PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

JediTricks
03-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Our original Transformers thread has gone missing, apparently eaten by Unicron (or, more precisely, by the wonked up server which our host was SUPPOSED to have gotten us off of by now :mad: ) so we'll have to start anew. I personally feel very bad about this both as a staff member and as a forumite, I put a lot of time into posting in that thread and now it's completely disappeared. But anyway, nothing I can do about that now, maybe in the future once we're moved...

So, the TF:Energon line is on sale at Target right now, it wasn't marked at my store but I picked up Scorponok for $19.99 instead of his normal $24.99 (which is $30 at TRU and $27 at WM); they also have basics for $5 instead of $7, deluxes for $8 instead of $10, and megas for $15 instead of $20 - I found it interesting that this is the 2nd significant sale Target's had on the Energon line in 6 months.

Scorponok wasn't a figure I really wanted, but with the recent addition of Landmine, my poor Energon Decepticons were so badly outnumbered and outgunned that the lower priced Scorponok was a vital addition to the enemy ranks. I didn't realize how similar he and Landmine were in size even though they're not really in the same scale, though Scorponok is much heavier. As I was advised on the old thread, Scorp's US colors are less awful in person than in photos, it's still not as nice as the Japanese version, but it isn't so bad. Vehicle mode is ok, I wish the tail were more articulated so the crane was believable, and I don't really know what to do with the "claws", but the sculpting on this figure is undeniable with lots of details everywhere you look. The various clear yellow bits are pretty bland for me, especially those blades that can be moved out like 10 degrees, they should have been cooler as removable blades or blades that went further out or stowed completely or SOMETHING. The electronics are pretty annoying in vehicle and bot modes, mainly that tail noise that goes off all the time and it's funny, both Landmine and Scorponok feel like they need 1 more noise even though I don't like the idea of sounds at all... I guess 1 more noise would help justify the extra cost and addition of bulky electronics.

Transformation is fairly simple but not terrible, there's enough to do to keep one busy even if it's all quite basic. Bot mode needs a mid-elbow rotation badly, the only way he can hold weapons without looking weird is to have his shoulders re-transformed into hoverjet mode. There's a lot to see and do in bot mode, but he's also kinda basic. The tail not stowing nicely, the head being too easy to accidentally de-transform, and him always leaning forward slightly in a normal stance are my chief negative complaints. Hoverjet mode is ok, but more of an afterthought than anything else. All in all, he's not too bad for $20, but I am glad that I didn't pay more as he's not super amazing.

Gah, when is Wave 3 getting here? I'm going through withdrawl already. :D

Adam
03-11-2004, 09:15 PM
:eek: NOOOO! My baby! He was only one and a half years old! :cry:

Anywho. I've heard that King Atlus has finally started showing up. 'bout time.

Speaking of sales, its a pretty damn good one. Deluxes were like, eight bucks? I read at tfw2005 that wal-mart is having one as well, with even lower prices. Crazy.

The last TF I bought was Megatron.. waiting for Mirage.. where is he?

plasticfetish
03-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Oh man... all of that gone. Geez.

Hmmm. I was gonna break with my Trans-fast and get Scorponok, but now I'm not sure. Hmmm. Only $20 huh? Hmmm.

JediTricks
03-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I'm really very bummed about that thread disappearing, I'm really sorry about that to everybody who participated in it.

Yeah, Dlxs are $8 at Target, I read the same thing about WM's even-lower sale prices and their new TF megasection going up at figures.com's boards, but WM is significantly further away from me and gas is around $2.20 a gallon here, so there was no way I was going to WM just to save another buck on Scorpo.

King Atlas, huh? I've already forgotten what this Universe version looks like. IIRC, wasn't he white and red or something? I have MW Starscream so I'll almost certainly pass, but it's nice to see they're getting this out there.

I just thought of something, what IS the nature of energon in the current series? Bots don't seem to run on it, and neither do their regular weapons, so what is this stuff?

JediTricks
03-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Just saw your post PF, if you have the money, Scorp is not a bad $20 to spend. He bolsters the Decepticon ranks, he has some neat stuff going on, and of course has play gimmicks for the kiddies (though I have a feeling some parents will quickly remove those 3 button cells from this guy :D), and his missiles are surprisingly well-hidden. If you've been on the fence like I was, consider this $20 sale an omen (or WM's $19 price if that's closer to you), and plus right now while it's early, you have really good chances of finding one at these prices.

kool-aid killer
03-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Cool, i hope to find a few basic figures at either Walmart or Target on sale. Im more into Transformers that look like animals so a few of the Decepticons in the Energon line look appealing. But my brother really likes the Energon (no suprise, he did like Armada too) toys and with his birthday coming up soon i could pick him up a few cheap. Anybody gotten Optimus Prime? I have a hard time feeling that my brother needs this version of him, he doesnt impress me at all.

JediTricks
03-14-2004, 05:44 PM
I am pretty sure one of the two other major contributors to the previous thread bought Fatimus right before Hasbro announced the mouth change.

Kool-Aid, when you look for Battle Ravage figures, look for the ones with the more recent datestamps, they have been modified to hold their bot modes better. Can't go wrong with Divebomb though, he's the man!!!

kool-aid killer
03-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Ive already got a Battle Ravage, but the new one might appeal to my brother. I just seen Divebomb at Walmart and i really like his bot mode. Cruelock also looked like one im going to pick up. Any idea on when the Walmart sale would begin? I would really like to get the jump on some of the newer figures such as Prowl, Rodimus, and Snowcat before the pegs are left full of the firetruck and Hotshots.

JediTricks
03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
The sale already began, but I've heard that only WMs near Targets are doing the sale right now.

I gave Cruellock's sword to Scorponok, what a perfect combination! Just the right scale, it's nice and large, and actually looks like he's holding it. Hard to believe it came from Cruellock, whom I'm not all that happy with as a figure on its own (though he had to have a weapon, so I gave him Starscream's sword as an over-the-shoulder cannon). I only noticed yesterday that Scorpo's jet mode is the same size as Tidal Wave's jet mode, it's weird how much bigger Tidal Wave's bot mode is than Scorp though.

Anybody notice that the Omnibots were called "Omnicons" several times last week, including at the end by Optimus himself?

kool-aid killer
03-15-2004, 08:30 PM
The Walmart is about two miles away from the nearest Target. I would have picked them up at Target, but they dont have any new figures and i was tempted on using the lawaway at Walmart. I missed half the cartoon, Killer needed some sleep...

JediTricks
03-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Spotted a new Wal-mart commercial recently that was all about Energon, specifically that they had Megatron as an exclusive for now. I hadn't realized how big Megs box really was, that was a shocker. The commercial really didn't do much to persuade me to be more interested in this figure though, he still seems only a slight cut above Fatimus.

Adam
03-19-2004, 10:05 PM
JT, they were called Omnicons, because uh, that's what they are. They're not Omnibots.

Your comment about Megatron only being a cut above Optimus is quite silly to me. :p

kool-aid killer
03-20-2004, 01:21 PM
I actually like Megatrons look. Im really thinking of picking one up for my brother. Is he only exclusive to Walmart right now or will we be seeing him released in in other stores sometime in the future? The newer figures have started popping up in greater numbers around here, which is good because im interested in quite a few.

JediTricks
03-20-2004, 04:09 PM
WEIRD! This whole time, I thought they were "Omnibots", both on packaging and on the show.

Why is my comment "quite silly" to you? I saw Megs in person yesterday at WM, this toy still doesn't look very good to me, especially for the $40 pricetag, barely a cut above Prime and the Fatimus Force Four. ;) Remember, I'm interested in everything, not just bot modes, but accessories, transformations, and alt modes.

Kool-aid, Megs is currently exclusive to WM, then later down the road will go into wide-release (in theory, I have a feeling that will strongly depend on how well he sells at WM).

Adam
03-20-2004, 05:34 PM
It seems silly to me, because I really don't have a problem with him at all except his wrists. He's way better than Prime, and much better than Armada Megatron.

JediTricks
03-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Oh, I thought you meant that they were both on a high level. :eek:

JediTricks
03-24-2004, 05:31 PM
So get this, I transforming my Scorponok back to alt mode the other day and when I removed Ravage's gun from his hand peg-hole, the peg came right off! This is exactly what I feared about these clear weapons. It turns out this accessory's rearmost peg is only molded to the gun on one half, the gun is from 2 molds, the left and right half, and the peg is part of the right half's mold, so the other half of the peg sits against the left side of the gun but isn't anchored down in any way. Even still, this came off far too easily, so I think the plastic might have broken down over time or something. Now I have to wait for Hasbro to decide whether they're replacing it or not, and while they're doing that, I have to somehow get this peg out of Scorponok's hand.

But wait, there's even more, upon checking the other energon accessories from that time, I've found that Hot Shot's gun handle peg is super loose in his hand, and the peg hole that accomodates the "sight" piece is severely cracked and probably will break.

Adam
03-24-2004, 07:44 PM
I doubt Hasbro will ever learn that clear plastic is cool in theory, but in the long run its not so cool.

JediTricks
03-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, especially for accessories.

So I was at Target yesterday where I picked up Scorpo on sale a week or so ago, and just like then, they still had the sale prices but no tags. I took Divebomb and Ravage over to the scanners, came up $4.99, so I bought 'em. When I got 'em home, I found that Divebomb was the 1st version, the one with the pointy weapon, and Ravage also had changes.

Before, in the old thread, I said that Divebomb's original version was only different because it had a point in place of the peg, but it turns out I was wrong. Where the 2 weapon halves interlock, each side has a hole and a peg, and on version 1, the pegs have a tab molded onto each and the holes have notches outside to accomodate the tabs. These tabs unfortunately also make it impossible for the figure to hold the accessories like guns. Even more surprising to me was that Divebomb himself had those same notches to accomodate the tabbed pegs, meaning that not only did Hasbro remold the weapon halves, they also remolded the figure!

If that wasn't enough of a surprise, original Battle Ravage's weakling ankles had been retooled so the ankles had small tabs that stopped the rotation in 3 positions (forward, straight up, back). The torso still has problems, but at least the bot mode can stand now.

Finally, Remy put up pics of Mirage, looks pretty cool to me but he's sporting maximum shell pieces (though the largest 2 are removable).

JediTricks
04-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, I saw yesterday that Target was having a big sale on Energon figs that was on its last day, $7 for dlx, $5 for basics, $14 for Mega, $20 for Ultra, and $34 for Supreme or whatever it's called. Mega was the best deal IMO, and they had lots of Ironhides and Jetfires in stock, but after about 20 minutes of consideration, I came to the conclusion that the stuff on top of Ironhide's alt mode was too ugly for me to bother with, and passed. I also thought about getting another Prowl or Hot Shot, $3 off on dlx was really impressive, but I ended up passing there too because I'm low on funds and already have 'em both. Finally, I picked up an extra Skyblast because of the wing problems on mine, and this version is definitely much strong with the wing energon pieces, so that was money well-spent. Also, I saw a bunch of pointy-version Divebombs, that seemed pretty weird after all this time.

Oh, and Hasbro sent me a prepaid label to return my busted Battle Ravage (they'll only exchange the WHOLE figure, not just the busted accessory), but no box or envelope or anything, so I'll have to figure out how to deal with that.

So, let me ask you guys, which Energon figure do you think integrates its energon weapon into alt-mode the best? How about the worst? How well has the line overall integrated these accessories into the alt-modes?

As for best, I think Rodimus's gun/jet engine w/flame missile go very well with his alt-mode. Skyblast's stuff is my second choice because it makes his alt-mode change from a jet into a starfighter.

As for worst, I'm leaning towards Starscream's, it just doesn't look too nice, not balanced, and oversized on his nimble jet fighter form. Second choice would be Ravage, who doesn't have 'em integrated at all, they're just plugged onto his shoulders.

As for the whole line, I dunno yet...

Adam
04-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Gentlemen... behold!

Alternator Bluestreak in box

TFU Blurr

aaaand a redeco Landmine already ( who clearly is meant to mirror Armada Hoist like Landmine mirrored Smokescreen. )

http://2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=42658

Bluestreak looks damn good.

Blurr I like. It's unusual for a Universe release to be so... hesitant with colors. He looks bright, but I suspect that is just the lighting.

I like this Landmine. The pastel blue has got to go though. This shouldn't be available for awhile... Christmas maybe?

Adam
04-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Oh and I tottally forgot about Superlink Wing Saber, who combines with Prime. And looks spiffy If I do say so ma'self.

http://2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=42665

There have also been some Wal-Mart computer sightings I don't think we have discussed yet.

Energon:

Dlx - Kicker???

Mega - Grimlock/Swoop. This set I'm really interested in. For some reason some people feared this would be a repaint Cruelock and Divebomb, but that makes little sense at this price point. I was thinking that if these are Autobots.. when Powerlinking, Grimlock becomes the torso, and swoop becomes the arms/legs.

Supreme - Black Energon Omega??

TFU

DLX - Skyjack, Blurr(who I assume is the red repaint),

Ultra - Overbite w/Buzzclaw, Longhaul/Hightower, Bonecrusher/Scavenger. Popular theory is Universe Devestator for the latter. And I would say Cybershark/Skybyte with some basic for Overbit/Buzzclaw.

And prepare yourself.. FOR BATTLE IN A BOX! :crazed: Ultra Magnus v. Treadshot, and Smokescreen v. Ransack.

http://2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=40583
http://2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=40731

These four toys will be displayed in "dramatic car crashes" in two packs, and may possibly be a TFU Bigbadtoystore exclusive. All four for $39.99 which is not bad.

As for the figures them selves, Treadshot, well sucks. But that goes without saying. Ultra Magnus isn't bad. And Smokescreen.. I hate to admit it, but I like it. As bad as I think that mold should be, I still like it damnit. Ransack would be better if his legs were not brown like Hoist's. Hopefully the final product will be different.

Anyway, figures that haven't been put in a series or price point yet are : Duststorm, Barricade, Optimus/Megatron 2 pk(crazy theory here is the Dlx Optimus with the shorter Superlink Galvatron), Energon Kicker(repaint probably), Steamhammer, Sea Spray, Sledge, Wideload, Windrazor, and Superion Maximus.

Whew.

JediTricks
04-07-2004, 07:11 PM
GAAAAH! TFU Blurr is bright red! If he's not really that bright in person, I'll probably go for it, but that is hard to look directly at.

Alternators Silverstreak looks not very special to me, so I'm on the "wait 'n see" thing now for that one.

Icecrusher Landmine looks alright except for the light blue bits, but I'm not sure how nice this will look in bot modes. If I didn't already have Landmine, I would consider this, but I really don't need 2.

I saw that Wingsaber image the other day and I really don't like what I'm seeing there - very Megazordy and I don't like either Alt or Bot modes at all.

Grimlock & Swoop set hasn't been on my mind much, I didn't even put them on my want/not-want list because I'm basically just waiting for some real details. If it's just a repaint of Divebomb & Cruellock, then it's about $5 short of value. I was thinking Divebomb and Battle Ravage should be repainted and released as Laserbeak and... Ravage. ;) Of course, all the cassette fans will have an aneurysm there since there'd be no Soundwave, but still...

Adam
04-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Jeez, more new stuff today.

First - new Alternator. Honda S2000

On the Energon side of things there is: Basic-Raptor 2(which is probably Doom-lock again), DLX - Treadshot-Autobot van?? Towline repaint maybe?, Mega- redeco Cliffjumper, Optimus Limbs(wing saber perhaps?), Alpha Quintesson, Ultra- redeco Bulkhead, Super - Galvatron(this ones a no-duh)

And there are protos of the Armada Enerong Cyclonus and Demolisher repaints that are being claimed to have an American release at some point.

Now for TFU. First, we have the Cyberjets, which we have pics for already. I'll get to those in a sec. One of them, Space Case, is part of an Ultra set. He's partnered with Soundwave. Probably the Machine Wars mold. Airide is the other, and will be a deluxe I think. There's a listing for Cyberjets under dlx, so I'm guessing he's it. Probably come with minicons or something. The other "new" dlx is Ramulus. In the Ultra listing aside from Soundwave we have: Sonar, Optimus MINOR???(why do we need this one again. we dont!), Optimus Primal(probably big convoy), and Thrustor.

Oddly, there are some G1 listings that make little sense. Ultra Magnus, Red Alert w/ Starscream????, Ransack, minicon blackout, minicon crumplezone, Cyclonus. I'm guessing this is just mislabeled, these sound like the battle in a box and Energon repaints. Except for the RedAlert one. Got no idea there.

Airride and Space Case: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3187102349

Landmine redeco w/ robot mode: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3187100778

Demolisher: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3187099230

Cyclonus: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3187099722

JediTricks
04-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda S2000, sounds pretty sweet. Hopefully he won't be as shell-oriented as Tracks & Side Swipe, there's less car there so it should prove easier to do like Smokescreen. Plus, it's just a cool car.

I thought the name "Treadshot" was going to a TFU figure coming soon.

Airride and Space Case look pretty slick, despite silly names. Kinda odd how the stealth one is an Autobot though, we need more Decepticons. Weren't some other Cyberjets used in 2 different RID 2packs a few years back?

Those 'G1' listings sound like Built To Rule sets to me.

If those are repaint Landmine's actual colors and not just half-colored Test Shot colors, then I'm really glad I got the original because that doesn't look so great in bot mode.

Oh, and I just changed the thread's title to something that hopefully will get more participation. I can't believe after what's all been happening with Transformers lately that we'd be the only 2 SSGers that want to talk about this stuff.

Adam
04-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, and plasticfetish has been slacking off a bit too. :)

Treadshot's in one of the battle in a boxes, but they could still use the name in Energon. We'll see. It could be Towline's repaint.

Off topic a little, but I played the demo for Atari's Transformers and its actually pretty cool. Nice graphics and nice controls, although they take some getting use to. It's too bad that Optimus and Megatron are the only characters that use the VA's from the show, Hot Shot's voice just sounds weird.

