations I have are based on the toys and line-art from the comics. I figure they are pretty close to the movie, right? The CGI stuff I have seen I do like though. The less fan-wankery, the better.

Tycho
06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I bought Scorponok today. He seems to be the right size to go with my Alts. I haven't opened him yet. He's actually out in my truck. But I might just keep him - but never transform him.

Adam
06-08-2007, 07:40 PM
That's probably a good idea, I've heard its not a good idea to TF him. :P

El Chuxter
06-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Got all the Robot Heroes, minus the WM set and the last two (which I don't think are out yet). They're fantabulous! Ravage is such a cute and cuddwy widdle bloodthirsty saboteur. :love:

Beast
06-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Got all the Robot Heroes, minus the WM set and the last two (which I don't think are out yet). They're fantabulous! Ravage is such a cute and cuddwy widdle bloodthirsty saboteur. :love:
I heard they are showing up in limited quanties in some areas.

The same thing that happened with the Spider-Man SHS Doc Ock and Rhino sets.

JetsAndHeels
06-08-2007, 10:06 PM
The only set I have not seen is the one with Prime and Unicron. I want that one, hopefully will find it if not soon then when I go to the comic con in Charlotte next weekend.

JediTricks
06-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Check out what I noticed, the company who makes the actual Buffalo vehicle, Force Protection, if you look carefully at the claw in their main pic of the Buffalo, it's sporting a Decepticon logo: http://www.forceprotection.net/models/buffalo/

For me, BM was bearable - i would actually stay in every sat. morning to watch. i think i only have 3 toys from the line - Deluxe Jetstorm, Blackarachnia and Optimus Primal. i'm not sure why i never got Thrust or Tankor.Thrust was interesting but flawed (Cycle Drone was awesome though). Tankor(r) was da bomb though, that is one of the coolest figures from the era (Tank Drone rules too).

Season 2 starter relying too much on Generation 1, and treating it as a good unto itself. Looking back on it, this was the start of the insularity that now plagues the franchise. Having a broad scope does not make something well written, but it can cover a lack of ideas.I don't think there's anything wrong per se with looking back to one's roots, and I don't think Season 2 really went too far with it, it felt organic to the nature of Megatron's mission in the first place, Megs went back in time to that location for that specific purpose after all.

I disliked the toys of show characters because they did not translate well from animation to plastic. The show was flawed, but had more focused and intelligent writing than most of Beast Wars and Generation 1. (I think the fact it was so focused did not leave much room for fan-fic is one of the things that alienated most fans.) Sounds a lot like your description of the prequels.

The non-show toys had some appeal though. I dug the figures in general, both show and non-show, I didn't mind that they didn't match so long as they were cool - one of the perks of not being tied into characterization so much.

Most of the visual associations I have are based on the toys and line-art from the comics. I figure they are pretty close to the movie, right? The CGI stuff I have seen I do like though. The toys don't really look much like the movie, but you like the CGI you've seen so I guess that doesn't matter.

The less fan-wankery, the better.Change for change's sake does not make it good.

I bought Scorponok today. He seems to be the right size to go with my Alts. I haven't opened him yet. He's actually out in my truck. But I might just keep him - but never transform him.And then I lost all respect for Tycho. :p

figrin bran
06-09-2007, 03:50 AM
Tycho, you gotta be kidding me! of all the new TF's to get, you buy Scorponok???

Truth be told, i actually held one in my hands while at Target, contemplating on whether to purchase or not. I thought it might look good displayed with my Beast Wars TF's but the bot mode was just too bizzarre and I didn't like the scorpion leg kibble on the legs.

I don't know if any of you have played the "capture the cube" game on the Mountain Dew TF promo site but even that transforming Mountain Dew machine would've been a better toy than Scorps.

Since JT says Bonecrusher isn't bad, i'll check it out tomorrow at the stores and decide if i want one or not.

JediTricks
06-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Yeah, get him if you see him, and you like the reasons I listed. I suspect some fans just won't be into him 'cause he's a deluxe or 'cause he's a little weird, but if you can get by that and want something unique and fun, he's not a bad pick.

Did I mention my Bonecrusher figure has a lot of flash on the parts? I can't remember if I said it here or somewhere else. Anyway, it does, causes some minor gapping in a lot of places but no real significant issues. Just an interesting aside, not a problem per se - I can always shave it off.

Tycho
06-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Tycho, you gotta be kidding me! of all the new TF's to get, you buy Scorponok???

Actually, I've opened him now and have him on display with my big Autobot vs. Decepticon battle going on atop the right hand side of my desk here. Scorponok looks great. He's attacking Wheeljack's Alternator, while Sunstreaker's Alt is about to run him over like Kup did to Kickback in the 1986 movie. Hound's Alt is backing them up, but Starscream MP-03 is about to blast him. Then Ravage's Alternator will leap on him.

Meanwhile Jazz's Alternator (Meister) has charged Megatron MP-05, rather foolishly. Mirage's Alternator is racing to a support position. Optimus Prime's MP-01 has just transformed but is ranging his weapon waiting for "The Touch" to start playing out of my soundsystem before he does anything to help Jazz.

I have Alternators Smokescreen, SideSwipe, and Tracks put away in the closet. Decepticons, currently outnumbered by Autobots, get first priority with my limited space. Autobots I'd still buy include Ironhide, Ratchet, and BumbleBee if they were offered at the quality level I'd desire.

Decepticon MP-06 Skywarp will be joining my battle as a fighter jet in September.

I'm fairly certain that if I could find the TRU exclusive re-release of G1 Soundwave, he'd look good with this group, too.

figrin bran
06-09-2007, 11:12 PM
I still can't get over it, Tycho, you talk trash about us (good naturedly i think) being blind unsophisticated TF followers and yet you pass up everything in the Classics line only to buy Scorponok whose robot mode looks more like a 2nd beast mode - robotic medusa tailed scorpion monster. that wouldn't have been acceptable in the Beast Wars or Beast Machines lines and shouldn't be now.

I noticed that TRU upped their prices on Robot Heroes to 5.99. Last week they were only 4.99. It's also interesting that their price for the Leader class is 39.99 which is cheaper than Target's sale price this week.

I got Bonecrusher from Target today...gonna open it up right now.

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2007, 11:31 PM
My Optimus Prime is watching you!!

Tycho
06-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I still can't get over it, Tycho, you talk trash about us (good naturedly i think) being blind unsophisticated TF followers and yet you pass up everything in the Classics line only to buy Scorponok whose robot mode looks more like a 2nd beast mode - robotic medusa tailed scorpion monster. that wouldn't have been acceptable in the Beast Wars or Beast Machines lines and shouldn't be now.

Scorponok is not likely a real Transformer (in the movie continuity). He's a drone launched by Blackout.

The robot mode was only conceived of by Hasbro because they wisely thought it would be lame packaging a toy under the Transformers logo that does not even transform.

Their choices were:

1) Not make Scorponok at all - save for that accessory piece with Blackout

2) make him, but not make him transform or do anything

3) make a robot form for him, though some fans like me will never use it*

*the robot form does look like crap!

Now if you watch the scene with him that's been featured in every trailer, he's sort of the size of a car and a bit larger than the 3 soldiers he's chasing in the preview. That puts him on a nice scale with my Alternators I'm so fond of. So I bought him.

I barely have any Decepticons, so it's nice to add someone original (I skipped all the repaints with an exception planned for Masterpiece Skywarp).

So that is that.

El Chuxter
06-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Scorponok is supposed to be one of the most massive, nefarious Decepticons ever. Doesn't matter what continuity. The guy definitely ain't no drone.

What is the point of a Transformer in this "realistic" :rolleyes: movie universe who transforms from a giant robot scorpion into a different giant robot scorpion? Does that strike anyone as a fanfic written by Robin Flantdig?

Tycho
06-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Help me Optimus Prime, you're my only hope!

I have this uncontrollable urge to buy the Optimus Prime voice changer helmet and a pile of those pathetic Starscream action figures. Then donning the helmet, and setting up a digital recording for use on YouTube, proceed to open and smash all the Starscream action figures with a hammer. I'll add energon battle axe sounds in post-production.

I'll shout things like "One shall stand and one shall fall!" and "This is the end of the road!"