JediTricks
04-12-2004, 08:02 PM
They didn't use the other voice actors? That seems ridiculous! It's bad enough the transformations to alt mode are basically useless, but Red Alert & Hot Shot are characters you play as (right?) so they NEED their original voices. I hear the game looks good though. And Ben Yee's description of the party looked cool. :D

kool-aid killer
04-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Any of you guys picking up the latest Heroes of Cybertron wave? Im pretty much caught up with them, with the exception of Optimus who ive passed up on a few times already. My favorite has to be Demolisher, one of my favorite Decepticons. But i like the new Megatron too. He looks better than previous ones in my opinion. My only complaint with this wave is that Coronation Starscreams arms shoots straight out. Looks kind of funny when placed among my other HOCs.

JediTricks
04-14-2004, 07:31 PM
I haven't seen ANY of these in stores EVER, it's really weird. The only time I ever saw 'em was some overpriced marked-up scalper convention.

So what's new that's hitting shelves now or soon? I've been looking for any new Transformers, and the only thing so far I've seen was King Atlas at Kmart yesterday (which made me stick with my Machine Wars version, thank you very much ;)).

Adam
04-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Uhm, I don't recall Demolisher being released in HoC...

HoC was/is exclusive to some stores. The only store that carries them here is Walgreens.

I got as many as I could, but everytime I would go look for them, the pegs would either be empty or full of wave 1..

JT - Arcee and Insecticon are out. They are hard to find because they are one per case. :( Mirage should be out sometime soon.

kool-aid killer
04-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Im sorry i meant to say Devestator. I can only find them at ShopKos nowadays. I used to be able to run across a few at Walgreens, but they seem to have been replaced by the little Transformers that i first seen when the RiD cartoon (they come with a little tin they can be put inside of) first came out so i dont bother checking Walgreens now. Around here Optimus is the only one that doesnt move much. But i suppose i will need to get him in order to get the extra figures head.

JediTricks
04-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Yuck, 1 per case? That's lame. Which figs is it shipping with, wave 2? I guess I'll have to start looking through the older Basics again.

Darth Nihilus
04-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Energon is one of the few toylines around here with a serious release. I found Arcee and Insecticon at the same time. I like the Energon line as an improvement over Armada but the color schemes are extremely off-putting to me.

JediTricks
04-17-2004, 03:32 AM
Hmm, well I hit half a dozen stores today and no hint of either new Basic, or anything else new from Energon. Kind of a bummer.

Hasbro seems to have a real hate-on for good color schemes, when Kenner had control of the brand they were pretty tight about such things, but before and after that, it seems like the more control Hasbro has over a line, the more they want to go with outlandish colors that generally don't work and play well together. I've found that Energon's color schemes aren't generally terrible work, but that could be due to a lot of homages in the line, and they do seem to be losing their minds with some of the colors such as with Scorpo, Cruellock, Signal Flare, Bat Rav, and Fatimus.

plasticfetish
04-17-2004, 04:13 AM
Yeah, and plasticfetish has been slacking off a bit too. :)
Hello? I heard that...
I had to go out and get another job just to afford the Star Wars toys that I've been buying. ;)
Still not buying Energon... well OK, we did buy Ironhide and Divebomb. Divebomb is fun, but I just can't get into this line... it's weird. Arcee I'll get if and when I see it though. I dunno, maybe if we could keep up with the cartoon we'd be more into it... eh? I think once Hasbro gets on to something really all new... a line that doesn't seem to be just about 50/50 repaints from other past lines, then my interest will perk back up.

About that Transformers PS2 game... oh boy, I hope it is fun, because there's no way my kid's gonna let me pass on that one.

Adam
04-17-2004, 03:39 PM
PF, I'm the exact opposite of you. I buy very few Star Wars figures these days, partly because I can't find them, and partly because I'm not interested in most of them.

plasticfetish
04-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Yeah, It's just another phase of the toy collecting hobby thing I suppose. Considering how many TFs I've bought over the past several years since Beast Wars started, I doubt I'll ever be completely done with it.

Transformers were one of the few lines that I always felt compelled to be a sort of completists with... for loose figures anyway. It's just gotten overwhelming with the different lines. We ended up with just about the entire Armada line, and then with Energon and Universe it just seems to be too much. That, and TFs are the one line that the "kid" really enjoys and gets jealous over when he sees I've bought something new for myself. So... I suppose I've paused my collecting to give him a crack at the toys, as I can't afford 2 or 3 of everything. With other lines like Star Wars... I can afford to take a few hits at $5 a pop, (since we don't see much anyway) but with TFs it's just too much buying 2 at $30 or $40 or whatever. I'll end up with a half dozen or so that I really like from Energon just to keep a good timeline going. That's always been my goal anyway -- to have good sampling from all of the lines, both U.S. and Japanese, all the way back to G1 and Diaclone.

Speaking of Japan... I may have a new source for Japanese toys... older ones I hope. A friend of mine just flew over to propose to his girlfriend. From now on he'll be flying back and forth a few times a year, and I'll be training him on what to look for (plastic, vinyl and diecast) at stores and swap meets in Japan. It could turn up some cool stuff... we'll see.

Adam
04-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Did any one else catch the Energon 4 episode marathon a couple of weeks ago? I think it was episodes 8-11.

JediTricks
04-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Wow, no, completely missed it. The schedule has been so confusing, I really have no idea where I left off or when a new ep will air.

Adam
04-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Some interesting news out of Japan today. Apparently Takara is going to start there own Universe type line. But their line, Robomasters, will include heavily retooled, and resized figures. There's some good stuff here, check it out: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=2831&start=0

plasticfetish
04-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Those are interesting. I wonder what the packaging looks like... it's been ages since I bought a Japanese TF. I could see myself getting sucked into buying that Megatron.

---

On a slightly related note, speaking of Takara... I finally found a Microman Gatchaman Ken today! Nifty stuff! Just put him all together and it's crazy how much you get for around $7. I wish Hasbro/Takara would just break down and do a Transformers and Microman merge line. That would be very nice.

JediTricks
04-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Re: Microman 2003 G-force/BOTP/Gatchaman figure, Yeah, that figure is great, I'm amazed at how well they got the face painted, and even though the cape is rigid, I still think it looks awesome. I love all the figures in that 2003 line and can't wait to track down this year's models (especially comicbook Batman).

As for these Takara Dlx-size figures, they look pretty cool, I'm especially impressed by 20th-style Prime & BW Primal. I doubt Hasbro will release these in the US, but they SHOULD.

Adam
04-24-2004, 11:16 PM
I predict Hasbro will release the Prime and Starscream as part of the movie toys when the TF "live action" movie comes out.

JediTricks
04-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Interesting theory.

So I checked the schedule, and I cannot find episodes of Energon airing past episode 10. Also, after ep 10 airs at the end of this week, it appears the show is not airing at all. Has Energon been canceled or put on hiatus?

Adam
04-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Hiatus. I remember hearing something about the VA's taking a vacation?

Energon Tow-Line gallery: http://www.52toys.com/gallery/energon/towline/index.html

Universe Decepticon "Jetfire"(probably will be renamed.): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3190124666&rd=1

plasticfetish
04-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Oh hey... I almost forgot, and I'm not sure what the interest level is, but TRU is blowing out BTRs for really cheap. $2 for the smallest to $10 for the Megatron set. At this price, they're almost worth it I suppose.

Adam
04-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Still not worth it me thinks. :D

plasticfetish
04-28-2004, 01:36 AM
You know, I still ended up spending like $10 on a few of them for my son... hesitantly. Eh... good toys for the backyard I suppose. :ermm:

---

OK. I fell off the Transformers wagon a bit tonight. My local Wal*Mart had Arcee, Insecticon and Demolishor on the pegs. I ended up buying all three. Ooof! So much for that.

They all looked really good, Insecticon very much so. I'm pulling them out and fiddling with them right now, so... more later.

Adam
04-28-2004, 07:49 PM
I did a little huntin' and came up short. I did see TFU Ramjet again. I would probably have picked it up, if the minicons were recolored. Oh well.

JediTricks
04-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Yeah, BTR is on clearance at my Targets as well, and I'm still not interested. Last week, when I picked up no toys at all from any line, I considered GI Joe BTR on clearance but ultimately passed. Now that I've read your quicky review PF, I'm glad I saved my money.

PF, I am SOOOOOOO jealous that you found these in LA and I didn't. :cry: :greedy: LMK what you think of 'em all, especially Insecticon, I've been very disinterested but with not finding new TF lately, I've been considering it...

Thanks for the pics of Tow Line, that sucker is just BEGGING for a repaint, but looks good overall. I wonder why the photographer didn't transform the base though. And what's with the powerlinx combination points on the base, is this thing supposed to combine with the Deluxes alone like a walking battle base, or is it just being used as a way to attach the Tow Line robot to the Deluxes?

Universe Jetfire, keep that sucker away from me. Yow! I'm not seeing what the point of that is.

Adam
04-28-2004, 10:21 PM
And what's with the powerlinx combination points on the base, is this thing supposed to combine with the Deluxes alone like a walking battle base,

I've seen official Takara pics some where of just that. The "trailer" PLed with Rodimus. It is not pretty.

plasticfetish
04-29-2004, 01:48 AM
PF, I am SOOOOOOO jealous that you found these in LA and I didn't. :cry: :greedy: LMK what you think of 'em all, especially Insecticon, I've been very disinterested but with not finding new TF lately, I've been considering it...
Well, all in all, they're each pretty good I'd say.

Arcee is kind of silly really, but at the same time fun. The feet folding out into high heels is just plain goofy and the obvious fem peach colored paint almost seems a bit much. Once she's transformed and holding that huge weapon though, it's not a bad looking little bot. My only real problem has to do with those weird little hands they gave her. That and the fact that the arms don't have much articulation at all. Very limited range of poses available. I do like the vehicle mode... it's a real throwback to the pre-Armada stuff, and in some ways kind of reminds me of a few of the Microman 2000 toys that I have. I'm kind of wondering if I could use a Microman figures as a rider (Hmmm.)

Insecticon has a very "happy meal" kind of feel to him in bot mode, which is both good and bad. He's pretty sturdy, has some reasonably good detail and a nice color scheme (I think.) In bug mode I like him best really, it just feels and looks more fun that way. Bot mode isn't so bad, but he's got some seriously limited articulation. Even so, it really does have a similar kind of feel as the G1 toy that inspired it... but with more plastic and it's way more clunky looking. I'm a sucker for bug Transfomers and I like this one... it's fun to play with.

I'm also a sucker for transforming dump trucks I think. (Strange.) My biggest problem with the Energon line has been that most of the vehicles have suffered from being way too Tonka looking. That, and the paint schemes have been way too crazy... way too obnoxious. (I'm the guy that usually loves the brighter Japanese paint jobs on stuff, but It's just gone too far in some cases.) With Demolishor you get a little of everything I suppose. There's Tonka parts and there's some ugly bright paint. There's also some nice detail, play value and... well, I suppose given that it's a burly rocket firing dump truck, the bright paint and Tonka stuff kind of works for this one.

So, yep, not a bad bunch. I really hope that Arcee doesn't end up being too hard to find. I looked again today at another W*M, but saw none. And yeah, if you're looking for a TF fix, I'd say that Insecticon is pretty good. Not great, but good. Don't expect too much... but for $6 it's worth it. I may end up getting all of the Terrorcons and Omnicons now... I'm digging their size and the accessories.

JediTricks
04-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Hey Adam, does that mean it can also powerlink with a figure as the "pants" so it becomes a legless torso hovering (or rolling) around? Oh the shame, the shaaaame! On the other hand, with the Tow Line base as the ground section, maybe Prowl or Rodimus could be converted into an artillery unit instead of a robot top.

Thanks for the reviews PF, very cool. I'm not sure I'm sold on Insecticon just yet though, I'm a real fan of the bot modes.

I've got all the wave 1 and 2 basics except for the Energon Saber, I'd recommend 'em all except Cruellock and maybe Perceptor.

Adam
04-30-2004, 09:52 PM
The picture I saw had Rodimus in bot mode attached to the "trailer". I dare not search for it, it was scary.

JediTricks
05-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Can't wait to see how Hasbro tries to explain this in their US instructions. :D

So, today I found Demolishor at 1 WM and Arcee & Insecticon at another, they were the only ones at each. I didn't even look at Demolishor, just saw the green and put him at the bottom of my cart so he wouldn't get poached; Arcee & Insecticon were buried amongst a bunch of wave 2 basics, but I spent a few minutes looking them over... after they were in my cart, of course. ;)

PF, I don't think Arcee is that silly, but she's not as cool a she-bot as either of the dedicated Blackarachnia figures from BW/BM. I agree, the bustline and high-heeled boots are a bit goofy, but it has source material to draw from. I really like her alt mode, I'd love to see this alt mode and transformation scheme revisited as a Deluxe bot in the future. The hands are weird, but I find them more weird in concert with the shoulders and arms (which, btw, are also set a little too far back). I wish the head were ball-jointed, and PF, is yours really super hard to turn? I don't like the weapon that much yet, it might grow on me in time but it isn't terribly stable and doesn't look nice attached to the bike; the strawberry energon chip is mega tight on the spark crystal housing. Oh, and speaking of the spark crystal housing... LAME! Having this open cylinder shoved into her torso makes no sense. Still, I like this figure overall a lot, probably my favorite of the 3.

Insecticon basically I bought because A) you and a few others have given him generally favorable reviews; B) my Decepticons are woefully outnumbered; and C) WM had basics on sale $1 off. ;) I do appreciate the dark legs and um... tusk? plastic rather than the prototype's orange, but this thing is mega-chibby, possibly the closest thing to SD Transformers we've ever gotten in the US. And giving him a transformation difficulty rating of 2 was, to say the least, quite generous. His weapon is not really doing much for me, but it's OK, stick on rotating handgun doesn't seem like an ultimate weapon though. I wish the tusk and front pair of legs had pegs so they could be detached and used as hand weapons, that would have really raised this figure's rating for me. Certainly BW-era covered TF nsects better than this, but even with all that, he's STILL a step above Cruellock.

Demolishor really should have been named Rhinox, the stocky body and especially the head remind me of that BW figure. Now that I've freed him from his plastic prison, the first thing that came to mind was "where's all the cool wear and weathering paint from the prototypes?!?" Heck, even the giant Decepticon symbol in the truck bed was supposed to be worn and scratched up, without it he's too much of a Tonka truck, too lifeless. The alt mode is ok, a little too gappy and at times flimsy. Transformation is kinda cute, but it'd be a lot more fun if the center torso and head section weren't so loose that the figure's head gets pushed down all the time. The Hyper Power modes are fun, I like the clear stuff going on there with the fake missiles. Some parts snap so loud during transformation, I thought they were breaking. The head articulation is quite clever, mine is too loose but it's still a good idea. I foresee the hands getting broken, the plastic is too thin and brittle thanks to being clear, and the hole is a smidge too small at the top for Energon accessories from other figures, so you can force 'em in but it's a risk of breakage.

Adam
05-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Wow, I can't believe you bought Demolisher considering your reaction when we first saw his proto. :D

He's probably going to be the first Energon toy I pass up on, though it's entirely possible I'll pick him up out of boredom.

And * sort of spoilers* I don't really like how he's handled in Superlink. He's not really the same character.

plasticfetish
05-02-2004, 04:20 AM
PF, I don't think Arcee is that silly, but she's not as cool a she-bot as either of the dedicated Blackarachnia figures from BW/BM.
Yeah, I suppose all things considered, maybe it's not so silly. I suppose also, they have to be pretty limited with how they can show "female" with a TF toy. (High heels are pretty much it.) I do agree though... it's the best of these three for sure.

I wish the head were ball-jointed, and PF, is yours really super hard to turn? I don't like the weapon that much yet, it might grow on me in time but it isn't terribly stable and doesn't look nice attached to the bike
I didn't know that the head could turn... yeah it's tight. The weapon is too big I think. It's a really awkward deal with that big item on one side, but I do like the bow idea. And yeah, in vehicle mode the weapon isn't doing much. It helps the bike stand up, but it's not very slick.

giving him a transformation difficulty rating of 2 was, to say the least, quite generous.
Insecticon's not exactly super complicated for sure.

Demolishor really should have been named Rhinox, the stocky body and especially the head remind me of that BW figure. Now that I've freed him from his plastic prison, the first thing that came to mind was "where's all the cool wear and weathering paint from the prototypes?!?"
Yeah, weathering would have made this one much better. As is, I do like the clear green parts, but it needs some distressing. "Flimsy" is a good word to describe the what's going on with the whole head/torso idea. I like the "Attack Mode" setup, with the head rotated forward and the missiles up, but the whole thing seems pretty unstable. Doesn't lock into place very well.

---

So yeah... from here I'm probably gonna grab Strongarm, Skyblast (?), Divebomb, Cruellock (??) and then Scorponok and maybe Megatron.

Adam
05-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Definately don't miss out on Divebomb. Megs is a good toy too.

JediTricks
05-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Wow, I can't believe you bought Demolisher considering your reaction when we first saw his proto. :D

He's probably going to be the first Energon toy I pass up on, though it's entirely possible I'll pick him up out of boredom.

And * sort of spoilers* I don't really like how he's handled in Superlink. He's not really the same character.You could chalk it up to my need for more Decepticons, but it also helped that he wasn't mistransformed or colored ugly unlike the prototype test shot.

If you like Snowcat at all, I can't imagine how you wouldn't be into Demolishor.

That sucks about the show having him be not the same guy. What's the point of giving the character the same name then? I mean, Armada renamed characters who had the same sparks but updated bodies, those were the same guy and they got new names. Weird.

I didn't know that the head could turn... yeah it's tight. The weapon is too big I think. It's a really awkward deal with that big item on one side, but I do like the bow idea. And yeah, in vehicle mode the weapon isn't doing much. It helps the bike stand up, but it's not very slick. I agree, the combined bow is too big for her. It'd look better with larger figures, at least a Mega though, I don't think Deluxes are big enough. Someone suggested having Arcee hold just the tailpipe pieces as clubs, I like this idea since the other parts of the separated weapon don't work well in her hands.