I think I need to do this or I'm going to have a complete mental breakdown.

Then still wearing the Optimus Prime helmet, I'll run stark naked, streaking at the beach while shooting people with those foam darts from the Optimus Prime arm cannon blaster.

When they come to take me away, I'll reveal how Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg put me up to it all.

When the judge asks if I have any final words, I'll say, "Until all are one!"

Yes folks, I am losing it. I want this Transformers movie and it better not suck!

21 more days! (early July 2nd screening - hey I better start sleeping outside of a movie theater with my Sunstreaker action figure!)

- Oh - and I can't stop listening to "The Touch!"

I am touched. :crazed:

Adam
06-11-2007, 02:59 AM
[B]I am touched....in the head. :crazed:

I think thats what you meant.

Tycho
06-11-2007, 03:21 AM
Double-post here - because I'm so awesome! I just got a new digital camera for my research trip but as I am learning to use it, I took the following awesome photo of my Transformers as I display them in battle.

I don't know why, but MP Megatron seems to look smaller than Optimus Prime in this photo. He's not. He's about the same size. But I think I am Prime-centric in my focus. It would figure.

Pictured are:

MP Optimus Prime
Alt Hound
Alt Mirage (as car)
Alt Jazz (they called him Meister)
Alt Wheeljack
Alt Sunstreaker (as car - looks like movie BumbleBee sort of, huh?)

VERSUS

MP Megatron
MP Starscream
Alt Ravage
Movie Scorponok
Alt Rumble (as car)

Not Pictured (due to space primarily)

Alt Smokescreen
Alt SideSwipe
Alt Tracks

This is all my collection. The best Transformers collection possible.

At present, I only plan to add MP Skywarp (in jet mode) come September.

Dig it!

Grrr. Please be patient. My picture was at too high of resolution for these forums. I'm trying to dull it to reduce the memory used.

plasticfetish
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Here you go Tychomis Prime...

Tycho
06-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Thank you, PlasticFetish!

You've now helped me to display the perfect Transformers collection.

Optimus Prime appears courtesty of El Chuxter :yes:

Comments? From you poor Cybertron / Armada, RID fans

plasticfetish
06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Perfect? Hmmm... maybe now that I've got the rest of my stuff out of storage, I'll shoot a pic of my all Japanese Beastwars collection. ;)

JediTricks
06-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't know why, but MP Megatron seems to look smaller than Optimus Prime in this photo. He's not. He's about the same size. But I think I am Prime-centric in my focus. It would figure.No, the reason Megs looks smaller is because he is further away from the camera and you have tilted the camera to the left so he's further down in the frame.

Scorponok looks silly in that pic, he doesn't fit the Alternators' styling at all and he's small.

All of your bots have essentially the same pose - looking straight ahead, straight waist, slightly bent knees, raised weapon. Try more dynamic posing, I think that'll loosen it up. Remember, a lot of these figures have enough articulation to do most of what we can do, take advantage of rotating waist, double-jointed elbows, turning heads.

Also, with this many black parts, the flash in the camera body isn't going to cover your needs (I forgot all about this until now for your needs, SW is going to be the same), you'll probably want to get some more lighting and then shut down the flash altogether - the flash misrepresents and washes out colors while hiding details in black areas.

Tycho
06-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Speaking of black, how does Alternator Ravage look with the others? I totally love him!

As to Scorponok, I think the size is about right, judging from those movie preview shots of him chasing the soldiers. Maybe he's just a little smaller than he should be, but by less than 15%.

Thanks for the photo tips.

JediTricks
06-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Speaking of black, how does Alternator Ravage look with the others? I totally love him!Haven't I given you enough grief today, do you really have to seek it out too? :D Ravage barely registers, the black makes him disappear for the most part, but he also looks like a bunch of unrelated panels which kinda sucks.

As to Scorponok, I think the size is about right, judging from those movie preview shots of him chasing the soldiers. Maybe he's just a little smaller than he should be, but by less than 15%.It's not the size in comparison to the movie that I'm taking issue with, I'm talking about as a toy. I think it's small compared to the other figures in the photo.

Tycho
06-12-2007, 12:57 AM
It's not the size in comparison to the movie that I'm taking issue with, I'm talking about as a toy. I think it's small compared to the other figures in the photo.

Oh. Well we're looking at different things. I was looking at realistic sizes, kind of like the movie (though then my Starscream should be huge - but I don't see a good chance of that happening).

Meanwhile, Scorponok's an almost non-sentient bug and I like him that size as in my scene Wheeljack looks like he's going to shoot him and then step on him. In that sense, everything is as it should be.

kool-aid killer
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Perfect? Hmmm... maybe now that I've got the rest of my stuff out of storage, I'll shoot a pic of my all Japanese Beastwars collection. ;)

Do it!!!

I only plan on picking up one "Transformers: Movie" toy, the little thing that turns into a Lazerbeak looking bird. I think thats cool. My little brother is geeked out about the movie, so ive bought him a sizable amount of the movie action figures.

plasticfetish
06-12-2007, 03:27 PM
I only plan on picking up one "Transformers: Movie" toy, the little thing that turns into a Lazerbeak looking bird. I think thats cool. My little brother is geeked out about the movie, so ive bought him a sizable amount of the movie action figures.I picked up the digital camera (haven't opened it yet) and may get the phone, but that's it. My son's super excited about the film, so we'll probably score a few other figures for him. (He wants the helmet and transforming hand thing. :))

I'll shoot pics of the Beastwars stuff in a month or so, when my new studio/office is done.

JediTricks
06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Laserbeak in the Real Gear line is called Booster X-10, I believe.

I keep meaning to pick up some Real Gear sets but it just doesn't happen, I think I went a little too heavy on the movie figures and am probably going to pick up the Real Gear guys slowly over the next week or so.

figrin bran
06-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Booster X-10 is the only Real Gear toy i picked up and i do recommend it. the wings are rather large and render it out of scale with most TF's other than Anniversary Prime but it's still worth getting i think.

Wreckage from the Movie Deluxes isn't bad either. Of course, it helps that he isn't actually in the film and so Hasbro could make him more traditional looking.

Chaddymac
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
I got all the real gear figures and I have to say, the only ones I'm not over the moon for are the video game one and the cell phone. The other four, laserbeak, the binoculars, the digicam and the videocam are all pretty cool. You can't go wrong with any of them, IMHO

kool-aid killer
06-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I picked up the digital camera (haven't opened it yet) and may get the phone, but that's it. My son's super excited about the film, so we'll probably score a few other figures for him. (He wants the helmet and transforming hand thing. :))

I'll shoot pics of the Beastwars stuff in a month or so, when my new studio/office is done.

Sweet. Ive only got a couple of the Japanese Beast Wars stuff, so it will be cool to see what the rest of them look like.

Chaddymac, i think the "video game" bot looks terrible in his robot mode. He looks like he was just a half butted attempt to fill out the line.

JediTricks
06-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Whoops! I forgot to mention I received Barricade from HTS finally yesterday.

Barricade is interesting, but I don't love him. Vehicle mode looks nice, but feels light and doesn't want to stay properly aligned - when you move one piece back into place another dislodges. Frenzy is silly and pretty needless. Transformation is a shellmaster but trying to be clever about it and not quite as clever as it thinks it is, the diagonal waist and perma-bent knees are lame. Bot mode is a bit of a mess, it doesn't remind me of the CGI very much, not even that weird head which I think might look ok in another color but not these. The chest is the biggest departure from the film, it slides out and then slides halfway closed around the immobile head giving for a wide look, but the movie version crinkles in on itself slightly looking much more sleek. The ankles are very weak and doom the figure to faceplanting a lot. There's some visual elements that the instructions ignore - the flip up toes and the shoulders which rotate around on the vertical axis so the door panel faces in. I don't hate him, I don't love him, I wish he was a little better. I think I'd give him a "C".

Booster X-10 is the only Real Gear toy i picked up and i do recommend it. the wings are rather large and render it out of scale with most TF's other than Anniversary Prime but it's still worth getting i think. Well, he's not supposed to be in scale, they're either doing a Mass Shifting thing with those little guys like the G1 days, or these are items brought to life by the Allspark in which case they're in scale to you, the buyer.

Wreckage from the Movie Deluxes isn't bad either. Of course, it helps that he isn't actually in the film and so Hasbro could make him more traditional looking.Haw! I keep forgetting about him and Swindle, thinking "why are my 'Con ranks lower than I remembered?"

I got all the real gear figures and I have to say, the only ones I'm not over the moon for are the video game one and the cell phone. The other four, laserbeak, the binoculars, the digicam and the videocam are all pretty cool. You can't go wrong with any of them, IMHOGood to hear, I've got to start buying these this week.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Out of curiosity, and non-movie, does anyone know when the War Within Prime vs Megatron will be showing up at TRU? I assumed last week, but there was no sign of it. Their website doesn't list anything at all, either. With Grimlock forthcoming, I'm definitely wanting that set... and may get Starscream, Fallen, and possibly Thundercracker as well.

JediTricks
06-14-2007, 01:24 AM
I don't know, but I definitely need to keep an eye on that situation because I don't want to let the Megs figure slip through my fingers on HTS but I would rather have the 2pack with Prime (on the off hope that the rumor is true and his joints have been fixed).

I'm becoming VERY worried about this line, it's completely stalled at TRU and I haven't seen it making an appearance at Target lately. I fear it's going to pull an Alternators.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I've sporadically seen Rodimus, RID Prime, Fallen, and Soundwave. I think I may have seen Magnus once, too. I'm guessing they're pretty rare in most areas, because eBay auctions seem to go for pretty heavily inflated prices.

JediTricks
06-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Dang, you've seen The Fallen in stores? I haven't heard 1 sighting of him yet! And he ships with Cheetor, so it's weird you haven't seen him.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking Thundercracker and wrote Fallen for some reason. I'm not even sure why. :hurt::whip:

figrin bran
06-14-2007, 02:26 AM
i've seen Titanium Fallen at my local comic book store (Legacy in Glendale, JT)

i guess i'll have to keep checking HTS if i want Cheetor

figrin bran
06-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Heels, i'm not sure if you read the Titanium threads so i just wanted to give you a heads up that my local Targets had the movie titaniums of Bumblebee and Blackout today.

Seems like Target realized they were charging more than everyone else for Leader Class and so there's a new 39.99 tag for them now.

I think the 2007 Camero Bumblebee Deluxe has been spotted

JediTricks
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Ah, ok Chux, there ya go then.

i've seen Titanium Fallen at my local comic book store (Legacy in Glendale, JT)That doesn't count in my book, that could just be a store who bought it from HTS as well.

i guess i'll have to keep checking HTS if i want CheetorYeah, I fear that's the case, and it may never actually get rereleased.

I have absolutely not heard any sightings for '08 Camaro Bumblebee, none of the wave 3 figures. Any more info?

I picked up a Real Gear figure last week, Spy Shot 6. He's easily going to be the best of the wave, no question, he's nearly perfect. Alt mode is believable and has a clicky button, transformation is clever without being a cheat and uses most of the pieces wisely, robot mode is well-articulated with great proportions and he's just a cool little bot all around.

Chaddymac
06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Ah, ok Chux, there ya go then.
That doesn't count in my book, that could just be a store who bought it from HTS as well.

Yeah, I fear that's the case, and it may never actually get rereleased.

I have absolutely not heard any sightings for '08 Camaro Bumblebee, none of the wave 3 figures. Any more info?

I picked up a Real Gear figure last week, Spy Shot 6. He's easily going to be the best of the wave, no question, he's nearly perfect. Alt mode is believable and has a clicky button, transformation is clever without being a cheat and uses most of the pieces wisely, robot mode is well-articulated with great proportions and he's just a cool little bot all around.
I totally agree with you, JT. And I actually really like the clicky button gimmick. It really brings out the kid in me! But yeah, everything about him is spot on. That said, I really wish it didn't have that goofy Cybertron pic in his viewfinder. Couldn't it have just been black or something? Or a G1 still would've been even cooler. But Cybertron's just so goofy.

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 11:31 PM
My guess is they went with what they had licensed available pics of, but as much as I'm not down with the movie, I think they should have used a pic from that.

So... what the hell Hasbro? How could you approve something that looks like this for the next TF cartoon?!? http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=7894&dispsize=800&start=0
Are you TRYING to ruin the brand on purpose? Just gonna hand the franchise over to any jerkwad with a buck and a production house? This looks HORRIBLE!

figrin bran
06-20-2007, 12:18 AM
i kind of like that new animated series pic! it's like an ultra stylized Hasbro Robot Hero. I really like the new logo as well

(prepares for barrage of tomatoes)

Chaddymac
06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Frankly, I don't care too terribly much, as long as the writing is't insulting and the voie acting is decent. I mean, it's pretty G1-ish, which always makes me smile. No idea what the toys will look like, though. Not much like that, I think, or she won't be transforming. The last few cartoons have looked good in stills and just delivered s**t in actuality. I'm ready for the opposite to happen.

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Wow, you guys have stronger stomachs than I. I couldn't stand the art on Ben 10 or Teen Titans, and the writing was pretty suspect on most of the shows listed, with the exception of Beast Machines.

figrin bran
06-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Wow, you guys have stronger stomachs than I. I couldn't stand the art on Ben 10 or Teen Titans, and the writing was pretty suspect on most of the shows listed, with the exception of Beast Machines.

I've never watched Ben 10 but the figures look alright to me. I do kind of like the Teen Titans look. However, i've never liked how Bats looks on The Batman.

Adam
06-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I was trying to forget about that picture and you made me remember. :cry:

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I was trying to forget about that picture and you made me remember. :cry:
If we refuse to recognize evil, how are we supposed to fight it?

:p

My Brawl figure is having problems with the automorph already, the right tread stops moving halfway through. I hear those gears are breaking on a LOT of these and I just hope that isn't the case with mine, it was the best thing I liked about the figure.

figrin bran
06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I found the Robot Heroes Optimus/Unicron and Jazz/Thundercracker sets at Target today so they are starting to ship in greater quantities.

My Brawl's automorph never seemed to work at all...

JediTricks
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Oh heavenly saints, preserve us!!!

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=194&itemid=11280

First off, Prime looks like a horribly cartoonized version of Cybertron Prime, wearing gloves. And Bumblebee's alt mode seems to be ripped straight from the Classics line.

Then there's this:
Set on Earth in the near future in Detroit, the alien TRANSFORMERS are thrust into a world populated by humans and automatons. As visitors to Earth, the TRANSFORMERS--OPTIMUS PRIME, BUMBLEBEE, PROWL, BULKHEAD and RATCHET--work in the human world, interacting with the ‘natives’ in exciting and humorous ways. TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED has been created to showcase the heroic AUTOBOTS working together to battle the evil DECEPTICONS and save Earth with kid-relatable plot lines filled with humor, distinctive character personalities, and dynamic action.
And this:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=42116
Cartoon and Hasbro executives told the trade paper that the new series, Transformers Animated, will be significantly different from the others, adding humor, never-before-seen characters and a new premise in which the Autobots fight evil humans in superhero fashion much more frequently than they battle the Decepticons, the traditional Transformers enemy since the franchise launched as a toy line in 1984.
What are they doing this for??? Why do they want to ruin the franchise as fast as possible?

Ji'dai
06-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Just a heads up if you're into exlusives- I saw a TF/movie Brawl, Bonecrusher, and Jazz in robot mode in a window box set at my local Sam's Wholesale Club for $25 today.

Tycho
06-25-2007, 05:40 PM
will be significantly different from the others, adding humor, never-before-seen characters and a new premise in which the Autobots fight evil humans in superhero fashion much more frequently than they battle the Decepticons,

Oh wow! I can only hope for more:

masturbation jokes...

Autobots peeing on humans...

giant robots hiding in people's backyards...

And please, please, please: make the robots fart, too! Fart jokes are the greatest!

I seriously think they need to consider Michael Bay having input on the animated series as well. Does he have experience ruining new cartoons in addition to the traditions laid down by old ones?

JediTricks
06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Bay is not involved with the cartoon at all, the cartoon is not going to tie into the movie at all, it's specifically going in a DIFFERENT ugly stupid direction.