On mine, I kept putting the parts on so the pegs were further down than the wheels, it took me a while to figure out that I had to rotate the parts up.

I like the "Attack Mode" setup, with the head rotated forward and the missiles up, but the whole thing seems pretty unstable. Doesn't lock into place very well. At first, I thought you meant the figure's stance was unstable, and I was going to point out that he's a standing champ (so long as his hips don't give out, which sometimes they do), but then I realized you meant the central block. Mine isn't terribly unstable, but it's darn close, the central block elements really should all be tighter, on mine, the head will slip back into the body and rotate so it can't come back out - that's annoying as heck.

Like Adam said, don't miss Divebomb, great figure. BTW, that reminds me, I've been seeing a lot of the pointy-weapon variant lately, so watch for that (IMO, avoid it, get the one with pegs on both ends of the weapon). I would recommend Strongarm, probably Skyblast too, but I wouldn't be sure about recommending Scorponok and would definitely NOT recommend Cruellock unless you dig his sword.

---

BTW, I had an idea for a new figure, it'd be somewhat similar to this new Demolishor except that it'd be a bobtail truck and the "box" rear section would break into 4 pieces on transformation that looked identical from the outside and were on articulated arms that held the front set above the shoulders and the back set down by the hips. The 2 front boxes would have a cluster of missiles at the front of each, and the backs would flip open to the side to reveal targeting scanners; the 2 rear boxes would have a rather large gun barrel slide out and have controls on the interior back, and the back coverings would flip up to become targeting reticles. The idea would be that all 4 modules would be on standard-size pegs that could come off the articulated arms, the front 2 would be over-the-shoulder launchers, the back 2 would be hanging down at the hips as holstered guns, the modules could interconnect with each other to make 2x, 3x, or even 4x rifles with either the barrel or missile cluster as the front. The weapons over the shoulders and at the hips would be a Hyper Power mode, and in alt mode, the hyper power mode would be that you could tilt up the "box" section of the truck to reveal the missile clusters (I'd want it to be a non-firing missile so it wouldn't distort the design of the toy). An added bonus would be that the figure, once the weapons were removed, could have ANY 4 Energon weapons with standard size posts plugged into the articulated arms.

Adam
05-03-2004, 10:36 PM
That sucks about the show having him be not the same guy. What's the point of giving the character the same name then? I mean, Armada renamed characters who had the same sparks but updated bodies, those were the same guy and they got new names. Weird.

In Superlink, he IS renamed to Irontread.

Adam
05-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Well, I saw Demolisher today, and he didn't look as bad color wise as I thought. And because you both like him, I picked him. He's not bad, pretty good actually. His arms are too small though. Hypermode is cool, and he's got great articulation.

Went to a Wal-Mart and found the rest of wave three, that being Arcee, Insecticon and Mirage. I pretty much agree with you on the basics, so I won't say anything more.

Mirage is pretty good. He seems a bit loose, but he's got great articulation. The shell is removable of course, but I prefer to just have it stick straight up in bot mode. His hyper mode is kinda blah. I like the launchers on his arms though, and the minicon ports are nice bonus.

JediTricks
05-04-2004, 03:58 PM
In Superlink, he IS renamed to Irontread. Well why didn't you say so in the first place? :D Kinda odd name though since he has no treads anymore.

Glad you like Demolishor, thank goodness for peer pressure, eh? ;) I agree with you on his arms, I never really thought about them that way before but they are too small (and I think poorly used in the transformation scheme as well).

Nice find on Mirage, he's the one I haven't seen yet. I don't like Hasbro limping wave 3 out like this, it's not dignified for the line and destroys the excitement and momentum they've been building. Then again, aren't they like a month late on the latest Alternators figure?

So, what did you guys think of my TF idea?

plasticfetish
05-04-2004, 11:34 PM
So, what did you guys think of my TF idea?
Sounds good... I picture it looking kind of like a Mech Assualt bot. The launcher thing is what I like the most about Demolishor, so any variation on that theme is good by me.

Is this the same size as Demolishor or bigger?

Adam
05-05-2004, 12:49 AM
That sounds pretty cool JT.

JediTricks
05-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys.

PF, I was hoping it'd be the same size as Demolishor, so pretty much any Energon figure could use the accessories alone without looking stupid while Ultra and larger figures would look good holding the connected rifle versions. It might be too much for a Deluxe, but I'd rather they cram it in there than use it in a $20 Mega where they'd want to add electronics and try to oversize the weapons to fire missiles in a futile effort to justify the price (damn I miss the $15 pricepoint size, that'd be perfect for this really).

BTW, got my replacement Battle Ravage in the mail yesterday, massive envelope and the bubble was smashed pretty bad, but the toy inside is intact. So Hasbro gets a gold star there.

I'm feeling a little antsy about getting more Deluxes, Tow Line & Downshift come to mind pretty quick; Sharkticon & Slugslinger didn't immediately come to mind but I do want 'em, it's just that their momentum kinda slumped. Mirage is like a cliffhanger, I don't want to get my hopes up there but I can feel him almost within my grasp; other Megas/Ultras on my list are Cliffjumper, Bulkhead, and Shockblast... and strangely, it's Shockblast who is on my mind the most out of all those.

Adam
05-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Well there is something about a bot that has a gunarm that can peirce any armor I guess. :D

More on Mirage: I didn't get to mess with him a whole lot before I commented on him, so I'll go a little more in depth. He has a strange elbow joint that is necessary for alt mode. It comes out looking off in bot mode unless you position it just right. His legs have an annoying tendency off popping off right above the knee. It happens way to easily. I like the way the did his feet are in reguards to transformation. They pretty much just folds back, and the leg supports unfold by themself.

One of the main detractions of this figure is his hollow chest. If you lift both arms up, you can see through the figure. The other negative aspect is the large chunks of kibble that hang on his back. On the box art and pictures on the back, it seems they just kind of trail behind him, but I prefer to have them sticking up.

His hyper mode is not that exciting. The same pop up missles in alt mode just pop up over his head. But it does give him plenty of firepower to work with.

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Hmm, I hadn't heard almost any of that about Mirage, those are some serious issues for a TF collector like myself. The more I look at this figure's pics, then the price tag, then the issues that have been brought up... the more I think I'll be saving my $20 even though my Decepticons need reinforcements. Just too many little issues adding up for my tastes to enjoy.

plasticfetish
05-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Mirage hasn't been near me at all yet. I was sort of hoping to see it.

I did pick up Divebomb -- it's our second actually, the kid got him a while ago. I grabbed the version where both "wing" weapon things are blunt on the end. A nice toy. Fun to play with and very sturdy. I grabbed Strongarm as well. He's cool, relatively fun to fiddle with and looks good in bot mode, but getting him to stand up is a bit hard. The others I may pass on for a while now... on second look, they don't seem that great. (Still may grab Scorponok or Megs though.)

Been spending too much money... gotta slow down a bit.

JediTricks
05-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Glad you dig Divebomb, I can't recommend that figure highly enough to friends and relatives and strangers on the street... ;)

Strongarm stands on flat surfaces when you have his legs together, but when they splay apart, the small heelspurs come out of alignment. What I do to stand him at that point is move the toes (aka the windshields) up a little and reposition his legs to compensate, from there he can stand even on carpet.

Tycho
05-22-2004, 05:26 PM
I don't collect Transformers, but I used to a long time ago - had all the Generation 1's through Technobots era, that sort of thing.

I was thinking about picking up the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime. This looks like an excellent product. What do you think?

I also was a fan of the cartoon and the movie. I'm into characters more than I'm into whether "it's the coolest Transformer concept ever made."

But what I really like about Optimus is that he looks poseable like an action figure, while he's big enough and detailed enough that he can actually transform.

In light of there one day being a "live action" Transformers movie (keep hearing rumors that they are making this - is it true?) I figure this is the Optimus Prime I'd want in my collection.

If the figures were super-poseable and actually transformed, I'd also want:

Megatron
Starscream
Ironhide
Jazz
Hot Rod
Kup
Blurr
Springer
RC
Wheeljack
Bumblebee
Mirage
Galvatron
Cyclonus
Scourge

Here's the thing though: super-poseable as action figures means that their elbows and wrists turn, their shoulders turn, their knees and ankles are articulated, possibly their waist too.

The new Optimus looks like he fits that bill. Does he?

Do you think they will make any of these other "main characters" that good.

I've also read issues about Megatron being a gun, so they won't do that anymore since he looks too much like the real deal and Hasbro won't do toy guns of that kind anymore. Is this true?

Can they make a Megatron transformer so good that he changes sizes - so that he's on scale to Prime as a robot, but shrinks so much when he changes into a gun that he can fit in Prime's hands - even if he's offscale?

Can Starscream be made so that he's an accurately sized jet next to Prime's truck, but he folds up enough as a robot to really be accurate in size to Prime and Megatron, hold Megatron as a gun, and still be articulate.

You can't deny that they could engineer this, right?

And Prime costs $65 - so why not produce it and make people pay for it.

If I like these super-realistic Transformers, do you have any other recommendations for me of product already released?

Ratchet looked pretty good the other day...

Adam
05-23-2004, 01:20 PM
I don't collect Transformers, but I used to a long time ago - had all the Generation 1's through Technobots era, that sort of thing.

I was thinking about picking up the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime. This looks like an excellent product. What do you think?

If you had any enjoyment collecting G1 TF's, then 20th/Masterpeice Prime is right up your alley. He's my favorite TF toy.

In light of there one day being a "live action" Transformers movie (keep hearing rumors that they are making this - is it true?)

Yes! Some of the producers who worked on the X-Men films are working on it.

If the figures were super-poseable and actually transformed, I'd also want:

Megatron
Starscream
Ironhide
Jazz
Hot Rod
Kup
Blurr
Springer
RC
Wheeljack
Bumblebee
Mirage
Galvatron
Cyclonus
Scourge

The is a G1 Starscream coming out in a line called "Robotmasters" by Takara. This SS will be teeny compared to Prime though. Jazz will actually be offered in the Alternators line. (Alternators are reimages of G1 characters using current car models.) He won't be called Jazz though, Hasbro lost the copywrights to that name. Instead he will be called Meister, which is part of his Japanese name. It's Jazz though, I know I will call him that. He is a Mazda Rx-8. Any of the others could show up in Alternators as well, and with the movie toys that will inevitably be released.

Here's the thing though: super-poseable as action figures means that their elbows and wrists turn, their shoulders turn, their knees and ankles are articulated, possibly their waist too.

The new Optimus looks like he fits that bill. Does he?

Pretty much. The ankles do move, but not in a side to side motion. There's a downside.. because he is made of diecast, his chest make him top heavy, so you can't really put his articulation to its extremes.

I've also read issues about Megatron being a gun, so they won't do that anymore since he looks too much like the real deal and Hasbro won't do toy guns of that kind anymore. Is this true?

Bingo. Although I think its "realistic" toy guns...

Can they make a Megatron transformer so good that he changes sizes - so that he's on scale to Prime as a robot, but shrinks so much when he changes into a gun that he can fit in Prime's hands - even if he's offscale?

Well, it isn't really necessary for that last part - Prime comes with a Megatron in gunmode. I'm pretty sure they could make a Megs in scale to Prime, but there's no way they could shrink the gun.. which may solve the whole problem with Megs being a gun anyway. A giant pistol doesn't look real.. right?

Can Starscream be made so that he's an accurately sized jet next to Prime's truck, but he folds up enough as a robot to really be accurate in size to Prime and Megatron, hold Megatron as a gun, and still be articulate.

Probably, if you sub Megatron for Prime's Megs in gunmode.

If I like these super-realistic Transformers, do you have any other recommendations for me of product already released?

ALTERNATORS! (You're probably not interested in Energon, so I won't even mention it.) Smokescreen, Sideswipe, Silverstreak(Bluestreak) are out, Subaru Impreza, Dodge Viper and Subaru Impreza WRX respectively. Smokescreen and Bluestreak should suit you articulation wise, but Sideswipe doesn't have much in his legs. I still recommend him though. They are about half MP Prime's height,and they make good troops for him.

Tycho
05-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks Adam! I'll pick up that 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime. He was always such a cool character!

When will that Transformers Live Action movie be complete?

Why did Hasbro lose copyrights to certain names? Is Hot Shot supposed to be HotRod? How could they lose those names? Seems very short-sighted of them. Besides, HotRod to Transformers is like Destro to GI Joe. You don't want some other company to take that away from you!

You think they'll get the names back in time for the movie?

Do you think the movie will produce mass-made amounts of plastic crap? Or do you think they'll do quality work on the stuff like the Alternators' line?

How come they switched cars for the alternators in the first place? Jazz was supposed to be a Porsche!!!

Thanks for the great reviews. While I'm not comfortable with Alternators being different cars than they used to be, they do look really good when I've seen them in stores.

What's up with Ratchet? He actually isn't an Alternator, but seems to look just as good and way better than how they did him and Ironhide back in the G1 days, as then they barely looked like robots. Is Ratchet pretty good?

Adam
05-23-2004, 05:25 PM
??? What Ratchet are you talking about? :confused:

Hasbro lost many copywrights from just not using them. For example, in Energon, a character called Shockblast is going to be introduced, and he's an obvious Shockwave. Shockwave is being used by that company that makes those crappy GI Joe clones, Corps, or whatever. Bumble Bee is owned by Mattell, and there's more. They almost lost Megatron at one point.

They say the movie will be out in 2005, but I find that highly unlikey with the amount of effects shots there will be.. they would have had to start filming it already me thinks. I also have no doubt that Hasbro will take advantage of it toywise. From what they said at OTFCC '03, there will still be a TV show line when the movie is supposed to hit, so that isn't going away. As for the quality, I'm not sure.. If Star Wars is any indication though...

Some of the cars were switched because they either: A) Don't manufacture the model anymore or B) Couldn't get the liscense from the car manufacturer.

JediTricks
05-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Did you guys see the Wizard World Phily coverage? (I found the links at bwtf.com)

It's too bad Megazarak (repaint of Armada Megatron) is an OTFCC exclusive, it would have made a cool TFU figure (and with that bright blue color on some of the smaller pieces, it even has a signature TFU horrible colorscheme ;)).

I'm super depressed about Sentinel Prime being another OTFCC exclusive, except for the use of white plastic (again, what the hell is wrong with Hasbro and these awful left-turn color choices for certain parts?!?), he would have been a worthy TFU replacement for my never-found Energon Ultra Magnus & never-bought Armada Overload.

Adam
05-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Sentinel Maximus looks too much like UM in vehicle mode.. I don't really dig his robot mode colors.

I like Mega Zarak less every time I see him.. and he IS a TFU item. :p All OTFCC items are Universe.

I'd rather have that weird Energon Megatron recolor that popped up, that is if they tone the green down a bit.. oh that's right, we never talked about that here huh?

Prime and Megs repaints are coming.. but they are store exclusives some say. Does that mean we'll get non store exclusive repaints?

Prime: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3193848483&rd=1

Megatron: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3193847818&rd=1

This thread has repaints that are assumed to be general releases. Repaint Ravage, repaint Cruellock(Doom-lock), repaint Ironhide, exclusive Megatron robot mode, and a terrible picture of exclusive Prime: http://www.2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=45347

Adam
05-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Also, here's Superlink Lucky Draw Galvatron(lot nicer than our repaint :( ) : http://www.tfw2005.com/article-1957--0-0.html

This thread has several Universe toys that I don't really care about: http://www.2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=45346

And now for the bad news.. Robotmaster Starscream.. kinda sucks. Look at his arms, or lack there of. http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAK12423

Most of the listings on this page have newer pics : http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist.cgi?Series=Robot+Masters+%28Transformers%2 9&Dis=2

JediTricks
05-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Adam, since I don't have Energon UM, I'm not holding that against SP.

Yeah yeah, but when I say "TFU" I don't mean "TFU that you can't get anywhere but super-limited at this one convention". ;)

Lucky Draw is limited to only 50 pieces... why can't Hasbro & Takara just do the colors right the first time?!? Ridiculous. That yellow/green/dark green/black repaint is no prize pig IMO, the mold doesn't work well with those colors (though I can't imagine any toy working well with that bright green you mentioned).

Repaint Energon Prime - pointless IMO. Repaint Ravage gets uglier each time I see it, those colors just scream "avoid me like the plague". Doomlock actually has a unified color scheme, red/orangy dinosaur look, and I'm shocked that they're giving him orange Energon accessories, but I still dislike the toy design and won't buy another.

Repaint Ironhide finally makes some sense out of the mold, but turning the top junk blue and yellow does nobody any favors. Still, now that someone has pointed out to me that Cliffjumper is a Mega combiner (and of course it's obvious now that I've heard it though still not seen it), I think I'll be getting this repainted Ironhide.

On that TFU thread, I don't mind seeing Cheetor again even though he's gray, and Tarantulas is always a welcome sight though since I have already have the original, I'll pass. But what the hell is Hasbro thinking rereleasing Mutant Beast Soundwave?!? That figure sucked back in the day, it doesn't even have a robot mode except for the tiny head that pokes out when you hit a button, and the belly shell pieces and hips are trash. NOBODY wants that! Finally, don't like Waspy's gold & red scheme.

Robotmaster Starscream's arms are lame, but I might be able to forgive that depending on how it looks in person. Takara should have done a Robotmaster Megatron though (not Beast Megs, the real mccoy).

Adam
05-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Robotmaster Starscream's arms are lame, but I might be able to forgive that depending on how it looks in person. Takara should have done a Robotmaster Megatron though (not Beast Megs, the real mccoy).

I was thinking that too.. I just hope I hear of a domestic release before I spend 20 bucks on a 10 dollar toy.. RM Megatron could come later.

I'm just glad we're getting the Machine Wars basics, I LOVE those little buggers.