Tycho
06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Bay is not involved with the cartoon at all, the cartoon is not going to tie into the movie at all, it's specifically going in a DIFFERENT ugly stupid direction.

Of course the movie would never go in a different, ugly, stupid direction.

Do you think it's too late to petition Paramount and Dreamworks to make sure the robots fart? You can't let JarJar Binks outdo an Autobot backfiring. Yeah, I think Ironhide should fart. That would be just magnificient, huh?

How do we send our suggestions in to Michael Bay? :crazed:

He needs to hear about farting robots.

figrin bran
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
i said this on the TF movie thread but i like the look of the animated series. someone has to, right? :p

Chaddymac
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
i said this on the TF movie thread but i like the look of the animated series. someone has to, right? :p
I don't hate the look, but I don't really love it either. And I'm not sure I understand how you do TF's and not have their mortal enemies be the Decepticons, but whatever. Maybe this will mean we'll finally get some human action figures in scale to the TFs. That would be cool.

plasticfetish
06-26-2007, 05:50 AM
What are they doing this for??? Why do they want to ruin the franchise as fast as possible?Any time I read the words "re-imagine" in a statement, I know we're in for trouble. But I dunno, I did like Teen Titans a little. I can see how this might work on some level, but I can't see it being a huge hit. I can't see it lasting beyond one season either... if it makes it that far.

figrin bran
06-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Any time I read the words "re-imagine" in a statement, I know we're in for trouble. But I dunno, I did like Teen Titans a little. I can see how this might work on some level, but I can't see it being a huge hit. I can't see it lasting beyond one season either... if it makes it that far.

ha, well you might not agree but a lot of us think "re-imagined" BSG is vastly superior to the original.

plasticfetish
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
That's a good point. I love both versions of BSG really.

I'm willing to give the new TF cartoon a chance... be nice to actually see a Transformers cartoon again. It just seems like a super corny idea, but I suppose we haven't seen very much yet.

Wonder what the deal is with Takara(Tomy) not being a part of this at all. Seems a little strange.

Chaddymac
06-26-2007, 02:06 PM
That's a good point. I love both versions of BSG really.

I'm willing to give the new TF cartoon a chance... be nice to actually see a Transformers cartoon again. It just seems like a super corny idea, but I suppose we haven't seen very much yet.

Wonder what the deal is with Takara(Tomy) not being a part of this at all. Seems a little strange.
They aren't? Why do we think that?

plasticfetish
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Because we clicked on JT's SciFi link and read where it said...

"But this is the first one Hasbro is co-producing with Cartoon rather than its Japanese toy and production partner, Takara."

Chaddymac
06-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Because we clicked on JT's SciFi link and read where it said...

"But this is the first one Hasbro is co-producing with Cartoon rather than its Japanese toy and production partner, Takara."
Oh, the cartoon. Yes, that makes sense. But I'm pretty sure Takara will still be involved in the toyline. That was what confused me.

JediTricks
06-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Picked up a few TFs last night:

Transformers basic Arcee Target-exclusive - saw pics of this Energon-repaint and was impressed, plenty of her at Target and I bought one. Repaint is vastly superior to the original in every way except that it's Chromia's colors instead of Arcees, but these colors are far more appealing and restrained and attractive, and they fit the sculpt way better. The darkish-blue has a metallic quality that looks amazing up close, the silver paint is quite nice, and even the silver plastic ain't too bad. The paint really suits her headsculpt nicely, brings out her face right, and orange eyes look good. Her weapons and canopy are translucent smoke-colored plastic. I wish they had been able to give her different weapons and ditch the spark-crystal-holder, the bike mode looks tons better without all that crap, but it's still a nifty figure none the less (still wish she had better hands though). Grade: A

TF Real Gear Longview - nifty, but not as solid work as Spy Shot 6. I immediately rotated the display sticker to its correct orientation. Alt mode is ok, transformation is fun and has a clever way of doing the torso, bot mode has good hero proportions and looks decent all around. Articulation is good but as good as Spy Shot, sculpting is simple which works but lazy around the legs leaving a gap at the knee and no pegholes in the fists. Paint on the helmet is sloppy, use of light blue-gray plastic hampers head and hands. Grade: B

TF Titanium Series War Within Optimus vs Megatron - A real letdown, Megatron looks decent in bot mode but with several issues (head's too small, gun doesn't fit on forearm right, shoulders pop out) and has an incredibly lame alt mode. Optimus is the same as the first one right down to the failures, this one has weaker hips and knees than my original even! Included comic is WWi 5 of 6 with a variant cover, the issue is where Prime and Megs stand around watching TV basically, and the action focuses largely on Grimlock being the biggest badass ever. And it's 2 for the price of 2, but they don't give you the stands despite mention in the instructions. Set grade: D (if you have Optimus already), C- (if you don't have either fig)

I don't hate the look, but I don't really love it either. And I'm not sure I understand how you do TF's and not have their mortal enemies be the Decepticons, but whatever. Maybe this will mean we'll finally get some human action figures in scale to the TFs. That would be cool.I suspect it'll be like "evil villain super-scientist creates armies of non-sentient robots in an attempt to take over the world and only the autobots can smash them to bits on a daily f'ing basis" type of generic action toon.

Any time I read the words "re-imagine" in a statement, I know we're in for trouble. But I dunno, I did like Teen Titans a little. I can see how this might work on some level, but I can't see it being a huge hit. I can't see it lasting beyond one season either... if it makes it that far.Yeah, I'm picturing 1 season as well.

Wonder what the deal is with Takara(Tomy) not being a part of this at all. Seems a little strange.The last few cartoons, Takara produced them for Japan and then Hasbro ported them over to the US afterwards via dubbing - this unlike G1 and Beast Wars where Hasbro produced them and wrote them with western sensibilities in mind and then Takara ported them with translations. This will be the latter, that's all.

Adam
06-28-2007, 01:45 AM
First impression aside, I'll give the series a chance when it comes out. And hope the merch turns out good.

Tycho
06-28-2007, 03:12 AM
There's a new thread about the video game in the video game forum for all those who care.

I think it's also my first post in the video game forum in all the years I've been on this site!

figrin bran
06-28-2007, 11:02 PM
It looks like Pepsi Prime will be available on HTS but probably in very limited quantities.

I've been trying to win it on the Mt.Dew/Pepsi TF movie promo site but there's just too many people entering the sweepstakes daily.

figrin bran
06-29-2007, 11:10 PM
The much ballyhooed by Tycho MPE Starscream is going to be a Walmart exclusive retailing for around $60 and to be released in November.

That is, unless you live in Los Angeles where we'll never see a trace of these.

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2007, 11:16 PM
I got the fast action battlers Starscream fig last night. It's not bad, but not great either. I just wanted a ss fig without dropping the $20 for the other one.

Tycho
06-30-2007, 02:55 AM
The much ballyhooed by Tycho MPE Starscream is going to be a Walmart exclusive retailing for around $60 and to be released in November.

That is, unless you live in Los Angeles where we'll never see a trace of these.

What does ballyhooed mean?

Anyway, be careful if you buy him. He's really fragile and I don't transform mine. (The Tarkara one originally shipped as a jet. I converted him to a robot, and then left him alone)

For a display, I definitely think he's worth having though.

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
This show looks like it will be as cool as Teen Titans!

Y'know, the show that proved that a cartoon based on a DC Comics property, post-Batman:TAS, could suck donkeys.

Beast
06-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Not sure if it's been posted yet. But there's news coming in from BotCon.

Including plans to possibly do larger Robot Heroes sets like is being done for Superhero Squad. At the moment Unicron and Devastator are on the table. Sweet. :D

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139273

figrin bran
06-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I got the Walmart Robot Heroes exclusive set today. At 9.96, i couldn't resist since that's less than what two of the 2 packs would cost you plus you get a nice little background display.

I also got 3 of the Burger King toys - i figured at just $1 per, what the heck. I got Starscream, Blackout and Ironhide.

Tycho
06-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I saw the BotCon images of Leader Class Brawl (the tank) with dessert paint. I may have to get this. It seems like it could be cool enough to be in my collection!

figrin bran
07-01-2007, 12:04 AM
I saw the Leader class Brawl pics too. I'll have to put that along with the G1ish repaints of movie Jazz and Ratchet as "maybes".