As is, I want G1 Convoy, Starscream, Wrecker Hook, Ligier(Mirage), Wing Stan, Air Hunter, R Blade, and I deffinately want Dreadwing and Smokescreen. You know, despite horrendus colors, Generation 2 really had some nice molds. Beast Convoy and Beast Megs I sorta want, but would be the last ones I pick up.

kool-aid killer
05-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey guys, i stumbled across a Soundwave figure in good condition at a antique shop i seldom visit at a "mall" that is slowly dying. From what i was told, i missed out on some cassettes by a day or two. I got him for a little over $10 and from what i can see he is only missing his weapons and the cassette. One question though, in stereo mode, are his weapons supposed to fit in the back or does something else go there?

Adam
05-27-2004, 09:13 PM
I think the weapons go in the back, but don't hold me to that.

JediTricks
05-28-2004, 01:50 AM
His "weapons" are batteries, one turns into a shoulder-mounted launcher and the other turns into a pistol. Since they are batteries, yes, they go in the back. Good find on that one, Soundwave was always one of my favorites, and I only recently learned that there were MORE cassettes with other designs that are fairly rare... and that just made me want 'em all even more! ;)

I couldn't get over the colors of G2 or the hollow feel some of them had, it made 'em seem cheap. I do like the designs of the auto-changing Machine Wars vehicles, Hoist/Hubcap (reused in RID and now here in RM) in particular is the best example of a real transformation of any auto-changer I know, things really look neat as panels move, parts change orientation, and the head reveals. But I'm not as much a fan of the jets simply because I hate Transformer jets that are from the school of design where alt mode is "jet on top and robot arms & legs are a large bulky attachment hanging on the bottom" like Armada & Energon Starscream, Armada Thrust is the only recent TF jet I can think of that avoids this.

kool-aid killer
05-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Have you seen how much loose cassettes can go for on ebay? :eek: I plan on getting a couple...eventually but would prefer that Takara or even Hasbro would reissue a few, it would be much easier on the wallet. Since my other lines are at a slow period right now im going to be able to swoop up a few of the Beast Wars figures i missed out on. The pictures wouldnt come up on the links Adam provided so i dont know who all will reappear but its most likely that its none that i need.

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Haven't seen the cassette prices in a while, but not surprising, they've always been fan favorites. I so badly wanted Takara to release a Soundwave set with EVERY cassette figure, but no dice.

Target North Hollywood had Megas on sale for $15 today, another great TF:Energon sale by Target, what's up with that?

plasticfetish
05-29-2004, 02:12 AM
At one of my local KBs I spotted "MicroMaster Defensor" today. Six small carded 'bots with accessories that join together to form a pretty nice looking but smallish robot figure. Each of the six was going for $3.99 which I decided was a bit steep at this point, and so I passed, even though it looks like a lot of fun.

They only had one set BTW, so I dunno how hard these are going to be to find. Mmmm. The more I think about it, the more I kind of wish I'd bought them now. (But I had to smog the car today instead.) I'd rather these came boxed as a set like the Japanese ones. Boxes are nice.

Adam
05-29-2004, 02:16 AM
You can get the Japanese micromaster combiners including this one for around 20 bucks on the net. They're kinda neat, but there's other things I would want to buy first.

plasticfetish
05-29-2004, 02:31 AM
Yeah, exactly.
The way it goes with KB, I figured I'd be seeing them for $1.99 soon enough anyway.

Tycho
05-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Went out to Wal-Mart where I last saw that 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, but he was gone and I left empty-handed.

I guess I'll buy the next time I see them. Some have said he's even on clearance at some Targets. I've only seen him at Wal-Mart to this date.

I saw this Transformers Guide Book hardcover in Wal-Mart's book section.

Dude! It was awesome. I don't think I'd buy this, but I think I'll find it at Barnes and Nobel and sit down and read it.

1) It provides an episode guide for every Transformers tv show made, plus the movie. This will explain to me what Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Armada, Energon stuff, everything is - and what their storyline is.

2) It provides up-to-date full color pictorials of all Transformers toys made up to the latest stuff on the store shelves right now! It discusses the name changes and everything, licensing issues, etc.

3) It provides the character bios of all the heroes and villains and even covers the Quintisons, Unicron, etc.

4) Prime and Megatron are covered including all their toy and cartoon incarnations. I mean it probably even mentions Orion Pax!

Even if you don't buy books or can't read beyond Fun With Phonics, I'd recommend you stop by Wal-Mart's books or go to a Borders, B&N, or whatever and check this out just to look at the pictures!

There's even fictional cut-away guide pages (like Incredible Cross-Sections in SW books) that describe how the Transformers can transform in their fictional universe!

Dude. I'm planning to go back to the bookstore this weekend and do some reading and I'm hardly the hardcore fan you guys are. I just do a little bit of hero-worshipping on the part of an Optimus Prime fan.

kool-aid killer
05-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Even if you don't buy books or can't read beyond Fun With Phonics...

F you!!! :D

Is this the book that comes in a plastic bag? Ive seen something like it at the comic shop i frequent but as its in the bag i cant look over what i would be purchasing. Maybe i will hit up a Barnes and Noble sometime this week and look it over.

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, I saw those micromaster Defensor sets at a couple KBs the last few days. I had no idea they were SO small though, I was expecting them to be the size of a Minicon. Between the fact that they're itty bitty, they come with shellmaster kibble junk, and they are overpriced, I am almost certainly going to pass.

PF, you've got a good point, Hasbro could just as easily have done these as a $15 or $20 boxed set and they would have been MORE appealing than awful KB single-cards (sorry, but I don't respect the way they marketed these).

Tycho, keep checking your WMs, I've seen a LOT of 20th Op lately at WM, each store had 3 at least. Check the undershelves and the top shelves, the employees don't generally know where to put these things and end up hiding them. The Target version is risky because it usually is the gray rifle variant (which I don't prefer).

Dave van Domelan reviewed (http://www.eyrie.org/%7Edvandom/BW/Artifacts/guides.html) the TF Ultimate Guide, but doesn't sound like my cup of tea since the non-SW Ultimate Guides have kinda cheesed me off in the past (the 007 is good, but leaves out so much that it gets annoying after a while).

Tycho
05-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Is this the book that comes in a plastic bag? Ive seen something like it at the comic shop i frequent but as its in the bag i cant look over what i would be purchasing. Maybe i will hit up a Barnes and Noble sometime this week and look it over.

It wasn't in a plastic bag at Wal-Mart, but a loose, hardcover, pretty much as the DK StarWars Incredible Cross-Sections and Visual Dictionaries are displayed.

plasticfetish
05-30-2004, 01:27 AM
PF, you've got a good point, Hasbro could just as easily have done these as a $15 or $20 boxed set and they would have been MORE appealing than awful KB single-cards (sorry, but I don't respect the way they marketed these).
The worst thing is that if you go looking and someone has bought one of them, and left the other five, then you're gonna have a hard time completing the set. I just don't know what the point of selling them separately is. The original Japanese version (not the Sixturbo little Takara boxed things) came as a boxed set. It seems like the only decent way to do it.

Adam, are they Japanese "originals" that are going for that much, or those 2002 little boxed ones? Is there another release version that I don't know about?

Tycho, I saw that book on Amazon. It's going for around $17 there ($25 retail.) Looks like something my son would really dig. He reads at a second grade level right now, so I think it'd be fine. ;) BTW, it's "Hooked on Phonics" (http://www.hop.com), not "fun with phonics.

Adam
05-31-2004, 08:56 PM
They are in individual boxes(so the 2002 ones), but I don't think they were in the mystery boxes.. I can ask someone who actually has them and find out for sure if you want.

Adam
05-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey Tycho, what Ratchet were you refering to a couple of pages ago??

Adam
06-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Remy has three new galleries of goodness:

Cliffjumper: http://www.tfkenkon.com/collection/act227/

Shockwave. Er, Shockblast: http://www.tfkenkon.com/collection/act228/

Powerlinx Cliffjumper: http://www.tfkenkon.com/collection/act229/

When Cliffjumper is repainted, I hope they give him a G1 Beachcomber scheme.

JediTricks
06-01-2004, 03:59 PM
I bet Tycho is referring to the TFU Ratchet, a repaint of the RID X-Brawn figure.

Oh man, Cliffjumper's colors look even worse than ever! What living waste of space green-lighted this colorscheme?!? And this is the first time I've seen Shockblast's arms in any sort of real setting, Hasbro hid how long that left arm really was, it's ridiculously over-the-top, Hasbro should have included a real arm inside or an extra "normal" arm to swap it out. What's happened to this line? Last year it was starting to come together nicely, but this year it seems to be falling apart.

BTW, from the back, Cliffjumper as pants reminds me of Prowl as a shirt.

Adam
06-02-2004, 02:16 AM
Hmm, I dunno JT, they seem fine to me.

plasticfetish
06-02-2004, 04:01 AM
You know, I kind of like both of them. I'll wait until I get them in my hands to say for sure, but I think these two are OK. I'm not a fan of the vehicle modes for most of the Energon stuff, and these two -- Cliffjumper and Shockblast -- are much the same. The crazy "Mad Max" offroad vehicle thing and the space station (?) vehicle thing seem to be a stretch. I kind of dig the robot modes for both of them though. As far as Shockblast's big arm goes, I'm pretty sure that's what I like the most... it's very odd, maybe just the right amount of absurd machinery.

kool-aid killer
06-02-2004, 11:55 AM
I dont like Cliffjumpers color scheme, but it all depends on whether my brother likes him or not. But i do like Shockblasts look so i will most likely pick him up for myself to go along with my three other Energon figures. The big arm doesnt bother me at all, the only thing i dont like about it is the dark green coloring, but that probably wont harm him enough for me to pass.

kool-aid killer
06-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Nothing to do with Energon but since the title says "and beyond" i figured i could speak about other Transformers related product, such as Battle Beasts. Does anybody collect any? I just got four in from ebay and although they dont have much poseability i really like them. Im a sucker for warrior animal types, hence my immense love of the Beast Wars over other Transformer lines. I plan on getting a few more, but will probably stop around 15 of them.

JediTricks
06-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Battle Beasts? I have no idea of what you speak.

Oh, and it looks like Hasbro is doing "Transformers: Cybertron" next year.

plasticfetish
06-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Battle Beasts (http://www.toyarchive.com/BattleBeasts/BattleBeasts1.html) were the Hasbro version of the Takara "Beast Formers" toy line. Kind of a He-Man meets Kinnikuman (M.U.S.C.L.E.) kind of thing. In Japan they were part of the Headmaster TV series.

kool-aid killer, once you start collecting them, you're probably gonna be in it for the whole set. I think there's something like 76 in all. I have no idea how many there are from the Takara line -- probably more. Good luck. :)

JediTricks
06-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Wow, they are what I thought he meant. I was sure that couldn't be it since I didn't know there was any Transformers connection at all. I was way into MUSCLE so I didn't dig these as much (plus, they weren't anywhere near as affordable).

Adam
06-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Shockblast and Cliffjumper are now available a BBTS. Bulkhead was too, but he sold out in less than an hour. All three should be trickling into stores soon.

kool-aid killer
06-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Since i bought Soundwave at the antique store i briefly fought off the urge to get some cassettes for him, but i failed. I won Slugfest and Overkill about a week or so ago and they came in last night. Both have their stickers intact and weapons are in awesome condition. I like Slugfest a bit more, Overkills weapons are a pain to stick in the hole, whereas Slugfests fit in easily. They also came with their bios, transforming instructions, and power meter thingy. With my other lines want lists being cut down and therefore freeing up more money, im probably going to start picking up figures that ive always wanted (such as the Dinobots and other cassettes) since i cant imagine Hasbro and/or Takara releasing reissues in a quicker manner and with the figures i want.

Adam
06-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Forgot to mention that Remy put up a couple Energon Omega Supreme galleries. :D

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act230/

http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act231/

El Chuxter
06-11-2004, 02:12 PM
This thread is bouncing all over the place! :crazed:

JT, I would highly recommend the Ultimate Guide. It's not quite as complete as it could be, but is an excellent reference resource. It's written by Simon Furman, who's probably the greatest TF writer of all time, and creates a sort of "definitive" timeline that combines elements of the cartoon, Marvel comics, and Dreamwave comics, as well as explaining some of the connections with Beast Wars. There are all sorts of details that are completely new and very cool, like maps of Cybertron (and even a picture of Primus (Cybertron) in the robot mode we never knew he had!), pre-history of the Transformers, details on the beginning of the Civil War, etc.

And I'm not quite clear: how did Battle Beasts relate to Transformers? Was the duck Bumblebee? :D

Adam
06-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Jon Hartman dropped by on 2005 late last night and posted some new figures from Wal-Mart computers.

Energon Basic
-------------
80262 Command Ravage
80263 Treadshot Jet
80264 Sky Shadow Jet
80265 Sledge Gestal(t)
80266 Dust Storm Ge(stalt)
80267 Windrazor Jet
80268 Terradive Jet
80269 Storm Cld Cop(ter)
80273 Kickback G.Ta (Gestalt Tank)
80274 Bonecrushr Ges(talt)
80275 Wideload Cons(truction)
80276 Raptor G-Copt (Gestalt Copter)
80277 Scattor Shot

Energon Deluxe
---------------
80964 Storm Jet Gestalt
80965 Steamhammer Gestalt
80966 Barricade /Gestalt M (?)
80967 Skywarp Interceptor
80968 Road Block

Energon Mega
-------------
80261 Alpha-Quintess(on)
80600 Dreadwing (Mirage redeco)
80620 Beachcomber (Cliffjumper redeco)
80630 Superion Maxi(mus - Wingsaber)
80970 Six Shot (Shockblast redeco)
80971 Jetfire Redec(o)

Energon Ultra
-------------
80254 Bulkhead
80280 Landquake (Landmine redeco)
80281 Quickst(rike - Bulkhead redeco)

Energon Supreme
----------------
80279 Omega (Supreme - redeco)

Universe Deluxe
---------------
80969 Ramu(lus)

plasticfetish
06-12-2004, 02:40 AM
Was the duck Bumblebee? :D
Are you talking about "Run Amuck Duck?" My favorite is "War Weasel" though "Killer Carp" comes in as a close second. ;)

-----

That's quite a list there Adam. That's all stuff for next fall/2005 I'd suppose?

JediTricks
06-12-2004, 03:56 AM
After the "Diagnostic Data" debacle from the Star Trek:TNG line, I don't trust WM computers, so I'd be REALLY shocked if we got a Mega-sized Alpha-Q figure. And yes, I know I'm holding a grudge for a decade now. :p

Adam
06-12-2004, 02:26 PM
That's quite a list there Adam. That's all stuff for next fall/2005 I'd suppose?

Not sure, but I expect to see a lot of it at OTFCC next month. I'm most interested to see the nature of the "gestalt" basics.

kool-aid killer
06-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Fear not, this post actually has to do with an Energon product. I seen Arcee yesterday and without much debate i picked her up. I really like her vehicle mode, its the best looking one from Energon in my opinion. My biggest complaint with this figure is her arms and hands. I wish they werent so poor looking and that her gun would fit on the outside of her arm but can live with those flaws. That and its cool to finally have a "female" autobot.

plasticfetish
06-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Good score with the Arcee kool-aid killer. I've only seen the one that I found so far... too bad they didn't run with this one more.

JediTricks
06-22-2004, 05:41 PM
KAK, good find on the Arcee. I will agree on the arms in a limited fashion, but I have seen so much worse that I can't condemn 'em. Then again, everybody seems to like Insecticon's arms and they are totally doofy. :crazed:

What happened to this line? It's been MONTHS since anything new hit stores, I know I've asked this recently, but it's so damn glaring right now.

Adam
06-22-2004, 10:09 PM
What'chou talkin' bout? Omega Supreme, Cliffjumper, Shockblast, Energon Strongarm and Offshoot are all out.

Won't be long before the next deluxe wave hits.

Oh, and Alternator Hound is out. I bought him today. :D

We have pictures of the previously reported Optimus/Megatron 2 pack.. and they are both Superlink figures. Deluxe Prime and Ultra sized Megatron.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2485&item=5905352600&rd=1

plasticfetish
06-23-2004, 02:08 AM
What'chou talkin' bout? Omega Supreme, Cliffjumper, Shockblast, Energon Strongarm and Offshoot are all out.
Hmm, I haven't seen any of these yet... and I've been looking.

kool-aid killer
06-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Plasticfetish, forgot to mention it earlier, but thanks for the link to the Battle Beasts site. Very informative and i added a couple of wants to my list of them.

JT, i agree with your assessment of this line right now. Arcee was the only new figure ive seen in a month or so. Ive only got four Energon figures myself, but my brother has a decent number and even his interest in this line seems to have dwindled. He rarely checks the Transformers section first anymore, add to that that i dont think any new cartoons have aired so its kind of is on life support with us. Hopefully the new figures Adam mentioned show up soon.

Adam
06-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Energon is back on the air.. at like 6:30 am. :frus: But there is another marathon on July 3rd, whether or not they are new episodes is unknown.

JediTricks
06-24-2004, 06:18 PM
KAK, until you mentioned it, I had totally forgotten about the Energon cartoon. I can't even remember the last time I saw an episode, it's been at least 3 months. How lame is that?!?

Speaking of lame, I just read that Alt Hound is 1 per case in the case that has 2 Silverstreaks and 2... SideSwipes or Smokies, I think.

Adam, the only sightings I've heard about of those other ones are in Singapore and other Asian places that usually get this stuff way before us.

Oh, and packaged Slugslinger is on ebay right now, but I can't find the link. It looks pretty boss.

Adam
06-24-2004, 10:19 PM
They've all been found in the US JT. BBTS also has Omega Supreme in stock now.

The marathon on July 3rd will be completely new episodes.

Here's a nice gallery of the just released Wing Saber ("Superion Maximus" in America) : http://www.fantofan.jp/photo%20gallery/sl-wingsaber.htm

JediTricks
06-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Where have they been found in the US, besides e-tailers which don't count since they sometimes get this stuff from overseas anyway?

I thought Cartoon Network said that Saturday July 3rd was being retooled to add more comedy since the ratings were such a disaster.

I just read that Wing Saber has worse leg articulation than Armada Megatron and shoulders that don't rotate. There's very little chance I'll be buying that.

Packaged Slugslinger auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5905554283
The cardback shows Sharkticon, Tow Line, & Downshift - hopefully that means they'll be shipping together.

Hasbro confirmed that TRU will be getting smaller Energon Megs & deluxe-size Optimus 2pack this holiday season. Sounds good to me, TRU has been pretty good with Hasbro exclusives lately.

Adam
06-27-2004, 12:55 AM
I don't recall which states, but if you don't believe me I can look through 2005 and find out where.

Wing Saber makes Armada Overload seem articulated. :D He's deffinately meant to be combined. I think he looks cool just standing there, and I like his combo with Prime quite a lot.

Interesting note: Sharkticon, Tow-Line and Energon Strongarm(repaint) are all being released in Japan as USA editions.. which means they probably won't be in the show.

Oh. Heh. Lot's of new proto's here, including Grimlock and Swoop.. I won't comment too much though, I don't like to judge these things from bad pictures. :D

http://www.tfw2005.com/article2191.html

I don't however think these will be for "TF: Cybertron." It's just way to early me thinks.

Tycho
06-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks to El Chuxter, I finally have Optimus Prime 20th Anniversary Edition!

This is the greatest Transformer I have ever owned.

It is currently my only one, but I'd collected everything from Generation 1 complete up through the Terrorcons, Trypticon, and Skylynx back in the old days.

Prime 20 is the coolest thing I've ever transformed and could kick Metroplex's butt any day of the week - or any of the Triple-Changers for that matter!

I will now probably get him some Alternators for friends, though I'd long for a scale size F-15 that turns into the 20th Anniversary Starscream!

The money for that, and for Optimus Prime, would be / is worth it!

Thank you for your reviews guys, and thanks to El Chuxter.

This was a lot of fun joining you all. I think I'm transforming now!

- Tycho

JediTricks
06-27-2004, 09:33 PM
It's not that I disbelieve you Adam so much as I haven't heard of any sightings of those on any of the sites I visit except at etailers.

I'm not surprised Strongarm repaint isn't in the show.

I'm a little surprised that Grimlock looks like he'll be able to powerlink with the other deluxe Autobots, that's hard to picture in my head.

JediTricks
06-29-2004, 07:37 PM
I hit the local WMs, Targets, & TRUs yesterday and came up woefully dry (except for finding out the local WMs have way too many Megatrons), but I did notice something - the basic figures all had orange stickers that were advertising the Energon cartoon on Cartoon Network, and what amazed me most was that they were advertised at 6:30am!!! What corporate moron thought this was worth spending the extra money to make up the stickers (and pay employees to apply them) for such a terrible timeslot?!?

plasticfetish
06-29-2004, 11:51 PM
No. That's friggin' crazy with the stickers -- 6:30am sucks! Almost as bad as 11pm or whatever time they put the new Gundam Seed show on. Grrrrr. But, OH YEAH... Scoobie Doo is on all day long, don't wanna mess with that line up. :ermm:

Tycho
06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Well, I went to the store to buy Smokescreen and Sideswipe (they're at every Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU here) but I left empty-handed.

I was looking to see what figures are on scale to the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, but these alternators are not.

You know how I could tell? The tire size. Prime's tires should be larger (not smaller) than any cars.

So Prime is probably best to scale with Transformers Universe figures - Ratchet coming to mind as one possibility.

Who else? (That looks like a REAL vehicle, and that transforms into a good, articulate robot?)

Adam
06-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Hum, Ratchet is tiny compared to Prime though.. If you're looking for realistic cars, then you might as well check out the rest of the Car Brothers. One of which Ratchet came from.

Wal-Mart had Sideburn(Dodge Viper), and Prowl(Police Lam) exclusives and has been clearancing them.. they're not the best decos of those two molds though. Good alt modes and great articulation though.

Don't let the pics on this site turn you off, this guy doesn't seem to pose his figures very well..

http://www.tfu.info/2001/Autobot/Sideburn/sideburn.htm

http://www.tfu.info/2001/Autobot/X-Brawn/x-brawn.htm

http://www.tfu.info/2001/Autobot/Prowl/prowl.htm

I would still recommend getting Alternators to go along with Prime over those though. I just checked my 20th Prime and his tires are bigger than my Alternators..

http://tfkenkon.com/g/?mode=view&album=Collection/act216&pic=hound-bot25.jpg&dispsize=1000&start=0

Adam
06-30-2004, 04:38 AM
Forgot the reason I came to post. lol

Energon Inferno's repaint will also get remolded.. to a Grapple homage.

http://www.2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=49807&page=1&pp=15

I have to say that I like this one a lot, remolding is goodness.

Tycho
06-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Adam,

THanks so much for the pics!

The Alternators are so superior to the Universe line it isn't funny!

I think you sold me on those.

The Universe figures...

X-Brawn has the most appeal to me. He has the best face, robot, and is the most realistic looking vehicle.

Sideburn is next.

Prowl is a late third. Maybe it's the pictures, but he's far behind the other two in realism, a feasible, strong looking robot, and having a cool face, close in proximation to the cartoon character.

No, I think the Alternators might make the better collection.

Any pics of all of them with 20th Prime in vehicle mode?

(and dude, Prime was so WORTH IT! He is truly awesome and the best toy I've bought all year for 2004!)

Adam
06-30-2004, 02:45 PM
If Toyfare doesn't give the toy of the year to Prime, it will be a shame.

There are more galleries of Binaltech/Alternators here: http://www.tfkenkon.com/collection/bt-at.php

Remy takes some really great pictures.

JediTricks
06-30-2004, 10:34 PM
No. That's friggin' crazy with the stickers -- 6:30am sucks! Almost as bad as 11pm or whatever time they put the new Gundam Seed show on. Grrrrr. But, OH YEAH... Scoobie Doo is on all day long, don't wanna mess with that line up. :ermm:
Gundam Seed - 10:30pm Saturdays... geez, any worse and it'd be on against infomercials for the diaper caddy. Really weird too because G-Gundam eps were on EVERY DAY during Toonami's major timeslot (like 5pm IIRC).

Tycho, the Alternators cars are 1/24th scale and Prime is roughly 1/26th scale, so they're way closer than that TFU repaint of X-Brawn (whom I would estimate is about 1/32nd scale or thereabouts). I just checked, X-Brawn is half as wide in alt mode as Prime, HALF! They have to travel the same streets, ya know. And this discussion is about alt-modes, I can't tell you how much bigger Prime is to X-Brawn.

The only vehicles in TFU like X-Brawn are his Autobot brothers, SideBurn & Prowl, from the RID/Car Robots (TF2000) line. But I strongly disagree with your assessment on the Alternators in comparison to Prime and suggest you get one and decide from there rather than make a foolish snap-judgement that will keep you from getting these awesome figs.

Oh, and X-Brawn is my favorite, but in terms of bot modes, Prowl is superior to the kibbly mess that is SideBurn. They're all worth getting though.

Grapple looks pretty good, makes more sense than Inferno. The head situation still puzzles me, that hat thing seems biiiiiig, but still better. I've put it on my maybe list.

BWTF.com has up carded (front/back) images of Tow Line, Energon Hot Shot, Sharkticon, & Downshift (seriously, how is this figure NOT Wheeljack?!?). I like how Sharkticon is taking up so much of that bubble card, and his hyper power Alt mode looks really awesome. Tow Line's cardback is weird, they took out the tri-lingo text and added a big blue Powerlinking box which shows 2 figures that aren't Tow Line Powerlinking (and might I add that Prowl & Downshift make a HORRID combo) and then show Tow Line p-linking as well... YIKES! The shirt mode ain't too bad if a bit too small, but pants mode, wow. Energon Hot Shot's cardback has the same blue box but only 1 set of p-linking figs; the back also shows how bad the figure looks - it's shocking how cool the car looks and how bad the bot colors look - seems like E-HS is on fire or something. Finally, E-HS's cardback also shows Bulkhead's alt mode wearing the extra junk.

Adam
07-01-2004, 10:39 PM
He is Wheeljack.. in Superlink. I guess they didn't want to call him Wheeljack in Energon because of Decepticon Wheeljack in Armada... :crazed:

JediTricks
07-03-2004, 01:49 AM
LAAAAME! Hasbro never should have given that name to that character in Armada, he didn't even LOOK like Wheeljack, and now they've got this messed up situation. Silly Hasbro. At least he'll be Wheeljack to us collectors. ;)

Adam
07-03-2004, 12:18 PM
They thought Wheeljack sounded more like a villians name. (Carjacking)

I didn't really think you would care, you're not that big on G1 anyway.

kool-aid killer
07-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Carjack sounds cool. :evil:

Ive seen the "New episodes at 6:30" stickers on toys too and i couldnt help but chuckle. I certainly havent seen any new Energon shows on the tube. But i was flipping through the channels today and ran across Energon (at 3:30) and it looks like the show had progressed since i last seen because they had a few new characters on. My brother watched for a few minutes but it didnt seem to hold his interest because he flipped it over to watch Disneys Lelo and Stitch upon the commercial break and never went back. :crazed:

Adam
07-04-2004, 12:18 AM
That's too bad. You missed Shockwave, er Shockblast.

JediTricks
07-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Stupid marathon started with episode 16, apparently skipping over eps 13-15 which had some important stuff going on. Or maybe I missed some eps or something. Anyway, the eps were a big mess, lots of inconsistancies and even at one point a major animation goof where the scene pans to the left but Ironhide is cut off at the top and left side. :D

Tycho
07-07-2004, 04:17 AM
I got Sideswipe tonight (Alternator, as if you needed to ask).

Second to 20th Anniversary Prime, this is the coolest toy I've bought all year!

Transformers (when done right) just plain rock! The Alternators are leagues beyond what I was into when I collected Generation 1 way back in the day.

Sideswipe is a little bit too much plastic compared to how his shine makes him look like metal while he's still in the packaging.

I don't like how from the back, his robot mode still looks too much like a car.

1) They could have folded his hood more into his back as a robot.

2) His wheels could have been turned to be inside his inner legs while a robot as well. Instead, this way, with his (front) wheels turned to the outside, he looks like one of those Go-Bots you just pulled the legs down from. With all Sideswipe's great articulation, you might as well have adjusted that for his transformation.

3) He's not as great as Prime, but he's very awesome. The engine, the seats, sideview mirrors, the hood that raises, doors that open, adjustable steering column - wow!

But Sideswipe is nice amongst the Alternator cars in that his headlights etc. aren't in the front of him in robot mode. He transforms more differently than it looks like Smokescreen, Hound, and ??? do. I forgot who the last car is supposed to be.

Meanwhile, what do I want from the Alternators?

Realistically scaled Decepticons:

Starscream as an F-15 eagle jet. An F-18 could also work - as long as they basically realistically color him as a jet first, and then add red where they can to maintain as close to possible his cartoon show look.

They could do an F-111 or whatever the stealth fighter is. Might as well name it a new character, or they could make that a Skywarp alternator.

The Decepticons are limited because no Walkman player could be to scale with the Autobot Alternators and still turn into a reasonably sized robot. I wished they could do that, but who knows how even the fictional Decepticons are supposed to accomplish that.

Megatron may not be able to be done as an Alternator. Unless a super-realistic tank was done - which transformed into a robot as close to his "once-a-gun" robot from the cartoon as physically possible for a tank. The old gun could never be made the right size (like Prime's Megatron accessory) and transform into a robot the same size as Optimus.

Autobot Alternators don't really need to continue (as I'd like a small collection and not go overboard with another toy line :rolleyes: )

but these characters are important and should be made:

Bumblebee - sure why not? A realistic Volkswagon beetle.

Wheeljack - hmmm. A Lotus would be traditional. A DeLorean could be cool too. But modern car companies seem to be the theme for Alternators. How about a BMW? Or the new Mustang?

Jazz - a new Porshe of course.

Ironhide - either a Ford F-350 or a Chevy Truck, or a GMC SUV or Toyota Forerunner.

Prowl - how about a traditional Ford Escort Police Car or something realistic. Porshe's as police cars are very rare and Alternators are more modern cars.

We might want a Hummer - if not Ironhide, than how about Trailbreaker?

I still like the movie characters, so if they could use the names:

Kup - as a Chevy Truck or something.

HotRod as a Ferarri Testarosa

OK:

Ironhide - Hummer
Kup - Ford F-350
Hot Rod - Ferrari Testarosa
Wheeljack - 2004 Mustang
BumbleBee - 2004 Volkswagon Bug
Jazz - 2004 Porshe
Prowl - Ford Escort realistic patrol car
Arcee - Corvette
Springer - Apache Helicopter
Ultra Magnus - a GMC Truck Car Carrier of course
Blur - a Lexus sport coupe or Mercedes SL

Starscream - an F-15 Eagle
Skywarp - an F-111 (I think)
Megatron - an Abrams tank
Scourge - a military hovercraft (might be too big)

That's all I can think of for the Decepticons right now. They are difficult to find both sinister vehicles, that are real-world, realistic, and fit with their character. All the Decepticons would be $65 or more larger Transformers like Prime. That being said, Starcream and Megatron could still sell because of their characters - and Skywarp because he turns into such a cool vehicle. Scourge possibly too.

I oppose doing Stunticons since they are only going to be too comparable to the Autobots in already what will be a very small line.

What do you guys think?

El Chuxter
07-07-2004, 12:12 PM
I scored both Hound and Silverstreak at WM yesterday! Once I get them open, I'll post my thoughts here.

Y'all be on the lookout! :D

darthvyn
07-07-2004, 04:26 PM
holy crap! they're out??? i need at least hound... aww, man, no cash!

tycho, nice list, but i think hotrod would be awesome as the new ford GT-40.

aceattorney
07-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, new to these boards.

Anyway, I have Sideswipe and Smokescreen Alternators, and I'm looking forward to purchasing the rest of the series.

I've yet to purchase the 2oth Anniversary Optimus, and I've seen the price dropping slowly, so I imagine picking one up soon enough.

Recently, I've seen the new Energon version of MIRAGE and that new SHOCKBLAST on all the websites. I am honestly contemplating both of these figures just for their robot modes.

kool-aid killer
07-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the forums aceattorney. :) How long have you been collecting Transformers and what has been your favorite line so far? Which figure would you consider to be the centerpiece of your collection and why? The Alternators do seem to have been well recieved by the majority of Transformers fans, and even casual collectors. Im also looking forward to some of the upcoming entries. I thought about holding off on the 20th anniversary Prime also, but he seemed to be a quick mover around here so i threw one in layaway and took him out two weeks later. I suggest you pick him up soon, im sure there are other people waiting for his price to creep down too. Enjoy SSG!!!

aceattorney
07-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, kool-aid. I used to collect transformers when I was a kid (I'm 27 now), and I absolutely loved the original cartoon as well as the movie (I actually watched it in the theaters!).

I've seen Transformers toys through the years, but I was never really interested in any of them since most of them had wacky color schemes, had limited poseability, and they just looked cheap. I guess it was just my grown up side thinking.

I really enjoyed watching the Beast Wars cartoon as well as the Beast Machines series, but the toys never really did anything for me.

The Alternators and Prime Masterpiece are truly fine pieces of engineering...and just cool-looking toys.

Here's a quick photo I took of em:

http://photos.imageevent.com/aceattorney/misc/websize/trans1.jpg

Tycho
07-08-2004, 11:40 AM
I agree Ace - the Alternators were what got me back into Transformers.

It's a light collection (as of now) that doesn't take up a huge amount of space (esp. when you're a SW collector who needs more real estate to house your collection) - and they are ingenious pieces of engineering with the kind of detail you'd only dream of seeing in a Transformer when you were a kid.

I dont know how many times I'll say it though - but the line needs Decepticons - scale and just as realistically accurate.

aceattorney
07-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, the problem is that so far, the Alternators have been licensed vehicles. I would imagine that Jeep, Subaru, Chevrolet, etc. licensed their vehicles to Hasbro for marketing purposes.

I don't see any fighter jet manufacturers finding a need to license any of their jets, and I can't see anyone wanting their car/truck being marketed as an "Evil Decepticon," so the Alternator series may be limited to Autobots, unfortunately.

aceattorney
07-08-2004, 02:54 PM
LMAO...not bad

JediTricks
07-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Ace, welcome aboard. :) On Energon Mirage, I saw him a few months back, but bot mode has so much shell junk hanging off of it, and the torso is hollow, so I couldn't drop the $20. I am excited about Shockblast though, he's hitting now. As for holding back on 20th Prime, in my area it's not a good idea as they come and go very quickly, and the only ones that haven't been bought are beat up - I'm not usually a boxed collector, but this one's box is worth getting in good shape.

I think the biggest thing holding back Alternators Decepticons is simply size, a tank or a jet fighter would be massive compared to a car, bigger than 20th Prime who is twice as big as an Alternators figure and costs 3 times as much.

BTW, sorry Tycho but I had to pull your last post, you know the rule about political posts, at least you still have that post in the Rancor Pit though.

Tycho
07-09-2004, 06:04 PM
I think the biggest thing holding back Alternators Decepticons is simply size, a tank or a jet fighter would be massive compared to a car, bigger than 20th Prime who is twice as big as an Alternators figure and costs 3 times as much.

Hmm. True. But would you guys like slightly off-scale Decepticon alternators of a Tank (Megatron) and a jet or two?

They would be big like Prime, but for the Starscream and Megatron characters, that could still work (pulling in a high price-point). I'm not sure about Skywarp.

I take the size ratio to judge them being "what size would a human who drives these vehicles be?" In that case, Prime and the Alternators are in fine scale to one another.

Would an F-18 really have to be that great to at least "appear" it could be piloted and functional for a human who could be seated in Sideswipe's car mode?