They're not really going to repaint Energon Arcee again are they? I have the pink one and despite JT's favorable reviews, i don't feel like buying it again.

figrin bran
07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Among other news from the Hasbro Botcon panel, Classics 2.0 is coming with Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Octane and Galvatron (not a Megs repaint)

also, Robot Heroes Beast Wars!

El Chuxter
07-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Octane? Wow! That's unexpected!!

BTW, I found the last two Robot Heroes sets (Jazz/Thundercracker and Prime II/Unicron) today at Target. I guess with all the movie crap, I'm done with TF for a while now.

Tycho
07-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I can't wait to see Brawl in the stores and measure his size up to MPs and Alts.

TFW2005 said that at BotCon Hasbro disclosed that there was going to be a military line of Alternators that never happened. They were prototyped. Hasbro themselves (not Takara) took the lead on Alternators [Tycho likes Alternators the way most of you like breathing].

If Transformers are immensely popular because of Michael Bay's blockbuster (you know: popular with NooBs that don't know any better than to like the betrayal of G1), perhaps tons of new Transformers products (like Military Alternators) will be seen in the near future.

Hasbro has modeled some of the Transformers line after Star Wars:

Plush "buddies"
PlaySchool type Rescue Heroes in the CyberStompers and those fast-actions
Galactic (robot) Heroes
Unleashed
Regular Figures
12" (Leader Class in a way)
Titaniums

I can see the animated series style action figures (that do or do not actually Transform coming in the near future with the new "Samuri Jazz" cartoon series.

So $30-50 Deluxe Alternators are very possible in my opinion, as are new MPs from Takara based on the movie characters like Blackout and Brawl who would be too big to make in a regular Alternator line.*

*Alternators might be dead, but the same thing could be produced under the line "Converters" or whatever. I'm talking about products I want to buy, not what their collection is named. (Settle down, JT ... ;) )

figrin bran
07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Octane? Wow! That's unexpected!!

BTW, I found the last two Robot Heroes sets (Jazz/Thundercracker and Prime II/Unicron) today at Target. I guess with all the movie crap, I'm done with TF for a while now.

They also said that they're looking to add in an Ultra scale for Classics which will be renamed "Transformers Universe". Omega Supreme??? (that's just a wild guess on my part). They also said that Combiners/Gestalts are a possibility. Also, they'll do Classics toys of Prowl and Ironhide.

Tycho, if Brawl is a leader class then he's the same size as Movie Optimus and Megatron.

JetsAndHeels
07-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I want that Prime/Unicron set...of course here that probably won't hit the shelves until part 2 comes out.

Adam
07-02-2007, 03:14 AM
I will gladly take more Classics over more Alternators. Bring 'um on!

kool-aid killer
07-02-2007, 12:19 PM
And here i just gave my Classics (except for Grimlock) to my younger brother. But i'll gladly pick up the new ones when they come, im looking forward to Sunstreaker and Sideswipe.

Im also excited for the Animated Dinobots that are going to come out, eventually. They said there would be three of them, with one being Grimlock. Im hopefully that at least one of them will be Sludge. In fact, i wouldnt mind all five, but a guarantee of three is good enough for me. For now.

JediTricks
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Picked up Real Gear Zoom Out x25 and Speed Dial 800 (the only one whose name doesn't appear on his alt mode).

Zoom Out is kinda "meh", I bought him mainly because I needed a Decepticon. His alt mode is too generic, doesn't look enough like what it's supposed to be, it has the details but not applied in a bold manner. Transformation is unremarkable. Bot mode is plain, the shoulders should have slid out on the rings or something because he just seems boring, and his torso has needless kibble on both front and back. He's not bad, but not great.

Speed Dial is nifty, he's a believable cellphone, his transformation has some clever stuff, and I like his bot mode. The flip part of the phone remains totally unused in bot mode, a big cape and nothing more which is a shame, should have turned into a communications array or a vehicle or something. Still, I heard he wasn't that good yet he has plenty of charm. Not the best, but decent.

The news coming out of Botcon is unbelievably bad IMO, only a small number of new movie toys for the next 9 months, new cartoon sounds dreadful and toys match that mess, and Alternators and Titanium 6" dead. I suspect '07 will be my last year as a Transformers collector, there's just not enough on the horizon to keep my interest going when the main line keeps slapping me in the face and then Hasbro says it's not that bad.

And I don't get Hasbro, at CIV they showed off their powerpoint presentation to everybody, let outlets shoot photos of every single slide; yet at Botcon it's this pointless "hush hush" no-photos event for the exact same thing.

Anyway, be careful if you buy him. He's really fragile and I don't transform mine. (The Tarkara one originally shipped as a jet. I converted him to a robot, and then left him alone)The Hasbro one has been redesigned to conform to their drop tests, all Hasbro toys are so they won't get sued. Plus, if it does break through their fault, Hasbro customer support is there.

I saw the Leader class Brawl pics too. I'll have to put that along with the G1ish repaints of movie Jazz and Ratchet as "maybes". I didn't like that big clear crystal at the end of the barrel, granted it's likely a light-up feature but it looks goofy there, like someone jammed a diamond down his craw. I'll wait and see, but I am not sure of Brawl there, I'm not sold on dropping $40 on a figure that looks so similar at first glance to the flawed deluxe version.

They're not really going to repaint Energon Arcee again are they? I have the pink one and despite JT's favorable reviews, i don't feel like buying it again.Yeah, we already have 1 Target-exclusive version, now they're doing a second deco in Target wave 3. :rolleyes: The blue one I just got is clearly the best though.

Among other news from the Hasbro Botcon panel, Classics 2.0 is coming with Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Octane and Galvatron (not a Megs repaint) Surprising news on the Classics stuff.

I can't wait to see Brawl in the stores and measure his size up to MPs and Alts.Might measure up to Alternators, no chance in hell of Masterpieces.

TFW2005 said that at BotCon Hasbro disclosed that there was going to be a military line of Alternators that never happened. They were prototyped. Hasbro themselves (not Takara) took the lead on Alternators [Tycho likes Alternators the way most of you like breathing].

If Transformers are immensely popular because of Michael Bay's blockbuster (you know: popular with NooBs that don't know any better than to like the betrayal of G1), perhaps tons of new Transformers products (like Military Alternators) will be seen in the near future.

So $30-50 Deluxe Alternators are very possible in my opinion, as are new MPs from Takara based on the movie characters like Blackout and Brawl who would be too big to make in a regular Alternator line.*

*Alternators might be dead, but the same thing could be produced under the line "Converters" or whatever. I'm talking about products I want to buy, not what their collection is named. (Settle down, JT ... ;) )
Yeah, don't count on it, Hasbro *just* announced Alternators is officially dead. Told you mofos that "hiatus" on this was death!

"Converters", what the hell are you talking about Tycho?

They also said that they're looking to add in an Ultra scale for Classics which will be renamed "Transformers Universe". Omega Supreme??? (that's just a wild guess on my part). They also said that Combiners/Gestalts are a possibility. Also, they'll do Classics toys of Prowl and Ironhide. Smart, because if they don't do something fast, '08 is going to hemorrhage fans.

Tycho
07-02-2007, 06:02 PM
"Converters", what the hell are you talking about Tycho?

Just a new name for the same old thing. Hasbro's attempt to re-engergize their product line.

Anyway, I'm holding tickets for the 8pm show. I tried to buy an Autobot T-Shirt but Hot Topic and Target are both sold out of this highly fashionable uniform to wear to the movies. (Hehe - Hot Topic still has plenty of Decepticon gear for the "Brawl Bruisers" crowd.)

I just bought Cyber-Stomping Optimus Prime with Peter Cullen's voice and I love it! I was waiting until I could have a toy that talked like the real Optimus Prime! I think I'm taking him with me to the movie tonight! :yes:

El Chuxter
07-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I had some Converters back in the day. :)

I was a little miffed at the news that the Botcon Seekers would never be released elsewhere, so as not to decrease the value. WTF? Release it in a new f***in' package, morons! Slightly change the paint. Whatever. You're a bunch of massengills for this crap!