I do envision a really slick version of an all-black F-111 Skywarp that'd really rock!

Tycho
07-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Actually, it was the F117 Nighthawk that I was thinking of that'd make the most awesome Skywarp (see picture)

Adam
07-09-2004, 07:22 PM
For Alternators - BLUEstreak is my fav. Hound is the worst of the four, but that doesn't mean he's bad. Far from it.

JediTricks
07-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Tycho, I'd accept a tank for Megs & a jet for Starscream in a different scale, but I think the pricepoint would have to be no more than $40 each and even that's pushing it, and they can't be too small but they don't need as detailed interiors.

Also, there's no way I'd accept Starscream as an F-14 Tomcat, that's what Jetfire is!!! I see no reason to change Starscream's G1 alt-mode anyway, the F-15 is still in service; or a MiG-29 could be used (although I have a feeling countries that actually fly MiGs, and that's a LOT of 'em, might not like the implication of changing Starscream's altmode to something we in the US feel is more sinister ;)).

Adam, I kinda saw it coming with Hound, but what specifically makes him weaker? What makes Silverstreak so much better than the others as well?

Adam
07-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Hound's main issue is the same issue with Energon Mirage. His chest is hollow. I still like him, but if I had to pick my least favorite, it would be Hound.

Bluestreak I prefer over Smokescreen purely for the headsculpt.

JediTricks
07-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that Hound's torso is hollow, it doesn't look that way in any of the photos I have. Well, no moreso than Smokescreen's. Or do you mean that you can see through it from the side more than Smokey's? That WOULD be a problem for me.

BTW, anybody know if the recent rumor of a proper blue Tracks figure coming out is true?

Tycho
07-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Tracks the Corvette was one of my favorite Autobots when I was a kid - for the toy. His character was sort of an illetist prick. But I used to have fun making him do sneaky side deals with the Decepticons in exchange for a wash, wax, and polish.

Adam
07-12-2004, 10:53 PM
There's a proto for blue tracks, so we may see them both.. a running change maybe? I'll get them both, and make yellow a new character.

Adam
07-13-2004, 01:20 AM
Clicky this: http://2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=50793 to see two of the main body figures of upcoming gestaults.. there's more in the 2005 news forum.

Tycho
07-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Would Tracks be an Alternator?

BTW: I just got Smokescreen. He's alright! I'm glad I bought him.

JediTricks
07-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Tracks, alternator, yes. I'll get yellow Tracks too, but I won't be glad about it. I'm not happy at all right now with this stupid dashboard swap on Silverstreak who is already a double-dip from Smokescreen - this double-dipping might hold up in Japan where they are ravenous for collectibles and will buy Smokey 7 and 8, but that's not me.

Steamhammer there reminds me of Armada Scavenger, though the head reminds me of one of the RID Build Team. Storm Jet (one of my least-favorite TF names) looks interesting too, but a little too bricky.

Tycho
07-13-2004, 08:16 PM
JT - do you mean to tell me that Silverstreak is a Subaru Impreza from the same transformers mold as Smokescreen that I just bought? (the Alternator)?

That sucks. Alternators are supposed to be totally unique stand-alone, one-of-a-kind cool Trans.

But Hasbro is going to make a Tracks alternator and then repaint it yellow and call it another character?

Who in their right mind thinks a yellow corvette looks good anyway?

(Tracks, in a break from cannon, ought to be a black Corvette anyway).

JediTricks
07-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Smokescreen is a WRC, the racing version of the WRX street car (although Smokey's interior is the WRX). Silverstreak is a retooled version of the Smokescreen mold to make him a WRX, there are changes to various body panels and the grill and the bot's head - it's not as if TF hasn't done this since day 1, Generation 1's first 2 years were packed with this sort of thing (except without the tool changes a lot of the time, so this is better than that). They're doing the same thing with SideSwipe's mold to make a new Decepticon, and that fig's alt mode even gets a hardtop. Personally, I too would have preferred all new figures each time rather than color & mold changes, but Hasbro & Takara want more mileage out of these rather expensive designs.

I don't know what the deal is with Yellow/Blue Tracks, I hoped they'd just release the blue version but most likely they will do something else. I can't imagine them releasing the blue version and NOT calling it Tracks though.

BTW, in Japan, Smokescreen shipped as the #7 Subaru Rally racer and the #8, with authentic changes to the driver names and flags. Hasbro says we may see that eventually, but not right away.

Tycho
07-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Hmmm. You're right about Gen1: Ratchet / Ironhide, and I think Prowl, Bluestreak (wasn't it Bluestreak, not Silverstreak back then?), Sideswipe (Lamborghini) and Red Alert (Lamborghini), etc.

I just thought Alternators would respect "adult collectors" more than that.

Sucker for these as I may be, while I may not be a completist one day (a yellow corvette? yuck) - I think I will buy Silverstreak because I checked my pictures of him from the site Adam directed me to and from The Transformers Archive (http://www.tfarchive.com/) with pictures from the old catalogs, and in the greater scheme of things I like Silverstreak the way they did him for Alternators.

No - I will not buy Decepticon cars! I'll skip being a completist there. Decepticons are JET PLANES so I'll be asking Hasbro for them at Comic Con.
I want my $65 Starscream at an approximate F-15 size range! Make him 20th Prime size. D's should be big and intimidating next to Bots.

BTW, this site is really cool - go to TOYS in the main menu and then find the catalog scans amonst the lists of toys with detailed images.

The old catalog scans are great. I used to use them as my checklists back in the day!

plasticfetish
07-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Decepticons are JET PLANES so I'll be asking Hasbro for them at Comic Con.Whoah!

I never thought about being able to ask Hasbro questions about Transfomers, or any other toy line other than Star Wars actually.

Hmmmm.

Adam
07-14-2004, 01:48 AM
The Decepticon car IS a Stunticon.. without the Menasor thing.

Tycho
07-14-2004, 02:13 AM
Stunticons are not Stunticons if there aren't 5 of them and they can't combine into Menacor!

Hasbro taught this to me 17 years ago. You mean they were right then and wrong now? We should move this to the Rancor Pit because I detect a flaw in our beliefs and faith in our religion.

Autobots, stay devout and roll-out!

Adam
07-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Wave 1 of Robotmasters was released in Japan today:

http://www.pbasehk.com/AMONtheBrave/NEWS

JediTricks
07-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Talking to Hasbro about anything is like trying to shake hands with a bowl of goldfish all at once. One rep says "ooh, here's what we're doing" and then 10 others go and do the exact opposite. Every time someone tells me about a discussion they have with Hasbro folks at cons, I think about the Micro Machines line or a few other little choice cuts where they say one thing and do another.

Anyway, yeah, it used to be Bluestreak, but Hasbro lost the rights to that name. They seem to have done that a lot, sloppy work or something, they lost "Hot Rod", how generic a word is that?!? Yet they lost it.

Anyway, from G1 year 2's catalog, here are repaints (or slight remolds): Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen, Sideswipe/Red Alert, Ironhide/Ratchet, Hoist/Trailbreaker, Inferno/Grapple, Laserbeak/Buzzsaw, Rumble/Frenzy, and Starscream/Dirge/Ramjet/Skywarp/Thundercracker/Thrust. There were only 72 entries total, and more than a quarter of them (22) were redecos.

I personally can accept Decepticons as more than just jet planes, but they generally are war machines or destruction machines, not just more cars.

As for RobotMasters, nice to see they got out even if I'm not crazy about that packaging, but the pic of Energon Downshift in Japanese packaging looks mega badarse! Hasbro should have carded the US version straight down instead of at an angle, though even then it's still not as cool as that box. That's the first Superlink figure I've instantly been tempted to get over the US, and all based on the packaging.

Adam
07-15-2004, 10:51 PM
The gestalts return:

Superion: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/pr061big.jpg

Brusticus: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/pr062big.jpg

Tycho
07-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Are those repaints?

It looks like they totally resculpted Slingshot, AirRaid, Silverbolt, etc.

Adam
07-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Those are new sculpts for Energon. Not brickish G1s. :p

Sadly, if you look at them, there are only 3 molds per combiner. Two of the limbs are repaints...

Also, this thread has the repaints for Ironhide and Jetfire. Jetfire is pretty good, Ironhide is.... weird. Houndish, but the mustard yellow and blue ruin it.

http://adctalk.com/index.php?showtopic=1968751

You can also see a very small pic of Starscream's repaint on BBTS main page. It look's to be pretty G1ish in color.

JediTricks
07-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Those gestalts look bad to the bone! Finally, a Bruticus that doesn't embarass the hell out of me. I don't mind the recycled vehicles too much, RID did similar stuff with 2 of the Build Team. The way Superion is put together is not quite as cool but still ok, and I dig how sleek the various elements look. The part that I think looks the best in these preview pics though, both bots, is the heads which look to have a lot of character.

Weird how Starscream repaint isn't up in their full-sized pics yet. The colors look good, but somehow not on that mold. Maybe it'll look different full-sized though.

I can't get that ADC thread to load, but if the pics are the same as the ones on BBTS, then I think the repaint of Jetfire is just as ugly as the original, except in a different way. But I am still digging this new look for Ironhead... er, "-hide". ;) Digging it compared to the old version, for sure, I'll be getting this to link with Cliffjumper. There seems to be a difference between the BBTS images and the older image of Ironhide repaint I have though, the older one features olive drab paint on the fenders while this new pic has white - hopefully we get the olive drab version in the states.

Finally, seen the new BT-09 pics on BBTS? They're not of the toy at all, but they claim the toy will look similar. That Mini-Cooper's transformation scheme looks pretty slick, so I hope they're right.

Adam
07-16-2004, 10:14 PM
The pics in the adc thread are the same from BBTS, just less of a pain to list out each link. :p

It's been rumored that there would be an Alternator Mini-cooper, because of advertisements featuring it transform..

JediTricks
07-20-2004, 12:34 AM
I haven't seen that ad yet, sounds entertaining.

Spotted Energon Strongarm & Offshoot at Kmart & Target today, the prototype pic of E.Strongarm has dirt painted on the body, but the actual toy doesn't. Otherwise, neither of these do much for me, but at least Arcee is shipping in this case (I saw a few of her & Insecticon on shelves next to the repaints).

DANG I am desparate for new Transformers, stupid Hasbro dry-spell!

plasticfetish
07-20-2004, 12:52 AM
... but at least Arcee is shipping in this case
Ahhh, that explains why we found one at Target tonight. (Got "her" for the kid.)

JediTricks
07-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Good find. If your kid doesn't dig the energon weapons though, tell 'em I sympathize. ;) She's a cool fig IMO except for that barrel sticking out of her abdomen for the spark crystal. I hope Hasbro repaints this mold in cool superbike colors like red & black or something.

Adam
07-20-2004, 01:11 AM
I meant to say that the ad features a minicooper in robotmode. Not a transforming gif like the Jazz one.

The head on the minicooper has horns, so many people are saying it will be Bumblebee. (Or whatever they'll call him. :rolleyes: )

I found those two basics today as well. Offshoot is.. kinda weird. Not ugly but weird. I may pick it up on sale. EE Strongarm was better than I thought he'd be so I picked him up. I shall call him Gears.

Downshift and Towline have been spotted at Kohl's. The Kohl's I went to only had basics.

And why wouldn't Arcee still be shipping? It wasn't a chase figure, just shortpacked for the first wave.

plasticfetish
07-20-2004, 04:14 AM
And why wouldn't Arcee still be shipping? It wasn't a chase figure, just shortpacked for the first wave.I've only ever seen this one twice now. Might as well have been a chase figure.

kool-aid killer
07-21-2004, 02:16 PM
While browsing a Transformers fan site i read that Energon will be releasing Grimlock and Swoop figures. I let out the Anakin "Yipppeee" scream a couple of times. This will most likely be the first Energon figures that arent of the basic size that i buy for myself. Not trying to be a prude (cause i know ive taken this thread off topic on more than one occasion myself) but we do have an Alternators thread floating around somewhere. I can bring it up if you guys want (no longer on dial up so now i think im the ..it :cool: ) so we can talk about the possible Mini cooper there. :)

JediTricks
07-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Bah! Alternators thread is for the weak. ;) Seriously though, they're all TF to me, so I like this thread. If others start using that one, I'll probably post there too though. :D

As for Grimmy & Swoopy, I've seen pics now, they look um... a little weird. To me anyway, but the plasticky design of Energon doesn't really suit them I think. Anyway, here's the page I saw 'em on: http://community.webshots.com/album/162598717rbcVCR

Anybody here decided whether they're gonna drop full coin on Omega Supreme? The figure is being spotted now in the US and the decision is coming up for most of us, I suspect. I didn't buy Unicron until he was $22, but he turned out to be good enough for me to buy at $40 (not $50 though :greedy: ), and I think OS may be the same situation. I had the original OS, I didn't really care for him all that much, so my opinion of this figure is nostalgia-free.

Adam
07-21-2004, 11:20 PM
He's mine when I see him.

First pics from SDCC of TF's: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=3224&dispsize=1200&start=0

JediTricks
07-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Oh, that is SO wrong! Painting Build Team up to look like Devastator, whose sick idea of a joke is that?!?

...:D Holy crap is that sucker gonna sell! Makes buying the recent WM repaint look pointless, now doesn't it? I just hope it'll have a Decepticon logo on the chest, this SHALL NOT be an Autobot, not if I have anything to say about it. (which I don't)

BTW, nice to see more of blue Tracks.

Tycho
07-22-2004, 05:18 AM
Alternator Fans:

I saw Tracks, Meister, Hound, Dead End, Silverstreak, etc. all in person.

They all rock! Tracks and Meister (especially Meister) are incredible!

The quality is there.

I spoke with the head designer that works on these. He said Alternators are the easiest to do: the cars come ready-made. They just have to figure out how to get them to transform.

Decepticons: non-combining Stunticons and Combaticons are fair game.

Licensing for "Evil Decepticons" might be more difficult because of the Alternators being based on real company products. JediTricks was right.

However, for Decepticons, companies that are having public relations troubles might ante up for the royalties. A "Starscream that transforms into Martha Stewart is being considered."

They laughed but liked my idea of oil rigging platforms, the Exxon Valdez, a rainforest slasher, etc. and the idea of teaching kids values with the products and the autobots saving the Earth's environment. They doubt they could get licensing if they were up front with companies and told "Caterpillar" or "Exxon" that they were making Evil Decepticons out of their products though. It's not being ruled out though.

They'd like to do an "annivesary" scale alternator for Starscream. They would pursue McDonnel-Douglas F-15 licensing rights for it though.

Megatron as a gun CAN be done, but there is a huge amount of legal work that must be filed and won before it would happen. Hasbro doesn't see it as worth the money. The gun would not be scale to Autobots and then transform to a similar scale for the robot mode. That's impossible.

Andy, fomerly the head of the SW Team, is behind Transformers today.

plasticfetish
07-22-2004, 05:52 AM
Andy, fomerly the head of the SW Team, is behind Transformers today.Isn't that a weird coincidence? I collect TFs obsessively for years and then suddenly stop because they don't hold my interest anymore. At the same time, Star Wars toys get much better, re-grabbing my attention and enthusiasm.

Hmmm... how odd.

El Chuxter
07-22-2004, 12:06 PM
They could possibly do a 20th Op-quality Megatron based on the Cybertronian design from the War Within mini-series. In this, he looks quite a bit more beefy, and turns into a high-tech tank.

I could even live with a high-quality Generation 2 tank Megatron.

Adam
07-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Who's Andy? Aarron Archer heads up Transformers at Hasbro.

Adam
07-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Devestator is a 'con there JT.

I really want the Prowl/Checkpoint 2-pack.. there's no Kmarts here anymore though.

And Beachcomber is AWESOME!

Adam
07-23-2004, 02:08 AM
TNI/TFORMERS Day 1: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=3241&dispsize=600&start=0

Figures.com day 1: http://69.93.119.2/photo/1/showgallery.php?cat=1408&page=1

OH MY GOD. The Prime/Overload set is SCARY. And why the heck is it in Energon, that paint scheme screams UNIVERSE. Ugh.

JediTricks
07-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Who's Andy? Aarron Archer heads up Transformers at Hasbro.
Andy Esplanshade (sp?), brand manager of Star Wars, then Micro Machines, now working over onTransformers. I've heard 3 different points of independent confirmation on this one, so I am pretty sure that's true.

Yeah, now that I've seen clearer pics of Devastator Landfill, I can see the Decepticon logos.

Spotted Crystal Widow vs Oilslick set last night at Kmart, seems like a nice enough TFU set but I don't need yet another Blackarachnia figure, and Nightbeat (the minicon) isn't repainted at all.

plasticfetish
07-24-2004, 01:48 AM
Talked to Aaron Archer (If I'm remembering correctly) at Comic-con today. He gave me the word on the Transformers live action feature -- and the word is that it's a GO! It'll be done by Paramount and Dreamworks SKG -- and Steven Spielberg will Executive Produce it. (He did NOT say that Spielberg was directing it.)

Cool? Yep!

He said that the toy line would basically shift it's entire focus toward the film when the time came. They seemed very, very excited by the whole thing.

Me too!

(More stuff in a bit. I took some toy pics and asked him a bunch of other things also. BTW Omega Supreme look friggin' great in person. :) )

kool-aid killer
07-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Alternator Fans:

I saw Tracks, Meister, Hound, Dead End, Silverstreak, etc. all in person.

They all rock! Tracks and Meister (especially Meister) are incredible!

Cool, ive seen picks and they look to be awesome. Add to that a picture of a Grimlock Alternator has shown up and my interest in this line is sky high. Plus Predaking ( :crazed: ) is said to be Takara reissue #17 with multiple online sites having him up for preorder. Im not going to take the jump yet, still sounds too good to be true but if it is im on cloud nine. Looking thru the photos i see a recolored Cruellock. I like how he looks so me thinks he will join my Energon figures once i see him.

aceattorney
07-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Grimlock Alternator? You're kidding, right?

plasticfetish
07-26-2004, 03:39 AM
OK, here's just a few pics that I took at Comic-Con...

Tycho
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Grimlock Alternator: Hasbro is abusing the names of characters the cartoon show established for us (and them to market their darn products in the first place).

Grimlock is a Mustang. OK, a muscle car. Whatever that means exactly. But isn't a Corvette a muscle car? So how can Tracks and Grimlock be in the same category? They're such different characters.

I told JediTricks my idea for a Grimlock that's a Mustang Alternator: have the car turn into a dinosaur!

Grimlock prefers his dino mode anyway. That would be a sweet new way to do it!

aceattorney
07-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Grimlock Alternator: Hasbro is abusing the names of characters the cartoon show established for us (and them to market their darn products in the first place).

Grimlock is a Mustang. OK, a muscle car. Whatever that means exactly. But isn't a Corvette a muscle car? So how can Tracks and Grimlock be in the same category? They're such different characters.

I told JediTricks my idea for a Grimlock that's a Mustang Alternator: have the car turn into a dinosaur!

Grimlock prefers his dino mode anyway. That would be a sweet new way to do it!
Tycho, that's a fantastic idea...I can't see how it could be done though, considering how large the T-Rex head and tail are.

Tycho
07-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Then make Grimlock a Hummer that turns into a dinosaur and make Wheeljack a Mustang or something.

Actually, I'd save a Hummer to be a Decepticon, hehe.

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Like I replied to Tycho in PM, Hasbro's tried the Transformers that don't have bot modes before and they're generally quite unpopular. That's one I certainly wouldn't buy.

The Corvette is not exactly a muscle car, it's a sports car. I think the difference is that a sports car is sleek and fine-tuned and aerodynamic, while a muscle car uses brute force to get up to speed instead. The Dodge Viper is a car that straddles the line between the 2 I think.

I don't think we can save any mold for just Decepticons in this line, the companies don't like the idea of their product licensed to be the bad guy, and using the mold only once is considered a waste of money.

Nice to see the BW Neo Big Convoy that'll be coming out in the TFU line soon, that's a piece I've been wanting for a while and I'm really not minding this color scheme over the classic Optimus scheme the original had (I'm just a little sick of the red, gray, blue thing these days). I can't wait to have Big Scourge or whatever they're calling him trample my Energon figs. :D

JediTricks
07-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Spotted Omega Supreme & the 2 Role Play weapons yesterday at WM. OS was $48.78 and I was tempted, but had a bunch of toys already that I was getting and had to pass. If I ever see him on sale for $40 or $35 (or less) I'll pick him up on the spot.

The Autobot role play weapon looks like your standard Nerf gun, nothing special about it from what I could see. Megatron's sword looks pretty neat though, it has a collapsable blade similar to the SW lightsabers, and flip-out blades at the hilt, I am waiting to hear a review from someone else first though.

plasticfetish
07-31-2004, 02:23 AM
I saw those two weapons at W*M today also, and yeah the sword's cool -- but that "Energon Blaster" is gonna freak my son out. He's gonna go nuts.

I'm trying hide it from him until his B-day in October though. (If he gets hold of one before then, I'll let you know how it is.)

Adam
07-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Noooo... I want new TF's so bad.. and you find OS... I did see the weapons.. the sword is tempting..

OFTCC PICS!!

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=otfcc%2FFriday+Night
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=otfcc%2FExclusive+Toys
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=otfcc%2FNew+Toys
http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=otfcc%2FHasbro+Panel&start=25

Wal-Mart exclusive g1 piranacon repaint?!

Dreamwave: http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=otfcc%2FDreamwave%20Panel&start=0

Adam
07-31-2004, 06:07 PM
BWTF gallery : http://www.bwtf.com/gallery/otfcc2k4hasbro

kool-aid killer
07-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the links Adam. Im really liking Energon Grimlock and Swoop as individual figures. I like Swoops color scheme, something a little different looking than his G1 figure. I think Grimlock looks awesome. Combined they look like crap to me. Im not impressed by the head on it so these guys will be staying apart. Piranacon sounds interesting, but i dont like the orange on his various parts so i may hold off on him and wait for a clearance price. Meanwhile nothing new in my stores, though TRU did lower the price on their reissues.

gsr-jedi
08-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Is Silverstreak out yet?

darthvyn
08-01-2004, 01:45 PM
so, wait... tracks IS going to be blue???!!!

i like the idea of the grimlock mustang. JAZZ (none of this 'meister' jive!) looks pretty cool. hopefully they do some decals or something... maybe like the hydrogen powered version of the rx-8 like here

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic.mv?imagenum=1&num=1792

plasticfetish
08-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Don't know if anyone's spotted this, but I finally scored myself a Unicron (the kid got one ages ago) last night at Target because they had them marked own to $14. Nice! So, if you're looking to grab one or to grab another, better hurry.

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Alternators Silverstreak is definitely out in the US, shipping with Hound I believe.

PF, what is it about the Energon Blaster he's gonna dig? You're not the only collector I know who has had nice things to say about it.

Sorry Adam, can't be helped sometimes. I too really want new TF, so seeing OS was more of a downer than anything because I couldn't get him. Check the top shelves of your WMs, that's where I saw 'em at the 2nd store I visited.

I went through the BWTF gallery earlier, I really REALLY like the repainted Mirage (now 'Dreadwing'), very military-looking and unified. I don't care for the new packaging look, nor most of the repaints. Energon Devastator looks kinda weak compared to the other 2 Energon Gestalts. Galvatron is awful. The Starscream repaint looks slick, like the current version is the "shadow" and the repaint is the "whole" one. I hate to say it, but this Kicker & Highwire set looks kinda cool to me even though it's not the Microman fig. Alpha Q really surprised me, I can't wait to see more of that just on sheer curiosity. Grimlock & Swoop look way crappy to me, and their combined mode is 10 times worse. Anything I forgot to mention (possibly because I didn't see it)?

plasticfetish
08-01-2004, 11:39 PM
PF, what is it about the Energon Blaster he's gonna dig? You're not the only collector I know who has had nice things to say about it.It's a big gun with an autobot symbol on it that shoots darts.

I think the sword is much cooler looking -- but frankly, we've got tons of swords and sabers already, so he'll dig the blaster. (Not that we don't have a few too many blasters either I suppose.) I think the thing is really kind of lame looking, but I know what the kid likes. He's asked about TF weapons in the past also, if they'd ever made any of the guns.

kool-aid killer
08-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Don't know if anyone's spotted this, but I finally scored myself a Unicron (the kid got one ages ago) last night at Target because they had them marked own to $14. Nice! So, if you're looking to grab one or to grab another, better hurry.

Ive heard about Unicron going down in price but was wondering which version of him it is. Did you get the orange colored one that first came out or the recolored black and green Unicron? Im tempted but would prefer the first one that came out.

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 04:32 PM
It was the first version. I just hit a different Target today and saw 3 of the on their shelves for $14, so they're still out there.

Good luck.

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 08:58 PM
It's a big gun with an autobot symbol on it that shoots darts.

I think the sword is much cooler looking -- but frankly, we've got tons of swords and sabers already, so he'll dig the blaster. (Not that we don't have a few too many blasters either I suppose.) I think the thing is really kind of lame looking, but I know what the kid likes. He's asked about TF weapons in the past also, if they'd ever made any of the guns.
Thanks for clarifying, I guess Hasbro really could do no wrong with that criteria. :D At least it's a motivation I can understand.

The only Unicrons on sale (for $20 around here) at my Targets have been the Armada boxes, which is really freaky because I got mine 6 months ago from Target at the same price, so they must have a LOT of these still in their warehouses.

Adam
08-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Hahah success! My buddy at Target pulled an Omega Supreme for me out of the back before the August first set. He's cool, but I didn't get the same feeling I got out of opeing Unicron.. The search for Cliffjumper and Shockblast continues!

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Oh hey, yeah. Saw Omega Supreme at Target tonight (they had 2 of them out) and it looks really cool. $50 though -- that's steep!

How's it out of the box Adam? Good stuff?

Adam
08-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Oh, and all the info from the Hasbro Panel can be found here:

http://boards.allspark.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=50058

Apparently, Hasbro underestimated how popular minicons were, and they will be returning in TF: Cybertron. (I still don't like that title..) I can't decide if I like that or not.

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Nice find on OS, details expected. ;)

I'm glad to have the minicons back, I got to really like them, by the end they were a driving force for me collecting Armada figures, I definitely bought a few partially based on the minicon they came with and how it interacted.

Thanks for the link on the Hasbro panel details. Glad to hear we're getting another studio to produce the next show, I really don't care for the Energon cartoon.

"- Primus will factor into Cybertron."
I've been wondering what happened to Primus in Energon, started out with a good introduction but went nowhere with it.

"- The Alpha Quintesson toy may not transform but can roll (and the legs spin around), and the faces inside do turn around inside the head."
I'm really surprised on this one, first TF toy in at least 10 years that doesn't transform in any way.

"- For Energon they wanted a lot of characters in the initial waves but someone was delayed in production (Scorponok, probably). They made Energon Ultra Magnus as a fillin, underestimated his demand and also for unknown reasons he was just underproduced. I yelled out "MAKE MORE!!!!!" and Michelle said "I reserve the right to put this figure into TFU" and said they didn't have plans to do it but it would be a possibility."
Grrrrr!!! Damnit Hasbro, get this figure back on shelves while there's still demand!!!

"- Someone asked why the Decepticons don't have a cool action feature like the Autobots' combining feature. Aaron said they think the "hyper power" feature is exciting."
I gotta admit, that question is how I feel about Decepticons, I think Aaron is wrong and Hyper Power is not cutting it. Look at Snowcat, he skiis and has those floppy missile launchers, but no accessory; no accessory for Demolishor 2 either; and while Starscream's hyper power missile launchers are ok, they're not as cool as the spinning wings of death on Armada Thrust.

"- Arcee is small for financial reasons and because they didn't think she'd appeal to the main market. Michelle said 7 year old boys don't want a $15 woman."
Weird, I thought she was small because a giant basic motorcycle would look tremendously dopey. Or do they mean they didn't make Arcee a $10 deluxe? If so, um... they're probably right, at $7 she's a lot easier for the little boys to accept.

"- Sounds like Takara maybe wasn't as involved in designing Grimlock and Swoop and they didn't see a place for these toys in Superlink."
After looking at them, I'm not even a little surprised. ;)

"- The face on Insecticon is just some sort of "lucky accident"."
That Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle face is pretty funny, but I don't entirely believe it was an accident.

"- No Dinobot reissues planned.
- No plans for Soundwave"
Unwise!

"- Tracks was initially going to be yellow with a blue repaint later, but the interior was showing through the plastic. Since Takara paints over metal they could keep the yellow, but we are getting blue instead."
Awesome! Kinda wish they had simply caved to demand, but caving to necessity is almost as good considering the results.

"- They have not tried to get the license for a Lamborghini Alternator."
WEIRD! Transformers has ALWAYS had a lot of Lambos in the lines, why leave 'em out here?

"- Emergency vehicles in Alternators? "None that I'm willing to talk about"."
That's an odd response.

"No, we won't see them on boxes for the same reason as always, they'd have to be trilingual."
Lame!

"- We probably won't ever see more chrome paint schemes because it's shown itself to be too fragile over time."
Sweet!

Adam
08-04-2004, 01:31 AM
I also like that little bit about fan's choice transformers figures. :D

kool-aid killer
08-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Visited two Targets and called one up and none of them had any Unicrons. :(
Maybe one day TRU will knock theirs down in price, hopefully by then i will still be alive because they tend to keep things for a long time before dropping the prices.

Regarding the Hasbro rep who said Soundwave and the Dinobots wont be released as reisssues, that blows. I think Hasbro needs to seriously retool the way they go about doing the reissues. Put out some really interesting or unexpected Transformers that Takara has yet to release. Maybe some Decepticon cassettes? I would think that many people who bought Takaras Soundwave would jump at some cassettes, even if they were from Hasbro, i would. The Dinobots have a large following so i would think that they would be in consideration for the reissue treatment, but its just another Hasbro misstep in their running of this line. Another thing that i think Hasbro needs to do is improve on the packaging they come in. Its very dull and doesnt really stand out among the other toys.

Im glad to hear that Tracks will be blue, he looks better that way as opposed to being yellow. Now its just a waiting game. :zzz:

pegger
08-04-2004, 09:25 PM
"- No Dinobot reissues planned.
- No plans for Soundwave"
Unwise!

Gotta agree here....very poor decision. Dinobots are screaming to be re-issued more than any other set.

JediTricks
08-05-2004, 07:30 PM
I spotted more cheap Unicrons yesterday, at only $13.99, but I couldn't really afford to buy another even at that price. Targets also had Omega Supreme finally, but nothing else new sadly.

El Chuxter
08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
ME, GRIMLOCK!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3129558

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/07/69/30/81/0007693081306_AV_500X500.jpg

Not what I expected (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4925), but cool nonetheless.

Tycho
08-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Dude, Grimlock's cool! I like Mustangs, too.

I'll buy him.

The robot's head looks dead-on like Grimlock, too. Nice job Hasbro did there.

Still if the car became a dinosaur just this once...

Oh well. I see what people mean about the legs - they stayed true to Grimlock's transformation style with his conversion steps.

Nice job actually. I even like the color.

El Chuxter
08-06-2004, 02:58 PM
they stayed true to Grimlock's transformation style with his conversion steps.

Except that the hood should be upside down on his back. ;)

Here's a thought:

Early reports on the movie (in the works from Dreamworks, no less, in case you haven't heard) say there will be no dinosaurs, insects, beasts, etc.

However, everyone loves Grimlock.

And now we see a Grimlock turning into a Mustang.

I wonder if these might be related. . . . :beard:

Tycho
08-06-2004, 05:00 PM
No dinosaurs, insects, beasts etc. - gets them out of a heck of a lot of issues...

Transformers were given their earth-appearances to disguise themselves, right?

There are some serious issues with how something mechanical can turn into something REALISTIC that's organic.

Grimlock might be the easiest: he's a big robot that turns into a big dinosaur. To be realistic, with cyborg flesh (like The Terminator) able to quickly heal over tears from his Transformation, he could possibly be done CGI to turn into a Jurassic Park replica and then back to a mechanical robot.

Just doing that though is a huge distraction from the storyline of the movie.

Kickback is incredibly more complicated. An 10-12 foot tall robot turns into a standard size grasshopper you could hit with your windshield???

OK, perhaps they have the ability to use "Star Trek Transporter Technology" to change their size when they transform: Soundwave always did unless you don't belive your walkman could ever turn into a 20 foot tall robot.

But when people accused Star Wars of being too much effects and not enough story? Transformers could top that just explaining how you get an alien shark (Sharkticon) any use in the water (a very specialized environment unless they are mining energon under water) and how it fuses its flesh to look real instead of like a robot, and stay true to its form (which is of an alien shark with legs, closer to an Opee Sea Killer from SW than a shark from earth).

Or you go for the Grimlock that turns into a metallicized dinosaur. In which case, what is the practical point of his transformation? If he were to be for demolistion, wouldn't a construction vehicle suffice, and provide a better disguise than what people are bound to call a fake-looking metal dinosaur?

There are a few problems with the "main charcters"

Autobots:

Prime - no problem
Jazz - call him Jazz not Meister and no problem
Bumblebee- fine
Wheeljack - fine
Ratchet - fine
Ironhide -fine
Mirage -fine (an Indy race car isn't so well hidden though)
Hound -fine
Hot Rod - call him Hot Rod, but what kind of "real world car should he be?"
Kup - ditto
Blurr - ditoo
Springer - fine (would be so cool in the movie to see a triple-changer!)
RC- would be great to finally see be made
Ultra Magnus - fine
Blaster - size problem. A boombox fits in Prime's front seat and then stands as tall as him?

Decepticons:

Megatron - huge problem - a P.38 you can hold in your hand becomes a 20 foot tall robot? Megatron is more likely to be a tank, but it's not traditional

Starscream - fine
Skywarp-fine
Thundercracker - fine

Soundwave - huge problem - a walkman becomes a 20 foot tall robot? A casette tape a full-grown panther? Besides, in the case of Ravage, this is 2004, shouldn't he turn into an MP3? ;)

The Combaticons would have to be re-thought:

a space shuttle the same size as a Jeep Wrangler?

Bringing the Transformers to "real life" could be a total redesign or a huge mistake.

JediTricks
08-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I think this new shot of Alt Grimmy looks even less bulky than before, especially those thin thighs. He doesn't look that beefy at all. Also, what the hell was Takara thinking leaving the entire floorpan as kibble on the back hanging off his behind?!? Could have swung up or come off and been a shield, but NOOOOO! This isn't Grimlock, this is someone else and that's how I'll accept him (plus, Grimlock would never have bucket seats for feet! ;)).

I am pretty sure the movie is nowhere near far enough along in preproduction to have influenced this Alternator's design (or vice-versa).

As for the scale of the beasts and whatnot, I think having big insects would make the Decepticons even cooler - the humans now have to be saved not only from jets and tanks attacking them but big robotic insects smashing their cars! They wouldn't be part of the earliest waves though because how would they be "robots in disguise"? Same with the dinosaurs.

Adam
08-08-2004, 12:28 AM
I never thought they would have the those in the movie.. my thinking was that they would save them for the sequels..

I'm excited by the prospect of possibly seeing War Within type toys though, there is a chance they will show Cybertronian forms.

kool-aid killer
08-08-2004, 02:33 PM
War Within toys would be awesome.

Ive read that there wont be any drastic size changes from robot to their disguise so i wonder whether Soundwave will appear at all and in what form. I think its somewhat foolish that they wont include it but can see why they wouldnt want to have people unfamiliar with the story and technology scratching their head and wondering what the H E double hockey sticks was going on. This causes me to wonder who all will be appearing on both sides in order to make the size scale work out.