JetsAndHeels
07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I mentioned a few days ago I got the fast action battlers Starscream. Well I ended up really liking it. I think its a cool figure and it transforms quickly and easily.

I liked it so much I bought FAB Ironhide the other day as well. Same story on him..cool figure and is fun to transform.

I guess buying these was just my cheap way of not buying their $20 versions. Oh well. :)

figrin bran
07-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Arghhhh, the Pepsi Optimus Prime went on sale at HTS but is sold out now.

Forget what i said about Leader class Brawl and the Jazz/Ratchet repaints...i only have so much in the way of funds and shelf space for TF's so i'd rather that it go towards Classics than movie toys. i'll probably get some of the animated toys as well. if nothing else, i'm pretty sure i'll want the Dinobots and Blackarachnia. that news about the Boba Fett ish bounty hunter in the show really casts some doubt upon the show though.

as for the "Ultra" class classics, maybe it could be Six Shot or Sky Lynx or would either of those be too obscure? They could repaint Cybertron Metroplex but that's only a leader class, i believe.

JediTricks
07-03-2007, 03:05 AM
TF Movie Starscream - I realized I wanted to check out the transformation on this thing even if I didn't like either mode, and I don't like how the 2 upcoming repaints look in the slightest. Alt mode is fairly swooshable, not as bricky as I thought but kibble under plane is thicker than the plane itself. The arms are totally what doom this figure, it's not movie-accurate and it's a big gimmick that forces everything else to conform to its size. Transformation is clever but require too many wings to move around in a specific manner (the rear stabilizers are the worst for me because they really can't move at most of the transformation). Bot mode is interesting and reminds me a little of G2 Dreadwing, but these chicken legs are stupid and need to go away, and the forearms are pretty lame. Ultimately, it's a unique entry that's sabotaged to mediocrity by a few poor choices.

Just a new name for the same old thing. Hasbro's attempt to re-engergize their product line.You're missing Hasbro's point, it's not the brand identity that failed, it's the high costs and lack of interest which killed it - you're not likely to see it again under a new banner.

I was a little miffed at the news that the Botcon Seekers would never be released elsewhere, so as not to decrease the value. WTF? Release it in a new f***in' package, morons! Slightly change the paint. Whatever. You're a bunch of massengills for this crap!It's a very common tactic with these things, basically it's in the contract with the promoters of the show so they can have something "special" all to their show's own - the suckers who pay $50 at the door for Classics Thrust aren't going be very happy if they see you and me buying nearly the identical toy for $10 a few months later. Of course, why Hasbro lets the situation devolve into such stupid choices - botcon vs mass market - is totally beyond me.

TheRupert
07-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Anyone found the new wave of Deluxe Figs (08 Bumblebee, Arcee) in the Los Angeles area yet???

I've been hitting stores like a madman and no luck on this end. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck at all...

Tycho
07-05-2007, 01:40 AM
My high school girlfriend has been visiting me and went with me to see the Transformers movie. Her brother was also into it.

She drives a white Acura RSX like the Alternator version of Meister (Jazz) and now she's planning to bid on one on eBay! :rolleyes:

We had to look him up (average on Meister is $23.00 with $8 s&h added on) - not bad since at retail he was $20 anyway.

So she says she just wants that one because he's just like her own car. But she likes my Optimus Prime and thinks Alt Sunstreaker is BumbleBee (because of the racing stripes matching the movie Camaro - Sunstreaker's Alt is a Dodge Viper though).

I swear this is sort of scary. It feels more natural for chicks to make fun of you when you like this stuff - not start competing with you at collecting it!

figrin bran
07-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Anyone found the new wave of Deluxe Figs (08 Bumblebee, Arcee) in the Los Angeles area yet???

I've been hitting stores like a madman and no luck on this end. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck at all...

nope, no sign of them in the LA area yet.

El Chuxter
07-05-2007, 02:18 AM
I've not been paying especially close attention to these, but I think I saw Arcee at the Redlands Target earlier in the week.

figrin bran
07-05-2007, 02:19 AM
I've not been paying especially close attention to these, but I think I saw Arcee at the Redlands Target earlier in the week.

Are you sure it's Movie Deluxe Arcee and not just the Target exclusive Energon repaint Arcee? :p

El Chuxter
07-05-2007, 02:26 AM
I have no idea. I just think I saw the name on a package while I was looking for something else.

figrin bran
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Pepsi Optimus Prime available on hasbrotoyshop (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=56&ID=19749)

JediTricks
07-05-2007, 11:46 PM
My high school girlfriend has been visiting me and went with me to see the Transformers movie. Her brother was also into it.

She drives a white Acura RSX like the Alternator version of Meister (Jazz) and now she's planning to bid on one on eBay! :rolleyes:

We had to look him up (average on Meister is $23.00 with $8 s&h added on) - not bad since at retail he was $20 anyway.

So she says she just wants that one because he's just like her own car. But she likes my Optimus Prime and thinks Alt Sunstreaker is BumbleBee (because of the racing stripes matching the movie Camaro - Sunstreaker's Alt is a Dodge Viper though).

I swear this is sort of scary. It feels more natural for chicks to make fun of you when you like this stuff - not start competing with you at collecting it!
Alternators Meister is not an Acura anything, he's a Mazda RX-8. Prowl and Camshaft are both the Acura RSX cars.

Tycho
07-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Alternators Meister is not an Acura anything, he's a Mazda RX-8. Prowl and Camshaft are both the Acura RSX cars.

Ooops. Well I screwed up somewhere. But tell me when owning an Alternator has ever really hurt someone? :D

JetsAndHeels
07-06-2007, 02:41 PM
But tell me when owning an Alternator has ever really hurt someone? :D

When I tripped over one of mine and nearly broke my nose.

darthvyn
07-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Ooops. Well I screwed up somewhere. But tell me when owning an Alternator has ever really hurt someone? :D

i skinned my knuckles on the intake manifold trying to replace the one in my caprice classic...

figrin bran
07-06-2007, 11:00 PM

Well, from a certain point of view, every toy we own hurts us in the wallet! :p

figrin bran
07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I saw some new Target Scout class toys today - Clocker and Skystrike were the names i believe?

Those Deluxes sure seem to be flying off the shelves now. I saw some guy buy around $120 worth of Deluxes/Voyagers/Leaders yesterday.

JediTricks
07-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Clocker, Skystrike, and the repaint of Energon Strongarm (jeep kinda vehicle) are all wave 2.

JediTricks
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Transformers are on sale at Target again for a few more days, so I partook:

- TF:Movie Brawl - a replacement for the one that went defective on me. This one has the right shoulder stick and the left fail, and left tread fails too, so I have to frankenstein it with the old one whose problem parts at least are on the opposite side. :ermm: $8.99

- TF: Real Gear Booster X10 - Look, I dig Laserbeak as much as most of you, but this thing sucks. It's a red MP3 player with a bluetooth-style earpiece and the screen is trans orange lines everywhere??? Way too vague alt mode that doesn't even make sense. Transformation is no great shakes either. Robot mode is pretty limited, almost no articulation, wings aren't poseable enough, earpiece cannon doesn't transform just pegs on. Totally bland, at the least the neck should have been able to move or something. Grade: D+ $6.29

- TF: Real Gear Power Up VT6 - cute little portable game system, lifts a lot visually from PSP, controls actually move as they're each a disk on a spring. Transformation is hilarious because the instructions are tiny, literally 2 panels of something moving and 1 of those is just positioning the limbs; TF is all automorph, it's not a bad concept but execution is initially frustrating as the hips ratchet out of gear easily leaving the head not at full height so you have to ratchet 1 or both hips manually to fix, and transformation back you have to move the shoulders instead of hips to get everything in place. Robot mode is cute but not really standout, legs needed more to do and hands are halfassed. Grade: C+ $6.29

- TF basic Target-exclusive Skyblast - one of the niftiest Omnicons from TF:Energon is back and finally sporting a new paint scheme - gray with mild desert camo. Vehicle mode looks good, and finally the energon bits stay on the wings thanks to some paint I guess. Energon bits are now gray with the slightest hint of purple, but not in a Decepticon way. Robot mode looks decent, a little plain some might feel but I think it works. The gold of the eyes doesn't sell it as much as I'd like perhaps, but I'll take this. All in all, a nifty entry. Grade: B+ $7.19

figrin bran
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
JT, Leader Class is on sale too, right? I went to WeHo Target last Sunday hoping to score a Prime but there weren't any Leader class toys and no sale sign (probably so they don't have to issue rainchecks)

JediTricks
07-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah, Leader is $35.99, but I only saw a couple Megaturds at Eagle Rock when I was there, Prime is hot at that price. You can request a raincheck I believe even if one is not on the shelf.

JediTricks
07-14-2007, 12:03 AM
BTW, Deluxe Brawl's destined to fail it looks like, using the translucent plastic for the gearing has resulted in teeth snapping off on a lot of them already, I'm guessing 100% failure given more time. Mine stopped working due to a tooth snapping for no reason, I've heard horror stories of HALF the teeth all snapping off at once - bad news for this design.

figrin bran
07-14-2007, 12:15 AM
The teeth on my Deluxe Brawl are still fine but probably only b/c i don't handle it all that much.

Maybe it's a ploy to get us to upgrade to Leader class Brawl? Which admittedly, looks very tempting!

figrin bran
07-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I found and bought '08 Bumblebee and Arcee (movie line) from Target this morning.

JediTricks
07-15-2007, 10:42 PM
I didn't handle mine roughly, I transformed it like a dozen times total before it stopped working, and the replacement doesn't work first time out of the package. I suspect it's only a matter of time before they die, using translucent plastic which is so much more brittle is a recipe for disaster.

Where did you find them Figgy? If you see another BB '08, please stash for me.

Target Eagle Rock had the new Fast Action Battlers in, including Frenzy - who looks worse than the packaging had suggested.

Yesterday I hit TRU and found that they were having a sale on TFs, deluxes were down to $7.99 - a buck cheaper than Target's. So, I ended up buying:

TF:Movie Scorponok - everyone kept saying how great he was, and I do like spinny things, so I buckled at that price. Kinda fun beast mode, good sculpting and paint detail, I really like the spinning turbine in the middle with its tons of rubber teeth. They didn't put in enough tail articulation though which is a shame since it looks so thrashy. Launching tail spike is alright, spinning claws are indeed cool, the pegs under Voyager Blackout don't hold him that well but the gimmick does essentially work if you hold them together. Robot mode is laughable, it looks so silly, but at least the turbine is on this side too. All in all, has some good features but could have been better. Grade: C+

figrin bran
07-15-2007, 10:49 PM
JT, that's what you get for listening to Tycho! Isn't Scorponok the only movie toy that he's admitted to buying on this thread?

I'll be sure to stash any other '08 BB's for ya. This one was at a store which you probably don't frequent too often (Rosemead Target). Arcee from the movie line isn't actually that bad (either that or these designs are growing on me).

I saw those new Fast Action Battlers at Pasadena Target yesterday as well...Frenzy, Megs, Blackout. Those Titanium 3 Optimus 3 packs (proto, truck, movie robot) were on clearance there for around $9.

Tycho
07-16-2007, 01:54 AM
JT, that's what you get for listening to Tycho! Isn't Scorponok the only movie toy that he's admitted to buying on this thread?

I bought the Cyber'Stompin' Optimus Prime, too. (And I sleep with him and make him talk to me at night).

I'll be sure to stash any other '08 BB's for ya.

I want an Alternator Quality of BumbleBee '09 (actually) so badly!

I saw those new Fast Action Battlers at Pasadena Target yesterday as well...Frenzy, Megs, Blackout.

Blackout's kind of cool. I really want a Leader Class or a MP edition of him in that kind of larger scale. MPs are basically G1's though (Ultra Magnus being a deplorable exception that I did not buy). So I don't know if I'll ever see what I want from Blackout (or Brawl for that matter - but I'm considering his Leader Class when that comes out).

I didn't handle mine roughly, I transformed it like a dozen times total before it stopped working, and the replacement doesn't work first time out of the package

This is why I barely handle ANY of my Transformers. MP01 Prime is very durable though, as are a few of the Alts. In the end, Hasbro just wants to sell stuff to you and it only has to stay put-together long enough to expire the return period.

And now maybe JT sees why I like Scorponok (not the robot mode - but I'm sure Hasbro just felt issuing a Transformer that didn't transform was kind of lame)

JediTricks
07-16-2007, 02:02 AM
JT, that's what you get for listening to Tycho! Isn't Scorponok the only movie toy that he's admitted to buying on this thread? Heh, I forgot, might have changed my mind. ;)

I'll be sure to stash any other '08 BB's for ya. This one was at a store which you probably don't frequent too often (Rosemead Target). Arcee from the movie line isn't actually that bad (either that or these designs are growing on me). Crud, stash her too then. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. :p

I saw those new Fast Action Battlers at Pasadena Target yesterday as well...Frenzy, Megs, Blackout. Those Titanium 3 Optimus 3 packs (proto, truck, movie robot) were on clearance there for around $9.There is nothing worth buying about that Titanium 3" 3pack from what I can tell.

I bought the Cyber'Stompin' Optimus Prime, too. (And I sleep with him and make him talk to me at night).Ugh, I hope you at least bought the one with the real movie voice, I saw him yesterday, WAY better than the first version with some nobody voicing it.

I want an Alternator Quality of BumbleBee '09 (actually) so badly!Then I guess you better become a billionaire because without buying Hasbro, it seems unlikely to happen.

This is why I barely handle ANY of my Transformers. MP01 Prime is very durable though, as are a few of the Alts. In the end, Hasbro just wants to sell stuff to you and it only has to stay put-together long enough to expire the return period.That's not a legitimate complaint about modern TFs, I have hundreds of TFs from the last 10 years and the failure rates are very low, less than 1%. Alts are the ones that feel the least durable though, all those windshields and hoods and doors wanting to break off.

Hasbro stands behind their products, I've returned damaged toys to them months after purchase when I deemed the failure to be their fault, they go through rigorous safety testing to assure a product will withstand play and mishandling. I can't think of another major toy manufacturer that goes to the lengths they do and stands behind their products that way.

And now maybe JT sees why I like Scorponok (not the robot mode - but I'm sure Hasbro just felt issuing a Transformer that didn't transform was kind of lame)Why YOU like it?... Probably not. :p Hasbro has issued Transformers main-line toys that haven't transformed before, most recently the Energon line had Alpha-Q (granted, that figure kinda sucked).

Tycho
07-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Ugh, I hope you at least bought the one with the real movie voice, I saw him yesterday, WAY better than the first version with some nobody voicing it.

Heck yeah! He talks and it's Peter Cullen! I got that the first day I found him. It totally brings me back to my childhood. The first issue sounded so lame I laughed out loud when I saw it in the store. I wanted something with Peter's voice really badly and Cyber'Stompin' II totally delivers.

Hasbro stands behind their products, I've returned damaged toys to them months after purchase when I deemed the failure to be their fault, they go through rigorous safety testing to assure a product will withstand play and mishandling. I can't think of another major toy manufacturer that goes to the lengths they do and stands behind their products that way.

I have to agree with you there. When I've actually needed Hasbro for a Star Wars or Transformer concern, they really came through for me.

figrin bran
07-16-2007, 02:18 AM
This is why I barely handle ANY of my Transformers. MP01 Prime is very durable though, as are a few of the Alts. In the end, Hasbro just wants to sell stuff to you and it only has to stay put-together long enough to expire the return period.

And now maybe JT sees why I like Scorponok (not the robot mode - but I'm sure Hasbro just felt issuing a Transformer that didn't transform was kind of lame)

Well, it's sure not stopping them from launching the Robot Replicas line - basically they're articulated, non transforming figures of the movie robots.

Regarding quality control, not only do I have Beast Wars toys from over 10 years ago, I still have most of the G1 toys from when i was a kid and pretty much all of them have stood the test of time.

08 Bumblebee does give me some concerns though as all the windows/windshields seem rather brittle. I can envision a lot of people breaking theirs.

darthvyn
07-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, it's sure not stopping them from launching the Robot Replicas line - basically they're articulated, non transforming figures of the movie robots.

not to mention "action masters" which were basically non-transformable action figure versions of the main characters which looked more like the robot versions from the cartoons than they did the original transformed versions.