Tycho
08-08-2004, 04:13 PM
size change problems:

Decepticons:

Megatron - traditional

Soundwave - traditional (Walkman to 20 foot tall robot?)

Ravage, Laserbeak, etc. - cassette tapes (the audience won't even know what these are anyway -everyone uses CD's and MP3s ;) )

Shockwave - traditional

Flashback - camera to 3 robots the size of a Volkswagon transformed?

Insecticons

Autobots:

Dinobots

Blaster, his cassette tapes - for reasons listed above by Soundwave
Huffer, from Semi-Truck about the size of Prime to robot only as big as Bumblebee?
Seaspray - hovercraft to robot smaller than Prime?

Most or all of the combiners. The Constructicons could be done really cool though. Superior would be huge though!

But Brutacus just would not work! Jeep Wrangler the size of the space shuttle or vice-versa???

Anyway, I think I just repeated what I posted before but wrote it up in a new way...

Can't wait to find out what the move will do...

JediTricks
08-08-2004, 06:18 PM
I found Energon Cliffjumper last night at Kmart, first new Energon figure I've seen in months not counting repaints. So I snatched it up even though Kmart charges $3.50 extra. But it turns out I really dislike this figure, one of the worst Transformer buys I've made since buying Armada Scavenger on clearance for $10. The transformation scheme is far too simplistic, parts don't really know where they're going in bot mode, the boots stick out a country mile, the stupid missiles don't stay in straight in the guns, the colors are awful, the rear wheels in alt-mode don't really know what to do and bow outwards, the rear quarter in alt-mode doesn't hold on very well, the sound effect is lame and annoying, there's too much kibble in bot mode, and the elbows pop out far too easily; plus, the instructions are incorrect about how the leg joints work starting in alt-mode - the starting image and alt-mode image are both wrong. In fact, the only things I found even remotely clever were the way the shirt mode was created and the way the legs got longer for pants mode.

And not only did I dislike the figure immensely anyway, but mine is defective, the right heelspur won't lock down and lets him tip over.

JediTricks
08-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Found Silverstreak & Hound at Wal-mart Duarte, CA, Silverstreak at Target Pasadena 1-story, and Dead End at Target Eagle Rock.

I just now opened Hound, he's cool but the chest is indeed very hollow, the backpack is a mess that makes no sense, the arms are poorly articulated, and the hips keep slipping when I pick him up.

Will post on Dead End in a while, I'm a bit too busy right now. But strangely, the packaging co-sells "Autobot Tracks" (yellow picture) and has a big Decepticon logo next to the name.

Tycho
08-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Good finds, JT.

They aren't shipping those Alternators out to our stores here in San Diego it would seem.

Who would a Yellow Tracks be in Stunticon 'revision?'

I'm trying to remember the Stuntacon names...

DeadEnd - used to be a rust colored Porshe
???? - was a Lamborghini (cool too) - Breakdown?
??? - was a yellow Race Car - that's who Tracks is going to be renamed after - Drag Strip???
And there was a grey car as well - think it was also a Porshe. Not sure.
the truck was called????

Menacor was the combiner.

Right?

What's wrong with Hound's arm articulation? Are his legs poseable? How do you rate him as an "action figure?"

JediTricks
08-13-2004, 01:42 AM
I'm sure they'll be in your stores tomorrow, just in really short supply because there are still a few SideSwipe stragglers on the shelves. Be dilligent. Keep in mind that LA and San Diego share regional warehouses so whatever comes here goes to you too one way or the other.

BTW, Hound doesn't have the turning front wheels, instead he gets working suspension.

Had to look 'em up, Stunticons:
Breakdown was the Lamborghini
Dead End was the Porsche
Dragstrip was the yellow F-1 racer
Wildrider was the Ferrari (where is the Ferrari Alternator dangit?!?)
and Motormaster was the truck.

His shoulders are very limited ball-joints, so limited that he can't really tilt them at all. Elbows are a single hinge joint. Wrists only fold up for transformation. Decent for a regular TF but not the level we've gotten with the previous 2 (neither of which have perfect articulation here really either).

The waist is articulated high up but the front wheels that got folded down often get in the way of this, and also of the hip articulation. His legs are pretty well articulated, ball-jointed hips, single knee (but with a second odd bend possible due to transforming), and universal ankles/feet.

As an action figure, I'd say he's on-par with the other 2 but as an "adult collectible action figure" the issue gets a little stickier (SideSwipe suffered from this as well).

Adam
08-13-2004, 06:03 PM
I picked up TFU Whirl today. Saw the Beast machine repaints with minicons and left it there..

Someone from my area found Bulkhead but I came up short...

JediTricks
08-13-2004, 09:40 PM
So, how is TFU Whirl?

On Hound, I forgot to mention that I think the vehicle mode needs coil spring shapes sculpted to the suspension housings, the flat black panels show too easily.

Here's my take on Dead End:
Well, Dead End is pretty interesting, this is the first Alternators fig I want to display in vehicle mode because it just looks so damn cool. DE shares the same door & hood problems that SideSwipe suffers from, but if you don't open the doors they at least stays put on DE tho' there seems to be no hope for the hood staying absolutely shut. The new top and rear end are very striking, the "Dead End" license plate in the back with the 'Con logo is the only out-of-place touch about this bad boy.

The transformation is almost the same as SS's except the instructions expect the impossible from the windshield sliding up before moving the rear shell since there's a friggin' ROOF there! The arms are transformed slightly different from SS which were confusing enough to begin with, these are just laid out flat till the elbow instead of completely curled up. The most shocking change is how the torso comes together, the Hasbro instructions on SS majorly screwed this up on that fig but once you figured out how things actually went it was smooth sailing - however on DE, the windshield does NOT fold into the convertable top housing (which obviously is not here and in its place is a different shape of shell) so on DE the windshield ends up holding the upper torso from rotating around by simple friction, I can't get it aligned so there's no play, the windshield just wasn't designed to hold his guts in like this. I guess this wouldn't be such an issue if I weren't so used to SideSwipe's transformation, but because I am, the little changes become exaggerated.

Dead End's changes in transformation give a different feeling to bot mode than a simple body clone a la Smokescreen/Silverstreak. DE's colors all work to his advantage, his red arms stand out but work with the windshield belly. The rear window folds down almost out of the way, but is ultimately still a bubble behind the head sticking out of a big ol' shell; speaking of the shell, they took away the cool missiles and replaced 'em with a silver screen shape. Finally, the head seems a little blocky and underdetailed, as if someone had taken a smaller Transformer's head and upsized him - I guess I was spoiled by the work on Smokescreen because really all the other new Alternators so far have suffered the same. Woulda been nice if they repainted the engine block weapon though.

All in all, Dead End is very nifty remold and as the first 'Con in the line, does bring the goods - he looks like he could cause trouble for any of the Autobots out now in battle or a race.

Adam
08-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Well, it is a G1 figure, so there's not much articulation. I like the way he transforms though. He looks kinda plain in bot mode because most of the camo get turned around..

JediTricks
08-15-2004, 09:27 PM
I thought TFU Whirl was originally from G2, not G1. Doesn't sound like there's much to get excited over with this one. Oh well, thanks for the info.

BTW, at WM, I spotted a few new Galaxy Defender robots that are bootlegs of various sources and they had a new one, a knock-off of Armada Megatron. Usually these boots are of old sets, this was surprising to see because this tank Megs is within 2 years. No electronics or minicon, and there were changes with the face and simplifications of various parts, but this is definitely Armada Megs.

Tycho
08-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Did a pretty good toy hunt this morning - no sign of Hound or Silverstreak in San Diego that I can tell (and I can usually tell).

I wish I had Hound.... :cry:

I have to cry some more. Wait a minute.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

OK. I feel better now. :( I think.

Adam
08-16-2004, 09:15 PM
I think Whirl was one of those molds released in as a European exclusive during G1.

JediTricks
08-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Sorry Tycho, keep lookin' though, you'll find it soon I'm sure. Hound and Dead End are probably the best "action figures" in the line really because their transformations are complex but not terribly frustrating and their bot modes are articulated but not floppy. Also, I forgot to mention that Hound's wrists rotate.

Adam, I just looked it up, TFU Whirl is the G2 turbomaster Rotorstorm, a euro/canada-exclusive from '92 that 5 years later got a very limited release in the Machine Wars line.

So check it, here's a gallery of an Alternators Grimlock test-shot: http://community.webshots.com/album/175879910zYlVis/0
I dunno if the floorpan can fit behind the torso or not, there's a hinge involved in transformation but it looks like the torso's shape keeps the pan from closing off that empty empty torso... oh my word is it empty from the back! He seems so puny from any angle except dead-on. His sword is a little short but I'd still call it a sword. Someone on the bwtf.com forums noticed that this figure's head has separate eyes sculpted in, I thought that was kinda interesting.

And remember when I said I'd like to see a Honda S2000 Alternator? He doesn't have a name yet, but here it is: http://community.webshots.com/album/175884234GvppZH
I think this looks awesome, the legs are designed like SideSwipe's but the upper body appears to be a new transformation scheme with a hint of Tracks. The rifle is formed from the engine and the driveshaft, that is very cool. The bot is very sleek and the vehicle kibble is mostly moved out of the way like the doors and hood unlike SideSwipe. The alt mode has a removable softtop and "top down" covering. I can't wait.

Adam
08-17-2004, 11:03 PM
European TF exclusives are hard to judge if you don't have packaging. As I recall, G1 didn't stop in Europe when it did in the US which is why some molds were exclusive there. I think there was a point in time when G2 started in America that Europe was still getting stuff under G1. People just say it is G2 because of the time it came out. I can't be certain, I'm not expert in that time frame. The real test would be to find a packged picture of him.

JediTricks
08-17-2004, 11:48 PM
This is the best pic I could find right now, and I can't tell...

Tycho
08-18-2004, 01:54 AM
I can't say for certain, but the unnamed Alternator JT posted a link to pictures of doesn't look all that hot to me.

I'd rather get Dead End than this guy.

Plus it's another Red Sports car. Some varying color choices might be cool:

Sideswipe - Red
Dead End - black (looks very cool)

Smokescreen - blue
Silverstreak - blue

Hound - green
Swindle - tan (or maroon would work though be non-traditional)

Tracks - blue (traditional and appropriate)
??? - Yellow (Yes? I've heard this) Could be cool for Dragstrip (stunticon)

Grimlock - white
???? - will they use his mold for someone else? Wildrider or Breakdown?

Meister - white...

The car choices, too...

Dodge Viper
Subarua ???
Jeep Wrangler
Ford Mustang
Chevy Corvette
Honda?

What is Meister anyway?

So OK, we could have:

Porshe? - 911, Carerra
Ferrari? - Testarosa, F-40, Boxer
Lamborghini? - Countach, Diablo
BMW? - ???
Mercedes? SL-50 convertable
Hummer? - H2 - should have been Grimlock right here, but Ironhide?
Plymouth Voyager? - Ratchet, Ironhide
Volkswagon - Beetle or Golf - Bumblebee, Cliffjumper
Ford F-350 - Kup?

Can we assign cars to Blurr, HotRod, Springer, RC, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Mirage, Prowl

Who else?

plasticfetish
08-18-2004, 02:39 AM
I'm not expert in that time frame. The real test would be to find a packged picture of him.From Alvarez's "Unofficial Guide to Japanese and International Transformers" we have...

kool-aid killer
08-18-2004, 12:21 PM
So check it, here's a gallery of an Alternators Grimlock test-shot: http://community.webshots.com/album/175879910zYlVis/0
I dunno if the floorpan can fit behind the torso or not, there's a hinge involved in transformation but it looks like the torso's shape keeps the pan from closing off that empty empty torso... oh my word is it empty from the back! He seems so puny from any angle except dead-on. His sword is a little short but I'd still call it a sword. Someone on the bwtf.com forums noticed that this figure's head has separate eyes sculpted in, I thought that was kinda interesting.

Wow, he looks horrible from behind. But i still want him. :crazed:

JediTricks
08-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Plus it's another Red Sports car. Some varying color choices might be cool:It's a test-shot, so this figure could be in ANY color, test shots are sometimes thrown with whatever color is in the machine at the time. Blue would have been nice here though, the S2000 looks good in blue, silver, metallic green (lighter than Hound's), or even yellow.

Sideswipe - Red
Dead End - black (looks very cool)

Smokescreen - blue
Silverstreak - blue

Hound - green
Swindle - tan (or maroon would work though be non-traditional)

Tracks - blue (traditional and appropriate)
??? - Yellow (Yes? I've heard this) Could be cool for Dragstrip (stunticon)

Grimlock - white
???? - will they use his mold for someone else? Wildrider or Breakdown?

Meister - white... Silverstreak is silver, Swindle is yellow, and Grimlock is silver. These are done deals, or am I not understanding your list?

The car choices, too...

Dodge Viper
Subarua ???
Jeep Wrangler
Ford Mustang
Chevy Corvette
Honda?

What is Meister anyway? Subaru WRC (Smokescreen) and WRX (Silverstreak). Honda S2000, and I gather Swindle is going to be a Rubicon. Meister/Jazz is a Mazda RX-8.

Porshe? - 911, Carerra Neither are terribly current vehicles I think, maybe a Cayenne, that's all I can think of that's new from them and not just more of the same ol'.

Ferrari? - Testarosa, F-40, Boxer Again, not terribly current, and I think you mean "Boxter" which is the Porsche. Ferrari 360 Modena would be awesome.

Lamborghini? - Countach, Diablo Countach is over, Diablo is retired, so I guess the Murcielago and that other one, neither of which look as good as their predecessors.

BMW? - ??? Z4 & the 645Ci are their coolest cars I think, though I'd take a Z8 as well.

Mercedes? SL-50 convertable They have a sportier car than that too, I think.

Hummer? - H2 - should have been Grimlock right here, but Ironhide? Ugh, no H2s please, just the classic H1. BTW, you can put AM General's Hummer under Chevy since that's who is making/selling the civilian ones.

Plymouth Voyager? - Ratchet, Ironhide Minivans? I'd take SUVs but please, no Minivans.

Volkswagon - Beetle or Golf - Bumblebee, Cliffjumper Golf?!?

Ford F-350 - Kup? I'd rather have the Chevy SSR.

PF, I am pretty sure that's the "Storm" European version. From what I've read, these were marketed in Europe in several different ways, sometimes turbomasters, sometimes cannonmasters, sometimes Rotorstorm and sometimes just Storm. I think the reasoning for putting this into G2 is because in the US, G1 ended in '90 and in Europe the releases were very confused.

KAK, he also looks kinda funked from angles I think.

plasticfetish
08-18-2004, 09:30 PM
PF, I am pretty sure that's the "Storm" European version. From what I've read, these were marketed in Europe in several different ways, sometimes turbomasters, sometimes cannonmasters, sometimes Rotorstorm and sometimes just Storm. I think the reasoning for putting this into G2 is because in the US, G1 ended in '90 and in Europe the releases were very confused.Yeah, exactly, that's a pic of the European version. I'd just as soon call it a G2 figure also, but it doesn't much matter since I'll probably never own either the European or Machine Wars versions. (Fugly colors!)

Saw TFU Whirl today at Target BTW, and it's OK -- a much better color scheme than past versions for sure.

JediTricks
08-18-2004, 09:52 PM
"Rotorstorm" is also a Euro/Canada release. Very confusing.

Adam
08-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Well, European G2 packaging said G2 on it.. so technically it is G1.. ah, but who cares really?

Adam
08-23-2004, 12:25 AM
mmmm new alternator..: http://community.webshots.com/album/175884234GvppZH

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 01:08 AM
Mmmm, I already linked to him last week. ;) Post 235: 345409

Adam
08-23-2004, 10:18 PM
I was too lazy to look back and see. Oh well, it was worth looking at again!

Did we ever talk about Energon combiners in package?

JediTricks
08-23-2004, 11:45 PM
I have the pics saved to my HD and look at them every once in a while, I do that with most of the TFs out there (but not SW for some reason). Any comments about it or replies to the stuff I said? I'm surprised how lukewarm the reception has been for this S2000 Alternator.

No, I don't think we have talked about E's combiners in packaging. I have heard on another board that the gestalt limb recolors will be released a wave after the originals, which I find so stupid I cannot tell you.

Adam
08-24-2004, 01:58 AM
I doubt those people know more than rumors.. the listing for whatever assortment those will be in haven't been released yet, as far as I know.

I think the S2000, who I will refer to as Overdrive untill it is named, is pretty damn cool. I like his gun.

Steamhammer Front: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1145.jpg
Steamhammer Back: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1146.jpg
Stormjet Front: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1147.jpg
Stormjet Back: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1148.jpg
EE Ironhide Front: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1153.jpg
EE Ironhide Back: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1154.jpg
WOW I'm glad the green isn't that bright on the final product!
Wing Saber Front: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1155.jpg
Wing Saber Back: http://www.sonicalbum.com/vip/271247/pic.aspx?name=1156.jpg

I like how they are handling the Gestaults on the back package.

BTW, I noticed the other day that TFU Fireflight is out too.

JediTricks
08-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, I hope the rumors are false, I want 'em all at the same time.

Yeah, ok, I see how the head looks like the G1 omnibot Overdrive, so provided we don't have another Sunstreaker/Dead End situation, I think that's a fair guess. Overdrive had a small gun and a flying mode though, so I'm not going to rename all those photos in my computer "Overdrive" just yet. ;)

I agree with you on the gestalt packaging back, it does look pretty neat. I guess these will be blue-cog combiners, it's on the packaging that way, I suppose the blue ties in with the blue energon parts. Stormjet packaged looks a little like Scorponok's jet mode, especially at the "wings". These gestalt names are kinda dopey though, "Construction Maximus"?

I had faith that E-Ironhide wasn't going to be the bright green color of the Hasbro photo, it just seemed way too over the top and too dissimilar to the OTFCC and test shot photos.

I still don't see what everybody is so excited over with WingSaber, even that Hasbro photo on the cardback is a big, fat, Power-Rangersy brick with almost no articulation at all.