JediTricks
07-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Uh oh, how brittle we talkin', figgy?

I took a closer look at FAB Megs and Frenzy... just awful.

figrin bran
07-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Uh oh, how brittle we talkin', figgy?

I took a closer look at FAB Megs and Frenzy... just awful.

Maybe it isn't actually as big a problem as I made it out to be. It's about the same brittleness as the windows on Barricade. The part where i fear the most on 08 Bee is the rear window. it separates in half when you pull out the legs and then when you pull out the feet, automorph moves the halves of the window inwards. I'm still not comfortable with automorphing and I get the feeling that over time, these features won't work properly anymore.

We're longtime TF toy fans so we know to never push/pull with excessive force on TF parts but i'm afraid that a lot of noobs, be they children or not, might end up breaking lots of their movie toys.

Put it this way, i have more confidence in the teething on my Brawl holding up than i do with the 08 Bee windows!

El Chuxter
07-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Action Masters didn't transform because of the nucleon! It robbed them of their abilities to transform, but it made them hella more powerful. That, and it brought back several dozen dead Autobots. And Megatron.

Beast
07-17-2007, 01:28 AM
So, which one of you crazies is buying '77 Bumblebee or the AllSpark Cube?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200126643267

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200126643272

El Chuxter
07-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Did you see the location?

"I left my Allspark in El Segundo, left my Allspark in El Segundo."

Tycho
07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah. Michael Bay or Don Muprhy owns the car I hear. Whoever is using that Auction group to sell the car for him (you can't actually contact Michael Bay personally if you e-mail about the car).

In any case, $250 million or whatever is not enough. He needs to add another $35,000 for that car on top of it.

JetsAndHeels
07-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Sweet!! I should bid on both of these!!

Like Randy Moss says, Straight up cash homey. :)

2-1B
07-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Um, how is it that the CAR is at 30K while the effing CUBE is at 40K ? :confused:

I think there is a hoax bid going on with that cube...

Beast
07-17-2007, 08:58 PM
For cripes sake, the lil Bumblebee/Disco Ball from Bumblebee's rearview mirror is up to 4K.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpremiereprops7

Tycho
07-18-2007, 12:26 AM
The car should have come with that - not have it sold separately.

I read the details on the auction - the car doesn't even transform into a 25 foot tall robot or drive all by itself!

What: they think we're going to believe that kind of thing only happens in a movie? :lipsrsealed:

Chaddymac
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
In non-movie news, I just got my BotCon non-attendee sets and these figures are GORGEOUS. And the box looks so good, I'm thinking I might actually keep it instead of selling it on Ebay to recoup the costs.

Actually, on second thought, I'm going to sell it on Ebay. Have you seen what they're going for? I might be able to sell the boxed set and keep my bagged set for free!

I also bought Alpha Trion/Weirdwolf/Vector Sigma. Should arrive on Friday. Wootini! My credit company LOVES me!

BountyHunterScum
07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
The car should have come with that - not have it sold separately.

I read the details on the auction - the car doesn't even transform into a 25 foot tall robot or drive all by itself!

What: they think we're going to believe that kind of thing only happens in a movie? :lipsrsealed:

The car went for around $40,000 in the end. If I had chance I'd own it and restore it.

darthvyn
07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
In non-movie news, I just got my BotCon non-attendee sets and these figures are GORGEOUS. And the box looks so good, I'm thinking I might actually keep it instead of selling it on Ebay to recoup the costs.

Actually, on second thought, I'm going to sell it on Ebay. Have you seen what they're going for? I might be able to sell the boxed set and keep my bagged set for free!

I also bought Alpha Trion/Weirdwolf/Vector Sigma. Should arrive on Friday. Wootini! My credit company LOVES me!

wait, "non-attendee sets"??? how much was that originally? and you have a boxed set and bagged set??? wtf?????

figrin bran
07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Target is coming out with a Movie Bumblebee Deluxe 2 pack - the 70's version and a "battle damaged" 08 version

El Chuxter
07-19-2007, 12:28 PM
The non-attendee sets were still some honking ridiculous price. :(

darthvyn
07-19-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah, i was just reading up on that. what a debacle.

BountyHunterScum
07-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Target is coming out with a Movie Bumblebee Deluxe 2 pack - the 70's version and a "battle damaged" 08 version

I saw that, I downloaded the pics too.

JediTricks
07-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Check it out, some fans made a LEGO movie Optimus Prime:

http://tfkenkon.com/g/?mode=album&album=Lego+Movie+Prime&dispsize=1000

They did a really good job making it look like the movie version, which is a good and bad thing. :p

figrin bran
07-20-2007, 01:20 AM
I've run into another QC problem on 08 Bee - the black stripes on the hood rub off quite easily.

tom brokaw
07-21-2007, 02:28 AM
sup guys, im kinda new to the forums, but i was just wondering if any of your guys 70's camaro deluxe bumblebee has weak hip-to-leg joints? mine is becoming loose. maybe im just being nit picky, but it would suck if it went to the point where he cant stand up on his own.

^^^^ and yes, i have experienced paint being easily rubbed off, even when i just took them out of the package there was already chipped paint. my leader prime experienced the worst of this and i had noticed tons of weak paint application and chipped paint right when i opened him, it chipped more when i transformed him. haha. its all good though. i hope there nothing wrong with hasbros quality control and i just happened to luck out and get all the defective and crappy toys. haha, that would suck. peace!

Chaddymac
07-22-2007, 06:06 PM
wait, "non-attendee sets"??? how much was that originally? and you have a boxed set and bagged set??? wtf?????

Same as the attendee sets, but no free figure (the invisible Classics Mirage), no comic, and none of the other random goodies you get for actually going. They also gave you an option to buy a bagged set with the boxed set, so that you could have loose figures without ruining the collectibility of the packaging (and it IS quite nice, that packaging). At any rate, I open all my TF's, so I figured I could sell the boxed set to off-set the cost of the bagged set. Now I just have to find the time to actually put it up for auction!

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 02:02 AM
I took apart my new Brawl and old Brawl, swapped the arms I wanted, then looked into the automorph gearing...

Each side has 3 red translucent gears that are super thin and slid over metal axles, the gears aren't all the same tooth design so you can't swap one for another directly. New Brawl had 2 of these gears cracked before he even got out of the package as it turns out, and old Brawl had a cracked one and another with a couple teeth snapped out of position. I did actually swap out the bad gears, but one of them was the busted gear that started all this so I had to use the one from the other side of old Brawl. Then I had to fix the problem with the treads floating on the axles instead of hitting the friction section, the problem there was the friction part of the peg was so small it was easy to assemble it out of position and still have it look right - so I tapped the peg in slightly and it now holds. All this work for a figure certain to break in the near future, but that gimmick is my favorite part of the guy.

sup guys, im kinda new to the forums, but i was just wondering if any of your guys 70's camaro deluxe bumblebee has weak hip-to-leg joints? mine is becoming loose. maybe im just being nit picky, but it would suck if it went to the point where he cant stand up on his own. Welcome aboard!

Mine doesn't have weak hip joints, they're not super tight but he stands fine.

Tycho
07-23-2007, 02:07 AM
When is that new Leader Class Brawl shipping to stores?

Are both the desert and jungle paint apps going to be available at the same time?

What do you guys think?

If it's good, I'll buy and I'll customize it a little by painting over the clear plastic parts the electronics light up. That shouldn't have been done in my opinion.

figrin bran
07-23-2007, 03:13 AM
I've been noticing lots of kids buying the FAB's, well except for Frenzy. Pegwarmer Maximus!

Deluxes are pretty much sold out everywhere I went this weekend. Leader class is nowhere to be found. Even Voyagers and Robot Heroes are extremely scarce. Heck, even Optimash Prime, whom no one seemed to want for the first few weeks, has been a steady mover.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 03:32 AM
I don't think we'll be seeing Leader-class Brawl before September, they had a test shot of him at Botcon which means they're not that far along. I could be mistaken though.

Painting over the clear bits shouldn't be too bad, but you may have to use a heavy primer for light to completely be blocked out or the paint will end up translucent. The only bit that bugs me is the one in the barrel, that does not look good there - I'd love to hear it's removable, but I highly doubt it.